Speaker 1: He is Drake CHANMS motherfucking Podcast Make Time. He's a legendary Queens rapper. He's agreed as your boy in.
Speaker 2: O R E.
Speaker 1: He's a Miami hip hop pioneer. Put up his DJ E f N. Together they drink it up with some of the biggest players, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And the most professional, unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk fast chans.
Speaker 1: Mother. Every day is New Year c that's it's time for drink champions. Drink up, motherfuck mother. Would it good? Be rolling?
Speaker 3: Hopefully he's strolling. This is your homie and O R E put up his DJ E f N.
Speaker 1: And this is.
Speaker 3: Militama Crazy World Radio, Make Something. And when I tell you, when I tell you, we started this show because we always wanted to give our legends they flowers. We don't want something to happen, something to pass away. And you say how great these people are. Both of these brothers are legends, icons, tycoons, uh, super history with them, but on their own super legends. I can't believe they got together and did a whole, full fledged album together. I got the link. I might bootlegg because I'm off for this New York Knicks energy.
Speaker 1: In case you don't know who the we talking about. We talking about the one and only comment. I know you're a big New York I see you on the ground. I'm gonna be honest me and you were there last night.
Speaker 3: It was so funny because Joe Joe, Joe's sitting next to me. He goes, Yo, you never had comment on the show. And I goes no, he goes, you know, he's right there. You know I literally got him tomorrow. He's trying to hook it up. But when I tell you, I, as a kid, my dreams were crushed every year as a Knicks fan, Yes, tell me about it. I hated Reggie Miller, never met him. I hated Michael Jordan, never met him.
Speaker 1: I hated certain things.
Speaker 3: But yesterday people was telling me, all right, a friend of mine is his name is dukeepay It and he's a scoreboard keeper for the NBA. He works for the whole NBA, so he's neutral. He can't be on this team. He can't be on this team. He doesn't have favorites because he's neutral. He's a scorekeeper. So I called him and I was like, yo, I want to I want to go to Philadelphia to watch the game, and he never stood this quiet and this in my life.
Speaker 1: And he was like no, like he literally told me. Know, he said, you gotta go to the garden and you gotta feel that energy.
Speaker 3: So let me just tell y'all how how ill it was I Land, I get it. Alventito. They go to our brother, Dominican brother, Alventitao, who threatened me, told me if I ever go to Dominican Repolo got him again, gonna stab me. So we pull We got on the side of the highway. We're coming from, uh the airport, and his fucking battery gives out. Do you know this is how much the city is lit. People pulled over and was like, we got to hurry up because the next game, man, we gotta get you up.
Speaker 1: The funk about it? Yoo, I've never know you got to doing this that that was the reason.
Speaker 4: That was the reason. You know, I'm from its shout shout New York. Yes, but the way to see the Knicks fan the way y'all when I see Pete Joe, I just see people, I'll be like, yo, I can't help with me like yo and jay Le Brushton from Chicago, So yo, yo, so I kind of I got a little because Spike said to me yesterday, what you're doing here?
Speaker 1: Brother? I love basketball? You try to ga I love basketball.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I'm like Spike. First of all, I love the NIXT. I'm excited that y'all doing good. I don't see the energy. Then I'm like, yo, we got a Chicago boy on y'all team.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be honest, I've never been to a playoff game in my life. I mean, he wasn't doing was making a playoffs crazy.
Speaker 1: But this is twenty twelve was our last and I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't. I don't know, I don't know, but yesterday it was a it was a youth.
Speaker 1: I know I'm off subject, but just let me just tell you something.
Speaker 3: I used to watch people who jogged right, and these people that jog all together. I used to laugh at these people. These motherfuckers are.
Speaker 1: Idiots, Like why is everyone jogging together like idiots?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: And then I did it one day with a whole bunch of other people when we jogged, and then you realize y'all all on the same high. So I was so basically the same thing with with with the with the garden I'm watching it on TV, and I'm like, damn, we all kind of like got the same high. But when I got there, Okay, now let me let me give you another story. After they gave us a boost, you know, you know West Wolf. Yeah, we go through the Holland Tunnel pulled by West west Ward.
Speaker 1: I rolled down my window for one second, the whole West Forest. She was like, yeah, there, don't realize.
Speaker 3: I'm like They're like, I'm like, yo, now I gotta go. I gotta go to the next game. They stopped the whole ship. Look, let's get to the next game. Like everyone's this is the first time I seen my city have unity.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 4: I feel you can feel the unity, bro, and it's amazing. It's amazing, like you hangle front like when we you know, that was the one thing that happened when the bulls let me mention to a lot of the old Knicks when they saw me looking looking at me like I'm.
Speaker 1: The n M.
Speaker 5: Stocks, Like yo, they think about They're like what you're doing, I'm like, yo, stock something.
Speaker 4: But but you know one thing that happened for us too, and I see it happening in New York. The unity man one thing that when the Bulls was winning, Man, it wasn't no crime with down people. It was a joy around the thing. And that's something that the basketball dude, music dude, you know, supports to bring.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I used to love like man, you see, it wasn't no game, it wasn't no Cats one game bringing up they be at home watching it. It didn't matter what where you was from. You watching the Bulls and we always celebrating, and people was making money whether you worked at the park and you know, the parking garages or the bars. It was just like it just leaked the city up. And I see New York doing that. So I can't help but in joy seeing y'all, y'all foods, y'all.
Speaker 1: Let me just say you something.
Speaker 3: Me and fact Joe's on one place, Muster Rihbins at the other place, and we're doing the same exact thing. We can't help it and this comes out. So let's get to this. Let's get to this.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: Everyone knows Pee Rock super phenomenal producer. You all the accolades in the world, Like, why did y'all come together at this point to make this album stuff?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Pete Rock was one of the greatest musicians producers of rangers, like not just in hip hop, man, Like when you create a sound like that last forever, yep, that's like people respect like Miles Davis and Charlie Parker, you know, Earth Wind and Fire, what they produced music that lasted forever.
Speaker 6: Pete Rock has done that, yep.
Speaker 4: And it's like, what what I noticed about because doing during the pandemic, I just started like listening just to nineties hip hop.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: I was just and on my on my workout list and all that was a lot of people rock joints, and I was like, man, this is this dude is one of our greatest and all this stuff going on around the cellar.
Speaker 6: We had talked about.
Speaker 4: Connecting before even the Fiftiest celebration, but during the fiftiest celebrations, like I was just coming back from filming this Silo TV show on Apple, you know anyway.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 4: So then but I was like Pete yo, he had been sending me some beats. But once I got back, I was like, man, let's do this for real, Like let's do a project and for me like being around hip hop, like I sat in in Yankee Stadium and the show that they had and it was like I performed on it, but I watched it hip ho yo, I watched. I sat in the audience for five and a half hours. I ain't never did that no show. I'm seeing Fat Joe, I'm seeing Mob Deep, seeing a little Nah, everybody.
Speaker 6: Lauryn hill Snoop ice Cube.
Speaker 4: It was incredible and I was like, man, this off form is still a I love it. The joy that that we felt at that at that concert, I was like, people still thirst for this feeling.
Speaker 1: So that's what you got. The idea of y'all getting together.
Speaker 4: We had already started cooking, but it just inspired it more. The idea was just like, man, I want to make some music that I really love and it's just speaking to me because after listening to so much of what I was listening to, like, I was like, man, this this music is still existing in us. It's not gone, and we could do something new. Like when you hit the music, it's like we ain't do nothing. It's like throw back. It's just it's just got the spirit of what with that.
Speaker 1: Music collaboration, and I could tell most of it, most of it y'all was together, like I could tell, like it doesn't it doesn't feel like I was emailing it.
Speaker 6: I wanted, we wanted the the aura of the nineties.
Speaker 7: That's it, right, And I'm I'm I'm a new peak rock, so I'm doing stuff.
Speaker 6: But you hear some stuff that's.
Speaker 7: That you'd be like, oh, okay, I remember, you know, it'll give you some memories of what I used to do.
Speaker 6: But you know it's new. You know what I'm saying, it's new music.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you.
Speaker 3: Because recently I've seen naves post on the on the ground and he posted a picture of.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: I guess he was trying to say illmatic and the only person that was missing from the picture was notably.
Speaker 1: I was late.
Speaker 3: Oh I and you know, you know, in this business, you know what I'm saying, things like that happened because I'm I'll be making beats at home and sometimes don't realize the time, right, And I'm like that that.
Speaker 7: Was the issue. I was making beats and I looked at my watch and I was like, oh damn, I just got my card.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow. In communication, because you know, we heard.
Speaker 3: The rumors that you suing him, yea, and yeah, that wasn't never happening. You know how it is in the business when it's like, you know, like, hey, you know my people, my management noticed this, uh, and I just said, hey, help me get it.
Speaker 1: That's that's all it was. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: That's beautiful, but the media makes it something else.
Speaker 6: That's some of the most beautiful music.
Speaker 1: Let me just say that I was.
Speaker 3: I was hurt when I heard it, because let me just think you something, when I heard ill mad, I was. I was in jail. I was a child in jail. But that was like reading the Donald's Goings Book. To me, it was almost better than reading the DOMD because I knew what he was talking about, and I could smell the alleys. I could smell. I could smell the world is yours like I can smell how you made it. I could smell like so I never want and and.
Speaker 1: But you didn't know, not as yet. I didn't know. That's crazy. I saw him, but he wasn't not actually ally was was that the bigger figure at this time?
Speaker 3: So it was and I was running together and something called the Last we said, something called Brooklyn Queen's Day. And I remember I only bought him out. Then I got locked up and then I heard this album called Illmatic, which I couldn't visually see, but I visually saw it because it was the first time.
Speaker 1: I was like, whoa, this is what I want to do. Familiarity like that album.
Speaker 4: Man, I think for any MC and really any artist is definitely like one of the greatest pieces of art that the world has seen.
Speaker 6: You're like, yes, you got you.
Speaker 4: And man as a writer, I was like, man, I hadn't heard anybody describing things.
Speaker 1: Hope we need to like like that.
Speaker 4: And you and you being from the Bridge, being from Queens pull your left right, Queen from Queen Block the block. But but y'all knew what Queens was like about. But that was one of the things I loved about that album, and I loved about just hip hop is like people could describe where they was from.
Speaker 1: You, you could put put you, it comes in exactly.
Speaker 4: They took you to come and then eventually Outcast took you to Atlanta.
Speaker 6: You know now took us.
Speaker 1: He took us. It took us.
Speaker 7: It's like watching a movie, bro, It's like watching a really good movie. Listening Elmatic, Yeah it is.
Speaker 3: Now I want to I'll change the subject a little bit because this is the hottest topic in hip Hop's Drake and but you traded bars with Drake and point. I remember you called him Canada Drive.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't even know. I didn't know you can use the soda and this. I was like, he's like, you just Canada drives a minute like Canada Drive? How is it?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 3: You've been one of the most classic battles ever too. But let's let's let's stick let's stick to nowadays. I didn't see this coming at all. Pause right, either, we see j Cole releases, then we see Kendrick, and then Kendrick just kept going Gemini.
Speaker 1: I'm blaming the gym. I'm fared to a Gemini.
Speaker 3: Literally because you know I'm gonna be honest and I know I'm gonna being a little long gated.
Speaker 1: I remember.
Speaker 3: Us happened to like almost I don't want to say convinced nas, but we was like, got a lot of cars, little.
Speaker 1: Jewelry, but none of that things came fool with me. We was like, ain't talking about you.
Speaker 3: And it took nags a while right to like actually, in my humble opinion, but with Kendrick and and Drake, it was almost like the game put them together right, Like I don't want to say brownskin and light skin because that's like so cliche. Well so it's so simplastic. But these are the two top everyweight of the new generation.
Speaker 8: It started before they were the top, because it started like ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Did you enjoy this both, y'all?
Speaker 7: I mean, I'm team Kendrick all day. Okay, nothing against Drake, Okay, I just felt I just feel his energy that Gemini ship.
Speaker 3: Liked listens Gemini game.
Speaker 1: I love It's some.
Speaker 6: It's some called Geminis in music.
Speaker 3: Lawren hell Andre three thousands se loan.
Speaker 1: People like man.
Speaker 4: But I gotta say this though, for me, I always thought Kendrick was just like any generation, one of the top these like like because it's albums, man, his album, like he really be doing different styles. He don't do the same thing with his album. So I always have you know, just man, this dude is one of the dopest to me. And then for me, Drake was like, it's super talented and know how to make his songs. And I give honor that when he won a rhyme, he can rhyme.
Speaker 1: He rhyme.
Speaker 4: So when they started the battle, it was like to me, it was a heavyweight fight. I was like, I was like yo, and I was like yo, okay, well what.
Speaker 1: Can you go to say?
Speaker 4: You know, like the nick Kenher came back boom boom. It was just to me it was like one of the you know, so many battles because we grew up in it. Some some ideara to me, one of the best battles hipopp has ever said, and we all can make a hit record the disk track got Yo.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you something you just you just literally said, want to say, let me just tell you it's something about listening to Hot ninety seven. In Hot ninety seven, excuse me, I know for your motherfuckers, they don't know that. It's something about listening to your home radio station when your home.
Speaker 1: Yes, So I landed, me and my wife and.
Speaker 3: I just say to the to the to the car service guy put on put on Hot ninety I literally said ninety seven.
Speaker 1: Point one, ninety seven point one, and he puts the ship on. And that's all I hear, is the Diss records.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that's good for hip hop.
Speaker 1: Is it's very good. Realize it. So I actually heard it, like I was like hold off, Drake, shit is in rotation, Kendrick rollout.
Speaker 8: Today's different from before where maybe you needed the radio station to hit, but now they would drop it on YouTube, they would dropping on the DSPs that whatever they.
Speaker 3: Actually actually really because you know, like I said, I had to. I love taking myself out of hip hop and watching hip hop as a fan, and I got to like to see I got to hear our Asap Rocky record, I got to hear a Future record, I got to hear a Drake record, I got to hear Kendrick record, and I got to hear it in rotation, and that was just like, holy shit. I would have been this niggas a long time, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm doing to me like I have.
Speaker 4: My homies would send me every song that was coming out, and it'd be niggas from whatever a generation to send me, and it was like, damn, this is hip hop. We all like paying attention and like we were listening. We listening to the lyrics.
Speaker 1: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: That's the song about these lyrics, man, And for both of them to be honest to come with a concept this song, like like like when Drake did the pop thing, I'm not, you know, like I'm not wanting to feel like, yo, if somebody is passed, I don't know if I would want to hear. But I still thought conceptually it was creative that ship is hell. And then when when Kendrick came with to Meet the Grounds, I was like, damn, do.
Speaker 3: A disc shout out to the Alchemists family.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 6: I was like, it's crazy when people like did they go too far?
Speaker 4: I'm like, bro, and this, I don't feel like the only thing that is off for me family only is not that family. Because Meet the Grounds was amazing. That's one of the family ain't off of me. But if somebody has passed, okay, you know, like some I ain't gonna play with the like I gotta honor that because that's somebody's life.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 4: You know. But but if I'm talking about your family this part, you know the war water.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, Pete, Yeah, have you ever produced a dis record? And then the artists that they just get mad at you when you really don't got nothing to do with it.
Speaker 6: Whose ice cube was a little upset with me?
Speaker 1: Okay described this he took a shot of red wine.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 6: You Yeah, I didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: You didn't I don't know that. I did not know that didn't know. I didn't know this man. This man had me feeling bad. Okay, yo, he first was upset. He's like basket hold on, okay, let's go back to you, but hold on them. Because Common, this man made no Vas one of the best, one of the records of all time. So how how did how the funk is Common and ice Cube catch beef? How does I don't remember? Don't remember that it was? What's connection? Okay? No, So what happened?
Speaker 4: First of all, like I grew up listening to k k Rests, Big Daddy came rock him, ice Cube too short, Like it wasn't like being in Chicago. We were listening to all I gravitated to who I gravitated to it? But so I wrote, I used to love her, and I used to love about the evolution of hip hop, and I used a woman to describe, you know, hip hop.
Speaker 1: One of the most creative records of all time, one of my favorite. I never told you this. That's one of the records I got on love with hip hop. That was the joint. Because I don't know the story, So please don't so listen.
Speaker 4: Q was at some point it's crazy case. I remember when I first even like I realized he did me. I was at a show in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Because you said when you used to love her, when you said the West Coast part, he did, Yeah, he was. It was it was crazy. Said she broke to the West Coast.
Speaker 4: I said, she broke to the West Coast and that was cool around the same time I went away to school. I'm a man of expanded who am out of stand in a way. She probably get her money in l a and she did. She got big public. He said that the pro black was going out of style. I was just talking about how we was losing the pro blackness and it wasn't all because of the West Coast.
Speaker 6: I was talking about to.
Speaker 4: Be if you really want to know, when one of the things that really made me right I used to love her. I honestly was watching some East Coast artists imitating the West Coast and it made me be like.
Speaker 1: This, this ship is this this, it ain't right.
Speaker 6: This we the tribes.
Speaker 4: I know what New York is like because New York is representing that tribe. We know what the West Coast is like. So I was like, So I was like, man, I definitely didn't want want to just in fact, I had cubes the record in the video, like, I was honering a lot of the hip hop. So one day I'm sitting about to do a show. I'm in the car with my homie, my homie ros Son and it's in King T King T from the West and somebody said, Yo, cute this you on this song. So we playing the song and I'm listening. I'm like, damn this nigga, this is me. He was like, no, he ain't this. Ain't this your like this nigga, this is me? Its connection. It was on the West Side connection record Q was like First of all, I was like, I can't see how you go and not say this is this? He said, all you niggas wanted this the specific, but you nigga, your niggas never get specific. I used to love her mad becusin we fucked up pussy with bitch with no common sense. That was the record.
Speaker 6: So, I mean my first reaction was like, damn Ice Cuban know who I am. I was mad.
Speaker 1: I was mad, I got mad.
Speaker 4: I was mad for for sure, and I was like, man, And then I saw them popping off at on like Rap City one time with Big.
Speaker 6: Glass, and then I saw them in Atlanta.
Speaker 4: I saw West West Side Connection with Macataine, and I was with my homies, and I think they just was like thinking, I'm just a backpack nigga. But I'm with my guys and they had our something, we had out something. We're like, what's up, we're here. I think they knew, like, Okay, this stude the real dude. But then I was like, I remember spitting the ride. I wrote the bitch in You. I wrote it, wrote the first verse to the to these ch arrests instrumentals, and I had the first verse, and I was going out rapping when I was out with Daylight did it on the West Coast and everything, and a lot of people was cats.
Speaker 6: Didn't want to mess with the beat.
Speaker 1: But I was scared, scared after I heard him.
Speaker 4: But listen, I hope that would tell him like that you said, I was.
Speaker 1: I was mad. I didn't even make the beat at my house. I didn't even make the bet. He comes to see you in the studio is this Green Street studio?
Speaker 7: He came to the hood, and first I had to calm him down and drive him around the hood, like, Yo, let's go get somebody, Let's go see some women.
Speaker 1: Let's go introduce you to some people.
Speaker 7: Right, and then he and then we went to my man's house where he had a stack of records. You know, I'm going through the records and I'm like, I see this record, start playing it and I heard this loop and I was like, m and he heard it.
Speaker 6: Then he was like, yo, Pete, do something with that. And but you knew that he was going to make this record. You knew that.
Speaker 1: You knew that, Okay. At this point he drove him around and.
Speaker 3: You know, I was like you.
Speaker 6: So, you know, and then we just you know, he heard the loop. Then I got these drums.
Speaker 7: I made it at my man rob O's house, who was a member of this group called iron Ie. The record I made called Fick and Jack's right at his house and he had records and equipment, and I just came up with the beat and come and stop bothering his head, like, Yo, this one right here. Maybe this is the first beat I made, because I was gonna make beats. But the first one I made, he picked it and said, I'm gonna run with this one.
Speaker 1: Let me ask.
Speaker 6: And that's why I wrote the second verse to it after he made that beat.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you, because ice Cube was like a hard opponent to GoGet, like how do you gash yourself up? Or how do you like come up with that?
Speaker 3: Because I ain't gonna lie And this is me being one. If ice Q might have dis me, I might have let him ride, like, Man, I don't mind.
Speaker 1: I don't want to ice that. He's one of those mcs, Like, but.
Speaker 3: So what's going to your mom? You're sitting there, you like you about to go get one of the greatest.
