Speaker 1: Hi am Kate Hudson, and my name is Oliver Hudson.
Speaker 2: We wanted to do something that highlighted our.
Speaker 1: Relationship and what it's like to be siblings. We are a sibling railvalry.
Speaker 3: No, no, sibling, you don't do that with your mouth.
Speaker 4: Revelry.
Speaker 5: That's good, ladies and gentlemen. This is part two of sibling rivalry.
Speaker 1: Fine, I guess, okay, sibling comedy.
Speaker 6: You're doing a comedy.
Speaker 1: How much did you actually dive into sort of the emotional aspects of what the show was in the relationships, you know, because did you talk about that? Did you have to track that at all? Or was just pure funny?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: Was there was there moments where you have to talk about this is what I feel like, there's deeper shit.
Speaker 6: Well maybe not coming out on them.
Speaker 3: I mean, let me give you an example of I think that it wasn't necessarily talked about as much as it was what was happening.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say how I feel about it.
Speaker 3: Like when we started, we immediately went deep into the things in our life personally together, whether it be you know, over our dinners or having drinks like we would go there, whether it be because relationships, family stuff, Like there was always sort of a balance of fun and like the real things that were going on in our in our lives or have gone on our lives on set, the moments that were important to us was like everything could be funny, but the things that we were trying to figure to discover with each other were the beats that I think are the most important things, which is, you know, the connective tissue. Yes, who really are we together? What is the overall you know, what are we trying?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What what are we really trying to achieve? And for all of us, it's like being validated by the other person. I mean, I know for me it was like I just wanted them to love me and to see that I could do.
Speaker 5: Your Yeah, it was like eight years before they figured out his hook and his finally was he just wanted to hug Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just like right. But we had this moment.
Speaker 3: We had this moment after the pool scene, which for people who haven't seen it, don't want to ruin it, but we're we're sitting at the bar and we're shooting this scene and it's this really sweet scene and it's sort of like, you know, I have a line that said, Dad really did a number on us, didn't he. But in that moment between the takes not to put anybody in any like, you know, we had a moment where we talked about family, our own families growing up, and I started to cry, and then Scotti started. We all just basically started to cry. But in the scene you're crying right right. But next thing you know, we had this thing, at least for me, which was a very profound, deep connection of we've all had a certain level of trauma that you would never think we would tap into in the show.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: You know what that does though, if it's not on screen, It allows you to be safe that's right on the screen and saying and doing whatever I feel because you've had an experience off.
Speaker 3: And energetically you can feel it because there's a closeness Yeah and.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think to step that out.
Speaker 5: I kind of wish it was more like that in our day to day lives with everybody, which is like, listen, I don't know what your experience is, you don't know what my experienperiences. I don't want to play the game of who's had it worse by any stretch. I personally feel like, I've probably had it really really great. Yeah, but I've still had some shit that that fucks me up. And whether it fucks me up, I mean, my brother and I grew up in the same household, Like we're different human beings, right, the things that I you know, the moments I remember, I'm like, that was a really tricky night. He'd be like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 6: Yeah, But then.
Speaker 5: The ship that he has, I'm like, I don't even remember that. So let's start with the baseline of like, you've just all gone through some shit and I'm going to cut you some slack until I realize you're consciously trying to hurt or offend me on a routine level, and then I'm gonna be like, hey man, we're not good and I'm out. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's a thing that we've experienced on this whole show, which is each sibling has a completely different perspective on how they were raised. Just like you said, writing like that fucked me up. I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I don't even know what you're saying.
Speaker 3: You know, I had a completely different perception manifested completely differently from me than it did for.
Speaker 6: All of them, Yeah, because we're not really here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's all an illusion, yes, ye like it will say like, I think there was a there was a softness immediately despite us like doing you know, giving each other ship and stuff.
Speaker 8: I there was like a tenderness I mean to the to the characters too. They're trying to get whoever to take them seriously, whether it's you, us, me, the you know, entire family.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: And I think you know you're you kinda hold on to that. You're pushing that through the entire season, and then moments where the characters like they can't do it anymore and they just break down like or it's too hard. I'm gonna like I have to show some vulnerability with my family right here, and they're gonna, you know, like this particular family is like okay, like you know a little, whether they accept it or not. I think like the writing was so good that it was like, Okay, I'm clearly like trying to hold onto it. Trying to hold onto it. You're basically just like not trying to cry the entire season. That's like you're just like I'm not gonna cry.
Speaker 6: I'm not gonna cry. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna.
Speaker 8: Cry and then like your your character is done, like you can't he can't like hold it or she can't.
Speaker 6: Hold it anymore.
Speaker 1: It's funny because I saw Scotty get welling up and inappropriate situations and the show flagged on that, did you actually we're coming to because I'm not making a joke. Like there's moments where I'm looking because it's like a three of you or something, and all of a sudden, Scotty is sort of in the background.
Speaker 6: I'm like, this.
Speaker 2: Doesn't seem right.
Speaker 1: It's awesome to watch the emotion, but I'm like, what is going on for me?
Speaker 3: My biggest my biggest laugh in the show is in the conference room with the cocoa line.
