Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. I'm Hannah Elliott and I'm Matt Miller.
Speaker 2: This is Hot Pursuit.
Speaker 1: Coming up on today's podcast. Now, we admit we have held this week's podcast over the weekend because we want to give you the most up to date impressions and thoughts that we have from Pebble Beach. I'm still in Monterey, and Matt has graciously agreed to do this from paternity leave on a random Monday.
Speaker 2: I'm decamped to camp.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, decamped at the lake, which.
Speaker 3: I'm up at Squam Lake in beautiful, rainy New Hampshire, and it is like the perfect place to be on the other side of the country from you. But how was Monterey? I mean, just in general, I know you're getting ready to drive the new Audi Supercar and so it's still going on for you, which I want to hear about. But in general, I guess the the big part of it's over, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: The big part of it ended yesterday morning. Of course. That's with the Pebble Beach Concord Elegance, the big car show of two hundred plus cars parked out on the fairway. That was sort of the end of the official week. And I really and this is really true, there were a couple big themes I think that people were talking about. One of them was, of course the singer partnership with LVMH, which we'll get to in a minute with our guests interview. And the other really big thing that everyone was talking about was this forty million dollar Ferrari Luce sale, which was a charity sale. And we do know who bought the vehicle.
Speaker 4: Who.
Speaker 1: It's a billionaire basically optimologist inventor named Herbert Weretime, and he is in his eighties. It has been acknowledged that he purchased a vehicle. From what I hear speaking with some of my sources here in Monterey, he is new to buying Ferraris. This is only his second Ferrari he's ever purchased. And a big, a big reason for him to buy the car, of course, is the charity. Also it's a great, great place to put money for tax purposes.
Speaker 2: Of course, what is the charity? What was the charity?
Speaker 1: This charity is Ferrari's own charity. It's like a youth charity that is operated through Ferrari. So it's all a bit insular and Frankly, when I see the auction results from the weekend, the ones that include this Ferrari sale, I think we should kind of remove this charity Ferrari sale from any auction takeaways, just because it's kind of its own thing. But we should say, while I'm on the topic, the cumulative total, according to Haggerty, from all of the auctions was so forty eight million dollars for the week which is really really wild, and I think that speaks to this the bigger takeaway from this weekend, which is that things are really on a really rapid expansion explosion. The amount of supercars, the amount of money, the amount of even if they're not supercars, uh, seven figure collectibles unprecedented. We have not seen this level of just money infused everywhere.
Speaker 3: And I mean this is just like Wall Street bets and retail investors are lining the pockets.
Speaker 2: Of like tech bigwigs.
Speaker 3: If you worked at SpaceX, you just did the IPO, all of a sudden, you have a few dozen more million dollars than you had before, So why not go to Monterey and buy some supercars? I mean, this is stock market at all time highs. The top half of the CA has never had it better, and they are buying everything, I mean, paying forty million dollars for Ferrari Luci. I know you want to set that aside, but makes no sense at all. It would if you were going to give it, if you were saying, like this is going to Saint Jude's cancer research, right, yeah, but this is kind of a weird mill ground because it's going to Ferrari's own charity.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I totally agree. And even if you know, like you said, even if we remove the Ferrari charity thing. I spoke with Mata Ramac, one of our favorite folks to speak with. We spoke with them last year from Monterey. I caught up with him again this year. He tells me Bugatti order books are full through twenty thirty. You know, he was just saying, it's unbelievable. People call him and say, I know your order books are closed, but can you just make this extra one car just for me? And it doesn't matter what you charge me. It seems it's reaching a bit of a fever pitch. I don't know when it's gonna nothing lasts forever, but yeah, it is very noticeable. The other thing that I noticed just driving around in Monterey is you know this I think is my seventeenth year coming. And when I first started coming, you'd see a lot of people just driving a special Mustang or a special old Camaro, or a special old you know, Triumph, or you know, some of just an old Lotus, just obscure. I don't know, one hundred thousand or less dollar cars that were obviously just the prize possession of hobbyists, and you really are not seeing that anymore. The cars on the road are serious supercars and serious you know, multiple million dollar vehicles. This like cute little sort of special classic car middle ground is not it's disappearing. It's not anymore.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit depressing.
Speaker 3: And I have to say that we'll get to the singer Louis Vaton collab. That's kind of feeding into the anger about this from your average car enthusiast. The fact that everything that used to be, you know, thirty thousand dollars is now three million dollars.
Speaker 2: It's just absolutely insane.
Speaker 3: By the way, just before you get off the mate Rimac note Bugatti had killed the W sixteen and now they're bringing back the W sixteen. Yeah, to make a one off for the same kind of person you were just mentioning, like I'll pay anything whatever it is. And we're seeing this across the industry. Carmakers that have canceled stuff are resurrecting them. Things like Porsche had canceled the seven eighteen, like the gas version, and now apparently they're saying, no.
Speaker 2: Wait, we're bringing it back.
Speaker 3: Plus the most I think that for me, the most exciting thing that I've seen is Porsche putting a stick shift in the Career E s and selling a special manual version that also comes with rear wheel steering and center lock wheels as fas.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have to say I did have like this weird feeling of like I'm kind of proud of automakers because I'm sensing that they're really trying. They are trying to make things that consumers want. Sometimes they hit the mark and sometimes they don't, and there are things that they can't control. And you know, obviously there are many factors involved in these decisions, but they are trying legitimately to make vehicles customers will buy. Obviously, they want to make money, you know. Talking with Stefan Winklman, another one of our favorites to talk to this. Lamborghini unveiled the Ravelto s V, which is their super viloch version of the Rovelto, which we love. Wow, you know it's a V twelve. It's this By the way, the Rovelto is their best selling V twelve ever, obvious, and and they're they're very unapologetic. And it's interesting because that company had always said, even back during the boom days of evs, our customers are telling our they don't want EV's and we're going to listen to that as much as we possibly can. And at the time, they looked a little behind the times, they looked a little maybe over conservative about adopting some of this new stuff, but they just kept saying, our customers don't want it, and as long as we're able, we're not going to put it in the cars. Obviously, things change the change wel to of course as a hybrid, but.
Speaker 3: To your point, but not to save money on gas.
Speaker 1: Correct, No, no, no, certainly not.
Speaker 3: But by the way, you know what, I heard a really cool interview with Tim Kiniskus from Dodge and he was talking about the new like Copperhead supercar that they've made, and somebody asked him why it isn't a hybrid, Why why is it just a gas gonna be a gas powered motor. I don't think, I don't think the powertrain has been made official yet. But his point was, you know what, putting batteries, putting electric motors in these cars in thirty years, it's going to be like we put the eight track in, which I think is an interesting thing to think about because I'm a huge we both are big fans of automakers using hybrid platforms to make cars more fun to drive, faster, higher performance. But it could be that in that there's something new comes out and eventually it's just so defunct that you're not able to get your battery or your electric motor service in thirty or forty years, you know.
Speaker 2: Totally total.
