Speaker 1: So I would like to share something with our listeners, something that writer and Will were actually two of the first people I told the news too. I was recently diagnosed with DCIS, which stands for ductyl carcinoma in C two, which is a form of breast cancer. It is very, very very early. It's technically stage zero to be specific, just because I like too much information all the time. I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS with micro invasion, and I'm going to be fine. I'm having surgery to remove it. I'm going to be on some some follow up treatment. I've had to make a lot of decisions over the last couple of days. And the only reason I'm sharing it is because you know, if you've ever had those thoughts in your life where someone close to you is diagnosed with cancer, somewhere in your mind you think.
Speaker 2: What would I do if this were me? What would what would I do in this situation?
Speaker 1: And for some reason, I had always thought like I would suffer in silence. I would get the diagnosis, I would not tell anyone. I would tell only my small small group, and then I would just suck it up and and and then when I'm on the other side, of it. Then I would tell people, here, I've gone through this journey, and here's what I did. And I have as I've gotten older, I have really tried to learn from the mistakes, or from not even just the mistakes. I've tried to learn from the experiences of others, sure, because I don't think I did that enough when I was younger. And one of the women that I have learned from is Glennon Doyle, and she often talks about how a lot of people like to save sharing their experiences until they've come out on the other side of it, so that they're able to say, here's the pretty picture of it all, here's what I've.
Speaker 2: Learned, the end of the story, the end of the story.
Speaker 1: But the place you have the most to learn from is at the very beginning of a story, or in the very messy middle of a story.
Speaker 2: And my first.
Speaker 1: Instinct when I was diagnosed was to do that clam up thing, was to be like, Okay, I have to share this news with Jensen, of course, and then I wanted to share the news with my mom and my dad and my brother. And then outside of that, I was like, I'm going to just pick a few select friends and then what I realized say is the more people I talked to, the more people had their own experiences, either themselves being diagnosed with cancer or a family member who's been diagnosed with cancer, and the world of resources and experiences that can be shared by sharing it and things that can be learned. The only reason I caught this cancer when it is still stage zero is because the day I got my text message that my yearly mammogram had come up, I made the appointment. And the fact that I am good about going to my doctor's appointments, when truthfully it would be so much easier with as busy as I am, with the fifty jobs I have and the two kids and a husband and a house, it would be so easy to say I don't have time for that. I went to my mammogram last year. I was fine last year. I don't need to go again this year. It's gonna be fine. I was fine last year.
Speaker 2: And I didn't.
Speaker 1: Instead, I was like, yeah, it's time, got to make that appointment. And they found it so so so early that I'm going to be fine. And so I want to share this because I hope that it will encourage anyone to get in there if it's time for your appointment, if you've never had an appointment before, get in there. If you have to find out that you have cancer, find out when it's at stage zero, if possible. And so you know, I have some big decisions ahead of me about what I want to do for treatment. I don't have all the answers yet. I still have doctors, I need to meet with, oncologists, radiation specialists, hormone therapists, all kinds of stuff that I have still in front of me to decide. But I did want to let our dear listeners know because it may You know, I'm We're going to try to have it not affect things as far as our scheduling goes. I'm going to try to make it for every episode, but you know, there are a possibility we may have to put some things on hold depending on what treatments I go through. And I did just want everyone to know, I you know, I'm this is not going to be one of those times where my sweet Sleep of Death jokes are gonna come to buy.
Speaker 2: Me in the ass.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be fine, But I did want you all to know, and well.
Speaker 3: We love you, and you know that we got you. So whatever, whatever you need, we're here. And if you need to miss some or we need to postpone stuff, it's the last thing that.
Speaker 4: You need to worry about.
Speaker 5: It's mind boggling right like right now, no joke. My wife and I know four people, four friends that are dealing with breast cancer specific Yeah, it's it's just it's the age, it's the time we live in. I don't know, but yeah, definitely, it's good to be more.
Speaker 3: Prolific, it seems everywhere and for men to you know, prostate exams and colon oscar I mean, these are the things that are super important, so don't put them off. And we're so glad you didn't because you are into fine and part of the day. You might have some sucky days coming up, but.
Speaker 4: We're here for you.
Speaker 2: So whatever, I know, I know you are.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, and uh yeah, we love you, so, thank you for being here for this episode of Podmeets World.
Speaker 2: I'm Daniel Fit, I'm Rader Strong, and I'm Wilfridel.
Speaker 1: Throughout the history of Boy Meets World, we had a wide array of very talented guest stars, all just beginning their journey in Hollywood. Sometimes they'd hang around for a bit, like Adam Scott or Ethan Souplee, while other times they'd just swing by, like Carrie Russell or that dolphin Disney World. It's hard not to notice that when you take a look at the alumni from our show, many of the names would go on to become our listeners and our favorite actors. And this week we're excited to talk to one of the talented thesbians always featured in those clickbait articles with the headline twenty people you won't believe appeared on Boy Meets World. She's best known as Detective Juliet Jules O'Hara on the cult TV show Psych that ran for eight seasons and three movies, with three more in development. She'd also appear on Two and a half Men, Home Improvement, Santa Clarita, Diet, Lethal Weapon, and Sorry Will four Hallmark movies. We will also talk to her about the two thousand Disney movies. She starred in Model Behavior, where she played two different characters alongside Kathy Lee Gifford and Justin Timberlake. But mostly we'll be talking to her about that one episode of Boy Meets World. I Love You, Donna Karen, where she played a fitness obsessed love interest to Sean while he also searched to find the owner of a lost purse. We are thrilled to welcome Maggie Lawson. Hi h hi, oh my goshall, thank you so much for being here with us.
