Speaker 1: New pr on the leg press. Oh I leg press sixteen hundred pounds. Yeah, but you can't squat three hundred. What good is a sixteen hundred pound leg press when you're out on the football field. Do you have a leg press when you're throwing the shot put? Do you have a leg press when you're knee deep in the muck in Vietnam?
Speaker 2: Do you have a leg press? Good morning, sweet world, and welcome to the No Dunks podcast on the Athletic Network. It's Friday, January twenty second. This is the drop hashtag full squad on Jay Skeets and alongside me, mister what you need to.
Speaker 3: Know Test mellis Good day, everybody, Good day tasks.
Speaker 2: We got the bass Master ripping them lips. Nice shirt there, Trey Kirby, Hey hey, oh yes, the great Dead Lithuania shirt. That is amazing there TK. We also have the international Man of Mystery taking it to the max in an NBL jersey.
Speaker 3: Lee Ellis pre.
Speaker 2: Lee last but not least making the magic happen. It's JD Hello, there is and here we are. Shout out to the stream team joining us live right now on YouTube. Yesterday we reached twenty seven thousand subs. All right, that's a lot of subs. Let's intro our way to thirty thousand, then to forty thousand, then to fifty k and then we get that slim Lee Ellis country song dropped on your head. But big news with our YouTube channel yesterday, Trey take it away. You do it. You let the people know. Whoopsies are back there. It is, Yes, NBA Whosi blooper series is back. Forget weekend whoopsies. It's weekly whoopsies now from the entire week. So if you haven't go check that out again on the No Dunks YouTube channel. Fantastic work that music. JD Man, it took me back. Oh my goodness, just to too. Yeah, a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Great. First, I'm feeling a lot of pressure right now because, as you said, we used to do weekend whopsies now it's weekly whipsies. Feeling pressure to not miss a whoopsie missing it's gonna be a lot of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, help us out, Help us out. Actually, that's a great point there. Tasks for everyone listening and joining us of course live watching us here. If you see a whoopsie in the NBA, let us know about it. Best way is probably on Twitter at No Dunksinc. But you can email them in or you can let us know in the YouTube comments as well. We've got our eye on that. So yeah, if you see something that you think could make the whoopsies, tag it and let us know what game, where it happened, what it is. That really really helps us. All right, keep your questions in your comments coming for next week's Beach step in podcast. Email them in No dunks at the Athletic dot com. Immaculate items always available at no dunks dot com. You know, Task, I almost feel bad now I said, nice shirt, Tray, nice jersey. Lee. Task has the shirt on. Let's be honest. He's got the No Dunk basketball shirt there. It's a nice shirt rock in the purple. You can go get that at No dunks dot com. T shirts, hoodies, shorts, and a mug even. All right, we got a lot to talk about, as we always do on the drop. We're gonna touch on last night's light NBA schedule, only three games. We'll get to those. We got worse of the week, we got tweeted the night we got rapid firefun. But I teased this earlier in the week the twenty twenty twenty one NBA regular season already a month in, guys, and we're actually nearing the quarter pole really of the season, with only seventy two games. We're getting close there. Lately. On Wednesday's podcast, we discussed our early season surprises and disappointments and some prediction mulligans and our best plays. And I teased on that one that on this drop we would share in debate our NBA award front runner. So let's do it. We'll take turns going through, you know, each of the six major NBA awards. Now, I'd like to point out I don't think and correct me if I'm wrong, Guys, I looked at it like this, This is not who I think's going to win it, you know, necessarily, but who right now, you know, fifteen sixteen games in would be at the at the top of the leaderboard or top three even because I want you, guys to give me your top three candidates in each one. So Lee, let's start with MVP. Work it backwards. Lee, Okay, goes three to two to one for us, And who do you have right now as your MVP? A month?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is a good award because we all have different ways of evaluating the MVP. No we I mean some go on numbers and stats, some give weight to team success, and some of it is just part of the itest two way effectiveness narrative plays a part. So based on all those categories, at number three on my MVP leaderboard, I have.
Speaker 5: Joel emb Okay.
Speaker 4: There are a few guys in contention here, but I've been really impressed with the early returns of Joel Embi playing under Doc Rivers. I think Doc has gotten through to Joel to make him understand that he needs to be a more dominant player closer to the basket. The numbers are great, the raw numbers twenty six and twelve one and a half blocks and steels per game, so he's doing it at both ends there. But he's shooting career highs across the board fifty five percent from the field. He's taking less threes than he's taken in the past, but he's shooting them at a better percentage, and he's getting to the free thrown free throw line more and making those at a career best clip. The Sixers best record in the East, but they have had the easiest or an an easy schedule, I will say, but I think Joel Embiid so far has has has shown this is probably his best career season. For me in the early games, okay, at number two on my MVP leader board, I have Kevin Durant Now. The Nets numbers in terms of win losses only nine and seven and seven and five when Durant plays, but he has been simply amazing on the court when he's been playing, and I think they are the best team in the East right now, even though their record doesn't say it. Durant's numbers thirty one points, eight rebound, six assists on incredible shooting fifty four percent from the field forty six from three, only eighty six percent from the line for Kevin Durant a little bit lower than normal. But to me down to while the Nets had some defensive issues, every single team who plays the Nets has defensive issues. When Kevin Durant's out on the floor, that's just how good he is. He's had a couple of chances to win games and he hasn't been able to do it. But right now in the Eastern Conference, if I was to pick who's going to make it to the NBA Finals. Kevin Durant's team is going to make it to the NBA Finals. He has been incredible, hasn't looked like a guy who's missed eighteen months and is also recovering from an Achilles' injury, which is sometimes devastating to a player. He's been unbelievable. And I've seen so many games of Kevin Durant that I sort of feel I feel like he has just impressed me so much because I was wondering if he would be able to be back so quickly to the player that we saw before he got injured. And I think, unquestionably he has number one on my leaderboard. I'm going with Lebron James for a lot of reasons. Well, look, the Lakers the best team and the clear favorite to win the title right now, the best record in the league at twelve or four eight zero on the road or I mean, it doesn't mean quite the same these days because we don't have that sort.
Speaker 5: Of home road impact.
Speaker 4: But Lebron last night, I think we saw a classic. Hey, guys, you know how awesome I am. Watch me just dismantle the Milwaukee Bucks out here. Now, Lebron's numbers aren't huge by his standards, twenty four to eight to eight on forty eight percent shooting. But it's just so impressive to me that he's doing it in basically playing a career Lozer in minutes, I think, apart from his rookie season, and it's just so easy for him and the Lakers right now. You know, coming off winning the championship last season, we wondered, I wondered if maybe Anthony Davis would be the guy this year who's like, right, I'm going to be the best player on the Lakers. I don't think that's happened. I think Anthony Davis has kind of not quite really found his form yet this season, although he's been good, but not certainly the player that I thought he was. Whereas I look at Lebron, I look around the league and I'm like, man, he is just cruising right now. This is the time of year where Lebron you know, I know, this season started later, but he often takes a couple of games off and he just chills out a little bit.
Speaker 5: Well, he is chilling out a bit.
Speaker 4: But his team is incredible and he's putting up uh, you know, again, not huge numbers by his standards, but just doing it so easily, shooting the ball well, and his team looks so good. So Lebron James as of today is my MVP, which would be his fifth officially, I think it would be my twelfth if I.
Speaker 2: Was right, right right, Yes, it should be the biggest surprise that you.
Speaker 4: Have just before, just before you guys jump in, I'll just say Nikola Jokic was in there because he's obviously averaging a triple double. But the Nuggets seven to seven, not even in the playoffs in the West right now, and Steph Curry is also having a great season. The Warrior is also not in the playoffs. So those why That's the reason why I took those two guys out of contention and went with the three that I chose.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, Trey, let's uh, let's go to you. What do you think of Lee's list here, especially with Lebron at number one? Do you agree or disagree?
Speaker 6: Well, I've got the same three on my ballot as Lee, but I'm gonna be buster rhymes here and flip it on him. I've got Lebron at number three on my MVP ballot because it kind of feels like We've been watching preseason Lebron for the entirety of this year up until last night against the Bucks. Fourth quarter. Lebron is the MVP. When he turns it on in the fourth quarter, as he's been doing throughout this season, he's clearly the best player in the league. But it's hilarious to look at his stats comically low, like lia Is saying, twenty four to eight to eight incredible for anybody. That's sophomore season for Lebron, James like he's not given the full effort out there. We all know it. He knows it, but when he needs to, he can reach into the bag and still be the best player in the league. I got Kevin Durant at number two. I think he likely will and will win MVP at the end of the season. Like Li says, he has been phenomenal. He's instantly back in the best player in the game conversation. But I'm given the MVP right now to Juwel Embiid. He's been dominant, he's been engaged. He looks like an MVP game the game throughout his career, but he's constantly putting the team on his back right now, doing it on both ends, and I'm giving him the MVP for now because it probably won't be the case in a couple of months. And this is just how it goes with Jewel Embiid. We've seen him really put the team on his back in the past before. I remember. I think it was the Christmas game last sear and he was going against the Bucks, had like a thirty five to fifteen, looked like the best player in the world, but it didn't totally translate for the rest of the season. He's been awesome this year. He's my MVP right now because I want to give him a little shine while he's on top.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Trey, I got Embiid right now as the MVP front runner. You know, one month in here, twenty five points per game. He's shooting, you know, fifty seven percent on twos, thirty nine point four percent from from deeply. But he hasn't fallen in love with a three point shot like you said. He's going down into the block and making it work down there. Both career highs though, and I'll add to this. You know a reason why I think he is the MVP right now. The Sixers' performance without him helps his MVP case. I believe they're oh to three when Embid's not playing compared to like a nine to two record when he's in there. Now, yes, they haven't played the greatest teams yet, but still he can only play who's in front of you there, so that I think does help him. I got KD I actually have him second as well, but then I had Jokich just third. But Kad, I have a question for you, I'll go to Yulie. Moving forward. I know we're talking about one month in here, but moving forward, does trading for Harden hurt Katy's MVP chances? Like is it almost going to be impossible now for him to win it? You know, as the season goes on, Like, what's your take on that?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I think Kevin Durant has clearly established himself as the best player in the Eastern Conference so far in this one month into the sea.
Speaker 2: But if Lebron and Ed at times cancel each other out, then why it couldn't. Yeah the same about Katie who also had that happen with Steph curry back.
Speaker 4: I think for that to happen, James Harden would almost have to just have like just an an astronomical season, which I just don't think he's going to do. I think again, it's the eye test for me with the Brooklyn Nets, like they're nine and seven and seven and five when Kevin Durant plays, which is like, oh, they should be better than that. But it just feels to me, again in the Eastern Conference, I wouldn't pick anyone to beat the Nets in a seven game series right now. While Kevin Durant's playing the way he is, I just feel is that dominant and that impactful if you take James Harden off that team. Even prior to that, I thought, I still think while Kevin Durant's there, the Nets are the best team. Harden improves them. Butt for me is back to already his best, the best player he was before he had the injury. So look, I'm maybe a little bias too because I have fallen back in love with KD. You know, it's like, you know, he because he was kind of like he was on the out of there for a while when he went to the Worriores. You know, people kind of like that's a bit of a dick move. But he's now gone to another team with star players. But it's like, Okay, let's just let's just not forget that this guy is an incredible talent in the league. And like I say, when he's on the court, which other team goes, well, we can defend Kevin Durant. You know, That's part of the reason why I say they like the Nets have got a terrible defense and they allow teams to score, but they have Kevin Durant, so they know that if the game comes closed, you want the ball in Kd's hands, as we saw the other night against the Milwaukee Bucks.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tas Leely's got Lebron right now as his MVP front unner. Tray and I have Joel Embiid at the top of our list, and then we're obviously talking about all these other guys. Who do you have?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would go with Joel Embiid as well. I think one guy who's not part of the conversation right now because he contracted the coronaviruses, Jason Tatum. Who would be I think either one or two if he was entirely healthy the entire season. It's usually a factor is injuries, no doubt, but this year a factor is the virus contracting the virus and missing a couple of weeks is huge. But there's just so many guys that are like middling right there at the top. There's like, I think you could make an argument for I don't know, I didn't count, but like ten guys. All the guys you've mentioned are all right there. And Lebron. I think Lee kind of went with him, and a lot people do because it's sort of a default pick. Yeah, he is the best player on the best team. But this is the one year Lebron's not even going for it. I mean, he's playing the fewest minutes he's ever played. This is his second lowest point total since his rookie season. He needs things to motivate him. I think there's a reason why they're eight to NOO on the road, because he's got to get up for games and that he's always loved playing on the road. This is a season where he's chilling a little bit, you know, only playing thirty two minutes a game, and Anthony Davis isn't playing to his capabilities whatsoever. It's amazing that the Lakers are what they are, but yeah, I guess I'm sort of picking embiid because you know, Tray and I picked him last year thinking that the jump that came this season would have come last season, and it's it's it's there, it's apparent. I don't know how long it's gonna last, because it's it's hard to be an MVP. It's hard to be jannistet Kompo and go seventy two games the full frick and throttle. So Embiid and Jokic I would pick because I'm pumped to see them right up there at the top of the leader board. It's just it's it's an anomaly. I just don't know how long those guys last at the top. So I would pick it while it's there.
