Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media just played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 3: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 3: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: Last week we covered the horrific abuse allegations against Representative Max Miller, who is still running for reelection, and he announced over the weekend I'm going to have a big speech on Sunday morning, and so people were watching wondering whether he was going to drop out given the severity of these abuse allegations, both against his ex wife and against his own child. But no, in fact, he doubled down and denied that any of this was true. Let's go ahead and take a listen to a little bit of what he had to say.
Speaker 4: My former wife has claimed that during a custody exchange at my home that day, I assaulted her. Here's what actually happened, and I have the ring doorbell footage that backs it up. She came to my home in a good mood, and we have text messages to prove it, which you'll have to pick up our daughter early for our friend's birthday party. She was inside my house for several minutes when she left. The video shows her walking out carrying our daughter calm, in the same good mood, showing no distress whatsoever. And as they left, you can hear me say goodbye, I love you and I love you Ruthie, literally telling my ex wife.
Speaker 1: That I still cared for her.
Speaker 4: Does that sound like somebody who would just walk out and who had been violently thrown a wall and been abused. She didn't call the police after that. She didn't go to the hospital. Ladies and gentlemen, do you want to know what she did? She went straight to a child's birthday party. The very next day, we had a friendly phone call about our daughter's upcoming hospital procedure, and I drove in from Washington to be there for it.
Speaker 1: Six days later.
Speaker 4: She offered a cook empanadus for me for dinner just two days later after this alleged incident. The day after that, she invited me and my girlfriend and which you'll have in text messages, to join her and our daughter at a playground. And that day I just went with my former wife to the playground to spend time with our daughter. A week later, on February fifteenth, she wrote to me in her own words which you will see, I think it's great you and I are in a friendlier place. She then offered me more extra overnights with our daughter, which I can proved every single one of you is recent. Every one of these messages is timestamped on our court sanctioned co parenting app and is all in the packet. Only weeks later did the story of February first assault a pierre. So ask yourself if I had assaulted her, would she had offer to cook meat dinner six days later? Would she have invited me to spend an afternoon at the playground with her and our daughter. Would she have written that we were in a friendlier place. No, she wouldn't have Ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot to say about that.
Speaker 2: First of all the fact that she had made some efforts at sort of maintaining the peace and keeping up relations with this man who continues to have shared custody of her daughter. I don't think disproves any of the abuse allegations. He makes a lot of claims in this twenty minute speech he gave here. I watched the whole thing. One of the claims that he makes is definitively untrue. He says, all of the allegations of abuse from his ex wife, who by the way, her father is Republican Senator Bernie Moreno, put a pin in that we'll get to that in just a moment.
Speaker 5: That is not true.
Speaker 2: Stephanie Grisham, who was part of the first Trump White House, was in a relationship with him and alleged that he threw her up against the wall and slapped her when she accused him of cheating on her. There were allegations against him in high school that he allegedly threw a girl down the stairs. In high school, there were allegations that came out in the custody hearings that he was expelled from college for violence against a woman and mother. Jones has done the most comprehensive reporting on this, and you spoke to some of the people who were involved here who stand by their stories alleging abuse against him. So it is simply not true that the only abuse allegations come from his ex wife. In addition, he released a bunch of audio and contemporaneous records to try to clear or his name. And so we learn one thing, which is that he was apparently surreptitiously recording his ex wife and other loved ones, which is you know, it was legal, I guess in the state of Ohio, but very shady behavior. In any case, one of those audios seems to really undermine some of the stories that he's been telling as well. He told the New York Post one of the abuse allegations was that he had thrown scalding hot water at his ex wife and that she had you know, she had marks from this water. He had told the New York Posts this never happened, and that the marks that we have pictures of on her skin were from a sunburn. In one of the audios that he himself released, he seems to acknowledge that this scalding hot water incident occurred. However, he purports that they were just horsing around in the kitchen and he sprayed her with the tap water and it couldn't have been that hot to injure or burn her. Let's go and take a listen to this surreptitious recording that he provided of this interaction between him and his ex wife.
Speaker 4: It never was done to hurt you. And you know that you were weaponizing this because of my previous allegation, and then you knew it was because.
Speaker 5: I was crying, So.
Speaker 4: I didn't need to hurt you.
Speaker 1: I didn't need to hurt you.
Speaker 4: Why are you scared me? Why? Yeah, I didn't mean to hurt you. It wasn't done with intent. You just said it yourself. You literally just said it yourself. It wasn't done to hurt you. And I told you before that not to come over to me and start screwing around with me.
Speaker 5: It was Emily you are taking.
