Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is Mick shot screaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys As now here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 4: Dallas Cowboy.
Speaker 5: Can signe no, no, they never do.
Speaker 6: Okay, there you go, and the things called us.
Speaker 7: I don't know why it doesn't work for you.
Speaker 4: Done. We are stampeding into the final weekend of twenty twenty three. If something's never changed ever since, still can't get logged into the think pad here inside the SWBC podcast studio. That's why you see him on his phone the entire time during the show. It's because he can't log into his think pad.
Speaker 8: I can't think.
Speaker 4: It is the eve of a Saturday night showdown at at and T Stadium, the Cowboys on the Detroit Lions. Jimmy Johnson goes into the Ring of Honor. The prelude to that Mickey's Missouri Tigers Tonight take down the Ohio State buck Eyes.
Speaker 6: I never said that, man.
Speaker 8: Let'stir the pot baby right.
Speaker 4: Here we go. It's time for another edition of mix Shots. How's everybody doing?
Speaker 8: Everybody's good, good, good good.
Speaker 6: This is my think pad here. I just I don't have to write and no one can read it either.
Speaker 4: Right, And you've got new attire, new Missouri attire.
Speaker 6: I think this is the last one.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, thank god?
Speaker 8: And you don't that's the oldest one too, I believe, yes it is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, years and it's got the new logo on.
Speaker 4: You got anything from your playing days at Missouri. I've got a hat, you do.
Speaker 5: The hat used to have just a big M on it. And then they decided, well, there's too many schools that start with and am.
Speaker 6: We got to do a little better than that. So that was old school.
Speaker 4: And yeah, yeah, well, good good luck to your team tonight.
Speaker 6: Need it?
Speaker 7: How you do last night?
Speaker 4: They did very well.
Speaker 6: Yes, until the last five minutes.
Speaker 4: It was about the last quarter. I like our quarterback despite the three interceptions, the six turnovers.
Speaker 6: Did you notice and you like him? Oh he's slinging the ball.
Speaker 9: He is.
Speaker 4: He is throwing with boldness and I love his delivery and he'll learn all.
Speaker 8: I love your words, Bill, Seriously, he's throwing what.
Speaker 6: No, no, you should see the ball spin.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, I can see it if I'm a dB as well.
Speaker 4: No, And that'll be the test is he figures out that what the safety is doing.
Speaker 8: So when he's young, he throws with boldness.
Speaker 2: When he's a veteran, then he just turned over the field.
Speaker 4: You know, it's interesting because you'll watch this interception. You'll watch this Texas quarterback quin Yours on Monday night in the National semifinal game. And I watched him in college in high school and always liked him, and uh, he the one thing in college with him, and it's because he doesn't want to turn the ball over. He seems to be more tentative than what he was in high school when he threw with a lot more confidence. And what Jackson Arnold does, he throws with confidence right now. Now he's got to get the obviously got to get the turnovers eliminated. But I like that, you know, kind of goes back to Andy Dalton, who was a guy that he always took care of the football. And you see it with Dak Prescott early on in his career. He was a guy that, you know, only four picks his rookie year and then as he progressed. He got more bold with his throws, and it was almost his nature not to be aggressive, and it became now it's his nature to be more aggressive. Well, that's what this kid's his nature, his DNA is to be aggressive, and they've got to coach that out of him a little.
Speaker 6: Don't doubt our ability to scout.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 2: All right, we're pretty good in my family as well. Yeah, all right, we know talent.
Speaker 4: Well, you should have watched Troy Aikman's first game in college at OU against Kansas. I think he threw three or four pick okay, and that would the same type deal.
Speaker 6: I'll just stop the ball spins. It's amazing how you can see the.
Speaker 7: Speaking of Troy yesterday.
Speaker 4: That's why you saw Troy yesterday.
Speaker 6: Oh, I forgot about that.
Speaker 7: We shot a little commercial with him for the game tomorrow, and it was so fun. He was just having a ball doing the commercial for us.
Speaker 4: He's excited about Saturday night.
Speaker 7: He's very excited, extremely excited. I'm excited to.
Speaker 5: Hear everybody can't tune in by seven o'clock when they come on.
Speaker 6: The air, right because he'll be on.
Speaker 4: The exact countdown to kickoff show.
Speaker 6: Can do we get a preview of what the commercial is?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely. We have a little tribute to Jimmy Johnson and his Hawaiian shirts. I won't I won't go into it any further, but you can look out for some Hawaiian shirts.
Speaker 6: And Troy and a special guest.
Speaker 4: Okay, so guests, special guests? That in interesting, Jerry, where are we going to see the.
Speaker 7: Second quarter on ESPN? It'll be a preview going into the halftime a broadcast.
Speaker 4: It's like promoting that time. So a special guest? Is this someone who's connected with the Cowboys organization? Who is the special guest? Okay? Interesting?
Speaker 8: Don't look over here.
Speaker 4: When we make our pictures whatever.
Speaker 8: Don't look over here.
Speaker 10: We know what.
Speaker 8: Just to cancel myself out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll let you guys think on it.
Speaker 4: Maybe at the end of the show, when we make our picks to click, we'll also guess who the special guest might might have been.
Speaker 6: Interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 6: I've got an idea. I don't know if they'd have the nerve to do it, but yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Oh I like that. Yeah, it just I just had that same idea popped into my mine. That's so you'll have to wait till the end of the show. We'll probably have the same idea.