Speaker 2: I think them beads MVP cases helped too that he has a you know, he's a factor on the defensive end as well. I mean that's why we were always bumping Giannis up over the last couple of years, because you're like, oh, yeah, he's also a great defender. He's in the running for Defensive Player the Year, which I you know, Embiid is always in the mix too. I think that's helps him right now and beat can win this thing if obviously the Sixers win enough games and he plays enough games like he's going to have the counting stats. It's just whether he actually has the games played. I mean, I guess he'll have the average, is what I mean, but whether he'll have the games played, It's it's fascinating. I am a little intriguedly that you sort of have Durant so high, and I get it, you've fallen in love with him coming back. The league's better watching him. You're watching a ton of Nets games, but like you said, the Nets are what nine and seven? And you know the Nuggets are disappointing? What seven and seven? But you know, like it's so it's not that much different, is what I'm getting out here. And we got Yollkich averaging a triple double, you know, twenty five, eleven and ten. I think he's still at but you still have them sort of just outside your top three. But I am with you there a task like it's it's very very close between a lot of these guys. I mean, Luca in the mix, yeah exactly. Of course, Gianness is sort of still in the mix there, just with his cheer numbers. You know, Lillard obviously a little bit still in play though they're eight and six, Paul George and Cole Leonard on the Clippers. I think I have to be considered too. So there's a ton of guys, but you know, a lot of us are going with embid right now. At the top, Lee says Lebron James. He loves a good narrative.
Speaker 5: I love it all. He's got it all.
Speaker 4: But but also again, the Lake is their their their point differential, best in the league. I mean, yeah, I'm just giving white to the fact that Lebron these numbers are a little bit lower by his standards, But he looks to me like he's in complete control of the league. And right now there's no one I would pick to beat the Lakers in the finals as we are today.
Speaker 3: So that's the other thing.
Speaker 2: Well, let's hear from you guys out there with all of these awards. Let us know in the YouTube comments, shout out to the stream team again and you can tweet at us that as well. At no Dunk's inc. Anything else to add to the MVP conversation or just the table is full. I think we got like ten guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you named everybody that's in the league.
Speaker 4: YEA, yeah, I did say. I did say the Warriors winning the playoffs. They are actually in the playoffs at eight and seven. I did get that wrong, the seventh in the Western Conference.
Speaker 2: Well, let's get to our next award. It's most improved players so far. Actually, before you give us three, tray, is Lebron in the mix? Because I'm getting ready for people to start up Lebron for most improved because he's added the three point shot, like he's like suddenly back to being like a I guess he did it once before, like a forty percent three point shooter. I'm just waiting for somebody to fire up that take. But who do you have as your top three mips right now? While at number three I got Lebron James.
Speaker 6: He missed that huge three against the Warriors, made a big one last night, so I'm putting him in the mix. It happened last night, so it matters the most. I'm kidding, Skeets, you hate this award. Guess what I love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Little known fact about me, I was Plano High School's most improved player in two thousand and one. I just sucked when I was a junior, honestly, Yeah, But once I got a big role was ball and mip Trey Kirby. Anyways, here's my top three at number three on my ballot, Jeremy Grant twenty five points per game this year. That's a thirteen point in crazy's career highs across the board. The percentages are steady. To me, this is kind of the Paul Millsap corollary. Shout out to Tom Zill back in the day. Jeremy Grant has an increased role with the Pistons, but he's maintained his efficiency. He's seizing an opportunity, He's doing it every night.
Speaker 3: There was a lot of.
Speaker 6: Questions about this signing in the offseason, but the Pistons got this one right. I don't know about the rest of the moves they made, but the Jeremy Grant won it looks good. Number two on my ballot Christian Wood twenty three points per game. That's a ten point increase career highs across the board. Again, percentages are steady. He's gone from a curiosity to an established player with star potential, maybe a building block for the Houston Rockets. I really think that that is Christian Woods team, like they did acquire Victor Oladipo. John wall Is there, but that's the future for the Rockets. Christian Would, and you know, I think that people are loving to dunk on you if you didn't watch the Pistons a lot last year. But Christian Would also started like twelve games for the Pistons. It wasn't a long stretch where he was out there putting up twenty five and ten. Now he's doing it pretty consistently. Also a good rim protector, so he's in the mix for me as well. But my most improved player so far is Jalen Brown. I've been sleeping on Jalen Brown. He's one of my favorites. Did you realize Jalen Brown is now up to twenty five a game, six rebounds, four assists, steal in a half, career highs from the field, career high from three. He's got better playmaking, his handle has improved, his usage rate is now up to thirty. That's superstar level. Celtics have been bawling because he's really knocking on superstar status. Jason Tatum, like tast Set, has missed some games, Kemba Walker missed some games, but Jalen Brown has been there doing it every single night for the Celtics. Really impressive stuff.
Speaker 2: All right, I didn't see that coming. I like that pick though, task What do you think about that? Jalen at number one on your leader board?
Speaker 3: That was a great one. No, he threw me for a curveball. I've kind of forgotten about the Jalen banwig. I guess I've just come to accept that Jalen Brown is awesome and I don't think of him as an improved player because I've been you know, I followed the lead every tray is. You know, jumped on that bad and Wigan last year and I'm on there. I wonder what happens to his shots when when Jason Tatum comes back. He definitely was kicking ass when Tatum was in the lineup earlier this season. He's come back a little bit to earth. Jayalen Brown was shooting like sixty percent from the field. But yeah, he's phenomenal. I don't know. The jump isn't as big than it is for Jeremy Grant. As Trey said that, that and Christian Wood are just those two stand out to me as big jumps when I look at it the Most Improved Player award. It's harder to go from good to great like traded in his senior year at a Plano or you know these numbers where you just get playing time, you get a role. Christian Wood is that guy, and Jeremy Grant is just he's just phenomenal. It's not like he's gotten you know, more minutes. The numbers are wild. He's taking ten more shots a game, but the percentages are exactly the same. It's crazy. I didn't think that that was going to happen. He has scored twenty or more in thirteen consecutive games. That just doesn't happen on good percentages. And you know, some say that anybody somebody has to score. I should say on the Detroit Pistons, somebody has to score. But he's doing it efficiently, so he's he's great. I think he's probably the front runner along with Christian Wood. Depending the last sixty games of the season, their number increases just too damn high to deny them.
Speaker 2: Lely and who you got, yeah the end.
Speaker 4: The other name I would throw in there, I like the Jalen Brown pick is Chris Bouchet from the Raptors. I think he's been incredible, shooting sixty percent on from the field, averaging fifteen and a half points a game, forty eight percent from downtown, and six rebounds. So he's clearly having his best season for the Raptors. The Raptors record, obviously, they've they've started off badly. They lost a lot of games at the start.
Speaker 2: But he doesn't play a ton of minutes either.
Speaker 4: Well but yeah, but still that's that's good though for his Well, that that's good.
Speaker 2: But I got a little trivia question off of that for you, Lee Okay, can you name Okay? I saw this from bleacher Report. The NBA hasn't had a most improved player who averaged under thirty minutes since this in ninety seven ninety eight. A tough one. This is a tough mip. We don't talk about this guy a lot. He played for the Hawks.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 2: I think he played for the Nets. The well fact check that while you guys maybe try and pick it. Yeah, he's got a very oh, he's got a very common sort of last name a lot Jo Henderson. Yeah, man TK coming through with Alan Henderson. Did he play for one that didner? I'm sorry. He played for the MAVs, the Cavs and the Sixers at the end of his career. That's what I was thinking of. So anyway, it's very, very tough to do. I guess was my point. Dell Bouche at twenty four minutes per game right now, that could go up if he gets the starting nod eventually in Toronto.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The other hey, what about this guy, Colin Sixton is averaging twenty seven points a game for the Caves.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: He's only played nine games. He's missed the couple, but he's shooting fifty three percent from the field and fifty percent from downtown. Only three and a half sitts the game, but a steal and a half as well, And obviously the Calves have been a much better team, and you know this season, last season, but twenty seven a game over nine games, that's that's not just the tiny sample size, you know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I had him in the mix as well, but I kind of think he's just on fire right now. The guy cannot miss from outside, so ergo, his scoring stats are going to be the same because when you look deep into it, he's taking the same kind of shots. He's doing the same stuff assist wise. Like you're saying, like, but he is on fire and we just saw him score twenty straight for the Cavaliers, So how can you not put him in the mix.
Speaker 2: I love the Jaalen Brown pick. I gotta say I sort of had forgotten about him. I think I was like task, Like I just you know, we were debating Jaalen Brown's All Star capabilities last year, so he's obviously we thought he was a good player, but he's taken it to the next level. I'm not going to disagree with that. Another hate what about this guy? Maybe Julius Randall. Yeah, I mean what he's doing. I mean, like, I know, he's sort of always had good numbers, but they're up this year and obviously it's impacting the knicks in the wind calumn as well, so I think he's added some things to his game as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he has to do a ton So this missed out on his triple double again last week.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of guys. It sounds like most people probably Jeremy Grant, Christian Wood, and then Jillen Brown is an interesting pick. So let's hear from you.
Speaker 6: And for me of Brown is because like Task to say, and it is harder to go to good from good to great, and we've already We've known that Jalen Brown is a good player basically since his rookie year. But you look at the list of guys who have won Most Improved in the past couple of seasons, it's Brandon Ingram, Pascal Siakam, Victor Oladipo Jannis back in the day. They're going from established good player too, you're making All Star teams, and I think Jalen Brown is going to be an All Star.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, Paul George. I think comes to mind too, right, he sort of did that leap and that's sort where my mind goes to when I think Jaylen Brown. So yeah, no, for sure, if that trend continues, then he could win this link all right, sixth man of the Year so far tasks who you got top three.
Speaker 3: And number three? I'm going with the Philadelphia seventy six ers. Shake Milton, what a name. Shake. He has been everything the seventy six Ers have hoped for. Seventeen points off the bench. He's in the mix for most improved player as well, going from nine points a game last year to seventeen this year. Nearly fifty percent for a guard. That's a lovely Doc Rivers and Darryl Morey talked him up in the preseason. This guy's amazing. This guy's amazing. Usually when front office people talk about a player like that, they're just kind of bigging him up. And then in the regular season he drops off. This guy skyrocket, he's doing great. Number two. You guys mentioned him, Chris Bouche. He's not your typical six man for the Toronto Rappers. He's a backup center.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a backup center.
