Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome to Desperately Devoted, the Ultimate Desperate Housewives rewatch hosted by me Terry Hatcher, my on screen daughter Andrea Bowen, and my real life daughter Emerson Tenney.
Speaker 2: Each week, we continue our rewatch of Desperate Housewives and discuss all the fascinating topics inspired by this incredible show.
Speaker 3: This week is such a good one.
Speaker 4: It's such a good one.
Speaker 3: Let's dive into episode six, Running to stand Still, which aired on November seventh, two thousand and four.
Speaker 5: What a jam packed hour. In this episode, the tension between Gabrielle and her mother in law hits a new high or low, depending on how you look at it.
Speaker 2: Oh my, it does go low, and Lynette finds herself taking some pretty extreme measures to live up to the elusive task of being a mom who is trying to do it all.
Speaker 3: Susan and Julie sneak into a juvenile mental health facility as one does, yes, you know, casual, and we get a very sexually charged storyline from Brie which features a pretty iconic burrito.
Speaker 5: And yeah, we are gonna get more on that burrito later.
Speaker 4: Yes we are.
Speaker 5: We definitely are.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we like to start our episode by hearing each other's most desperate moment. Our most favorite desperate moment, Andrea.
Speaker 3: Mine, I would say is Lynette taking her kid's add medication to finish the costumes for the school play.
Speaker 4: That is bad.
Speaker 2: Although as the only actual mother of the three of us, I'm just gonna say, well, I never did that.
Speaker 4: It is totally relatable.
Speaker 5: I feel like my most desperate moment has to be Gabby dropping her mother in law off at a casino to go into crippling debt fueled by her gambling addiction, just to cover up an affair with a minor. She is a pretty.
Speaker 4: Rough mother in law.
Speaker 2: I mean, I you know, she may deserve it, and it is a very complicated situation. Okay, Well Mine and I don't know if this is desperate because it's it's also rave, and also she's glorious looking. But I found the fact that Brie put on this unbelievably sexy red underwear lingerie with a mink fur coat over it and shows up at her husband's hotel room desperate to basically get him to fuck her.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I felt like that was that was that was a bottomed out moment. But although also an iconic one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the motel made that worse the hotel room itself, the motel. Okay, well, we clearly have so much more to explore here, so let's get into episode six.
Speaker 5: Yes, oh my gosh, running to Standstill, which actually is one of the few other non son time lyric episodes. This is named after a U two song. Oh okay, very of the era.
Speaker 2: I wonder if Mark Cherry is a big you two fano another thing we have to ask him.
Speaker 4: You need to keep a scorecard of that.
Speaker 2: Also, I find this episode amazing, as they all are. I think the battle that Gabby is having with her mother in law mother in law is just epic. And Brie and Rex and you know, the continuing dissolution of the positivity of their marriage is very interesting to look at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we started this episode with a garage sale, a yard sale, which I.
Speaker 5: Just have to say, My mom is a huge fan of yard sales. The second I saw Susan in a yard sale, I was like, Okay, she wasn't trying too hard.
Speaker 3: Terry, are you a fan of having yard sales or going to yards sales?
Speaker 5: Going two yards? Ye?
Speaker 2: Now, I mean, you know, I know, when my parents moved out of the home that I grew up in and they lived in.
Speaker 4: For forty years, they had a garage.
Speaker 2: Sale and I helped them, you know, like T shirts for a quarter on the lawn, that kind of yard sale. And I've had a yard sale back when maybe I was pregnant with you or maybe you were just born. But I had a yard sale out in Shadow Hills where I used to live in Los Angeles, and the pop Rozzi came and it ended up in those days it was the National Choir that was the big tabloid magazine, and it was like some sort of horrible how pathetic is she that she has to have a garage And I like it maybe look like a total loser that I had a garage sale, And I was like, garage sales are fun, reuse, repurpose.
Speaker 5: You know. I have so many memories of going to garage sales. I remember my mom and I we would drive around LA on the weekends and sometimes we would see in a state sale sign and it would be the most exciting thing ever and we'd go and we'd follow it. And I mean at the time, I was a kid, so I was always looking for like vintage figurines or anything equestrian related. Yeah, but I still I.
Speaker 2: Tell you them sometimes as well. First of all, I was going to use set a state sale. I do think this is something I give very hung up on. Like you get to somebody's estate sale and you're like, uh, this is a yard sale. This is the yeah, yeah, misleading advertising. I'm just saying anyway, But sometimes I don't buy anything. Sometimes I'm just so curious about other people's lives, which I guess leads.
Speaker 4: Us really right into the show.
Speaker 3: I do have one very quick, wonderful garage sale story experience. Okay, so we were having a garage sale, estate sale. I don't know, we were selling a lot. I have a large family. There's always a lot to sell anyway, and a woman came over to me holding a pair of very cute high heels that we had been mine, and she asked me if I had them in another size.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, it's not a store, I was, lady.
Speaker 3: This is a yard sale, not Bloomingdale's.
Speaker 2: But oh my gosh, that's so funny, you know, and it just made me think. Actually, one other personal story there was a while I don't know if you remember this when I was doing the celebrity yard sale to benefit at the Juvenile Arthritis, and I did one at the Americana, I did one at our house, and I would get different celebrities to donate their stuff and all the money went to Juvenile Arthritis, which which I was I was a what do you call it when you spokesperson? Yes, I guess, and that was kind of through Children's Hospital Los Angeles, which I still work with. But anyways, Yes, so people seem to be very generous with their used goods.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, and so is Paul.
Speaker 2: He's like, I don't know if he's generous or he just wasn't get rid of.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's currently offloading, which leads to Susan buying it's a crystal bowl, crystal of oz. But what he wraps it in is even more important. That's going to come back later, that yellow blanket. Yes, And I love that Susan is snooping around and asks about his swollen lip and how he got it, and he goes the regular way for asking too many questions. Right, Yeah, he is just such a good villain, he really is.