Speaker 4: Time and like you said, no vacaine is that's the coldest specificate, the greatest sim seeds all the time. But I was just like, man, I'm gonna have to light I'm gonna have to light him up, man. And I believed in myself. Man sat down, Yo Yo, I was like yo, and the vincuit you. And then I was like, man, I just knew I had I could do what I needed to do on the back and I wouldn't gonna go around. I'm going directract like this this how this is how we battle this how like you know who is coming to and and and I just felt to be honest that I had enough because because I was a fan of his, I had enough things I could even I was using a lot of things that he had done. But let me be clear now, Cubans, my guy been in in this movie, one of the barbershop movies, got Ultimate Water Orange, and we were grateful to Minister fair Con at the time brought us all together together.
Speaker 8: How serious it was getting that. I feel like he doesn't get involved unless something.
Speaker 6: He brought us together.
Speaker 4: Literally, like a week after Biggie got killed, he was like, yo, this this pocket already died.
Speaker 6: I could got killed, Biggie died.
Speaker 4: He brought it. He brought us together. And and and casts like, you know, we're just like, man, we ain't trying to die. We want to live like this this something for us to live. You know, I'm a battery, you know, but you young at the time, You're like, you don't know what's gonna happen you and and it's for real, but you know, I like when it's when it's just on wax man, you know.
Speaker 1: Is it true?
Speaker 8: You the first time you performed it or you performed it in l A was one of the first times.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one of the times I performed in l A.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: But he was there at the Gavin. You remember, y'all remember the gap that Tendon was at the Gavin. You know it's all love with maxindam No, but but that saying I was on the West Coast. I was like, whatever's gonna happen?
Speaker 1: Happen?
Speaker 4: You know, I was in that that type of mentality, and then it's crazy. I was on the show and it was West Coast, was at the House of Blues, and man, I just was like, man, what's gonna happen? Is gonna happen? My father was even there. You know, it's gonna be the only this record I've ever produced ever.
Speaker 1: Like you, I said that was poland that's good for me. It's a classic. Yeah, but god damn, Bed, that was crazy. At that time.
Speaker 3: I'm like, like you said, you were looked at like a backpack round. I didn't thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for lack of a better term, come this hard, Yeah, hard, yeah, hard man. I don't think none of us saw that.
Speaker 4: No, I ain't gonna front. That was a lot of niggas. It wasn't like fucking with me or just like he wanted them a backpack.
Speaker 1: Dudes.
Speaker 4: I had dudes come up to me and be like, man, when I heard the bitch of you, I was like, okay, like respected me at that point. But you know, sometimes it does that the battles. The battles can get that get that out of you. It's like in sports and in a lot of things, you know. But yeah, even we saw that with the battle with it just happened like because I mean to me, when you delivering a battle to it just kind of raises the like your your artistry up in a way because it's like, Okay, I can make these records. I can make a record about a woman, I can make a record about what life is to me. I can make rem in this So I can. But but I can also get into this and into this, to this battle, to this war and do.
Speaker 1: What I need to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Now, your name been brought on so many times on this show, right especially, I want to get back into the Drake things, just likely a little bit because.
Speaker 1: What was what was the Drake thing over so the Drake thing?
Speaker 4: The Drake thing was more like I ain't into like what you said, like when you when y'all was telling knives man, I think he dissing you.
Speaker 6: But I felt like Drake was sending me a couple of shots.
Speaker 1: At the light skin karate class. It really I think it started.
Speaker 4: I don't know what motivated him to send me some shots, but I think what for sure had me.
Speaker 6: If I'm just being real, like.
Speaker 4: You know, we mess with one of the same girls, blah blah blah, the same story. Yeah, the same story that you hear a block about it. You know, war's happened over women, Wars happened over women.
Speaker 1: That's just what it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, but I wouldn't. I ain't the type this gone. I ain't gonna get at you if you know, if you with somebody else with I don't know that's the dude.
Speaker 1: But you start throwing me a.
Speaker 5: Couple of littles, you know, you're trying to throw some jass.
Speaker 6: You know yo, And I'm like, man, okay.
Speaker 4: And then once I found you know, once I felt like they really remember they dropped the state scheming and my homie called me black Calls. He was like and he was like, man, he talking talking to you or that, And at that point I was like, man, I just I can't even I just gotta over the I just got to it wasn't even a sche we couldn't tell, like because that's that's what That's why I was like, we couldn't tell. So that's why I was like, Hey, I'm gonna let you know, like right now, this is what So if you're coming at me, you don't know who it is coming at you coming.
Speaker 1: And it was great.
Speaker 4: It was great that wrap and it was crazy, is no idea at that point shout out to know I want to know?
Speaker 1: Yeah, shout he he.
Speaker 4: He was like, because I had all these bars and he was like, bro, you can't go to hog, just wait because it might be another round.
Speaker 6: And he was like the youngest generation, don't.
Speaker 4: Go that hard. And I was like, I was like what and man, because all I know is to go all out and we're I'm talking about I would pick up what I got to pick up. When he told me that, I was like, okay, So I took out a few lines blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: But and then you know, we had it.
Speaker 4: And I eventually saw Drake face to face and I was at a point where you know, I was like, what's up? And we just we had little little little words and then over and then his father, his father was there and it was like, y'all need to squash this. And I was like, man, this is an elder talking to me. This is man father.
Speaker 1: Let me.
Speaker 6: Let me chill out.
Speaker 4: And then Drake just was like we talked and he was like, man, I ain't on this, blah blah blah. So we just squashed. I was like, listen, if we face the face in it, and then I'm even if it was some subliminal distance. I said what I had to say. Right now we're saying we're squashing it is We're good.
Speaker 1: So I've been good. Listen.
Speaker 3: Do you know what I think is trash is when people see each other face the face and didn't do it after.
Speaker 7: Don't over battle, That's what I say, the honest don't over battle. Do it for the fun, you know, try to stay in respectable you know.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: I mean that's the only thing that I'm seeing that right now. And I don't want to say the people name certain people. Sometimes you go too far, Like I always if I have a battle with you, if we were battling and we don't hate each other, uh, there's always room to fix it. But when you start saying certain things about certain ship when you can't you can't.
Speaker 1: You can't fix that, you can't fix it, so say something personal. I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't like that part, but I do love battling. I love like like like you know, uh, face to face you know, yeah, I mean like, yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: I can't. Yeah, right, all right, I love that. But this new generation that's bad and social media change every day.
Speaker 4: That's what it was, like media change it or I'm glad my battles in it like happened a lot during the social media age because you gotta like you gotta add that element to it, in which I think they did a kid and this like they was like had strategy.
Speaker 1: Use going on.
Speaker 3: Everybody's a private investigator. You got private investigators. Are they private investigators or they have private investigators. I don't know, like like yeah, they bring it up red files and ship they took it up.
Speaker 1: But not okay, let's let's let's let's I'm gonna switch it. Get your piece.
Speaker 3: We get the piece because you know what need I needed you to talk about this. I needed and especially you pee because you're you're very non confrontational, very like you're not about that and you not about that. But the fact is that you both and I did not remember. I knew that you did reduce that, but I didn't remember.
Speaker 1: It. I okay, I forgot. And when space turned red is it? I didn't know this man? Okay. But before we change the subject, when did you see ice Cube? What did he say to you? He said, he come, he's good. Bro. You had to respect over with. It's all good.
Speaker 4: It's crazy when we were doing when we was doing the barbershop movie in the Shottown, we actually were we filmed it in Atlanta, but it's you know, it's basically yeah, yeah, yeah, of course, so Cuban. At one point we was about to it was crazy because it's like a movie. At one point were just about to have him talk or hide it all. Like as soon as we started talking, he got a phone call and it was like we never we never discussed that was Jesus positive positive Now we didn't when we were talking about it wasn't like it was just like it was almost like one of the moments like you know, you got into it.
Speaker 6: Somebody like look, man, this is why I even came into like this blah blah.
Speaker 4: But we didn't even get to that bark at that point that he ain't want to talk about that's what you know what under the bridge.
Speaker 1: His whole attitude about.
Speaker 6: It was like, yeah, yeah it was, Yes, it was twenty years later, but I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's good history of hip hop history that let's be clear. I still I feel still for like Ce got a little bit of pettiness in him. Yeah, I would never ba.
Speaker 3: One of our biggest arguments on Drink Champs is which I love. I'm just biting Tony Yayo back just for him and e FN argument like.
Speaker 1: This ship my favorite because he been a lot of people don't know he's actually from l A. But that doesn't l A. But that doesn't, you know, make his decisions because of that. He's really an ice Cube fan and Yo was really it's really a Biggie fan. And when YAlO was.
Speaker 3: Saying, he was like, you you've never seen you never felt when Biggie dropped, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, yes, Yo agreed, he's tough.
Speaker 3: That was the most quietness I've ever been on I agree with both sides, and I said, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't want Biggie lived long enough to have the discography that it just didn't happen.
Speaker 7: Biggy, I got to see America's most want to go down in Green Street because that's what Ice you produced, That's what he did that album in New York.
Speaker 3: Out of here by the way to speak up the Pete rock you brother the Green Street. Let me let me tell you. Another thing that you probably don't know is me and pun and you were on that record Records. Fun has made a vow that we was going to start doing people's records, and it's doing these features.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know. I requested you though I got you.
Speaker 3: So that was the first time me and me and one had been but we had never been in the studio together.
Speaker 1: And I remember this Green Street studio that it's a famous picture of me and you. I was skinny.
Speaker 3: I got to get back to my life. I was skinny with the cardiac glasses. And I remember and I never told you this neither. I remember just me. That was also the quietest I've ever been. I just looked at you and said what do I need to do? And you said this, this and that, and I did not got you.
Speaker 1: This is on video. I listened comment. I did not argue. I did not.
Speaker 3: I did everything. I did not want him, Like, this is Pete Rock. I did not want him. This is this hold on, hold on, hold on, let me get your flowers. This was a testing point for me as my career. Like Pete Rock called and I was like, did he called?
Speaker 1: I was like, you know this. You know we had beepers and ship.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Pete called and I was like, yo, this is Green Streak Recording Studios.
Speaker 1: I remember I called aver Rex and I was like, yo, I gotta have an.
Speaker 4: That.
Speaker 1: I gotta look good with that. And I was asking you about it, and I'm like, when you get that jacket, I was like, I remember, I just came from out here. I forget. I don't want to do it. But that ship was a legendary moment in my life. And you saw it. You saw it in me like you you were one of the first.
Speaker 4: You want to.
Speaker 1: Three sixties. That's what I do. I bring people together.
Speaker 4: As you were saying that, I fast forward to to where we are now, and I was thinking, like, to be honest, like working with Pete for me now is like, Yo, as much as I'm used to being a solo artist, I'm a solo artist, you know, and not many producers. Sometimes they just give you the beat and and they let you go. And and Pete did that some of that that, but it was I really appreciate it. When he would would guide me too. He was if someone right. He would be like, yo, I need you to do this, that like, let's straighten this out, let's do that, and it was it felt like.
Speaker 6: That's being a producer. That's a producer.
Speaker 1: I felt that he was Nigga too. He gonna say it's mooth, but you know what it mean. I make you do it eight times. But I love that. And to me, that's iron.
Speaker 4: Shopping's iron, like you like, okay, man, I'm a i'm a this record gonna come out better. This song will come out better because he putting that type of soul and energy into it. And when you were saying like like us being able to get together, for me, I was like, damn, I'm sitting here with Pete Rock.
Speaker 6: He playing records. I'm hearing records that he's.
Speaker 4: Like, you want to use this and that, watching him shop up something. Let's try these ideas.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: What we always loved about this music, I kind of got to do on this album, like like just sitting down rocking experience.
Speaker 7: Everyone should experience. Man, it's just if you are and you know, working in the physical is way better emailing somebody some beats and ship like that. That's when I felt the album heard.
Speaker 4: That's when I knew, Yo, that's what That's what That's what I felt like. That's when I knew we could make a project as special because it was coming out to his crib and sitting there and him going through music and then even him sending me records Like what I was like, this is the process that it's always been the best when I'm working with a producer. That's how I got to work with Dyla when it was Hey, it was for me and Pete. We got, I mean, we got everybody got their own special connection. But it's also to just to buy Like I ain't you know, I ain't into just people sending me music and then I do the song and I ain't.
Speaker 6: Never met the person.
Speaker 4: You know, I was on this Dude, I was on court as I was on this court a record, and I had never met the producer. I'm on the plane and he tells me, Yo, you're on one of my records. I'm like, it's strange to me.
Speaker 1: Like that ytimate work. But you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: I know we do a lot of work, but sometimes you know, it gets it gets lost, you don't remember, like, oh ship I did that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, But.
Speaker 3: I'm about to say me and I fanabitis argument all the time. We don't. We have Major Independent. I always say I like Major, and he says he likes Independent. But when I say Maker, When I say Major, the reason why I say I like Major is because I can.
Speaker 1: Have the budget to fly this artist and if he's not if this what I mean.
Speaker 3: More since today, But that's that's the reason why I pick it Major, Because if I want to work with con I'm in and back then we had an eight inch rail, I would have to go to Chicago and go work with him and me and people get him the flight like we was on a flight together today and get to the flight and we produced it. That's what made that's why I picked Major more is because of the assets of that finances, that.
Speaker 1: That that that provides that you got to recoup what you got to recool.
Speaker 3: Of course, yes, but that's the reason why I always picked Major is because of course of that like, and I also always picked analog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I like analog more than digital.
Speaker 7: You don't even have your experience with analog coming to see people like me and Premier, you have all these other producers that worked with analog. It's the most important sound music period that gave you that.
Speaker 4: Fact like that, that's that it captures the energy in the room, the music, and it's the soul in that in that In analog too, I.
Speaker 1: Didn't know how to punch in. Yeah, I didn't know. I don't know, didn't punch it. It wasn't as the one one you never heard. You got to tell him about the hook? Oh yeah, what what what what? That's how I counted bars? What what?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What? What? What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 5: What? What?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 6: Everyone got a method today?
Speaker 1: You know that ship. Yes, that's the one that I was nervous. I was crazy. I was nervous sound.
Speaker 4: But I gotta say something about that though, because Pete always we'll be talking about James Brown and man, that's the fact that you's ad lived that and that was just just coming you know just what I'm saying, this is my thing, but it became something so like that's one of the biggest joint in hip hop.
Speaker 3: You were hear something funny about James Brown. I met James Brown and Pharrell. Ironically, it was a bm My Awards for Forarrell and justin Timberlake, and I walked over to James Brown.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey man, you know, he's so nice to meet you. And I could tell he knew. He did not know, but his nephew or whoever leaned over and was like, that's the rapper, that's the rapper.
Speaker 3: And he turned around. He was like, keep saying the ship niggas Brown you got you gotta think about it. All the early records of hip hop is one of the most simple, the most sensible. But you don't care if you a rapper up. He just thinks you're sampled. He's the most sample. But he has some albums that that people ain't listening and these James.
Speaker 6: Brownd songs like.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying I still need to beat kids, you know what I mean, like Baked Beans and do whatever.
Speaker 4: But but that feeling of what I'm saying is what what like Super Doug is like it's a feeling too, Like that's what we got in them records And James Brown, you know like hear me on the one that like he rehearsed that he's just in there giving the feeling. So that honestly one of the what's craziest one of on the Song of Light for me, like one of the most said lyrics for me on the Song of Light, which is you know a love song blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: Is when I say took a tire, took a tire, took a ticket to time.
Speaker 4: Now what's crazy is I didn't have my first finish, so I just like cio tar and what I'm saying it was like and when I tried to change and write something, it just didn't feel I'm keeping that plan. It was like a reference and I never did a take that was better. So I just left in the ticket. And to this day, when I put on that song, that's what the crowd say, the tar and that. When I heard that, I was like, that's the magic of the feeling the divine.
Speaker 3: That was some nor slash food ship. What all of us do is magic, bro Yep, you he does do all magic.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: That's why me and has been kind of started this show is because to me, if you participated in hip hop.
Speaker 1: You're a fucking hero to a certain state.
Speaker 3: Like like like you know how hard it is for you to be famous or half famous or whatever whatever version of you is.
Speaker 1: We can never take our costume off, like I envy the construction worker, envy the McDonald's off their uniform, like I envy them, like I can't take it off and on.
Speaker 4: I always think about like hip hop artists. Man, it's like they superheroes in so many ways because think about this, you, your life and where we come from. You took your life and gave it to people and people want to be like that it affected, they lie. That's called inspiration for you. Like that, like that's the creative working through you. You just did what you was supposed to do and people like think about how many people have listened to you been affected and you just took your aura, just giving your aura in the song like all every experience you give. And that's what's so dope about hip hop because we ain't got We don't have the polish of the pop and and all that, you know, meaning like nobody, nobody's coached you and how to be you. Like where you see some artists, you're like, okay, they've been, they went through that, through that machine, and that's how you know, they become the big the boy bands or whatever.
Speaker 1: And it's those rough edges that make hip hop special.
Speaker 6: And also mistakes made in the studios like oh ship leave it in that you.
Speaker 4: Know, and people you know, obviously, people in certain genres of music, they don't like when I get to perform sometimes with the symphonies and stuff, you know, and I'm like, man, it's two different worlds. I appreciate being able to have all the streams and blah blah blah, but it's such a rigid thing. I'd be like, I'll be bringing them to our world as much as possible. It's like hip hop is like that that what you just said, the mistakes, the freedom, the revolution in it. It's like, man, this is this is I'll be like, man, thank you God for putting me in hip hop, honestly, but even you know, to be honest, even though if going into the acting world, people ask you, people say to me, you're a rapper, so should be able to act. Now now, I don't believe that it's a different discipline, but being able to go and like do what we experienced y'all know what it takes for us to make these records, to go get these records, to go get going to the club. I remember, man, we used to have to go to the radio station earlier in morning, go to the barbershops, go to.
Speaker 1: The club because of a promotional.
Speaker 4: Mind popping. You don't get paid for that type of work. That type of work, man, is like to me, like it helped it shape you for like a lot of stuff that we need to go into in business and all type of shit.
Speaker 3: You know, you know it's you know, you're fucking me up right now, you know what's the crazy thing? My next question was to both for y'all. My next question was because me sometimes I don't I'm scared to speak to the younger generation. I don't know if this makes sense, but let me try to make it make as much sense as it can't. Like what you just said, I want the next younger artist to hear that from you. But this generation that came, and I'm gonna say it, and they're gonna they're gonna be mad at me. They're like dumb, like like they have one track. Think I'm not saying you can't generation, I can't love the whole generation. It because like, look, look what I just said to you. I said, I'm so honored to being with the studio with you. I literally didn't talk.
Speaker 1: Back to you.
Speaker 3: I'm just like, yes, let But that's because I feel like the generation that we came from, what it was about respect. It was about respecting your eldest. We're giving you something good, yes, yes, And where as of now they want they want to test the eldest. Like it's just even like we as we said with you and Drake, like God bless God, blessed Drake. But he was never supposed to come at you because of your seniority to hip hop already it was supposed to You're supposed to be off limits. Like there's certain people that are supposed to be off to be as about Common. You know what I'm saying, It's not supposed to be as wrecking about Pee. So so let me make this question makes sense. Is sometimes I'm scared to reach out to the young generation, Like I've.
Speaker 1: Your city.
Speaker 3: Your city has some of the youngest, wildest, and I imagine if Common reaches out to little Monster, you'll reach out to little Monster and like yo yo yo yo, bro, I just want you to know I've been through everything you've been through. You know what I'm saying. The chicks that you you dated, I've dated though. You know, the wars that you've been through. I've been through the war. Like is it easy for Is that an easy thing? Because it's not an easy thing for me. Comment Pete, I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: The minute I try to talk to a young dude and I feel like they're not listening, I'm like, I got better things than you do. I'm sorry, I'm about guy. I know this, I know this. I came to the realization I'm looking abou over in the mirror and I said, I'm not that mad. I'm not that good of a person, right, but like it close to that. You know what I'm saying, because I listened. I listened to.
Speaker 3: KRS, I listened to Rock Kim, I listened to Big Daddy k My eyeberas are thick because I cut my shit.
Speaker 6: You just dropped, just dropped the gym. That was Actually that was when you were saying.
Speaker 4: One of the for me, I think one of the things that the younger generation didn't feel like we did is listen to them like and like, you know, like we had people that was older than us and just said, like, including parents, it's like, yo, you do what I say, do it that, blah blah blah, and and some of that work.
Speaker 1: I'm glad that my mother gave.
Speaker 4: Me some of that discipline and something, but some of it is like you know, we we came from a generation too where we're like, yo, this is the purest we from the nineties, but where we didn't.
Speaker 6: Listen to them and kind of I don't.
Speaker 1: Know what they was doing.
Speaker 4: So then they're like, well, all right, well y'all ain't when you know, y'all don't give us, y'all don't even respect us.
