Speaker 1: Good Morning Football is the production of the NFL in partnership with iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning Football.
Speaker 3: That's right, this is GMFB. Welcome inside March tenth. It is the start to the beginning, although feels very ut official since yesterday was ridiculous of a two day negotiating period for prospective unrestricted free agents. I'm Damiertal, Peter Schrager, Kyle Branton, New York City, and today we are happy to be joined by a former NFL safety Brock.
Speaker 2: But Reen, what a brock.
Speaker 4: You guys do not sleep much around here, but I'm having a Blastart.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, well you you are on a Sunday morning CBS Sports Network show tops that you don't sleep anyways on Sundays in the season. Peter, we got so many new fun people at the table this offseason. Again, take us into the Brock forrene experience, if you will. What you remember of him when he was coming out and whatnot?
Speaker 5: Give us the yeah out of all.
Speaker 6: I want to say Minnesota, but a California kid, which I always interesting. California kid goes to the University of Minnesota, great college career, fourth round pick. I want to say Bears, but then you went around the league a little bit. But Brock, what I also know about you? Super fast player, and you also have a brother, Shane Buren, let's go, who played at Call and of course the Patriots. So you guys, the Veren brothers, they were always very relevant in the NFL with Jee.
Speaker 7: He is everything that they say.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there is no sneaking anything, Miss God.
Speaker 3: That is mister Brock Green. All right, we're going to rely on him as well as our Insiders today because it's that kind of day. Ian Rappacortz, I figure in your mind you were dunking on a lot of people yesterday.
Speaker 7: It was a busy Sunday.
Speaker 3: There's a couple of wide receiver moves that we have to check in on. But first we start with the MVP from last year.
Speaker 8: The reigning MVP, Josh Allen got paid big time by the Buffalo Bills last night.
Speaker 9: It was a wild, wild last night.
Speaker 8: We were live on the Insiders for two hours just to capture all of it.
Speaker 5: But let's start right there.
Speaker 8: Josh Allen for years has been I would say on a contract. It probably didn't properly commentate the kind of play that he has put on the field.
Speaker 9: Now he has when he gets a six year, thirty three.
Speaker 8: Million dollar deal fifty five million dollars per year, making him the second highest paid quarterback in the NFL, behind Dak Prescott.
Speaker 9: Usually you see quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: Get extensions, you just tacked on a couple of years at money. This was more of a complete tear up, just a new deal for Josh Allen gets a wopping two hundred and fifty million dollars guaranteed locked in for years to come in Buffalo. They've taken care of a lot of their guys during this period. We also saw a wide receiver trade. DK Metcalf according to me and colleague Tom Pelisera is headed to the Pittsburgh Steelers for the price of a twenty twenty five second round pick. This has been going on for some days ever since TK metscapra questioned a trade from the Seahawks. They send him to pay Witsburg. We'll see who his quarterback ends up being. But they finally land their big time, big play receiver they have been seeking for quite some time. He gets a new contract five years, one hundred and fifty million dollars. Now becomes a thirty million per year receiver. Huge deal for these Steelers there and then another receiver deal, not a trade this time.
Speaker 9: But a free agent signing.
Speaker 8: Sources say Davonte Adams, the former Hackers, Great Greaiders, Great Jets, great now lands with the Los Angeles Rams, gets a two year, forty six million dollar contract, twenty six million dollars guaranteed.
Speaker 9: He had wanted to be on the West coast.
Speaker 8: I know everyone talked about him playing with Rogers, who really wanted to be on.
Speaker 9: The West coast and never been a free agent. Now he is, and he chooses the rest.
Speaker 3: Wow, it's hard to figure Devontae Adams never been a free agent all those stops along the way. And to your point, now with the future with Kukuanakua in the wide receiver room for the Rams, they have Davonte Adams as well. Ian Rappaford, Thank you so much, Peter. Let's start with the first on that list that he started with, at least in the wide receiver group, and DK metcalf a lot of speculation as to where he was going to go, how much he was going to be worth to his future employer, And now we know it's Pittsburgh and we know the deal terms.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thirty million dollars, which is a lot of money for DK Metcalf to be making congratulations to him. He gets traded and he goes to a place that's perennially in the playoffs. I am fascinated at two questions. One, who is the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Throwing him the ball?
Speaker 6: We should find that out hopefully later today or tomorrow. And two is George Pickens in that wide receivers room as well? Because those are two fiery personalities and right now they are at Arthur Smith and Zach Aziani. Who's the wide receivers coach might be having to massage some egos and making sure that these guys.
Speaker 5: Both get the ball? But gosh, who is the quarterback?
Speaker 6: And I go through it with Pittsburgh right now, because I said that was the most burning question in my mind last week, what we were talking about heading into the offseason, which team are you most fascinating? I said, The Steelers have been trying to get a wide receiver won for many years. They went after Brandon Ayuk, they couldn't get them. They went after others in the last couple of years, they couldn't get them. They finally get DK Metcalf and the money. Look the salary cap. It was increased by a X amount of dollars.
Speaker 10: The money is.
Speaker 11: Almost funny money at this point.
Speaker 6: I can't compare it to previous years because it's gone up so much in the last couple of years, where this might just be the going rate for a star wide receiver. And once we see what Jamar Chase gets, it'll.
Speaker 5: Blow this out of the water. And what we see at T.
Speaker 11: Higgins gets by blow this out of the water.
Speaker 6: So I am fascinated to see because right now the way I see the dominoes.
Speaker 11: You've heard it, and I said it last week or two weeks ago.