Speaker 4: You know, you're taking a playful incident and making something the fairiers of Emily going out of the faucet. It does not get to a temperature of boiling water. It does not put it. I did it, and I tested it, and I had our attorneys tested because I figured that this is what you were going to come at me with. And it's literally, well no, no, but literally it's like standing under a hot shower and we already have someone to go ahead and combat. This is what you're going to do.
Speaker 2: And so Tiger, let me get you to weigh in. But just so people know the totality of the allegation she's making here, there's not only the scalding water allegation. She also alleges that he held a gun to her head. Their daughter's collarbone was broken, and she suspects that he may have been to blame. She says that the daughter has told her that daddy's house is quote scary, and there's a bunch of other stuff from there at court hearings. That is just like, you know, horrifying treatment of the woman who just gave birth to your child. Abandoned again, allegations, abandoned her after like two days after she gave birth, refused to be present for the childbirth, made all sorts of like derogatory comments about her body given that she had just given birth to a child. So that's the sort of stuff that we're that we're dealing with here.
Speaker 3: Right, And like you said, Miller, denies it all, and he's actually suing both Moreno and Grisham for defamation. He released that speech in to defend himself, I mean, objectively looking at all of it, like you said, with the a lot of the incidents from Mother Jones's report, again which Miller had been contacted for comment and which he denied.
Speaker 1: Many of these.
Speaker 3: However, some of it at least comes from court records. What you could see, you know, in that audio, at least the one that he released, is he is admitting that there was.
Speaker 1: Some hot water or all of that involved.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Part of this is just seems so silly. It's like, why are you speaking to the mother of your child like that? Like what are you doing? Like That's that's where I just followed down, especially when you have a two year old daughter, and then this bitter custody dispute in which there's clearly like insane antagonism from his side, and you know, just the general like would she have offered to cook me dinner?
Speaker 1: Six?
Speaker 3: I'm like, dude, yeah, you share you know, a child, so they probably want to keep things like somewhat amicable. Even if there had been some situation between the two of you as you well pointed out, Trump was asked about this, by the way, because he is actually running for reelection.
Speaker 1: Here's what he had to say.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm going to look at it, and I've been so far it's accusations. I'll be looking at.
Speaker 3: It, said, so far, it's just accusations. I'll be looking at it. That's part of the problem for the Republicans. This is too late, i think, or at least from what they've said, to replace him. We did have Bernie Marino. We could put C four up here on the screen, the sitting senator from Ohio, whose daughter Emily, is the person who obviously is in the center of all of this. He says, as a father and a husband, I can tell you the last two years have been pure hell for my wife, Bridget, our daughter Emily, me our entire family. In the aftermath of Emily's divorce. It has been horrific to watch this play out in public view, all while knowing an innocent two year old girl is caught in the middle. My priority has been protecting our daughter and our granddaughter. Out of concern for the safety of my family, I hope to keep this matter private. But Max Miller's increasingly erratic, erratic and dangerous behavior has made it impossible. As he admitted privately, Max Miller needs serious psychological help. He's a danger to my daughter. I hold my breath every minute he has customy my granddaughter. If there are any basic standards of character required to hold elected office, Miller fails them.
Speaker 1: He should not serve in the House of Representatives.
Speaker 3: I believe Miller needs to seek professional help to end the clear pattern of abuse he has left in his wake. I believe he should not be free to continue in endangering others until he does. I ran for office because I wanted to make a difference, etc.
Speaker 1: He says.
Speaker 3: The sacrifice has been very hard on my wife, Bridget, whose big heart and study support I've never waivered. I owe it to her, Emily, and to my granddaughter to speak the truth.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: That was the first time that he has actually said anything about the situation, which is kind of mind boggling considering it's his own daughter and granddaughter at the center of it. I did ask around, and apparently one of the reasons why had to do with some of the custody disputes and some of the re election stuff that's going on behind the scenes. But nonetheless, Chalking Miller has responded, by the way, see five, let's put it up here on the screen. He said, Bernie Marino, if my daughter said the same thing to me, I personally wouldn't wait two years before holding him accountable. You know this isn't true, and the only reason you are speaking out now is to hide from your own media circus.
Speaker 1: This is all political.
