Speaker 1: Where you Where are you based, toy, I'm in Portland. Oh cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've heard you want like a bunch of episodes. But I know, I don't feel like I don't know much about you except that's fine. Yeah, that's probably we shouldn't We shouldn't discuss it.
Speaker 3: He's a cipher.
Speaker 1: It's the worst representation of me is me on these episodes, my actual personality. I'm a pretty easy person to get along with of Portland, Oregon.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, it's not Maine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I feel like it's up to the main people to say Maine. Yeah. It's really on them for sure, which.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the case when I was a kid. When I was a kid, everybody, whenever you saw Portland, like in the newspaper or anything like that, it was always Portland, Maine.
Speaker 1: Interesting.
Speaker 2: I was bitter because I was like, I don't know anything about Portland, May and the internet doesn't exist set and I'm convinced that my Portland is cooler.
Speaker 1: You still don't think about Portland, Maine. I have no knowledge of Portland.
Speaker 3: Maine came first your history.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Portland, Oregon was named after Portland, Maine.
Speaker 3: It was a coin flip between Portland, Maine and Boston and for its namesake, and they ended up with Portland and they truse God because I don't think we could have dealt with to Boston.
Speaker 1: The new Boston, slightly newer Boston, I mean, more white Boston.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Boston. They do a lot in common, don't that.
Speaker 1: Yeah you thought this place was fucked up until you go two hours north. It's a new Boston. It's a new Boston.
Speaker 3: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, seventy one, episode two of Stay Just MEO.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd beaker. It is what I did. I' muppeted.
Speaker 3: Production of by Heart Radio. This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness. Now have a YouTube channel YouTube slash at Daily zey As Pod. You can go check out what we look like saying words like this on YouTube. It is Tuesday, January fourteenth, twenty twenty four. My name is Jack O'Brien aka. Thank you for being Zeich gang plumpers would or scat scatterings. Your sky is blue. You're a discord respondent and if you threw a podcast and invited only goofy fools, you would see the aka's would be on me and hashtags attached would say hashtag thank you for being Gang. That one courtesy a house he on Salad on the disc Bard kind of a sweet one.
Speaker 1: That is nice.
Speaker 3: I want to thank you housey on Salad, everybody, all of the zeitgang for being so supportive as Miles and his family are going through it after losing their house in the LA fires. For anyone who's looking for information or just finding out about it, what happened or a way to donate will link off to the GoFundMe. In the description of this episode, it's been really cool to see the TDZ community come together to support them, and well, other than that, I'll leave it to Miles to talk about when he is back, which is probably going to be surprisingly soon because he's he's he's itching to come back and talk to us, you guys, but obviously a lot going on. So I am thrilled to be joined by a very special guest co host, a brilliant comedium writer actors into a special Daddy Long Legs is a must watch. You can go check it out on YouTube. He is the coiner of the phrase plumpers to describe his thighs, so we apologize for that, but please welcome back to the show one of our favorite guest co hosts.
Speaker 1: It's Blake Wexlann. Thank thank you so much for having me. This is Blake Wexler AKA when you spot my wet plump step aside wet ship, Daddy, long legs, all heavy from my thighs, wet ship in Jersey, butt drones on on my mind, wet ship, Blake Wexler means I'm plumping long time. Wow, that was that was from halky On Salad that.
Speaker 3: I prefer valid days and the house on Yeah, yeah, you know what, it's probably, however, said for you to be honest, it's probably halky On. Yeah, that was the person who wrote my AKA. Also and ig it's a correct Oh that's me moments ago.
Speaker 1: Maybe this is a regional really really really.
Speaker 3: Shocked by that. Mike, Blake, thank you for being a friend and for.
Speaker 1: Being It's interesting Miles is coming back so quickly. I was under the impression he wouldn't and then he found out that I might be having an extended guest hosting Yeah yeah, and he was like you, I think I keep apologizing.
Speaker 3: He keeps being I mean, I don't know. I'm so sorry that this is happening. I'm like, no, what are you talking about? He's like, I mean, Blake is the guest. He just bottom Blake and everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah wait I was mentioned first before everything tragedy. Yeah yeah, all right, that's.
Speaker 3: Lake and everything else going on. Blake. We're always thrilled to have you.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 3: I think Miles just has the uh sickness called that dog in him, that grind where.
Speaker 1: He's yeah, just like I saw X rays and it's just a pit bull, just a sure pure beer bread.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Blake. We're thrilled to be joined in our third seat by one of our favorite guests, a brilliant anti racism educator, activist, writer, and creator of the acclaimed podcast White Homework. It's Tory Williams.
Speaker 2: Dougwa Hi, guys, thanks for having me. It's been like not that long.
Speaker 3: I'm not very flattery.
Speaker 2: I got invited back. Goodn't ridden smiles. That's awful. I will never I love Miles.
Speaker 3: That was the quickest heard someone go from saying something horrible jokingly to uh, yeah, I would never.
Speaker 1: Who's never.
Speaker 2: I'm not not to Miles. I would to other people. Yeah, of course, yeah Jack, Yeah, Jack's kitchen strays for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: That's all the horrible things I've said about Miles recently, you know what I mean. Like, it's just the amount of shit I've talked on that guy behind his back and.
Speaker 2: To his face, just in public on podcasts. Yeah, I mostly just talked about Miles. It's most of my social media. Yeah, editor, editor.
Speaker 3: Oh, so many letters to the editor, Tori. How's it going up in Portland?
