Speaker 1: Eric Lower.
Speaker 2: I mean, you could argue he's been one of the Dodgers' most important players in the first half because his ability to go out there every sixth day allow them to keep that six man rotation. That service will no longer be needed when Snell comes back.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, what's up?
Speaker 4: And welcome to a brand new live episode of Dodgers' Territory. The Gang is back together again. Alana Rizzo, Katie Wu Clint Pics. We are site that you guys are here as well. Get your comments there in the chat. We want to hear from you. Certainly, certainly, certainly. All right, guys, it is time for Monday over reactions if you will on this Monday, July twenty seventh.
Speaker 3: Katie, you were there. You're on the road. You've been on the road.
Speaker 4: I feel like forever. Two of three in New York City. That is a good thing. The biggest thing, six and three on the road trip. You'll take that any day of the season. What's the biggest takeaway that you had being in Philly, the New York, then Washington, then Philly, the New York then New York and then Washington and Philly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know where I am right now. I don't know what day it is.
Speaker 2: It's fine, we're here, we're all back together. I don't have any overreactions. Shocker, I know, because a six and three road trip on the East Coast where you win all three series. They faced some really good pitching, especially against the Yankees and the Phillies status quo. I'm sure we can nitpick the bullpen. I'm sure we will. I've looked at the rundown of the show. I know that's coming, and I understand that because the bullpen is always what we fixate on the most as media and as fans, because that's when the game is decided. When the bullpen is bad, that usually ends in losses, and that's what fans usually fixate on. So bullpen aside, Dodgers are playing Dodger baseball. They still the best record in baseball. They're getting all their guys back this week. Life is good in Dodger Land.
Speaker 1: But we can overreact anyway. Why not? We will.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be overreacting because we can nitpick this team today because what else are we going to talk about when they're so good? All of the little tiny things that don't really matter. But to your point. We're gonna get into the bullpen in just a second. But Clint, I want you to once again glaze as the kids say, where would this team be without Maxwell Muncie.
Speaker 5: Yah, Maxwell, Steven Munsei. You know, like you mentioned, they go six and three on this road trip. He played a big part in several of those dubs. As the kids say, he's been great. Three massive homers on the road. He eight runs batted in, you know, didn't get all of the hits in the world. Still gets on base, still has a slug, still has an ops around like nine to fifty.
Speaker 6: Still an All Star.
Speaker 5: Hey, now you're an All Star, Max Munsey, but also playing really good defense for the greater part, obviously a big factor in that game ending double play in Philly with you know, the whole real Muto forgetting how to baseball and all that kind of stuff. But Munsey is one of those guys, Alana, We've talked a lot about him over the last couple of years. Munsey is just one of those guys so underrated around baseball, so important for myriad reasons on this team. But you're talking about a guy who gets a job done at the plate. On defense, and then in the clubhouse, nobody better than.
Speaker 4: Max, no doubt about it. And the thing is congratulations.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean not many.
Speaker 4: If you're thinking about the amount of home runs by a third baseman in Dodger's lore, I mean, he just passed Ron Say in terms of that.
Speaker 3: In terms of home runs.
Speaker 4: The amount of home runs that he has and a Dodger uniform overall is impressive. When he's like two twenty nine or something like that. It's really cool to see Max Munsey develop into the player that he has become. And I'm not just talking about this year, right, I'm talking about since he has become a Los Angeles Dodger. And this is a story we've talked about at nauseum in terms of the cast off that he was with the Oakland Athletics that were Oakland at the time, how he didn't have a job, how he was sitting on the couch, how the Dodgers saw something in him. Hey, let's come to spring training. See what you can do on a team that already has a lot of firepower. But what he has turned into has been really impressive. Even when Max isn't hitting home runs, which he does a lot of, he gets on base, right, he has his his on base percentage is always good. He makes the opposing pitcher, work forces the opposition to throw a lot of pitches. He lengthens the lineup. I mean, these are all the things we've talked about at length. But what also has really impressed me about Max Munsey and Joe and Oral we're talking about it on the broadcast recently, he has turned himself into a very good defensive third baseman, right, I mean, he is turning himself into what some would say is in the conversation of a gold glove third baseman. Remember when we were like, oh my god, are they seriously going to put Max Munsey at third base? Howard, what are we doing? And what's going on? And he has really embraced the position. He getting glasses helped, which is fine, but you know what, it's good for him. Good for him for being a three time All Star, a three time World Series Champion, and a three time dad. And Kelly Munsey you know posted that too. It's been a coal it's been a cool year for that family. And I don't know in terms of Dodgers over the course of the last ten to eleven years, since he got there whenever it's been. I don't know that they win back to back World Series championships without Max Munsey. I don't know that they get there without Max Munsey.
Speaker 3: So I think he is.
Speaker 4: I don't know if we can say he's underrated, certainly not by the Dodger faithable, but maybe baseball overall. But to be an All Star again and having not been in five years and having this type of year again is really cool to.