Speaker 6: Thank you so much for asking me to do this. How fun? This is fun. I totally rewatched the episode.
Speaker 2: Did you okay? Great?
Speaker 1: Well, we are just so honored that you were willing to come on and talk about this little blip on your very impressive resume.
Speaker 6: A yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So we figured we would start with a little origin story.
Speaker 2: You were born in Louisville, Kentucky, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, okay, How did you ever find yourself taking the big trip to be a child actor in Los Angeles?
Speaker 6: It was so it's such a wild story, and it's long, so I'm gonna i'll make it really short. But my sophomore year of high school, I uh, I came out on like spring break and I got I got really lucky. I met this casting director who then put me in touch with my an agent, who basically was my agent for like ten years. I got so I don't I mean, you guys probably remember this, But like there were like they would hand out holding deals sometimes, you know, yeah, and they'd give you a little bit of money and say like we're gonna put you in something or whatever. And I have no idea why. I read for one show called Unhappily Ever after Yes, Nick Cox, NICKI Cox, Yeah, sure, And I didn't get I had never done anything ever. It was the first thing my agent sent me on and they wanted to like test me for something. I didn't know what any of this was. And I realized I was like the option person, you know, testing like they bring their favorites and then they bring the options. I was like the option person.
Speaker 4: But it went well.
Speaker 6: I didn't get it. I went it went pretty well. And because of that, they like offered me this like little holding deal and said but at the time, you know, this of my family from Kentucky like whatever. We were like, what like it was? It was, you know, it wasn't a lot, but it was definitely more than we had ever had. So we were like, Okay, maybe this should be a move that we make. And then within a year of me going back and forth between Louisville and la they put me in a pilot like a Miller boy at pilot. That was so like on the air, sold on the air. Whatever, moved the family. It was very exciting. Got here and they said they changed their mind. Oh not thinking of that. Yeah, but my brother and I and my mom at that point were already here. My brother was like looking like we were looking at high schools and things. So we just stayed. And I think this was my third job. Maybe I think ever or fourth. I'm not gonna write N ninety seven. Yeah, so anyway, that is like the very very short version of just a wild, really wild story. But so that's how I got here.
Speaker 1: So you moved to LA from Louisville. Who is your who becomes your LA crew? And did you guys go to ed Debvick's.
Speaker 4: Nice that's a yes, that's a yes.
Speaker 2: Laugh right there.
Speaker 6: I went to Edbevics like once, Okay, I didn't have a crew. I was really awkward. I was very like home bit like I was like I work and I go home and that is what I do, and I was not like I didn't really have a crew for a long time until I was in my twenties. Yeah, so I heard about Edubevics and I knew all the cool kids went to Eduebevics, but I think maybe I only went once and I was with my family and it wasn't the best. But I it's just funny you say that, because I remember being like everyone talks about as.
Speaker 2: I wish I had friends to go to ed Debvick's with.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you were fifteen then when you moved.
Speaker 6: Well, no, I was actually seventeen. I was fifteen when I started coming out here, and I got really lucky. On one of the trips, I ended up like when I would go back and forth, my agent will let me stay with her. She'd like, we'll line up some auditions while you come out. And I ended up getting a movie called Pleasantville, and I had this very small part in it. But it kept me here for like three or four months because they ended up like this group of kids, you know, in the background sometimes and like we were just always around in the town of Pleasantville. So it bought me this time to be here. And then it was during that that, like I would I would maybe audition and get other things, and so eventually, but the summer that we my family came out, that was the summer of the pilot, so that would have that was ninety seven, but I started going back and forth like fifteen sixteen. Yeah, yeah, and so so just like a few years ago, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: That's what I sell everybody to.
Speaker 4: But we should say you you are another one.
Speaker 3: We've had a string of guests come on the show who haven't aged like at all.
Speaker 4: So it's true.
Speaker 5: It's true.
Speaker 6: You look the same.
Speaker 4: Thank you exactly the same. It's so rude.
Speaker 6: We look exactly the same, all of you. We look good.
Speaker 4: This crew there was this is your crew.
Speaker 6: Now can we go to antics?
Speaker 1: Absolutely so from our shared time as kid actors in the nineties, do you remember anyone who was always at like every audition you had. Who were the people you were constantly up against?
Speaker 6: Carrie Russell? Yeah, I saw Carry Russell a lot for a little while, like Rachel McAdams. Yeah, but like not you know, do you know Brie Blair? Do you know? Yes, it was like brid I always saw each other. We're still friends. Those were probably my free that I feel like I saw a lot. Marisa Coughlin, I saw a lot, Uh, Katie Holmes, I would see I mean the Dawson's Creek that Michelle William like that like that crew a little bit. Yeah, that's nothing. Yeah, it's so funny to talk about now.
Speaker 2: I know, thinking about it, it's a whole other life.
Speaker 6: It's a whole other and it isn't it isn't like it's so weird. Yeah, and here we are literally, yeah.
Speaker 2: Here we are.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So what did your family back in Kentucky think when you move here and you kind of have success right away? Were they surprised or did? Were they like we always knew she was destined for big things.
