Speaker 1: This episode at the Patriots Postgame Show is presented by Draft Kings.
Speaker 2: This is the Patriots Postgame Show, presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 3: First post dive for the episode Touchdown.
Speaker 2: Patriots join the conversation by calling the eighth Ticket hotline at eight to five five Patch five hundred or email the show at web radio at Patriots dot com.
Speaker 3: And off to Stevenson.
Speaker 4: Well, that's a big hole across the Morty cuts left for five at steam Rolls the Defender.
Speaker 2: There live from our studios inside ju Lett Stadium.
Speaker 3: Here's Matt Smith Ian. Good afternoon everyone.
Speaker 5: Thank you for joining us on the Patriots Postgame Show, which is brought to you by Draft Kings. Patriot's Post Post Shame is postgame shows presented by DraftKings. Matt Smith alongside with Paul Prillo, We will be joined by Mike Dusaut and likely Fred Kirsch. The Patriots lose today to the Houston Texans. It's the Texans first ever win here in Fox ro Chelette Stadium. They lose by score forty one to twenty one. Paul, I have a feeling that most of the conversation will be generated not really about the outcome today, but by the player quarterback, give me an instant analysis.
Speaker 3: I couldn't agree with you more.
Speaker 4: I would expect to see two hours of talk about the quarterback, not necessarily the game. I think there were certainly a lot of things that we feared about putting a rookie quarterback in too soon. But you also saw why people were so excited. There were enough plays to have you. You know, it's one of those if you're a if you're a hack golfer like me, Matt, and you just have that one birdie or that one shot that keeps you coming back. There were those plays today that you saw him make and you said, that's why he was the third overall pick.
Speaker 3: Reason for excitement. Okay, so he threw three touchdown passes.
Speaker 6: He did.
Speaker 5: That's on the good side of the ledger for sure.
Speaker 3: He turned it over three times, and yeah he did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so turn it over three right, So the realest in me, you know, I want to get excited to Paul, I don't want to I want to dump on I don't want to dump on everybody who's going to be happy about it today. But you can also see, and I think you just said that why people say, let's hold off because he can be careless with the football.
Speaker 3: He can be electric with the.
Speaker 5: Football, he can be careless with the football, and they need to try to learn that out of him, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think that's what we're talking about. And like the excitement comes from the bar where the bar is right, Like it's his first ever start, so you're you're glombing onto the accentuating the positive plays.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: The bomb to Booty was awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, at the end of the half, it's probably lit some excitement in this place that I don't know if we've seen since that last second touchdown against Buffalo last year. Like you have to go back that far right, you know, for that kind of excitement and do that. And this, I mean, this throw is just perfect. It's beautiful, and this is you know, this is a lot of things to be excited about. Obviously we're going to talk a lot about Drake May, but it's Kasehan Boody beating Derek Stingley outside and he beats them.
Speaker 3: I mean, he beats them clean.
Speaker 4: It's one on one and the whole very easy to defend, goes out the window on a play like this. So yeah, I thought there were enough of those kinds of things during the course of the day that well, you know, you know, we're gonna do the good, the bad, and the injured will probably wait till Mike comes down. Sure, I didn't have Drake May on on any list today.
Speaker 5: I think that's a perfect spot to put him in. But I was in the middle.
Speaker 4: But I would say I come away personally far more enthused and excited, probably than I anticipated being there were there were enough good plays. There were more than just one or two, Like, there were enough really good plays that you can see it like he's he's got something. Now he's gonna have to harness it, because you're right about the turnovers, Matt. But yeah, I I came away pretty pretty excited about some of the things that I saw.
Speaker 5: Just one thing to point out on a touchdown to Booty to Paul and May said it as they were going into the locker room at halftime on an offensive line that I you can't even call it patchwork anymore. It's so h discombobulated. But he had a clean pot pocket on that play, one of the rare times he did in the game, and they took advantage of it, you know, which was really nice to the whole operation of that play.
Speaker 3: And that's what's gonna happen. It was a professional football play, and you're right, but that's what's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: They're gonna see a lot of pressure because teams are gonna look at it and say that they can't protect and they're gonna come after you know, Houston. Houston really came after him in the first half and made him, made him real uncomfortable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it looked like he I thought he showed some poison spite of all that, Paul, you know, he didn't look flustered, he didn't look that one.
Speaker 4: I'm I'm not as I'm not as convinced on that. I thought there were times he kind of looked exactly the way you would expect.
Speaker 5: Here in the head you running around.
Speaker 4: I thought he, you know, like sort of missing some some up you know, not necessarily the opportunities, but like you know, kind of looking at the rush a little bit. I mean again, things that I would absolutely expect in the first first start, Like mac Jones. I remember like one of the first passes that it might have been the first pass he attempted as a pro. He threw the ball backwards, so you know, like these things happen to young, young quarterbacks. Like I said, I come away, I'm not being blind. I'm not trying to be like this is sunshine with Patriots. I'm not trying to do that.
Speaker 3: I saw the things.
Speaker 4: That people are worried about, but I saw enough things that I'm excited about that I'm accentuating those today.
Speaker 5: Okay, Mike Dusau joins us now Mike instant analysis. The Patriots lose forty one to twenty one. But as I said to Paul when we started, I don't think many people are gonna be talking about the game in this postgame show.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be reserved for the quarterback.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would. I would echo you know someone what Paul said. I think that there's the foundation of an actual NFL offense out there, or you know, at least an NFL quarterback. Some of the throws that he made, or you know, like we talked about this summer. You see the arm strength, I mean, the impressive throw on the touchdown. You know that that's encouraging. But end of the day, that the turnovers, the mistakes, the untimely plays by the defense where you know, just a weird kind of day where they're pretty stout against the run and then you know, a couple big touchdown runs really hurt them. So inconsistent on that side of the ball. I was just really frustrated by the start. In the third quarter, you felt good, you kind of ended well, it's all of a sudden, it's fourteen seven. I mean, I felt like it should have been made twenty eight to seven. But somehow you get out of that first half fourteen seven and you know, to go out, they missed the face mask boom, it's twenty one seven.
Speaker 9: Just like that.
Speaker 8: It's just it's just, you know, really really hard to overcome when you have four turnovers like that. But like I said, I think you have there's a little bit of a spark there and something that I don't know if I would have said it back in twenty twenty one with that offense, where it just felt like, even in success, sometimes it felt like this is gonna be grind. It's always got to be perfect. You know, they got a ways to go, but there's a little bit there, and I think that kid's gonna make this season you know, more exciting, more interesting to watch for sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, So Paul says he's excited, Matt says he's excited. Mike says he's excited. They're one in five. I think this is a tough spot for the coach and the coaching staff to be and because I think you're gonna see some you're gonna hear and see some general enthusiasm around this team. They lost by twenty and deservedly so, because they were careless with the football. The last when I stopped keeping track, it was nine penalties for fifty yards more sloppy football play. How do you balance the fact that your team's not good enough to do shoot yourself in the foot all the time with the fact that you might keyword might have found something in the quarterback.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean you just have to accept that that it's going to take time. And I think that's what's on display. We knew that coming into the season. I think it's harder to swallow that when you're watching a veteran quarterback who isn't the rookie going out there and you know, yeah, so we're zero and one with Drake May And I think if you look at it that way, you know, I honestly I would say right now, like my bigges bigger concern is just like the defense is so up and down. You know, it just goes from you know, they can't get anything right too. Then they force a couple of punts, and you know it's just it's hard to really feel like the defense that has any kind of consistence.
Speaker 4: I thought that, yeah, because I that's a great point, Mike, because I thought they were like I wouldn't say this was a great defensive game, but they were also putting some tough spots and handled some of them, some of them reasonably well. Seventeen turnovers, you can't you you can't like sort of overlook the like the first drive like a hot knife, and you know, this is kind of becoming a little bit of a trend where the other team gets the ball to started. You know, one of Miami's best drives last week was the first drive of the game too, and they had nothing offensively. I don't think the Patriots played well defensively today, but I also think it could have been worse because of some of the spots they were put in. Now, you know, I think the Texans kind of helped out a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think Stroud.
Speaker 4: Missed an easy touchdown to to Dalton Schultz in the in the end zone and was late and uh short on the throw and that you know, caused Schultz to not catch it. He had two hands on it. It's got to catch it. He didn't, and then it pops up in the air ends up being an interception. Great play, a great awareness, good coverage by Mapu, you know, to get to scrabble back into the play in a great play by Marcus Jones. But I just thought there were too many times where okay, if they can just get a stop here and it's third and five, and it's so easy, you know, on some of those key spots third like this is what I mean. Like, I don't think they were terrible defensively today third downs, Like you know, Houston was four to eleven. It's not terrible, not terrible defense.
Speaker 8: Take it.
Speaker 3: But everyone you had to have they got right.
Speaker 5: So, Paul, I think that leads us nicely into the good, the bad, and the injured.
Speaker 2: Now it's time for the good. But the good, but the good, the bad and the injured.
Speaker 4: Ah ah, you are right guy.
Speaker 5: You want to lead it off, Paul, And I think maybe for edification for Mike when we were talking about may I think it's worth repeating where Hall said he would place Drake me on this list.
Speaker 3: I didn't have money any list.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's I mean, it's the philosophical question. I think, like, on one hand, you could say, hey, started, he threw some nice balls, he got his feet wet.
Speaker 4: But my good, my best, my best, good thing that I would put on this list, though, is going to involve him. And it's the the you know, the drive at the end of the half. And I just thought it was such a I'm gonna get all like, you know, philosophical I just thought it was such a like a contrast to what we've been talking about. Yeah, you know, in the Seattle in Miami situation. So they get backed up similarly, you know, I think it was the sixteen yard line, they run the ball similarly on the first play, the other team didn't take a time out. You sort of let the clock run and you're like, okay, let's get.
Speaker 3: Out of the half.
Speaker 4: Then they throw it and he throws a pass all the way across the field and it was, you know, kind of look a little dicey, you know, but he has the arm to get it there it gets out to Mario Douglas.
Speaker 3: Douglas is able to get.
Speaker 4: Up the sideline, get out of bounds, get the first down, and I just thought it stood as such a contrast to the disasters and time management at the end of the half with Brissette. Now all of a sudden, you have a drive going, you make a play and that culminates with an absolutely gorgeous forty yard touchdown from May to Booty. So that was the best thing about this game to me, was that sequence at the end of the first half.
Speaker 8: That was my best good Yeah, I I hesitate to put Kishan Booty on the actual good list, but just to maybe piggyback on yours, just to say, I just thought that was a great catch from him. I mean that that play down the field mentioned in the pregame, show his hands, something that stands out. I mean, May threw that ball. They were they were even, you know. I just I thought the way he threw that ball with anticipation, really struggling with the goods in the back like he gets by perfect.
Speaker 5: I got to catch that ball.
