Speaker 1: Hey, folks, it's Lyle. Before we get into the episode, I wanted to talk to you guys about a new thing I'm doing where you can help support my lizard endeavors by becoming a Premium member of this podcast over at Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com. Premium members, or gek Legends as I call them, we'll be able to get every new and existing episode of Therapy Gecko completely ad free. They'll also get a bonus podcast episode once a month, a bonus live show episode once a month from all of the live shows I've been doing around the world, a member's only live stream once a month. Plus you'll also support my ability to continue, hopefully doing this podcast for a long time, doing it around the world, and also supporting my ability to occasionally go eat a slice of pizza. Go to Therapy Gecko dot supercast dot com or find the link in the episode description to become a gek Legend. Today. All right, let's get into the episode.
Speaker 2: All from West.
Speaker 1: Hello, what's your name, Wes Wesh? What's going on with you? Wes?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm I'm laying on the couch, uh, recovering some surgery.
Speaker 1: Oh, what kind of surgery?
Speaker 3: Did you get oh I had a vsectam.
Speaker 1: You had a vasectom yep? And how is how are how are your balls? The vasectomy is in the balls?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah? Yeah. What they do is they just snip, snip, and then you have no swimmers.
Speaker 1: So how long How long does the surgery take?
Speaker 3: I mean it's more of a procedure. It's like ten, ten to fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, look percee. Okay, so it's a procedure. It sounds surgical. They're going, they're cutting open your ball and they're like they take a This is how this is in my mind. Whatever sect to me is they cut your balls open and they take like a hose and they basically do liposuction on your balls. But for come, how how medically accurate is that? On a scale from one to ten?
Speaker 3: That's probably like, you know, you had everything except the going in part, like you know, like accurate, but then once you're inside it is all wrong.
Speaker 1: Okay, so they do they do make an incision on your ball. I mean I assume you were asleep for this, unless if you were like no, no, keep me awake.
Speaker 3: I want to know. No, you're not You're you're awake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're awake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yep. You're sitting there with your legs open while urologist does this to you.
Speaker 1: Really so they make an ensue where do they make the incision?
Speaker 3: It's like right down the middle, right.
Speaker 1: Down the middle of your but like of your taints or of your.
Speaker 3: Balls, of your balls.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you were awake when somebody sliced your balls open?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How was that sounds really painful? Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you have you're you're you're kind of sitting there and then they like pull the tube that connects your your ball, you know, the the the vast difference of the sperm duct, I guess, and like they pulled that out through the hole and then cut it, cauterize each end, put that one back, and then do the other side.
Speaker 1: Okay, and it only took like ten minutes. Yeah, it was it simple enough that after watching them do it on you, you felt like, you know, you could do it successfully on somebody else.
Speaker 3: I mean no, because it's like I feel comfortable that I did my own research. But I think, yeah, based off of that, I just felt, you know, like I did a lot of research myself, so that made me more comfortable with the procedure, I think.
Speaker 1: Now with you being awake, you know, when I was like a kid, I mean even now, like when I get a shot or like when they prick my finger or something, I don't like to look. I look away. Did you look did you watch them cut your balls open? Or did you look away? Like did they have like a TV or something?
Speaker 3: So, you know, like the exam table in the doctor's office was like the great the you know whatever the paper on it, mm hmm. That's basically what you're you're sitting on. So you just lay back and look at the ceiling or whatever while this is going on.
Speaker 1: What were you thinking about? Like do you remember the actual thoughts going on in your head while this was happening?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I do. Oh god, oh god, ow whoa wait, at what point?
Speaker 1: At what point in the procedure did you go whoa?
Speaker 3: I think that was when they injected the numbing agent into that tube and it like activated that whole fainting response. It like shot right up my back and I like started a saint.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, so it like it kind of it shook you a little bit and that made you let out the glass okay exactly, And did you thank the doctor afterwards?
Speaker 3: You know, I think I think he just knew because the guy was like eighty five, and I was like, you know, he's he's probably way more of an expert than I would ever. I know, they didn't answer your question, but that.
Speaker 1: Sort of answered that sort of answered my question. Do they numb the area before they cut your balls open? Or they just go for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, it gets numbed. M hmm, Sophie. It's supposed to be a painless procedure, but it's not not for some people, I guess.
Speaker 1: And when did this happen? When was this all taking place?
Speaker 3: Oh, a couple of days ago. Actually, how are you?
Speaker 1: How are your balls feeling now?
Speaker 3: Like they need eternal rest?
Speaker 1: Really? So it's still pretty pretty fucked up down there?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's not like fucked up, fucked up, but it's just like sore, you know. It feels like you're recovering from a really bad kick in the ball. Mm hmmm.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's I want to talk about this stuff around the procedure. What made you want to get a sect to me?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, we had welcomed our second kid, uh into the wild two days after my birthday mm hmm. And yeah, we kind of just knew, like we were not going to have any more kids because it's a lot for you know, when they're close together. Our kids are close together. But beside the point, it was the least invasive overall form of permanent birth control.
