Speaker 1: Two on the Move, Glin Deep Speedways, Peace do Hell.
Speaker 2: From the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 3: This is Drivetime with Travis Wingfield.
Speaker 1: He's got my advand's in the playoffs.
Speaker 4: What is up Dolphins? And welcome to the Draft Time Podcast. I am your host, Travis Wingfield. And on today's show, football against another team and gosh, it was fun as hell out there. If Sergio dip we're here, he'd tell you I was having the time of my life in the stands, big plays, structurally sound defense, getting a challenge from the Falcons front, a practice that started heavily in favor of one side before evening out. On the day, we heard from the number one player in the NFL and Tyreek Hill. We also heard from Kalais Campbell. All of that and more from the Baptist Health Studios inside the Baptist Health Training Complex.
Speaker 5: This is.
Speaker 4: The Drivetime Podcast, taking a slight detour from our usual drive Today, we're going to be practice note heavy. I think I've struggled to describe this in the past, but now I know exactly how to paint this picture. You're basically watching two football practices in the same amount of time as one practice with both fields going in the exact same time at the exact same pace. Double the reps the one on ones alone are like there's barely enough room on the fields for them to get all their work in. They had to move the tight ends and backs versus the safeties and linebackers at one point because it was overlapping with the receivers in dB. So it's more condensed space, which I guess makes for a little bit more of an advantage for the defense since they are covering so much space normally, So I guess that's a positive. But what I'm trying to say is there is an insane amount of football to try to watch at one time. That's why I said, I think it's silly to a sign winners and losers on Twitter today to each session because you can lock in on. I mean, even when the Dolphins are out here by themselves and I'm trying to do receivers and DBS and O line, D line, you miss some reps because there's overlap and there are now six of these sessions going on at once on two fields, and if you're noting it and trying to locate numbers on the far field in a past rush situation where there is two walls of humanity on either side of the drill, it can be really difficult to get quality notes and observations and evaluations on this stuff, but we try our best. And with that said, I got one of those notes today that reaffirmed what I'm doing here in terms of how I see the game and how I provide notes on these practices. Somebody asked me, are you getting practice film? And I'm like, no, I would like that, but no, I don't watch the practice film. And he said, you're so thorough. I wasn't sure if you were watching practice film or just your recall was that good? And I was like, well, you know, McDaniel did one time compare my recall to Sean McVeigh. I say that in Jess, but he did one time. So I was kind of feeling myself after that one, especially after the McVeigh comment. But you know, I've got plenty of misses in these practices, no doubt about that. I think I've probably tweeted some things incorrectly here and there, but I do feel pretty good about these notes we're bringing you every single day, and today, especially when there is a lot to take in, and you would hope that that's where you shine that brightest. So I want to go down the positions here and mention my observations. I'll plug in audio where I find it appropriate. I've got two players today, Tyreek and Kalays Campbell. If that sounds good to y'all, we'll go ahead and kick it off, and we're going to do it anyway because it's my show and there's nobody here to tell me no. So the quarterbacks you surely seen by now, the long ball from Tua to Tyreek, play the hits. Let's go ahead and break down the biggest splash play of the day off the top. And the first thing I want to point out is something I don't think you'll get on any other podcast because Kyle's not here, So that was the only choice for a podcast it would possibly cover this. This is a fifty yard shot and it was caught right around the goal line in stride, just a picture perfect location from Tua to his star receiver, Tyreek runs right through it, touchdown, celebration in the crowd, the whole thing. It's what you expect now from this team that all of a sudden is fun and explosive and can do stuff like this after twenty years of not having that. But the thing that really stood out to me was the throw was to the field. And we know this by now right draft time listeners. The field is the wide side, the boundary is the short side. And if you go back over the course of Tua's career, and I don't harp on arm strength as much as I think other folks do, because I don't view it as more than like the sixth most important trait for a quarterback, but there are moments when you can see it show up right, and it's trying to throw vertical shots down the field to the field to your number one receiver. The receiver furthest out towards the perimeter, and that's not really where Tua threw his d balls. If you go back over all the home runs we've seen in the last couple of years to tyreegue to waddle or otherwise, there's usually a more condensed nature to the throw. What does that mean. It's typically the X receiver to the boundary, so the short side of the field without safety help or with safety help, but it is a shorter throw because of the receiver is closer to the line scrimmage or to the formation, I should say, and to the quarterback, or it is to the field the wide side, and it's the slot fade the number two or three receiver, which is closer again to the formation. It condenses the distance between the quarterback and the receiver. But this throw to the field, to the one vertical down the field for a fifty yard touchdown, I don't think I've seen that before. I don't think I've seen him make that throw successfully before, which to me showcases the improved arm strength that I just don't think his previous motion or mechanics or whatever you want to call it, I don't think it provided this result that we got on what day is it Tuesday? That setup or the setup for that play was really cool too, because you guys remember last year. I do definitively because it bothered me so much when Lamar Jackson had that long touchdown pass against US, and I saw all these Ravens fans and even at National reporters coming out and being like, look at that reverse pivot drop he did where he made the defense think he was going lefty, and then he flipped it back to his natural side, his right side and lets it fly for the deep ball.