Speaker 3: And he only is getting more villainous, you know, which I kind of didn't remember, and obviously Mark Moses is not like that. But yeah, it's he's he's sneaky this episode, for sure.
Speaker 2: I think it's coming from some I mean, I mean this is interesting to him. We'll be interesting as we get to talk to some of these people. You know, sometimes in the arc of a series like this, I don't even think the writers know where they're going. You know, there might be some general direction, but they don't really necessarily always get it all.
Speaker 4: Planned out right.
Speaker 2: And I feel like for an actor like Mark, for any good actor, if the writers aren't able to tell you the story, like why is he behaving this way?
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: What is he.
Speaker 2: Digging out of the pool? Maybe the writers don't actually know yet. They just it's a cool scene to have him digging out of the pool, but like, maybe they haven't executed that thought yet. And as the actor, you have to make it up for yourself otherwise, even if it's wrong, you got to make up something otherwise it's not grounded in anything. So it's interesting to see these guys do their performances as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we also got a great guest star this week in Sharon moranch who plays the unlikable irritating Mazie Gibbons, but she plays her so well those as Yes, but she.
Speaker 4: Does yeah at all.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, So she and Lynette really butt horns this episode as Lynette is trying to get settled in the new school with the twins, and I thought this was a really interesting storyline. I'm excited to discuss it with you guys about the rewriting of Little Red Riding Hood. Yes, because it feels topical as this show we continue to discover, continues to feel so topical these days and relevant still that someone is suggesting an edit or a rewrite of a children's story to make it more palatable for the children.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that Yeah.
Speaker 5: I took note of this too, that this felt like a very early idea of what isically correct speaking, and I continue to fall, I mean, especially these days, on the side of we can't be censoring what books are taught in schools, what makes certain people uncomfortable. But it was interesting to see in two thousand and four a character like Lynnette bringing up a.
Speaker 2: Pushback, a push on somebody trying to nice, nice everything, Yeah, and pointing out.
Speaker 5: So well that it doesn't make any sense that the literal big bad Wolf is gonna not be big and bad because then what is little red riding hood working against? What is the adversity? What does the huntsman do? I mean, I think she dissects that really well. But it also made me laugh about just the politics of PTA in schools.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mom, did you ever deal with that?
Speaker 5: I mean, did the closest.
Speaker 2: I get to that, which is not really PTA, but it is an example of it's hilarious I think is that I used to have.
Speaker 4: These big Easter parties.
Speaker 2: I threw a lot of parties, but I still do.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: But the Easter parties were giant picnics. I think I'm not exaggerate to say that I hid over five hundred of those little plastic eggs that break in half and you put like candy or toys or whatever, and then and.
Speaker 4: The whole there would be like a petting zoo. I mean, it was a whole.
Speaker 5: I think we actually ended up with a cat.
Speaker 4: We did cat tracks.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Sometimes people, some of the moms would bring food to put up, almost in a potlux sort of way, And this one woman brought a cheesecake, and this cheesecake was truly one of the best cheesecakes.
Speaker 5: I've know which woman you're talking about. Amazing baker is.
Speaker 4: An amazing baker. It's true.
Speaker 2: And so I said to her, I go, you know, this is really the best cheesecake I've ever had. Do you think would you share the recipe with me? And she said no, I cannot, And I was like, oh, okay, okay, you know, just seeing all right. But then she tops it and this is what kind of reminds me of Mazie. Yeah, she goes, she goes, what and even if I did, you wouldn't be able to make it?
Speaker 3: Oh wow? One two Puna.
Speaker 2: I was not involved really in that kind of PTA issue, per se. I feel like that touches the same mothers of students and they're all like protecting their turf and their.
Speaker 3: That feels generational way too, because now we have a term all over the internet about this, which is gatekeeping, you know, and people just don't gatekeep or they don't consider gatekeeping a good thing.
Speaker 4: So she was gate gaping the cheesecake.
Speaker 3: Plus it was probably the cheesecake recipie on the back of Philadelphia or the cream face.
Speaker 5: So I don't know, she's a very good does it makes me. Think about the conversation that the women have when they get together to play cards, when they talk about how men and in fight, Yeah, like the different ways and this cheesecake comment, just like the PTA. And later when Lynnette does, you know, prevail on not changing little Red riding hood, but then get saddled with having to make all of these costumes and she kind of gets that snide look from the PTA queen mom who says, you know, oh, I'm sure you're not going to be able to pull off making all those costumes. You know, even if I gave you the recipe to the cheesecake, you wouldn't be able to make it, right. I think that is the difference between how men and women fight. Men will go punch someone in the face and then it's over, and women will repeatedly knife you with comments until your self esteem is entirely destroyed, and you think about it twenty years later.
Speaker 4: You think that's really true. I guess it really is. I don't want it to be true. I want you.
Speaker 2: Hear so much about women supporting women, and I sometimes they do, and I know in my life, I mean, we're three women, we're all supporting each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like you know.
Speaker 2: I I'm a champion of that, have so many women in my life, and but you do. Still it's a stereotype for a reason that there is this you know, actually it is. I heard some you know, some of the variety or like Hollywood Reporter, they have these like round tables of Emmy nominated actresses. I love those, I do too, and they I don't remember exactly who it was, but it was kind of in the last recent years, and so some set.
Speaker 4: Of really fabulous actresses.
Speaker 2: Again I'm not gonna remember exactly who it was, but one of them I do remember, talked about they must have been older, because they talked about how the way women are supportive of each other now is not the way it was like twenty or.
Speaker 4: Thirty years ago, and maybe it was.
Speaker 2: And I think they were making the point that the studio didn't foster like it was not in the studio's interests right for everybody to be supporting each other, for the women to be connecting and empowering each other, and obviously it's almost unionization in a way. It's you can see that somebody would not benefit from all the women.