Speaker 1: That's very believable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so fat ish, Yeah, I love that that Porsche put the stick back in the carera ass. By the way, in the last couple of months you've had Ferrari putting a manual transmission of sorts in a car, pors manual transmission. And John Hennessy did he did you see his Blackbird there? He has a new supercar called the Blackbird which is naturally aspirated rear wheel drive.
Speaker 2: Stick shift, thanks you, John Hennessy. And no screens. Apparently there's going to be no screens in that.
Speaker 1: Thing completely, which is great. Also, let's not forget McLaren announced they're going to bring back this crue sort of a manual of sorts again type new supercar. McLaren is bringing back, or actually debuting their first manual transmission since the F one of the early nineties. So to your point, Matt, automakers are listening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I love it. Well, except for now.
Speaker 3: I think it's a great time to transition to the to thea that Singer and Louis Vatant have gotten Singer especially right. I mean, so we recorded this interview with the founder, really the founder and his partner at Singer, Robin Maz last week, and they were telling us all about this Louis Vuitton partnership, and I initially had a thought like that's kind of cheesy, but then they totally sold me because of all the engineering and all the incredible detailed work that went into it, and I was just totally fascinated by the fact that they would, you know, individually machine the Locke Pokers or that they you know, had the rubber gaskets and seals all made in a special Louis Vuitton blue and had to go back three times. So that kind of drew me away from the fact that hang on a second Louis Vauton. That's like the Paris Hilton of brands. This is like something for Kim Kardashian, and they should be making cars for Steve McLean.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, My interesting servation about that is I have actually never covered Singer for pursuits at Bloomberg really, and the reason for that is to editors, my editors who are not car people, half of them don't have driver's license, they don't really understand that a singer is not a portie and also a singer is not just a resto mod and I think that's that's fine. That actually indicates for most readers, for most people, even car people, it's difficult to describe what singer is doing. But the minute you put Singer and LVMH together, while people understand Louis Vaton, of course they know that, and so that is really what had that partnership is what has made Singer compelling for us now to look at and we did do some TV with Singer last week as well here from Mona Rey and I do think the partnership, although you're right it's a bit of an unusual, unexpected pairing for reaching a larger audience, and they certainly did that, and we can talk about that. They certainly reached a new and larger and non car audience. LVMH makes sense. LVMH, of course, is moving into the car world in multiple ways.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, I have always loved Singer and I've had Rob on TV in the past, you know, because to me, what Singer does is exactly what I would want to do if I had basically an unlimited budget. And my favorite Portia nine to eleven of all the generations would probably be the nine to six four because it's the last of the what do you call it, the G body, you know, look, and they make everything modern and fun to drive. They don't care about the performance figures. I don't care either about now I would I don't even want that. I want to drive a fun car. And they make they're so beautiful, They're so intricately produced. There's so there's such incredible works of art that to me, a Singer has always been like the ultimate car. If I could choose any car in the world, it would be the Singer, no problem.
Speaker 1: Wow, Oh I'm shocked. I'm shocked.
Speaker 3: Sure, because everything is exactly I mean, you can make it work with rob.
Speaker 1: And can choose the Singer over a Roof.
Speaker 3: I sure would, absolutely, because I think they're far better pieces of art and I don't really care about the performance as much. I want it to be amazingly fun to drive, and both of them, I'm sure to make cars that would be amazingly fun for me to drive.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm very surprised.
Speaker 3: No, I to me, Singer is like the ultimate piece of driveable art you could ever ever purchase. And but louis the Tom and Gucci and these you know, big mall brands. I realize that they do other stuff, but they're basically the kind of stores that make me unhappy about shopping around the world because they're there every place I go, you know. And it's also not the kind of I don't want to be associated with those logos and the total consumerism like unabashed, you know, all about the label. It's not really about the quality when you buy a Louis Vuitton bag. Right, It's not some incredible leather. It's not some horse hide that's tanned in Japan at the Shanky, you know, Tannery. It's some kind of plastic that they've made up, and the only reason it costs.
Speaker 2: More is because they put their logo over it.
Speaker 3: That's not what I want from a car. It's not what I want from a Singer, So I can understand the backlash, and of course it adds to the fact that before Singer, you could buy a nine sixty four for thirty or forty thousand dollars in excellent shape.
Speaker 2: Now it's double or triple that.
Speaker 1: Well, singers are selling for more than actual at auction, which is a testament to everything you've said.
Speaker 3: So of course, yeah, well I would rather have a Singer than any actual Porsche as well, because I love what they do to it. They make a big, naturally aspirated lump, they put a stick shift in there, and they make it, you know, for me, as much fun to drive as any GT three that Pronier makes himself.
Speaker 1: So you know, well, I will say, you know, of course, through the weekend I have executives asking me what I think about it. I'm asking them. Everyone's talking about it, including a couple extremely wealthy and well known investors I'm not going to name, but the online reaction is one thing. But I do think it's interesting that when you talk to people who are in positions of power here on the ground in Monterey, many of them were of the mind that all press is good press, and that the bad reaction to how these cars look is not enough to offset the value added proposition of working with this company LVMH, more specifically LVMH than just Louis Vaton.
Speaker 2: I see, I see it the other way around.
Speaker 3: I think the cars look fantastic. I think they're I think the engineering and design is amazing. I mean they're just there's nothing else that's made to that standard, to that level.
Speaker 2: It's absolute perfection. To me.
Speaker 3: The the problem is the collaboration with this you know, multinational uh, you know, luxury handbag maker. It just doesn't make any sense at all. And I hate myself for not having said that to Robin maz Well.
Speaker 1: That was an early conversation we had, and I think it's great that we they're they're happy to talk about it, they're happy to talk about how the partnership came together. You know, this is this is one thing. They're going to move on to something else. I know they've already got things in the pipeline, so you know, to me, it's kind of like, oh, right, this this The cars weren't a hit, but you can move on well.
Speaker 3: I also I was also thinking, as soon as the bad backlash came out on the internet, whoever buys these cars and banks some is a smarty because in twenty years or thirty years, maybe they'll have the bad rep. But there's still there's still such amazing works of art, and I mean they're just incredibly well designed and made, and having that black eye of the internet backlash can only add value to them.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, it's different for me.
Speaker 3: Than the Luce which is which which I think could actually.
Speaker 2: Hurt Ferrari's brand if it hasn't already.
Speaker 3: I mean, the Lucha taking away the forty million dollars sale was a horrible decision at every level.
Speaker 1: I think there are many people and maybe myself included, who think the opposite, that think it was actually kind of a masterstroke on Ferrari to do that. To clearly they arranged for this. We don't know the conversations that happened behind the scenes, but it does set a certain benchmark. It does prove that someone's willing to spend sixty times the cost of the vehicle. It generates a ton of buzz. It dominated conversations this weekend on concourse Sunday. It's sort of to me it's Ferrari leaning into this. As we know they don't have to sell many Luchs at all. They've said they've already sold out. They weren't making that many of them anyway, And anecdotally, I've heard multiple Ferrari owners say, yeah, I'll buy one, it's not a big deal. This goes back to our conversation about wealth Matt because their under attitude is I'm going to get strong armed into buying one, and that's fine, but it's you know, they're willing to take the that to take that hit in order to stay in Ferrari's good graces.
