Speaker 1: Like Jeremy Allen White and people like that are always hanging around, and it's just.
Speaker 2: Like not me googling who Jeremy?
Speaker 1: And what that guy? Okay, okay, bear guy bear grills, mister bear, mister bear, not Paddington Bear, the only bear that matters. Paddington.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for finally acknowledging that after all these years.
Speaker 1: Wait until he does a full spread in his underwear. No, I'm just kidding. That's would you be?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, where's the line for you with Paddington AI images? You know, like, would you would you care if someone did a Calvin Kleine Paddington Bear? I would be furious.
Speaker 2: He's a child, is a small Boydton. We just don't know about that because bear years and human years.
Speaker 1: I don't like not to be a creep, So we don't know for sure.
Speaker 2: We don't know for sure, but even okay, let's say Paddington is a full adult. He is a sexual, so we don't need to be sexualizing him.
Speaker 1: Shout out the ace community exactly. So anyway, June, Hello, how's it going. Good to see you, June, Good to see you too. This is Caitlin Durante who's guest co hosting today? Hi, nice to meet you.
Speaker 2: Nice to you too.
Speaker 3: She co hosts The Bechdel Cast with Jamie Loftus and is like, also a great.
Speaker 1: Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so yeah, I feel like we'll all get along swimmingly. We were just talking about Paddington and just a bunch of Paddington stuff anyway.
Speaker 4: Is that is that new movie coming out soon? Are you talking about like Paddington, like the movie?
Speaker 1: The movie?
Speaker 5: Ye?
Speaker 1: Well yeah. I brought up Jeremy Allen White from The Bear and Caitlyn's like who, And I'm like the guy from the Bear and She's like, the only bear is Paddington. And then would you what do you think of sexualized images of Paddington made made with Ai? And that was definitely.
Speaker 4: Anyway, He's just a big He's a baby.
Speaker 1: He's a pure child, I know.
Speaker 3: And I had to play shitty online Devil's Advocate on my wood? Is that actually articulated? And I'm like, okay, it's like there's bear years. I'm like, and I'm not trying to be a person on.
Speaker 1: A Jubilee video where I'm like, so there is no objective fact.
Speaker 4: We are making Paddington bear porn to make a very important point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know ye to discover what that point is. Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three hundred and eighty two, Episode five of The Daily Site Geist, a production of iHeartRadio. Look this.
Speaker 3: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into America's shared consciousness.
Speaker 1: And oh what a day to be.
Speaker 3: Looking into America's shared consciousness because we've got a little bit of everything.
Speaker 1: It is Friday, bank. Fuck it's Friday, April fourth.
Speaker 3: That means it's National Vitamin C Day, not the band's jeep four by four Day, National Chicken court on blue Day, National.
Speaker 1: School Librarian Day, shout out miss.
Speaker 3: Barkley, my school librarian when I was just a young ute, you know, in kindergarten, and put me on to the power of books. She said, maybe you like Pee Wee Scouts, And I did love Pee Wee Scouts, and then my love of books began from there, and then I only started reading nonfiction.
Speaker 1: It became a weirdo anyway. It's also National walk around Things Day. I don't that doesn't make sense and not.
Speaker 2: As ground things.
Speaker 1: Yeah fuck it.
Speaker 3: It had like an image of like a traffic cone with like a bunch of lumber in the road as an obstruction doesn't seem like a good thing to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Librarians and chicken Cordon blue though, yes I'm there.
Speaker 3: Who am I I'm Myles Gray aka the Lord of lankersam the North Hollywood show Gun with No Gun because you got guns, you can have gun problems and also.
Speaker 1: Experimental black and Theese artists Ye Boy Kusama, and I am thrilled to be joined today by my guest co host, a brilliant comedian, a brilliant teacher, a brilliant lover of cinema. How well, just check their.
Speaker 3: Fucking master's degree in film. That's how you'll know they respect the art, they respect the medium. If you need help with an idea, comedic writing, or otherwise, I would say to hit this person though, because they offer that kind of support.
Speaker 1: And guess what. They also host a tremendous podcast let's already know, called The Bechdel Cast, and as Jack always says, our favorite and a grammable name.
Speaker 2: Right, I get the most grammable name in the English language.
Speaker 1: I think how I would say qualifies it. It could be Latin dancer Uti, it could be nine tit Dracula.
Speaker 6: Oh, it can be Caitlin d Titanic, Wait, Lauren Dan, Lauren Ded Titanic. All of these are encapsulate the same person who contains multitudes.
Speaker 1: Please welcome my guests, go host Daylan direct E. We woo, we woo.
Speaker 2: And speaking of Titanic, I just have to throw a quick plug in here at the very top because I am hosting a Titanic themed stand up comedy show in New York City. Ever fucking heard of that?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna look it up right now, they'll hold on.
Speaker 2: It's on April fifteenth. Why because that's the day Titanic sank. And is that morbid to like commemorate that with a comedy show? Maybe? I don't care. I love Titanic. So any any people in the New York area or hey, travel to New York if you must, come see me do stand up and there's gonna be Titanic trivia and Titanic shits and jokes and all kinds of stuff April fifteenth at Union Hall in Brooklyn. And then also when I'm on the East coast, I'm gonna be doing shows in State College, Pennsylvania. Why because that's where my family lives and I'm gonna be there, just.
Speaker 1: Chin to kill two birds with one stone.
Speaker 3: A for a second, isn't there like a bar in like Long Island City that has like an out of nowhere Titanic bathroom?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is called fuck I forget what the bar is called. It's called like the Baroness or something. And Blake Wexler, that's how I know. And okay, I fucking posted videos of that bathroom first, and where's the credit? Where's the credit?
Speaker 1: But yes, another white guy skating on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell me about it anyway. So yes, I'm going to be in on the East Coast in April doing shows in State College in New York, and I need everyone to come to those peason thank you.
Speaker 1: And you know you asked me if I ever heard of New York. I had it. I just googled it.
Speaker 2: Okay, what'd you find?
Speaker 1: That's where they did nine to eleven. Oh that's crazy. I don't know. This is just stuff you miss in history class, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Well, revisionist history in American schools, am I right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Let me know what you thought of Loose Change. I'm more curiously you thought about that documentary.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Caitlin. We are thrilled to be joined. I am especially thrilled to be joined by somebody you.
Speaker 3: Look, this is the beauty about being a cool person on the internet. Sometimes you meet other cool people from the internet and you only know their account, and then you meet them in real life.
Speaker 1: And you go, I love this fucking person. They have the best energy. Is like, it's even better than what I thought it would be. Look, most of you probably know her from maybe her podcast hosting the podcast Western Kabuki. Maybe you know her from you know her fucking fire social media accounts. I think most people probably do. And if you don't, you should learn up and we will get to that handle at the end of the show. Or look, you might know her as the social media manager for the Onion. All I have to.
Speaker 3: Say is this person is very special in the first time. Yes, please, welcome to the show.
Speaker 1: Ju Thank you so much for having me. June, what's up? It was just so wild I could I didn't believe.
Speaker 3: I couldn't believe how quick how easily I fanned out on you when we met in Austin. But I did when I was like wait, June, and then I was like wait, Juniper.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, yeah, yeah yeah, And I had never so I don't like know if that's like a video podcast normally, but I don't like watch podcasts. I'm not this is this is not enormous, so I'm not like a video podcast watcher, and like, yeah, I know the daily zeitgeist. So when I heard you guys, I was like, oh shit, like you you both because I met you and Jack, Yeah, that was weird.
Speaker 1: I had so much fun.
