Speaker 1: I'm definitely a little more discombobulated today because it's we're doing something a little different today.
Speaker 2: We are doing something a little different today. I'm excited for it. I have to laugh though, because, in usual ME fashion, what'd you do? I watched the next recap that we're doing for next week.
Speaker 1: Oh, I watched that. I watched that too, before we decided we were doing what we're doing.
Speaker 2: I watched it last night and Joy Judy, what hold on? Wait, I've watched it. And then I was like, let me see if Maddie has.
Speaker 1: Uh put the run down? She's I was in the drive.
Speaker 2: Let me just take a look at it because TAS is gonna be on, so like, let's let me see. I never do that, Okay, Oh I never?
Speaker 1: You know, me like, I'll get it here. I'm like, let's go. Every table read gone.
Speaker 2: I was prepared, thank you very much, or was trying to be, because I realized that I was incredibly underprepared because I did not watch the movie. And then I was like, oh my god. So I stayed up and watched the movie.
Speaker 1: Stayed up.
Speaker 2: I was up till nine thirty. Okay, this is a late look. I've been going to bed at like eight pm. I just it's that's any end of the day. I'm like, I'm so over stimulated and just exhausted with the yeah, all of it. But yeah, so I did watch the movie Don't Worry, don't worry. But I had to laugh because here I was like thinking, look at me go and being all prepared like I usually do. And I've learned double check that because usually when I think I I'm prepared.
Speaker 1: I'm prepared for the wrong thing. That's a sign. That's a red flag if you're feeling prepared.
Speaker 2: Right, if I'm feeling prepared, I'm like, something feels off here, something feels off. But yeah, I checked the run down and I was like, oh my god, right the movie. Yes, oh, we're doing the thing.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, yeah, and then I watched the movie and.
Speaker 2: Then uh oh man to rewind a little bit, we are doing something different here on how rud Tannerito is today. We have watched a movie that has nothing to do with Fuller Fuller House other than the fact that Lori Lachlin is in.
Speaker 1: Right, right, Yeah, that's the thread, that's the connecting thread.
Speaker 2: That's and an entire episode of full House was based on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, this is this is very timely. You know, we just reviewed the Secret admire episode of Full House. We did the reenactment a few weeks before that, and just when you can't get enough Secret Admirer, here we are. We're gonna review movie today. Yep. The movie was When did the movie come out? Nineteen eighty five? When I came out three? Oh you were three, okay? So I was three old, Okay I had I have no memory of this, Like I've never seen story. I would never have even heard of you.
Speaker 2: I am not great with eighties movies, Like there are so many classic eighties movies that I haven't seen because I was little, Like I was like child child, you know. I was born eighty two, so like some of the classic movies that came out in eighty five or eighties is like I was three or four, Like it didn't register for me, you know. So there's a lot of ones. I had not seen this one.
Speaker 1: But it was so eighties.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I just I love eighties movies. I grew up with two older brothers, So God pretty much.
Speaker 2: To John Hughes, Pretty and PAINK.
Speaker 1: Sixteen Candles, Breakfast, Breakfast Club, like see I watched Sixteen Candles and I was like, okay, it was cute. Oh, just not gonna know. This was just like you live to watch these movies. They were so good.
Speaker 2: Do you remember hold on random tangent here moment happened? Do you remember property Bob?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you remember his niece was Molly Ringwold shut up? No, yes, I didn't know that. Did she have to say that because they don't have the same last name, do they?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, but they But like that was like a bunch of people knew that.
Speaker 1: Did you not know that? I didn't. I didn't. I either didn't know. I'm justmaster.
Speaker 2: I believe it he was.
Speaker 1: It was his niece, wow, niece or grand niece because he was a little bit older.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, yeah, but anyway, that's the connection there to yeah, to Molly Ring.
Speaker 1: Another connection to Fullhobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. So she never came to set. I didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, I was no, No, she didn't come to set or anything.
Speaker 1: But I don't know. I honestly don't know how I knew that or how I found it out. But this is what you excel at. I'mbering random facts out of context. Even.
Speaker 2: I was like, let me pick up on this weird information that no one else that's gonna come in handy thirty seven years later on a podcast, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here we are you sweeting you very much, I'm prepared today. Wow. Okay, fun fact. Love that fun fact. But yeah, no, I had never heard of this movie until I met Laurie. Didn't remember until we did this podcast that the secret Admire episode of Full House is based on this movie. It was delightful. I was thinking it would be I was expecting like a bomb. I was like, oh, this this movie probably bombed, which is why I never really heard of it.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: It was fantastic. This is right up there with the John Hughes movies. Like I loved it, Like spoiler alert, I thought this was fantastic. Okay, Jody Duck can tell by your face you disagree. They ain't gonna be good today.
Speaker 2: You know what I was now, I guess like the Goonies was really the only like like teen Crew, and they were younger, you know what I mean? They were like that was the only like teen Crew movie that I really got into. The rest of them was like this is I just never I never I don't know, it's not.
Speaker 1: It was never my thing. Okay, that's right, it's not. But that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 2: Look, the movie was adorable. I loved seeing baby.
Speaker 1: Laurie, Baby baby Laurie, Baby Laurie. She must have been like twenty years old when she Oh my god, god, yeah, nineteen eighty five. She just turned to say, yeah, so about twenty twenty one, twenty. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Baby whole baby cheeks, like I know, I know. And the bangs, all that hair.
Speaker 1: Oh, the feathered bangs.
Speaker 2: Oh LORI I was like, is that a wig? She's weary like her hair just so Lauri. Remember Laurie was becky with the good.
Speaker 1: Hair, with good hair. Yeah, yeah, yeah, she just Laura's always had great hair. I just have no.
Speaker 2: I don't think I've ever seen her with like super long hair like that.
Speaker 1: It was very long, very long. Yeah. The bangs were long and feathered. Oh glorious, so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just so much, so much eighties happening. Well, let's uh, let's start kind of at the at the listen to the thing.
