Speaker 1: Hey, there're folks. It is Tuesday, October the twenty eight. We are in our top five on our horror hit list. Today's movie is number four. It is a classic. It is scary, it is goofy, it is silly, it is gross, and it's PG thirteen. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ as we continue our deep cuts giving you our countdown to some of the best horror movies. Maybe you've never heard of Roll. This is absolutely one of our most endearing yes horror movies and it's PG thirteen.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it's PG thirteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And honestly, we've rewatched it, and I am standing by that statement.
Speaker 2: I can't believe it's PG thirteen. I'm shocked by it.
Speaker 3: This thing is scary and it's fun, and those two things don't always go together because it's never deliberately campy or ridiculous. It's just good entertainment and it's just scary enough that you keep going back to it.
Speaker 1: We have been watching this movie for years and years and years and years and years, and we did not realize it was PG thirteen until we started putting this together. So yesterday essentially, and I said it to you, and you said, what the hell? Because we have you announced. Very early on we started doing this list. TJ completely checks out. If you tell him a movie is PG thirteen, he will not watch a PG thirteen horror movie. And here we are.
Speaker 2: Here, we are two in our top five.
Speaker 4: I'm embarrassed, all right.
Speaker 3: So number four is Drag Me to Hell. And I have to tell you. When this first came out, the name of it turned me off. I thought this is going to be stupid. I thought it was going to be over the top, ridiculous, not anything I'd want to watch.
Speaker 2: This movie is amazing. It just I think it nails it in.
Speaker 3: Terms of course how scary it is, how fun it is, how entertaining it is, how much I love the main characters, and of course we love us some justin long long.
Speaker 1: This one came out in May of two thousand and nine. It's an hour and thirty nine minutes again, this one PG thirteen, But it is strictly in that horror genre.
Speaker 4: So what is this one about?
Speaker 3: Christine Brown has a loving boyfriend and a good job at an LA bank. Her heavenly life becomes hellish when, in an effort to impress her boss, she denies an old woman's request for an extension on her home loan. In retaliation, the crone places a curse on Christine, threatening her soul with eternal damnation. Christine seeks a psychic's help to break the curse, but the price to save her soul may be more than she can pay. This movie is so damn good. It changed how I feel in a park garage. It changed how I feel about even turning someone down or upsetting someone. And you and I actually had a moment in our relationship that was a game changer based on this movie.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yes, I remember. There are some things in references you can make in your life that are so subtle that they are only a handful of people anywhere that would get it. And I, yes made a reference and you completely. I didn't have to explain anything. And when you all see this movie, you will understand what we're talking about. There is an opening scene that will stay with you that essentially sets up the entire movie. So that's what we're talking about. This one rolls I did not realize did this well at the box office forty two million dollars domestically another forty eight point seven million Internationally. This thing made ninety one million dollars on a reportedly thirty million dollar budget. Wow, that's a that's a hit of a movie.
Speaker 2: And in two thousand and nine too.
Speaker 3: I don't know how Look, obviously, horror movies have been around since as long as I can remember, right, But I do feel like this type of horror movie this was unique at that time. I think people are now directors, producers, writers understanding the multifaceted genres that horror can take, including entertaining and being kind of funny or this. I felt like it was almost ahead of its time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it was over the top at times to a way that you still appreciate it and you seem to be in on the gag as long. Now, of course we talked about our guy, so I'm gonna go we have to go back into account of how many movies justin Long is in in our top thirty.
Speaker 2: I had that same thought.
Speaker 1: I had no idea that he was in as many that we love asiot.
Speaker 3: We weren't using that as a factor, But it turns out it could have been an algorithm.
Speaker 1: But he is once again, and you know what he is. We anytime we were discussing this. Anytime we see Justin Long and he's not the boy next door being a little self deprecating, being the charming guy, it upsets us.
Speaker 4: He is all of that in this one.
Speaker 3: He's like the Knight, the Knight in shining armor who comes to the rescue and you're just so rooting for him and them. Alison Lohman, I don't know if you know her name, but you definitely know her face. She's the the Angenu. She's the female lead in this and the girlfriend to Justin Long, the director of Sam Raimi and Rotten Tomato score?
