Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Please welcome to the stage, the one and only the Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 1: Right there. Thanks for doing this squack of life. I'm just doing my be's not to check the Dodger's score. That's mye We just saw the teaser from the Olympics. I'm curious. How did the opportunity to do the Olympics come about and how did you prepare for it.
Speaker 2: I believe the prior Olympics, me and Kevin Hart, we was doing something where we had like a highlights show that was after the actual events and it did well, and I believe the people at NBC was looking at, you know, who I am and what I could do. So we had a conversation about moving into the actual Olympics and being there and physically showing up and you know, letting me be a part of the production as far as producing certain elements of the Olympics and think it went well, you know what I'm saying, because we were trying to represent peace and love and just show what an American really looks like outside of politics.
Speaker 1: Were there you mentioned producing? Were there particular segments that you produced, like when you when you and Martha they are talking.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's that's every time you see me, every time you hear we was producing it, and NBC was, and the Olympics was willing to allow us to bring our flavor to the table and not try to keep us in the box and let us you know, season the meat.
Speaker 1: Was.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Was there a sport that ended up being your your big surprise, your favorite to watch?
Speaker 3: Actually, fencing was fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I always loved swimming and gymnastics, but to see gymnastics up close in part know when to see how high they was jumping, and I mean, it's real intense.
Speaker 1: I'm curious you do the Olympics. I feel like I see you in a commercial every five minutes. When you started your career, right people, there were a lot of people who thought gangster rap was bad for society. They were wrong, But leave that aside. Did you ever think you'd become one of the most in demand spokespeople for different companies in this country?
Speaker 3: Yes and no.
Speaker 2: Yes, because I always believed in me and I always thought that if you give opportunity, we're going to make the most of it. But no, because at the time when I was entering into the music industry. It was only certain things we could do. It was certain things that wasn't legal, that aren't legal.
Speaker 1: Now do you feel like I mean you're you're obviously a little joking a little bit, but do you feel like growing acceptance of weed has kind of smoothed the path for you and made you kind of more presentable for companies?
Speaker 2: I think it's the medical side of it is being brought forward a lot. You know, usually when medical is the first word, then you have more understanding because I've had people in my family who dealt with catser and certain you know, illnesses, and cannabis and THHC has helped them, you know, ease the pain and have a smooth transition. So it's like and then I look at my career and look at me and look at what I look like. And I look at some people in the industry and what they look like, and maybe they do alcohol and this and that and the other, but I do weed, and.
Speaker 3: I look like this, Like you know what I'm saying. Like, thirty one years.
Speaker 1: Later, you have a you have a new album coming out what a month from now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, new album is called Miss Sary. What's what's the story behind it first album. Well, me and Doctor Jerry made an album in nineteen ninety three called Doggie Style. So if you flip the page, there's an.
Speaker 1: This is your when's the last time you? Because he's a major producer on the album, right, he's producing the whole album. When's the last time he did that with you?
Speaker 2: Nineteen ninety three was the last time he produced a whole Snoop Dogg album. So this is sort of kind of a reunion, and it's a collaboration of two friends who genuinely love each other and we know we're better together. It's like, I can make good music, but when I'm wul doctor Draham made great music and.
Speaker 1: Give it up. How did you decide after all the time that you guys wanted to work together in that way again?
Speaker 3: Me personally?
Speaker 2: He called me and was like, I wanna do your record. I need two weeks. I'm like, I know they like two years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, every Dre album you're waiting five seven years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, in my mind I made up that I'm gonna go back to being a Snoop Doggie dog.
Speaker 3: I wanna be the student, the kid, the passenger.
Speaker 2: I wanna humble myself and go in the studio with him and allow him to, you know, work on me and tell me what I need to do, and produce me and not me try to fight him and think that I'm a star. Now I could tell you what I think it's best for me. No, you discovered me, you seen me when I was a rock. You created this diamond, so i'm'a allow you to shine it one more time.
Speaker 1: You've worked with a lot of great producers over your career. I'm I'm curious. How would you compare working with Dre to working with someone like Pharrell, who made you worked with on some albums about twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Well, when I work with for Real, me and Pharrell's relationship is more like.
Speaker 3: Friends. So when you're working with your friend, he's more.
Speaker 2: Easier to let me get away with things, you know, like oh that was dope.
Speaker 3: That was dope. Doctor Dred be like, nah, do that again.
Speaker 2: No, you said you said to you put you it was too hard on your peace. Huh you're supposed to say player. You said player? Are you serious? Anunciation? Pronunciation with Doctor Dre is everything with for Real. He likes slang, he likes raw, he likes the uncut Snoop Dogg where it's not as polished, you know what I'm saying, Like that's his threshold is to have the raw version of Snoop Dogg. Dre is to have the the perfection version of Snoop Dogg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious you described f with Frell, it's like friends. It's not like that with Dre.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Dre is like big brother, Like it's a different relationship, like big brother and friend is two different things. Like your friend wouldn't say certain things to you because he's your friend, your big brother, don't give me.