Speaker 6: Oh that's very sweet. I don't. I think they were both I think supportive, and then I also think there was a little bit of like you're you all are out of your mind, like this is this is insane and yet you know, I mean, we didn't even like to give you a little like background in Kentucky, we didn't even own a car, like that's where we were, Like my grandparents had to give us a car to like drive to Los Angeles. So it was a whole I'm actually glad now that I look back on it, that we we didn't know we were so ignorant. It was just, you know, so we hadn't and I think about my mom now, who's like my age now, but like with three kids and a teenager being like, I'm gonna go to LA and like, it's just so wild to me when I think about those moments and how we just we just did it. I don't know, we just did it. But but I don't think we thought. We didn't even have you know, you don't. We didn't have the information to even think that far. So it was more just like, I don't know, let's give it a shot, and then you know, we stayed. My mom actually has since me back to Kentucky, but my brothers and I are we're all we're all here still, wow, greatly rightly, I mean, I want to hear like, I'm sure we all have those versions, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was yeah, oh yeah, my mom says to this day, my mom says, if I knew now what I knew what I know, I would never let you get into it. And she's like, and I guess, looking back, I'm happy I didn't because it all worked out and you're fine, and like I didn't have anything to worry about. She's like, but had I known what we were up against and what it was going to be like I would have been like, oh no, I'm too afraid for all of.
Speaker 6: That, can you imagine? I do think.
Speaker 5: I think part of what we compare it to now though, is like what it's like to be an adult actor, which is like very different when you're that age, especially back then, if you were getting parts and getting feed like positive feedback, it would keep happening, do you know what I mean? Or maybe don't, like it's I guess the pool was just so much smaller. There was so much less competition that if you worked and if you were responsible and mature, like you would keep working. And I think that there was like a it was just a snowball effect, you know. And I think that if like obviously you were getting everything, like things were coming your way. What's crazy to me is that like when that when you got the show and there and then they didn't you know, you move, made the move and they yanked it from under you, Like that would have been the do or die moment for me, like as a parent, like do I keep putting my kid through this kind of like yeah, I would be most worried about like just your fragile you know, But I mean maybe or not, maybe she looked at you and you were like, I got this. I'm okay, I'm rolling into the next job.
Speaker 1: And she was like, I.
Speaker 4: Could see that.
Speaker 5: That's that's the tough skin thing that you do need from this industry, and maybe you developed it because of that experience.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but telling the stories about how a lot of us got here, I mean when I say these stories out loud, my parents are like.
Speaker 4: I can't believe we let you do some of the Yeah, we let you do. I can't believe we didn't.
Speaker 6: And not to sound like that, but it really was a different time. Yes, yes, I know everything was different.
Speaker 4: Then, yep.
Speaker 6: I mean we barely had what email. I mean, we were gonna writ tagers and texts to like go to auditions, and I think, like even that the excess, Like I just think if I'm with you, well, and my mom says the same thing, like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, before we get into your appearance on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 2: Can we talk model behavior?
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is a Disney movie you book in two thousand and you play two girls, a model and a nerd, of course, and your love interest is Justin Timberlake and also Kathy Lee Gifford and her son Cody are in it too. Was this movie as insane as it sounds? Yes, tell me more, tell me everything.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you everything. It was so it was my first like lead thing where like, oh my god, how did I I am that? But I was so excited. I was like, yeah, they get to play two characters, and I'm you don't really stink into this, and oh my god. I was so excited. And and at the time they were like, we're going to try to you know, stunt casts or get you know, somebody for your mom and somebody for the eleven Trists, and they were saying all of this, and then I heard rumors of, uh, this this justin Timberlake person.
Speaker 2: But you didn't know who he was in the year two thousand. No, I was not like ever where were you? This was? This was this was peak boy band mania.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 6: And it wasn't like, yes, I saw TRL but like boy bands. I was like listening to like Radiohead and like.
Speaker 2: You were cool. I get it. I god, very clear, very clear.
Speaker 6: I wasn't cool. I wasn't. I was like, I just wasn't. It wasn't really so I wasn't following it. I knew the Backstreet Boys were huge, but I was like, who is in Sync? I don't know who?
Speaker 5: I'm with you, No, it's pop culture. If you're not into like pop culture, even while you're making pop culture, you cannot be into it. You could just be put on the blinders like I did. I would never have known who n Sync was if we hadn't met them Danielle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if Danielle wasn't dating and they were hanging.
Speaker 6: Danielle, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I mean, listen, I'm trying to not be offended now, but like hearing you say I knew who the Backstreet Boys were, but I'm not aware of in Sync.
Speaker 2: It just brings me back to nineteen ninety eight, nineteen ninety nine and having to be like.
Speaker 4: The backs are good, They're justice good.
Speaker 2: Honestly, they are better, They're better better. Look, that's just me. What did I say?
Speaker 6: Like I was kind of a socially, I just was removed a little bit from and so I was like, oh, everyone was like, oh my god, Justin really is going to play the Elevenders side I look him up. I was like, I don't know who he is, and I was and everyone was like, this is a really big deal. So I got very excited. And Kathy Wee Gifford at the time as well. I was like, oh, this is the best you know, she was on I don't know, the Today Show or whatever and regis yes, So I I that was that seemed like I was like, this is I got very intimidated very quickly, and yet I didn't really even know who it was. But I will tell you it was his first acting job. He was so kind. His mom was on set with him the whole time. My mom was on set with me the whole time. They hung out like we had and to this day when I see Justin it's like this it was such a time for both of us. It was like my first big role, like lead in something, and it was a Disney Sunday Night movie, which at the time, you know, those were kind of like a big deal to get or whatever.