Speaker 5: It's just they flew that line and that you know, they flew that in like take five. But I think it's partly there were some takes of that where the crying was too real. There was something that Fabrizzeo said, Jackie, and I mean talk about someone who just like really just puts their heart out there, he breaks something and this makes it sound like, I mean, I can you know dad, mom, stepdad, like big family people always around, like the whole thing. He the way he would say every time he did this take, and he would say like, you know, like it's just for for a long time, I guess my whole life or somebody was just me and my mom.
Speaker 6: Every time he said it.
Speaker 5: Every time he said it, it could it genuinely made me cross vulnerable and you know, like you know, I mean we're all at this the night before when you read like Alli cries, you think like fuck, how am I going to do this right? And I you know, like that's that's just always a concern. And then at some point you're like, well I can I can trust the process or there could be a menthol sting like you never want to call for menthol.
Speaker 2: And calling for a moment you don't as smoke.
Speaker 5: But yeah, you just will find different ways in you know whatever that thing is. Yeah, fuck it it's boring to talk about, but it never has happened to me where it was always one actor saying the same phrase like eight takes in a row broke me every time. Yeah, what was the line? It was like, you know, it was just me and my mom, It was just the two of us.
Speaker 3: There is a cut of that scene that we had to cut down because it was.
Speaker 2: Just it just the the episode was getting too long.
Speaker 6: That is so.
Speaker 3: Like if he's great and in what you see and you feel it, there's one cut that is just this we cut that perform his performance, it's like so amazing and.
Speaker 2: It still is, it still is still good. But you know, like any edit, you know you have to cut the fat.
Speaker 3: But like if you were just if we could do, like if you could do an edit of certain scenes that we had to cut down that to one of them. That was just hard to cut as much fat as we.
Speaker 2: Had to out of it.
Speaker 3: You know, he he's so good in that scene.
Speaker 2: Everybody's great in that scene.
Speaker 3: And then when I was going through the edit of that There's There's I was laughing as you were talking because Justin's single There's on it. Watching it while he's Fabrizio's doing the thing is so funny because he's just.
Speaker 8: It's so funny in the cut where there's like I saw it looked like a Bentley dealership.
Speaker 5: And you guys.
Speaker 9: Like it is it kind of is It's like watching everybody's singles and that what is.
Speaker 3: Was just I can't even I wish, I wish we could show that to. You know, once you get to know the characters, it's like you fall in love with them. Then you can just watch the single on them the whole time. It's just everyone's so in the pocket, you.
Speaker 5: Know, even when when the scene when he when he walks up to you and he his character really breaks and your character finds out for the first time that he's had a boyfriend. Yeah, right there, there I had because we've just gone to the pool in which your sister I'm pointing at Oliver. It's hard to say Oliver because he's wearing a unicorn suit, takes in some sort of the ward jumpsuit with them like criscross jeans over the time, and Drew and I look like normal accountants. These are the two accountants. This is the one where she interviews the accountants. But we're walking up where our characters have just been in a pool, and I was soaking wet, and there I said, let's call back the fact that I get called out for having European underwear earlier in the season. So I put on this like little red speedo and I get myself drenched, and then I look over and Drew's quiet, and he's, you know, taking a moment before this scene where he's gonna happen, and I became very conscious of like I can't self conscious of, like I don't want to take him out of his thing, right, But then maybe the real of this would be, like, I don't think ness would give a shit that his brother's in a thing, and how do you do this? And a credit to Drew is he was he was private and then we got going. In the first couple of takes, I think I just had my robe open to my speedo and Drew just kind of turned and I don't know if he clocked it or not, but it didn't take him out right, you know, because he's this improviser, like to this ump degree where it's like yes, and it's not gonna be like, dude, your speedo took me out of my thing with the fuck yeah right. So it's that kind of trust of like and if it does, then then I would never do it, right, that trust of performers, I think. So it started as people and then it goes to performers and then it comes out as characters.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting because you're witnessing a process that you haven't really witnessed because usually it's all funny and funny and funny, but now you have to get into a space and now you're like, oh, i'ven't dealt with this yet, Like how.
Speaker 6: Do I deal with That's always my cool? Yeah I still joke with you totally.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's definitely like I mean, but the I think I want in that scene if I can like Okay, I'm gonna go try to get to this place.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a difficult thing. You walk in you.
Speaker 8: You have to like and you're also trying to figure out the tone like should I how you know, should this be like.
Speaker 6: Full real? Will that be too much? Is it?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 8: What's how does is this gonna look in the whole big picture of everything?
Speaker 6: But it's like I don't know.
Speaker 8: I just like I trust everybody who's making this show, and they'll find it like or they'll tell me if like they'll walk in and be like that was too much or that's not enough or whatever.
Speaker 6: But I think, like the.
Speaker 8: It was so funny to me, like to really do it and then have you guys kind of like pat me and you're like if you're in a stupid speedo it's funnier like all of that ads too, because that's what it feels like in real life. You know, you're crying at these times where it's like, oh my god, I'm crying now, like and it's so funny you don't.
Speaker 6: Break, you know, like.
Speaker 8: You want all those you know, like those laughs right next to the cries are so good.
Speaker 3: It's so important, so and they're so hard like that's I think that's the tone.
