Speaker 1: This show contains terrifying, shocking, and haunting stories that some listeners may find disturbing or offensive.
Speaker 2: It's one sixteen am. You're driving down a dirt road on the sixty two. Not a soul in site, just you and the desert night. But wait, you hear a signal off from the distance. It's faint, but it grows louder. Is it a howl of a coyote, the hiss of a king snake? Or is it the voice of a man guiding you toward a great darkness? From my heart radio and overtones media, you're listening to YFT two FM, the sound you'll hear in the Sleephole Valley. I'm Dixon Lewis your lone companion for the night, and I've got a new batch of stories to keep you up as you drive down this dusty, desolate highway. And now we're taking you into the near future. Los Angeles, twenty twenty nine. There's an unbearable heat wave, and as one couple tries to survive it, they realize the heat isn't the only thing they'll need to beat. This is High's in the one thirties by Kimberly and Dombey.
Speaker 3: You're listening to KPXX Los Angeles Public Radio and your home for the perfect blend of news, music and current events. It's Sunday, July fourteenth, twenty twenty nine. I'm Karthik Jettarge. Southern California finds itself yet again in the midst of an extreme heat wave. The situation has gone from bad to worse in Los Angeles, which has been hit with record highs in the one thirties. As many predicted, the high tempts have burdened and already overloaded grid, and a blackout has overtaken the city. Mayor Quinn Cortes has instituted a nine pm curfew to curtail and expected rise and crime. The mayor has also commandeered Sofi Stadium in addition to the city's empty hotel rooms, to help those without proper air conditioning survived the latest bout of extreme weather. Lapdas stationed inside so far to maintain.
Speaker 4: God, you remember when they sold the spot to me as a safe neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Well her, Brentwood is looking more like skid row every day.
Speaker 4: Is that supposed to make me feel better?
Speaker 1: It's not just you, babe, it's everyone.
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 5: My god?
Speaker 6: I've been running and running for like forever. It feels like running is far away from where I was to get here and for what it's like. Just as soon as I start to see the finish line, someone comes over and says, Nah, race is over.
Speaker 1: We'll figure this out.
Speaker 4: I can't believe we're still stuck here. Where are we supposed to go? How are we supposed to go?
Speaker 1: My mom said that we could stay with her.
Speaker 6: Seriously, Leslie, no, we're not living with your mom in Greenwich.
Speaker 1: It would be temporary.
Speaker 4: I don't know what your family think. And I can't take care of you.
Speaker 1: We take care of each other. Remember, I can't.
Speaker 5: Breeze this heat.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to get you another ice pack?
Speaker 4: No worries, I got it here.
Speaker 1: Take this flashlight, No use training your phone's battery.
Speaker 7: Thanks, I'll be right back. Not too melted, I'll take it.
Speaker 4: Who's there?
Speaker 5: Who's there?
Speaker 8: Dumb you?
Speaker 1: Okay? Just stay in the room and locked the door, get.
Speaker 9: Out, shut the funk up, and give me that core and I'm gone. No, get do get cough of me. I haven't dine.
Speaker 10: Stay in the room.
Speaker 4: I have my arm.
Speaker 11: Oh god, the.
Speaker 9: Cours bard, no, let go, I think spring my ankle.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no doubt, that's brain you Okay, they got the cooler. Well, your ability to deflect is still intact.
Speaker 4: It'll be good. Just give me a sick let me help. Oh I'm good, I said, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Okay, we should check on the door.
Speaker 4: Damn, he busted the log. Knock this thing right off its hinges.
Speaker 1: Do we have extras? Nah?
Speaker 4: But we could probably use the hinges from the office door. The lock's a lost cause.
Speaker 12: Though.
Speaker 1: Nothing says setting ducks like a house with a broken loss.
Speaker 4: Well, what do you suggest we do?
Speaker 8: The thing I've been saying, Let's leave, not until we get a decent offer on the house.
Speaker 1: That may never happen.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty sure, Barbara Corkoran said, setting your cash on fire. It's smarter than buying in la Right, we need the money to move forget about the money.
Speaker 9: Brain doesn't work.