Speaker 1: Mm. Okay, Okay, now does it. I'm still I still have medical questions for you. I always thought and I never like this was when I was I don't know, maybe like in high school whatever. I always thought that of vasectomy, like like when you come, like nothing comes out, and as an adult, I never confirmed or denied that. So you you can still come.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, yeah, because that's not it's just like you're the only thing you're doing is you're cutting off one of the ingredients to the cocktail. Okay, but so nothing changes, nothing at all except that you're sterile.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you know what, look by the way I think this, this sounds like it was a well thought out decision because you had two already, and I don't and no offense to anyone who has more than two kids, but I can't I don't know what would be added to your life by having more than two kids.
Speaker 3: I mean, I guess one of the positives is that they could all raise each other, right, so you don't have to really do much. But that wasn't our modus operandi.
Speaker 1: I feel like a baby raising a baby would both of the babies would die immediately.
Speaker 3: Well, but that's why you need like fourteen kids back to back, so like as you're mom and them out, they're all cared for by the oldest, you know, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Okay, you're actually I kind of like where you're going at with this, because you're right. I think I think two babies would just die immediately, but fourteen babies put them all in like a pin, kind of like rug rats. They'd figure something, they'd kind of figure it out.
Speaker 3: Probably, Yeah, I mean, I you know, who knows that would be Stanford material.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think this conversation is making it to Stanford. But what Okay, So, so you how is things going with the two kids? How old are the two kids that you have now?
Speaker 3: Well, one of them are oldest, she is a year well, oh yeah, so year and six buckers year and a half, a little.
Speaker 1: Over a year and a half, year and a half, okay.
Speaker 3: And then the youngest was born this past January.
Speaker 1: Okay, month old. So they're only they only have like a year age gap pretty much.
Speaker 3: Uh, sixteen months.
Speaker 1: Sixteen months, okay, that's that's a year when they when when they are both like when they're like thirteen and fourteen, they're not going to be saying sixteen months, they'll be like, he's a year. Although, wait a minute, so that means that there's gonna be a wait a minute, that means that there's gonna be a four months.
Speaker 3: Do you want to know something crazy about this? Do you want to look crazy?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 3: Okay, So our oldest was born in September, and my sister was born in September, and then our youngest was born in January and I was born in January. So our kids are the exact same d like within a couple of days, one or two days off of the exact same birthdays that my parents had, which is not like something that we planned at all. It just happened this way.
Speaker 1: That would be kind of weird if you did plan it.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, yeah, but I mean I don't even know what you'd have to plan to plan that.
Speaker 1: I mean, you'd can see Eve nine months before your mom's birthday, but that would I was just saying it'd be strange if you were having sex with your wife and thinking about this is great because now we're gonna have a child on my mom's birthday.
Speaker 3: See. No, that never Yeah, that never happened.
Speaker 1: You have two children, they're both alive. There, they're only and the fact that they're only one year older, Thanny, that means that are they are they? You said, are they both? Are they both boys? There's a boy and a girl.
Speaker 3: It's a boy and a girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they're both gonna like be in like school together, and I assume I assume they'll be in the same like grade or like one's a grade above or the grade below.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably a grade or two part.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they'll be in each other's lives sort of in in in the the social universe of school.
Speaker 3: Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's a good I think it's a good thing. It's not it's good like when you go to my sister is Wait, when I was a freshman in high school, she was a we actually went to different high schools, but she was a senior when I was a freshman. I don't know it's it's I think it's probably a good thing to have, like an older sibling looking out for you, you know, when you're in school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, what do you do? What do you do for work? How do you make money to make the children not die?
Speaker 3: Well? So my wife and I when we left college, we kind of had to figure out or we we decided to see wait and see who was making the most money.
Speaker 1: You decided to wait and see who was making the most money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like getting jobs, you know, respectively, like in our own career paths, and who was the most promising or making the most amount of money or wanted, you know, particularly to be in a certain field or job or whatever, whoever had an inkling to stay there. Okay, And so long story short, she uh preferred to work. So I am the stay at home.
Speaker 1: Okay do you? Okay? So you don't you did you go what did you go to college?
Speaker 3: For computer science?
Speaker 1: Computer science? And you are you into that at all?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are you trying to find gigs? Coding things?
Speaker 3: Not right now? But I'm like, you know, I always look around. I'm looking but not following.
Speaker 1: Okay, she prefers to work. I don't know, you know, so, so I don't know which job sounds worse or more difficult. I mean, I bet they are both of their own things, but like staying at home with the kids, and there were the young they probably they need a lot of attention right now because they're like one and ship right yep, Okay, well this is you get a head start on imposing your own values onto them that she's not around for.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's not you know, to be honest, I don't think I have thought about that, but I think now that you said it, I will.
Speaker 1: They'll they'll grow when they when they grow up, they'll they'll they'll subconsciously trust you more.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I don't know about that.
Speaker 1: This right?
Speaker 3: Whoa my wife?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: What does she do?