Speaker 2: That's hard to capture.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's like what you're all, it's my favorite tone, you know. It's like when you're laughing through tears that actually pull at you in a real way, not in a like fake and not you know, not in like a not in like a contrived way, you know.
Speaker 5: And narratively though, that is our families, right. I think most people feel like, I remember my dad. When my dad hears a national anthem, he cries. Yeah, you could listen to it six times in a row. He's gonna cry six times in a row. And most people, like if you're at a ballgame or something and you're with them, most people will look over and see it. He's a giant man, and they'll look over and they'll be like, oh my god, when my mom is with us, you know, people will be like Jelly. You know, they've been divorced for forty one years, but they'll be like, oh my god, Shelly, is he crising. She'll be like, oh Jesus Christ, a family right, or familiarity to the level of family right. And I think to capture that on screen, I think the writing, and then I think, you know, hopefully it comes through, because that's what it felt like when we were making Drew.
Speaker 8: Where are you from Georgia, Georgia outside of Savannah, rural, small town r Tell.
Speaker 2: Oliver what your family does.
Speaker 6: My dad runs a candy factory. Oh my god, yeah that's right. Yeah, we were in Greece together.
Speaker 1: Yes, we didn't tell Scotty.
Speaker 6: Restaurant on sunset. We didn't even tell let's get on at the restaurant or you were literally sitting at the tub of Greece.
Speaker 8: But yeah, like my granddad started it. My dad took it over like I maybe should have.
Speaker 6: Probably was like you're leaving to do what are you insane?
Speaker 3: But it is so so as someone who was married to someone from Georgia. Rider's grandpa Dutch God rest his soul used to send me the those pecan caramel chocolates every Christmas, and this Christmas was the first time I had gotten sent again or or was it Christmas? Yeah, I got sent again the same you know, chocolates from your family's Yeah, what did.
Speaker 1: Your family think when you're like, no candy, I'm gonna go be an actor.
Speaker 6: I think they were worried.
Speaker 8: My little sister, Caitlin, she had she was like my sisters were the talented ones of the family, and they were like singers, dancers in every pageant, like.
Speaker 6: Performer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like my yeah, his dad really is secretly my performer.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah yeah. But my dad's like a painter, like my grandma was a painter.
Speaker 8: Like there's something in there that like, you know, you're so remote in these this southern town that you're like that's crazy, Like we I'm just going to work for dad, like eventually, like I'm gonna make I'm a make candy too, which was great, Like that's unbelievable. But my sister auditioned for a show the year after American Idol called American Juniors, which was a spin off of American Idol. After Kelly Clarkson won and she like made it to Hollywood and they flew the whole family out here and we all sat side stage while she sang every week, and I was just kind of like we were all looking like we got to see the industry, and we were like, wait, wait, so I can like be loud and talk for a living, Like I kind of do that already at bonfires, Like I'm always lunchline, you know, lunchline. Like I was definitely like I was like if I can kill in the lunch line, like I could maybe do this. So I think they were primed a little bit and they had they had seen how it was real, got it, so it was le They were like, let's but I think you know, like once you're five six years into it and you're doing fine, it's a little bit you know there. My mom was like, y'all go follow you dreams now. And then it's like six years in and they're like, y'all still think about these dreams, Like what are we thinking about these dreams? You know, like dreams should like you know, like dreams seem hard, and I'm like, yeah, so like but they were always you know, they were never like stop doing, but.
Speaker 1: They would maybe not push you but sort of bring it back into your yeah.
Speaker 6: Just I mean like my own.
Speaker 8: Brain would like they would you know, do you ever think about quitting?
Speaker 6: I mean I think I started.
Speaker 8: I saw uc B, the Upright Citizen's Brigade, Like I saw a show there, and I was like, oh, I I just want to do Once I saw that, I never thought about it again because I was like, I just want to do the Monday night show, yeah, which is like the student you know show if I can get on Monday nights, which took me like three or four years of like constant sort of like banging on that door being like lunchline, you know, she thinks I'm funny and they're like you're not ready yet or whatever. But like I think just the goal was pretty you know, local, I guess. So it was just kind of like if I can get on Monday nights, and people on Monday nights and Friday nights are working comedically and the writers or actors or whatever like, so I think once I saw that, I was like, I think I can get on Monday nights.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So that gave me enough.
Speaker 8: Validation in the classes at sort of like the indie comedy Nights where it's like, oh, I bombed like six weeks in a row, but then I had that great if I could just do that thing I did on week seven again, you know you're like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one great shot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And were you working I wasting money?
Speaker 8: I was working on a food truck. I like would go to an office and like get.
Speaker 5: On a too.
Speaker 8: There was like a room of commercial actors and we all kind of did it and you would like buy concert tickets on multiple computers and some guys coming over with like a booklet of credit cards being like, yeah, buy those Zach Bryan's no, don't worry about.
Speaker 6: You know, yeah exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I did that for a while definitely.
Speaker 8: Like also like I can't like my I had my dad would like if I was really struggling, like he would step in, which was like you know, it's it's it's my parents would just be kind of be like we need to send him five hundred dollars for dreams.
Speaker 6: You know, And it was like that was, you know, very helpful.
Speaker 2: Scottie.
Speaker 3: Give the listeners out there a little bit like you come from where you come from, no one.