Speaker 3: Oh this is It's a perfect throw. Right, It's a great throw. But but I like Mike before you came down.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is like runs the gamut of the things that if you're a Patriots fan that you're really excited about, because it's not it's just Drake May coming in and doing something. It's he's throwing the ball to a second year receiver too, who beats a really good cornerback yep, yep, you know, and Derek Stingley. So I just thought, you can't if you know you want to be a dorky Patriots man, I don't think you could be excited enough about that play.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you know you need more of them, get more of them.
Speaker 5: And then just so before we put Booty in the Hall of Fame, Patriots Hall of Fame, I had a second and seven play in the second quarter where he just flat out whift on a block and got it winning. The running backs killed in me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I said, in the back, not putting him on the not putting him on there, but just wanted to, you know, highlight it. I just I'm really struggling with the goods and the bats, because I think just about every player it's kind of like Drake was today where I can point to two or three plays that were really good. And I can point to two or three plays that were not very good, especially on the defensive side of the ball. But but I will put to Mario Douglas on the list, looking at his you know, final stats, to catch his ninety two yards thirty five yard long that that touchdown, got his first touchdown. Ye, he was an effective piece and I thought you really started to see, you know, maybe why he might have been itching to get Drake in there. He was very involved and just showed the production and the way that you know, you're hoping that this kid can contribute. So I put Douglas he is a.
Speaker 5: Threat to score every time he touches the ball, no question about it.
Speaker 3: Nothing if not consistent.
Speaker 4: So I would say, like that's what I was talking about before the game, like I want to see some of those NFL plays, those crossers, yes, you know, and unfortunately I thought may missed a few of them. The first interception was was one that I thought he overshot him. He had another one that he threw well behind. You know, there was listen, there was a little nuke l loos to that performance today.
Speaker 5: A really good comp but because he sprayed it all over the place.
Speaker 4: But yeah, but I just like those crossers to Douglas. You know, I was joking with Freddie. I was like, that's the guy that you guys have been telling me about that for two That's the first time I saw it. Like he torched that guy on the touchdown off the line of scrimmage. It was not even competitive. He beat him within like you know, like uncovering and getting open. He beat him within the first millisecond of the route and comes across the field and he's you know, it's a thirty five yard touchdown.
Speaker 3: That's good stuff. Is it okay?
Speaker 5: Is it okay that the boss is joining us now to break format and get some instant analysis.
Speaker 3: From fred No, he gets he jumps in with the good okay, then jump in.
Speaker 10: Can you imagine what this kid's going to be like when he has an adequate front line in front of him and a couple of weapons.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's me.
Speaker 10: I'm excited. I'm excited. Put him on the good list. First game against this defense with this support cast. Put him on the good list.
Speaker 5: I think Paul and I had him on no list.
Speaker 3: I didn't have many We didn't have him the good list. We didn't have the bad list. You, guys, I have him on the on the on the Paul Excitement List. That's where I have.
Speaker 10: He provided you excitement.
Speaker 3: That's why he's on the Paul Excitement.
Speaker 10: Put him on the good listt put him on the good list.
Speaker 3: I can't put a guy who turned the ball over three times on the good list.
Speaker 10: Just what did you expect?
Speaker 3: I didn't expect anything. I was watching the game and I was going to see what happened.
Speaker 10: He made you excited. I absolutely made you excited. Excited he guys on the good list.
Speaker 3: I was absolutely excited. Can we also? He also turned the ball over three times? I can't put him on the.
Speaker 10: Cause I knew that was going to happen.
Speaker 5: And some of the passes, you know, that was just so all over, all over the place.
Speaker 10: Finally he thinks Pop Douglas is good.
Speaker 8: I know, Well, hey where we got that came?
Speaker 3: He got a touchdown to polk.
Speaker 4: Look anyway, I said, I said, I joke to Fred, Oh, this is what you guys have been telling me he does all the time.
Speaker 10: No, we told you it is. We told you what he can do. What that's that's what he does. Okay, but yeah, you didn't see the speed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, he beat that guy in a blink off the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 10: That was and it was a good pass that led him and he allowed him.
Speaker 3: It's part of what I would.
Speaker 10: Have allowed him to show his talent.
Speaker 4: You know, I'll save my nitpicking probably until the week, but you know, it would have been nice to see some of that in the first three quarters of the game, and it was a little bit more competitive. But I'm nitpicking. That's a nitpick.
Speaker 3: Is that it for goods?
Speaker 8: I mean, honestly, it might be for me. I mean, as much as I could point out good plays with some of these guys, there are also other players that I could I could point out and be bad, and I don't, you know, want to shorten the segment, but I think a lot of these guys are are worthy of I.
Speaker 10: Really only I had four people. I had May I'm good. I'm good. I had I had Pop Douglas, Okay.
Speaker 3: Mike had him, I had Booty.
Speaker 10: Mentioned them, and I give Hasty a good just for being thrown in there and in the effort not not dropping the ball. Who Hasty for?
Speaker 11: What?
Speaker 10: For just getting it being thrown in there?
Speaker 3: And you know he's the like a backup running back.
Speaker 5: The lead kickoff returner who I think.
Speaker 3: At least kickoff returner every game at.
Speaker 5: Least twice stopped and allowed the other team to tackle him. No, he's like the kickoff return was.
Speaker 3: He had to carries for twelve yards.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I put him on the good Wow, Okay, I think I would.
Speaker 4: I have to say, this is the most incredulous I've ever been over a selection for you, the list in the illustrious history of this pro the illustrious history of this program, Like.
Speaker 5: Are you Jennings and I give I given the defense.
Speaker 10: No one gets on the good list, the whole defense. It was absolutely disgusting.
Speaker 3: But I don't kill the defense. I do, I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean I I it wasn't good. It's again it's not on the good list. But they were put in a lot of bad spots and they didn't always give up a touchdown.
Speaker 3: There were a couple of full play field goal drives.
Speaker 10: It's not it's full plays three yards field.
Speaker 3: That's as good as you can it's.
Speaker 10: Just not the final points. It's like, you know, you get you get in a position and then like you give up these big runs and it's just that's fair.
Speaker 3: That's that's fair.
Speaker 4: I'm like, I've seen the I've seen the defense play a lot worse than it did today. I know they give forty one points and it looks horrible. I don't think they were responsible for the forty one points stats.
Speaker 3: Would they run for Houston? Run for total? Well, they ran for a lot, but it was all on three.
Speaker 5: Three rays, right, But those plays were not competitive.
Speaker 3: Jeezus one hundred and ninety two.
Speaker 8: Again, yea one hundred ninety two Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: Seven yards yeah, fifty nine and fifty four yard runs.
Speaker 8: One hundred of them came on two gigs. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Maybe I'm not putting like, I'm not telling you the defense was good by any stretch.
Speaker 3: It was not good today. Fred's right.
Speaker 4: Fred's way more right than I am. I just I think there were some extenuating circumstances.
Speaker 10: They were made to look worse than they were.
Speaker 4: But it I thought that some of the spots they were put in they handled pretty well.
Speaker 3: But you're right.
Speaker 4: I mean, bottom line is there were times when they gave up plays and you know, like you need to stop, Like you.
Speaker 3: Know, Mike was joking.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: He Mike had a little look in his eye today that I haven't really seen much.
Speaker 3: Mike was envisioning a thirty five thirty.
Speaker 4: Four win that I thought was quite pure, out of pure Fantasy lands. And it's third and five and I'm like, I just looked at and after that playoff was like, that's what's happened all day. Every time, every time they needed to complete a little pass, they completed a little pass unless they did something to stop it, and like that was as easy. And then the next play Pierce runs fifty four yards with a touchdown.
Speaker 5: Douce your favorite player today? How do you think he looked?
Speaker 8: Who is Who's my favorite player? Stefan Diggs, Don't get me started on him, Like all right, so that's what just kills me like that, Like and Paul saw me. I had steam coming out of my ears to you know, the rest are calling all these tiki taky calls on the first and yes, some of them are just talking about But then a blatant face mask where like everyone can see it.
Speaker 5: It's crossed the Patriots and a touchdown.
Speaker 10: They missed that it gave them a touch And then my best friend.
Speaker 8: Stefan Diggs, the great, greatest guy ever, then gets a freaking taunting penalty, like the great guy that he is. Uh, I just think he's a turd. I I wouldn't know. I wouldn'tant him on my team. I honestly wouldn't. I know, says I'm stupid that you need that number one and that guy is awesome. But I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: I just I wouldn't want to win the team now, but I would. I would have wanted him on my team the last five years, and you were like turned them up.
Speaker 8: He didn't never want anything with Buffalo. There's a reason they got rid of him.
Speaker 3: So you know, one of those they never want anything.
Speaker 8: They never want anything. What they want they that's so, that's that's it.
Speaker 3: Like you win eleven twelve games.
Speaker 8: I'm mad right now and I'm pouting.
Speaker 4: Stop putting credit though, Fred, because he's very consistent.
Speaker 3: He had no use for the twelve and four seasons the Patriots are putting.
Speaker 8: I had no use for a number one. If it's anyway, let's let's move on from Dicks. I just I want to mention I don't know if he's on that list, but this Ben Brown kid came out of nowhere. I didn't really see any botch snaps or anything like that. I maybe the ball knowers will tell me that there was pressure coming up his way the whole game.
Speaker 10: I haven't read that.
Speaker 3: That's not.
Speaker 8: But I I just much in the same line of last week, I gave credit to Mapu from coming out of nowhere and playing I'm going to give credit to that kid fair enough his first NFL start. I would I would agree with you saw enough botch snaps.
Speaker 4: There were a couple of snaps that looked funny, I would say, but I didn't, like, you know, a couple of double clutches. But I'm gonna sorry, Fred, I'm gonna put that on May because I know, yeah, that one was yeah how much?
Speaker 3: So I agree with you.
Speaker 10: I didn't he had like eight offensive plays to his credit coming in.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so that's you know, I don't know exactly how well he played. He might have given up a few pressures, but I mean all the sacks were from the edges as they as they have been. And you know, Venerian Low went out again and uh and another guy had to step in, so it's you know, they're just getting getting really killed on the offensive. Line this year.
Speaker 5: I brought up digs number one to get under your skin, but number two to bring up Christian Gonzales.
Speaker 3: Okay, And I know it.
Speaker 5: Wasn't uh uh apples to apples comparison. And we don't know what the coverages were. Were they playing man? Were they you know, what were they doing? Were they showing me in and going back into his own.
Speaker 4: Some of those big ones we were, man, Yeah, good first drive there was like three in a row.
Speaker 3: Now not good enough.
Speaker 8: And I'd put Marcus Jones on Tank Dell right next to him. I think both those guys, you know, those Dell and Dickson, though.
Speaker 4: I thought Jonathan Jones struggled to I agree with you. I thought the secondary as a whole was.
Speaker 8: And Jonathan Jones kind of in and out, in and out.
Speaker 4: Marco Marco Wilson was informed and in fairness, Marcus Jones on the injury report this week with you know, with the groin issue, so you know he's fighting hurt a little bit, but just it wasn't good enough. It's a good point. Maybe that's why they don't put him back on kicks. Yeah, that's a good point, Mike about Marcus Jones. But yeah, I agree. The secondary wasn't good enough today. You know, you had no Nico Collins that should have given you, you know, a.
