Speaker 1: Let me ask you this before we start. We're started, we already started. Do you have makeup on? Are you putting makeup on for you? No? I can't do this. I'm out. If that's what we're doing here, I got I advocate my throne.
Speaker 2: Here is why I have makeup on.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have to take Axel to a birthday party right after this.
Speaker 1: You have makeup on to go to a kid's birthday party?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: First of all, all right, first of all, seventy back off. I have tinted moisturizer on, some blush and mascara. I don't really qualify that as like makeup.
Speaker 1: That's literally what it is. That's literally what it is.
Speaker 4: More and more better, better, a little more better, more better.
Speaker 3: Okay, fine, it is makeup, But I'm saying like I didn't do like a full beat. I just put some mascara on and some lush on my cheeks, Like that's it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, more better a podcast. Stop pretending to have it all together and embrace the what?
Speaker 2: What are we embracing the something?
Speaker 3: We're just trying to be a little more better every day on. I have eye patches on because I'm trying to be more better. I don't know these parents. He's in kindergarten. I'm meeting a bunch of parents for the first time.
Speaker 1: I don't care. I don't know. I should be like shorts and a fishing T shirt.
Speaker 3: Not that I fish, but I do too. Once I don't I know the people and I don't care.
Speaker 1: But when that's so funny because I'm like the opposite. I'm like, when I know them, I try. When I don't know them, I don't care.
Speaker 3: Oh that is interesting. I'm literally the opposite. If I don't know them. The way to like make myself feel less nervous is just like put a cute top on, slap a little makeup on, and just like feel good about how I feel my best. But when it's people I know and I don't care, I'll just feel comfortable and whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean.
Speaker 1: You saw me at that dinner the other night. We went to dinner the other night, and I was wearing.
Speaker 2: You looked so cute.
Speaker 3: I dressed up because I was like, Stephanie always looks really really cute at our dinners, So I was like, what what can And then you looked so cozy, and I was like, god, damn it. I want to wear a sweater.
Speaker 1: I was in my sweater with the horses with the pixelated horses on it.
Speaker 2: Guys, uh West, what have you done lately?
Speaker 1: That's more better?
Speaker 2: Great you are making but make it.
Speaker 1: I done that, it's more better. Oh wait, I have to show you this before we start. Okay, Oh my god, is Amy Santiago? Is this sticker from? This? Is this sticker nine starter sticker pack? And wait, I have to see this other thing. Hold on, it's a tiny conflict a notebook. Yeah, it's winder. And then this is the best. Why is it in black and white? Though?
Speaker 2: Can you color it? Wait? What is that?
Speaker 1: It's the it's the You're an Amazing Detective slash Genius Award.
Speaker 2: Oh it is just a black eye.
Speaker 1: It's like you can see there's the seal. There's the Brooklyn nine nine seal on it, and it's got like little tabs up here.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: I got this from someone on the internet at b l U b i U b l U at blub e u blue, and I believe they gave it to me at like a comic con or something. They were like, here, I me this for you, and I was like that, so I finally opened it, and I thought that you would want to see those and I'll save these. Well, this one's mine because I'm I'm the winner of the Amazing Detective slash Genius. But you can have.
Speaker 2: These, I mean, technically amy one more than row.
Speaker 1: No, that's enough, all right, that's enough, more better. What are we talking about this week?
Speaker 2: We're talking about pets.
Speaker 1: Yay, oh, something that we both love to talk about.
Speaker 2: Want to get more better at, want to get more better at.
Speaker 3: We both got our first dogs at the same time in adulthood, right, you didn't have a dog before Banjo? No, Yeah, my first pet was a turtle that ran away as a kid, but I mean like as an adult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as an adult. My first pet was my dog, Banjo, who I got in my thirties when we were already on Brooklyn nine nine and you had and I had Bella.
Speaker 3: She was my first pet kind of period we had like, yeah, we had like fish and stuff growing up, and I got her when I was like twenty two.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have to say the story because it was on the tip of my tongue to be like fish don't count, but they do. Obviously we've all seen finding Nemo my college sweet Maids. So we had our own rooms, but we shared a bathroom and she will remain nameless. But we at the same time bought beta fish to having our rooms, right, uh huh, girlfriend, I'm sorry to throw her under the bus, but like she basically like, let the water evaporate in that fish's tank, like god. And that was I think the moment that I was like, oh, this is a really irresponsible person. I don't want to be around this human being like in.