Speaker 5: And the and the game will be on uh A BBC channel channel eight locally to everybody.
Speaker 8: For everybody that can get it.
Speaker 6: Oh that's right.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's still going on. That's still going on.
Speaker 4: See I haven't made the switch to Direct TV. Well don't because I was going to. I was going to because they have Bali Sports and I don't have Bali Sports. And then I started seeing that crawl about ESPN and.
Speaker 8: Be if I'm not mistaken, okay, And.
Speaker 4: So that's still going on, still going on.
Speaker 6: Wow, since we.
Speaker 4: No wonder you didn't get to see quarterback last night and the boldness with what you throw the ball and the boldness with what she threw his for subjects.
Speaker 6: I thought it was pretty funny.
Speaker 5: So since we get it, one of the advertisements is direct get direct TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, yeah, I gonna talk to him about my bill too.
Speaker 4: Well yeah, yeah, okay. There sounds to like there's some confidence that a peridial Pro Bowl left tackle will be able to play tomorrow night.
Speaker 9: Yes.
Speaker 5: I think that was starting a couple of days ago, and Jerry basically said, I feel good.
Speaker 4: This is the latest from this morning from Jerry.
Speaker 6: Yes, I feel good. I feel good about it.
Speaker 5: Uh, they're feeling good across the board, meaning Tyron Smith being able to start tonight. That's a level of relief. So he he.
Speaker 9: Didn't say it.
Speaker 5: But so now remember yesterday, now after the show, of course Everson on the injury port they ruled Rico out. So you've got Tony Pollard, Deuce Vaughn.
Speaker 2: And don't say his name. Don't say his name. No, don't say his name. I can't say, you can say.
Speaker 5: So those will be your three running backs. And I think there's some consideration to.
Speaker 4: Uh play C. D. Lamb in the backfield too.
Speaker 6: Well, he can also do that, don't forget that.
Speaker 4: And uh, and then that's gonna happen if they like that.
Speaker 5: Look like if they have an elevation, it likely will be a linebacker.
Speaker 4: So same linebacker that I mentioned yesterday. I believe you, Buddy Johnson.
Speaker 6: That was i SD product, the only that has elevations available.
Speaker 4: So it's easy and easy figure this.
Speaker 5: But they don't have to do any roster moves until tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Oh really, so if it's not the day before the game, it's it's basically, you can do it Saturday game. They can do it four hours before kick on. They treat it like a Thursday game.
Speaker 5: Right exactly, So they can wait till three o'clock tomorrow to announce any any moves.
Speaker 8: So what's the injury?
Speaker 5: Because the deal is if you you know, Milik Davis is out of elevations, and if you say, okay, we're signing with fifty three and you've got to cut somebody and I don't.
Speaker 6: And at this time, if you cut.
Speaker 5: Somebody and they know they've been on your roster for sixteen weeks, somebody's gonna claim them, right because the teams that are out of it, they're already looking to next year, so they would claim somebody and all they have to do is put a young player.
Speaker 4: Yeah, not a Rashaan Evans.
Speaker 8: Right, they'll.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, I thought there was a rule that you can't cut anybody and this late just claim them. I mean, get through waivers without having to go through a claim process.
Speaker 4: I thought there as a certain points everybody goes through.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's what I meant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and once you reach December, basically it's there is a week.
Speaker 6: Because you can't have a buddy system like, hey.
Speaker 4: No, everybody basically after Thanksgiving and maybe after the trade deadline, but it's after at some point late in the season. Everybody goes through the waiver process.
Speaker 6: Can't say, hey, do me a square here to cut that guy.
Speaker 4: In the same reason they do that in fantasy football too, or they have a trade deadline or whatever.
Speaker 5: So you know, the losers can't help somebody out a little under the table.
Speaker 4: Last Vulture teams.
Speaker 5: Okay, so that's kind of the update on the roster stuff. Obviously, Jonathan Hankins, we knew he was going to be out, so he's he's still up.
Speaker 6: I think the I don't think.
Speaker 5: I know the offensive lineman from Detroit, we talked about Taylor Decker.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he looks like he's playing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so they are only putting down CJ.
Speaker 6: Gardner Johnson who has.
Speaker 4: Been and he's been out. He's only played two games for him this year.
Speaker 8: So their offensive line is totally intact.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we know the record. Remember what their record is when their offensive line is totally intact.
Speaker 8: I defeated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're like seven and oh this year. So there's the first time for everything.
Speaker 5: That's right, like going eight no at home for the first time in forty seven.
Speaker 4: There you real.
Speaker 7: Since nineteen eighty and nineteen eighty one, eighty one?
Speaker 4: Yeah, nice, nice, I think you were part of that ever since.
Speaker 8: I was Yeah, it was fun.
Speaker 6: Get any interceptions out of here.
Speaker 4: I'm the greatest year eighty and eighty one they went eight and oh at home?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Wait, can we talk about how fun it was yesterday when we got out of the studio and all the Duncanville kids out here stuff. Bill made an introduction forever since you.
Speaker 6: Guys, Phil became them.
Speaker 4: I decided, I decided, you know what these are the Duncanville They are two time state champion Duncanville Panthers, probably about twenty members of the team that were on a tour.
Speaker 8: Here, good looking kids and big kids.
Speaker 4: Can you believe how big those.
Speaker 8: High school kids more wide Receive was talking about.
Speaker 6: He was a sophoi y.
Speaker 4: This is hilarious.
Speaker 6: This is hilarious.