Speaker 3: She is a software engineer.
Speaker 1: She's a software engineer. Okay, so both of you guys are computer nerds?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay? And does she does she make enough money? That is, like she can you know, support all all three of you guys.
Speaker 3: Mostly?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's pretty good. That's pretty good. Somebody in the chat just said I thought he said he was a soft core engineer at first, which I guess would be softcore. That's just I don't know why I read that comment. All right, what's your name again? Well, Wes, I want what is there? I know we talked, we got I got to learn a little bit about your life and your balls and how they don't work anymore. What is there anything before? I want to know is there anything that you'd like specifically called in to want to talk about besides your balls?
Speaker 3: Hmmm? I wanted to talk about I mean, honestly, yeah, I know, I think we're just yeah, that's I didn't really have a particular reason. I just wanted to say hi and have a conversation with you.
Speaker 1: Do you think you will miss Well? Okay, so you you have not. Okay, it's only been two days. You have not come since the procedure, right, Why.
Speaker 3: Is that funny?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean the hold on wait okay, well we are this whole the thesis of this, this whole conversation, I'm not gonna say, is centered around your vasectomy. But it started from that, and so I'm going, I'm I'm I was just before we before I let you go, I was like, I have never got I actually don't think I've ever had the chance to talk to somebody who's had a sectomy. So I'm like, before I I want to know if I wanted, if I have any other questions, And that's the question that I had.
Speaker 3: No, that's fair, that's fair. So so they you can't do that until about a week after, Like you have to wait, dude, I.
Speaker 1: Bet it's gonna hurt really badly the first time you come after this.
Speaker 3: Oh, don't mean you think about it.
Speaker 1: Did your what did your doctors like, is it gonna did your doctor tell you anything about like how it'll feel different or is it gonna feel the same.
Speaker 3: Well, they said there's sometimes blood, but that's it.
Speaker 1: You said, that's it is. If that's not a lot.
Speaker 3: Probably gets you know. But I think if you know if it's coming or then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess the way I'm I'm I'm having a lot of fun making in my own mind the the medical science of how vasectomy works. I think if their doctor tells you that you're gonna come blood, it's probably like there's a little bit of blood in your urethraw right now, and when you come, it'll like wash it out and then and then when you come afterwards, it'll be there won't be any more blood. It's just it's like left over. Is that how that works or how?
Speaker 3: I mean? Yeah, I thought about it too, and I feel like it would have to be you know, I you know.
Speaker 1: It's so much more fun to uh like come up with random ways that science might work that's based off of no research of any kind than it is to actually learn about this stuff, right, I guess so, I guess that's how the first like the very first people man imagine the first vasectom.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, I want to you know, it might have been unintentional, like getting kicked off by.
Speaker 1: A horse, right, and then the guy was like, I can now have sex as much as I want without creating babies. And he's like and he's like, you guys got to try this. All you gotta do is get kicked in the balls really hard by a horse. And that's probably how you feel right now, is that you've been partly hard on the balls of the horse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then the second me clinic was born. You know, stand behind Bessie ten bucks of pop boom.
Speaker 1: Well, I think this conversation has going on for far too long, but I enjoyed having it very much.
Speaker 3: That's good. Good.
Speaker 1: Your name is Wes, correct, Wes yep, Wes. Well, Wes, is there anything else you want to say to me? Or God or or or bugs Bunny before we go, or the people?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, your body, your choice.
Speaker 1: You know that. I guess that is that is true? That it's like, that's like the men the male abortion.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I can go that far, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: I'm I retract. I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about anyway, Thank you for calling me.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, I've a man you quick.
Speaker 1: Hmm wait. I thought getting your tubes tied was something that I'm so fucking stupid. I thought it was something that guys dot. Isn't that what avaseectomy is? Getting your tubes tied? I don't know. I could delete this part from the podcast, actually keep it in. I don't know any I'm fucking stupid. Hello. Hi, oh god, I feel like I'm a panic I'm okay, yeah, no, no, no, no, don't panic. Don't hold on. I have to sneeze, which is a form of panic. Give me one second. S I don't know why I said sneezing is a form of panic. I guess it is. It's you, It's allergens get into your nose, and your nose doesn't know what to do, so it panics in the form of a sneeze. So I guess that's right.
Speaker 4: Yes, I shouldn't.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't double, I shouldn't, you know, question the things I say so much, I should just have confidence in them that they make sense. I mean, none of none of, nothing fucking makes sense. All the words that I'm saying right now were just declared to make sense by some royal lord a thousand years ago. And he was just a guy who had diarrhea and died. And so I'm a guy who's gonna die, and we'll have diarrhea at some point. So why can't I say random things that don't make any sense and declare them to make sense in my own.
Speaker 4: Version of reality that's entirely understandable. I mean, whatever you want to make sense will make sense.
Speaker 5: And I feel like what.
Speaker 4: I think I want to talk about today might make sense to you, or it might not. But my fiance told me that I should talk to you about this if I ever got a hold of you. So I have an important thing to tell you.
