Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Friday.
Speaker 2: It's a meat Friday at that and Marvin has control of the menu. His team lost the Super Bowl and I said, you know what, let me pick up your spirits, little guy, and he decided that he was going to go with pretzel, bun Berger's, Sliders, Brods, Jalapano poppers, and France.
Speaker 3: Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 2: No nobody say good morning to our new affiliate. It's a Fox Sports Radio affiliate, Jacksonville, nine thirty a m. And Jacksonville is Florida's largest city, So thank you for joining the growing empire here. That's four hundred and one cities around the country that carried this program. By the way, Oppenheimer, you can see it on Peacock now. That's our streaming partner. So written and directed by Christopher Nolan, it's a global phenomenon and it's up for thirteen Academy Awards. Speaking of phenomenon, I don't think it's global, but Caitlin Clark is a phenomenon with what she's done. And we were talking about this earlier that you can't just make up a phenomenon. It just happens, like shoe Hey Otani is a phenomenon. When Dion Sanders played football in baseball during the same season, that was a phenomenon. Bo Jackson's ability to play football in baseball phenomenon, Jeremy Lynn when there was Lynn sanity, phenomenon, Fernando Valenzuela, Fernando mania. Then it became a phenomenon. But I always I traced back Caitlin Clark to Steph Curry and his ability to take those long shots when we thought they were bad, even as head coach Steve Kerr thought they were bad, and then we saw the end result, and then Steve Kerr realized Steph Curry doesn't take bad shots. But I could only wonder what Caitlin Clark must have been thinking nine years ago, eight years ago, so twenty fifteen, when Steph Curry hits that long shot against Oklahoma City on a Saturday night, and Caitlin Clark is probably thirteen years of age and probably either looking at the game or looking at the highlights and saying, that's what I want to do. Because you can score a lot of points. It's how you score those points. You get style points, that resonates, you know, as far as if you're gonna have endorsements, commercials, you know, clicks, you're gonna have followers. It's Zion Williamson was a phenomenon. Now he's not as much anymore, but you know social media, Oh my god, look at those highlights. And then we saw him at Duke for one year. He was a phenomenon. Mike Tyson was a phenomenon. It was in the beginning You're like, oh my god, did you see this guy? He knocks everybody out in less than one round. A phenomenon. And then are you able to sustain it? Well, Mike Tyson sort of did. We're waiting for Zion to see if he can. But Steph Curry went from phenomenon in college and then injuries with his ankle, and then all of a sudden he became the phenomenon that he is and now a Hall of Famer. But that impact with Caitlin Clark, who set the all time scoring record last night. It was almost a year ago today where we had Caitlin Clark on the show and I toyed with the idea would she come back for another year at Iowa a fifth year and Uh, here's my question in her answer, But you would you would seriously consider staying two more years?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, yeah, Mine, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I just like love this place. I love getting to play in front of a sold out crowd every single night. I don't know, I love college basketball. I don't know it would be hard to leave. I think what we've been, what we've been able to build has been super special too. But more than anything, you know, I love this program. I love getting to play for Coach Bluter. I love getting to play with my best friends, you know, and they're not only my teammates, but I hang out with them every second off the court. And you know, it'll it'd be really hard to leave that, especially you know, when you know you can go to the WNBA even the year after that. But yeah, I mean there's pros and cons to both sides, and I think you know, it's been hard for a lot of college athletes to decide what to do, uh, just because you know there are pros of staying in college, but also you know, your dream of reaching the next levels right there as well.
Speaker 2: And I don't know how she feels now about maybe entertaining staying another year. It feels like, okay, all time leading score. The only thing left is can you win a championship? Can you compete for a championship again? And then you want to try your you want to face the best, and she's clearly ready to face the best and go into the WNBA eight seven seven three DP Show Email I do sdpat Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP Show. We'll get to your phone calls. Jim Nance will join us coming up. Good morning if you're watching on Peacock. That's our streaming partner. Dale and Iowa City joins us Hi Dale. What's on your mind?
Speaker 5: Happy meat Friday, Dan, Thank you, Thank you Dane. So last night at the I was at the game in Carver, Hawkey and much like Jim Nance carrying you into the super Bowl and a Peacock, you had a wonderful job. After the game, they actually filmed the celebration honoring her, and you were there, you were part of it.
Speaker 6: It was a couple of your.
