Speaker 1: Comedy Up Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes Dustin Nickerson April seventeenth through the nineteenth. Then catch the hilarious siblings Leah and Andrew Rudick April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth. And from Dublin, Ireland, It's David Nihil Me second and third Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best in stand up comedy to the area thirty eight years later. Call e five nine two seven one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com Off Broadway.
Speaker 2: This is Kentucky Sports Radio presented by Stockton Mortgage. Now here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: Ah, good morning. It's a great day. Wednesday, April sixteenth, day after Tax Day, Ryleyman Drew Franklin, Shannon the Dude on Kentucky's Sports Radio as always sponsored by the T J. Smith Low It's called TJ. And He'll make them pay. He'll make them pay. Our Clarks pumpish Op phone line will be open today eight five nine two eight oh two two eight seven. We've had some good calls all this week where we've awarded our whiskey thief call the day as well, and the Avision Glass text machine is still my cell phone. If you got that number, won't get to it as much as possible. But guys, it seems like kind of in routine. We start the show with news of somewhat of a disappointment in the recruiting world at this point yesterday Lamar Wickerson all signs pointed towards looked like he was leaning towards Kentucky everything, and then I guess the IU coach Devrees made a probably during this show yesterday, made a trip down to Seam, maybe up the ante a little bit, maybe have added somebody in Lamar Wilkerson's circle to his staff. And Lamar Wikerson announced just after noon he's going to Indiana instead of Kentucky. Drew, what was your take on everything that happened yesterday?
Speaker 4: Well, like most of the fans, I was disappointed, really really really thought he could fill that need of a shooter. You know, a lot of people are saying Pope whiffs and loses. I don't think he's a whiffed or lost that many, but this one is a loss, so there's no sugarcoating it. Indiana closed the deal when Kentucky couldn't thought they were in good shape. On Sunday, you know, he eliminated Auburn and eliminated Old Miss, leaving it just a UK and IU. And you know I thought that were me. I'm a Kentucky fan, but I just in general, if I'm looking at playing at Kentucky or going to Indiana where people go to disappear after having a good visit at Kentucky, I certainly would have picked the Cats. But Wilkerson had other plans. Like you said, it sounds like Indiana offered a little bit more, might have taken care of some people around him with a job. Has been reported a little bit, but I think the most telling thing was he went on field of sixty eight after his commitment and I didn't didn't want to be just one of the guys at Kentucky. I thought that was very telling. Sounds like a guy who's gonna get a lot more shots at Indiana and that's what he was looking for. So, you know, like I said, it's a loss for recruiting, you still have to find a shooter. I thought he would have been a great piece that could have completed the completed the class there's no sugarcoating that. But Indiana just had more to offer for him, and he took that.
Speaker 3: Shannon, what do you think.
Speaker 2: I was shocked? I mean I said yesterday there's no he's going to Indiana. When he narrowed it down, you know, he had what Auburn. I believe Ole Miss was on the list at one point, Indiana, Kentucky. If he narrowed it down to Kentucky and Auburn, I'd say, Okay, well, there's a good chance we're gonna lose this recruit to Auburn team that just went to the Final Four. But now we're talking about choosing Indiana over Kentucky. It has to come down to money, right, it has to And how about the irony in that quote? I just don't want to be another guy. You're gonna be another guy that nobody's gonna know at Indiana. You're gonna be another no name that's gonna sit there on the maybe even on the bench at Indiana. And you know, if you're a college basketball player, isn't the goal to get to the next level. Who do you think is gonna give you the better chance to get to the NBA? Right, Indiana or Kentucky. It's not even close. I mean, Kentucky's track record speaks for itself. I couldn't believe it, But maybe I shouldn't be shocked because I think, you know, in today's world, guys aren't necessarily going to the better school. They're just going They're just following the money, and I can't be mad about that. But I'm looking long term, you're gonna make more money with Kentucky or Indiana. Long term you're gonna be making more money with Kentucky. You just are. You're gonna make money here, and you're gonna make money when you go to the league.
Speaker 3: I agree with both you guys that the quote that he gave to in the field of six YEA with Jeff Goodman, I think speaks volumes and maybe where his head was, he goes, I just don't want to go be another one of the guys. So he's thinking, Okay, imight have to split time with Otega or some of the guys that they already have on staff. I can go to Indiana and be the guy and play with maybe your son. Yet Tright, the coaches sons a shooter too, so maybe it's a little bit of a blessing in disguise that maybe he wouldn't have fit here. I don't know. I'm trying to find a positive in this well.
Speaker 4: I mean, I he would have been a good fit. I mean, that's why I think it's a loss. But some guys just want more shots, and that's something Kentucky can't offer right now. That will be a problem for anyone they recruit for this last spot, as they have a crowded roster right now and no one really knows how it shapes out. So if you're like Lamar Will Wilkerson or anyone who's balled on it, but ball dominant wants a bunch of shots, I could understand why you look somewhere like in Indiana, especially if they're offering more money, because it sounds like they probably promised him getting a certain amount of shot attempts and a piece of the offense, where Kentucky's just not in a place to promise that to anyone with all they have coming back. But uh, Kentucky, you will still have to find a shooter.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what the backup plan is here. There's some names floating around, but this was I've given Pope a little bit of you know, a lot of people saying this guy's a loss just because they zoomed. It's not a loss. This one is definitely a loss. He missed this one. They were all in on Wilkerson, did the whole visit on Sunday, the whole tour, got him to stay longer than I think he planned. Thought they were in a good spot, and then Indiana steals it the last minute. So this one, we are holding the l in this recruitment. Even though big picture you feel that spot you can be fine. It's not like, you know, Lamar Wilkerson was just this world beater that we knew was gonna come and be a star. But he was in need as a shooter that instincts that they missed out on.