Speaker 3: He's a backup big. He's an anomaly. He is one of a kind. You watch him out there. He's got a unique shot. But he you know, when you think about a six man, you don't think about blocking shots, but he does a lot of it. He just does a lot. So from this list, I think Chris Bouche probably does the most because he blocks two and a half shots a game, fifteen and a half points, sixty percent from the floor, forty eight percent from three. Yeah, that's wild. Is that going to come down? Yes, but still hitting a couple of game. That's that is instrumental for the Reps right now because they're not getting anything from their center play. And yes, it's most likely Chris Bouche will become a center. I don't know who. That's what Nick Nurse does. He's a mastermind. Maybe he's gonna keep starting. Aaron Bain's playing for twelve minutes and Bouchet the better player coming off the bench, but at number one with a bullet. The sixth man of the year right now, it's Jordan Clarkson. This guy's found his spot in the league. You think back to his Laker days. He's playing behind Kobe Bryant and he's starting. Then he went to the bench and he wasn't great off the bench. Then he just wasn't in his lane. He just didn't know that I'm a score that's what I do. And then he went to Cleveland and he played behind Lebron and he still couldn't find his role. So that's that's the point. When you had two tries and you haven't found your role, maybe you're not gonna find in this league. But then he got traded to Utah, had a really good season last year, you know, only had half a season there, and the Jazz are kicking ass this year and Jordan Clarkson's going along for the ride. Top bench player with seventeen and a half points per game, forty nine from the floor, forty three from three. Those are great Jordan Clarkson numbers from blowing kisses to the jenners to ballin' he is. He is the best Jordan Clarkson I've ever seen. You know, he was just he looked like a guy who is just going to sort of float around the league for a long time. But he's found a spot. He should never leave the bench ever. Ever. Ever, He's in a perfect spot.
Speaker 2: He's a contract deal, too, isn't he. He's not paid a ton if I remember correctly, fifty. Yeah, so he's making like eleven and a half. That means or something like that, twelve maybe this year. That's a hell of a bargain deal for Jordan Clarkson coming off through bench. So you're right, he's just having a super efficient year off the pine. And he is sort of like the prototypical six man you think of, a guy comes in and just shoots and scores and gets you back in games or builds leads and stuff like that, and can be out there in closing games too. Okay, Clarkson is a task his pick. You agree with that one trade you have somebody else.
Speaker 6: I've got almost the same ballot as Task Clarkson is my guy for the number one slot because he's the new j R.
Speaker 5: Smith.
Speaker 6: He even dresses awesome to come into games, and then he goes out there and shoots every time. He's taking a lot more threes this year, just like the rest of the Jazz are really helping him score efficiently. Bouche number two. But my number three I got Patty Mills. Yeah, Yeah, Patty Mills. He's kind of emblematic of a fun Spurs bench. He picks up the pace when he comes in there. The Spurs second unit, I think is a lot more fun to watch than their first unit and part of the reason they've been so successful this year. But you could easily go Shake Milton. The only reason I'm really picking Patty over Shake Patty over shit.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 6: But the only reason I'm going with Patty Mills over Shake Milton is because I got some more sixers coming up in some awards here, so I wanted to sprinkle sprinkle some other stuff here for the Spurs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Leah, sounded like you're very happy with Patty Mills making Tray's top three at least.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's having a career best year coming off the bench, shooting the ball, scoring points, and I think he's been instrumental to the Spurs in their wins. So I'm glad that Patty is getting that recognition because the Spurs, you know, they're up and down. Watch Sometimes you want to watch them, sometimes you don't. But Patty, he's really grown in that role there in San Antonio. And always say this about Patty that I don't think he shot selection has changed all that much in his entire career. I just think he knocks him in now. At the start, he used to just fire away and a bit like Jordan Clarkson, you know, the first couple of season was like he just fires away. But now they go in and that makes a huge difference. So but absolutely I agreed that Jordan Clarkson would be the clear favorite to win this award right now.
Speaker 2: You had some fun talking to Shane Hill the hammer about Patty Mills. Really got around to listening to it. That came up. For sure, it was great. He's sounded like a big Paddy Mills fan himself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 4: I mean Shane Hill was a bit of a smaller player too in terms of his stature, and he used to go out there and fire, and so I think he sees a little bit of Paddy Mills and himself there and also played in San Antonio under Greg Popovich too there the hammert So yeah, great.
Speaker 2: Awesome, all right, Clarkson all of us taking him for the leader right now as six man of the Year because I agree with you, guys. No to add on to Bouche and what he's doing off the bench for the Raptors. He leads the league in true shooting percentage and offensive reading. Right, Chris Bouche, wild wild times we're living in here in twenty twenty one. All right, Rookie of the Year. I'll get a started with this. I think it's pretty cool. First off, how many rookies are making like an impact right now. And now I don't know if that's maybe a little bit because of COVID and all like these like guys missing time and with the health and safety protocols, and maybe there's more minutes, more opportunities for some of these rooks to get in there. But a lot of guys are like contributing. And we have never here on no dunks pretended to be draft experts, but it does seem and correct me if I'm wrong. Guys like this rookie class is already a little bit better than most expected. We have fourteen rookies I think it is that are slash were because Killy and Hayes is now out with an injury. Averaging over twenty minutes per game. That's pretty significant. So a lot of guys contributing. But my top three Warriors rookie James Wiseman at number three. You know, the numbers will not wow you. Actually, with all of these guys, the number aren't going to be like, whoa, that guy's like a twenty ten already. It's not like that this year with these rookies, but they're impactful. Wiseman has impressed obviously being the starter there for the Golden State Warriors and helping he's out. He has some duds, but then he has some great games where he's like, oh yeah, you could see why this guy was such a high pick. He could be a you know, a building block. And number two because of his impact. Probably the most impactful rookie, Tyrese Haliburton with the Kings, fortunately hasn't translated into a ton of win for the Kings, but he helps them. He definitely helps watch the watch sacrament of Kings basketball when he's out there averaging eleven three and five. But number one, I'm going with the Hornets rookie LaMelo Ball. He's averaging twelve seven and six. He leads the rookies in win shares, so he's actually having an impact on the w's Now he's only shooting forty percent from the field and still like pretty abysmal for a guard, sixty eight percent from the line, but he's hitting over a three and a half per game and it's thirty three percent. You know that you want to get that a little bit higher, but he could. And he's just getting more minutes here in the new year, he's getting twenty seven minutes per game. Brego is trusting him more and more, and he's a human highlight film. Money's out there. He must watch televis. So it's close. I don't know if you guys agreed disagree who you have number one? But I got Ball, then Haliburton and then Wiseman, and you could obviously play what about this guy? I think with this rookie class, but tasts, what do you think do you have ball number one.
Speaker 3: MM, you're a wise man, but I think you should put James first. James Wiseman. Yeah, I think it's tough to be a center in this league right out the gate. The Mell's got the ball.
Speaker 2: Well, no, it's more difficult to be a point guard in this league, right, Yeah, he's playing a point guard.
Speaker 6: Would say the big man defense is the hardest thing to learn in the NBA.
Speaker 5: But I'm sure you're right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he doesn't play much anyway, It is a toss up. This draft class is phenomenal so far. There's no there isn't one standout. It's sort of like the MVP minus fifteen points per game, but there's like a billion that you can you can talk about Haliburton. He was injured. I guess that plays a role. But anyway, those guys, yeah, they have impressed coming out the gate. We talked about this whole this draft class for one three thirty. Well, is there is there a Camp miss prospect. No, there wasn't a campus prospect. But they're all, you know, playing fairly well here to start this season. So it's been a pleasant.
Speaker 2: Surprise, including the number one pick Anthony Edwards. So I think who has impressed some people, at least Patrick Williams obviously the Florists, and Chicago's played well, there's a ton like obviously some knicks as well. Yeah, who do you have? Leley?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 2: At number one? Do you go Wiseman, do you go Bald? You got somebody else?
Speaker 4: No, I'm going LaMelo ball to I can excuse the shooting for rookies because hardly any rookies come out there and start shooting high percentages or decent percentages straight away. It takes a few years to work on that. But Mello's doing the rebounds seven a game, six assists the game, and he's lived up to the hype. And I think that's the hardest thing to do for a rookie, because all rookies a hype to some degree. But LaMelo not coming from college, you know, playing down in Australia. It was like, well, he's playing in a lesser league, but he's playing against men, so will that help him?
Speaker 5: Will that hurt him?
Speaker 4: I think he's gone out there, he's come off the bench, he's accepted that role and he's not afraid to take those shots either. He again, he's not shooting it great, but he's like, listen, if I'm open, I'm gonna take it. So I like that about him. I think he's been very, very important for the Hornets so far. Wiseman has been good. Wiseman probably started off a little bit better than Mellow, but I think Mellow has just gotten a little bit more comfortable the last couple of games. So I would have Mellow, Wiseman, and either Redwoods or Halliburton, probably Edwards. I suppose number three, but hey, yeah, you know you're you're fanangling the numbers a little bit there anyway, So it's really down to one and two, and I think it's lamellow ball right now.
Speaker 6: TK talk rook, so you got I got the same exact ballad as you, Skeets wise minute three. I do think he's probably playing the most important minutes playing as a center of the most important defensive spot on the basketball courters. You guys know I love defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, well you're switching it up now. I thought you didn't care about.
Speaker 6: Defense, Skeets. I'm giving you the backstory here. I did win MIP in high school senior year as I played defense. I hate to say I played defense. I was rebounded, I was taking jog as I was setting screened. When you're the tallest guy in the school, Why do you think I hate defense? I hate him doing my whole life.
Speaker 3: Let me shoot pat.
Speaker 6: Anyways, so I got him at number three, But him playing these important minutes is huge, right, Like he's playing on a team that has championship aspirations. They're probably not getting to the finals this year, but this is a team that is a championship organization. They've got Steph Curry, They've got Draymond Green. What he's doing is impressive for a guy who is super young to have to actually step into a playoff situation. Palli Burton is the guy that every team wants. He's the next andre Iguidala to me, from a connectivity standpoint, they don't play the same, but just the extra juice he gives you on the court, the ability to do anything you need and the ability to keep the ball moving and make the right decision. Incredible from a rookie. But LaMelo is the guy. He is a star. He's a building block. He's leading rookies in points, rebounds, assists, and steals and he needs to play more. Start him already. What are you waiting for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we could get an awful close to that trivia question with the rookie class, can you name the guy of all the rookies who play is the most minutes per game? It's not anyone we've said, Sorry, who'd you say, Trey, No, it's nobody we've mentioned. No, no, no, the guy that went top five. I'll give you that. So there's a hell of a giveaway.
Speaker 6: Okay, who is the fifth draft remember any more?
Speaker 3: A Coro?
Speaker 2: I think that's right, Isaac A Coral thirty seven point four minutes per game, which seems like what it seems almost like an error run basketball reference. But yeah, gets a lot of burn from them out there. They're like, what you can do? Contribute on both ends? He's been all right too, he'd be in the mix, is well, I guess I'm getting out here. But again, like definitely uh quickly for the Knicks. Is impressed, Peyton Pritchard for the Celtics, and we're gonna do that. Cole Anthony We've talked about a little bit, so there's been a lot, so it's been pretty impressive. But yeah, who's the star who will be? Like that's a fun question. Who will be the guy from this rookie class in five years, Like, is it is Lamello? Is it Wiseman, is it Edwards? Is it Patrick Williams? I mean, I can talk myself into any of those guys being them, to be honest, So let's just from hear it. Yeah, he's played well. I wanted to get Williams in there. He has played really well for them. I think, all right, defensive player of the year Lee talk defense. We almost gave this one to Trey just to anger it.
Speaker 4: I sort of wish you did give it to train in the end, because when I dug into this one last night, I went down a rabbit hole and I was like, I shouldn't have volunteered to do this one because because the Lakers have the best defensive rating in the league right now, then it's the Cavs and the Knicks, and I'm like, okay, come on, that can't be right. Then you got the Grizzlies, Okay, the seventy six is fine. Okay, that's a good defensive team. Then you still got the Mavericks. Remember they started off the season pretty hot, So I'm like, okay.
Speaker 2: This must be the jazz around there.
Speaker 5: Then around the Jazz and next in seventh.
Speaker 4: But okay, I'll start at number three on my Defensive Player of the Year leader board. I'm going with Miles Turner.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: He's largely here because he's averaging a massive four point two blocks per game. Now, he probably would be higher on other leaderboards because people will sort of look at those defensive stats and say, wow, well he must be doing well, he must be great defensive player. The paces are only thirteenth in defensive rating, though, and the more I looked into I thought, I don't even know if he's their best defensive player. I think at Sibonus, the numbers say Sibonis they're better when he's on the bench, and I'm like, that doesn't jive with what I'm seeing out Come on, come on. And also Myles Turner. I'm reluctant also to put him higher because his pick and roll defense has improved, but it still needs needs work. So he's getting the stats. So he gets in there at number three.