Speaker 5: Comments, like there was the first one was she is must see TV, and then two seconds later it was the one with this is the best player in college basketball, men's or women. So once again, the DP Show travels.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Dale. She's the most impactful now. Her skill level is wonderful in her sport and certainly the most impactful and must see TV. And with college basketball, we don't have that. We don't have that player or players, maybe teams, maybe coaches, but we're lacking star pas with the men's game. What's poll question Seaton for hour two on this program?
Speaker 7: Well, Dad, we put up there if you could only watch one NCAA tournament this year, which one would it be?
Speaker 8: The men's or the women's? Right now? Eighty have the men's tournament?
Speaker 7: Yeah, which is which is pretty good? That's a solid showing. For the women's tournament, you can only watch one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but March Madness never fails to deliver. Yeah, you know, we're waiting for Caitlin Clark to play in the tournament. But other than that, are you waiting and watching you know, any other team? Maybe LSU, South Carolina, maybe Connecticut, But.
Speaker 3: Yeah, March madness. It doesn't matter if you don't know anybody.
Speaker 2: And now it's even tougher when you're filling out your bracket, you're like, who plays for them? I always go who's their coach? And then I go, let me start there with their coach. Do I know the coach?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: Got tournament experience? Oh hey, we just got another station, the battle for the Dan Patrick Show in the state of Florida.
Speaker 3: iHeartMedia. Just said that.
Speaker 2: WRSAM eight ten and FM ninety seven point nine in Orlando, Florida, they are going all sports.
Speaker 3: They just started right now in response to Jacksonville situation. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know what happened Jacksonville. We started the show. We welcome them into the Dan Patrick family, and maybe there's pressure in Florida.
Speaker 3: Orlando.
Speaker 2: They decided that they're going Dan Patrick Show all sports. Okay, I like that. Well, thank you guys. So I'm not sure if there's some people I have to welcome, but it's the new Fox Sports Radio Orlando ninety seven to nine FM at eight ten am. So thank you, thank you very much for that. All Right, anything else that you're thinking about, Seaton for hour two?
Speaker 8: How much better is Orlando than Jacksonville?
Speaker 3: T better?
Speaker 2: Orlando is the home of the Dan Patrick School of sportscasts.
Speaker 3: Oh hell yeah, you chose that place for a reason.
Speaker 9: Strong ties.
Speaker 2: Yes, Orlando, the Winter Park too. You know it's right by Rollins College.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ton, it.
Speaker 2: Appears our friends Rick and Kyle by part of the programming and the program director involved with both of those stations. Well they're geniuses's it's four completely separate guys.
Speaker 8: Just happened to have the same name name, believe it or not.
Speaker 7: Yeah, same name, same title, but it's four completely separate people.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, thank you NBA All Star Weekend. By the way, Sabrina iron Escue against Steph Curry the three point shoot Now they're not involved in the three point shooting contest. That's just them one on one with each other.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin so Caitlin Clark just join the regular three point shootout. And it's in Indianapolis. The Indiana Fever have the first pick in the WNBA draft balloon. Kind of ingratiate yourself with the people Indiana. Yeah, let's go. Okay, put a big spotlight on the Fever, the spotlight on.
Speaker 11: Her more so.
Speaker 3: All right, Okay?
Speaker 9: How many teams are named after an affliction? You know, like fever? You know that seemed like a unique one. I was like heat or thunder or hurricanes that's named after a potential disaster.
Speaker 3: Like dysentery just doesn't come up. Is a nice name, Delaware dysentery, Yeah was ab eighteen. Yeah.
Speaker 9: But like fever, the the blisters, the Utah strep throat, you don't see that.
Speaker 3: A lot boils, right, boise boils.
Speaker 11: You could have played.
Speaker 3: To you. Brian in Chicago, Bryan, welcome to the program.
Speaker 12: Hey Dan, five ten, first time, long time, Hey Dan. I've been a fan since twenty thirteen when I first started listening working with the University of on my football team, and I was just wanting to say that you've been a staple in all of college uh football video offices. So shout out to the CSBA. Hey Dan, I'm getting married at the end of May. You are all invited. There will not be any rockets running around, but I am getting married in Paulie's Neck of the Woods in Lamont, Illinois, so Italian beefs on me. I am taking a trip to Rome, so I was wondering if I could get your advice. I'm trying to find good non tourist restaurants in Rome. I will hang up and listen.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: If you can find restaurants where they're speaking Italian and you find other Italians in there, not that you can kind of walk in, go you Italian, you Italian, or you Italian. But that's what you're looking for if you want authentic. God, I wish I could remember Guy Fieri name dropper. He recommended a restaurant. If I can remember what it is, if I can find it, I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: I'll mention it on the radio.