Speaker 3: Camaraderie. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I saw a clip recently kind of piggybacking on that, which was I think it was a few years ago, and it was at I want to say, the Emmys, and it was when all of the nominees for Best Lead Actors in a Comedy all when as soon as their names were announced, just as being nominated, they walked right up on stage. It was Amy Puller, she walked right up, and then Melisa McCarthy and she walked right up, and then you know, eighty Falco walked right up, and they kept doing this and then they stood on stage together and then the winner was announced and they all hugged her. It was Melissa McCarthy that year, and they all just surrounded her and hugged her, and she looked very shocked, but it was so moving. I think I got to hear that. Yeah, And I don't know, I don't remember seeing that in real time, but anyway, I did think that this was also a very interesting theme in this episode, and I wonder as we go exploring the show more, the types of conflicts we will witness between the housewives and how they resolve their conflicts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think this is also a big turning point for Lynette's character, I feel like her children getting into which also where's the baby? But her two children getting into this new school. I feel like we start to see her identity shift to trying to We don't really see her feel competitive with the other women on the block. Maybe there's a comment, oh, she's not as perfect as bree Vandicamp, but then again, like who is? But I kind of see her start to get competitive with the other women she suddenly faced as moms in the school. I'm going, Okay, if I'm not a working mom anymore, if I'm a stay at home mom, how do I compete with these other parents who are you know, perform whatever it means to perform well as a stay at home mom. Yeah, and of course you know she it leads her to to drugs.
Speaker 3: Right right, because the question of how do how does one do it all? Is often the answer is there's they can't they can't write, and so there's usually something behind the scenes helping you. And in this in this episode, we will find out that one of the other moms is using her child's out all yes, her children's add medication, and Lynette sort of considers it and ultimately ends up succoming as she then has that line when she looks at herself in the mirror and her eyes are all dilated and Lynette says, oh, what big eyes you have?
Speaker 4: Who Yeah, tie.
Speaker 3: Us right back in the little red riding hood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of good lines. So then we have still we've got Gabby having her whole exposure of her affair getting more and more stressful. And there was a scene where she actually does even does the most perfect spit take.
Speaker 5: But I could.
Speaker 2: Have done a spit take while I was watching the show if I had been drinking something, because that's how brilliant it is. But she uh says that, I guess, I guess No. Bree says, both John and Danielle are in the Abstinence Club and you see Yavvy just do this fit take in front of her mother in law.
Speaker 5: This is at the poker game, which then.
Speaker 3: Yes, before yes, I wonder if Eva practiced. I feel like, there have you ever had to do a spit take, Terry, I have, I have.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I did it in this show, I have this whole series, right, but I definitely have in my career.
Speaker 3: I just think it's such a great gag. When someone nails it, and I would feel so much pressure to try to do it justice and I wonder if it was a good one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did also notice in this episode that John only calls Gabrielle mississles and I did, as we are continued to be fascinated by this dynamic playing out in front of us. I did note that, you know, it's it's so funny and cringey that he only ever calls her missus Elise and she never yeah, yeah, never said I think she's into it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think she must be.
Speaker 5: Yeah wait, speaking of being into it, but okay, moving into it. Before the women sit down to play poker, and then we have the other missus Sole swindle them all out of their money because she's such a card shark. We have Brie and Rex back in their therapist's office and Rex suggests, and I was like, wait, is this a Y two K thing I don't know about? And now we're just calling it something else in today's age? He suggests getting a sexual surrogate, and I is this is this helped me understand? Is this like a three?
Speaker 3: So I can't help you because I also wrote down what is a sexual surrogate.
Speaker 2: But I actually think that there may be medical intes procedures.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, I don't know, like.
Speaker 2: In a loving relationship, and we were not able to make that part of our relationship work. And I really love this person. I don't know that I would be opposed to having somebody teach me. I mean once, okay, when I was no, No, when I was twenty, I think I had like some girlfriend teach me how to give a blowjob on a beer bottle.
Speaker 3: A beer bottle.
Speaker 2: Wow, that makes sense, I guess, but it's so. And there was a lot of discussion about the rim and what you were supposed to focus on, and there was also some conversation about your hand and how it was supposed to sort of twist and not just go straight up and down.
Speaker 3: Okay, it was a very detailed and she was your sexual Surguy.
Speaker 2: What she's going, oh my god about it is the fact that I don't remember what happened yesterday, but somehow I remember this beer model. So I so I'm just saying I that was just between girlfriends, right, And.
Speaker 3: That's every man's fantasy, having that conversation with beer involved.
Speaker 5: It's of course, this is you.
Speaker 2: And the other thing I did was I showed you how to put a condom on a banana.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, we're straying far away, Okay from the sexual we're talking.
Speaker 4: About teaching about sexual things. Yeah, that far away, but.
Speaker 3: Similar a similar shape to ever come back a similar shape. You're like, I survived it the first time.
Speaker 5: I'm I don't need that lesson anymore.
Speaker 3: There was a phallic structure in this scene that is never addressed that Marcia as Brie is stroking at the beginning of this scene, and it's never talked about what it's this horn shaped thing that's on that they doctor Boldin's side table, and I would the scene. At the top of the scene, she is just you can imagine, I'm not gonna do it, but she is rubbing this little.
Speaker 4: I did not even very like that.
Speaker 2: It's kind of falls into Remember another episode we Andrew and I were talking about, did either of us remember why Julie reached up and moved the food off of Susan's mouth. We deduced that it was our personal edition remember from the script, to like have some sort of deeper sense of how we behave as characters. And I have a feeling that Marcia maybe added this as almost like a subconscious thing of like, I mean, it would be curious to ask her.
Speaker 5: And I do.