Speaker 3: Jack and I were so geeked out after We're like, I was so happy to tell you guys about like super tasting and oh I know that, Yeah, I know I And I honestly thought I was like, she may have some kind of genetic superpower where she has a super palette that food companies pay her for rather than a skill that can be developed, almost like a trade. Anyway, Absolutely, June, thank you so much for joining us. We are going to get to know you a little bit better. But first usually I'm gonna run down some of the stories that are so fucking painful that it's probably easier just to tell people the headlines. And if you want to do some psychic, psychic damage to yourself, you can look into it. But you know what, there's only one huge story to really talk about today that's taking up all of the air, and those are these motherfucking tariffs that Trump just dropped on our asses on Tuesday or the worlds are sorry Wednesday, and we're now starting to come in. Things are coming into focus. Some think it's stupid. Most people think it's stupid. Others would be like, no, this is very intentional and I can we can tell you why. So I think we're gonna touch on that. We'll also touch in with maybe Bill Burr. He was recently someone tried to kind of gotcha him at a recent appearance at the Mark Twain Prize event where Conan received something at the Kennedy Center. He just kind of wasn't happy having it in typical Bill Burr fashion. And we'll also talk about a trailer for a new movie, because you know what movies about. No need fucking dinosaurs. Yeah, yeah, they've gotten that boring.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I learned in school in my master's program.
Speaker 1: Like their history is boring.
Speaker 4: They got to set up a little bit like, yeah, AI is going to take over. We're not going to have actual like school soon the way like the Department of education is going, So what better way to teach people than what like wrinkling and some like fiction. You know, it's more exciting, It's way more fun.
Speaker 1: Don't don't. Don't think about the fucking spread of communism with a panic attack. The fucking US had no, no, they were fucking dynasty. I also I also love that this could be a version of history where people like, exactly, man, that's why we lost nom because the via cam had goddamn velocirapord. That's why we didn't discover that technology yet. Yeah, exactly. All right, Well let's get into it, June. What is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are? What you're into right now?
Speaker 4: So, I mean, I'm kind of like a politics pervert. I am like always every single day for the last like fifteen years of my life, been following day to day politics. So I'm just gonna skip over, like, especially because you know, it's all about the tariffs right now. So I've been like searching some stuff about the terriffs. But then like the first non recent non tariffs thing that I googled was the I think it was in the twenty sixteen primary. A couple of days ago. I poured my friend a beer and it was the head was like so bad. It was like fifty percent beer fifty percent. And my friend was like, you just gave me the Hillary Clinton poor And I was like, wait, what are you talking about? And then she told me to look up the Hillary Clinton beer poor. And there's like a really famous picture of her that I totally forgot about, totally memory hold, where she like, is that one of those Have you ever been to one of those?
Speaker 1: Those? Uh sometimes are at restaurants where you can pour your own beer.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, yeah, like where you put like a card in that like sort of tabs up whatever you yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, So I think Hillary had to have been at something like that. And she poured a little bit of her own beer and she like triumphantly holds up half beer, half head and she looks so thrilled, so excited that she does like the worst poor of all time.
Speaker 3: It looks like almost AI propaganda, you know what I mean? Like I don't know why there is like a like the coloring too, my ammusing is this real? But it really does look like a toddler like just poured a beer, Like look, I did beer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's so uppy.
Speaker 4: It like, Okay, it does actually look like or some ship made that Like it's doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah that AI sort of feel to it, But no, this is very much is like even though the Atlantic does post dubious things a lot of the time, this photo is real.
Speaker 1: So how look.
Speaker 2: Also, the ratio is I would stay closer to like ts head and one third beer.
Speaker 1: It's even worse, worse.
Speaker 4: I couldn't even accomplish the Hillary Clinton poor, Like my poor was better than that, and I was drunk suring it very poor.
Speaker 1: This is why we lost, folks, We lost the we lost the beer vote with that one.
Speaker 4: And this this is just like a little touchtone that I've been I've been thinking a little bit about where you You mentioned that it kind of looks like AI. There's been times where people have posted real photos, real art and people will freak out, being like why are you using AI, and it's like, no, this is real, this is a photo, this is not AI. We're like hitting that point where AI is kind of becoming in some cases like indistinguishable and it's tripping people up and it's it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 1: U oh that people are fooled with Oh.
Speaker 3: It's already for it, like it's already captured. The boomers, they have no ability to discern what's real anymore because I think their media literacy sort of stops that well, it's on TV or it's in a newspaper, and that is sort of like that means it's truth because they grew up in an era where that's just like that, that's where all media was sort of concentrated. And I think now with our generation jen X, we're a little bit savvier, like you can't believe everything you fucking see on TV or read, but then that also turns into you can't believe everything doctors say. Uh, it's just like we are sort of rapidly deteriorating. But yeah, now with this stuff too that you see like there are times when like there are like all these fake movie trailer channels on YouTube that I have errently clicked or not. Aaron's like, oh, the trailer for this is already out, and then like ten seconds in after like, wait, what the fuck am I what?
Speaker 1: Like this fake? At fuck?
Speaker 4: It's a gold mine, Like there's like a gold rush of just ai slop not the first to acknowledge that, but it's just gonna get worse as long as these companies still get like billions in funding for no reason.
Speaker 3: It's there's like a subreddit on the called ai video and a lot of people post like just sort of like you know, they're all just kind of circle jerking around, like, dude, look how good it's fucking getting.
Speaker 1: And some are good and some are bad.
Speaker 3: But someone recently put like a like a very like a real life version of the X Men, but like the female characters and X Men, but like hyper sexualized.
Speaker 5: And people like, dude, all right, man, it's we've arrived, and I'm like, you guys are so fucking stupid. Oh no, look at look at look at the way storms Mohawk moves in the.
Speaker 1: Wind and this is okay cool June, what's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 4: I think, uh, Super Smash Brothers Melee for the GameCube competitive scene is very underrated.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well because I am I love It's been a minute since I've gone to a tournament, so so you can, so people can assassinate me for that. You may, I'm kind of a fraud. I mean, Captain Falcon ok and I for almost over ten years now have been playing the game competitively. I am not like the best, I'm not like top one hundred in the world, but I'm a lover, you know, I'm a lover.
Speaker 1: Of the game.
Speaker 4: It's a wonderful game. Highly ch I highly recommend checking out the competitive space for Melee, in particular the GameCube one. So much fun, great community, great people.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always see like clips. I mean I played the game like casually. I think, like most people do when you're like in college or you know that era, we're gathering around a gaming system and you had no job or times or or no job in plenty of free time.
Speaker 4: Like sort of meant like, yeah, we're playing GameCube. Yeah, a very normal way to play Melee. Yeah, compared to the insane way that mean people like me play the game.
Speaker 3: But like I just I occasionally see these clips of like the most epic matches and how people are just surviving on their last legs and not always.
Speaker 1: That warms my heart. But then I realized how robust that whole scene is.
Speaker 3: It's anything you suggest for people who want to dabble their toe.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think to watch what to watch?
Speaker 4: That's a really hard question because there's so many iconic uh sets anything like any set I think with like AMSA, he's a Yoshi player. He revolutionized the Yoshi meta. He was thought to be like a very low tier character for most of the games competitive history, and then in like the mid twenty tens, he was like, no, Yoshi can be topp tire and he's like a top fifteen player in the world. Now Yoshi, there's like Yoshi Renaissance. So any like mid like I think it was Kings of Keli three Amza versus Anyone at that tournament was like his breakout event. So I highly recommend that.
Speaker 1: I love that. It's like all these tournaments are like concerts in your mind. You're like, oh god, let me let me think of one that Yo are going to.
Speaker 4: Really they really are, Like so there's some iconic like pivotal tournaments that I still like ten year old tournaments like are just so pivotal to me. And I remember, yeah, Caitlin, were you ever you ever?
Speaker 1: Did you ever? Do you ever dabble with the GameCube?
