Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick.
Speaker 1: Shots, streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the.
Speaker 2: Official Dallas Cowboys at.
Speaker 1: Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a fabulous football flannel Thursday. Here Shots Hi BC podcast Studio. There are football players get ready to go on a football field. Football in listed his flannel ready to go.
Speaker 1: I mean that particular chore that you do.
Speaker 4: Know.
Speaker 1: You guys woke up this morning, but it was thirty seven degrees okay, and there was frost down the punkin.
Speaker 2: Oh wow? So for real?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you guys lived down south?
Speaker 2: Yeah, down south.
Speaker 3: So Mickey came in with this plannel underwear on his panel shirt. Just got back from a concert.
Speaker 1: Pretty style.
Speaker 5: He was sweeping leaves, That's what he was doing. You swept leaves this morning?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: What's about? What do you?
Speaker 1: What do you got on?
Speaker 3: He's got his.
Speaker 2: He just came from the gym the day.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Is that your fla you use when you're right? You know? Does that inspire you cross more than that shirt? What do you got? He gets his.
Speaker 3: Mickey goes to his cabin and gets his quill out.
Speaker 1: They can smell fresh caves, you guys are asking for. I've got four more. I just start wearing them every day.
Speaker 5: Okay, man, that would be cool because that's the first thing I saw when I walked in here, all of this visual about.
Speaker 2: Wow, man, nice shirt.
Speaker 1: I got a few more that I'll stand out, all right, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Looks.
Speaker 1: I think I got one for tomorrow. And the urdy colors black and gold.
Speaker 2: That's cool. I want to see some unique flannel stuff, that's right. All right.
Speaker 3: Well, it's already been a busy day as Mike McCarthy had his press conference just moments ago. I'm looking at the NFL network right now and they're doing a discussion of Mike McCarthy's press conference on Monday, when the sun was shining on us.
Speaker 2: Nobody have to pull the curtain.
Speaker 1: Nobody in TV had a shade with him that day.
Speaker 5: Oh my goodness, I know that somebody.
Speaker 2: What is it.
Speaker 3: So makey shine the light on what Mike McCarthy had to say today.
Speaker 1: Well, when he was talking about guys here on this extensive injury report, he wanted to point out that it was a walk through practice, so when anybody showed up as full, it's like, don't get too far ahead of yourself, although Jerry surely did. On Doran Bland when they asked, what is your confidence that he'll be able to play, he said, yes, I do so he thinks the lands.
Speaker 2: Ready to go, so he ready to go. But mcar no, he didn't.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 3: Carthy is noncommittal until he sees him practice. Yes, because they didn't practice yesterday, because.
Speaker 1: He wants them to go through a real practice.
Speaker 2: Another y thing.
Speaker 1: Another well, but then there was questions about Zach Martin and Tyler Smith to McCarthy that they did not practice, and he said, well, uh, we only had a walk through so it wasn't like a big practice. So doing probably the best they can to keep them off their feet, uh, and see what they can do by Saturday. So that's kind of the outlook there. Somebody was getting really excited about tumadoga practicing and he kind of squashed. He said, it was a walkthrough, and I'm thinking, in the back of my mind, oh, if it gets to that.
Speaker 3: I try, that's when you were going to walk out right?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that was that was I think that was in the walk off, So no, but time I told you, if he has yeah.
Speaker 3: If it comes to that, you're walking out of this studio.
Speaker 1: Well you know what if they have if they have like three guys not able to play, and he can put a uniform on, he might have to go out there. He may still have to go out there as a backup if it's tough for him to put the uniform because as we talked yesterday, if if you know one more injury in the game, who is going to play? That was the defensive line, Well, if two of them can't go, he might need to be active.
Speaker 3: Did anyone ask Mike McCarthy that scenario.
Speaker 1: I was going to do it, but I didn't want to do it for everybody else to hear I meant like in the walk off, No, no one did, so I kept my mouth shut. Is this hoping I could run into somebody that can answer that question for me.
Speaker 3: By the way, this is a big day for a birthday today. You know whose birthday it is?
Speaker 2: Today?
Speaker 1: Today's November first, twenty First, I.
Speaker 3: Do no, it's quarterback Dan Nope, Troy yep. And there's another one. Oh really, Cooper Rush's birthday is Oh wow, Troy and Cooper same birthday. Troy fifty eight years old today and Cooper Rush is thirty one years old today.
