Speaker 1: Pushkin. Hey, this is Justin Richmond from the Broken Record podcast. Join me this June for a live taping of Broken Record at the Tribeca Festival. We're all bee in conversation with Infinity Song, a New York based soft rock band comprised of four siblings who will also be doing a couple of songs for us. You'll hear the artist and a career spanning conversation about their inspirations and dynamic styles. We'll be at the SVA Theater on June twelve at eight thirty pm. Defund tickets. Visit tribecafilm dot com slash Broken Record all lowercase. That's tribecafilm dot com slash Broken Record. Hope to see there. For close to three decades, Benkqueler's been crafting deeply personal indie rock that's both intimate and expansive, from his early days fronting the band Radish as a teenager in the nineties to his acclaimed solo career that began in the early two thousands, He's consistently delivered songs that feel raw, honest, and almost conversational. But his latest album, Covered the Mirrors finds Ben in a different place entirely. This isn't just another collection of songs. It's an unflinching examination of grief, healing, and the complicated process of moving forward after unimaginable loss. In today's episode, we'll talk with Ben about the loss of his teenage son Dorian, how Ben and his family embraced grief and managed to not retreat from their lives and work, and what it means to return to making and releasing music. We'll also talk about Ben's journey through the music industry, from bidding wars with his first band that led to him performing for idols like Tom Petty at a private party in Malibu, to going independent and moving to his ranch in Texas. This is broken record, real musicians, real conversations. This episode is brought to you by Defender, a vehicle engineered to meet challenges head on so you can explore with confidence. Adventure Seekers and takers can explore the full Defender lineup at land ROVERUSA dot com. Here's my conversation with Ben Queler from his ranch outside of Austin. It's like amazing to be you have a beautiful spot.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: It's like it's in a beautiful part of the country. Yeah, it's beautiful. This bactual physical space we're in.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Yeah. This barn was actually moved here from Fourth and Lavaca in downtown Austin. It was part of the Missouri Pacific Railroad station in the eighteen eighties and it was moved here in the nineteen eighties as just a horse barn. But it was like four of these long classic Texas hill country story. It was like, you know, four of these long and there were four brothers and each brother got a quarter of the barn. You know. It's like it's like that kind of thing. I don't know where the other sections are, like if they are still around or what, but.
Speaker 1: Be interesting to track down if it's possible.
Speaker 2: Exactly you know it was here on this property is just a horse barn. This front wall over here was just wide open to the elements. And so when we moved to this property, we just used it just as you know, bicycles and punching bags and kids would our boys would skateboard in here, and so it was just like a just a gnarly garage space. And then last year we decided to renovate it and really turn it into a studio. So we put a front wall on it.
Speaker 1: This is only a year's worth of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took about a year. Yeah, And a lot of this wood is old wood, and you know, you can see the old and the new kind of feathered in together. And then these huge columns, the blue columns. There's six of those, so that's like the original structure.
Speaker 1: I like the old and the new mixtent though, and I also like that, you know, it's all just everything's in flux, you know.
Speaker 2: And I just love thinking about, like all the energy of the people that have come and gone through this building on a train.
Speaker 1: It's very fun to imagine that stuff. You know, you can just sit and think about it forever. I'll never crack it, but now just can only all you can do is imagine.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Do you know why this was moved here in eighty one?
Speaker 2: Well, so the ranch originally was the hurl Butt Ranch. There's a really famous Central Texas family, the hurl Butts. So this was originally like thousands of acres back in the day. And in fact, the first Willie Nelson's picnic was out here about a mile down the road, but on the hurl Butt ranch.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: Because they were friends the hurl Butts and Willie and so there's a lot of history on this land. When we found this property was twenty fifteen and it just sat on the market for a year and no one really wanted it. We were in the middle of a drought, and we always kind of had that My wife and I had that dream search of like okay, we want like some acreage, an old house, and some water, natural water. And this came up and we kind of watched it, and but it was really far away from Austin. We were living downtown Austin at the time. And we came and looked looked at the property and it was so cool, like but it was one of those things where every structure on the property was worse than the next and so like it was just like it needed so much work. Windows were busted in the main house. There were deer living inside like animals. Like it was gnarly. It was like a ghost house, but you could tell it was really cool, you know, like if you just put some love into it. Bones it had good bones, exactly, And so we went for it. And we originally didn't think we would live here. We just knew we wanted to have a creative space, you know, recording music, making art, a little retreat type vibe. And the more we came out here and the more we realized that, well, we don't really have a nine to five job, you know, we can kind of be anywhere. We were like, let's just move full time. So in twenty eighteen we moved to the main house, which I'll walk you over there in a little while, and we just loved it. We loved being out in the country. We're about forty five minutes west of Austin, and yeah, I just I can't imagine not living where I do. And I think also just you know, being a touring artist, you know, I'm always in cities, just like all the time, and so it really is fun to land at the airport and in an hour, I'm back here with the trees and the sky and the birds and now the studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your whole life is kind of an odd mix of urban in country totally. Oh yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I'm a little bit of this, a little bit of that, you know. That's always and you know, my mom always said it was because I'm a Gemini, because she's all into that stuff astrology and geminized the twins, and so we were really good at seeing both sides of every coin. And my wife Liz a libro, which is the balance. So we actually work really well together, and you know, we hardly fight because we kind of just like see each other's point of view really easily, which is nice. But I just remember that I didn't really answer your question. So why was this bar moved here? So it was the hurl Butt ranch and it was just land. And in nineteen eighty one, this local legend, Bobby Stevens, bought this parcel of land, which is thirty acres because the hurl Butt family eventually, like you know, divvied it up and who knows what happened, you know, thousands of acres became just little plots. So Bobby Stevens bought this ranch thirty acres and he was driving in Austin and saw wrecking ball about to knock over this Victorian house. So he jumped out of his pickup truck nineteen eighty one, was like, yo, what are you guys doing with that wrecking ball? And they said, oh, well the bank, the bank needs it gone by six pm, you know, and and Bobby was like, well, can I have it? Like it's a house, you know. He's like, can I have it? And they were like, well, if you give us, you know, a thousand bucks, sure, and so he was like, all right, I'll be right back. And so he gave him a thousand bucks, chain saw down the center of the house, put it on two flatbed trailers and moved it out here. So the house was moved here from West sixth Street in Austin.
Speaker 1: And on did he do that all in the four to six pms?
Speaker 2: Like pretty much? He at least got it off the property. Yeah, Like this guy Bobby can do anything, Like he is just the epitome of like can fix anything and just has that drive and determination, you know. So he moved the house here and he lived here for a long time. And then shortly after they found this barn you know, from the railroad station and moved it here. And then there's a little house on the other end of the property, which we call the Happy House, which is where the band stays when we're rehearsing or if I'm producing an album, the artist has lodging and that was moved here from Austin, which is actually even crazier because it's from the Zilker neighborhood like a block away from where my family lived in Austin. So when we saw this property, we're just like, what, like that place is from Zilker And there were just so many little signs you know that's just pointed to this being home for us.
Speaker 1: That's great. Are you a person that's always looked for signs and things to know what.
Speaker 2: The ve always I've always been aware of them and felt energies from things that happen and numbers and patterns, and I mean, gosh, I guess actually going back now that I think about it, to the way I started writing songs when I was about eight, just like every other American kid, I learned heart and soul. Someone showed me how to play it dunda dun da dun da dun da dud d dante and that just repeats. And so I noticed, like, okay, well it's in the key of C, which I didn't know at the time, but I'm just seeing the white keys and you play this chord, you skip one, go down, play the next one, skip one, go down, play the next one, and go up one. And so I'm like, okay, I see that pattern. And I said, well, what if you don't play the second chord, you go from the first chord to the third chord and then up to the second chord and then the fourth chord. And that sounded like let it be because I was a big Beatles fan because my dad, that's all he played was the Beadles and Hendrix and the Hollies, like a lot of British invasion rock and roll. That's what I grew up on. And so I'm like, wow, so let it be is heart and soul, kind of inside out. So then I was like, all right, dude, well skip the second and third chord. Let's go from the first chord to the fourth chord, then the second chord, then the third chord. And that sounded like a progression I'd never heard before. Meanwhile, there's thousands of songs with that progression, you know. But at eight years old, I was like, wow, this is incredible. And so I wrote my first song, and I would just sing about girls in love because that's what the Beatles sing about. So I'm like, you write love songs. I guess that's what you do. You know, That's all I knew. And so that's how it started. And so you know, I'm very visually inclined. But yeah, signs are you know, I've always sort of felt them and seen a little deeper, I guess than what's there. I'm really curious person. I like to know how things work. I like to kind of peek behind the curtain and really know about life and what the hell is all this? You know. I mean, it's not a very novel thing to say, but that's just kind of who I am.
Speaker 1: That's still essential to who you are.
Speaker 2: And then like from a spiritual level, like I've always just sort of been fascinated about like what's beyond, you know, what is out around us that I don't see?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know you were raised Jewish, right, Yeah, you were born in.
Speaker 2: San Francisco, born in San fran.
Speaker 1: And then reared in Texas.