Speaker 3: So you agree that Indiana probably gave me more money than Kentucky offered.
Speaker 4: I mean that's what's being reported. I'm just reading what everyone else is reading. And you know, at the end of the day, this can happen with any recruitment. You can have a guy in the final hour and a booster can be like, wait a minute, I don't want him to go there. Sure I can venmo you another whatever, and it can all change on a dime like that, with the money being involved, that might have been what happened here. So it stinks. But back to the portal, gotta find somebody in that spot.
Speaker 3: Do you also agree that they kind of did maybe offer somebody in his inner circle a spot on the staff, maybe not a coach, but on their staff. Also, that's kind of been reported.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's been out there online. You know, that's a popular tactic. Kentucky's lost on that move a lot. Kentucky's not really a school I think will ever really do that. Maybe you can get a job somewhere in town, but put you on staff. I think that's that's been eath Kentucky. But they've I mean they lost recruits under cal that way, some big time recruits. Kate Cunningham. I lost him because I believe his brother someone got a job. But that's a move lots of schools use, and if Indiana did that, it just adds to what they did to still way, I think it'd be mostly money though, if they if they offered more money and guaranteed playing time.
Speaker 3: So what's plan b.
Speaker 4: Uh, Well, I mean they've been in touch with a few people. There's kay tye out North Carolina. You got Ian Jackson who almost committed to col But it doesn't seem like there's a clear plan B. The portal's open for another week. You could always steal someone. You could go European. The Trace and Eagles staff that was committed to South Carolina. He committed two weeks ago. He already decommitted this morning. Poor South Carolina. You get a guy he thinks gonna be the highlight of your porter class. He committed on March thirtieth. In this morning he stepped out. I don't know that Kentucky will be involved because they had a chance to be involved early and didn't really go anywhere. They might give him a call. But he's another name that just popped up.
Speaker 3: Because even though somebody commits to a school, the other schools don't just stop recruiting that kid. I learned that for Vince Merrill. He said, look, well, all you use Wondale Robinson as an example. You know he picks Nebraska, but we still have our communication with Wandale. A couple of years later, Wandell wants to come back home. We're ready for it. We've already been talking to him. So these schools don't quit talk of these guys until they get enrolled. So I can see why the guy at South Carolina even committed to South Carolina. I'm sure he was. Any other schools were still in his ear for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this just happened before the show. I've been in the dentist chair all morning. You like, my teeth still got a little floor on in there?
Speaker 3: Did you go d Justice?
Speaker 6: Nat?
Speaker 4: Did go?
Speaker 3: Dodtr Thompson?
Speaker 4: I did talk. We talked to a little Lamar Wilkerson as he was checking out my X rays.
Speaker 3: Doctor Thompson, former Kentucky Wesleyan baseball here.
Speaker 4: By the way, you know, even even my dentist was disappointed. He wanted to talk about Lucas oil. He was there for that one too, so not it was like going to the dentist and then also adding some UK losses on top of the dentist discussion there. But anyway, I didn't the Eagle staff. Things kind of new to me. I don't know what's being reported of where he may go, and I don't even know if Kentucky, if that is a serious option, but at is wild he was committed to South Carolina for two weeks and has already reopened. It just chaotic times we're.
Speaker 3: In so a lot of people were coming at us, mad at us because we missed. We were kind of saying, yesterday, it looks everything looks good. You know, I think we're gonna get this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's our fault. It's our fault because we're involved in the recruit process. I think it's just a different world we're living in and things can change so fast because it's a lot of it is about money. Okay, we put this like in the real estate world. You know, we reach agreement on the sell a house. Before the contract gets signed, somebody offers me more money. Guess what offer we're taking. We're not taking that first one we agree to. We're taking the more money offer. I think that's we're just seeing that a lot in this in IOW world we're living in right now.
Speaker 4: I still think you need a fire text machine guy. I think he's he's he's letting you down. I don't know who your scoop is, but I think he might need to be put to the side.
Speaker 3: Failed his information is still really good. He's and he's really upset that it's kind of paying out this last couple of times, but I still trusting.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, maybe take a few plays off from him. But yeah, you're right. I mean, as I said, at any moment, you know, a booster could get word of well I don't want to go there, I want him here. I'll go find you a little more money, and at the final hour you can call up and say, hey, they're offering this, let me put a little more on top of it. And that can change everything. That's just college sports these days.
Speaker 3: Shannon, it's it's this is something I think we've got to get used to that until they actually are on campus, it could change. In what changed in half a day yesterday.