Speaker 3: I just think it's bad for Ferrari's image. I mean, they were the masters of handbuilt, you know, mechanical vehicles, and now they're selling Now they're selling computers on wheels designed by Apple, which is the ultimate consumer brand, which is the ultimate sort of Oi POLLOI vox popular consumer brand, you know.
Speaker 1: I mean, we have to really look at the lou Jas separate.
Speaker 2: From the rest of the Apple car. They said, let's make an Apple car.
Speaker 1: Why if anybody who was at the Ferrari the Kassa Ferrari Cossa this weekend, there were dozens of new old classic Ferraris on the lawn. I mean, Ferrari was the do dominant presence, I would say here in Monterey in terms of cars on the road, cars on the lawn, cars on the auction block. Even still, yes, the lucha is polarizing. It's to me, it's sort of like this, It's like the planet Pluto way out in the universe of Ferrari. It's not anywhere near what's happening in the main orbiting of everything in the Ferrari universe.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, polarizing usually means there's split opinion, And I think everybody has a negative opinion of the lads, except for this eighty year old guy who maybe forty dollars to a charity. I don't think that that really represents Herbie's new.
Speaker 1: He's new, He's just getting into it. He's got the enthusiasm of.
Speaker 3: Herbie was like, let me buy a luch so that in five years they let me buy when I turned ninety, they'll let me buy, you know.
Speaker 2: The real supercar.
Speaker 3: Sure, the real supercar is also going to have it's got already a synthetic gear shift, and it'll have any synthetic throttle and a synthetic handbrake, and eventually it's going to have like augmented reality wheels and you won't even need a road to drive it. I mean, that's not what it's supposed.
Speaker 2: To be about.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's maybe that's the future of cars, and it seems like it's the future of Ferrari.
Speaker 1: I disagree. I don't think Ferrari. I don't think that's the future of Ferrari. I think if anyone brand, I'll take the posing view, if anyone brand is actually big enough to withstand a massive hit against against the brand, and the Lucha did was a big blow. I mean, look at their stock prices that have jump bounced back to quite a bit. It's Ferrari. I think they can withstand this blow and keep keep moving forward.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, uh, let's agree to disagree on that as well as the singer. By the way, I would choose a Singer over a Ferrari, even if we're talking about what if we're talking about class Yes, yeah, no, worn't for the price tag. I'd rather have a singer classic then at two fifty you know, Gto.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to let you have the singer and I'll have all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Of course I make a lot of bad decisions in life.
Speaker 1: Let's talk with Mas Flaws and Rob Dickinson. They are the key executive leaders and creative forces behind Singer, which is the renowned Portia nine to eleven reimagined company making cars out here in California.
Speaker 3: Rob, you want to kick it off and tell us what you've got.
Speaker 5: Well, perhaps Mas is best at setting this up because Mas has very much been at the at the epicenter of of nurturing this, this relationship with Louis Vitel. And as you know, we're about to we're on the on the precipice of showing the world two cars that we've done with them, which are which are which are seriously special and unprecedented for us, a little bit unprecedented for the Veto as well. But it's been you know, we're going to be showing the product of almost two or maybe even three years, two and a half years work with them quietly behind the scenes, and math can certainly tell you a little bit more about how it started, all.
Speaker 6: Right, Matt, Yeah, so yeah, it's uh we we You know, we made friends with some of the folks over in Paris, just through friends of friends, and got to discussing the idea of of of a very mildly Louis Vuitton themed a thing, a clock, and then a bit more of the car, and a bit more of the car, and a bit more of the car.
Speaker 1: And second, I'm going to interject here because I want to talk specifics. When you say you made friends with friends of a friends, it sounds like you just said this actually started out with an idea around the time piece. Is that what you just said, and then expand it expanded to a whole car. Let's talk specifics here. Or was this you became friends with Nicholas and he wanted to do some you know, luggage or interiors. Let's let's get specific.
Speaker 6: He came much later, Okay, so uh a senior person over there who who Yes, I had an idea actually around the clock. There there in the time, the time piece business and the watch business. That was just the beginning of a conversation we never even got really. The clock ended up coming.
Speaker 1: Much later, and this is the iconic Louis Vuitton tambour Yes.
Speaker 6: And about turning that into a larger format. So in the nine to eleven far right, there's a there's a clock, well not in all of them, but but in a bunch of them, and so doing a larger format piece there that that clock conversation was very short. It all of a sudden became a conversation about approaching sort of from a design perspective, the entire car of our classics. So the original thing that Rob started with in two thousand and nine, and it really just sort of snowballed into you know, why don't we collaborate to do a car that has design cues from Louis Vuitton's history, which is one hundred and seventy two years of sort of tradition. But it wasn't meant to be public, which was just you know.
Speaker 1: It's just made for a private client, and it would.
Speaker 6: Have been made for a private client. Yeah, yeah, which is how all of our things work, right. So we entertained, you know, our customers' ideas, which can be you know, very exciting, sometimes very private though, so they can come and design what they want to design. It's their thing, you know, we ex important. Yeah, yeah, So that's really how it started. And then the really the sort of mind blowing moment was when actually they showed up. We had we just happened to be in town in my office and then just decided that they would tell me that they had some meetings in Paris and they would like this to be a public endeavor. So immediately called ron. I mean, we didn't see that coming, right. It's not something that we've ever done. So okay. We've done some very mild things with some suppliers that are very important to us, like Bosh or Michelin a long time ago, people really sort of helping us out on you know, some development Williams F one and some other things, but never really like the idea that we would partner with a brand to go on a mission publicly. We've been very conservative over the years and remain very conservative about what we say, how we say it, where we say it. You know, we're generally, I think relatively conservative as a brand. And so it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 6: It was a big brave step. And bear in mind they're a very obvious, very powerful, globally understood luxury brand, right and and they might have very strong feelings about how things look, you know, in my in my head, initially, you know, I'm imagining a Louis Vuitton car with you know, lv's and things all over it, which perhaps yeah, yeah, right, So but what I have is Rob, who would never let any you know, not something garbage is not going to leave this building. So it's not a thing with Rob around. I know, it's not going to happen if it's if it's an embarrassment or very difficult that you know, to to to to deal with. So it turned out that after you know, a pretty lengthy design process, that that's that's not what they did. It's the furthest thing from it. It it's kind of brilliant. I'd leave it to Rob to to suggest, but it isn't. I mean, you wouldn't know from a distance that there's anything Louis Vuitton on there. You'd have to go, you know, quite up close. And it was it was pretty and pretty cool. I mean, they're they have a very bold vision. I mean, they're obviously sort of steeped in history and colors and traditions and all this other stuff. But the way they applied it was really pretty incredible. But it did, you know, very challenging to get done though. There's a lot of a lot of sort of very technical challenges and physical challenges. But anyway, so that that's really how it's sort of snowballed into this like whole car thing. And then then they wanted to develop a bunch of products, co branded off products related to that car. That first car, which was we had only very minimal involvement and suggestions on what some of the products could be, but they showed up with stuff that is just super humbling, really incredible. And then a second car, the idea to do a second car, which was which was the design process was run by Nikola Jescare who's the head of the head of women's fashion, or is the head of women's fashion at Louis Vuitton for a line in decades I think, brilliant guy, fabulous guy. And so Car two took shape, which really has a very different point of view from Car one. Similarly, a bunch of products and so on, all one off, like only one of everything is being made and those are the two things that were showing.