Speaker 6: From the combine. Justin Fields is who Pittsburgh wants. However, Justin Field's going to have a market. So if Justin Fields does not come back to Pittsburgh, is Pittsburgh a sneaky place for Sam Donald?
Speaker 11: And is that Sam Donald throwing.
Speaker 6: DK metcalf passes And then I'll give you a third name and the ring almost like the Royal Rumble coming in here Rogers throwing a DK metcalf next year Like that is why as much as we took care of business over the weekend, there are still so many unanswered questions, and we have Aaron Rodgers throwing the George Pickens and DK Metcalf with Mike Tomlin on the sideline, like, sign me up. That's a really interesting team. A lot of personalities to navigate there, and a lot of egos to massage. But DK Metcalf's is Steeler. I just don't know who'ston on the ball yet.
Speaker 12: But is Aaron Rodgers going to enter the real rumble like the bushwhacker Peters right out right?
Speaker 10: If? Let's let's hope not. We already did that with the Jets. We don't want to go through that.
Speaker 12: First of all, demonte Adams to the Rams. I thought I could not love the Rams more than I already did, but I already do. I might just go crazy and just say I'm gonna pick the Rams Eagles in the title game this year.
Speaker 10: I just might do it now. I don't care.
Speaker 12: I love Devonte there and love Luking Bay, but don't run the DeVante video. No no, no, no no, because I want to focus on Pickens. Peter brought it up, and I like this name, Zach Azani.
Speaker 10: This is the wide receiver.
Speaker 12: Coach prayers up Zach and coach him up and burn some sage or burn whatever the hell you have to do to stay calm. Because we have George Pickens and DK Metcalf in this room playing the same position. Let's roll some of the videotape of George Pickens, who should we say, is an emotional player? Here go all right, So there's some great highlights of him making amazing acrobatic catches, and we've shown those.
Speaker 10: For years, and other shows could show them.
Speaker 12: This player that we're seeing here now, guys, has just been told that now you are not the number one wide receiver.
Speaker 10: You're this. I mean, come on the other the wide receiver is.
Speaker 12: Getting massive money on the other side of them. All different clips, folks, not one different clips in different years. Mike Tomlin one set of George Pickens. I'd rather say whoa than sick them, which means I'd rather them have the emotion. But he said that about Pickens in twenty twenty two. So now DK comes in and it's like, not only that George Pickens, Blaze and Gentlemens in the last year was contract, which means he's going to be playing for big money and needs numbers and touchdowns and receptions, and I'll add to the quarterback point of this. You're telling me that you brought in DK was great. And Pickens, who's incredible, the person that is running this offense and feeding them and keeping them happy. As Fields, guys, we've seen a lot of Justin Fields.
Speaker 10: He has a lot of strengths.
Speaker 12: I don't think throwing the ball all over the field to a wide receiver led offense post Naji Harris is one of those strengths.
Speaker 10: I don't see it at all.
Speaker 12: And if it's Justin Fields is the quarterback, You're gonna see a lot more clips like that.
Speaker 10: And we didn't even show you the DK one.
Speaker 12: Could it be that the Steelers are going after Darnold and are trying to set up a Vikings adjacent thing like Addison and Jefferson and like Sam Donald, you can't mess this up. Look at these great wide receivers. It is very hard to imagine that you bring in DK to play with the Pickens and Friarmuth and say, Justin Fields drive this car. That is not him, that is not the Steelers. I don't see it. Coach him up, Mike, and one more time, zach Azani with two z's and two ends and two.
Speaker 10: Guys in the room that, oh my god, you better get these.
Speaker 6: Zach runs the wide receivers drills of the combine.
Speaker 5: So he's on. He's seen them all.
Speaker 10: Come, I love you, Zach.
Speaker 5: Here's with the Jets before this, HEA's with the Bears.
Speaker 6: And our great producer Aman tells me he actually coached Antonio Brown in college.
Speaker 4: You've plenty of experience, got Brock, plenty of experience for Zach. Whatever higher power he believes it, may he be shrouded in love and patience because he will need enough of it. Look, if there's an opportunity to get Dk Metcalf on your team, you get DK Metcalf on your team. It's that simple. But him and George Pickens have the same skill set. So you look at Pittsburgh's offense last year and what they were diluted to by the end of the year. Run the ball, run the ball, throw up a fade along the sideline and see what happens.
Speaker 7: This doesn't really change that both.
Speaker 4: Pickens and Metcalf are at their best straight line guys with the ball high in the air. So yeah, this offense may be better, a better version of they were last year, but they're not different. And if we saw anything from Pittsburgh last year, they ran into a brick wall because they eventually became easy to figure out, they became predictable.
Speaker 7: I want to buy in, but I can't until I see.
Speaker 4: And also to the quarterback point, you're not just finding a quarterback now, you're finding a quarterback who needs to be able to deal with personalities. Not that there's a ton of options as far as veteran quarterbacks go right now, but now you're asking them to put a lot on their plate. Hey, our offense was in the rut last year. And also you need to deal with two major personalities that are liable to get tossed out of a game or tossed out of practice at.
Speaker 7: A moment's notice.
Speaker 4: That is a big ask for whoever you bring in.
Speaker 7: This offense is not going to look different.