Speaker 1: Let me introduce the show. We're seven minutes in. Let me introduce, let me introduce us. In case people don't know who we are by now, welcome back to how Rude tan Ritos. I'm Andrea Barber and I'm Jody Sweeten did coffee sip cheers yeay, And today we're discussing Secret Admirer, which came out on June fourteenth, nineteen eighty five. So this is great. Should we should we do our normal routine here? That directed by written by starring Sure why not? Yeah? Yeah, okay. I'm like we could change it up completely or keep it sort of similar. I don't know, Okay.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I just had a minor technical difficulty where my iPad wouldn't scroll, and I was like, this is the thing, this is what's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: This is what's going to delay. We started early and now we're going to be delayed. Yeah, okay, okay. So this movie was directed by David Greenwalt. It was written by Jim coof Sure Okay, and it's spelled like poof but with a K. He's very uncouf uncouf sorry and terrible joke. I'll see myself and we've got the cast is stacked, man, the cast is stacked. And I didn't I didn't research all of these people. So everyone just chime in here and fill in the gaps. But uh, first we have see Thomas Howell as Michael Ryan. He where did he go? Man? Because he was so he was in the outsiders. He was the kid.
Speaker 2: He was part of the little brat pack of the eighties, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: I just think he wasn't quite as well known or he didn't quite as far for some reason.
Speaker 2: See Thomas Howell. Uh, I think I just think of Thurston Howl.
Speaker 1: But I always expect.
Speaker 2: Like like an older rich guy and a white hat, you know what I mean, And they're like, oh no, wait, that's right, this kid.
Speaker 1: Okay, he should have changed his name because that I think that's why you know he wasn't quite as popular as the other blackpackers, is because right people, Or.
Speaker 2: He just should have gone with the full three neighbor, you know what I mean, Christopher Thomas Howe, like the.
Speaker 1: Full yeah, and at a third you know, Christopher Christopher Thomas.
Speaker 2: Christopher Thomas Howl, the third Yeah. He should have got off the island and then now he's here.
Speaker 1: We should have managed this man's career. You know, he would have gone so far. But he's a fantastic actor.
Speaker 2: He did Okay, did great?
Speaker 1: Thomas did great? What are you thinking of? Like Rob Low and like all you know, it's it's just not Yeah, he's still acting. Okay, he's still acting to this day. Maybe I've offended him. Sorry to see Thomas.
Speaker 2: How Now see the how Letts are gonna come after us? There there, it's gonna be a mess. We're gonna be just canceled, ripped to shreds on the internet.
Speaker 1: Rate apologies to the howl Lets and see Thomas how the third we I apologize, You're fantastic actor. I wish I had seen you in more things. That is the sentiment I'm trying to express. She's like, just move on, stop digging and move on right, just stop now. Next do we have Lori Lachlan as Tony Williams, The just illuminous Lori Lachlan. I don't tell you what she's done. We know what she's done, but she's just she's just perfect for this role. I mean, we'll get there, but the casting was just top notch in this film. Then we have Kelly Preston as Deborah Ann Fimple. Oh man, this was I got a little sad watching this because yeah, she's not with us anymore. But yeah, again, perfectly cast. What a beauty man. Oh yeah, she was great. She brought it. She was great.
Speaker 2: The name though, the Deborah Ann fimple fe. What a great name, and like Deborah Ann.
Speaker 1: Like it's such a like, Yeah, she's a snooty like Deborah Ann is a little bit has to be that sort of right.
Speaker 2: She's the popular girl that dates the you know, jock college dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, well well named well cast. I totally agree. We have d Wallace Stone as Connie Ryan. She was the Mommy Tea. She played My Mom and Skateboard Kid two more importantly, Oh my god, I love her. We should review Skateboard Kid too, because that is just talk about movies that didn't make it big movie review. Yeah, so yeah, you lovely woman, consummate professional, just played just a wonderful, wonderful mom. She's known as a screen queen too, because she did a lot of horror films in the seventies. Yeah, so yeah, she's she's great. Yeah I was.
Speaker 2: I went back and watch ETEA and then did a whole bit in my stand up about like when you go back and watch it as an adult you realize this poor mother, you know, yeah, oh gosh, yeah, got she's got one kid getting drunk and releasing frogs at school. She was a four year old home by herself. You know, an alien, sorry alien. She has no idea, you know what I mean? Like her husband's got this poor late his mother without the alien.
Speaker 1: I might have an alien in my house right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: You you haven't seen motherhood until you've just covered an alien in your house.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 1: Anyway, she's fantastic. Then we have Cliff de Young as George Ryan. He was he was fine, Like I don't know, I got feelings about him as well, but he was fine, adequate as the dad Michael's dad, he was a very eighties dad type. Yeah he was. I didn't know if the character was supposed to be kind of nerdy or like square. That's how he played it, and so I was like, okay, yeah, but yeah, I think that was that was that was the intention. Then he did fantastic. We have Lee Taylor Young as Elizabeth Fimple, Fred Ward as Lou Fimple, which fantastic, Like this guy steals in the show practically, like he is just the angry cop dad he was like needed his own.
Speaker 2: It was I was like, like, you, sir, are in a sketch that just every time you come in it takes a serious turn.
Speaker 1: Yes, so good. He was an escape from Alcatraz and a whole lot of other things. But yeah, just a fantastic actor. Casey Samasco as Roger Despard. He was funny. I relate to that character kind of the and it was the kid from Stranger Things.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, he kind of the kid from Strangers exactly, the kid.
Speaker 1: From Stranger Things. He did, he did, and he did great. He was very funny in the scenes.
Speaker 2: There's the eighties always had the weird, wacky you know. I mean, well that was you, that was me. So I really liked this character.
Speaker 1: Scott McGinnis as Steve Powers, the jock. He was a great jock, just angry testosterone. Yeah, it's just one of those dudes you're like, oh, I'll just give you a wide birth. And last, but certainly not least, Corey Haim as a little brother Jeff Ryan. I didn't even recognize him. I was like, because he was.