Speaker 3: Leg up, and those other two guys were open all day, you.
Speaker 4: Know, and it wasn't huge numbers. But the reason it wasn't huge numbers is because of the field position they kept taking over in so you can only get to the end zone.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 5: You know, Mike, your other favorite player. I have a feeling he's going to wind up on your bad list today.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, yeah, I just had.
Speaker 3: A tough, tough game bad drops.
Speaker 8: Ike was really mad at him, disappointed, disappointed.
Speaker 3: I had a different I had a different version of my head press box. Well, it was kind of fun. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 8: I was a little fired out. I mean, look, you know why because Drake May made me excited enough to care, you know, and that's why, like, you know, when it's Jacobe Prissette out there, and you know, this offense isn't really something you're gonna build around, and you just want guys to support the rookie quarterback and you're seeing right here some of the you know, just surprising drops, uncharacteristics dry. You know that that that's a play that Jalen Polk. I've seen him catch you know, already a dozen times in between training, camping and the early part of the.
Speaker 3: Season, but like, what is that that one at the end?
Speaker 8: I mean, just incredibly uh, you know, disappointing from him again trying to support the rookie quarterback. I'm more than anything, I'm surprised because I thought not to say that he would have put up the same production that we got out of Douglas today, but I would have expected a similar kind of performance where he said, hey, this is the guy I've been working with all summer. I'm gonna support them. I'm sure Jalen Polk's probably in there feeling sick right now himself for the way he plays.
Speaker 3: Is it in his head?
Speaker 10: We'll see.
Speaker 8: I mean it's a rookie, it's you know.
Speaker 3: First, you might be fighting it a little bit.
Speaker 4: This is saying this is off the top of my head. So I don't know if this is exactly right, but it's close. I believe he was targeted four times to say he had one catch, so that wasn't that wasn't the part that was I think that that gives him seventeen targets in the last three games and five catches. Yeah, yeah, and then I mean I think he had three three for seven against San Francisco, one for six last week and one for four today. And there was another one that he was targeted on that he didn't catch, that was overturned for a penalty when the kid for Houston got the hands to the face, so that doesn't count. He was, you know, similarly blanketed on that play too, So maybe he's you know, struggling a little bit. You know, I know it's a little early for the rookie wall kind of stuff, but no, but it's an it's because I agree with Mike. Those catches that he dropped today, those two passes, he literally caught every one of those in training camp and so far, like that's what anything he's gotten his hands on he's caught.
Speaker 3: Yes, something that was a typical of him wondering.
Speaker 8: Kind of like narrative busting. Like it's like, you know, you have this impression of a guy of all, right, he's not going to be the downfield speed guy, but like he's going to be a consistent hands guy, and he hasn't been that the last week. He's got to turn it around.
Speaker 13: They need him.
Speaker 10: Host, Matt, I do think that we need to devote some time of this show just really breaking down May's day. I mean, you know, really honestly.
Speaker 3: I have a feeling the next hour and going to always first.
Speaker 5: The first thing I started the shoot, Boss Fred is the lose forty one to twenty one.
Speaker 3: I don't think we're going to be talking about the game.
Speaker 10: No, I think I think this is we should really talk about, you know, what we saw that we like, what we saw that he needs to work on.
Speaker 3: So I bring up two other things.
Speaker 4: I think Fred's right, and I agree, and I'll just say, like real quick, three third down penalties and like the first fifteen minutes and four seconds on failed third downs, three third down penalties on failed third downs for the defense. Today you get a penalty on the opening kickoff by the guy coming off of pup, you know, moving too soon, see ony taki taki, just another day of sloppiness with penalties.
Speaker 10: Well you guys, you guys haven't heard the coach yet, but wait till you hear him.
Speaker 3: Okay, good now that might excite that already heard me?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, that might. Well I didn't hear all of it, but I heard his opening remarks.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't know what he's doing with the red cutoff hoodie too. That was just a throwback to headache that.
Speaker 3: So we're the two things I just want to bring up.
Speaker 5: Is it kicking a guy when it's down. I'm not saying that he has to has to be on the list Austin Hooper, like a guy's just trying to make a play too much, like you can't give it up there.
Speaker 3: No, it's just more sloppiness. It's a bad fumbles.
Speaker 5: Bad And I guess I'm gonna say maybe credit to the Houston Advanced scouting staff, like they they wanted the Patriots to feel the ball and kick returns, and you know.
Speaker 3: What they covered. They did a really good job.
Speaker 4: Believe they had one back to the thirty. Now, I don't know if they do that all year. That's there, that's their thing. They want to try to get you inside the thirty. But that's the first game that I've seen and I'm not talking about Patriots game. That's the first game that I've seen that that's been the case. A team went into the game and they said with the game plan. We're going to kick it and make them return it, and we're going to cover it every time. Yeah, I have seen a game like that yet, and they did and they did it really he got to the thirty once. I think maybe the second kick of the game. He got to the thirty. Every other one, I don't know if it was hasty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's best return. That's the one that got to the thirty. Yeah, that was it.
Speaker 5: He wiped out the gatorade bucket for somebody wiped out the gatorade bucket.
Speaker 4: But every other one he was he had to. It was hard pressed to get to the twenty five. Yeah, their coverage was outstanding. Houston's coverage was excellent.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we've handled the good, we've handled the bad. From an injury standpoint, it wasn't like last week. They didn't come out clean. Low got Was it friendly fire that got Darian Low.
Speaker 8: Just twisted up like you know in the past rush he was on the ground. I actually know. I'm thinking to Jordan, I'm sorry I didn't see. I didn't see the Low and it was an ankle. But he's he's been banged up a lot.
Speaker 5: It's unbelieve that guy.
Speaker 3: The same injury though, right, the ankle isn't that.
Speaker 8: Point and then he was back, Well that was a couple of weeks and the oblique I think was a couple of weeks ago. So he just you know, he gets banged up a lot. I think that's what we're kind of finding out with him. And as much as they wanted that continuity came into this game. I mean, I think we probably spent the first hour and a half of the pregame show talking about, hey, they finally had some off and then it was like, wait, Ben Brown's at center, and then it was like, oh, Venerian Lowe's out, and then you know, Michael Jordan went out briefly. He did come back, which was a good Signmapu went out with a neck which he was astute probably a stinger, yep, which is always a.
Speaker 4: I ruled that a stinger from a far and I believe I channeled my inner Brian Morey.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 3: He's done. Right.
Speaker 5: What about did Gibson go out? He took a shot along the sideline, so it never saw him again.
Speaker 10: He got he got.
Speaker 3: I think he may have.
Speaker 14: Mad.
Speaker 3: I don't think they never announced anything for him, but there was a point where.
Speaker 10: All of a sudden beating today.
Speaker 4: I don't know if they just decided we don't need to give him any more hits, or if he was dealing with something because.
Speaker 3: He took it right. What did the thirteen for nineteen like? He did not have a chance today.
Speaker 5: Okay, so we got through the good, the bad, and the injured. Why don't we regroup and, as the Boss Mean suggested, let's get into dissect and analyze Drake May When we return, you're listening and watching to the Patriots postgame show presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 12: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL because when the game is on the line, and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 1: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from Gelette lapse. This green bar releases trapped hairs from my face game changing well a flex this contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair in one stroke. For the ultimate to let shaving experience.
Speaker 3: The best to make can get is to let lapse By the.
Speaker 11: Time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with Pepsi.
Speaker 12: Without good blocking, your team's not going anywhere. Cisco blocks cyber attacks for customers around the world, including the entire Fortune one hundred and the NFL, because when the game is on the line, and it's always on the line, the NFL relies on Cisco.
Speaker 1: It ain't my dad's razor dot hey watch, it's from Jeallett Lapse. This green bar releases trapped.
Speaker 3: Hairs from my face.
Speaker 1: Game change well afflex This contours to it so the five blades can get virtually every hair one stroke. For the ultimate ge let shaving experience. The best to make can get is Gelett Lapse.
Speaker 11: By the time this Patriots fan is finished drinking his pepsi, you'll be fifteen seconds closer to game time. Patriots watching better with pepsi.
Speaker 15: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your teams out of market games every Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Come on from kickoff to.
Speaker 15: Sign off from first downs and touchdowns, Oh yay to turnovers, no and overturn plays.
Speaker 6: After review, the pass was incomplete.
Speaker 3: Nice I know this season?
Speaker 15: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV, and a new phone excludes digital only games.
Speaker 3: Turns and Embargo's apply.
Speaker 16: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes, Oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now meets next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 15: You've got to watch your NFL team every Sunday, and Verizon's got you covered for all your teams out of market games every Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: Come on from kick off.
Speaker 15: To sign off from first downs and touchdowns right to turnovers, no and overturn plays.
Speaker 6: After review, the pass was incomplete.
Speaker 3: Nice I do this season?
Speaker 15: Win every Sunday with Verizon, Get a great deal on NFL Sunday ticket from YouTube and YouTube TV.
Speaker 3: And a new phone excludes digital only games. Turns Inbargo's apply.
Speaker 16: When someone accidentally threw away the school play costumes. Oh No, replacements were shipped with FedEx and with picture proof of delivery, everyone could focus on the perfect opening night FedEx where now it's next for residential delivery only.
Speaker 2: Join the conversation by calling into the TVX hotline at eight five to five PATS five hundred, or email the show at podcasts at Patriots dot com. Now live from our studios, here is Matt Smith, and we.
Speaker 5: Welcome you back inside Juette Stadium, where the Patriots lose to the Texans today by I score forty one to twenty one. The Patriots postgame show is sponsored by Draft Kings. Stay tuned because you'll hear more about Draft Kings and all it has to offer throughout the show. Draft Kings, The Crown is yours. The Patriots are now one and five on the season. Paul, your laptop is up. And as we said, I think we've pretty much discussed the game.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about Drake. May give me a stat line, please, sir?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like we like we said, mixed bag twenty for thirty three two and forty three yards, three touchdowns, two picks and a loss fumble. Now I would say how many sacks?
Speaker 8: Hope, police, it was like four, maybe three or four. It was all Hunter and his trend created.
Speaker 10: To be sure, tonight he will four sacks and he ran for how many of yards?
Speaker 4: He did a good, great job with his legs. Five for thirty eight yards with a long and fifteen So yeah, he did a great job with his legs.
Speaker 3: A lot of stuff to like.
Speaker 4: From a stat line perspective, just you know, to put it all into context, two hundred and forty three yards blows away anything they did in the first five games crossingep you know, they were averaging one hundred and nineteen yards passing a game. Yeah, so twenty one points, that's the high watermark. Twenty was the previous best against Seattle. So some good, some bad. Forty one allowed is also the high water mark, and a big part of the reason for that of the four turnovers, three of which were on May. So yeah, a lot of a lot of good and a lot of bad, you know, which is to be expected.