Speaker 6: See, Katie.
Speaker 5: I mean, you're still new issue here. What was kind of the Monthsye? You know, I guess narrative outside of LA before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really glad Alana brought up the defense because it was the other day in New York.
Speaker 1: He charged a slow hit ground ball, made the playoff first, and I was like, that guy is moving.
Speaker 2: And the narrative away from Los Angeles up until I got here was, you know, an offense first, maybe on the decline were he wasn't playing hot corn or fourth defense necessarily. And this goes back to a conversation that we brought up on the show last month that I had with Freddy Freeman, where the Dodgers know what kind of player on kind of value Max Munsey brings, but because he plays on a team full of superstars, he can sometimes become overshadowed by you name it, I mean, go down the list. But that doesn't diminish his place in Dodger lore. And this season, specifically, with the down years from Kyle Tucker, with the questions over the entire offense really especially the corner outfielders, it's Max Munsey has been slight silently carrying this offense for a large majority of this season, and it's still going pretty unnoticed even though he is an All Star across.
Speaker 1: The league because there are so many names to fixate on.
Speaker 2: But now that you're I'm in Dodger Land and I see the ins and outs of the clubhouse and just what Max Munsey means to the fan base, to the team, you can absolutely make the case Dodgers Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: To me, that's no brainer.
Speaker 2: And see what he This Dodgers team, this core, this dynasty is nowhere near the same without Max Munsey on and off the field.
Speaker 6: Them are facts.
Speaker 5: Now after the auls or after the trade deadline and then things settle, I think it's about time we finally have Max on the show properly because Alana, we've been doing this for a while and Max has been on the show. Every time we go to spring training, get a chance to talk to him.
Speaker 6: Love Max.
Speaker 5: I always feel bad about potentially bugging him because he has to deal with, you know, the Foul Territory boys at least once a month. It's like, hey, leave him alone, let him do with his own thing, but let's get him on there.
Speaker 6: Yeah we could share.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Katie and I will work on that because I do feel like we go to him a lot because he is on Foul as a regularly regular guest and as a friend of the program. But yeah, I would love to. Of course I would love to have him on Dodgers Territory. Much more to come in terms of that. As far as the overreaction, and let's talk about it, right, I mean the bullpen, they were not great. And you know what, Katie, and you noticed it too, and you and Clint were talking about it earlier. It's not just the bullpen on Sunday that had the meltdown with Jack, you know, Jack Dryer, Evan Phillips and then we'll climb Oh my goodness. And to Jack Dryer's credit, he's been very very good over the course of the last month. This was just a bad outing for him. Will Klein hasn't been that great and July was horrible for the relieving core and Clint, you can throw up the graphic that you made. I mean, ninth worst in all of baseball guys, I mean, that's not going to get it done. And they again, they have time to fix it, and Edwin Diaz isn't back yet. Those types of things. However, I would like to know if this is is this your biggest concern as we sit here, Katie on July twenty seventh, or is this just a you know, flash in the pan type of situation.
Speaker 2: I think it's probably a really good time for M and DS to be coming back, so that will help. He'll be back Wednesday, made his final rehab start with Oka see on Sunday, and that's going to allow everyone to shift down a little bit right because Edwin Dz is going to go right back into that ninth Innian Tanner Scott.
Speaker 1: He's been really really good this year as well.
Speaker 2: So you have the lefty righty combo, and that allows the leverage roles to everyone trickles down. This is especially important for someone like Evan Phillips, who is still coming back from you know, and adjusting to the major leagues after missing significant time coming back from Tommy John.
Speaker 1: I think Evan's been candid about.
Speaker 2: How difficult it can be to adjust to the major league atmosphere. The pitch selection in terms of what he's been throwing hasn't always been great. We've seen a high homer rate so far in the small sample size. But Dave Roberts said yesterday, you know, I still trust Evan a lot. He's still up there in terms of a big weapon for us and high leverage in means, but right now, for him to get his feelback and his confidence back, we're gonna slot him down to lower leverage. And that's smart because when you have someone like Evan Phillips coming up and returning to the team, he's earned that that trust, that high leverage, But with him still adjusting to major leagues, still finding the fuel for his pitching again, it makes sense to slot him down. The Dodgers can do that now with Diaz coming back. Jack Dryer, bad day, he's been really good from the left side, will climb a bad month, So this can allow kind of as a reset, and the Dodgers have so much pitching depth for relief wise that I don't think this is that big of a deal. If we were still a month away from Edwind Diaz returning, I'd be panicking a little bit more. But Wednesday we'll have a much different bullpen. It'll look much more lined with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Believed it would have, you know, in April, and we'll go from there.