Speaker 1: I've seen you talk a lot in the press about how you don't you and a lot of artis say this, like they don't make that much money from streaming, right that you make money from other ways. But you still chose to buy a record label. Obviously a lot of emotional residence for you with Death Throw. I'm wondering, how did you make the decision to buy it, and now that you've had it for a little while, what are you planning to do with it?
Speaker 2: The purchase was made solely to get my master's back initially, and then once I got my master's back, I started thinking about the other artist that was on the label, and the legacy and the things that we created, and how this was one of the most predominant black owned hip hop labels of the nineties. And I had a chance to get it back in my hands and to clean it up and to fix some things that was wrong, and to put it in positions and never been in, to give it a global approach and then make it friend and approachable, and to make it, you know, lovable and likable, and you know, make people feel like Death Row is a nice place to be for making great music and not you know, it sounds funny now because you think about the myth of you could get on death Row. You can get your ass beat, you can get your jewelry, took all the negative stereotypes you could have was always there. Now it's like Death Row is happiness, is fun. It's cool, and it's because of the things that I did as the owner and runs downhill.
Speaker 3: From the top. So if you right from up.
Speaker 2: Top, everything else is gonna flow right. And the spirit of me is in my company and everybody in my company is about peace, love and pushing this label to a whole other level.
Speaker 1: How many employees do you.
Speaker 3: Have probably about thirty five.
Speaker 1: And they're mostly working on that, or they're working on all things Snoop.
Speaker 3: They're working on death Row, only death row for death Row.
Speaker 2: But then I got management that handles Snoop Dogg as well, and then I got like me myself, who is the Snoop Dogg machine, was like, you know what I'm saying. So I have to thank myself sometimes because I'm the actual machine.
Speaker 1: You know. One way artist such as Helf make a lot of money these days is touring. I feel, and I could be wrong, I feel like I don't see you doing sort of the big global tours that people like Michael Rippino are booking. When's the last time you went on a big tour.
Speaker 2: It's records involved. When it comes to big tours like that, you got to have a record. Yeah, I'm able to go on tour just because of the catalog that I have. Yeah, but this new record, Missionary is going to put me in a position to probably have that final big stadium tour because there's a lot of features on this record that you know, I'm excited about that are big name artists.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I could say it right now, I said it was my am. I got a feature from a Jelly row and and oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm so happy that me and Stain got a record that's so good and we hung out and we chilled. It's like a child that's infatuated with somebody as a singer and you get a chance to meet him and they give you everything that you expected. Like, that's what happens with me all the time. I meet people that I've always wanted to meet and everything I wanted them to be. I don't meet. I don't meet people that disappoint me. I meet people that always you know, outwork the contract.
Speaker 1: Who's who's uh, Who's someone you haven't met yet that you really want to meet?
Speaker 3: Michael Jordan?
Speaker 1: You haven't met Michael Jordan. That seems crazy. You guys are both such icons of the nineties that Mike where you at, but he can't be your favorite basketball player.
Speaker 3: That's magic Johnson.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, just making sure this is a Laker household.
Speaker 2: You better know it in case you forgot Dad is yeah everywhere I go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has nothing to do with her talking about but I have to ask you feel about Lakers this season?
Speaker 2: I feel good about the Lakers. It's a family business, so you know I'm gonna leave it at dad.
Speaker 1: Okay, you brought up some uh some collaborations, so I'm curious. I do want to test out one of the the We're doing polls during some of these conversations. We can ask the audience what they think. I hope I didn't screw this up, but which of these people do you think Snoop should collaborate with? Next? And I guess I should ask you after we get the results, because you'll just skew and if.
Speaker 2: I already know what they're gonna say, what do you think they're gonna say?
Speaker 1: Why do you think they're gonna say? That?
Speaker 3: Is she from the West and she don't need me.
Speaker 1: I'll wait to see what the results are in a little bit, but I'm curious. You know, you look at your recent discography. You've released I think a Bollywood song, a reggae album, a gospel album. You've done a bunch of different genres. Is there any genre you haven't tried? That that is because it feels like this next one you're doing is sort of back in your your sweet spot.
Speaker 3: Uh huh. Jazz.
Speaker 2: I did a jazz album that I haven't released yet. It's more or less like spoken word over jazz music. That was a genre that I've always wanted to go into. Quincy Jones hit me to a mister Mumbles Clark Terry, which was his teacher, and we had an opportunity to spend time with mister Terry and we did a record together. And that was a genre that I always wanted to venture into cause I felt like I had a jazz voice. I felt like my spirit was like one of those jazz musicians from back in the day.
Speaker 3: So I dibbled and dabbled into that.
Speaker 1: So your and your role in a jazz album is just you're singing.
Speaker 2: No, I'm spoken words spoken Sorry, my voice and my conversation, my poetry.