Speaker 3: He appears to be insinuating that he has some dirt on Bernie Moreno and has said that now for many years. I mean, it does have kind of a point saying I wouldn't have waited two years to be able to come out. But nonetheless, this is a bitter and a very dramatic situation in the Ohio Congressional delegation, which does highlight too. You know, you just had this whole platinum situation going on with the Democrat. He obviously dropped out immediately, but Republicans still, I mean mostly you are either silent or are rallying around him because they don't want to lose the seat. I have not looked at the odds or the polling in his district, but I can't imagine that this is going to be helpful.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, on the political front, Moreno is the only one, literally the only elected Republican in Washington who has said that he should not be in Congress.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: And yeah, there's a direct contrast with the platinerm situation. You know, when there was a credible sexual assault threat and some of these very same people who are now running around on the Republican side and saying Miller's a great guy and I'm helping him get reelected are the same people who are, you know, cassiating Democrats for their lack of morals. So you can see, I mean it's you know, it's trite at this point to make the hypocrisy point, but it's just so overwhelmingly in your face with this one that it's hard to avoid. So there's that he So with regard to Moreno, this had come out during his campaign and I had forgotten about this, but his work account, Moreno's had been used to set up a profile on a gay dating website where said profile indicated was looking for on one situations with quote unquote young men. A staffer came out and said that he had set this up as some sort of a gag.
Speaker 5: So there's a lot of speculation.
Speaker 2: That maybe that is what Miller is threatening Moreno with to reveal. He's texted him something like, you know, I'll reveal things that show you know, show people I know you even better than your wife does, something of that nature. And so anyway, that's a speculation in terms of what Max Miller has on Bernie Marino. Of course, none of us really know what the you know substance or if there is any substance of allegations against Moreno. One other piece here just in terms of the credibility the allegations against Miller. There's also a note that The Daily Mail was able to get their hands on that allegedly happened that Miller wrote to his ex wife right after the alleged water scalding incident occurred, where he said to her, I don't know what to do. I do know you love me, protect me and care for me. I failed to do that for you. It's eating me alive. I love you, even if you think I don't. I love you so much. I'm so sorry. I'm just a fuck up and worthless. So Moreno contends that this was a sort of like apology for the water scalding incident, which would indicate that he knows that he heard her. He claims this that was not the context of this note. It was around some sort of like political dispute. So in any case, I just wanted to put that out there in terms of backing up her story and the credibility therein. But the withdrawal deadline in Ohio is August fifths, two days from now. Doesn't look like he's dropping out. It's a district in Ohio that Trump won by eleven points. However, when Bernie Moreno ran for the Senate, he only won this district by one point. So I think it very much is you know, in play for Democrats, the Democratic nominee seems to be pretty strong. Brian Poindexter is a union iron worker, position himself as a populist, So you know, I think this is the weird thing to me with Republicans just standing by him in lockstep is I don't actually think that this is a smart tactical decision for them, because if they just got some run of the mill, generic Republican in there, the seat would likely they'd be able to hang on to it. But with him, because he is you know, uniquely has these horrifying allegations against him, and many people won't want to vote for him because of that reason.
Speaker 5: He puts the seat in jeopardy.
Speaker 2: And then the last thing I'll say about him is he genuinely would not exist as a political figure without Trump.
Speaker 5: He you know, had.
Speaker 2: Issues in college, and he he becomes like an intern on Marco Rubio's campaign, and then when Rubio drops down, then he goes over to Trump.
Speaker 5: Trump likes him.
Speaker 2: He ends up in charge of part of Trump's advanced team, you know, in an aid in the first Trump White House.
Speaker 5: And then once this.
Speaker 2: Seat, I think the guy who held the previously had voted for trump impeachment after January sixth, So Trump was like, okay, we got the perfect guy, endorses him.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 2: He's a congressman, so you know, this is a Trump loyalist through and through, truly, you know, creature of the Maga movement. He's also one of the most like pro genocide freaks in the entire Congress, which is really saying something. So anyway, that's a little bit of the political backstory.
Speaker 3: I knew more about the Gaza angle and how dedicated he is to Israel that's what he originally came on my radar four.
Speaker 1: I guess if you will.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like you said, One thing I have heard often in Washington is that many Republicans think it was such a huge mistake to kick out George Santos because it really hurt their margins in the House of Representatives, and currently where the Republican margin is, it's so razor thin. They just think that they can't accept even kicking out somebody who's so obviously deserving. I know, I think Jim Jordan has been asked about this before, so yeah, you could see that logic very clearly on display or all of them.
Speaker 1: But obviously why not just.
Speaker 5: Have him not run for re election?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: They can't force him to, right, I mean at the end of the I mean, I guess they can. They could say, look, you're not going to get a dollar from the committee or any of that, but.
Speaker 1: He might just say, you know, we have no idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, I mean, also it comes down to Trump. Trump could just come in and say you're done, I'm going to endorse somebody else. We all know that the Republican base would vote for it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, well that's what I really think is going on. I think they're all taking there the lead from Trump. They don't want to get crosswise with him. They know this is his guy, and so since he is standing by him, they're all going to stand by and that's how they make their decisions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: All right, We got Wan David Rojas standing by to talk about Swain Spain.