Speaker 2: Life, you know what I mean, I like a red flag.
Speaker 1: Yes, how people treat animals as a direct correlation to how they are as human beings. And that's why Andy Sandberg is the worst because he hates dogs. You heard it here, not first he hates dogs.
Speaker 3: He yes, we would send him pictures of our dogs all the time. You're like, look, tell me how cute you think my dog?
Speaker 1: Doesn't care?
Speaker 2: But he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: He also would never like harm an animal or a small thing.
Speaker 2: Oh god, no, no, no, no, isn't that.
Speaker 3: I feel like there was even a Christmas where like he was hanging out with a dog that he liked and he sent us pictures because he was like, oh my god, I'm hanging out with this dog.
Speaker 1: I found one. I found one that I like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I found one. Yeah, so I lay cold hearted.
Speaker 1: No he's not. Probably he's not going to listen to this. It's fun you can talk about him. You know. I had a cat when I was in middle school who tragically was hit by a car. And he was like he was this little orange you know orange cats. They make fun of orange cats. How they're like absolutely bonds.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah are they?
Speaker 1: He was off the wall bananas. He was an indoor outdoor cat because for me my parents, my parents didn't have animals that stayed inside the house, like my dad when he was growing up in Barangia, Like they had a dog that was like inside you know, yes, and like that was just a deal guy, like's ud. They eat, you know, breakfast and dinner and then that's it. Maybe they eat table scraps whatever. My mom fucking hated cats, like hated them. So when I came home, mom had cats too. I don't know what it is, like, what is it is it? I don't know what is it? Like she's just scared of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom thinks they're dirty because they don't take baths technically, and they clean themselves.
Speaker 2: That's my mom's reasoning.
Speaker 1: That's so funny. She's like, that's a filthy animal.
Speaker 3: She's like, that's a filthy animal, and I don't want to be anywhere near it.
Speaker 1: Wait, speaking of how often did you give do you give your dog? About?
Speaker 2: Ye? Once a week? Dang, But David try good about it.
Speaker 1: I really try.
Speaker 2: Well, we have a big dog too.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's kind of like sometimes.
Speaker 3: In winter will go a little longer because I don't know why. She it's kind of like as soon as we smell the stink, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: The dogs stink.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you give them a bath, they smell really good like soap for a couple of days. Then they smell just like nothing or normal, and then there's like that little bit of like dander stink, like it starts to come. As soon as we smell the stink. She gets a bath. See, but that happens a little bit. It takes a little longer, I think in winter for the stink to come. So maybe it's like every ten.
Speaker 2: Days or something.
Speaker 1: In winter, Gouda's breath is so bad that like that's all you can smell because he's a dogs in Chihuahua and.
Speaker 2: Like they're just yeah little just in their breath.
Speaker 1: Little dogs in their breath. Man, it is yeah, funky, fun and dunk like so that's why you can really smile. But like ros won't really. She has like a tentative relationship with Gudha, but a lot of times is like trying to like get up in her face and stuff. She's like, ew, no, good to your breath. Like, I think roz is gonna have a lot of memories of being like, oh, the dogs are gross.
Speaker 3: My bad, I should and this is so really little though, No, you could like she'll have a dog maybe when.
Speaker 2: She's older, and it'll.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe, although like a child and a dog at the same time is a lot.
Speaker 2: It is a lot of things.
Speaker 1: I think That's why I asked you, like how often do you give Rosie her bath, because like we don't do that, Like, I mean, he probably gets a bath every two weeks. Maybe you know. Brad will straight up be like, oh, just like put him in the pool. I'm like, I don't think that's the same.
Speaker 2: It's not the same. No, it's works for kids, but not for them.
Speaker 1: That's not.
Speaker 2: Then they just my like wet dirty dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wet dirty dog. Also he doesn't like to swim. I don't know. Some chihuahua's like, don't. Chihuas are lappy, little lap dogs. I'm like, I know, hate on chihuahuas. But they're very, very loyal. They'll pick like one or two people that they're obsessed with. Docsins are the same. They'll pick like one or two people, and they're uber, uber protective over those people. And I just think that that's so sweet. You know. It's like Guda and Banjo, my first dog. He was, Oh my god, Banjo was like Banjo was my familiar. Like he was not a real like dog. He was like a different alien species. He looked like Steve BUCHEMI he did, yeah, And he was an old old man when I adopted him. He was like twelve already, and he would sit in my lap in the makeup trailer. He didn't have a problem with anybody. Remember you could. I could put him in a sort of travel bag and like go out to dinner with him, put him under the table and nobody would notice him because he wouldn't make a friggin sound. He was the best, and I think he spoiled me a little also because he was so well behaved when I was around that he just like I just didn't know that you had to train up a dog, like I didn't know. I didn't know. And then Guda came and I was like, oh that you're not the same. Oh what's happening? Yeah, everybody, what do I do? You know? And now it's kind of too wet. Do you think it's ever too late to train a dog? No?