Speaker 5: Fred, Are you prepared to say after watching one game that they've now gone from a team that did not have a serviceable passing game. Do they have a serviceable passing game now?
Speaker 10: No? Not until they fixed the.
Speaker 3: Lots of line Okay, yeah, I agree with Freddy.
Speaker 10: But they have a serviceable passer, yes, and maybe even more than that. Right, But in terms of the total game, I mean, he's under siege every almost every play. You know, toward the end of the first half, he wasn't because you know, Jacksonville was not Jacksonville. Who were they playing today? Houston was playing back a little bit. They weren't rushing as many, and he had a little bit more time and it showed. But you know, for the most part, there's always somebody in his face. I think, you know, he was a little flustered at times back there. I think he needs to work on his pocket awareness. A lot of times he's bouncing off guys like a pinball back there, and sometimes he escapes, sometimes he didn't, but you know, he his his pocket awareness of what's going around him needs to be improved. His accuracy was off at times, but again, you know that could be from you know, you don't know when you're gonna help. Yeah, right, so, but so that will improve. But the mobility, the arm strength, the ability to extend plays, all that's stuff that we were told was there. We saw glimpses of all of that, and I think we saw glimpses of the future.
Speaker 5: I'm sure enough not smart enough Mike to really comment accurately or with any kind of respectability on his footwork, but that was a big topic of discussion draft after the draft. In training camp, did you see anything in his footwork that would make you think it's improved if it wasn't very good or still needs work as far as his footwork is concerned, I mean nothing to watch the film, Matt, Yeah, I figured I knew that it was got.
Speaker 8: To take to the tape for that one, but I just echo, you know what Fred said. I think my expectations this this was a little bit on like steroids. Like I felt like, I'll throw a touchdown, but he's gonna turn one over. I didn't expect like he's gonna throw three touchdown. It's gonna have you know, four three turnovers, you know, and some of the some of the balls, like I talked about with him just being a little sporadic and it's being high, and there were a couple where I did feel like he had time and you know, I don't know if it was specific to his footwork or him you know, just being uncomfortable generally, but I think he sprayed a couple that that were probably a little bit easier than than he made him out to be.
Speaker 3: So that's a good you.
Speaker 5: Know, you talked about down in the pregame show. He said, geez, the worst thing that could happen what you didn't want to see Wash gift a pick to an opposing player. I don't know that I would call this a gift, but he certainly sailed that first interception where it looked like the guy was open underneath and the ball just sailed on roat, you know, and that might be nerves.
Speaker 10: Yep, you know, yeah, sure he had.
Speaker 4: As we saw this summer, he had a couple others that got away and they went on. You know, there was a crosser I think that Douglas. Douglas reached his hand back and you're like, oh boy, because those are the ones that get picked, yes, you know, and you know that they fell. Yeah, there was there was a lot. He sprayed it around. Yeah, he was all over the fairway.
Speaker 8: And like it's like you can throw a forty yard dive that drops right into booty, but the throw bloody was perfect ten yard crosser. It was a little you know, so I just think that's youth, and you know he'll he'll get those things is he gets more calm.
Speaker 10: So so here's the thing, here's the challenge to the coaching staff right now.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it's the same one that I said, fred Bie.
Speaker 10: Well, you got eleven games left? Do you coach? I'm talking about the offense mostly, but do you coach the games going forward to give the team the best chance to win? Or do you coach the games to develop your fa And those could be opposed?
Speaker 3: Actually, so how so explain that?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 10: Like, you know, like I want to see them run an offense in plays that will test may that will test his limits, that will see what he can do, you know, and the results be damned. You know if he has another game where he turns it over three times and I don't care, but I want, I want to I want to see play calling that you know, accentuates the talents that we think he has.
Speaker 4: So where would you say, where would you put today's play calling in that regard?
Speaker 3: Well, I thought they put more on his plate than I was.
Speaker 10: Well no, but I think they got behind so early that they had a throw. But what happens if it's close. Do they keep it close.
Speaker 4: To And I know that a lot of people are going to say on the opening drive, you know, so Houston goes right down the field seven nothing to come out, run, run third and long, you know, And and I get it, like that's what they did, you know.
Speaker 3: But I thought for the most part they.
Speaker 4: Treated it like a regular He's just a regular quarterback, not not a quarterback making his first start.
Speaker 3: I agree. I didn't see a lot of training wheels.
Speaker 10: I agree with that. But will they do that going forward?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, no, It's an interesting thing.
Speaker 5: We shall see because the one in five New England Patriots.
Speaker 10: Listen twelve and five is still on the table.
Speaker 8: There you go, Freddy, go to London.
Speaker 3: Quarterback. The question is, like.
Speaker 10: The question is how do they think they can get those twelve wins?
Speaker 5: The cheap the X hotline is eight five to five Pats five hundred. You can reach us via electronic meal with podcast at Patriots dot com. Cameron is up first and has been waiting patiently. Good afternoon, Cameron, you are first in the Patriots postgame shit him.
Speaker 17: Hey, there guys, just a couple of things I want to kind of rattle off to you, I thought, Uh. I thought the defense was terrible, especially on third down defense. I understand they went four for eleven, but and in situations where they really needed to stop two pass interppearance, I thought was unnecessary.
Speaker 4: And you'd make a good point because those don't count in the four for eleven. That's like six for old you know what I mean? Those those are those are conversions that don't count.
Speaker 3: The stats.
Speaker 17: Correct, And I just mean, yeah, you're you're right, I mean either way, Like and then in situations where we could have splash, should have had stops, I thought that the cover would the coverage. We're terrible. Pass interferences were super bad, I thought, Uh, I thought Drake May, I'm definitely encouraged by the way he played. Obviously there were some ups, there's some downs, but I thought, for the most part, I'm encouraged by uh by what I saw. I thought Antonio Gibson, it's kind of proved to me that he was not And every down back I thought his du cane driving to uh to keep it simple was was discouraging. I'll say I was not encouraged at all by the way he ran.
Speaker 10: UH.
Speaker 6: But but that's.
Speaker 17: Pretty much it. The note question just just just to kind of a couple of things out, no questions, just to come.
Speaker 3: Man, I don't think you've so much of it.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Cameron. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Pinballing up this up the middle and I thought he was getting hit immediately.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and the one day they held him up low and then another guy came high and he's just like I thought he was going to break his back.
Speaker 5: Uh, let's go next to Nelson in Los Angeles. Nelson, you're next on the Patriot's post game show? Are you excited? Nelson after watching Drake May today, sirs.
Speaker 18: That means look at the light. That means we got something going on. I should have started before we played the Jets. He would have been better in this game. I would have started three week ago week one.
Speaker 10: We would have won this game if he had started week one.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 4: I think I think as long as he's healthy, he's going to start the rest of them.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 18: Yeah, I think the actually potential on that guy. I see a lot of potential that the other quarterback didn't have. And one more thing, Oh do we do we drop that?
Speaker 10: We usually generally yeah, usually, you know, like when it happens once we.
Speaker 3: Put him on probation, and yeah, you know they.
Speaker 10: Go by the way. By the way, you know, he played the whole game. I think I looked at the injuries. I think he's still alive, Drake May Do you think he survived? I don't know.
Speaker 4: If I would, I would hold on your victory last. So the injury report comes out next week. I don't I'm going to tell you right now he going beyond it.
Speaker 10: I don't think he think so.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I don't.
Speaker 10: I don't think he's ruined.
Speaker 4: The ruins thing is where I jump on board. He took a lot of big hits today, yeah, and he was slow getting up a lot today.
Speaker 10: But there was one that.
Speaker 3: It's called football. If I'm with Fred's premise here.
Speaker 10: I mean we talked like we were sending him out, you know, in World War One, to the front line with a rifle and a banet. You know, it's like, here you go, kid, fight the Germans.
Speaker 4: So this the play that Low gets hurt on as well as he goes down, does he get on the back right there, right right on Low's ankle?
Speaker 5: Could call there, Paul Hope, says Cynthia, who says yes, we lost, but how many people thought we'd score twenty one points? Imagine that that's now the barometer. I mean, we were messing and we still had unnecessary penalties, capitol letters. But there are things we can clean up. Drake made moves with his legs.
Speaker 3: Pop.
Speaker 5: Douglas showed up. Remember this is a game we weren't expected to do well and let alone win. We showed up and we showed that we don't give up. We can do better next game.
Speaker 3: I just want to.
Speaker 4: Caution, like the offense wasn't really any better today, like overall, Like there were past plays that were better than anything we've seen the offense, and I know that they all count. And I said at the beginning of the show, I think Mike, even before you came down, when Jacoby was the quarterback, we didn't get garbage touchdowns at the end of the game when the games were over.
Speaker 3: We got one today. Deal Like whatever. They didn't really do much offensively for a long time in this game.
Speaker 8: No, I was just gonna highlight the touchdown throw in the thirty five yard and it pop, which is you just don't see those explosive plays around here. It's been a long time since those.
Speaker 3: Are the plays on focus, you know, because we haven't had any.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I know, that's what we were talking about. When was the last time of forty yards in the air pass and the into the end zone? I mean, I don't know if we ever saw that, Mike.
Speaker 4: You and I like to talk about like, you know, what can we what can we bring forward?
Speaker 3: What's sustainable?
Speaker 19: Right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, you know Drake May running around for a few minutes looking like he's gonna run, then all of a sudden stopping just before the line of scrimmage and finding a wide open hunter Like that's probably not a play that's going to happen a lot, but those are the off platform plays that Drake May can make.
Speaker 3: That Jacobe Prissett cough platform.
Speaker 10: I love it.
Speaker 5: The future from Dean in Liverpool in the UK Wonderfield be at the game next week. No, it wasn't perfect, but it was filled with moments to give us optimism moving forward. That Drake May is our future and we should build the team around him. Imagine this kid with protection and just one outstanding receiver. Drake May is the future, so says Dean from Liverpool.
Speaker 4: I think you know what you're gonna need with all of that, you need the protection. Fred talked about that off the top, and I think Fred, you also mentioned some weapons. You're also gonna need him to figure out how to be accurate because you can't leave as many completions on the field.
Speaker 3: As he did today. Okay, so that's gonna have to be part of it too.
Speaker 5: So to Fred's point that he made earlier, can we let him go through that this year and work on the accuracy issues?
Speaker 3: I would be stunted better start the rest of the games. Barring an injury, of course, but I.
Speaker 5: Think we're gonna be seeing accuracy issues and hopefully we're going to see improvement as the year goes on.
Speaker 3: That's what you better hope for, really hope.
Speaker 10: So really, you know, I don't think there's any question, barring injury, he's going to start every one of these games. My question is how will they coach them. Will they you know, we're a running team, you know, and and go that way, or will they let this kid air it out? You know?
Speaker 5: I mean, so well, I was just let's let's make a couple of assumptions it's a winnable game next week. Can we all agree on that Yeah, sure, sure, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeahs Sup's certainly winnable.