Speaker 1: Let's get to it, all.
Speaker 5: Right, guys.
Speaker 2: There was a wild situation unfolded, unfolding in Seouta, Spain, a place that I did not know exists, but I am now learning a lot about. So this is across from the Spanish mainland, right next to Morocco and on the street of Gibraltar. What you see here is of thousands of migrants who suddenly surged to and over the border into this Spanish territory. There were images that immediately seemed to suggest this was some sort of an organized movement, not only because the flood of people who suddenly emerged, but also because you saw them arriving on trucks and being unloaded near the border. We now have a lot of testimony from some of the migrants, most of whom have now returned to Morocco, but some of the migrants who were part of this wave, saying that they were encouraged by the Moroccan authorities there at the border, saying also that there were a lot of Facebook posts saying, hey, the Spanish border is open. You can see here people who are struggling, collapsing on the beach there. You know, there were migrants who were killed and injured as part of whatever this was. And so now to talk about what exactly happened here and why there are suspicions that the US and Israel could have been involved in what would be a sort of hybrid war operation. Is Wanda vid Rojas. He is a calmness at unheard. He has a new article up. We can put D two up on the screen, and his headline here is did Maga create the Seyuta crisis? Morocco is cozying up to Trump. Welcome one, great to see.
Speaker 1: You, Good to see you man, Thanks for having me on guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, of course.
Speaker 2: So just start by giving a little versati all correct anything that I said that might have been wrong. Give a little bit of backstory here about what this place is, what happened, and why it has so much significance.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So around sixty thousand migrants over I think it was on Friday or Thursday, cross over into the Spanish territory called Sayuta. And so Spain actually has these two enclaves across the Strait of Gibraltar on the coast of Morocco, Sayuta and Melida. There are just these like two cities completely surrounded by Morocco and they've actually controlled them since the fourteen hundreds. But you know, it's been a point of contention between Spain and Morocco. Morocco says that it should be theirs on account of, you know, the geographical location. But you know, this area of the world is really interesting if you're into the decolonial stuff, because you have Gibraltar itself, which is you know, controlled by the UK, which Spain says should be theirs. And then on the other hand, Morocco claims all of what's called Western Sahara further south, which used to be a Spanish territory as well. Spain handed it control over to it in Morocco, and there's been an insurgency there because of the sarawi Is, the native people of a Western Sahara don't want to be part of Morocco, and this is a horrific it's kind of like a Palestine situation. They built like wall to keep out like the separatists and have like an exchange fire with these insurgents for a long time, and actually for decades, Morocco has used these two cities, sautn Melija in order to get at Spain and also Algeria for like supporting these Sarawi separatists. And so a lot of analysts have thought that because Spain had been like forging closer relations with Algeria, which allegedly provides support to the Sarawi's, Morocco just decided, hey, you know what, We're just gonna screw Spain like this now going a step further. You know, Morocco doesn't need it doesn't really take orders from anyone there, the king there, that they have their own internal politics and whatnot. But I definitely think they feel emboldened because in recent years Morocco has really forged close ties with Israel.
Speaker 1: In the US.
Speaker 7: In twenty twenty, under Trump's first administration, the Abraham Accords, Morocco was a signatory, and in exchange, the Trump administration recognized Morocco's control over Western Sahara. Then in more recent years, like the Trump administration hosted these like covert talks with like Morocco and other countries over like the Western Sahara issue.
Speaker 1: Uh and uh and but the.
Speaker 7: Interesting thing is like if you look at Maga, all of a sudden they care a lot about these two cities South Melitia. Why is that?
Speaker 6: And Uh?
Speaker 7: Like in March, uh Diaz a representative Diaz Bullart from here in South Florida. He said that, uh, South and Melitia should belong to Morocco and that Spain is a colonial power, which is crazy. He's basically like in toning Fidel Castro, I argued in the piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so uh, it's a it's nuts.
Speaker 7: Thomas Massey pointed out that last week the House passed a bill that would have given like forty million dollars to Morocco, and in the bill it recognizes South is Melijia as part of Morocco. So this is crazy stuff. Days before this, also, Morocco named its highway that goes through Western Sahara after Donald Trump. And Trump has a a true social post where he he says thank you to the Great King of Morocco. I hope to one day ride through this amazing, beautiful highway.
Speaker 1: And then the question, the question kind of is is like why now?