Speaker 3: I trained Bella a little late because I got Bella I was young.
Speaker 2: She was my first dog. I got her as a puppy.
Speaker 3: She was so wild and I like basic things, but like oh my, but also that dog was so smart, like how you're talking about Banjo like Bella was. You know, some people think that you have like a soul pet, like one or two lifetime like Bella definitely was for me.
Speaker 2: She was so smart.
Speaker 3: Potty training her was hard because like she knew what to do. She'd wait till you turned around, and she'd like poop in a room that you never go into, and then like you find it and I'd be like, I've just freaking walked you, Like it felt like a trying to outsmart a puppy in terms of like potty training, not always like catching her when she had to go, and I'd be like.
Speaker 2: Dog is messing with my mind, Like what is happening?
Speaker 1: But I got her for New York, right, I had her in New York and it wasn't I really didn't start training her till I mean till she was out of puppy miss, Like she was already like two or three.
Speaker 2: And I got really into Caesar Milan and I wrote his book if I watched his show.
Speaker 1: Caesar Milan.
Speaker 3: But that shit worked, and then I got really intense about training her because she used to like she was a big dog and she would like jump on people when they came over, and like she like knocked down this one guy who was like over six feet tall, and like he broke a tooth and I was like, oh my god. I was like and she didn't meet She was just like joyful, but like didn't know that she was like one hundred and twenty pounds yeah, and she could hurt someone.
Speaker 2: And then she like pulled on the leash and like she was really strong.
Speaker 3: So she might have even been older because there were a couple my mom got hurt too.
Speaker 2: Once walking her Wow because she saw.
Speaker 1: She pulled her so hard or something.
Speaker 3: She pulled her so hard because she saw a squirrel and she pulled her so hard, and my mom had like like it was it was bad. We felt really bad. And then my mom and my parents were not dog people ever. Yeah, mine were like I wanted a dog growing up.
Speaker 2: I would beg them, beg them, beg them.
Speaker 3: Neighbors on both sides of my parents' house and you know there's like a chain link fence between the yards. They both had dogs. One was yappy, one was a sweet Great Dane that he used to sit next to the fence and he would come over to the fence and like lay down and let me pet him through the fence and lick my fingers and he was and I would sit there and talk to him and he was so I think that's why maybe I love big dogs too, like my first like connective experience with the dog. And but they never let us get dogs, and so they when we got Bella, they were.
Speaker 2: Like, oh, why are you getting dog? Da cut to.
Speaker 3: My dad's like giving her food off the table. They like love her so much. She's so smart, so she like listens to my mom's rules in the house, Like she gets on our couch, she won't get on my mom's couch. Yeah, and my mom is like so impressed with this, but she does make my mom fall. My mom gets hurt, like like black eye hurt.
Speaker 1: Oh my an, I know, And oh my god.
Speaker 3: After my mom made us feel real bad about it, then she and this is so my mom. Then she told after we were like feeling horrible and like apologizing profusely. But then she told us that when she got back to the house and she was like upset and like she grabbed some like frozen peace and she sat in the chair and with the frozen peas in her eye, and she was like, oh my god, I can't believe this just happened.
Speaker 2: And she said Bella came over and put her head on her lap, and she goes, that dog did not move until I was ready to get up from the chair.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she was.
Speaker 3: That dog just sat there with her big head in my lap, looking up at me like I'm so sorry, and she just stayed there.
Speaker 5: They're so sweet, so sweet.
Speaker 1: They're so they can be so sweet.
Speaker 2: They can be so.
Speaker 1: Sweet animals if you really give them a lot of love. Obviously they're going to make mistakes, like they're not. They're like kids in that way, like they have to You have to train up a dog, You have to train up a kid.
Speaker 2: Like got a train up but yeah, you got train up a kid.