Speaker 2: It's going it's uh, you know, just mostly sitting here in the dark and the cold, feeling really bad for everyone in LA honestly. Yeah, my sister's down there. She thankfully didn't have to evacuate, but it was it was touch and go for a minute. So yeah, yeah, I'm just trying to like check in on all my people and you know, do what I can. But yeah, there's like I don't feel like there's anything going on in Portland compared to like there's snow in Atlanta and like La is still burning and I'm just kind of sitting here, like how can I be helpful right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Atlanta gets those like every every once in a while, they get a snowstorm and like you hear the stories of people's cars being trapped on the highway for like three days. And I lived in Kentucky for a while and when there was any snow on the ground, it was like I mean, I mean the horses skidding around out there. No, we had cars, but the yeah, it just they they were not prepared. They had one truck that had just a you know, olive garden salt shaker that they would roll in the window and just sprinkle on the roads.
Speaker 1: That people with huge forearms just cranking salt into the road. There was I was in Minneapolis once for stand up and they had they were like, oh, tomorrow we're going to get three to four feet of snow. And I'm like, all right, well I'm fucked. We're not gonna be able to get anywhere. And it's just nothing, nothing of them. Yeah, yeah, it's nothing, completely nothing.
Speaker 3: It will tunnel. They will build a city through tunnels of snow just to yeah, they did, it matters not to them. And then uh, and then some people are trying to build an entire like snow removal apparatus, like it's the first they've heard of snow. Every time it snows there.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get on this now.
Speaker 3: What is the Oh right, I've heard tell of this, I've heard tell of winter. Yeah, all right, toy, We're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First we're going to tell the listeners.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back a break.
Speaker 3: Sorry, A couple of things are talking about, just taking a look ahead. A couple of stories that are happening this week. Pete Hegseth's confirmation hearing I guess is starting today, It's probably happening around the time you're listening to this, So just look at the stakes of that. And also the TikTok band is I don't know. I don't have a ton. I haven't done the deep dive research into that one yet to know why it's going to happen. But it feels more and more like it's going to happen that TikTok is going to be banned within the month. So we'll talk about that. We'll check with Matt Gits at his new job being a ivermectin pitch man on one of the channels is like two right wing for Fox News.
Speaker 1: Get to see you landed on his feet, Yes, exactly. He's doing so well.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about the business of prosecuting Trump. The bad weekend to be in the Trump prosecuting business. We'll talk about that. We will talk about Lake Superior State University's list of banished words, words that they think we need to get rid of. All of that plenty more. But first, Tory, we do like to ask our guest, what is something from your search history.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to find books about the history of the Panama Canal because of Trump obviously.
Speaker 3: What is happening? Can you fill me in on that? Like he wants it back?
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, So, like the French started it, Well there's a long history, but like the French made them most progress in like the eighteen late eighteen eighties, and then they gave up on it because they were killing too many people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like, we're actually really good at We're good at this neighbor that kills people. You're not our thing. We fight fires in the year twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, perfect, this is like we have the perfect plan, you guys. We have so many disposable people.
Speaker 3: For human lives and a problem like we're nineteen thirties of Russia. Don't don't mind us. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So then we came along, you know, like ten fifteen years later, like nineteen oh four to nineteen fourteen or something somewhere around there, and like finished the work, right, we did what friends couldn't do. Shocker, that's wow, I love it. I'm coming while listen.
Speaker 3: I like a joke that would be at home on this podcast and the Joe Rogan experience.
Speaker 1: Finally, thank you guys, figured out your format.
Speaker 2: This is our niche okay, and yeah, so we like we got in there, we did the job, and so Americans are like this is our obviously, like we own this shit. Panamon didn't love that, you know, but we were like we were in our like expansionist empire era, right, and so we were like, well, fuck you, we're the US, like we are going to keep it. So fast forward several decades and Carter gives it back, or he plans to give it back. He signs a treaty and is like, in twenty years, we'll give this back to you. It'll be yours. And Reagan real pissy. That was something he ran on was getting the fucking Panama Canal back, right, which is hysterical to me and yeah, but it was like the treaty wasn't even set to go into a fact until nineteen ninety nine. It didn't. That's when they got the canal back. I think they deserve it, after all of the people we killed, et cetera.
Speaker 3: It was there people. It wasn't like the resident was like, well, I have some friends and family members who I could send down there to help build this thing. It was that Panama Pah, Okay, got it.
Speaker 2: I mean Theodore Roosevelt had some disposable men. I'm sure not for that, not for that job.
Speaker 3: Yeah and yeah.
Speaker 2: So now I'm just like, okay, I feel like I'm missing some pieces here because Trump is now like on this ship about we need we need to get it back because we're getting a bad deal. They're charging us too much, China's taking it over. He never, I mean, nothing he says ever made sense. And so it's hard to know, like you're playing whack a mole, and it's hard to know like where the prize is going to be, like what the purpose.
Speaker 3: Is, right, and just throwing a flurry of somewhat contradictory ideas out there to see what.
Speaker 2: Is going to see what?
Speaker 3: Because once, like the truth is no longer a concept that like holds any water in a human and then now consequently in the entire country. Like what's the point of having a coherent story? Why not just do a word cloud of reasons and then just be like, yeah, whichever one of these like gets the biggest because people click on it, We'll go with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, pretty much. So that's kind of that's kind of where we are, and I am like, I just I need some more information, so I'm trying to find because the Panama Canal used to be really fucking sexy, Like it was like one of the coolest things, and it was like considered like one of the modern wonders of the world or whatever. Like people were so proud of that shit. So when Carter gave it back, I think a lot of like real Americans were very upset.
Speaker 3: Right, we were real Americans as opposed to these fake ass people who.
Speaker 2: Are havy, like, yeah, all the mind virus lives that uh pahou. Yeah, Panama should be a sovereign country and not just like something we kind of own and treat poorly. So yeah, whatever.
Speaker 3: It is pretty impressive when you look at the Panama Canal and like watch it operate. Like that's one of those things that I could like, I'm sure I've seen it on like sixty minutes or something like sixty minutes, Like.
Speaker 1: They sixty Minutes loves the Panama.