Speaker 2: But the two guys I'm really I'm really looking at are just Diaz and Evan Phillips, because if they can get back to their form, we're not talking about the bull time come September.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I want to focus a little bit on on Will Klein because this is a guy who had kind of moved up the trust tree confidence cactus, if you will, and and he has been quite not good over the last two months, trying to pop up a screen here. We got the last ten days with a an era pushing eight. We got seven five to nine ERA since the start of June, actually since June fourth, the second appearance of the month, we have a six sixty ERA.
Speaker 6: And this is a guy.
Speaker 5: He's struggling with the walks, he's struggling with a little bit of command. He's coming in in leverage situations with guys you know, runners on base, other guys you know, leftover ducks on the pond, and those guys are scoring, and that's somebody, you know, to piggyback on what Katie is saying there for him to move down into probably a little bit lower of a leverage situation maybe be I wouldn't want to call him a mop up guy, but just somebody to get some outs, probably start some fresh innings, but get some outs, get that confidence back because we've seen the stuff. We know it's pretty good. Over the first couple of months, he was very good, very important for this team as well. But that's one of those guys where it feels like Dave got so reliant on him to sort of be a fireman while being without Phillips for majority of the year, being it without, you know, eventually losing the trust in Kyle Hurt and all that kind of stuff. Kleina stepped up and he hasn't handled it as well, but I think it's a great opportunity. Everybody moves down, getting Edwin Diaz back, so that is huge, But that's somebody over the next month and change. Really keep your eyes on Will Klein because you're gonna start piecing together what a postseason roster, postseason bullpen looks like. And there might be just a couple better guys than Will Klein who can take the you know, take down those innings.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: They are getting to the point now, you guys, where they're really going to start thinking about what their postseason bullpen looks like. When Edwin Diaz comes back and then they start moving backwards from that on ninth inning, what does that look like? So you know, again, it's only July twenty seventh, the trade deadline is a week away. There's still a lot of baseball to be played. But the Dodgers know that they're in right. I mean, they have a fifty billion game lead in the division, that type of situation. So this is where they start really thinking about what makes the most sense, who makes the most sense. When they start looking at who they potentially will face in the first round, which for us we would believe would be the National League Division Series, let's shift the conversation here on Dodgers' territory, and again we want your comments, guys to get in the chat, see what we think. Thanks, see what you're thinking as I spit all over myself, which is nice. Showay o taani. He has not been the same guys since the All Star break and you can take a look at and Katie's talked about this too.
Speaker 3: But in MLB dot com.
Speaker 4: On MLB dot com rather there's an article. It wasn't from Sonia She's I believe out. But they talked to Dave Roberts about if he felt that Sho Hay's situation has to do with anything.
Speaker 3: Is the knee affecting the swing?
Speaker 4: And Dave said the quality of contact has gone down considerably since the break.
Speaker 3: I just think he is missing the ball.
Speaker 4: He did hit the ball hard a number of times, but since the All Star break, seven for thirty eight, that's a one to eighty four average, no home runs, just two walks in ten k's. Dave is not blaming it on the physical situation rather, and he's not chasing Katie, but he is saying he's mishitting the ball.
Speaker 3: What do you what do you make of those comments?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's difficult for us because we despite multiple requests throughout the road trip, we haven't gotten a chance to talk to a Tani since.
Speaker 1: Before the All Star break. So Dave Robertson is in a.
Speaker 2: Tough situation because he essentially has to answer for Atani's health every day because we obviously want to know, and the only person that really knows how Atani is feeling is Otani.
Speaker 1: Now, when you look at the numbers, I agree he's had.
Speaker 2: Some more heart hit contact than the numbers would suggest, but there's been some questionable decisions on the bass paths, especially for a player who should be resting that knee right.
Speaker 1: We saw it in Philly.
Speaker 2: He goes from first to second and then Elijah Alfonso wipes out at home plate. That run doesn't count. We saw him trying to stretch a double into a triple. These are things that are going to be reflected in the average and make it look a little worse. But overall, I don't think we've seen nearly the same type of Otani the hitter as we saw for most of the first half. And you do have to wonder at this point how much is that knee affecting it.
Speaker 1: And you know, he said I feel the need more when.
Speaker 2: I'm putching because he believes it's more of a planting thing mechanic wise, but there is a mental thing. Possibly you could be overcompensating for not wanting to damage that knee and throwing off your mechanics. And I think overall, it's it's worth questioning if the Dodger should just sit Otani for a couple of days and rest that one hundred percent. And again, it's hard for me to sit here and say that's what they should or shouldn't do, because we haven't talked to him and we don't know how he's feeling.
Speaker 1: We go off what Dave is saying, and Davis obviously hearing that from show.
Speaker 2: Hey, but if the numbers keep progressing this way, it's warranted to continue asking should they shut him down for just a week and just make sure that knee is all a one hundred percent. I'd be under the impression of that is something that they should do, especially with this comfortable twelve game lead in the division. They're not exactly in a spot where they need to keep stacking up the wins. And I say that with respect. I'm not suggesting that they're gonna, you know, just all of a sudden, throwing the towel and not care. But they've earned this lead, and they have the luxury to be able to do things like take a couple of games off for their star players. Maybe this helps Otani's knee overall, we'll see.