Speaker 3: And I'm just mad online saying like Tuo has been doing that all year.
Speaker 4: He got that from Tua, and of course on this play that's or rather I should say, you know, earlier in the season, Tua did it multiple times. I forget which plays exactly, but that was a Tua drop back, a Mike McDaniel design dropped back for Tua, and we saw Tua do it again on this play. So let's go ahead and hear from Tyreek Hill, who gave us further analysis on that touchdown and Tua's growth as a deep ball thrower.
Speaker 1: That was beautiful. Man.
Speaker 6: We've been trying to hit that all camp against defense, and unfortunately our defense has been doing a great job of, you know, not giving us the correct look.
Speaker 1: We came out here today, we.
Speaker 6: Got the look that we wanted, and we obviously we executed the play and to it through.
Speaker 1: A that was a I don't know what y'all call that, man.
Speaker 6: People can't no longer say that he can't throw the ball deep, man, because that right there alone, man showed like his improvement from when I first got here to now, like's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: That's light years man. So that's dope.
Speaker 4: Man. I thought that part about the defense was really instructive because that was something I sort of speculated about from the previous practices in the corners and safeties and just the overall structure of the defense has really limited the Miami deep passing game from this offense, which again, for like the fifth time in this training camp, I said this on the podcast, was the deep the best deep passing team in the NFL in twenty twenty three, And we get some confirmation there from Tyreek Hill himself. But they hit it in this one beautiful throw, beautiful play, and gosh, that sure makes it fun. So Tua, you know, even outside of this throw was surgical, and I should say he was surgical outside of one throw he made. But I'm glad they got it on tape because it was actually really close to being kind of a sick throw to be honest with you guys. The Falcons dialed up this overload pressure on a third down, so we're in it's like in the middle of the field too, so there's not really you know, it's not Edi sack and punt the ball away. It's like, well, try to make a play because we're on the fringe of field goal range and like fourth down, go for a territory, but it's third long, so let this thing rip and the Falcons dial up this overload pressure and Tua saw it and he alerted the offense. He was he was prepared for before the snap with a quick check, and they had more rushers than we could block, which means you are hot. It means you do not have more than two seconds to let that thing go, because if they rush it accordingly, there's gonna be a guy that goes unblocked, and you have to account for him as the quarterback. And so sometimes quarterbacks to account for this will drift away from their throw. And it's not I guarantee. I haven't even read the comments, but I guarantee there's comments about throwing off the back foot, and you hear that and there's typically negative connotations that come with that.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's common practice for quarterbacks that do this when they know they're hot. It buys them an extra fraction of a second. And Tu in the past very successfully and he throws this ball to River Craycraft where it's an inbreaker, you know, a pretty common route on our offense, and I thought it was going to be a big play because it was open and there was a compromised defensive backfield that was short on bodies because of all the rushers they committed to the rush and River crak Craft crossed his face on a cornerback and it would have been one on one with the safety for a touchdown, which that's not really his game, but that's what it was. And the ball was on the outside shoulder and it went right to the cornerback who kind of seemed like he got flat footed and stuck in mud because of this look and this route against the pressure, but the ball found him. So it's almost like a you know, Merry Christmas to me, like when a third basement catches a hop where he closes his eyes and short hops, you know, the sharp ground ball, and it's like, oh, look what I found.
Speaker 3: That's kind of what this reminded me of.
Speaker 4: Here the same cornerback, Mike Hughes that got toasted on the deep ball from two of the Tyreek.
Speaker 3: So he gets some revenge there. Good for him.