Speaker 3: Oh they'll show you how the Panama Canal. Yeah, really shit. They have like a story that vaguely includes shipping, and they're just like, we went down to the Panama Canal and there's.
Speaker 1: Bob Woodward lurking around near that little fucking mode again.
Speaker 3: And fed some very specifically worded statements to the people we interviewed there. So the canal is kind of a work of art. You could say the Canal is kind of a work of art. I would say this house sixty minute interview has always got it's always.
Speaker 1: Not it's just weird. I am Bic pantamone.
Speaker 3: It's just wild that they show themselves feeding the statements to the people.
Speaker 1: It's like, I don't feel that way at all. Stop saying that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well I want them to know I came up with that ship.
Speaker 1: It was the Suez that got jammed up during COVID, Right, that's.
Speaker 3: Trouble in the Suz. Yeah, yeah that I am yeah, yeah, any piece of twentieth century history. I am scanning my memory of the lyrics to we Didn't Start the Fire, trying to figure out and.
Speaker 1: It's aged, well, it holds you should ready, that's a great there's lyrics. Why I read this Panama Canal book when you just know everything for that song.
Speaker 2: I'm on the zeitgang. I'm on the discord. If you know of a book about the Panama Canal that I should read, please hit me up. I would I'd need that. I'm struggling. There's not very many. It's not sexy anymore, so people aren't writing about it quite as much.
Speaker 1: It used to be. In the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated, the front cover was just the pan Book Canal so sadly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Theodore Roosevelt in a little speedo.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with a shovel and.
Speaker 2: The little hat.
Speaker 3: Okay, blow, no way, what else? That's how I found out, By the way, it's such a such a rough way to find out that.
Speaker 1: I hadn't heard anything from it.
Speaker 3: I loved live the first nine years of my life wondering where the hell that guy was. What tory is something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: So I think Spring equinox is underrated. Obviously, we're like in January. So I'm just I'm just feeling, like, you know, New Year's Eve. I love I love me a good New Year's party. Like, don't get me wrong, I'm like, I don't I don't go as hard as some people, but I like, I like it, but it's not a great time for starting your New Year's resolutions. And I've been saying this for a couple of years, and apparently TikTok recently found out about it, and they're like, guys, you guys, did you know that, like spring equinox is actually when the new year started for like most people, for most of the time.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, it's.
Speaker 2: Like this is when you should start your new journey, is in like New Year knew me. That's not going to happen in the dead of winter, Are you fucking kidding me? Like, come on, You're supposed to do it in the springtime when you're like not constantly sick or like caring for a sick loved one or needing to sleep twelve hours because it's dark for seventy two hours a day. Like, let's change this up and do our New Year's resolutions in the spring, so I'm trying to get people on board with that. That's where that's great, That's where I'm at. I don't start stuff in the dead of winter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not cool, if anything, double down on old like bad habits.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, totally. You get your little you get your whiskey or whatever your little drink is, and you just whisky. Find Yeah, find, find a new hobby that you can do while sitting on your ass in front.
Speaker 3: Of a fire, soaking wet January instead of dry January.
Speaker 2: I am doing dry January, but that's different. Yeah, I mostly just I mostly don't drink the first half of the year. To be honest, I say up for the backup so I can party under your's eap and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, visible alcohol vapor is coming off of May January.
Speaker 1: I'm late to work.
Speaker 2: Sorry, just sober up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it makes makes sense. I've been doing a dry January for a while now. What Tori is something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: Well, I never would have said this before as a two online person myself, but I'm going to say social media at this point, it's just like going down the tubes and I don't know what to do.
Speaker 3: We just don't get the Internet is made out of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the glass tubes that make up the Internet are yeah, now filling with.
Speaker 3: Ship inside the Internet looks like crypt on. You know, it's just like glass tubes everywhere, very beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's like filling with actual human.
Speaker 3: Ship, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you can look at it. I think that's which was beautiful.
Speaker 2: That's the really yeah, yeah, that's the really beautiful part about it. Now, I'm I'm a little bit confused about why Zuch wants Meta to stop making money, and it's just like, let's do what Elon Musk is doing when he lost all of his money on Twitter by making it a cesspool. So yeah, I guess I'm just like rip social media this week is how I'm feeling.
Speaker 3: It's been bad man, following the the fires and then like keeping one eye on social media and the way that Twitter platforms and like gives extra extra juice to like people who are you know, saying the wildest shit possible. It's really I've had the same exact thought, is like, I know it's too late, I know the genies out of the model, but this is a bad way, Like this is fundamentally worse than media, the legacy media. Legacy media was bad. This is watching people try and blame the fires on the poorest among us when that's like the opposite of the truth has been so incredibly frustrating, And it's just it's not just the people saying it, it's that the when they say it, it gets an incredible boost because it's like, oh, that appeals to what people hope is happening, because everybody's to a certain extent bought into capitalism and like the way America is currently organized, so people like hope that they can blame it on like a few unhoused people. And then every response, like anyone who contradicts that in the comments is just gets no energy behind it. And everybody who comes up yes and with like some even less founded a rumor gets so much It's just like all of the worst possibilities of social media are now how the information economy has run during a huge crisis.
Speaker 1: You know, yep, it's I picked this is this first part is not a cool thing that I did. But we were at a bar watching like football the other day, and like people were having drinks. There's some asshole like sitting at the table next to me, just just a piece of ship. And he went to the bathroom. I had a few drinks and I like grab grabbed his phone and started looking through his Twitter account, which is not a thing that you like, that was not cool that I did that, But this.
Speaker 3: Is actually satire. He didn't actually do this.