Speaker 1: You got training dogs, you really do. You can't train cats that much. Although my friend Katie owns she's been a cat owner for a really long time and like has had multiple cats, and she can train them. She's trained them to like do tricks and stuff like that. Her cats really listen to her. But like it can be harder.
Speaker 3: Really hoping you're going to say, to pee in the toilet, because I think that's the only way I could have a cat.
Speaker 2: I had one of those cats that peede in the toilet.
Speaker 1: I was able to get my cat when I was in junior high. I was able to get him to pee in the toilet a couple of times. Like I was really because I got I had him. I think I got him over summer break and so I had a lot of time and I was like, I'm gonna I'm going to be one of those people that has a cat that piece in toilet, And for a little while he did, but then we would have to leave the toilet seat down because my mom was really like about that, like leave it down, and you can't do that. You have to leave it up for them because you have to leave I don't have opposable thumbs. They got they might were right.
Speaker 3: I mean we can't ask that much of them, Like we're already in the toilet, we ask them to like take care of the seat, put it up and down, Like that's just too much.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like I feel like for me. Somebody asked me this yesterday. Actually they were like, what was who was the person that helped you learn how to become a mother? And I was like that was a weird answer. But my dog, like my dog, Yeah, one, Banjo was the one, like, especially when he was sick at the end, when he was dying, it was like, oh, oh, oh, you really are good at taking care of something that completely and totally depends on you, Like you can be responsible for that in your life. You've never had that before. Here it is, it's in your hands and you're doing it. You're like capable of it. Yeah. My dad also loved Banjo. Loved Banjo loved like was confused as to why I got an old dog because he was like, it's gonna be expensive, it's gonna get sick, whatever. And then you know, I'd bring Band home for all of the holidays that I could, and my Dad would like sit there with Banjo in his arms, like you know, with his coffee up. Yeah, Like we would all sit around, be talking after dinner and stuff, and my dad would have his coffee and like be sitting there with Banjo in his arms. Band would just be falling asleep in my dad's arms. Which is also when my dad was like devastated when Gooda didn't like him, Like he was so devastated, he would like walk across the room and God would just be like mad, like crazy.
Speaker 2: Now who to keep?
Speaker 1: Would like probably would be fine, Like he loves my mom because she walks him a lot, but.
Speaker 2: He hated my dad.
Speaker 1: Hated my dad.
Speaker 2: Oh good, I know, sad.
Speaker 3: I keep warning my my parents haven't met our new dog Rosie yet. And they loved you know, Bella, like Bello left behind like such a big legacy, like all the people in our lives like loved Fellas so much because she just had so much personality and like I said she was really smart our dog. Now Rosie is so sweet, not so smart.
Speaker 1: She is a lovable, adorable baby. She's a baby still though, right isn't she like two or three?
Speaker 2: She's she's gonna be three in January. She's like a baby.
Speaker 1: She's a baby. She's not street smart like she. I mean, I know, Puppy's not in New York City, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like she's baby boddled.
Speaker 1: She's got like a yard, you know what I mean. Yeah, I know, but homegirl still chases her tail like home girls. I know. Guda's not so smart either. Sometimes I'm like, oh, buddy kind of looks at you, yeah, and there's like like the look is different, Whereas like I felt like Bella would look at me and like really be trying to communicate that yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah totally. And Rosie's just like there's no that's her theme song, like yeah, Kuda we used to sing. We don't sing it anymore because we don't want Ross to pick it up. But like Guda would come and sit like right by you, like when you were eating. He'd just be like right up in your ship. So I started saying, Guda, get out, of here. Nobody wants here. Gouda, get out of here. Nobody wants you here. But I can to stop because like I don't, ros will start singing that. It's very catchy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's very catchy.
Speaker 1: It's very catchy.
Speaker 2: She swaps out the name at school.
Speaker 1: Oh no, my god, ship man. Yeah, it'd be like that with kids, Like it'd be like that with kids.
Speaker 2: That's what.
Speaker 1: You gotta watch your mouth.
Speaker 2: You gotta watch your mouth.
Speaker 1: I've I like when you know, Bella and band died right around the same time, didn't they like maybe six months apart or something. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was very close. Yeah, yeah, I think in the same year.
Speaker 3: That was hard, and that was hard. That's hard, morning a pet. Yeah, let's talk about getting better at that because.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I mean, there is no way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, grief is just grief.