Speaker 2: Yep, players go to the highest bidder, and you know, we can say that we are gonna get guys that want to come and play for Kentucky just because they love Kentucky. And maybe that's true for some guys, but I think the majority of players now have less loyalty to a brand and more loyalty to the money. Oh yeah, you know, unless it's your absolute dream school, are you going to turn down less money to go to that school versus another school over here that maybe you had no intentions of going to but they're offering a big fat number, And especially if you're a player that doesn't necessarily know what your future is going to hold as to whether or not you would be projected in the NBA Draft, you got to cash in while you can, and especially right now. There's no better time to be a college player than right now, right now, in this very moment, maybe ever in history, even go you know, and going definitely in history, but maybe even going forward into the future is what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, Shannon Dright. There have been guys that like, maybe pick a school for less money because they want to play for that school. And Kentucky's one of those schools. You could probably do that, you know, because you're playing for Kentucky, Kansas, Nebraska, I mean North Carolina. Why said Nebraska? North Carolina got wond Delle Robinson on my mind at Duke. But a lot of times though they're going to pick the money and play at a school like Indiana over Kentucky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I don't want this to come off as a sore loser, Wilkerson. We'll just say talk about in general. You know, Pope wants this certain culture you have to buy into and not every guy out there is going to buy into it. Maybe Wilkerson's that way and what he said, I didn't want to be one of the guys. So I know Kentucky wants the best of the best at every position, but maybe in the long run it wouldn't have worked out. I'm not saying that with him specifically. I don't know him. I don't know what he's thinking. But there are guys out there that Kentucky contacts that could end up being a problem if they're truly just looking for money and shots, because that's not really going to fly here. And what's Pope selling and the thing we liked about the team so much last year as they're all bought in, right, it seems the guys he's got in right now are bought in, but that not every player out there wants to buy in to the front of the Jersey.
Speaker 2: Totally agree with what Drew's saying. Sometimes attitude goes a lot farther than what how many stars they had coming out of high school.
Speaker 3: You know we saw that last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, yeah, exactly. I mean Mark Pope took guys and threw them together, and you know, was one step away from the Elite eight in his first year, and.
Speaker 4: With the portal, A lot of these guys they're not going to the NBA. You know, I don't know what Wilkerson's future is. Again leave him out. So I not sounding like I'm just being a sore loser here, but just in general, their portal bag is their bag. They'll be overseas maybe, but a difference in five hundred thousand or a million or one year of college that is their NBA. A lot of them have to focus on the money and put the rest of the stuff aside.
Speaker 3: It is worth noting that at this time last year, Mark Pope had zero players on his roster, zero and the like Shannon said, he didn't it pretty good one game away from the Elite eight.
Speaker 4: I still love the roster too. Actually I wanted Wilkerson certainly, and they need shooting. The back court needs another piece, whether it be a backup point guard just a guy coming make shots. But overall, I still like it. You know, Quainting's with his Acl'm my liking it is assuming he's backing healthy by SEC play. That's that's one kind of iffy situation. But otherwise I like everything to this point as long as they get the last piece that fits.
Speaker 3: So you miss out on Wickerson, but you're still happy with the roster, and as a roster you think can still be successful, knowing not anybody else, you're still feel good about it.
Speaker 4: Well, you can go to the last year's portal and look at all the people Kentucky missed on and you're like, oh, you know, if I missed that one, wish I had that one. Then you look at what they did. They didn't really pan out. I mean, there's there was a lot of misses last year, and you're all right, you missed several guys earlier.
Speaker 2: Dent.
Speaker 4: I know we wanted real bad Yaxel. We still don't know he'll do.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 4: Stinks to lose those guys, but overall, I still think Pope's done a good job putting things together. He still just needs to get one more piece. You got a week to get one out of the portal, and if that doesn't work, maybe a guy that's considering the draft, or heck, we'll go back to Europe. Your boy Andreas and Croatia. He got any friends that can shoot. There's there's still a few options, but he will need to move quickly. If he's looking for a college guard because that that door will close at the end of the week.
Speaker 3: There were over two thousand players that entered the transfer portal, two thousand and fifty. Out of that twenty and fifty, only three hundred and ninety three are currently committed. There's still a lot of players out there. Fish in the sea, there's a lot of players out there.
Speaker 4: So this one just thinks that they seem to be all in on him. They did, and I don't know if there was a big backup plan. It gave him the whole tour that they were confident. This one just thinks because it is, it does go in the loss category.
Speaker 3: And it kind of stinks. He picked Indiana especially.
Speaker 4: Well play him. He'll be in roup next year, that's right. He better not even look at Keenland out the plane window when they're landing. Don't even get near it. Take the long way around. You are not allowed near Keenland. Lamar Wilkerson through it was your.
Speaker 3: Tweet, Drew's tweet and said that the horse was going to be there. They're going to have the.
Speaker 4: Horse out of course, magnificentgo oh, magnifico. Make him the Why can a horse be a Why what.
Speaker 2: Would you go to say, Shannon, I was gonna say, already forgot his name. He's just another guy to me, just another guy.
Speaker 3: I don't want to go be another guy. Well, guess what You're gonna be another guy up there? All right? Ryan Drew and Shannon here, Kentucky Sport Trader. We got Mario here. He had a big day yesterday. He was with Mitch McConnell yesterday and Louisville.
Speaker 2: I saw that.
Speaker 3: I know Mitch, they were like brothers. Did you see that? They're like all buddy buddy.
Speaker 4: Now I'm surprised he's here. I thought he was just gonna follow Mitch around.
Speaker 2: Matt's to write a book about Mario.
Speaker 3: We'll take a break, come back. The phone line will be open all day eight five nine two eight two two eight seven. Ryan Drew and Shannon we right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Welcome back Kentucky Sports Radio, Ryan Drew and Shannon. Matt still in Amsterdam. He'll be back on Monday. Uh doing the show Chaos Bar and Girl. I'm assuming, I'm assuming we'll be there Monday, so we'll welcome in back.