Speaker 1: Right, right, yeah, but but but I did. And and it was like I've never seen a person on the rights algorithm I guess before, like in person, And it was all like cyber trucks coming to the rescue in shit, like Elon has sent fleets of cyber trucks, and there's nothing about like incarcerated people fighting fires, you know, like actually the actual toll like and it was so scary I just put the phone. It was scarier than that guy. Like then, that guy was such an asshole. And I'm like, his phone was I think a manifestation of his his head and it was just so messed up. So to your point, social media is bad for us, and we have stuff that's as close to what we agree with as possible, and it's still a disaster. It's still the worst thing in the entire world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And also like people everybody is dealing like it has a version of social media that is like shaped around them. And so even if what you believe is true, now that we live in a world that is so formed by this, everybody can just be like, yeah, well that's just like what the people you follow think, Like everything's just relative and nothing is true, and yeah, I don't know why this particular, Like for a long time, I feel like it's been fashionable to just be like, it's not the Internet's fault. It's like all the political forces and you know, the class consciousness, lack of class consciousness, and I'd say, yes, all of that, and the also social media is really fucking poisonous right now, and I don't know where that's gonna change. I don't know. Maybe Zuck is going to turn back to his old personality.
Speaker 2: Which one?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which version?
Speaker 2: Which update was that?
Speaker 3: The fighter one? The which one? I consider this the fighter usc is?
Speaker 1: What the it was barbecue sauce Zuckerberg when he was just recorded like a twenty minute video on Sweet Baby Rays Sauce. Do you remember that it was one of the weirdest things I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he like, I think this all started like first started when he started getting really into smoked meats and and like, yeah, he had a video where he said smoked meats like thirty five times. And then he had a video talking about sweet baby rays, which I think is like widely available at Kroger, right, Like that's just a video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they have it playing.
Speaker 3: In every that's right. But anyways, bad times in some places and good times than others, as people continue to help one another on a like human to human basis. It's just the big institutional you know, the things that encounter humans as like values on a spreadsheet to move around and manipulate, are doing their worst work yet the most successfully they've done it. But the people continue to be good and help each other when when they can, when they're not being moved by those big forces. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we're back, and let's talk about the two worst guys, two of the worst guys that Trump nominated for to control major parts of the world. First, Pete Haigsath his confirmation hearing to be what is it Secretary of Defense. That's a big one, right, that's a pretty up there. So he was nominated to be Secretary of Defense. A bunch of stories immediately flooded out from people who had worked with him, both sides of the you know, former military people existing, current military people, not like left wing journalists doing like hit pieces, just anybody who's encountered him being like his mom, Yeah, his mom for instance, talking about you know, instances of sexual assault, racism, open alcoholism on par with like a cartoon alcoholic, like like having to be carried out of places constantly. Like the only thing that's lacking is like he never, as far as I've been able to find, and I've looked into it, he never hiccupped a bubble that then carried him away into the sky. But everything else that like a cartoon drunkard does.
Speaker 1: The thing he drinks out of just has xes on a big jug, a big jug of xes.
Speaker 3: Fortunately, he did promise to stop drinking if he gets the job. I love that that. That's always worked anytime somebody's had a substance, for sure.
Speaker 1: You know, this thing has a that has a complete hold over me and my life that I also love to do. Apparently we'll just stop doing it if I get this really important job. Cold turkey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, anyways, his so at first it seemed like he might go the way of Matt Gates, who are about to get to who you know, had to be withdrawn as a nominee for Attorney General, and but then they were like, not too, that would make President Trump look bad. So we can't. We can't let two of them go down.
Speaker 2: So suddenly they're going to make him go through with it and take all the heat.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, and he is going to get confirmed. Like that's something that I feel like has been missing from a lot of the coverage of this. At least I'll just give the full context. I think. I think there's been like there hasn't been somebody who got to this stage where you're doing like Senate confirmation hearings and was not confirmed since I think George W. Bush's administration, Like and that like there's a lot of cabinet members who are who go through this process and they're batting a thousand since George W. Bush's administration. Like, once you get to this point, it's really hard to stop the peak train, which is I don't know, like the way it's being reported is like this guy's like a an underdog and it's like, no, it would be shocking. I mean, it would obviously be deserved if he got found not able to do this job, because it seems like everybody who like took a objective look at him, like, including Republicans, were like, whoa, no, no, no, no, no, god, God, what is it? Senator?
Speaker 1: He should be on trial, like not a confirmation hearing, should be sentenced.
Speaker 3: I guess the one thing that you know you can take some sauce in is like, yes, it's very uncommon for people to not be confirmed by the Senate. H Granted, he is an uncommonly bad nominee, like just truly everybody you know, the people who are currently backing him like he is the best pick possible. When they were told about it, were like, who the fuck is that? WHOA what the guy from Fox News who says stuff that is like controversial for Fox News is going to lead the fucking US military. But yeah, so he's an unprecedentedly bad pick. The Republicans are unprecedentedly on board with the Trump cult. So I'm personally not on the edge of my seat over here. But I don't know what how are you guys feeling?
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like it's good to remember that Trump had a ninety two turnover eight for his first term. So he said, isn't gonna last even if he gets confirmed. Crazy, you know, like, I just, I just I think he's going to be one of the first to go. I think you're right, it probably will get confirmed because I feel like they are. They are kind of in that panic mode of like, oh, we can't lose another we can't let another ship go down here, right. But I think that it's so Pete's energy is so antithetical to like top brass military to me that I don't think I think those people are going to have a hard time taking him seriously.
Speaker 1: Right, you want to know he wants to be trusted with military secrets, A full blowocol just a cartoon drunk like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it has to be carried from place to place. I mean yeah, I will say it does. Reading history books. A lot of the military brass themselves like also, yeah, stiff drink.
Speaker 2: In self medicated. I think a lot from some trauma. Let's say right.
