Speaker 1: This is the most dramatic podcast ever and iHeartRadio podcast. Chris Harrison and Lauren Zema coming to you from the home office in Austin, Texas. And you know, can I still say happy holidays because it's time for the kids and everybody to go back to school. It's time to get back to what is This has been the long COVID version of the holidays. These holidays will not end.
Speaker 2: No, here's well, here's what it is. I think they're on weird days this year, like New Year's Day being on a Monday that felt weird Christmas and so it made the whole week feel totally thrown How many times of us said wait, what day is it? And I think, honey, that we just have two kids in college right now. They have a month long break. And by the way, here's how we're feeling. We love them. We are so happy they're at home. It has been an awesome trip. I know that they're ready to get rid of us at this point. They want to go back to their lives.
Speaker 1: We were talking today in the kitchen and they were both like kind of had long faces and they're like they were both talking and I walked in on the conversation about they're ready to get back that they're not exactly excited to get back to school, but they're ready to get back to school because that's their lives. And I remember, even though it was like back in the dark ages, go, you know, so ready to go back to school because you've built your life with your friends, fraternity brothers sorority sisters, your club, your soccer, your sports, whatever it is. And then you kind of get ripped out of it. You go home and it's kind of refreshing. You're back in your own bed, You're eating some home cooked meals, you got a washer and dryer, but man, it goes quick.
Speaker 2: Well, it's not good for anybody to go too long without a daily routine, and with these breaks especially, I think for kids in who have parents who are divorced and they have to go to each family and they might be in different states. They can't really work during the winter break. It's like not enough time to get a job, you know, it's not summer. But so then they like don't have a routine during the day. How long is a high school break, I don't remember.
Speaker 1: They all went back to school, so they everyone pretty much got out the fifteenth of December, that that Friday whatever that that actually hit well, and then it was probably going back this last Monday.
Speaker 2: Here's what I think every school winter break should be three weeks. I think that's the right amount.
Speaker 1: Because we're coming up to the Martin Luther King Holiday, right, and now our kids are not only off for the holidays, they're now off for the next MLK day. Then they're going back to school.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know.
Speaker 1: Some colleges down in the SEC, down in the South, they're going the following week. They're still out another week, which is just insane. So and you know when they get out for.
Speaker 2: Picture this imagine going to stay home with your parents now for a month, no zero. They have to be so sick of us.
Speaker 1: Well because I don't get the you know, because I don't have the bribe of home cooked meals, the washer and dryer being such a novelty. At least we got that over the kids. But we had a great holiday and it's still going on. You know, it's we're pretty much going to get into spring break and we're still going to be But we.
Speaker 2: Did something that I'm not sure we've ever done with the kids before. Because I don't know if many gen z ers do it. We watched some of the Golden Globes with Taylor. Yes, like I've never and I think that when I was when I know that. When I was younger, I watched Awards shows because back then that was the only time you saw celebrities. Now they're on social media. So the Golden Globes, we watched them with Taylor. It was interesting to kind of watch it through her eyes. You realize it makes you feel a little old because you realize she doesn't know a lot of like the older movie stars were.
Speaker 1: We Is it because we've moved out of Hollywood and you know, both both you and I worked. I've worked the red carpet, so have you. We've been to all the parties. One of the last things we did in la before we moved was going to the Gold Globes parties and all that, and it was fun. It's a great of all the parties. I would say the Globes are fun because everybody's in the Hilton there and it's it's kind of everyone's together. But you and I both didn't know they were on. Is it? Is it a lack of what's the lack of awareness anymore.
Speaker 2: I was texting with a friend. Apparently CBS just got the rights to the Globes because remember the Globes went through this controversy in the past couple of years. The Hollywood Foreign Press Association was under fire for its lack of diversity. They were kind of disbanded. NBC didn't air refuse to air the Globes a few years ago. I think they went up for sale. Apparently CBS, my former employer, got the rights just a few weeks ago, so there wasn't a lot of promotion. Joe Koy, the host, said he only got the gig ten days beforehand. I heard reports that a lot of people turned it down. So overall, we watched a little of the Globes. I didn't really see the red carpet beforehand, the red carpet coverage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw no red carpet coverage, but we watched the monologue on.