Speaker 4: So that was the peak and the valley, but everything else in between was sharp, quick rhythm accurate finding his outlets and checkdowns, a couple of touchdowns, and red zone work like the way I've seen Tua get the ball to backs and tight ends has been in like an emphasis in camp, and I thought we saw more of that today. But his next best throw was a freaking laser to Kyrik McGowan, and it was between two Falcons defenders. And I'm going to try to describe this for you guys, but I didn't write it down very clearly.
Speaker 3: So let's see how this goes.
Speaker 4: But have you seen those quarterback drills where you know they'll in passing camps or high school whatever, they'll essentially get two large items what do you call them targets that block out the quarterback's vision beyond them, like it might as well be bed sheets strung up between like a massive square of PVC pipe, And you leave a small window in between these two squares, and the quarterback is supposed to throw the football to meet the receiver in that window between those two squares. That was the throw that Tua made to McGowan, where he splits these two defenders, he goes up and plucks it in traffic for about twenty yards. That was impressive. Similar footwork and drop back pattern with the reverse pivot step that I talked about on the deep shot. He also had a nice turkey hole shot to open up practice. Turkey hole. I know that sounds kind of strange, but it's a commonly used frame or commonly used phrase. I should say for the vacancy between cover two, it's the underneath curl flat corner and the half field safety. There's a room between that spot there on the sideline, and that's what Tua found to River cray Craft for about twenty yards. Also hit cray Craft for a crossing route for about twenty five yards.
Speaker 3: He also had an eight yard.
Speaker 4: Touchdown pass to River Craycraft, I mean go Koog's. He also threw a five yard touchdown pass to Raheem down on red zone work and his unit, you know, Dolphins or Falcons or either side of the field had by far the most red zone touchdowns. I think they had a couple more touchdowns than anybody else. Cousins, Pennix, Thompson, White, whoever it might have been.
Speaker 3: They had the one.
Speaker 4: Explosive or one of two explosives on the day. Penex also hit a deep ball and to me there was a clear line of who the best quarterback on the field was the entire practice today. And I say that after watching Kirk Cousins do what makes him the best in the game. But it was tough sledding for him and the Falcons early on. More on that in a moment. Tua also drove the first team offense and a field goal range during a two minute period at the end of practice and they made a fifty yard kick from Jason Sanders to quote unquote win the game. It was basically, we have to get into field goal range, have to get about forty yards to put ourselves in that spot down by two one time out. They succeeded in doing so, and on that drive to it made a nice little improv play where he found Raheem Moster on a third and long play and Raheem was able to kind of find some space in the defense because Tua shifted around the pocket, got off the spot and successfully evaded the pressure to throw the ball to Raheem Moster, who converts this third and ten, third and ten plus.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure how many yards it was, but it was more than ten yards. I thought.
Speaker 4: He moved off the spot and created like we've seen him do all camp long. I thought we saw the work he put in from a mechanic and you know, pop slash, easy gash, throwing on that deep shot down the field. I thought we saw a pretty good command because the run game was very effective too. And to kind of go into that a little bit on the offensive line, I heard this scuttle but about the offensive line and after practice, and I don't know, man, I just wish that we would learn from history a little bit, you know, the Royal Wi as it were. Because the Falcons had their entire team, I don't know if anybody was down for them. And forgive me if I am speaking out a class on that, but I didn't know anybody, you know, that would be on the marquee, so to speak, who wasn't practicing for the Falcons today. And we didn't have our entire left side of the offensive line right to Ron Armstead Isaiah when not practicing out there. We also didn't have Jalen Waddle, not to mention on defense, no Jordan Brooks, no Jaln Phillips, no Bradley Chubb, no Jordan Poyer. We're down like eight or nine, big time guys, and they weren't, and they still caught this work dog. But back to the original point, like the one whose name shall not be spoken, I'm just kidding, it's Omar, Like, I get it, I know the stick, I know what you're doing.
Speaker 3: It's you know, it's a stephen a stick.
Speaker 4: The Jalen Ramsey wearing a compression sleeve like selling panic Again, I get it, I understand what you're doing. But he says to me like this O line, ain't it? And I'm like, they'll be fine, man, just chill, they'll be fine. No game plan around it. And he looks at me like I'm speaking Mandarin, and I'm like, bro, have you not seen this before? Like what are we doing? Have you not seen it?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 4: For two years, we've heard the exact same complaints we saw. What did everybody say going into the Charger game last year when toront arms I was down for that game? They can't block Bosa and Khalil Mack. Those guys got shut out the entire game. We scored thirty six points. Like, I don't understand how we still have these viewpoints when they've been time and time again disproven. I don't get it. You see it every in San Francisco. I know that because I tracked every game we had their first round pick for a couple of years.