Speaker 3: Right, Rant was had a dry Yeah yeah, it was like yeah, like this guy he doesn't try to stop drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's just like us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I will say, you know, Trump's first administration, he didn't think he was gonna win, didn't really want the job, it seemed like at first, and so he wasn't like making picks that would be a fit for him, Like as we talked about, like his first administration was a group of people around him basically trying to insulate the world from how bad a president he was. And now he's nominating these people who are seen as bad picks because they will do the sorts of shit that Trump will ask them to do. So I don't know that it will be like that quick a turnover. I like it will, I hope, So I hope it's as like it's going to be incompetent. But is it going to be incompetent just from a like what it does to the world, or will it be incompetent in the sense that like nobody can agree with one another and everybody keeps getting fired and quitting like the first time around, which would be by far the preferred outcome. But it does just seem like they're at least a little bit more like that because his choices are coming from loyalty, like that being the only value that.
Speaker 1: He's doing qualification.
Speaker 3: I do wonder if like he's going to be like as these people are ending the world, like he's he's going to be happy as a clan because you know, they're doing what he told him to do.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that yeah, that reminds me that like heg Seth is connected to this like cultist preacher out here my way. He's actually in Idaho, Doug Wilson, Oh, oh yeah, who's in Moscow, Idaho and is just like a really horrible person but like has a lot of his theology is pretty fucked up. Like he's very he's like very like misogynistic as like a point of like as like a theology, as like a theological point. But also like the Bible is pro slavery, So I am pro slavery. Like that's how fucked up this dude is. So he like says these things out loud, and like this is the dude that like heg Seth considers to be like a spiritual mentor or whatever. So like I'm not I'm not saying I'm not scared. I'm very scared because like the influences in Hegseeth's life that he's chosen are malicious people who want to harm others. Yeah, you know, like like even setting like the Trump loyalty piece aside, like he has these really sort of horrific influences that he's chosen, clearly chosen to have in his life, and so you know, I think that like he could potentially do a lot of damage. But he also he's just not He's he doesn't have any of the like law and order energy that I feel like the military sort of expects, right, which seems weird. See, he just doesn't feel like a fit in the culture to.
Speaker 1: Me, I agree. I think maybe that's the reason. I mean, none of this will work out. Well, he will be confirmed, but to try to be optimistic while there's still a brief window to be optimistic that he won't. I think that so it's no one being confirmed or sorry, everybody being confirmed since George W.
Speaker 3: Bush.
Speaker 1: I think also my hope is that yes, he's the least qualified, event he's the worst candidate, but also it's very in your face how bad he is and how off I mean, even his energy, even if we're like reaching for that too, where he's on TV constantly, so it's not like you have to read an article to be like, hey, is this guy a piece of shit? Like you can just watch him pretty quickly. Yeah, And so I wonder if maybe that because of how readily available his whole image is. And I mean still no, because he's been nominated. Everybody knows that he's been nominated, so he'll still probably be confirmed. But I do wonder if now because that stuff is so much more obvious that I guess, like, what's the difference between him and Gates is that people actually the Gates was a pedophile, you know, like is that where we're drawing the line at this point? Maybe that was it?
Speaker 3: Like yeah, I think it was the like the Gates report, which I feel like people have really kind of metabolized and moved forward with pretty pretty quickly, was like, yeah, he was paying for sex with children so for for like a number of years, and doing and doing drugs. Yeah, I mean I wonder how much of it is also like drugs instead of alcohol, you know, where like alcohol, that's what that's what we expect our legal Like Nixon was hammered for most of his presidency. Yeah, but to your point, like his kind of weird youth and like right wing influencer Groyper shit, like it feels like a really bad version of like First Kid is First Kid the one where like a kid is present or is that just like the son of I.
Speaker 1: Forget which son of First Kid.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, where it's just like what if this guy, no no rule, says a Fox News host, can't be president, you know, you can't be head of the military. Anyways, I need to go back. And if I seem distracted, it's because I'm trying to read the plot synopsis of First Kid and it you're always yeah, that's right, all right, just really quickly. Over the weekend, I think I think some people were still waiting for this, this outcome to be better news. Because Trump had his sentencing hearing for you know, he's a convicted felon now because he broke election laws in order to and and regular laws in order to be elected president first time around, a like water Gate level scandal that people just now taken stride. So the judge, Judge Juan Merchan's sentence came down and it was a quote unconditional discharge, which legal experts have pointed out is quote virtually nothing in terms of punishment end quote, which were the terms that I was interested in. The punishment terms was kind of what I was looking for. In those terms, could we get one. It turns out no, you cannot have a punishment because he is about to be president and the idea like he might be president from fucking jail, dude, Yeah, was never going to happen. Because of the way power and money work in this country.
Speaker 1: One of those phones like him, you know, doing press conferences through the little phone in the glass is just not yeah feasible.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, because he's too cheap and those things cost a shitload of money to private equity. That's actually true. The private equity industry took over those phone systems and like charge you like five dollars a minute to talk to your loved ones from prison, or you.
Speaker 1: Could fight a fire. It's up to you. You want to talk through a phone, you can fight one of the most interous fires.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Meanwhile, Jack Smith handed in his report and then promptly resigned from the Department of Justice. Uh so you know is that true? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh god, this is so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, that's what it reminded me of. Well, Trump was like, I'll fire him within fifteen seconds of taking office, so he knew he was gonna get fired. It's still like I don't know take the firing man like, like nobody was surprised by this, considering the Trump said he would fire him within seconds of taking office. But remember like the first administration, when the first big national scandal was that he was willing to fire Komy because Kme was investigating him. Like it was like at first it was like he fired Komy and Komy's investigating him, that sure looks suspicious. And then he like went on an interview with Lester Holt and was like, yeah, I fired him because he was investigating me. I didn't like that too much, right, and everybody I still remember that being like the most like everybody was so outraged and like holy shit, like this is we finally got him, right, like this is he just admitted to doing the most illegal thing and then it was just like further like just made pointless by like a thousand more awful things he did right after that.