Speaker 6: And I've been one that that that they felt that about like at some point. But but me too, I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't. Like I got a Harriet Tubman mentality, Like I always feel like, man, if I get any type of wisdom, I'm gonna try to bring it back, any type of resources, I'm gonna try to bring it back.
Speaker 6: I am gonna bring it back, and I'm gonna try to.
Speaker 4: Do it without preaching, and like and the thing I and the thing I've noticed just speaking to Chicago specifically, but I feel like it's you thrown across the board like that man, when you really present with him, give them a listen, hit him out, give them a little wisdom.
Speaker 6: Keep showing by example.
Speaker 4: They start responding to it in certain ways, and if and if they don't, man, sometimes they might get it later. But I understand why you get frustrated, because it's like, yo, bro, I done.
Speaker 6: Man, come on, man, like I don't. Bit's what you think I believe.
Speaker 7: Like, especially, I'm a very opinionated guy, so you know, I critique. You know, I'm like, you could do better here, you could say better rhyme here. You know that's the kind of thing I am. So they may take it as disrespect, but I'm really saying do better.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying, do better because hip hop taught me to be better.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah. I also think.
Speaker 8: I also think there's a generation of ogs that tried to act like hygs, and this young generation was like looking at like, was like, man, don't, don't don't try to act like us, act like you, so we could know what to expect down the line, what to emulate down the line.
Speaker 1: The only way I'm acting like that, Buster said.
Speaker 3: Buster said he accepted his life time speech toward I don't even know if you guys remember as me t ward.
Speaker 1: He was like us, oh gz, we gotta we got to play our part. Yeah, and he was like, why they listening to us because we don't look our part. And I was just like, damn, but he's not wrong, right, you know what I mean? Some of them look at us and then and they don't see us in a car. They like, they don't see us in a watch. They're like, they're like, oh man, well we got more than you. So it's hard to listen to somebody you think you're doing better.
Speaker 6: Then yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: But then I think, you know, sometimes they should be you know, some of them be empty with the stuff they feel like.
Speaker 6: God, their soul still be empty. Yeah, and when you when you give.
Speaker 4: Them a little something like man, I just straight up had talks with youngins from Chicago like Yo, I needed, Yo, you need to go to this therapy.
Speaker 6: Man therapy. Like I'm telling you this right now.
Speaker 4: You see me and you feel like, oh yeah you successful and and yo you got this you acting you blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: No, go to therapy.
Speaker 1: Bro. It has helped me and my thing is like that.
Speaker 4: I feel like for me, I'm thinking of Chicago too in a way like the ogs. When I became a first shorty first started calling me o G I'm like, oh, ship, but I mean that.
Speaker 1: That was a whole long time. But hold up, but because you ain't make it.
Speaker 4: But I think, you know, like one of the things I felt like we I can speak specifically, especially when it comes to the gang culture in Chicago, I feel like we like the dudes that raised us, they gave us certain amounts of like laws, wisdom and stuff that just like moral conduct in the streets. You know what I'm saying, like this, like this is too far, Like you ain't like if you go if you do this, that's a violation and you're gonna you're gonna pay for it. And I don't think like we in my generation when it came to the Chicago culture really sat down and it took that time.
Speaker 6: You gotta take time with these youngests. You got to be consistent. You gotta be consistent.
Speaker 1: I learned. I'm going to tell you something common I've been going.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Chicago is like my number seventh market, like seventh eighth it was.
Speaker 1: It was in my top ten. So I've been going to call and by the way, I'm half black, half so I have nothing but tires.
Speaker 3: In Chicago, my family and my family went for Puerto Rico Spanish hallm Chicago.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 3: In the nineties, even though they might have said that Chicago was worse than the nineties, they had OG's. I felt safe for going to Chicago in the nineties early two thousands. Then I do go in there now where I feel like and now you can you can forgive me. I mean, you could correct me.
Speaker 1: Excuse me. I don't feel like this structure now, but you just named it. You just named it. A COMPETI Green. I went to Competing, you know, went to Competty Green. I I gotta be a good.
Speaker 3: Times d the club across the street.
Speaker 1: I did. I did a record with R. Kelly. I know it's frown upon now, but I did that. It was classic songs like that, what's good it is good? So and I say it on the R. Kelly record, I said, Sammy's, So, Sammy's was this this? This so like soul Foods.
Speaker 3: Fire Ticket restaurant across the street from Competer Green and people used to be like.
Speaker 1: Yo, why do you keep going there? Like I just love But what I'm trying to tell you is I didn't know.
Speaker 3: I was in a dangerous place because it was so structured, like the o gs.
Speaker 1: Had me like like you know what I mean, o G.
Speaker 4: But that's what the os to to me at that point was Mathur's like that Authur is so my west.
Speaker 1: The other one is.
Speaker 4: I think the ogs knew it, like you said, like I said earlier, a little bit like they knew like you can't go but so far it was and you like, man, we ain't gon ain't no children gonna get some children get hid in this and you you're gonna pay for that, you know what I'm saying. And when younger people just started dying, man, like young people just out at the park I'm talking, and babies started getting shot, I just felt like, man, ashamed of our city. Like I felt like, man, we gotta do better, and man, people working to try to do things, and and it's it's a it's a collective by dude.
Speaker 6: We got we got so many positive things about that. But I mean I brought that up.
Speaker 4: But the answer your question about the youngest, I think you know, man, we just got to keep reaching for him man, and said, listen to him too. Bro. My daughter taught me that ship my son. Yeah, my daughters like my daughter too. Yeah, you ain't got all the answers. And I'm like she basically, I mean, she said in her own way, and I was like, you know what, You're right, I don't answers. And even if I think I'm right, I still need to hear you out, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's just to me.
Speaker 6: That's the collector. We got to hit the young is out.
Speaker 3: You know what I read the other day on the plane sitting there going through something, and they told me that Chicago real estate is the illest real estate, Like it's the place to invest in right now, but not according to our music.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, what the were hearing it? Just think about what I just said. I'm on, you know, i' mean whatever.
Speaker 8: Exact gentrification though, because I got something, it's got something. It's beautiful license I was looking because they tore down it was a complete green right green.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But shots, speaking of real estate, I want to shout out my man more repeat the real estate in Chicago. If you want real estate, what's the vibe on Hyde Park though always High Park was always like High Park was one of the It's crazy because when when you were saying Puerto Rican.
Speaker 9: Porto parade from that park, that's not from there, boy boy, he was from there, Puerto Rican.
Speaker 4: But but I'm gonna tell you though, y'all, I gotta say, being in Chicago, to be honest, like it's a real segregated city. I didn't know Puerto Ricans and Dominicans could look like we do. Like until I came to New York, till I met Juju and last from the beating Us that's from the story.
Speaker 1: Of Corona, Corona, Corona. I was beating us Corona.
Speaker 6: That was my first like.
Speaker 1: That's what I got my last and ju Ju fat.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying I didn't know that it could, you know, so like until I started getting in New York and then that that exposed me to like, oh man, it's different cultures and different people.
Speaker 1: You know. It's the funny shit.
Speaker 3: I've been touring since nineteen ninety eight, so I forget what year this was. And I called my Spanish cousins from Chicago and my Black cousins from Chicago.
Speaker 1: They met me at the House of Blues.
Speaker 3: They found out they lived across the street from each other for twenty years and didn't know each other.
Speaker 6: What are you serious? I swear, Wow, that's cousins. It happened.
Speaker 3: Still, it's my black cousin, right, that's black, and my Spanish cousin. So their cousins my default right, But they're like, yo, cool now they I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: They might still be shooting at family members. I got with each other the day, Holy ship, how is it over there? It's okay, how is it over there? That's why they may be closed, but the world's apart.
Speaker 3: And it was like, that's when I knew how segregated Chicago was because in New York, in Jersey, the Bronx and Mount Vernon, like blacks and Latinos pretty pretty much lived in the same environment. And then when I went to l a and then I seen that, like we had will i Am on recently, and will I Am was like the only like, yeah, he was.
Speaker 1: Career man. You don't you don't see that. But I had not known that living in New York City my whole life.
Speaker 3: I thought that, you know, everyone is like that, because in New York is It's like, if you're really.
Speaker 1: Really from New York, you can't be racist. Man, you have a Russian neighbor, Yeah, you have a Haitian who lives downstairs.
Speaker 3: You have a Haitian who cooks downstairs. Weird is Jamaican belt, so it's kind of weird. It's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Then you got a Jamaican and they got the Colombian. You got Colombian, and.
Speaker 4: It's like, maybe not, but that's what I love. That's what I love about New York. But man, that was the thing that I would to this day what I love about New York.
Speaker 1: It's the most.
Speaker 4: It's the most I see a different cultures people and it ain't like it ain't like it ain't no fakeness about the way it blends. Like I'll be seeing like black and white dudes, Latino dudes playing handball together, like pick up handball.
Speaker 6: Being in New York, it's it's easy to adapt.
Speaker 7: And when once you're in New York, you know what I'm saying, Like the culture is so crazy, everyone just kind of adapts to that ship.
Speaker 1: You know. Well, look, let me just tell you what our show is about. Man.
Speaker 3: Our show is about giving people they fly bro while they are alive. They where they could smell them, with the trees you can hell them where you could think them, and drinks where you could drink them.
Speaker 1: And we wanted to give y'all. Y'all people you are. You are one of the best producers of all time. Thank you, sir. You know that.
Speaker 3: Hold on, let me can give you your flowers. I love your humbleness. I love how you keep it fucking hip hop. Yes, sir, like no matter if you tell me right now, say Pete Walkins in Sweden, I'm like, keeping a hip hop.
Speaker 1: I don't need to know what you're doing in Sweden.
Speaker 3: You could be doing a roller skating ring and people running around with tights.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I bet you Pete is keeping a hip hop. I don't know and comment.
Speaker 3: Let me just tell you something. I'm a movie buff, so I know my friend who can't speak English that good. He's seen every one of your movies and I know he might have been freestyle a little bit.
Speaker 1: I've seen everyone of you.
Speaker 3: Thanks and the worlds have you brung us to and represented our culture. We all owe you, Yes, we owe you big time, because again, when I see coming, I'm like keeping a hip hop I don't have to question you like there's certain people that I would look like, Man, he fucked up.
Speaker 1: He represents the.
Speaker 3: Coaching no more like it's certain it's certain people. But and the fact that you two brothers is getting together, getting together to drop this album in June. Correct man, the fact that we have a record to guess exactly exactly nineties.
Speaker 1: But I've done stuff for you too. That's right.
Speaker 3: To give you your flowers, tell y'all how important your hours to the coach, how proud we are of y'all, and how.
Speaker 1: Much we want y'all to keep going. Man, Because one thing that that jay Z album taught me about four four four is we don't have to dumb down us. We could up it, and we could because our audience with us. He's they might work for u bs now, but they grew with us like they you know what I'm saying, Like, we don't have to like you said something earlier, you said you didn't like when artists we're trying to sound like the West Coast, and so that's what you said on our level. But at one point everyone and wanted to be from the South hip hop. It's still it's still has still it's still.
Speaker 9: It's New York.
Speaker 1: Fault play in New York for that people do not let him get away with you New York. And I'm not saying you individual, I'm gonna say cats in New York. Certain cats.
Speaker 7: Now everybody lost some identity of where they're from and what they represent. And so that's why I'm like, yo, you know, when let the South be the South because I love Outcast, that's my favorite group in the South and Luda and all them. Rest in peace to Rico and he was the awesome he was awesome producer. You know, shout out to Jip, you know, that's my guy from Goodie Mom. So my thing is like, you know, let them be who they are and always represent who you are. And if y'all end up doing music together, then y'all just make it fun with both, with both Atlanta and New York.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, listen, So let me ask you, Pete being from Mount Vernon, like Mount Vernon is always kind of known as the sixth Borough, right because it's technically not New York City, but it's New York.
Speaker 1: Yes, was that a burden on you or was that a plus? I don't know.
Speaker 7: Right next to the Bronx, right next to the Bronxronx right then I could walk to the Bronx from Mount Vernon. So my my thing is, it's just like it's the hidden city in New York.
Speaker 1: You feel me? You know what?
Speaker 7: Heavy Day, Ozzie Davis, Ruby, d Wow, Felicia shot and Madrashot.
Speaker 6: Williams, Gus Williams, the Knicks.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Dick Clark went to Mount Vernon High School. Denzel Washington, Nina Simon too. Okay, yeah, man, bro Yees, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Hold On, you mentioned Heavy D. I feel like Heavy D hasn't got to just do with all the.
Speaker 3: Celebration of well because of him, why I got started, a lot of people, a lot of people picked up the.
Speaker 7: Whole neighborhood put him on his back. That's why I missed him so much. I love her so much.
Speaker 1: Your cousin Greg, Yeah, he took, he took, He took us all with him. Yeah, he was a forest man with him.
Speaker 4: He opened it up for like hip hop is in different ways. Yeahs. As Tip said on that don't curse the bump did ahead is a favor on my mama's like the head is the favorite of Mama's used to heavy. D was the one that took it to some people, like took the music where older people, certain people like were like, oh I actually like this this music because you know they used to be like rap, like what is that?
Speaker 7: But it wasn't forever. I wouldn't have probably been with Molly Ma. Wow, you feel what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: How explain that?
Speaker 7: Because he pitched me at the time Marlly needed a DJ on the radio in New York City on w b l S, and he said, he said, Yo, my cousin, My cousin is dope. Listen to him trying, and he gave me a shot. And that's how I built my name. Shout out to Mary, Yeah, shout out tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Let me give you another one. This this one brew my mom. We had d m C on here. Oh yeah. D MC said, pe Rock saved my cook.
Speaker 6: You know what that You know what that means?
Speaker 1: Did you hear it from?
Speaker 10: You know what?
Speaker 1: That made me? That was so dope, undersud what he was.
Speaker 8: Talking about with Donald the King and everything that happened with those records, because that was.
Speaker 6: In the beginning of my career and me and Jay were like this with each other.
Speaker 7: And when I met Russell, it was like, damn, I got approved to these dudes, Russell Lee or I got I got something to prove and so, like you know, I felt like the first run up down with the King, Russell's made some comments and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, shit, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: It wasn't good, Like yeah, like you know what I'm saying, Like you know, but it's all good because Jay was like, don't worry about it, Pete, don't worry about it. We're gonna keep working on it. And then we did the beat and actually, I don't know if people know this, but Jay literated the actual beat pattern he wanted right. So I was like, I just hit record and said you do it.
Speaker 1: MM.
Speaker 7: So what you hear on the record right now is Jay's programming of the drums, And all I did was add to the wow.
Speaker 1: Bucking up my whole child, yo, yo.
Speaker 8: But I don't think what people understand about that record and what you did there, and what DMC was trying to tell us is that you brought them up to speed to the newer generation. That that wasn't an easy task bring run DMC into that.
Speaker 7: World because you know, we were new and when we had a hit record, we had reminisce.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is right here, this is by the way. Let me just say, let me just think one of the greatest. I saw none of this.
Speaker 3: I always thought that they never had a dry spell. And he said that what I'm saying, he fucked up my childhood because I was like what and he was like, you Pete Rock saved and like he said it again.
Speaker 1: I tried to give him a drink. It didn't work.
Speaker 3: I was like, were you sure like and he was like, but but you know, I'm not in the industry at this time. So has always been the biggest. And he says, no, if it wasn't for beat Rock, Like he reiterated what one DMC is.
Speaker 1: I was DMC. I've told y'all he's man. That's my guy. JMJ.
Speaker 6: We were the closest when he was alive. Me and Jay were really close.
Speaker 1: Yo.
Speaker 4: What's crazy is the first my first chance at a record deal coming from Chicago. Jam Master J was going to sign me, but but wow, he decided, he told me, and first, You're right. He was one of the coolest brothers just no. And and you know, coming from the crib, coming from Chicago, we was trying to get hurt. And somehow he got our demo because we send the demos to you know, used to look at the back of the records and send the demos and he had JMJ and he met with us and everything. He's like, man, I'm thinking about signing you, but he decided not to.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: He he ended up going WITHX running the back.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, and then I can see that. But he told me, yeah, it just made sense. And he was like, I ain't signing you too, because you was over here and your managers over here, your producers over here. But man, he kind of like always would would embrace me and shed light, you know, and I hear stories about about what you're saying, like and he programmed that that's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I never knew that. I was like, you do it.
Speaker 6: He's like he said to be.
Speaker 7: He's like, I'm dat you can get And I just said, all right, look, hit the record button.
Speaker 1: I said, just hit the kick Just do that.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: But let me ask you, Chris, because the way DMC describes it, Hopefully you saw the episode.
Speaker 1: If not see.
Speaker 3: Everything because he describes it as if like they were literally over and you gave them like what that's your It was their album Back from Hell that didn't do well, that's the reason.
Speaker 1: And so they came to me at that time and he said hip hop had changed, yes, drastic, Yes, that's when we were brand new.
Speaker 7: So he came to me, and you know, we worked out some beats, and Down with the King was the one that you know, I started playing samples and records. That's the first thing I do when you come to see me, I'm playing records. You like that, I want me hook that up, and that's how it goes.
Speaker 3: I know that's but did you know what he was saying like that, that you was literally bringing their career back.
Speaker 1: You knew that well.
Speaker 7: I didn't know that, but when I heard him say it, that ship made me feel good. That should This is a this is a group. I'm a fan. I used to buy the records run to the record store boys.
Speaker 1: So you're literally saying you just produced this record just just to produce it.
Speaker 6: No, I produced it because I wanted it would have been That was an honor. I got a question though, too, you.
Speaker 4: Like, so, who have you been in the studio with where you've been, Like, damn, I'm actually producing for this person.
Speaker 1: Run dm C, running to run d B. Because there's the beatles of hip hop at that they were.
Speaker 7: That I would run to the record store to buy the vinyl, like buying I'm you know, d A. P. Rock, I'm buying the record. You know what I'm saying, I.
Speaker 1: Stole this run. He said he didn't work his house. They say, you fakeers out destroyed my child.
Speaker 3: Everything you went through, all that I used to I used to ride my bike, listen in the rank, all that, man, that was what about?
Speaker 4: Okay, what about when y'all when y'all did world is Because you're saying now you mentioned that too. Was it like you played him the beat and he and he's just like, that's it? Or was it?
Speaker 10: You know?
Speaker 3: I had that beat already made. Hold on, all right, let me sit back. No, no, no, that's his question. Let me get ready for your answer. Oh my god, I wanted to notice, so you know, I had that beat already made.
Speaker 7: And when he came over, I pulled these discs out and started going through the disc and then found that one and played it. And then I was about to play sticking another disk and play another beat. He was like no, no, no, no, no, no no, and he just started doing this oh oh okay like that. And then he had his composition book of rhymes and he started going through the book.
Speaker 1: Was it was it the black and white bok found the page and he was.
Speaker 6: Like and then they put the book down and he was like, I want you to sing this.
Speaker 1: Hold on, so you're saying when you play the beat.
Speaker 3: He had his book book as an he didn't with the black and white, the black.
Speaker 1: Book right now writing in my book run right, He's true, that's true. That line is crazy because so so so.
Speaker 6: Then you know he's so.
Speaker 3: He had these rhymes already read and he's had the hook and he said, I want you to shoot the singer. He's like, I want you to sing.
Speaker 1: I was like, singer, you weren't doing vocals yet? Yeah, I wasn't. Like so this is the first time people.
Speaker 6: Said I'm not a singer. What do you want me to sing?
Speaker 1: Sing?
Speaker 7: But I had this voice when in hip hop where I would play around in the ad libs and be doing those stuff and trying to help and they liked it.
Speaker 4: But how did you first know the ad libs because that she was like, that's you're one of the first, like and really one of the only what other producers y'all might know, but what other producers on their beats the ad libs?
Speaker 8: It was, I only think of it, and it's not a producer necessarily, it's puff that would do that.
Speaker 3: I don't know where I got that ad lib ship from James Brown. He's to talk on his records.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your is your signature, yo.
Speaker 4: Ad libs is like hooks like we were like for real, like my god, like I can listen to straighten it out. Oh yeah, oh yeah, like I know them them ad libs, Like that's that's it is.
Speaker 7: Let's talk about the joint me, you and this man. Yeah, old survivors, come on, yo, the joint what you wanted him?
Speaker 1: Hold on hold, we're gonna get back to you. All right. I gotta take a leak man because some crazy right there. That was like the it was collaboration right there. Yes, what fun.
Speaker 6: On the same beat on the Pete rock beat comment, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So you he explaining them the rules like how Paul is playing you and this is our well, I don't know you guys, gonna drink wine as your shot. You can drink my choice.
Speaker 8: You just take a sip. So it's our drinking game. We're gonna give you two choices, right, you didn't. We didn't play this back then.