Speaker 2: Nice fifty eight. I thought you were going to say he doesn't look it.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, I didn't. I had I was just thinking of fifty eight. I was trying to I think when I processing when I first met him, it was eighty nine, and he was what twenty one, twenty three, he was a little older than Yeah, when did you meet him eighty nine?
Speaker 4: I mean what well they had when the press conference, when he distracted you, when he was actually blackly when he Yeah, I kept remember if they were bringing them in the day of the draft, they probably did.
Speaker 2: Did you know that the first players to meet Troy you were?
Speaker 1: I was you welcomed him? I did to the ranch, I.
Speaker 2: Know to we went foozies uh and off McKinny. Is it still there?
Speaker 1: I don't think.
Speaker 2: So. Drink it started with an S.
Speaker 1: Was the famous drink? They had a famous drink? Where was McKinney Okay? And so Jerry, Yeah, I don't think it's still there.
Speaker 7: So was this after he was drafted? Orf he was drafted. I believe it was after he was drafted. I was a captain of the team at that time, and Jerry, his wife Lee Steinberg. Everybody was there. I want to say everybody. I mean, like the close people.
Speaker 3: So Jerry wanted to get a captain who enjoyed fraternizing.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why they invited me.
Speaker 5: I was like, hey, sure, I said, maybe you're gonna go get some foodsy She's like yeah, because we hung out out there all the time, and so I don't know why they chose that place, but we were there and I met him and I told him. I remember the words I said was, I said, so where you think about the new owner? And he goes, oh, man, he's a lot. I think that was his statement, was he's kind of a lot. He's a little extra. And I said, well that's okay, man. I said, he loves you, and I said he's going to take care of you. That's what I said, He is going to take care of you. So you just be ready to lead this team. I think that was basically all we said to each other. And you know, he had snuffing, you know whatever.
Speaker 3: He had Oklahoma right, but he still had Henryette Oklahoma in his lip.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But here's the thing though, then you know Lee Steinberg, He's got it in his mouth, and you know, he was just doing it because Troy was doing it. And I'll never forget that. Like Lee couldn't even he couldn't even use the cup, right, Yeah, you know. So we sat there, you know, Jerry and my wife were talking and we just everybody was just around there talking.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever told that story. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I was like the I was the first teammate that Troy Aikman met.
Speaker 1: Do you know who Steinberg's first client was, No, you, No, No, Steve Young, No, Steve is right, Steve Pellure, Steve it was nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 3: Oh, ninetevent five, a quarterback, Yes, Steve Markowski.
Speaker 1: Yes, wow, I think he was the first pick, yeah, first or yeah, that was his first yeah, yeah, and then he went from there ended up with Troy. As a matter of fact, I was in New York City for the NFL for the NFL meeting. He didn't talk to you when you were on.
Speaker 3: The team because he kept intercepting him in practice.
Speaker 2: He had stuff to do. It was important, man.
Speaker 1: I was in New York City for the NFL meeting to confirm Jerry as the owner, and that day they Steinberg came to agreement with the Cowboys to sign Troy.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 1: When he showed up the first day at training camp, myself and I think it was Edward or we were standing out in front of the gym where John Wooden would have his basketball camp or whatever, waiting for Troy to come because he knew we were going to talk to him. And he shows up in a beat up pickup truck, right, and he's dressed in those those the great sweats that you would buy flannel shirt, the gray sweats that you would buy at a supermarket or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, and I'm going, then we used to wear.
Speaker 1: This guy just signed what nine million dollars guaranteed contract and he just kind of shows up like he was from Henrietta, Oklahoma. It was pretty funny back.
Speaker 2: In the day.
Speaker 5: Man, we don't know what we were thinking. We had the half shirts going and you couldn't tell. Yeah they were they weren't just torn.
Speaker 1: They would designed that have overalls too.
Speaker 2: No, I didn't do that. I think I did have some of it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I had one that was the dress.
Speaker 3: You were the half shirt t shirts when you.
Speaker 5: Were No, I just want in practice. No I didn't wear that stuff out in the street.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm saying in practice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, just in practice.
Speaker 3: But I did do yeah, wear practice MacArthur. Yeah, okay, okay, the practiced in high school. And then I had regular T shirts that turned into half T shirts later in life.
Speaker 2: If you kept them long enough, Yes.
Speaker 3: Because your belly got so big the half T shirts it would.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that one. Yeah all right.
Speaker 3: So ever since got another engagement that he needs to get.
Speaker 2: To fifty steps away.
Speaker 3: Twelve twenty five.