Speaker 2: Yes and the Globes are back numbers wise, I mean, not back, but a lot better than last year, which was a record low. But I feel like the past couple of days I've spent discussing what is the future of awards shows, like did you think the Globes were good.
Speaker 1: Well, in all fairness, and I'm not getting on this globeuse. I think it did a one point four rating in the demographic, which is that eighteen to forty nine year old coveted demographic. I believe six and a half maybe seven million viewers. I mean, that's fine if you're like in CIS or something like, if you're a regular show a Survivor finale on CBS, one point four would be good. An award show, live event like football Football was on at the same time Bill's Dolphins. It probably did fourteen to eighteen million viewers, so two to three x when the Globes did. So that just tells you these shows have become I don't know if they've become obsolete, and I'm not trying to be mean at all, but they have become not the relevant talking point they used to be.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's a couple of things that aren't their fault. Like one, again, this used to be the only place you could see celebrities. Now you see them on social media everywhere. Two, This award shows used to be one of the only places you could see really great fashion. Now we see fashion on social media constantly. Three. You know, the pandemic didn't help. It accelerated down a decline that was already happening. But I also think, and I don't know where this starts, the chicken or the egg of it all overall, my biggest issue with the Globes it just wasn't that fun. These awards shows aren't fun anymore. First of all, let's talk about Joe Coy. I have a new term for a bad joke. I call it a joke Coy.
Speaker 1: He's now become the punchline of a joke. Ironically, he is the funny punchline of a joke.
Speaker 2: So the jokes were okay, I'll give him this. People say this who have hosted these shows. And Steve Martin just came out and defended him a little bit, because Steve Martins hosted the Oscars and other awards shows over the years. And Steve Martin said, it's a very difficult job. Congrats to him because he took on the toughest gig in show business. Now I know that it's difficult. But the low hanging fruit jokes by Joe Cooy, Yeah, the joke about Barbie being a movie about a doll with big boobs, the joke about like, I don't know why we would there. I think there was a a joke, you know, a joke about Barry Keyogan's penis.
Speaker 1: It was just so the Oppenheimer needed to be an hour longer. That kind of it was just it was so basic.
Speaker 2: And then he turned on his writers in the middle of the monologue started blaming them, saying, I didn't write the jokes that you're not laughing at.
Speaker 1: You know what I noticed about the whole room just to start the look of it, because they changed the room. They added that so if you noticed, it was kind of in the round. They had the regular stage that they're always on. It's the same ballroom. It's at the Beverly Hilton there and Beverly Hill as you can drive by it at Wilshire and what is that right there? Santa Monica right there in Beverly Hill's same hotel forever. But they added this circular thing in the round, and they the stage. They took away cameramen and women and added they just put in electronic cameras. Did you notice that there was like three cameras on the stage that would electronically come up to either hit the host or the presenters or whoever it was. It was a really weird thing. So anyway, the point is they took much of that lower room where all the big stars usually sit. So to me, it looked like ten pounds of you know what shoved in a five pound sack.
Speaker 2: The whole room looked so crowded.
Speaker 1: Everybody couldn't get to the stage.
Speaker 2: People knew it was most of the shows. People walking around people's chairs. It was so like there, and that to me is so basic, Like I get it, CBS, you only just got the show. But think about if when we were planning our wedding we were thinking about how much space there was between tables for people to walk around.
Speaker 1: Bradley Cooper looked like he was at a Catholic mass. He got up and down out of his seat so much it looked like he was praying because he had to get up every time someone came back because there was no room to just walk to the stage. Rule number one, people are gonna win, get them to the stage. It looked it just looks so wed, I know, And.
Speaker 2: You know, I was texting my friend and I was my friend who used to work at ET and we were like are we just burnt out because we worked in the industry. But I'm looking at it thinking we've done this before. We've been doing the Globes for decades. How do we not know space the room out a little bit. How do we not know don't make people walk along time to the stage because that's just dead air. How do we not know the guy doing the monologue like it can be a little better. I know that it's tough because you're playing to a very varied group of people, not only in the room and at home. But I actually think it's time for us to be done with hosts that award shows. It doesn't work ninety percent of the time. The only times I can remember the Globes being great were when it was Tina Fey and Amy pull her together and some people like Tricky, I mean, you were the best.