Speaker 1: No money. You picked one of the two, and nobody drinks. I was smoking. You say both in neither of the politically correct. That my car. We all drinking. I'll take a shot. And if something, if there's a story that goes along with somebody you mentioned, please, there's not anything negative about anybody.
Speaker 6: I want to mention people. All Right, we're good.
Speaker 1: Fun. I'm gonna start with you. It's this crazy alarm man put off your car.
Speaker 4: Bro At twice I thought it was you know, No, it's you. I mean we got to wait to that.
Speaker 1: Tupac or d m X whichever, whatever reason.
Speaker 6: For you Tupac for me. Man, Tupai hit like.
Speaker 4: He had an emotional thing that I that I feel like we hadn't heard hip hop like, and he was like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: I think he he tapped into and you met to correct, yeah for sure.
Speaker 4: And he tapped into like black consciousness and gave like black men and coon cluting black.
Speaker 6: And Latino people because that was our culture.
Speaker 4: But he spoke to that and where you was from, you kind of related to him in some way or another now like and he just had a heart to him and could do different types of records. And I feel like, you know, Tupot Dem Mexican and a lot of people to me were influenced by extension.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I gotta go with pop. It's where I get.
Speaker 7: It's where I get Tupacs of Gemini and DMX is from Aunt vernon you.
Speaker 1: Taking a shot taking this?
Speaker 6: Can we skip this one?
Speaker 1: You got the next one? You know both. This is definitely for you. They wrote this for you. By the way, this is the Colombian and Dominican it's gonna be. When he asked you, can you predicted.
Speaker 3: You want to text it to me? So the first one, okay, the first one of the two names. He's gonna say, no idea.
Speaker 1: Of Kanye O. Man.
Speaker 4: When I walked in here, y'all was playing Resurrection. I gotta y'all no ideas is manast he's a bad dude.
Speaker 1: Man like.
Speaker 6: Them records was I was. I was like, damn. Then I snapped on them beats. So I'm gonna give it up for no idea.
Speaker 8: On it felt like y'all was a group the way that y'all came out of coming say like you came out, but it felt like it was a group.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean what, I know him since fourth grade, like fourth grade, so he started making beats when we were in high school. I was rhyming already, and then he just you know, was able to start making whatever records he got nn he eventually started getting around like cats, where we're going to the record on conventions and stuff, and that's where we're going the Resurrection.
Speaker 1: Georgia, Chicago. That's how I mess room.
Speaker 3: I think us how I was right, You're right, you're right, all right, listen for you. No, no, the next one is for you. Yeah, I'm gonna keep it, gonna stay with you the brat or Eve.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with Eve.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 4: I mean, I know y'all think I'm gonna pick my Chicago's love to her, but man, Eve had a little more like just rhyme to her, like she could rhyme and uh, I don't know she was she had a little more style to her. You know, I don't know if it was just because of the East coacht thing that she had with her being from Philly. But I don't know. I think her records are I gravitated to more than more than the brats in all respects to my West Side girl.
Speaker 6: But I'm just telling the truth.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: That's fair. True. We're going with you now. Okay, they wrote this, not mean. Okay, Alchemists or Riza Optimists aco Alchemists. Come on, you said both. You can say.
Speaker 3: I love them both, you know, like I love them both. I've been loving Alchemists a lot lately. Didn't Alchemist jumping his beef too?
Speaker 1: Yes, the ground he produced it for that, he said he had given the beat a while ago. You can't say that now. I'm making you right. He was that.
Speaker 6: He made me mad, He made man.
Speaker 1: He was trying to get positive and may be mad. Come on, man, are we taking the shop of that? No?
Speaker 3: He picked pick picked, Okay, Timbo and Pharrell beat Timbo and I like Pharrell like you take that one too.
Speaker 1: We want you to.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go with Pharrell too, man like.
Speaker 1: I like man.
Speaker 4: Pharrell to me like being able to do some different type of records that happy and man like. He can go from happy to superol you know to he did like a song for me called Come Closer, but then he could go a lot of places like you know, so for Rell, he's just a songmaker. They're both super Dola. I know they're from Virginia, but I'm gonna go with Pharrell.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those Virginia Virginia crime. I like this town Loope. Oh yeah, that's the rapper. Oh who that's that's a tough one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because I I remember when my daughter, my daughter first played me chance. This is funny, but Loop is, Man, I have heard Loupe and a lot of Ship. I heard him freestyle and I'm a big fan of I heard him like, man, I heard him kick some rhymes when I'm like, yo, this ship is some of the best raps I've heard, like, like just really good raps. So I'm gonna go with Loupe. I love both of them. Them and soundtrack produced Sloope stuff in the beginning. Yeah, so I was feeling some of those sloop a.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The only thing I ever critique Loop on period Push Kick no is they did a huh the what.
Speaker 3: Yeah when it was a tribical quest Yeah yeah, yeah, and like he didn't know those little. Yes right, I'm sorry, Lupe because he's like, you know, if you keep bringing this ship and I'm sorry, I just I promise you I love you.
Speaker 1: It's just that one moment like me being a trial called crest for nothing out like shot shot like you can't.
Speaker 3: Your word, like like I remember, like and I know all of us met big for wife. Fife was so competitive. See me one day because I said, know this, you know that, no Jack, no bust that, nor he busts that. But I got that from fight know this, don't know that And I'm digging Fife up. Fife sees me and goes my Jack one of your lists, like giving about that?
Speaker 6: No ways about that. I know that that lyric was so famous. That line is so famous.
Speaker 1: Yeeah yeah when you did it over, okay, when.
Speaker 6: The fight thing over, nobody was like nobody should.
Speaker 1: Be fighters competitive. He would with the Knick stuff right now.
Speaker 6: About Jets Nicks. You know we're all New York teams.
Speaker 4: That's why I had I did this. I did this what well yeah man, yo, I mean yeah. I remember like coming to the New Music Seminar, which was this thing that used to have in New York, like being unsigned and seeing try call quest and I was like, this is after they first out. They an't even did low end theory yet.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 6: And I was just like they fight, said what's up?
Speaker 1: I wasn't.
Speaker 4: I wasn't known or nothing, but fighting all them just said so they weren't trying to we was crabbing the seas to them. Probably they weren't like trying to get look like you was down with native tongue. That's my I definitely got like a point where like, yeah, at that point, this is ninety ninety. So in fact, I remember being there, I saw a law for this is like I saw a law for nes krres and poor rights teachers like they was. They was hosting the thing and then leaders of New School was about to perform and something went out and Buster came up and started beatboxing for.
Speaker 6: For for Why is intelligence for poor Richards?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 6: And it was crazy bro.
Speaker 4: And then Krress and Buster was beat boxing for wise intelligence for.
Speaker 1: Poor We're gonna make some noise for that, yo.
Speaker 4: That's that's ship. So that was like my first time getting to come to New York. I had like about fifteen dudes from Chicago staying. We stayed in one hotel room, and we were just happy to be be in New York and that that was a new music seminar. That's when I saw Fife and man, you know, Tribe is one of my favorite groups ever.
Speaker 6: It's like it's like Pete Rock cl like driving and.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm on Tribe second album. I did the jazz joint. We got the jazz we got.
Speaker 4: That's why you say Pete Rock on the beat, but a short shot that's like classic class. I got to keep it with you because he better pick it this way ematic or straight out of content allmatic ematic. Illmatic changed the way I rap, changed the way so many people rap.
Speaker 1: It had changed.
Speaker 4: They had changed hip hop it had it has the greatest producers, like of hip hop in that like.
Speaker 6: On that album, that writing is to me, it's.
Speaker 4: Like I know people, I mean to me, it's at the level like when you like hundreds of years from now, when people study writing and black literature and all that stuff, like like how Kendrick wont to poland surprise, that's Polish surprise, you know what give large, professor, And we did and we actually did, yes for pulling us together.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you're saying that was Large Professors.
Speaker 3: Large Professor is the one who contacted everyone. He contacted me primo. Wait, so he's a executive producer.
Speaker 6: He's the one that brought us all together.
Speaker 4: What was he think?
Speaker 1: Was it his idea? He did not? Do you think?
Speaker 6: No said yo, I want to work.
Speaker 7: Yeah he did, he did, But I mean Large was already hanging with each other. I used to go to Glorious on going to Green Green.
Speaker 3: Line Records store of course street from Coliseum in Queens.
Speaker 4: I was always I love when he said I just hanging out. I'd be up in Mount Vernon peacing with small rock making beats, that shopping. But you know what, I had never heard what you just said. It Maatic it's my favorite album. Sometimes like when I and now this happens to be my friend.
Speaker 1: So sometimes I get like stalkery. I keep bringing up. He'll be looking at me like, man, you remember what you said? You know, you know, but I had never heard what you just said.
Speaker 3: So and just because I'm a little stalkery, just because of that, you're telling me the first time you ever got a call about anybody name, And I said, what's through Large?
Speaker 1: So you didn't even hear of who knows was wow.
Speaker 4: Just before Alive at the Barbecue.
Speaker 7: Barbecue, because then that's when they came up with this, you know, like, yo, we we're going to get this producer, this producer, this produced But.
Speaker 8: The fact that he even has him in Life at the Barber he shows you how much Large Professor was involved in all of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what's crazy on Live at the Barbecue. People gravitated more than Anelly than they did. I mean, at least like a months. My crew we was like, oh, he's doing that. But then you heard that, which it was.
Speaker 12: When I was twelve, I went to help with I'm the bar no ready to go back to the game again and then you go back.
Speaker 3: I had more of of personality like like but that line fucked the industry.
Speaker 1: When I was twelve, I went to help us nothing Jesus because we didn't know if it was hard off.
Speaker 3: I guess I was up for the church. I was like up in the chuck, like, wasn't right. I can't say this, but I was like, you know, he didn't say that. That's when rap changed when he said that.
Speaker 4: When he said that, But what you say, nos is I mean he is nots It's his own thing. But I would like to ask him this question too. But just as as we are saying we are fans, would it be Cool g Or or Rock Kim that had the most When y'all hear like allmatic.
Speaker 1: Would you say is Cool most influence? No, it's not one of the other you know, you know it can't be one of the others because once to be one. I don't like, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: The fact how Rock Kim put his words together with intelligence but was still hood.
Speaker 1: That's one.
Speaker 6: Storytelling and all.
Speaker 3: But when it comes to g Rap, where you where g Rap said something L Street Blues, you knew what he was talking about, and that's how Naves got together. So like, I can't say it was one of that, I can't say I would take.
Speaker 1: You're making me before we leave. I'm not only texting him the question, I'm sitting him in this footage for him to respond.
Speaker 6: What makes it official is when Nas and g rapped through the joint.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's that's That's how you know that he was influenced by That's why I.
Speaker 4: Think Rap had a little bit more influence. You want to take the reason why I feel like I take my shot too. I feel like you what you're saying too, because like what I'm saying when NAS changed the way niggas is rhyming. But that's one doing them three syllable things like rappers, I'm monkey flipping and what the.
Speaker 1: Musician and flipping the composition I can't. I like scoff A slipping cocaine sixteen and with the pandamic straine, bully holes lpp in your pot holes up the street goes heavy and not of feet folds, y'all know my you know went through without the airplace. I keep some of me and Ja saying been up in the stairway.
Speaker 4: But that was that's that's some cool g had.
Speaker 1: It was like facility that that's all cool. GI like scheme is Coolie Rapp.
Speaker 3: Tell you truth if you was to tell me, if you was, if I was to have to bet to say the two mcs that influence it matters the most, I would say g Rapp and rock Camp.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean, what's the two season influenced you the most?
Speaker 1: Ah ge wrapping biz marky.
Speaker 3: BNZ had fun Like when I did the Warrior War, I'm not you asked me so, I said, But when I did the warport, I was angry, angry man.
Speaker 1: I listened to that. I'm like, I don't like this guy. This guy is not my friend. I wouldn't. I wouldn't introduce myself to me.
Speaker 3: Like like if this nigga of the forty six year old version of me, if I've seen the twenty one year version of the work for I would walk the other way.
Speaker 1: No, but you get flowers for war Yeah, of course, yeah, you get that.
Speaker 3: But it was and you said, you said two, but I'm gonna give you three, okay, And no one ever sees this in my style because I want to be the exact opposite of my hero. It was an MC called Granddaddy, Are you.
Speaker 1: Daddy?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 1: You were smooth And I've said this before, but I'm gonna say it again. He changed my whole life. He made it one rhyme. He said, I knew what girl named Kenya from West Virginia. Boy, would I like to stick something in what he said? He said that ship right there? I said, I want to be him. Grand there. I heard his name and listen to me.
Speaker 3: That's my only thing. It's two things I regret in hip hop right now? Look and I'm throwing it right back to y'all. I'm trying to make it. They say, it's the same exact thing. My mother asked me one day. She said, I want to meet I want I want to, I want to. She called me, she said, I want you to. I want to do something. I want you to meet somebody. And I was like, ma, I think she's going to ask me to meet Michael Jackson. I ain't that big man, like yo, you you look too much. And you know what she says, I want to meet big Punt And I go, is my brother, Like, I don't rush this at all. I'm like, my you you picked low hanging fruit. You know what I'm saying, Like, I got that meets you. Pun Pun dies two weeks later. And the only other thing that I regret in hip hop right now is I didn't give Big Granddaddy you his flowers. I gave him his flowers period, like he knows he's my favorite MC, like I feel when when he introduced himself, we say I'm glad that you he'd be like people like that. You nigga know what you be talking about because I always I always did that. But those are my two things that co, let's get back.
Speaker 1: We need to hear two influences for you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I ain't gonna stop it too. I'm gonna get three, give me three. First, I would start with Rock Kim. Rock Kim was like the He was the dude that made me be like, man, I want to be a rapper. I had already been rhyming and run them seeing all the l but rock him when I heard I had never heard nobody rap in they in their voice like in.
Speaker 1: That way that he was doing. Did you realize he didn't her which is DZ. Realize that I didn't hardcore?
Speaker 4: So hard core and what he was opening my mind up?
Speaker 1: And I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know some of the stuff he was saying, but it just resonated with myself. Rock him, kall Rest one one because this dude, like I was like, I hadn't even heard what vegetarian was to the point on for real, y'all vegan, but I ain't know what vegetarian was to Krest and them start talking about blah blah blah because like, you know, we're in Chicago, we eating but and man, then I got to say Big Daddy came because it was something about Caine. I loved the similes that he would kick, you know, like you know if you all would to eat and feed me dope and you know, like something he would say that. I was like these punchlines. Craig loved his great crazy. But the fourth who actually, like we talked about already, I gotta give Nas his because Nas was like and after those people that like with the foundation. Nas was the one that made me like my age. But I was like, oh, this is the level. You got a rhyme, man, you gotta be at this level.
Speaker 1: He raised the bar. Yeah, he raised the boss.
Speaker 6: So I got them them. I had to get four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a chief like you. I gotta throw knives in there to.
Speaker 7: Pro I'm gonna say, I'm gonna say James Brown, I'm gonna say Big Daddy came.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say Molly Ma and Heavy d did Molly events sampling?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he sampled records like people.
Speaker 7: I mean, I guess and before Molly came out, people were sampling, but like it was done differently. But he brought a new procedure.
Speaker 8: The way that it was explained to us by some I forgot who told him that he he sampled in the in the way that it sounded like the original way that djits were looping brakes.
Speaker 1: He brought that now to the modern ages and.
Speaker 7: And did it with precision. Man, That's one of the things that I admired about his beast. Anytime, you know, I would be right there with my paws button with the radio, listening to mister Magic and listening and waiting for Molly saying, Yo, I got something No I did with Big Daddy, Can Dennis ain't no halfstan?
Speaker 6: God damn is the bridge? Is that a sound or is that a record?
Speaker 1: You think? I like that?
Speaker 7: That's that's this record called Scratching. It's an old school break beat. And he took the part and said wow and made it go backwards.
Speaker 1: Molly.
Speaker 6: I'm a fan just because of that little incident right there.
Speaker 1: I love hip.
Speaker 3: Bridges the ultimate Queen's record, and for him to put that sound in it. Whenever I hear that sound, I think about queens period.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy.
Speaker 3: We just had Charlie Chase on here, and I asked, Charlie Chase. I was like, because if she says on the record, hip hop started out and fought.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, can it be a chance that sh just you know, she saw it. This was the park it started out basically I'm trying to I'm trying to say ship.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like I always felt like between the brig just over and the bridge, I thought they were both gigantic records with all this of kars one, you know, doing that, and but but that bridge joint stabbed. Y'all, y'all should thank Mary for that.
Speaker 1: Think and you don't forget neither. We don't forget this thing. Okay, hold on, we're gonna get back to quickly. You gotta play them wise up. Oh yeah, we're gonna play them, of course. Yeah, I'm gonna ask you, and I'm going to ask you. This is both for y'all questions, because y'all represent the light skintting delegation in the Brown. Let's see what's going on here, Kenjick Lamar.
Speaker 4: Or Drake Man, I'm gonna I'm gonna is he talking about the battle or just over whatever you want?
Speaker 6: I mean, Kendrick Lamar is more to to to what I love is just in the MC. So I'm gonna I'm gonna go with.
Speaker 4: Kenchick by doing a say and this ain't politically correct For me to be honest, I feel like at times when Drake rhyman, like I heard this eight Am and Charlotte, and I was like, still rhyme when he get over like he was he was over a certain beasts, And I'm like, when he choose to rhyme, he could rhyme. But Kendrick Lamar is an MC that I will put Like I said, it's one of the top of the seasons any era.
Speaker 6: Like if I put him in in eighties, he would be one of the greatest.
Speaker 4: If I put him in nineties, he'd be one of the greatest, if I put him in this to me, he possesses that type of aura and lyrical like your skill this point blank like style. I like when people can go to different styles too. That ain't that ain't always easy? Like to me, that's when you are you being practice. You got lyrics, but then you also a musician too, because like certain people and I gotta I got a theory that I don't know how true it is, but I believe that a lot of producers rhyme better the beats than some mcs. They just rhythmically when I hit pee, when I hit pee on certain stuff. I'm like, I say his.
Speaker 1: Rap more than I do. I heard him a new project.
Speaker 4: He's crazy with. But then like I'm saying, like large pro tip Q tip for hey, Like I've been on songs with producers and I'm like, I like you, yeah, is incredible man. And the thing is like I can be giving all my MC ship, but it's somebody like Yay, I'm on the song with him and the crowd gonna say all his lyrics because they just producers know how to Yeah, they.
Speaker 6: They just and not over wrap ship.
Speaker 7: Sometimes that comes from making practice, you know, you know, making beats all the time and working with artists that.
Speaker 1: But you got to answer this question, like what what you get away from? Okay?
Speaker 6: But you know when I'm making beats, I'm trying to rap like them.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. I'm like to myself and I'm.
Speaker 7: Like, but Drake O kidmar you know, i'mna roll with the Gemini even though I love Drake. I'm gonna roll with Kendrick Team Kendrick all day and I'm on the pimple butterfly.
Speaker 3: Let me, let me, let me ask you, and this is off topic. Got one beat to make mm, God comes to you and say you're gonna live forever. Got one beat left to make? Wow, Yeah, this is the I ain't gonna. I'm gonna take a shot for you because I feel the wrong accident.
Speaker 1: One beat. Got a hip hop man, definitely, he's.
Speaker 3: A definitely hip hop but you got one and they're like he like pe you You're gonna live forever, but you got one beat to make.
Speaker 1: But it's on you to give it to who do you give you the last peat?
Speaker 4: That this is?
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: Let me take a shot, one last let me let me make it easier for you. Let me make it easier for you, dead or alive.
Speaker 8: You can.
Speaker 1: You could bring James Bound back. I'm gonna bring Biggie back. I knew you was gonna say that. I becave it. I made it too easy for you. I've made it too easy.
Speaker 6: I'm gonna bring you will be back.
Speaker 1: You know your last beat, if you could ever make it, would be for Biggie. Damn. I'm taking a shot because I was going to say, got a question from okay, if you.
Speaker 4: You the third host the drink, I'm gonna I'm gonna have to remove him in this because Okay, you probably if it's a beat that you would be.
Speaker 6: I'm bouncing off with you.
Speaker 4: Let's go the beat that you They said, this beat defined Pete rock and the beat that you will want to be remembered.
Speaker 6: My fine, it tells your.
Speaker 1: Who you are.
Speaker 3: Remove reminis, I gotta remove remember because I knew you was.
Speaker 1: The world is your damn. That's easy to you know. We gotta get it up. I got it on you. You. God comes to you and says, coming, we know you a lyric who genius.
Speaker 3: You want to fight with everybody, But the first left one worse. Not that people remember you by, but it just literally one worse. What artists would that be?