Speaker 3: And the fact that it's happening in a therapist's office is just really great. And I do think it's another example of how strong the show's tone comes through, where that type of overt bodiness or you know, something that couldn't work on a show where the writing wasn't balanced. You might just not you might just find that kind of pushing it over the top. But I felt like it really played into the whole thing very well and was funny and cheeky, and it made sense because the rest of that storyline is pretty raw between Bri and Rex and they.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the point you're making, is it really it's kind of serious and that you know. When this show first was nominated for any awards, which is not too much after probably this episode aired, I think was the time awards seasons were starting to come up. I think it was a surprise a little bit to people that it fell in the comedy category. It's totally it's an hour long. Usually comedies are not an hour long show. Usually that almost automatically makes you a drama, a drama, but it was clearly so funny.
Speaker 4: That it could.
Speaker 2: It was isn't gonna be able to stand against an out and out like cop show drama, you know, the hospital kind of thing, right and rightly so it ended up in the comedy section, but it's it's also not a sitcom, you know. And and writing that that very fine line, I think they did extremely well, at least in the beginning.
Speaker 3: I do want to because we're talking about the Breeze stuff, I do want to include that my personal favorite line in this episode was a bree line, and it is when she is sitting at the lunch that she ends up having my line, Oh my gosh, im sending I have the same favorite line. And she has this moment where she kind of pleads with her therapist who she sees out at lunch, to turn it into an impromptu session, and he reluctantly gives in and she sits with him, and she brings up the sex stuff that keeps coming up in therapy sessions with Rex, and she says, after being accused of maybe that she doesn't like sex or that she's closed off and cold, she says this long paragraph about all of the various things she loves about sex, which is just divine and so amazing, and then she says, to be honest, the only thing I don't like about sex is the scrotum. I mean, it obviously has its practical applications, but I'm just not a fan who is Okay.
Speaker 5: I did write down also as my favorite line. I know you said we were gonna have the same favorite line, and I said, no, no, no, we're not. Mine is so obscure, there's no way we're gonna have the same favorite line. Well, we're both your daughter, oh obviously.
Speaker 3: And we're not fans of the scrotum evidently.
Speaker 5: Well, definitely not for me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my husband af there. Okay. I think we've found out that the actor playing doctor Goldfine is the nephew of Christopher Lloyd, the actor Christopher. And now that I'm rewatching this, I think about that and I totally see it. And he's doing such a great job as well. And at the end of that scene, the server comes over and she had just delivered that monologue about sex, and he says another great moment, which is he says, can I get you anything? And he says, just the check and the server says, you haven't ordered yet.
Speaker 4: She's like, I'm so uncomfortable.
Speaker 3: I need to get out of here, just so good.
Speaker 5: Well, so then we have the poker go into the poker game, which Gabby uses is an amazing opportunity to say that she's having diarrhea so she can sneak out the window and climb over a fence to get to John the gardener. And I loved that poker was the activity that these women get together to play, like a reason they all come together. I mean, my mom and I were part of an all women's poker league, very casual, but I do think it's something that has maybe typically thought of as being more masculine, and I really like to see that that, you know, it wasn't all just book club, although we do see that.
Speaker 3: Is this the first episode where we see the women gathering for poker?
Speaker 5: I feel like we've seen them alas time okay, right in a flashback with.
Speaker 3: Mary in a flashback? Yeah yeah, yes, but this is the first time with money.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: And also like I kind of I'm loosely recalling like when this first came up and us as actual actresses, like who actually played poker and who didn't play poker, and I kind of feel like I maybe remember that Eva did. She's from Texas and Texas hold him and that makes sense, And I did because I grew up playing poker with the Hatcher plan, you know, since the time I could walk, and I think I think Felicity did too, So I feel like there was some familiarity to poker. But that was definitely Mark's call, like that was something he applied to the show, that poker was going to be a gathering point of these women, and it started in those first few episodes and it stayed for the entire run of the show.
Speaker 3: And I still have a Desperate Housewives poker table and personalized Desperate Housewives poker chips. I might have to bring them in sometime because it was a GI It was a.
Speaker 4: Wrap gift, yeah, from Mark for one season.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually feel like I.
Speaker 5: Vaguely remember seeing a case of those chips.
Speaker 4: Yep ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but pretty cool.
Speaker 4: But poker's a good tool.
Speaker 2: It's a good tool to sit around a circle and have characters have discussion. But also, you know, there's some bluffing and bedding to it, you know, and it's.
Speaker 3: Math, and yeah, I mean it's a. It's it kind of tickles all the things I grew up playing Texas hold as well, and I haven't played in a long time. I know I haven't played in a long time because I did get weirded out how serious people get and at least in the circles and that I was playing in. I was like, Oh, it's too intense for me. I'm gonna back, but maybe I should revisit as with my girlfriends. Maybe, Well it.
Speaker 5: Is, I mean, it is about who's bluffing, who's covering something up, Who can you trust speaking up, speaking.
Speaker 3: Bluffing and covering up, and who can you trust? Okay, So Susan comes up with an idea to sneak I follow borrow Ida Greenberg's car.
Speaker 5: Which is I made a note about driving a stick which you do know how to? Do you have a TR three?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 2: I have a nineteen sixty TR three that is a stick shift. But I also grew up my first car. It wasn't even my car, it was my family's car.
Speaker 4: This is so sad.
Speaker 2: It was an orange Chevy Vega with a black stripe down the side that was a stick shift with no air conditioning and an eight track tape, man, am.
Speaker 5: I old, anything's very cool?
Speaker 2: Well, hi, And I learned to drive that, and I drove that car in San Francisco on streets like Lombard Street and you know, like up, straight up, straight down. So I do have that in my bag of tricks. And I ever rolled down.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing that Princess Diary scene when she can't get up the hill and she rolls down and she's crying.
Speaker 2: Oh I never that never happened to me, but it. But driving on those hills in San Francisco is quite a lot. The scariest part is when you kind of get to the top and you're like out of red light and you can't really see over you know, like yeah it's that kind of hill, and you're.