Speaker 1: We love Ricky Gervais, meaning the rest of America. The Hollywood crowd did not like Ricky Gervais because he absolutely came for them. He came for them, the Jeffrey Epstein jokes, the Weinstein jokes, the I mean he he just would shine a big bright light on the hypocrisy that is Hollywood and the rest of us loved it because it was so fantastic and it was spot on. The glarees and the odd looks if I'll never forget like Tom Hanks looking around so uncomfortably, and I mean so he it was like he just made Hollywood so uncomfortable. But it was brilliant. Now, Amy Poehler, Tina Fey a plus plus.
Speaker 2: So they did it the best. I think at this point the comedians, because I hear a lot of people be like like, for example, Kristin Wigan, Will Ferrell, Oh my gosh. I love seeing them together again as presenters. They were so funny and I thought to myself, this is what the show should be. Just have really good presenting pairs, people who know each other. Andrew Day and John Batiste were so funny together. Put together people who know each other do not do. Kevin Costner and America Frera a poor America Frera up. There was drowning happened. I don't know what Kevin Costner was doing. I don't think he had read through it. I don't think he knew what he was saying. Maybe he needed his reading glasses.
Speaker 1: I was so uncomfortable and America Freerrah God bless her tried to carry on and still hit her punchlines. It was horror. I just wanted music to play and go to commercial. It was so horrifying. I don't know what happened there.
Speaker 2: So I think pairs of presenters who are friends who can do really well together, just because also I like I heard like Taylor said to me, Oh my gosh, Will Ferrell and Kristen Wig were so funny together. Why don't they just get them to host?
Speaker 1: By the way, the Suits reunion, that was great. Loved seeing them back on stage, and that was a really cute joke about taking so long for a show to be recognized. So I agree, But.
Speaker 2: I said to Taylor, Hey, it's not that they haven't asked them. These comedians like a Will Ferrell and Kristini, it is so much more advantageous to them to say we're just going to come out crush our two minutes of presenting. We're not going to take the risk of being because the Joe Koy job, the host job, is a risk. It can be hugely detrimental to your career. This was not a win for him.
Speaker 1: I mean, he can still be doing a stand up at the Laugh.
Speaker 2: Fame and I've never watched his stand up, but it's probably not reflective. He's probably a better stand up comedian of the SAE.
Speaker 1: Some comedians have come out and said that, you know, this is not indicative of how funny he can be and all that. Look. I don't know, but he was up against it. Eventually, you're going to get to someone who will say yes for the job. Ten days out that's an impossible task to come in and try and host the Golden Globes. But knowing that you should have accepted the loss and just kind of stayed a little straighter, hit a couple of jokes and just moved on. It was an impossible job, but he really made it worse by the jokes he made. And I the other thing I would say is we're done with the voiceover, going in.
Speaker 2: And out the voiceovers. We're so it's.
Speaker 1: Usually it Usually it's one of the disc jockey's, one of the DJ's radio people from LA that that do it. And it's not their fault because somebody writes it. And if you don't know what we're talking about, it's coming up after the break. Meryl Streep is, you know, sitting around waiting to see if if you know, and they take a shot at Meryl Streep and it's Martin Scorsese.
Speaker 2: The Martin Scorsese one was the worst one because they'd clearly pre planned it. But oh my gosh, we need to pivot. The Martin scor Sayse voiceover was coming up. Martin Scorsese can't sit still, and he was literally sitting side. I think he did fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Look, there are so many stars. That's the beautiful thing about the Globes is you do have so many big stars in that room. You don't need a voiceover. You don't need to tell somebody what's coming up next. We know what we're watching. Just show stars, Just show Taylor Swift, Jennifer Aniston, Bradley Cooper, you know, Jason Bateman was right there, Joaquin Phoenix. You had Timothy Shalome right there.
Speaker 2: Come we have lost the fun. They were so cheesy. Let's talk a book. I'm thinking of what you just brought up, Joaquin Phoenix. Let's process this. At one table was Joaquin Phoenix, Nicholas Cage, and Jared Leto. That is the weirdest table the most. I say this with love for all of them.