Speaker 3: You know what I like you call it?
Speaker 1: You're on board with me, and I appreciate that very much even and you know what I can I can actually tell in your voice that you don't think that what I said made sense, but you're going along with it. Just be nice to me, and that makes me like you even more. What is your name?
Speaker 4: My name is Julie, Julie.
Speaker 1: What's what's tell me the thing that your your fiance wanted you to tell me?
Speaker 4: Okay? So I am a very strange person to start off, I'm I usually get cold weird by everybody I know for plenty of reasons, but this is one recently that my partner has called me very strange for. So, do you know those like life like CPR dolls?
Speaker 1: I like where this is going. Yes, So me and.
Speaker 4: My partner were talking recently about like how creepy and life like they are and how weird they are, and I told him that I would love to keep one as a friend.
Speaker 1: As a friend.
Speaker 4: Why yes, as a friend?
Speaker 1: Okay? And why what was your response to that?
Speaker 4: To that question, my response was, I typically find it hard to make friends with real people, and I like jokingly have conversations like with myself a lot because I spend a lot of time at home with my pets, and every pet owner talks to them as if they're a person. Right, So I feel like if I had like a CPR doll, like one of the lifelike ones that I could make look like a friend, I could like keep it as company and I would be less lonely. It would be like body doubling, but without a live body there, so I would still be able to do what I need to do and feel like I have company, but not actually have to bother anybody to come over.
Speaker 2: Mmmm.
Speaker 1: It's well, people do that with sex, you know, they keep like sex dolls and stuff as like romantic partners. But this is basically it would be like a platonic friend doll.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's entirely platonic. I just like, like I dress them up. We just chill out, hang at the house and like they are my company. If I feel like I'm having a problem that day that I can't talk to anybody about, Bam, I have somebody to talk to and they're not gonna tell me I'm crazy or weird through my problems. So I feel like it's not as weird as my fancee says it is.
Speaker 1: So you would want to dress this doll up or what would you dress them? How would you dress them.
Speaker 4: Honestly, like whatever I'm feeling that day, Like if it's a jammie day, we'll both chill in sweats, right, m I feel like that's acceptable. It's right to match with friends.
Speaker 1: Do that a lot. Okay, And now when you talk to them, would you imagine in your brain how they would respond to you?
Speaker 4: Yes, but it would always only be positive and it's advice that's on my side.
Speaker 1: So you so okay. So what I'm asking is, like the you would be essentially projecting a personality onto the CPR doll. Would that personality be just a reflection of your own personality? Or would you try to make a friend who was different from you? I could contrast with you.
Speaker 4: I think I would make like a different a different kind of person someone who like has like an opposite style to me, but we get along because we're a little different and we do things kind of the same way.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, how serious are you about this? Are you going to try to like take CPR lessons so that you can get one of these dolls? I think that's the only way to get one.
Speaker 5: I think it is but I don't know if I'm.
Speaker 4: Like that dedicated. It's very difficult to go out in public sometimes to deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: I'm looking on Amazon right now. For one hundred and seventy two dollars, you can get a CPR doll You can't get the well, it's just a Tourso do you need your friends to have legs?
Speaker 4: I could probably gonna full body one, but I think those ones are the sex ones, and I don't want people to think I'm doing something weird with my friend.
Speaker 1: Oh you can get one that's just a baby, now, that would be weird. Look, here's the thing. I'm open to listen, you know me, all right, I'm open minded, and I'm not you know, I don't yuck other people's you know, yulms, whatever they want to do with their life. But don't get a baby one.
Speaker 4: No, yeah, I would definitely.
Speaker 1: Not do that, although a b being friends with a baby now being friends with the baby would suck. Okay, what do you want to name this part? This this guy?
Speaker 4: I honestly haven't like thought that much about it. I'm thinking maybe like like one of my like childhood cartoon icons, right, like maybe like a brats doll name or something, or like, I don't know one of the Barbie friends, like Raquel. She sucks, but I could make her a better person if she was my fake friend.
Speaker 1: What's your name again?
Speaker 3: I'm Julie, Julie.
Speaker 1: Why do you have trouble making of friends that you can't buy? Why do you have trouble making friends that are fleshy people?
Speaker 4: I am very like introverted.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: I consider my fiance like my best friend. He's actually here right now. He's like all in his own world.
Speaker 1: Have you have you ever had friends?
Speaker 4: I have had friends in the past, and it's either they have done me wrong in some way or I've just kind of like drifted away from them because I'm really bad at keeping communication with people.
Speaker 1: How old are you?
Speaker 4: I am turning twenty one this year.
Speaker 1: Twenty one okay, And so, like, in high school, do you have buddies? Oh?
Speaker 4: I had like a lot of friends. I still talk to like at least four of my high schoo friends, but I only talk to them maybe once or twice a year.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you had a lot of friends in high school, but you only talk to them once or twice. Did they all do you. You don't live in the same uh like area as them, do you.