Speaker 4: Maybe the quarterback situation, if they throw a curveball and find someone in there that we're not thinking about. Okay, But if you're Arthur Smith, you're sitting there thinking what am I supposed to do with this? I can just do more of the same, and that was not good enough a year ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have a free agent running back room that they have to address as well. But the Rogers Darnold situation and if they go to Pittsburgh, we will watch that all morning long. Peter, Let's go back to a name that was floated out there, and Kyle said, get that name off the screen. We're not ready to talk about him yet. It's DeVante Adams and the fact that in his desire to be back on the West Coast and play for a championship caliber team, it seems like he found that in the La Rams.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, I tweeted this out last night and I mean it's Devanta Adams is currently in Japan. He's in Japan. He's traveling in the Far East right now. So while this was all going on, Sean McVay was facetiming and calling him while he was in Japan sight seeing and going to Japan for the first time. So, Davante a free agent because of the way the Jets let this thing go and they said, okay, you're out, and.
Speaker 11: That means he could actually sign before.
Speaker 6: The free agency wave and McVeigh was in.
Speaker 11: Full recruitment mode. If you haven't seen it, it's something to behold.
Speaker 5: He's done it before in his career and.
Speaker 6: He did it when he activates like he's like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart and you name it Urban Meyer. When the Ohio State days all welled into one, Belichick, Bill Belichick not.
Speaker 7: This is it.
Speaker 6: So you know, Adams, this is another stop on the tour. But for the Rams, you know, Cooper Cup and Pooka Nakoor, but coming to kind of be the same type of wide receiver and that they're these big bodied, strong handed like Devontage's a totally different one. They signed to to at Well for a one year, ten million dollars deal. If you roll their eyes, it's like you want to just wait to see the numbers that are thrown out the next couple of days. To to at Well at ten million dollars is not gonna seem like it's gonna blow your hair back because the salary cap went crazy this last couple of weeks.
Speaker 11: So they have money to spend.
Speaker 6: So they have almost a starting five like a basketball team, and they have different heights and different roles. And you got your point guard in to two, and then you got your long range.
Speaker 10: Guy in Davonte, and then.
Speaker 6: You got your underneath guy and Tukah's like they've got different body types, different wide receiver skills.
Speaker 5: And McVeigh was.
Speaker 6: Full on recruiting a man in Japan all week and he got his guys. So pretty cool story about Sometimes it's a little different than just talking the GM talking to the agent. Sometimes the head coach going over to the Far East.
Speaker 12: I need the tapes of those calls, hey, Devonte Kunitchua Domo Arigato received the Yeah, sorry, man, I mean we need to get mcveigh's tape talking.
Speaker 5: Did you go out one of them cool subways?
Speaker 10: They're super clean.
Speaker 5: I think it's called a fast train.
Speaker 12: Yeah, it's an incredibly efficient to urban center there. We like, I knew the same thing here at so By Stadium.
Speaker 10: I would love to see that.
Speaker 12: I think DeVante is fascinating because his whole career, all right, so he plays with Rogers, loves Rogers. Then there's this whole thing where he's like, I want to go to the Raiders to play with my college buddy, Derek Carr. Derek Carr, Derek Car gets benched and Dante basically throws a fit so he can play with Rogers. And now is the first time he really hasn't handpicked an old buddy who he has history with. Stafford obviously up to the task and everything. But I want to see what this version of going on mid thirties DeVante Adams new quarterback is.
Speaker 10: I think it's all positive, you know.
Speaker 12: I'm like, I'm always super super polyann when it comes to the Rams, and they're almost always in the playoffs.
Speaker 10: I like this move. I like this one.
Speaker 12: I cried for Cooper Cup a little bit like he going and we'll see where he lands. But I don't see any reason why Devonte won't be really good there with Stafford.
Speaker 4: Well, let me establish this right now. I consider you guys friends. If I go to Japan, do not FaceTime me for any reason. Never FaceTime me if it's.
Speaker 5: Forty six million dollars.
Speaker 7: I think, come on, I'm in Japan.
Speaker 4: The Far East is about peace, It's about removing all of your possessions. Come on, get with the thinking. But I will say this excites me and Peter, you bring up how yeah, Davante and pook are kind of the same wide receiver. Juxtaposed that with Pittsburgh situation. The difference is Pooka and Devonte can run any route. They can make up routes They're creating new routes as we speak.
Speaker 7: And the Rams are hilarious.
Speaker 10: To me.
Speaker 7: They're the funniest team in the NFL.
Speaker 4: After every year, it's okay, this was fun a lot lasted. We need to rebuild, lick our wounds, and then by OTAs it's I think we want to win another Super Bowl. They are all in there, always all in. I don't know why they do this every year. Now with Davante Adams, I'm excited. I'm excited to see him in this wide receiver two role that is Pooka's wide receiver room. As far as I'm concerned that rapport with Stafford is there, however, Stafford and Davante will be right his reign immediately, and I'm excited. As a defense, you are panicking. As a safety, you are panicking. I do not know what route he is running. I do not know what route he is running. And both of them can line up anywhere. And this makes it easier for me decades from now when I'm arguing with my future kids about how Davante Adams was one of the mo influential wide receivers in the NFL and if he can get a Super Bowl ring at the La Rams. That makes my argument so much firmer. There is route running before DeVante Adams and there is route running after DeVante Adams. There is a palpable difference of his impact as a wide receiver and his legacy as a wide receiver. I'm excited to see him embrace this role. And Matt Stafford is somewhere smiling. Don't face Timmy when I'm in Japan.
Speaker 10: We will not.
Speaker 3: And also, that's a first time we know you're really, really in the love of the game when you are already crafting arguments to me, to your future children. We don't even have the kids in the rockery, and you are already saying this is what I will argue with them about.
Speaker 2: It's perfect.