Speaker 2: I walked in and nobody spoke English, my wife and I and so I'm just it was a seafood so they had fish. I was just pointing at things and I didn't know what I was ordering. It was spectacular, but I just kept pointing things. The whole menu is in Italian. I don't speak Italian, and I'm just going, I have no idea and I'm ordering things. And at the end of the meal it was wonderful and uh, but it was, you know, an Italian restaurant, truly Italian restaurant.
Speaker 3: Yeah, PAULI, Yeah, I've been there.
Speaker 9: Seat and has been there, and you're dead on. If you see if you're near tourist attractions, those restaurants are very spotty. If you see a sign in front that translates everything into English from Italian.
Speaker 8: That's spotty.
Speaker 9: Go into the quieter neighborhoods and go down some alleys and find something that looks like it. It's not up to code when you go in, and that's the best restaurant.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, is that kind of like New Orleans? Is it kind of the same thing. Yeah, like when there's three chairs, like, oh, there's our seating area. That's probably the best places ever.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Off the beaten path. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: And we'll be in New Orleans next year for the super Bowl, by the way, is that official? Well, the super Bowl is in I think we're going. I don't know, but the super Bowl is going to be in New Orleans next year. Doug in North Carolina, Hi, Doug, Well, Dan, I'm.
Speaker 13: Thinking today about great play by play calls of all time. I wasn't alive when the Giants won the Pennant have a vague memory of do you believe in miracles? But I think the best thing I ever saw live on television was vernonlon Quist calling Tiger Woods chipping in there. It goes, oh my goodness, oh wow, have you ever seen anything like that in life? Vernon Allound said that this is going to be his last major, last Masters. Yesterday, he announced that he's retiring after forty years. And I'm wondering, when you talk with these kids in Orlando, is that a cliss that you would play as a great play by play call? It's on my top five.
Speaker 2: I haven't done that as far as play by play calls for the students, but that doesn't mean that the teachers, the faculty professors down there haven't done that. But I'm going down there coming up next week to spend some time with the students on campus there.
Speaker 11: Ah.
Speaker 2: I just found out the restaurant in Rome that I went to that guy Fieri recommended a sunk Day Madre A s s u n t A m A d r E A Sunday Madre.
Speaker 3: Yeah, got it.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. It's not a stat of the day. That's a restaurant of the day.
Speaker 3: Yes, tons, I was like, you're offended someone's mom just now? Yeah, what are you doing today?
Speaker 5: So it sounded like to me, what'd you can say about my mother?
Speaker 2: So we're gonna do rhyme time coming up a little later time, Yeah, a little later on today.
Speaker 3: Rhyme time.
Speaker 2: Yes, A Suntay Madre and Uh, be ready to have somebody just point out things to you, because uh, I think the entire weight staff just spoke Italian wonderful meal.
Speaker 9: By the way, Yes, and you know in Rome, as you know Dan, there's four main passas that are the staples of Rome food. Start there when you go to Rome, get there, get what they're known for, the four main pastas of room.
Speaker 2: Greg and Mississippi Jim Nance will be joining us coming up here momentarily.
Speaker 6: Hi, Greg, Hey, Dan of the show five ten two. Hey, you mentioned yesterday that you're going to do some ice fishing and I was born and raised Wisconsin. They got a couple of tips for you, okay, okay. Number one, if you catch something, keep it discreete because if someone sees it before you know it, you're going to be surrounded. And then you got access to a secret weapon that I don't think you know about. And his name is Todd Fritz. Every time you go out on the ice, there's always a guy that has a pile of fish next to his hole, and no one around him is catching anything. Have Todd go up to him, sing him a song parody about fishing, or play rhyme time and before you know it, mister Patrick, we'll have the hole ice.
Speaker 2: Okay, because he'll leave and then I'll go ice fishing. I don't know how many people are going to be ice fishing where I'm going, but thank you for the tips there. I just need an augur. I just like saying that the augur to cut through the ice.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 9: So when Seaton mcleven and I were doing that is Lake minnetaka Seating in Minnesota that we're at. They gave me the power auger and if you remember seeing, I almost put it straight through the ice. I was pushing it and pushing it down and I didn't know when to let up, and it went and they go, oh, I almost said this thing.