Speaker 1: Knows who you are, great and just like Joe knows where you came from.
Speaker 3: You're from Chicago news.
Speaker 5: Now it's been built up, which is weird.
Speaker 6: Look, I'm from Chicago.
Speaker 5: I come from a very large family in Chicago, and that family is involved in a lot of different one of which is professional sports management the black Hawks, and you know other industries of you know, there's banking, there's liquor. It's all online. So you're right, there's no like I think for me in the in the reason and maybe now, particularly honestly after this show, because this is the first time I'm ever really playing a character that has any means that's not like borderline a psycho, even on the mix.
Speaker 2: Which we do season two, can go down.
Speaker 6: So it took.
Speaker 5: You know, I mean it took oh god, it was ten ten plus years where before I could really get in the door. And when I finally got in the door was as a writer on The Mick. And then I became a character who was playing this low life degenerate who never went to high school, who lived in his van, and there I lived in a van for a while, and I guess, depending on who you'd ask, there are times that I have been a degenerate, like Saturday night and night. But I think, you know, once that happened and I was like, okay, I finally broke through because it took whatever it be casting or you know, production people, studios, writers showing to see me in a way. It's like they're like, well, this guy can play degenerate, he can play low life degenerate, and somehow I guess I'm fangless when I get angry. So it's like he can also be really angry, but it's still funny. I then became absolutely terrified to change that perception because I'm like, this is my lane. I will stick in it.
Speaker 6: Interesting. And so then to talk.
Speaker 5: About coming from a you know, a bigger family with means, and to talk about going to you know, some good schools, and I'm like, that is against the very thing that I'm now selling. I'm selling degenerously fangless, swamp dwelling guy.
Speaker 6: Right still but still well still.
Speaker 5: I think and that was a combination, and there was a question mark at the end of that.
Speaker 6: Still I still still.
Speaker 1: Still still still sibling siblings.
Speaker 6: It's the first problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So that then that becomes protective and it's not it's not necessarily ego based. And I've done a lot of work on this in my garage late at night, the.
Speaker 2: Messages she won't come up.
Speaker 3: It's not sure you know, three thirty am voice message that he is in his garage.
Speaker 6: My garage is my last safe space.
Speaker 1: But do you feel like with this role you're still walking down, that you're still in that lane deviated?
Speaker 5: It's a weird thing because it's it's it's full of contradiction, which is how I feel my own psyche is all the time.
Speaker 3: Is is you like really went in on the craft with your writing. You went to Russia and were in like dramas, going to dance. You did things that were so outside of what you knew as your foundation so that it mattered so much. I think if I could speak for you as somebody who also understands like you want people to know how much the craft, if you're.
Speaker 5: Going to speak for me, do the voice.
Speaker 3: But I but but I think that that also probably is why you have always been hesitant to like share, because it's better to not.
Speaker 2: It's it's like you don't want.
Speaker 3: That to overshadow ever, what you're doing, how important the craft is.
Speaker 5: Maybe the verb you used was breakaway. And I think if if and anyone in Chicago. Who knows my family both on my mom and dad's side, right, because I'm actually talking about one side or the other.
Speaker 6: Is there's so.
Speaker 5: Many artists, I mean genuine like you know, but they they haven't necessarily gone to make their trade on their art. But it is a very artistic family, which is interesting given that Drew's both of his sisters are in it. And then obviously your entire extended fan. I mean when I was with you guys in the desert once, I think I was talking to Kate about while they're going to do the movie with you, and I was like, are you guys flagging this stuff? Like do you want yet another generation of people going into it as a trade?
Speaker 6: Like you know, like is that that?
Speaker 2: What are you gonna do?
Speaker 6: You know, what are you gonna do? Right?
Speaker 1: Well, hey, you got your brother, Yeah, I just went into it, right Have you been?
Speaker 5: Have you been.
Speaker 6: Jealous of his career?
Speaker 9: Ever?
Speaker 1: No? Never, is he jealous of yours? Now that you're kind of something good.
Speaker 5: So we've also been out here long enough that people get hot and people get cold, and it comes around and it goes around. You just got to you got to put your head down and keep it in the work, and I really do. I really do think that, and I think my brother and his wife were very helpful to me when because.
Speaker 6: I was out here, it's the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's like, where are you putting your goal posts to keep yourself intrinsically motivated? And you don't take those goalposts away from yourself. So like the goal you know, just to hear that's such a clean, external specific goal, like I want to be part of the Monday night show, right, and and and then getting it gives you purpose, It gives you drive, and it gives you yardage. Right. The thing that I found, given that I did spend so much time in academics, was like the yardage was the grades. Right, you get the AA it means as you then you go to art school or for me, theater school, well the yardage starts changing. Like the artist is like can you lie on your back and cry on cue? It's like, well, but everybody in the room could do that. I could never do them right. So like then you start getting into a nebulous thing of like how am I quote unquote doing well or being successful? You come out here unless you do those external in things for yourself if the only yardage is you get a role, you're fucked because you have no control over whether you get the role. You have control whether you're ready for the role, but you don't have control over whether you get them now. And that took a while. And on top of it, I was out here with a medium length haircut crossing my fucking.
Speaker 6: Tips for like ten years. Oh yeah, because I was like, what's the role I have to play? You know, like, what how do I have to get tips when it's medium length?