Speaker 2: Reared in Texas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I didn't really know you were born in San fran But once I learned that, there was a lot about you that makes a little more sense, okay, in the way that like that, like well even just your dad raising listening to British Invasion music primarily, and you can hear a lot of that in totally what you do for sure, And so would seem to me being raised in the Jewish faith in San Francisco at easier than out here in Texas.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean we were the only Jewish family in Greenville, which is a small town that we moved to, and so yeah, I definitely, like, you know, remember hanging out with kids who were like, you're going to go to Hell? And I'm like, really, like what's hell all about? Like, you know, because we didn't really you don't really talk much about Hell in Judaism. But yeah, we left San francisc go when I was six months old. My dad's a doctor. He did his residency in San fran and I was born there and he was part of the Rural Health Service, which back in the late seventies early eighties, the government would help pay for medical school as long as you served in a rural community after medical school. So he did his residency in San Fran and he would get all these offers like, hey, there's a town in Ohio or Pennsylvania, are you interested in that? And then one came along it's like there's a town in Texas that's never had a doctor. And my dad was like that sounds cool, like you know, the wild West or something, and so they came to Texas. I was six months old, so he was doc like. He was just like everyone's doctor, pediatrics, geriatrics, calm and cold, like even like minor surgeries.
Speaker 1: If need be, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they would for deliveries. They would at least go to the hospital, which is like forty five minutes away. But you know, he did a lot, like he's a beast my dad. As a kid, I remember just like feeling cool, like to be able to say, well, I was born in California, Like there was just something cool about California.
Speaker 1: You know, do you remember the feeling when you came here?
Speaker 2: Well, no, I was six months old. Oh never mind, I remember no feeling.
Speaker 1: Never mind. Yeah, that'd be a small miracle, ya, No.
Speaker 2: I mean the first memory of San Francisco really was probably playing a gig there for the first time with my band Radish. You know, like in the nineties, I had this s grunge band. I was in high school. I was fifteen, and yeah, we went on tour.
Speaker 1: What was the origin of Radish, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the origin of Radish kind of goes back to me sitting at the piano and writing songs. Okay. So I always say the Beatles made me write songs and Nirvana made me start a band, and so I'll never forget. I was actually at the skating rink in Greenville, Texas, and smells like teen Spirit came on, and I remember exactly like where I was, like making this turn at one end of the skating the roller rink and I literally had to pull over and like hold onto the sidewalks. I'm like, what the fuck is this? Like this is the coolest music I've ever heard, And so I skated around a lap back to the DJ booth and I was like, what is this? And he pulled up the CD with the little baby on and the dollar bill. I was like, dude, this is band Ravana. It's really cool. I was like yeah, And so, like I went to the record store the next day and got that CD, and I was like, all right, well I need to start a band like this, you know, game over and I figured that all you need to have is three people. You know, bass, drums and guitar is the bare necessities. It's like, you know, every stool, every chair like needs a minimum of three legs. It's like, well, okay, rock band, it's kind of the same thing, and so I started, you know, in my town, there weren't a lot of musicians, but eventually I met a drummer and bass player who were great, and we had different band names, but eventually it became radish and so I got to kind of back up a little bit. So, you know, small town kid in Texas writing songs, how do you even you know, get out there?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And I started trying to get gigs. Literally, I'd look in the Yellow Pages and like look for places to play. In Greenville, Texas was a dry town, so there were like no clubs or bars. But I would call plays like the Bowling Alley and be like, hey, I got a band, can we come play? And They're like, no, we're a bowling alley or like Putt putt golf. Like I'm just trying to think of any place where like I could set up my band, you know, And eventually there was this pool hall called Chauncey's Place. And dude, I might have been like twelve or thirteen at this time, and I remember calling Chauncey. I would just cold call people. I mean, like I was little entrepreneur, dude, like at twelve and Chauncey himself picked up the phone. I was like, hey, my name's Ben. I got this band called Radish and we really would love to come play a gig. He's like, well, y'all any good. I'm like, yes, sir, we're really good. And I was like, in fact, I can play you a song right now over the phone. Oh way, and he kind of chuckled because he was like in his fifties or something. He's like yeah, He's like, okay, go ahead, you know what I mean, because he was just getting a kick out of this whole thing. And so, you know, old school like holding the phone between my shoulder and my ear, grabbed my guitar and I play him a song and he's like that is pretty good. All right. Next Thursday, you got your own gig, you know. And so that was our first concert. That was in nineteen ninety four. I still have the flyer wow for it. And so then eventually that led to gigs in Dallas and we started playing in the Dallas scene a lot. And in the nineties there's a neighborhood in Dallas called Deep Elam, which is iconic neighborhood for music, and in the nineties it was really a great place, a great scene, and I pretty much spent every weekend. As soon as I got my driver's license, I would just go there for the weekend, just like watch shows or play shows. Tripping Daisy the Toadies, like a lot of great bands were out of that scene.
Speaker 1: And Tripping Daisy was the precursor.
Speaker 2: To Polyphonic Spree, right, exactly amazing, And so you know, we started playing gigs. Now, Meanwhile, there's a really important part to my story because we didn't you know, it's like we didn't really know anyone in the music business except one person, and this person is so crucial to the story. So rewind back to the sixties. My dad's a drummer in high school and it's the high school talent show and my dad's band plays some cover songs or whatever, and then this kid gets up the next act and does an accordion a medleyon accordion of Beatles songs, and it's like incredible, and everyone's like, oh my god, that was Who is this guy? And so they went and introduced themselves. His name was Nils Nils Lofgren. So it turns out, you know, Nils Lofkin is one of the best guitar players of all time. He plays in the East Street Band with Springsteen. He has played with Neil Young, Crazy Horse like just such a legend. Also has an incredible catalog of solo records which I also grew up on with my dad playing those. So Grinn is like the coolest like garage rock band ever that no one knows so good. I'm so happy you mentioned that. Just made my heart. Loved the shine. So my dad and Nils became friends. My dad had the basement, so they started a new band called the Radical Five. They were also a trio, just three of them, but they thought that was cool, the Radical Five, but there's only three Like that was psychedelic, bro, you know what I mean. And so they would play my dad's basement. My dad would tell you, oh, well, I was never good enough as a musician to really do music, so he and he always had this thing for being a doctor and went on to do that. But Nills and my dad stayed in touch through the years, and so like, whenever Nils would come through town, we would always go and see him in Dallas, and so like my first concert was Bruce Springsteen in the East Street Band, born in the USA Tour nineteen eighty five Reunion Arena, Dallas, Texas, Like holy shit, wow, you know. And so Nils was like my contact, like he you know what I mean, Like he was like, Okay, this is someone who's doing the thing that like I want to do. And so ever since that first song I wrote when I was eight, I would make little cassettes and send them to Nils, you know, and just be like Nils like, check out you know these songs I'm writing. And he was always so sweet, you know. I'd call him and be like what do you think. He's like, oh, it's great, Ben, Just like keep doing it, keep writing, you know what I mean. Yeah, So fast forward back to the nineties. Deep LM. Radish is getting more serious. We're playing gigs, doing the whole thing. We did make like a cassette EP. And then CD became a thing that you could do like yourself, you know, like it became possible to duplicate like you know, five hundred or one thousand CDs like that was the thing. It was kind of expensive, but it was attainable. So we saved up money and we pressed our first CD, and so of course I sent it to Nils and I guess it was on his coffee table. He was making an album at the time, and the producer was walking by, you know, through the living room and was like, oh, what's the CD? And he picks it up and the photo of the CD was like three young kids behind bars, Like we thought that would be a cool album cover. Yeah, we're tough, you know, rawdug. So he's like, who are these kids? And Nil said, oh, well, that's my friend's son's band, you know. And this producer put it on and really liked it. And so then we get a phone call at my house.
Speaker 1: Who wasn't the god you know.
Speaker 2: His name is Roger Greenawaltz, an extremely talented producer, probably one of them I've had many mentors, you know. Roger is up there with Nils like in like, well, he calls and says, hey, can I speak to Ben? And so my parents are like, oh, yeah, sure, who is this though, you know, and he's like, well, I'm working with Nils so and they're like okay. So I speak to Roger and he says, hi, Ben, And he had kind of this you know, grandiose voice was really cool for me. But being a small town kid. I was like, whoa, this is crazy. He's like, Hi, I'm Roger Greenawalt and I'm producing Nils Lofgren right now, and I just heard your CD and there's this song that I really love. I want to come to Texas. I want to rehearse your band. We're going to record a three song demo and I'm gonna shop it around to major label record companies. And I'm probably fourteen right now, and so I'm like, Okay, I'm thinking to myself, I have no idea what the fuck you just said, but sign me up, because like this sounds like the best thing. This is exactly I want to leave school, Like I want to play music. This is it, you know. So Roger came to Texas like during spring break or something, and we rehearsed every day, and he would tell the three of us, He's like, I'm taking you guys to art school right now. So it's like the first time we ever worked with anyone with you know, any kind of producer. And so he would do things like one day, he'd walk in one day and be like, Okay, today, John the drummer, he'd be like, all right, we're gonna remove the rack Tom on the floor. Tom, you don't get any symbols. All you get is snare kick and high hat and so like the whole day, that's all you get to work with. He would do things like limiting us, you know, and like taking away and just teaching us. And then as far as songwriting, you know, he taught me what the relative minor is, which is a whole concept. You know, if you're in the key of C major, the relative minor is a minor, which is that second chord and heart and soul. So like I already knew what I was here. I could hear it all, but I didn't know how to put it to words and so like things like that. So anyway, we recorded this three three song demo and he starts sending it around and before you know it, like the phone starts ringing off the hook at my parents' house and it's like all these major label record companies and so then you know, they loved the demo. They're like, well, but we hear he's really young, you know, like we got to see if he can really perform. And so then we had to go do the showcase, which is like this is like some classic nineties shit that I'm talking about right now because this is like so many people did this formula, you know, but it actually worked for my band, which is kind of nuts to think about. So we went to New York and we did three shows. It was insane. Friday night was at CBGB's and so like my first gig in New York, you know, outside of Texas was at CBGB's, and Saturday night was at Coney Island High, which I don't think is there anymore, and then Sunday was at Don Hills, which I'm not sure if that's there anymore, but they say that On Friday night it was like all the A and rs from the labels, and then they would they left CBS and we're like yo. They would call their boss, like the head of A and R say, Yo, this band Radish. You got to come tomorrow night and see them at Coney Island High. And so Saturday night it was the A and R's plus the head of an R's. After the Saturday show, the head of an RS called the presidents and we're like, yo, you got to come see this band Radish. On Sunday they're playing at Don Hills. This is what I was told you know like this is all the legend of it all sounds right, and so on Sunday night, I remember our lawyer, Jonathan Aralick. He after the show at don Hills. He was like, I've never seen this before, like and this is like this attorney was at a huge law firm like that represented Madonna and Springsteen, like big big stuff, and he's like, you had every president of every major record label was in that room. Like it was kind of nuts. And so we ended up signing with Mercury Records, and the album it like didn't really do much. It was like, you know, classic big budget major label thing. I remember, like really funny because I I remember I was fifteen, and I remember the publicist from Mercury would come to me all the time be like, Ben, you have to stop dyeing your hair different colors because like we're spending so much money on press shots, like no one's gonna know what you look like. And I was like whatever, you know, like stuff like that, like just and we went to the UK and actually had like a hit song in the UK called Little Pink Stars. The like did really well, and we did like Redding Festival. We'd sort of faith no more over there in Europe, and then it was time for our second album. But at this point Mercury was bought by PolyGram and it was like all these corporate mergers, and then it eventually became Island def Jam music group who didn't really give a shit about Radish.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate. You guys were really cool. I mean, I don't want to say unfortunate because that ends well, but is what it is, like of all the sort of post you know, there was a lot of those posts Nirvana groups. Most didn't I don't feel got the proper signal from Nirvana, you know, like they did a version of Nirvana that was like not that great, right, and whatever whatever you guys took from it was really actually really it felt like the spirit of it continued, you know right on Maneah.