Speaker 8: Like, oh my god, do you hear it yourself? How do we even get through the day tomorrow? Or cooler is gone? We don't have any ice for the makeshift. A see, maybe the power could come back. And if it doesn't, do you know how hard I work to buy this place?
Speaker 1: Yes, because I was there by your side.
Speaker 9: I love you.
Speaker 1: And I know you. I put a ring on your finger, and I want us to live a better life than this.
Speaker 4: God no things so bad, but it's hard to know when it's time to fully jump ship.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 8: Really, I cut a man and then I saw him kick you. I knew right then.
Speaker 4: I think it's time. Fuck, it's time.
Speaker 3: It's Monday, July fifteenth, twenty twenty nine. I'm Karthik chotherg. The heat wave continues to be the most pressing story in Los Angeles. The death toll has now surpassed five hundred people and is expected to continue to rise throughout the next couple of weeks, especially if the city fails to restore the energy grid. Sofi Stadium has been flooded with the climate refugees and the talks to open up the Intuit Dome and the Crypto dot Com Arena.
Speaker 10: A mass exodus from Lussig has seen traffic for miles.
Speaker 4: Major hu.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, we're at a gas already. A'cult triple A is bumber out there. They got a helicopter.
Speaker 4: They must have some way through.
Speaker 6: I'm sure all those abandoned cars that we passed. They tried calling Triple A too.
Speaker 4: No one's picking up. We've got a walk.
Speaker 10: No, just no.
Speaker 4: Look the sun just set. It'll cool down enough for us to go get some gas and come back before sunrise.
Speaker 1: The nearest gas station is miles away.
Speaker 4: I doubt my ankle is up for that.
Speaker 10: Then I'll go.
Speaker 4: No, please don't. We can't just stay here.
Speaker 1: I'll get through to someone eventually. I don't want to be here alone.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, I'm not going anywhere. We'll get through this. You and me can get through anything.
Speaker 12: I can.
Speaker 4: I already feel the heat seeping in. She drink some water. It'll cool down soon.
Speaker 5: Huslie, Leslie, I'll be back.
Speaker 4: Oh sorry about that.
Speaker 10: You're good?
Speaker 4: So where are we all walking? Some more cooler? I hope you're getting gas? Caniser give it away?
Speaker 12: Huh?
Speaker 10: Can I walk with you?
Speaker 12: Why not?
Speaker 4: I'm kidding. I'm Tominique. Some people call me Dom. How is it this hot at night? You'll hear stuff like that often.
Speaker 12: My guess is it's people hoping to find water, food, and abandoned cars.
Speaker 4: Don't bother anybody, and nobody will bother you. It works for me.
Speaker 2: We'll be back with our broadcast. After these messages.
Speaker 13: This is Feifong reporting from member station k CYLO in San Francisco. Sister station KPXX, which serves the Greater Los Angeles area, has shut down amidst an historic and devastating heat wave that has claimed the lives of over three thousand people and counting. That number is said to be drastically low as many of the methods to report these depths have broken down. Chaos has overtaken LA and surrounding areas. Mayor Quinn Cortes and many high level officials are rumored to have fled the city in search of safety and cooler temperatures, abandoning their residents when they needed guidance. Most as crime skyrockets, many wonder what LA will look like in the aftermath of this heat wave. Unfortunately, these temperatures are expected to stay for the next few weeks.
Speaker 9: Hey, come on and.
Speaker 11: Thank you us waiting here forever.
Speaker 4: This line is wild. I need to take it back almost to the front.
Speaker 10: It's so weird.
Speaker 4: They're not letting any cars through.
Speaker 12: I sarcute. Come on, I need some guess I can hook you up with that. What's with the line? How come we can't just pump it ourselves. Well, we need to keep order around these parts.
Speaker 11: Demand is higher than ever. We just don't want people trying to get more than their fair share.
Speaker 4: You know, sure, I guess?
Speaker 1: Are you sure?
Speaker 4: Or are you guessing?
Speaker 12: Look?
Speaker 4: I just need to fill up a cancer Yeah? Same? How much for that?