Speaker 3: Right, take it. Yeah, I could take you right down.
Speaker 9: He didn't think it was funny at all.
Speaker 3: Rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I got my auger ready and then going fishing. Yes, yes, it's kind of funny.
Speaker 7: Like throughout the years, we've put ourselves in these situations like going out filming these goofy videos.
Speaker 3: And we're like it's gonna be awesome, and the people that do it.
Speaker 8: Every day like it was wrong with you.
Speaker 7: This is just like just cut the ice or you know We're like, well, court cheerleaders, isn't this hilarious?
Speaker 8: Like not really, Well, this is what we do it.
Speaker 2: When you guys lost to bet and you had to be Houston Cougar cheerleaders, they were not please.
Speaker 8: They were not into it at all.
Speaker 2: They were not and you guys were and you're just and it turned out it wasn't like a punishment for you guys. Everybody was having fun and you could just see the other You got a side eye from the cheerleaders of several Yeah, they're.
Speaker 8: Like, oh god, why are these guys messing up our formation?
Speaker 3: Whatever?
Speaker 2: I don't even know what that something like that. Let's take a break here. The Great jim Nantz joins us next year on The Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAPP.
Speaker 9: Two NBA Insiders podcasting twice a week to plug you right into the NBA Grape.
Speaker 14: Five, all happening in only one place this league. Uncut the New NBA Podcast with Me Chris and Me Mark Stein join us as we team up to expound on everything we're covering hearing and Chason.
Speaker 10: Listen to This League Uncut with Chris Haynes and Mark Stein.
Speaker 14: On the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: We will hear from Kyle Shanahan, the Niners head coach, on why he fired Steve Wilkes, the defensive coordinator. Also Doc Rivers. It feels like somebody you know held a knife to Doc Rivers and said, hey, you must take the Milwaukee Bucks head coaching job. He sounds miserable. So we'll hear from Doc Rivers coming up in a little bit. More of your phone calls as well. He's Jim Nance NFL on CBS called the Super Bowl and more importantly, had a picture of us in his pocket as he called the super Bowl. So we sort of co hosted the Super Bowl with Jim Nance. Jim, you said you were going to do it, and you did it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 15: It was automatic, My friend, Morning ho friends, I wanted you to feel like you were right there with me.
Speaker 11: And what a game to.
Speaker 15: Watch and be a part of. I'm still you could probably hear it. As you know, I've been trying to come on the show for the last couple of days, even had my voice down on Wednesday, laryngitis like symptoms. But we're back, We're running, and I get to be back with Hugh and the dan Ats again.
Speaker 11: That's a good thing.
Speaker 2: Has it hit you yet? Not being involved in March Madness?
Speaker 11: Wow?
Speaker 15: I mean this is the first time I've been asked about I'm just coming out of the Super Bowl, But you know, I think last year I just felt so good about the plan which was put in place in twenty one to say goodbye and Houston. Listen, I've been knocked on my backside here with whatever it was that half the crew get came down with after the Super Bowl. But I'm excited to actually have the month off and be able to go on a spring break with my kids and be able to do some things I haven't done in almost forty years. So I love the tournament. I'm actually gonna appear at the tournament a couple of places to cheer on my Houston Cougar's and I'll be at the final four in some very limited capacity and going to take in the games and sit in the stands and enjoy it as a fan.
Speaker 2: Minutes before kickoff, what goes on with you and Tony or producers, directors.
Speaker 11: Well, I.
Speaker 15: It was very calm. We came on the air with this incredible tease my way Frank Sinatra with an orchestra in the sphere and move because that's my favorite song of all time. It was so well done. It's got to win an Emmy. Pete Radovitch and this amazing team put it together and I was ready to go. You know, there are elements to the show you have to be involved in. Most of us just thrown it to commercial teeing up. Alan Roach, who's the NFL public address announcer, does such a great job and I couldn't wait for the game to start.
Speaker 11: So now, no real big memories of that. Just trying to be exact.
Speaker 2: But can you get too excited? Have you gotten too excited when you're calling a game?
Speaker 11: Well, I think you have to modulate it, you know, I really do.