Speaker 2: Well that's cool to hear. You know, Nirvana really was always my favorite band, but it was like also the Beatles, so there was just definitely like this melodic thing that I was obsessed with.
Speaker 1: What was your family thinking they were?
Speaker 2: They were so supportive. I mean that is like the thing, you know, it doesn't make sense, but it also kind of makes sense because if you look at the timeline, like back to eight years old. Like by the time I was fifteen, you know, it's the whole ten thousand hours and you're an expert thing, right, Yeah, Well, like I was already like just so deep in my path, so like when it was time to go perform in New York, and also I was just so I had so much confidence, you know, and determination, and my parents were just like, well, this is what he's doing. And they were so supportive.
Speaker 1: And you were kind of out on your own. Was anyone accompanying you on those.
Speaker 2: Shoe So that's a good question. I mean I remember when it was time to go on tour, you know, well we called Nils and was like, okay, well what do we do, you know, like we need like a crew or something. And so Nils's guitar tech, Michael Mtuzac, we called him twos Two's was our chaperone slash tour manager, slash guitar tech you know, slash driver. So two's another mentor, you know, taught me the code of the road and how the road life is.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Also, Nils did an interesting thing when the record deal happened. He called my parents and was like, I need Ben to go to AA meetings. I didn't drink. I didn't do drugs, but he was like, as a preparatory situation, like he should go to AA meetings and like hear stories because there's gonna be a lot of temptation out there, and you know what I mean. And that was kind of a cool thing. So I would go at fifteen to the local AA meetings and sit around with like these old people who are smoking cigs and you know, drinking coffee, and I'd just chill with them and listen to stories. And that must have been helpful, you know. I never got lost in drugs and alcohol. I always just really stayed clear about the music.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's amazing man, So thanks Nels. Yeah, that's an incredible support man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So what's funny And I didn't mention it, but like in the Radish time, when all the labels wanted us, you know, we did the New York thing with the showcases, then we to go to LA to meet the West Coast labels. And at that time it was Maverick.
Speaker 1: Records, which was Madonna right.
Speaker 2: Madonna's label, and Guyo Siri was running that and Freddie DeMann, who was Madonna's manager Interscope. So Jimmy iveen with Interscope. Jimmy had a party at his house in Malibu, and so it was some famous fight, like a vander Holyfield fight that only like you know, ten people could pay per view in America, and like Jimmy had it piped into his house straight from Vegas in the theater room. As it was a party for everyone was going to watch this fight. I didn't even not many people watched. It was just a party, right, But it kind of blew my mind. That was a moment at fifteen years old, coming from Greenville, Texas, where my only understanding of pop culture was MTV, the radio and like Rolling Stone magazine. Right, so we get it. We walk into Jimmy's house and it's me and our drummer and my dad and the drummer's dad, like you know, and so we're hanging with Jimmy. It's like early afternoon. There's a few people there. Dre's there, and so we're like, well, that's fucking cool. And so we're like hanging with doctor Trey. I think my dad smoked a joint with doctor Dre in the in the limo actually, because he had his Limo just parked out front. But then like later as people started showing up, it was like Axel Rose, Robbie Robertson from the band who my dad was most stoked about. He was like, dude, you know who that is. That's Robbie Robertson from And I'm like, I didn't know who the band was yet, you know what I mean, Like all I knew was like, that's Doctor tre that's Axel Rose. Holy fucking shit. You know, Joe's strummer from the Clash was there. What the nineteen ninety seven swimsuit calendar Sports Illustrated girls were there, And of course Jimmy knew that I was a huge petty fan, and he was like, hey, Tom's gonna come later too, you know, he said he's coming, and so I was like, oh shit, this is incredible. But it just like blew my mind because like from my existence in Greenville, texts is like Doctor Dre and Axel Rose are in such different lanes. They don't even know each other. In my mind, I'm like, that's just different worlds, but all being in the same room. That's when I realized, I'm like, oh wow, okay, so actually they are the same like there, this is like showbiz, like they're entertainers, they're artists, and like of course they know each other because like who else can relate with this life, you know.
Speaker 4: What I mean.
Speaker 2: So like it kind of was real eye opening for me because as a consumer, you just see everything as branded, right, and that's what I guess people want, but it's it's we're all.
Speaker 1: Exactly separate. This this doctor drad gets fed to that audience and be audience exactly exactly.
Speaker 2: But it is funny because Jimmy came up to me, He's like, all right, Ben, Tom's on his way, and I was like, oh fuck, I'm so nervous, you know, to meet Tom Petty. And so like I walked out front and I sat on like the stup like like the steps right outside of the front door, just waiting like I don't know why, like I'm at this like party at some dude's house, Like I don't need to go out there, but like in my mind I'm fifteen, I'm like, I'm just gonna go sit and pretend like I'm not doing anything. Sure enough, a rolls Royce pulls up, Rick Rubin gets out of the driver's seat and Tom gets out of the passenger seat and they walk and there, walking towards me, right to the front door, and I remember just sitting there and like them both being like hey, and just walked by me and entered the house. And so I'm just like looking around and I'm like, Okay, I guess I'll go back inside the party now, like, you know, like what was I doing?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: And so I go back in the party and uh, and Rick walks and he goes and sits on a couch, you know, and he's like talking to people, and Tom's there, and at some point Tom walked by me again and he was like, hey, man, do you have any weed on you? And that was like the one moment in my life where I'm like, God, damn, why don't I have any weed on me right now? But I love that like of all the people he's asking, like the fifteen year old, he looks year olds, probably got.
Speaker 3: Some weed on him.
Speaker 2: And so I'm like, no, man, sorry, He's like all right, it's all good. Then later he we circle back, you know, and see each other, and he's like, so, Jimmy's telling me that, you know, you're a really good artist, you know, And I'm like, well, I don't know about that. But he's like, well, you know, never sell your publishing. I'm like okay, He's like, I sold my publishing. They gave me ten thousand dollars. I thought I was rich. I've never made a dime off American girl. It's like damn, Like that's raw, you know, and we just start talking. So you know, it was just like sweet of him, like you know, just like going straight to some business like bullet points for like this young kid, you know, like he was like trying to teach me some shit. And then later the party's sort of dying down. And this is another thing like at that time in my life, like I was just so hungry, you know, and I would take my guitar with me everywhere. I would play for anyone at the drop of a hat. I want to get back into that mindset, by the way, Like I've been thinking about that a lot, Like there's something so beautiful about like when you're a teenager and like you're just naive and all you care about is the one thing you love, you know, which in my case was music. So of course, like why wouldn't I just go everywhere with a guitar and like, why wouldn't I just play for anyone, anywhere, at anytime. You know, I love that there's something so beautiful that kind of goes away, or it did for me, you know.
Speaker 1: I think Neil still has that. And that's why bother because when you're around Neil, you realize, yeah, there's something going on in them like that, it's just there and you don't want to take them out of you. I got that, yes.
Speaker 2: So they were like, hey, kid, play us a song. And so I was like all right. And so I'm sitting in this chair and there's a couch to my left and to my right and this big like crystal coffee table that's probably like you know, six feet long, and then a chair on the other end. And so it's like me, Tom Petty's to my right on the couch with other people kind of standing around Joe Strummers where you're sitting like on the other side of the coffee table, and just other people kind of around right, and they're like, all right, play us a song, kid. I'm like, all right, pop open my guitar case, pull out my acoustic I start playing a song. I finish it, and they're all like whoo you know, clapping and like screaming like that's awesome, blah blah. And so I hand my guitar to Tom and I said, Tom, play us a song. It's like all right. And he said the coolest thing to my fifteen year old small town brain. He said, this is a Bech song. And I was like, oh my god, Tom Petty listens to Beck like I'm thinking, you know what I mean, like this is so fucking cool, and so again like I just shattering, you know, genres and like realities of marketing and all the shit that were fed right and the lanes and the categorical nonsense. Yes, like yeah, like, oh, he's so cool. Tom's cool. He freaking knows about Beck like that was you know. And so not only does he play a Beck song, he plays a Beck song I had never heard before, asshole Wow, which was on One Foot in the Grave and which I didn't which of course I went and found like the next day, you know, at Amoba Records or whatever. But he plays this song that I never heard it, which is such a really unique chord progression. Everyone out there should listen to this song. Then Tom says Joe and hands my guitar to Joe's drummer, and so he's like, ah, fuck off everyone, and they're all like, no, Joe, play play London Calling. Play London Calling. And I'm like, what's London Calling because I didn't know the class yet. Wow, you know, And so they play London Call. It's like, oh fucking twas fuck.