Speaker 1: You know, I think exactly. You're right, You got scissors, got the web. But it's it's close Bad Bunny and Sabrina Carpenter Bad.
Speaker 2: Bunny Mahomie in real life though, so they already know that that's an easy collaboration.
Speaker 1: And then but he's not on the new album.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I didn't. I didn't go to Latin.
Speaker 1: Now, you if you met someone who had never heard your music before, where would you tell him to start.
Speaker 2: It depends on how old are they.
Speaker 1: Uh's I mean, I'm assuming the only type of person who'd never heard your music before, it's probably under eighteen.
Speaker 2: No, I got kids music, doggieland number one albums.
Speaker 3: Right Now.
Speaker 1: Had a kid's show, right.
Speaker 3: I have a song.
Speaker 2: Called Affirmations right. It's a song that we created, and they teach this song in different elementary schools around the whole world. Before the school starts, the students sing this song about affirmation. So I got records that reach a demographic of babies because I have grandkids and they wasn't paying attention to me.
Speaker 1: So I have Okay, So is there a demographic you feel like that doesn't know you? Then how are you dealing with the seventy five plus Martha?
Speaker 3: You mean Martha stores Home. We got this thing covered on We Don't True.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you like a core hip hop question. So I saw an interview earlier this year where Tyler, the creator, was talking and he was kind of upset because he felt like every rapper right now sounds the same, and then when he was coming up, everyone had a different sound. When you were coming up, there were a bunch of different sounds. Do you agree with that? Like, where do you think hip hop's at right now?
Speaker 2: It's about to reset. The whole music industry is about to reset itself.
Speaker 3: Usually happens like.
Speaker 2: That, you know, repetition, repetition, breakthrough, originality, were back on again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what the music industry is about.
Speaker 2: You know, right now talent is not at the foreground, but talent will be put back into the foreground.
Speaker 1: Why do you why do you feel like talent's not.
Speaker 3: It's so easy to make music.
Speaker 2: You can go Instagram, Snapchat, this, that, this, that fifteen seconds of fame you could I'm a star. I'm this from that. I got followers, I got likes, they following you. But you know you got that that philosophy that you could be a star.
Speaker 3: Warner I came up.
Speaker 2: You had to have conversation, You had to have showmanship, You had to have you know, you had to wrap through the microphone, like not play the song and rap over the song. You had to like, I'm gonna hear you just like I heard you on the record.
Speaker 3: They need to hear you on stage.
Speaker 2: And I believe that element has been tooken out, but it will be you know, reinstated.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who do you do you have? Do you have people coming up who you feel like will be a part of that.
Speaker 2: It's a lot of people making great music right now and and they should be you know, commended. But there's so many the name and a lot of times the the the bad rap is always the ones who don't do it right. But there are people who are doing it correctly. And the music industry is gonna continue to you know, be diversified, and it's gonna continue to reach different parts of the world. I didn't think hip hop would be in Africa, a j pad, in Turkey and India, but it's there, and it's love and it's respected, so it's gonna continue to grow.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you one more in West Coast question since I know the answer. Where did you? Where did you land on the Kendrick Drake Beef?
Speaker 3: Where did I land?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What did you make of it? I was in the sky smoking weed. That's why I landed. You know what I'm saying, because like when grown men have, you know, situations as another grown man, they showed job to get out thered the way and let and let.
Speaker 3: Them handle they bend there.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying because at the end of the day, they both my nephews. So whatever misunderstanding the disagreement that they have, I'm pretty sure they could get a understanding without Uncle Snoop getting involved.
Speaker 1: Okay, I got to finish where we started. So you started. You did the Olympics. I I I've here. I've heard you talk over the years about your desire to be part of the broadcast booth for a Super Bowl cause you're a huge football fan. Did you take a moment in Paris to talk to the NBC folks and put in a picture of the Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: Let him get that call real quick?
Speaker 1: You good.
Speaker 3: Na.
Speaker 2: My grandmother always told me, let your work speak for you, like so it shouldn't be about me having to converse and talk to nobody.
Speaker 3: My work speaks for me. Like I think that when.
Speaker 2: I'm in front of the microphone, no matter what sport it is, whatever the event is, I'm gonna give you something you've never seen before. I'm gonna say things in an appropriate manner. I know how to clean things up and broadcast. You know, if you'd see the Olympics was rady ja, it was it was great, It was rated g and I was able to keep it g the whole way, and that was that was one of the main concerns that I'm pretty sure that NBC had. I hope this that I don't say that on TV, and I kept it.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I trusted you enough to put you on broadcast. Stam No. I feel like they put Alex Cooper on the online stream they did.
Speaker 2: It's gravy though, because my mother told me, you know what I'm saying, when you get opportunities to make the most of it because you never know who's watching.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Snoop, thank you so much for doing this.
Speaker 3: Thanks, thank you Locust.
Speaker 1: That's a goo