Speaker 3: And so I know there's been some there's been a lot of speculation, especially around Morocco and Israel's relationship. For example, we have D four we can put here on the screen, an extraordinary statement from Yayir Netsan Yahu. He is the son of Benjamin An, the Prime Minister of Israel. He said in twenty nineteen May twenty six, let's make a deal. We won't fund NGOs in your country calling you to give away Sueita and Mayiya, and you will stop funding NGOs in our country that calls us to give away Judea and Samaria. This is part of obviously the West Bank and Gaza in their parlance. This included actually a thread in a map that Yay're posted, including direct threats by Morocco to take over Sueita and Maia. So the Israel connection here somewhat interesting. This was one of many posts, including by it'smar Ben Gavier, the Israeli Foreign Ministry and others, attacking Spain after this migration wave. What is the connection there?
Speaker 7: Is it?
Speaker 3: Because of Spain's opposition to Israel and its conduct in Gaza.
Speaker 7: Exactly, exactly, Yeah, that was the last piece. So Spain under a prime minister, socialist prime minister at Pedro Sanchez, has been really critical both of the war in Gaza and now the Iran war, and even went as far as to not allow the US to dock its planes and that we have two bases inside of Spain. This is a huge deal the Rotain I forget the name of the other one, and so the MAGA has branded Spain like public enemy number one. And there's also the factor that they refuse to keep up with their defense spending commitments under NATO. But yeah, the Israeli is also, Yeah, this is they've been saying these kinds of things for years to get back at Spain because Sanchez has been in power since twenty eighteen, I believe. So, yeah, I definitely don't think it's a coincidence. Yeah. I mean I saw on like Newsmax they were saying, oh, the Spanish, look at this, it's because they're opposed to like Western civilization. Well, I mean it looks like you guys are kind of opposed to Western civilization right now.
Speaker 2: Right, let's go ahead and play to your point about the right wing interest here in Spain, Trump recently said there it's sort of issue a threat, said that the Spanish are not quote behaving nicely, but they will learn. Let's take a list of what he had to say.
Speaker 6: Ah, the Spanish the members of NATO, but not very good members of NATO. They say, no, we don't want to help other people.
Speaker 1: What are we doing?
Speaker 6: Huh, they are not behaving nicely. They will learn soon after they relinquish their grip on Cuba and the Philippage and Puerto Rico and they were all ours. They oh, we got them all.
Speaker 2: So interesting comments there from Trump. I'm also reminded one of a couple of other historical events here. One is my friend Yegor said that in Belarus Lukashenko did something very similar, bringing in migrants, mostly I rocky Kurdish migrants and using them and encouraging them, actually bringing them in on these like cheap flights and cheap tours supposedly a Belarus and then encouraging them to flutter over the border into Poland to sort of punish them for some things that they had done, sanctioning him and calling his election in question. It also of course, reminds very much of the Texas strategy of busing migrants into blue cities, into New York City, into Chicago, using people as ponds to make this sort of political point and create on difficult political situations for leaders that they're at odds with. So it's not like this would be a new tactic if it is, in fact, you know, the US and Israel that are encouraging this to go forward.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's exactly right, exactly right. Another good example is Turkey, which has long used migration in order to like extort the EU for concessions. I mean, and that's just what Morocco has done for forever. And you pointed out to me that apparently they found like Moroccan intelligence agents among the migrants that crossed over into Sauta, and you think about it. Unfortunately, I'm gonna be real, this is you know regard you know, I think it's a confluence of things, but it's a savvy political move depending on well, you know, whether it's Morocco, Israel, and or the US staging this. Because you know, Sanchez has now put in this really difficult position. In January, he actually passed this insane amnesty for basically everyone who was in Spain or who had come to Spaining regularly, which you know me personally, all say, I think it's great for the migrants, and it's great to not have this underclass of uh, you know, illegal workers. But on the other hand, and the problem with these kinds of amnesty is it's true, if you don't have overwhelming enforcement on new arrivals, amnesty has just create a further incentive for more illegal immigration. And so Sanchez now has to decide. It's like, oh, do I clamp down or do I just kind of do nothing. And you know, Sianchez has done a number of good things. His stance on against the US and Israel and also raising the minimum wage a toen is extremely popular. You know, it's not popular the amnesty he did, which has like a sixty percent disapproval rating. Wow, So it's it's extremely rough. It seems like, you know, I gave the advice that he should the correct posture. I think for left to says to say, look, migrants are human beings. They should not be abused, but they also can't abuse the system, and we need to have you know, have territorial integrity. And he to his credit said that, you know, this incident was a gross violation of spain sovereignty and a majority of those that went into the city have already been expelled. So you know, we'll see in the long term what the electoral consequences are. There's an election, a general election next year in Spain and Sianchez. You know, he's a really crafty guy, but I don't know if he's going to be able to pull the rabbit out of the hat this time. He has these coalition partners whom adm blamos that are extremely progressive. They're the like no human being as a legal type of people. But they've been tanking in the polls and they and the Socialists have consistently won less votes than the PP and BOX, which are the right wing parties. So Sanchez needs to really figure things out. And like the last election, he managed to like cobble this coalition with like minor regional parties by granting amnesty another amnesty to Catalan separatists, and that's a whole other issues.