Speaker 4: I have a question for you in terms of access, Katie, because when I was there with the Dodgers for seven seasons, Show Hay was not a Dodger yet, so I don't I didn't have the same types of experiences that you guys are having now in terms of the amount of Japanese media that are there for not only Show Hey, but for obviously for Yamamoto and for Rokisis, but certainly more because of Show Hey. Now, the fact that he hasn't talked to you guys since before the All Star break that thrives me bananas.
Speaker 3: Now, I was a team employee.
Speaker 4: So I really couldn't say much because I was a Dodger employee. I was part of the Dodger family. But as a beat writer for a non Dodger organization that must drive you guys insane. I mean, does it get to the point where you have to go to the league about it?
Speaker 3: Do you go to I mean.
Speaker 4: Why is it allowed for Show hay not to speak.
Speaker 2: It's a It's a really good question, and I think it puts like from my perspective, I don't want to be speaking for show Hey Otani because that's a responsibility that that's it's not mine to wear that. I don't want to put the words in the mouth of a global superstar, which is why I think there's there's a desire for us to want to talk to him right now because he's the only one that can really convey how he's feeling.
Speaker 1: And I can.
Speaker 2: Completely understand and respect the amount of insane demands show Hey has every single day been related to media and when he's pitching, and most starting pitchers are required to speak after every start my recent memory over the last six months i've been here, He's always done that and that's appreciated. But right now, you know, we've seen players duck out when injuries before, especially when they really don't want to talk about it. It's why we appreciate you guys like Fernandez, who as soon as he suffered that that oblique strain, was at his locker ready to talk. They're not required by any means. All we can do is keep asking and then if we don't get the player access. It's our job to go find people who will tell us.
Speaker 1: What they think are what they're hearing.
Speaker 2: That just adds another level of complication, though, And the last thing that I want to do as a beat reporter is misconstrue information or say, oh, I heard this from this person who said show he is feeling this, but Show he is actually not. The Only way for us to know that is to be able to talk to him. So we're going to continue requesting and hopefully he'll talk to us back at out your stadium.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 5: And what makes it tough, though, is you know, it does make Dave the unwanted Show Hey spokesperson, and you know you talked about it in your column, Like He's like, I'm going off what I'm hearing from Show Hey, what I'm hearing from the training staff.
Speaker 6: This is your quote here or Dave's quote.
Speaker 5: In from his words of hitting the running not affected by the knee. I can only go by what he and the training staff are telling me, so unless I hear otherwise, you know, if something is if the hitting is compromising his health, I'm gonna keep putting him in the lineup.
Speaker 6: It's Putt Dave in a tough position.
Speaker 5: To have to be that spokesperson and really on the swing part at whatever the show, Hey thing, it's he's a unicorn. I guess he gets to do whatever he wants. Probably should be a little more available, but the swing the knee more so might not affect the actual swing and the mechanics and and and hurt the knee.
Speaker 6: More by him doing it.
Speaker 5: But you could tell it's affecting the swing and the fact that the body probably can't get into certain positions, and you're seeing he's hitting the ball hard. But it's right at dudes, he's a guy who maybe you know, you get the launch angle going because you're able to get down into that back knee at back leg a little bit more. I think that's what's missing. And I do believe the knee is affecting the swing, and I believe it's probably not gonna hurt him to take a week off. It's okay, you're probably still gonna win the MVP. But the World Series needs to be the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Preach.
Speaker 6: That's it. We don't need to have too much follow that. That's pretty much it.
Speaker 5: If you guys feel different, sound off in the comments below, I doubt you do. I care more about you know rings than another piece of hardware on show. Hey, potentially another piece of hardware on show Hayes Mantle, we got deadline stuff to talk about, having really even touched on any of that. So there is more Dodger's territory to come. Subscribe to the channel if you haven't done it yet. It helps us out a whole bunch. We're trying to get to twenty thousand subscribers. We passed seventeen thousand while Alana was gone, so that's cool.
Speaker 1: We're there.
Speaker 5: It's a different looking number, it's a different shape of number. But help us out subscribe to the channel. Like the video for now, what we're gonna do. We're gonna tell you about our friends over at Seat Geek because finally, mercifully, the Dodgers are back home starting tomorrow, much to the joy of kd Wu who's been gone for two weeks. And if you guys have missed the Dodgers being at home, you can have a whole bunch of opportunities. Six games, good teams, well, one good team with the Red Sox over the weekend, got the Mariners coming in tomorrow they have World Series Ring giveaway Day, which somehow I got to get my pause on one of those.
Speaker 6: But if you guys want one of those you're watching, you want to go to a.
Speaker 5: Game any of these six games support your boys in blue, I would tell you check out tickets with our friends over at seat geek.