Speaker 5: Let's say that Stevenson comes back next week. What if they find themselves in a low scoring game, like a tractor pull thirteen ten thirteen doll game. You know, do you owe it to them, to these guys who are given their sweat and their tears, we got to win the game.
Speaker 10: It's a fair question.
Speaker 5: It's a protect the game, don't turn it over.
Speaker 10: No, no, no, it's a fair question. Like That's why I'm saying it's a tough thing because you know, like there's a lot of other guys on this team too. It's not just Drake Man. They want to win, Yeah, they want to win.
Speaker 8: I just think that this offense for so long you felt like they're dead in the water. If they get down by two scores and just to see a couple throws down the field, that makes you think that this kid could lead an offense that has some explosive potential. Like to me, that means so much in this NFL. You cannot compete on the narrow road to victory that we hammer year in and year out the last three years about get down by fourteen dead Let's.
Speaker 10: Break down the picks.
Speaker 3: Was that for me? It was a great It was a great mic. Just so rant I love it.
Speaker 10: Let's let's break down the picks.
Speaker 3: The first one was terrible.
Speaker 10: Yeah, he just both of them sailed it, both of them.
Speaker 3: The first one was terrible, the second one. You can't have that pass.
Speaker 5: I mean yeah, yeah, he's gotta he's got to recognize it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I blame that, you know, not downs at the line on the quarterback.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I also would blame I think it was Jacobs. I think that needs to be a cut block.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean I'm not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of Alonzo Stag's.
Speaker 8: Got good time and just sales.
Speaker 4: That's a terrible that that one's that one's a terrible throat and he had others kind of like that.
Speaker 3: That landed harmlessly today.
Speaker 8: I love on the tackle though Paul wasn't thinking no Drake, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, the whole time, I no, get out of it, get out.
Speaker 5: Of it, separates the shoulder on you know, bright future from Houston. Drake may showed a lot of promise today. Some issues to be sold, for sure, but maybe the best rookie debut for a quarterback.
Speaker 3: In Pat's history.
Speaker 5: Very excited for what's to come, at least for the off Like.
Speaker 3: What did we watch? What did I miss?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 10: But first of all, was there better one? Better debut by a quarterback rookie?
Speaker 3: Like, forget that it was they haven't had one in a long long time, right, well years ago.
Speaker 10: Oh, I guess Mac mac Jones was a rookie. You forget about it. I just I kind of watched.
Speaker 8: Do you remember first start?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean Bailey's happies first start was better than that. I mean, I'm just saying it was right the T game. I believe that was his first.
Speaker 10: No, it was Cleveland.
Speaker 4: Cleveland's even better, Right, Cleveland, it was even better. There was like, you guys aren't going to do this to me. You guys are going to go so over the top and you're gonna get me to be negative. I don't want to do it because I'm too excited about the Booty throw, the Douglas throw, Like That's what I'm going to focus on.
Speaker 3: But when it wasn't, the first.
Speaker 10: Dog was going to be good.
Speaker 3: You knew, all right, Paul just so he's like.
Speaker 4: Lovers, so so he needs the quarterback to make him good, is what you're telling. Because he has never looked the way he looked on that play.
Speaker 10: Ever, that's not true.
Speaker 3: He's never had a play like that.
Speaker 10: He had that great play in Dallas. That perception.
Speaker 8: I just give Will Anderson credit. I mean, it's he's a good player. Huh, got deflected and what a cat.
Speaker 4: Can't No, it's an unbelievable the fact that it gets intercepted.
Speaker 3: It's not Drake May's fault.
Speaker 4: Like that's a great, great individual play. But I don't even know who the guy is that picked it off. But you can't get the ball batted down on those plays. Like I'm with Fred Paul.
Speaker 5: Just to finish us up another topic that I know you love. On another note, this is from Houston. Again, the officiating was criminal today.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't have.
Speaker 5: Changed the up with the game by any means, but wow, I was love speechless on a few of those calls, non calls.
Speaker 3: Love the shows. Keep the cut.
Speaker 4: The face mask was an agreed that that was the.
Speaker 10: Other one.
Speaker 3: First it was a penalty.
Speaker 4: I thought it was like, now here's where I would be upsetify with the Patriots. I thought the Patriots interfered worse than later in the game, called Gonzales on on Diggs at the corner of the end zone was more contact and Mapool won. The deflected pick was more like, I'd rather see those let go. But Fred's Fred called it live. Fret's had a really strong season Live, okay. Mapoo was on Schultz like, I think people think that the call was on the back of the end zone where a throw web. Now that's not where the call was.
Speaker 5: Another officiating question from Nick, and I said the same thing live. But of course nobody's around me but me myself, and I so like.
Speaker 3: You can't prove it.
Speaker 5: But Nick questions, there was a flag for legal formation that we accepted after a third down stop.
Speaker 3: Actually it was, it was, but it was a completion they had to take. They had to take the penalty.
Speaker 10: See what happened on the on the broadcast, is that you saw the ref right by the play He called it.
Speaker 3: Out, yes, but the other guy.
Speaker 10: Ruled him and said it was Then they talked and they ruled it a catch, so the Patriots had to take the penal.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 5: So Nick finishes what I was thinking, Did we have an option to decline? If so, is Mail outside out of his mind? No, I never saw the referee on the other side the same thing.
Speaker 3: Why why are we not just declining that let.
Speaker 10: Him kick right?
Speaker 4: So I actually had said something to Frank because I figured that was going to be a topic on the blog like that people were gonna because that's one of those things that sometimes the TV doesn't pick it up right. And you see it, and that guy came. The guy came from the back and ran up and emphatically gave it the catch signal if the problem.
Speaker 10: Was the play was just as emphatic saying and that was funny.
Speaker 4: I think he was just pouting because he's the one who called the penalty on the on the illegal shift.
Speaker 3: He caught it, But that doesn't matter now. I mean that was that was confusing.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: David Maine writes an exciting loss, this word shouldn't be in the same sentence.
Speaker 4: This is where I have to like, this is what I mean. I'm gonna end up getting negative in a place where I don't want to like. This was not anywhere near as good as some of these people are making it out to be.
Speaker 5: Right, Dave writes, I'm not a more victory guy again, and that was often close to one. But this is the best I felt after a loss, ever, very promising futurehead. Three tds in your first game is pretty remarkable, really, especially throwing to these characters. By the way, Matt looks like a grown up Ralphie from a Christmas story.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen that movie, so just give him the bunny is.
Speaker 8: You can't shoot your eye out with those glasses at least.
Speaker 5: Okay, Kevin from Nashville has been waiting patiently. You are next on the Patriots postgame show.
Speaker 14: Kevin, Hello, I want to talk about the colossal mistake that a certain ball the radio said this week.
Speaker 3: That would probably be me.
Speaker 14: It was, it was, it was one of your favorite co hosts. But anyways, I think.
Speaker 4: Won you're not bold.
Speaker 14: I'm talking about masks. Anyways, the other.
Speaker 10: Show, I'm sorry, Kevin.
Speaker 3: Show starting mistakes loudly streaming.
Speaker 14: I don't see how that would be the case, because he got some of his rookie jitters out. There's no chance they're winning that game, for said, so he got some good plays out. He got some terrible plays out, like yeah, probably two terrible plays, double questionable plays. But he has some good.
Speaker 10: Plays, oh, Kevin, Like mass isn't alone. There's a whole you know, cottage industry of people right now saying that, you know.
Speaker 3: How can they do it?
Speaker 10: You know, Orlovsky and and everybody they you know, like I said, it's like they were sending this kid out to the front lines in World War One.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Orlovsky is not as much about gold as he is. He just doesn't think he's ready. He thinks he has a lot of developing.
Speaker 10: Okay, let's let's go. Let's get the development.
Speaker 3: The pearl clutches are all the local media like what why not Miami?
Speaker 4: That was a winnable game, Like why is like the chances to win the number one criteria that play.
Speaker 3: You've been pretty consistent, Paul. If he's ready playing, that's what you've been saying.
Speaker 4: Now, I understand watching that game today, I understand why they were patient.
Speaker 3: He's not ready. He's not. But like I'm telling you, it's nukele loose.
Speaker 4: Do you remember like the scene when you know, you know, like after the game and they're talking about him, like they're they're going all over his stats, and it's like, you know, fourteen strikeouts, new league record, thirteen walks. That's what it was today. There was enough really good explosive plays that you're like, this.
Speaker 3: Is what he does.
Speaker 4: You see him move around the pocket, he found Hunter Henry and the bomb at the end of the half, and then you see him just a routine throw over the middle. It's like eight miles over the guy's head. There was enough of those today too to understand why they've been reluctant to play them.
Speaker 5: Duce, is this a fair question to ask? What's this game look like?
Speaker 8: If Brisette played, Well, it's probably still fourteen nothing at halftime, and you know, but maybe he doesn't turn it over early, and you know, it's probably like a twenty eight to nothing, right then instead of it.
Speaker 3: I think it might twenty one. I disagree.
Speaker 4: I think it would have been like, you know, like a lower scoring game that they lost by like ten, right.
Speaker 8: Well maybe yeah, but I mean they got with no not at all.
Speaker 4: Right, chances of winning were the same, right, I totally agree, But I think they might have lost like twenty four to fourteen.
Speaker 10: You're not giving them points.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, there's you know, it's hard to imagine. Was it the second touchdown drive? Yeah, the one the Hunter Henry that was almost all passes, right, Yes, although that that's the one that had the there was a lot going on. Scramble, A scramble throw for the big chunk to Hunter Henry. I think happened on the drive that eventually ended with a Henry touchdown. There's no way that percent eats that touchdown drive, zero point zero, No way.
Speaker 3: That would be.
Speaker 8: My only pushback is like I feel like on each of their scoring drives something happened that you probably wouldn't have seen out of presette, you know, Like I just I don't know where the points would have He's not throwing that forty yard.
Speaker 3: Touchdown in twenty five.
Speaker 4: Of the points that Houston got wouldn't have happened if per sent it plays. And that's like, that's what I'm saying. It would have been a low scoring closer game that they similarly, as Fred said, had no chance to win.
Speaker 10: And that's the thing. Are you willing to give the other team points in order to develop this kid? Right?
Speaker 8: I think that's that's that's a good way to put it. I mean, that's that is really it.
Speaker 3: I just sacrificed today right for a benefit.
Speaker 10: Tool, and I would think most fans who want that high draft pick would be all in on that.
Speaker 3: Sign me a question to watch today's game over any of.
Speaker 10: The question is is the locker room going to be in on that?
Speaker 5: Well, that's a good question, I think.
Speaker 8: So I think the locker room is going to be like we are here and you know, they're going to take the positives, and you know, I also just I think it's a kid that got beat up out there, and they like, if I'm Jalen Polk, I'm like, damn, I didn't do my part to help my guy today.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: If I'm the offensive line, I'm saying, we got that kid killed. Like, no, disrespected Jacoby Brissette, but like he's a veteran, he's tough, he's big, he can handle it.
Speaker 3: That's why we got him.