Speaker 1: You know what it is. That's the table and you and I just had this issue. You get to your wedding and there's like that person that doesn't quite fit and you're not sure what to do with them. So you have this table that's like table X at your wedding. It's like, well, what do we do with Jared Letto? I don't know, he's kind of on his own. Well there's Nick Cage. All right, Well let's put like, you know, Timothy Schalome there too. But it was funny because poor uh Joaquin Phoenix wasn't his fault, but he was on camera a lot the way they were shooting back towards that screen, and he just had his hand, you know, his head in his hand, like half asleep, like oh God, like just let this be over, Kate.
Speaker 2: But why can the voice of or not be Well there's Jared Lettow class Cage walking in Phoenix. What the hell are they talking about? Like what a table is that?
Speaker 1: Like? Have writers have late night writers ready to go with jokes? Or just my thing is NAT Sound go to break with fifteen seconds of nat Sound of stars. You're showing ted last because it's the one room I will say where you have these amazing get togethers because we are so compact in those rooms. It's all of a sudden, Ted Lasso Jason Sedeikis is talking to Meryl Streep. You never see that, right, you see Meryl Streep hugging Jennifer Aniston or you just see these weird kind of You're like, oh, I didn't know. Everybody was freaking out about Bill Hayter and dating the Alley one Elli Wong. Everyone's like, stop the Internet. I didn't know they were dating. So show that, just show.
Speaker 2: That, just show it and let it happen.
Speaker 1: I think we don't need something. There was the voiceovers really take me back to the seventies.
Speaker 2: And it reeked of like just a lack of it said something like love celebrities fanning out for each other. I'm like, when was this written? It was so bad, And the moments are happening, because what do we get Selena Gomez going over to talk to Taylor Swift and Kayleie Teller to say whatever gossip she had to say. And that moment was probably the biggest moment of the Globes.
Speaker 1: And this is where and I do think it was Dick Clark Productions and I've been a part of these productions before, because I've gone on and done some stuff for the Oscars and the Academy and some of these shows. You have very very old school TV people, and I mean old.
Speaker 2: School are you talking about.
Speaker 1: They've been doing this, yes, yeah, they were doing this when John Wayne was winning Oscars and they're like, this is what we're gonna write, and you write it five days before it happens. So they don't quite get the TikTok Instagram stories world we live in, where all we really want to see you're basically showing reels. Show us five second reels going to break. Boom, Taylor Swift, Oh my god, what are they talking about? I don't know. There's is that Jared Leto with Nick Cage, Oh my god? Switch over to Jason Bateman hugging on. That's all we want is quick reels. I don't need the voiceovers, just show that going to break.
Speaker 2: So, having done all the live TV you've done, I mean you did live after shows, you did Miss America Live, what.
Speaker 1: I did, the Red Carpets at all of the allshos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's different. I mean I've done those. That's very different than like a show because the live Red Carpets you're kind of like people are coming and it's a little harder. I'm talking a produced show where you have a run of show, but it is live. What advice would you give to anybody about to undertake something like this? What are like three and producing it all together or hosting it? What are three takeaways? Three pitfalls that live TVs can get into?
Speaker 1: My thing because I produced, I produe executive produce and host of The Red Carpets for TV Guide for many years, and my thing was, don't forget what the fans want to see. And you hit the nail on the head. So ten days out, instead of trying to find somebody again at one of the local laugh factories of the comedy club, just go without a host.
Speaker 2: Guys, you know, not annoyed me? Why didn't they just do that? And I know I've been saying this, but here's another Well, here's another reason it annoyed me. What I actually wanted to see, what you're saying, what the fans wanted to see. I would have loved to let people's speeches breathe a little bit more.
Speaker 1: What I would have done, I would have said, we don't have a host this year. Robert Downey Jr. Will you open the show? Jason Bateman, will you open the show? Will Ferrell, will you just open the show? Don't don't, don't do a monologue thirty seconds. Let's just kick this thing off with a big star that is very beloved. That's the Steve Martin, that's the Billy Crystal. It's just someone we want to you know, that's gonna make us feel good. You don't have to rip the room. That's Ricky Gervasis thing, Amy Puller and Tina Fey were brilliant at what they did. But just let stars be stars. That's what we want to see. And you know, bring a dynamic duo out. Maybe you open it with Will Ferrell and whoever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean Robert Downey Junior's speech made me laugh more than anything. Joe Cooy. He said that he crushed the room and you saw that natru charisma he has and he's probably more comfortable in that room. He's been in it, his friends are in it. You need somebody who's comfortable. How about that rom com we saw with Taylor. Anyone but you has been doing really well at the box office. Please let that inspire Hollywood to make rom coms again, comedies and romantic movies.