Speaker 3: Like you're gonna fall off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: It's uh anyways, So that's a good bag of trick as a bag to I mean trick to having your bag of tricks as an actor to be able to drive a stick And I was able to drive it, which means I was even able to not drive it, you know, like I know, when you know how something works, yes, you can make.
Speaker 3: It not work right, which Susan had to do.
Speaker 4: Which Susan had to do. So that was that was fun.
Speaker 3: So off you go, and you find out that Zach is being not with obscure relatives, as Paul had said, but actually is being held at some sort of mental facility for juvenile troubled youth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and not just off you go. Off you go with your daughter, who you send in to the rehabilitation.
Speaker 3: Just a brief aside about this. So I do remember two things very vividly, and then I not observed one more thing by watching. So the two things I remember is I remember the line where Susan says, when Julie questions, how can I blend in with these messed up kids?
Speaker 4: Ouch?
Speaker 3: But also Susan says, I don't know, Julie, pretend to be Bellie mcgag a little. And I kind of remember you flagging that or pushing back a little bit on that, or at least feeling like, how should Susan say that? You know, is it a throwaway thing? Or I don't remember all you have, but I think we had a chat about it because I think it was so good.
Speaker 2: So I didn't remember that, But now that you're saying that, it makes sense, because it makes sense.
Speaker 4: What flagged for me was wow, like that I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, I mean talk about the political correct thing and what you would and wouldn't say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this did not hold up the test of time in terms of how you would refer to adolescence in a mental health It's.
Speaker 2: It's just super I mean, it's extremely callous, I guess, just to as almost like a joke, say oh, I don't know, you know, do that. And so I imagine, as I was a mom of a seven year old at the time, I imagine that that maybe came up for me. But then you're doing a comedy and sometimes it's the right thing within there. But yeah, it sounds like we all sort of flagged it.
Speaker 5: I mean I wasn't you know, I didn't turn it off. It wasn't horrible, but I didn't even kind of chuckle at it. But I also went, you know, I wouldn't. I don't think I would choose to write that line in this scenario to day.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The other thing I remembered was the scene that Julie has with Zach where she finds him and he's so zoned out because they have him up on all of these drugs. We don't know what they are, but he's medicated. And I remember filming that scene really well because it was the first scene that I had on the show that wasn't with Terry, that wasn't with Susan, And I think I was nervous, you know, because I had gotten so comfortable working with you and I we were enjoying that so much, and then it felt, I mean, it was exciting and nerve wracking to experience what it would be like to work with one of the other actors on the show. So I remember that. And then the last thing that I noticed about this whole little sequence that I happened to notice rewatching it, was why is Julie wearing flip flops on this jaunt to this center?
Speaker 2: Be guys, the Word of Department didn't have any clothes. So I used my own purse and my own necklaces and my own whatever.
Speaker 3: And I'm rock and flip flops sound Doug shout out to our to ourselves.
Speaker 2: And actually though I mean, and I'm not even I'm not even dogging the War Department.
Speaker 4: It's it's it's it really was.
Speaker 2: The show was a gigantic thing, yes, with a lot of character. There are so many moving parts. It's so many moving parts. And I do recall that it was kind of always at some level of last minuteness. And I don't know if that was because of when we got the scripts or you know, whatever, but it was it was always like, you know, hanging on You're just you're just hanging on you You're gonna get it, you know. It wasn't like you had luxurious amounts of time to make everything work. And think about it, and I would not be surprised if there were just no other shoes and there were just flip flops and they didn't And if you had said, do you have tennis shoes in the size nine, you would have been and they would have been. No.
Speaker 3: I would have been that woman at the yard sale at my yard sail asking for another size being shot down. So in this scene where Julie is questioning Zach, she has short on time. She's fearing like she's gonna get kicked out.
Speaker 5: But we do do a good job. You get racial information.
Speaker 3: Julie goes right in. She gets the nugget of information we need, which is that she asks him, you'd told Brie this thing about doing something bad. What were you talking about and he says that he has started remembering things since after his mom has passed, and one of those things is that he remembers someone named Dana. And that's this thing. This new part of our mystery involving Zach and Paul and the Young family is that we now have who is Dana to add into that mix.
Speaker 5: And the tension is really continuing to escalate on all fronts in the middle of this episode. So we have the investigation into Paul, we get the Dana name, and then we have Gabrielle learns that Juanita has a gambling problem and drops her off under the guise of going to a buffet at a casino, drops her off there where she starts to lose all of her money, which is going to come back at the end of the episode. And then we have Brie showing up to really confront Rex on the struggles in their marriage. And this is the scene that you would referenced earlier Mom where she shows up in that fabulous, fabulous code that honestly has no business being at a motel. She looks way too nice to be at some corner motel. And I loved this scene and I also really loved her final scene in this episode because I think both of them were really building blocks on I know we're calling it desperation, but I also think it's really brave.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say bravery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really brave to be So just tie her whole story together, because I really do think she puts herself.
Speaker 5: Out there in such a vulnerable.
Speaker 2: Way, in such a vuln I mean, can you imagine like standing in front of the person you love, all basically.
Speaker 5: Naked, who's saying they want to leave you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and almost more vulnerable than being naked, because when you wear lingerie, you're trying to say something, saying.
Speaker 5: That you tried you, yeah, try to be sexy.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, And then so not seen and so critically judged for this quirk that she has this control quirk, you could call it, right, I mean.
Speaker 3: The way she's zeros in on that it's so fixated and can't.
Speaker 2: She just can't let it go, and and it wins and then.
Speaker 5: And he has no empathy. I was like, oh my god, you've never been about to have sex with someone and you notice something or your phone rings and it breaks the mood for a moment. But then you silence it, and then and then you get.
Speaker 3: Showing up because he's voicing the things he's dissatisfied with, and she is putting herself out there to try to bring them closer together. And this is something that he could recognize in her as something he just has to accept or offer understanding or curiosity about, and instead he just shuts it down.