Speaker 6: If over thirty five million downloads.
Speaker 5: Seat Geek of course is the number one rated ticketing app, So get your tickets to a Dodger game. You can also get concerts and festivals and all that kind of stuff. But you could save ten percent on baseball tickets using our code. Alana, why don't you tell them more about, you know, some seat geek stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so green means good in terms of the dots. Red means not as good. You probably may get an obstructed view seat if you will. Every ticket, though, is backed by their buyer guarantee. And of course we have a code for you. You can use code Territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets. If you want to see Cal Rawley and the Mariners coming in for whatever reason. If you want to see the Red Sox coming into town. They are hot right now. If you want to see the Dodgers kick the crap out of them all week and long. You can do that too, ten percent off any Major League Baseball tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app, have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 3: Thank you, seek Geek.
Speaker 4: All right, guys, I feel like we've been talking about the trade deadline since spring training kicked off. It seems like such a huge topic of conversation. Everybody wants to know who we're going to be additions, who were going to be the subtractions. It is about a week away August third, a little lateater this year. The Dodgers are in an interesting position when it comes to the roster, Katie, because guys are coming back from injury that could make other positions and other guys a little bit redundant. Take us deeper into your recent article with The Athletic.
Speaker 1: Yes, my time to shine.
Speaker 2: I love the gossip portion of this job, but we're talking as we are a week away from this August third deadline. Freddie Freeman said a best post game yesterday at is Locker. Dylan Hernandez asked, you know, Freddy, what's the feeling getting He gave Hernandez back Edwin Diaz, Blake Snell, and Freddy did my favorite thing.
Speaker 1: He smiled, and he said nice trade deadline. Huh. So essentially, yes, these.
Speaker 2: Guys coming back are going to make this club much better than almost any available deadline situation could possibly do. We've talked about this for the last couple of weeks, but what the Dodgers are looking to do is capitalize on the margins and capitalize on the market, which makes guys like Eric Lauer and Alex Call expendable. Two reasons why the names of the guys that we just listened to coming back makes these positions redundant. And also, when you look at how the trade market is shaping up, starting pitching is always at a premium and there is a real, real limited availability of.
Speaker 1: Right handed bats.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers, with Kik coming back tomorrow that is the plan, are suddenly going to have a lot of right handed bats on their roster, So why not alleviate will start with Alex Call first some of that roster congestion and try to capitalize on the market.
Speaker 1: Where there is a significant demand for it.
Speaker 2: Alex Call is not this power bat right and that's not what I'm implying here when I say right handed bat, I'm saying Alex Call has the skill set of the speed, the ability to come in late in the game, platoon in the outfield that contending teams want because they make.
Speaker 1: Their postseason roster better.
Speaker 2: It is exactly why the Dodgers traded for him at this time last year because of that skill set. And with so many teams on the bubble right around are above five hundred, right outside the wildcar picture in both leagues, a player like Alex Call will make your post season better because of that skill set. We know the Dodgers want to reallocate or rebalance their farm system. They got a lot of outfielders, not a lot of middle infield catching depth.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that course. Pitching in the upper tier.
Speaker 2: Moving Alex Call to maybe bulk up some some of that minor league options is a win win for both sides. They get to capitalize on a need in the market and addressing need in their minor league system without deviating from their major league squad. Same with Eric Lawer, and this one's a little more I can go both sides on this one, so I'm interested to hear what you guys think. The Dodgers believe that they're starting pitching depth come October is the deepest that it's going to be, assuming Blake Snell, Tyler glassnow edwind Diaz all come back healthy. The reason we already know you only need four starters tops in your playoff rotation. You can slide a Rokie Sasaki and his big glove. You can slide justin Rabluski bullpen. You have DIA's back. Everything is kind of reallocated where you have all of your best arms on the roster, regardless of role. Eric Lawer for as valuable and as serviceable as he's been in that first time, I mean you could argue he's been one of the Dodgers' most important players in the first half because his ability to go out there every sixth day allowed them to keep.
Speaker 1: That six man rotation.
Speaker 2: That service will no longer be needed when Snell comes back and Eric Lower has two months remaining of control, so easy for the Dodgers to take or for an opposing team to take a flyer on. Dodgers can capitalize on on starting pitching because every team will overpay at the deadline for starting pitching. Lower is not going to make that playoff rotation, all respect to him, probably not going to make it at all in the bullpen, So why not move.
Speaker 1: This is how the Dodgers are thinking.
Speaker 2: We have two areas of need, or we have two areas of depth that other areas need. There are not a lot of places on the market for starting pitching and right handed hitters. Can we move them and then address some of our minor league need because the guys coming back from the al are already going to make our major league team stronger.