Speaker 2: So here's what we're going. Here's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: We want to get as much production. We want to get as much production as we can out of Everson in a limited time.
Speaker 2: They're gonna have you read. Yeah, so how are.
Speaker 3: We going to do this then? Because we got to get a read out of you. I was gonna take it all the way.
Speaker 1: Well the last thing he does before he leaves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so.
Speaker 3: We're going to do the read before the break now, No, like when we go to break or what I was thinking is we'll just do a longer first segment. We'll go all the way to twelve twenty five, then you and then you do the read, and then you're dismissed.
Speaker 1: Because by god, if you don't do the read, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know that right exactly, all right, So we need to get Everson talking about this, Washington.
Speaker 1: So your impressions of Jaden Daniels.
Speaker 5: You know, I think he's ahead of most rookies that have come out and quite some time. This is not a fluke what he's doing. Even though he's going against what we talked about some of the lesser teams in the league. He's still a college quarterback throwing against professional ball players, and he's completing his passes. Take out the Hail Mary, Hail Mary's it has a lot to do with a whole lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: Take that out.
Speaker 5: He's still shown to be an extremely good quarterback, especially for his age. And of course, you know, you got my boy Doug Williams there, and Doug Williams extremely proud of him. Of course, being in a black quarterback from HBCU, Doug Williams from Louisiana and then here's Jade and Daniels played the LSU black quarterback. They've really got a nice little connection going there. And when you have somebody like that, a mentor like Doug Williams that can help out a young man like Daniels.
Speaker 2: I think he's still twenty one.
Speaker 1: Years old, No, got to be more than that.
Speaker 2: He's more than twenty one.
Speaker 1: I mean he spent three stage.
Speaker 2: That may have a lot to do with the showing. Yeah, he has played.
Speaker 3: Well, he's twenty three. He turns twenty four next month.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 5: Nice, So what you have is, you know a guy that's the He's the opposite of.
Speaker 2: Trey Lance exactly.
Speaker 5: He's gotten a lot of playing time, a lot of experience going against some really good defensive backs in the SEC, while quarterback in the LSU, and of course coming here to the NFC East, he's really shown that he's not there yet. Of course he's not there yet, but as far as a rookie's concerned, he's ahead of the curve.
Speaker 1: Sue McCarthy keeps talking about him and says he one of the things he's point pointed out twice this week is that he's played a lot of football. And you know, McCarthy's a big proponent of college quarterback staying there as long as they can.
Speaker 5: Here's the problem with with Daniels, that's he's he's to me a Lamar Jackson without the throwing difficulties when he first came out of college. I think he's a very patented quarterback. I think he's got it going on. I think he's very accurate. His throwing motion, his his mechanics, all of that is there. Now, it's just a matter of him putting it together as a professional. He hadn't done that yet. But the danger that he is the most dangerous. He's the most dangerous when he's completing passes and he's running out.
Speaker 2: Of the pocket. That is going to be a major problem.
Speaker 5: You think your boy in San Francisco was a problem, this guy is going to be a problem.
Speaker 2: When it comes to running the football. I saw him, We saw him in college.
Speaker 5: This guy's running fifty sixty yards some.
Speaker 3: Of the passes he threw too. But I was like, this is like a video game. It is what I'm seeing here.
Speaker 1: Well, one of the things that he's improved on from his first year at LSU was that at the first sight of danger, he would take off. Now he's kind of hanging in the pocket. He's scrambling to throw right, Yeah, he's not scrambling and.
Speaker 5: Then that when Lamar Jackson started to perfect history in motion, right, that's what made him more difficult. Instead of him scrambling to run, he as he got better, he's scrambling and setting up his own pass. And of course he's done that.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remarkably, I remember last year when LSU played Missouri and it was a close game and they got to a point and I don't know, they had just crossed the fifty yard line or something, and it was either third and long or fourth, and I'm yelling at the TV. He's going to run the football, do not worry about coverage. And he ran forty five yards for a touchdown.
Speaker 2: Here sounds better than he passes.
Speaker 5: And that's saying a lot for someone who passes as well as.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly, all right, here's an example of that. Just okay. He was at Arizona State for three years, and one of those years he was injured and only played four games. So two plus years as a starting quarterback at Arizona State and then two years at LSU. His first year at LSU fourteen games, they went ten and four. In his starts, he threw the ball three hundred eighty eight times and he ran it one hundred eighty six times his second year there. They were so efficient. Okay, well, he had two fewer games. He was nine and three as a starter, but three hundred and twenty seven attempts against one hundred and thirty five rushes. And look at these numbers here. He had his first year at LSU seventeen touchdowns and three interceptions, and his second year forty touchdowns and two fewer starts forty touchdowns and four interceptions. Now you look at him this year in the NFL, he's only thrown three interceptions this year.