Speaker 6: And then he starts going to dank gank gank gank good dank gank gank gang good dank gang, London Calling girl, and everyone's singing London Calling, and it was just such a vibe and then he like you know, does like a verse in of chorus and then he stands up, hey kid, catch and he throws my guitar across the you know, million dollar coffee table, and I stand up and I catch it boom and I sit back down and then I played another song. So that was like my first time in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: I don't know if show business gets any better than that.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the epitome, right.
Speaker 1: And Jimmy wanted you guys on Interscope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Interscope. He wanted us really bad, you know, and he's the one we should have signed with. Like if you look back and really analyze everything. He's the one that probably would have been the right move. But you know there everything is right like meaning like yeah, like no regrets, like I'm so thankful that like history played out the way it did, and then I was able to have my solo career, Like I'm just happy with the way things are, and even if I was unhappy, that's still how it is, which we can get to in a little bit of like how things go down in life.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more from ben Queler. After the break between Radish and Shasha. Your first solo period, Yeah, what what was happening in terms of your your songwriting and your development.
Speaker 2: Well, I started to write a lot more autobiographical songs a lot. I started to really develop sort of I guess what the Ben Kueller sound is, which is just very sort of on the nose, straight up direct it is what it is. And also when you write for a band sometimes there's like a feeling like, well, it's like everybody in the band has to kind of vibe with the song you write because you're representing the band through these songs, right, And so a big moment that happened in that period was I met my wife Liz. So Radish needed a bass player and a producer. We were working with Bryce Gogin, amazing producer. Did like all the pavement stuff, a bunch of Lemonheads records.
Speaker 1: That I love.
Speaker 2: Bryce heard about a bass player in Boston, Josh La Tansi. So me and John David Kent, the drummer from Radish, we fly up to Boston. We auditioned Josh. He's great. We're there for a few days. One of the nights he had a gig. He was playing with a band, so we went to the start to watch him on stage and you know, check out his gig. And at that gig, he introduced me to all of his friends and Liz was one of the friends.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: So I meet Liz and we just hit it off like it was like we knew each other from another life, like another you know, kind of just an energy thing. It's nineteen ninety eight, and she said, oh, you're from Texas. Cool. I'm actually coming through Texas. I'm going on a road trip with my best friend Anna and we're coming through Texas. I said, oh, well, you got to stay at my place and she's like, oh perfect. Meanwhile, you know my place is my bedroom at my mom and dad's house, because you know, I'm seventeen at this point, Liz was twenty two, and I don't think I mentioned that I was seventeen. Looking back, She's like, I totally assumed you were at least eighteen, because you're like on a business trip in Boston, like with your band, like it was you know what I mean, Like didn't realize you were like a high school dropout, and so they eventually got to textas and the rest is history. Really, I mean, I think maybe a month later, I told my parents, Hey, I'm you know, most of my friends are going to college. I'm not going to go to college. I want to get closer to New York, keep pursuing music. So I'm going to move to Connecticut and live with Liz. Because she left Boston had to go back to Connecticut where she grew up, and so I moved to Connecticut and lived there with her in her childhood home, and that's where I started writing this new body of work. So I would go into New York City because Radish still had this contract with Mercury, but really now it was Island def Jam Music Group, and I would talk to them. You know, like, hey, you know, we just made this great album with Bryce Gagan at Muscle Shoals, Alabama. And it was funny because like I'm trying to tell them, like how good this album is. Meanwhile, it's like it was like a double album, eighteen songs like really deck and like just me spreading my wings, you know, and they're just like, it's never going to come out. Basically it never did, and in fact, actually we're going to release it. We're working. That's a project we're working on, like the unreleased Ratish album, which and what's really cool about that record is that there's like four songs on it that I ended up re recording for Shawsha. And at that time, pro Tools came out with this product like a do it yourself It was called like the Inbox and it was like a do it yourself record at home situation because I had like a Taskam cassette recorder, but this inbox thing was new, and so I started recording songs in my apartment in Brooklyn. We left Connecticut moved to New York. So I made a CD called Freak Out. It's Ben Queller and we pressed up a thousand because I looked around the room. I'm like, I don't have a band, it's just me, so that I'll be Ben Queller. I'm solo. So I started playing gigs, just like you know how I started as a kid, like just calling around, and I started getting gigs in the Lower East Side. And then there's another band starting called the Strokes, and we become friends and playing gigs, and the Moldy Peaches are starting. So now it's like early two thousands right in New York, which was a vibe. And one day I get a phone call from Evan Dando of the Lemonheads, which was a complete hero of mine, like up there with Kurt Cobain and the whole thing. So cool. So I get this message, Ben, this is Evan Dando calling. I can't stop playing this freak out record. Give me a call back bye. And I was like, oh my god, holy shit. So I call Evan back. I'm like hey, it's Ben Cohler. He's like, hey, dude, you want to go on tour? And I was like, yes I do. He's like, great, pick me up at the airport tomorrow at twelve and we'll head up to Boston for a show. And I'm like okay, I'd like, I don't know, like it's like he also just needed someone to pick him up at the airport. And so I throw my guitar in the trunk of my Volvo and I drive to the airport pick up Evan. And for like four or five months, all I did was open for him. And so like all of my first fans, as Ben Koehler, were Lemonheads fans. Yeah, and also like this is the other thing, is like Evan calling me was such a moment because up until that point, it was just like business people that were kissing my ass and like, you know, we're gonna make you a stock kid, like you know, that was just so fickle and flighty and you know, not real at the time. But Evan calling me was like the first person that I an artist that I actually respected and looked up to and wanted to be appeer with, you know, And so that was like probably the most meaningful bullet point, you know, in this timeline. And so then from there it was like he introduced me to Juliana Hatfield, I'd start opening for her, and you know, then Jeff Tweety got a copy of Freak Out, and so it just like started becoming a thing. So meanwhile, I would take these flyers to the Island f GM Music Group office of like, hey guys, I'm opening for Wilco and or the Lemonheads. They would be like how are you doing? Like how are you getting these gigs? You're not ready, You're not ready to you should be rioting and demoing.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: Like I was in there and I'm like, well, I'm already. Meanwhile, like you know, I did make this bootleg CD without telling anybody, you know what. I was just like trying to hustle it.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: So one day I was at a gig opening for Evan and Ben Lee was also on the bill where we became friends, and this guy came up to me after the gig and said, hey, my name is Michael McDonald, not from the Doobie Brothers stuff, Like yeah, yeah, my name is Michael McDonald and I just started a record company with Dave Matthews. It's called Ato Records, and we really want to sign you. We want you to be our first worldwide signing. And I was like, Okay, let's do it. And so the day I got Radish basically departed from Mercury. Ben Kuehler signed on to ATO Records and those early days was that's two thousand and one early days at Oh yeah, it was the first worldwide they had licensed to the David Gray album, which did amazing in the US. And uh so then we went in and recorded Shasha.
Speaker 1: What was the process of making Shasha with ATO as sort of your label, was it?
Speaker 2: That was cool? Yeah? We recorded in New York at this really famous studio called Seer Sound, which used to be the Hit Factory back in the sixties. John Lennon did a lot of solo work there, so we showed up day one. We worked with a great producer, British producer. It's funny actually my first three albums were all produced by British. British Yeah, kind of a thing, you know. That's that's my that's my sixties British invasion. Yeah. So yeah, we recorded. I mean at that point it was Josh who was in Radish, you know, who introduced me to my wife, and then John David, the Radish drummer, was the drummer, so it was kind of Radish was the band.
Speaker 1: For different at least from the stuff that got released. I mean, you're singing solid changed quite a bit bit sure for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean, like the Radish stuff that was released is this album Restraining Bolt, which was like our sort of major label debut, And yeah, I definitely like had that sort of classic American singer thing from the nineties that you're kind of sounding British, you know, you know I want to Fly Take Me to the Sky. You know, that was like, oh so common in the post grunge era. I kind of outgrew that by the time I went in and made Shasha.
Speaker 1: I Thank god the way you developed it seemed like it was a really original style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, you know, and I embraced the piano, you know, because like in the Radish there was no piano. I just played guitar and sang, but you know, like pianos were it all started for me as an artist really, and so I had these songs that I loved on the piano, in other words, falling. There were just some real good piano songs, and I just knew, if I'm going to be a solo artist, piano is equal to guitar in my book. You know, It's a fifty to fifty thing kind of in my world. And also it being a debut album, and knowing knowing who the hell Bend Coelor was, Like, I really intentionally made the track listings just sort of unique and eclectic, you know, a rock song into a folk song into a seventies piano ballad and the psychedelic like trippy thing. You know, I love so many types of music, and I didn't want to just be one thing. I wanted to just kind of show people a little bit of everything, like all my flavors. Here's all my flavors, and then stay along for the ride, and I'll make a bunch of albums hopefully. That's kind of what in my mind that was like the game plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, you might get a lot of flavors on it, maybe like a maybe Elliott Smith would be another person who you might get a rock song and take a more of a folk into a piano ballad into but in no way sounds like an Elliott Smith's record either. You know, Beck was.