Speaker 3: So yeah, let's let's let's leave that Spanish epparti on the back burner. As you said, I just want to emphasize your point D six up here on the screen that Spanish police had found members of Moroccan intelligence amongst the migrants. This is from l Espanol in Spain in terms of their investigation into it. But as you said, I do think it will be a very interesting case. It caused a real diplomatic problem for Sanchez, not just with Morocco, but there were calls to expel or i think temporarily suspend their access to the Schengen, which is the free movement or inside of Europe, which would be a dramatic escalation for all the citizens obviously of Spain. Kind of defeats the entire purpose of the European Union and exactly the type of thing, as you said, that could invite electoral backlash Hymn because of how you know, people in Europe really liked.
Speaker 1: That, so wow, fascinating, fascinating.
Speaker 2: ASU was one one last one for you, just on the Israel connection here. Some of the speculation I saw is that, you know, Israel, in terms of being able to export their own goods there, they got some problems in the Red Sea now to put it mildly, and so their other alternative route is through the Mediterranean Sea. Which of course you have to go through the Strait of Gibraltar. So they have very, you know, great interest in what's going on right there. Do you think that could be part of the motivation for their uh, you know, their their interest in Seyuda?
Speaker 6: Hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 7: Some analysts have pointed out why Sayuta and not Melija, because Melija is is far away from the Strait of Gibraltar itself. The thing is, without Sayota, Spain would have no control over the straight Well, I guess arguably, but but you know, the two most important ports are Gibraltar and uh Sayota. And another thing that that reminded me. I'm not sure how much this applies now, but some months ago I saw that Iran had given like Spanish ship's passage through the Strait of Harmon. So yeah, you can imagine that the Israelis and the US have been furious about that, right.
Speaker 3: A really good point, man, fascinating stuff. Really had no idea all goes back to the Treaty of Lisbon in sixteen eighty eight. Who am I such a fool for not having learned about it?
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you the colonial maga.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who was it that said, wars or how Americans learned geography.
Speaker 5: Apparently that process true, genuinely true.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks man.
Speaker 3: A major lawsuit here in the United States between the State of New York and Calshie, let's put this up here on the screen. Calshi now being sued by New York State saying that the prediction market is running a quote illegal gambling operation, an illegal, unlicensed gambling operation. After Calshe had originally proposed a framework to avoid a lawsuit with the state. Calsh basically had come to the state and said, if you allow us to operate, we'll cut you in on revenue. They promised up to ten billion dollars in revenue for the state on an eventual basis if they were allowed to have some sort of allowed, some sort of action. The key point is that Calsh had proposed a North Carolina six percent tax on trades, while New York State currently has a twenty three percent tax on traditional gambling. So New York, they claim, would have raised ten billion dollars. Like I said, over five years, talks broke down and the state sued. But I do want to focus on that very specifically. This ultimately is about whether prediction markets will be allowed to operate nationwide, as in do states have the right to regulate gambling in their state. Calshi maintains till the day till the day is long, that they are not gambling, that they are a prediction market which is authorized under event contracts, which is written into Dodd Frank legislation, which specifically had said there are two things that you're not allowed to trade prediction mark or event contracts on ergo under that legal framework which has now been operationalized by the CFTC under Donald Trump. That any other event contract is allowed to be is allowed to be given nationwide.
Speaker 1: Thus states are not allowed to regulate it.