Speaker 3: It's what free agency frenzy is all about. Kyle, you said we were going to take this to a ten? Are we at a ten with free agency frenzy already?
Speaker 12: Peter, I predicted the Super Bowl is going to be a terrible game. We would I also predicted the friends he is going to be at a ten. I don't care what happened over the weekend. There's mortar cool just beginning.
Speaker 5: It's a quarterbacks league, let's go.
Speaker 3: Where are guys like Chris Godwin, Sam Darnold. We'rely all going to land because they with their current teams or find new homes in twenty twenty five Free Agency Frenzy. It begins eight hours live coverage today at ten am Eastern. I mean, it's happening right now on NFL Network and you can stream it on NFL Plus. But still coming up on our show, guys, Miles Garrett, why is he all of a sudden the seventh news item that we have to talk about today. When we left the show on Friday, we were saying the Browns are going to be able to trade him for the king's ransom. Nope, he got a king's ransom, but it's from Cleveland. What does this mean for the Browns moving forward? Peter Kyle, We got takes and we got Rock Green at the.
Speaker 12: Table, all right, so we've also got answers. Gino Smith is heading to the Raiders. That's interesting. How does this affect the quarterback market? Who's the Steelers quarterback, who's the Giants quarterback?
Speaker 10: Who's the Vikings quarterback? Who is your quarterback? What is your football television show? You're watching it right.
Speaker 12: Now Good morning for old go Anywhere Frenzy time.
Speaker 2: Good Morning football.
Speaker 3: We're back on GMFB. We were wondering what direction Pete Carroll was going to go in as a new head coach to the Las Vegas Raiders. Ian Rappaport get in here, because the Raiders now know who their starting quarterback will be, and it's a guy that's familiar to Pete Carroll from a little just a little bit farther west and up north.
Speaker 8: That's right, as the Las Vegas Raiders head into free agency with a new coach and a new general manager, they at least know who their quarterback is. Before all this band has started late on Friday or whenever that was, I don't know.
Speaker 9: It seems like a million years ago.
Speaker 8: Geno Smith was traded from the Seahawks to the Las Vegas Raiders for the price of a third round pick. So Gino goes from Seattle where wanted a contract extension. Wasn't able to agree to terms with the team. I know they had some discussions, really just wasn't able to get on the same page.
Speaker 9: Really wasn't able to get there.
Speaker 8: He now goes to the Las Vegas Rangers to fill a huge hole there. The Raiders of course hold the number seven overall pick.
Speaker 9: We'll see if they end up taking a quarterback, but Geno Smith.
Speaker 8: The Genosmith trade would makes that less likely, maybe far less likely.
Speaker 9: It would also expect at some point they.
Speaker 8: Would try to lock up Gino Smith on a contract extension. All of that to come, but the main thing now, the Raiders finally now do have a quarterback and the Seahawks need one.
Speaker 3: All right, and thank you so much. The Seahawks certainly deserve their own conversation and free agency frenzy. They have moved on from Star wide receivers their quarterback. They are going with a young core Peter. But let's focus on the departed quarterback in Seattle and that position specifically. There must be a quarterback situation, whether it be the absence of one in Seattle or anywhere else in the league, that has your attention. Right now, Where is it, Peter.
Speaker 5: New York Giants our backyard right here.
Speaker 6: The Giants, of course, did this Sakuon Barkley move last year, not signing him back, saying hey, go quiet, we're gonna save our money, We're gonna build an offensive line.
Speaker 11: And then the quarterback.
Speaker 6: Play was atrocious last year. There is a giant void of that position in there is no sure thing. Look, I have reported this, I said at the combine, I will double down.
Speaker 11: Aaron Rodgers is deaf.
Speaker 6: Definitely a possibility, as silly as that sounds, oxymoron wise, definitely a possibility in New York. That is a guy that they have zeroed in on in a lot of ways. But Rodgers's gonna have options. Rogers's gonna have options in that he can wait his time out, see what place is filled, what carousel seat has still opened? And I do think Pittsburgh's a real possibility. If the Giants don't bring in Rogers, Well, you look at the draft and they have the third pick.
Speaker 11: So can't really just snap your fingers and say I'm gonna get cam Ward. He might be gone. And you can't snap your fingers and say we're gonna.
Speaker 6: Get schandor he might be gone. So you have the third pick, which puts the Giants kind.
Speaker 11: Of in this wait and see mode.
Speaker 5: Are they interested in Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 5: Are they should have Darnald?
Speaker 11: I don't think I see that, and I haven't heard that.
Speaker 6: And it's more because well we went down the road of having Daniel Jones on that two year deal and it didn't work out, and we should have known. We shouldn't have got is Donald worthy of long term contract in New York. I don't know if Joe Shane's gonna put his name to Sam Darnald.
Speaker 9: For the long term.
Speaker 6: And then you start getting down those second and third options, and it starts getting to Russell Wilson really quick, and it starts getting to mac Jones and Zak Wilson really come out on those and Carson Wentz really quick. It almost makes you say, oh, wait, Rogers, like, do we need to go all Lennon Rodgers. It's amazing how it went from this peculiar curiosity two weeks ago to now being maybe their best option Aaron Rodgers and the Giants to me. But if they don't land Aaron Rodgers, it gets really really interesting and it could get really hairy for Giants fans in the next few hours.
Speaker 10: What do you got, Brock.