Speaker 3: But I we were actually out of town when Bella passed away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What we think happened was like she had she there was a tumor that we kind of knew about, but the doctor was like, and we were going to take it out. It was like Thanksgiving or something. We're planning to take it out right after the holidays, and the doctor was like, I don't think it's like an emergency, but we should take it out.
Speaker 2: Sooner than later. It was kind of like the general diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Then I think the tumor exploded because it was like very like went from okay to really not okay within hours.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: And our friend was watching her and her friend was very close to her, and it was just horrible. So it was like on top of the morning.
Speaker 3: Of my pet, even though I knew she was nine, and like I knew it was going to be happening at some point in that year, just because like mastiffs, it's like ten years, it's like such a timestamp.
Speaker 2: It's like ninety.
Speaker 3: Oh, Like isn't there an like if you meet as past the age of ten, it's like a miracle. Yeah, David's families had a lot of Mastiffs. They've all died at like nine or ten, and so it just still was so shocking.
Speaker 2: And then I think the thing that was like.
Speaker 3: The hardest was that it wasn't there, you know, and like that was almost as painful, if not more painful.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I can feel like emotional right now just talking about it.
Speaker 1: Still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I just wasn't there that I just really really wanted to be there.
Speaker 2: In that moment with her, and that was a hard thing to get over. It was hard.
Speaker 1: That's really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really hard.
Speaker 3: It's like it's just and it's like that saying like you're they're such a short lip in your life, but you're their whole life, Like yeah, it's it's so true, and it's so.
Speaker 2: And then you have to get used to not having them.
Speaker 3: And I used to like hear phantom like her pause, like what it sounded like when she'd walk down the hall and her paws.
Speaker 2: Would hit the wood floor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, heard like phantom of that, like for many months. Yeah, but we we got her ashes and we spread them in her I don't you know if I should say it, because it's secondly against living.
Speaker 1: You spread them, that's enough, that's enough.
Speaker 2: You can always spread them somewhere. So yeah, yes, it's a public land place.
Speaker 1: He went into a pet co and just sprinkle them in the corners.
Speaker 3: And then we stay and then we got like there was this little vial that we have some of them too, that's like hanging on a cross like in our hallway. Yea, and yeah, and We have a beautiful picture too of when we did her ashes that my friend Dave Johnson, who's a great ghetographer, took of us like a black and white photo.
Speaker 2: And so we have that. Yeah, And it's funny my kids talk about her too, because we have really many Bellows stories.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I used to say too that when Enzo was born, Enzo was not scared of any dogs. When he was a little toddler, he would go up to the biggest dog in the park and you know, and I taught and I would always you know, you got to be like safe, you got to like pass the owners and teach your kids how to like approach a dog. And I did, which he picked up very quickly. And people used to always be like, oh, do you have a dog, And they'd be like no, and they'd be like, wow, he's like so comfortable around our big dog, like we just assumed you had a dog. And so I used to say, like, I bet Ella, this visits him and his dreams or something, that's why he's always Yeah, And now he and Rosy are like just so cute together. But she treats him like another puppy in the house.
Speaker 1: That's really sweet.
Speaker 2: How was it for you when it's hard.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean my experience was so different than yours, you know, like yours was so abrupt. I mean, yes, you knew, like you said, you knew like okay, there's a you know, not an expiration date, but like yeah, traditionally, like I.
Speaker 2: Knew the time was coming at some point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some breeds just don't live as long as others. And that's something I think that you got to think about when you're becoming a dog owner, right like this, that's something that like I definitely, I definitely knew that. That was part of why I wanted to adopt Banjo, because it felt like somebody didn't realize how much work it was going to be with him, you know, and it was like, oh, I don't want to have to pay for this, so I'm going to dump them at a shelter, which, like listen, trying not to judge, because sometimes you just don't have enough money to take care of your animal, you know, and that's a horrible day. Or yeah, that is a really horrible position to be in, and I don't judge anyone for that. But what I think I do think about is like when I think when I thought about adopting a dog. I was like, well, I could get a puppy, and then I could then I could like have you know, all this time with this puppy and I'd get, you know, his whole life with me. And then I was also like, well, dang, like there's this old dog at the shelter that nobody wants that you know, I don't take him, Like look at him. He's just like here in this shelter, like he's not built to be in this shelter, and like I have enough money, like I have a good job. That that was when we were on Brooklyn. So I was like, yeah, I could take him home and like if something's wrong with him, I could probably help him have a pretty good life. And like I did, you know, like.