Speaker 1: And we had you know, and the Jennifer Lawrence m I know it wasn't being celebrated, but it was like, no hard feelings.
Speaker 2: So she was nominated at the Globes.
Speaker 1: And it was fun. It was she was cute when she when she had her a little close up. I don't win.
Speaker 2: I'm leaving now. I want to talk a little bit about the Red Carpet because you mentioned you've done it. I've done it. We did not watch it. My old home et did a combo carpet with variety because and there was no e Red carpet this year.
Speaker 1: Oh really.
Speaker 2: Now, I don't know exactly why that was.
Speaker 1: Must be the first time in a long Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they just didn't want to pay to do it or if I don't know, but so there was no cake out. I mean, that's that's it.
Speaker 1: What you think about it.
Speaker 2: That's a missing piece.
Speaker 1: You know. The seacrest has gone. Juliana Ransick did it for forever, and yeah, all those people are long gone, and I guess so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was expensive, yes, and it was critiqued very heavily. Everything that I saw, I did not watch any of it, but it was critiqued very heavily. It is very difficult. But at the same time, I'm also wondering, like, is that part of it all dead today? The Red Carpet Reporters, Like it used to be fashion police and critiquing and all that. There was backlash to that. It was like no bullying, no meanness. But the thing is now I feel like that just happens on social media, like now the Red Carpet Reporters. And I know I personally was like very you're almost afraid to even show personality because you don't want to upset anybody and so and you're just trying to do your job, but you also have a bunch of mandates in your head. But now it's just everybody on social media is just critiquing everyone. It's just moved there. Do you think that in the case of a live show, do you go to your monologue and then do you go back and like check the reactions before you go out again and respond in somewhere or do you just power through the live show and look at it all after time.
Speaker 1: I was always so you know, we had this battle on the Bachelor, there were two guys, and I say guys, two men in particular, that lived, ate, drank, and slept. Whatever was said on Twitter. I mean, one tweet could shape their world. My thought when I was doing live TV was we drove social media, not vice versa. We would create topics. We want to go viral, we want to be talked about. It's very rare that I would bring up a topic that I saw on social media, and it's very rare that that works. Everyone tried to E. I worked at E, I worked at ET, I worked at all these places, you name it. I did all those places, and everybody's tried to do the same thing. And you know this, how do we incorporate social media into our red carpet shows? And it never quite worked out.
Speaker 2: I think that's another part of the problem too, is like we would always be trying to find trying to like It's like they spend the red carpets trying to get on top of like this latest thing or create a viral moment or whatever, and you can't that's the whole thing. You can't make it happen the quote unquote viral moment. And I hate even saying the word viral because it sounds so dated, But that happens on accident when you happen to catch Selena Gomez going over to say something gossip via Taylor Swift and you happen to get it, and then it's fire. You cannot create it, And I think the best thing to do is to go for quality content and let the viral stuff happen. But everyone's very afraid to do that. Like I was always like, we're it's like we're again the tail wagon the dog. We're chasing this instead of like, let's ask the questions we really want to know the answers to and then hopefully the viral the moments will happen out of that.
Speaker 1: I used to really enjoy the Red Carpets News. I'll take people kind of inside baseball. So when you're doing the Grammys, Oscars, all these and I was executive producing and hosting, I would have to go meet with the academy. So I would go sit down with the academy. It was me and our other executives, and you're basically begging, borrowing, and stealing. You're doing everything you can to basically bribe these people to get a good spot on the carpet, so E usually seacrest E would go in first, they'd have their meeting. They would usually get spot number one. TV Guide was either number two or number three. Then it was us and it was big on where your spot was on the carpet, how big your stage was allowed to be like, it was a big deal. Seacrest at the Oscars didn't have to stand behind the hedges. There's this row of hedges that we all have to stand behind. And at the end of the day, your thighs look like a porcupine hit you. And you know, Ryan had a little red velvet rope he got to stand. It was like little things like that, so you could be buddy buddy, and the conversations were great. Eight We used to have really good fun stuff. The actors came to be funny. You just wanted to set them up and have a good time. And you've got a lot more viral stuff. And I also think that you have to be live. If these shows aren't live, then they're meaningless because you're doing a red carpet before the Oscars. As soon as the Oscars air, it's obsolete because you're asking him about the Oscars and so if it's not live, then it really doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Oscars were the hardest one too, because everybody's so done by the end. It's the end of Awards season, by the way, I'm just seeing this. Greta Gerwig did respond to the Joe Cooy barbie joke. She's doing an interview and she just responded to it. She said, well, he's not wrong. She's the first doll that was mass produced with breasts, so he's right on. Good responds for her didn't really draw a line one way or the other because it would.