Speaker 4: And so what uh savannahs alluding to? Is? Okay? So Nate in Frisco and Everson are there? They were. We just happened to be coming out of the studio. And if you made the tour here. Our studios are right behind the mannequins on the Nike star Walk there, and so the Duncanville football team is out there looking at the mannequins. And so then.
Speaker 8: They're ranking on the funny looking jerseys and the.
Speaker 4: Funny looking shoes. Yeah. Yeah, And so I just decided, I just decided these kids have no eye idea the greatness that they are rubbing elbows with right.
Speaker 5: Now, and they were shaking hands off of them and dapping them up right.
Speaker 8: Right happy to meet them. Those guys were having too much.
Speaker 4: So I just decided, I'm going to take control of this situation. I gotta we need to educate the youth of America what they are coming in contact with here.
Speaker 8: And I don't think we would have even said who we were, you know.
Speaker 2: No, it was we were just we were giving them all the love and the flowers.
Speaker 4: I mean, the only former cowboy who would announced that he who he is would be Drew Pearson. We would tell, But so I had to. I got upset. Okay, this is future Pro Football Hall of Famer Evers and Walls.
Speaker 8: And Pro Bowler and Nate new super Bowl.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but what was funny that sophomore wide receiver. So ever since starts talking trash with he says, said he can take you that sophomore. He was kind of a soft spoken kid, but he kind of under his breath he said, not with those shoes.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was going to wear those shoes today.
Speaker 8: Were like no, they were like what you have.
Speaker 2: When you walked around like those guys with Aaron Jordan's on, every one of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Adida's slippers on.
Speaker 8: I was just killing right in the podcast.
Speaker 6: And not with those shoes.
Speaker 4: That just shows you this generation they are so into what whatever right, and they notice it. I mean, you walk in here every day. I have no idea what your shoes look like, but they they're looking at it. That's why Oregon does so well in recruiting.
Speaker 8: Yeah, just because the Gear tried it exactly.
Speaker 4: That's why all these colleges across America had to you know, they got to take down certain sponsors sign oh no they won't work that, but they will wear this. And so we got to be at Jordan's school and whatever.
Speaker 2: The young kid, he was like twelve years old, he's walking around with some here Jordan's on, like, man, look at you, what are you the manager.
Speaker 8: Or something for these guys high school. He was in middle school.
Speaker 6: What I met, They.
Speaker 8: Were dressed really nice. They looked good.
Speaker 6: I was looking at their their medals on.
Speaker 7: Yes they missed that, oh no, gotta wear that around here.
Speaker 6: I missed the head coach. He wasn't with Reginald sample legend and see they don't.
Speaker 2: Even I don't think they were there. But I spoke at their banquet when they lost the North Shore. Of course the catch and everything. I let him know about that. I think I mentioned that there once before. I don't think those kids were there because this.
Speaker 4: Is no that would have been out two thousand and night, right.
Speaker 8: Right, so they on.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I spoke at their at their banket and everything, and the coach was not there.
Speaker 8: I wish he would.
Speaker 5: I think somebody said he was still having Uh if you watch him walk, yeah he's got of.
Speaker 8: Course, of course he does, yes he does, he does.
Speaker 5: But because I asked, I said, where's Regeland And it's like, oh no, he didn't make the truth there.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of start running back, a lot of walking around here as well, so you probably want.
Speaker 4: To Kayden Durham is their star running back.
Speaker 6: It was like that was such a cool moment.
Speaker 8: That was I think me and they had more fun than they did.
Speaker 4: It's crazy.
Speaker 8: Back to back champs.
Speaker 4: Yep, that's right, and shout out to the De Soto Eagles and the Golden Bears of South Oak Cliff as well and the success that they've had lately. All Right, we continue with more mixed shots in just a moment.
Speaker 10: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: They snapped the press guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 6: He escaped slapped.
Speaker 4: He'll look for a press down.
Speaker 10: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, selling trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescott's gonna rub this himself running up the middle andy stores.
Speaker 10: Whether you're neud to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 8: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 10: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 11: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi baby, the yin to this Burger's Yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp, refreshing ice cooled kola a journey to footopia. Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts at AARP dot org. Slash beat Scammers TX. You can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's aarp dot org, slash beat Scammers, TX, demict.
Speaker 7: Shots, kpost, Roufine and Waterproofine the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 6: I almost went, what would you have said? Just what you did?
Speaker 4: Okay, just to pull back the curtain. Okay, as we come out of break, see Mickey, they don't hear what Producer Supreme said. And Producer Supreme Chris Beean, as we come out of break, he will say, go Savannah, or whoever's gonna talk first, go Bill whatever. And in this time he accidentally said go Mickey.
Speaker 8: Well his mouth was open at the top.
Speaker 4: I look at the screen his mouth, so he said go Mick. And but Savannah read anyway. So that's why Mickey said, I was about to go. Well, his mouth was half open. It's all good, all right, that's all your Savannah.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 7: Well, questions are coming in to the text line, and with Jimmy Johnson being inducted into the Cowboys Ring of Honor this weekend, we have a Jimmy question. In Jimmy's rookie year, does anyone remember who the player was who was sent to the asthma feel.
Speaker 4: His rookie year as an NFL head coach.
Speaker 6: Had to be there.
Speaker 8: I was, I just don't know the guy's name.
Speaker 4: Asthma field over the position.
Speaker 5: That's all so because you had there were three practice fields at the time, outdoor practice fields, and they were on I think number one, and he pointed to number three, the asthma field.