Speaker 2: With the games I never had a game cube. I went straight from wait is game Cube?
Speaker 1: I love hang On is Hot?
Speaker 2: Then well it's too late Miles GameCube is Nintendo. Yeah, I skipped over that, and I also skipped over the week. I went straight from like classic like nineteen eighties. Oh no, no, no, we had an N sixty four, so I had like all those shitty ones and then I had an N sixty four and then I skipped all over a bunch of them and then went straight to the switch and mostly I play Overcooked. I love it, yeah best, And so people obviously have.
Speaker 1: You played over Yeah, that's my favorite.
Speaker 2: If you want to test the quality of your relationship with someone, of your communication skills, of your collaboration skills, you have to play Overcooked with people, and if you aren't not, if you you just and then sometimes you have to break up with someone because it didn't work out. I based on how you play.
Speaker 1: You know, it's wild.
Speaker 3: Before I got engaged to her Majesty, we my like one of my best friends put us onto Overcooked, and I like him and I grew up playing games together, so like we figured it out really quick because we had been playing like nintent, like switching the controller back and forth since we were like five years old, so it was easy to like hop into this and then her match is like, oh, what game is this?
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh yeah, hop In, hop.
Speaker 3: In, And the way I had to adjust my expectations for someone who I've been gaming with since a child, and like my partner who does not really game.
Speaker 1: It got wild. But we dialed in our communications so much that I was like, this is we can make it.
Speaker 2: We can make we can you can? You can get married now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I love the genre of game like Mario Party and Overcooked that could just ruin relationships those. I think there needs to be more of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Yeah, June, what is something that you think is overrated?
Speaker 4: Something I think is overrated? And I chose this independently of before we were going to talk about the tariffs and Curtis Yarvin. But I think Curtis Jarvin in particular, his writing and his quality of writing is insanely overrated for someone who's like the intellectual of like the anarcho capitalist movement right now and like the neo reactionaries. I don't know if you've ever actually read any of his writing, but oh my dude, he is god awful at writing. Like I'm not a good writer, Like I am horrible at writing. There's the reason why.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: I'm a good like shit posty short form writer. I'm not like a good like article writer. I don't do like, you know, two thousand word article when I was when I was in college, my girlfriend at the time had to proofread and like ghost edit everything I wrote, because you know, I'm just like my writing long form, it gets a little messy. But Curtis Jarvin, I'm better than that dude. Yeah, Like, I think most people are better than that dude is writing as dog shit.
Speaker 1: Boring, I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there is a Behind the Bastards episode which I would encourage people to check out if you need a primer for Curtis Jarvin. But June, give people a sort of not I guess there's so much you can say about Curtis Yarvin, But what what would be your log line for people who are like when they say who is Curtis Yarvin?
Speaker 2: Such as me? I might say that to break it.
Speaker 1: Down for you, break it down for it you did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So this is a guy that he continues and this this is a guy that went under my radar for a long time and I think continues to because he's not really talked about in the media. He's not really acknowledged in any way, so people are just like, oh, he's people make the mistake of, oh, he's just some like online weirdo. He's not important to focus on. But he's not just an online weirdo. He is much like many of us, but he is a particular type of weirdo who is like genuinely like he is. He calls himself neo reactionary. He is essentially what amounts to I guess, a right wing economic theorist. And he has very close ties to Peter Teel, who is you know, very close friends with Trump. Musk runs Jadevans, he owns JD, he owns genuinely, he owes his entire career to him basically, but he is like an anti democracy, anti freedom technou. He what he wants is to destroy the US government and most governments through his theory called the Butterfly Revolution and his rage theory. So basically, long story short, he wants to destroy democratic governments in favor of creating small city state like technocracies run by people like Peter tele and yeah CEO.
Speaker 1: As the figurehead, and.
Speaker 4: He basically wants it to like you have to up into different zones, so you could like free movement to like, Oh, I'm sick of living in the Elon Musk zone. I wanted to move to the Peter tele zone. He basically what it amounts to, I think the easiest way to put it is he just wants pure global anarcho capitalism.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and they're on their way. I mean, you look at it right now. It's in happening in real time. We have Elon Musk acting as the CEO of America making wild cuts, destabilizing the government because of the other huge part of it is like accelerationism too, is that they're like, we need everything to fucking crumble and die, so people are ready for a just cataclysmic societal change.
Speaker 4: That's what's super relevant with all of this is it does seem like the powers behind Trump's second term are all believers in the butterfly revolution and the destroying the economy government to get us to that point. That is like it's playing out in front of us like his theory. If you take a take a read of his Butterfly Revolution from twenty twenty two, it's it's kind of scary how it's all lining up on Trump on Rice is.
Speaker 2: How dare he be smirched the good name of butterflies.
Speaker 4: I love butterflies. I studied biology in college. I love the monarch. I love you know, milkweed. I love the connection between the like milkweed and monarch butterflies. He is shaming, shaming the beautiful creature.
Speaker 1: Really, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: All right, look, we're gonna talk about this. So we're gonna take a quick break and we're gonna get into the tariffs because even though these people think they're smart, they're I think they're doing like the dumbest version.
Speaker 1: Of the dumb thing they're trying to do.
Speaker 3: Even like, I feel like there are other ways to bring a total economic collapse, I guess the world markets, but we're doing it in like this weird car salesman way with.
Speaker 1: Like discount rates and shit, it's car dealerships have full control.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll take a quick break and we'll be right back. And we are back. So Liberation Day came and went. It was April second, a day that will live in infamy for sure. Well, I mean every fucking day at this point is.
Speaker 1: Do you feel Do you feel liberated?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I feel liberated from all of the stocks that I had.
Speaker 1: That I look at all. I look at my stock portfolio, and I'm like, what happened? It is?
Speaker 3: It is one thing where again, like the right now, a lot of people are like, you know, we've had we have a very healthy economy.
Speaker 1: It's like, you have a very healthy stock market. It's not like if we're talking about dollars and cents and how working people get, you know, around their day to day lives. We do not have a healthy economy by any stretch of the imagination. We have rampant inequality.
Speaker 3: But anyway, if you look at Liberation Day, there was this whole thing. He was like, these are reciprocal tariffs because America we're tired of being used and abused by the world, you know, leaning on countries with predatory loans from the IMF and then making making them open up military bases that we run on their land. We are such victims all the time. It's it's it's terrible, it's terrible.
Speaker 4: It's horrible when we spread our ideology to the people of all these other countries. Having power for realism is horrible.
Speaker 1: You know how hard it is. Killing like socialist revolutionaries in Latin America, like we had to create like a whole school to train people how to do it, and like custs like one million dollars. Fuck, oh my god, so fucking hard. They can take advantage early early God.
Speaker 3: Anyway, so the reciprocal tariffs are meant again because it's all through. I think they're the first players, like they're trying to sell it, especially to conservatives, as this is America taking back its power and so we're talking about it's like it's reciprocity.
Speaker 1: They're they're fucking us over, therefore we have to fuck them over. But really they're crashing the economy.
Speaker 3: So for starters, he's putting tariffs just on two islands that aren't even inhabited by human beings.
Speaker 1: I don't even know they existed.
Speaker 3: I never I had And no disrespect to this island that has no human beings on it, but and no disrespect to the penguins and shit. But the Herd and McDonald islands. I thought that was a joke, Like I was like Heard and McDonald.
Speaker 1: I'm like what amber Heard and Michael McDonald have their own islands, but no, they sit like between Australia and South Africa. It takes days to get there by boat. No one lives there. So but again, keep the penguins in your thoughts because you know they they're probably not gonna be able to export anything to the United States.
Speaker 4: And they they look beautiful though, like I know, they look gorgeous. They look like Fuji as an island. Actually, we don't have to punish nature once. It's like they're beautiful.