Speaker 1: Have been easy for her to crap on him because it's low hanging fruit because everybody's dog.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think it would have been low hanging for for her. I think it would have been fair for her because she would have been like, well.
Speaker 1: I like this. She kind of was just yeah, it's funny, like that's fine, it's okay.
Speaker 2: I mean, it wasn't funny, but it was there. You know what I will say for Joekoy, I don't think he's done. I think one thing that these Awards shows does drive home to me, Hollywood is such an industry and I mean this in a hopeful way, big swings, big misses, big ups, big downs. I mean, you're looking there. One thing everybody was talking about from the Globes was that Bradley Cooper spent like six years on Maestro and it is getting shut out. It is not winning. He is not winning for it, and or like Joaquin Phoenix is there but not for Napoleon. Napoleon is this huge epic no one's talking about. And it doesn't mean his career is over. It doesn't mean these director's careers are over. It is an industry where you can be completely in the gutter one minute and then all it takes is your next thing to work. So you know, I don't want Joekoy's career to be over for this. He did his best and it was a really tough job. But I am saying I'm done with hosts that awards shows. Just give me two great minutes from a Will Farrell and a Kristen Wig, two great minutes from a Tina Fan and Amy Poehler. Whatever.
Speaker 1: Emmy's are coming up there Monday, but it's weird because the Emmys are being replaced from last year, so because they didn't.
Speaker 2: Host the place, they're delayed these are the Emmys that were supposed to air in like September. Body's mind by the way, Yeah, the writer's strike held them off. So like Jeremy Allen White was nominated for season two of The Bear at the Golden Globes, but a week later he's nominated at the Emmys for season one of The Bear. I think, yes, I could be right.
Speaker 1: By the way, it was better than season two, so he should win both.
Speaker 2: It's screwed up. They were supposed to a This was going.
Speaker 1: To be probably a lot of Ted Lasso, a lot of succession, a lot of which, by the way, kudos to success I mean that was fantastic. I love seeing them being honored because they got there was such a good show. But yeah, you're going to see a lot of that at the Emmys because we're going back a year, which is really weird. Is it even the last year of Ted last year?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I was just going to say, I don't think you're going to see I don't know about a lot of succession.
Speaker 1: God, I don't know, are up And then we have the I don't know if anyone's hosting the Emmys, and then you have the Oscars, and I think Jimmy Kimmel has already been tapped to do the oscars again, which will be really interesting to see how he handles the oscars. But it's a very friendly room for him. Those are his people. We're on a golden theme.
Speaker 2: Well, we wanted to ask you about this because a couple people were dming and asking for your thoughts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've gotten a few of these people have been asking about this moment.
Speaker 2: I guess the Golden Bachelor wedding aired. Yes, Now we have not seen it. Neither of us watched it, so I want to say that disclaimer. We watch it, but people were asking for your thoughts on the fact that someone got engaged at the Golden Bachelor wedding. Now, I will say I think we did a podcast episode about this. We did where we both adamantly said we do not think it is okay for people to get engaged at other people's weddings. I think it steals the spotlight from the bride and groom. There's three hundred and sixty four other days of the year you can do this, so I am not okay with it, but I don't think this was a normal wedding.