Speaker 4: Asthma field is over there.
Speaker 5: So my memory and I don't know if I got the first name, and I want to say it was one of Massimo Manca Masmo Manka.
Speaker 10: He was.
Speaker 4: I thought it was Dhas or something. It wasn't.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 5: It was a It was a kicker that wasn't going to get cut okay, and he they he was tired and and when Jimmy started yelling at him, he goes, coach, I've got asthma.
Speaker 6: That's what he told them about.
Speaker 4: Asthma.
Speaker 8: And so messed up.
Speaker 6: And I believe it was like it was like a rookie camp or a no.
Speaker 8: No. That was like that was like our.
Speaker 5: Trying to think of o t a qu qu o t a.
Speaker 8: Uh and we were all there. That was our condition.
Speaker 2: That was our first conditioning practice with Jimmy.
Speaker 6: And everybody was in the end zone because you guys were running.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we were doing one tens.
Speaker 2: And what you do is you you run down a certain time and then you walk back.
Speaker 8: Right, you run down, you walk.
Speaker 6: Back, and each position had a different condition.
Speaker 2: Had a different time exactly. So I think he was with the DBS probably, yeah, because he was smaller. But he's a kicker. He's a kicker man. He didn't know what to expect. And you know, let's think about Jimmy. I mean, we can talk about Jimmy about how motivational he is and all that.
Speaker 8: He's damn bully man. He bullied this little kid and what he did.
Speaker 6: Was but he sent a message there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know what I'm saying, But this kid is just trying to cut like, hey man, I didn't here to be a message.
Speaker 4: Let's let's let's count the one the guys that were the message players for Jimmy. John Roper who fell asleep in a team meeting.
Speaker 5: And by the way, by the way, it was a team meeting. He's in the back row. He fell asleep and when they got up and they were gonna go wake him up, Jimmy was like, and the next thing the kid knows is uh, which we call it Jimmy's uh.
Speaker 8: And what happened with him?
Speaker 5: Bruce Mays came in and said, Uh, Jimmy wants to see you bring your playbook.
Speaker 8: What happened to that kid?
Speaker 5: Well, he was a veteran and he wasn't playing, and he wasn't good, and he never did anything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, and so he was released and uh and got the famous the famous line that that Jimmy's always used when telling that story since then. Uh is you've got it about Emmitt or Michael. Now, if it's Emmitt or Michael who fall asleep in the team meeting, go go find a pillow for.
Speaker 8: I don't know about but I'm sure Mike fell asleep.
Speaker 4: Go get me a pillow. And then the poor running back, Curvin Richards.
Speaker 2: That's so sad to so Curvin rich late in the season. You'll never feel the same about Christmas. You'll never feel the same about Chris. He fumbled the ball in Chicago.
Speaker 6: Game of the regular series.
Speaker 4: Didn't mean anything, the game was in hand, it was trash time into the game. He fumbled once, maybe twice, maybe one.
Speaker 8: I think it was just one don't don't give Jimmy an.
Speaker 6: Don't do that at the end of the.
Speaker 4: Curvin Richards that send the message to the team. Basically, this is.
Speaker 7: Serious after he fumbled.
Speaker 6: Well after the game, No, it was right.
Speaker 4: I thought it was the next series.
Speaker 6: Let's not add to the legend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's not addswer Thath No. But yeah, so this case Christmas time. This kid doesn't have a job. Now what did he end up doing? Where did he go?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 4: Nothing? See, he's getting rid of guys who are even gonna find jobs?
Speaker 12: And can he just kidd like he had a good wreath?
Speaker 2: You know, he was on the team at the end of the season, so he must have been something.
Speaker 8: He was on the team at the end of the sea.
Speaker 4: He played behind Emmitt. Emmett didn't come off the field. I mean they had games, they literally had games stretches of the season where they had one running back and two fullbacks on their roster and that was it. They had emmittt Daryl Johnson, and Tommy ag who was a backup full back basically, and if they needed if Emmett needed a break or it was a blowout game, and Tommy Ag got the carries.
Speaker 5: So Curvin Richards forty nine carries, one hundred and seventy six yards in one touchdown.
Speaker 6: And this was game sixteen.
Speaker 5: They're going to playoffs, gonna win a super Bowl, and he sent a message to him that we ain't all that if we make mistakes like that.
Speaker 6: Thirteen and three. Yeah, Curvin richardses who that's coaches, man?
Speaker 8: Coaches?
Speaker 4: He wound up with Detroit Curvin.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Guess who was the third leading rusher that year.
Speaker 4: Taking guests on on the in what year was this? Ninety two? Yeah, ninety two, third leading rusher? My boy, my cousin, I bet it was Troy Aikman.
Speaker 5: Troy Aikman thirty seven yards, five yards and one touchdown. So DJ wasn't DJ yet right, Seventeen carries for sixty one yards, but he caught thirty two passes for two forty nine and touchdown.
Speaker 4: How about that running back by committeem it had seventeen hundred and thirteen yards and Curvin had one hundred and seventy six.
Speaker 8: Committee running back back Committee.
Speaker 4: Darryl Johnson had sixty one yards and Tommy ag had fifty four.
Speaker 5: And Michael Irvin had wouldn't carry for minus nine yards.