Speaker 1: He's tall and annoying. What am I supposed to do? He's tall and he keeps fucking looking into my things? But yeah, would you want someone like that working for you?
Speaker 3: But now people like preemptively fire themselves because there's no chance of there being any sort of outrage on behalf of like him fireing, so it would just be like a web for him.
Speaker 2: I would still want I would still want to be like, yeah, Trump fired.
Speaker 3: Me, Like yeah, I don't know. I feel like a person.
Speaker 2: With integrity would have a great reason to be like, yeah, I fucking got fired by Trump. Give me a book deal, Like I feel like you could get something out of it, you know. And he was just like, oh, okay, I'm.
Speaker 3: Scared by report. Hey look over there.
Speaker 2: You can't fire me. I quit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. It's just a petty thing. As for the report, which is supposedly pretty damning for anybody who doesn't isn't already accustomed to just like imagining the worst possible thing and then that thing being true and then nobody giving a shit. Merrick Garland has been trying to release part of it publicly, but it's being held up by Trump's co defendants, who are saying, like, you know, they still might go to trial, and they can't like release this report because it would be prejudicial against a jury that might eventually decide their fate. So interesting, So people are just saying Garland should drop the cases all together since Trump's about to take office and that will free him to release the report anyways, or you know, who knows what Trump will do with it. But bad weekend for anything approaching justice in general, especially with regards to this administration. But there is that cool Mark Zuckerberg Joe Rogan interview, so we can can all look at that.
Speaker 1: And you can, and if you listen to it multiple times, you hear new things each time. I found when you listen to it, So yeah, it's not a one and done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't have a lot of time.
Speaker 2: I got to listen to it on like two point five speeds, so I miss a lot actually, so that I understand. Go back and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Torri, we just met each other. You seem like someone who would love to listen to it.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take notes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be. It's easier for notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mm hmmmm. He was talking about like the feminization of the workforce or something. I don't know he really was. Yeah, Zuckerberg, that's like what his whole thing. He's just like fully been replaced by a maga chug like it's wild. I wonder. Yeah, I saw people speculating as to whether he's getting divorced. I am curious how that's all going over in his household. Brutal anyways, brutal for him. I worry about their relationship.
Speaker 1: I know, brutal for the sanctity of marriage. That's what I was talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that, that theory is like, oh, his wife, a billionaire, is going to be so mad at him.
Speaker 1: I don't know, probably haven't seen him in two years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've stopped counting on billionaires to have normal human emotions. Let's uh, let's take a quick break because I want to tell you guys about Lake Superior State University's words banished words list and all. Also tell you that Lake Superior State University is a real university, which I didn't know.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, if you say so, Jack.
Speaker 3: We'll take a quick break. We'll actually look into that. We'll be right back and we're back and all right. So I'm on the website for Lake Superior State University and the headline is superior education, superior experience, Superior you. So they are really leaning into that, well.
Speaker 2: Too hard, that's too much of a lean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need to back up a little bit. What is the thing that we have going for us more than any other University. The fact that we have superior in the title.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I was waitelisted here, but go ahead Lake Superior.
Speaker 3: Anyways, they do have a good editorial gimmick. Though we have that show on our network. This is a important with the cast and creator the show Workaholics, and they talk about this board that they had in the writer's room for Workaholics that was a list of like retired like jokes to banish huh, including uh, he's right behind me, isn't he? Like that's the one that I always remember, like people like saying something really bad, like bad about somebody and then everybody looking at them and then going, he's right behind me, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I want to show that's just that, Like that's just the like the most like gat out. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But so Lakespeare or State University has that for the English language. Basically they twenty they have their twenty twenty five list of banished words, words that need to go away. This, truly, Lakespeare State University could just be a blog with like one good gimmick. I truly, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I feel like it might be a degree mill. I'm just saying, like that name is thrown me off.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that phrase before. I love that.
Speaker 2: A degree mill, yeah yeah, yeah, like a pay for your degree situation and you just get a little print out, You're like a PDF, and you print it out and you put it on your wall in your office. It's perfect.
Speaker 3: A lot of times people have gone to degree mills don't have not heard that phrase blake, so oh shit. They try and keep that one out of your vocabulary when you're going there.
Speaker 1: That's funny. I do remember Emerson College offered a course called Monsters, the actual class at By College, so yeah, maybe that was a degree mill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just you just watched Monsters, Inc. And then Monsters University and.
Speaker 1: I minored, and Mike was asking, all.
Speaker 3: Right, I do want to read through the list, see if there's any in here that we want to back co sign. So some of this just seems like older people being like, I don't like the way young people talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For instance, cringe is the number one banished word. I feel like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm voting to keep personally. Yeah, it's just fine whatever, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Fun is overused, maybe like eighty percent less use, but it's fine.
Speaker 1: Fine.
Speaker 3: Game changer. I don't know why now, like right, it's not a new term. This is not a new term. It's probably overused, so let's reduce. I would lobby for a seventy percent use reduction on game changer, and that's the way out. Yeah, I feel like, yeah, maybe ninety percent use reduction when it comes to people working in tech and finance.
Speaker 2: Crypto bros.
Speaker 3: Yeah, era as in I'm in my flop era.
Speaker 2: She you know the era is just a word, and are using it correctly? Like what it's okay?
Speaker 3: Sure, I think I think this one's fine. I don't. I don't. I don't need this to be removed. I'll allow era to continue dropped for something being released. I don't need that one to go, if you know, you know, I don't need that one to go. Now we're getting into the territory where I kind of I have one foot in with Lake Superior State University. Sorry not sorry? Is I never feel good when this one's used. I feel like I think this can go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's right, like the cell by date was many years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and it's generally just used for rude behavior. Yeah, you know, it's it's like yeah, sorry, sorry, not sorry, I sworn in front of your grandmother. You know it's like, okay, well that's yeah, a little bit, a little bit rude, yeah, or something that you don't apologize for. Sorry, not sorry, I have an allergy.