Speaker 4: I'm looking at the Colts and they may not be the sexy name right now, but I'm looking at the Colts because we have two options. Is Anthony Richardson going to finally emerge or will they Daniel Jones type research. They're in such a unique situational one. I never fault Anthony Richardson for any of the stuff on the field. He has no skill set that immediately transfers to a Shane Stike in offense. They got him anyway. He doesn't dictate where he goes. He's there.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 4: I do blame him for the anti is a strong word. But the helmet, the coming off the sideline, that stuff, what does that do?
Speaker 7: It opens the floodgates.
Speaker 4: So now the Colts are looking for a veteran to come in and say, hey, this isn't a situation where you're gonna mentor the young pup and teach them some things. No, you're here because you might be starting Week one. And what a great opportunity for a Daniel Jones to get in there.
Speaker 7: This team is ready to rock. They're young.
Speaker 4: With the Colts offensive line, you never have to worry. You have downs, you have Pittman, you have Peers, three guys who could be there forever. This team is ready to cook. It comes down to one position offensively, and it's the quarterback position. And everyone's back is against the wall, top to bottom in that organization. They do not have patients. Anthony Richardson has run out of tether. He is a freak of nature athletically, but there's no tether. They need performance immediately week one. I would love to see Daniel Jones there.
Speaker 7: I love a quarterback battle as.
Speaker 4: Well, when you go into training camp and you know that the most important position on the field, both of those guys, or maybe it's a three man competition, when those those guys have to show up every single day and give their best as a safety, as a cornerback, what's my excuse, right, I have to go out there and fight.
Speaker 7: So I'm looking at the Colts.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 12: I always Riches has been making the good headlines. Is training in the offseason, the best shape of his life type stuff. You're going to see that this fall. His body fat percentage is all down, and I hope he needs it. I would go back to the Giants, and Peter talked a lot about it. I have no doubt that the Giants are interested in Rogers. My question is is the other way through as well? Like is Rogers interested in the Giants? I need something better than he already has a house in New Jersey. I'm so sick of he cares. It's a person with unlimited resources. They can move, they have a binary life, they've lived their whole deal. I don't know if I also like Giants fans. That's a weird sell for Rogers. They spent the last two years making fun of Jets fans and making Rogers jokes, and now he's going to be your guy. I don't see a lot of Giants fans, many of them I know personal, who are like, hell, yes, bring Rogers.
Speaker 10: I just don't see it.
Speaker 12: They'd rather start fresh, they'd rather take a risk in the draft, they'd rather do something there that's theirs.
Speaker 10: Holy I don't think that's happening.
Speaker 12: I look at the Vikings though, was really interesting situation, just if only because they were so good last year, and it seems like whoever quarterback they get might be more significant to the league than who the Giants get or who the Raiders have already got.
Speaker 10: This is a big deal here.
Speaker 12: I don't think it's gonna be Sam Donald, just based on my gunt what I'm watching, because everything I hear is well, if you could just give him a sort of a medium deal, that doesn't exist. Guys, we've talked about this over there is no middle class. It's not gonna be this two year deal for thirty million dollars. You don't see deals like that after a season like you just had the Daniel Jones thing?
Speaker 10: Would you hate me?
Speaker 12: If I don't hate it, you think I'm gonna come out and say, oh, Daniel Jones, I don't know, big strong athlete. We just saw Sam Donald, who no one thought anything of when he showed up in Minnesota, play really well.
Speaker 10: Rogers thing.
Speaker 12: I also to put that, I don't see it at all, don't I know? It's really fun and tasty to go the same farv route and we can make a whole jokes than in fifteen years Jordan Love will be on the Vikings.
Speaker 10: After being with the Jets. I don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 12: The guy that I would love to see start for the Vikings next year is JJ That's the one I want to see. Their guy, the guy they drafted, a guy who got injured a long time ago, and a guy who is Frank. If you have Justin Jefferson some of those defensive players.
Speaker 10: That guy's on the clock. Tick tick tick tick tick tick.
Speaker 12: You want to win a Super Bowl. You got about three or four years at the most to do it. And then if he turns out he's the next coming of Drew Brees or Kirk Cousins. I, by the way, I don't know what that look is. I would probably get in the gym a little bit more and maybe the super cuts. I don't know if that's the look. But this was also a couple of months ago. If I could snap my fingers, and if I could speak for Vikings fans, what make them the happiest that he is starting week one? He's healthy, He's throwing to Jefferson. That is your guy. I'd start the ride now.
Speaker 11: Your parent with Daniel Jones is like that sure veteran sure.
Speaker 12: I mean fully tossing the Justin Jefferson keys to Daniel Jones does not make me feel great.
Speaker 10: But again, I can't be a hypocrite.
Speaker 12: If I would have said last year, you're tossing them to Sam Donald coming off after being a backup from the Niners, I'd like, I don't feel great, and he lit it up.
Speaker 10: So I do think they have options.
Speaker 12: I do not think Donald will be one of them, and I don't think Rogers will be one of them.
Speaker 3: Sometimes the best player on a basketball court is the sixth man, the guy that gets to watch the game start and understand how the game is unfolding. And maybe that's what's gonna happen with jj McCarthy's career. After having watched everything unfold in front of him last year and been in Josh McCown's pocket all season long, Peter quickly the way things have panned out with quarterbacks thus far, has it made the market even hotter for Sam Donald because it feels like we're hearing his name in more spots that are not Minnesota right now.
Speaker 6: The trade of Gino to the Raiders opened things up for Sam Donald considerably because now there's an open spot in Seattle that needs a quarterback at that they can actually spend the money on him. His number was always going to be, just like Kyle said, like a lot, but not enough because he has improved everything so that he was this good option for Minnesota if they could come to terms. But if there's teams bidding on him, it totally it sits too much money for Minnesota to.