Speaker 2: So it was you know, pre pre Cory and Corey pre yeah, heart throb all of that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, oh it was he did. He did great as a little money stealing little brother. And yeah, I'm glad he made he made an appearance. Here where to watch it. You can watch it on to Be for free with I now have to be. I didn't have it.
Speaker 2: I didn't have it, and now I have it, and I was like, there's a lot of stuff on here. So but by the way, know we're not being paid by two We say that, but.
Speaker 1: I just we just watched it. That's where it's available. That's the one place you can watch it unless you have it on DVD, I guess. Or yeah, you feel like two B is the place for some deep dives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and remember that show that was on Yeah, and then it'll be there.
Speaker 1: And this is how you know. I'm just I'm gonna get on a soapbox a little bit. This is how streamers should be commercials. I know everybody hates commercials. They say our podcast has too many ads. These streamers have too many. I believe in ads. This is how we get paid people. So I will watch as many commercials as needs.
Speaker 2: You know what We've gotten so out of the habit of watching commercials. It has to do with our attention culture, Like if I'm not being entertained at every moment throughout I mean even like this movie, you know, it was like the pacing event. Like there were times that I would like be in a scene and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like it could it's a point.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, oh wait, wait, wait eighty and then and then I really have to like stop and be like no eighties movie pacing, which just.
Speaker 1: There was room.
Speaker 2: They gave you time, you had conversations. Now it's like if you're not like snap, snap snap, getting to the next.
Speaker 1: Point, people do now people don't. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Actually think it's kind of like it was a little frustrating at first, but then I was like, oh, but I can go fill my water up right.
Speaker 1: Exactly, get a snack, you can take a putty break, you know, you can get your dog. There's a lot of ways to or just watch the commercials. We should have stopped it. We should have stopped a TV. Uh here we are. I loved t v O. I miss TVO.
Speaker 2: We need pause, just just pause a live TV.
Speaker 1: Thing, yeah, and like make it be a VCR. There you go. Now, look what you're gonna be rant about Facebook in a minute?
Speaker 2: We are old ladies. Sorry everyone, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Hey, this is our this is our demographic. All the people out the four year old there like, here's our. Here's a very quick sort of synopsis. Michael Ryan has been in love with Deborah Ann Pimple for as long as he can remember, not realizing that his female best friend Tony Williams also known as Lori Lachlan, is secretly pining for him. After Michael receives a love letter on the last day of school, his best friend Roger convinces him it's from Deborah. This prompts Michael to leave Deborah an anonymous love letter in return, and soon the two begin a relationship while a jealous Tony is forced to watch from afar. Meanwhile, the letter is found by Deborah's parents and Michael's parents, sparking suspicion and accusations of philandering among all of them. There was a lot going on. It was wild. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: There was a point where I was like wait, wait, wait what.
Speaker 1: Who put the letter?
Speaker 2: Oh no, wait, how did you get it there?
Speaker 1: Why do you?
Speaker 2: And like yeah, there were moments where I was like, wait, why would you do that? You know, like it just just there were actions taken where you were like why would you what are you doing? Why would you hide it in the thing or in the you know? But again it's.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I imagine it's tricky to write something like this with so many moving parts. But there was more than one letter, and it was written by like LORI rewrote Michael's letters, and so like, there was a lot of letters.
Speaker 2: I was raped the thing and that, yeah, there was there. There was a lot of letters, a lot of my dearest I don't know, I.
Speaker 1: Was, and a lot of parents that were getting to crossing and getting together. So I was like, oh, wait, is that Michael's dad or is that Deborah's dad? Like it was a little confused. Well, Debora's dad was the cop r Yes. He was like, oh yeah, she's got the cop she's got Yeah, of course she has the angry dad that's overbearing. That was right in with the stereotype.
Speaker 2: When Okay, so you like the overall thoughts on the.
Speaker 1: Movie, you loved it? Is it? I think this is a hidden gem. I think this is like Breakfast Club meet Serano de Bergerac and I loved it. I love it. I love the eighties, but I love the eighties. Thinks were simple and entertaining. They weren't overproduced, and I love that. I like the slower pace, I like the hygiinks. I usually love all of it. There's nothing I don't love about the eighties. Okay, yeah, and yeah.
Speaker 2: I was not as excited about it, but I didn't like. I didn't hate it, you know what I mean. But it's just not it's.
Speaker 1: Not my kind of jam, not your cup of tea, okay, not like would you have watched it? I mean if we were of course we're doing this today, so you had to watch it. But if it weren't for LORI, would you have ever picked this picked this movie? Absolutely, let's watch No. No, So it's just not in your wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't rom coms.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's always the irony, but there there I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't watch them. I don't like Okay, yeah, so yeah, you'd rather watch movies about aliens or horror films or things like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you need more guns, dark things? Yeah ot, yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I respect that. That's fine. You know, we can appreciate this movie for the time period it was made, and oh boy, was it.
Speaker 2: I found like every five to eight minutes, I would be like, oh oh, Like there were.
Speaker 1: Moments when I was like, oh we said that, okay.
Speaker 2: Oh are you talking about the eighties, like like the slang you know, like just just the cash will you know, racism and sexism and the I will say it felt like it was a totally unnecessary shot of Kelly Preston's.
Speaker 1: Boobs twice but you see her boobs.
Speaker 2: That was the like that was the eighties movie, Like if you had a cute girl in it, you had to show their movies and so that for me, I was like, oh, this is so the eighties And I was like damn, yeah, yeah we did just just had to like show the boobs, which you know, no, fine what EV's but like it felt.
Speaker 1: Unnecessary, It felt weird. It definitely definitely wasn't needed.
Speaker 2: I think that's the thing now is that you don't is that now you kind of go oh, yeah, it's not like like if it fits in the story, it works, But like in these types of movies and the you know whatever, you were like, I don't know that we really could have guessed figured it out.