Speaker 3: It's a close relative to somebody being like I am not racist at all.
Speaker 2: But you know it's like, yeah, that's good point.
Speaker 3: So sorry, not sorry. I've never liked I would be fine to see that one go. We're gonna we're gonna treat this list as you've nominated some potentials Lakespire State University. We'll we'll tell you which one actually works. I think that's gonna win personally. Sorry. Up next to skibbity, which is like a thing that eight year olds say, you can't you can't come in and be like eight year old shouldn't say this is stupid because that they're right up here. This viral word may have resonated with a younger crowd, but for many it is just noise. That just means you're old. That just means like, I don't like when people are talking about skibbity shit, but like that that's just like kids, yes, just your kids.
Speaker 2: Like nobody is saying skibbity to me except my children.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's a children's thing, and this is not how language works. You can't be like, stop saying this kids. Nobody cares about a skibbity toilet, skibbity fizz or skibbity ohio phantom tax at this point, this is a direct quote. At this point, nobody even knows what it means, and it just annoys people. I think you're using people as a stand in for yourself.
Speaker 1: I don't know what about I've never heard it before. I don't I don't have kids, but maybe yeah.
Speaker 2: You don't mean to you don't need to hear it. It doesn't it doesn't matter. I don't know. But like, kids are obsessed with it. But yeah, like skibbity toilet s givvy ohio like, and my and my kids still have It's been around for years at this point. My kids still fight over what it means. What's the definition of skibby interesting?
Speaker 3: And that's how you know it's hard?
Speaker 2: Uh huh, Yes, it is, yeah for five year olds.
Speaker 3: And I also know it needs to stick around because when Blake just admitted that he didn't know what it meant, I felt so much superiority over him.
Speaker 2: The only reason I know anything now is because I have a twelve year old yeah right, and that's my only connection to the youth.
Speaker 1: I live near a school, and when recesses, I just open up my windows so I can hear new words.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and immediately told the.
Speaker 2: Neighbors are like Jesus Christ, who is this guy who's watching our kids?
Speaker 1: Every recess is watching.
Speaker 3: Just one of those big ear horns. All right, this one. I agree with the sentiment. This is one that I have noticed over the past year. It can't be fully banished, but people saying one hundred percent when they agree with something one hundred percent, oh my god, or one thousand percent as like I've heard conversations where that's all people say back like back and forth, just repeatedly, just peppering other people's statements with one hundred one thousand percent and then thus and then returning the.
Speaker 1: Favor it's two thousand percent, three three thousand percent. I do say one hundred percent a lot. And this sucks. This is worse than you knowing the other words skibbitty. This is you feel called out. Yeah, yeah, well I feel helped actually, like I feel like this is a good note, Like, I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I use it that often. Honestly, I'm thinking of like all the economists who like can't do their jobs anymore because we're canceling one hundred.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't bet. I've never heard that dynamic of like people just sitting and saying one hundred percent back and forth to each other. That feels like I don't listen to Joe Rogan. That feels like a Joe Rogan day.
Speaker 3: One, one hundred percent suck one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Oh god, Okay, maybe I'm anti one hundred percent and I didn't know it until Yeah.
Speaker 3: Again, it can't be fully banished. We need one hundred percent for my spelling tests. Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Otherwise we don't have all the percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah exactly. But I agree that this should be flagged for people, for for people who need help not leaning on the same phrases over and over again, like maybe make yourself your own workaholics writer's room cliche board and just keep an eye on it. You don't need to stop using it one, but you can say I agree, maybe say totally agree. I concur right. First, I like to I like to shorten for sure to fursh and for other people like it too, that's a lie. They don't sure.
Speaker 1: Other people like it to the most defensive person.
Speaker 3: Everybody likes it when I do that. The last two kind of song utilize what what are you talking about about? I get that use works just as well, but it's it's kind of up there with like game changer as a thing that's used too often in business speak. And also cops. I feel like love to use at that time that I utilized my taser.
Speaker 2: To oh yeah, cops writing reports.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, sorry, not sorry, but I utilized myser.
Speaker 3: And a child. And then period, point blank period.
Speaker 2: I still like period.
Speaker 3: Period.
Speaker 1: I fucked with period, like, yeah, it's a good way to not let the other person speak after you've said something, you know that's helpful. Yeah, say something, say period and then they don't get to.
Speaker 2: Talk, no follow ups.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, I period.
Speaker 2: God, this list reminds me of all of the like these are the remember all the blogs that were like these are the words we're canceling this year from like two thousand and four on like MySpace probably MySpace era of like all basically and it was just essentially all of the like ave and like youth general slang, and they were like, we're not using any of these anymore. And it's like that's not how language works.
Speaker 3: Interesting, you've chosen those particular words. Uh.
Speaker 2: But it was like that was like a yearly thing like end of the year. That was what they did for the wrap up, was like here's all the work terms were canceling. This was before we said canceling that way. But yeah, that's that was the energy of it. And I'm just like, why are why this is a twenty year old format? Like what are you trying to bring this back?
Speaker 1: This makes me wish I attended this school. I think that's the biggest takeaway from this is I'm like, all right, if this is the kind of research this university is doing, then I wouldn't be involved.
Speaker 2: Do they have like do they have like undergrad like because isn't this a way to just make all of your students constantly say cringe araage wrist drops, Well they're in class, Like, I don't know. I feel like kids when you tell them not to do a thing, like to do that thing because yeah, you didn't give them a reason not to. It's not hurting anybody. I don't know.
Speaker 3: O great, I'm looking back through their archives. By the way, this is on a list of Lake Superior State University traditions, along with the snowman burning.
Speaker 2: That okay, sounds interesting.