Speaker 8: Don't give me the ball again, coach, not behind the line.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 5: So this will this is beacon of Michael Irvin. This will be a big game for him. They're going to have twenty three former players at the game, thirteen Ring of Honor guys at the game, three assistant coaches. Obviously Campo's won. I think I saw Butch Davis's name, and Michael Irvin will have a chance. I would think to see his single season reception record broken. Oh yeah, because CD needs three catches.
Speaker 4: If Michael want to see that happen, Yes.
Speaker 9: He does.
Speaker 5: He's he's he's CD's biggest cheerleaders.
Speaker 6: And somebody asked him.
Speaker 8: I saw him on TV Michael Talk Show. It was on talk show, Yeah, and they were talking about that.
Speaker 5: He they asked CD if Michael had had called him yet about the thing this week. He goes, not yet, just like that right, And then they asked him, you know, he goes, oh, Mike's you know, we talk all the time. When I was a rookie, he explained to me the importance of number eighty eight and what the process is like and everything, and.
Speaker 6: And they asked him when they asked him.
Speaker 5: It was pretty funny because they started with what will it mean to you if if you break his record?
Speaker 6: And he goes, not much, you know if.
Speaker 5: We win the game, okay, and it was a really good answer. But he talked about how much Michael's meant to him, and so they said, you think you'll call him and he goes, well, I'm sure I will, and somebody says, well, he's going to be there.
Speaker 6: He goes, oh, we can celebrate together. Shout out to Mike.
Speaker 5: There you go, sort of the way you've kind of looked at your interception, right, Mark, right, you're cheering for the next guy.
Speaker 8: Know, it's anytime it's about ego.
Speaker 2: You know, we all still out have about egos, and so when your name's brought up in regards to a greatness like that, then yeah, it's something.
Speaker 6: It's like you're a reminder, Oh that guy was here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, thanks right, ones reminded about the legacy. It's not just me or my it's the legacy that's here, you know as a cowboy. So you know, we celebrate anybody else's record that's about to be broken because it does remind us of what we went through and the remind us of the love that we had, the teammates that we played with.
Speaker 5: And it's like when they went back to the Super when they went to the Super Bowl in ninety two, so thirty one years ago. It brought up all the guys from the seventies and they thought, oh, it's great that this is.
Speaker 6: Reminding everybody of what we did.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: So, you know, I was looking at this game. I was writing about it for tonight. It's it's almost a very historical game. What's happening now, but what happened previously for all the people had no idea who Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 2: Is and all the three Super bowl you know how I got those three Super Bowls in the nineties.
Speaker 5: And I was, you know, talking to the guys on the on the fan, and I said, think about this, when do you think your sports at What age does sports consciousness hit?
Speaker 6: And I said maybe ten something like that.
Speaker 4: Six.
Speaker 6: Well mine was six. I'm saying most people, right, not nerds like us.
Speaker 5: Right, So you got to be forty years old to probably have a decent memory of what took place in nineteen ninety two and ninety three. And so there'll be people in the stands you know, less than forty and they don't know what Jimmy Johnson has done, just like these kids didn't know who you were.
Speaker 6: It was right, But it's cool too.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 6: It's almost like a history lesson right Saturday, and it's that tibout it that's right, yes now then exactly it's true. So it's kind of a it's going to be a cool night. Now. You just got to win.
Speaker 2: You gotta win, and then you know, hopefully it will inspire this team alone to say, okay, you know all of this greatness is here, guys from the nineties.
Speaker 8: You know we could be inspired to go ahead and play above our heads. Sometimes you have to play above our heads. That's the thing about sports. You can say, well, I'm.
Speaker 2: Supposed to play like this or like that, but there are gonna be times like that showed last week to where you're gonna have to step out of your comfort zone.
Speaker 8: You know, he was about to get sacked.
Speaker 2: We talked about last week, and he somehow skaped and made this great throw. All throws are not going to be comfortable, you know what I mean, Just like all games are not going to be comfortable. You're gonna have to come out of your bag, you know, and do something you know that's you know, not comfortable, do something that's gonna take a lot of sacrifice.
Speaker 6: Jerry said, that's sports.
Speaker 5: Jerry said this morning, he said, we have all the incentive in the world to let it hang out, so to speak. Do whatever it takes to win the.
Speaker 8: Game, whatever that means you. That's what I mean. You gotta come out of your comfort zone and do what you gotta do.
Speaker 6: And you know, Detroit's got history too.
Speaker 5: When we talked about it the last time they won a division title.
Speaker 6: Now they're trying to win twelve games in a single season for the first time.
Speaker 8: And they got the coach.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because they they're looking at that number two seed, right, you know, if Eagles faltered there and they keep winning, you never know what San Francisco does, right.
Speaker 2: Which Campbell always talked about last year, he talked about how we'll be back, you know. And so this guy is he's on the mission himself, you know, as a coach, and so this team believes in him. And that's why when I looked at the schedule first time we got it, that's the game that this is the game that I looked at, right here and I've been saying it all all month basically.
Speaker 5: So we should add another pick for the next segment, the pick the key to the game to winning.
Speaker 4: You think, so we're gonna pick who's gonna win?
Speaker 8: Then guess and then the key the victory.
Speaker 4: And who's the special guest on the ESPN promo that's going to the second probably is a pod pick too. We'll have all of that for you and mix shots continues in just a moment or seventeen minutes.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 14: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Mornings, Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Clue, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 13: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 12: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 11: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved f nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping. There's no topping of school PEPSI finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 4: That's what I likes.