Speaker 3: So wait, tell us, maybe Rob, tell us about the car, because you know, Portia.
Speaker 2: Has two cars.
Speaker 1: We should be clear.
Speaker 2: About the cars.
Speaker 3: Portia has has a long history of doing like fashionable things right in a in a sense Pepita and Pasha and the Tartans.
Speaker 2: You know. The design stuff.
Speaker 3: That you do as well is like really interesting as far as design, but in terms of the engineering side of it, like what are the what are the basis for these vehicles like classic turbo wide body, what tell us those car guy details?
Speaker 5: Well, the first cars as alluded to, there was was was was was an a vision of the first car that we that we that we presented back in sixteen seventeen years ago, which which has been which has subsequently been known to become known as the classic, which is our celebration of the early Portion ninet eleven air called Portion nine eleven from the nineteen nineteen sixty five to nineteen seventy three period.
Speaker 1: We can say, yeah, it's everything.
Speaker 5: Everything we've done so far has been based upon the ninety six form model, which is a nineteen which is the nine eleven that emerged in the in the early nineteen nineties, a very very good starting point for us, which has you know, quintessential elements of the air called car but but but brought into the new era with excellent power, steering and abs, breaks and all sorts of things that make it a little bit more contemporary. A great starting point for us to to to.
Speaker 4: To reimagine it as an earlier car.
Speaker 5: Perhaps is the car and its most purest, most beautiful, some might argue state, as you know from from back in the early seventies and late sixties, and you know that that was the idea to to in two thousand and nine, to prevent to present certainly my vision of a.
Speaker 4: Perfect Porsche Air called Portion ninety.
Speaker 5: Eleven, not just in in its in its esthetics, but also in it's the way it performed, with every detail being chased and optimized.
Speaker 4: And and and improved.
Speaker 5: Where necessary and left well alone when we didn't when we couldn't improve it. So so for Louisviton to come along and you know, talk to us about imprinting their sensibilities onto, onto, onto this icon of cars. Overused word, it's an overused word, is icon. But the nine eleven certainly deserves. The description is pretty amazing, you know. I mean, we're we're the Singer sat there in the middle with two towering powerhouses of style and industry and success from the last one hundred years, Portie and Louis Vito, and we're the odd little company in California that's kind of brought these two things clashing together.
Speaker 1: Can I ask, and I mean this in the most genuine way, why did Louis Vitan want to work with Singer? Why? I mean there are other others out there. What appealed about Singer for this collapse?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, we spent seventeen years trying to present the idea that changing something that is sacred to many is and putting a third party touch on it can be legitimate, and it can be authentic, and it can be sincere, and it can be fantastic, it can be magnificent. And that's that was always my vision for for want of a better term, when I started in that you can get under the skin of something that's dearly beloved by many people and and attempt to represent it in a way which which is as I say, sincere and authentic to to the to the original, but benefits from the from from from hindsight and new materials and modern perspectives and everything else. And could can you touch something that's genuinely iconic and classic and old and and bring it into the new world in a in a way which is believable And and and and I think I'm done with finesse, done with ridiculous amounts of attention to detail, done with you know, spectacular levels of ambition and hopefully execution success. And I think this is what Louis This is a long winded way of saying, this is what Louis Vito have noticed. And I think this is why they came to see us, because they appreciated that. And I think they saw something of themselves in that, as we see something of ourselves in Louis Viton as well. So it's and we got to know them, we established some trust, and you know, the creative collaboration was quite a thing of joy really, because we're working obviously, we work with clients on our cars that some have more of a specific vision of what they want than others. We hold the hands of our clients sometimes more than other clients.
Speaker 4: Louis Eton came in with.
Speaker 5: A pretty powerful sense of what they stand for and what as you can imagine that they're a brand that knowed themselves extremely well, but they hadn't that this was the first time they had imprinted their sensibilities on a car.
Speaker 4: And of course we were the people.
Speaker 5: Chose to to to orchestrate that through through the lens of some of the techniques I just mentioned, and that was of course very we're very proud of that. It's quite humbling that such a such an organized organization would would notice this. And you know, the the the creative collaboration was was was was a was a thing of of great joy. We learned a lot from it and we've certainly benefited hugely from watching this amazing operation work over in Paris. Yeah, it's been quite the journey.
Speaker 1: That it took a year to develop the time piece alone. The time piece is you can take it out of the dash right and and it's be its own.
Speaker 6: Actually, all the gauges, all the gauges are removable. No, no, just the clock is removable and you can kind of stick it on your you know, there's like a desk mount. But all of the gauges were developed, uh by them, and it took.
Speaker 1: It took over a year simply.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, well there's a lot so what you know, just rewinding a minute to what, you know, why would they want to do this with us, you know, having we spend a lot of time in Paris at their places and and sort of kind of hanging out. We did we did that, actually make make friends with the with with that group. They really they really are a creative company almost I don't want to say artists led, you know, administratively artists led, but they let their artists. Really they take risks. They allow their creative team to take risks, you know, for a season or for the products or whatever, and if you know, if it's a miss, it's a miss. But they really are quite committed that they're a very creative business. They're not just they're not some you know, just giant company churning out stuff that you know, just they really aren't there there, which I think maybe if you aren't on, you know, you don't get to go you know, backstage, you don't really know that. So that that's how they do a lot of things. It was pretty mind blowing to see kind of how they function, how they operate, and how much really uh you know, uh uh. They they sort of hold their artists, you know, at a very high level, and so that was something, you know that we give them an opportunity to some degree to really go into detail. I don't know that it would be that easy to do kind of with other folks. We we have, you know, if we're known for anything, it might be we have a little O, C. D or or or something like that, you know here here at Singer And I think that that's a that's a there's a door open to going really really into the details. There's a there's a There's this other thing though, which is not obvious in the outside about Louis Vuitton is they have a line of products across all of their product lines, which is really vast.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 6: There's bags, there's you know, sort of purses, there's travel, there's makeup, there's perfume, and there's watches that they have a line of things that aren't necessarily publicly available that are so incredible, so exquisitely done, the details down to the millimeter on some of this stuff. Obviously, there's a cost that goes with it. These aren't things that you just walk into a store and find their sort of invitation only and they are invitation only, and we were able to see a lot of that stuff. And it is it is very much how we think at Singer that when you're you're talking about, you know, putting on a you know, working through a giant magnifying glass on tiny tiny details that are pretty hard to see unless you know, you know they're there, right, They live in that world. They have lived in that world for a very long time. I think it started back with their trunk making, which is how the play started, where they are really into these very very intricate, handmade details. And it's something that we could they've seen that we've done other places. I don't not to give us any credit, but I don't see it. We don't see a ton of that at other you know, sort of other outfits. And and that was that that was almost easy for us. We were all very excited to get into those details. So isn't just the clocks, it's the entire thing, knows to tail. It started with the clocks, and when you're you know, in the watchmaking business, I mean they work in very very extravagant, tiny tiny detail. Obviously we did that nose to tail on two cars, which was you know, fascinating, very difficult in some cases a lot of like rejecting parts and uh you know, finding suppliers very specialists to dive into something that was you know, quite quite difficult. Our level of quality requirements that seeing our make our we make our lives quite difficult as it is, and that of our any suppliers that we have. But this was this was a giant step further in a lot of cases, mats.