Speaker 3: I'm uncorn questing. So those are the two unicorn questing, snowman burning, and a witch word vanishing. Yeah, so this tradition a tradition unlike any others, goes back to nineteen seventy nine. But it does feel like a lot of the stuff is just right, like cliches for writers to look out for, like last year's wait for It side hustle is. It's just like trendy things young people say, slay to your point where they're like, we don't like it. It makes us feel uncomfortable. Don't don't talk about slaying. That's that's weird. We don't know anybody who actually uses this, We've just heard of people using it.
Speaker 2: So I also feel like it's kind of antithetical for a university to say certain words shouldn't be used, like, I don't know if.
Speaker 3: This is any other university toy, i'd agree, but Lake Superior State University, I feel like we can we can count on them to be the arbiters of sure, yeah, we two and aren't allowed. Twenty twenty two, they tried to tried to retire. Wait what, that's just a thing.
Speaker 1: Your heart here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a clarifying, y using statement.
Speaker 3: So it is no good Karen. Of course they tried to retire in twenty twenty one because they were tired of people calling them that.
Speaker 2: Definitely, yeah, wow, all right, anyway, fun they seem like a fun time.
Speaker 3: Check out Lakespeare State University ls s US. I've also probably been getting by with with being confused with LSU for a long time.
Speaker 1: Probably, Yeah, I got a heavy ring finger on my left hand, or I keep from looking up tigers scores at LSU. I can't believe they got good for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, Tory Williams Douglas, what a pleasure having you on the Daily Geist as always? Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff.
Speaker 2: I am still on the internet on social media, Like I said, I'm on the discord also, so I feel cool and official now hell yeah, but I'm on blue Sky at torriglass dot. What is it besky dot social? I think is how they have that formatted, which is silly. You can change it to whatever you want. So I'm really I'm trying to think of like the right thing to like change changes too. I Yeah, I have a podcast called White Homework. You can check that out wherever podcasts are and the I have an Instagram page for my podcast which is just at White Homework, so you can check that out. January is Poverty Awareness Month, which is not a thing I knew existed, So we're talking about poverty, homelessness and how to come back those things. So at the end of the month we talking about stuff like UBI So if you want to if that's interesting to you, you can check that out. Yeah, just White Homework wherever you listen to podcasts. I have another podcast that I forgot to mention last time called Go Home Bible You're Drunk. So if you are a former like religious person, you might enjoy that. We just reread the Bible from like a post religious lens and see if there's anything good in there. And sometimes there's good stuff, and sometimes we make a lot of terrible jokes. So that's so that's where I am mostly. That's where you can find me.
Speaker 3: Go check Torri out. Is there a work Amedia that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that is uh. This is from uh. It looks like Jesse L. Taylor got bsky dot social Here's twenty twenty seven. The Daily Wire releases its next children's cartoon, which is just the racist crows from Dumbo trying to get welfare statements. The crows are all voiced by gin Or Carno.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that was.
Speaker 2: Like one of the first like Twitter level skeets I've seen. I was like, yep, save it.
Speaker 3: There it is there, it is Blake. It's what a pleasure of having you? Where can people find you? Is there? Work? Amedia, you've been enjoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was so much fun. Torri, You're awesome. Jack and I Jack something, Yeah, something about Jack. Here's the work. Oh. Work is a from pixelated Boat on Blue Sky. The real lesson of Zuckerberg and Mouscus that some people are just born with loser stink on them and no amount of wealth or power will ever scrub it off. The whole time we were talking, I was thinking about that because it is just he's just like, however you want to use the term loser, like Zuckerberg is just a loser, like the feminist whatever, fucking horseshit, he said, like the feminine workplace or whatever he was talking about, and then like his heel turn, not even a heel turn, because that would imply that he was a good guy at some point. It's just just some guys they just like want to kiss the ass of like whoever they think is the cool guy at school, and right now they think it's that pig who's gonna take office, so like it's it's just embarrassing, and I think they're losers. You can find me at Blake Wexler, a Flake Lexler social media stand up dates. I'm gonna be in Fort Collins March thirteenth. March fifteenth, I'm in LA, and then March fourth through fifth, I'm at in Minneapolis.
Speaker 3: There you go. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien and on Blue Sky at Jack number ob the number one dot bsky dot app or some bullshit.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ, Oh my god, just don't even promote it. Promote that.
Speaker 3: A Blue Sky. I've been enjoying siege at Siege dot online on Blue Sky, tweeted the two things I believe most strongly in this world are that public services should be wholly replaced by the private sector, and that the government should intervene instantly. The second, I personally feel a little bit scared. I have been seeing a lot of that, and then Ethan Jacobs dot Blue Sky, dot Social just a true thing. La Fire is a good reminder that the only difference between me and any refugee is luck. Damn yeah, damn uh. You can find us on Twitter at Daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily Zeitgeist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website, dailyzeitgeist dot com. You can go to the episode wherever you're listening with this check out the description of the episode you're listening to where you can find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information we talked about in today's episode. Well also link off to Miles Families, GoFundMe, and we also like to link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. Super producer Justin is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this is a viby dub plate inspired track with some funky, bouncing basslines and type percussions and smooth vocals. It's like this floating Spanish guitar type barpeggio that comes.
Speaker 1: In later in the song. It just really puts me in a good place.
Speaker 4: If any of that sounds like your jam, then you should check out this song. It's called Three Eyes Open by Green Tea Pang that's Green Tea one word pang, the UK slang term peng and you can find that in the flipnotes.
Speaker 3: Put notes or dub plate. I'm going to nominate to be replaced just because I don't know what it means that it makes me scared. Yeah, yeah, I apologize. Hey geo, what is that? Is that what young kids are calling guitar solo these days? Anyways, thank you for that justin It's wonderful to have you back. The Daily Zeitgeist is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. That is going to do it for us this morning. We are back this afternoon to tell you what is trending and we will talk to you all then. Bye bye Box