Speaker 4: And the Wonderful World Disney. It was great.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I was like, and especially I had done so little at that point that it was like I just it felt so that was really magical. And for him, it was like in Sync was just about to take off, and he was about to take off, and like that was all like kind of bubbling, and then it was his first acting job and so we had this like just very sweet, fun experience. It was his first time screen kiss and Gifford was wonderful. In fact, she was so she was so kind. And my brother, I remember at the time, was trying to get into USC and like she was, and there was like we were trying to get financial aid for him and all kinds. There were just a lot of things that we didn't know if it was actually going to happen. And Kathy had Frank call USC to just give like a vote of Frank Giffert, Sorry I should say Frank Giffort, her husband, who was a major, like the biggest Like when I think of these things people did, I think, now you know, we're even it's just wild.
Speaker 4: How many did it work? Did he get it? Did he get in?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I don't know if it was from the Frank College just whatever, but it's.
Speaker 4: Sure it helped.
Speaker 2: That's great. Helped.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's so nice.
Speaker 6: And anyway, so justin it was one of the greatest experiences ever. Like I I hold that it is so sweet and it like anytime anybody brings it up, it's such a fun movie that I know was like because it was his first thing. Although I I I kind of talked him into letting him grow his hair out. I know you.
Speaker 2: Are you responsible for the long Top promm?
Speaker 4: You did it? Long Top?
Speaker 6: I was like, He's like, did you say long Top problem?
Speaker 2: Long Top promen?
Speaker 6: I love you, You're the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it looks good, but it's a ton of sodium for the record.
Speaker 6: And with too much.
Speaker 4: Okay he was.
Speaker 6: It was very funny. I remember having a whole conversation about it. I'm not saying I'm responsible for it, but I will definitely take credit grow growing the hair out. And then I felt really bad because I felt like you got a lot and I felt like it was my fault. It was my fault that Justin grew his hair out and got all the leg And I'll.
Speaker 2: Be honest, I was a fan of it too. I was a fan of it. I liked it when it had grown out. I did. I liked it.
Speaker 3: But I know a fan and I know we were just talking about this briefly, but oh my god, how good was Radio had been in the late nineties For the record that I know they were. The first album was Creep their first album, because it was just it was so good.
Speaker 6: I would put like at night, I would just leave well the Bens. Yeah, yeah, that was that ended up becoming my favorite.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was talking Mario, this is fun, but I Radiohead podcast Welcome to Creep.
Speaker 6: We'd like to yes, yeah, but I I was I would just put it on, repeating I would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a great album.
Speaker 6: I was so good anyway. So yeah, it's fun to talk about Radiohead too.
Speaker 3: It's kind of the Weezer Weezer Radiohead, that whole kind of thing. That's when the Blue album came out. There's a whole bunch of different stuff.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, let's go from podcast Head back to pod meets World.
Speaker 4: Fine.
Speaker 2: Do you remember auditioning for your part on Boy Meets World.
Speaker 6: I don't. I don't I.
Speaker 4: Remember being on Boy.
Speaker 6: I mean they know it's my IMDb. I remember. I do remember one thing. I remember being like, oh, it was kind of fun to play a jerk. Oh yeah, I felt like I was always like the sweet. Yeah. So I don't know if I remember that from the actual episode or from auditioning.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 6: I do remember getting I remember my trailer. I remember because I had a little Uh, I think I had a trailer outside the stage.
Speaker 2: Because we were at CBS at this point.
Speaker 6: CBS Radford, right, yeah, yeah, And so I do remember that because I was like, it was I think the first time I had been in like a an actual trailer. I'd been in like little dressing rooms and things. So I mean that's my my, my, my memory, and I remember it being really hot in there, oh, in my trailer.
Speaker 2: But I'm glad to know we treated our guest stars.
Speaker 6: It was good. It was good. But you know, it's weird these things that like stay with you, Like I kind of remember the smell of the trail. Okay, we don't have to get into all of that, but don't.
Speaker 4: We trailers on on rat he's.
Speaker 6: Like little Yeah, there were.
Speaker 2: It was really little honeywagons.
Speaker 6: It was also really nice, not for us.
Speaker 2: No, we had the rooms in the little.
Speaker 3: Rooms like the stairs, but they're okay, So where were the where were the trailers?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 4: In relation to our stage.
Speaker 6: It was like right outside the stage, right, wasn't it like right?
Speaker 2: It okay, No, you're right, we know, you're sure, you're right.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you're right. I'm trying to remember where they were in relationships. We just will it was where guest casts stayed, so we never went there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: It was like a whole other section that wasn't really where we were.
Speaker 4: So yeah, god, it.
Speaker 6: Was fun though. I do remember. I remember, I remember shooting that. I do remember the scene. I remember you doing this. Yeah, yeah, it was so good. Rewatching the episode, God, the show was so good.
Speaker 1: Well, you watched you got to watch the best episode you were in, the best episode of season five, hands down, it was.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 1: If you were like, let's do a sampling and you picked one episode from season five and it's the one you're in from from beginning to end, you'd be like, oh man, I'm going to go back and watch all these episodes and then it's really it's really good and you really added to it. Honestly, You're We talked about what a kind of difficult role that was to end. You were so good and you were so funny in it. Did you before it? So you don't really remember the audition? Were you familiar with the show at all before you came on? Did you know who any of us were?