Speaker 2: And this is why I think like that there's some level of this is why you have to you look deeper, like there's some level of insecurity. Like okay, so let's say her thing with the burrito made him lose his erection. I mean we don't that that doesn't get talked about, but like let's just assume like that is what happened. Maybe you know, there's some insecurity going on with this character that we're not aware of yet, that that instead of admitting his own frailty, like you ruin the mood and now I don't have the power to get back in the mood, he just blames her and this is the thing, instead of taking any part of responsible.
Speaker 3: And it's so interesting that you have a quote unquote very buttoned up character as Breed, and people make these assumptions. In this episode, people being Rex and doctor goldfind about how she might be in the bedroom, and she is not that way. That's not where she's buttoned up. That's where she evidently let's lose.
Speaker 5: She used to drink out of the milk curtain, maybe her.
Speaker 3: Wild side, and she is very progressive SIV in her approach. And she confronts Rex back at their house and say, you know, while she's repairing that mug, that was a very poetic way.
Speaker 4: Of saying I love that line.
Speaker 2: I would rather repair something I have than get something new.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it was so powerful, beautiful, And then she confronts him and says, I've been thinking about it that I'm not the problem here.
Speaker 5: It's you.
Speaker 3: I'm willing, I'm here, I'm curious, I'm asking, and you're shutting down why And he's still he still won't go there with her.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's almost waiting for her to have a moment like the burrito moment, so then he doesn't have to engage with her and he has something to blame it on other than saying, I mean, we don't know yet with the underlying I don't know because I haven't watched the show, but what his underlying reason is that he has such a hard time connecting with her. And I do think this idea of it's better to fix what you already have is really interesting. I'm curious what you like, Is it better or I mean, obviously there's different When is it better maybe to fix what you already have or when do you decide to throw in the towel on something, I mean, whether that's a relationship.
Speaker 2: It is a really good question. I mean, it's it's interesting that you you know, I mean that you would ask us that question as it reflects in our personal life. Because I was just also going to say about the character storyline. Yeah, that again, this is an incredibly deep, complicated, relatable issue between couples that is happening all the time. Yeah, and here it is thrown in this sort of iconic comedy that some people might reflect back on and think, oh, that was a silly good show or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this is a this is meaningful. Again.
Speaker 2: I guess I'm just going to say, like Mark Cherry, you know, and your writing staff, like this was really amazing writing for television. Yeah, And I think television, obviously, in twenty years, continues to evolve, and there's amazing shows left and right that have examples of great writing. But it doesn't make this any less, ye, And I guess, you know, reflecting back, I mean, you know, I've been divorced from your dad for over twenty twenty five years.
Speaker 4: I guess we're at.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think in regards to your dad, like I've said this before, everything worked out the way it should. Like I'm so happy that he's happy and in his relationship and they're exactly what each other need. And there's you know, you can't go back. But your dad's a great person. And I wish that we both had had the tools to maybe repair it.
Speaker 4: But we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean neither of us. You know, we didn't. We collectively didn't, and so and so. But I'm not saying I would rather it. I just it is interesting in hindsight. So I think what I'm saying of all of this says I might lean a little more into at.
Speaker 4: Least try to repair what you have before you get rid of it.
Speaker 2: But I'm not necessarily applying that to like my own life, because it is what it is. And you know, but I guess if I had to pick one I would say, lean the into that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I think that something that I found myself feeling watching this episode and watching Brie and Rex was man, it really feels like all of the effort is coming from Bri.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I mean I am ready to see.
Speaker 3: Something from him, and if he's just done, then I guess he's just done. But it does feel like while they're still exploring and they're still in marriage counseling, I would like I would like some more from him. I'd like him to show us more.
Speaker 5: I agree, And I think maybe that is a time and freeze in the process of finding that of when you decide, okay, it's not worth repairing this, because it does take two people to repair something, whether that's a romantic relationship or friendship or working dynamic. You know, I think you both have to be showing up with that goal, and it's worth showing up with that goal, I think always. And then you also have to be able to acknowledge when somebody's just someone's not and.
Speaker 3: Maybe the repairing is not the relationship, but maybe the repairing is the relationship with herself.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh so wise.
Speaker 3: You know, maybe that's where that comes in.
Speaker 4: Say that again, I like that.
Speaker 3: Maybe instead of the repairing being our marriage is fixed and we're going to stay together, the repair is I'm going to heal myself and recognize the parts of myself that I thought were broken, and I'm going to work on those instead of, you know, try to get rid of them.
Speaker 4: I like that. I love that for her.
Speaker 3: I like that too well.
Speaker 5: I think working on the parts of ourselves on the complete opposite end of the spectrum we have. Lynette asks, while trying to figure out why she is unable to sew these costumes and feels deficient, she asks her other mom in the group, not her.
Speaker 2: Advocary executing everything perfectly well.
Speaker 5: She goes, what's your secret? And it turns out she does have a secret, and the secret is adderall and and Lynette cracks and she takes it and starts down a slippery slope. And this made me. I mean, I love the storyline because I do think it is so relatable. And I'm not advocating for people taking ADHD medication that they don't need just to get things done. We should not put so many expectations on ourselves that we need to resort to that. But I do think as women, often we do end up in positions where we're stretching ourselves really thin. And Mom, I just wondered if you had anything that you wanted to say about this.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you're right.