Speaker 1: You know, you could just tangle the camera so it's from like the top of the bosom up so you don't see nipple work.
Speaker 2: Right, are I mean? Hey, look, she was what twenty rocket while you got it? You know what I mean? Yea great bubs, you know, yeah, I mean they were in frame. She waited another twenty five years. You would have had to, you know, shoot it in a medium. You kind of widen the frame.
Speaker 1: Out a little bit, a little lower. You know, you sang load do they travel to? Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, your favorite song? Yeah, so you know what, it's fine, let her have it. Yeah, you know, congrats her.
Speaker 1: Boobs are immoralized forever in secret admirer, you know, yeah, God bless Preston. Oh right, Kelly Preston. Okay, sorry, I'm sorry. Did I just say I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: I don't know why that literally was a thought that I had and I didn't even I'm sorry. We haven't gotten through, like the first question, we knew this was going to happen. This no one expected.
Speaker 1: This is us prepared.
Speaker 2: This is what we do.
Speaker 1: When we're prepared, we go off the rails. Usually I can anticipate when you're gonna make a funny or you're gonna say safe than sarcastic. But I sometimes that one.
Speaker 2: Just came out of I know, I didn't like I thought it and it and I said it. That happens sometimes and I'm like, oh, yeah, there want that filter.
Speaker 1: You know that pause.
Speaker 2: That's when I that's when I really remind myself of Bob.
Speaker 1: Oh my godness.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean. When happens.
Speaker 1: There were so many times.
Speaker 2: You would be like, oh no.
Speaker 1: You didn't think that. You didn't think that just came out, didn't it.
Speaker 2: And they do that a lot now.
Speaker 1: So your Bob is showing through absolutely. Yeah, okay, recovering.
Speaker 2: Okay, I do like when I make you laugh like that, I'll take it as a win.
Speaker 1: I'll take it as a win every time I try to keep us on track. There you go, Jody is just gonna throw me off the track and make me laugh.
Speaker 2: Tears.
Speaker 1: Okay, where are we? What are we talking about?
Speaker 2: I'm going to put you in the front row of every comedy show.
Speaker 1: I ever do. Yeah, I'll laugh enough for the whole audience. Oh it's great. Yeah, okay, back to the back to the show. Back to the show. Okay, So we talked about our expectations. Was it better or worse. What was it better or worse than you expected? Like, you know, you're not a fans the.
Speaker 2: Same I expected, you know, eighties high jinks, high school movie. It was exactly that was that fell right in line with what I expected. It met its Okay, yes, yes, exceed what it.
Speaker 1: Exceeded my expectations. Like I said before, I thought it bombed. When maybe it did, I don't, I don't know. But it was way better than I was expecting. It was. It was a perfect eighties movie.
Speaker 2: I mean it was no Gleaming the Cube, but whatever, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I thought it. I thought it was great. I mean there's a few I had a few problems with it, with certain aspects of it, but no, I thought it was. It was way better than I was expecting. I enjoyed it so much. Michael, my boyfriend, I made him watch it too. He thought it was great. So okay, yeah, okay, good great.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I like, I don't know. I'm like, okay, there's nothing else to say to that, else to say, right, like wonderful. I what did did any of it remind you of any of your high school experience?
Speaker 1: Oh? Well, yes, the only thing I could really relate to was having a secret crush on somebody who didn't like me back, you know that like that. It was just my whole life relate to that. But I never went to like parties. I never I was never cool enough to be part of that crowd. And we were you know, I was working too, So that's where you're out of it as well. So yeah, high school experience was working.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mine was a little Mine definitely was a little more like this, but you know what it was. I just kept watching it and going, oh, look at them without their phones?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and.
Speaker 2: A handwritten letter playing Frisbee in the background.
Speaker 1: I was like, look at look at them. Go Yeah. It was a great kind of nice to say. It was a great time.
Speaker 2: Did you like the full House episode better or the movie better? I mean it sounds like it's gonna be hard to beat the movie for you.
Speaker 1: You really no?
Speaker 3: What did it?
Speaker 1: Let me see my notes? I like them. I liked them eat for different reasons. I think the movie had a little more depth to it because it was based on real well yeah, yeah, it was ninety minutes, not twenty two minutes, right, But it was based on a character's real feelings. Lourie had real feelings for Cee Thomas Howell, whereas in Full House it was rusty just playing a prank, like nobody actually wasn't.
Speaker 2: But there wasn't right, Yeah, the stakes the stakes were relatively low in that like it wasn't true, but everyone assumed it to be. So that was yes, yes, yeah, I liked the Full House episode better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, I think I think for.
Speaker 2: Me, the letter idea got played out a little bit, you know what I mean. I felt like I was like, this is a great sitcom episode, but I was kind of like, okay, how many we got letters flying everywhere?
Speaker 1: We're how much more were we gonna do? You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And like, I don't know, I think for me, I was like kind of by the end.
Speaker 1: I was like, let's get gets the point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, maybe that's just me and my ADHD. Maybe it's me and the fact that I've have no attention because of phones.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it felt a little uh yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's like the joke works for a twenty two minute show, but does it for ninety?
Speaker 1: Right? They definitely had to stretch, which is why I think they added the parents the b storyline sort of miscommunicating about the letter.
Speaker 2: Is a whole other thing.
Speaker 1: By the way, Yeah, this is my grape. This is my grape.
Speaker 2: When are you?
Speaker 1: Is it the gripe?
Speaker 2: When the when the the nerdy dad kisses the teacher and then like basically uh like just assault like just makes out with her, totally violates boundaries. She's like, what happened? He leaves and then they went but then they're like, no, it's a I don't know that. For me, I was like, bro, what because she was not into it.