Speaker 9: That's true, that's short.
Speaker 1: After you've hit that sort of benchmark of Monday nights, yeah, did you set yourself another goal after that?
Speaker 5: It's weird, I'm gonna say, but he showed me and his journal he said, I will be Kate Hudson's brother.
Speaker 6: Well, truly, it's very exciting.
Speaker 8: Like I didn't know coming through UCB, You're like, Okay, a lot of people, I think the one to one here for doing live sketch is SNL, Like let's I loved SNL. I was like, oh, I think I could do that because I'm doing it here in a small way. I know that's much more difficult, but I think like that was sort of once I was doing Monday Nights. I was like, there's a lot of people, or like, this is a way to gun for SNL, so you like try that. And I think through you know, throwing your hat in the ring every couple years and trying to get into a showcase and maybe you'll make it to New York and you're like, you know, friends of yours are going and they're getting on and you're like, this is so cool, Like it was so cool to be part of the group that was getting to try and I was like, this is crazy that I'm in the group that's getting considered. Yeah, but I think, like, you know, obviously that's a very tough show to get on, so you know, but Lorne produced the other two the last show I did, which was unbelievable. Like so I think you're just you're trying to knock at that door and you end up at other doors and you're like this is actually better for me or.
Speaker 6: Right for me now or whatever.
Speaker 8: So I think you're just kind of it was always just sort of like okay, what's the next one year or two years, whether that was like by design or just self preservation or just sort of like and.
Speaker 6: Support well, yeah, like what you were saying like that.
Speaker 5: I think that funny thing is like I always felt very supported by everybody in Chicago. It wasn't like fuck you, you're going to go out there, then fuck you. It was like, hey man, we are all here rooting for you. Yeah, And and support can mean many things that financial can mean emotional, but truthfully, like having people root for you while you're trying to do something means everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also because they know you love it. But I think it's like I'm sitting here.
Speaker 3: Listening to you both, and then I think about how many people we've interviewed on this podcast, and it's so like the journey of a performer is so fucking weird and fucked up and wild because you love it so much and you want it so bad, and it's the most like destabilizing, insecure, like tumultuous career you could seek because you're at the whim of somebody wanting you to be doing something. You're constantly putting yourself out there. You're constantly trying to get in in different ways that you can because you really actually love to perform. And when you get that bug or you have that bug, you can't explain it to anyone who doesn't have it, how much it means to you, you know what I mean? Like, if you don't have that thing where you're like, oh my god, I love this so much and have to do this, nobody would ever understand why you would seek it out. It's so painful and rejecting, and you know, complicated and and and but I love when you hear people's drive to do the very thing that a lot of people just are like, I mean, don't you just want to get a real job, you know, and have that stability and.
Speaker 1: Its hold on Before we finished this, what do you have acting notes for Scotty?
Speaker 2: He really means Scotty.
Speaker 1: Scotty No, no, meaning like if you could give that, was there anything you would say, Man, if you could let go of this, or if you could add a little bit more of this? As someone who is you know, Kate Hudson looking at would you say you can.
Speaker 6: Just let go more here? Or if you could do this we're just two young guys, would.
Speaker 1: To be totally honest and candidate You're like, no, you just can't know what you're doing.
Speaker 6: I will think about this for.
Speaker 2: Initial. This is so great. I love this because I'm only going to talk.
Speaker 3: About Scotty because I don't really have many initial things for Drew.
Speaker 2: But Scotty has this thing I have to go.
Speaker 5: It's been so much fun.
Speaker 2: You're gonna love this. You're gonna love it.
Speaker 3: Scotty cares more than people would maybe think he does. Like and if you saw him out or talk, like, if you didn't know him, you would think he was nonchalant.
Speaker 2: About his craft. But it's the opposite.
Speaker 3: He cares so much about the craft that sometimes you want to be like, you don't have to.
Speaker 2: Work so hard right for this? Right now?
Speaker 6: Love it?
Speaker 5: And yeah, I went on this one.
Speaker 3: And and with and I think that, like, you know, Ness his character on this tonally, if he has to walk a line that has been you know, I mean, I've had everyone has their favorite characters, crazy like people I come up to me and they're like, oh, oh god, your brother Sandy's so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, Ness is my favorite. Like oh, just like a you know.
Speaker 3: Cam, everyone has the person that they connect to so so it resonates in it and you did it so well. But in the process of doing it, sometimes it it weighs on him and you want to like if I was to say the thing that we say to to like the siblings, which I think we should do at the end of this. But my thing to alleviate for him is the pressure he puts on himself to get it right.
Speaker 2: Like I would say, get take I.
Speaker 3: Would I would try to alleviate that from him.
Speaker 6: Wow and nothing that.
Speaker 5: Was good?
Speaker 8: Yeah, because naturally you are so dead on always yeah, like it wouldn't ring. Nothing you did would ring untrue to me, and then you would be like, fuck, that was amazing.
Speaker 6: You're not a mess on set. I'm not saying that like you're like, yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great note to hear because I have no defense against that note, and I don't if I'm being totally honest, I hear it, I agree with you, and I don't know if I necessarily want to change it.