Speaker 3: Can you uh so this is an audio only podcast, right, people listening can't see, but can you describe some of the more interesting details about maybe the clock, the gauges, anything else in these cars that I'm sure people are going to go on the web and look at the pictures, right, but what what was the most interesting to you that you can kind of illustrate for us.
Speaker 6: So the so imagine, so a watch, a you know whatever, A nice watch is a very small thing, like it's you know, size of a quarter on your wrist. And in those watches they fit so much detail in fine watchmaking, and it's really microscopic, and they when they manufacture them, they you know, the guys that put them together use these giant magnifying glasses to do this. So the gauges are you know, like built like that, but they're large, large format, so they're exploded large format things. So every number, every little you know, indices, they're all applied. You know, they're all physical items. They're not printed or you know, screen printed or whatever, or certainly a digital gauge or anything along those lines is totally the opposite. So you're looking at you know, five, it feels like five watch faces right just in sort of large format, and even the bezels around there. So the entire thing was done that way. Even we have, you know, in a nine to eleven. They're these you know door lock pulls, the little you know, pencil thickness thing that sticks up out of the door that has tiny engravings of the L v uh that say lv on them, which you can't tell if you're looking from a distance. You need to actually, you know, put glasses on them result as I am, I need them. But you know, the whole car has that these these tiny, tiny, intricate details across the entire thing. There's some bigger, bigger ones this the the window and door, windscreen and rear window seals on the nine sixty four are Porsche Porsche parts that we buy. They're they're black, and they hold all these windows in. They're actually seals are a really complicated item that people maybe don't know that, but they tend to be extremely complex, uh, you know, seals and and gaskets that hold windows in. We had to redesign and retool all of them to make one set in blue, and that it was. It was unbelievably complex.
Speaker 5: Every every every piece of rubber on the car, Guys is in Louis Viton blue, and I mean every every piece, so that it's not you can't you can't well, you can't paint rubber, but it's it's it's rather tricky. So a lot of it had to be literally retooled, working with a supplier who spent three months trying to match the blue perfectly.
Speaker 1: And then that horrible at the same time, and.
Speaker 5: Then the pass came back and they weren't quite right, so we went and did it again, and then we did it again, and so so so the Classic that was the first car we did. Every single piece of rubber you can see on the car is in Louis Viton blue.
Speaker 4: And you know these kind of.
Speaker 5: We These were big, swaggering, audacious decisions that we kind of made together but were certainly led by by by the Louis Viton team, and we just said, you know, well why not. I mean, this is, you know, these cars are unlike anything we've done before. They are they are art pieces in the truest sense of the word. They're not practical, but they they evoke a ci and and you know, the the Savoir Fair, as as as the as the design houses in Italy and Wels in France, um and and and and and maybe that's what luxury is. Something that's that's that could be seen by many to be utterly useless, but of course it's not useless. It's incredibly fabulous to to to to to display this level of of of of vision and and you know, romanticizing this sense of travel and adventure in in a way which is which is so extreme but so on point why you know, I was there was a certain amount of of head scratching for me as to whether this was something that was appropriate for us, but I soon got over it and the sense that this is this is just like another client of ours, you know, visioning their perfect ninety eleven through their lens with the help of us. And and this is this, this is how we've all viewed, viewed this wonderful relationship with the VITA as being another client that just happens to have this this towering vision.
Speaker 3: What they do hang on if they went that far, if they went that far for the rubber, seals and gaskets, what about the leather and the carpet and the gear they.
Speaker 4: Didn't care about that hand.
Speaker 5: Now, as you can imagine everything else. If the rubbers seen as being that important, you can only guess how important the leather is. And and the type of aluminium or the type of stainless steel, or the type of silver silver rodium plating. All the all the bright wear on the on the classic is is plaited in silver rodium, which is this exquisite silver color which has this this wonderful kind of texture almost kind of you know, mute mute, muted, muted machine to it. And of course getting a consistent finish on all the metal parts. Asked me if that was easy, and I'll tell you it. I'll tell you that that it wasn't.
Speaker 6: So if you sit at nine to eleven and you have sorry rubbed and all the events. We had to completely re engineer all of them, which are flexible normally, and that's how they function, that's how event will hold its its position at you. We had to remake them in metal to play them. And what Rob was just talking about, so that it was every single There was bree thousand new components in each of the cars, and many of them had to be remade in a completely different material from what they were originally.
Speaker 5: I often and found found myself when we started to seventeen years ago, I often found myself using the word indulgent in what we were doing in the in the indulgence suggests a certain amount of unnecessariness, but for me it wasn't unnecessary at all. It's absolutely essential. Now when lous Etho walked through the door, they just took that to the next level plus ten and in in in indulgence in that these things don't need to be like this, with the with the with the tortuous path to a spectacular part. But we can do it because we're capable of doing it, and we want to do it, and and and and the result is something that's you know, unique and hasn't been seen before and will challenge.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there'll be that.
Speaker 5: There'll be some some head scratching and some joy and some and some some divisiveness with with with these cars, but of course that's that's what makes it fun. And and you know, for Louisvison to push out to be more indulge in that we think than we think we already have been in the celebrating the portion ninety eleven is quite something and I think it's I think it's utterly appropriate, and I think the portion ninety eleven, which we've been celebrating now for nearly twenty years, deserves such such attention from one of the world's pre eminent creative luxury houses.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're, you know, you're you're kind of describing Louis Vuton as the client here. What is the future of this car? Is this car going to be sold? Is it was it made for a person? Or is Louis Viton the ultimate client? And also will you make more of them? And also what is the general price tag of something like this?
Speaker 6: Well, that's stuff, that's stuff we don't discuss like we.
Speaker 1: Would talk about it here. Actually, no one listens to this podcast, so this is a safe space.
Speaker 6: It's well, just to be just to be clear, we don't talk about that for any but.