Speaker 3: Just some Howard Lutnik shows up with like a fucking stick and he's like, hey, come up off your money. So some have suggested that the islands were included because the tarifflest was thrown together using like a cursory Wikipedia search of like world's nations. That's one theory. Another is they went by what domain names exist for different countries and just went, okay, everything that has a specified domain that's a country, and we are going to have to go after them.
Speaker 1: Other people are like.
Speaker 3: Eh Okham's razor maybe say it is probably the CIA fact book.
Speaker 1: That feels like maybe like the White House's Wikipedia.
Speaker 3: Because that is one of the places where they list these you know, these two islands. But really beyond like the stupidity of like where these tariffs are being levied like one was like on a military base.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, what understand the American government is taxing a US military base in our country, which is insane, Like that has to that cannot be in.
Speaker 1: Its a list. And look we're using AI so we're gonna break a few eggs here, just crocket. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of that time. Do you remember when Gosh, I'm going to get the details wrong, probably, but like like Trump booked an event at the Four Seasons. Oh yeah, Like it was actually like a car mechanic or something that he just called.
Speaker 4: The total landscaping is what it was. Yeah, that was the thing. I think Giuliani was like dripping paint off his face. He was like the tam he was dripping.
Speaker 3: It was the beginning of the stop the steal thing in the dumbest fashion. He thought it was a four seasons and it was four seasons total landscaping, and then it became like the lib's favorite shirt.
Speaker 1: I'm guilty. I did get one for Christmas and it was.
Speaker 4: But it's giving that yeah yeah, yeah, not very talked about much today, but I do love how Donald Trump was just like funck Giuliani left him in the dust he is in this current administration sacrificed him on the altar. R.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, really funny. Dude, Giuliani doesn't have ship. Every time I read about him, he's like crying in court about how he has nothing anymore, and he's like, what do you want me to do?
Speaker 4: Trump has no loyalty to his biggest supporters. No loyalty. It's kind of hilarious.
Speaker 3: This is and and we'll get to that too because because this is part of a much larger picture of these tariffs. So the tariffs themselves another bit of an issue here because they are called reciprocal tariffs, but then they're like they're actually discounted. If you look at some of the the graphic cards that he was holding up, he was sort of saying like, Okay, these are the tariffs charged to the U. Like a first of all, all of these numbers on there are absolutely foolish and made up, like they're not based on anything real. As many people have pointed out. The bigger thing here though, is how did they even like come up with this shit? Like this just seems like arbitrary numbers. But a journalist that used write for The New York or James Curvetski, I think I'm saying that right, reverse engineered the formula and basically said Trump took or not Trump. The people in the White House took each country's trade deficit and divided it by their exports to the United States and then did that by half. That's not really important. Ye, what's an incredible way to do it. Yeah, but yeah, like so, which means that no actual tariffs were being calculated, Like, that's the thing we need to think about here. It was just sort of what's the trade deficit and what is the amount of the number of dollars that we're doing in terms of exports imports, and it has not like the tariffs are not being incorporated into the calculation, and so others call it a more of a policy of surplus targeting. The numbers are so off. The thirty nine percent tariff that the EU supposedly charges on his little card sheet, according to the White House, is like their own numbers. It's more than ten times higher than the actual average weighted tariff charged by the EU. It's two point seven percent, but we're calling it fucking thirty nine percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like suicidal. It's like a suicidal tariff essentially, right, yeah, like what y'all I buckle up.
Speaker 3: The White House has eventually like they they're like, oh, yeah, we can show you our mathre Like it wasn't what you're saying.
Speaker 1: It was totally not done that way. You want to see our like our approach here it is in simple mathematics of the bunch of Greek letters, So it looks fancy like fancy.
Speaker 2: Mad scribbled on a napkin from.
Speaker 4: Yeah, essentially, from what I understand, it is exactly the same calculation, exactly exactly, except.
Speaker 1: There's Greek numbers.
Speaker 3: So it looks I think, to like the average person who like isn't like wonky about economics or anything, they're like, yeah, I mean, that's different than what that guy just said. I'm seeing a triangle and like a little backwards e or something.
Speaker 1: It's weird shit in there. Definitely smart stuff going on to the White House. But again this has led to another thing that people are asking a big question here was this generated by artificial intelligence? Now it seems like it seems like it was right. Yeah, I mean, the White House hasn't confirmed it, but many people have looked into asked chat GPT Gemini, Claude Grock, all these large language models, basically saying the prompt was, what is a quote easy way to solve trade deficits and put the US on an even playing be an even playing field. Then it spit out the deficit divided by exports formulas that we just talked about right now, So people are like, oh.
Speaker 3: What's this, what's the math here? Exactly what are we getting at? The one thing credit to Gemini, it did caution that the quote real world economic implications of this suggestion are quote far more complex and could lead to substantial negative consequences. Even the fucking AI knows. They're like, look, man, I don't know what the fuck I'm saying, but I do know that this is dangerous if you try to do this in real life.
Speaker 1: And I'm out.
Speaker 4: I think this is just a sign of what's to come though with with well maybe in particular with right wing governments. There's been a lot of people that have done a lot of interesting pieces recently. I can't name on off the top of my head, but of the how AI and AI generated art is the new aesthetic of fascism and how they like these people, these far right wingers love just like slop generated content and text and all of this stuff, and they are taking full advantage of this for the destroyer of all of us basically.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a good point because we were just talking the other day about how they all attack the concept of empathy, and that's like fundamental to get people to be all in on just fucking attacking marginalized people and eventually just their neighbors. Like, if there's no such thing as empathy, then you'll there's no need to consider what the experience is like for another human being on earth. But then that also, I feel like is a huge part of making good art, is like you need that ability to like express something deeper and AI is like to your point in June, that's the perfect way because these people have no fucking empathy, but they want to make art or do.
Speaker 4: They do view artists and writers and comedians and all these people as like the cool kids. There's a reason why I feel like they idolize comedians and view them as like their thought leaders. I don't know if you know who Asthma. Of course you two, you're you are the thought leader of this of this podcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've encountered Asmund Gold's content on YouTube a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Yes, there was a recent clip of him when the studio Ghibli variants from chat GPT were coming out, like those those art creations, and he was talking about like he was showing some of them and being like artists, real artists, he said, are going to have to get real jobs soon. He was like loading that artists, like physical actual real artists were going to suffer because of AI art and how like good it's getting, how efficient it's getting at creating something that passes as art, and and people like this relish in the destruction of like I think for a long time, groups of people that were viewed as like the cool kids like artists, right, writers, And I think that's why they're going all in on this, because they can destroy art and take control of it for their own that lets them have another vector of fish propaganda for themselves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, yeah, I mean it's just so funny too, Like they don't realize it's all derived from human creativity, so it has a ceiling in terms of like what it can actually do in terms of creating something that's novel or new. Because right now, are you being like yeah, sure you did nine to eleven.
Speaker 4: Ghibli okay, yeah, like average capitalist we all asked for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean we're so obsessed with nine eleven. I don't think we're ever going to forget it. And yeah, yeah, well no, I was. My friend was talking.
Speaker 3: He has like a like a gen Z like skater neighbor, and he's like he's like, dude, it's like it's he's like, I feel so uncool when I see these dudes like hanging outside. I started talking to them. He's like he was saying, how these guys like they're so into nine to eleven, Like it's like as a vibe, like as an aesthetic. Yeah, like they go to like there's like a nine to eleven party that they go to, like holy there's like a club night.
Speaker 2: And I was like, can I feel bad for my Titanic show that I'm putting on?