Speaker 3: When I'm like, offs have Lodge got some holes?
Speaker 4: Didn't frigging matter, dude, there was just that's part of the design of the offense. You see it every year in Green Bay with Matt Lafleur. In that offense, they get injured beyond belief and they still are productive. Like, it drives me nuts. So if the line was so bad, how come we had five explosive plays from the quarterback and a constant surge in the running game. It reminds me of the ESPN you know, GM whatever personnel department survey where it's like, well, the Dolphins have Tyreek Hill, but nobody else in their offense is top ten, And how the hell were I number one in the NFL? And everything doesn't math, dude, Like the sacks did pile up late and they.
Speaker 3: Kind of did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but my god, man, the way I'm seeing the discourse, you'd think this was a two thousand and nine offense. They won the day comfortably, and this is the top offense in the NFL. Like, I don't get what we're doing and why we concern ourselves with the panic. I get it from a, you know, selling papers perspective, but otherwise I do not. I thought this was one of Mike White's better practices of all training camp. He was ripping some of those intermediate shots that makes this offense go. But I thought Skylar Thompson really struggled in this practice, missed some layups, and I thought reverted back to a little bit of what we saw in the past of getting stuck and just not moving the offense. I'm really curious to see how tomorrow and the game both play out for Skyler and Mike. Today kind of told me battle back on after I thought Skyler had creism space between he.
Speaker 3: And Mike White.
Speaker 4: Let's go ahead and take a break right there and come back on the other side and get to the rest of the position groups on the entire roster. We'll do them all. That's next Draft Time podcast. Your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Auto Nation, mention the running game in the opening segment and the best running back duo in the NFL, that's what I'm calling them, had themselves a day. Raheem and eh Chan had explosives, they cut passes, they scored touchdowns. I mentioned the scorers through the air in the two a portion where he made some really nifty moves at the point of attack and had some big lanes to run through early in practice. Every rep the Dolphins ran offensively early was successful one like they have. Success rate was probably like ninety percent through the first couple of two periods that he was out there. Raheem was super shifty at the point of attack and just kept putting himself in position to find the gap, which again, we're there all day. I thought we saw a mid season heame today, especially on that catch to convert the third and long play I talked about in the two minute. He and Devon had some really impressive lanes to run through early in practice, and I gotta say, I get why, but the refs are very tight with the whistle on tagoffs, because there was a few of those where I'm like, I've seen this guy run in games, and that is not a tackle that will get him to the ground. And Hn also had some runs in the kickoff return game that might have gotten the distance. Malik Washington also looked pretty good back their returning kicks. I don't think I put in the notes, but Malik Washington had a crackback block on Arnold Ebiqite. That was me and John jenmm are like, oh shit, rook, that's a good block right there. So Malik is as tough as nails man. They both Chan and Raheem had runs around the corner where alec Ingold, let's just say he was excited.
Speaker 3: You might see a bowl in a rodeo or is that what it is? Rodeo's bullfighting.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but basically the red jersey was, you know, the bullfighter for alec Ingold. He was dishing out punishment, giving guys extra time in the ice baths tonight with the way he was popping pads. In fact, a few of our explosive plays off the edge were basically just Alec and Julian Hill. You know what, this is a good meme opportunity for you very talented photoshoppers out there. Basically Alec and Julian started their own moving company today, only instead of moving furniture, they're moving NFL.
Speaker 3: Defenders off the ball.
Speaker 4: Fun to watch those two guys dip into their contact and run through people. Julian also caught some balls on team. His strong camp continues. I also saw Alec during one on ones get a stop on a linebacker, a step on a linebacker, sorry, and stretch out his arms and pluck a full speed catch with his hands on an absolute fastball. He never ceases to amaze me because in fullbacks just did not do that, and they really don't still. It's pretty much just him and use check in Sam for Cisco. Let's go ahead and get some more audio here from Tyreek Hill, who touched on how he felt the offense took a step forward on Tuesday.
Speaker 6: Offensively, I feel like we took a step forward today. You know, whether it's catching the ball, whether it's throwing the ball, whether it's blocking. We all took a step forward today. And you know, we held our self accountable in moments when you know, whenever whenever we failed the offense like going dry.
Speaker 1: You know. So that's one thing like we really want to hone in on this year.