Speaker 1: Ah?
Speaker 12: Well, let me see this gas consume produce standard red nozzled.
Speaker 4: Five hundred to do it the fuck?
Speaker 10: Oh it's okay.
Speaker 9: If you don't have cash, we.
Speaker 12: Accept venmo funny once it actually cost I said what I said, sir?
Speaker 4: Oh sir?
Speaker 12: I like the sound as sir. That's a sign of respect. Do you see what's happening out there? This is a state of emergency for all of us. I've got a couple of kids to get back to, Okay, so stop messing around.
Speaker 11: Oh dude, an emergency? No, no, no, this is our new way of life. You better start acting like it.
Speaker 4: Hey man, maybe if you have the money, you just give it to me.
Speaker 12: No, that's not how this is gonna go. What's this operation you're running?
Speaker 4: Did you set this whole thing up with.
Speaker 12: Those backwoods guys manning the line and everything?
Speaker 10: What is this?
Speaker 9: You can't just I can't just what. I can't just take over.
Speaker 11: A gas station that was never mine to.
Speaker 10: Begin with, because I did.
Speaker 4: Where's your shirt from J Crew? Somewhere? Fancy like that?
Speaker 14: M you must have worked in an office pretty high up or something. I must be right on the money. Guy like you would have never given me the time of day before this latest wave.
Speaker 4: Give me gas before I call the police. Yo, oh, the police.
Speaker 11: I'm so scared.
Speaker 4: You still don't get it.
Speaker 9: We have all been abandoned. Earth wants it's gone.
Speaker 12: So she's picking us off one by one.
Speaker 9: Give me gas before I before you won before it. Beat your ass. Oh, go ahead, beat it, do it? Fuck you you little?
Speaker 4: Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 9: As I was saying, the Earth is picking us off one by one, and.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to help her.
Speaker 11: Missy, do you need me to repeat the price?
Speaker 13: No?
Speaker 4: No, my phone is dead.
Speaker 6: MM.
Speaker 4: That's a damn shame. Well I got business to do, so keep it moving. Wait my wedding ring, I'll trade you for it. It must be in quite the spot. I need gas, so please just take it. It's a diamond, a real one. It's been passed down in my wife's family. Dale here I had.
Speaker 11: To pump number one.
Speaker 14: My man will take care of you.
Speaker 12: Oh and hey, since I'm feeling generous, why don't you go ahead and take your friend's can and fill.
Speaker 14: That one up too?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 10: Uh uh? What do you say?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 11: Thank you?
Speaker 14: Sir?
Speaker 4: I like the sound as sir?
Speaker 1: Why is she covered in blood?
Speaker 10: Hey?
Speaker 9: Hey, what's going on in there?
Speaker 4: If you want gas, I suggest you keep your mouth shut.
Speaker 10: We run a motel down the block if you need some rest.
Speaker 5: I'm good saying.
Speaker 10: You only got a few more hours till sunrise. You don't want to be caught walking. Then I got someone waiting for me. You say, so, your sun's coming up. I'm coming for you less, I'm going.
Speaker 4: I love you, I need you.
Speaker 2: Hies in the one thirties is written and directed by Kimberly and Dombay. The executive producers James Kim and Taylor Chacoyne. Erica Huang is a producer. Diego Perez is producer and lead sound designer. Alssina Sawe Nozari provided additional sound designer. Daniel Martinez is a production sound mixer. Matthew Wong is a composer. Theme music by Ryo Baum and Robert Garova. Artwork by Justin d.
Speaker 12: Lee.
Speaker 2: This episode was recorded at Hobby Shop West in Highland Park, Los Angeles. Michael Elainek is a production sound mixer. Kalema Gaston plays Dom Morgan's Smith plays Leslie, Anthony Gonzalez plays Keating, Christopher Gerse plays Wyatt, Satchen Bat plays Cardick Chatterjee. Rachel Michiko Whitney plays Fay Fong, Sam Duffy plays the Looter. Clayton Stocker Myers plays the guard. Tony Diamatto plays person in Line You Feel In This Too is a production of iHeartRadio and Overtones Media