Speaker 4: We all live in the same city, but on different parts of it, so like to see each other is like a thirty minute or more drive and only more license.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirty minutes is dude, thirty minutes is nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 1: Look, here's the thing I don't Julie. If you went and you bought a CPR doll and you dressed it up in uh uh you know, and had pajamaites with it, and that was what you wanted to do with your time here on this earth and it made you happy, I wouldn't blame you for it. But yeah, it sounds like you do have friends. And I'm I'm no expert in what makes people feel joy in this universe, but I can only hypothesize that you might have more fun hanging out with them than hanging out with a CPR doll.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know, though, because like I have a very overactive imagination and I love to watch like movies or binge watch TV shows and I don't have like a friend to binge watch those shows with. And my partner works like all day every day, and he doesn't like the shows that I like about?
Speaker 1: What about your friends? How come your friends won't watch TV with you?
Speaker 4: Because they also don't like the shows that I like? And they also work more like throughout?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, but these friends, you became friends with them for a reason. There must be something that you have in common with them that makes them made you want to be their friends in the first place. What do you have in common with these people that are you know, a thirty minute drive away all the way in China.
Speaker 4: Video games, honestly is what started all of our friendships.
Speaker 1: Okay, so why don't you play? Why don't you hang out with your friends and play video games? With stopping you from doing that?
Speaker 4: Because they all, like never have a chance to get over here because they have other things to do, and I usually just hide out in my house by myself.
Speaker 1: I have a question. This is a real question. There's a real question. That's a real question. It's a real question. Do you do you and you can be honest with me, because again I don't. I'm not an expert. I've said this on the podcast started, but I googled how to be happy? I'm no expert in this. Do you do you want friends? Do you want to have friends.
Speaker 4: I don't know. Honestly, having friends is kind of hard nowadays because a lot of people can be like really sneaky and it's scaried because like you never know who to trust.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's I used you know, you said that, and I actually want to get into that with you, because part of me has uh and maybe this is a maybe a hippy ish belief, but part of me feel as though you you know, people find what they're looking for. Does that make sense?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, And you said yeah with hesitation, because you're probably about to tell me several horrible stories of friends stealing things. Tell me what what are your what your friends? How did your friends backstab you? Oh?
Speaker 4: Gosh? I had this one girl for the sake of the story because I don't know if she listens to your podcast or not. We're gonna give her a fake name and I'm just gonna call her like I don't know, Gemma for now, I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay with a J with a G. Okay, it doesn't That doesn't story in any way or shape or for him. I just continue. I'm sorry, you can stop talking.
Speaker 4: So me and this girl ended up becoming like best friends. Freshman year of high school, and we stayed best friends for about three years. And then junior year we had this big junior prom and I had a boyfriend at the time who had gone to a different school. I brought him to my junior prom and she ended up taking him home and neither of them ever talked to me again after that night.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that's one. Give me another one.
Speaker 4: Oh God, you're making me think about trauma.
Speaker 1: No, because here's the thing. Look, keep I mean, look, you don't have to tell me. You don't have to tell you can hang up with me right now. You have no obligation to me at all. But I just I here's the thing, is I it upsets me that you at such a I mean, you're also so fucking you know young still I believe, I mean we're in the same age ish bracket. But but you know, for you to you know this, this this this girl, this girl did this in high school. Yeah, and for you for for something that's this some girl that to you in high school, for you to be walking around life with this thing that you said to me that people can be sneaky, for that to be your fundamental belief that you're walking around with you know, I just it's upsetting to me.
Speaker 4: That's understandable, Yeah, because I want to think that way. Said again, I typically try not to think that way. It's just like the way that society has gone, and people are just like led to believe that like everybody sucks like all the time. It's it's hard because like, especially with stuff on social media, people are talking about like, oh this person was fake, but I still loved myself. It's like, yeah, I do love me, but also I wish more people could be real. But because it's so portrayed that having a fake friend is normal all the time, everyone thinks everyone's going to do them dirty, so they do the other person bad.
Speaker 1: First, dude, people are people on social media are pissed off about everyone all the time. They're just it's just everyone's mad. How often do you go outside and say hi to a person and talk to them?
Speaker 4: That's fair?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, any here's any like fundamental And this is just my own anecdotal thoughts. It's like any fundamental belief that you have about people, it's just wrong. I think because I whether well, whether because look, you could be walking around being like I think people are you know, always really nice and usually good and pretty chill, and then you know, you whatever, you get fucked over in some way. Or you could be walking around being like everyone's an asshole and out for themselves and a piece of shit and then you miss you know, opportunities of genuine connection. But I don't know it's to be. You're gonna be wrong either way in some ways. You know, the broken clock is right twice a day. So wouldn't you rather wouldn't you rather open your your arms and your eyes and your brain and your hands and be, you know, look for not look for positive good chill vibes, as they say, as opposed to always thinking that everyone's a piece of shit all the time.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, that's understandable. I definitely want to be on the like bright side of things. I like to think of myself as a pessimist. I think that's the right one testimist, You.