Speaker 7: Then.
Speaker 4: He did a spaces yesterday.
Speaker 3: He did do a Twitter space yesterday. I did. I didn't know what was going on till was over. Did you catch any of it?
Speaker 4: A little bit of it. He did a little bit of Wilkerson. Then people asked some questions. Yeah, talked about the Reds. You know, the Reds one it about the Reds, the Reds of one six.
Speaker 3: That was me broke some breaking something, Mario, What did you do?
Speaker 4: Was that important? Whatever? I just kicked. Okay, that's my bat.
Speaker 3: The Reds have won six of seven since he's been gone. I think that's not a coincidence.
Speaker 4: It's gonna stay gone.
Speaker 3: I think maybe the Reds were gonna pay for him to stay over in Amsterdam.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they won again last night. How'd your Braves do last night?
Speaker 2: I don't think they played last night. Oh I think they were all No, that's they played. They lost again.
Speaker 3: They uh uk baseball another another walk off bunt win. So two of their last three games they've won on a walk off bunt. This was like a safety scree squeeze.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: They had the winning run on third safety squeeze. The third base became charging in dough and the ball hit on the heel of his glove, Shannon, I mean he dove made the play, but the ball hill on the heel of his glove and kicked out. Cats win another come from behind win. We're not coming behind me in an exciting win.
Speaker 2: Let's pick ka Tucky's best offense. Just bunt the ball. You know, something that you don't see in many forms of baseball anymore these days? But yeah, that's I'd like to know. Is there, Like, when was the last time Kentucky baseball, or any team for that matter, one back to back bunts, walk off bunts.
Speaker 3: Walk off game buns. No way, this doesn't happen this day and age. You're right, all right? Eight five nine two eight h two two eighty seven. Who's our first caller today? Let's go to Lee Lee? Go ahead, Lee.
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, I know I'm an old guy, and I think this college money just getting way out of way out of kilters, not for what they wanted. But I understand the kids are gonna get paid. My question is I have a friend who played professional sports, and whenever he traveled, he had to pay taxes in every state, Like if he played the Cincinnati Regie paid Ohio state tax because he's an entertainer. He went to California, you had to pay back California state tax. Are they going to start making these kids pay taxes on because of their entertainers they're you know, if Kentucky's playing in Texas, are they gonna have to pay tax Texas state tax on that money they're getting paid because they're an entertainer, just like Garth Brooks pays state tax when he goes and plays at different states. And if they are, it's gonna get really crazy because most of that money they got, it's going to go to their agent and the paying taxes. And I think they need to also make the kids be on track to graduate it because they got to have something to fall back on because not all these kids are going to play pro sports. And I'd just like to hear your all's comment.
Speaker 3: I appreciate Lee. You know, Matt has talked about that. You know, when it gets to that point where if they're considered employees, they signed contracts, they're gonna have to pay taxes, and I guess they would probably like an entertainer they I guess. I guess they would have to play in every pay in every state they play in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never considered ready mentioned the state by state because I know athletes have to do that. Yeah, pro golfers, they're paying in every state they go to Shannon. Your wrestlers, they probably have the hardest being in a different state every night. But uh, heck, they probably pay taxes in all fifty states. I've never considered that with the athletes. I know a lot of them already get a little blind side as taxes is as it is here recently. I know, call and I assume Pope then make you know tax education a big part of all this, that these guys are getting all this money, Like, hey, don't be surprised when April rolls around, because you do owe taxes all in all this. But I never considered about if you're playing at Tuscaloosa, if state by state it would be that way too. I guess I assume it would be. Every other sport does that.
Speaker 2: I'm not an accountant, But wouldn't the money be coming from the state of Kentucky that they're getting paid for, so I don't know that they would have to pay in every state. True, if the money is coming from Kentucky, you know, like when they go to play to Florida play in Florida, Florida. The state of Florida is not paying Kentucky players, are they? So it's coming from Kentucky. I would think they only pay Kentucky tax That's why you're our tax expert, right, I mean, maybe I'm wrong about that.
Speaker 3: Again, I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know my taxes yet, so I don't I don't know. I don't even know my own taxes.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, Kentucky got the exemption you got until no vembits taxes.
Speaker 4: I'm exempt. Look at me. Look at the smile. This is the smile of someone who's exempt.
Speaker 3: What are the audience?
Speaker 4: I know, taxes in general have bond sided athletes already, they're new to this. That didn't pus all the side? And then a taxman came calling, What.
Speaker 3: Are the odds that Matt got his taxes done before he went down zero?
Speaker 4: Usually most years his accountant calls me and says, can you have him call me? You can't track him down?
Speaker 3: Got stuff?
Speaker 4: I got it, But then I didn't get that call this year, So maybe he did.
Speaker 3: Maybe he did?
Speaker 9: Uh?
Speaker 3: Eight two two eight seven? Who's next gen?
Speaker 10: Is?
Speaker 3: Scott Scott, go ahead, Scott.
Speaker 5: Hey, goodboy, guys. A quick question on the ni L we may go out like sign autographs. Do they also get paid on top of the nil and do like autograph signings and everything?
Speaker 2: Boy, we asked he's saying, like, you know, you're getting Ryan Lemons coming to play for Kentucky. We're gonna give you a million dollars, but then you're also going to go out and sign autographs. Do they get He's asking, do they get paid on top of that million dollars when they go out and sign each autograph?