Speaker 7: Get the coverage you need this football season with Dallas Cowboys cold weather gear. Visit the nearest pro shop or log onto Shop dot Dallascowboys dot Com, a fanatics experience and score knit hats, hoodies, jackets.
Speaker 8: And moret yesterday.
Speaker 4: Cowboy chill outside. I bought a little Cowboy football yesterday, a little for grandkids whatever, or like a soft football whatever.
Speaker 8: I met my daughter though.
Speaker 7: At the pro shop.
Speaker 8: Yeah right, yeah, yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: Got so much to get to here in this final segment of the year. By the way, yes, what do we do on Monday? It's New Year's Day?
Speaker 9: Chris, there is no show.
Speaker 4: No show Monday. Figured there may not be, and so got a show.
Speaker 8: I was not all right.
Speaker 4: So this is our final show of the year and our final show until Tuesday of next week. So we got tons to get to here.
Speaker 5: Hopefully you don't have to pick a New Year's resolution either today or today.
Speaker 4: No, we're not doing that. Okay, definitely not doing that.
Speaker 6: We'll start with last one. Let's start with your key to victory, my key to victory.
Speaker 4: Okay, we'll go around the horn, keyed of it.
Speaker 6: That's going to sound very redundant.
Speaker 5: But stopping the run against the team that averages one hundred and forty one yards a game and has in the last eight game rushed for at least one hundred and fifteen yards and a couple of the games they've gone over two hundred. So to be able to control Jared Goff, they better stop run and then that would allow them to get pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 4: All right, I like it. Ever send you want to go next.
Speaker 8: I'll go next. Uh I was gonna say.
Speaker 6: That, Say it again, but uh double.
Speaker 2: The reason that they're able to run the ball mostly, I believe, is because they are ahead in the ball game, or at least even I say that we need to get off fast.
Speaker 8: That's what I say.
Speaker 6: We need to start fast when the coin talks in the coin.
Speaker 2: Talk, we need to go down there and score and to keep the pressure on them offensively so that they won't be comfortable in running the ball. They still may run it because we're so far that bad at playing against it and they're that good at running it. But I think we they will be less likely to run if they're down by two scores.
Speaker 4: So hold onto the football as you're running into the NFL.
Speaker 8: I'm not saying anything.
Speaker 5: I'm going to lighten up now or I respect that he's going to give you the ball and it's not a fake. Mm.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 8: I don't think they'll tell him next time you get.
Speaker 7: My two things were when the coin toss, get the ball first, and then score in the red zone. Actually, when you have the ball, put it across the end zone. As we talked about, just make sure you get into the end zs the end of the day. You don't want to just be behind because you can't get over that line.
Speaker 5: Don't celebrate red celebrate and there you go. Zone I gots okay, make sure I still yours.
Speaker 4: It's combination all of the above, but I will throw this in there. You know, we don't talk as much about the Lions defense. They outside of Adon Hutchinson. They it was the second pick in the draft last year and he's quote unquote only has six and a half sacks this year. We'd looked too much at sacks a lot of times. Among all NFL players this year, Aiden Hutchinson ranked second and quarterback hits, second in quarterback hurries, and third in total quarterback pressures with eighty seven. And so it's not like even though he only has six and a half sacks, it's not like he's not making an impact. Another guy that I want to mention from the Lions on their defense, and basically what I'm getting at is the key is protecting Dak and having time to throw whatever. If Emilifan Wu safety for the Lions his last two games. In fact, he was saying he was the NFC Defensive Player of the Week this week for what he did last week against Minnesota. He is the first defensive back in franchise history to produce a game with two sacks and an interception, which is what he had last year. In the last two games, he's the only dB in the NFL since at least nineteen ninety nine when they started tracking this, to accumulate four passes defense, three sacks, in an interception with two games span. Wow. If he melaw fun.
Speaker 6: Would we'll keep an eye on him? Hey, what number is the six?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 8: All right? Good stuff? All right? I think Bill just wanted to say his name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if he mela fun.
Speaker 6: Would they better make him if.
Speaker 4: And he does word number six? Okay, okay, all right, next on our agenda, you're gonna do the pod pick.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's do the get the pod pick pod.
Speaker 4: Pickat here's the question this week, who scores the first touchdown of the game? Either team?
Speaker 8: Ferguson.
Speaker 4: Jacob Ferguson says Everson Walls.
Speaker 2: I was just going to say that, Jacob Ferguson says.
Speaker 6: Take their tight end. I'm taken with the third catch of the game, ceede Lamb.
Speaker 8: That would be kind of game he was thinking that.
Speaker 4: Okay, and I will.
Speaker 8: Go to intercept him.
Speaker 6: Well, you gave me the Yeah, he's.
Speaker 4: Going to score the first touchdown of the game, Hunter Li.
Speaker 8: Just for you ever since.
Speaker 2: Lip, that's a good choice. I must have been. That's a good choice.
Speaker 6: All right, he would have had the first one.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know. Okay.
Speaker 4: So now our regular picks, we're going to save the yours for the end. Who the guest, the celebrity guest was, or whoever it is.
Speaker 8: So we're going to find that out today.
Speaker 4: No, no, you're gonna find out in the second quarter.
Speaker 8: Ye all right, So I can't Oh my god, I can't even.
Speaker 4: So for the game, okay, our regular pick to click and pick for the game.
Speaker 8: All right? I got myself. I have the Cowboys in a tough game twenty eight twenty four.
Speaker 2: I have us winning it, and my guy, I haven't picked him in a while and.
Speaker 8: He's been bawling all year long.