Speaker 5: Listen, I feel like it makes a lot of sense obviously to trade lawer, try to get the recoup the most amount of talent back that you can out of what was just a throwaway flyer sort of acquisition. But now I want to be greedy here. I want to be glutton this. I want to also protect the starting rotation. When I look at Eric Lower, and We've talked about this a lot, this is a guy who he wins the dodge, the team wins every single time he goes out there and starts.
Speaker 6: And now that I've said that, it's going to change.
Speaker 5: But I have talked ad nauseum about Justin Robleski coming up against an innings not a limit, but he is about to surpass a career high in innings and there's still two months of baseball to be played. You don't know about the state of Shoheo Tani. You don't know how far Tyler glassnow is from actually rejoining the team, if he ever does. I feel strong about Blake Snell, but Glass now, even with him throwing the guys, things can change. What he threw the bullpen on Friday. I think having Lauer around.
Speaker 6: Is just a good safety blanket.
Speaker 5: That's what more so it is, it's you're glutting us with the safety blanket there. And for a team that cares more about October, given the giving the rest of the starting rotation an opportunity to kind of like, hey, you know what.
Speaker 6: Let's give this dude a blow. Will throw in laur here. That's what I really like.
Speaker 5: That said, if they can go out and find a way to get another probably not a TIBs or something like that, but I trust Brandon Gomes and Andrew Friedman to get value back for somebody like Eric Lauer, especially in a market like this, it's just river Ryan is still not healthy. You don't have depth. You need somebody to be able to eat some meetings in the rotation. That's kind of where I'm at, Riz. I'm interested in your thoughts.
Speaker 4: I'm looking more, I guess towards the postseason. I think, yes, right now in the immediacy, I can see what you're talking about in terms of Eric Lawer eating up innings. But the thought of Eric Lawer not being on a postseason roster, at least not for us, is crazy to think that our depth is that good. And as you guys were just talking about, as Katie was shocking about, this is, you know, the most depth that they feel they've had in their pitching staff in a very long time.
Speaker 3: But again, like what would you do with him?
Speaker 4: And I think about that too when you're looking further into the postseason. Eric Lawer is not going to likely be on the postseason roster, right, So it's like, okay, so me and you for the first round, you only really technically need three, right, So that means Justin Robleski, who's been unbelievable it could be an ace on other teams obviously, is going to be in the Dodgers' bullpen, whether that's like as a long man or however they decide to make to change the work load for him.
Speaker 3: But I wish we could have.
Speaker 4: A trade deadline right before the postseason started, right so I wish you could have like Eric Lawer here until eating up some innings and letting our other guys get totally healthy. Whatever happens with Tyler glasnow and those types of things, and then if he's not going to make our postseason roster, then allow him to be on a postseason roster, just not for us. Can we make those new rules? Like if I was commissioner for the day, I would do that.
Speaker 2: Well with you guys, because I think this is exactly what the Dodgers from office is debating.
Speaker 1: You know, do you take a risk?
Speaker 2: And if River Ryan was healthy, I don't have any issue with dealing Eric Blower. And it's been kind of a fumble of the bag by River Ryan the season. There have been many opportunities for him to come up and that stuff is just so good. I still think there's a chance we see him late in September. But if you had a healthy River Ryan all of a sudden, I don't think there's any debate of keeping Eric Lawer or not. But because there's going to be a gap coming up really in the next two weeks, we're not going to have six starters even with Lower here, I can understand the hesitation because you want to protect your starting pitching depth.
Speaker 1: However, when you look at what Andrew Freeman.
Speaker 2: Does best, it is again capitalizing on the market, and this Lower trade is very similar to what the Dodgers did last year, this time with Dustin May, now a little different. Lower is thirty one, and May I think was twenty seven when he was traded, but again was going to be a free agent, just two months remaining of control, and when the Dodgers swapped him in that deal, it was for two output the prospects James Tais the third and Zach Erhard, which who ironically are in consideration if the Dodgers go there the prospect for prospect trade route to be dealt for a different kind of prospect depth.
Speaker 1: So you are looking, if you're Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 2: At a unique opportunity to go shop a starter and net a return that's gonna help you in the future for someone that you're not gonna miss in your postseason roster. And again I don't want to diminish what Eric Lawer did in the first half.
Speaker 1: He saved that rotation. They're eight tozer with him. He's gone out and done his job.
Speaker 2: He's a veteran guy that's gonna give him even more value because teams are gonna look at his track record and say, this is someone that we know exactly what we're gonna get with. He has postseason experience, He's not gonna cost a lot because they'll be a free agent come October. These are all things that teams way that give lower value, and Lower's best value in the second half of the Dodgers might be trading him to see what he can bring this organization because he's simply not going to make that playoff rotation and probably not going to make that playoff roster in general. So it's it's an interesting gamble that the Dodgers you're gonna make. But I think Andrew Friedman doesn't need me to say this is smart enough to know when to came was on the market and when not to.