Speaker 6: What if I could do a verse?
Speaker 1: Have to pick one feature? And by the way, again helped him out that all lots too easy. It's too easy. Okay, I got a trick for.
Speaker 4: Your I got respectful pot. But I'm gonna go with nas Man is probably my favorite. See, I ain't even go, I ain't gotta New York.
Speaker 1: That's fire, you know. That's why I like that.
Speaker 6: If we removed, that's I'm gonna say.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, y'all need to do a joint album together. You and I people let me produce that we want to publishing. It's a little like we don't want to that other way in New York. If I'm not yeah, that would be a mean yo yo.
Speaker 4: Getting them beats from Pete, I'm like, yo, he said something, we're gonna play all this joint wise Yes, we play these beasts like they sound frash like. I'm like, yo, Pete, it's Thomas. But he it was one beat that we did. It's one of the first joints were released and called Wise Up and we're speaking of the bridge anyway.
Speaker 6: He was like, man, this is a New York beat. It's just a New York beat.
Speaker 4: And I couldn't help but think about, like y'all damn a Chicago MC over New York leak. It kind of took me to like what Q deal with with with the Bomb Squad. But but it don't sound like I can get that.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna get my perspective of Chicago, but it's over these New York, New York sound and soulful just beats hip hop.
Speaker 8: Listen to the joints I heard off the project than the rival everything that you guys did hear the classic materials?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 8: Like it's not.
Speaker 1: I'm not just bullshitting you. It is phenomenal. You don't listen to the new Figgas he is man, you got you guys do everything with the project we we.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yo, this project like is what I've been wanting to be on Drink Champs.
Speaker 6: But like I'm happy to come on.
Speaker 1: Drink Champs with a project like this. This is fine. Like this I was supposed to. Did they hear you know? You got you gotta hear I got you in the round.
Speaker 3: I want to be in the video video that come on around on your film. In the video I might pay for. It's a Kareem shooting. That's my man, him, Kareem and Draine.
Speaker 1: He's a dress respect give it up. No, you don't know where you're clapping, were going, but the work So this is all is all all all? What is it called? This is United Nations staff. Yes, but the haters of the NIXT say, yeah, you't know wy you was claiming you don't know what you said. But that's my family. That's what I said. And it's oh yeah we we we.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah yeah, yeah, yes, I got love for y'all Knicks fans. Yes, you're not only going but so fun.
Speaker 1: You know. Next, take this by the way, let me tell you what makes coming found. Literally the next seat across the seat. Man, literally, this is in the house. My got me coming, And he says, I like the truth, but I like to prove people wrong.
Speaker 3: For y'allah, I got got, we got it's for you too.
Speaker 1: I'm gut trying to get some.
Speaker 3: Smoking Aces or John Wick three oh, for both of us. This nigga movie.
Speaker 6: Okay, man, I'm a chance. Smoking Aces was hard?
Speaker 1: Man, that was hard.
Speaker 4: What the reason why I got to give it up for Smoking Aces? Because that was my first movie.
Speaker 1: So that was your first movie? You shot already gold? Because that's already gold? Yeah, you know yo?
Speaker 4: And and that was like that was the first time I you know, I mean, I've been auditioning for a lot, a lot I've been doing first movie.
Speaker 6: Man, thank you, bro.
Speaker 7: That was your first American gangster was though. But the only reaction you did was run when.
Speaker 1: The igot that part.
Speaker 4: Was like, yeah, man, I got I gotta go with smoking today. Let me tell you that was my first movie. It was the first time I got a call back Right before I got that audition, I went on another audition. They told me they told my agent man he green Man, and he he ain't ready. I was, I'm about to show them boys what it is. I got that call back. I remember flying for I was I was doing some music. I was performing in China. Came back, did the audition, got the role. I was about to be on tour with Kanye and Keisha Cole and I got the call like, man, Yo, We're giving you the movie. And I'm like wow, And then I had to go. I was geeked up, like I'm literally calling my mama, like, man, I'm in the movie. And I had to go five minutes later and I ain't gonna lie. I was tearing up because I was like, this was a I've been working on acting for all time, since my first time. I had to go to the next room. Kanye was standing in the hotel room next tell him I can't go on tour with him, and he was like, and I had already, we had already booked the tour. And he was like, and this one I knew he was my brother. He was like, Yo, if that's your dream, man, you gotta do it.
Speaker 1: You gotta do it.
Speaker 4: That's your dream. And I and I went did that some smoking naces man. That ship had Toagie had Alicia, they had Ryan rayleyda good Fellas Man. It had Justin Bateman from Ark. They had Chris prying to play fucking star track beg Yo, just before casts even became who they were.
Speaker 3: Just why I thought this had to be like your seventh movie, like you killed it, killed it so much when you just said that, just now, you fucking me up because I'm trying to think and.
Speaker 4: The first that was your first but limit that the only the only underlining that gym. I'm gonna say too. That was like the producer, I mean the director right, a director. He was playing Jay Diller on the set Wow at the time. Jay Diller was my roommate, and we was like he was going through a lot, like like healthwise, and man, he didn't know I knew Jay Diller. He know Jay Deler was my roommate. He just was playing deal on the set, playing and I was like, yo, I'm you know how certain things happened you like I'm in the right place. That's how I felt about smoking as. That's why would be that even though more niggas come to me about John Wick then then smoking asking as.
Speaker 1: It was dope to my favorite piece right here. Oh yeah, Guru or Big L, I'll go to you first.
Speaker 6: These are some funked up questions.
Speaker 4: I agree, I meant guy, rest in peace to both, but I ain't go front Guru. Maybe for me Guru just because I don't know he would get on these different topics ex. Girl the next girl, like street ministry. These are the words that are manifested. It was like a lot of different like thoughts in his stuff. And his voice was phenomenal, and you know, point blank we we we MC's benefit off the fact that we on dope beats like you know that just make you like we always know them about the voice like so he had the song on the voices, the voice mostly the voice. That's yeah, the voice and yoh. So I'm gonna go with Guru, but rest in peace to both of them. Big was the cold incredible.
Speaker 6: Super I'm gonna say both on that one because.
Speaker 4: You know, you know I worked with I'm gonna take it take a one both.
Speaker 1: Of the Big L.
Speaker 7: Yes, I worked with both, and you know Big L was like I went, I remember going to pick up. I had just bought a Honda Court brand new. This is early in my career, like I just was starting to get my bones, and so I went and picked him up in Harlem.
Speaker 6: I had two cassettes of beats right from our journey.
Speaker 7: When I put the tape in, he started to rhyme and never stopped until we came to the last stop. Wherever we were, we went, he went off. We drove to Brooklyn, we drove to Harlem, we drove to Mount Arning. He just wrapped the whole time. I lied to y'all nine, he's big. Yes, I'm playing beats. I got beats from Pete Rock. I got beat because that's.
Speaker 1: Full of I want to know what colored car was? Black black. I can see this. I can see it in there to car right there was hell and hip hop rims on the.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: That's why that's why he did the drive with me, because I had the system. Was crazy.
Speaker 9: Man, you got social media back then, yea, that footage that's crazy.
Speaker 4: Release joints like the rhymes that probably never came out, just like a m J.
Speaker 7: When we were practicing DJing in my basement, like it's on tape and I lost it lost, I lost the videotape or somebody stole it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Somebody stole up. He got that, somebody got you want this one too.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like we kind of well, no this, we'll do it together. Okay. I don't know how together this worked?
Speaker 3: Him or Caress one. Yeah, y'all went to the hardest one.
Speaker 1: That's that's that's what you see. I'm sitting I'm trying to.
Speaker 6: Man, Damn, It's like, come on, man, y'all, y'all see, I ain't.
Speaker 1: I ain't said both on neither. I ain't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I'm like you picking, you're trying to pick, trying.
Speaker 7: To picking already in your soul, bro like him and and and them.
Speaker 6: Two dudes is in you?
Speaker 1: And man?
Speaker 4: Fuck man, I'm gonna say, I'm going with Charres one, man going Cares one, and I'm just and and I'm going with Karres because it's like I grew up going to going to a church.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: It was unapologetically black, understandingly Christians, black churches of the church.
Speaker 6: It was called Trinity United Church of Christ.
Speaker 1: That was like the model.
Speaker 6: That's what we saw when we walked into it.
Speaker 4: Trinity unapologetically black.
Speaker 1: Don't follow the instagram. He let me down the old techne I look at the Instagram. I'm on church Sunday. I'm like nigga. You was you was the Dominican, Dominican, the whitest of the whitest church. But I only I only brought it up. I only brought it.
Speaker 4: But I only brought that up because care rest like, and why is that I learned? I learned books of the Bible from him, like or just the descendancy of Abraham. Abraham was the father of Isaac. Isaac was the father of Jacob. Jacob at twelve sons and for real, these were the children of Israel.
Speaker 1: Like all of it wasn't even rhyming.
Speaker 4: But I was singing that ship learning it and this was dope like, and you know, y'all got me right there, because them two are really let me say, rock him is the reason I'm rhyming too, like, but it's the only sick.
Speaker 1: Shot would take you. I'm gonna take a shot.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna I'm be you said both say that, both of them put a stronghold on New York City all together because taking shots, you have two different styles right shot shot.
Speaker 6: I'm taking shots on that.
Speaker 7: Let me let me yeah, two different yes, yes, rock Him with the painting full drug dealer ship, you know, fucking you know, just the New York dark streets and those rhymes was just so sick.
Speaker 1: And then you know.
Speaker 7: With KRS, it's just like rah rah, Like I went to a show at Union Square where Brooklyn went nut.
Speaker 1: He's like you.
Speaker 6: And the Bronx go at it in Union.
Speaker 3: Stay in unr Square. Yes, niggas throwing chess and bottles, you know what I'm saying. Like it was real like So that's that's that's New York style. That's New York style. So I can't pick between Caro.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna I'm gonna throw one for y'all. At least he ain't the same type of m cs. But these two ms less put it out there, Okay, grand Pool, Bay or Big Daddy?
Speaker 3: Can't you're asking me all of us? My eyebrows sucked up Pool. I wrote my first songs ever, Pool what what? Wait wait a minute, But that doesn't mean Rock Him gets a slight. No Big Daddy can know.
Speaker 6: But he said poop, I wrote.
Speaker 1: Something that's wild. I've been one one with the creator. He wrote, is this what what is this?
Speaker 9: Brand Nubian Poo Pooba, Tommy Hill figure po Malvern. I'm saying that when he's down with Brand Neubian, or after he was he was with as.
Speaker 7: A matter of fact, Jamal and Scott was in the basement when he made his claim for me to wrap. He's like, yo, I want you to wrap. I want you to say this to this beat that you just made the creator, Yes, what about the one shut him down?
Speaker 3: Anybody know I wrote all that everything after Pool reverse on st I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that. I'm a huge public enemy.
Speaker 6: That means a lot to me.
Speaker 1: I wrote that. I wrote it myself. Banana, I'm about to go so okay, I did we got it on you all right? Mm hmm. This is like a producer question too. Okay, the Chronic or doggy style?
Speaker 7: Oh, easily the Chronic because the Chronic inspired the doggy style.
Speaker 1: I love how you. I love how you answered that so professional. Yeah, chronic started. You definitely don't have the dog you style without that was That's easy. That was easy.
Speaker 6: It be a hard one, bro.
Speaker 1: You ever worked with Drake Yeah? Okay, yeah, he wrapped over my beat. Him. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, you go to YouTube just you know, type in Pete Rock, corrupt, doctor Dre Wow, you'll see joint A come up.
Speaker 1: Goddamn.
Speaker 8: Yes, I got one for you, Marley Ma or Primo and specifically on their style of making beats.
Speaker 1: Wow, no other you you got to go just on that. I have to give it up.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll say Mary for inspiration, but I have to really give my vote to DJ Premier. It's really funky with it, like he's just funky, like you could tell. We both are James Brown fans. But that's where we get it from. You, you know what I'm saying. And so when he his cadence, when he makes beats, he'll take the littlest sound, the littlest sound living Proof to be give you an example.
Speaker 1: Living Proof is just look what it did in New York's, which is what you liked about Marley with Marley.
Speaker 3: The same thing with the Bridge right, little they taking little samples, not even the bar, making it, make make it, make it, make it crazy, make it anthem anthem stuff you'll never forget.
Speaker 7: Brom So I'm I'm I'm an lean on Primo right.
Speaker 3: And I'll be honest with every producer. Almost every let me, I say every producer. Yeah, but the most.
Speaker 1: Frustrated I've ever been in studio is in a good way.
Speaker 3: In a good way, Premo will make a beat. I will write a whole rhyme to it, and they'll be like, I don't like it, and just he raced to me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, your motherfucker, I just troll that He'll do that like I ain't gonna lie, Like like I was a twenty eight year old man, I had anxiety then, like like I got anxiety now, like you know what I'm saying. But I remember like like being in D n D so you like a lot.
Speaker 3: I loved it, but it wasn't about He's the only producer I've ever worked with that. It wasn't about me liking the beat. It was about us liking it together. And if it wasn't that chemistry together, he just he just knocked it out, like that ship that we did on CNN Joint that was the twelfth record. He kept going like this, No, you're like what.
Speaker 1: I got? I got about twenty rhyms. But but that let me know he was a rip and he would not send us a beat this, but you know back then that wasn't that. But he was like you coming, and we went to D n D and I say it in the joint and up in D and D sleeping with the rats of the roaches because there was literally rats and ros a whole bunch of Dutch masters. That was the first studio. The first studio. They had a candy machine yep, that duches Dutch like you know, you know, like thank you, thank you for speaking.
Speaker 3: Norrie vented machines and they had fucking Philip Phillip blunts and duchess in the studio. Like if you can't make your record in D n D studios, you were you were tracked because that's just had a vibe you slipping Western over here was hit by.
Speaker 1: I missed I missed that, I missed a D n D studio. I missed the boy. Yeah. I think Jay did like like the.
Speaker 3: Something for his album and they we created D and D studios in the museum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, ya, don't got the roaches though.
Speaker 4: That was the.
Speaker 1: Feelings you wanted to You wanted to hurry up and and finish.
Speaker 3: Like green like it was rats, roaches, It was stick up cares from King King.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, your big rats and home a good rat.
Speaker 7: I'm doing heavy d ship, big old fat rat right across the fucking floor.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 1: I was like, that ship was big chunk, and you're talking about the chunk King seventy that was in China, the one in Chinatown. Guys. I remember that that ship, right, I remember that. We got a lot done in that. All right, biggie, you ain't taking the war. You know we got this.
Speaker 3: We got this, we got this. We know, we see, we see what you're trying to do. We know y'all your niggas with your karate class. Now I'm flipping on your ass. Twist all Tech nine.
Speaker 1: Oh that's easy.
Speaker 4: Twisted twist you yeah, shot down shot Town like Twister, Twist was Yo, he was y.
Speaker 1: Twist was Twister when he was telling Twister he was one Twister.
Speaker 6: He was the first. I gotta give it up. I gotta give respect Flowers.
Speaker 4: He was the first dude from Chicago to have a like a to be signed to a major, major job. He was signed to Loud Loud even though you know, I'm saying to have a national like we had late doing Loud.
Speaker 1: So like he was doing.
Speaker 6: Man, he did his thing and continue to do it.
Speaker 1: And he was in a Guinness Book of World Records. Went against really I didn't know. He went against the fastest rapid.
Speaker 6: Try called quests or the Woo Tank.
Speaker 1: You listen, we got you by the way. That's he's taking the more interview clan.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna go Woo Man and the wol like the wolves, Like I gotta let me acknowledge that being from Chicago when we saw Ice cubing them hold forty ounces and and just being like that was similar to our culture New York.
Speaker 1: I mean we I I'm from the South Side. Culture was very similar to the same culture.
Speaker 4: And it was a lot of things similar. You know, like a lot of our roots come from the South. If you check people from l A say, people from Louisiana, that's what we're from. Whereas y'all have like a whole lot like from Jamaica eighty but you know, from Mahamas from Puerto Rico, we didn't have that as much. So not being said, I related to n w A point blank and they was like dope, and I was like straight out of Comptown. The bitch is a bitch ice Cube, like I loved all that ship you didn't relate to and I said, I did, but I'm very curious. But when I heard Wu Tang, I was like, yo, I've never heard anything where it's nine mcsne love the right and.
Speaker 1: I love something.
Speaker 4: And each one is a superhero. If we would have had like the access we have now when Wu Tang came out. And by the way, they got a TV show about them on Hulu, so that is already.
Speaker 1: But what they did when I.
Speaker 6: Heard Protect your Neck, Yeah, it's all crazy.
Speaker 1: The Wu Tang man is.
Speaker 4: I mean, they untouchable in certain ways to me, like because I have that many mcs, and then you can see the growth and like from when you hear protect your Neck and you hear ray and ghosts and then you hit them on only built for Cuban Link, it's a whole other level and you can hear that growth. But then you got the genius who was always on that old dirty bass is one of the most soul for rappers you ever ever. So I'm talking about like I don't know about you knowing, but for me, sometimes I can get in the booth and I stopped trying to wrap the thing the same way I did it before rapping. Rapping, I'll be hearing takes the o dB doing that ship different.
Speaker 6: And that ship is soul.
Speaker 1: And and and o dB was a person like I wrote records for o dB. You did make a goal. Listen what Dave had you do it? I don't think most of them never really wanted to really, So that's right, that's right, because you like somebodody you met, Yeah, because he was cocky. I love he trying to take over the interview. What's going on? Here's the funny ship. And it's a great question because if you listen to Super Dog, if you listen to in the end of Super Dog, I go in r E Norri the remix super Doug was the remix to n O R E my song the single My album was already done handed in Oh wow, and this is this young man. It was a dude by the name Rob Walker. I know mar Moore, let me pick up. Martin was like, yo, who's on the album? Who's on the ro radio skit?
Speaker 6: That's the first yeah, yeah, saying radio like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, my manager to what really was my in? So he hits me and listen, you have to meet this group called the Neptunes. I'm like that ship sounds amazing. Neptunes. We meet that sound on sound studios. I have on five X pants, Wow, five X shirt for sure. This is a big cloth, big clothes. My hat had to be big too as well.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I gave it somewhere and in comes these two guys exact opposite. This shirt is very tight. He has a choke go on, making the thing show a little bit.
Speaker 1: Sure, you're not exaggerating. He was that tight you already.
Speaker 3: He wanted to be the exact opposite of what was going on, but delivered music of what.
Speaker 1: Was going on.
Speaker 3: He and he, ha's when I tell this story, because you know, he's humble now now that he's fucking head of Louis fucking Baton, he's humble now.
Speaker 1: But let me just tell you something. He wasn't then, okay, And he looked at me.
Speaker 3: Because he had I don't want to say I've ever been the first person that worked before, because that's not the truth. Work for Neptune. Excuse me, that's not the truth. They had worked with what what what told no one, No one put them actually on the record, and no one put them in the forefront. And he looked at me and he said, he's a he's when I say this story, but I'm gonna say it again. He goes, no one's listened to me, but the first person that listened to me is gonna go number one.
Speaker 1: And I was, I don't know why I did that. That's how in my mind.
Speaker 3: Just let me roll with the story. And I was like, I believe, I just believed him. It was like he was the exact opposite of me. For the lack of a better term, was I always describe it as this, and it gets a little weird, but I call the beauty and the beast.
Speaker 1: They had nothing like we have nothing else in common. Just music. Like that's what I gotta be sometimes, I gotta be sometimes like I remember, like me and me and me, and for ever been in the studio for at least, you know, ten years. Me let me not just safe.
Speaker 3: I don't ever remember us ordering the same food. I don't ever remember us order doing anything other than music.
Speaker 1: But that's what's so dope, that's what's so double about music. Music.
Speaker 4: Because I've been around so many people that I'll be like, man, I would.
Speaker 7: Have sometimes music, deperate and keep it still respectable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's a common ground, common ground like pun intended move on, Okay, yeah mo O P or mob Deep. And I'm doing that to you because I know you're gonna drink. Let me get my show.
Speaker 6: Damn you got to.
Speaker 3: You're talking about to ill producers, Havoc and Premier.
Speaker 1: Those are two monster duos out there, sucked up niggas. That's it's double right there, your friends.
Speaker 6: Wow, I love m O P.
Speaker 7: I don't get it sucked up, but it's something about man like it's Havoc. The way he made ones is amazing, like that, I know the sample.
Speaker 6: I listened to the record. You would never know hear.
Speaker 1: The sample.
Speaker 6: You want hear the familiarity unless you slow it all.
Speaker 4: Then he told me that was that's a jazz.