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, no, look, don't don't feel bad. There was someone someone that you're stoll be like too soon, too soon. That was nineteen twelve, given, come on now, come on now, America nineteen fourteen. Wait, nineteen twelve.
Speaker 2: No, it wasn't two years.
Speaker 1: So my grandmother was.
Speaker 3: Born two days before the Titanic sank and I remember her, and she when her one hundredth birthday was around the day anniversary.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Yah, you know you're so true. You're so true.
Speaker 1: I am so true. Thank you so much for recognizing that. Sorry, what were you saying to you?
Speaker 4: America hasn't even fallen to the tariffs yet, and there was already a America has Fallen party.
Speaker 1: I'm going to so.
Speaker 4: I think America just loves disasters. We love disasters.
Speaker 3: We love disasters because it helps us usher in new forms of authoritarianism.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's the embrace of irony as like a replacement for like any emotion, Like like, I love irony. I love the veil of irony. But it gets to a point where we, I don't know, we use it to cover up actual like lack of hope in this world. I feel like, yeah, the loss of like a genuine nature I think leads to the embrace of a more insane irony.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally damn true. Words.
Speaker 2: You're so true too.
Speaker 1: You're so true, June. That's the thing about you, Caitlin, you too. Everyone's so true on this show.
Speaker 3: This is too much. The truth is, they say, they say, The truth is what out there no this right here on this show truth. The world has already responded to these wacky ass tariffs. Mind you, these are going to cause so much pain for American people. Like if you for people that are living I said, for people that are living paycheck to paycheck, we're looking at an average of three hundred dollars more a month. You are going to need to find That's what the that's what this means, because it's a little abstract when people do percentages, but when you really break down what they say projected around thirty eight hundred dollars more for like most people, not most or like you know that that sort of weighted average, that's three hundred dollars extra month.
Speaker 1: That's this is to be able to afford.
Speaker 3: Like everything's gonna because everything around you, the cost is gonna go up. Yeah, yeah, it's gonna take a second, but it will. And when it does, that's when we're gonna really see some.
Speaker 1: Terrible, terrible outcomes.
Speaker 3: The world is already beginning to respond, like the EU is basically saying like, okay, so yeah, y'all want to fuck around, Like we're not about to get fucked around by Trump, and we are gonna launch reciprocal tariffs. We have, we have plenty of countermeasures that we are going to deploy. The UH German Economic Minister have this to say quote, that is what I see, that Donald Trump will buckle under pressure, that he corrects his announcements under pressure. But the logical consequence is that he then also needs to feel the pressure. And this pressure now needs to be unfolded from Germany, from Europe, in the alliance with other countries, and then we will see who is the stronger one in this arm wrestle boo. So just so you know, because Trump's whole thing, a lot of people are painting this as like it's a racket, like it's a it's a protection scheme, because this is the way Trump can extract further concessions out of other nations. But I do want to play this one clip where Howard Lutnik, who is the Commerce Secretary, He's on CNN. He's being asked on CNN like, okay, well this is obviously we all know logically, we've all seen Ferris Mueler's day off. Tariffs don't work, they're bad, So what can these countries do to potentially get right? And we don't have to completely fuck up the global economy. This is what Howard Lutnik has to say.
Speaker 8: So the European Union and China, they have already vailed to retaliate. At what point would the administration consider pulling back on tariffs, especially on those ten percent across the board tariffs. Where is the room for negotiation.
Speaker 9: I don't think there's any chance that President Trump's kind of back off his tariffs. This is the reordering of global trade, right, That's what's going to happen. But the world should stop exploiting the United States from America. Let our farmers sell their products, let our ranches sell their products. They won't take lobster in Europe or the UK. I mean, why won't they take Americans down?
Speaker 8: They didn't for a while, but now they do.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 3: They don't because no, he just you were just corrected, you asshole, But because any els is like, they don't take our beef, and and she was like, yeah, because of the hormones and stuff. They just have higher standards for what they feed people, Like yes, smart fucking whatever you.
Speaker 4: Know, think RFK maha that make America healthy again would be all on board with those regulations and those standards in the UK or in.
Speaker 1: Like the EU. Yeah, it turns out no.
Speaker 3: But again, we all know that Trump doesn't actually come up with these methodologies himself, Like he has a team of like ethno nationalists and Curtis Jarvin loving techno fascists and Argo Cat like all these fucking people that surround who make their way into the inner orbit and whisper these sweet little nothings into his ear, but frame it in a way that appeals to his sense of revenge or whatever, and like this is this, this could be the way maybe we should try something Like this part of me is wondering, like because you know, we've seen how Peter Teal has been just lurking in the on the sidelines, getting people like JD. Vance into the Vice presidency, getting Elon Musk and like just bringing Silicon Valley closer to like basically the executive.
Speaker 1: Branch and melding them into one thing. I'm like, is this the plan that Peter Teal and Elon.
Speaker 3: Like we're thinking of specifically when he was like we gotta fuck we gotta wreck the fucking economy to get this shit going, or is it like Trump had the idea just like how we saw when clearly, like when Putin's like, you gotta fucking figure out how I'm gonna beat Ukraine and he's like, fuck this guy, and we're turning our backs on him, and he's like, dude, that's too obvious, Like don't fucking do it?
Speaker 4: Like that is I actually do think this is the plan, because what's the same the I think his first name, Scott Besan, the Treasury secretary. He has been like posting like this is what we want. This is the exact reaction we expected. This is just the beginning. Like these people are all in on this. The people that are I Trump right now, and I'm not even like I'm not trying to say this in an inflammatory or exaggerated fashion. They are anarcho capitalists that are essentially running the economic policy of this second Trump term. So I do think like this, like shock to the economy is genuinely I believe the plan.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's not the way they intended the world. I'm out, but I do think this is their first step to really getting us to that point that they want to.
Speaker 1: The next thing is going to be to downgrade the America's credit standing. You know, that's the next hurdle that we're going to cross and is going to really, I think, show people that this is very much intentional and this is the road to the Butterfly Revolution. What a fucking nice name for that.
Speaker 4: I know, it sounds beautiful, it's so deceiving. Yeah, they love their Yeah, yeah, I hate that. It's so indignified saying that. And then what the butterfly Revolution is is, Oh, we're going to destroy every like the entire world basically.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, we'll see what happens here. This is going to be gall we have. Unfortunately, we have front row seats to the shit show.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing is that it hasn't even really started yet. I don't remember who said this, but like you know, right now, all we're feeling is like the stock market collapse and to an extent that money is fake. The stock market isn't real. But someone I wish I remember who said this, said that the stock market might not be real, but the layoffs and yeah, I canom a cardship from that will be real. So it will be hard very soon.
Speaker 1: Probably because you think about how publicly traded companies balance their books, and one big thing is like, well, we need to cut costs and that'll make the shareholders happy and maybe we can start correcting it from here. But it's also wild to see people so many like the vibes on like Bloomberg, TV, CNBC all these shows where they're just like I see NBC. One dude is like, this is actually like worse than the worst case scenario that like even we thought.
Speaker 4: Like so they could, they would have a gun to their own head on television. That's what it feels like.
Speaker 1: Because they really look like they're like, but this was our sacred god, like the stock market. What but the last time you were in office, like we all made a ton of money and then what what he This isn't the thing I mean he said.
Speaker 3: They've been saying this like the there's gonna be some pain before things get better. That wasn't just because they were talking about that's why the egg prices aren't going down. So I'm with the like the larger picture here, which is there is going to be some real financial hardship. So we'll see where this goes, don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, We'll see. We'll see who knows.
Speaker 3: To to soon to tell, But just a little bit of perspective here would seem.
Speaker 1: Like it's going to be uh, pretty difficult. It is wild to get like emails already from like fucking like online stores or like, hey, just because the tariffs are going up, doesn't mean our prices have to. And I'm like, are y'all fucking st sid This shit's gonna look so stupid in like a few months. But okay, And.