Speaker 4: It's funny that you say that, because I swear to God, I texted him yesterday about a guy that I was like, Hey, can we get this guy as a backup catcher? I realize he's not Will Smith, But Will Smith is, you know, not coming back anytime soon. By the way, Will Carroll of Injury Territory is going to come on our show on Thursday to talk more about the Will Smith situation. But what we really need that I tell you guys that so I can tell you this the definite need. We can debate, you know, the Eric Lower situation all day long. This team needs another catcher. So Katie, I just I'll ask you that who's that going to be? What does that look like to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think the Dodgers are one very confident that Will Smith is going to come back before the postseason, and they really like what they've seen from Dalton rushing at this point. They feel like he's earned this run of everyday playing time. And I don't disagree, but I do agree that that finding a third string casher to slop behind Dalton and in front of CHUCKI Robinson and Eliza Alfonso is is probably the biggest need for this roster at the moment, just because as if something happens to Dalton all of a sudden, your catching looks crazy. So you're not looking if you're the Dodgers to go and find someone that's going to take away reps from Dal and Rushing.
Speaker 1: They don't want to do that. But when you're looking at.
Speaker 2: At available guys, they're not going to go out in trade for Bryan Jeffers. Alright, the catching pitching, or the catching market in general is pretty pretty slim. But they could go around and just find some backup depth, like exactly the kinds of trade they made last year right now, I don't really know if that kind of reunion is in the cards. But speaking of cards, this is supposed to be a much more seamless position.
Speaker 1: You're looking at tea that have.
Speaker 2: Like up and coming prospects in Triple A or a redundancy in catchers, and the Saint Louis Cardinals have some of the largest catching depth.
Speaker 1: In all of baseball.
Speaker 2: They currently have three catchers on their active roster. All three are very young with several years of remaining control. They also have a very heavy catching prospect system in their minor leagues. Now Andrew Freeman Heim Bloom, there's obvious a tie there from their days in Tampa. You're looking at you know, maybe this is just me speculating floating a name around. Someone like a Pedro Pajaz, who has been with the Cardinals for a couple of years now, was lauded by this Veterans staff for the last couple of years for his game planning and prep. He's not going to go out there and slug twenty homers, but he's going to take care of a staff and allow Dolins to give a little blow when needed and just hold down the.
Speaker 1: Fort until Will Smith comes. That's kind of the trade they're looking at potentially making. It's not going to be a big go get the best catcher on the market and just kicked Dalton out of there. They just want to bulk up their depth.
Speaker 2: So maybe it's someone like Pedro Pajas, or maybe it's an up and coming catching prospect that they can help build up their catching depth for the foreseeable future. I'm not sure we're seeing a lot of certain ties right now. So it's most likely going to be someone that we'd never heard of, that Andrew Freeman is going to be like, yeah, he's been there all along, or or.
Speaker 5: It's finally going to be Bennyvett coming back home. Listen, I'm always going to go back to Benny Biceps. He's actually on a heater right now at Triple A, last four games, hitting four hundred six for fifteen. He's playing part time at Triple A. Thing I like about rourt Vett is he has familiarity with this staff, with the organization. He's a fan favorite. The tattoos look good. He looks good with the shirt off. He's got the guns, all of that kind of stuff. He knows how to handle a champagne shower. And the Dodgers were also four and oh in the playoffs last year, in games in which he started, while we were waiting for Will Smith once again to return from an injury, that time the hand issue. He had the fractured hand. But Katie, you had mentioned the Dodgers are confident that Will Smith will return from the injured list of JO. They were also confident that he wasn't gonna need to go on the fucking IL back in June, and here we are. They're also confident, Oh, it's only gonna be probably, uh, you know, the short stint ten days and.
Speaker 6: He'll be back.
Speaker 5: And now we are approaching two months, and you know, I was talking to Will Carroll earlier about that you know you had we had seen last week. Maybe mid August is kind of the target. He's saying that it's an optimistic checkpoint right now rather than a return date.
Speaker 6: And I worry about Will.
Speaker 5: Coming back too late and maybe he's not locked in, or maybe something goes wrong with the neck again, and then you're caught with your pants down around your ankles.
Speaker 6: Because it's not going to be well. Dalton.
Speaker 5: Obviously he's catching the majority of your postseason innings, but at some point you're probably gonna need to see some Alfonso in there. I really hope we don't see Chucky Robinson in there. They have Griffin Lockwell Powell down at Triple A as well. I am not comfortable with the lack of a veteran presence behind Dalton or in front of Dalton for a postseason run all of the important Alana. You saw it in twenty twenty, Will had the Keys, lost the Keys, Austin Barnes took over behind Catcher and they don't win that World Series without Austin.
Speaker 4: People realize how much Austin has meant to this team. In the postseason, specifically, you can throw out Austin's regular season numbers. But remember when we had Yazmani Grandal, mister passball may Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean Austin Barnes not to not for nothing, when a j Ellis was in here, Austin Barnes was Clayton Kershaw's personal catcher. Okay, that that to me speaks volumes, and you need a veteran presence back there that, yes, to your point, has dealt with the pitching staff before, or at least has some you know, some some.