Speaker 6: I mean I knew the show, yes, Okay, yeah, I knew it well enough. Absolutely, of course it was massive. I was so excited. I was so excited. I mean, that's a good call. World was like, I'm sorry, boy, meet It's world was uh is was uh So there was like such an emotional parts. I laughed out loud like multiple times watching the episode, and I was also like, this is really emotional. I know I have friends now whose kids are going back and watching. Oh yeah, the og like watching just because it's it's a really good show. It's a really really good show. So I put it like a level up of like not knowing who and sync is because I feel like this was really special and everyone everyone knew it, and that's how people talked about it even at the time, like this is like an this is not just like a comedy, you know, like a before I mentioned like another show, I want to Yeah, this was this was special. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Were you by any chance obsessed with fitness in real life?
Speaker 6: Not really, But I was really like honored that someone's you know, that feeling of.
Speaker 2: Like wow, you they see something in me.
Speaker 6: As a as a workout like a crazy workout person. Like I remember I did not see myself that way at all or I remember being like, well this, this is kind of cool. I'm gonna run this maybe for a little bit. But no, I I had never I had never seen myself that way and also like this idea I think at this time. I do remember, though, like being aware of like personal training and in a way that like I feel like I hadn't before because there was like a time there, I feel like in the early two thousands where there were all this stuff that was like oh yeah, diets and workouts and like there was and maybe that's just what I became aware of and it's all been like that. But I was like, I remember being like, oh, this episode makes sense, yes now.
Speaker 1: So you you and Writer had your big scene together, and and Ben and I were obviously there as well. What do you remember, if anything about young Writer or or any of any of us that week.
Speaker 6: I remember you were so you were so nice that you were like, uh, you were so warm and so welcoming. I did not think I was very good, like so I was like very like. I was like, oh, I'm not I'm like not hitting this. I remember I think getting a note about making a face, which I actually saw when I rewatched it. I was like, oh my god. I remember getting this note about like like you say something about meat and I'm like eat fat to burn fat, or I make some jokes like this. Yeah, and I was supposed to give like I don't really know if I agree with that, but I'm saying it to like make him feel better. Look, and I just felt like I couldn't nail it. So I you know, I felt like a little I had so much fun doing it, but I was also I was so new. So Danielle, I remember you being so nice writer. We like talked about the scene.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember you.
Speaker 6: You were like we like sat and like had a conversation about like what was going on in the scene. And I love that. I felt like I was like I hadn't had a lot of that kind of like prep and thought like going into scenes like it. So as we were like doing it over the course of the week, I remember it being like like we had conversations about like the characters. I felt like I was on one of the most profession sets I had definitely at that point I ever been on. Uh, you all were like so so so wonderful. It was so much fun. Michael, Yes, we met, I didn't know.
Speaker 2: We're sure you met at a run.
Speaker 6: Also, just like like the nicest, warmest group of people. I loved it, and it's Mike Michael, the Michael. Yeah. It was also just every everybody was wonderful. It was wonderful. It's a very like fun experience and like a memory other than I having, Like, am I am I getting this? Is this funny? Am I being funny? Am I too? Me?
Speaker 1: Every everyone who ever? I mean including us. I was gonna say every guest star, but it wasn't just the guest stars. It was always us. There were the note sessions after the run throughs. No matter how confident you went into them, you always left feeling like, well, I didn't nail it.
Speaker 2: I suck, I am not good.
Speaker 1: Everyone else I feel like is good and it's me that didn't nail it, and tomorrow will be better if I am better. And then you would find out the next day whether or not you had made it better or not.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, I forgot about note dicussions.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 6: I don't think they do those anymore?
Speaker 1: Right, No, not with the whole cast didn't.
Speaker 7: Then to that degree, like that was were they were, they were, they were involved, we talk about this a lot on the on the podcast because.
Speaker 1: There were a lot of on screen kisses going on back there. I feel like there are significantly less on screen kisses on TV today than there used to be because you go in for the.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 6: Every thing I did then was just somebody. Yeah, you had to make it out. It was like a thing that.
Speaker 2: Was like, all right, well, who am I making out with this week? Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's so true. Though there was I know lot of that. There was a lot of kissing. I know now that I'm thinking about it, I'm like, I don't know that I see that as much anymore.
Speaker 2: I really don't see teenagers kissing that offense.
Speaker 3: They don't have it nearly as much as they did. But so wait, so you were justin Timberlake's first on screen kiss.
Speaker 4: Who was your first on screen kiss?
Speaker 6: My first? Oh my god?
Speaker 2: Oh you all?
Speaker 1: I want to know the I want to know every I already know. I want to know every detail of this story.