Speaker 2: An artist who really like would do that sort of like back and forth a bunch of different stuff. And I always loved his early work, like all of his work's great, but you know, at that time, definitely was inspired by a lot of his early stuff. I just not even inspired by, but just like I really like fucked with it, and like like I related to what he was doing, you know, like I would listen to back and be like, oh, I feel like I know that guy. Like we you know, it was relatable to me and probably like millions of other people who listened. But you know, that was just in my little world. But then also artists like you know, Neil Young or Tom Petty like you know, and particularly Neil I would say, you know, going back and forth from piano to guitar. But then Nil's Lofgren, I mean, and if you listen to his first solo album, which is just called Nils Lofgrens Great, underrated, amazing album, you know he kind of switches between guitar and piano. So naturally that's kind of I just as a kid, was like, that's kind of what you do in rock and roll. You play a little piano here, you play little guitar, then you sing on both those songs. You know, Yeah, that's what ties it in as the voice.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get feedback from from Dave as like an artist like today?
Speaker 2: Dave actually would come to the studio when we were recording Shasha. We had a lot of hangs with Dave. Yeah, it was great. He was so fun to be around.
Speaker 1: And yeah, would he give input or was he like hands off and just kind of letting you see?
Speaker 2: He was pretty hands off creatively. I remember he would talk about like video ideas, which is really fun, Like this song in other words, one of the piano songs. He was like, we need to go because it mentions butterflies in the song, and he was he was like, we gotta go. There's this place in Mexico where the butterflies like come alive at a certain time. Like I'm just picturing the video now, like let's go, and I'm thinking my mind. I'm like, well, dude, you're Dave Matthew's like you can go anywhere to shoot any kind of video. But I'm like kind of like this guy that's never put out a solo record, Like, you know, I don't know if that's on the budget.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, at but is Dave Matthew subsidizing this?
Speaker 2: Yeah you really want to spend it on a video?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 2: What a great guy. I mean, we had some great times together. It was really fun. Early days Ato.
Speaker 1: I was not so much pain attention to the mechanics of how things worked at that time. But I remember the Shasha record and me and all my friends really loved that record. We were in bands at the time, you know, and just trying to figure things out. And then I just remember at some point, and you can correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a memory of like there being commercials on TV for like On My Way, like your next album, Like yeah, it was like, whoa, this guy's getting big.
Speaker 2: That sounds familiar. Actually, there was something in so ATO Records went through RCA Records that's just for just au and stuff, and I think there was something in Ato's agreement with RCA that like if an album Ato puts out does certain numbers, you know, one hundred thousand units or more whatever, then the next album upstreams to RCA, Like RCA was like, okay, well that's good enough for us, so you know, we want to be involved. And so I think and and Shasha hit that target whatever it was, and so then for On My Way, r c A definitely got involved. And I do remember there were some commercials at that time that I don't remember what they were. God, I'd love to find them be fun to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Same. I don't exactly remember what they were, but I just remember thinking that it was that's wild, like, Okay, there's a I'm finding out, there's a new ben coming from my TV. That's cool, bizarre, like was unexpected, you know, And that's a really that's an amazing album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you. I love that album because it's very raw. And that's Ethan John's behind the wheel on that drive, the recording console. And yeah, we didn't even use headphones. We just set up standing like right in front of the drum kit, two guitars and a bass player and in a little circle and just played everything live. So we played really quietly and without headphones. You got to play quietly to really hear each other. This really interesting way to record. My guitar player at the time was Mike Stroud, who one of the best guitar players I've ever known, and we toured together. He eventually went on to form Ratatat, which is such a cool group. Yeah, yeah, that's Mike Stroud. So if you go back and listen to on My Way album the guitar solo, so Mike's and the right speaker, I'm in the left speaker, so the guitar solos on the Rules and Disaster, like those songs are basically Rattat guitar player. You know, half of rat Attat is that record. So it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: So, you know, On My Way kind of kicks up to the level of URCA feeling like we can we can deal with this kid. You know, also like kind of broke through commercially to a degree. Yeah, and then you do your self titled record.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So you know, I'm always an interesting documentation because it's like really raw, like no overdubs, no headphones. It was just a band playing songs, you know, and it's really got a cool vibe to it, which is kind of maybe in hindsight, unfortunate because like it had the biggest push from the labe from RCA, you know, but we delivered like this album that was like super low fi and you know, very vibey, but like definitely no hits on it kind of a thing, you know. But my third album, I really wanted to do something really expansive and just very layered, and I heard a bunch of instrumentation and I met with Gil Norton, great producer in London, and we were talking about the album. We're talking about tracking it and okay, like who's going to play the instruments? And I'm like, well, I got my bass player, Josh and you know John David, you know, played on the first two albums, and we can do Mike Stroud, you know, and guitar or something. And then Gil was like, who's playing on these demos because we were listening to some of the demos I made. I said, oh, well, I played all the instruments on the demos. It's like, oh may. He's like, well, have you ever thought about recording the album just you? I was like, well, no, not really, but it sounds kind of interesting. He's like, oh, man, I think that would be really fun. He's like, I've only ever been in the studio with bands, so it'd be really kind of fun to just work with one artist and just like this does it all? Like you know, we could just like layer everything up, and so that's what we ended up doing. So he came to New York and we recorded this little studio called the Magic Shop, and it was like a musical playground. They had two pianos. They had two grand pianos, a black one and a white one. One was in tune. One was out and we had him like facing each other like Yin and yang. It looked pretty cool, and so we purposely kept one out of tune. Then you got the organ, and then there's a glock and spiel, and then at the other end is the drum set and then here's a wall of amps. We set it up all in a circle. Because there's only going to be one source being played at any given moments, you don't have to worry about bleed or anything like that. So it was just like, what do you want to record? Whatever you're inspired to record, you just press record and pick up that instrument. So it was really cool. So like every track, it's very piano heavy. Every song pretty much it's like we would do a take of the intune piano, take of the autitune piano, then we'd add like glock and spiel. It definitely has like this sort of like there's like a Springsteen feeler, like more of like a Jeff Lynn style, just layered, you know, one hundred acoustic guitars, but it all kind of comes together into one sound in a really unique way. Also, at that time, Liz was pregnant with our first child and so we're living in New York and that was an interesting dynamic because we were the first of our peer group to actually have a baby. That was kind of like an interesting you know, because like up until that time, you know, it was like touring and rock and roll and going staying out late. You know, you don't have to answer to anyone, you know, and so like now it's like, oh, we're pregnant, we're having a baby, which we're so excited about, and now I'm in the studio by myself. So it was like kind of like one of the most liberating recording experiences but also one of the most lonely. But it also, I feel like, has some of my best songs. It's got this song called thirteen, which is sort of one of my best love songs, I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So that was my self titled album, and then after that, as a songwriter, you know, whenever I would write a song, I would put it in my sketch books. I would always make lists of songs like buckets. I call them, like different buckets of songs. They're each buckets an album a potential album, I guess. And growing up in Texas, you know, we talked about how you know, it was all Beatles, British Invasion and then Nirvana. But then there's the third pillar of my musical lineage, which is the music that would be playing around me, like when I'd go to Walmart or like sitting at Applebee's having lunch, and that would have been the class of eighty nine country music, Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, all that stuff. So like, there's like definitely a lot of country. So I would write country songs, even going all the way back to Radish. I would just sometimes you can't help what you're right, you know, it just pops out and I'm like, oh, that's a cool country song. So I'd put each one of those in this country album bucket. So after the self titled album, I'm like, Okay, this will be my fourth album. I have like ten songs here that are really good country songs. So that's going to be the next one. And so I called it Changing Horses. I decided, oh, well, I made the first three album New York, maybe I should go back to Texas for this one. And at that time, the band Spoon, their drummer Jimmy, you know, he had just built a great studio in Austin called Public Hi Fi, and Jim was like, dude, come down here to Austin, make the record of my new studio. You'll love it. And so we rented a house in Austin for a few weeks and we recorded Changing Horses, which is one of my personal favorites that I've made. It's so unique, and you know, I call it a country album. It very much is. It's got pedal steel and doughbro all over it, played by this amazing musician, Ben Kidderman. But it's my flavor of country. You know. It's a Ben Coehler album, like for sure. So we made that we go back to New York. It turns out that the Changing Horses was the last album for Ato Records. In the contract, we're back in Brooklyn and Liz is like, man, life was really nice in Austin. And Dorian, our son was born before this. So actually when we came down to record Changing Horses, Dorian was with us. He was like one, you know, So when we're back in Brooklyn, she was like, life was really easy in Austin. You know, having a baby there was super easy and cool. And so we decided to move to Austin in two thousand and eight or nine. So we get to Austin. I always, in the back of my mind knew that I wanted to have a record company because I've just always been a record nerd and I've just been obsessed with recording other people and loving bands and records and the whole thing. And so instead of renewing with ATO, I told him, I'm like, hey, I love you guys so much, but down in Austin just had a baby. I'm like, just changing up everything. I'm going to start my own record label. So the Noise Company was born, and that was in twenty ten, and we put out an album for me called Go Fly a Kite, which did it for an independent release. For our first release, did really well, ended up getting nominated for a Grammy for Best Album Art. I will say a non music Grammy, but hey, it's as my publicist said, dude, we can still say Grammy nominated artist. But really proud of that release because artwork is always actually really important to me, the aesthetics and I just love the tactile, you know, experience of an album and a record and so yeah, so we did that. We discovered this great band wild Child signed them. So that's it. So now that this is our like real community at this point, you know, the locals.