Speaker 3: Yes, that included in the no. I thank you that that's extra man. If you do a camp, autograph sessions, whatever, that's extra money in your pocket.
Speaker 4: That'll all be in their contracts, some of them when they signed these two million dollar deals, it might say you're expected to do ten camps, yes, all right, five signings that that would be a case by case.
Speaker 5: Okay, I follow up question to that now, like the guy that's just what the Indiana? Do you think he could make more money sign an autograph to Indiana or you make more money.
Speaker 2: That's that's a rhetorical question that doesn't even need to be answered.
Speaker 5: He just gonna.
Speaker 3: All right, appreciate Scott. Yeah, he just didn't want to be in one of the guys here in Lexington just doesn't want to be successful and make money in autograph sessions.
Speaker 4: And he did say he's taking Indiana back to the top. I mean, how many people have tried to take Indiana back to where it not where it belongs, because it belongs in hell, but uh, back to where it was in the eighties.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I've got some of my family and friends are pounding their chest, like you know, HELLI beat Kentucky out for this recruit. We're back. We're back, baby.
Speaker 4: I remember when Mike Woodson got hired just a few years ago. Mike Woodson, we're coming home. We have all this ni O money. Look what that got him. They're always back, always back.
Speaker 3: Eight five, nine, two to eighty seven. Who's next, Shannon? Real quick, let's go to Liam, Liam, Go ahead, Liam?
Speaker 5: Who are the four mL m vps whose last name started with R?
Speaker 8: This was the Red Scoreboards stumper on the radio last night.
Speaker 4: You all know me in the Red Scoreboards. I'll set this one out at.
Speaker 3: Four history National League MVPs, National League MVPs name.
Speaker 5: Started with R with R.
Speaker 3: How much time we got to think about this?
Speaker 2: Not enough? We're about to go to the break.
Speaker 3: Okay, well we'll think about it during the break and we'll come back. Alex national League?
Speaker 4: Was he never in the National League ever?
Speaker 3: No, well, we'll try to come up with somewhere without cheating.
Speaker 6: Liam.
Speaker 3: We're gonna go look him up. We'll be back. This is Kentucky's Ports Radio.
Speaker 4: T J Smith, Personal injury Attorney, TJ. He'll make them pay.
Speaker 2: Now more of Kentucky Sports Radio, present it by Stockton Mortgage. Here's Matt Jones.
Speaker 3: All right, we spent the whole commercial break trying to answer Liam's trivia question. We didn't cheat. Shannon and I are trying to come up with four players who won the National League Most Valuable Player award whose last name started with R. We've got three on our list, Drew went.
Speaker 4: I have the answers in Wikipedia.
Speaker 3: Okay, here's our three guesses, and I know one of them is wrong, but I couldn't think of anybody else with R unless you got another one.
Speaker 2: Channon, No, nothing comes to mind.
Speaker 3: Frank Robinson, I feel good about him. That's one correct, Jackie Robinson, though there's two okay, we're two little bell Mario make a bell noise?
Speaker 5: There?
Speaker 2: It is minute?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 3: But then I wrote, and I know this is wrong, but I couldn't think of anybody else, Nolan Ryan, So we need two more, and we couldn't think of who they were.
Speaker 4: You have to go pretty far back. There's only been one since nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Who's that one?
Speaker 11: That is?
Speaker 4: Uh, Jimmy Rollins from the first Yeah, never the one I said that you probably wouldn't remember winning the VP. The other it's also a Red. There's two Reds on the list. Pete Rose, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Pete Rose.
Speaker 3: What don't we think of that?
Speaker 4: It's probably while the Reds had it as a tribute question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think even I Frank Robinson was a Red when.
Speaker 4: He was unlested does a Red on the pedia?
Speaker 3: So we got two and a half. We had to get a little, a little hint, but we got two and a half. Al right, eight five nine, two eight two to eighty seven, Ryan Drew and Shannon here kN take a sports radio Who's next?
Speaker 2: Bruce?
Speaker 4: Bruce?
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Bruce.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The it's much worse than just the state. They're gonna have to pay the local municipality payroll tax either or Kentucky. Their employer may pay it, but it's going to get paid.
Speaker 3: I know, yeah, they'll get their money. How there's no doubt you're if you're an employee, they're gonna get their money.
Speaker 9: You know, you've got Lection and Fayette two and a quarter percent, and it depends upon where they playing their residence. They may also have to pay another half percent in school tax. So and the pros typically they pro rated across the games.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, Bruce, we appreciate it. I mean, this is some technical stuff that's way over my pay grade. That's why Matt's so good at this. He knows the answers to a lot of these is going.
Speaker 2: To be a ten ninety eight or a ten ninety nine ANEC like, yes.
Speaker 4: Sure for these answers, I usually just email everything in.