Speaker 1: Think of yourself as a pessimist? Yes, hm, well, I'm sorry, you know, I'm sorry to hear that, Julie, because you seem like a nice person. And what do you okay, what do you do for work? School?
Speaker 4: I currently don't do either. My partner works and makes money for us, and I stay home and take care of our house and both of our pets. I've been looking for on like an online job, but I haven't quite found one yet.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, are you happy?
Speaker 4: I'm actually very happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's awesome. Okay, maybe you should keep doing everything that you're I mean, I'm you could keep doing everything you're doing that. I don't know what I'm trying to tell you about, but uh, you know, if you're happy, it sounds like everything's working. You should get this. You should get the doll. Then, do you think the doll?
Speaker 5: Do you think the doll?
Speaker 1: Do you think the doll would make you happy?
Speaker 4: I think it would. I think it would make me a little bit more happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, you should get it.
Speaker 4: All right, I appreciate that. I'm gonna have to tell my man that you said that.
Speaker 1: Okay, what's he doing? What's he do for work? Uh?
Speaker 5: He he currently, as far as I know, is like in a warehouse.
Speaker 4: Okay, we don't talk very much about work. I just know he's not doing anything illegal or shady. So I'm you don't you don't you.
Speaker 1: Don't know, you don't really know what he does.
Speaker 4: We talk about it a lot? He tells me that he drives a lot, and that's pretty much the most I leave it at.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you're used to having interactions. It sounds like you're used to friendships or relationships where you don't don't even talk that much. Is that that true?
Speaker 4: Oh No, me and him talk constantly. Okay, I just like bother him while he's driving and we talk about stuff I'm doing.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think you should get the doll. I think I think you would have a lot of fun. I don't you know. Here's the thing, and this is why I don't like. This is why I hate giving advice and why I say I don't give advice because I don't fucking know what makes people happy. And also there's infinite variables. So what this this everything you've described to me sounds like it's working your life. The way you live it as it stands sounds as though it's working for you. If you can answer the question of whether or not you're happy with.
Speaker 3: A yes, I I adreciate that.
Speaker 4: I am. I'm pretty happy with my life. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Do you have any advice for me?
Speaker 4: Honestly, just keep geking lyle honestly, like I'm I'm proud of your progress. I love watching your streams.
Speaker 1: Due thanks Mane. Yeah, maybe I'll maybe I'll get one. I'll get one of the dolls. They're not that I mean, look, one hundred and seventy four bucks for a friends.
Speaker 4: If you get one, can you also put it in a gecko costume and have it on stream?
Speaker 1: No, I'm gonna put mine in in a in a in a speedo. Okay, Julie, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go? Hi?
Speaker 4: People, I hope you enjoyed my stories and you guys don't think I'm weird.
Speaker 1: No, I think I think you're doing everything right for you.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for that, Lyle.
Speaker 4: I needed to hear that from you.
Speaker 1: Julie, have a good rest of the night. You take care you too, Bye bye bye. See. That's the thing, right, somebody could tell me I don't have any friends, and I'm about to go on Amazon and buy a two hundred dollars uh CPR doll to be my friend because I don't have any friends. And then if I ask them, okay, well are you happy with your life? And they go I'm very happy with my life. Then who the fuck am I to say that they're not? And then I hear that, and part of me is like, you know, I should be listening to this person about how they're doing it, but I I don't know. It sess me that I don't. It bothers me that she has these these fundamental beliefs that, you know, everyone sucks. I don't think that's true. I think I think most people are doing the best they can they you know, I think there's no there's no shortage of poor decision making out there. But where everyone's everyone's everyone's trying, everyone's trying. All right, Okay, let's move on. Hello, Hello, Hi, who's this?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh speaking?
Speaker 3: Who's a good Guaya?
Speaker 1: Have you guaya? What's going on? Guya?
Speaker 2: Nothing nice? Just cleaning up the garage and myself vintage clothes sometimes and I'm taking my shit out of bush.
Speaker 1: That's cool. By vintage clothes are like, are do you just mean? What's the what is the difference between selling vintage clothes and just having a garage sale?
Speaker 2: It's very minor. But I think if you're good at selling vantage you have your your you're efficient in finding the people that are looking for whatever specific thing you got.
Speaker 1: You know, my sister went to China and she got me these like silk underwear that I haven't been able to wash some skid marks out of. Uh. Would that count as vintage?
Speaker 3: It can?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And if you want to really try your hardest to getting them out, you can go to the Dollar store and they sell the degree here called Austin spray.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean these are these are massive and it's you know, I haven't worn them in a while, but they still kind of smell, and I Kevin Benev got the shit smell out of them. Does that make it more vintage? Can that? Because does that mean I can sell it for more money?
Speaker 3: Potent?
Speaker 2: Potentially It'll have to be. It's kind of a niche thing, I guess.
Speaker 1: But all right, I think you and I have a business idea of brewing here.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, your name is what is your name again?
Speaker 2: It's Gya. It's why it's uh, it's sort for guayava, which is the Spanish translation of guava. It's also like my performer name. I'm a musician.