Speaker 8: And now it's come on, guys.
Speaker 10: That was that was kind of my hope today. You know, before you know, Ben Brown came in, but my hope was like, you know, whoever it was, Scott Peters or Van Pelt or or Girodmeo, you know, gave them the you know, the offensive line that like, you know, damn it, no matter what happens, you know, And that's what Parcells did. When Bledsoe came in, he he got in front of the line. He said, I don't care what you have to do, do not let them touch this guy. And I think you know, and the works. But he had better players.
Speaker 4: He never he never really got sacked in his career when that wouldn't have happened.
Speaker 5: But now you have you remember that play we got turned down by Bruce Smith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he got sacked like eighteen times or something like that as a rookie. They got sacked eighteen times last week.
Speaker 8: No, I don't, but now you have these plays to point to and say, if we protect him, this is what this kid is capable of.
Speaker 10: Listen, there's plenty of film for the maid to watch and learn from this game.
Speaker 8: That's the thing that was funny about Houston countering and scoring a lot quick. It was like he's back on the field to get like he got a lot of extra plays just because the defense, you know, allowed some of those scoring.
Speaker 4: It's like the fifty four yard touchdown back the don.
Speaker 10: Just want to I want to know that. What did I say when they had that offensive penalty on first down in Mega first at least they got another.
Speaker 8: Place just accelerate the process.
Speaker 5: Chain lawyers, we changed Channon at Lanta rights sigh, it is what it is. Drake played well. At the same time, the defense was missing too many pieces to overcome the short fields that they were having to defend. The penalties once again played too much of a factor. Forty one points is unacceptable, but he is also understandable.
Speaker 3: All things considered.
Speaker 5: I think a little bit of Chad's all over the place.
Speaker 4: Because I think they're ignoring the why they were on so many short fields.
Speaker 3: Correct, and they.
Speaker 4: Were on short fields because of turnovers by Drake May Like those are like you have to evaluate everything. You can say for his first start, there was a lot to be excited about, but you can't say that was a good performance, no, Like based on the NFL average, Yeah, you know, but I put.
Speaker 10: Them on the good list. I didn't say, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Different, and I like agree with bred. Like if this was Derek Carr, like, you know, that's why he stakes, you would say that's why he stanks.
Speaker 8: But he was a tease right, Plus that punt return early five George five times Houston took over in Patriots territory.
Speaker 3: Five Yes, right.
Speaker 5: Poor punt, poor poor punt covered his worst game today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he had a couple of ones.
Speaker 5: All I know I've been harping on this. The golden age of punchs continues. Houston's got a weapon.
Speaker 3: Huh? That kid was the first one? Was good? Then?
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 3: I think his hangtime was over five at least one of them, towering one.
Speaker 4: Shanked one out of bounds and in the second one gave up some field position there.
Speaker 5: Alex from Raleigh, North Carolina rights may can play, showed some flashes. Hard for him to do much with defensive lineman in the backfield office often he can move, he can make good throws. Do you all wish he'd started from week one?
Speaker 3: Get those? I wish he had started. I wish he started one.
Speaker 5: But that's not Revision's history, right, Like, do you really pull the tape and.
Speaker 3: Listen to that? Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah, Do you really think that he's that much better? He would have been that much better now in week six than he would have been week one. Like, no, no, I so start in week one, right.
Speaker 5: I'm with the panel on the optimism with Drake May I predicted this offseason our first draft pick will be an offensive line and I don't think Vegas would touch that one.
Speaker 3: Correct, Yeah, it certainly seems that way.
Speaker 8: I mean, you'll, you'll, you'll get some sense next week against Jacksonville where.
Speaker 19: They're going to be picking him.
Speaker 5: I was saying something, boy, that's a tough one. In week seven, I said something to Tamara as we're watching the final seconds of this game, and I said, you know, call me old fashioned, but the game is built on, you know, blocking and tackling in their offensive line and their defensive.
Speaker 3: Line leave a lot to be desired.
Speaker 5: And that's why all the will the old school built from the inside out.
Speaker 3: And you can certainly see.
Speaker 10: Hey, by the way, what's the news on barb where everyone's saying, oh, looks like we'll be getting him back sooner than later.
Speaker 8: He tweeted an hour glass.
Speaker 3: No so well.
Speaker 4: On Friday, Mayo was asked about it, and I believe the question was posed similar to this, would you say that it's fair to suggest that you think there's a better chance that he could return this year than you did a month ago? When he said, I think that's fair. Okay, so you might get a chance to see him back at some point before.
Speaker 3: The season's over, I would say, based on what your odd said.
Speaker 8: On Friday, okay, I just say along those lines too, defensively, and I was just a little disappointed to kind of see them back in the Tavai inside McMillan inside, you know, Mapu was more in this kind of just primary safety.
Speaker 4: He was flat Yeah, he was flat out safety today, you know, for the most part with Duggar and then he was in and out.
Speaker 8: I just didn't I didn't love it. I didn't love it. I think they got to find something new, something new with those guys.
Speaker 5: Speaking of which, David from Madrid, Spain rights, I'm very concerned about the problem the defense is having stopping the run. Last week they get a TV bit just they got a touchdown by just running, and now they give the Texans one hundred and ninety two yards rushing. With Mixon, who just came back from injury, it was nice to see him get some your to the year, but there still aren't enough third down conversions for this team. Let's hope that that gets better.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I thought there were times when the run defense was better today, but the numbers are what they are and too many big plays.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got to be better.
Speaker 4: You can't allow two hundred yards rushing back to back weeks.
Speaker 5: Matt Morrell, yay, or nay on the HC we do. And so as we were talking a lot about the Patriots defense, Fred teased it earlier, but let's go to the head coach who was not happy with the team's defense when they met the media.
Speaker 6: You know, the penalties in the first half, just too many.
Speaker 20: It's the same story over and over again that four turnovers, three or four turnovers in the game.
Speaker 6: Can't win if you lose that battle.
Speaker 20: Defensively, I would say just the fundamentals of just tackling our run.
Speaker 6: Fits have to improve. They have to improve.
Speaker 20: And I told all those guys, I said, you should feel like crap today. You should feel like crap. You take away those two long runs. We had two runs over fifty yard and so I mean, it's just not winning football offensively. I thought they did some things that were encouraging. Obviously still not enough the turnovers. One was on a tip ball, but that's the way the league is. I thought Drake made some good decisions out there. I thought he had some good reads. I thought he tried to get the ball out of his hands. I thought he did a good job extending players with his legs and picking up first downs.
Speaker 6: So just got to be better fire.
Speaker 21: Away Gerard on on Drake, is that kind of what you hoped you would see as far as some of the things that he was able to do and kind of did you have that little bit of okay that forty yard dropping the bucket pass to Kaishawn that cuts you guys back into the game to end the half.
Speaker 20: Yeah, and look, we fully anticipate or expect him to be better going forward. You know, it was his first start. Obviously here at home. There was a lot of expectations on him. I thought he handled it well, so got a build on him. I thought he showed a lot of I thought he showed a lot of boys. I thought he went out there and controlled the huddle, got those guys out of the huddle, and.
Speaker 6: Once again made some place.
Speaker 20: And it's definitely encouraging, you know, as you know, from a team wide perspective, right now, we're just we're gonna we let him down. You know, it was his first game and I feel like I let him down. I'm sure all the coaches feel like we let everyone down, and it's got to be better.
Speaker 22: Throughout the first few games, you've emphasized the passing game as something that needs to improve today, I felt like we saw the receivers getting a little more involved. Just what would you say to the passing game today, specifically as it relates.
Speaker 10: To Drake May.
Speaker 20: Yeah, I would say, first, there were some good pockets. Let's start with upfront. I thought the offensive line at times definitely had some good pockets to allow the quarterback to make those throws. But once again, it's a team wide sport, and we don't feel very good about anything.
Speaker 7: Right now, Gerard, with the offensive line, the left side going down with Vederian and Michael, how tough is it right now to keep a cohesive unit together with how far down the depth chart you guys are at that spot.
Speaker 20: It's very tough. And you know, every single week is a different combination of players. It's tough to get in. You know, it's tough for those guys to really build that camaraderie or that communication.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 20: But again, like the the backup players, they have to prepare like their starters every week. And uh, we'll see how we came out of this game, but you know, it's definitely definitely an issue for us.
Speaker 3: Drid.
Speaker 12: You mentioned the penalties from a coaching staff standpoint, What can you do on your end to get those numbers down.
Speaker 20: Look, we talk about it all the time, and and you know, Saturday night meetings, we talk about what crew is gonna be out there.
Speaker 6: Uh, you know how.
Speaker 20: Frequ what do they call frequently? And we knew that this crew is gonna, you know, a high penalty calling crew. I thought the second half kind of cleaned it up a little bit, but there's way too many penalties in the game.
Speaker 23: Right girod A couple questions ago, you said that you, along with the players and so on, the coaching staff, let Drake down? Could you be more sport What you meant by that not.
Speaker 20: Really a coaching staff. Look, we're all I mean, we feel like crap right now. And I would say, just for a rookie quarterback to go out there and do some good things, you know, do some good things. I just felt like, you know, we could have did a better job supporting Pop.
Speaker 13: Douglas had ninety two receiving yards, most you guys have had in more than a year. He seemed to come off the field when you go to those two receiver sets. Do you think he can function in those? There's a way to get him the ball more often.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 20: You know, Pop, he's one of our best receivers. He can get open against anyone, and you know, those are definitely things we got to consider.
Speaker 24: Drod, how do you evaluate Drake's decision making today in terms of reads, making sure that they avoided the rush, et cetera.
Speaker 20: His reads were good all day. I thought his reads were good. I watched the film, obviously, but I thought he did a good job.
Speaker 3: Kean roach.
Speaker 25: You talked about the defense the first two drives of the game where they came right down the field, school, right down the field score. How disappointing was that from your perspective? And I think the one hundred and ninety two yards on the ground and what do you do to get going in the right direction there.
Speaker 6: It's very disappointing.
Speaker 20: And I would say, now at this time, we're kind of up and down as far as starting fast, and we have to start fast, whether we're on defense or offense, and we just we just didn't do that today.
Speaker 6: I thought they did settle down.
Speaker 20: But again it goes back to every single play being important, and you could stop them, stop them, stop him, and then all of a sudden, it's a fifty yard run.
Speaker 6: Like we can't live in that world.
Speaker 26: Your final question, hege rud over here. You're right in terms of play calling for Drake. Did you feel like on offense you guys did what you could to help him get settled in? Was it sort of how you planned or scripted or did things evolve differently?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 6: Absolutely.
Speaker 20: You know, we talked about the first fift team as we always do, and that was to get him settled in. And once again, look he's a rookie making his first start. Will there be things that didn't go right for him?
Speaker 6: Yeah? Absolutely, but I thought I thought the way we planned that out was good.
Speaker 27: I don't know how many interactions you had with Drake during the game, but how did you see him react to some of the physical punishment he took throughout?