Speaker 6: Man, Like, even if we have stale moments, we got to find a way to you know, dig ourself out out of that.
Speaker 1: And today we've done a great zout of it.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it was tough to get a beat on the wide receivers today because no Waddle, no Obj, no Brax and Barrios, And that could be three of your five, three of your five or six guys you keep on the roster. But Tyreek and River did what they do. Could be the other two guys along with like Malik Washington. But Reek had a bunch of plays, including the one we covered. But damn it, River Craycraft just continues to make plays.
Speaker 3: Go so kooks.
Speaker 4: It's also gotten to the point that the crew I usually sit with can Jemmy, Goldie Cuno, those guys all look at me with the biggest grins when River Creaycraft makes a play, and I just have to give them.
Speaker 2: That's another Washington State cougars. First all, everyone uses everyone that has a cat, a big cat mascot uses that grow after first downs, and that happened a whole bunch today. I mentioned the chunk plays we heard two of the other day talk about adapting to new pass catchers and if he changes his location based upon the guy and what's best for him, and he said, like Na, Son, that's not what he said, but that's what I say. He's throwing it to where it needs to be and that includes timing and leverage the route. It's it's tenfold, right. But a guy that is going to earn his trust on those, a guy that has earned his trust on those. The first touchdown maker of twenty twenty two, twenty twenty three, rather River craycraft Man.
Speaker 3: He caught a ball in one on ones. And here's something else.
Speaker 4: I hope people were paying attention to the flags on the field because the refs let them things rain. On the Atlanta Falcons, they were grabbing and holding all throughout one on ones and in a team period, there was a rep where I think if you asked River, you know it wasn't his best release, but he kind of got pinned to the perimeter on a move that just didn't really get him separation. But he went up over the defensive back who just mugged him and made the catch. Now they ruled him down with a foot out of bounds, but I didn't care because I still learned what I needed to learn from the rep that if I put eighty five, if I put the football on eighty five vicinity, he gonna make the catch.
Speaker 3: He is so dependable.
Speaker 4: Willie Snead continues to get open. I saw there was a comment about some drops. But there were some bad throws to him too from Skyler. That's kind of where I put the blame on those. But he gets open to me, he's been about as good as he could be with the time he's been here, like a week and a half, whatever it's been. He did get a step, he did get a step in space on one play, but Skyler skipped it to him like he was skipping rocks across across Lake Okuchobee.
Speaker 3: That's a Florida lake.
Speaker 4: Right. Do people go in lakes in Florida or do you just avoid them because gators all over the place. Like, I haven't been to a lake in Florida ever. I've been to the ocean. Kicked him manatee once. That was terrifying. But he skips this thing across the water. And he was very frustrated with himself after the throw because it was a pretty big miss on what could have been a big play. You know who else is making some plays as Anthony Schwartz. I thought he was impressive once again today. All right, onto the offensive line here. My first note is on Patrick Paul, who continues to really catch my eye man like he had a rep the rep of the day where Lorenzo Carter, a very good player, tried to cross face on him and his first step was like a get width step out to the left, but then he threw the punch and it put Carter on the ground and he finishes the pancake on top of him with a punishing block that had me like ooh. I was cheering up in the stands, like you can't see that on a football field. Not get geeked if you're a football nut.
Speaker 3: He was a wall in the one.
Speaker 4: On one portions of practice. In fact, I thought the entire team did some work in those one on ones. Rob Jones, a stonewall, Kendall Lamb looked awesome. And here's a cool thing about Kendall Lamb. He was out on the kickoff team right in the middle of the field and he was talking about how when I came into the league, it was I was on the wedge and now here I am, at the end of my career doing it again in like full circle. And I was like, you know, I saw you do that and you basically were picking up stunts out there, and he was like, exactly, So he thinks that getting guys like him out there can spring some big plays, but also that it kind of helps him see the field from those stunt perspectives, which I think can help at the tackle position. But the Falcons did get their pressures. Let's not get that twisted. I'm not here to tell you a fib on the podcast. They got their pressures, and my notes tell me it was a lot of their best interior guys. It was Eddie Goldman, Grady Jarrett, Kntavia Street, David Anyamada condensed inside. I think that collectively that's kind of how you have to view it to get better. But the rough days to me were Leah Miikenberg I thought got the best of him a lot. I don't think Aaron Brewer had his best ding we've seen him have in the past. I'm really curious see how he bounces back tomorrow. I thought Rob Jones was up and down. I didn't like to work from Keyon Smith, Ryan Hayes, Jack Driscoll, who's I think had a pretty rough camp, and Chase and Hines pulled over a couple of times. So those are the guys that were really struggling. I thought Austin Jackson was really good especially in the running game and the tight ends. We're at the point of attack on some pretty good runs off that side. Durham as well, he deserves to shout off for his blocking and also had a few receptions. Let's go ahead and take our second break rate there and come back on the other side and do the defense. We'll kick it off with a SoundBite from Kalais Campbell. That's next Draft Time podcast, your host Travis Wingfield, brought to you by Autoation.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and kick off.