Speaker 6: This is crazy. I was a pleasant phil Okay, So I read for the Marley Shelton role in that, which is Toby McGuire's love interest, and the director Gary Ross was like at my audition, he said, you know, you're too green. You haven't done anything, but like, I want to see you do something in this I just can't. It can't be this. So I'm gonna put you in the town. And I played this character named Lisa Anne. There were three like girls like we were a little click and pleasant fille. And on the very first day he came up to me, this is a horrible story. I'm gonna tell it. He came up to me and he said, we've decided it's a great story, but we've decided to you know, there's one character that it comes to color before all of the others, and it's because she discovers sexual feelings. And I'm sixteen, and he says, you know, I think we're gonna make that your character because and I saw it in the script that Lisa Anne, my character has this moment where she's making out with somebody. And I remember in the script it said all tongues and hands that was description of it you and I was like, oh okay. And i'd heard about stage kisses at that time or you know screenca I was like, can't be that bad. And dad, you know, and so Gary's like, are you comfortable with that, and I was like, can I just ask a question, what does it mean when it says like all tongues and hands? He said, it means exactly what it says in the script, and are you okay? Like he was really kind about it, like I just want to make sure you're comfortable about it. If not, well, and of course me, I was like, I I.
Speaker 2: Uh, okay, I want this job.
Speaker 5: I want to go and I really if you're not, we'll replace you with somebody else. You will always find another sixteen year old who will do this.
Speaker 6: So we we on the very first day that these scenes are are maybe going to happen. He he says, we're have you have you met the person you're going to be uh making out with? Because and hands with bugles and hands and he he said, because he doesn't. He didn't have at the time any lines. So he said, we we picked somebody that we sort of felt, you know, you all this is horrible. I sound horrible. So he's like, he's like, let's let's I'm going to bring you a picture of him, and you tell me, and I'm going to also bring you some of the other people that we were considering.
Speaker 5: The lineup.
Speaker 4: You were casting. You got to cast your own.
Speaker 2: Let talk, let talk.
Speaker 4: Let her talk.
Speaker 6: So my my again, like my sixteen year old self, Maggie now would be like overthinking this, like don't say anything like everything's okay, yes, yes, sure like whatever. At the time, I was so I didn't know, So I was just like, yeah, no, like I I can, I can I look at the.
Speaker 2: Next Yeah, I love you, Marie?
Speaker 6: Is me in my mind? You all it feels like the sad Is this all? Like from the memory of it, I'm sure it was like don photos. So I go with them going through the photos and I'm like, who's this? And he said, oh, you know, this is so and so he's you know, he was like a basketball player from Wake Forest and he just came down whatever.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 6: I just slid the picture and I thought I was like, this guy's attractive and I okay, And so he said it's great, Well, we'll go ask him if he's okay with this. So he goes and he finds them, we meet and he's like, are you too okay with this? I got to say for you know, like the care that I feel like he took around this like.
Speaker 1: The progressive exactly pretty progressive for the time.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I'm so so grateful for it. I meet this person, he's so sweet, and we were both like we've he's obviously. He was like, I'm just here making extra money. Is like a background performer. Uh, really, I'm not a master, and like now I'm now I'm going to be making out with you on the scene. I was like, well, I've never made out with anybody in the scene, and he was like, are we supposed to practice? And I was like, I don't know, I don't. I don't know that it's like that, but but we can definitely talk about what we're both comfortable with. And I don't know if you know this person, but you probably do. Do you know Mark Lucas? Do you know he was not fuff? He's in like a bunch of Christmas movie like whatever. It was Mark Lucas.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 6: When I see him, I'm like, it's the funniest story that.
Speaker 2: You gaate story. I'm sorry, no, it's great.
Speaker 6: It's just so silly.
Speaker 4: He owes you his career.
Speaker 6: But it's more it's just I think back of like these crazy stories now and like like he brought me my So that was my first on screen kiss and it was all It really was all tongues and hands and it was not like, you know, we're we're going to talk about how we're stage kissing here. So Mark, you know, thank you for being a wonderful partner. But then I had to like pull myself back going forward because I was like, well, that's not how it is, right, Yeah, So yeah, it was very different. But I got to bring a lot of experience to justin Timberlake, so I felt like I could speak to it in a very it's awful you all, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: I already told the story on here how unbelievably thrilled I was. There's an episode we have coming up where I get to, uh, I make out with somebody. And you know, at this point, I had been kissing Ben week after week, and that at this point was like second nature. We had been doing that a lot, so anytime one of us got to kiss somebody new, it was very much like.
Speaker 2: Who are they gonna cast? Who's who's it gonna be? Who's think?
Speaker 6: I know, like even now, I feel like if I'm reading for something, you have a chemistry reader, you have like you know, it's a weird thing. That we do and like, so it's still to I still I almost feel the exact same way I did then about it. Now there's still like this I don't know, curiosity and then also like it's it's it's a weird, weird thing that we do and it's also fun. Yeah, very yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway do people Do people ever recognize you from Boy Meets Work?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, that's not the one they go to.
Speaker 6: I get a lot of like, uh, are you Alicia Silverstone. That's actually I get the most. But I do get get a lot of like messages or dms of oh my god, I forgot you did an episode of this. I was watching it the other day or my right, I was watching it whatever. So yes, I it's still it plays a lot. I feel like it's oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's still.
Speaker 2: It's still always on.
Speaker 6: How specially you all? You all look great. This is like, what a cool thing after thirty something years that you're like, we get to talk about these these times.
Speaker 1: You know, we we really are I would I would downplay it, but we really are very proud of the podcast, Like we really are very proud of what we've what we've done, our friendship, our relationship, are like, we're just we're proud, and we we love it and we don't take it lightly, and we we recognize what an immense honor and privilege it is to still be cared about in any capacity and to have been a part of something that has less left and impact.
Speaker 2: Act on people.