Speaker 15: I think you have to be careful not to blow it out on random plays along the way. But listen, that comes with forty years of experience of kind of knowing when when to bring it and preserve that one gear that you have in reserve. And I mean we had some we had some lag time there in the first half without a lot at big places. We had to throw back with the touchdown pass from Jennings to McCaffrey, but there wasn't a whole lot to speak of. But by the end of the game it was riveting and you know, you're hitting those higher notes.
Speaker 11: So to speak.
Speaker 2: And you talked about that ball being in the air a long time. I mean, we're watching it and you're right, You're like that, that's in the air a long time, and then they end up scoring that touchdown.
Speaker 15: Well, I think if the defender Bolton hadn't been chipped, I mean, I think it could have been a touchdown in the other direction.
Speaker 11: I mean, it was an amazing play.
Speaker 15: I certainly didn't see when Jennings was trying to get the ball back across the field that it was going to produce a touchdown. But hey, listen, I haven't gone back and looked at the game yet. You still play it in your head a hundred million times. And I'm just really proud of all the women and men that were a part of this.
Speaker 11: You know, it's a it's a crew of over one thousand.
Speaker 15: Strong, and as you know now it's been out there. It's the most watched single show in the history of television, So it might even actually because of the fact that it went five quarters. You got Taylor sitting in the stands and being shown, and are sitting in a suite being shown. I think that the rating might hold up. Usually you kind of pass it on the next year it gets stopped, and the next year it gets stopped.
Speaker 11: You just kind of leap frog one another. But I think this one's actually going to be advice for a long long time as the most watched show in the history of American television.
Speaker 2: Halftime is what three times longer than it normally is for a game. What do you do during halftime and then try to ramp back up to have that energy.
Speaker 15: I gotta have my hot dog first off, and it was a really good hot dog.
Speaker 3: Half is a person?
Speaker 2: Is there a hot dog person in jim Nance's life?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 3: There's no?
Speaker 11: Okay now, But you know it's It's interesting.
Speaker 15: When I first started doing the NFL back in the eighties, it wasn't automatic that you get a hot dog or a tray of hot dogs delivered to the booths. That's all set up by the team, so we don't ask for anything, but they cater it and sometimes you get them. Sometimes you wouldn't. Now it's universal, so I don't need a hot dog. I will not have another hot dog until Week one in the NFL season. But during the season, Dan, it's absolutely essential. I have to have a hot dog at halftime. I'm a ritualistic guys, you know, So I don't finish it though I saved, you know, I saved the last fight or two, so I feel good about myself and I'll.
Speaker 11: Throw in the garbage. But my great friend Sam Farmer observed this.
Speaker 15: He's of course out Los Angeles Times, a brilliant writer, but he was. He was in the booth and stopped by during the AFC Championship game, and he observed it, and he wrote a little vignette about it.
Speaker 11: He said, I travel my own ketchup, which got some reaction from some people, like you put ketchup on a hot don And I used to be a mustard guy, but now ever since saying I have two young children, they go ketchup and Kevin McHale are Kevin McHale in the booth that has been with us for over thirty years, travels a bottle of ketchup, Okay, I didn't ask him.
Speaker 15: To, but it makes life easier because when you go back and you get your hot dog and you're on the clock, you get those little packets that you're trying to tear them open, and invariably they splatter all over your tie or shirt and one of them is never enough and you're trying to like fight off the end of it. Get two or three, So that's it. Halftime is three quarters of a hot dog. And I'm gonna miss him. I'm going to miss him now until September the tenth.
Speaker 2: We're talking to Jim Nance of course, the lead voice with CBS, and he'll be there at the Masters watching Tiger yesterday. I'm trying to figure out bigger picture, what is Tiger going to do with golf? Can you see a senior tour?
Speaker 3: How many? How many of you do not see senior tour?
Speaker 11: I don't see that because I think he can still be competitive about here. Believe it or not.
Speaker 15: I know that we don't have a big sample size since his ankle surgery last April after the Masters, and that's the last time he'd played before yesterday. But well, he played in of course some of the December tournaments that the father's son event, those aren't official, and the one down in the Bahamas that that he hosts. But he's still I mean, he's still hitting it out there as long as you know, the top third of the tour and he's Tiger Woods. So I thought it was pretty impressive yesterday that he shot seventy two in his first competitive round excuse me, in nine months.
Speaker 11: So the Senior Tour, that's not in his that's not in his mindset right now.