Speaker 10: Have that quarterback, and a rookie quarterback.
Speaker 6: The whole reason why Kraisiodopo Menta drafted JJ McCarthy and had Sam Donald because he had the economically sound veteran in Donald. And then you have the rookie on the rookie contract, and you could spend everywhere else.
Speaker 5: Well, that one could be completely blown up.
Speaker 6: Maybe all a sudden, you're paying forty million dollars to Donald or forty five million, and then you got, you.
Speaker 11: Know, ten million to JJ McCarthy.
Speaker 6: So Donald's teams I thought Tennessee made sense. I'm hearing nothing out of Tennessee on Sam Donald. So Seattle Pittsburgh's getting whispered. And then of course you could always say, all right, well you got all those teams. Then he could take a short term deal with any of these teams if he wanted to do a one year deal and go to one of these squads, whether it be the Giants or one of these other quarterback needy teams or the whole. So I think Sam Donald's market opened up when Gino was traded to the Raiders and the Vegas Raiders option became Geno's team.
Speaker 3: The Vikings made sure they were set at least everywhere else, signing Aaron Jones to a two year, twenty million dollar deal over the weekend as well, didn't let him hit the open market. Still, the come free agent frenzies.
Speaker 2: Here. We're taking a.
Speaker 3: Look at who could make some noise in the free agent market. And by noise, I mean Kyle screaming or ripping a paper or peer growing his phone or like. We're not just like ooh, that was like a sexy that no like we actually made noise.
Speaker 13: We have.
Speaker 3: We're very literal in our interpretations of bumps on GMFP goodbye.
Speaker 7: Busy morning on GMFB.
Speaker 3: But that does not mean we will not take time to welcome in mj Acosta Luiz, who is handling the news for us on this very crazy day.
Speaker 10: MJ.
Speaker 2: What up girl? Are you doing?
Speaker 10: I'm great?
Speaker 7: You know the last time I woke up this early?
Speaker 13: I can't remember the last time. Worth welcome in, but incredible stuff to get to. As we continue to celebrate Women's History months, we celebrate the accomplishments of inspirational women across the league. Minnesota Vikings director of International Marketing Keisha Wyatt shows us what it takes to get fans overseas access to school nation.
Speaker 14: My role is able to really give our core fans that are in Canada and the United Kingdom's opportunity to have access to the Minnesota Vikings.
Speaker 10: There is a lot of purple in the stands today.
Speaker 14: My proudest moment in my career ever has been our London game with our Global Markets program. You know, we've been fortunate to play in London for four times now this past year. In twenty twenty four, I was able to lead our activation. That campaign was true and dear to my heart because it was a two year job in the making. I can honestly say I was the first black woman in this role, and so for me it was already a proud moment just to be able to say here I am breaking a barrier for someone to come behind me to also at least have an example. You know, we can do this, We can do these type of roles, and I think the time will come where we will see more women in president roles, CEO positions, and my hope is that we see more women that look like me in these type of roles as well.
Speaker 5: Incredible stuff there.
Speaker 13: I was actually at one of those games, electric all right, when we come back up the Browns, they backed up the Brins truck to keep Miles Garrett.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we would too, Jami and the guys.
Speaker 10: We'll got into white.
Speaker 13: This this deal and what it means for the rest of the league.
Speaker 2: That's a good morning football.
Speaker 3: We had a history making contract extension signed over the weekend, Ian Rappaport, But it came as the seventh version of a chapter to a story that we were enraptured by with Miles Garrett and the Cleveland Browns. How did this thing finish?
Speaker 8: It went from a trade request to a new contract, a blockbuster new contract for Miles Garrett, now the highest paid defensive player at NFL history, highest paid non quarterback in NFL history. And you're right, this one went for Miles Garrett on superw League, declaring that he was not going to play for the Browns, wanted to be traded all the way to the new contracts. My understanding was the Browns never budget all, never took calls from teams, never engaged in any trade talks, told Miles Garrett, you are going to be here, and as soon as it became clear to him that they weren't moving, concluding when he did not get the.
Speaker 9: Meeting with owner Jimmy haslum that he wanted.
Speaker 8: All the focus turned on getting a contract done and the dealer is massive.
Speaker 9: Four years, one.
Speaker 8: Hundred and sixty million dollars, one hundred and twenty three million dollars guaranteed. So he is now under contract for six years total for.
Speaker 9: The Cleveland Browns at.
Speaker 8: A two hundred and four point eight million dollars total, more than one hundred million dollars in the first three years eighty eight twenty eight million dollars fully guaranteed upon signing.
Speaker 9: This saga now ends.
Speaker 8: Miles Garrett stays with the Browns, and he does so as a very very rich man.
Speaker 3: Absolutely well, he is one of the best. So he certainly qualifies for those numbers Ian, thank you very much. And if you look at those numbers in twenty twenty one, of course, Miles Garrett he qualifies for being amongst the games elite and Peter, this is why he got paid. But there is an aspect to this which is just how and why did this come to be? And actually, Kyle, because we were discussing it last week for so long, I want to check in with you first.
Speaker 12: Yeah, all right, So there's a whole bunch of statistics and stuff, and that's where he's been since the last few years.
Speaker 10: And you know that he's a great player. He's going to go to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: More importantly than the stats, what is this, what has happened over.
Speaker 10: The past week.