Speaker 3: However, if you actually look into some of the details, a lot of that begs belief in my opinion. Let's go to the next one for example, shall we. This is from Bloomberg and they just showed new data shows that parlay bets quote are burning gamblers. Again as there or there as the market booms on Calshi. So Calshi likes to operate and to tell us that they are an event contracting website in which people can hedge risk. They famously, very recently have pointed out an ice cream shop who hedges the risk of rain because their revenue is going to go down and this guy is able to pay his rent, or a guy who recently hosted a conference but he wanted to hedge the risk that flights would get canceled and thus make sure that he would make his money no matter what. The truth though, is that the vast majority of the contracts being traded on this website are just sports bets. So when we break down like, for example, these parlay bets, the very same things the degenerates are betting on FanDuel or DraftKings, they are losing some you know, hun of millions of dollars and what we can see in front of here, betters on Calshi's app and website since the start of the year, excluding fees, have lost a net two hundred and ninety four million dollars. The losses of these sports of wagers quote used to be largely captured by sportsbook but the prediction markets are now changing that dynamic by promoting similar trades to their small time customers. Again, the very same type of people who would be using these gambling apps in order to offer them. Of course, they demonstrate and talk to a lot of people who previously were on FanDuel, now they're doing it on Calshi. But if you're doing a quote unquote combo bet or a parlay bet, you are gambling at the end of the day. And Crystal, the reason why I wanted to highlight this is that I'm almost certain about what's going to happen. This date lawsuit is going to. What Calshi is offering is something called preemption. They're moving into federal court. They've had a mixed bag in terms of court rulings. Their ultimate goal is to get this before the United States Supreme Court. The Supreme Court, which is very libertarian, largely appointed here by Donald Trump, is almost certain to side with the Trump administration. The Trump administration CFTC, as I said, argues that these prediction markets are explicitly allowed by Dodd Frank.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Dodd Frank, by the way.
Speaker 3: And what it means is that you can have nationwide event contracts aka sports gambling.
Speaker 1: And why is that all important?
Speaker 3: Because first of all, it removes the ability, even though I don't support it, of the state to regulate at all. Number one, like we're talking here about the twenty three percent tax versus the six percent tax. But two, none of us really signed up for this. None of us knew that a Supreme Court case from twenty eighteen, and now these websites capitalized with hundreds of billions of dollars with all kinds of insider trading concerns and others, would make it so that there will be nationwide sports gambling and there's nothing that any of us can do about it at an individual state level, where at the very least we had previously understood that we had some control.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: There's a reason why Kels is so insistent that these are this is not gambling. These are futures contracts because futures contracts are regulated by the FEDS. Gambling is regulated by the states. They don't want states, and New York's not the only one, but they don't want states to be able to rein them in and regulate them. They want it to be left all to the federal level, and specifically to go to the Supreme Court because they know the libertarian bent there. Now, the flip side of this is you say, okay, well, if it's being regulated by the Feds, then does that mean that at the federal level, under maybe a different administration, we could ban or at least control this stuff. But you can bet if there was some law passed through Congress, Supreme Court would probably find a way to say that was unconstitutional as well.
Speaker 5: And that's where we really.
Speaker 2: Get into a failure of democracy that I think people are really experiencing here, not just with gambling, certainly on that front, but also on the AI data center front. There are things that are being done in our country right now that are completely transforming everything from individual communities and states all the way up to the entire world and the way that labor is going to operate in the economy that people have had effectively no say in. And so while you know, with the AI example on the data center front, there's been some local pushback that's been successful, I don't think anyone is under any illusion that nationwide they're going to build their data centers and they're going to get what they ultimately want. So it really does contribute to all of the ills that we've talked about here, the skyrocketing levels of depression, anxiety, suicide, bankruptcy, especially among young men, which have turned out to be quite a vulnerable demographic, but also in terms of the sense that society is being changed by oligarchs who stand to profit and make a lot of money, and we're being completely shut out of being able to shape that future and what it looks like at all.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, can I give everyone a good example to for why everyone should just stay off of these? During the World Cup between Argentina and Spain, Cauci users traded thirty thousand unique same game combos aka parlay, with many attracting thousands of bets. In the end, fewer than three percent resolved to yes, what are we doing here? And people willingly throw their money into this? And did anybody else including me? Notice Shalome in his little calchi ad and then the Calshi with stuff all around the World Cup? And you know, I guess to their credit, they charge less and they make less than the sports book. It doesn't make it any more any worse. You know, the fact that they're still taking advantage of so many different people I guess who are willingly throwing their money away. And to this point, let's put E four up here on the screen. I mean, this is now the state of the United States. Gambling has now become America's favorite pastime. Americans now spend more on sports bets than movies, art, museums, and music combined.
Speaker 1: This happened in an eight.
Speaker 3: Year period from the league realization in twenty eighteen of the twenty eighteen Sport Supreme Court case to twenty twenty six. That's all it took for basically unfettered, you know, unfettered and exploitative oligarchic capitalism, combined with states that completely fell for this nonsense about how great all the tax revenue would be to it becoming more the most important entertainment industry in America. And again, how many of us really acquiesced to this. It all just came down to a Supreme Court case. People fell for a lot of lies. We now see an explosion in addiction and in bankruptcy. I've covered dozens of those types of cases. It will only continue to get.
Speaker 1: Worse, worse and worse.