Speaker 1: Guava like the fruit, Yes, my favorite my favorite as well? Is it really Yeah. When I was I took a Spanish in middle school and my Spanish teacher had one day. My Spanish teacher didn't really didn't really teach Spanish. She just kind of like would bring in like different Goya brand stuff and then make us watch Gabriel I Glaciers stand up. Yeah, that was her, that was we. I don't know any verbs or anything. I just know the term fluffy, but that's not any that's not Spanish.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're a performer.
Speaker 1: How do you perform?
Speaker 2: I play guitar and a couple other instruments, but I've been playing with my own like kind of solo band kind of thing for a couple of years now. I've just got like, got really lucky that when I was in middle school, I had a pretty good crowd of kids around me, and everybody was into the same kind of stuff, same kind of music. So ever since then, we've kind of just stuck around and started playing. And nobody else really wanted to go and start writing stuff, but I did, so they just kind of followed me and we've been we've been gigging around. Man, it's been fun. It's been a crazy couple of years.
Speaker 1: The term solo band. Uh sounds like, oh my god, what there's a grammatical term for this? Holy a word that contradicts itself. What's the word for this? Do you know what I'm talking about? Please?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was half uslipt. That's kind of my mistake. But I just mean that it's a band and we play live, but it's we play my music. You know, it's released all the stuff.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well I've been playing for a couple of years now and it's all my own original music. But my homies just play with me live and stuff and where we've all been into jazz for a long time, so we kind of try to do a little a little something different when we play. You know, we don't want to just play the stuff like it's on the recordings. I feel like that's kind of boring.
Speaker 1: Oxymoron, right, that's the word oxy moron. So a solo band, yeah, Like, so how do you be a solo band? It is it not a band? Is it just you? Or are you like weird?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: You can play the harmonica and the guitar and you know, the drum and all that.
Speaker 2: I mean I can. I like, I recorded every instrument on my own that I put in my recordings, but I just have my friends that played with me when we play live. It's a solo project, but we got a band on you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, what inspires your music, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I guess isolation, being around nature. I've been. I like, I bought a four track tape recorder when I was like fourteen or fifteen. I can't remember where. It might have been, like a fifth store or something, but I just kind of wanted to start piecing it together. And I don't know, man, It's it's a it's a big kind of meditative process for me. And it's it's a big reason when I wanted to talk to you because I have recently been starting to gain some traction on social media just posting like with the reels and trying to get the content out and just you know, trying to survive. But it's it's been fuck on my business, man, Like it's fogging on my head and I just I don't like it.
Speaker 1: Not good tell tell, all right, So you're starting to get some traction on the internet with you know, reels and all that stuff, and it's it's fucking with your head.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's it's something I guess, like to start off, I've never really been a very digitally native person, which is like how I wanted to discoverer. I'd normally like to describe it. I just ever since, I feel like I was a part of the last I'm twenty two, but I feel like I'm one of the last generations of kids that really looks for connection by like going out on the street and like riding bikes and like playing with the soccer ball and stuff, you know, just just meeting up with other kids for the sake of just trying to find something to do, you know. And I never really played very or many like video games or really like a lot of stuff online until more recently.
Speaker 1: So I mean, tell me why that's fucking with your head.
Speaker 2: It's just a I don't know, like it's it's a part of just like the interface of interacting with people that aren't really there and like people that are very willing and casually like able to give you a compliment, which is always like nice to see, but they're also just as willing to say like fuck you just to really just to try to fuck with you a little bit for kind of no reason.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: There's there's always gonna be people that are going to see that you're doing something and are going to want to tear you down just because of this doesn't really matter, everyone wants, but you know, it's just it's tough because if you're paying attention to one thing kind of have to pay attention to another.
Speaker 1: And so are you getting a lot of like hate comments and that's bothering you?
Speaker 2: No, not even really, that's it's kind of what I'm saying, Like I'll have three hundred people being like this is great, I would like I want to hear more of this, like give me the full version of the song or just whatever, and then there's going to be two people that are just going to be out there and it's it's not something that I can.
Speaker 3: Even really.
Speaker 2: Blame them for, you know, because I mean I don't know, Like I was a dickhead when I was a kid too, so like I can understand to being like fucking guys, there's kind of no reason, but still like it's it's making me interact with these people as if they're there, and like it's just taking a too much space in my head. I guess like, yeah, I'm paying it too much attention, you.
Speaker 1: Know, I'll say that this is something I've been thinking about a lot because I'm also like so entrenched in the Internet and all this stuff, and it fucks, fucking fuck fucks with me a lot. It's fucked with me the whole time I've been doing this, and it's you know, it's weird d because you and I I'm twenty five or twenty two, we both kind of grew up with the Internet, and you know, we don't. You have to keep in mind, and this is what I'm trying to keep in mind, is like for all of human existence, Okay, if you were to like stretch it out onto its timeline and then you were to pinpoint the part of that timeline where the Internet exists, it would be like it would like the timeline would span, you know, about one hundred football fields, and the part where the Internet was invented would be about half a blade of grass all the way at the end. Yeah, you know, so like so it makes so the it fucking with your head, It fucking with my head, of course, of course, it's fucking with our heads. We're not built for We're trying to figure it out as it's exponentially growing and taking us over and you know, uh, bringing out the fucking worst of us and also bringing up good stuff as well. So I mean, cut yourself some slack first of all on that shore.