Speaker 15: He's going to do a good round of the day because the field gets trimmed to top fifty in ties or anyone with in ten shots of the lead, and he's hovering right around fiftieth out of the seventy man field. But he's hosting, he's back, he's playing a little bit later today, and if he doesn't make the cut, I anticipate he'll be spending some of the weekends sitting up with the booth next to me and Trevor Immlman hosting his tournament.
Speaker 3: But then there's something about Augusta.
Speaker 11: He'll be there.
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, he'll be I really think that we don't have to watch this, you know, we'd still have to see if he can walk seventy two holes without his endurance and his swing falling apart because everything's a little bit off of this balance and distribution of weight, etc.
Speaker 11: I'm talking science here.
Speaker 15: I'm not qualified to do, especially when it comes to Tiger, But I actually think that he'll be competitive at Augusta this year.
Speaker 2: You had the call of Kansas City Jackpot. When does that come to you that if they happen to win, you're going to use that.
Speaker 15: As they're marching down the field. I knew I wanted to put something that had to do with Las Vegas. And then moreover, I'm so glad you brought this up because you sparked it. You had Brent on last week week Brent Musburger right before I came on the show, and I had had dinner the previous evening with Brent, and I idolized Brent. I have since I walked in the door in nineteen eighty five. And Brent was the play by play voice of the Raiders up until a year ago. You know that, and he used to use Jackpot in his touchdown calls for the Raiders. So during the broadcast on Sunday, they introduced the next Hall of Fame class to be inducted in Canton in August, and I mean it just came to me as they were out there and we put up a graphical all the names, all the great deserving figures, and it just came to me on the spot, kind of like Jackpot did that This was a window with a very big audience to get across the message that you started, and that was that Brent Musburger needs to receive the Pete Rosell Award for Media Excellence and be in the broadcasters wing of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
Speaker 11: And I took it upon that moment.
Speaker 3: No, it was great just to say it. I appreciate it.
Speaker 15: It felt really good about it, and you know, you should feel good about it, and you started it. And then to be able to have the touchdown call in Las Vegas where he lives, with some derivative of the way he used to call touchdowns for the Raiders, it felt right. You know, It's not something I went into the game thinking that's what I was going to do. First off, you can't imagine you're gonna have a walk off touchdown for a game that's going to go five quarters. So yeah, I'm really I'm really proud that I could channel Brent in that call.
Speaker 11: It was great.
Speaker 2: I know you're struggling with your voice. I appreciate you joining us, and you know, maybe maybe let your wife have some room to talk a little bit.
Speaker 3: Maybe you just listen now when you're at home.
Speaker 15: Okay, Well, I'm going to go out this morning and have breakfast with our good friend Al Michaels and some other buddies.
Speaker 11: And I think you're you're you're having Doc on.
Speaker 3: Are you gonna Are you gonna play?
Speaker 17: Al?
Speaker 11: I'm going to try to play a few holes. I told him.
Speaker 15: I can't guarantee I'm going to go three or four five holes. Maybe I'll make it nine holes, but I'm planning on teeing it up. And this the point is, you got to tell Doc because this was Doc's daily game. So I'm supplanning Doc in the foursome. This would have he definitely would have been playing if he wasn't coaching.
Speaker 2: Okay, does Al call your shots? Does he do play by play on you and you do house call him play by play?
Speaker 3: Do you believe in double bogies?
Speaker 16: Yes?
Speaker 15: I mean, you know that's going to be parted here a little bit later we probably other shots.
Speaker 11: Uh, and it's a lot of fun. I played more.
Speaker 15: Golf in a year without than I do any other individual, So whatever that adds up to. I've probably played fifteen times a year, maybe six or seven of them are without, and we settle into a pretty good flow of things. Were both Uh, well, I can't speak for aut My game's going in the wrong direction right now. Hopefully we can rally a little bit here with some time off and more March, but I'm looking forward to it. And and please thank Doc for me for for opening up a spot and force.
Speaker 3: The great to talk to you. Tell Al we said hello, Thanks again, Jim.
Speaker 11: Thanks Dan and all the dan Ets love you.
Speaker 3: Guys, Jim Dance Hall of Famer, Hello friends.