Speaker 2: Wow, they Washington.
Speaker 3: Washington leads the league in fewest giveaways off with a rookie. They've got a rookie quarterback. He's thrown three interceptions in ten games and they've only lost two fumbles. The improvement that Washington has made on offense. In seventeen games last year, they had thirty two giveaways on offense in ten games. This year they've got five. Now boys had five in two different home games.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, what.
Speaker 2: You what you see with him?
Speaker 5: He could throw more, but I think he's being deliberately cautious because of you know what what Dan Quinn wants. Few with the few would turnovers the better and then let my defense give you another chance.
Speaker 3: And he's just got ten touchdown passes. That's one game.
Speaker 2: He's been very careful.
Speaker 5: He's been very he's been very careful, and you know, but he's playing within the system.
Speaker 2: They're letting the defense play for them.
Speaker 1: I noticed. So I went to the David O'Brien Award last year when he won the award fort Worth, and he was pretty sharp because when he did interviews, he had already learned say a lot, but say less, right, and he just was very short with his answers, and I'm going, okay, somebody might have I don't know if he's shy or somebody worked with him, but I was kind of impressed on how he handled himself and basically going on of his way to congratulate the rest of the guys on the team. It wasn't all me.
Speaker 5: Well, you know you the better quarterbacks, most quarterbacks you get in the first round these days, they know better. Yeah, and he stepped right into that mode better than anybody.
Speaker 1: So the Cowboys defense got a handful.
Speaker 5: Well they do, but but as long as they keep playing solid, he's you allow him. Sorry, you don't allow him to really get on a streak. He hadn't really gotten on that streak yet. And if we can cover his wide receivers, then we're going to make him pull that ball down, you know, because he does not want to commit those turnovers, so we get if we start to get turnovers, I think that's gonna shake him up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Even if we just getting.
Speaker 5: An interception, that's something that he's not going to be accustomed to. But playing at home, they're gonna be riding high guys, they're gonna be riting some cowboys, cowboys, the wounded cowboys, taking a chance to pick on us like everybody else is. Unless we come back with some more personnel that can show us up a little bit, then we're gonna have the there's gonna be status quo for us going into so I guess yep.
Speaker 3: So Jade Daniels has run for four hundred and eighty two yards this season. That's five point two yards of carry on ninety two carries with four touchdowns. Cowboys leading Russier Rico Dowdell has four hundred two yards rushing well and no touch Think about on ninety three so Dwdell has ninety three carries for four hundred two yards. Daniels has ninety two carries for four hundred and eighty two yards. That's their just their quarterback, and think they're not even taking consideration Brian Robinson or Mickey's favorite Anglo American running back, Austin Xler.
Speaker 1: You know what, one of these days.
Speaker 2: You're still talking about that.
Speaker 1: At one of these days.
Speaker 5: The black women at the house, and I'm like, what is bags talking about.
Speaker 1: You're gonna hit my breaking point at one point, and I don't think you want to see that happen. You're right, I don't want to when.
Speaker 5: You start talking about this familing ability and the improvisation of McDaniels.
Speaker 2: You who Daniels? So you have to.
Speaker 1: I thought you said, can't imagine you have to make a mistake.
Speaker 2: You got me, You got me. But the defense gotta be smart.
Speaker 5: They be because a player like that can goat you and goat you and bait you and bait you into things that you don't necessarily do. The players have to be smart in you andison on defense.
Speaker 2: You can't have one guy.
Speaker 5: Doing one thing, another guy doing one another thing coming up on the quarterback, leaving somebody wide open behind you, who might run for catch, catching, run for forty yards?
Speaker 3: All right, Ever, soon I got one more nugget for you before you leave, all right? The uh. The dan Quinn's Falcons met Mike McCarthy's Packers in the NFC Championship Game in twenty sixteen. Falcons won forty four to twenty one. They went on to the Super Bowl and blew the twenty eight to three lead to the Patriots. Right, okay, how many Mickey, you can join in on this. How many current head coaches in the National Football League were on dan Quinn's coaching staff in twenty sixteen with the Falcons.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, all the assistance there there were five.