Speaker 6: That's where the liquor in Havoc. It's a it's a fucking tool.
Speaker 1: He did that. It's the same with Survival of the Fittest. Survival of the Fittest.
Speaker 7: You don't know where that sample comes from unless he tells you, or unless fire.
Speaker 1: I was listening.
Speaker 6: He told me, he told me what he used. I had the record. I had the record but I didn't hear nothing oning it, so I'm listening to it.
Speaker 1: And then when he told me, I slowed it down, said.
Speaker 6: Crazy havoc is nil.
Speaker 1: You picked, but I'm still taking a shot. He didn't. He just gave.
Speaker 4: He picked deep now mob Deep like Mob Deep when I heard the infamous, but I was.
Speaker 1: Like, you had juvenile hell. Yeah, I heard, which is crazy that you were able to come back from.
Speaker 6: That juvenile hell. Didn't the movie like that.
Speaker 3: First joint they had to learn and listen first, and then they were literally juveniles trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: They was they was doing it.
Speaker 6: But I remember hearing Shook Ones.
Speaker 4: I was in New York, like, staying at somebody house that worked in my label, just trying to make a living, and I heard Shook Ones.
Speaker 6: I said, man, this ship is.
Speaker 3: I was like, you sure the sample comes from here because it's it's fast. It's fast, jazz fast loop.
Speaker 1: It's like that's all it did. And then he just and then then you get.
Speaker 6: Man and that ship. That's the dopest hip hop songs ever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the game and then like you said, Survival of the Finish, I promise you I was listening to that before. When I came here today, I was listening to Survival of the Fittish. But you know when Bignoyd here, Big Nooyd on their joints, like and like hearing even Tip to flip that what he did that album the infamous, Like when you Yo Tip told me he ended up mixing that album or whatever. And I feel like what Havo and Prodigy brought as talents and then Q Tip's experience of what the sonic we need to sound like the album just changed anything. It was like that was one that's one of my favorite albums. And I'm definitely taking a shot to that because you're gonna be like that ain't the sample and then weak we're taking a shot. We're gonna take a shot. I'm taking a shot from Mob Deep God bless so protest shout out to I'm gonna play pop.
Speaker 1: I missed Yo Yo.
Speaker 4: A little side note is fucking the bitching you. The only time I went to the only time I went to Queen's Bridge. I went to meet up with Havoc and he was going to do a remix to the Bitches, and he actually did a remix, not he was going on remix going a c Yes, we did a remix and he was on a course.
Speaker 1: You know, it's all he wanted. He just he just was like he was.
Speaker 4: You know, the niggas like yo. These niggas just in the West Coast, they like so they were like, yo, you said what we well, we feel.
Speaker 3: Into but you have some stuff going on, which is h l A l A toold.
Speaker 1: But yes, sir. When I heard that, Jorge was okay, let me let you finish.
Speaker 6: I went to the Queen's Bridge. The niggas took me around.
Speaker 4: I was with one of the twins and twins and we was we went to power play and then I remember just sitting there and talking with them niggas. I was.
Speaker 1: I remember I was reading.
Speaker 4: It was like, man, you're doing some ship Producty'll do And I was trying to get in my zone. And then I Havoc made this beat and I was like yo, and he's like, you know, I'm gonna say the hook with you and I see the bitch in you and always wondering where that ship is.
Speaker 1: We did that. I'm gonna ask him about it.
Speaker 6: We did that last time.
Speaker 1: Immediately, I want to do wherever you at, whoever got open out from real right now.
Speaker 4: He did that Queen's Bridge experience. I felt good too, but I was like, damn, Mom took me through. You know, it's like that, like what you said about Cabrinie Green, certain people like from that area took you through that.
Speaker 6: Molly and master A took me through Queensbridge.
Speaker 1: And you know what this crazy thing is. I heard with Marty Maul.
Speaker 3: He got on this show and he told us that he recorded rock Kim's whole album queens Bridge, and I was just like the fun he said this, He said in the same team, you're seeing that right now and he said yeah, man, I was just like wow that it is amazing, like he recorded.
Speaker 6: I got a question from for all of y'all just all.
Speaker 1: Like taking on show. Peep in this we know we see we can see.
Speaker 4: One of my hip hop comrades that I work with a lot.
Speaker 1: So yes, we got the Master's best Soul of Dave and is actually on our our.
Speaker 4: I didn't bring it up for that reason, but one of them told me that that Sham wrote that exploded.
Speaker 1: Is that true? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Look, but did.
Speaker 4: Sham right any of rock Kim's first choice? Like somebody told me that sham you You're starting to funk up room.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you hit things. Yeah, I just want to know I ship somebody sitting on me.
Speaker 4: Not now you know it probably ain't true, you know, but but it was like, yeah, he wrote some of the early like my melody or something, but then it don't sound like shame.
Speaker 1: I can't hear that. I can't hear that. I just can't see no anybody writing to bring it up because because I don't think so.
Speaker 6: When they brought it up to me and it was coming from official niggas.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I think Shane would have sent it on drinking, would have brew it up. Always you got the bottle ship your life is not right. It's true. He really do. He really goes and he goes at everybody does not give some of the ship. He says. It's kind of truth true, Like man, I'm in, yes, I'm he's not wearing his teeth. I like that shampoo, yeah, drinking shampoople. What is it called? What do you call it? Sham piper? What does it?
Speaker 6: We're gonna call it sham people.
Speaker 1: With the sizzle with the whizzle. By the way, let me tell you something. We interviewed MC sharing this motherfucker went over there. I even know that existed. I was like, holy ship, we got a part of them with it. And he went over there.
Speaker 4: So episode I salute y'all team. She she is more more intensive than.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 1: Know what's crazy. I'm I'm gotching a flight to see to see you. I'm like, this nigger commonist is here at the game.
Speaker 3: I have no excuse. So I pushed my flight up. Yeah, that's how I got. I was like, yeah, I really didn't want you to be.
Speaker 1: Yesterday. I don't want no artists to beat me here. So I was like you, I was, I was so mad at you.
Speaker 3: I was like, he came early to beat rockets on the flight with me. I was like, I gotta beat him. And the plane there was no nor insight.
Speaker 1: You know how you can still see if my people walking down.
Speaker 3: So he was calling a complex now that I'm I'm still an artist. I'm gonna be artist for the rest of my life, but I have a complex where I want you to I want my team to salute you when you walk in, and I want I want I want you to feel great.
Speaker 1: And I was running here and they said comment there. I was like, was like telling them we're not open. Yo, Yo, I ain't gonna yesterday.
Speaker 4: There was you know, they was like, yo, we got we got to schedule for this. Were at the game.
Speaker 1: We're gonna tell the New York because you're not allowed no more. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I was yo when they told me, they was like, yo, they want to move the time back. And and then there was I was like, because Chris shout out to Chris atleast one.
Speaker 1: Chris Chris Chris Christie thing like Yo, they want to move the time back. Boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: I was like, okay, cool, and that might mean I might get on the later flight. And then I was like, I got to do I was supposed to do a sound checking blah blah blah, going the show. And then I said, well Ship, damn, how we gonna do this? And then they said, okay, they really want to move the time back because nor at the next day, I was like, yeah, we gotta go to the yah.
Speaker 3: Listen, oh Ship, I know we spoke about it earlier, but that euphoria, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and then they have but I know he spoke talking about right then they had Mark Jack the trail spreeing Patrick and John stepped to me too, he said, and at the foul line, like Pat, you know I said that back in the day.
Speaker 4: Looks that's yo.
Speaker 3: And by the way, like I'm still like humble, humble person of course. So Fat Joe sees Spike, Lee and Joe and they started talking and I'm just like, let me mind my business.
Speaker 1: You just let me just be a little humble.
Speaker 3: Fat Joe was offering me drinks this you know, you know it's bad. I don't want to even drink. I just want to be on my best biek or whatever it's Spike legos and then Fat goes cool, Let's take a picture, Spike, Spike goes norm getting a fucking picture, a.
Speaker 1: Fucking awesome time, y'all bro going like, I'm thinking about the first record we made and that was nineteen ninety eight.
Speaker 3: Ninety eight, that's the best year of my Life's so yeah, both of y'all know, you know it's the best year of my life. I'm also worst year of my life because of incidents I lost I think we lost pun that yeah, and I lost my fall, God bless you.
Speaker 1: But I had the illest success.
Speaker 3: I had the most you know, you know what I mean, and when I'm looking at that, if you know, you know, you know he's crazy. He has all of your album He's just I thought I was just talking and I'm looking and I'm like wow. And then and then yesterday I get to see you. You're literally like the very seat that it's across from. Then and then I see you in the airport.
Speaker 1: And I was like, god, it is really.
Speaker 3: Like it's meant to be like this is not this is and and like like again, I know I said it earlier, but I'm gonna reiterated before we finished Quick Time Slim, but I'm so happy that this but I'm really so happy one that your brothers are together, brothers. Neither one of y'all forgot about hip hop. And like I said, every time I see y'all, I know that y'all represented hip hop, and I just want to I just want to thank y'all one more time before we finished.
Speaker 1: I want to pay because.
Speaker 7: They really have platform for allowing us to be seen and heard, to really show people that like we're still ow here.
Speaker 6: The talent and.
Speaker 4: Y'all been doing you know, y'all do this and it's and it's important man, like like that people that then know the culture and know hip hop and come from it, like y'all reaching people that there's some people that didn't know the culture.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: There's people that like y'all introducing people. But because y'all like gonna bring Marley Marl and mc shan on, somebody is gonna know that or Patty LaBelle or you know, like like whomever, like like, I mean, we know these some of the people, but some we don't. But because y'all know it the way you know it, it's like really supposed to like who we are.
Speaker 3: So to think that we don't watch Yes, no, well thank you, because I see I see these answers and these even more August.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think you got to ask.
Speaker 8: This which oh yeah, yeah yeah, ice Cuber, Scarface, I'm.
Speaker 4: Gonna ask the first, but I'm gonna tell you I already know who I'm gonna say, Scarface, OK for me, I'm going ice Cube.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: The fact that ice Cube I don't know, man, he's the ice Cube America's most wanted death certificate. I can't forget that bird, his hand killing, the fact that he wrote, he one thing he did Little Jim he told me, I hope he shared it with everybody else. But but that song, well, easy was like, uh, little girls and boys, they all love me. He wrote that for Easy gangst Fairy, he said, little girls and boys they all love me.
Speaker 6: Co sit on a lot of Easy, but he changed it to ice and made it his song.
Speaker 4: The fact that he could write songs for other people and they feel like they songs. But then he write his own ship and it was like ship. We had never heard, like I used to love a bitch as a bitch. And people probably won't think that because you know, sometimes y'all be like if I'm in this conscious figga that only do it like I'm so so that being said, it's like I don't know I'm gonna go with Cube much respect to Scott Face, and I love it, but I feel like.
Speaker 6: I'm I'm an MC.
Speaker 4: So I be feeling like I be looking sometimes when I hear influence, and I think at some point Scott Face is influenced by Ice Cube and and I just Scott Face is amazing. It's just and soulful ship. But Ice Cuba is like, man, he did some legend there.
Speaker 1: Ship.
Speaker 4: This is like straight out of company a lot of that ship history history, definitely history.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, you said scarface scarface, and I say scarface because you know, after speaking to him and getting to be his friend and ship like.
Speaker 6: That, it's like faces deep. Yeah, he's funny, he's you know.
Speaker 1: The Block is one of my favorite joints. And Hours album. Yeah, the albums, The Face with album Love. That album was crazy. Who did that be know Block?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kanye or the Rism?
Speaker 1: I think it was.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was Yeah, Kanye or the Rism.
Speaker 1: He's taking over the got you you asking me? All right? So all right with Crateria, you can't get about beats. I'm ill tell you this, damn that's all.
Speaker 3: I have worked with the Risen before, and I've worked with Ye. I've never worked with Ye as a producer, but Yay scared the ship out of me.
Speaker 1: One day I'm in.
Speaker 3: Carbon, I wrote a whole rhyme in carbon. By the way, I am a resource from special education child, so I write in graffiti, even type type in graff. No one could read my my my my wife can't read it. My wife can't read it because you're a Gemini. But no, no, no, I say, my wife can't read it. She's never tried. My wife never looked at my phone for a rhyme. You know what I'm saying, like it, but no one could read my rhymes, like like, I've never met somebody that can read my rhyme. Kanye not only read my rhyme, he read it how I wrote it, like the flow that you meant. He looked at my phone. And by the way, who the where's miss Diego? Who was it with Jeff what's his name? Jared Kushner? This is the fucking president's.
Speaker 1: Son in law, son in law at the time, where the presidents at the time.
Speaker 3: At the time, And I'm writing around and he's he's watching me write the rhyme like you know how sometimes like I'm an MC so I just couldn't.
Speaker 1: I couldn't turn it off. And I put the phone down and looked at my phone and he, Yo, he knew he spin it how I wrote it. Even if you could write it, I don't know that man, Jesus.
Speaker 4: That man.
Speaker 1: He was like Kanye different man. And I looked and I was like mostly Hawaiian.
Speaker 6: So some things with him like just threw me.
Speaker 1: Back, Like he's a genius. You can't take away from.
Speaker 6: But I don't use that word that much. He's a genius people.
Speaker 8: People get mad when you call and for what he does and how he does it, he's a genius.
Speaker 1: He's a musical genius. Yes, yes, wants simple as that going around.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get out of quick time of slime. Let's yeah this for you again. Okay, Biggie a big punt. I love them both, but I'll go with bigg This is awesome for you. Bulls are the knicks, you know. Come on, I'll say to this comment right now, comment, we know.
Speaker 6: You're I'm going with the bulls. Let's remember that we shut y'all down.
Speaker 1: You remember we do. Remember we do, y'all. You don't have to remind us. We don't remember. I need to remind you the bulls. Did you understand that yesterday we said fuck you Reggie and he wasn't even in the buildings coming exactly. Y'all have heard that her United Center.
Speaker 4: But it's amazing to see that what Mike did to y'all. Just think about what Mike.
Speaker 1: Think about Think like his leg it's not working, Think about this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, no, Patrick Ewing, Charles Barkley, calm alone. Greats never got a ring. Gary Payton because of him. Jane Man Chicago. We bred that man. We got Oprah, y'all named it. Let me go down the list of people we got. We we bred, We cultivated Oprah to be who she was.
Speaker 6: God bless her. We ain't get I love, I love, I love, give up.
Speaker 4: But but but look we Mike, we cultivated him President Obama, obviously, Michelle Obama from the man that's in the middle, I'm talking about car Minnie rippertsent Kelly.
Speaker 1: We did somewhere. We gotta give it up for a jay. You know.
Speaker 4: We go to the New School of Little Dirts and her little her broke up. Givego, we got our ship, got it go, give.
Speaker 1: It up to chief keeping the herb homies keep clips.
Speaker 4: E p m D.
Speaker 6: I'm going e p m D. Man them dudes, like, come on, man, they did.
Speaker 1: You said, clown cli that's kind of odd.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, listening like e p m D.
Speaker 4: Come on, man, them four albums like James three.
Speaker 6: They did three segments.
Speaker 7: And you can't pair teachers with youngins. Tell them nigs over there, teachers with young that that's that's.
Speaker 1: And the birth of the hit squad out of E p m D by itself with that and.
Speaker 4: Just the albums like think about E p m D. Got strictly business. Yeah, I'm finished.
Speaker 6: Unfinished business active business like across so all that ship that was good?
Speaker 2: Cross like, yeah, bang up, Crazy, just Blaze or DJ Mustard? No, okay, who you asking you?
Speaker 1: Just place?
Speaker 7: I know Mustard has a track record of all the new new things that's going on, and he's had his hits. But I'm gonna go with you know, because I'm gonna go with what I know, right, I respect, I know the dude.
Speaker 1: So that's what's up. Mm hmm. You ain't even gonna answer that crazy. I'm gonna change this one up, okay.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: They we use. He's trying to pick a difficult one, that one. I'm a virgo September six, okay, Nas or Biggie. That's that's one of the hardest picks for me. Let me change it up there, No, no, no, no, I like, I like, I'm gonna say, well, if you like to break it down like I like, I'm gonna go with NAS. And you've been studying with us with study with delegation is a real nick.
Speaker 6: Let me say this though about Biggie. I think Biggie is to me.
Speaker 4: You know, you hear the word consonant, He's a consonment MC because he's one of the MC's that I feel like had the some of the dopest lyrics like Simile's metaphors.
Speaker 6: His voice is like a voice.
Speaker 4: Is a gift that God only can get, Like Luther Van got a voice, like Whitney Houston, Aretha Franklin Man, Minnie Riffertson. It's a voice. Biggie had a voice. Nas got a voice. They both they both got like some mcs. I'm like, they don't but they ain't got a voice. That's a gift.
Speaker 1: But Biggies was unique.
Speaker 6: Biggies was big Mary.
Speaker 4: But NASA's unique to that little grasping this things like incredible. Biggie also is incredible with the stories. And one thing that I even though I picked NAS, one thing I would say Biggie had over a lot of them, sees is he knew how to ride over those commercial beats.
Speaker 1: Yeah and still keep it, keep it and keep a gangster. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you take hypnotize and you put that shirt on a different beat, you like he was coming by nasty girls.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. He so, I got one more chance.
Speaker 4: I got a theory that the dudes, the guys you're making descent, they ride the rhythms the best buster.
Speaker 1: That's real, that's true. I'm glad. I'm telling you. I got a little theory. I'll be studying.
Speaker 4: This would be like the way they ride the robust because the greatest.
Speaker 1: Great because you reggae things of dance music. But the reg artists be saying some hard.
Speaker 6: On that rhythm and it all starts well. I mean, you know, talking about reggae music.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 7: Roy was like the reggae artist rap chat in Jamaican. You know, when it comes to the Jamaican world full of Jamaicans.
Speaker 1: Roy was that guy. He said, big up, Yeah, you get the Jamaican master going creat Yeah, you're right. I'm glad you're here. He knows about you. We ain't gonna hear the rest of this year. Ask him. We're gonna be boxing Tomorrow's gonna be like you about it? Rock Ye the boy Yes, yard Man who was the state side recently to yo, who you know? He who you got back in the America? He got back here man? Oh yeah, I want to I want to shine, I want to welcome back.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. Okay, radio or podcast radio Premiere.
Speaker 4: Or Doctor Dre Premiere for me, okay, yeah, sixth Sense and Premier is just you know, that's my taste more. I love the Doctor Dre Kronick and all that stuff, but Premiere, man, it ain't nothing like some of them joints that that the gang style did, like them gang Style like when I when I be hearing step into the Arena.
Speaker 1: And like.
Speaker 4: The Wick Manifested, like Witch and like some of them joints. Is just like I'm like, man, this ship is incredible. That's why them dudes is like for me, Pete Rock and I know they always get classified together.
Speaker 6: Pete Rock got his own sound, Premier got.
Speaker 1: His own difference.
Speaker 4: But it's just like two greats where you when we like talk about like I listen to jazz some Miles Davis and John Coltrane and two of my favorites, but you know, but they don't sound alike, but they still got their own sound. And you know it's I listen to them both, and that's what to me with Pete Rock and who Pete Rock is. And then Premiere. So dre Is drey is like incredible producer, he got the sounds. But I'm going with primo.
Speaker 1: I respect that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, acting or rapping, yeah, man, I'm going rapping. Man, happened you right back when you saw it, because it's like, you know, you know you ever been with.
Speaker 6: Well, y'all married, some of y'all married.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm married. You have been like we know you've been outside you respect you know you should have been called got literally yes, yeah yeah.
Speaker 4: For me, I feel like rapping I was about I brought up a woman because I was like, you know how you like be like, man, I'm about to go out and do, but you always come back home.
Speaker 1: Home. Ain't nothing like home.
Speaker 4: And you know I ain't saying like niggas do go out do we married niggas and were staying focused. But but but the point is, like, no matter what I do, hip hop is always a base. It's always the base. I feel like God gave me that understand who I am and like to express who I am and to be able to touchdown with certain people.
Speaker 1: So acting is.
Speaker 4: Something I love it like I love I ain't gonna lie. I love it like I love music. I ain't at the level that I you know, like, even though some people come to me. I used to love when people come to me and be like, man, I like you better as an actor than a rap.
Speaker 1: Okay cool, But I can about podcasting. I don't know if I like it or not.
Speaker 4: I'm like, show how diverset you out? Like for you to go into another and dominate and be great at it. That's crazy, That's what that's That's how so for me. I love acting, but I ain't gonna lie. Rapping is like like, man, I ain't gonna lie. Coming to be able to work with Pete was like.
Speaker 6: Man, this is some of the that's like, I was something I always wanted to do.