Speaker 3: Uh the first segment we went all around the UK roster. We didn't failed dimension I should have otega oh Way did announced yesterday he was going to test the NBA waters Is there any concern that maybe he might get good news and find out he's a second round pick and not come back to Kentucky.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not gonna guarantee he's back. Uh, you know, I've said it yesterday. I fully expected him to go in there enter the draft as he should. He should, he should go that for the experience and the feedback. I zero for sent surprise he put his name in. Now will he get the feedback he wants? I still think that's unlikely. But until he gets up there and goes through it, I you know, I don't know what will happen to those interviews and the private workouts he has. He's not on any of the draft boards, so he would have to have a pretty huge climb to get to a position where I think he'd leave. Like, I think he'd have to be a first rounder. He's gonna make so much more money at Kentucky than he would second team, you know, on a two way or playing in the G League, So I would I would not expect him to stay in the draft. But I'm not surprised at all he entered the draft, and I would have entered the draft prober him. I think if I weres in his team, I would have said you should enter the draft. So the news is exactly what should have happened. Now we just kind of wait and see what he does next. But I can't imagine he'll get the feedback he wants to get up to the first round. He'll make two or three million at Kentucky, think make him one of the highest paid places in college basketball. So why wouldn't you want to run that back instead of, you know, being a second round pick or even worse than trying to play your way in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it. I mean, unless he's projected at first round, which he's not going to be, he's going to come back to Kentucky make more money here. Is there a chance that maybe he does come back and have a really great season and play his way into potentially being in the conversation to be a late first round pick. Sure, and I think that's why he comes back to Kentucky for another season.
Speaker 3: And to add to this, I do believe other teams have called him and tried to entice him to maybe with more money, why don't you leave Kentucky and come here to I'm just gonna use Indiana. I think that's happened. But I think the fact that he is not into the portal, I think he does want to be here, So I guess it depends on what kind of feedback he gets at the NBA camp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, some guys have into the draft and the portal at the same time. Even Yaxell did that. There's been several others where they say, I'm going to the Draft, but I'm also going to the portal. Always said I'm leaving my keeping my NCAA eligibility. He didn't officially enter the portal. I guess someone could still call him and blow his mind with a big offer and steal him away. It's not a sure thing he's back, but I'm still pretty confident he would be back. I just don't think the NBA is therefore m yet.
Speaker 3: So what's the latest with Yaks. He's just going to try the NBA waters and then then I.
Speaker 4: Guess he's got a pretty high stock. I mean, now that Kentucky didn't get him, I think we're all rooting for him to go to the NBA and leave uh Michigan in a bad spot. Michigan ended up being they've got one of the better portal classes, spending the most money this year. Dusty may up. There's putting a lot together, But I Yaxell could end up being a first round pick. That's where he's projected, and if that's the case, I think he should go.
Speaker 3: Eight five nine two O two two eighty seven. Who's next?
Speaker 2: Shan Is go to Isaiah?
Speaker 3: Isaiah, Go ahead, Isaiah.
Speaker 11: Hey, guys, hope you all are having a good day. I know, I'll just kind of spoke on it. But what do you think the season trajectory looks like without Otaga? If you are to stay, and what are some names we would have on our list to replace him?
Speaker 3: Appreciate the phone call. If if Otaga doesn't come back, then there's definitely a big hole there at the two.
Speaker 4: That's a whole other conversation. If you don't have our Way back, the shooter is is more of a one Kentucky for he has one of perfect roster. We want two of everything. Kentucky's in a pretty good spot as it is. We'd still want to add some shooting, but that's all considering o Way is back and leading your team. If he goes somewhere else, then you got problems.
Speaker 3: And we still have Colin Chandler, Jasper Johnson, Trent Noah, Travis Perry. Is not like you know, there's guys that have proven they can be a great shooter, and.
Speaker 4: Of that group, I still think Chandler is gonna make the biggest jump and be the biggest contributor. I mean, I Perry might have to play some backup point guard now that a Kayt and lewis left, and you know Jasper He's highly rated and has a lot of potential. I think he's got to get little more physical. He didn't play much in the Hoops Summit last weekend, but of that group, I think Chandler's the one to watch as a big contributor.
Speaker 3: Travis Perry is the better shooter than what we saw him this year. I know people kind of got down on him, but he's a much better shooter, much better score than we saw this year.
Speaker 4: He was just asked to do so much more than he anyone expected of him in a freshman year. I mean, he's having to guard Mark Sears and All American, one of the best players in the conference, and his shot wasn't what we needed it to be late in the year. But he was taking on a big load for a freshman who when he committed to Kentucky under Caliperry probably wouldn't even played in his freshman year and suddenly he's the starting point guard. So I think it's a little unfair to close the book or make any big judgments about what Travis can be based on what he did last year because he was asked to take on a lot in that spot. Next year, you keep low healthy. I worry about Travis's defense in the SEC. It can improve, but he'll need to knock down shots when he's in because that's why he's there.
Speaker 3: And Colin Chandlery, we got to remember, you know, he didn't play basketball for two years before he got on campus last year, and he still made huge strides throughout the season. I agree with you. I think we'll see just as biggest jump from him next year.
Speaker 4: Well, it took him a while to get going. I mean even in middle of the SEC play. They were games at least offensively where you're like, oh, I don't know if this guy can be in there right now. He looks out of place, looks uncomfortable. But the moment he flipped that switch and turned that light on, we started seeing a big rushing there's the season ended, and then you got him hitting step back threes, shooting from the March Badness logo. Something something clicked and you can only expect it to get better with the whole summer of that and going into his sophomore year where he's got a little bit of experience behind him.
Speaker 3: So would you feel comfortable if he ended up being the backup point guard?
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's not. I mean, he's all of them are better off the ball. But if he went into the summer knowing I'm the backup point guard, he practiced there, got a little more work on that spot, he would be fine for ten to fifteen minutes. But you're still in a spot where you got to keep Low healthy. If you have a Butler situation with him, then I think you're in big trouble.