Speaker 1: This car is sold. This car, this car is already sold to somebody.
Speaker 6: It's like it's a it's uh, these are these these are the agreements we have on any of our you know, cars we do with anyone that we we never we never discussed ownership price, any of that with anyone paid or where they're going, which we don't necessarily know. There's no there's no plans to do uh, you know, further cars with them, but we would totally do it. I mean we we It is a fascinating, very very fascinating, fascinating thing, and we are totally humbled by it. I mean we you know, we feel quite privileged, I think to have have done this.
Speaker 1: Have you spent the most time on these two cars of any of your creations? I mean, when you're talking about re redoing everything, are these the most most people hours that you've put into any car?
Speaker 6: So there's well, there's a well, we put.
Speaker 5: Six we put six years into into the Dynamic Light Waiting Study d LS with with with Williams. So perhaps perhaps that Trump's it, but certainly in an intensive period hand. I mean we we've worked on both of these cars over two years, master two and a half years.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 5: The intensity and the and the content of them as opposed to our other regular our regular work, if you can call it that, it was was was was through the roof.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure, there's.
Speaker 6: A product development you know cycle that we have. We're engineering, you know, sort of the next thing that a custom wance when you're you know, approaching really complex things like you know an you know, like redeveloping an engine or transmission or any of that. Those yeah, those take years. Those are obviously quite detailed. But in terms of you know, one of the existing sort of styles of commissions that we do, yeah, this was this was way beyond what what what what I think any anyone else had done. Just to be clear, we wouldn't just do that if anyone asked. We had to think long and hard about this because we knew the size of the mission. But it was because of you know, working with these folks that have, like I said, all this history. It was such a sort of such a privilege, right well, but normally if someone wanted to do this much stuff and distract distract us for years, we we wouldn't we would decline.
Speaker 1: Well, that is that's part of like a bigger philis offical question that I've really thought about for you guys, which is considering where you started to now where I think you have over seven hundred employees, you're doing these major collaborations with the biggest luxury brands in the world. How has it been adapting just for you guys in your daily life and your daily psychology. How has it been adapting from you guys were like the upstart underdog in a way, and now you're you are really this is big, big stuff on a big level with public companies. How has that been for you?
Speaker 6: Rob has the answer to that, because it's puzzling.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, yeah, I mean we don't really like to be reminded of it, but thank you for we kind we kind of bury our head in the sand and we kind of get we kind of get British so brittily. I don't know where the weather perhaps again, I know we're here to talk about these fabulous movies on cars, but we have just returned from England where we were we were celebra we were somewhat celebrated to a ridiculous level.
Speaker 4: At the Goodwood Festival.
Speaker 5: At the Goodwood Festival of Speed, you know, our cars were on this amazing sculpture in front of the Goodwood House and there were fireworks and there was loud music and everything else. And I think, I think, I think Mas and I much to the surprise of all the people around us who work for us, although seven hundred people who work with with us somewhat nonplussed or confounded, that we deal with it apparently such a it's such a non excited, non excited way. We are extremely excited about it. I think, I think, you know, it's amazing. I think we have a valve that allows us to kind of cope with it, you know, to to to be center of attention to that degree in England last week or whenever it was a few weeks ago, it was just ridiculous. But it's like, you know, and the next day we wake up and we're not even thinking about it. We're worrying about the next problem. And we're not very good at victory lapse, and and so so and the and the Louis Etal thing is the same thing. It's it's just like this is our journey. As as I'm proud to say, there was no fucking plan for this company whatsoever. When I started it. It was like, this is a this is a really good idea. I think my vision of what the best portion ninety eleven should be will be loved by everybody else. That was the stupidity and the faith that this company was launched on, and everything else, from the people, to the cars, to the plaudits, to the Louis Vitos, to the Goodwoods, to everything else, have just has just come along. And it's all without wanting to appear appear arrogant, which we are not. We are very humble. It just it's just like, well, of course, yeah, all right, that's all right, Yeah, that makes sense. Next, yeah, that makes sense next. And it's all based on this sturdy foundation, guys, of of relentless quality, which we have tried to implement from day one when we were making one car year to whatever we are now, when we're obviously making many more cars than.
Speaker 4: That a year, and this ruthless.
Speaker 5: Sense that quality is all, quality is everything, and quality isn't just in the execution of the work we do, but in the design and the philosophy and everything. And I think from such ridiculously audacious and ambitious, foundational, uh building blocks. These good things just happen around you. Surround yourself with good people, You try and do good work. You don't have an end, a death the nation in mind for what success will look like. I don't know whether we're successful. I guess we're successful to a degree in someone's terms, because of everything we've just talked about. But we don't really see it like that, and we don't really see it as being as being oh no, now we've made it, or you know, now we're important and everything else. It was never the point we are. This is art for me. I mean I started as a as a you know, as a musical artist, and for me, this is art. And for me, the biggest thing I'm proud of is protecting that as a As the company has got bigger and bigger, and you know, our works has has has become more in demand, but you protect the thing that's important, right And as I think as we get older, we do recognize the indelible facts of who we are and what we do and what why what we do resonates with certain folks and I think I think that's what Lousviton has spotted and then, and it's also the safety valve that lets us not get get to get us over our skis. In terms of something you know, the notion that you were you were asking us about at the beginning of your question, Hannah, it is.
Speaker 4: It is a big deal.
Speaker 5: What's going on at the moment, but we we we deal with it in a very English Arabian way.
Speaker 3: I want to ask about Mass because you are clearly passionate, relentless, ruthless, audacious. You're chasing not only quality, but you know unique, you know, superb like the the absolute best of what you can achieve, what we can achieve as a as a human race, right in terms of art and industry.
Speaker 4: I'm with saving lives as well.
Speaker 3: Fantastic, But you brought in Mass like I don't know what, like fifteen years ago or so now to be able to make.
Speaker 5: Brought I didn't bring mave math kind of Mass kind of decided that he was going to write.
Speaker 3: But if you continue that kind of ruthless, relentless chase, it could end in tears. And what we hope is that this is a sustainable, right, Can you can you keep this thing going mad?