Speaker 3: There are five.
Speaker 2: Current on the Falcons alone.
Speaker 3: On the Falcons coaching staff in twenty sixteen under dan Quinn, five current head coaches were on that coaching staff, starting with the offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, the quarterbacks coach Matt Lafleur is now the Packers head coach, offensive assistant Mike McDaniel, the Dolphin coach now assistant head coach Raheem Morris, who's now the Falcons head coaches, and their linebackers coach was Jeff Olbrick, who is now the interim head coach of the New York Jets. They also had.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 3: So there are five head coaches current head coaches, and then two coordinators in the league. The coaching intern on that staff was Adam Dirty, who's now the defensive coordinator of the Seattle Seahawks. And it was here, yes, and then an offensive assistant was Mike Lafleur, Matt's brother, who is the offensive coordinator of the Rams. Now how about that for a coaching staff. Now you've got to go. Is that your alarm and you're picking the Cowboys to win?
Speaker 5: I'm picking the Cowboys too. I put it like this, If the Cowboys are going to win, this is what.
Speaker 2: They have to do.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, let's do it like that. They're going to have to pay play smart on defense. The secondary is gonna have to play our safety. I'm gonna I'm begging for Donovan Wilson to have a good game because if he has a good game, we can stop a lot of touchdowns.
Speaker 2: We could.
Speaker 5: If we're gonna win this game, it'll have to be twenty five, No, make that twenty.
Speaker 2: Seven, twenty seven twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Man, we can stop messing up on If we can stop screwing ourselves, we can score some points. So let's say we go in here and we play a better game mentally than we've ever played.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven to twenty.
Speaker 5: Hold Daniels down, make him confused, play some good one on one in the secondary. Twenty seven to twenty, and I'm looking at Donovan Wilson to finally come to play in a football.
Speaker 2: Game, you know.
Speaker 3: And the Cowboys Mike Zimmer's defense has more interceptions this season than Dan In and Jill Whitt juniors.
Speaker 2: Not what I thought. I would never have thought.
Speaker 1: What about sacks.
Speaker 3: Twenty four for Dallas and twenty nine for.
Speaker 1: That's all they got?
Speaker 3: No, wait a second, I may have that wrong. Let's see.
Speaker 2: I'm out.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're out. Yeah, twenty nine for watching.
Speaker 1: It take you four minutes to walk up the stairs.
Speaker 2: You don't want to do the he's a double booker.
Speaker 3: Did the read out right?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: For the break?
Speaker 3: Before the break?
Speaker 2: You're doing the reading now? Okay, all right, I got the right one.
Speaker 5: Thursday, RKKO Cowboys Nation, It's time to get the giving season going.
Speaker 2: Tune in to see.
Speaker 5: Country music superstar Laney Wilson and special guests performed during the Salvation Salvation Armies Annual Red Kettle Kickoff halftime show this Thanksgiving on Fox. Every donation stays in the community to provide help and hope for those in need. So tune in to watch the Cowboys, Giants and Laney Wilson this Thanksgiving and give today at Salvation Army USA dot org.
Speaker 2: Bam, get out of here.
Speaker 1: Wow big award last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Country musical music man.
Speaker 2: No Beyonce, I didn't watch it all.
Speaker 3: Right, see you ever soon and we're back and over say go Cowboys.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends.
Speaker 2: You want to stay at the.
Speaker 5: Team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 6: Hey Cowboy Fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, Don't worry. Even us pros were rookies and crypto wants. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 3: Prascott keeps it slides with a first.
Speaker 6: Down, investilate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect grow My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot Com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here with football season kicking off, I'm already gear enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates.
Speaker 1: But with that Texas heat, it's crucial.
Speaker 8: To keep my beer handcramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster can cooler comes in clutch this year. You can even get them with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed Yetie Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions and on Yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valorine combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Demitt shots.
Speaker 3: Our thanks to Everson Walls for stopping by and paying a visit today here on mixed Shots. I'm scanning social media and I saw this Mickey Spagnola from the Giants practice. And of course one week from today, the Cowboys are facing the Giants on Thanksgiving Day?
Speaker 1: Are they gonna buy this week?
Speaker 3: Daniel Jones spent part of the open portion of practice today wearing a red Scout team jersey, lined up at safety during an offensive install period. He was joined on the Scout team d by some practice squad offensive lineman and some assistant coaches. Now, yes, yep, Daniel Jones is now relegated to scout team safety for the Giants.