Speaker 2: Okay, and he's out right now with an injury. Of course he needed there with an injury.
Speaker 5: With the hand injury.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at number two of my Defensive Player of the Year leader board.
Speaker 5: I'm going with Kawhi.
Speaker 4: Leonard, now fourth in Steel's third in total plus minus in the league. When he's on the court, no surprise, the Clippers are much better at both ends of the floor, but they have the equivalent equivalent of about the third best D in the league. And when he sits, it's pretty much as bad as the Kings, the Wizards, Bulls, Wolves, Blazers. So clearly Kawi Leonard. He's won this award before twice. I think he's a two time defensive Player of the Year. But the Clippers D in total is only fifteenth in the league. But when he's out there, they are a much better team, and the Clippers have quietly improved after a bit of a sluggish start. His team lost by fifty points though as well. So I can't give a guy, you know, to defensive player of the Year when you lose that by that much at home. But at number one, Sketsy, you might get angry here, but anyway, I've got I've got to go with it defensive number one.
Speaker 5: On my Defensive Player of.
Speaker 4: The Year leader bought, I'm going with Rudy Gobert, but it probably should actually be Mike Conley because when Mike.
Speaker 2: Cutts Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 5: Mate, you got to listen.
Speaker 4: When Mike Conley's on the court, the Jazz have the best d in the league by a mile, and when he sits second worst. But I'm going with Rudy Gobert because you know the numbers.
Speaker 3: Because it's a good listen.
Speaker 4: He has more work to do short than Mike Conley. But I think the Jazz seventh best defensive team in the league, and Rudy Gobert does lead the league in defensive field goal percentagele that's how geeky do you want to get with these stuff?
Speaker 2: He's like, Rudy Golbert is the king of the advanced defensiveness exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: But again that the numbers will tell you. For the Jazz, Mike Conley is their most impactful defensive player. I know the eye test, Man, It's different, isn't it. You know, You're like, Wow, who would you rather have out there protecting the paint? Mike Mike Conley on the on the perimeter.
Speaker 6: But Mike Conley has played all but fifty minutes this season alongside Rudy go The reason his defensive reading is so good is because he's on the court with Rudy Gobert.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, but I don't think we we we give him the credit that he deserves. He's a very good defensive player, Mike Conley.
Speaker 2: But Okay, I'm fine, I can agree with that, but I wouldn't say he's the better.
Speaker 4: I know, I know, I'm going with Rudy Gobert, but I'm just saying again, when you when you dig into these numbers and you just go, oh my god, like like Conley's like the best defense in the league by a mile when he's out on court, not with Rudy. It's not the same case with Ruby. So the Jazz seventh in the league and defense, you know, you always expect them to be somewhere in that top five mix. So I think that will improve because again I don't see the cads in the Knicks staying there all season long. Right, Okay, does have an impact, But yeah, I'm going with Rudy Gobert. But I'm like, Mike Conley sort of is going to be the one presenting him.
Speaker 2: With that award.
Speaker 6: Rudy, at least if he wins it, he should let Mike Conley carry the war around it'll be his third one. It's like, all right, man, just carried around, you've never made an All Star team. You can hang onto my trophy.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The shocking part herely to me is not that you have Rudy Gobert number one. It's maybe who you have to at two and three or who you didn't have at two and three. I think Anthony Davis would still warrant a lot of defensive player of the reports and a Joelle embiid as we talked about. So, okay, Tash, what do you think of Lee's list there? And you can touch on coldly if.
Speaker 6: You want to.
Speaker 3: I mean, let's just throw it at LEAs. You got to stop looking at defensive stats. You got you went into the trade machine this year. Just just start with that. Man, This is a this is a lot too for you. Miles Cerner is a great defender. I think he could he could be at the top. But Anthony Davis is leading a Lakers defense that is number one in the league by a pretty good amount, which is shocking to me. Anthony Davis is not having a great offensive year by his standards whatsoever, But him and Lebron have somehow got everybody on that team to play defense, even though they lost Avery Bradley, who was the starter for much of the year, they lost Danny Green, they lost Dwight Howard, and then they stopped in some some good defenders, some not so good defenders, and they've got the number one defense. I think a d would probably get it. If you look back and see that Giannis won it last year with the number one defense, you know it sure seems like Anthony Davis would be given that nod this year, and he was pretty close last year as well. So yeah, I did not volunteer for this award because I don't like looking at defensive numbers. I don't think they mean all that much. It's it's really just about impacting the game. And yeah, is really really good, but they should be even better. And Miles Turner is really really good. I think they should be even better. So yeah, I think just even looking at the best defensive teams is probably the most important metric to look at.
Speaker 6: What do you got TK, Well, I actually got Myles Turner as my number one because I love looking at the stats. This is actually the worst award because you got to look at the stats. He is by far the best rim protector in the league. Right now, the Pacers have the league best defense when he's on the court. He's also averaging a steal and a half as a big guy, four point two blocks, leading the league, and the lowest defensive field goal percentage at the rim while challenging the most shots at the rim. Rim defense is the biggest part of defense in the NBA because a dunk is still the best shot in basketball, so if you're able to deter them, then that's good. The only knock on Turner is that he doesn't rebound, but Demanta Sabonis does rebound. Lee like you're saying, you would maybe think that Demonta Sabonis is the best defender on the Pacers, but he's not very good at the rim. To be quite honest, the other guys I would have in the mix jowel Embiid. He gives you the rebounding that Turner doesn't, and the pace are The Sixers have been good, and Rudy Gobert obviously still elite, but I've got Embiid at number two over Rudy o'bert because Embiid doesn't have a lockdown guy like Mike Conley out there helping him.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, I like everybody getting all these guys in here, I go Rudy Gobert. I actually think he's sort of running away with it at the one month in mark. Although all these other guys are phenomenal defenders Turner Davis, Embiid, yes, Mike Conley as well, but you know, Rudy second best defensive rating, second most defensive win share, second most blocks, third most rebounds, and like that's his role, his goal. Like what I love about these Rudy Gobert lines you're seeing from all these Jazz wins is like, not Rudy eighteen twenty twenty two points, It's like thirteen points, and then there's twelve thirteen rebounds, and then it's like three blocks, and then we know how much he just deters as well. And yeah, you're right, the Jazz team defense feels like it should be higher, like, but seventh is still good. And I'm sure if we really, you know, dig into it, like I don't have it in front of you, what's the gap between the second best defense in the league and the seventh best defense in the league this early the season. I'm sure it's pretty close, though, I do agree with I think Task said at the Lakers are sort of a you know, a marginal or not marginally quite impressively a little bit better than whoever's in second. But I go, Rudy Gobert, let's hear from you. Guys. No one wanted that award. That was the last one filled in in our document.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I asked Tasser Lee, who wants it? And Lee put up his little emoticon hand. So I was like, Okay, I guess Lee's into it. I knew Task was avoiding it. He was like, I don't want to do this. I didn't want to do it, obviously, but I signed up.
Speaker 6: For Coach of the Year rather than talk about.
Speaker 4: Well that's the thing though, with defense, I think it is more about sort of eye test and feel. It's like they are just a better defense than this. That's necessarily right.
Speaker 2: Because like look at Andre Drummond. Look at Andre Drummond's defensive numbers. Yeah, okay, and you just got Downe talking about the Casby and one of the best defensive teams. He leaves like rebounding by a mile. Yeah, he's got tons of blocks and steels. I mean, he's a decent defender. But we don't even We hadn't even included him in the conversation here, so what up with that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Larry Nance Junior, I believe leads the league in total steals and deflections. Right, you wouldn't know one's saying Larry Nance Junior is in contentent of defense.
Speaker 5: We play of the year.
Speaker 4: But he's doing this counting numbers and it's having an impact on his team.
Speaker 3: And Isaac accorro leads the league in minutes played per game for rookies. Nobody's talking about.
Speaker 5: And the six man's up to twenty seven.
Speaker 2: Again, we're gonna win the championship. Yes, we have determined that. Okay, well, maybe the camps are in running for Coach of the Year. That's our final award, Trey, you wanted this over defensive Player of the Year.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about guys in well, I was gonna say suits, but they're not in suits, wear polos.
Speaker 6: So yeah, let's talk about guys in quarter zips. Let's talk about guys named Steve who often wear corner zips. Let me tell you, for personal experience, Coach of the Year candidates number three for me? You know it, Billy Donovan. The holes made one change in the offseason. They brought in a new coach. They said it's time for Billy ball, and now we all recognize that the balls are one hundred totally and fully back. Their record could be even better than it is. But there are so many guys that you could put into this number three spot for teams that have kind of exceeded expectations. My number two on the ballot, Taylor Jenkins of the Memphis Grizzlies, talked about it on Wednesday's show, My biggest surprise of the season. So far, they've gotten five games from Jaw and Jaron. They're seven and six, playing as a top five defense, and I think defensive coaches get a lot of cred in the Coach of the Year voting because it's all about scheme and it's all about buy in. Both of those things are a factor for Taylor Jenkins. Here. Everybody's playing hard and they're forcing a whole bunch of turnovers. It's working in Memphis or as that song goes, well, Gonay mayl fizz. But my number one by a mile, Doc Rivers is coach of the Year for me right now. The best record in the Eastern Conference. More importantly, it looks like he made sense of this roster pretty quickly. They've been a ragtag bunch. They've had Embiden, Simmons and Harris there for the majority of it. Embiiden Harris look particularly unlocked. Doc Rivers just seems to know how to get the best out at Tobias. Harris has n't making quick decisions, has him getting good shots and moving the ball, and Embiid, like we talked about, is an MVP candidate. The last piece the puzzle will be figuring out how to get the best from Ben Simmons. But Doc Revers has figured things out so far the first month of the season, so I have some confidence you'll get the best out of Ben Simmons as the season progresses.
Speaker 2: Lee, what do you think? This one's a tough one? I think because there's so many teams that feel like they're eight and six or seven and seven that you may be heading into the season you're like, ah, they might be like at this point in the year, like lucky to have four wins, right, So what do you think of Trey's less and then who you would have?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I like that list.
Speaker 4: I like Jenkins because I think they really did so well when John Moran was out, and of course they haven't had Jaron Jackson junior.
Speaker 5: So I think that's really important.
Speaker 4: I think the Doc Rivers bump is like, Okay, he's got the sixers playing to that level. It's like, can you unlock this talent? Can you get them to work together? The offense has looked so much better than it has in years gone by, so I think he deserves credit for that. Then it comes down to, like, Frank Vogel didn't win it last year for the Lakers, But if the Lakers win, let's say they win sixty games this year, how can did he not be Coach of the Year, you know, because it's not like, well he got it last year, like coach Budenholz is not going to get it even if the Milwaukee Bucks win from here on out, He's just not going to get it. But I think someone like Frank vogue could just be like, well, let's just give it to him, you know, why not? I mean, he's got the Lakers playing really well, ty Lu's got the Clippers playing really well as well. And what does this award? Is this award about improvement over last season? A new coach in a new situation or is it just like, let's just give it to this guy like Nate Bjorkrin. You know the faces.
Speaker 5: They're surprising as well, and.
Speaker 4: They've lost their last couple. They were eight four, they got off to a good start. So so many coaches have a different storyline or a narrative that they could choose. I think ultimately, though, because Vogel didn't win it last year, his record could put him in the box seat to win it.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you didn't go with one of your two favorite teams in like a bigger staff with the Calves or TIBs with the next I mean there's a five hundred teams right now that not a lot of people expect it.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'll get to the Knicks when we talk about the games a little bit there later on. But yeah, look they've had an improvement and Bickerstaff has got the Cavs playing exciting basketball as well. Will even out his stein it though, that's the question.
Speaker 2: Task Coach of the Year take us home? Who do you have the top year leader board?
Speaker 3: Mm? You guys named all the coaches. I think if Nate Jorkrin didn't lose Miles Turner, his best defender. Last couple of games, everybody be singing a little bit of a different tune for Nate Jorkrin because he really has those guys playing. They they have impressed me a lot. And so yeah, you named them all though, and we've got a top ten coach of the year ballot. That's uh. I don't think we just like, say, Nate Yorkrin's name as well.