Speaker 4: Segment two with a SoundBite here from Kalais Campbell on did you think you guys won the practice or do you think you lost it? Would you be honest with that assessment? Here's Kalais Campbell.
Speaker 5: I think honesty is real. You know, if you want to get better, you gotta be honest with yourself, you know. I think there's always good plays and bad plays and plays you can learn from. Nobody just dominates completely all the way. It's a lot more good than bad. But yeah, I've always been honest, you know, and keeping the real like, hey, you know, fin that look good? You know, I'm gonna say it to the media, but definitely answer to my teammates, you know, but today I feel like we did a really good job.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: Of course they make some players because you know, they got playmakers on the squad, but overall, like you know, resons made hard on them. They made it really hard on them. Now we always say, like if they beat this more to them sitting. If they make players want they make plays doing at their best, you know, we can't just give them. They players, they gotta earn every yard they get. But of course the infilt they're gonna arre some yards.
Speaker 4: And just like the offense started off hot, it was a run stuff and incompletion party early on, in practice, playing inspired, playing chippy, Jalen Ramsey was at the focal point of all of that. Again, I saw him play press man, transition to a speed turn to get vertical, hit the brakes on a comeback, flip the hips and get back down the stem and break up a pass. I mean that is true to form of the old Dion Sanders poster that my Cowboys fan friends, you know, growing up in the nineties had a lot of Cowboys fan friends. They had this poster on their wall that said seventy five percent of the planet is covered by water at the other twenty five percent is covered by prime time and when you can play the deep ball without the safety help and you can get back to the curl flat, do you understand the numbers advantage that gives you elsewhere on the field. It's like when the wildcat was popping off the added hat in the run game equation that had defensive coordinators relearning how to drop their run fits. Ramsey gives you that and you can dictate terms of moving him around, which Anthony Weavers doing a post of last year when he was pigeonholed into one position. But he also gives you more flexibility than any other defensive back in the entire game. That's what's so crazy about him to me. Even if he loses a step in two or three years down the line, I don't I think that he would have a very smooth transition into flipping to like a Kyle Hamilton roll in Baltimore. But that's years away if that's what he wants to do later on, But for now, he's doing that stuff on top of freak of the nature stuff. I even saw him move into the box and rush inside and swat a pass down like a freaking edge rusher right in Kirk Cousins face. He's an unreal talent. He also tagged off on some plays in the running game and the short passing game. He was out there mixing it up. I think his presence alone, not just the talent, but the unmatched tenacity, I think will be big a big deal for us from week one on because we didn't have that early. I thought we really earlier in the season last year. My other standout was a rookie rusher. Let's go ahead and stay in order here. With the defensive backs, Kendall Fuller was outstanding. I saw him draw Kyle Pitts on a one on one deep shot and he out physicaled the big tight end. Pits couldn't open up down the stem because he just he didn't have the space to get his top end speed. He couldn't elevate because Kendall wasn't phase at the jumping or the point of attack I guess, and the ball was nowhere close. As a result, he did the exact same thing in one on ones. He even broke up a pass that should have been picked off by Jevon Holland down in red zone work where he again pins the receiver to the perimeter and gets his head back to the play to play the football and didn't see Javon angling over for the room service pick and he punched it away and costs Javon a pick. But good on, good there. Speaking of Javon, you know, he was an enforcer. He was a middle of the field presence. He gave some receivers like footsteps today where he forced some incompletions because of that presence. He also sparked that big brawl we saw in practice, so you know, take care of the other guys too out there. I thought Patrick mcmare rris was really good today. He was excellent in the one on ones and made a bunch of tackles coming downhill in the many chuckdowns we saw. And to that point, it was a slog for the Falcons early on in this practice.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: Then they started getting some footing mid practice and moved the ball well in one period, and then Cousins did a good job driving them in the two minute period at the end of the practice. But I thought the count went pretty heavily in the defense as favor man like Michael Penix got hot there for a minute and had some nice had a nice deep shot over saran Neil. I thought Isaiah Johnson and saran Neil had the toughest days outside. But if that's all from the cornerback spot, you can live with that any day of the week. We keep talking about Jason Matrie because he keeps making plays. He had more PBUs today and that indicates or that includes one on one and team. He's the like from nowhere guy right to the Julius Warmsley, if you guys remember that from twenty sixteen, I didn't know anything about him. He was signed later than all the other udfas, and he just keeps on making You put him in the notes because he keeps making plays. Cater Coo, who made employees today, had some good reps from what I saw, including a pass breakup.