Speaker 2: I you so did.
Speaker 3: I remember helped him out of my just thinking like, oh my god, what a generous and beautiful thing to do.
Speaker 1: He was so crookedy, remember his crooked ass front legs and like his eyes that were like like one in each direction, and he was just so sweet and not you know, like he can jump on my bed. So like when Brad and I met, I still had I think I didn't have a bed frame yet because I was like, I'm cool with my mattress on the ground because like then Bang can get in the bed. And Brad and I met and he was like, so, how long have you been in this apartment? You know, Like I think that was actually when I had moved and he was like, haven't you been here for a while? And I was like yeah, but yeah. When when Bantots sick, it was like it was hard because then you also have to make all these decisions. Like that's something that I think I got better more better at when he was sick, was like, what are the decisions that I have to make here?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Am I making some of these decisions just because I want to spend more time with them? Because I think that happens too. Like I think people like keep their pets and animals alive past the time where maybe they should let them go because they love them so much. And dogs and cats especially, but I think a lot of different kinds of animals don't say when they're in pain. They don't tell you as all the time. You know, cats are really good at hiding pain. Dogs are pretty chill about, like you know, knuckling down and dealing with it. Until it's like impossible to deal with anymore, you know. I remember Vanja. I was like totally fine, totally fine, totally fine, and then stopped being able to walk and I was like, what the hell, Like what's wrong with him? Why isn't he coming? Like and I had to like pull him home and then I was like I better just carry him. And that was when we found out like, oh, he's really sick. He's dying, like his kidneys are failing. And I was like, wow, what do you mean it's kidneys are failing. What does that mean? And they were like, well, that means he has a limited amount of time and you know, without fluids every day he will like quickly go And I was like, okay, so how do I learn how to do fluids every day? I was, right, sir, right up giving him fluids every day.
Speaker 2: It was crazy.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, but it was also like so fun. It was, you know, he was the most fun at the end, Like I took him to do you know who Jess? I think her last name is Rona. That la dob Grumer. That was like one of the first ones that was like dying hair and stuff. Oh no, I don't think she had this Instagram and now subsequently has a TikTok. She grooms like people's dogs and makes them adorable and super cute, and for a while she was like doing I think she still does it, like dying their fur, like just their tails are like the tips of their ears with like doggie hair dye. And I think band went to her twice because it was very hard to get in. It was very exclusive. But I knew somebody very exclusive, and he went and he got his little tail dyed blue, and he looked so handsome.
Speaker 2: You could tell he was like really proud for do you remember that?
Speaker 1: He was like so proud of himself.
Speaker 2: He had a little extra pep and he had a little swash.
Speaker 1: I was like baby boo. But that was the first and last time that. I mean, I did spend quite a bit of money on his little carrying case because I always had it with me, and that was, Yeah, I went fancy on that. But I'm also not one of those people. It's like, you know, I don't have like outfits if you are, Yeah, I'm not. I'm not. Although do you remember do you remember Rachel? Do you remember Rachel on Wardrobe in on Brooklyn? Yes, so she took her dog to a pet psychic and the psychic told her. The psychic told her that her dog really liked to dress up, and her dog was really sad that she didn't get little outfits every day. So Rachel was like, okay, so she started buying her outfits and the dog, she said, was like it was like night and day, like the dog would like tea out of the house and her little outfits and stuff like didn't want to wear the same outfit two days in a row. Was like very all about her little outfit. What isn't that cute?
Speaker 2: That is cute? It's really pet psychic.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think. I don't I I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I like Rosie will be like calling me dumb.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I feel like I feel like pets are a really vulnerable place. I mean, like we both talked about our animals and like we're still emotional about them, you know, pets are so there's such a vulnerable place for us as human beings that like I just feel like there's like I would have to get like a super super good wreck because I feel like that's a territory where there's like a lot of like scammers, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, like.
Speaker 1: Of course I want my dog to have the best and like be happy and stuff. I don't want to like I don't want to trust a stranger to be like do you blah blah blah, you know what I mean, like scan scan and be like, yeah, you're gonna need to come back here next week because I don't know how he's going to be doing. You know what I mean, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know how he's Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's I think that's my my fear as well. What do you feel like you could do more better with your pet?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Girl? Walk him? But oh my god. Yeah, here is the problem. And this is where like maybe I could get him some training or something. This motherbucker loves to mark. He he lives, tomorrow, he lives.