Speaker 2: It's a good name, great name, because if we're naming Doc Rivers in helping the Sixers, oh, you can maybe argue they were helped out with the personnel they brought in to add a little more shooting around them. So maybe Executive of the Year to Mary there. But whatever, what about Tyleru with Doc's old team, they're damn good too. And he's the new coach. There's the new voice. I think they're playing a little more fun. But no one wants to talk about the Clippers. Everyone's done talking about them more. We're waiting until the playoffs with them.
Speaker 3: But also pretty awesome last year in the regular season.
Speaker 2: I know they were, but you know so, I mean, I guess, yeah, the Sixer did disappoint they weren't. It's not like they were out of the playoffs, so they were still winning games. But I hear you that's fine, it's your list, dock at the top. Let's hear from you guys out there. That worked really well. I think going to our top three candids. So let's hear from you guys in the stream team and tweet at us at no dunk's inkor Okay, well, let's get through those games from last night. Only three on taskt has started. Lebron and the Lakers opened a long trip here by beating the Bucks one thirteen, one oh six.
Speaker 3: Big takeaway, Well, the Lakers can do whatever they want. That's the biggest takeaway. When it came down to the last few minutes, Lebron said, all right, I'm taking over now. A part of that is the Milwaukee Bucks. And we've talked about the Lakers already. Their defense is phenomenal. They know who the heck they are when it comes down to winning time. Everybody just hang around and watched Lebron do his thing. They're great. The Bucks, on the other hand, they're not causing fear and another team whatsoever. They keep winning games, they definitely do. But when it comes down to crunch time, when it comes down to playing really, really good teams. The other team on the other side thinks that they can win. I think that's that's just the way it works. They believe that if they find something that works, that Mike Bunenholzer isn't going to change enough in his scheme to adapt. And it keeps showing through. They just can't find a way to beat these great teams. Now, Chris Middleton has the ball more in his hands than Yannis does at the end of games, which is kind of like the playoff last year, which is probably the better recipe. But I think when it comes down to it, Drew Holliday needs to get it more. When it comes down to it, it's just guys who can make shots. And Giannis isn't a creator when it comes down to the last few minutes. He's got to play second man's or third man. And they've got to figure this out. Now, they've got to figure this out before they get to the postseason. They just need more bucket makers. And so yeah, they can just like in a game, they'll get down to the last few minutes, they'll beat the bad teams. Just like in the regular season. They're gonna win a lot of games, but when it comes down to the postseason, this was this was exactly what we saw with the Miami Heat last year. The Heat figured it out. Bucks couldn't adapt and Lebron just kept getting switches good night. I mean even Montrez Harrald in the post kept getting switches good night. It's just too easy. And then the offensive end doesn't worry too like like I mentioned, so just just scared, scared for the Buck's future. But the Lakers are obviously, yeah number one with the bullet they're awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Lakers offense there for a good stretch down in the fourth there was like post up Trez, post up ad the double has to come. It's going to come because there's a smaller Bucks player on them, and then those guys are just gonna kick it to KCP in the corner or Caruso wide open in the corner right Trey. Like it felt like that happened like four or five times. And good on Vogel and Lebron and the Lakers for going back to back to back to back. Just keep running into the ground because, as Tass said, boonholes are slow to adapt or switch up the defense, like maybe try something else, you know, Like I think in that instance, I always think of someone like Nick Nurse might try something else there. Let's go zone or let's drop back in coverage and let's not switch so easily. But what did you think?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it was that halftime of this game, right that Shaq said the big man is back, and we were talking about, Wow, this is great, this is a I love seeing all these big bodies banging down. But yeah, you're right, And honestly, the Bucks should watch the tape of the Lakers and see how they're getting the ball into the post every time, because Jannis did have a nice post bucket there in the fourth quarter, hit like a little fade away sort of dink or dumper from probably nine or ten feet, And that's how he's got to get involved on the offensive end when it comes down to clutch time, because he doesn't strike fear in people's hearts with regards to having the ball on the perimeter when it's the fourth quarter. It seemed like the Lakers decided we're gonna try and take a charge on Giannis every single time he comes into the into the lane, and that seems to be the recipe for how you stop him, because if you're if you're just waiting for him, if you're building the wall there, you're either gonna get sent him to the free throw line where he has struggled, or you're gonna get the call, you're gonna the charge, and it's going back down the other way. There's got to be other ways to get Giannis involved. Offensively, he's a pretty solid passer. I don't He's not Lebron passing, as we all know that's his greatest strength. But you still got to be able to get him the ball in the post. Let him go to work, let him get some buckets because he's your MVP. And yeah, I agree that Middleton has been ball and he's been cooking. He's the best option for the Bucks. And also it would be nice to get Drew Holliday involved. But there's a reason that Yannis is the MVP. The guy can be automatic when he's in the post. Maybe he needs a little bit more booty to be able to displace people because he's still tall, He's got a high center of gravity, especially with those giant shoulders. I think that there is opportunities for Giannis to be an even better post player. But I don't know, it doesn't seem like that's going to be happening right now. The good thing for the Bucks is that, yeah, it's scary for the future with regards to this season. Maybe they don't win the title, but at least Yannas signed before the season, because if this was the case right now, if you just saw him lose to the Nets and Lakers and back to back in a back to back scenario, that would be really scary.
Speaker 3: Hours.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. Yeah, Lakers did a good job of keeping Unis off the free throw line last night, even though you want to put them there at times. Ley he only had four free throw attempts, hit two of them, and he had nine turnovers too, so you know, obviously you want to shore up that. But what did you think from this game?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would be very concerned about the Bucks because in those two big games, as you mentioned, they're trade Nets and Lakers. The Nets they won the game. It was a close game, of course, but I didn't feel this one last night was actually particularly close. I felt the Lakers were in complete control of this game because well sort of, it was incredible.
Speaker 2: It got to a two point game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like they made They did make a push there. But then the Lakers answer. And one guy who I have been critical of the past, who's having actually an incredible season for the Lakers is KCP. He is very very important for them offensively and defensively. The numbers right now, you know, eleven points a game, he's shooting fifty five percent from the field, fifty seven percent from three. Now, he doesn't do a tonails in terms of the actual stats, but I think defensively, they know they've got a guys like go and defend this guy. Put you on this guy, rotate around and if he's he knocks down that shot every time. He's really more comfortable in his role. He's grown, he's matured as a player and become a very sort of quietly important player for what they do. They can rely on him now and that's something they couldn't do in the past. So I think that's important. But I felt particularly in the second half, and again, you know, when we're talking about MVPs this morning, watching Lebron last night, I'm like that that is kind of how I still feel about Lebron. He's not scared at all of the Bucks, not at all. I don't think he's concerned that they could take him down in a seven game series, because as good as Yannis is, he still forces it a little bit too much on the offensive end, and teams like the Lakers will say, if you go inside, yeah that's a handful, You're a handful inside. But we'll live with your shooting the ball anytime you want. We'll just live with that right now. And the Lakers instead, they have guys who can hit those threes, and it just feels like the Lakers have that confidence that they're not intimidated by the Milwaukee Bucks so early in the season. Still time to improve, but a couple of warriorsome side. Hasn't been a great week here for the Bucks.
Speaker 2: No lak A shot nineteen to thirty seven from three coldwell Pope had seven of them. Lebron had six. Quick trivia, what's the career high for Lebron? Most three is made in the game? I my man, Leelis did eight a couple times in his career. Yeah, six is a lot for Lebron, like and it's it's uh, he's added it though. He is feeling comfortable with that three point shot right now. He is it's money right now. I will say to you if you were, if you were holding out hope that Giannis could go back to back to back for MVP, It's not a chance not held. There was no chance at the start of the season. Tried telling you about it. But if you were still holding out hope, I think last night it's gone. It's it's just this. I don't care what he does from here on now. There's no way he's doing it. He's still awesome. He's still awesome.
Speaker 4: When Lebron gets that little struck going at that sort of top left hand side, that left wing where he sort of rubs his shirt, and it's like, oh, yeah, I am just gonna I might step back into three, I might drive inside, but it doesn't really matter what you guys do. I'm just gonna do something here that's disrespectful. That's like Lebron, you know, twirling the ball again.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, as a fans, we're well aware of Lebron, Yeah, wiping his body or spinning the ball or yeah, looking like this, he's going to be easy. Yeah, okay, next game here. Donovan Mitchell helps the Jazz beat the Pelicans for a seventh straight win. Trey Big Tickaway.
Speaker 6: Well, as predicted, the Jazz, we're going to go on a huge winning streak and we're gonna start talking about him, Like you said, Skeet's seven straight right now, thanks the huge games from Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley. Mitchell, that guy was magnificent last night. He's got every shot, he's got every pass, and at his best, he finds the balance between the two of them and he's in control. And that's what it's been for a lot of this season. He's still an explosive score, but I feel like he's just his decision making in his control of the game has gotten a lot better. Mike Conley is giving the Jazz exactly what people expected last season. He's another playmaker, he's another scorer, and the team is taking a ton of threes. With Bogdanovian back. Clearly there's an emphasis on getting more attempts up there. Taking forty one a game this year thirty five a game last year. Maybe you put Quinn Snyder in the Coach of the Year. Yeah, conversation, just for that little change, they're saying, Hey, we can shoot some jumpers. Let's make them three point jumpers. They're going in right now. They've been one of the best three point shooting teams in the league, and that opened things up for Rudy Gobert to just dunk inside whenever he needs to. Mitchell was awesome, but afterwards it was all about what people were saying about Donovan Mitchell as tests went into on what you need to know earlier today, just a completely unnecessary conversation. The man had twenty one points in the first half and we're trying to decide if he's going to be a top five player for the rest of his career. Why literally why?
Speaker 2: I think we'll We'll get to that probably and worse of the week coming up here, Yah shack, it's the post game with Donovan Mitchell. Crazy a good win from the Jazz. Mike Conley, you're a defensive Player of the Year candidate league after the game said, our ability to turn up our energy level a couple of notches, especially defensively, is making the difference. Because they did turn it up in this game, and they have a couple times here where they just like it's like suddenly just like you can't score on them, and that helps out those huge runs.
Speaker 4: So you know, the Pelly's putting out forty three in that first Yeah, that's I mean, the Jazz almost wouldn't give up that many more for the rest of the game, you know, I mean when I really locked down. I mean, the Repelicans have some offensive weapons, but their defense right now is need some.
Speaker 2: Work task, anything to add to this one.
Speaker 3: The Pelicans got a lot of things to work on. Yeah, they came back with a forty three point first quarter because they played a baseball doubleheader. That happens game two. It's just like a series. In a playoff series, Game two, a team comes back, but man, Eric Blitzo and Lonzo Ball stopped going to the rim after the first quarter, and they've got some serious shooting problems. The Jazz know who they are. The Pellies are still learning. So it's tough in the Western Conference. Man, it's just tough. You got a great Zion Williamson, but you need some guard.
Speaker 2: Play final game from last night, RJ. Barrett scores twenty eight as the Knicks beat the Warriors for their third straight victory. Knicks are five hundred lately, eight and eight here sixteen games in Again, RJ. Barrett's been cooking over his last five He's averaging like twenty two points per game, shooting really really well, what's your big take away from this one?
Speaker 4: So the Knicks r eight and eight. They've won three in a row, they lost five in a row, and now they've won three again. So they're a little bit up and down, but their defense has improved clearly. Right now, will that be the way the entire season? I'm not so sure, but very very good so far. Two big talking points though, really for this one. The first one, Obi Toppin had two dunks, and the comparisons to how he looks to a Muri Startama are just incredible. The way that he goes up there dunks and then he just the way he runs down he wears that number one. It's like he does look like baby Amari out there. But of course, the big talking point really is the ejection of Draymond Green in the second quarter there for yelling at his teammate James Wiseman, and the referee thought he was yelling at him, hit him with his second tea and he got ejected. Now the Warriors, obviously we're not happy with that.
Speaker 5: Steve Kerr tried.