Speaker 1: Can Can you talk a bit about Dorian and your relationship with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Yeah, Dorian, it was a lot like me, just very musical, super creative, and we joke that like in second grade, he was given you know, at the end of the school year, every kid gets award for some different thing, and he got the friend to all Ward and he really was you know, he wasn't concerned with mundane, just sort of everyday stuff that most people learn. Like he like, you know, we'd be having dinner and he'd be like, Mom, this is amazing chicken, and she'd be like that's beef, and like, you know, and that was like when he was like, you know, a teenager, you know, like he just never learned the difference between Like he didn't care if if you were like conservative liberal, like what, like, none of that shit mattered to him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He was just like he just saw you for you and if he jibed with it, all good, if not all good, like you know what I mean. He just like did his thing and he was like a true connector. I mean it's amazing. Like the funeral, so many people showed up, Hundreds of people showed up, Like we met so many kids that would just come up to us and say, you know, Dorian reached out to me and like brought introduced me to these people, like he would put people together and just like people have come up to me since, like you know, we're friends because of Dorian, like we never would have known each other or and in all different scenes from like the skaters to the band nerds like cool uncool again, like none of the just people. You know, that's all it was.
Speaker 1: For him, seated.
Speaker 2: Yes, we started, you know, he started making music like in his bedroom here and dripping springs. Like when we moved here full time, he really started playing guitar a lot more, and I would hear him in his bedroom coming up with original stuff, and I'd go in and we'd talk and be like, dude, that's cool. Like then he started learning fl fl Studio, which is like the competitor, you know, it's one of these like recording softwares, but it's like a real hip hop like a lot of the hip hop producers use FL And he loved hip hop, and so he started making beats. I mean, he would like the incredible beats would be coming out of his bedroom. I'd be like, dude, like this stuff is so good. And then the last piece for him as an artist was like his voice, Like he's started finding his voice and it was such a like soultry sort of his voice tone is a lot of people are like, oh god, he sounds just like you, but really, if you listen, it's actually a deeper register than me. It's a lower voice, and it's like very raspy and just sultry is like the word I always think when I think of his singing. And he was like, Dad, like I want to put out some of these songs. And so we started like he would come over here to the barn and I would sort of help him mix stuff. And he decided he wanted to release his music under his middle name, zev Zev, which means wolf, and so we started dropping songs like as Zev you know, on Spotify, and it was just so cool, you know, and he was sixteen and it was really interesting, Like there was this period of time where he just would we would have these conversations, uh, you know, at dinner. We'd always have dinner together as a family, Me, Liz, Judah and Dorian. And for a minute there, like there's this like two week period where he was constantly like god, guys like mom, Dad, Like I just feel so weird, like I can't fit it all in, Like I need, like Dad, we need to be putting out a song like every Friday, Like let's I want to put out his song constantly. And then of course I'm like trying to explain well, like you know, Spotify really prefers if it's like a four week ramp up period and then then you got to pitch it to editorial like all the bullshit that is driven into our brains, you know, as professionals, and you know, he but he's just like, no, dog, like I want to I need to be dropping a song a day, yeah, you know in his mind. And he but just this interesting vibe where he was just like but yes, a dad, like I need to put out music. He's like I need to go hang with my friends. But like then I feel bad, like I want to hang out with you guys, you know, like, and I just can't fit it. Like there was this weird thing that was happening, and then one day Liz comes home, and she's like, God, everyone who drives a black pickup truck is an asshole. We're kind of like, really, okay, ha ha, like what like she like, so she kept seeing these black trucks that were like, I don't know, like running off the road or like. She kept having these weird things, these mother instinct vibe things.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So one night we're sitting around the dinner table and Dorian's it's like a Monday or Tuesday. It's school night, and he says, Mom, Dad, I'm gonna go over to Dylan's house after dinner and skate. And they're like, oh, okay. Well, and Liz kind of gave it to him a little bit. She kind of went into the thing of, well, Dorry, you know you have that test this week at school. You probably haven't studied, Like you need to study for that. It's a school night, like you really need to start thinking about your future, like you really need to start getting your act together and like get serious about school, you know, and just kind of giving him that talk, and he was so sweet. He was like, yeah, I know you're right, but I'm still gonna go to Dylan's and skate. You know, we kind of like chuckled, and we're like okay, you know, and so then he's like, all right, love you guys. So we have dinner. He leaves. Then Judah, me and Liz were watching some lame show on Netflix. I don't remember what it is because we'd never watched it since this night, and he always was home by nine, and so it's like nine thirty, right, and Liz said, hey, call Dorian, make sure he's heading home, you know, by nine thirty. I didn't really want after the whole conversation we had at the dinner table, I didn't want to be like, dude, good look, you know. So I looked on Find my app or whatever to see his iPhone see where it was, and I saw the blue dot was heading home on McGregor Lane in Dripping Springs, and so I'm like, I told Liz, I'm like, oh, he's on his way home. I see him. He's good and she's like all right, cool. As we keep watching the show, and like twenty minutes later, he's not home, and he would have been like ten or fifteen minutes away from home. So that was a little weird. So I pull up Find My and the dots in the same spot that it was when I looked twenty minutes ago, and so I stood up and I'm like, hey, something's not right. I'm gonna go check on Dorian, like maybe flat tire or something or you know what I mean. I'm just like anything. And there's like not really good cell phone service over there. That's you know, we're in the boonies. So like I know that road, and and so I hop in the car and I just like race down because you know, it's like every parent's worst nightmare is that thought. You always think.
Speaker 1: This is a thought.
Speaker 2: It's always a thought. Be the worst of the worst is what you think, and it never happens luckily, and so you know, but I'm having a feeling, so like I'm fucking speeding, racing down, and it was kind of first weird thing was there were no deer on the side. Usually at night out here there's you'll see deer on the side of the road or see it's kind of you know, but there was like the seas were parted. It was a kind of the only thing I can think of is like there were no animals. There was one car that kind of drove towards me, that passed me on the road at one point headlights and then I'm just like hammering down and I make this turn and I'm going on straightaway and I see all the lights, blue, red, flashing, spinning, and I'm like, oh, fuck, okay, what something's up. I race up fire trucks, cop cars. There's a little red car on the side of the road with a young lady standing there, shell shocked, just kind of standing by her car. I pull right up to there's cones. I jump out of the car. I start running towards the police and everybody. I'm like, where is he? Where is he? He's my son? Where is he? I look to my left, I see the car. The door has been cut off. He's not in the car. So I'm like, oh, and so then a big officer, whoa, whoa, whoa, sir, sir, sir, you're not allowed to be here. This is a you know, active investigation, the whole thing. I'm like, where is he? He's my son, I'm his father, Like what you know? Where is he? And he was like, sir, you don't want to go over there, And I'm like, what do you mean, Like, hey, I do want to go over there, Like I'm his dad, you know, like you don't know me, Like, I appreciate you trying to do your job, but like if my like is he dead, you know? And he said, you don't want to go over there. That's how he answered me. And so I knew. So I call Liz. You know, I'm just like, honey, you gotta get down here. And it's really bad. And she said, what it is the worst scream I've ever heard through the phone. Her and Juda get in the car the other Luckily we had two cars, and her and Juda race down and yeah, and Dorian was dead. Car crash, the red car that was there. This young lady, she said she was driving and Dorian was in front of her, and she saw a big black truck driving toward them, and the black truck went into Dorian into their lane. Dorian tried to correct to the right. A month prior, we had that huge freeze. This is twenty twenty three, there was some crazy blizzard freeze in Texas that kind of made the news, you know. So there were all these broken branches. The weight of the ice would break branches and so the side of the road was littered with these branches. Okay, broken branches Dorian swerved to the right, and a branch happened to be exactly at his head height, pierced through the windshield and hit him in the head and that was it. Instant, didn't feel a thing, didn't even probably know what the hell happened. And so the girl in the red car basically saw him swerve, but also thought that maybe he just turned into a dry and then when she went by him, she saw no, there's like a car in the woods, and so she freaked out, called nine one one, Thank god she was there. She you know, called nine one one. They said the black truck might not even know what happened, like it could have been just like kind of didn't see what was going, like, oh, kind of swerved and then you know, you don't think that like just a little action is going to like kill someone. So we don't know who was driving the black truck. And like, also it's probably good we don't know, like I don't, you know, like that's just it is what it is, and hopefully they don't have any clue. That'd be a lot better to live with just not knowing. So yeah, so that was when my life really changed. Driving home, the three of us instead of the four of us, you know, wof And finally one of the guys let me go see him. It's like, I have to see him. And they apparently when they got to the scene, they tried to resuscitate him. He was so gone instantly, but they had him in the middle of the road covered in a blanket, and I lifted the blanket, I saw him and kissed him, and then the judge came, the local Hayes County judge to pronounce him dead. It's like all the craziest stuff, you know that I find myself saying, like this stuff, it's unbelievable. I mean, everyone's devastated at this scene. You know, I just lost my sixteen year old son. And the judge said, if you need anything, twenty four to seven, here's my cell phone. And then of course they're like, what are we doing with the body? And I'm like, well, god, like, I don't even know what we're doing with my parents when they die, like, let alone my son. So I need to think this through. Now this is really weird. Rewind four years. We're here, we just bought the property, and we're hanging with my mom and dad and we're talking about end of life, you know, we're talking about. Okay, Mom, Dad, like what do you guys, Like, where do you want to be buried? Like, you know, in the spiritual side of me. And I think the way I am is because I'm an artist and I've lived in chaos my whole life since i was a kid thrown into music. I really crave order and a schedule and a routine and consistency. I really crave it, you know, So conversations like this is kind of I think part of me trying to like know