Speaker 1: Is this the biggest disparity I think on our list in terms of critics versus audience score?
Speaker 2: I am shocked by this.
Speaker 3: I would have thought that the Rotten Tomato score, what we're going to read to you would be flipped in the direction that it is. So. The critics gave this a ninety two percent on Rotten Tomatoes. That's about as good as it gets. Audience score sixty two percent. Why did there there was some group of people get together to try and bring this score down. I don't understand.
Speaker 2: How could you what this is such a.
Speaker 3: Great audience pleaser That's why I could see how the critics might not have taken it as seriously, or maybe took it too seriously.
Speaker 2: So I'm shocked.
Speaker 1: What are your thoughts in reading through it? A lot of folks, and I find this and I stop including a lot of negative reviews because so many of them are seem personal and contrariant, like my only reaction. Sometimes the thing is to just oppose and to be outraged, and so it's not even a good criticism. It just I don't know why people are so crazy about this movie. You almost be crazy. You got caught like just attacking people for liking it. You know, that's not that's not a criategic criticism. But the critics, at least their consensus on this one is Sam Raimi. Now, the director, Sam Raimi actually mentioned he has some big credits to his name, Evil Dead, a couple of Evil Dead movies. He did a couple of Spider Man movies. This is a big time director that knows what he's doing. But the critic consensus. Sam Raimi returns to top form with Drag Me to Hell, a frightening, hilarious, delightfully can't be throwright.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, and we have some critic reviews, and again ninety two percent did really really well. Drag Me to Hell is sometimes funny and often startling horror movie.
Speaker 2: That is what it wants to be, and that is what it is.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 1: It throws you off, like you're yelling at the screen what they have to do that. There's a couple of those in This.
Speaker 3: Movie stands as the latest in a line of occasional, much needed reminders that the horror genre isn't going completely downhill anytime soon.
Speaker 4: That's a good way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yep, the next one here a gooey, frenetic, raucous and mind meltingly clever delight. That's a that's okay, very descriptive, but that's kind of right. It is frenetic. This fabulously compacked little morality tale is the most fun you'll ever have. Analyzing our economic collapse, yeah, that comes into it as well, But the morality part of it, you do ask yourselves some questions. Good people getting caught up and sometimes in their own world and their own ambitions, and you leave some of your morals at the door. And it does have some of those questions.
Speaker 3: I do agree, you do ask yourself what would I have done? She's trying in the storyline, she's trying to get a big raise at her bank, and so she's basically incentivized, or she assumes she's being incentivized to turn down risky loans basically.
Speaker 2: So, Yes, there is a.
Speaker 3: Big moral dilemma in the central part of this story.
Speaker 1: She goes against what she knows to be the right thing for the sake of career. Yes, and hey, who hasn't had some question or something like it?
Speaker 4: Does? It's a core moral question.
Speaker 3: It's almost as if she unknowingly made a deal with the devil. Yes, Drag me to Hell is the most fun you'll have being scared for a long time.
Speaker 2: Agreed, That is a really good way to put it.
Speaker 4: The next one is good.
Speaker 3: Not only is it genuinely scary, it's also outrageously funny, and for once, it's intentional.
Speaker 1: Put it this negative one here, this next one. I just threw this in here for you because I knew you'd like it. It's background mythology is both totally ridiculous and almost impossible to understand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, obviously demonology isn't some serious scientific cause like we get it.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, an old woman who wants a loan puts a curse on the young loan officer, and you want an understanding of the background mythology.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's someone who doesn't watch enough horror movies.
Speaker 1: Hey, you do your thing. Some of the audience reviews we'll get into here. A lighthearted take on horror that hits the features of the genre and has a few camp moments that make it an homage to horror films.
Speaker 2: That's so true.
Speaker 3: Great half half horror, thriller, dark comedy, must watch. Just keep your keep an open mind. Basically, yes, a.
Speaker 1: Nothing one said, it's so messed up and I absolutely love it. Another one here, extremely comedic and extremely scary at the same time. But then this last one here, you could take this negative one. I just want to throw in there again. I can't make a lot of sense out of the negative one.
Speaker 3: Silly, completely unhinged, disgusting, bad special effects.
Speaker 2: In short, a lot of fun if you're in the right mood.