Speaker 1: I think I read that he wasn't going to be the backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: Right because they cannot take the risk of activating his twenty three million dollars guarantee for next season by getting hurt. So he's inactive, right, he'll be because they also signed Tim Boyle this week, so they've got these fourth team quarterback on their run.
Speaker 1: So he won't even be the inactive third quarterback.
Speaker 3: Maybe no, he may not even make the trip.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Who do they play?
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm not even sure who they're playing.
Speaker 1: They're playing a home game, I believe. Oh, okay, yeah they play.
Speaker 3: But while you're looking it up, they get So the starter's Tommy DeVito, and they got Drew Locke, and they just signed Tim Boyle to the practice squad, and so Daniel Jones is number four on the depth chart right now.
Speaker 1: They're trying to save money because this was his last year of guaranteed money if I remember.
Speaker 3: Correct, right, and if they have there's a bonus that would get activated in March. If he's hurt, then this is on the hook for it, Tampa Bay.
Speaker 1: This is another example of when you see a total amount for a quarterback. It's not always the total amount, it's you've got to look at where the guarantees run out. And so this will be the second time the Cowboys played Tommy DeVito. They played last year last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and how about just just look at the and we've said this even going into the season, this schedule that the Cowboys had from late September until basically since the last time they faced the Giants in the Thursday night game up there you're looking at. They played at Pittsburgh, which is a first place team. They played Detroit, a first place team, was probably the best team in the league. They after a bye week, played at San Francisco, which was a super Bowl team last year. Now they're five and five right now. Then at Atlanta, a first place team, home against Philadelphia, a first place team, and now on the road, well Houston at home the first place team, and now at Washington, which spent much of the season in first place. The only reason they're not in first place is because Philadelphia is in first place.
Speaker 1: And Philadelphia beat them and they're seven and four Washington, but they're in that's the second place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But that's the stretch that the Cowboys are and then the Giants come here next week. So the Giants bookend. This is a six game stretch. It is a six or seven game stretch seven ninth Yeah, seven games stretch. Lost, Yeah, and they won. They beat Pittsburgh in five straight losses and now Washington. So it's seven game stretch in the middle of the season where there aren't a lot of teams in the league. And this is no excuses for the Cowboys, but there aren't a lot of teams in the league that are going better than five are going four and three and against that schedule.
Speaker 1: But this is, as I pointed out yesterday, the price you pay for winning the division and not capitalizing on that success in the playoffs.
Speaker 3: And the difference on that there are three teams in this stretch that the Cowboys played because they finished in first place last year. That's Detroit, San Francisco, and Houston.
Speaker 1: Right, and Washington finishing in last place. Ended up with Arizona, Tennessee and Chicago.
Speaker 3: Now, as it turns out, Arizona's got a decent tea.
Speaker 1: When they played am Arizona was one and two. No, there you go, And so yeah, that's that's the significant difference. It was Arizona and who Tennessee and then who in Chicago in Chicago, which was a hail Mary, right, which, by the way, if they don't, if Jaden Daniels doesn't complete the Hail Mary, they're six and five and people aren't talking about.
Speaker 3: And would would that be three three out of four? The Giant they played the Giant. They beat the Giants twenty seven to twenty two in the middle of that.
Speaker 1: So part of their their their victories. They've got to play the Giants already twice.
Speaker 3: A twenty seven two win and a twenty one to eighteen win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, And they've gotten to play Cincinnati losing record, Cleveland losing record, Carolina losing record, Chicago losing record.
Speaker 3: Their best win of the year is the ARIZONAA. They beat Arizona out there forty two to fourteen, right in the fourth game of the season.
Speaker 1: And they lost to Tampa Bay the season opener. So look where Washington was last year at this time. The fact that they've turned it around in seven and four, and I don't care you know who they've beaten, it's pretty miraculous turnaround. Now we'll see if it sticks because the rest of the way. Well, after after Dallas, which is a losing record, they played Tennessee losing record, New Orleans losing record, and then they have Philadelphia, Atlanta and the Cowboys again.