Speaker 1: So our genius producer. Easton was there? Easton, you were at the wedding, right, I was. I wasn't at the ceremony. I was on site at the wedding doing some work. Okay, So give us, give us your little play by play because I have not seen it and I have not seen video. But you're saying they asked permission. I understand that they got permission from Gary and Teresa to do that. Was that off air or on air? That was off air? Okay? On air? It didn't. It looked like it was a spur of the moment thing. Yo. Were there cameras, there were a camra Okay, okay, so there is nothing spur of the moment about this. So look, thank you Easton, our intrepid reporter on the scene there breaking news. So okay, here's the thing that you need to know about this moment. And because I know that this young man, I don't know who it was, but he's getting backlash for it because oh, how dare you steal the limelight from this person that was at their wedding? Guys, this was one hundred percent scripted, one hundred percent planned as soon as I did not see it. But this is how I know it's one hundred percent. They said he pulled out a Neil Lane ring. He didn't go buy a Neil Laane ring. Nobody, no one from the batchler goes to buy a Neil Laane ring. That means it was given to him. So that that's the only clue I needed. When I heard Neil Lane, I go, okay, they gave him a ring. One of the producers, this is their job. One of the producers called this young man and said, hey, you know, do you think you would propose the wedding? This would be really great. We'll get it on camera. Well, And I don't know if it aired the wedding, I have no idea. If not, it'll air coming up. You'll see it at one of the specials or the next I don't know what incarnation of the show they're they're showing next. But this was set up by the producers. The the Golden Bachelor guy and his wife. They were told about it so they wouldn't get upset. Everybody knew there were cameras there, it was lit, it was staged. The director ken Fuchs told him exactly where to be, where to stand, where to kneel. Who was behind him, the stage was set, everything about that moment was set up. Of course, I guess the three cameras, they probably had a nice wide shot, maybe even a four with a jib. You're going to see a nice when you see it. You'll see a jib pull back. You'll see a tight shot on him, tight shot on her, the three, the two shot, and then you probably have a nice jib shot. So we had four cameras for this impromptu moment.
Speaker 2: I need someone to go and check and see if he's correct on this.
Speaker 1: To you, that's what it was, which, by the way, is fine. By the way, I'm not poopooing on it. That's what I would do too. That's why I know is I've been a part of these moments, and none of these were surprised. Nothing like that would ever happen as a surprise at our show because, by the way, if it did happen as a surprise, a producer would be fired because if you allowed that to sneak in and we didn't know and we didn't get it on camera, then you failed at your job and you didn't know the story.
Speaker 2: We are here in defense of whoever got engaged, because of course, like again, if it's a regular wedding, different story. This is a televised wedding. This is a show. This is a production. Everything that's happened is choreographed, everything is intentional. You're creating an entertainment show. I'm not saying it was not a real wedding, but it's an entertainment show wedding for people. So that was a beat in the story. It was a plot point.
Speaker 1: Sean and Catherine's wedding. I hosted Jaden Tanner's I officiate, hosted and officiated, you know, same thing with Ashley and JP. So the day before, well several days before, we would do a run through, just kind of a table read. Basically, I would get my book and I would know exactly what's going on. The day before we actually have a rehearsal. So that's just how that's how technical and lined up this is. We would rehearse everything. I would read through the prompter to make sure the prompter's good, all the lights are good. We would test them because you know, usually I would be in different areas. You know, you would start as the host that I would go on stage and make sure those microphones work, to make sure the lines of communication and the lighting look good, and Dennis, our amazing lighting director, would make sure that the shadows are gone and all that. Then we, you know, often we would go inside and have the reception set up. So for like Jayden Tanner, it's like okay, Seal came and played Okay, make room for Seal and the lighting and all that. And so all of this is to say that it is very organized. It's like Lauren said, it's a television show. We don't just cameras up and hope it goes well. You have to produce this stuff. If you leave everybody to their own devices, you're not Just like if somebody brought cameras to our wedding and said, okay, let's just go live. That's not interesting. You don't know who you're following. You know, you would need to mike everybody know what's going on, and you would create the pods of people talking and all that. You would get the shot of Jason and Caitlin together.
Speaker 2: It's actually something I loved about our wedding was the well, no, no, I mean that you were able to produce it a little bit. I did when we went to the location the day before, which I think most bride and grooms do you have a rehearsal dinner or something. You rehearse it a little bit. But we changed the time of the wedding a little bit. We did because Chris was looking at the way the light was hitting and he's like, the light's going to be right in your eyes here, or it's going to be right in the eyes of the crowd. Like and so you were a good.