Speaker 1: What I mean, all of those for us, silly check, completely unhinged, check disgusting, check bad special effeense. Those are all in the pro column for us.
Speaker 2: Yes, right. They did it on purpose. It is so deliberate, but.
Speaker 3: It is a lot of fun if you're in and it's hard to not be in the right mood.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I would say you could watch this.
Speaker 3: Movie going into any mood you're in, and you will come out in a better mood.
Speaker 1: That is a very good This is a if there ever is one. This is a mood boosting horror film.
Speaker 3: There is a reason why I cannot count how many times, personally, individually, on my own I have turned this movie on and it immediately puts you in a lighthearted mood. You laugh and are scared at the same time, and genuinely scary like genuinely scary like.
Speaker 4: But you know what we have to say, and we'll get into this a little more. But we have to say.
Speaker 1: Scary without being violent and gory, hence the PG thirteen. So exactly who is this movie made for, who is it not for? And why it made our list. We'll get into all that when we come back. And I know the moment you all are anticipating most Robock puts all of a heart and soul into coming up with a food and drink pairing for all of our movies. What goes with a movie called Drag Me the Hell?
Speaker 3: Stay here, welcome back, as we talk about number four on our Halloween Horror hit list, drag Me to Hell. But it is a fun ride on your way down. We love this movie why it made our list. It's just an unforgettably good time that we revisit and have continued to over the years. It's never a bad time to put this movie on. The opening scene, basically where everything goes wrong for this young woman in the movie, is just so damn good. Again, the parking garage scene is one of my favorite scenes ever in a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Okay, the bank scene, at the open, there's a funeral scene. There's a lot of stuff. There's a lot of stuff to this movie, and you're right, roes it. This is a even the parts that are uncomfortable or meant to be scary, you still find yourself almost laughing at the joke.
Speaker 4: But oh, come on.
Speaker 2: You've gotta smile on your face while you're horrified.
Speaker 4: It's a lot of that stuff.
Speaker 1: And the woman, there's an older lady that plays central to this even in death. She's funny. She plays such a central role in getting you to react.
Speaker 2: Even is it missus Goodush? Is that her name? I believe missus Goodness.
Speaker 4: It's her. Everything about her is just perfect.
Speaker 1: So again another reason it's on our list, even though we didn't think about it, it does when we see justin Long, we are put at ease about whether or not this is going to be a good film. We know we're in good hounds, but also we know at this point he doesn't do a lot of bullshit now like he does quality. You can argue about jeepers, creepers or whatever else. It's not Oscar worthy stuff, but these are quality horror movies and some even are cult classics.
Speaker 2: Correct. All right, So who's this for?
Speaker 3: Anyone who is looking for fun, anyone who's looking to have a good, entertaining and scary movie. I really think this is the movie that has it all. There's something in it for everyone.
Speaker 1: I agree, and this is a can we recommend this one for Kisses pg. Thirteen But I wouldn't be worried. You know, it has a lot of the almost Nickelodeon type grossness.
Speaker 2: I would also make sense.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, there is that one hundred percent, but there's also the only thing I would caution about younger kids is that there is there is some scary enough imagery that it would stay with you, like in terms of a nightmare, like seeing some of what you see in that movie is a little scary. But you know, I mean my kids are watching horror movies starting at eight, so they were fine with this, but I would.
Speaker 2: Just there it is scary, like it's scared me.
Speaker 1: And there's a witchcraft element that could creep some folks, some adults.
Speaker 3: Out, yes, so and who it's not for if if you want some traditional horror movie, if you don't want to if you just want to be scared, uncomfortable and uneasy and you don't want to laugh, which seems weird to me because I love doing both.
Speaker 2: It's nice when you can do both.
Speaker 3: But if you're looking for a traditional horror movie, this might not be for you.
Speaker 4: Go ah, have right.
Speaker 1: I don't think this one's classified as a horror comedy.
Speaker 2: I think it's just a horror.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it does have camping moment, but it's not meant to be a goofy, throat away silly even throw away cliche lines are necessarily throughout this movie.
Speaker 2: It's it hits the right note, it really does.