Speaker 2: And uh no March madness for him this year, but he'll be there at AUGUSTA.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Al Michaels loves to play golf. He plays at bel Air and he's he's he loves to play. He doesn't play well, but he loves to play. But if you're a if you're a broadcaster and you're doing play by play, I would love to have a camera crew follow them mic them up.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 7: See, I just even think the idea of like you're the server and you walk up to the table and these guys are all ordering breakfast, and it's like, I'll have the toast and eggs, and everybody's got this unbelievable, silky smooth delivery, one after the other.
Speaker 3: Hello Friends, I'll take the French toes.
Speaker 8: Yes, tell me about Hello Friends too.
Speaker 7: I was out yesterday somewhere in public, like just at like a soccer thing, not really paying attention, and the two guys behind me when they showed up, just random people I didn't know. The one guy was like, hey, what's up, dude, and the other guy went, Hello friends.
Speaker 8: Like man, that is just a thing that people have really grabbed onto.
Speaker 3: Hello Friends.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take a break. Phone calls coming up. We're back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 3: Interesting day.
Speaker 2: Yesterday post show, we taped the Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble podcast, and of course Dylan the graphics guy lost to Super Bowl Bets to Shan Irving and the loser had to get a Riba McIntyre tattoo. It turns out that that they weren't losers. They were really anxious to get a Riba McIntyre tattoo. Riba sent her autograph, and then we had tattoo artists who came in and then put that on Dylan's back. And here's a portion of Dan Patrick takes a gamble yesterday. Dylan is getting his tattoo on his back, prepping him. They're shaving his back right now. It's gonna take an hour looking at your body. You're you're Patrick Mahomes the weed whacker. To get the rest of that back here too, Yeah, yeah, yeah, yes you are. You're an MV pig. We're underway, Dan, Okay, can I hear some of that?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Oh I like that done? Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 5: I was hoping I was gonna have to lean over any further because it's not exactly a more flattering position.
Speaker 2: So all right, So Dylan got his tattoo, and then Shayan Irving goes, I want one as well, So he got it on his thigh and it says Reba, and then ninety point five that was the amount of time that she needed to complete the national anthem, and Shan Irving took the over and ended up winning his bet. Dan Patrick takes a gamble that's available at danpatrick dot com. I need a little time away from those guys, Shan Irving, Dylan and bad Larry. You know, we're going to take a week off next week. Then we'll be back gambling because March Madness will be coming up as well. By the way, I don't I know the commissioner of Major League Baseball listens to the show and he comes on the show, and I thought he was channeling me a little bit. Rob Manfred announced that he was retiring, and then he followed that up by saying in twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Hello, who did that?
Speaker 8: That's your bet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm retiring dot dot dot in four years. And now the commissioner is doing that. So he decided that, and you know what, he gets a lot of heat on social media, a lot of heat. But I think some of the things that he's implemented have grown the game, will make the game better, have made the game aim better. But he does it always feels like the Commissioner Major League Baseball maybe says one thing too many, like he'll talk. He's not, you know, as kind of presidential is Roger Goodell is you know Roger Goodell is you know, I'm just gonna give you a nuts and bolts. I'm not going to color outside the lines. Rob Manford, He'll sometimes say, well, you know, the World Series Trophy is what just a bunch of metal when you're talking about the Astros, And it feels like there's always a little bit more that he's willing to say. Adam Silver Will will sometimes color outside the lines, but Roger Goodell does not. But Rob Manfred feels like social media. But does any fan base like their commissioner. Every time Gary Bettman goes out on the ice to hand out the Stanley Cup, he gets booed. I don't know what he did. I mean, I think I think fans like Adam Silver I don't know, are fans ambivalent with Roger Goodell? And I get the draft they boo him, but then he goes, oh yeah, bring it on, like he's like he really loves being booed, which I can't imagine. But and Rob Manfred, I don't know, it feels like commissioner comes out handing out on an award, you're just booing, yeah, pulling.
Speaker 9: You know with Rob Manfred the Astros thing is going to be a big tag on him. But the change in the pitch clock and everything last year, and the ratings are up, the TV ratings and in person ratings, that's his real legacy. He enacted that and did it. And on the other one with Roger Goodell, I love Roger Goodell.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I don't have mon but I don't know if it's him or his people or his business model. But all he does in my lifetime is provide me more football, and that's all I really care about. I mean, the discipline stuff that's between him and the players. Like every year Roger Goodell brings me more football and more access to football. I'm good with that. More the draft is bigger, the better. There's more football to watch on TV, there's more access to it.