Speaker 4: There's still some true believers that are like, oh, this is part of the plan. Five d chests. I watched the plan. Trust the plan.
Speaker 1: Oh man, you better learn a trade, You better learn a gross of food. All right, to go to the sock factory. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back to talk about some more fun things after this, and we're back. Bill Burr, he has been getting a lot.
Speaker 3: Of attention recently because he's you know, says funny shit and is mean to Elon Musk and hates billionaires, so that that's kind of getting people's attention.
Speaker 1: But recently he was at this Kennedy Center event where Conan O'Brien was getting like the Mark Twain Prize. Uh, and these journalists really tried to like do this thing where they wanted to kind of pulk the beehive and try and get like a quote out of him and maybe some news and Bill Bert, I mean credit to him. He knew exactly what the fuck was going on, and it just this is just I just want to play this exchange because it's very interesting to see how like the media was going to try and get a little bit more sort of stuff that they could like try and maybe paint his words or his worldview as being like, I mean, look at look at what he said. He's crazy, He's off the mark. He said, Elon Musk is a laminated face with air plugs. Cunt. That's so terrible. Wow. So here is bil Bert on the red carpet, just trying to support Conan O'Brien and he gets hit with ay man, what about Luigi Masoi? Your reaction to Luigi and MAGIONI is reading up?
Speaker 2: You know that perhaps you've been supportive of what he did.
Speaker 1: What is your take on that if you were reading up.
Speaker 7: I don't think you read up on it because I said what I felt about it, and I said, what a lot of people he said took.
Speaker 1: It that way?
Speaker 2: So could you clarify?
Speaker 7: No, I'm not going to just have some contrable for moments you can get clicks.
Speaker 1: I'm not doing that. I mean, I'm here to for Conan, I'm not I'm not doing all of this. What do you bring up next week? In Middle East?
Speaker 7: I went to summer school three out of four years in high school. I'm not qualified to talk about this.
Speaker 1: Warming. You said about Elon that he was ruining ear if I saw in the view, you're critical of him. What do you think of all the boycotts, even the viol I don't watch the news.
Speaker 7: I don't watch the news. I have no idea what's going on. I watch Instagram. I watch people wipe out on motorcycles. I watch lions and hyenas fight each other.
Speaker 1: This is the things that I do.
Speaker 7: And I don't think you should be asking a comedian.
Speaker 1: Your German medians are on top of current events.
Speaker 7: You're no, no, that's that's weak that you guys passing the buck. You guys need to have balls again, which you don't. You guys always goes.
Speaker 1: Should we be thinking this? You guys presents stuff like that.
Speaker 7: You see guys just to have balls, you need you get your balls back.
Speaker 1: And it's not my job. I am a dancing clown. God, is he's so real for that?
Speaker 4: Like I expect that so much because, like I just mentioned, I mean earlier that like so many people look at comedians as like the profits of today's age is like having a perspective that surely no one else can. But they were trying to catch him up with that because he's straying away from like the right wing version of that, where like Joe Rogan sits down all right today we will today we will learn about how vaccines are killing everyone, right and people like seals right exactly.
Speaker 1: And I think it's funny too. All the comments this this is a clip from Twitter, Like the comments underneath are a mix of people like there's my king and other people like dude, he's compromised.
Speaker 4: You had that page that the Twitter page up. I saw that reply that said something about like, oh, he might not be a George Carlin fan. It's like, I'm sorry not to be like a George Carlin like lover, but like one of George Carlin's most famous bits was about how he was ready and excited for the destruction of the entire world, Like George Carlin would be loving the era we live in, right, well, hell yeah, he would be going out being like thank god, these capitalist pigs are destroying everything, like like.
Speaker 1: Going mascot for everyone to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah it is Yeah, I mean Bill Burr continues to to to say that shit, it's funny to just see like again, how just merely again because what he's saying isn't necessarily like novel in the sense like no one has said these things. But it's that he's connecting his sense of outrage and his sort of comedic perspective on how absurd and obscene the inequality is around us and our lack of ability to contend with any of it and the absurdity or like the capitulation of media, et cetera. Just he's like just brings it all together for a lot of people be.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's right, that's this is this is something so we will see. I feel like the Democrats are like, do we do we get Bill Bird a run?
Speaker 3: But no, he would never he would never know that, he would never do it. No, No, But I'm saying, like, when you think about how lazy the thinking is, Like I saw something where they're like Adam twenty two needs to be the new Joe Rogan of the left.
Speaker 1: I was like, okay, wow, we're really we're really just think again. The lesson for Democrats after this election was we need to find a podcaster.
Speaker 4: That was like, it's not I'm honored that they think that. Yeah, Frank and you used to be too.
Speaker 3: Right, but it's but I'm like, no, motherfuckers, you need to blow up the status quo and stand for something in opposition to the status quo because that's the thing that people are fucking responding to, not a podcaster. Absolute buffoons. But again they're they're here to maintain that. So anyway, let's move on. I asked everybody. He said, gave a little homework to Caitlin. In June, I said, look, we got to a movie trailer I want to talk about for the.
Speaker 1: Film Primitive War.
Speaker 3: It's the trailer just dropped for it, and I we have to look. Let me first give people the log line about this. I know up top I teased a nom war about dinosaurs. This is the log line or the paragraph they used to describe this film. Quote set in Vietnam in nineteen sixty eight. What a big year for to set this in the Vietnam War.
Speaker 1: The primitive war movie will follow a search and rescue team known as Vulture Squad, sent to an isolated jungle valley to reveal the fate of a missing Green Beret platoon. As they hunt through the primordial depths of the valley and the casualties mount, the Vulture Squad members must embrace their savage instincts to survive the horrors they face, interesting including the ultimate aprec apex predators, Americans. Oh wait, no, dinosaurs. Okay, so that's.
Speaker 4: Really convenient that, Yeah, dinosaurs were the villain. That's the true villain. Sothing is that.
Speaker 1: That was the first thing that struck me. So we all watched the trailer, yeah, and I was like, this is a weird reframing of such a bad conflict that is so on its face backwards and just unjustifiable. But then they're like, but then they got then they got fucked up by the dinosaurs, so then they were back on their sides, and it's not even just like a reframing of entirely what happened.
Speaker 4: And of course it's like fictional and all of that, but I still love at the end of the day that the true victims of this were were not the people that we the Americans invaded. But the Americans exactly, exactly, they're the victims. They were straight by the dinosaurs, not.
Speaker 1: The Mong people or the people of Laos, where tons and tons of munitions were just dropped like a fucking drop, like a bomb drop off on their way back from doing bombing runs. No, no, no, it's it's it's Jeremy Piven with a bad Southern accent. Caitlin. What's what's your take on seeing the smashup of Tigerland and Jurassic Park?
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for asking. This is my time to shine as a thought leader, yes.
Speaker 1: A thought leader and film expert.
Speaker 2: Yes, and a master degree havever in cinema. It seems to me as though someone wind up.
Speaker 1: It seems.
Speaker 2: I'm an intellectual for academic, if you will. It feels like someone watched god Zilla minus one and was like.
Speaker 1: Wonderful, great movie, got the complete.
Speaker 2: And they're like, okay, that, but like, let's change it a little bit. It'll be the Vietnam War instead of like, you know, World War two, It'll be it'll be dinosaurs instead of god So you know, American afayat right, right, right, and then and then it's and then they made that, and you know, I a plus filmmaking.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, the shot with the knife in the philosophertors, I like, I can't lie, that's kind of that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm that it's so fucking wacky that I'm like, I kind of I might check it out. I might check it out.