Speaker 4: To challenge the ejection, but then Steve Kerr said after the game that the ref said, okay, that was a mistake. Yeah, I didn't realize that. This is something I think the NBA needs to look at, like when a guy gets ejected and he's obviously out for the rest of the game. But if then they admit at halftime they made the mistake with a minute to go in that second half, in the second quarter, why not say, okay, we rescind it, we bring it back into the game. I mean, now, Steve Kerr didn't use this as an excuse. He said we were playing badly anyway. We lost that game. We deserve to lose. He didn't say we lost because of the ejection or point at the rest. But it's so disappointing to me that the rest can make such a mistake that can have such an impact on a game and not be able to correct it even when they acknowledge it, with still time to be able to correct that mistake, because we you know, with coaches challenges and in the last two minutes, you can challenge things and you can get the call right. Well, this would have only cost him just over a minute. Why not just put your hand up and say okay, yeah, we got that wrong. Sorry, it was a young referee too, so that's just a bit of a concern. Again, the Warriors aren't using this as an excuse for losing the game, but I think there's a way to get this call right and to sort of acknowledge that the referees made a wrong, costly decision.
Speaker 3: But it was fun to watch, especially in an empty arena where you can always hear Draymond Green talk, but in an empty arena, it was bouncing off the walls like many people in their zoom rooms right now. It was just it was echoing, like I turned up the volume to make sure I heard what I heard, Like he's he yelled at James Wiseman is pissed that Wiseman didn't seal off his defender and he turned the ball over and it looked like, yeah, he was yelling in the direction of Wiseman, but the ref was right there. That was weird. It was. It was It was so so strange, like the referee must have known, like Steph, like they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, everyone was like, he wasn't yelling at you, like everybody, Here's what I think what you're saying is a little extremely Like they admitted the mistake at halftime. The better like way to handle that, I think would have been for the referees just to come together there and sort of talk it out and go, Yeah, Draymond Green never shuts up. He's always yelling at people. I don't think he you know, was he yelling at you?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think it was John Butler, I think was the official that actually tossed him, a second year official like, and he maybe would have been like a maybe he wasn't, you know, Like, I think they just should have maybe talked it over a little bit more and said, Okay, that was a mistake, you're good, let's just play ball here. In my opinion, But you know, at the same time, if Draymond doesn't pick up his first technical for just you know, arguing with the officials too long, that was what the first one was for, right, It wasn't because he was yelling at someone else on the floor, on one of his teammates. You know, Well, that's sort of the game you're playing here. With the way you go about it, you might accidentally get one and then you've really hurt your team. So I think they should have just got together though, and really with reasoning, said Okay, Yeah, he wasn't yelling at me. He's yelling at James Wiseman, who he's always yelling at.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean we see it though as well. They almost never.
Speaker 4: I don't think rescind a technical fail even when sometimes you've seen a bad goal, a player will say, hey, that's a bad call, the repay, the replay will clearly show a bad coal and the referee will still give you a technical foul for that, and it's like, well that should be rescinded to in that case as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can I give you a technical foul though if you just like use vulgar language, even if it's not directed at me, can that be considered unspontsedly?
Speaker 4: I mean, you see, Kelly you break getting a technical foul for blowing a kiss to his opponent.
Speaker 2: So I would want it, Yeah, I would see Yeah, if you really want to. You think that's on sports alike?
Speaker 4: Sure, but it's one thing, you know, Jeff van Gundy complains a lot about everything, but that's one thing he's right on, is like you you compound the mistake if you give a guy a technical foul for when you made a bad or wrong call that was clearly wrong. I think that's something the NBA should be able to at least say, Okay, yeah, we made the mistake. The referees made the mistake. It's okay to admit that rather than, like I said, in this case last night, the referees got it wrong and it cost Draymon half a game. So I think you can I think there is middle ground here where you can fix a problem like that.
Speaker 3: Also, the next are good. Yeah, just throw that in there.
Speaker 2: I think a Draymond Green plays in this game, the next still might win this one.
Speaker 4: We probably do. And again that's Steve Kerr didn't say we lost because of that. So with no one's no one's giving disrespect to the Knicks. They played a great game, but you know a guy got sent out for half the game and the second best player on the team over the wrong call.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm yeah, anything to add here, uh, Trey, I hate referees, Yeah, Raymond, get him out of here.
Speaker 6: But there are guys who get reputation technicals. And that's exactly what this was. Was Draymond. He was yelling like task was breaking down on what you need to know. Was he yelling at Tom Thibodeau? It did look like maybe they were gonna throw down. But yeah, I mean we've seen it happen with Boogie before. Even when Draymond was suspended for a game after the Steven Adams nutkick, the only reason he actually was suspended was because he picked up that crazy technical or flagrant with Michael Beasley in the first round against the Rockets. Remember, like he threw him at the end of the game for literally no reason. It just comes back to haunt you eventually. But relax, James Butler, I don't like knowen referee Jons. I didn't even John Butler. Oh James Butler is Jimmy Butler's brother. Yeah, but John Butler get out of here, man, Just chill out out. You're right, Skeates, have a little conversation. Talk to the Hey, were you yelling at me? No, I was yelling at James. Fine, carry on, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because like Tat said, like everybody on the floor, like immediately, like he wasn't yelling at you, like Steph Curry, the voice of reason. I mean, I know it's his teammate, he's gonna want to keephim out there, but even in Steph, it's like I feel like he's a trustworthy guy. I think if Steph had seen Draymond actually yell. I got John Butler, He's like, you idiot, what are you doing? Like, just shut up, you already got one tech but he was like, no, he wasn't yelling at you. He's yelling at the rookie man. This is what he does. I do have a trivia question off of this, the real quick one. Green's eleventh career ejection. Okay, guys, for the third most in the NBA since he made his debut in twenty twelve. Can you name the two guys who have more ejections since twenty twelve during that span Boogie Boogie Cousins. Yeah, Trey already threw him in there before I even asked the question. It was fantastic. He's number one with thirteen and this guy's got twelve.
Speaker 4: You can get dwy Dwight Howard No, no, no, no, Westbrook Nope.
Speaker 6: I know he's always high on technicals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, technically is an ejection? Pat Beverly Nope, Nope. He's a bigger guy. You know, he's like a power forward guy, small forward, power forward, and well there's I mean, maybe I don't want to give it away too much. Well, let's just say there's basically two of them.
Speaker 3: Oh Mars Mars Mars, Marris.
Speaker 2: Yea or Kith Morris. So twelve cousins with thirteen and that was Green's eleventh career rejection. I'm not sure if that counts the playoffs though, so who knows. All right, final piece of news here, just quick. Calves have agreed to trade Kevin Porter Junior to the Houston Rockets for a heavily protected future second round pick. I mean heavily protected. It's like top fifty five protected, meaning that it probably will never even convey. So it was sort of for nothing, but that's fine. We knew the Caves were moving on from him, they were gonna wave them or trade them, and they got maybe something, you know, a pick in the second round at the end, possibly, But this is good. I like the team that Kevin Porter Junior is going to here. I know others have pointed this out. The Rockets intend to have assistant coach John Lucas work closely with this kid, and that's good because Lucas has helped several NBA some NFL players to overcome personal issues to have successful careers. You know, he did so himself, John Lucas, so he you know, speaks from my experience here. So I like that that makes sense, and like, why wouldn't you do this if you're the Rockets. I think this is like fantastic for them potentially if Kevin Porter Junior can get everything else, not really even the basketball skills in check. I don't know if there's anything to add Lelee or not in your head. I feel like you feel the same way. Yes, okay, let's get to worst of the week, ladies.
Speaker 3: And gentlemen, the worst of the week, all right. I asked the people out there, what do you got for me? Some great answers this week? For worse of the Week. I'll fire through some of the answers that people gave to me. Nook No further wrote Kyrie's showing up to play against the Kas and getting roasted by a gentleman with the last name of Sex wearing his old Calves number. Well, Kyrie did have a pretty good game himself. He had thirty seven in that game. But I take your point. Thank you for your contribution. The life of Kate w Writ's task for calling the YouTube fans here stream team rather than team stream Oh no, I'm sorry. I'm sorry I called him team Stream rather see I always mix that up. I always mix that. Okay, yeah it's the Stream team, but I always I always can. It's just that's just how my brain works. Meg Z rights Lee Ellis's chest hair. Yeah we showed this photo. Yeah, come on, yeah, you know there it is. Wow. What a zoom in, JD. What a zoom in to Lee's chester. That's a photo of him. Check our social media pages if you haven't seen him attending the US Open in two thousand and one. And the linen was that Italy two?
Speaker 5: I think it was two thousand and two.
Speaker 3: Wow, you had trim on that linen shirt too. It's not just like a flowing shirt. It looks like, yeah, there's a detail on that thing.
Speaker 5: Wow, it was a very comfortable.
Speaker 4: Shit, I will say that.
Speaker 2: Barely relaxed.
Speaker 3: John Ford ninety nine chimed in with a basketball one. Again, it's the Timberwolves. That's a fair point. Walker Davidson chimed in five game losing streak. The Kangs are back, baby, This one was a great one. Romantic to the reporter who called Steph Wardell, you know there's a reporter who said, excuse me, Wardell, what do you think about that? In the end, Steph looks up. If you haven't seen the clip, I'm sure we'll get into whoopsies next week. Check out our YouTube channel, because you know it's timeless. I don't even know when it happened, but YouTube videos you can PLoP in a video from whenever who cares. A referee called him Mordell. He wasn't angry or anything. He was just a little bit shocked. This gentleman here only here for move One writes Lee's claim that Facundo Compozo's pass the pooper pass, was the best play of the season. Now, did I miss it or was this called the pooper pass? Because I think he called it. That's a great that's a great name. That's why. That's the only reason I included it. Because the pooper pass. He dropped it through his own legs. It's a very good name for a pass. Anybody who drops a pass between his own legs, pooper pass, that's great stuff. Mohammed Hassan writes the heat announcer Eric Reed, calling Weggie a doink. Yeah. I didn't get to chime in with you guys on this one, and this is really near and dear to my soul. I'm not so mad at Eric Reed like you guys are. He's an old head. We've watched basketball for a long time. A lot of old heads called some weird names. Eric Reed called it a doink. There was a Jim Sparnacle called it a Spinarkle called it what do you call it? Neck ball? And Ralph Ralph Lawler, Clippers, longtime Clippers man, he called it weggie. Now Eric Reed just doesn't know that Ralph Lawler's weggie call has been popularized and now you don't call it anything but weggie.
Speaker 5: But Eric Read's an old head.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: He likes numbers like Lee Ellis. He likes saying Hassan Whiteside just came down with his thirteenth rebound that season. This gives him forty thousand rebounds. You know he sees just an old head. That's okay. I'm okay with it, guys. I know you're angry. I'm not okay.
Speaker 2: He should know, first off, is a weggie, and then on top of that, the doink makes no sense. As Trey pointed out, a doink does not stick anoint. That's you're you're spot on with that TK.
Speaker 3: But that's fine.
Speaker 2: That's fine. I believe though the next weggie called by Eric Reed will be called a weggie. I have faith, I do.
Speaker 3: Okay, So some some really good nominees. The Timberwolves a great one. They're they're falling apart, especially with Karl Anthony Towns contracting the virus. I hope he gets well, Eric Reed, sure, Leelis's hair. Sure, but we got a late nominee here. Thursday night, we briefly mentioned it. Shaquille O'Neill and Donovan Mitchell had a conversation, if that's what you want to call it, after Donovan Mitchell's great game. Let's have a listen.
Speaker 7: Part of this is shaq I said tonight that you are one of my favorite players, but you don't have what it takes to get to the next level.
Speaker 1: I set it on purpose.
Speaker 2: I want you to hear it.
Speaker 3: What do you have to say about that?
Speaker 2: That's it, that's it, that's it.
Speaker 7: Okay, cool, I want you to hear it.
Speaker 3: I've been here.
Speaker 2: I've been hearing that since my rookie year.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm just gonna get better than would I do?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I wanted you to hearing you say another garing brother, keep.