Speaker 1: I've been mating to work with.
Speaker 4: I was peating, like yo, when he sent beats m hm, like when he is saying he is sending beats. It's just one little snippets.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: That's the joy I felt when I first was like, it's only certain producers that have been able to do that.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 4: It's only j De Love, Pete Rock and maybe Kanye Wow that that's been able to be Like I get a beat and I'm like, oh man, my world is and it can't nothing messed with my world at this point unless it's something with my family going on or something, you know. But anyway, when Pete send them beats, so I'm gonna go with rapping, man, I was rapping, rapping rap, Yeah right.
Speaker 1: I was rap, peak producing or peak rapping.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: That's a hard I mean, that's not hard, like he is saying. First, I didn't care about rapping. I care about the music, So I don't care what you say.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's it's Pete producing like this dude is one of the greatest producers.
Speaker 6: Like, it ain't a top shot. Hey, we started we started off.
Speaker 1: We're not saying that likely, folks, We're not saying say that.
Speaker 6: And I was saying no, I was like, you know, not just the hip hop man.
Speaker 4: We gotta we gotta recognize what hip hop producers have done to music. Like we honor like and we should honor Jimmy Jame and Terry Lewis, we should honor.
Speaker 6: Like the like the Mally's White and people.
Speaker 4: But Pete Rockets is like for a genre, he created and helped elevate the whole genre and the music transcended beyond that.
Speaker 1: Other genres of a copy what hip hop producers doing point blak.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's only I say it's really inspiration. Like I know copy is the word that people use, but saying it's really reinvented me inspiring people to just want to do the same thing.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, that's that's the humble.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But his raps is cold but Yeah Heavy D or Chuck Rock heavy D. I love Chuck oh Man, heavy D Man for me, I mean, I ain't gonna lie. Part of it might be special ad to me with to M season did this intricate thing that I was like, oh she was cold but heavy D. After just learning Buddy, He's done, Heavy D met the man met the man of Buster.
Speaker 8: Man hell Coul Big Daddy came either well hello, he was like the was he did he come before bid?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sixteen years old.
Speaker 7: So I was on to LL on his first album, Tha bet you know the whole first album, Can't Live Without My Radio all that, Like that was like the only hip hop I knew when I heard L cool J. Then they did the crush grooving movie Body Moving.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. LLL was was was was in it. He was in it. And then I'm bad.
Speaker 6: Was like like, oh ship, well, yeah, I'm going with l L.
Speaker 1: Because l L.
Speaker 4: I ain't gonna lie. L L was one of them dudes. I was like, he did it on the on the lyrical side. If you listen to a lot of stuff to the breaking down I love and I breaking on breaking down, he'd be like, peepe rock this stuff in the studio.
Speaker 1: I love us.
Speaker 6: But but he but people.
Speaker 4: But l L was like he could do a lot of different stuff too, because Mama said, knock you out like one nine hundred not all my favorite.
Speaker 6: I don't put don't I don't go go go. That ship is cold and I tell you it is a big ce.
Speaker 1: Nomin nate L Man.
Speaker 6: I love and I love that snapping.
Speaker 8: Yeah, how young he started in his career to this now doing radio, Like it's.
Speaker 6: Crazy everything that he has a radio station.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say, yeah, Cuba black Dog, Yeah, come on, come on, let's.
Speaker 9: Let's hear you black better m c in that situation back, okay, man, you need to stop.
Speaker 1: Or digital and.
Speaker 6: I'm going and a log all day.
Speaker 1: I just feel like you're going about to stay digital just to be different.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 8: I always said that a lot I couldn't even I couldn't transfer over to digital DJ digital.
Speaker 1: Gotta see yeah, go to the next one. I don't want to exit this one. To me, neither Menace, oh yeah, Mess Society or Juice. Oh that one will be good after that one. Because I was on the set of men really, I thought you would say Juice right now now.
Speaker 7: We watched the very last shooting scenes and then after they wrapped up, we partied at Universal Studios lel and all the actors and actresses that way in the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeh, So how did you get there? I don't see.
Speaker 7: I had the country are on the soundtrack. We did a song on the soundtrack that becomes You that you.
Speaker 4: Snap yeah yeah, And I wrote that myself, that ship you snapped on that ship.
Speaker 6: So yo, I'm going with minutes. I watched Minace.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna is right.
Speaker 6: I'm going I'm going minute too.
Speaker 4: Y'all know, y'all didn't like really ask me, but I'm going minute. I saw that ship like I ain't gonna lie. I saw that ship like like eight times at the movie theater, maybe nine. That's the one I liked the movie like that. I was going to see that ship going to see that ship. Minister Society was crazy. It was Juice was does Minister Society was on another lefl and I got a.
Speaker 6: Shout out in Juice Tank and I got the shout out.
Speaker 1: Nigga said my.
Speaker 8: Name in that in the DJ scene right, yeah, yes to me, it's Juice in that sense as a DJ, it was a big difference for me as a DJE, Like.
Speaker 6: I was like, oh, I want I should have said I should have said Juice.
Speaker 1: But both great movies. Take a shot for that, you know what I'm saying, Take a good shot. Man went to jail for Juice.
Speaker 3: They're all great movies, though, both of my name, you know, shout out to TV rapps mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Rap City.
Speaker 4: I'm going your own TV raps man, Like, my goal is to be on your own TV raps like their Lover and then and Doctor Dreda and then and then five five Freddy when they came to Chicago and d you on TV raps that she was like monument.
Speaker 6: I changed my answer. You can take a shot for it, Okay, you on TV raps.
Speaker 1: You don't TV rap.
Speaker 6: I remember remember when.
Speaker 1: He came to my house.
Speaker 8: So I'm and that's DJ. Yeah, there was no basement to my Fat Fire Freddy film. But your TV raps was growing.
Speaker 4: That was that everyone man, like I remember even they did, like I can remember from your own TV raps when people would say different Ada limbs. So your own tv raps that changed the hip hop be honest. Yeah before its rap city. Yeah, you were right about that.
Speaker 1: So let's go n PC three thousand or m PC two deaths. Excel Excel, Come on, man, excel. That's what I made this album with.
Speaker 3: Wo to the whole album with Common is the NPC two thousand excels.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so the last question for quick time of Slim Nigga get to the regular interview. Yeah, lower you all respect?
Speaker 6: Oh what's on you with?
Speaker 1: Not everybody loyal? Not everybody's loyal.
Speaker 6: So says okay, wow, okay, Wow, I'll say respect. I'm definitely going respect man, but I'll be man.
Speaker 4: I'll be listening to this is pastor you know, this is pasting name Miles Monroe, and he like he was from the Bahamas, and he spoke a lot about spirituality and on a higher level, not just like but he was talking about the one thing that men we need naturally is respect from a woman like like respect for feraro from a woman in respect like more than a lot of other ship if a woman respect your your.
Speaker 6: Being and who you are and what you say, like and we we want that as people.
Speaker 4: Just respect like because you know, lord, everybody can fall off at some point, like you know, like because of their own it ship.
Speaker 6: But respect is like I might be going through some ship.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna still give you respect that you deserve and and then I'm gonna have to go work on my ship.
Speaker 6: But you know, but that's why I say respect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I said respect.
Speaker 7: I said respect because you know, as a human being and as a man, you know, it feels better to be respected.
Speaker 1: You feel me.
Speaker 6: Loyalty don't last. You ever been through that. I know you've been through that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So I'm gonna run with respect because you know, there's loyal people and then there's not.
Speaker 1: Gotta always weigh the options. But don't you want both? Yeah? I wouldn't want both, but you can't happen in the quick time of slime. This is the thing that we find funny.
Speaker 9: Only time people say both or neither or whatever, But when it comes to live to respect, they never want to say.
Speaker 1: Both, I would say, I want to say you got your shot, relax. I mean both.
Speaker 6: It's good to have there too. Yes, But I always think of you know, I always weigh it out.
Speaker 1: We're what do we want? But what we want is both. But how the world works, it's different.
Speaker 4: But even to me, like, I feel like I can understand when sometimes when some people like don't ain't as loyal, like that ain't.
Speaker 1: The way I said.
Speaker 4: I can understand sometimes when people like just like not that. I'm like, I'm around a lot of unloyal people, but I'm just like everybody have faults. But respect is something that's like I can naturally give to any human being.
Speaker 1: A stranger. It's a stranger, and I get respect.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think to me, respect for me is like something that when you give it to a human being, it just make the world better. Loyalty sometimes it's an expectation. What if somebody ain't loyal to you and you like, okay, this first ain't loyal to you, Do you turn on them? Do you be like boom boom boom, that meaning you don't have to. So I'm saying like, loyalty is something that you expected from that person. But respect is something that you're demanded from another person that you like, Okay, yo, this is what I just want as a human being, And it's like taking. I mean, you could want loyalty as a human being too and say like I deserve this, but I understand. For me, I understand when certain people don't have the loyalty at certain times.
Speaker 6: And and you know, it's just my thought. That's just the things that I've experienced.
Speaker 1: I don't and I think I think I gotta take it. I don't. I wanted both.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'm like naive, maybe I'm stupid, Like you know what I'm saying, Like I actually demand both because I present both.
Speaker 4: It's the right thing to do, you know what I'm saying both, like like let me move on. Okay, no, but no, but I like that. I like what you're saying, and that's why we should demand that from I like that.
Speaker 3: Should be stand there both like we're kings. We're doing some fucking phenomenal ship. We we're helping other people, whether they know it or not or And DMX sat in that same seat and d MX said, he never this is a rack rack rapper anymore, because that one rack rapper is feeding sixteen families. And when he said that, I was like, holy shit, I don't want to this nobody no more like I want to like help but also demand a little bit demand.
Speaker 1: Like ain't all phenomenal? Ye, ain't none a phenomenal? And I just the man some phenomenal. Yeah, you should be in it.
Speaker 3: And for me just just it's all simple little things I'm asking for. It's just be loyal to me. Would be loyal to you much and expect me and I'm gonna respect you. I would love folk simple. It's actually not even one.
Speaker 1: I would love both.
Speaker 6: I love both.
Speaker 1: It's not it's not, but I'm it can't be reality.
Speaker 4: Like I feel like where we're at right now, we are like it's a lot of loyal see and respect. It's both both, like we like even in every element, I feel the loyalty in respect, But I also get room for somebody that like, they might not feel as loyal because sometimes people have been through certain ship and they might not have trust and they just got trust issues and they like, I can't be loyal to you until you show them certain things. So like for me, loyalty is one of them things where It's like I understand you might. Man, we all been through some shit, so a person could be like, man, I don't I don't trust that person, so they loyalty might not be there. But to respect the person, it's just like I don't got to know you or not.
Speaker 1: Yo, this is p Rock.
Speaker 4: I respect him for who he is as a as a as a producer, as an artist, super legend, legend, but then as a human being, just as a man. And that don't take a lot. You ain't gotta have no type of interaction to respect somebody.
Speaker 6: And that's for me. But I don't know that's how I feel about it, but I would like both.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you Pete an album.
Speaker 3: Before we started the interview, you know, my boy Chris Atlas, yeah, asked me, you know, to make sure we were careful with this subject.
Speaker 1: Yea, And I want to be careful with but because I know not ask whatever you want, because you know, we're.
Speaker 3: Doing a lot of albums and we don't see you and see us smooth. Yeah, if if we would take this out the interview, if you want, no, no, that's all good, not good. I just you know, because I got to be kind of like a little bit media and like just asks like, I'm gonna tell you that's not negative if no, no, no, not negative at all. I'm gonna say that he's the best talent I've ever came across in my whole.
Speaker 1: You guys created magic. Man.
Speaker 7: I mean, I've never heard a guy rap like this. I never heard a voice like this. And even we shared great times together, don't get it all fucked up now, Like we've had our good times, you know what, And then you know, just like life, people have ups and sometimes sometimes you know, when we were in the negative zone, we tend to go like this, you know what I'm saying. And then what we would wish for each other is growth. But when one is growing and one isn't, then then it's just still uneven. Even now, it's just like, come on, man, you know what I'm saying. It doesn't it shouldn't never be like this ever. We should still be together, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 6: But some things you know that I can't really tell the whole public.
Speaker 7: But but but you know, certain things happen and in in a in a partnership, that's that just can't be you know, And and people don't won't understand. You know, I don't want to be the only one speaking on someone who's not here.
Speaker 6: You see what I'm saying. But I wish him the best in life. I respect that.
Speaker 1: Just so you know, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if you even know if man, but people think that we're blocking people think what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I know you know this rumor. The rumor is, I don't know if you know that.
Speaker 8: And it's not just him, it's a lot of people that people think you were saying that.
Speaker 1: He can't come on drink chats. Why I wouldn't you know what's funny about this? Did you hear this room? I didn't hear. He needs to be Yes, Yes, we would love to.
Speaker 7: Have him talk to talk about his life and what our relationship was. And you know, because I don't wish no bad on him, you know what I'm saying. But I just I just know that our personalities don't mix, you know, And I've experienced.
Speaker 3: Some growth with myself. I'm on another plateau and that's it.
Speaker 1: And you both deserve to be celebrating this. Records that you guys call.
Speaker 8: Timeless Classics, that are probably one of the best hip hop records ever made.
Speaker 7: You know how many years passed by that. This is what hurts me the most is that we don't celebrate our anniversaries for the records that we made that touched people. You know what I'm saying, timeless records that That's why I wish for healing for him. You see what I'm saying, so we can at least have grown men conversations, you know.
Speaker 6: What I mean.
Speaker 1: And the reason why I ask that, Let me just ask that. No, I'm glad you asked, very sensitive. Yeah, but let me just tell you something and me a poem.
Speaker 3: We actually do speed, but we don't celebrate our anniversaries neither.
Speaker 1: And it's just.
Speaker 5: Or me.
Speaker 7: It might look like it's me, you know, people gonna say it's you, people gonna say it's him, you know, but they really just in a place where they don't know what's going on. Yes, And that's why I just let it be and I don't say nothing. And when you ask me, I'm gonna tell you the real Yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I suffer from the same thing like I like, I think the twenty fifth anniversary of the War Report and Me and components should have been celebrated, should have been celebrated to celebrated. I don't remember what it exactly was for my thing, but so for every group, Like you know what I mean, Like I understand, like I understand your play. Like sometimes it's growth, it's growth.
Speaker 4: You know what I'm saying. Like that's the number one thing. That's the one thing we kind of I mean, we were young. We were so young when we were like putting out reckets. Think about when you put out to your first record, when you put out your first record, how old you are when you first DJ Like how old we were so like to grow up, Like we understand life in different ways. And like I look at my mother. It's people that she grew up with. The some she connected with still their lifetime friends and some are not. And but it's still y'all still shared some important moments together that you got to honor and respect.
Speaker 1: And I love that y'all doing that.
Speaker 3: I love I loved me and Paul excuse me, we're working off other than the business ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that more, you know what I'm saying. But let me ask you something. One of the other most biggest arguments on Drink Chaps was when we sat Kanye.
Speaker 4: I know, man, we're on the same vibe you keep saying. I keep saying, you said, I knew you were about to say something. And the democratic ship that he was.
Speaker 13: Talking about, I said, I said, comn Collin Bali and Yay said, it's so fast and he did you see how he reacted?
Speaker 1: And boy, when I tell you, I know, we got to talk about it. The backpack. Backpack community was so mad, mucking paring y'all because they knew that they was gonna make either.
Speaker 4: Do not.
Speaker 1: But they're very respectful backpack. They're not.
Speaker 9: Community right there, you making on the backpack. I get I get it, but it's not a realm. The underground.
Speaker 8: Maybe independent, maybe I give you that vary conscious maybe like you can put it in all together.
Speaker 1: You're going all types of name When when you heard.
Speaker 4: That, well, people hit me. It was like just first of all, that interview. Obviously y'all did work with that interview because that ship got everywhere.
Speaker 9: Got Yeah, the first interview, that's the problem. The first one, yeah, that's amazing, the second one, that's.
Speaker 1: Amazing about that too. I'm talking about the person. The first was great.
Speaker 4: One was great, and people hit me and was like, yo, you know they compare you and to live, and I was like, you know, I just was like, yo, hey, I ain't gonna lie. I mean, I love they said what he said. I I live my guy and he dope a dope rackords dope. M see as simple as that. But I man, you know, to hear from somebody being like yo, no, no, no no. But you know, I got also respected that that Qui put y Choir had yay on the on the tour when me and gangst I was on so.
Speaker 1: But but I told him in that I told him this is the scene that puts you on.
Speaker 4: But he gave his true opinion. So I like when people get a true artistic opinion. I don't take that personal, like when people come up to me. People come up to me and be like, yo, I like you as actor, I don't like your raps like that blah blah blah like and I ain't mad. I ain't mad because Yo, this is art. You ain't got to like if I put it. If I if I cook up some food for you and you don't like the food, that I can subjective subjective, man, I can't force that on you.
Speaker 6: Not so so anyway, when when I wouldn't.
Speaker 1: You know, I love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, spoke his mind. Obviously, y'all had him in the right place to speak his mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right here, right here.
Speaker 6: But I ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I'd be like, I want to be compared to to some of some other mcs beyond the conscious ms. I know y'all probably think of me a common backpack consciously, but I want to be compared to. I want to be compared, but I'm working on it. I'm working on my craft to be compared with you. Like, oh ship, I heard this comedy pet rock album. We got to put him in another in another status fere like you know, like meaning yo, I can understand why I got classified with with with with just backpack, but I feel like even from what I've what I've delivered as an artist is different than just just backpack because the bitch and you ain't backpacked for niggas or or if I talk about just I be talking about fucking bras and certain stuff and I.
Speaker 6: Said club, but that ain't backpacked.
Speaker 4: But I feel like even even for choir, for most step, for any of my family than my family for any of them, like we get we can put in the box and it's like, oh, this is what this is all they do. But it's like I always was like, yo, I got more than that, y'all niggas.
Speaker 1: But you felt you were backpack. Sorry could but you felt that you was glumped into the backpack.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure, bro, Because the thing is that that term, that term.
Speaker 1: Came up with the rugous era Ruus Ruckers Ruckus brought in that that that backpack terminal.
Speaker 8: Nor backpack that I feel like even this this even though you've say some hardcore.
Speaker 1: Ship on there.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, but but but I'm saying you had to really listen.
Speaker 4: I wasn't reaching some cats that was really understanding like okay, nigga, he's just a backpack.
Speaker 1: So well, let me let me ask you. I'm sorry to cut a backpack underground to sit it backpack back then, yeah, I feel I feel like that. I feel like even I feel like if you actually back it was a movement. Use small backpack.
Speaker 4: Come on, your backpack was a little and really because because you could be underground.
Speaker 1: M o P was underground because you know, I took offensive the backpack terminology. Remember a bunk, shorty, because they were it was a silent it was it wasn't a sound. Yeah, it wasn't a sound.
Speaker 6: It wasn't It wasn't even like a nerse.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a sound everything, but it wasn't a sound.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a sound though. Yeah, but it wasn't a sound.
Speaker 4: But think about this, like at one point it became like all these backpack rappers and that was just like and the category that that who fell under that was most death to live quality common like.
Speaker 1: You start doing records, doing rockets.
Speaker 4: But but but I'm saying though, the point I'm making is it was like, man, it's separated ship.
Speaker 1: And honestly, the.
Speaker 6: One person I saw that brought it together was Kanye.
Speaker 4: I remember going to s o BS and seeing that Nigga performed and he and I saw niggas were backpacked throwing up the fella they had.
Speaker 1: I was like, he changed, he changed the idea, change the definition.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But but the underground wasn't the same as black pack. The underground went the same as backpack because under because because.
Speaker 1: M P was under Man when he first came out, was all talking about underground. I'm the underground.
Speaker 6: Underground was more dirt like grime and slide.
Speaker 1: But most considered hip hop was underground, more underground, Backpack was more but but but but Shorty and the War of the Backpack.
Speaker 8: They were but if you think about it in terms of hip hop, they were top tier when they came out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but they weren't known even though they wore a backpack, they weren't known as backpack right, Like you know, like backpack started feeling like a certain thing where it was like people trying to say nerdy rap.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 4: It was nerdy conscious conscious.
Speaker 1: I was conscious more than conscious, conscious, like and like we are part of this almost like everybody. It was crazy. And some of the niggas was never vegans. And some of the niggas you know, like.
Speaker 4: Some of the niggas like like like we always like we all had our niggas ship about us.
Speaker 1: Some niggas. Some niggas have a bunch of kids.
Speaker 4: Some niggas smacking niggas when you say something.
Speaker 8: Somebody conscious rape the most gigs up because I ever met in my life.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me some of the conscious rappers work, most did most didn't know. We got off that point. Don't press, like, don't don't think they come on press.