Speaker 2: We do find ourselves and positions where we stretch ourselves really thin. Are you asking me if I ever took out or although I never did, No, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, or as being a high achiever, maybe if you felt yeah, I think it's interesting. You know what's funny is that I am relating to the show, as I've said, in a whole new way that it's almost as though I feel like I am watching it for the very first time and being pregnant and watching it, I'm I'm really locked in on the on the relationships that are shown, or the exploration of mothering and motherhood right because I'm just I'm soti in that chapter of my life or starting that chapter of my life. And so the idea of trying to do it all, have it all, be the best, this, be the best that, be the best wife, be the best mother, be the best in business, be the best everywhere, right is landing with me in a way that it didn't when I was on the show, and so I was actually thinking about this unpacking it a little bit after I watched the episode, and how does this show up in my life as someone who identifies as a perfectionist, And yeah, I know, I think we all suffered from that. Yeah, And so I was thinking though that even in pregnancy, even in pregnancy, the idea of mom guilt kind of creeps in the idea of wanting to be the best. You know, anything you find out about how your pregnancy is going that you've decided is not right, it feels like a failure on your end, even though I should know it isn't right, but it feels it can land that way. Or I had mentioned I think to you guys recently that I'm suffering pill fatigue because I'm taking prenatals and I'm taking oh my go threes and I'm taking X y Z to make sure that everything's going all these vitamins, yes, all these vitamins and not ADHD medications, and that some days it's just so much and by the end of the day you're like, oh my god, I don't want to take one more pill. But the driver in my head, instead of it being it's okay, you've done great, You're nourishing your baby. The way you're carrying your baby is enough. It's a going to let her down if you don't find a way to stomach one more pay right, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: So these are the stories we tell ourselves, you know, and getting a hold. I mean, I feel like I've worked my whole life. I mean I'm still I feel like I work on it every day. Like the awareness, the conscious choice that you can make about the stories you tell yourself about yourself and the difference between the what you have and what you have done and focusing on that instead of the what you haven't and what isn't enough and what you didn't do, which is what we mostly do. And that really comes from DNA, you know, it really does like we're not wired to sort of focus on the good.
Speaker 4: We're really focused to.
Speaker 2: We're wired to focus on the bad because that's how we have survived with you know, we don't repeat those things or whatever what we're afraid of and all that.
Speaker 4: We keep that, but it has to be conscious, you really have to.
Speaker 2: Think about it. And and the way put it too, like that we are the ones that set up the expectation. You know, you are the one that says me, I'm gonna take me. For example, I'm the one that says I should be able to go to my friend's wedding in New York, and then I should be able to come home to the hotel at one o'clock and I should be able to wake up at three and go to the airport and fly to Los Angeles and then get off the plane and get my makeup done and then come here and do a couple of episodes of that and then go home. And then actually I have two auditions that I'm self taping tonight, and then I have to wash the dog because we're going to Children's hospital tomorrow to visitations. And I should be able to do all that. That is my day, and I'm probably not gonna do I'm you know.
Speaker 5: Are you sure you'd well.
Speaker 2: I'm surely not. I'm not taking the adderall to get it all done.
Speaker 4: But maybe I should be.
Speaker 2: But that is a very high bar of expectations. And my point is I've done that to myself.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 2: I could have called the hospital and said, you know what, we love coming to Children's Hospital. I've had other extra stuff come up today. I just can't make it, But I feel guilty about the kids, right, I feel guilty about the patients that they're suffering way more than I'm suffering. So I should just get my shit together and get the dog washed and get over there, right, you know, I feel like I want to execute these auditions because it's important to me to get another acting job. And that's how the business works. Now as you do these horrible self tapes in your own house and you know, but it's hard for me to do. It's not my wheelhouse, I you know, but I'm good and so anyways, it's an example of every day we set up the list of expectations and then we fall short of them, and then we punish ourselves for it.
Speaker 3: Well, I hope that this conversation, maybe being so fresh in your mind, will offer you the chance to be to give yourself some grace.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing. I think one trick is sometimes you really can't change the list of expectations, but you can change the way you treat.
Speaker 4: The voice that you treat yourself with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, and I do know at the end of the stay, when I do get the auditions done and I do get the dog washed, and I'm totally exhausted. I do have control of going I did my best. Yes, like maybe I won't get the jobs, you know whatever, but I'll know that like I showed up and I did my best and that will be enough. Yeah, there won't be any extra punishing. And that's maybe different than twenty years ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah that I'm like, I'm just thinking about the women in the show and how I don't feel like anybody is saying that they've done their best at the end of this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: That's a good point that they're all really critical of themselves.
Speaker 5: I mean maybe Gabby feels momentarily like she's done her best, but then we see that that's going to come back to bite her because Carlos, well.
Speaker 2: Let's like wrap that up for the listeners of like how that So she picks her up. She realizes that she's she's lost all this money and she kind.
Speaker 3: Of said somewhere upwards of fifteen thousand dollars, Yeah, Carlos's money.
Speaker 2: In an hour, and Gabrielle uses that to get the mother in law to.
Speaker 5: Not say anything about her to Carlos. But then Carlos says when Gabby is not there to his mom. You know, I'm so glad you guys are getting along. Gabby was really worried about you. I ended up telling her that you had a gambling addiction. And Whennita realizes she set her up, she sent her there on purpose, and now she is suspicious that she and I think she even noticed it. She notices John at the end, and she notices how Gabby doesn't talk to John at all.
Speaker 3: Right, they have that little lags, that little moment as she's walking back from her mailbox.
Speaker 5: And it's the idea that the person that you're actively ignoring is the person that she's having something right, So we get that storyline wrapping up in that way. We obviously we covered Rex and Brie. Brie is so beautiful and fearless and vulnerable and Rex just gives her nothing, nothing, And Lynette does make all of the costumes.
Speaker 3: And in the show too, I know, I know.
Speaker 4: So that's a really big episode.
Speaker 2: And I brought bean burritos so in episode six, and the scene in the hotel room with Rex and Brie. The reason I have brought you three different bean and cheese burritos should be obvious if you.
Speaker 4: Saw that scene.