Speaker 3: And Ethan bonner Man.
Speaker 4: You know what, if it hasn't been Tyreek or Waddle, he's pretty much won every rep outside of those two guys, and no one really stops those guys. And I think today we didn't see those two guys. He had his best day of camp. He's competitive man, he's he wants to mix it up. He doesn't really say a whole lot, just kind of keeps to himself. He's always involved in run plays to his side, and he's usually in phase in pretty good shape and coverage. We're a little bit thin at linebacker right now with Brooks and Walker not practicing, but love seeing the depth there because Duke Riley gets the orange jersey for his work on Monday's practice and I saw him make a couple of plays, including one big free run tackle for loss. Let's go ahead and hear from kalay As Campbell once again on how this linebacking corps helps this or check that rather, how this defense emphasizes the run defense that we saw really excel on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: Keep getting with data.
Speaker 5: Is you know it's built on stop on the run and then you know, you know, creating pressure through different blisters of different things. And then you know, I think, you know, we've been a D line, you know, hard playing D line from office square un Let's us rush for a little bit so we can get a a little more opportunity hit the quarterback. But you know, this defense is I think a special we got you know, Zach Zeller leading the way. You know up front, he just sets the toe and we all kind of follow.
Speaker 4: Suit and we go out there and we ball, but man off the edge, you know the rook had himself yet another day, Chop Robinson. I saw him win with speed around the edge, flatten and then get greeted by the running backs tipping up in passbro and when he converted his speed to power, he ran him over and pressured Cousins and forced a dead play. I mean, if he does that in a game when we have JP or Beach Hub or both of them out there, that means you're blocking one of those guys or both of those guys one on one and maybe pulling in eligibles to be part of your protection scheme. Because that's the definition of how you can impact a game.
Speaker 3: And Chop does it every damn day out here.
Speaker 4: And if you account for him off the edge, well, I saw him kick inside and just bowl over the center and then pop the back behind the lad scrimmage for a big loss.
Speaker 3: He looks really good.
Speaker 4: I'll say the Falcons offensive line, like ours, did show really good on one on ones, but Chop got the best of them. Man Quintin Bell was the best in those one on ones, but I thought the Falcons did a good job on him during team I did see Emmanuel Ogba get back there and make a couple of plays, including one would be sack, and then also up front, Tier Tart played with his hair on fire today. He was in the backfield all damn day and cost plenty of issues. His quickness next to the power of Sealer and Campbell, It's gonna be tough for teams to sort through that Sealer consistently reset the line of scrimmage. But you probably could have guessed that. I thought DeShawn Hand and Jonathan Harris had really impactful days. Both were able to make splash plays and impact the point of attack frequently. I think the biggest thing we saw today though, was the idea was this defense is sort of solidify coagulate. Is that a term we can use. Coagulate is when a liquid turns to solid. So that's not really it, because it would be foolish to say this is the finished product.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 4: But I really thought we rushed well as a team and just found ways to free up different guys in that mix with solid covers in the back end. Let's go back to Klay as Campbell one more time on what gives him confidence this defense can come together quickly in a new scheme.
Speaker 5: We got really good linebackers, you know, really good you know, and shutters, sided ogbable shoots, you know. He's just a force in a run game in past game, you know. And I think up front, you know, we got just a bunch of big, strong guys who who take pride to stop and run. I think we make a pledge all the time, like they will not run the ball. That is a pledge you have to make. And uh, but it's also a combination. I think the scheme the way we you know, I mean, you know, we put us olfs a position to do better gets the run, you know, early downs, and I think that that's a you know, combination of a little bit of everything. But I think we're building something here, you know. Obviously, you know, I think this defense has had a lot of really good success to stopping a run because of the way we play things and you know, make it hold on teams. But at the same time, it's players that you have to go out there and make the plays. I think we have a combination of both.