Speaker 4: Realig bro bacon and all that. But yo, I only stopped. I only stopped in Port because of hip hop. That's what's crazy. That's why I say, because care Rest not beating beef kind because you remember he had a song called Beef.
Speaker 1: He had a song called he again because it was That's why I say camera and just how I was fourteen years You had a lot of boy on local arrest is up there for me? Beef? What hey?
Speaker 3: Man? And he told us the story. Don't don't go you make some stories, sonny. What do you mean, sonny? He told me a story. You went to the pizza here and you just.
Speaker 1: Playing rise up, telling up quick. It was not. It was not.
Speaker 4: He also told the story of Rod the Trimp. Sorry we got can we connected to this? I said, hey, we want to play a joint for ya.
Speaker 1: Please go come on, Let's play a fucking joint. Come on, listen to a radio station. Let's go.
Speaker 6: We're playing hip hop. Let's go, yeah, yeah, hip hop?
Speaker 14: Man joined wise wise up, okay, sight back that way, but you can get peak.
Speaker 6: It's man pete okay, whole ilm me and.
Speaker 1: P see like, yeah, I ain't got it together. They got to connect the OX to the other ox to the Oh my god, you're not looking good at all, man. That's all you did quick Thomas Slim. Yeah that was almost good at quick Thomas Slim. But yeah, still time and everything else, you're good.
Speaker 4: What he ate bore?
Speaker 1: You said you a happy poor for fifty years, like sixteen years.
Speaker 4: You said, that's why it's skin Yo. Hey, this ship effect the way we fucking look.
Speaker 1: You know you know that ship. That's why you're here. I haven't eaten that shit in over fifteen years. Just once in the blue. No, no, no, my wife is knowing me. You people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, my family used to get mad at I'd be like, I ain't eating this.
Speaker 1: And Thanksgiving what you're doing? But cool? You know, By the way, your girl is very nice, man. I like her and she has no idea. She's a part of one of my favorite movies are All Time Sandy Rexler. Well you like that. I love that movie. I can tell you anything about.
Speaker 8: You like that.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say it yesterday, but I was like she would be like, what you should have said it to her?
Speaker 3: Because because because I feel like, what's my man name, Adam saying what I'm saying, like Ada'm saying here my joke because I'm like you, it's like Jesus and a bird together to have a baby.
Speaker 1: And then and he said he said that, and.
Speaker 6: Like, you know, you should have said that. She would have been like, you know you said that because.
Speaker 3: She was so cool, and and I just I just was, you know comment. We've been really wanted to have you here for a long time. People thought we was hating on you coming, thought that we were like not.
Speaker 4: Having you on, Like I thought you'all thought, yo, but no, you gotta ad miss Fat Joe's show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah I remember that.
Speaker 3: So when you didn't come on the show, people were like they thought it was us blocking you not coming on the show.
Speaker 1: Was even mad hating all your fans. We've been wanting for years. I'm so grateful one you was already an honorary yes.
Speaker 4: The fact because no, he probably I was gonna be a stiff, and he was like you're gonna drink. I'm like, you know, I was like, no, We're like, what is it?
Speaker 1: I heard the Prince reg say, what's that? I'll tell you I heard the show. This is crazy. Let's go okay, I Gray then thank you so all the people that are playing.
Speaker 4: So people.
Speaker 1: Three wiles men came visit wi this outside my head the third game of the rea simile lea, the simile league.
Speaker 10: Said, announces his heart come from niggas guy adopted.
Speaker 6: They can't come, would talk hill I.
Speaker 1: Saw fell and then the line. I think the sun that kind of a wide up the race like a PRIs ra or even the middle.
Speaker 4: Start on the stats and say, don't get where me.
Speaker 1: All body gets to the.
Speaker 10: Day wis it's this order to be spases as the pens the lord, I said, Wenna, listen to me more.
Speaker 15: I said, for them tell him tip shot flight up. So people to whine up.
Speaker 1: Show people know you the crown and kill us do because us drug dealers fox with cheas. We don't revers say, I.
Speaker 10: Don't tell so no diner killers trying to get say eighteen so they will a youngs rest investing. That's man, you know that it's this whole.
Speaker 1: Face I mean, says.
Speaker 10: Sold who is bead wing crop field shoes and tears said.
Speaker 1: Some it's booms in here who bear so.
Speaker 6: Bs like a diaboa. That ever you hear about the whole and based, but.
Speaker 10: It's not to it's about like angels when the build amount of shoes.
Speaker 1: You know, you.
Speaker 10: People let up brass, you.
Speaker 15: Shot up, show people, supers, show people.
Speaker 1: Let the basis.
Speaker 3: So you'm saying sounds so hard, you know, why is it so dope? It's exactly how you described it. It's the nineties energy, yes, right, but it's right now, yeah, right, fucking we adult, We adult, man.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 4: We were like, we've experienced certain things and we ain't trying to be like, yo, we're nineteen, right, and but the spirit of what we experienced and what we created young, it's always in us.
Speaker 1: And like that music is there. So it's officially not out yet right yet. Man.
Speaker 4: If I don't kick rhymes, i'm mc let me say I said, let's I said what I said?
Speaker 1: I said?
Speaker 6: I said, Holy ground and pillars.
Speaker 4: Lord willis drug dealers, monks with keys, the Goriller, Chicago Illa, some no dealer, rich costs, fulfillers, parents trying to get their kids to eighteen so they willers. Youngkins is restless investments investors. My man ain't from Dallas, but you know where the text is. Hold them, my poker face is golden. Hold them, My poker face is golden pedigree of a legacy that stolen why it is like the old man with food in his bed and when he cried freedom. It's jews in his tiars, blues in the beers outside, in the fierce a slew for the truth.
Speaker 6: It's clues in the years.
Speaker 4: I unrude the fears so that I could get bizz like the diabolical and do the improbable, that anything's possible ills but it's logical touched by black angels, so you can feel the molecule.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 9: Yeah, take you back to you said, you're not you grown man, You're not nineteen no more.
Speaker 1: Hold were you when you did this album?
Speaker 6: I was nineteen. I was nineteen when I did.
Speaker 1: Can I bring.
Speaker 8: That style, that flow style that you have on there? When you were doing that? Where did that come from? And when did you say I'm not doing that no more?
Speaker 1: It was all influenced. It was influences of Tribe.
Speaker 4: Lea's a New School, Charlie Brown, just me thinking about James Brown, all like, just trying to think of something that was creative and free to be uniquely you, uniquely me, And it sounded too close to what was going on. So I started to develop my own you know what I'm saying, Like, that's why probably people didn't respond to that album because Charlie Brown had already did the hot.
Speaker 1: All that shit. You know, he was did that.
Speaker 6: So I just just so I was like that, ain't that ain't unique?
Speaker 1: So you think it wasn't unique? You think it wasn't received as unique your style there.
Speaker 6: No, I wasn't received as unique. I think what was unique was that I was from Chicago.
Speaker 4: Some Chicago ship, but the style, some of the styles was unique, but not that high pitch ship. But that ship wasn't unique because Charlie Brown did it, and like, you know, I got to give it up for that, like that I ain't. I ain't gonna like like that was one of the influences. So but eventually, like I listened to young dudes sometimes and they I'll be like, I can tell you listen to Jake Cole.
Speaker 6: I can tell you listen, right, I tell you.
Speaker 1: But then you eventually hear like, oh, development to your own so and that's all of us. So well, that's how we all came.
Speaker 6: So that I hadn't developed yet, and that's why I think.
Speaker 8: You know, so when you finally feel like you dropped that is, did you drop sense off of common sense?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 6: That was just because I was getting sued by these niggas that was in California.
Speaker 1: Really, I don't know what happened.
Speaker 4: That these niggas had the name common Sense. There was a reggae band. It was a black white, black white Chinese man.
Speaker 1: Everybody killers just make them up two minutes ago and there was reggae.
Speaker 6: And I was like, what the fuck y'all suing me?
Speaker 4: I ain't know, I ain't no good lawyers, and they like they came out like yo, we're suing your ass for the name common Sense. And I was like what Just because because I used to up had just come out. I had a quote from Biggie. You men, we used to get quotes from other to be like, yo, he's dope. Biggie said, yeah, I wish he was from Brooklyn. I was like, oh my god. And as soon as I came out and I used to love him. And it was the first time I met Nas, and I remember the exact words now.
Speaker 6: I said to me, He said, keep doing what you're doing. And I was like, damn, that's.
Speaker 1: Nas, like you know this, And I was like, you got a little man crushed on nos.
Speaker 4: Like like.
Speaker 1: What we do whoever you you meet, Prince, You're like, okay, all right, it's real listen.
Speaker 4: But I was like, man, I'm trying to establish myself as the MC and unique wow and be like so you know when I got certain respect from different people. That's why y'all talked about something and I was like, damn, I remember moving to New York and that changed my life. You were talking about I moved to New York from Chicago in like ninety eight, and when you talked about ninety eight, that's that. Yeah, it meant something to me because it was like the time moved in New York. I remember Pete came to the video we did for with Lauren Hill LAWNG Hill, and it was like I was in the I was around some of my pis or people that I looked up to, not just my pis. But that's how I was able to start connecting on different things, like just being around, like being available, Like because being in Chicago, niggas you out of sight, you out of mind. But if I'm like, oh Pete, what's up, I'm gonna come to the studio too, Pete might be like, Yo, I want you on this song with Nori and Big Pun and Big Pun come bro.
Speaker 1: I think about that ship.
Speaker 6: I think about that ship.
Speaker 4: That shouldt means something to bro to my spirit, real to my spirit.
Speaker 3: When I seen you yesterday and then I watched everything because you got to realize I've seen you at the next game and he's literally where you know this is. This is my my favorite camera guy, slash hater. Only even sports come to sports, but you were literally like right where he was sitting that. And then it was so crazy because I'm like, yo, I did a record with me comment and Punt, and I'm going to interview comment and Pete produce it. And then Joe is saying, you see coming over there. You want me to hook you all up, and I'm like I'm already hook I'm like, wait a minute, Pun, I mean Joe is pun. Oh yeah, just think about it. So I'm like I'm looking like I'm like, holy ship, that's why everyone's.
Speaker 1: Looking like you was nervous. I was like, I'm not. I wasn't nervous at all. I was just looking at guard work.
Speaker 11: Guard was working yesterday, So I was just like, you know what, let me let me like, I'm looking at you.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry cause I know you ain't got to say something and let you say it, but I'm looking at I'm looking at you. And then this morning I see Chris Atlas, who is one of the motherfucking loyalists, realist people in this motherfucking game.
Speaker 1: He deserves his flower. Chris, ya say that risk listeners coming Cornerstone days, many soul days.
Speaker 3: Motherfucker. And when I was mad that Timmy boy, he helped me down.
Speaker 1: He was like, I'm mad. I tell you boy too. But I really really.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you two brothers, man, I really appreciate you two brothers taking your time out to be paused with each other. And what you know, because you got to say pause it you really don't have to. Yeah, but you know what I'm saying because I love hip hop, man, I really really really love hip hop.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 3: I want to always salute hip hop. And when I know YouTube brothers did this album and we got sent we got personally sent a link.
Speaker 1: I'm si ship just one day, let me just tell you something.
Speaker 3: And we do this all the time, like like you know people you know, even at least the Keys, this album earlier and our management did comment on hers, but this is the first time they sent it.
Speaker 1: And was like, Yo, did y'all listen.
Speaker 3: Because this is hip fucking hot that you made and comment, I wanna, you know, give it to you because I'm not giving it to both of y'all.
Speaker 1: Book.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying is, what I'm saying is you could have been like, let me make a pop recordar let me do this, and no, it's exactly what you guys said.
Speaker 1: It's nineties now, yeah, that's all. Yeah, Now that's a good way of saying it. I feel like I give that yo.
Speaker 6: That because we needed someone that heard it to tell it to.
Speaker 1: Yes, so thank you. It's dope man.
Speaker 3: So so and by the way, like I said, I'm playing I was playing around by saying I'm bootlegging it.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. We all heard it and was like, what the fuck like this ship is.
Speaker 3: I appreciate y'all for for not forgetting but then still remembering. I don't know if that made sense, but what I'm saying is it's exactly what you said. It's not then it's.
Speaker 1: Then energy the energy, but it's now moment right, everything is new to now. But you're bringing that energy.
Speaker 3: We could tell the message is Martin and Malcolm, but it's now that's happening.
Speaker 1: We need we need a leader.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: We can't live we can't live in you can't live in no more out here.
Speaker 6: It's the youngins.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: We have to reintroduce ourselves to these youngins. And so it's important that you know, I make music this way they could relate to awsome, but it still gives us that feel that we missed.
Speaker 4: Like ah, but the truth is like the purity of what what p rock creates is like it feels a space that like we don't get in hip hop a lot. And when I when I hear the music and I'm like, damn, this is just sample. But it's like, man, this don't have an age to it. When I was listening to Michael Jackson, I wasn't thinking about like the twenty five years. But when I was listening to Stevie Wonder, how did this July was the first TV that was the first ob my own Stevie Wonder.
Speaker 1: You did you can see ye?
Speaker 5: Sing?
Speaker 1: Let me see him? No, let me tell you say yes, no, no, no, no, tell Illuminati.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna tell you I sat across from Stevie Wonder, and I'm telling you all this for real.
Speaker 1: We was eating lunch.
Speaker 4: It's just me and him, and I'm sitting there like and we was in the studio and here it was just talking.
Speaker 6: It was just lunch.
Speaker 4: And I saw him using certain things to operate, and I was like, he can't see, he can't see. And I was sitting there first of all, like, damn, I'm sitting here with Stevie Wonder. This is me and Stevie Wonder. But I also was like I heard those rumors like Stevie Wander could see, but he not one moment did he do something that made me feel like he could see, Like the man case you.
Speaker 1: Said you had lunch with him, just you went, but how did he eat? You can't see like you can feel. Can't you feel that you can feel? You like he plays?
Speaker 3: But Shack, it was Shack who said he was in the elevator. And I think it was the Icey brother or Iley brothers said that said Street, I promise you we'll see. Then was I brother? But somebody said he said he was, and he got the elevator with him and he said, what's up?
Speaker 1: Big das like like he he knew he might have smelled some sawd him. He's coming into that he might people think that. So he's gonna play more jokes on me. I want Stevie wondering drink est go like this to him, and I want to see if you can go. I got your nigga, I wanted to do that. You ain't taking shot. You'll do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, h yo, listen common Pete Rock. I know you guys gotta go. This has been so much of a pleasure. We start this show to give people their flowers. I can't stand on culture when they say that you've been here ten years and you you know you're washed up. There's no washed up.
Speaker 1: In rock and roll.
Speaker 3: There's no washed up in heavy metal. Nick Jacket is nine hundred years old. Nigga out here doing cocaine one hundred miles.
Speaker 1: A minute.
Speaker 3: And torring god speak on the god the fuck we can't do the same ship speak.
Speaker 1: We ain't got to do cocain and like that tell you y'all.
Speaker 3: What I'm trying to tell y'all is it's real, like our coach has to continue to celebrate us. Yeah, it's it's whack when we don't.
Speaker 1: It takes nothing from me. Ef n our crew. Our crew loves what the fuck we do.
Speaker 3: We love you, brothers, We love we want, not just that record that y'all gave us, give us more.
Speaker 1: Well fucking we'll continue to promote this ship. Well continue. This is your platform, and I want you to know that always you know what I'm saying. I really really, really really really really.
Speaker 3: Want you to know that I know that you brothers are hip hop. I know to represent hip hop. I trust both for you with hip hop, I trust both for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: So I want to tell the audience how much I trust both for you and how much we are honored that you guys came here. And I don't know if this is your first interview, but please be from here. I'm about together and those lots of brothers club to stay here, stay here. In general, you stay here, okay, okay, after we dropped the promo, then you go somewhere else.
Speaker 1: I got you, I got you. I'll tell you where it goes. We always agreed, agreed. We love you. Look, this is my business partners, my brother and look what he has presented. He has went by the way.
Speaker 3: This is real albums. He ain't go buy them yesterday. Yeah, this is the original.
Speaker 6: I'm not stopping your wisdom.
Speaker 1: Please, you would cut my wisdom. You only know your wisdom.
Speaker 4: But any time I see common Sense on the project common Sense, that means that DJ, that artist went and got that ship original. I had to change my name to common So common sense mean he got that ship when it was came out.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 4: I'm just you know then, man, We're grateful to be on here with y'all, man because this is where, this is our home, this is where we just what this is what we about this.
Speaker 6: I've been waiting to be on drink.
Speaker 1: I was meaning for you to say, don't tell me.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: You got to hear it's all the joints that we got, everything so everything so grand. And I got a couple of verses like I got I gave you you know, don't tell me you take a shot that thanks but thank you so much. And we got this. Man, I need you to sign this. Motherfuckers don't and we wrapping it up at this but I want can you shout out every argument that you have bro Listen to me.
Speaker 9: Resurrection sold by the pound to me, is a game changer. There is a game changing record.
Speaker 1: Hold it up. Hold this, motherfuckers. Man, we're on a television show. I don't know if you know you still love it came out after this, right? I used to love it? Right? But to me, this is a game changer for you. Did you feel the same way I used to?
Speaker 4: Maybe I used to love it came out before, but I'm sorry, but it was it wasn't game changer.
Speaker 1: It was a game changer from the Pound still had your old flow on it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but but you sed toll Love. It came out before that because it was on the album. But that regardless of that, the fact you got the fucking comments.
Speaker 9: But this, this remix, no, this sold by the Pounds remix is a game change, real, real game change. Man, It's a game change. And listen, we already know about keep going. You ain't going to that one?
Speaker 6: Which one? The one that Resurrection?
Speaker 1: I'm chain? Okay, come on, you got left, you got lust?
Speaker 7: And actually the sample from Resurrection is the same album I took World as Yours from. Yes, okay, so that's the history. We bounce off each other, right, Yes, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Listen, the album. To me, I took it out beause you were about to sign it, but you said that this is the flow and we love this album. I love this album.
Speaker 8: This album is dope to me because La raising Miami. I'm listening to hip hop from all.
Speaker 1: Over the nation, you know what I'm saying. And to me, this was dope coming out of Chicago. I wanted to hear what was coming out of Chicago, and you came out with a certain flow and it was dope to me. So I love that joint. You already know what this is.
Speaker 8: I don't think this is just a classic for hip hop, is a classic for for just music in general. Real, yeah, this when this record comes on. Even if you weren't around when this record came out, you can't.
Speaker 1: Help such a special record. I worked on that hard, such a special.
Speaker 9: Record, man, so I could feel it, man, And to be honest with you, was then followed by straighten it out, yeah brother, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yo. Everybody wanted to straighten the funk out and you're solo. Yeah man, thank you the words you did? What as a mix? Because I grew up the mixtape d J.
Speaker 8: I just wanted to create a masterpiece like you was doing it man, Thank you incredible what you did right here.
Speaker 1: You should be proud too, right you did like everybody to get so that was a bigation man, Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 9: And I brought a little extra something because you know, when the labels were sending them, I had to show, man, you're gonna.
Speaker 1: Sign this to I got to that's crazy and I have more to that. But I just brought these joints. I got so much more that once again, what day is the album dropping?
Speaker 6: It's dropping in July July twelfth.
Speaker 1: July twelve. We're gonna promote this. Yes, we're gonna put our monkey foot in the front. Thank you, Forecasts. We're gonna make sure that they do it. And I'm actually trying to sneak on the album because you know you can do that. Send me a joint, don't listen, man, because I mean, honestly, I just really want to support this. Thank you. Yeah, Yeah, let's go. I want to sell you that. Relax, you know, I really you know, brothers, thank y'all so much.
Speaker 11: Man.
Speaker 1: I appreciate y'all.
Speaker 3: I appreciate y'all coming together, and I appreciate y'all keeping the hip hop and I appreciate it making it to a drink Champion. Yeah, man for the first stop. That's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Son. Like I said, I we're gonna support this. We're gonna make sure and we're gonna we're gonna keep hip hop alive together. Of course together, we gotta get in the studio. I got yeah, yeah, you know, I'm scared of death. Studio. We did another joint. I know, I got beats that you I know I got. Let's go, Let's go. And by the way, I'm gonna be honest with you. This is our head director. But you you is uncle. I know, I know, I know that's like a little racist.
Speaker 8: Drink Champs is a Drink Champs ll C production hosts and executive producers n O r E and d J E f N. Listen to Drink Champs on Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs hosted by Yours Truly, dj E f N and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials that's at drink Champs across all platforms. At the Real noriegon I g at Noriega on Twitter mine is at Who's Crazy on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com