Speaker 2: And it's yeah, and I mean it's something that I've been aware of for a long time. Like I've never really trusted my phone in that kind of sense, where like once I got a smartphone when I was like getting into high school, I realized how much of a pull it has towards my attention and how much of a time stuff it can be. And just like I've just understood that, oh I'm kind of powerless. Like if I just pull a YouTube er now, I'm about to be here for like three hours, and right, there's kind of no two ways about it, you know. And of course it's it's something that we weren't just not to interact with, and there's going to be a period where we're still trying to kind of get used to it. But still as a creative, it's something that is, especially with social media, one of the most powerful tools to ever exist.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: And it's like, even drawing the example to your show, it's like, could you imagine in the seventies when the only real media outlets that you have were guarded by people who had to make an investment in you and had to like put theories of money into getting you out there. This is something that's like you kind of have to stay on the straight and narrow because ultimately you want to make money. But now that creating is totally free, everybody's free to make kind of whatever they want. You know, it's like the therapy because yeah, it's something that can only exist right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know, m yeah, that's a hard thing to reckon with. I think about that a lot, right because the Internet as is a total mind fuck that we are not our primitive animal brains are not equipsed to you know, with you know, especially not lots of attention on the internet because you know, I mean most people that ever lived, they only knew like ten people and uh, you know, now I know like about one hundred thousand fucking people, which was never supposed to happen. But it's but it's you're right, I mean, there's a whole positive there's a there is a demense you know, optimistic and positive part of it where uh it allows you know, independent artists and creators to form communities and share their stuff, uh, which is a good thing. So you know, I'm gonna look, man, if I were you, uh, well you're you're a musician.
Speaker 3: Yes, sair.
Speaker 1: Mhmm. Here's what I Here's the only thing I think is really important is that you're making whatever music you want to make, and you're not making music that you think will go viral. Yeah, because nothing, I mean, nothing will make you less fucking happy than just like trying to feed the machine. You know. And by the way, I've learned this, the only thing you get, the only thing you get at of feeding the machine is that you get to feed the machine more.
Speaker 2: Damn fact, that's crazy. I never thought of it like that.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to comprehend that fact. I mean, I I you know, I saw all kinds of shit on this podcast that I'm trying to actually like internalize into my own life. But that's just where my head's at.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I mean, I think it's I think it's really crazy. It's something that I I mean, I'm gonna I'm gonna give you your flowers for a second if I can. But over the past like a year and a half that I've been listening to you, because I listen to every single podcast since then. I just if I'm on a walk or I'm on a driver or whatever, you're the guy my man doesn't thrown you on.
Speaker 1: You know, I really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: I really admire the ability, or I guess, even if it wasn't intentional, the amount of people that you've brought together who have no real connection aside from being entertained by watching somebody be empathetic to somebody else's problems. Where I think you have a very great personality and energy the way that you interact with people. But I mean, it's just it's crazy because I think that you hear people from all over the country and even all over the world on this pod, you know, and it's it's just it's so so mind bowing to think that all this came of you just wanting to put a gecko costume on and talking to the voice that is the Internet.
Speaker 1: Well, uh well, thank what is your name again, Guya? Well thanks, Guya. I appreciate that you've inspired me. I'm gonna go to the store and I'm gonna get some guava soda. That's my favorite you ever had. The Goya guava soda. Actually, no, you gotta go have It's very good. And what is it? The yeah yeahstos they're good.
Speaker 2: The guava ones are freaking I've never heard of the Goya ones. I'm gonna have to I'm not to speak to that.
Speaker 1: Is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 2: I want to say something to you first. I freaking wrote a song about you.
Speaker 1: What was the song?
Speaker 3: It's called Therapy.
Speaker 2: It's on Spotify.
Speaker 1: Oh ship, Okay, how do I find it?
Speaker 2: It's just look at the word therapy, get go and guya on Spotify and it should be you. Freaking dude, I've been calling for so long. I've been calling the show for like past like five months. Just well, I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I'm glad we finally got to talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I'm it's such a blessing to be able to talk to you, brother.
Speaker 1: But it's a blessing that any of this if I I think my life has gotten beyond any any point that I can uh comprehend, So I don't know. Thanks Thanks for being with me.
Speaker 2: Of course, man. I hope to catch you if you can't. CALIFORNI your date.
Speaker 1: On your tour well, November something, November something, I'll find you. Take care man, have a benid.
Speaker 2: Man never goes on the line taking your phone calls.
Speaker 3: Every night, every beacon goes to and teaching you Cloud in the mean of your life. Re