Speaker 6: I mean, or we are not running out of steam in any in any way. But I mean Rob was in a band forever. I don't play any music, but I do imagine Rob you can correct me, is it? If this must be? What like being in a band is when you're really focused on the music, you have to then do all this work to to to to uh record it and get it out in the world. There's all this sort of the work part of being in a you know, being in the music business. But there's this music part, which I imagine there's a love there, right, you're doing stuff that you love. I think there's a lot of music in the world that sucks, but I bet the artists really love it, right, the people that are making it that they're sort of poorting themselves out into these things, they probably love it. It just doesn't maybe resonate with a lot of people. What I've found, I think with Rob, is that we make music, it turns out people like it. Like it's not like we have some team of marketing there's a floor of marketing people that are going figuring out how many units of things we can sell, and we're going to go make those units. We don't have great fucking idea, like we just know what we want, I imagine like maybe making music, and it seems to really really resonate. And that's not something that was designed or business planned or anything. It's just sort of occurred and it continues to occur. There is an element that is a sort of towering importance which I think you guys can understand, is we've been able to hire and surround ourselves with people who are so passionate there. They're so passionate about what we do. Our employees, our team, our teammates, uh, you know, people that seem to really like cars, really like like their whole you know, it's part of their lives, right. I mean it certainly is for me and Rob, but we're not alone, you know. And so we managed to have in our buildings people who are super passionate about we're doing and really talented. So that's the sort of wave that we ride to be able to get anything done. Are are the people that are here in our buildings doing this work at this level. It's not so much we have to force them into it. And you know, we're sort of walking around as OCD tyrants. It's like part of the thing here. Everyone understands that, you know, we're working at this level and they really like it. You know, there's a ton of evidence. There's a lot of folks in the world who have spent so much time forocusing on these things and as you would on a piece of art, not on Okay, there's people that are racing cars and they're trying to set lap times and all that stuff that it can be very mechanical. But there's people like magnets, right, they are like really extracting the soul of these things, right, And that's that's the thing that we that's kind of the world we live in. And like I said, you know, it's uh, it's just keep it's just keep going. And it's not like I said, this was not this was not planned. We have to make some difficult decisions and we have to be responsible. We have a lot of people, that's a lot of families. You know, it's not just you know how many employees to have, it's actually everybody. You know a lot of the employees have children and all. You have to really be a responsible business to your your people, right, it's a yes, that's a that's a that's that's it's not just Rob and I playing with our toys. You know, we get to do that, but there's this whole other part now. In order for us to play with our toys, we have to be sort of, you know, good citizens and take.
Speaker 3: Wait, Matts, has Rob made you a singer?
Speaker 6: Have you made you a singer? We we kind of, we don't. We just don't.
Speaker 2: You're not talking about it.
Speaker 6: No, No, isn't there a it's just saying about a shoemaker's something or other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Coppler's children have no shoes something.
Speaker 4: If we could, if.
Speaker 6: We could stop and like build cars for ourselves. I mean it's hard enough when we go to a you know, we have an event coming up and we're going to put a car on display. I mean, picking a color is like months of toil. And you know what Rob does in the studio, He's got you know, whatever, if it's going to be blue, he's got ninety eight blues there that I can't tell the difference between. Right, So we haven't all the fundamentally the cars behave for us. We really are drivers like you, right, Like the Liuviton thing is incredible. It's we're a little out of our depth in terms of, you know that approach. But how the cars drive how they sound, how they're constructed, with what materials and what suppliers, with what expertise is really something really core. So I.
Speaker 1: Have a question about that that makes me think you mentioned track earlier, and I know you guys are involved with the sort of reimagining of Willow Springs, but I also know Singer sort of famously doesn't do benchmark track times, that doesn't really do performance figures, or hasn't in the past. Now that you are part of a track, does this mean and I know you were talking about making beautiful objects, but now that you're part of a track, does this mean in the future you will be doing more performance benchmarks racing? Even will there be a Singer race team? I mean, race teams are very cool right now?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we look, we are passionate about motorsport, and I race a couple of things. And obviously you're focused on lap times and all that kind of stuff. But the things that we do when we take these old nine elevens apart and put them back together them and there are road cars, and to us, what a car does at you know, forty miles an hour as important or even when it's parked is as important as it is at one hundred and forty miles an hour. We don't care about the lap time with those things. And you know, it's a weird sort of arms race that I feel like no one will ever win because they just get more, you know, they get faster and more amazing, and there's engineering endeavors to make things go around, you know, in circles quickly. Is fun to watch, but that's not it's not really our thing, right We're it really isn't the circuit. For us, Willow Springs is about sort of the joy of driving. It's not about so much we're going to go racing, right, It's about being able to go out to this. You know, it's kind of an alien landscape, right, The desert is always so very different experience, and to go and connect with a car, you know, in an environment like that is absolutely it's kind of life altering, I mean, is very very cool. And that's the thing for us, It really is about sort of the joy of driving. You know, we do like racing, but that's not the point of Willow Springs at all. You know, having access to a track that's an hour and ten minutes from my house anyway closer to Rob's is a fantasy. I mean, it's crazy. I can't believe it. Like I'm absolutely stunned. And I've been there nine hundred times since and it will take years to develop. But the idea that we're a part of that, certainly for Southern Californa to have, I mean it's a little puzzling. So La Orange County, San Diego, it's like twenty three million people, probably the biggest I have nothing to prove this, but biggest car culture in the world is I could guess, and if I'm wrong, it's not by much. It doesn't have a race track and it doesn't have a place where you can have an annual event. Imagine an annual historic race or an annual you know, a festival speed style thing like that's just not I don't know.
Speaker 1: The thermal is a different thing. Thermal thermal does meet a need, but it's a it's a different thing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a different it's it's a it's you know, it's exclusive, it's private.
Speaker 1: It's not historic. It's new ish.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's new. It's also are for what it's worth. You can't really go there for the day. I mean you can, but that's a strategy, but it's not for everybody. I'm talking about a place where you know, you know, Portia Club folks can go meet or Mustang Club folks and go and do some driving and kind of hang out and then go back home. I mean it's you know, it's an hour hour and a half away. It's always puzzled me that there isn't you know, if you'd think if there is demand anywhere in the world, it's here and it's an La Metro. So the idea that we can be part of reviving that and then future events, like I said, imagine a fabulous historic race which I think you may or may not have seen any announcement coming. Yeah, yeah, that was we So Goodwin's part of our history for sure. We've been doing that for Rob I don't remember twenty fifteen or twenty fourteen. We've become very close to the family there, and that's that's how a lot of the conversation happens. So it'll take time. It'll take some years, and that's really kind of what we're all about. We're not it's not like we're going to go on and keep doing you know, luxury brand partnerships. This was hopefully it continues. We'll see it's kind of a once in a once in a lifetime thing for us. But we really are you know drivers. We will have some stuff that is more you know, inspired by having access to a track, but yeah, we're not. It's not gonna sing a race team at least anytime soon that we know, but you never know.
Speaker 3: Well, there doesn't really have to be right. I mean, you're involved also with Tom Wagner and Nighthead and they have other racing ventures. It's like a whole I'm starting to see like the whole master plan or the empire kind of come together and it's so genius robbed. Isn't it like mind blowing that this is all.
Speaker 4: Turning into Well, it may look like some kind of master plan.
Speaker 2: It looks like a Disney style empire.
Speaker 5: Like you know, I'm sure you I can assure you there is no master plan. It just like these these opportunities fall into our lap. As I've said, because I think of the work, you know, because how we are and none of this was planned, guys, absolutely, none of it just comes along. And we didn't go to leave Vitel and said do you want to do a car? They came to us. Willow Springs just was there as this obvious opportunity, and we had the ability because of the friends and the people that we know, to participate in it, in saving the bloody place. To be honest with you, it's one of the first places I went to in two thousand and three when I started building my own car, which became the genesis of Singer.