Speaker 1: Well, she was curious. She was curious. She's like should we or shouldn't we? But she wasn't willing to cross the line, whereas the dad was very much like I need to fulfill this fantasy or I'll never forget about this. So yeah, it was. It was. I found the parent storyline sort of weird. I don't know. Yeah, I felt that it was weird that they gave almost as much attention to the parent storyline as they did to the teen storyline, And I, yeah, that felt unbalanced to me. It should have been more. This is a teen age rom com, they should have focused more on the teens, like eighty percent teens, twenty percent parents. But there was so many stench on the parents, and that there's a lot higher stakes with the parents, Like we're talking about adultery and marriages possibly breaking up. Like that's right, that's on high stake.
Speaker 2: They're all just miserable, you know what I mean, Like all four of them are like cool. I mean yeah, I no, no, I you know, I'm gonna go for it.
Speaker 1: Not communicating bridge the bridge for me, this is the story.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's focus on the Bridge Club, Like what are they swingers? You know what I mean? Like maybe that's what made it's quote unquote bridge club.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Oh yeah, I see any pineapples siding round, but uh sorry, I get it.
Speaker 2: For those that don't know, pineapples, I guess are a sign of swingers. So if you see someone with lots of pineapples outside of their house, uh.
Speaker 1: What if you just like the fruit? What if you just went to Hawaii and you're bringing home some pineapples, like, you know, don't misconstrue this. Let's you know, I'm gonna defend the pineapple here.
Speaker 2: Look, I have no problem with the pineapple or the swingers. I'm just saying that all of these, like all of this Bridge club is is a hotbed of potential adulters.
Speaker 1: Oh oh yeah, yeah that was awkward. That was such an awkward bridge club Like, oh my gosh, the tension.
Speaker 2: And then and then when it just exploded, I was like, wait, what, Like the thought I kept having throughout this whole movie is it so many times? Is if you changed the music. This entire scene changes tone.
Speaker 3: Oh, if it was more dramatic music, all you had to do instead of like going from like eighty synth pop yeah, to like some more intense orchestral piece.
Speaker 2: There's a there's like a huge fight that breaks out. There's all manner of very serious things that happen.
Speaker 1: There's a salt. Yeah, it's a there's AsSalt.
Speaker 2: There's right the cops like every time he comes on, it gets like weirdly dark and he's got.
Speaker 1: A gun, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like there is a lot here. Yeah, there's a lot here that I was Yeah, I was like they were playing.
Speaker 1: It last, so it just felt it felt a little discombobulated because yeah, there's a lot of assault, violence, rage, and they're playing it as like you know, it's sorry my printer just turned on. I don't know why you need to print. You need to print. Sometimes I didn't and it just made a noise for no reason. Sometimes they burn like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sorry, that startled me. Uh yeah, I just it was a yeah, I want a sequel of The Bridge Club, that's all.
Speaker 1: So you just want to see The Bridge Club? Okay, Okay, I think the parents they could have shrunk that down for sure a lot. Yeah, and made it maybe not quite so serious. I don't know. There was a disconnect for me with the seriousness of adultery per se.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm saying I think the four of them need to talk and work out, because obviously.
Speaker 1: They don't hate each other, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they're doing well, because there's no Michelle character, so there's no therapist to talk all of them that.
Speaker 2: There's not a toddler therapist. These people are flying blind. They have no idea. Are they supposed to make rational decisions?
Speaker 1: That makes sense? That makes sense? Okay, now it all makes sense now, got it? Okay?
Speaker 2: So I also like when I was watching the movie, I could like absolutely see what it was that Jeff saw in Laurie that she that he thought would be a good compliment to John, which is that like she's she is sort of this sweet, fresh faced whatever, but like the scene where she goes and just takes a baseball bat to the to Roger's band or whatever, you know, Like that was exactly and we've talked about this, exactly what Jesse needed was sweet, beautiful, kind, lovely, but like won't take his crap, right, you know. And I did like that about Tony. She finally was like I'm just scorched earth.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Oh she was perfect, so perfect. She's your classic girl next door, the classic beauty. She's the type of girl that doesn't realize just how beautiful she is, so that you know, makes her humble, right, Yeah, she's She was perfect in this role, almost almost too pretty to play, to play the secret Admira role.
Speaker 2: Right, She's kind.
Speaker 1: It was one of those things gorgeous.
Speaker 2: It's like boy and girl like best friendships with you know, sometimes it just kind of works. But yeah, it was a little hard to be.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, see Thomas Howe, like get it together, dude, Like how do you not see that she's in love with you and she's gorgeous. But but I guess that happened. So they did. They did try to like dress her down a little bit, you know, make her a little more dowdy.
Speaker 2: And you know, and you think about it, like maybe they've been friends since like elementary school. At that point, it's almost more like you know somebody you just know and it's not a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was for her. Yeah, when you meet his little kids and then you grow up, it could go one of two ways, you know, and you just remain friends, whether you turn into a swan or not. So no, yeah, I can absolutely see what Jeff saw in Laurie. Yeah, yeah, if they did.
Speaker 2: If we did a reboot of this movie twenty twenty five, making it.
Speaker 1: Again, Uh, what role would you play?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: What role would I play? Yeah? Well I would love to What role I would want to play is Lori's role, you know, because I'm not I'm not a Kelly Preston type, you know, I'm not. I'm not. I just relate more to the shy person who's crushing on somebody who doesn't like her back. So that's who I want to play. I would probably be type cast to play the wacky friend, That's right, you know, helping out with all the physical comedy and hygiens. So yeah, how about you. Who would you want to play the unhinged cop? For sure? Yeah? Just so fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, just be the weird you know, just have my side arm all the time and just be ready to like just lose my mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yes, oh man, you'd be great at that. That would be therapeutic to play a role like that where you just get to rage and just.
Speaker 2: Rage and sage against the machine. Yeah that would but yeah, no, that just as a silly like whatever. I'm like, I just switch it up. Make yeah, make the cop of Woman in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Five, which you have to update things a little bit. Oh yeah, for sure, for sure. No, that's you'd be perfect. You'd be perfect as unhinged anything unhinged. Really, you'd be perfect in that role. It's a compliments compliment great, yes, since you're a good actor. That's why. Because I'm not saying you stop, just stop.