Speaker 3: It up, appreciated. Now everyone was angry. We'll get your opinion in a set. Guys. Everybody on Twitter was extremely angry. Shaquille O'Neil should not be saying that to Donovan Mitchell. But if you listen, Donvan Mitchell is actually listening intently because he respects Shaquille O'Neil. He's saying, Okay, thank you, Yes, I appreciate that. I mean, he's he's like, I've heard that crap before, I don't need to hear it again. I think where this comes from, where the problem comes from, is the bigger issue of NBA analysts not supporting and loving the game and just sort of being angry about having to watch basketball and all that. Because if Shaq calls somebody out and you trust his opinion and he gives a crap about his job every day, then this is just his method of trying to inspire to motivate a player. That's he's a tough he's I think this is his dad method, this is his come on kid, this is his tough love method. But when it's combined with the fact that you know he's not into the job at all times. He just kind of, you know it doesn't watch the game at all times, and it's sort of just it's a it's a trait characteristic of many NBA broadcasts right now, and and just throughout every sort of legend, and not every legend, but a lot of the legend. It's just a common thing right now that some guys are just angry. It's already come up on this broadcast, you know, Jeff Van Gundy, like, people just aren't all that, you know, supportive and chummy about the game. So those two things combined got people really angry. But I think if Shaq was, you know, do that other part of his job really well, I think this would have been taken a little bit differently. That's all I got to say about that.
Speaker 2: It was awkward as hell. Yeah, Wait, what did Shack want him to say back? Is what I want to know, Like, what would have like been a good response.
Speaker 3: Well, he said that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, he said, go work on your game, kid, and he said, I on my game.
Speaker 2: It was ridiculous. I mean, he's Donovan Mitchell. Kudos to him for being a professional. He should have said cough, like, and I know he doesn't. I'm sure you respect Shack because he's an al timer, but like, cough, I what a weird thing to say. I trashed you on national TV at the half, then I'm going to trash you basically to your face just by having a great game in a win, because I want to inspire you to be better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just worded it. He worded it ron He was saying, hey, you're a good player. He said, you're a really good player. I want you to be better. He should have said it that way, right, Yeah, Kenny's.
Speaker 6: It over right after Kenny was explained what Shaq was trying to get at it. Kenny explained it in a way that was constructive and supportive, rather than Shaq, who, as Task called it, was curmudgeoning out there. And that's exactly what it is. He at the half. Donovan Mitchell is having has a twenty one point game. He has a twenty one point game. He's in the midst of his best season. The Jazz are on a winning streak. It's not dissimilar to when Draymond Green in the midst of the best Suns basketball we've seen, and said we got to get Devin Booker out of there. We got to get him away from Phoenix. It's like, no, there are ways that you can be constructive. There are ways that you can help people besides just hating on him. Get that pure positivity training shack is what I'm saying. But honestly, think about the way Kobe Bryant was doing things before he passed away about a year ago. He was challenging players. He was saying, here's how you can become the best version of yourself. Here's how you can become an MVP. He's doing it for people outside of the basketball world as well. He's building them up and saying, here's where you can approve. Not saying you just had twenty one points during in the midst of your best season, But are you're going to be a top five player that wins championships? That doesn't even make sense, Like us listening to half of a podcast and being like, this podcast isn't as good as our podcast. Sorry, not listen to it anymore. Might as well deleted off iTunes. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: It's just weird all around. Leally, what did you think of this exchange?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: I wonder though, if there's a little bit of a drama there between Shack and the Utah Jazz because him and Rudy Gobert have kind of been getting into it a little bit lately. Shack basically trashed Rudy Gobert for getting two hundred million for not having an offensive game a few weeks ago. So I wonder if there's just a little bit of tension there. And Shaq's just basically saying, because he had a history as well playing against the Jazz, that he's just kind of like, screw you, Jazz. I don't care if you're winning. I'm just going to still disrespect you. And again, you know, he looks at maybe what happened to the playoff last year, and that's why he's sort of in that position where he can say, I don't think you guys can step up, because they did flame out. They lost in seven games there to the Nuggets after leading three ones. So I wonder if it's just that, you know, just Shack just like I don't respect the Jazz and and Rudy Gobert, I don't respect him, and so I'm not giving anyone on the Jazz credit.
Speaker 2: That Isn't that still a problem like that it's like a major analyst, the guy that is supposed to be like promote the game and building up is after that like didn't know really, you know, we gave him a pass with like not really knowing who Christian Wood was, and then like you said, like doubling down possibly on his heat for the Jazz, Like that's not a good look, right, No, I get it. It's Shack. We always go, man, it's Shack. He can do whatever he wants. Ha ha. But at a certain point it becomes a little tiresome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean the after the game stuff. After the Jazz have an impressive win, when they're having a hot streak and a young star of the league, you don't want to basically just say you're not that good though, and I don't think you guys can win. It took Shack a long time to win in this league. Let's not forget that as well. Remember he came in as the number one pick, he was the star, he was hyped up, and it took him until he got to Los Angeles in his what eighth season or ninth season before he won, and he lost a few times in the playoffs as well. I remember the Jazz beat them in ninety nine, ninety eight, ninety eight, ninety nine, and so Shaq had some questions to answer in his career early on. It didn't go as smoothly as he would have liked.
Speaker 2: So did Doug Collins inspire him on a broadcast something Shack should realize as well that like it takes Michael Jordan, I mean, he went through some struggles as well before he won.
Speaker 4: So most players, you know, do have to figure it out. It takes a long time. And the Jazz and one of those teams, they're in the mix. At their best, they're a good team, but they do have some issues as well, and they have flamed out in the playoffs a couple of times.
Speaker 5: But it's not a good look.
Speaker 4: When Shaq just basically on on C and T just just kind of dismisses and ships on the team that just had an impressive win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they gotta love basketball a little bit more. I think that's what it comes down to to enjoy watching it. And I guess I think it's a double edged sword because you've got superstars, Hall of famers, legends that are on that desk. So Donovan Mitchell was listening intently. He wanted to listen to what Shaq said. But being a superstar, quite often you didn't have to. You know, it's not that you didn't have to work, but you you just don't have to grind the same way you're not going to grind at your job. You're not gonna watch, you know, hours of footage. You're not gonna watch the games. And that's just what's the double edged sword. They get the great part of it. Like Chris Webber talking to Anthony Davis at the end of the Lakers game, asked him a question. Anthony Davis talked for five minutes straight because it was Chris Weber on the other end, that was obviously a huge positive shack if he just showed a little bit of Hey man, you know I watched you tonight. You were actually on a broadcast. I didn't have to do any research. You're right here. You were good. That's all I have to say.
Speaker 2: There was no question he didn't ask him a question. He literally said, I was talking crap about you at halftime, and I'm gonna sort of tilt talk crap to you to you to your face because I'm you know, I'm not hiding from it by any means, and what do you think about that? Like that was the question, like what do you think about me crapping on you? Like what are you supposed to say on live television after again a good performance? It's like to a Hall of famer, Like I think he wanted to say something else and and maybe caught himself and probably wisely so. But it's just strange, man, It's just like what you're I'm with you task like a little more joy, a little more positive, you know, applauding this effort from him and the team, and an entertaining game would go a long way for sure. Then this, like the the it was a game's not the same. I don't like watching whatever it is.
Speaker 3: And I guess part of the attitude is like Lee was saying, everybody in the NBA can't win, and you know, Charles's on that desk. He didn't win. It takes a long time to win. But Shack has this, you know, he's got this personality that he's still competing with you. I'm still better than you. He's always going to compete with you. I'm always going to kick your ass, even though you know this is Donovan Mitchell trying to win in twenty twenty one. Here he's not playing against you, so I think that's partly it too. Right, It's like the guy's trying to be that champion and he's freaking he's freaking playing so good. In year four, he's expanded his game. Shooting nine three is a game to try and get better. He's not a finished product. He's fun. I like watching him.
Speaker 2: Weird, weird moment, but I think that's a good worst of the week right there. Okay, let's get to tweet of the.
Speaker 3: Night, Tweet out the night. Wow, we are going away from basketball for a moment, Yes, and this isn't getting political, although the topic is involving politics. Don't leave yet because this tweet from Kristen Anderson Lopez. Oh, we got me reeling when Kamala Harris, Kamala Harris and Jill Biden were photographed together wearing their long purple coats or Kamala Harris wearing a long purple coat, Jill Biden wearing a long blue coat and somebody's plit screen that Kristin Anderson did with Frozens Anna and Elsa also wearing a long purple coat and a long blue coat and then photoshopping Frozen behind them. I mean, it's it's uncanny.
Speaker 2: Pretty good, similar colors there. It's a good luck though it worked for them in the movie.
Speaker 4: It was also a Lisa Simpson Kamala Harris comparison. That was my dad there. She was dressed exactly the same when Lisa was Lisa became in an advanced episode or Ford episode where she was the.
Speaker 5: President of the Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she was dressed exactly like Kamala was on the inauguration day.
Speaker 5: The right stuff.
Speaker 2: The tweet just made you chuckle, did it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah. I haven't seen Lee's tweet yet, No, I know, but that's going to make me chuckle when I see it. Kamma not wearing purple gloves with her purple jacket, although Jill is wearing Joe Biden is wearing blue gloves with her blue jacket, so I don't know if that's a fashion full paw.
Speaker 2: But in Frozen they wear gloves too, right, because that's where their power is coming from.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also, the other one.
Speaker 2: Doesn't no, right, Wow, that sucks. It's got no powers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but she's you can argue she's the te hero of the shelf of It at least of the first movie.
Speaker 2: I didn't know she had zero powers though I thought it was ran in the family.
Speaker 6: Her power is love.
Speaker 2: That's a good power.
Speaker 3: Great power she is there.
Speaker 2: Is Yeah, it's because the pearls there really take the next level excellent. Good.
Speaker 3: I don't think those are pearls on Kablo. Yeah, I hear what you're saying. Hey, come on, Skeets, you know that Anna doesn't have powers. I saw you saw Frozen Junior. You saw a live I played with Frozen Jr.
Speaker 2: Yeah that was Why did I go watch that? Who was in that? That must have been JD one of your sons. Were they? And Frozens? That's why I was there? They were both in Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: Both yes, yeah, yeah, Lincoln was He was their reindeer, right.
Speaker 7: Spin span he was right yeah, and uh Jackson, I can't remember the character's name. Buddy was like the Duke of something or other, the guy who does yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, good times.
Speaker 7: Good times, love to love to get back to the live theater at some.
Speaker 2: Point, you know, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Well Lincoln is in a school of the arts and that's that's his thing. And there's been nothing doing doing drama classes over zoom is not is not great.
Speaker 2: No, No, imagine are you reading lines with them every once in a while.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 7: There's no shows, there's nothing nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's got to keep working on his craft.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I hate to be a shock about this, Okay.
Speaker 3: But o case, take it easy, kid, big winter bum out? That's that was a lie. Well yeah, blowout big No, he says, big summer blow up, big summer blow up.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I tried to adapt it for Lincoln being upset. Bum out right, Yeah, that's not a term. Bum out isn't a term.
Speaker 2: Pick of results from last night Lakers Bucks game, Lakers favored by one and a half. Trey and I had the Laker to get it done and they did. So that's a good win for us because it's tight for the three of you, especially Trey goes to nine and eleven. I'm eleven and nine, and then we got tacin Lee who had the Bucks last night with the yel you guys are eight and twelve, so you guys are tied for last. Tray's right there, and I'm a couple of games up. What's tonight's game there?
Speaker 3: Tass Well, that's a rematch from a couple of nights ago, we had that double ot game between the Calves and Nets. They're playing again, but the spread is shocking. Two teams go to double overtime. You expect the spread to be close here, but the Calves are getting nine and a half points at home. They can lose by nine if you pick them. Wow, with the Nets visiting at home, this is shocking. So start us off here, Skates, what do you think? Wow?
Speaker 2: That is a shocking line. And whenever I see a line like that, I go, what does Vegas know that? We don't know? What are they got going on over there? Which is why I'll take the Nets. You know, that's strange, very very strange, big line. You're like, exactly right, you just want to double overtime. Colin Sexon was on fire. You know, why would you pick against them right now? They could win the game for crinel out. Nope, give me the Nets by ten plus lee?
Speaker 3: What do you think? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Something weird about that? I don't know. I mean, like, will the Nets go?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 4: Okay, let's be locked in tonight, guys and go and get it. Probably, But I all right, give me the Caves. I think they've got I think they can keep it close enough tonight anyway, I think that wasn't just a mirage again. The Calves the nets defense gives me a little bit of hope that the sex man could go for another forty plus.