Speaker 3: And really what other team usually you think back with the past Kentucky team with cal Marcus t played the whole year at point guard, Brandon I played the whole year point guard, John Wall played the whole year point guard. You don't have the situation where you're going down to your fourth point guard that Kentucky had to do this year, and.
Speaker 4: With Butler this I don't think this will be the case with Low. He wasn't just the point guard. He was the leader leader, even in the summer in the interviews they're talking about just vocally. He was taken over and practice and kind of a coach on the floor. Maybe Low will be that. I don't know if we can expected of it, but Butler's experience was invaluable last year. It was very obvious when he was not playing that had affected everyone, especially on the defensive end. They really needed him out there.
Speaker 3: All right, Chan, it's getting in the phone call? Who he got?
Speaker 2: Tim?
Speaker 7: Tim?
Speaker 3: Go ahead? Tim?
Speaker 10: Yet, Hey, guys, don't you think those West Coast teams are at a disadvantage? Are you gonna pay a kid a million bucks in California? Million dollars comes dressed as four hundred thousand dollars when you get it checked, like Florida with no state of income tax. I mean, I'm going to be heavy on Florida if I'm in the port.
Speaker 4: I thought that when Dent went to UCLA, I was thinking, Hey, Pope, has anyone mentioned this kid that if the bags are the same and he's in California, those bags are not the same. But that's just another thing all these guys have to consider.
Speaker 3: And they they've got to consider that now. And if that ends up being the fact, Yeah.
Speaker 10: THEMDAL fixed the one and done problem. This is the first time in twenty years when I haven't been able to recite the top two kids in high school. And I don't care anymore.
Speaker 3: Appreciated t him, Appreciate the phone call. I mean, these are just issues now that have come up. When you start paying these players, and if they start signing contracts and they become employees, what about health benefits? You know, they got it. A lot of things a factor into this. Now.
Speaker 4: That's all that house settlement should get wrapped up soon, maybe even this week. Speaking about portal and contracts, Shannon, I feel like this is something you were taking gleean Nico at Tennessee seems to have made a terrible move. Oh, he is not getting paid by anyone. No one is touching it. Even Tulane said, Nah, I think we're all right. He could be the example of why you don't want to get too greedy in and iamn He might end up with half of what he was getting at Tennessee when he asked for more. That's what he's getting two point five at Tennessee, one A four And now they're saying we might give you a million. Maybe if we feel like.
Speaker 2: It all comes down to greed. I mean, that's what it is. You're making two million dollars, you're a starting quarterback for Tennessee, you're playing in the SEC, the best conference to play football in, and then you let greed take over and you want to go somewhere else. And good for Tennessee for finally drawing a line and going, no, we're gonna call your bluff. We're not gonna pay you more than that. Go somewhere else. And that's what's gonna happen. He's gonna end up maybe making less than half of what he was making at Tennessee to play for a worse school.
Speaker 4: And he was on draft boards, he played in the playoff last year. Yeah, one of the featured quarterbacks of the SEC. And he's wanted another mill and a half and he could end up anywhere.
Speaker 3: Even Paul Finbaum said this week, I wouldn't touch him. I think a lot of schools are that way. They don't want to touch that of that guy.
Speaker 4: Right now, I almost wish the coaches on the back end. I've made up the scenario in my head where they've all just agreed, make an example of this one. So this won't happen again to any.
Speaker 3: Of the rest of us.
Speaker 4: Just let Nico float around, let him go to Jucco. Just someone needs to might happen. Yeah, And I would feel bad for him a little because the sounds like a lot of this was his dad, and you hate when parents are derailing kids careers, like he's just done with this one. But I mean, Nico could to end up anywhere and he's not going to get anything close to what he was already waking at Tennessee.
Speaker 3: He reached out to Oregon right even in Oregon said no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Carolina, that's his list was like two Lane in North Carolina yesterday. They're out. Teams are just gonna wait until he's on fire sale. He'll be at the little rack up by the cash register for sale, and that's when someone will pick up on him.
Speaker 3: You know, Like Bob Dylan said, Shannon, seasons they are a changing, that's right, and so are the rates. If you bought a home in the last couple of years, maybe it's time to look at your home home loan to see if it's a good time to pull the refine. If you're thinking of refinancing your mortgage, talk to the people at Stockton Mortgage ask for a free mortgage review. It started at stockton dot com because the times they are a change. In Shannon, you.
Speaker 2: Said the seasons are a change. I don't think. Bob Dylan said that the seasons are a changing. He said times are a changing. Well, he also said seasons are a changing. The remix for or refinance transactions.
Speaker 3: Be aware that refinancing your existing loan, your total finance charges may be higher over the life of your loan. In MLS A two five nine equhalthy Lender, MLS Consumer Access dot Org'll right back, RYANDU and Shannon, I'll gonn take you to portraying.
Speaker 2: Or seasons.
Speaker 3: See I see that.
Speaker 2: I heard that.
Speaker 3: I don't even say the seasons are a change. And did you guys see the movie.
Speaker 4: I'm on my sixth watch of it. And by that I mean I turn it on, I fall asleep in fifteen minutes, and the next night I go back to it, and I fall asleep in fifteen minutes. I'm about halfway through it across a week of trying.
Speaker 2: That's about story for every movie. I can't I've got to the age, or maybe not the age I've been doing this for a long time. You know, sit there at night, try to watch a movie. I'm out first fifteen minutes. I've started probably a million movies and got it.