Speaker 1: So we I'm not going to let that go without telling you that it really does mean something to us.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 6: It's beautiful. I mean, it's really really really special. I'm really happy for you all. Yeah. On the podcast, you know, it's also very successful and it really lived. This show really lives, like it's rare to say that about a show.
Speaker 1: Well, the year after you were with us on on Boy Meets World, you went on and did Home Improvement, which set was more fun.
Speaker 6: Oh definitely Boy Meets World.
Speaker 4: Okay, yes, yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I was the I was the older woman. I was in college, and I was as Zachary Taye, Brian's old love interest. So much kissing.
Speaker 2: God, you're right, I know.
Speaker 1: It was so much kissing as so.
Speaker 2: So much kissing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was every week for a while. It was every week, especially Rider.
Speaker 3: And I was just what it just this week, this week, this week, Okay, here we go, and if you.
Speaker 6: Were right, you guys were the single, you know, the yeah wow and you're both You're so good too. Everyone's so good on the show, like really talented people. You all are.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: We like to think that we have a cult audience.
Speaker 1: But you would go on to play Detective Juliette O'Hara on Psych and all of its resulting films, and this has become a show with an elite group of diehard fans. Could you have ever predicted what that show would become?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, we didn't know anyone. I mean USA when when we did that, see, I mean they had Monk at that point, but like it was even I remember reading. I was like USA is doing a series and what is true? It was so it wasn't even on the map really right other than Monk. So not only did I not have I could never have predicted or seen this kind of uh, you know life for the show. It was more like, uh, we didn't know anybody was watched. We didn't know any We were in such a bubble in Vancouver when we were doing it as well, Like it was it was really a shock to us. It was really social media, which at the time when like Twitter was sort of starting, I think there was MySpace and that's where we saw. We were like, oh, people talk about the show and these on social media. We started to see that a little bit, and then I think like season three we went to a comic con and that's when we were like, oh, there's there's this is this is a thing. But no, my god, no, I I I'm so grateful for it. And and but could never have I mean, you know, oh, no, this is a fun, silly, nerdy little show. And then it was now, it's now, it's again, it still lives. It's great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because it's still fun film.
Speaker 1: When you guys do the movies, would you keep making psych films forever?
Speaker 2: If you could forever?
Speaker 6: Oh we have we have so much fun. We are just as close off screen as we are on Still. I mean, they're my family. I truly like we have a psych or our family, a psych family text thread that we are every somebody's on every day like we we are in constant it's it's I'm blown away, but yeah, it's it's a it's a real true I know everyone says that like we were a family, but we we really are after all this time and everything we've been through too, I think, yeah, we we got we just we hit the we hit the jackpot. It's just like you all, you know, it's like so rare for these things to happen, uh like this, and we're so lucky when they do.
Speaker 5: I remember I was hanging out with you right right before you got went to Vancouver and you got psych and you had been doing like series after series, and I remember that It's so funny because I was trying to think, like what was like because you were kind of like, I don't know about the show. I don't know anything. You know, you liked the script, but I but it was also that it was single camera and you had been doing so much multi camera and you would like just just miss some big multi camera show or something. And then you were I remember you just we were at the we went to the movies, like I forget what we were going to see, and you were like, I'm just gonna do it. I'm going to go, you know, and like the town knows, like because somebody said to you, like we know you can do multi camera. There's there'll be other shows if this one doesn't. Mark story Writer because I remember you were like because you were leaving, you were like going to Vancouver and it was like a big move and you.
Speaker 2: Were like banging out.
Speaker 5: Well, so I came and I guest starred on Crumbs and that's how we reconnected. And then we had the same manager, right with Ellen, and then you were dating yeah and so and Brooke and so like we became couple friends in two thousand and four ish or whatever, right when I moved back to LA two thousand and five, so that's right. And then I remember you like left to do psych and and then I never saw you again. She got you, but I just remember the conversation, and now I'm remembering that. I I know what the conflict was. It was that it wasn't a major network that it was USA. Was was was the risk that you were taking, and you were like, is anybody going to watch this? Is this going to be a thing? And you were like, but you were excited to do single camera because you had done so much multi camera and it was like, obviously that that single camera is going to become more of the thing, and you were like, I'm gonna go do this show. It's a detective thing.
Speaker 6: I don't know, I'm a little blown away by I like, I.
Speaker 5: Just wish I could remember what movie we went to see, because I.
Speaker 4: Like, okay, so.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and four, we're going to see probably Knows.
Speaker 4: And then you know, like that kind of thing.
Speaker 6: It's going to help screening of mohave. Did you know we all sit at a table after we went to the it was at the Grove, remember, and we went to like oo's yeah, so Eric right, and a woman like an executive I was at a party and some like executive from Fox who I had known, like since I had moved to LA. She was like just somebody I'd check in with. And I saw her and she was like, stop stop with the multi camp, Like we know you can do it.
Speaker 5: How do you remember because you remember it because we were It was like a big moment and you were like, I'm gonna have to do I need to like expand my repertoire and I'm going to do this single camera show, even though it's USA and even though maybe nobody will see it and I have to move all the way to Vancouver, I'm going to do it.
Speaker 3: And that's the chances, the chances of not only getting on a show, that's going to be successful, but a show that's then literally going to help put the.
Speaker 4: Entire network on the map.
Speaker 3: As I mean, you are the chances of that are so slim that it is a risk because you're like, well, I mean, what are the but it did, it turned around the entire network.