Speaker 3: All right, that's pretty much it. A couple more things.
Speaker 4: So let's let's go ahead and give out some jerseys and play some more audio from Tyreek, and I will also grade each position group. If I had to give out the orange jersey, I would say Tua earned it today, or maybe River creak Craft those are my top choices. Then I'll go Amz Chop and alec Ingold, And how about let's do this as well.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead and.
Speaker 4: Grade each unit because we're not gonna get an orange jersey. I don't think tomorrow. Quarterbacks, I gave him an A. I just thought Tool was really good. The one pick was the one mistake. I thought Mike White had a really good practice, but Skyler struggled.
Speaker 3: So maybe A A minus. Yeah, we'll go A. It was pretty good.
Speaker 4: Running backs B plus most An and h Chan hit explosives, didn't get much from the rest Ingold was awesome. That goes from A B to A B plus. Receivers C plus. There were down so many guys outside of Reek, River and Schwartz. There wasn't a whole lot there today. I gave the tight ends a B because Jeweling was great.
Speaker 3: Once again.
Speaker 4: I thought Durham was solid and didn't get much elsewhere across the offensive line C minus some really good, some really bad a little below the media in there. For me, the worst grade I gave out here. Interior defensive line got an A minus good healthy rotation, constant impact at the point of attack off the edge B plus. Chop kind of raised that grade himself, but there was minor contributions elsewhere. Mohammed Kamara was also down, so really deep into the depth Charte B minus. David Long and Duke were solid, but again they're thin there at cornerback A plus. Elite stuff from those top two guys Bonner maytre Co, who all made good plays as well against a good skill group no less, and a B plus for the safeties because a nice day from Javon Holland, Patrick mc morris and Marcus may have made some plays as well. If I were to score the battle, let's say there's ten points available, I would say the offense won six and a half to four and a half and the defense won seven and a half to two and a half. Let's go ahead and play two audio soundbites here to close the podcast from Tyreek Hill. He first talks about the locker room and accountability, and then he talks about what he wants to accomplish here. This year with Miami Dolphins back to back. Here's Tyreek Hill, Like, we got.
Speaker 6: Two competitive of a team and two you know, great of guys on this team to not win games. And we all know that, man, because at the end of the day, we all know the money gonna come, the money gonna come whenever. Like what we focused on right now is winning games because we got a great group of guys, tremendous leaders on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: And you see it each and every day, man like, and it's fun to be a part of.
Speaker 6: Like the energy out at practice is great, man, Like you hear guys chirping back and forth.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 6: That what makes football fun, Like when like brothers are able to like chirp in between the lines and then go into the locker room and then have a genuine conversation like me and so I love it, man, I'm absolutely loving it. But as a team go and what I want, like for this whole team, man, is just the winner. It just win a playoff game. That's step one for all of us.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 6: I think that's something that you know, we all can build on, you know, moving forward, you know, going deeper into the playoffs and that's something that we can live with forever because it hasn't been done in what twenty three, twenty four years, and for us to be able to, you know, do something special like that with this team, we can look back on it fifty years from now when we all come back and say, Man, we had a great team. Man back in twenty twenty four. Man, I remember those practice. So that's what I want for this team. Like, that's what I want for myself, man, to have moments like that with with my brothers. Man, because a lot of these guys I came in the league with, you know what I'm saying. So we got a lot of veterans on this team. The years, the prior years I've been here is a real young team. But the years now, we got guys that I came into the league with, Guys that I played with, you know, played with or against.
Speaker 1: And it's a beautiful thing.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: So I got a real good relationship with a lot of guys.
Speaker 3: So I would want that, and that will do it for us.
Speaker 4: Kind of come back tomorrow and do the exact same thing. We will have coach McDaniel in the morning, so we'll go ahead and provide some soundbites from coach at the end of practice on the podcast. In the meantime, you all please be sure to subscribe to the podcast on Apple Spotify, where you get your podcasts from. Go ahead and leave us a rating, leave us a review. You can follow me on social at blinkfoeld NFL and the team at Miami Dolphins. Check out the fish Tank podcast. The episode with Jason.
Speaker 3: Garret is up. It is great. You'll learn a lot of football.
Speaker 4: Check them out and the YouTube channel for media availabilities, Dolphins Today, Drivetime content and so much more, and last but not least, Miami Dolphins dot Com. Until next time, Fins Up, Colina, Cameron, Daddy, He's coming home.