Speaker 18: I don't know.
Speaker 9: I never had a problem with him. I love him on the show.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I don't know how much credit i'd give him.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is the commissioner, but yeah, this is an empire that he's running.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it seems like he's steering a cruise ship. He's not the guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, you know he's not building the ship, yeah, not servicing the ship, but he's there.
Speaker 3: He's the one who's got the captain's hat on, looks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets to be there when you take the bottle of champagne and they break it. Oh, by the way, E me, I had George Kittle and George Cavlocus going to the same school Carloft that he went to Purdue and George Kittle went to Iowa. So there's this video out there when Christian McCaffrey fumbles. George Kittle's blocking him and he's like hey George, and George doesn't say anything. Kittle has his back to the ball and George dives on the football and recovers that ball. So it's the awkward moment there. George Kittle doesn't know McCaffrey is fumbled, he's he's engaging blocking him, and then all of a sudden he's like hey George, and then all of a sudden, Georgia right for the ball. Get a couple of phone calls we'll hear from Doc Rivers and let me see where are we going? Uh Andrew and Iowa? Hi Andrew, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Hey?
Speaker 18: DP, first time long time from the CIF Days five ten and bucks fifty five. Yeah, it was blessed last night to witness her story at Carver Hawkeye Arena with my twelve year old daughter. The place was electric as you saw on Peacock TV, and it seemed like there were just as many young kids in the stands as there were adults, which is awesome, absolutely crazy and magical moment. So I loved Seaton, but struckled at its take on the pre show. Looking there was no reason for Caitlin to take the record breaking shot from the logo with only two minutes into the game. Well, that is pretty much the exact reason why Caitlin was in the position she was in, because she makes those shots. She earned the green light logo trees and fluted and guess what her passion bucket.
Speaker 3: Was full le look at that. Andrew, Okay, Corey and Iowa Hi Corey.
Speaker 17: Hey Dan, how are we doing the great A H five nine A soft one fifty. I just have to say that I've been to many events at Carbara Hawky Arena, and in twenty nineteen I went to Iowa Penn State Wrestling and thought, you know, this is probably the loudest it's ever going to be. Well, last night was arguably ten times louder than that. I mean, it was insane. And the best part about the whole night was I took my five year old daughter with me and just to watch her sit there and just kind of stare in awe as to what was going on was just awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know how this is going to affect somebody until five years, seven years, ten years, Just like Steph Curry, the impact that Steph Curry has had on basketball.
Speaker 3: To be felt for a long, long, long time.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marvin, you know what you'll see in about five or six years, girls playing college basketball.
Speaker 11: We'll be wearing twenty two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you see little kids.
Speaker 10: Now wearing thirty or wherever you are, Patrick Mahome's wearing fifteen, you'll see a lot of twenty twos.
Speaker 16: Rob in Orange County, Hi, Rob, Hi, mister Patrick. I want to say a small story. I used to play ball with Kelsey Plumb and it was at La Fitness in Poway, and it was so neat because her dad, Jim Plumb, the quarterback from San Diego States, he told me cover her and I would cover her.
Speaker 19: But she would shoot over top of me. And by the way, five ten, she's five eight, and she was an awesome baller. Thank you, thank you, Marvin for doing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm glad that she's she's getting some record ignition now that she didn't get before. I don't remember it being a big deal when she became the all time leading scorer in women's basketball, but the fact that Caitlyn had to surpass her and now people bringing up her name so indirectly getting a little attention that she certainly deserves. And she's playing in the WNBA.
Speaker 10: Yes, Marv, to be a phenomenon, do you have to transcend sports?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, probably.
Speaker 2: You know, Fernando Mania was on the nightly New like you get not just your hardcore sports fans. Now it becomes a topic of conversation with people probably don't talk sports, and Caitlin Clark has certainly been there, and I think that's welcoming that you do have a conversation, and it's conversations that even men who play basketball talking about this. Tom Brady on social media, Peyton Manning on social media, Angel Reese on social media. They all reached out out to her to say, hey, congratulations, and Kelsey Plumb did the same thing. Reached out to her. It's bigger than just hey, you broke the old time scoring record. It's the way you do it. Coming up Final Hour. Major League Baseball has a uniform issue. They changed the uniforms, the feel, the fabric, the look. Why Final Hour on the way