what the hell's happening. So having this conversation with my mom and dad, like, well, we got these two plots up in Maryland, you know. I'm like, well that sounds lame, like I don't know, And I was like why. I know, Like I've heard of like family cemeteries out in Texas, you know, like on ranches and stuff, and so I started looking into it four years ago and I'm like reading the criteria and I'm like, okay, like we check all the points, like you have to when when you create a cemetery on your property, you have to basically section it off and survey it. It becomes a detached from your property and becomes Parkland, Texas state. Well, it's private parkland, but it's part of the state of Texas at that point because like who knows what happens to your property, but the cemetery is forever told my parents and Liz, I'm like, dude, we could actually do like this family cemetery. And they're like really, like that's a little morbid. I'm like yeah, but like it could be a thing, like then we'll all know like where we're buried. And and the boys loved this, by the way, like Judah and Dorian were all about having a cemetery because they were like, oh in like ghost stories and like you know, like just like cool like boyshit, you know, kids stuff. And so we actually hiked around, the three of us to like try to find our spot. And so we seriously found a great spot for our family cemetery. Okay, that was years ago. Then everyone's like, dude, kind of give up them, and I'm like, you're right, it's a little weird. So I moved on from that. So we're driving home, We're like, what the fuck do we do? And Liz said, well, we should call the rabbi. And that's when you realize like, oh yeah, like priests and rabbis like, no matter what you think, times like this is when you realize they serve a really good role in this world, you know. Yes, And so we called Rabbi Folberg, who bar Mitzvah Dorian, who's been part of our lives ever since we moved to Austin, you know, since he was a little baby. So I called Rabbi Folbrog. I'm like, you're not going to believe this. Dorian's dead car crash. And so he introduced me to this funeral director, Mitzi, who is incredible through the process. And so I get on the phone with Mitzi and she's like, oh, Austin's very populated cemeteries. She's like, I'm like, this is kind of weird, but like, have you ever done a family burial, like on people's property? And she's like, oh, I did one in West Texas. Once I said, well, I know this sounds weird, but like I already know I researched this a few years ago and I know that we qualify to do it. She's like, oh, well, that takes like months, you know, to approve for the state to approve something like that, and She's like, but you told me that judge gave you his number and said call him twenty four to seven. He's like, if anyone can make something like this happen, it would be that judge. So it's like, okay, So I called the judge of Hayes County and I said, Judge, it's mister Queller, Dorian's dad. I know, you know this is a little strange, but we can do a family cemetery on our property. I just I never set that up, you know, like it's that is we want to bury him here on the ranch, can we? He said, ah, he said, dude, that takes months. You know. He's like telling me the same thing. He's like, but he said, let me make a call. We'll get back to you. So an hour later, the judge calls me and says, mister Queller, your son was so important of this community. The state of Texas is going to green light this. Just get him into the ground and we'll deal with the paperwork later. And that was the first moment where I felt like I could control something. Because when something like this happens and it shatters you so wide open, it's complete chaos, and it shows you how little control we have over anything, and so for me to be able to call a shot, you know, was like just it was everything in that moment for me. And so then Jewish custom, you know, you're supposed to get the body in the ground pretty quick, twenty four hours. We don't do embalming or anything. You go in a pine box that just you know, goes back into the earth. Very simple, very you know. And so I called Mitzi from the funeral home. I said, and I'm like, well, who who digs the grave? You know? And she's like, well, you really just need someone who can dig. She's like there's a specific measurements. She's like she's rattling off the measure She's like it needs to be like seven feet long, by this and by this depth, you know, real deep. And I was like, I know who I'm gonna call. Bobby Stevens, the dude who moved the house here, who moved the barn here. Yeah, he exactly. So I called Bobby Stevens and word it guy. I mean people knew at this point. This is maybe a two days later or something. And I called Bob, having, Bobby, have you ever dug a grave before? And He's like I can't say I have, but I would for you. And I was like, I just start crying. I'm like, oh, Bobby, I'm like, all right, dude, bring your whatever, your back ho or tractors, you know, your digger, bring it over, you know. And dude, that guy dug the grave. So before you leave, we'll walk over to that spot. I'll show you. So now this is acred land like it already was, but it's like it's like such another level for me to be creative here and like and Dorian was just trying to get home and so we were able to bring him home and he's here so we can go sit with them. You know. We got his picture up over the door. He's always looking down on us and so yeah, he's still with me.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: We'll be back with more from Bankweller. How did you guys as a family process or not process or continue on?
Speaker 2: Well, they say God only gives us the things we can handle. And I believe that. It's really funny, like all the cliches and you find as a father, like you know, it's there's so many cliches you hear, like when you you know, have kids, like oh, someone will tell you you're having your first baby, and they're like, oh, man, savor every moment, and you're like, hey, you know, but like all the cliches are so true. You know, That's what you realize as you get older, right, and just like.
Speaker 1: The priests and rabbis, Yeah, you sometimes lived your life not considering them.
Speaker 2: No, but like actually like not liking them and whatever reason.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, And then you realize there's a moment where you need them, and cliches like tradition in that way, cliches are really this just universal thing glee.
Speaker 2: And so there's that one. You know, someone told us, you know, well, God only gives us things we can handle, and and maybe that's true, and maybe it was always written. You know that Dorian was only going to live to be sixteen. And luckily Liz and I were so strong and our bond with Judah and Judah and Dorian were so close. And my mom has a theory that we choose our parents like that, like you know, before you you're born, you get kind of they're like, hey, you can go to these parents or these parents, and you kind of get your soul gets to decide, and so it's kind of this interesting fun game to kind of think through of, Like, so Dorian souls about to come to earth and they're like, well, so there's this Ben and Liz. You know, the dad's a musician. You always wanted to be a musician and you weren't able to really do it in your past lives. But this one's gonna could be really good for you. Dorian. You're gonna have this little brother, Judah you're gonna really love. But the bummer is you're only going to live to be sixteen, you know, So it's gonna be like a short bang like you know, but dude, you're gonna do so much and you're gonna make such a big impact, and that Judah is gonna be good. Like we're making it where Judah is going to be really strong so he'll be able to handle this. Your parents have already been through dimer tragedies. You know, your mom lost her mom when she was eight. So like that, I like to kind of game that out. It's again, it lets me feel like everything is okay because it was meant to be that way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a really beautiful thought.
Speaker 2: So yeah, how did we handle it?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We just one step at a time, one breath at a time.
Speaker 1: As a musician, How did it impact you creatively?
Speaker 2: So immediately, absolutely zero drive or desire to create anything. That's actually thinking about cliches. That's actually one cliche that's always been false, at least for me, you know, the one where they say, ah, to make good art, you got to be depressed and fucked up, and I may I don't even make art if I'm depressed and fucked up. I actually have to be in a good state of mind. So when this all went down, I'm just on the couch, like we're just mourning and it's so horrible. And so I think it was only you know, maybe a few months later when when song ideas start coming to me and I wanted that music. Songwriting has just been the one thing in my life since I was eight years old. That's been the constant, you know, through everything, and so I was really happy when a melody came to me or a phrase idea or something. I'd walk out to the grave, you know, be like, dude, send me some songs, man, Like, send me some cool ideas. Dude, Like let's keep this going, you know, like let's write a song together, you know. And so I would. I started writing, and so that became this new album which is called Cover the Mirrors, and I call it sort of a moody album, but maybe it's not. I'm really bad at talking about my music. I really know nothing, but to me, it's a moody, sort of down tempo album. There are some rockers and there's some like up tempo things, but generally for me, it's definitely like a somber feeling.
Speaker 1: Do the songs directly deal with your loss.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah, I think they all do. They all definitely to me touch on all the aspects of what I've gone through since losing him. The casual list and you might not hear every reference being like, oh yeah, that's about he lost his son, but it is. You know, still I have most of the same emotions that I did prior to losing him. It's just this big wound in my heart, you know, that's the difference now. But I'm still like the same guy. And talking to other people that lost children has been a great help for me. And there's one guy that I spoke to and he told me something really interesting that was, you know, I hate to tell you this, but but like now you have a superpower. You never wanted it, but you have it now. And what it is is like your normal happiness scale, Like happiness is kind of here up here, and your sadness is like down here. But now your happiness is way up here, but your sadness is way down there. And also your like spectrum band of empathy has just increased. And so like it's like this weird like what you've lost everything, but you've also gained this new superpower. That's always explaining it to me. It's kind of interesting because I feel that, and so it's kind of been fascinating too, like just in the songwriting process too, and just like lyrics and I don't know, they hit differently from me, you know, certain ideas and concepts.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the new album is really it's really beautiful, you know, thank you, not only just the writing, but there's a depth that sonically and in your voice and in the chords and yeah, just anthing to it that's really just sounds gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 1: Would you mind if you're up for playing breaks?
Speaker 2: Whoa Breaks?
Speaker 1: It's one of my favorite songs from it so far. I mean, you know, I'm so.
Speaker 2: Happy you want to hear this one because I've actually never performed it before, so this is the first time to sing this for anybody. This is called breaks.
Speaker 3: When you think about being away from you want to you convince yourself it'll be okay, but it's not being u at first, it's enough, but time makes it.
Speaker 4: It's the breaks. It always breaks a.
Speaker 3: It's the breaks, it always breaks the hard.
Speaker 4: It's the ticks.
Speaker 3: It always takes, feeling that wakes, the moment that the falls a pr Yeah, A word sounds sweet. On the other end of that line, I'm paralyzed by the state arm in lou it's in.
Speaker 4: My mind, my crag.