Speaker 2: He marks like every five steps on a walk.
Speaker 1: It's like every ten steps he stops. And so like, I've come to this like place in my soul where I'm just like, just let him sniff, just let him walk, like, just take it at his pace. He wants, this is what he wants to do. The problem with that is, though we get to the end of the block and have to turn him back around because now it's already by the time we get home already, that's twenty five minutes. Yeah, that's a twenty five minute yeah yeah. So then I feel bad because like he's not getting like the enrichment of a new experience in new neighborhood and stuff and so but also is little.
Speaker 3: Though, what happens if you just try to pull him along, like he really fights, you let him mark like three times, and then you just like you you just keep walking and you're like, Nope, this is what we're doing. I mean I try, I try, but like the problem is like he is so little, and now he's getting old, like he's starting to get the white around his eyebrows on the white around his muzzle.
Speaker 1: So like, I know, I just feel bad. I feel bad when I pull him because I'm like, oh God, because Banjo had arthritis, like that was part of why he was so slow. And I think about Goudin, I'm like, you know, I don't want to inadvertently like pull him and hurt him. So then I just end up being the person that, like you know, when people walk by, they're like, oh, who's walking? Who han, I'm like, that's such an original joke. It's not the time I've heard it. Whatever, I mean that would be better, or like training maybe would be something that I could get more better. I will say something that I negotiated with Brad, my husband. Uh, you know, he's my husband. I'm just saying, if this is your first time listening, my husband's name is Brad, I will say we have negotiated, like which of us is giving walks on what days? So now we know, like these are my days and I don't have to ask anybody like did he get a walk? Like I know, and I trust that's your day he's getting those. Yeah, So like that that is nice because like I was starting to feel like a nag because I'd be like, did anybody walk? Guda? Are you gonna walk? Guda? Did he get a walk today? You know? And like I don't like, right, I don't want to be in that. I don't want to I don't like that version of me.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't like those either. Yeah, you know, Yeah, that's smart. That's smart to like divvy up days like this. Kay, I'm not going to ask, I'm just gonna assume that you did it, or like yeah, got him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really smart. I like that.
Speaker 3: I need to walk Rosie more. I The thing with Rosie is when we got her a little spontaneously, because my husband can be a little spontaneous, which is great and sometimes not great, like getting a dog. Like literally walked into the room and he was like, there's this puppy at this home shelter. Uh, she should be gossive. She yeah, like, but we have to go see her tomorrow before eleven am. My god, at eleven am, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, what, oh, my god, we haven't even talked about we like maybe about two getting a dog. I was like, are you fucking kidding me? And then he was like, no, no, no, it's gonna be great.
Speaker 3: And I was like, okay, I said, I will only go see the dog. I don't have the mental axel was still a baby.
Speaker 1: I don't have the mental capacity.
Speaker 3: To figure out the logistics of taking care of another living thing. So you're gonna have to figure out the food, the vet, the training. We're paying for training this time. I'm not going to train the dog, and I don't trust you to train it enough, so we're gonna pay for training this time. Because we've got two small kids. We got a little baby toddler in this house.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I was like, and you have.
Speaker 3: To figure out where the dog goes and go out of town because we fucking go out of town a lot.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 3: I was like, if you can figure all those things out, I will go see the dog.
Speaker 2: And he did. Enter his credit, he did, he did.
Speaker 3: So David is always been of assigned Rosy care since we got her. He's like the but he's like the main. Yeah, and she like listens to him the most.
Speaker 2: Of course, she's like a little bitch with me sometimes because he's like Balfa, right, like that's how she sees him.
Speaker 3: Sure, but when I walk, when I'm better about walking her, I don't know.
Speaker 1: She's just like she's like grateful or something like she follows me around more, and she does listen to me a little bit more, and like you know, and she's just like kind of always like buy me a bit more.
Speaker 2: And I'm like oh, and then I feel bad and I was like, I'm like, oh, do you like our walks together more?
Speaker 5: Shit?