Speaker 3: Notches on the belt, if you will.
Speaker 4: That's probably not the right way to say that, but you know what I'm talking about, Like, you need something around the hell they're doing behind the plate, right and Austin Barnes is not the guy for this situation right now. Austin Barton probably hasn't picked up a baseball at a long time, and he's he's, you know whatever, he's not probably in baseball shape obviously. I kind of like your Ben hurt Fitt move. I mentioned Carlos Narvayaz of the Boston Red Sox because he's not getting any playing time in Boston right now, really, and I think he'd be a solid kind of veteran backup presence for Dalton until Will does get back. And again, when when are we certain that Will's going to come back? I mean, granted, we're not going to necessarily need him for his offense in terms of the timing getting that ready, but you just never know what you're going to get from a guy that is coming.
Speaker 3: I will flip you the burd just that I.
Speaker 4: Heard Tim Federovitch is available stop at FedEx is not available in the organization, I think as yeah, and Jonaheim is not, and the Athletics are losing guys to ruptured testicles. Shaye Beangaliers is now out with the ACL issue.
Speaker 3: I think, Jah, I'm going to literally I.
Speaker 4: Don't think Jonahman's is going to be available for any team to pick up. I don't think the Athletics are going to part with him, even though they have no reason to even play baseball anymore.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 6: I think I think we're all in agreement here. They need a catcher.
Speaker 5: I think the organization is an agreement that they would like to have just a break in case of emergency catcher. I have no problem with them carrying three catchers on the active roster because you're barely using Alex Freeland as it is Alex call is, you know, as we've identified a redundancy with Keiky Hernandez coming back and Tommy Edmund being around and Tao being healthy, so on and so forth. When Alfonso is starting, he's off getting pinch hit for, and then Dalton is losing his days off, so carrying three catchers it doesn't hurt you right now, and then hopefully knock on desk here, everything is fine and William dill Smith is back and healthy and his neck is mobile by the time we get to September and he has a month to lock in and go to be, you know, back to being the postseason hero we know and love.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm reading some of I'm reading some of our comments from the chat.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's just too good.
Speaker 4: A no, it's like ruptured Testicles is kind of a banger of a name.
Speaker 3: Not gonna lie Peanuts.
Speaker 6: That's a it's a good band name right there.
Speaker 2: I was just about to say it sounded like a band name that like little grunge underground situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Seattle is coming to town, so maybe we will. We will get that, all right, guys, So we definitely need a catcher. That's the whole point of that whole conversation is we need a catcher. All right, Let's get to last lectur really quick.
Speaker 6: Do that, all right?
Speaker 4: So some good news. Corer is officially being adopted. This is Core's mom, Caroline. She is going to be on a transport from a very rural town in Texas to southern California, where she's going to be getting a lot more exposure. But we need she needs an adopter, and we need donations for the transport because it is not inexpensive to get dogs safely and legally to their new location. So if you want to learn more about Caroline, please let me know. And if you could drop a dollar at gidri'sguardian dot org, that would be most helpful as well. So Core is getting a forever home. We're hopeful that Scotti gets a forever home coming up. He's in a foster trial right now. Millie just got adopted. So we're getting there. We're getting there, We're getting there, we're getting there.
Speaker 5: Can't help myself, I can't help myself, Caroline.
Speaker 6: That's sorry.
Speaker 3: He see I think I think of sweet Caroline.
Speaker 6: Well, you would get out of your masshole.
Speaker 3: Listen. I don't like this song. I'm just telling you, that's what comes to mind.
Speaker 5: We've got twenty bucks right now from Nancy saying for the dog. We got another twenty earlier actually from Nancy giving some love to Alana, saying love Alana, She's living my best life.
Speaker 4: Oh, I love you, Nancy. Thank you, sweethearts. Yeah, thank you, appreciate that very much. All right, guys, good show. Appreciate you. Clint and I will be back together on Wednesday for postgame first game of the Seattle series, No Second of the Seattle series. Katie obviously will be in the clubhouse, and then the three of us, I think, are back on Thursday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll talk about all the entries.
Speaker 4: Will we'll talk about Thursday, guys.
Speaker 2: You know what else is Thursday? Rokie and his regular size glove Day. So this is my favorite bits. It's my favorite bit. It's gonna get bigger every time it's but don't worry, it's the same glove.
Speaker 5: It's like that hat and super Troopers. It just keeps getting bigger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I sent I sent Oral and Joe a text about this when he pitched a few outings Ago, I'm like.
Speaker 3: Why is his glove gigantic?
Speaker 2: Anyway, he said, A space is getting smaller.
Speaker 1: Rookie has jokes. He's growing up.
Speaker 6: Rookie has jokies.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, we'll see you on Wednesday.
Speaker 6: Bye,