Speaker 5: Z min crazy haze in mind.
Speaker 3: It's the breaks, it always breaks the hard.
Speaker 4: It's the breaks, it always breaks. The hart. It's the text.
Speaker 3: It always takes, the feeling that at a wakes, the moment that it falls apart. Yeah, walking hotel always like Olympic tracks, shoot after shoot, talking to myself to stop and stretch my back, just boiling for you.
Speaker 4: For two There's absolutely nothing I can do because it's the breaks.
Speaker 3: It always breaks the hart. It's the breaks, it always breaks the hard. It's the takes, it always takes the feeling that awakes the moment.
Speaker 4: That it falls Apard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, same phone call.
Speaker 4: What you do today?
Speaker 5: Cool?
Speaker 3: Gotta go? How could all those hours give us nothing to say? I never know.
Speaker 4: My day.
Speaker 3: Move slow still, they give me nothing. I can't show you. But the breaks it always breaks.
Speaker 4: The harr Yeah, the breaks, it always breaks.
Speaker 5: The harr.
Speaker 4: It's the takes.
Speaker 3: It always takes, the feeling that awakes the moment that it falls. Oh yeah, I want to see the world through your eyes again. Want my friend standing by, Wanna touch a body, Wanna kiss your skin, tuck in, nest on mine, hand on your chest, and cry.
Speaker 4: Cry baby cry.
Speaker 3: It's the breaks, it always breaks, the hard. It's the breaks, it always breaks, the hard. It's the tikes, it always takes, the feeling that awakes the moment day falls apart. It's the breaks, it always breaks. The hard Yeah, the breaks, it always breaks the hard.
Speaker 4: It's the eggs and make you feel the wounds that want to heal.
Speaker 2: From way too much time.
Speaker 7: Apall cry, Babby cry, cry babyaby, cry, cry Babby crying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was really beautiful man, Thank you for requesting that one. That song. It's like it's like the course is already good. With the it's the breaks always break. I mean, I love that.
Speaker 2: I don't even know, like grammatically if it even makes itse like. But so I've like thought this through, you know, because I got called out on a song once. I was hanging out with some friends and William H. Macy was there. Oh I love this guy, legend Yeah, And I played my song Run, and in the chorus of Run, it says, since I I was fifteen, I have ran everywhere you can run, and Macy was like, I don't know if that's correct. Since I was fifteen, I have ran. It's I have run everywhere. But but I have ran sounded so much better than run, do you know what I mean? And so now ever since then, I'm like really think through my lyrics in a different ways. I always think of Macy And so with the breaks, that always breaks the heart. So I'm calling the song breaks b R a k e s like the breaks of a car, you know, like the stopping of it. And then it's those breaks like it's the stops right right that then breaks b our eaks heart. So That's where I'm coming at it from.
Speaker 1: That bit is so loaded, but then it goes somewhere else, and so then it becomes even like this more rich song because it because in the the changes on the it's the takes that I was taken. It's do lyrically, but it takes.
Speaker 2: Changes, takes the feelings that awakes, the moment that it falls apart.
Speaker 1: It's so simple, but it's there's so but it's so.
Speaker 2: It's like this like uh, cathartic. I get into this meditative state on that song, you know, And it's actually it was around the self titled album. I think I was saying, how you know, I was like really like zeroing in on my songwriting in a way, and kind of I felt like on that album, I finally felt like I found I found Ben Kuehler's sound like Run was kind of the beginning of that. But there's this song Penny on the Train Track and thirteen where it's like I just went through this moment where I just kept writing verse after verse and but still with like a poppy chorus.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Breaks is sort of one of those songs where it's just it's definitely a story. You're in the long ride. It's like, Okay, buckle up, this is gonna take a second. I hope that it keeps the listeners attention. I mean, that's another thing, is like I never want anything to be I don't enjoy making overly self indulgent music, you know what I mean, And like I am a firm believer of like don't boris get to the chorus and like, if you're gonna say something like it better be good. So, I mean, I hope that And that's sort of a challenge when I'm writing a song like breaks. I want to take you on a journey, but I like, every word's got to mean something, whether it literally means something or the rhyme of it is interesting enough to just keep you listening, you know. I want it's kind of a fun trick to see if how long I can keep your attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's a great song.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I really I am really flattered that you chose that one for me to play. And this one, now, this one was like a very private song and I even recorded it when no one was here, like I just set up to my and then we built it on top of that vocal and guitar performance the strings. That's another thing about Cover the Mirrors as an album that's different for me from my past albums, is that there is a lot of strings on this album. You know, I've had songs over the years where it's like maybe an album will have like one or two songs that has strings, or you maybe have one ballad with strings. But this one, almost half the album has strings. And it wasn't intentional. I just kept hearing these string parts in my head now looking back, and when I listened to it, there is like this sort of dare I say, like a funeral element, memorial vibe that just because of that sound, I don't know, but I love it. I mean it's really comforting. Also, like the lead violinist on all these tracks as a friend of mine in Austin Warren Hood, the best violinist fiddle player ever, so good.
Speaker 1: You know what's interesting us who talk about or write about music often boil albums down sometimes for finding an easy way to just reference something like that album is this and you just come up with this very But do you do that with your own album?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I like think like Shasha is like okay, that was the opening debut, like a bunch of different types of songs on one like here I Am and I can do like these different things on my Way is just like garage rock. Just right there, band in the room, press record on the tape machine, let it run, do three takes, pick your favorite and move on. Ben Koehler. When that's me playing all the instruments, that was me really layering and going for a very lush sound and just there's a lot going on in the speakers of that one, and then of course changing horses. I think of that that's the country.
Speaker 1: Album, you know, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: I am figure. I mean, this is I guess I'll maybe in a years think of it as like the Dorian album. I mean, because it is. It's the first music I've made since he died.
Speaker 1: So well, I did want to ask to just you mentioned thirteen a couple of times. Yeah, that's that's d Seron's favorite song of yours.
Speaker 2: Ye it is, man, it's so sweet. Ed is obsessed with that song. I think also one of the things he really loves about it is like it's like an anti pop song. There's no chorus to that song, like it really is just verse verse. It was so fun to write that song, and that was I finished it in the studio when I was doing the self titled album. So Gil was there in the control room, I was in the live room. I had the opening phrase, We've been in the rain, We've been on the mountain, We've been around the five And I just kept writing verses, and I had like a sheet of paper for each verse, and I would shuffle him around on the floor and to create eight, What's verse one? What's verse two? And I orchestrated the like I knew that the first verse and the last one. So I knew I was going to end in the taxi when you told me you loved me, and then I wasn't alone. I knew that was it. You got to have your book ends, at least in my mind, that's you know. If I have that, I'm good. And then so I just orchestrated each verse and what number you know, when they appeared. Ed has been a friend now of mine for many years. We met funny enough. It was like a Thursday. I was home, I was here. I got a call from a booking agent and she said, hey, BK, are you in Austin tomorrow Friday? And I said, yeah, I'm around. She said, can you open for Ed Sheeran? And I was like, yeah, I mean I guess so like what happened?
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: She's like, well, the opening act is stuck in Australia something with immigration and like the passport and isn't going to make the show, so can you fill in? And I was like sure. So I showed up to the gig, like I sound checked. I just played solo acoustic and I sound checked, and his crew's like getting the stage going, and there was just one guitar stand and one guitar and I remember asking his crew guys, I'm like, so, where's like all the back line, where's the band? He's like band? What band?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: He just played solo and I was like, oh no, shit, like we're in an arena, you know. And I was like that is so great, Like I love that because I love performing solo, and so many times as an artist you're told like you gotta bring a band on or like Saturday Night Live didn't let Ed play solo on Saturday Night Live because they were like, you gotta have a band. So even Ed had to like get a band just to do Saturday Night Live, you know. But anyway, so I was like good for him. So then anyway, we ended up meeting that night. He came up to me after my set and he was like, dude, and he was like, what do you are You? Can you come to Dallas and open tomorrow in Dallas? And I'm like sure, And so I did Dallas and then he was like, can you do Oklahoma City? And then eventually he was just like, just do the rest of the tour. The other guys can't make it. And so I ended up doing this whole East Coast run with Ed back in twenty fifteen, and so we became close friends. And he called me when him and his wife Cherry were getting married and I was like, mate, can you play thirteen at our wedding as our first dance? I was like, I'd be honored, you know. So we did that and it was really fun, and I just remember in a haze that night during the party him stumbling towards me with Harry Styles and their arms are around each other, and Ed comes up to me. He's like, this has ben fucking quella, Harry. Can you believe that song thirteen that he played earlier? And Harr's like yeah, man, and Ed's like it doesn't have a fucking chorus, and then Harry's like, yeah, wow, like a song without a chorus, Like they were just like loving that, and I love that, you know what I mean, because I mean these are like so two of the biggest pop stars in the world. Like if you don't have a chorus, you're done, you know, Yeah, And I think that's one of the reasons. You know, it's obviously like very heartfelt song and you know, it's like taken straight out of my love life with Liz. And then I think, you know, people like Ed and Cherry can relate with that, and you know other people. But from a technical standpoint, I just loved that he loved that it doesn't have a chorus.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Man. Well, hey man, thank you for having me out and being so generous with your time and with your music, and.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you for having me on Broken Record of course, honor.
Speaker 1: In the episode description, you'll find a link to a playlist of some of our favorite Bank Collor songs, and be sure to check out YouTube dot com slash Broken Record podcast to see all of our video interviews, tunes, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record pot. You can follow us on Twitter at broken Record. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose with marketing help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tolliny. Broken Record is a production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions. And if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. Our theme music's by Kenny Beats. I'm justin Richmond.