Speaker 2: Remember what we said earlier, just stop while you're a head you're burying yourself. Uh okay, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that would be.
Speaker 2: Who are there any people that you would like? Who would you you cast like?
Speaker 1: If you were to in a recast the movie. Now, who would it be? Okay, Well, it's just this was a little hard for me. Where did I put? Where are my notes? I I cast them on? Where did it go? Sorry, this is really boring. No, that's okay. I wrote things down and now I can't find it, so I cast That's why I don't write things down. Well, I tried to pick teens like today's teens or young adults that would play the role, but I'm just not as familiar with them. I don't know any of them, like I put like they'd all be YouTubers anyway. Yeah, well, I would think like Sidney Sweeney as the role Deborah Fimple for sure, because she's just kind of like the the hot girl that can be materialistic and got a little bit of a you know, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's kind of yeah, I mean after euphoria, that's kind of what we all sort.
Speaker 1: Of see her as. Yeah.
Speaker 2: True, but yeah, no, that would that was a good one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would cast her as that. And I don't remember who else, but I did cant. I can't people who are our age or a little older, even though they're not teenagers. Here's who i'd want to see in a remake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, nothing, I mean this nothing matters.
Speaker 1: It's not nothing. This is real.
Speaker 2: So like, yeah, make them like people our age, I don't know whatever.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in the role of Laurie's role, in the role of Tony, I would put Carrie Russell. Okay, girl next door, sweet, you'd but kind of a badass as well, like Felicity Eric Carrie Russell. Yes, that's who she was. That's why she was so likable in Felicity because I remember, yeah, she doesn't realize, she didn't realize how beautiful she is. She's crushing on all these boys and yeah, it's it's she'd be perfect. I would put uh in the role of Debbie Pimple. Pimple. I put Beverley to Angelo. Bev would be great at that. Yeah, Bev. Sorry, we're we're on a Bev basis here. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I know her so, yeah I do. I had one of my baby showers at her house for a bee.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We had a lot of mutual friends and anyway, super random night together. Cool.
Speaker 1: So you just know her just casually as a friend, like you don't through a game night, just through game night thing that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I have God, I haven't seen her in years, but yeah, we all like there was a group of us that used to.
Speaker 1: Hang out and be friends. Talk to some of them. Yeah, time you see her, tell her I'm going to recast her as U. I will.
Speaker 2: I will be like, Hey, don't say anything. It's kind of the word's not out yet. You know, Variety hasn't released it, but we've got an opportunity for you, so I want Yeah, yeah, I'll just.
Speaker 1: Okay, sneak it on the slide, make it happen, Make it happen. I mean, I haven't seen her in fifteen years. That wouldn't be weird. No, not, that wouldn't be of place or weird at all. No, as Michael the c Thomas Howel. The third role, I would put Andrew McCarthy, just because you know, he's sort of just I don't know, like he's not like the super hot jock dude, but he's he's handsome and he's got a good Sure, Andrew McCarthy. Andrew McCarthy, he's from all of these eighties movies.
Speaker 2: He's That's why I can't picture him because I.
Speaker 1: Didn't watch him. Okay, well, he'd sure like if I saw a picture of me, like, oh yeah, that guy, you would recognize him. You would for sure recognize him. I know.
Speaker 2: I mean I know the name.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Like I'm just in my mind right now, I'm like, I can't I keep picturing Rob Low like everyone, I'm like, oh no, that's Rob Low.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, I think Roblo is too pretty. He's too pretty to play this role. But yeah, you need somebody that's see.
Speaker 2: Thomas Howell kept reminding me of Stevo from Jacket.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, he looks a lot like him. He does justice for see Thomas Howell. You know, how does he introduce himself? Do you think does he say, Hi, my name is se Thomas or my name is tom My you know three three hour tour? Like what how does he introduce himself? I mean I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like with a name like that, I'd be like, uh, you know, call me your howl or some I don't know.
Speaker 1: I make it a like official like your honor or something.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, if you got three names, if you if you're going three names and if you have Roman numerals after that, forget it.
Speaker 1: You can call yourself whatever you want. Well in an initial. It's so like he's he he sounds it's like a lawyer.
Speaker 2: It's a little mysterious.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: You like, oh, yeah, I know, I know your family name, but I don't know yours?
Speaker 1: Right? What is he? Why doesn't he? Is it just too much? Is it too much to say Christopher Thomas?
Speaker 2: Now it's probably that someone in Sag already had the name, and so he had to throw all of his names on there and then use an initial.
Speaker 1: That's usually what it is.
Speaker 2: It's like I didn't want to use all three of my names, but there was already some guy named Joe Schmoe in SAG, so I had to be you know, Joe R. Shmo or whatever.
Speaker 1: Got it? Okay, yeah, okay, so it was. It's it's intentional.
Speaker 2: But for again, I cannot speak for for for mister Howel, the third, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought maybe he's just a busy man. He doesn't have time to introduced all three of his names. So I mean, do you want to three names? Yeah?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I would want to introduce I would would. That's two. It takes too lott tedious, it's tedious.
Speaker 2: I call you a b right, you know what I mean. But efficiency I'm just trying to get to the point I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna change my name. I'm going to legally change my name to a B to a B. I ain't got time to say Andrea Barber. No, no, but time for that.
Speaker 2: These days, I don't have time for full names.
Speaker 1: You know that everybody gets a nickname or an initial. That's it, that's all we have.
Speaker 2: Name. Yeah, yeah, Well I usually prefer nicknames because I come up with stupid ones for my friends.
Speaker 1: So you come up with good ones. Did you recast anybody or no? This was just or you just don't you're not. I didn't because I was I didn't.
Speaker 2: I was thinking along the lines of like young people, and I was like, I don't know any young people.