Speaker 3: Well, as we all know, one of the biggest factors is staying healthy, right and they've been able for the most part to stay healthy this season, and so it's been a great year for them in terms of health. Right now, they're missing Jonathan Alleno as a torn peck, but so that's one big guy they're missing in their defensive line. But as it turned out, they drafted in the second round Johnny Newton, who's filling in. You know, he was the thirty sixth pick in the draft, and he is healthy and he's lining up next to Deron Payn inside on their defense. But you look at their offensive line and they for the most part, they have been healthy all year. They were planning to split left tackle reps between Cornelius Lucas and Brandon Coleman all year. Lucas got hurt for a couple of games, but it was going to be Brandon Coleman's job eventually, and he's made six starts there. But Nick Alligretti at left guard has started every game, Tyler Biattish at center has started every game. Sam cosme Me at right guard has started every game, and Andrew Wiley at right tackle has started all but one game. And so they're healthy on their offensive line, although it's not the greatest offensive line in fact, Brandon Coleman a guy that I was touting out of TCU as a third round draft pick sixty seventh overall. I mean, he had his struggles last week against it Yeah, it was last week against Philadelphia. He struggled. It might be a guy you want to line mic up over there and see what he can do.
Speaker 1: And I think it's pretty ironic that there's a lot of folks talking about how well Tyler Biattish is playing, and it's like he played well last year, but he got picked on because he wasn't perfect, right, and then they pay him a whole bunch of money, and the cowboyers are like, Okay, we just have to move on.
Speaker 3: And it was a three year, thirty million dollar deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, and the same thing with Armstrong and Dante Fowler. They followed the money.
Speaker 3: You know, Armstrong got three years, thirty three million. I don't have Fowlers written down here.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't it wasn't that much, but it was enough for him to go there and take the money, not to try to sign another one year deal here. So it's not like the Cowboys were like, well, we don't think much of those guys and they're gonna Somebody was talking about, well, those guys will be all fired up to play the Cowboys because the Cowboys didn't keep them. No, they couldn't afford them what they got offered by Washington.
Speaker 3: It's just that simple. Biggest moves that they made and I like their draft, but the biggest moves they made to improve that team was on defense at linebacker with both Bobby Wagner right, who of course knows dan Quinn's defense by heart, and Frankie Luvu, who they signed the unrestricted free agent from Carolina, which was a three year, thirty six million dollar deal, And then they also signed from Carolina Jeremy Chin who is a very athletic, big safety type who can play linebacker. He is like the jy Ron curse in dan Quinn's defense. Sixty three to hundred two twenty pounds guy has a forty one vertical eleven six broad jump. They also got a corner who's playing now playing safety for them, Kwan Martin, second round pick last year. He's got a forty four vertical, so you've got athletic safeties. And I really like their second round pick this year out of Michigan. Who's starting at corner number zero for them, Mike Saindrastill, and he's starting. He's a smaller corner. He probably projects more as a slot guy in the future, but right now he's playing outside. They've got a big corner on the other side, Benjamin Saint just who was their third round pick in twenty twenty one. He's a six to three corner, so they got a six to three corner. And then sand Rastill is a five to ten guy who is a playmaker at Michigan, a huge reason Michigan won the national championship last year.
Speaker 1: So if you're trying to throw the ball over Martin's head, you better throw it high. He can jump forty four.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And by the way, Marshawn Lattimore was not practicing.
Speaker 3: Yep, he's hamstring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but didn't he they just was he the one they just acquired or he had been there.
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, they traded for him. They traded the deadline went from New Orleans, all right.
Speaker 1: But he came with a bad hamstring because he wasn't playing.
Speaker 3: But they got for the long haul. Yeah, all right, the long haul this season, all right. Mix Shots continues in a moment.
Speaker 8: Hey y'all, Matt Pittman of Meat Church here. With football season kicking off, I'm already gearing enough to bring the smoker back to AT and T Stadium for some epic tailgates. But with that Texas heat, it's crucial to keep my beer hand cramping cold. That's where Yeti's insulated colster canholer comes in clutch this year. You can even get him with the iconic star engraved on the side. Licensed YETI Cowboys gear is now available at stadium pro shops, concessions, and on yetti dot com. Check it out today. YETI official cooler and drinkware of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: Hey, Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallar Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win slides for the first down, investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, Wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 6: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 5: Star Sports Tools is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tools, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 10: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 2: What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates.
Speaker 10: Going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lyte and the Cook, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys, Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three Miler Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: Demitt Shuts celebrate the holiday season at AT and T Stadium. Get a tour of the home of the Dallas Cowboys, plus your photo with Santa and Missus class from December tenth through the fourteenth. Limited inventory is available Securior tickets today at AT and T Stadium, dot Com Slash Tours.