Speaker 12: It's I want to just make sure we review how we got here, because there's going to be a lot of big news and big players in big numbers. This one is a little bit different, mostly because about a week ago, Miles Garrett himself penned a first person letter which was published and passionate, and I'm going to read to you now in part this is what Miles Garrett was saying.
Speaker 10: Here we go.
Speaker 12: He talks about his childhood as a kid dreaming of the NFL.
Speaker 10: All I focused on was.
Speaker 12: The ultimate goal of winning a Super Bowl, and that goal fuels me today more than ever. He would go on to say, my desire to win and compete on the biggest stages won't allow me to be complacent.
Speaker 10: The goal was never to go from Cleveland and Canton.
Speaker 12: It has always been to compete for and win a Super Bowl. With that in mind, I have requested to be traded from the Cleveland Browns. Very moving, very passionate and very black and white. We go from that to this one week later, money boom bam everything. Miles Garrett somehow convinced, despite saying passionately that all he wants is a Super Bowl, that staying in Cleveland, where he will probably have week one, the seventeenth starting quarterback of his tenure, there is the best path to that.
Speaker 10: You know what, I think had the best tweet about it. Everybody laughed about it.
Speaker 12: I think the most eloquent, well spoken tweet was bring it up. This hit every single note of this exactly and you're not all right. So you have lolo WGF because first of all, we all laugh like, what is this a joke?
Speaker 10: How could this possibly be true? That's phase one.
Speaker 12: The second one one is realization of yo, wow, this really is happening, and then wtf. I thought that his whole thing was he wanted to leave. And McNeil tweeted this, and it brings up to Michael Scott. I was never in this for the money, but it turns out that the money was an absolute necessity for me.
Speaker 5: Like we have heard, it's.
Speaker 10: Not about the money.
Speaker 12: For decades in sports, it has never been more about the money, and that's fine, go and make as much as you want. But to be in less than a week of a pennying a passionate letter to the fan base about winning Super Bowls and I'm leaving and b going on a whistle stop tour through the city of New Orleans to stop at every radio show and podcast and taken.
Speaker 10: I've talked with my family. We're on the same page. We're leaving.
Speaker 12: Which is it? Is it that the money was that important? Was this a ruse? Was this a hidden ball trick? That is one of the greatest one eighties I have ever seen. And a player who wants out to a player who's gonna be here for life, and he's gonna buy himself all kinds of crap with money.
Speaker 10: So I hope he's happy.
Speaker 12: I don't see any way he's going to get that Super Bowl anytime soon. But you do have a ton of money. So he doesn't have a quarterback. But he's really close friends with Benjamin Franklin, and God blessed him.
Speaker 10: Miles.
Speaker 6: I think as a viewers, as fans, as media like we would appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Yesterday Miles Garrett and I was like, guys, it was a lot of money. Figured it out and the money it said.
Speaker 6: We get this tweet from like Mary kay Cabin, who's the local. We were like that she spoke to the agent and Miles has had a change of heart, a change of heart about his like four weeks ago. And not to pile on here, but he was on Eisen Show on Roku he says, I don't care about the money.
Speaker 5: I just want to win a championship.
Speaker 6: I just want people to know that it's not about money.
Speaker 11: It's not about me being the highest on the quarterback. It's not about me having a huge contract.
Speaker 6: But like you could walk go, here's the other thing I really, in hindsight, respect the heck out of the Browns owner Jimmy Haslm not sitting down.
Speaker 5: And talking with him last year.
Speaker 6: Last week, Miles Garrett was asked for a meeting and Jimmy Haslm was like, now you don't get a meeting. You're under contract for two more years. No, and it could be four more years. We want to franchise tag. You deal with Andrew Berry, our GM deal with him. Because the same folks that cry about owners meddling with team affairs, why is the owner involved the ownership.
Speaker 5: Let the g Why is the owner getting volved?
Speaker 10: Why is Jarret Jordan vult?
Speaker 6: We're the same people like, how does the owner not meet with Miles Garrett? Well, the owner's like, no, you're under contract for two more years.
Speaker 5: Play out your contract.
Speaker 6: And at the end of the day, Miles Garrett did not have a no trade clause, so they could have traded him right there.
Speaker 5: They could have traded him to Jacksonville.
Speaker 6: Miles Garrett could be a Jacksonville Jaguar this morning. And I'm not saying that's like the pine Barons of the NFL are like, but he could.
Speaker 10: They could have traded him anywhere.
Speaker 6: You want to be traded, your giant, you're a jet, you want to be traded. You're gonna You're gonna go now be You know you're a New Orleans Saint and you don't like New Orleans, Well sorry, we traded you go let them figure out the ting.
Speaker 5: So at the end of the day, he gets paid.
Speaker 6: But like that whole song and dance in New Orleans, it doesn't rub me wrong. It's just what a bunch of wasted airwaves and wasted segments on our show when the truth of the matter was you had to change your heart in forty million dollar doll in, the highest non paid quarterback ever could do that.
Speaker 5: Congratulations.
Speaker 11: But now the salary cap.
Speaker 6: Is going all to you, and we hopefully can build a champion around you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they can't and they won't.
Speaker 4: And he knew that going in. If he just would have taken the money, it would have been fine. Everyone would have sat here and said forty million. Of course he does that. But to your guys, great point when you go around and say, no, I'm standing for something.
Speaker 7: I already have the gold jacket. I don't want the god jacket.
Speaker 10: I want the ring.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna get complacent. Yeah, you stuck your foot in your mouth a bit. But I'm sitting here wondering who does this benefit because this doesn't benefit the Browns either.