Speaker 2: You don't have to write well you are.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 5: I think it's interesting when I think of performers, which is why I love sitting with you and you and and talk because you guys, obviously, having grown up in the entertainment world, you crossed paths with just you know, some all timers, and so I'm always curious about that I'm obsessed with process. I'm not one who's gonna sit there and pull his fingernails out, because I think you have to go through pain or discomfort to get some Actually, I think the realization I made with the help of a acting teacher, Sharon Chatton once, which is it's about the let go, it's about the release, it's about the relaxation into it. But prior to the let go release and relaxation, Yeah, there's consternation and strife for.
Speaker 6: Me, right, Yeah, I think that's interesting.
Speaker 8: I think I would note myself similarly. I don't know how I come off, but like coming up, I would be so intense about memorization and then also so within that doing comedy stuff, being like okay, so maybe like I've done a ton of improv which you can't think about, which I love because you just have to throw yourself out there and fall down the hill and it either goes well or it doesn't. But you're like, you can't plan anything. But then when you start to put you know, start doing scripted stuff and doing lines and doing you know, whether it be sketches or whatever, You're like, you want to be loose still, so you kind of like I would be super in set, like like a little bit too much, a little too intense about the memorization. So I wasn't loose at times. So I would be like, my next line is this, My next line is this? Like and then I would also kind of be like, oh, if they say that and they improvise that way, I'll go that way too.
Speaker 6: So I would have like even.
Speaker 8: That were like way too much and I wasn't listening anymore, and that would that that like is even though you knew you knew the lines, Yeah, I didn't realize that when you were Sometimes in a scene.
Speaker 6: Letting go is what makes it so good because.
Speaker 5: Your background as an improvisers you listen right like as an actor, Like day two, I'm looking at him, I'm like, oh fuck, he's really listening.
Speaker 6: He's not waiting to say.
Speaker 3: Which is listening different about well?
Speaker 5: People are like, what's it like to work with Kate? And what is it the Muppet Babies or Charlie Brown. But it's like someone the principal's voice comes on and goes like.
Speaker 6: It was kind of like, do you have any notes for Kate?
Speaker 2: I'll take him.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 5: I mean, I have observations of both of them and Drew it was listening. I thought, uh, I, I thought your thing was really interesting. I've you know, we've all been around now a bit. I thought her thing was wild. And I was like, oh, I I't seen that thing before, which is like take one is finding it, you know, as as as your wing person in that scene, I'm like, fuck, does she know this scene? Are we gonna find this? It's gonna take eighty eight takes and then it's like take two, like and you're like, oh, what the fuck is that? That's a different thing, you know, like you know having you know, we've all studied it, and but you know, yeah, that was unique and it's great. It's organic and it's it's like you know, So that's what I love about this job is you know, like if you were a doctor and I am medically I've read every page of WEMBD so medical License, I would say what I like, you know, if you go in, if you go in, if you're U Cardiac pedeology, pediatric cardio, and you went in and and you we were going to get into the like you know, a order, and I saw him cut the in a weird new way. I want to be like, oh, this is so interesting the way that doctor Drew cuts into the A order. For the most part, everyone like within a small err, yeah, that procedure is the same, right, that's it's so opposite of this man. You go on sets, like every time you get to work with someone.
Speaker 6: It's all different.
Speaker 5: And then it's wild when like people who have worked a lot like you, I'm like, oh, I've never seen someone cut like that, and it's wild because the result is a result, and and you know, I think it's for itself and it's.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think a was great with like, uh, like is this in the voice of the character.
Speaker 6: And I think like on a sitcom it can.
Speaker 8: Be like joke joke, joke, joke, joke, joke, joke, joke, page joke per minute, like and I think Kate would you know, And I would sometimes, as somebody who like performed a lot on stage, I would be like, give me as many oaks as I can that I can swing from, so I'm not out there being unfunny for two lines or whatever. And Kate, Kate did such a you were such a good like monitor on like why am I saying this?
Speaker 6: Why is he saying that?
Speaker 8: Like that doesn't make sense for the other stuff that we've set up for his character, like the joke needs to change or it needs to be like more in line. And I thought that was like super helpful and like gave us all like very clear directions. So we all just kind of kind of weren't just yelling. The funniest thing you could write.
Speaker 6: You're thinking, you're thinking, you're thinking, and.
Speaker 5: My number one on the call sheet is the opposite of that. You just just say the fucking jokes so we can all get home. Yes, it puts you in a bad spot when you're below that, and you're like, I will, that's my job, but I think like this this should have some investigation. Yeah, and so that's really helpful and then you feel taken care of as performance.
Speaker 1: When I read there the script, my biggest concern for Kate was just making sure that all the basketball lingos seemed real, because you are a fucking queen here, you know basketball like wrack your fucking hand. And when I watched it, I'm like, oh my god, you're so money with it, because that was my biggest concern was.
Speaker 3: Well, you have Assassin is such a huge Baskepel and Brenda so like Brenda, I could just ask Brenda.
Speaker 1: Right, but even your delivery, it was very easy. It was as if you had said it a thousand times. Oh good, because when I was reading the script, I'm like, oh my god, Like Kate's amazing and anything she does, but is she going to be able to is it going to be believable when she's talking shop? Yeah, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: And it was yeah, rights, yeah, yeah, they're on time. You know what you're going to say and have an idea, right, that's right.