Speaker 3: One other guy I meant failed to mention the who's their third corner who gets a lot of snaps? He had fifty seven snaps against Philadelphia. It is the former Cowboy Noah Igbinoghany. Please, I mean, I mean he's a regular in their secondary. So their corners, their three corners are Sandra Still, Saint, Just Just and Noah Igbinoghany.
Speaker 1: Couldn't get off the bench here, that's exactly right.
Speaker 3: But but he's a former first round draft pick of the Dolphins.
Speaker 1: Speaking of corners, if Doron Bland plays and if Jordan Lewis can get back and play, it'll be the first time all three of them been on the field together. And did they list Jordan Lewis as limited.
Speaker 3: Okay, and they walked through he was limited.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was gonna wear one of the big collar things to help his shoulder neck problem. Okay, but those guys since they've been here, right, not all three at the same time, And we thought it was going to happen before the Detroit game. And then his foot cut after two practices and hadn't really practiced since then. That's a month ago the Detroit game.
Speaker 3: It was Texas ou weekend. It's October fourteenth or so.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's so he's been rehabbing and there was a buy in there too, right, right, So he missed Detroit and then San Francisco, but six weeks ago Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah geez.
Speaker 3: But now and so now you're sitting here looking at Okay, can't he go now? Or do you give him three extra days? Four extra days and go Thanksgiving?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Can't he go back to back?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: And we we also talking about the cornerbacks. They sort of liked what Amani Owarier was doing and now he's uninjured. Reason, so you had Bland there him, Jordan lewis missing. They just can't seem it's the same position, cornerback and defensive end. That they've suffered, you know, and it's one thing's okay, you got to have depth and you gotta have guys step up. But you're talking about guys off the practice squad that you were hoping we're going to step up.
Speaker 3: You see how many snaps Odegazua and Golston.
Speaker 1: Got I think had a bunch he had, both of them did.
Speaker 3: There were sixty four snaps on defense, and Osa had fifty seven, was in there for fifty seven sixty four for an interior defensive linement. And Chauncey Golston had sixty one of the sixty four snaps he was on the field.
Speaker 1: Well, they, I mean, who else are you gonna put out?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean they're they're holding down the fort.
Speaker 1: And then you get worn down by the fourth quarter.
Speaker 3: And now you're sitting here six days later playing game and then four days later playing a game. So they totally but that you're true to your point, that truly is a probably a big reason why the Cowboys are having issues in the second half of these games, right, is just because of the It's it's not the halftime adjustments, but it's the lack of bodies, the rotation to you know, guys get worn down over time.
Speaker 1: At least Marshawn Neeland was listed as limited in practice on the water. They need him back, yeah, and he's in his return to practice period, So if not this week, maybe next week.
Speaker 2: He can get back.
Speaker 1: But that's another spot we mentioned defensive end. You know, I saw Sam Williams sitting in the locker room the other day. You forget that they lost him before the season ever started. And what Mike has played two games now since his injury.
Speaker 3: Lawrence has been a huge.
Speaker 1: And DeMarcus Lawrence, we were kind of chit chatting with him yesterday and he says, yeah, I'm coming along, but it's it ain't gonna happen before Thanksgiving. So that hope is they get them before the end of the season.
Speaker 3: I mean, just again, I just think about it. This is great when you're talking about Washington. We're out of time here. We can talk about it more tomorrow. But the moves that the Cowboys made to offset the losses of Drance Armstrong to Washington and Dante Fowler to Washington. With Sam Williams was supposed to step up into a starting role Formers' second round draft pick, and they draft Marshawn Neeland.
Speaker 1: Who'd end up starting before he got hurt.
Speaker 3: And then there was other guys that they brought in, but those were the two key guys, and Williams never never basically saw a training camp practice, much less a regular season game. And then you lose Neelan a month into the season.
Speaker 1: And then you lose Parsons after, and.
Speaker 3: Then you lose Parsons over this the most critical stretch of the season. These Parsons for five games or whatever it was.
Speaker 1: And Lawson was a guy that they tried to bring in and he hadn't been with anybody, he hadn't gone to training camp with anybody, and like now.
Speaker 3: That Parsons is back and he got the full load. Basically, he had sixty one STAPs against Houston. Loston was down to fifteen snaps, which is what he should be at.
Speaker 1: And that's what he started off and out then out of a necessity, he was playing more.
Speaker 3: All right, does it for a Thursday edition of Mixed Shots and we will shout at you again tomorrow at noon. Where's the Go Cowboys Go?
Speaker 2: Cowboys? Oh Boy, Chris.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club