Speaker 1: I don't know young people either.
Speaker 2: I was like, yeah, city. Basically, I just took the cast of Euphoria and I recast it. Oh, Mattie just gave me a great idea. I choose muppets to recast There we go?
Speaker 1: Which muppet would you?
Speaker 2: Okay, here we go? I would pick I would pick uh Gonzo as see Thomas.
Speaker 1: Hall okay perfect? Perfect, Because like, like.
Speaker 2: There's some kind of quirky about Gonzo where you're like, he's not like a total like he's not a he's not like a straight silly muppet. He's got a little comedy edge to him. So I think I feel like that I would go obviously ms Piggy Deborah Ann Pimple, easily obviously fashion.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm gonna say, uh hm hmm. Secret admirer.
Speaker 2: Secret admirer would probably be Burt of Burton Ernie because he kind of keeps.
Speaker 1: To himself, you know, Ernie out there whatever. Which role is this for Tony? For Tony?
Speaker 2: Yah? Yeah, I mean you know why muppets can be. Yeah, I don't know that's offended if I misgendered them.
Speaker 1: But anything, Yeah, I think I think Bert because he's got is he is he an emotional he's an emotional He's.
Speaker 2: Not emotional, but he I mean, first of all, we've never addressed his feelings for Ernie, so he might be a secret of my Secondly, he's sort of like a little more quiet, kind of keeps to himself, you know, like he is a little he's got he likes his birds. Like I feel like Tony's a little more like that. She's kind of a little more stand back shy, not the you know, she's more intro.
Speaker 1: And then show see.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna be controversial, and I'm gonna cast mister Hooper as the unhinged cop. Oh yeah, yeah. Just make it like an like an old man that owns the store. And yeah, yeah, so mister Hooper is now the unhinged cop because I've always wanted to see that side.
Speaker 1: Of him, you know, give him a challenge.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is and then uh, and then I think I think Maria is gonna be uh, she's gonna be oh no, wait what am I thinking? Oscar the Grouch? Oscar the Grouch for the cop.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure, he has that rage that yeah, yeah, just that I can see him carrying a revolver, you know, totally hid.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, perfect, good. Yeah, And I think, yeah, I would cast Maria then as one of the uh as one of the moms.
Speaker 1: I think maybe the teacher. I think the the teacher mom. Yeah, not d wall at Stone, but.
Speaker 2: I would cast you know, I'd cast uh the dad as Grover because Grover is kind of a little bit of like a dork and he's kind of like you know, I can see it.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, yep.
Speaker 2: I so that would be Grover and uh oh and and uh is it? Sam the Eagle would be the jock dude, the big blue bird. Oh oh oh okay, yeah, he would be the jockeyde because he's just kind of always angry.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also, what I'm literally finding out as I'm saying this is that.
Speaker 1: I know way too much about the Muppets. This is and I have. Yeah, you love the Muppets. I love eighties movies.
Speaker 2: This is this, this is eighties Muppet movies. Forget it. Muppets Take Manhattan, my god, genius, so hysterical. Yeah, so that's yeah, that's what I do.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like it. I'm here for it. You know, let I demand a remake right now of I.
Speaker 2: Think everything from the eighties should.
Speaker 1: Be rebaked with muppets. Can you imagine sixteen candles with you know, miss Piggy. Well, you wouldn't want to get the candles too close, you know? Oh oh yes, true, they're flammable. Yeah yeah. Oh well well, well well we can use a fake candle. Yeah yeah, well yeah, they've got those great fake looking ones. Now here we go.
Speaker 2: H well, I'm glad that we have once again gone completely off the rails and somehow wound back at Muppets.
Speaker 1: So I know it always comes back to Muppets, doesn't it. It really it does, And I'm okay with that. I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: Was I had a secret admirer? Just one random ques, Did you ever have a secret admirer?
Speaker 1: Not that I know of, no, a secret admirer. How would I know if it's a secret. I've never been written like a love letter. Yeah, that's what I like.
Speaker 2: If did you ever get like a card from someone? I was gonna say, I was gonna say, fan letters don't count those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think I've ever had one either, not that I can work. Just just a random question, I think, Well, you know, the letter writing is a lost art. This is another thing I loved about the movie was you can see hand.
Speaker 2: Hand writing, someone writing by hand, and I was like, look at that, oh.
Speaker 1: Ship, it's just oh. I could just smell the paper and the number two pencil and oh it was. It was glorious. I I miss it. I missed lettering today. If you were to remake it today, it would be like an anonymous text or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, it'd be like a burner Instagram account.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you know what I mean. Yeah, that would just kind of lurk totally.
Speaker 2: All right, So overall.
Speaker 1: We get to play critic. It can be either Roger or Ebert. I don't care.
Speaker 2: On a scale one to ten, what would you rate this movie?
Speaker 1: Ooh, I didn't think about this ahead of time on a scale of one to ten, simply because it's Laurie Laughlin. Okay, I'm gonna give it an eight. Okay, I'm gonna give it an eight because Laurie carries the movie. I mean, she is just I think in the hands of a less qualified actress or a less charismatic actress, this movie would have been even more of a flop it was, but it was fantastic, Like I enjoyed it because she conveyed so much emotion just with her eyes. Yeah, so good. So I'd give it an eight. Okay, Yeah, Now, how would you rate it, knowing you're not a huge fan of eighties, like.
Speaker 2: I'd give it. I'd give it between like a six point five and a seven.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, it's not a terrible movie.
Speaker 2: I've seen terrible movies, right, right, not more than like fifteen minutes. But yeah, this was not that. It was just not one of the ones where I'm like, oh this, I would watch it again, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: It was but it was cute, it was good, it was it was great. Okay, that's a solid rating. That's higher than I was explanding from you. What would you rate the full House episode? Oh? Do you remember what the fans rate of the full House episode? Is?
Speaker 2: I do?