Speaker 20: Yeah, he took some big hits and you know, slow to get up after a couple of those. But he's a tough guy and I was encouraged by that.
Speaker 5: Thanks there was a head coach, Gerard Mayo. I was encouraged by his opening monologue. I like to hear it because we've discussed it a couple of different times here. You know, where do you separate winning the game versus development of the quarterback. The fan base is obviously jacked up and excited about to play the quarterback because they see hope the head coach.
Speaker 3: Is pissed and I like to see that.
Speaker 10: What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 5: Well, he's he's got very limited options, very limited options.
Speaker 8: They just got to play better. I mean that's there's no single wand you can wave with these guys. And I mean, unfortunately with the personnel that they're that they're rolling out there, they just there's no well, there's no depth, there's nothing to really tap to change. So I don't know they got They're gonna have to. They're gonna have struggles against the better teams with this defense this year. It's just kind of a fact of matter. Maybe Barbore comes back and gives them a little bit of a boost, But I think Bentley's done that though, right, No, No, not at all. And I think you know, Bentley is is maybe the biggest piece of that. And you know, not to say that he would fix everything, but him in the middle, everything he brings in the middle of the tackling. I just think that's the biggest piece right now that they're missing on this defense and that, and that's just counting the guys that they started the year with. I think they've got, you know, a ways to go next year to get you know, more personnel to build this defense up.
Speaker 5: And you could just judge him by the tremendous amount of churning they're doing and the practice squad on the roster where there's different defensive linemen picked up, dropped it everything. It's like, get him out of here, let's try something else. They're trying. But it's not like, you know, Reggie White's not available on waivers, you know, so these guys are available for a reason. And do they see a spark something that they're coaching staff can maybe get that it's gonna be a slight improvement over what they had.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it's a direct straight line to it, but I would look at the first couple drives where they couldn't get a stop and they're just you know, C J. Strouz just like, well, I got, you know, And then you started to see a little bit of pressure and a little key on White and then all of a sudden they started getting stops and then those dry up.
Speaker 4: I mean, well they started blitzing a little bit, and then when Tunssel went out, I do I do think it they got more pressure when they took advantage of that. But I liked the There was a one third down that I loved with the Christian Ellis and Mapu on a blitz, like you know, just doing something a little bit different. There was another one later that it wasn't a blitz per se, but they had, you know, one of those old time Belichick kind of rushes with five guys, but they were dropping different guys and rushing different guys.
Speaker 3: And don't know who's coming, and they confused them.
Speaker 4: So I did think that they did some things as that you know, this is a good play right here with you know, you get two guys, you send and they get they get home. That I believe that was a third down too.
Speaker 3: That's the only way to getting pressure is by doing stuff pressure.
Speaker 4: That's what you need to do, Like you need to figure out like you know, we've Mike and I have talked about this a million times.
Speaker 3: Like they don't have a lot of guys.
Speaker 4: They traded Jude on Barber's out, They don't have a lot of guys that are gonna win one on one matchups.
Speaker 3: So that's what you have to do to get pressure.
Speaker 4: And they didn't get a lot today. But I do think at time, you know, this is a play that you know why it affects that pass, you know, and that's that that leads to an incomplete.
Speaker 3: Pass on a third down. That those are the plays they need more of those.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's right to your point. I mean, Kristen Ella's probably coming in this year special teamer, you know, blitzing a special team or on defense.
Speaker 3: You know how many snaps does he play today? You shall have it in the morning.
Speaker 5: But he played a lot, played more than I think the coaching staff would.
Speaker 8: Has been one of their He's been one of their third down covers, linebackers. I mean ever since they lost that.
Speaker 5: Correct let's see the TPX spot line is eight five to five Pats five hundred. Eldred in North Carolina has been waiting patiently. You're next on the Patriots post game show.
Speaker 10: Eldred.
Speaker 28: Hello, hey.
Speaker 29: Man, Okay, looting courage back. Yeah, I made it to defense. But it's like what I saw in North Carolina. He's good fat, it's the short step, but he got his feet sick. If he's trying to do things, you know, But Fred, I'm with you. Let him play, darn it. If he makes mistake, learn from him. Just let it. Just take your stringing wheel off. I didn't like to last two minutes.
Speaker 10: Well, they didn't want to. Like it's I don't know. Some coaches would say that's kind of like bad sportsmanship, Like you're out of the game and you're still throwing the ball and you know, okay, so should we blitz your guy and bury him?
Speaker 3: You know, I disagree. Like they were trying too.
Speaker 10: They were running it on first and second down.
Speaker 4: They were in the ball twice on that last drive. The rest of we're all passes deep incomplete deep to Douglas, short right to Douglas for six yards incomplete short left throw away. I know that was the player that he just kind of like threw it like that underhand. And the last play was a pass to Polk that converted. That was a third down play. Like I'm with Fred, like I don't want to get him take him unnecessarily hits in a game that's that's long since decided.
Speaker 5: Thank you for the call, Eldred in that and let's live for another day. I mean the game's out of hand at that point in time. Let's move on Tony from Canada.
Speaker 3: Your next Uh hit the wrong button. I think that's my bad.
Speaker 10: Canada, call back again if you would please.
Speaker 3: You're next on the Patriots post game.
Speaker 30: Saw flame Canada.
Speaker 5: Oh that okay.
Speaker 3: What do you got pat?
Speaker 30: No, that was just that was me. I just gotta ask one question about Drake Bay's performance, Like, do you think when he came out of the draft, like the big thing about him, like a huge selling point was he was probably the best quarterback in the draft going over the mill. But do you think, like when they structure their first and second down offense that still have more passes designed to go over the middle, where he's probably a lot better in that situation than going to the sideline.
Speaker 4: Didn't do the vast majority of the throwers go Thanks for the COVID the middle today.
Speaker 8: I thought, so Patty might be drunk. So I'm just gonna come.
Speaker 4: That's always there's always a possibility. Yeah, no, I know what, but I know what Pat's talking about. I mean, he is considered to be very accurate, uh down the middle. I thought they tried a lot of passes, a lot of crossing routes.
Speaker 3: Yes, you know. Yeah. Some of them were really good, like the touchdown a Douglas, and some of them were really bad. Yeah.
Speaker 10: I mean that other one where you said Paul Douglas had to reach back and catch it. Had that one been in front, that might have been.
Speaker 4: I was talking about one that reached back and bounced off his hands up into the air.
Speaker 10: But there was another pass like where he actually caught it. But if that pass had been in front, he's heading today.
Speaker 8: I'm talking about Freddy. I mean, and I mean need so long. Those kinds of places, the ground off the shoelaces, these are.
Speaker 4: All over the middle. These are these are the passes that we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Those are the ones where I think they're gonna you know, he's got to drill down on it because he's got those balls. Yeah, you know, fred This is for you. I'm going to butcher this. This is from anakin from Tach. What's the tatoo? Very good? Thank you, hello, Jens. Yes, the outcome was bad. However, this was the most normal and efficient the offenses looked all season, even though it was inconsistent. May did as well as expected for his first start. There is a ton to be hopeful for.
Speaker 8: Well, what's just kind of a hothead to be honest.
Speaker 5: What's the story of the week, Then, what's it going to be going forward? There's a ton to be hopeful for, or there's going to be the.
Speaker 3: Story of the week. The story will be how how I give myself the wonders? Tuesday at noon, now, right.
Speaker 8: That's when we pushed Paul into the corner of like.
Speaker 10: That's it.
Speaker 3: I hate him. He's not not going to do it to me about me.
Speaker 10: It's the thing about Paul. If all the fans were really really upset today, would.
Speaker 4: I'll give you an example, Like someone tweeted Evan at the half ripping May for his footwork on the touchdown pass to Booty, Like I think that's absurd. I think that is absolutely absurd.
Speaker 3: Like I started the whole, the whole they thought his footwork was bad.
Speaker 10: On that guy. The guy that emailed Evan was TC McCartney. But that's beside.
Speaker 3: That's good.
Speaker 4: But I I spent, like you know what, Matt and I came down, we opened the show and we both agreed, like there's a lot to be excited about, but like we're getting lost in this like efficiency with the offense that.
Speaker 3: Didn't happen today.
Speaker 4: It didn't, but they made some big plays on in the passing game that they haven't made. They had over a hunt undred more yards passing today than they average in the first five games.
Speaker 3: Like that happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like there were enough things that were better today to accentuate without making other stuff.
Speaker 5: Up and the bad would you call that progress.
Speaker 3: In some areas? Yeah, they couldn't run the ball worth of damn correct.
Speaker 10: And the bad things they can go to the film and they can show MEY say, seem Drake, this is what we're talking about. This is the stuff we've been trying to work with you. But now he's doing it in live action. You'll learn faster.
Speaker 4: And I promise that there were also enough plays that like just sort of unfolded and the throws were just bad.
Speaker 3: Like, there were enough of those today too. I think people.
Speaker 4: Are just ignoring those, all right, so they're only talking about the good ones.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 5: Took me this long to think of this question for you. But just listen to your voice here for a second.
Speaker 3: Are you pissed?
Speaker 5: Do you think that they wasted five games? I'm not pissed, you know, but I yes, I don't see why they didn't start him earlier. Okay, yeah, that's just me.
Speaker 10: But again, we you know, we talk about this. We've been talking about this in September on unfiltered. We don't know what the coaches know, Like maybe you know, this week he was light years better than he you know, light years more ready than he was Week one for some reason like whatever. They've been working with him in the classroom and maybe in week one, like he had absolutely no clue we have we don't know that. I doubt it, but it's a possibility, so I'm not That's why I'm not pissed.
Speaker 4: So I know that this is this is an unfair hypothetical because it's you know, it's impossible. If you if he played exactly the way he did today all of the other games, the first five games, what do you think the record would be.
Speaker 10: If he played exactly the way he played today all those games, I think the record they'd be lucky to be one in five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, so that's that's what I think too, And I know that's unfair because I mean, it would stand.
Speaker 10: But all those other games, they didn't have the turnal.
Speaker 4: They were minus three in Eternal, right, Yes, I think two and four would be out of the question.
Speaker 10: That's why.
Speaker 3: But I would say, like, you know, to be fair.
Speaker 4: That's why I said it's an unfair hypothetical because anybody could rightly expect the guy playing in his first game is going to be better in his fifth and sixth game, right, Like, that's just natural.
Speaker 3: Progressive hope, you hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Now, some guys don't get better, but you hope that this guy will get better. It won't turn the ball over three times five straight games.
Speaker 3: If that happens.
Speaker 4: Something tells me when we're doing the postgame show after the fifth straight game of three turnovers, it's gonna be a little bit of a different tune, right right right.
Speaker 5: Harry and Connecticut says that it is within reach. At times this game seemed winnable.
Speaker 3: That's a stretch. This game was not winnable from the first two drives.
Speaker 10: It was one moment when it what was it twenty one to fourteen, where like did make a stop here and they didn't.
Speaker 4: It wasn't ever that it wasn't there was fourteen seven. They immediately made it was twenty one seven. Then twenty four to seven.