Speaker 4: The perfect slop, pure yeah, and a lot of adult traded beautiful slop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's actually I didn't realize this is based on existing ip there's a book that came out. It bixed on a book that the director options. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but apparently so this is being released in July, which not incidentally is also when Universal is putting out Jurassic World Rebirth. So look, we might have a Barbenheimer summer with I don't know, I mean, they're always trying to make this happen. I don't know how we match these two.
Speaker 2: But okay, what's it called Primitive War, Primitive Jurassic.
Speaker 1: World War, World War of.
Speaker 2: The World's Jurassic Jurassic War of the Primitive.
Speaker 1: World's twenty five, the Year of the Dinosaur.
Speaker 3: Yes, let's yes, exactly, let's put it. Let's yeah, Okay, let's run that by Hollywood because we do have their number.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we'll just see what they think.
Speaker 3: But yeah, this is going to be This is like they're calling it a mockbuster. I hadn't heard that term before.
Speaker 1: I haven't either. What is that, Caitlin? Have you heard this term before? No?
Speaker 2: But I see where it's going.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because they're like, clearly they're not trying to say this is like we saw the production quality. It's less than big budget studio, but they're.
Speaker 2: Doing not horrible.
Speaker 1: No, they're like movie slot right, because.
Speaker 3: They are getting like like they're using a lot of visual effects techniques like this sort of VFX studio, like how they did for a lot of Disney shows where it's all projected behind them, Like clearly you can tell there's a lot of blue screen and stuff like that. But yeah, this mockbuster sort of thing is interesting because then I clicked on another article about how this is kind of like becoming like a burgeoning sort of like lane where people are like lending, like people from Star Wars worked on another movie this director did that had Ken Jong in it that I had never heard of before. It was called, uh, it's called occupation rainfall never hurts it, but like it only costs like sixteen million dollars to make, and then it like it made money back from it even though no one really heard about it, and like you were like, oh, this is an interesting lane where you can kind of turn a profit without spending all your money and trying to do all this big budget shit.
Speaker 2: Did it get a theatrical release in the US? Like, I don't know why they like export it to, Like it must be like.
Speaker 3: On streaming or some shit, you know what I mean. I have no idea, but it they apparently people watch it and like tem Uira Morrison, isn't it who you know plays Jango Fett and Boba Fet and all the Star Wars shit.
Speaker 4: But anyway, is the Mockbuster like a natural evolution of like like the like early two thousands to like early twenty tens era of like weird parody films where they were like kind of not super serious. Everyone knew they weren't super serious, but they were still like taken seriously as movies. Is this like the next era of that? Is that like what it kind of is saying?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's basically sort of like this kind of gave way to like the B movie. Yeah, so like that were sort of informed by Blockbuster films that then they're just gonna draft off of and then be like, hey what about this kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So someone who recently rewatched cinematic masterpiece Snakes on a Plane, Yes, yes, yes, oh on, I feel like there's there's some correlation there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh, absolutely absolutely, because like there's there's like also other ones like this. There was like a Missus Doubtfire sort of send up that was called Wanted Perfect Father.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also yeah, then have you heard of Nick? These these films are from the Philippines that are using there's like a Filipino version that's where the Missus doubt Fire Perfect Wanted Perfect Father came from. And then there's a Titanic parody also from the Philippines. And they also have Bobo Cop, a parody of RoboCop.
Speaker 2: There's how do you spell the Titanic one? I need to watch this immediately. I can't believe I.
Speaker 3: Didn't t A T A Y And I see there's not it's not even hyper LinkedIn the Wikipedia article. But I'm sure we can ask Brian the editor, who has found many obscure films for us that we've tried to watch.
Speaker 1: Locate this one for us too, Caitlin, the way your face just immediately went to your computer from like I must find this now, what is this?
Speaker 2: I thought, because there are so many bad either like knockoff kind of Titanic sequel, because there's Titanic two, right, there's Titanic six sixty six. There's a bunch of animated movies that came out.
Speaker 1: In the late nineties or like Italian or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're yeah, there's like a legend of Titanic is one of them? And then I think that's a sequel legend?
Speaker 4: Is that the one with like the mouse? It was the Mouse? I saw that in high school and I was blown away. Like one of my friends was like, you got to check this shit out. It's one of the most astonishingly like bad but like good because it's so bad movie you.
Speaker 2: Remember, Yes, Tentacles, Yes, the Giant Octopus. Because not to spoil legend of Titanic listeners, but here's what happens.
Speaker 1: On hold on, hold on, I do I do owe a debt of responsibility to the listener. This is a spoiler alert, just so you know if you need to skip ahead, skip ahead two minutes so you don't ruin. What is Titanic too?
Speaker 2: You said Legend of Titanic animated feature from I think nineteen ninety eight. Okay, it is a story in which I mean lots of lots of stuff happens. It's a rich text.
Speaker 1: It's very bad.
Speaker 2: But the climax is basically, Titanic strikes the iceberg, it breaks and you know, breaks in half, the all classic stuff. But there's an enormous octopus named Tentacles, and he uses his tentacles to put the Titanic back together and he saves everyone.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's a very positive lives and if I remember correctly, there's like a wonderful like music sequence. It's like a film for everyone. Basically, it's what you're trying to say, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, wow, wow, fantastic.
Speaker 2: I know we've just blown you away.
Speaker 1: Where can I find that? Where do I watch that YouTube?
Speaker 2: Dot com?
Speaker 1: Oh? The YouTube?
Speaker 2: Oh shit, I'm pretty sure it's still there.
Speaker 1: That's why I'm having that.
Speaker 3: Those are the best movies though, for real, are on fully on YouTube. It's not a good movie unless the whole thing is on YouTube without ads. That's truly, or it's like broken up into sixteen clips. That's fine because I was like earlier back in the day when you had to string together.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's like a ten minute time limit on YouTube, remember that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not any now when I just now listen to what is love the ten hour loop version.
Speaker 1: Kids these days they don't understand how hard consuming video was. No, no, now sh it's just popping up on their servers or whatever the fuck they're using these days.
Speaker 4: On your tam phone in your dang little pocket. You can pull that up. It's everyone time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Speaking as a Gen Alpha child me myself, Yeah, I guess I didn't really know what it was like.
Speaker 1: Canonically gen Alpha.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, in my head canon, you are Gen Alpha.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you, Thank you well, June. Thank you so much for joining us on the daily Zeit guys, where do the people find you, follow you, support you, read all that, just experience your genius.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Thank you for having me on. This is so much fun. You can find me on I'm primarily on Blue Sky these days. You can find me at Junelper dot Beer. So that's j u n l p e Er dot Beer and you can also find me on the Western Kabuki Podcast. We're basically just a podcast about what's going on online. We talk about politics, gaming, and like the gamer Gate world, so we cover like the politics around that. We talk about like crypto and tech type stuff, and we just have a few different series that we do. One of our fan favorites is the Worst Post Bracket that we do quarterly, So we're just kind of like a show about just whatever whatever we want. It's a comedy show, so you can find me there as well.
Speaker 1: Fantastic Fantastic. Now, is there a tweet or post some work of media, social or otherwise that you're enjoying.