Speaker 3: Actually, much of the polling is beginning to turn against this at the very time that it is becoming a nationwide pastime. So I just encourage again everybody to look deep inside and to say, is this actually making our country better? Or is it a massive massively you know, extractive tax on the vast majority of working class men, because that's what it is if you actually want to look at it empirically. Last thing I want to show you is that even the corrupt NFL thinks that all of this is bad. Let's put what is it E five up here on the screen. Even they came to the FEDS and they were like, yeah, guys, you need to do more about insider trading. And by the way, this came after there were multiple insider trades that were placed. I think it was by Arizona in the lead up to the draft, where a draft insider used his insider information literally to profit tens of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: Luckily he was caught.
Speaker 3: But even the NFL is going to the CFTC today and again the same NFL, which is totally in league with the sportsman gambling companies and saying that right now a lot of these prediction markets are not they do there are not enough rules that are in place in order to catch insider traders. Calci again would come to me and say that they hate insider traders and that.
Speaker 1: They go after them.
Speaker 3: But you know, you basically have have to self regulate and trust that they themselves would come out and guarantee that they're going to investigate. No private company obviously should be able to do that. So I just want to highlight that even the NFL, who is totally in league with sports gambling, despite you know, opposing it for decades, even they are going to the FEDS and saying you're not doing enough to actually punish any potential insider trading, which I do believe will explode massively because even if Calci, you know, worries about insider trades, polymarket is still quasi legal here in the United States, and plenty of insider trades get placed there all the time, as we saw with a lot of these accounts that have been happily able to predict what's going on in Iran.
Speaker 1: So here we are sager.
Speaker 2: Do you think with the NFL, are they just concerned that you get to a point where no one believes that there's anything real about the games and that will undermine the value of.
Speaker 3: The of the league. Yeah, of course, because they see it firsthand. I just talked about that draft example. You literally had a guy on the draft council bet that you know his team was going to draft the player that they were going to draft. I mean, he's an idiot because he did it so blatantly. But all he had to do was call his brother in law or somebody else to go place the trade on your polymarket.
Speaker 1: Nobody would have known.
Speaker 3: Any would have made himself a ton of money and they could have split the cash. So if he was just a little bit smarter about it, how would they have been able to catch it?
Speaker 1: And that's just talking about the draft. Let's talk about the refs.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about all of the other individual trade bets that they offer. And that's the thing too, It's not even just about player performance. It's about player movement. It's about I mean, you know Love Island, that show that was just broadcasting recently, Calshi was all over advertising trying to get women to join on Calshie so that they could gamble on who's going to win the Loveland finale. I'm sorry, you know what, a producer who's on the show in England or you know wherever can't see that market have access. Let's see to some of the voting data by ITV or Peacock or whoever runs the show and can't make a little bit of money on that or call their you know, cousin, brother or anything. Again, Calshie'll tell you that they'll catch that person. Do you really trust it or should we just not have a market on that? And why should anybody be able to gamble on the Love Island finale? It's complete insanity. We remember, I think it was either Golden Globes or oscars, which included the odds within it. Again, these are voting decisions that come down to like the Director's Guild of where there's not even that many people in which the decision is known to a small group who easily could be able to exploit their information. So at the very basis, it just comes down to these markets shouldn't exist at all, as the NFL is actually kind of hinting at inside of this, and that's as bad. And this is them already being okay with the individual player performance bets, just to give an example of how concerned they are about the FEDS. But it's coming, and that's one of the reasons I want to do this segment is that very soon the Supreme Court is going to side with Calcium, almost one hundred percent sure of it, and this will be absolutely nationwide legal and unless there is a complete change in the way that we regulate this at the federal level, that is your faith now as a nation.
Speaker 2: And to go back to that piece about how now this betting, gambling is the number one pastime surpass movie, our museum, concert, everything all together. I mean, just think about what that means for society. So instead of actually going to a sporting event where you're with people, which is a social behavior, you're staying home and placing a bed on your phone, instead of going to a concert, again a social activity. You are instead spending that money, like losing that money, just feeding it to you know, all of arcs who run these companies. So it's a profound shift, and it's happened under our noses, and they're trying to take away our ability to do, to have any say and whether this is what we want our society to be.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, exactly, I think that's very well said.
Speaker 3: Money actually is a literal finite resource, and so if you put spend money on something else, then you're not going to have it for this, especially you know, when we're looking at these World Cup bets and you're getting a three percent win rate, which is so insane I can't believe that number is even legal, frankly, So yeah, there we go. Thank you everybody who's been subscribing and supporting the show. We appreciate it, and we will see you all tomorrow