Speaker 4: I was at Willow Springs.
Speaker 5: Once a month, twice a month at track day, isn't it, and just hanging out there, And it was a pivotal part of the of the of my love affair with the California car culture, which is absolutely where Singer, why Singer exists. Singer would never have existed ef I hadn't moved to Los Angeles and California. You know, this sense that anything is possible in this town. Stupid though, that notion is. And there's the reason that everyone you know comes to Los Angeles to try and fulfill their dreams is because it encourages it. And you're allowed to dream here and the sun's out every day, and you know, you get out of bed and life is there as a fabulous possibility. And this this is what's driven us and and and these opportunities have come to us, and it looks like we're building some kind of well well planned empire.
Speaker 4: We're not. And I don't know where it's going to end.
Speaker 5: I do know that, as Mas alluded to, I'm sixty one, there's going to be a limit to my energy and my ability to want to prove this stat and the other We have a lot of work to get to get through, and I'm just thinking about the stuff, the particular cars and the cops. Of course, in my world is all about the cars. There is just a lot of cars that I need to get through in the next ten years before I either die or want to retire, to retire or maybe go back to music or anything. And so it is a it is a I hate this word relentless. We use it a lot, but it's a relentless pace and and but it's because it's driven by stuff that I want to get out of my head and and either you know, onto onto the road. And that's and that's the only marketing that we do is like do we want it on our driveway? And the Louis to bring it back to the Louis. Eto thing is that this this was We're out of our comfort zone to a degree here, but working with a you know, a creative empire which knows its ship and and as as and as has picked us to to to present a vision of their ship through through through the portion ninet eleven and and and you don't say no to that. You you you take it on and you learn from it, and you you're going to we're going to challenge some people with it, and we're going to move on and get on with the day job as well. It's it's I'm a lucky, lucky boy. I am blessed. I am surrounded by wonderful people that humor me and allow me to allow me to dream. I think I speak for mass as well in that sense. And we just put our heads down and we get on with it. So the size of whatever we're becoming, I try not to think about it because it becomes a.
Speaker 4: Bit scary if we do that. And everything else.
Speaker 5: So I'm good at I'm getting increasingly good at delegating, increasingly good at understanding what I'm good at and what I'm lousy and terrible at. And I get out of the way and let other people do that. And I try and nurture and protect this little bubble of creativity at the design studio where we come up with the new stuff, and that's where I'm going.
Speaker 1: If you guys are a band, I'd be careful using the word retire, because I'm pretty sure the Stones are still touring, and.
Speaker 4: You know, I don't think I'll ever retire. I hope I never do.
Speaker 5: I hope I get out of bed wanting to create stuff because that's the biggest joy in the world, whether it's music or whether it's cars. For me, there these have been my two passions of a lifetime. And I've been lucky enough to be able to surround myself with people that are prepared to support me and and and putting my stuff out And I, as I say, that is not lost on me. The blessing of being able to do that quite however that or how it's dropped into my lap, I don't know. I don't want to think about that too much. But it's amazing. We employ a lot of people, which is amazing, and we do beautiful stuff, which is amazing, and people want to buy it, which is amazing, and I appreciate it all.
Speaker 4: None of it is boring.
Speaker 1: Very lucky to have, Yeah, thank you, congrats on the cars. That's really aod try.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Thank you so much, guys, and thanks for noticing and supporting us.
Speaker 4: It's brilliant.
Speaker 3: So that was Rob and Maz talking about the Louis Vuitton car that's gotten so much backlash on the internet. I feel I can't wait to see them in person. And I still have a ton of respect for Singer and and would give my right arm to drive one on a regular basis, but because I'm left handed. But having having discussed that and be done with it, let's talk about what you're still doing at Monterey, because you're about to drive the Audi Nouvalaure.
Speaker 1: Yes right, neu Valari. Yes, yes, this is the hybrid sports car that Audi debuted earlier this summer. And I've stayed in an extra day in order to be able to drive this to talk to mister Doner, the Audi executive, about the decision to make this hybrid car and what it means for Audi and help how it can help the brand move forward. So yeah, that I'm excited. I'm going to go drive it up in the hills sort of outside Monterey in a few hours.
Speaker 2: I mean, are they making a hybrid car.
Speaker 3: Are they just putting sheet metal over a Lamborghini Temorio.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's common knowledge that it does share the platform with the Lamborghini of course. Yes.
Speaker 3: By the way, what what was the purple Lambeau that I saw you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Man, that's the Rivelto. This is the Lamborghinia River. I mean, this is the one we've talked about. This is the one I famuously got the ticket in this year. They were able to get me inside a purple one. The purple ones I think faster than the black one, pretty sure.
Speaker 3: And I mean it's way better looking. It's absolutely beautiful. It's like a lilac purple. What a cool supercar color.
Speaker 1: I have to say driving that thing. I drove it quite a bit on Saturday and then took it out this morning for some photos. That car. I've never been in a in a jet point. I mean, I've never flown, you know, in a jet jet. But it's what I would imagine being in a fighter jet feels like. And when you're in that thing and you're just passing every other Porsche things on the road, it just feels like it's in its own complete universe. It's really it's it's really big and it just it's a whole different animal.
Speaker 3: What a is the ballpark price tag on that rivelto the purple one?
Speaker 1: Right? Well, actually I did see the MSRP for the purple one, but the ravelto itself is around six hundred thousand worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely worth it.
Speaker 3: By the way, when you when you pull up that little red ignition guard to go weapons hot and push the button, does it make a noise?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes it does because at this well at least this morning, it did because the electric battery hadn't been recharged. And the funny thing is we went to Carmel, we had breakfast, We took the car. Where we're getting into the car and these two adorable older ladies say leaving, like hopefully are you leaving town? Like get out of here in your pace. They were so sweet though, and so we were chatting with them and they did really actually love the car. They didn't know what it was, but they were very entranced by the purple And when we pulled away, I did lean out the window and I said, just be careful because it's going to be really loud. And then they were taught to aloud. It was just turning it on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that it should be.
Speaker 1: I know, I agree.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, have a fantastic time. Give my best to garn out donor that does.
Speaker 1: It for this week's show. Remember to follow and subscribe to Hot Pursuit on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you listen. You can also send us your comments email us at hot Pursuit at Bloomberg dot net. And I also want to say thank you to everybody who came up and said hello this weekend. Thank you to those who said you actually listened to our podcast and who asked where Matt was. We hear you, and we appreciate all the feedback.
Speaker 3: And check out Hannah's columns and stories if you don't already on Bloomberg dot com and on the Bloomberg Business app, go there for car reviews, events and stories you won't find anywhere else. Find it all at Bloomberg dot com, splash Pursuit, slash Autos.
Speaker 2: I'm Matt Miller and
Speaker 1: I'm Hannah Elliott will be back in your podcast feed again next week