Speaker 2: I love that. That's my favorite thing.
Speaker 6: That's the best.
Speaker 3: You said that, and then and it came I think we were too. We're all having drinks and you said that when we were having drinks at one point, and then it came up on my feed.
Speaker 2: It's not weird like.
Speaker 5: The actual click because it's listening. That's why I don't like to talk about you thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, we could talk about this. I mean, this has been a long time. I love you.
Speaker 10: Okay, brothers, Yes, we're going to do a rapid fire mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Ollie, maybe you become the interviewer as show siblings.
Speaker 2: Okay, so, but and then make things up Okay, So.
Speaker 1: Wait, so you want me to ask them what they think of? Like if I say, okay, it's Kate early bird er, night out both, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yes, but what do I prefer.
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: I am a morning personally in the morning.
Speaker 6: Wrong, She's wrong. That's it. That's good game.
Speaker 1: That's a good game because you want are you your TV brothers will say what they think and then I'll see what I think and see who's who gets more.
Speaker 3: I like I if I didn't have kids, I probably would be more of a night owl.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you don't really like it.
Speaker 8: It's like four am, Like you're like, no, you know, I like my bed when she was little, She's like ready for bed, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I could have a party and rage by like eleven forty five minute. I'm like, I'm like in bed, I just let the party.
Speaker 6: Go right, big time night out.
Speaker 5: Yeah. In fact, the last time I was with both of you and we were imbibing, you disappeared at eleven. Oh yeah, I stayed out with you.
Speaker 1: It was nine for Kate had a good thirty eight minutes of being hammered and then she's like.
Speaker 5: A fucking party, get the poker, and then we're like, where's Kate and was like, I'm heading back and I was like, oh you are, and she's like, well everyone inside, like you know, it's petering out. Kate went to bed. I was like, what do you mean? Kate went to bed. It's like nine thirty and you can stay. And I just looked over at Oliver, who just looking at me. He's like, you can stay as long as you want.
Speaker 6: I want to say, man, this guy wants someone.
Speaker 3: No, but yeah, okay, next sweet, but what we gotta do to everybody else?
Speaker 6: Drew the night Scott Scott established sweeter savory.
Speaker 2: Oh oh interesting.
Speaker 6: It's a Kate is savory? Yeah, I'm no.
Speaker 2: I'm going to guess you you're a savory.
Speaker 5: Yes, and you're I don't know what savory means. You're lying.
Speaker 2: I'm going to say you're Oh.
Speaker 6: I think he's sweet.
Speaker 2: I think he's savory because of his drink choices.
Speaker 6: He's just sweet drinks.
Speaker 2: Are you a sweet?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say savory, although I want to my gut is saying sweet.
Speaker 5: I kind of like them both. Yeah, I mean I'm not like sacred about that kind of and your savory.
Speaker 2: I'm savory?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay a weird.
Speaker 2: Use your wonderful ideas. Yeah, just make up for us.
Speaker 6: Okay, Bruce Springsteen or the.
Speaker 2: Beatles, don't say what do we say what each other is?
Speaker 6: Right? You're Bruce.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna venture to say. I think everybody in this room is Bruce.
Speaker 2: I think everybody is a Bruce.
Speaker 5: No way, I don't know that.
Speaker 6: I don't know that.
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, that's interesting. Oliver is definitely a Beatle.
Speaker 6: I'm better in a group. I'm Beatle, like.
Speaker 5: Bruce or Beetle or do you who would?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I put on Bruce, but I but I also put on the Beatles. I mean, I love that they're the Beatles, but but I'd put on Bruce.
Speaker 2: It just makes me weepy.
Speaker 1: It makes me want to write, yeah.
Speaker 5: Bruce makes I looked at Bruce Springsteen as a kid. I was like, that motherfucker be dead if he wasn't doing this, it was this or death. And that was like an early flag where I was like I want to do something like that. Yeah, and if I could do that, I would have, but I cannot.
Speaker 3: So true, and it's just like you just feel his soul.
Speaker 5: And there's and it's it doesn't even matter whether or not you like them musically. There's other artists that are like that where I don't necessarily like to listen to him. I don't even like what they do. But I'm like, it was this or death.
Speaker 3: Okay, ready you're going I'm going to ask one for everybody to guess. But every theater concert, I mean.
Speaker 6: What would you rather go to?
Speaker 2: I mean, I know yours, you're your concert.
Speaker 6: Your concert, I think you might be.
Speaker 2: Theater is musical theater?
Speaker 5: Two?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and comedy?
Speaker 5: You did love that Moana I put on my garage for you. It wasn't I did a one man show of concert. For sure.
Speaker 6: I would like to see music where the seats are laid out. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're a theater guy. I feel like you like more stage things.
Speaker 6: Like I do.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I do like stage stuff for sure, but I also like, I love music, and I probably know more about music than I do theater.
Speaker 5: What about?
Speaker 6: What about?
Speaker 1: What about this one's it's three Amigos or Annie Hall? Oh three amigos Because I'm only saying that because yes, it's the movies, but it sort of dictates like.
Speaker 6: It totally imprinted on me in a way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Three amigos looked at all.