Speaker 1: Eight point five? Yeah, it's stuck in my CROs. You're still bitter about it, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Very much? So, Okay, is the scale based on other Is it compared to other Full House episodes or compared to other.
Speaker 2: Just as a standalone episode, as a as an episode of Full House representing sit Calm, tropes and family and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: What would you rate that episode? I'm gonna go with nine. I'm gonna give it a nine. Not it's not. It's not a ten, right, but it deserves higher than an eight point five in my opinion, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm gonna You know what I hate to say, though, what I gave it an eight point five.
Speaker 1: You did see I did see see.
Speaker 2: And that I found myself giving it an eight point five, and I was like, maybe like an eight point seventy five, just to.
Speaker 1: Be a little it was a little n budge.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, but uh, you know, I I've I I feel like there's there are other really great nine and ten sitcom episodes or full House episodes rather, but that one was it was.
Speaker 1: Up there, It was up there. It was top rated, top rated episode. No, no, no, no, you willing to share what your top rated episode?
Speaker 2: You have a top rated Full House episode that I can think of, because I can't remember what episodes?
Speaker 1: So that's true. Yeah, and you don't know, you haven't seen the ones that are coming.
Speaker 2: Up as yeah right, I mean okay, yeah, I'm sure there's some out there, probably some of the earlier episodes, even because those were so sweet, sweet and in a perfectly sit commie you know.
Speaker 1: So yeah anyway, no, I I yeah, no, I do. I love I do my top my top episodes. And again this might change as we go through the series, but right now, my standard answer when people say what's your favorite episode of Full House, my standard answer is sixteen candles. DJ forgets Skimmy's right sixteen birthday. Selfishly, that's my favorite but it's also a great episode. You know, it's not just because it's about me, but it's a great episode. But its secret to myers is up there. It's like probably my top three for four most episodes, so but that could change. Who knows. You know, I didn't know how much I hate and how we watch.
Speaker 2: Out like three and a half more seasons to get through who knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, that was this was fun. This was fun we did.
Speaker 2: We got to expand our horizons.
Speaker 1: A little bit. Yeah, it's a little a little different, similar but different. Yeah, and if you.
Speaker 2: Want to watch it, go check it out on tub Uh yeah, secret admirer, it's very cute.
Speaker 1: Let us know what you thought of the movie. Yes, let us know if you preferred the movie over the over the full house episode. Oh yeah, yeah, what you liked better? What you liked better? And let us know if this is this is worth your time? Like did you like that one? Do you like?
Speaker 2: Like you ask them that, but.
Speaker 1: Like is it? Did you like this? Because we'd like to do this again with Skateboard Kid two or other types of movies. So yeah, if you want to love it.
Speaker 2: You know, if you if everyone was like shut up and get back to the full house stuff. But okay, okay, you hear you. You know, if you get all thought this was funny, then we'll bring it back for Skateboard Kid too.
Speaker 1: It's good to switch things up now and then, you know, keep it fresh, keep it exciting.
Speaker 2: And also I really want to see Skateboard Kid too. It's I mean, I've seen Skateboard Kid one. I had no idea.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting for years. It has nothing to do with Skateboard Kid one. It is a completely different movie, different cast, different storyline. The only thing so it's a different skateboard Kid. It's a different skateboard and it's a different skateboard Kid. But it's a magical skateboard. That is the only similarity between the two movies. Oh oh, it's a skateboard kid rides the skateboard in the air. It's a what it's like, Yeah, it's a flying skateboard. This is even better than I thought. Oh my god, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Okay, yep, Skateboard Kid two, we have to do it on the schedule. There is a kid flying through the air on a skateboard and you're in.
Speaker 1: It, and I kiss Andrew Keagan in it too. There's much.
Speaker 2: She Oh, yeah, this is happening. Everyone, this is happening.
Speaker 1: I don't we don't need to hear if you want it or not, it's happening.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I don't know where to sign it though, I don't think it's anywhere.
Speaker 2: Don't think it's on to your pretty little head. About that. Maddie will find magical skateboard kid and rope him down from the sky and we'll watch it.
Speaker 1: Okay, great, Matty says, Yes, it's happening. Yeah, it's happening. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you guys so much for listening to our incredibly well prepared and unhinged episode. We love you, guys. We really have so much fun doing this and we just can't thank you enough for for listening and letting us have the opportunity to be ridiculous friends every week on a podcast. So if you yes, if you also want to wear some of our ridiculous things, you can check out you can check out how rude merch dot com where we've got some fun shirts on there with ridiculous things that from our from our show, some of our fun little quotes, and a really cute full house. The world is small, the house is full one, So you check that out. How merch dot com should we.
Speaker 1: Put Kelly Breston on a shirt? I'm just saying, we got we want to Pickle Town, we want to do pickle we gotta do is happening right, right? But maybe Kelly Breston, that might be disrespectful to her memory, So maybe not. But it is really freaking It's a great it was a great joke. It was a great joke. But let's leave it as a joke that goes out into the ether.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, not one that you can wear on your body and then have people see it and be like, that's offensive.
Speaker 1: Kelly Breston across right, Kel's not, no, no bad idea, scratch it. It's okay, It's okay.
Speaker 2: But maybe if you put Kelly Breston on a magical skateboard. Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: We're so slap happy.
Speaker 2: Oh completely, this is great, Thank you guys. Yeah, howread meerch dot com. Check it out. Also, you can find us on Instagram at how Rude Podcast. You can also send us an email of all of the things that you you know liked questions skateboard kid too, I don't know, just send us whatever. Uh and our email is how rude tanner Rito's at gmail dot com. See it sounded like I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know, but I know you do you you? Uh?
Speaker 2: And yeah and we will We will see you guys next time on how read Tannato's we love you, Thanks for listening, and remember the world is small, but the house is full. I'd see. I want to say, I I know what Preston full of Brestons.
Speaker 1: It's a very full. No other way to end the show, I'm sure there is. We're not going to do it. Bye.