Speaker 4: So that I'm enjoying, So I have this like sickness. It's it's like post their brain. So when I'm really enjoying something online, it's usually because I'm just astonished at how insane it is. So I this is RFK Junior, and like the whole Make America Healthy Again movement has become kind of a sideshow to all of the agonies going on in the world right now. But one of my favorite things to do right now is not just a single tweet is to go on the Steak and Shake Twitter page because they really sly embraced the the make America Healthy again, and they got beef pala instead of seed oils. So like that sphere is going crazy under Steak and Shake, and Steak and Shake is really leaning into it. They're like doing like the fascist aesthetic. They're posting all sorts of like Elon musk Tesla type stuff. So I have like a color of different tweets, it's mostly the replies that I'm interested in. I love like genres of tweets, and right now the genre of insane make America healthy again reply or to Steak and Shake. So this is just an example. So Steak and Shake says, as of April second, we will begin using one grade a Wisconsin butter to replace the current buttery blend which contains seed oils. This change will be made in all of our restaurants. And someone replies to that saying, boy, y'all keep this up, and I'm gonna eat nothing but steak and Shake. Please don't make a banana putting shake with real bananas. I'd get fat. And I just like there's just something about like these people that are like, oh, we need to make America healthy again, and how do we do that? Make everyone go eat fast food only all the time? Exactly, And they like genuinely believe this. They're true believers. And I'm just fascinated by these people. I am in love with these reply sections. If you are ever bored, go to the steak and shake reply sections. Any post, it doesn't even matter. It's just a bunch of people on that level just speaking truth to power. And God, I I've laughed so hard at some of these people.
Speaker 1: Wow, oh my god. Yeah, it's like it's so weird.
Speaker 3: It's like the replies because I remember looking when I saw that, like their their logos kind of took on a very Third Reich vibe, like very obviously.
Speaker 1: Too when you're like, yo, what are we doing steak shake? Like I mean, not, what are we doing? Like, oh I see you steak and shake? Yeah.
Speaker 3: But yeah, Like now I'm just looking at these replies, it's like they almost feel like they're bots. But they're also like your brain. People's brains are so cooked. They just sound like mindless automatons too, who are just what it is is critical? Yeah, Oh my.
Speaker 1: God, God. Anyway, thank you for that, June. I enjoy is mind drop. Yeah, I love that. I love that. Now let me see, Caitlin Dronte. What where do the people find you? Follow you, experience you here, you experience your genius, even engage with it if they would like to.
Speaker 2: Gosh, well, you can listen to the Bechtel Cast. I would absolutely love that. It's the podcast that I co host with Jamie Loftis, and we talk about movies through an intersectional feminist lens. And obviously we're going to cover what the fuck was it called? Primitive war?
Speaker 1: Oh? Primitive war? Yeah? God, you have to, yes, simply must.
Speaker 2: I am doing those shows that I mentioned at the top of the episode in State College, Pennsylvania and New York in mid April, so I would love for people to come out to those. You can find more information and tickets on my website at Caitlindurante dot com. Slash shows and uh yeah, I teach us screenwriting classes and stuff like that, so you can check out more information about that on my website as well. Follow me on Instagram and that's those are most of the things.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, And is there work of media, social or otherwise that you're enjoying.
Speaker 2: So I haven't seen this yet, but I'm encouraging people to watch it. I have a ticket to see it on this Sunday. But the film The Encampments, the documentary that is being released by Watermelon Pictures about the encampments, I think specifically at Columbia University, about the student protesters who you know, gathered and are protesting Israel's genocide against Palestine. And yeah, so I am encouraging people to go check out that documentary at screening in different cities right in the next few days. It seems like there's like a very limited release, but I'm hoping that the more people see it, the more what the wider release it will get. If you go to a Watermelon Pictures dot com, you can find information about screenings and where those are.
Speaker 1: And when that's crazy. I just I was walking and someone offered me free tickets to a documentary that Galga dot is premiering also in La called Nothing Here, which is pretty wild. It almost seems too real, doesn't it is that real? No? No, it just feels like the kind of thing that would happen. Uh. And it's so horrifying the fact that you tricked me, says a lot about society, and I'm not even Ai. I'm not even AI, folks. I'm doing this with my own fucked up smooth of brain over here. Okay, imagine what AI can do. I mean ship It's probably gonna ship out a whole documentary. Anyway.
Speaker 3: You can tweet. I like, so June now that you. I was looking to the Steaky Shake.
Speaker 1: Twitter and I found it. It's the best account on Twitter around. Some gold found some gold.
Speaker 3: So apparently the Steak and Shake was doing like a Tesla tallow twofer like they were. Yeah yeah, so what is that? Like if you own a Tesla you get a deal or something or they were selling stuff at Tesla dealerships.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like there was like some partnership with Tesla. Yeah, okay, So there's like a bunch of happy freaks holding fast food in front of cyber trucks in this photo. And there's this one is replies from at Tesla Lisa, but the s's are five said, I specifically drove my cyber truck forty minutes each way. Parenthetical, Well, the truck drove me and I just sat there today to visit your location in Englewood, Colorado. The food was excellent and the staff was very friendly. Thank you for supporting us. You gained a customer. Then underneath at Brandon Tsla tweeted when restaurant in La absolute madness.
Speaker 4: Seriously, I am not choking. I've spent like at least a couple of hours just going through all of those. There's some like absolute gems, Steak and Shake. They have the best Twitter right now, they've collected all the freaks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally my favorite. Another person, my favorite timeline, what shit y'all?
Speaker 3: Life is about to Life is about to come at some of us real fast.
Speaker 1: But credit to the people that have been bracing themselves for a moment. Anyway.
Speaker 3: You can find me at Miles of Gray pretty much everywhere they have at symbols. You can find us at Daily Zeitgeist pretty much everywhere they have at symbols.
Speaker 1: Except for Instagram, where we are at the Daily Zeitgeist. We also well, I mean, I could say we had a Facebook fan pase, but but we don't fucking use it. And I don't know why we used to say that so much. It came habitual.
Speaker 3: Okay, we've been doing this like seven years now, but You can go to the description of this episode right now in your podcast app, and then you can scroll around you look for the footnotes. Thank you, Caitlin, which is where we gonna where we link off to the articles we talked about other information that will help you know guide your understanding, maybe about Curtis Yarvin and the butterfly Revolution, and we also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy. I'm going to suggest today a track called Cocaine Turkey by the producer Milch I l H. It's from this album called Soul five Too, and it's kind of like low five tracks, but like mixed with like sort of like R and B eighties R and B samples. It To me, it feels less low fi and more like vapor wave. But if vapor wave was using mostly like R and B in like eighties or like soul, like just kind of that aesthetic rather than like the fully fully vapor wave type of vapor wave.
Speaker 1: But that's the energy is spooky, That's what I The good vapor wave makes you feel like I'm in a haunted mall. This cocaine, this track that we're going out is called Cocaine Turkey.
Speaker 2: Andation to cocaine Bear.
Speaker 1: I don't know, makes you think. I don't know, but we might have another movie. We might have to talk about cocaine turkey. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So are you on like the like dark wave, like dark scented type type.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is more like it's I mean, like they're sort of slowed down soul and R and B samples and like with like reverb and it's like definitely getting like compressed and crushed the other ways to make it give it a little more texture and grit to it. But all the tracks are like a minute and forty to like two and a half minutes.
Speaker 1: So that's what I'm saying. Check out the album Soul Fi too, and just.
Speaker 3: Let it play and I'm sure it'll do something to your brain in a good way, in a good one, in a good way.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: The Daily Shite Guys us a production by Heart Radio. So for more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit HEADI to Apple Podcast. Whenever you get the fucking podcast for free. That's gonna do it for us this fucking week.
Speaker 1: Go leave what a fucking week and we will be back Monday.
Speaker 3: But also check out this weekend, where you will hear the best of episode and you can hear me talk all kinds of wacky shit there with our.
Speaker 1: Favorite guests and guest hosts from this week, including this episode if you somehow just caught the tail end of it, because that's how you listen to podcasts, right all right, that's gonna do it for us. We'll see you later, Bye bye, see how The Daily Zeit Guys is executive produced by Catherine Law, co produced by Bee Wang, co produced by Victor Wright, Edited and engineered by Justin Connor, children of tr T Teeth