Speaker 5: Intellectually as I got to be an adult.
Speaker 2: And you're older.
Speaker 3: But three megos like yeah, three yeah, three of me gooes like I know all the line.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's like when people talk about your influences and of course you want to say like it's Brando or something like you just gotta get real. And I remember Trey Anastagio, the lead singer Fish Guitars.
Speaker 2: I was just with him like a couple of days ago.
Speaker 5: Oh, we're gonna I gotta hear about that.
Speaker 2: No, I forgot about it. I was like, I amazing And that's the time. I literally it was like, oh my god. Scotty, Scotty was here.
Speaker 6: He talks about there.
Speaker 5: There was a documentary, Bittersweet Motel made about them, made by the guy who made Joker Phillips, and Trey's talking about He's sitting in the front seat his station wag. He's talking about the influences of Fish. He's talking about being a mall kid growing up in the seventies, like hanging out the malls and like the music that influenced him was The Grateful Dead. But it was also like weird eighties, like you know, Divo and shit, and I'm like, you know that kind of truth that he had, Like, of course you want to sit there being like my influences are cold trained you see it. No, He's like, it was Devo, it was the dead, it was all and so three of me makes me think, yeah, all that right, one of the most influentials of your life real quick, as fast as you can think about.
Speaker 6: It, I can major league, Yes, major league, like that major.
Speaker 10: Rocky rock Clueless, okay, clueless, okay too far?
Speaker 2: Oh oh oh, my favorite one ever?
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, some babysitting Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters like that just et No, oh my god, last rapid fire.
Speaker 5: Spoon or fork. That's exactly how I would have thought it broke for I'm serious. I used to so, I used to Tony Robbins, rapid fire for the rest of your life. You can only use one, Yeah, you get one utensive paper plastic? Yeah, well paper paper kind of maniac would say plastic.
Speaker 6: At this point I was thinking about it. Yeah, I changed my paper.
Speaker 2: What did Tony Robins say?
Speaker 6: You rapid fire?
Speaker 5: Somebody gets them out of their ability to like think about how am I going to come off and say this? You start doing. So those are the things spoon or for orange orangea cat or dog, and people have to go boom boom boom.
Speaker 3: The question is always if there's one thing that you could alleviate from that person to make their life eat better or easier, what would that be? And then if there's one thing you could emulate, what would it be.
Speaker 2: To take toilf that you wish.
Speaker 1: You had more.
Speaker 3: I am going to say like what I said for Scotty to begin with, which was you know, just not having to you know, is your.
Speaker 5: Thing almost applicable to my life, not just my work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, were saying earlier you were talking about my work. I think it's also how you feel about Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: And then the one thing that I wish I had maybe a little bit more going to be I had more of Gootti. I think that one of the things that I wish I had more of that you have is like what Olliver has, which is you have like a dedication to your kids where you just will.
Speaker 2: Drive to the end of the earth's for them. I will not.
Speaker 3: I will not sit outside in Marvista for five hours while my kids are playing a game.
Speaker 2: That's not true.
Speaker 3: I will, but but there's a certain type of character that will just always like go to the end of the earth for their kids. And that's something I admire by you. You true my favorite human, right.
Speaker 5: I guess right in front of you, I.
Speaker 3: Guess The one thing is that I guess I would sort of what would relieve for you is any question that you're not exactly where you're supposed to be in your life, like that you are exactly where you're supposed to be, that you don't need to overthink any of it. And and again the whimsical part of it, just being present and enjoying the things that you have in the moment and not thinking you would alleviate. Well, this is the one thing that Yes, it's like I would give him more of, like feeling like present in the situations that he's in his whole thing with bringing more whimsy and whimsical into his life, which I think you've been doing a lot more of.
Speaker 8: Yes, Well, that's what I was gonna say about you, is like I would want some of your whimsy. Yeah, being in the present, I forecast a lot I'm living in the future or I'm living in the past.
Speaker 6: You are very good at being right there.
Speaker 8: In the moment and your yeah, whimsical, mischievous, payful like I have those, but I catch glimpses of them and.
Speaker 6: Then they're gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd give you more fox fox animal energy.
Speaker 8: Yes, like I'm less beaver, I'm less like building house, kind of like walking with sticks.
Speaker 3: And then I would want to emulate your like I like your ability to your quick wittedness, like your ability to to to always be like wonderful and pleasant and kind in a room, but also like just make everyone laugh because you just have this quick witted brain that can it's like writing on the spot. But your humor is so like like even you could you could probably say the nastiest thing and it would just feel like a teddy bear, like a warm like hug or like a blanket. You're like, oh my god, you just completely, like you know, assassinated my character in a funny way, and it feels like.
Speaker 6: Love all that at work, and then he's mean to us at home.
Speaker 3: Seriously, you are just like you're you are maybe the funniest human, but you're also the most loving and so you know, I wish I could have a little bit more of that like brain, that kind of brain, that whit.
Speaker 6: That's that's nice, really nice. Yeah, that's nice.
Speaker 4: I love you guys. This is this is too much fun. Hopefully we'll do it again.
Speaker 9: It's like a.
Speaker 2: Four part episode.
Speaker 5: Yeahm mmmmmmmmm.
Speaker 4: I love you guys. This is this is too much fun.