Speaker 2: He's almost like a Michael Parson's exemption. But I'm going with him this week. I think Dak is going to have three touchdowns. I won't say if it's all passing. I'll just say three touchdowns.
Speaker 7: Okay, Dak, you click to pick and.
Speaker 1: What was the score?
Speaker 8: Twenty eight twenty four Cowboys?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 4: Twenty eight twenty four, Savannah back at.
Speaker 7: Home home field advantage. Would love to see a win to mark. This is undefeated at home this season, and I'm going with a high scoring game forty two thirty Cowboys. And if we get over a thirty point mark on Saturday, we will still hold the most thirty point games at home in NFL history. So let's go over thirty points, forty to thirty and deron bland Ah.
Speaker 8: Here we go. So you're looking at the knockdowns, you're looking at the pick.
Speaker 7: I'm looking, I'm looking at at least one interception from him. I think his time is overdue. It's been a few weeks games.
Speaker 6: Golly needs three more.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talked about that outside yesterday. I still got a chance, people, he still has a chance.
Speaker 5: Okay, I've got and I like Savannah's thirty point deal. So I'm going to pick the Cowboys thirty to twenty two, and my pick to click will be ce Ed Lamb. He will break the record, he will score two touchdowns and there will be.
Speaker 6: A celebration on the field with Michael Irvin.
Speaker 5: You think they'll bring him down on the field, We'll be out all day.
Speaker 6: They brought DJ down when I haven't set the record.
Speaker 4: Okay, you may find this surprising, but I'm going to harken back to the Jimmy Johnson days of the Cowboys for my pick here. And then you mentioned Michael Irvin. Remember the one time that well it's more than one time, but the one time that we all remember when Michael Irvin was late for the plane to Detroit? Was it? It was for the Detroit What happened there?
Speaker 6: He had to sit out the first series?
Speaker 4: Was that? Was that the regular season game playoff game, okay, regular season game at Detroit, and which.
Speaker 5: I asked Jimmy when he was told him that he's being punished and has to sit out the first series. Jimmy told Nor asked Jimmy, if they get the ball first, is that the first.
Speaker 4: Series that count as one series? He's at so, But what we do remember when the Cowboys played the Lions in that nineteen ninety one season and was a trip to Detroit that was a thirty four to ten Lions win.
Speaker 6: Eric Kramer put it on him and.
Speaker 4: A playoff game that was started by Steve Berline, and as chummy as Troy Aikman and Jimmy Johnson are now, they were not chummy after that game because Troy was able to play and yet did not start the game. Steve Berline started Eightman came in at halftime, and the final score was thirty eight to six. So in honor of those two games, here is my pick for the game I noticed in the look at the box score from the regular season game, a thirty four to ten Detroit win. Ray Crockett out of Duncanville High School. Ray Crockett for the Lions had a ninety six yard interception return for a touchdown. So so my pick to click, Savannah, Can I take Deron Bland as well? Yeah, Deron Bland ninety six yard interception return for a touchdown, and Jimmy gets revenge for his losses to the Detroit Lions with a Cowboys thirty Let's go thirty eight to six win over the Lions, the same score as that Eric Kramer playoff win, and Troy and Jimmy will hug and everything. They will live life happily ever they've been doing for the last thirty years.
Speaker 8: So who's your guy?
Speaker 4: Doron Bland is my pick to click? And the final scores thirty eight to six to avenge the Eric Kramer thirty eight to six playoff loss.
Speaker 6: All right, you like it?
Speaker 4: Geez, you don't like it?
Speaker 8: Six?
Speaker 6: I'm a little about that too. A missed extra.
Speaker 4: They'll go for two, okay, okay, all right? And who's the celebrity? Who is the celebrity that crashed?
Speaker 6: The celebrity have just walked in this room.
Speaker 4: There's a celebrity right here, all right, So what do you what are you thinking on the celebrity who crashed the taping of the Now tell the story again for those.
Speaker 7: So Troy Aikman, we did a commercial shoot with him yesterday for ESPN. The commercial will air during the second quarter, right before Jimmy's ceremony, which they are airing.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 7: And we did a little shoot with with Troy and a special guest and they're wearing Hawaiian shirts for Jimmy Johnson.
Speaker 15: So who dj okay, Okay, I know my face.
Speaker 4: Did they have a message? Did they have a message for Jimmy in the Okay? Now see that kind of destroys what I was going with. I was going with Barry Switzer. It's the special guest shut down.
Speaker 6: That was the first thing that popped in my head.
Speaker 4: No, he doesn't have it.
Speaker 6: A fruited him to Oklahoma.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but I don't know that was who you think?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm changing mind depending on what you say.
Speaker 6: I'm going to say North Turner.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 4: He came into my mind too.
Speaker 6: He did introduce him for his Hall of Fame by the way, all.
Speaker 4: Right, but it was tacked in the building.
Speaker 7: And you're not going to guess, because you know, I'll keep this all in my thoughts and you guys can see what happened.
Speaker 4: My other one is Jerry. Jerry is my other one?
Speaker 6: Okay, so okay, nice, you got one.
Speaker 16: No, I just want to come in and say it was sixteen one teens. We were doing the conditioning test. Yes, because I remember that because I went to Jimmy before we did it, said, man, you can cut me now.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to do you remember the name him as the kicker who I had went to.
Speaker 8: I don't know. I really don't care.