Speaker 9: You just mentioned it.
Speaker 4: This team is cashtrip. They're over the cap in twenty twenty six. Nothing is going to get better. They're gonna go out there and win three games again. So what does this do for the Cleveland Browns? What does this do for Miles Garrett? There's a ceiling, a very low ceiling place on the amount of change on how different Cleveland can look not just next year, but the year after. And they're in a tough division, and quite honestly, doesn't matter what division they're in.
Speaker 7: They stink right now and it's not going to.
Speaker 4: There's no leverage here for Miles Garrett, right So if after this season, when they win three more games, or the following season, if they win fever games, he can't go say something needs to change or I'm out of here.
Speaker 10: No you're not.
Speaker 4: Jimmy Haslm gets to sit there and say I called your bluff. I will continue to call your bluff, And Miles Garrett has to be a Cleveland Brown until they decide they don't want him anymore. He has no leverage going forward. And as far as the money, anybody would have paid him that and if he got traded, any other team is in a better position than Cleveland is in for the next two years. I'm I'm not disappointed because anybody would love forty million dollars, So I'm not disappointed that he changed his mind. I'm disappointed in the way that he went about it. And I'm disappointed because this could have been a huge moment for the NFL that one of the best players among the league right now stood for something, and that's a pedestal he put himself on.
Speaker 3: Well, the Browns get their player though in the next handful of years till twenty thirty to put him on the poster boards all over Cleveland. So marketability wise, the Browns are there with Miles Garrett moving forward.
Speaker 7: The deal is done.
Speaker 3: Now can we dissect how this massive contract affects the rest of the league?
Speaker 10: Peter?
Speaker 3: Because they're setting the bar, they're setting the table, and then there's just like pulling the linen out from underneath everything and shaking everything, Peter, So how does this change things?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I think I think Kyle brought up Michael Parsons's tweet and part of that was about the situation, and the part of it was about himself, Like, wait a second, what did I just get? Because that just raised the level and the number that anyone thought was imaginable for a non quarterback to make. And now guys like Michael Parsons and Jamar Chase, who have not signed extensions that have been offered by their teams or have not engaged in those talks even are now looking at their wallets and saying, did I just make ten to fifteen million dollars more a year based on what Miles Garrett just did with Cleveland.
Speaker 11: I'm telling you, I can't stress it enough.
Speaker 6: It was a blip on the radar when the new salary cap numbers were announced at the combine. It was way more than a lot of these teams even thought was going to be. They have tons of more money to spend now. And if you didn't sign a deal early with these players that you wanted to keep, they have even more leverage. So Jamar Chase, Michael Parsons, congratulations, he got a lot richer and Miles.
Speaker 5: Garrett might have set that bar for you.
Speaker 4: I see a sigh of relief around the league that Miles Garrett did end up on a team that many would see more as a contender. So they're all breathing, Okay, Miles and Carrett is not an eagle. This is great news for us, and a lot of players are gonna get maybe a little more money and they can add that to their bank account, which is great. But as far as a big picture, I see this as a heat check. Jamie, you made a basketball reference earlier. I compare this to James Harden, right, James Harden tweets out, I don't want to be here anymore. Twenty four hours later, he's playing across the street as a Clipper. Right. I feel the NFL players kind of saw, okay, maybe we're not NBA leverage just yet. As far as player empowerment goes, there's been huge leaps. Players have have more empowerment and power currently than they've ever had.
Speaker 7: But this was a heat check. This was no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: This is the NFL. We are not going to operate like the NBH just yet. And you are under contract and you will honor that contract. So a lot of money to go around, but maybe a little bit of humbling as well.
Speaker 10: I'm intrigued by what Peter said, and to.
Speaker 12: Your point, like the Browns handled this pretty damn well, the fact that their face of their franchise is doing a publicity tour about how much he wants out because you'll never win a Super Bowl.
Speaker 10: They shut up.
Speaker 12: They didn't do anything crazy and dumb, like you know, I'm following him on social or some cryptic emoji. Andrew Berry, Stefanski and Haslam just stood their ground and they said no, no, no. When even had me last Friday, I was screaming on this show, trade them, trade them, get everything you can for him right now, and they said, no, we're gonna sign them.
Speaker 10: And listen.
Speaker 12: I think the Browns organization takes a lot of craft for how they handle things, and some of it is well deserved, but this wasn't. I would say march this up with some at the time that they handled themselves with dignity, and I really am impressed with how they did this. And I give nothing, no snarky remark, nothing whatsoever. They have a fantastic player. I mean, I don't know what the hell they're going to do with their quarterback, but for this particular chapter, I thought it was very well done.
Speaker 3: All Right, the other team is managing free agency to try and win a Super Bowl. The Eagles have done it, and Jalen Hurts is managing his cigar collection and having dinner with Michael Jordan.
Speaker 7: That's what you get to do in the.
Speaker 13: Off season when you win a Super Bowl MVP.
Speaker 3: And you won your first Lombardi and you bring it back to Philly and Peter, you get to have dinner with the NBA great Michael Jordan.
Speaker 9: Your thoughts awesome.
Speaker 5: You know, he's a Jordan athlete.
Speaker 11: He's on the brand.
Speaker 6: What a cool picture for Jalen and of course MJ so cool and how he looks.
Speaker 4: The more I think about it, the more find similarities between Jalen Hurts and Michael Jordan. Jalen Hurts isn't on camera as much, but there is a mystery to him, right He's always speaking in parables. He wants the winning to do the talking, so I see why him and Jordan have a ton to talk about.