Speaker 3: So I'll say the cats, Trey, are you buying this sex man talk?
Speaker 6: Yes, I have subscribed to sex Land. I've got the premium membership. In fact, I don't know what's tough though. Kevin Durant's I guess questionable for tonight's which makes me a little hesitant. Maybe then the Calves sleep on the Nets. I guess they still got James and then Kyrie Irving. That's depth for you right there. Give me the nets. I think I'm gonna regret it, but give me the nets.
Speaker 2: Whoa, what are you going with?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I'm going with the nets too. Whoa, I've got Lee tied with him at the bottom here, So let's break it tide. Don't like ties?
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 2: On Monday's podcast, Yeah, somebody will be in dead last, all by themselves by their loadsome All right, let's end this strop podcast along one here. But we're having a lot of fun, a lot of fun conversations with a little rapid fire questions. Trey, my man, you got the cubes there, that's right, skeet see.
Speaker 6: ESPN's Tim McMahon snapped a picture of Willie Cowley Stein rocking a MAVs Defensive Player of the Game Championship belt after a game earlier this week. Looks awesome. What's another trophy that should be handed out for single game awards?
Speaker 3: Skeets.
Speaker 2: I won't overthink this, Trey. You came up with it. When you get twenty plus rebounds, you got a lot of roast beef. So when you do that, I think you should have to wear an Arby's hat. What's an Rby's hat. It's the Farrell hat. That's what you wear when you get twenty plus rebounds in a game, the Arby's slash Farrell hat, and you wear it proudly a little Probably you could stick some roast beef up under that, have a little snack later in the day. That's why I love it.
Speaker 6: I love it, JD.
Speaker 7: What you got so I was thinking that we could get you know, the sashes they have and the boy Scouts and the girl Scouts where there's where you can put badges on it, and we just give badges for literally everything. You know, if you get the defensive Player of the of the week or whatever or of the night. But you know, add things like composting in first aid and that kind of thing. You know, cookie entrepreneur. Maybe if somebody's opening a bakery. These are real badges, by the way, model design and stamp collecting. That'd be great if you just give those out after a game and then they they could wear them around and you know you can compare. Oh Le Brown's got a lot of them. But you know, Anthony Davis, he's got to get it up there, man, he's got to get some badges on that thing.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: That's not that dissimilar to the like All Star jackets they used to do, right that had like a certain number of like All Star appearances and like Defensive Player of the Earth wins and stuff like that. But you're taking it next level with some of the skills that they made have acquired. Yeah, Sash, I like the sash a lot sash.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's awesome. At the end of the year, you can just look back and see everything you've accomplished. Hang them all on the wall. That's a great one.
Speaker 2: J D.
Speaker 5: Lee, what you are so you guys.
Speaker 4: You know, we often get emails from Australia when people say, you know, why don't you adopt the Australian rules football way of doing the MVP. We call it the Brownlow Metal by giving votes after every game and then you accumulate them at the end of the season, count them up and that decides who the MVP is.
Speaker 5: Why don't we do that?
Speaker 4: Finally in the NBA, right, So after each game, the referees get together and they give out two votes. They give five points to the best player on the court, and then one point to the second best player, and then at the end of the season we just count them up and then we get the MVP based on the amount of points they accumulate during the season. And in fact, we can have it running so we can see throughout the season who is actually winning, so then we don't have to debate the award. We can see the leaderboard who's winning, and at the end of the season it's like, Okay, that guy won it, because.
Speaker 2: After it I can't trust John Butler to make that call technical.
Speaker 4: Hey are you saying are you saying the referees of more biason? People in the media, you come into this season.
Speaker 5: You say Yannis can't win no matter why.
Speaker 2: True, that's true, and I'm right, I'm right about it. You know, I can't trust John Butler. I'm sorry if that is it's me.
Speaker 3: I see.
Speaker 5: That's the thing.
Speaker 4: There's no one system that works perfectly for everyone. So do it in the heat of the moment.
Speaker 6: Good stuff.
Speaker 2: Second, wrap it by our question.
Speaker 6: Joelle Embiid and Marcus Smart got into a war of words about who's the bigger flopper after Embiid shot twenty one free throws and went over the Celtics. But here's the twist. They both flop all the time. Guys, when's the time you faked something for dramatic effect?
Speaker 2: Skates, I apologize if I've told this story before. I can't remember if I have on the podcast. But one Christmas. Every Christmas we would usually not this year, but we would fly home to Canada, of course, be with family. And I've been with Nora for a long time, nearly twenty years in fact, so this is a while back. But I was probably in year three or four, let's say, maybe year five of going to her family Christmas, and one of their traditions, she has a British aunt that married into the family a long long time ago, and we would do the British Christmas pudding. Now, Lee, I don't know if you've ever done this, but what they would do their whole thing is she aunt Jenny would put a bunch of dimes in it, and you know, then it's cut up, it's put on fire. It's a big show, and then it's passed around and you pass it around this giant table and it's got to keep going until it, you know, obviously gets to the closest person back to where the pudding was, and you get your piece, and you see if you get a dime, if you get a dime, hey, it's good luck.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, I knew this is a thing they did because again I'd been there for a couple of years. So I just decided, I don't know why. I just thought it would be hilarious that I would take a fifty dollars bill that I had and I wrapped it up in tinfoil and advance had it in my pocket. You know, it gets everything gets passed around. There's too much going on. It's a huge Armenian family, right, everybody's like yelling and talking and stuff, having a laugh, and so I sort of just slipped it on my on my plate, and everybody always does the thing like, oh found a dime, Oh found a dime. Everybody trying and keep track and all that, and so I did, oh, what's this? And then I, you know, had sort of everybody's attention and open it up and was like, wow, fifty dollars, I'd be a huge deal. And you should have seen the reactions from everyone at the table, like he will jaw like literally hit the floor. They couldn't believe it because they thought it was real. Uh, and it was a grand old laugh and it was nailed it perfectly. I played it off perfectly, like I was excited, like, wow, Auntie Jenny's putt in fifties now man dimes and fifties, so that's nice. I can't remember if I shared that story on this podcast.
Speaker 3: I feel like an outside offline.
Speaker 2: No, okay, So that was you know, look, the family already loved old Skeetzy, but that took me. Still talk about it.
Speaker 3: Leal still reminius.
Speaker 6: About that time, fifteen years deep in the podcasting game, reaching deep in the bag, like the Fries were at the bottom pulling on a banger oh skates with a fifty dollars dime.
Speaker 2: Love it. Unfortunately, we'd have to use that fifty and give half a bit the task.
Speaker 7: That's quick thee I had a little bit of trouble coming up with something, so I'm just gonna say I faked sweating for a DraftKings ad a couple of months ago, and I have Jackson sprang me down with a with a little spray bottle and I got water all over my system, and but it was totally worth it. It was totally worth it the gag. It went off without a hitch. So that's my answer.
Speaker 6: I was a banger of an ad Reid too Bley.
Speaker 4: Pretty much every day when I go outside and play with my two boys, we play hide and Seek or blasters or something like that. And whenever we play Lego Blasters or Star Wars blasters, I have to fake going down every time. Like my four year old won't let me just be like, I can't just let them bounce off me. I have to go down. I have to be down and out for the count. And it's like, after like the tenth time, I'm like I'm not I'm done, man, I'm done. I'm not going down again. They're going to go back down and then to get back up, and then he just blasts me again. And he never goes down when I blast him either. He's always got a shield up.
Speaker 2: He always protects himself.
Speaker 4: If I use the same tactics, it never works. I'm like, I've I've got a should Actually, you don't have a shield for this blast. I'm like, woy, how do you have a shield all the time? How come you're always blocking my blast? But I've always got to go down for yours.
Speaker 6: I'm like, they got that advance to technology game up.
Speaker 2: Sounds like you suck it blasters. I do.
Speaker 4: I do, apparently because I can never ever defeat those guys. They always beat me, especially the four year old.
Speaker 5: He's very sly, he's very funny.
Speaker 6: He knows how to get me last rapid fire question. With the win over Kansas City this week, this weekend, Little Bills would go to the Super Bowl for the first time since nineteen ninety three. Shout out to Darryl Tally, what's something you haven't done since the nineties, But you might get back into skips.
Speaker 2: I am just continuing to talk this into existence. NBA Jam playing it a lot, and I'm eventually gonna get the NBA JAM arcade system, you know, the whole cabinet. I'm gonna do it. You know again, I've talked about this before in the pot. We're getting closer because I think my buddy Chris just saw one the other day at the Walmart. He's like, is this what you were talking ABOUT'M like, that's it. That's it, so we know it's there. I can just go pick it up later today if I wanted to.
Speaker 3: And I'm a little.
Speaker 6: Jam on a Friday looking forward to the unboxing.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, I definitely will unbox that.
Speaker 5: Once I get that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, launch a twist channel if you get into gaming.
Speaker 2: Played a ton of it in the nineties, of course, but I'm bringing it back, all right.
Speaker 7: Jerdi shaving maybe you know it's been uh it has literally been since the nineties since I didn't have a beard. So and it's getting a little Yeah, when you can't see the logo on your shirt, it's it's getting a little zz top. So I don't know. I thought I was thinking what would happen if I just shave like complete no no facial hair. I don't it's literally been thirty years since I've since That's wow. It was just show up one day and just be like you would be like, who is that guy? Like you would not recognize me?
Speaker 2: Probably, Well, we've never known you. We've seen the odd photo maybe, but yeah, you've never known you without a beard.
Speaker 7: Right, Yeah, I don't know. I don't know me without a beard. Yeah, yeah, I had a beard ins for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I'm worried about my jowels.
Speaker 6: Do you know?
Speaker 7: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 7: I got no chin. That's my joke. I'm I'm and like Roger Ebert after he had his surgery, his lotch and removed.
Speaker 4: When I first started traveling in the nineties, I used to have a bum bag, a fanny pack as you call it over here, and I used to love it.
Speaker 5: Because fanny packs bum bags. They were in. They were in in, in, and then they were out out out. People like, get that out of here.
Speaker 4: No one wants to see you with a bum bag anymore.
Speaker 5: But I like them, So I did rock.
Speaker 4: I hold onto mine for a while, and now I've missed traveling so much. Next time I'm going on the plane, I'm getting a brand new bum bag. I'm putting the passports in it, I put my wallet in it, I'm put my phone in it. I'm bringing back it's a bum bag. I think it's time for it to come back.
Speaker 5: I think so.
Speaker 4: It's a cycle and they're cool.
Speaker 2: I like that they are back. I mean, Tree, you can probably speak to this better than I can. The fanny pack is it's back, isn't it last couple of years? I feel like you always see guys coming into the arena wearing them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the fanny pack is back, but I've never heard it called a bum bag. Could definitely come back.
Speaker 2: What would you do, Lea? If Lebron tweeted at you, you bum bag, I would say, you see it's back in the bum bag is back.
Speaker 5: See the fannie pack.
Speaker 4: Means something different in Australia or you. I woke around sign up people, I've got my fanny packed out.
Speaker 6: And Jenny would just laugh.
Speaker 2: That's true, that's true. All right, that's a rapid fire. Let's call it there. This is a long one, but hey, you got all weekend to listen to this classic. If you're in the mood, go grab some No Dunks items at No dunks dot com. Hoodies, and T shirts and shorts and mugs. Go rep the brand, and you know what, treat yourself to an athletic subscription. Go to the athletic dot com slash no dunks where you can sign up for just three ninety nine a months right now for the best damn sports writing in the world. Thanks so much to the stream team the team stream for joining us live here on YouTube. Really appreciate it. If you listen on Apple Podcasts, please leave us that five star rating and review. We'll get to a five star Friday some point in February, so if you got a new review, you might get in the show. All right, fun one guys, Clipper bros. You heard it here first, have a great time, turn up.
Speaker 6: Love you guys awesome.
Speaker 3: Thanks for joining us. And remember one Christmas, I went to Christmas Dinner and I wrapped up fifty and food Aunt Jenny.
Speaker 2: It brings the weekend. People.
Speaker 4: You could stay.
Speaker 6: Every day.
Speaker 1: And Dannie happy every minute.
Speaker 2: It's been so long of your mona.
Speaker 7: Way, it's happy already.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be grevy