Speaker 3: Also, as we get older and like, as I don't live in New York City anymore, and don't you know and I live in a flat neighborhood. I feel like I used to walk Bella a lot because we lived in a hilly neighborhood.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, something like more fun about it. But uh, it's good for me too that like afternoon walk, I'm getting like a walk in every day. And it's so there's like study after study after study that says how good it is for you, especially women to walk and like get your steps in whatever. Also just like the habit of going for a walk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know, and that was one thing I was happy that I was doing more when we initially got her. I was like, oh, yeah, finally have like a reason to like reason a little walk every day. But then I get freaking lazy about it and I don't do it more better.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's hard to remember, you know, when you said earlier, like oh, you're they're just part of our world and where their whole world, right, Like it's hard it's hard to remember that. And it's because it's really easy. Like for granted, they're just like they're you know, they're like they're part of the background of your life, you know, and so like that, I think, to me, that's probably, Like my takeaway today is that, like I have to remind myself and and like when I look at him, just go like right, like this is also your first Somebody said this on on TikTok. Guys, I did put TikTok back on my iPad. Okay, oh it's not my iPad. It's not on my phone not but on TikTok on the Tiki talkies it was like on the Tiki talk this is also their first time here, like their first time alive, you know. And I was like, oh dang, and I haven't thinking. Sometimes when I look at Gooda, I'm like, right, this is your first time here, so like I want to make it nice for you too, And maybe sometimes I roll my eyes because I know I'm going to take you on a walk and it's going to be the same thing again for me, right, But what it is for him is like this all new smells today, there's all new shit, Like if there wasn't, he wouldn't be marking and sniffing for ten minutes to the end of the block. You know, this is exciting for him. And so like that to me is my takeaway. I guess today is like the reminder that, like he's not just part of the background of my life. Like he deserves to be deserves to be walked on the days that I'm assigned to walk him, that I assigned myself to walk him. You know, he deserves to have fun and not have me pull him along. And just like sniff somebody's poo, do I wipe his face and butt and feet every time he comes back in my house. Absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, yes, can we make a PSA right now?
Speaker 3: Because as you have to wipe our dogs eat, you have to, Yeah, you have to.
Speaker 2: Every time she poops, we wipe her.
Speaker 3: Butt, and you know, there's fucking shit. I'm not on the wipe when I wipe her. So if you're not wiping your dogs, but there's little pieces of ship all over your eyes.
Speaker 1: If you learned anything today from this episode of the pod, it's please be more better at wiping your dogs.
Speaker 2: But okay, just have a little little bag away just.
Speaker 1: By the door. What's the problem. That's so easy? Another one swipe the butt takes two seconds, two seconds, throw away, wash your hands, done, done, You did it.
Speaker 2: Otherwise, if you don't do that, there's ship all over your house.
Speaker 1: In your house. There is your house.
Speaker 2: Every time they sit down.
Speaker 6: Couch on your couch, babe's Yeah.
Speaker 2: That's our p s A.
Speaker 1: Do you feel a little more better? Do you feel like you're better? I actually love that we ended on that because we actually are very responsible dive owners that we're doing that.
Speaker 3: I do feel a little more better, and I do. I feel like I'm gonna this week, I'm going to try to like walk her more more, just like give her more attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a little bit.
Speaker 2: I feel like she gets she gets ignored a little bit.
Speaker 1: Doctors too. It's hard. It's hard when you're it's hard.
Speaker 2: It's hard to dog butt and kids and yeah, yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Doing Okay, we're doing We're doing good.
Speaker 2: We're doing our best. We're doing our best.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see you guys next week where we're definitely not probably going to talk about dog poop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where we might buye Okay, more, more, more and more better.
Speaker 1: Do you have something you'd like to be more better at that you want us to talk about in a future episode.
Speaker 3: Can you relate to our struggles or have you tried one of our tips and tricks?
Speaker 1: Shoot us your thoughts and ideas at More Better pod at gmail dot com and include a voice note if you want to be featured on the pod. Oh More Better with Stephanie Melissa is a production from w u V Sound and iHeartMedia's my Kuntura podcast network, hosted by me, Stephanie Beatriz, and Melissa Fumero. More Better is produced by ISIS Madrid and Sophie Spencer Zebos.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Stephanie Beatrice, myself, Melissa Fumero, along with Wilmar Valderrama and Leo Klem at w V Sound and ISIS Madrid. This episode was edited by ISIS Madrid and engineered by Sean Tracy and features original music by Madison Davenport and Hello Boy. Our cover art is by vincent Remy's and photography by David Avalos. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever.
Speaker 2: You listen to your favorite shows. See you next week, suck us Bye,