Speaker 2: We have to we have to make it in seventeen seconds, yeah, seventeen seconds.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so he was gonna I just fall into the side by the hour before he was getting ready to go out, said coach, could I speak with you? And he said yeah, And I said, hey, man, you can cut me now. You can because you because I want thing to get embarrassed in front of the media, right because it was open at me.
Speaker 9: I'm gonna beat him up. Yeah, but you didn't know.
Speaker 8: Him at that time.
Speaker 4: So do you think Jimmy knew that there were TV cameras rolling at the time when he said that.
Speaker 16: Yeah, he was always aware of his environment.
Speaker 4: Which is another great story of a press conference. It was a Monday, Yes, Vicky.
Speaker 6: Masa my monk. In nineteen eighty nine, the cowboys.
Speaker 4: All right, very good.
Speaker 16: Another guy who we was over in Japan or somewhere in England or somewhere. We was against guys that I was talking about the lists of guys that and he made another list of a guy. He told him, don't stop running. We're gonna Yeah. He wanted this guy.
Speaker 9: He liked this guy.
Speaker 16: He said, man, don't stop running. It was a running back. He said, I'm gonna run you into this. It's thirty one and I do not. I don't care what happened. I grabbed here. I said, man, don't stop running, just please, just until he brow that whistle, don't stop running. This kid hitting up boom boom. Everybody hit him and tackling and he and all of a sudden he just stopped.
Speaker 9: And he started to trying to run back.
Speaker 8: Worried about it.
Speaker 16: I never heard from we got back in the country. I guess he took his We never saw the kid he took his passport against. At the time, I didn't agree with nothing, Jimmy dead, with things.
Speaker 9: Whatever, with things with ever sin.
Speaker 16: I thought that was so out of line because I had never seen a coach go at a player, and I thought that one was gonna punch you.
Speaker 9: You know, I really I really did, Like like the wall looked at me.
Speaker 8: I just say, you know what I was chasing.
Speaker 9: He was chasing him.
Speaker 16: So Jimmy has made a lot of guys, but Coach Johnson will tell you to this day he can never be that guy again because he looks back and he sees the enemies he's made, the people lives he affected. You know, sometimes some of these guys probably never recovered, you know, and then some guy maybe didn't even care.
Speaker 8: But a lot of coaches can say that though.
Speaker 16: Yeah, but not, but not the way jim Jimmy took. Jimmy was the beginning of social media.
Speaker 9: She was the beginning.
Speaker 16: Yes, he was the beginning of it because cowboy coaches were always big. But when was Coach Landric ever Uh an icon to the point where he he can Jimmy would have been to have his own meme and everything right about now, Couse and Andrew was so direct and so personal boy, and everybody thought he was in person, But Coach Landry knew each one of us and he could have a conversation with you. Jimmy didn't care to have a conversation with you. It was just one focus. If he couldn't see you in his focus making his team better or bowing down to him at that time, you wasn't gonna.
Speaker 9: Make the team.
Speaker 16: That's the bottom line, now, you know, And so what it does my show next? So I got y'all, this is what I told Nick Eatman yesterday, who does storyline, and the difference in coach Johnson now lives.
Speaker 9: He's much closer to his family.
Speaker 16: See, because people don't understand when we were in meetings, this is how focused this man was. He used to Hey, man, I divorced my wife and we all started laughing.
Speaker 9: But check the records. He came to the Cowboys.
Speaker 16: One of the first thing he did was divorce his wife's and he had a way of turning every thing to I did that. I don't want nothing distracted me. So if you're not you know, if you're not a part of this and you're a distraction, you're not gonna be here. And it's like, oh, just like his wife, his kids coming. I'm serious, it's funny, but this is this man talking to us one hundred players or more. And then he told us on time and my mom and dad in town, I'll see them after we get through. Whoever was playing, I'll see them afterwards.
Speaker 9: And it was the.
Speaker 16: Truth he told his mom and that, Hey, hey, y'all, do what you do, have fun. I'll see y'all after this victory. He expected us to do our families like that too. His kids will come in town. Hey, my son in town. But I ain't got time today. But now all of this focus, all of this neglect, now it comes back around and you see coach Johnson, and you know the history on his kid.
Speaker 9: I'm not gonna that ain't.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: If you don't know it, so be it. But he's put a lot of to his kids and to his sons. Yeah, yeah, he's put he's.
Speaker 16: I mean, his mom and dad probably gone now, but he changed the way he acted. And I'm probably see if he see his ex wife, he'll probably you know, different with her. He talked to guys with a different affection now.
Speaker 4: When his mom passed away. That is what changed him. Yes, and he is a totally different person now than what he was like as a football coach.
Speaker 6: From a sentimental level. Yes, right, And and you know what, I can confirm everything Nate just said.
Speaker 16: See people, That's why I tell people. When I first met Everson, I didn't want nothing to do with him. He was controversial, he was for what was what he thought was right. He did not back down. And now that is the very thing that makes me respect him. You see, as you mach sure as a man and a woman, you learn, you get better, you don't get worse.
Speaker 9: Hopefully, Yeah, yeah, you hopefully and so but hey, that's that's just my story. On Coach Jones, Yea.
Speaker 4: I wish you would have come be in earlier. The show would have been a whole heck of a lot better.
Speaker 6: But it got so good. Chris, let us go ten more.
Speaker 8: Minutes, Chris, good stuff, Chris, all right.
Speaker 4: That does it for mix shots for another year, and we'll see if we're back next year.
Speaker 8: Mix Shots on Tuesday, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.