Speaker 3: It's good, though you guys try to fight fight through it because it really gets good.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I love it because the area it's in, as we're always going New York and stay like, even though it's dated, I recognize a lot of the places. The only reason I really wanted to watch it was to just see that part of New York back in the day. But I do this with all shows, all movies. I'll wait until way too late start them. It'll be midnight and I'm like, yeah, i'll watch a movie at midnight. So give me another week and i'll finish the back half of it. It's good so far, though I haven't enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: We do need to mention that Kenny Brooks has added a new player to his rocks. Looks like maybe the heir apparent to Georgia Amore at point Guard. Tony Morgan transferred from Georgia Tech. She was an All ACC player the last two years, so she's a player, and I guess she's got to fill some big shoes. If she's gonna be the point guard for Georgia.
Speaker 4: She certainly does big get for Kenny two time all ACC. You know, it's hard to compare anyone to George after what she did and going six the other night, but this does look like to be the point of the future point guard of Kentucky women's basketball going back and get another one out of the ACC. So that's a good get looking forward to everything they got going on. It also dropped like ten minutes after the Wilkerson news, so the graphic went up. It kind of threw people off because just said committed with Kentucky logo, So it's kind of like a women's basketball swooped in and gave bb In some good news right after the other way. But no looking forward to her addition. I watched the highlight. She looks good, looks like he's a player.
Speaker 3: So that's three players who have joined the team and be a transfer Tony Morgan, Josie Gilvin, and Asia Boone. Uh so he's doing what you know, hitting the transfer probably lost a couple of players of the portal, so I'm sure they'll be right back to where they were last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, while you all were oute sunbathing together. We had Tianni Key on the show last week. She's a lot of fun. She'll be a big good She was very good. I wish we could have had a little bit longer. She had to go to class, and uh, I'm not mistaken. That might have been the Jade and Quainton's chaos to day. We were we were, uh, we're a little out of it that day. But no, she was great. She's gonna be a star next year. They have some good returners going in with uh uh his portal editions hear and strack and pass it to be a good good group.
Speaker 3: Eight five nine, O two two eight seven, Who's next? Shannon free Bird, free Bird, go ahead, free bird?
Speaker 6: Shut out my dad and heaving today's his birthday. He loved to touch the eight sports and everything. And I've got a comment and a question. How can the NCAA be so freaking stupid that not knowing all of this crap is going to go on get into court. We don't know when this decision is going to be made, how that is going to affect everything. And you know, you guys may feel differently, but I'm just sick of this stuff and Scooper scuttle button, Brian, Uh, I don't know if this is true. If y'all look it up, who is the stud defensive back at Alabama. Somebody put on Facebook that he turned down like two hundred million dollars from Texas.
Speaker 3: Four hundred billion dollars, billion dollars. Thank you, free, very appreciate it. Yeah, you know, Matt, Matt said for a year, don't believe all these money figures that you're hearing. And we've even seen it here a Kentucky we heard guys are getting this and that not even close to what they're really actually getting. Two hundred millions a little out there. I know this kid is like supposed to be next Dion Sanders, He's supposed to be so good. But uh, at corner, but that's ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Sounds like doctor Evil negotiating there with the with the two hundred million. Also, respectfully to the caller, if anything says I saw it on Facebook, it's not real that nothing on Facebook.
Speaker 3: Is I believe it.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're actually our audience here for this discussion, but no, I don't think that's the case. One didn't have another part of his caller, did I dream then no, all right, as you were.
Speaker 3: You said, he said the NCAA is stupid.
Speaker 4: They oh yeah, no, I was gonna add to that. I completely agree with you. They had years, years to get a system a place that was fair, and they ignored it because they're all greedy. They wanted the players to have zero and here's your free apple in your textbook. They could have gotten way out in front of this and put a system in place that everyone had to abide by, but they waited way too late and just all hell broke loose and that's where we are now. In course you're having to get involved, but the n CUAA dropped the ball on this a long time ago. This is all on them.
Speaker 3: Who's next, Shannon, Dave? Dave, go ahead, Dave, afternoon, fellas.
Speaker 7: How y'all doing?
Speaker 3: How are you, Dave?
Speaker 7: I'm hanging in there like a hairing a biscuit sellers. I got a comment about this Wilkson kid turning Kentucky down, and I've said this about every player's ever turn Kentucky players down playing for Kentucky, and I've said this whole comment. If you don't want to play with the best, you get beat like the rest go big Blue. We're gonna whoop them. Let's go talk to you guys.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. Dave. Yeah, I mean that. Drew pointed out they have to play at ropp Arena in December this year, so Hill, I'm sure he'll get a nice, warm welcoming everybody.
Speaker 4: What kind of reception you may go get on December twentieth round Christmas time.
Speaker 3: Shann hit us with a sponsor before we get out of here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the eighty two game NBA season is done and we're ready for the playoffs. Had some drama last night with Trey Young. And you can get on the playoff action at DraftKings sportsbook and official sports betting partner of the NBA. Super easy to get started for first timers. You could try betting on something as simple as picking a team to win. And when you sign up as a new customer use promo code to KSR. You bet five dollars, get two hundred and bonus bets only on DraftKings promo code KSR. If you have a gamling problem, call one eight hundred Gambler eighteen plus Kentucky only. Eligibility restricts to apply in new customers only bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issues for additional charms were responsible gaming resources see Dking dot co. Slash Audio.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back with hour number two Kentucky Sports Radio Don't Go Away.