Speaker 3: I have not met anyone who doesn't love this movie, so it's hard for I can't think of who it wouldn't be for like truly.
Speaker 1: As long as you are open minded and accept it for what it is. It is a fun rise start to finish, and it is a fun horror movie that's not meant to be funny, but it is fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly all right, food drink pairing.
Speaker 3: Obviously, this is a great movie to watch in a party with a party with a group, but I also think you can watch it by yourself. I have watched it in group settings with you, just the two of us, and certainly on my own, and I've enjoyed it each and every time for different reasons.
Speaker 2: Now, what's a parrot with duh? There is?
Speaker 3: We talked about all of the wonderful scenes in this movie. One of my favorites that we haven't mentioned yet is her meeting her potential future in laws. What does she bring the harvest cake? And it plays a role at the family dinner? And what is a harvest cake? So some folks who have actually had dragged Me to Hell parties have talked about putting together the harvest cake it's a rustic style cake filled with fruit and nuts.
Speaker 4: Rustic cakes, so.
Speaker 2: You can add like an apple cake.
Speaker 3: Bas you can add pecans and cranberries, but you can really make it your own with walnuts and currants, chopped up dried figs. What can personalize it. But it's an autumnal cake. It's called a harvest cake. You don't remember the scene when she brings the cake.
Speaker 4: Or the seams.
Speaker 1: I'm back on a cultural issue now. I have never heard of a harvest cake. And the ingredients you described, I've never had in one cake before you said pecans and cranberries.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And it's like an apple cake basically, and you can put some dried fruits and nuts in it. It's basically what people would put together with whatever they had left over from the harvest and put it in a like an apple based cake.
Speaker 4: What's the Christmas cake? Fruitcake?
Speaker 3: Thinking about similar different, I mean, it's a it's a variant, but it's a it's an apple cake bas as much better. But yes, she brings it much to the discuss of her potential future mother.
Speaker 4: I learned so much from you.
Speaker 3: But it's a central part in the movie. So if you watch the movie and you have the cake. It would be a fun pairing.
Speaker 4: Are the raisins in there as well?
Speaker 3: You can put them in there if you choose. I'm not a big fan of raisins other than I do like a carrot cake. You know that's kind of a version of an autumnal cake.
Speaker 4: A carrot cake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 3: It's a Yes, a carrot cake is a similar part of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, this was not supposed to be a big part. Please continue.
Speaker 2: No, So where do you watch Drag Me to Hell? Right now? You can find it?
Speaker 4: What you're done with the food picke just the harvest cake?
Speaker 2: What do you drink the harvest cake?
Speaker 3: Uh? You could do a mold like you do, like like a mold wine or an apple cider drink.
Speaker 2: Yes, keep it with the theme.
Speaker 4: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: What would you watch with Drag Me to Hell?
Speaker 1: None of that stuff because it was never in my household growing up. I'm not familiar with mold mold wine. Yes, it's so good, given from right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mold wine is is a German tradition in October Fest alongside some beer. So you could add some fun beer to it as well. Okay, you want to move on to where you can watch it. Yes, okay, we can watch it on HBO Max or on Peacock, so two different options for you.
Speaker 2: And of course this is one that I prefer. I think we should purchase this.
Speaker 4: You know, I.
Speaker 1: Highly, highly highly recommend all the ones in our top five. But I love that we are actually presenting something that's not so.
Speaker 4: They're not.
Speaker 1: No brainers, right, there's like disagreement on the one that we love. I like that they called a little debate, but I like that we are actually picked some that are really good, not so obvious movies.
Speaker 3: Yes, and this one is one of our all time favorites. We hope you love it as much as we do our next movie it'll be number three on the list. We've been watching this in the background and actually watched it through. It's the shortest movie on our list and one of the best. And you said this is going to be so good. You actually asked me not to read all of the prep material you did for this one.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 1: I learned so much about this and this one, including why the performances from these actors are as real and authentic as they seem to be, and also this movie out of the top five. This is the only other one I think Robes that's not number one that I would make a legitimate argument for being number one. This one I could make an argument. Hmm, maybe this should have been at the top. This is a special movie.
Speaker 2: It really is, all right. And with that, thank you for listening everyone. I'm Ade Roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. We will be talking to you soon.