Speaker 1: Twenty years of television kicked in because we were going to get married right at six o'clock and kind of this golden hour. And I hadn't been to the site yet at that time of day, and so you and I went for that walk through and I stood there and yeah, the sun was just above these oak trees and it was just slamming, and it was in our face, and then it was going to hit everybody watching, because you know, we were going to be backlit. And so I said, you left because you had something to do. I said, I'm going to stay here for another fifteen minutes and wait and see when the sun drops just perfectly. And so I waited for fifteen minutes, and I delayed our wedding. I pushed everything back fifteen to twenty minutes just for the lighting. So ken Fuchs Dennis, for all the years we worked together, you guys, thank you for the wisdom you imparted upon me because it sunk in and it made for a beautiful Piffoto definitely produced our wedding, and things.
Speaker 2: I didn't think about, like the microphone you were great about. I think we were because we did have a videographer, which I would recommend some people skip out on it. I was really glad we did it, and we kind of added it last week.
Speaker 1: I was against it at first, and I'm glad we did it too.
Speaker 2: You know why were you against it?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I guess I just because I want pictures. I love just good pictures, and so I just didn't think of the video of it all.
Speaker 2: But it's expensive. But I think if nothing else, have somebody have a friend in the in your audience, assign them to whip out their cell phone and film the vows, because I know people who didn't do a video and they are so bummed that they weren't able to have like the vows, and also toasts on camera because you kind of black out in the moment and then you sort of want to go back and actually process what people said.
Speaker 1: They get to see, you know, other people watching, and I, you know, especially with Austin, just us walking in together, was seeing that video because you get to see you know, I kind of looked around a little bit, but you don't get to see everybody's faces and you sell people like, oh they were right there. No, So that that was really special. I was glad we did it.
Speaker 2: That was something I didn't think about, was like the microphones that you thought about, like I because in Austin, I think you were miked, but I wasn't. And it was also about like are we whitch mic is just for people to hear versus what's for the videographers? And I remember you were like, it's fine because my Michael pick her up, and I'm like, God, I'm so glad he's here right now. But yeah, what do you think is harder to do? Let's wrap it up on this. Yes, is it harder to produce a live wedding for television with guests and with ceremony and all that, or an award show?
Speaker 1: It should be harder to produce a wedding because you don't have access to to the stars. I mean the award show should be, on its face a layap. You have the biggest stars in the world to play with, show them, show me stars, let me see stars, let me hear stars. It's why the Golden Globes used to be the darling of award season. All the stars are in one hotel. We're in one ballroom. We have champagne and caviat They're loose, they're drinking, they're having fun. Get them on stage, television, film, music. Everybody is gathered together for one big moment. The Oscars is very niche, the Emmys very niche, The Grammy's very niche. The Globes is the one that brings them all together. And they don't care what used to be the Hollywood Forum Press. They would say, we don't care. We want the big stars on our red carpet. We're going to celebrate this movie's. Movies like Barbie used to not be celebrated. But the Globes will embrace that. And I think that that should be a layup to produce. So to fail it is to me a big injustice because I think it should be a great show. Weddings are hard because you only you know. You may have kind of stars getting married, but then you it's hard to capture and.
Speaker 2: Now it's hard to make somebody's cousin like a really great Strea moment. Yeah, and even if it's your funny cousin.
Speaker 1: Sally is funny to us at Thanksgiving, but is she funny to the world.
Speaker 2: You know, the best line of the Globes was, and I guarantee it was improvised, was when Will Wilfarell said, it smells like hot sushi here because it was sent because they were serving sushi for the first time someone would acknowledge that, and that room looked so crowded. I kept thinking, it looks so hot in there. And that's the thing. Put too, You have the most talented people in the world in that room. Yeah, Will Ferrell's one of the funniest people of all time. Give them a presenting moment, give them a little bit to play with, but don't make them stick to the script too much, because those improvised moments are great. Hot sushi. This was the Golden Globes this year, summed up in two words, hot sushi.
Speaker 1: Hot sushi.
Speaker 2: Like it's not it's you eat it, but it wasn't great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you're filling station hot Sushi. But we will see how the rest of the word season goes. And it is good to be back with everybody. I know we're we are already into it. But happy New Year, Happy twenty twenty four. I hope it is a fruitful, healthful, wonderful, successful year for all of us. Thanks for being with us. We will do it again next time. We have a lot more to talk about. Thanks for listening. Follow us on Instagram at the most dramatic pod ever and make sure to write us a review and leave us five stars. I'll talk to you next time.