Speaker 2: I thought it was hilarious that Brie could just not enjoy sex while she saw the hot cheese slowly about to drip on the carpet. It was a epic moment, that scene. But anyway, let me tell you what we have here. So I felt like, you know, I make a good burrito, but I felt like it might be more fun to search Los Angeles for their best burritos. So I looked up what were the best bean and cheese burritos in our city? And so I won't tell you which one is which, Okay, but one of these is from Sorna Rita's in downtown LA. One of these is from Burrito Express in Pasadena, and one of these is from Casitas Taco Al Carbone in Burbank.
Speaker 5: Did you drive to all of these locations to pick up the burritos?
Speaker 4: It is none of your business.
Speaker 3: Look, we don't have to just delivered right here.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I will tell you which one is which, but I know, so I thought we could take a bite of each of them and then see.
Speaker 5: Wait, I'm so excited. I also I love just starting.
Speaker 3: Okay, I want to I want to bite.
Speaker 5: I'm starting with that one too.
Speaker 2: Okay, great, this is the one with the really soft beans like they're they're really refried.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm wow, which I have to say, in my opinion, a bean and cheese burrito, I'm expecting soft refried bean.
Speaker 3: Yes, you want kind of one texture. It's the one food where I feel like you kind of do want one texture soft.
Speaker 2: And then this is a different one has more of like the whole the whole pento bean. Okay, I'm not really seeing the cheese these are supposed to be.
Speaker 5: I'm sure it's in there.
Speaker 3: No, I see some white cheese. Yeah, but the beans are definitely a little bit more. It's going to be aggressive own individual identity.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, while we're chewing.
Speaker 2: While you guys are chewing, I'll say just I mean, how can you not say, First of all, I mean so many things, Bree is so brave in this moment, and you know what, you really wouldn't necessarily expect it of the Breed character to kind of put her ego aside, and even later in the scenes where they kind of they come back to the house and she sort of calls them out on you know, I don't think it's me, I think it's you. But but she shows up in such a brave way, and it made me want to buy a mink coat and have a person that I would go wear nothing but brawn underwear and then just drop the mink coat with like that seemed so fun and Marcia. Okay, So twenty thirty years ago, when I was doing Lewis and Clark, I got an opportunity to do the cover of a magazine called Movie Line, which I don't think exists anymore, but it was one of they We did this big photo shoot and then they had this idea to kind of do this racy cover and I did this shot of me like up against a pole, like a like a lamp post or a big wood you know, big wood lamp post, and I was tied. I was totally naked, but tied with like fishing rope, you know, like the really thick the kind of rope you climb up at a CrossFit gym, And it was tied around my breasts and around my crotch and sort of you know in a way but where you couldn't see like the private parts, but you could see everything. And I remember at the time thinking this is really risque. Some people are gonna like this some people are gonna hate this, but I'm going to be really glad I have this photo when I'm eighty years old, And can I just say I am, I really am, And and take that to heart. You young people listening, because you know, make those moments, because you know you will get to a point where you'll look back and you go, well, I'm not going to be that ever again. Really, even if I was a person who was getting plastic surgery, which I'm not, but if I was, no judgment by the way, you know, you still can't make that. You can't you can't make that yourself look like that. It's only something that youth offers. Anyway, Marcia in this scene looks it looks unbelievable, like just flawless unbelievable.
Speaker 4: I love the scene so much. Okay, what are we thinking of the Britos?
Speaker 3: Well, I just I mean, have you tried the third one?
Speaker 5: I haven't tried the third one. For the third one now, I'm kind of only want to do bean and she's burritos every every episode because it's it's all I want. My girlfriend would love that too, is her favorite snack.
Speaker 3: I went through a I went through a phase during Desperate Housewives, probably season one because I grew so much where I think for three weeks straight I craved a bean and chese burrito every day and my mom made them for me every day.
Speaker 5: So she made them because I was gonna say where did you get your bean?
Speaker 3: And she made them and they were great. Okay, do we have a favorite?
Speaker 5: I think my favorite is the first one.
Speaker 3: I think my favorite is the first one.
Speaker 5: Oh my god, it's almost like we're related through TV.
Speaker 2: Our favorite is Soa Sona Rito's s O n O R. I t a s Sona Rito's and it looks like there's one on Sartel and one in downtown l A. And of the three, I will say this was voted the highest.
Speaker 5: Ah out of the twel amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we picked the one that the the wherever this article was from.
Speaker 5: I will say, I think this burrito from Sona Rita's is worth getting a cheese stain in your clothes.
Speaker 4: Or on the rug or on the rug.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I prea is that amazing line where she goes, well, you've clearly never tried to get out a cheese stain. That's right, that's right. And I feel like we're just getting drawn more and more into the juicy mystery of this season.
Speaker 2: And I love that you use the word juicy because of the bean and cheese burritos to talk.
Speaker 5: About juicy, a juicy burrito, just like the juicy juicy last shot of the Dana's baby blanket unnoticed for now in the back of Susan's garage. And I really, I mean, I personally can't wait to see what happens next.
Speaker 2: It's hard not to binge this. Oh my god, I'm really it is really hard for me to not binge this. I cannot wait to watch episode seven. But just so you're listening at home, we're trying not to binge it because we want to come back and record, you know, each episode as a podcast and other. If I was following my true nature, i'd be done with this season already. Yeah, but it's actually a really good exercise that we used to watch television this way.
Speaker 4: Yep. You used to have to wait for the next week.
Speaker 2: And there is something gratifying about waiting and not just shoving it all into your brain in six hours until three.
Speaker 4: In the morning.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is something nice about letting it settle in week after week. So I don't know if if you're listening, if you're following along with us with that same rate of viewership, but we're having fun. And by the way, we've got our Instagram account desperately devoted podcast, and so we hope that you'll follow that if you're not already following that, and leave us some messages because we want we want to know what you're thinking and answer your questions, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, join our conversations, join our discus.
Speaker 2: And you'll be the first one to see any you know, news clips that we drop if you're following that, So make sure you follow and we'll see you next week.
Speaker 5: M