Speaker 5: As an actor, you just always want to go with something that's already established, it's already successful, and you know, at that time, everybody was hoping to get friends. Everybody is hoping to get like the huge multi camera in town job that was going to be a hit and then open up all these other doors. So doing something like on a cable network or out of town or single camp, you know, it was all risk. But yeah, it's interesting. Yeah, that's the screening of Mohavey. That's so which we ended up being called Death Valley, right, okay, oh right, o, god right, I hadn't heard the name we shot it, but yeah.
Speaker 6: Writer and Eric were in a movie together. So Eric was my boyfriend at the time, and.
Speaker 2: It was Eric Eric who Christian Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was different than Hans Christian Anderson. I found out different person.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, thank you for the clarity.
Speaker 4: Game problem just to throw that out there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's so wild. God, we're going out quite a bit.
Speaker 5: I feel like, well you can't because Eric and I were making the movie and you came out for a little bit with your you guys had a dog.
Speaker 6: And Tristan Tristan the Bulldog.
Speaker 2: Trist In the Bulldog later remembers so much about your life.
Speaker 5: Are you remember about you remember my audition for Boy Meets World? No, I didn't remember you being on Boy Meets World at all. Like I remember showing up on crumbs and being like, because Boy Meets World is like I was so checked out by this season, like I didn't you know, Like but but you know, I remember things in my personal life like are you know friends and stuff? I remember details.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it was it was we all. It was a time. It was a time.
Speaker 2: It was a time. We can all agree on that a time.
Speaker 1: So looking back at Boy Meets World and this episode, seeing seventeen year old Maggie on screen, what would you like to say to her?
Speaker 6: Now? Oh my god, oh god, I would like to say to her? Uh wait, is this like a serious question, just like an acting question.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a however you want to take it however you want it to be, if, if if.
Speaker 6: There was something. And my heart breaks this a little bit because I like, I look and I think, like, oh man, like I want to like say, like just enjoy all of this, like the because I remember I really would be in my head a lot, and as you were just mentioning, like you get the note, you get the thing, and I remember like the worry and the and the like I was. I really was like socially awkward at the time. So I think what I would say is like, uh, let go and enjoy this, and uh, because everything's gonna everything's gonna be okay, everything's gonna everything's gonna work out. It's all gonna be okay. But I didn't know that at the time, so I don't know. That's probably more serious and heavy answer. But as I was watching it, all the memories even of that time in my life just came back, and I was like, oh man.
Speaker 1: You may not be surprised to know the majority of people I asked that question to say the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: Everybody says, the exact everybody said. Anybody's like, just enjoy it, just enjoy what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Ye stop stop stressing about it. It's all okay, you're gonna be fine.
Speaker 6: We're lucky. This is fun. This is fun, you know God.
Speaker 1: Yes, anyway, Well, thank you so much for joining us, for talking about this week of your life that you spent with us. We're so honored you were willing to come back and spend an hour with us today talking about this week of your life. We thought you were so wonderful in the episode. Your episode is the standout episode of the season. Where we are at this point.
Speaker 6: It's so special, like and the love connection thing, because don't you all go on to be together on the show. Yeah, so good, so good.
Speaker 2: You're so sweet for.
Speaker 6: Being such a jerk that I pushed me into the arms of the purse. Thay, thank you all so much for having me, and congratulations on the pod and like the success that you continue to still have from like the show. And it's just really lovely to see both your faces.
Speaker 5: Great to see you Magize.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Bye bye Van.
Speaker 1: So fun to talk to her too. What a great, vibrant, bright personality she is.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, it's one of those things that you know when you hear about how kind of effortless the beginning of her career was as far as like this person saw her and recommended her. That this person recommended to that. And it's like when it's that like straight line of ascension, you know that there's something special, you know, some talent or some inner spark or something that just is undeniable, and it's like this person's going to have a career and we just kind of have to get out of her way, you know, and that there are people like that, they're just shooting stars and you're like, okay, and to be able, you know, the trick is to maintain it, you know, and to knock it burned out to not you know, and she hasn't. She's just loved it and enjoyed it and made it her career and taken it seriously.
Speaker 1: The very first trick was for her family to not overthink all the things there are, to overthink about all the reasons why we shouldn't pick up and move from Louisville to la and all the reasons why it could not work. Had had that not been a risk they took, which is a massive risk, it wouldn't have paid off.
Speaker 5: And she said brothers, like she has multiple others that moved in there. It sounds like they were younger. It's like, that's such a commitment. Think about the sacrifice that they made for you know. But I guess if you don't even have a car, the amount of money that your sixteen year old daughter might make is like she said, everybody, she.
Speaker 1: Said, it was not a ton of money, but at the time, it was more than they had ever seen.
Speaker 4: So that's that's in context.
Speaker 5: That's really hard to Yeah, that can turn south so quickly, like some people we've interviewed on this show whose parents were like just gobbling up that money and being you know, so child acting.
Speaker 2: Is weird, man, Yeah, it is. It's weird, very weird.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod Meets World Show. You can send us your emails pod meets World Show at gmail dot com and we have merch Maggie March pod Meets Worldshow dot com writer send us out.
Speaker 5: We love you all, pod dismissed. Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfordell and Ryder Strong. Executive producers Jens and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Taras Sudbach producer, Maddy Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton Allen. Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at Podmets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com