Speaker 8: You had to come out in the third quarter score and play perch.
Speaker 10: It was twenty seven to fourteen at one point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they scored to make it twenty seven fourteen. It was twenty seven seven, No.
Speaker 10: I know.
Speaker 3: And the only time that it flickered went out the window on the second player of the first second half. Right, yeah, that was it, you get it was fourteen seven to get the ball or maybe, like I never thought that game was in doubt. Once Houston scored twice, bang bang, fourteen nothing, game was over right, and Houston thought it too, And then they had to go in the locker room probably got bitched at by their coach and said, you know, in this league, you have to play four quarters. They came out and put the game away in the third quarter, just to.
Speaker 5: Finish what Harry had to say. I'm happy with May's performance today with the service of quarterback play, I hope he's more than the service of Well that's me saying that it allows the Patriots to better analyze the holes.
Speaker 3: On this team, don't they know?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't think you need to be amos Alonzo Stag to analyze the holes on this team.
Speaker 10: Do you No, but I see what he's saying. If you have a guy who can actually running run a passing offense, yes you can have a little bit better evaluation of Booty and the guy Paul doesn't pop, Doug.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: Mike had it right though, Like, if you can be like all the other teams and have as semblance of a passing this is how you need to twenty fight in the modern NFL. Mike is right, Like, that's what I come away saying. We can be like everybody else.
Speaker 3: Now we don't have to throw for one hundred and twenty yards and try to win and hope the other team pukes on itself so we can win, right.
Speaker 8: Paul, I thought it was funny too.
Speaker 3: This game.
Speaker 8: We haven't really talked about it. So this is kind of Paul's anti game with the rushing attack, because it was he dide a pretty good job, but like Houston just gashed him for a couple of big scoring plays.
Speaker 3: You know, But Mike, you're smart enough to know why did Houston win the game?
Speaker 4: What did they do early in the game, how they did they established the run or did they just throw the balls at the bands?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, three touchdown passes don't boom.
Speaker 5: And the broadcasters, at least at the beginning of the game were crediting the patriots ren defense, which wasn't terrible out of the shoot when it was fourteen and f thing.
Speaker 4: I'd actually credit those random runs that Houston kept having for the reason why it's that it's twenty eight.
Speaker 3: Nothing like Mike and I caught a score. I don't like it kept a scoring out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they kept giving the Patriots chances to get off the field by running a couple of times and setting up third downs.
Speaker 5: Finlay in Scotland writes, despite the blowout, I actually came away excited because we have a quarterback that potentially can compete at the modern NFL level. I love that Paul come on. I in my brain saying they shouldn't be on the good or bad list, But Fred is my heart saying we.
Speaker 3: Got our guy. All in Cass, I'm in all in Cash, I'm in.
Speaker 8: There's a ceiling there that you know you want. You want to see him try to get to you know, like that's what's exciting. It doesn't feel like every week with him. I mean, you know, he's look, he's got to progress. But it doesn't feel like even if he plays well, it's like everything's got to go perfect around him, you know, like there's might be at some point a little bit of leeway. You know, maybe, oh we don't have a great perfect game. But you know what, he can throw forty yard bomb into the end zone that that you know, drops right in the bucket and.
Speaker 10: Hey, you know people couldn't see it because we weren't on camera. But after that throw at the end of the half, you know, we all got up and the back and congratulated each other.
Speaker 3: Was actually I put the cigar down.
Speaker 4: I said, we got our guy.
Speaker 8: That was there's no cheering in the press box with there was a little light.
Speaker 3: Uh it was under.
Speaker 10: Little little blood, little blood flow.
Speaker 3: There was a little blood there was. There was cheering in the press box today.
Speaker 4: Down in the front row, I don't know, if you know, I saw that some kids the ball that Schultz dropped and Jones caught for the pick in the end zone. Some kid, I don't know who he was, like a writer.
Speaker 3: I don't know who it was in the front row.
Speaker 8: He looked young.
Speaker 10: He looked like a young Maybe it was these kids on journalism ethics and That's why it's good.
Speaker 8: We're up in the back and no one's looking over.
Speaker 5: One final point from light, which is the understatement of the day. Wolf has a mountain of work to do in the off season to add talent to this team, which is mismatched against almost every team they face.
Speaker 3: True that, but I don't know.
Speaker 8: I mean, like yes, and though I like.
Speaker 5: Who's got a better roster? The Jacksonville Jaguars and the new Etoln Patriots next week in London. Mike Jacksonville right, probably by leaps and bounds.
Speaker 4: But they also are in a vastly different spot.
Speaker 5: Their owner told them they this is the best team in Jacksonville.
Speaker 3: They're supposed to be. He's wrong about by the way.
Speaker 4: They're supposed to be battling for a playoff spot, not being one and five right the Patriots. I mean, I know that sounds awful, But would you think the record was going to be when they were going to London? Because the best I heard was one in five or zero.
Speaker 8: And six somewhere in that vicinities.
Speaker 5: What are you telling me, Dennis Green? They are with the what you thought they are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, I would agree. I think if you matched up player for player. I think Jacksonville probably has more talent, yes.
Speaker 8: But like, but if he gets to Patriots year three of of Rice and then that's that's that's a fairer cut.
Speaker 10: Before they traded judea on and Barmart you know, was out and Bentley was I thought the ceiling for this season was going to be six games. That was before for all these losses. So like, I'm not, like, I'm not beside myself with the record, are you little?
Speaker 5: Do you think the coaches beside himself with the record or the staff is beside themselves.
Speaker 4: Don't think they're beside themselves with the record. I think they're beside themselves with the state of play.
Speaker 3: Well that's the that's I agree.
Speaker 10: I agree, Like it's.
Speaker 3: Tuesday. Yeah, that's you can be a you could take credit for that one. You know, you'll be in my office.
Speaker 10: You can look at your team and say, you know, you know, our guys aren't as good as their guys, but we don't have to be having false starts. We don't have to be making bonehead plays, you know, just because our guys, you know, weren't Alabama, you know, first round picks.
Speaker 4: I mean second, second time they've been called for the legal formation there on the kickoff right second time six games. You know, those kinds of things don't require any talent.
Speaker 10: And you know, like on the blog, like people are I don't know where they're getting this from, if they're from their own insight or whether you know, it's people that they're reading or listening to, but they are really really hitting our coaching staff hard.
Speaker 3: You know, taking it yep, really.
Speaker 10: And you know, I don't know, but like I don't I can't judge them because it's chicken and egg kind of thing, like, Okay, the players aren't that good, so how can you judge the coaching staff? Oh, the coaching staff's not good? How can you judge the player? You know, you don't know where to where the blame pie goes. But the people in the blog right from the beginning of the game really hitting the coaching staff very hard.
Speaker 5: Twenty one accepted penalties in the last two weeks is not good.
Speaker 10: Matt Tell's progress.
Speaker 3: You got to see progress from right.
Speaker 5: Guys, Tony and Canada. You're next from the Patriots postgame show presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 31: Hello, Tony, hey, guys, Well, of course I'm calling about Drake May trying to think of what to say that hasn't been said already, but I think that OLVERJ actually touched on it. But you know, I think if May May has the tendency to let the ball sail on him a little bit, especially on the short and intermediate passes. The long ball is he's very accurate on. So I'd like to see him work on that. One of the interceptions he overthrew his receiver. The other one it was deflected, but still a high throw. So take away those two high throws and those two picks, and I think we'd be a lot more optimistic. I'm happy to see Drake May in. So that's all I have for today, guys.
Speaker 3: Thanks, And that's a good point.
Speaker 5: And where he missed today, I think he missed high by and large.
Speaker 3: He missed high on a lot more than one or two.
Speaker 10: That's all release.
Speaker 8: Yep, that's exactly what we said saw in the preseasons. I think we said it on the pregame show that that's you know, he misses like that, that's one of his things.
Speaker 5: See him from North Carolina, the state of Drake May. You're next in the Patriots post game show. Hi, Sam, all right.
Speaker 32: I think great May exceeded expectations today if you look at the circumstances, lots of injuries leaving Russia out. Besides May, the leading rusher had nineteen yards, He had no Russian game to compliment playing a top five defense in the NFL. His first start, led the team in rushing, threw for more than anybody has, I believe against the Texans all year, and really played better against them than Josh Allen did, who was nine of thirty and he's the top three quarterback.
Speaker 10: I love it, Joshua, let's go, let's go.
Speaker 4: But yet they scored the same amount of points that was Sam. By the way, but I would, you know, wholeheartedly agree with Sam. Sorry, I would wholeheardly agree with the assessment of May. I think, if you're just asking me personally, he exceeded my expectations.
Speaker 5: All Right, we're gonna hear from Drake May in a moment. But first let's go to Josh. Even though Fred was calling Sam Josh, but let's go to Josh now from Georgia, Josh, you're next to the Patriots postgame show.
Speaker 28: Hello, guys, I'm gonna do a little bit of a change up here. I have a question about the well, a couple of things about the defense, the scheme. Why are we playing Mart at safety now when he had so much success at linebacker last week? And also where is Taki talkie? I know he had that penalty.
Speaker 3: He played a little bit opening kickoff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he played, he played on He played on defense too, but Mapu played safety last week too. He played linebacker, but he played some safety as well. He's one of those versatile guys. Brian Belichick talked about him a little bit on Thursday, Mike just you know who. He compared him to Fred You'll question okay, you know, and actually Mike Reese and I had a nice little sort of a too on tag team with Brian. Yeah, he's just said like he's kind of an old school He was a really athletic linebacker who could cover tight ends and do some different things, but you could also move him away from the ball a little bit now, he said, specifically, like with five for different era of football, where with three linebackers on the field all the time. So not a perfect comparison, but yeah, he played some linebacker. Joshua, You're right last week and I didn't see him as much at linebacker today. I thought, for the most part he was a little further back. Mike lamented that earlier, but Taka Taki was out there getting his v wet. Yeah, first game back. Okay, thanks for the call, Joshua.
Speaker 5: How about that A Belichick with a historical perspective on a player, who would have guess that I.
Speaker 4: And you know that the two thousand and one Patriots are for Brian and Steven are going to be Bill's eighty six Johns ex That's.
Speaker 3: Right, right, that's good.
Speaker 8: I would just say to that last call, I don't know how effective he actually was at linebacker last week. I think it was more just liking seeing him.
Speaker 3: Play there, the fact that he was out there.
Speaker 10: You know, I just.
Speaker 8: Again, I don't want to hammer Ray Kwon McMillan and you know both line Tavai being forced to play entirely inside, But it's just they don't have answers inside right now, those inside linebackers.
Speaker 5: Well, the topic du jour has been the play of Drake May and the Patriots forty one to twenty one loss. It was the regular season first start for Drake May. Let's go to the podium and listen to the Patriots quarterback.
Speaker 10: I think, you know, we just.
Speaker 19: Hurt ourselvesselve today. I think that's the biggest thing. I think we put the defense in bad, bad spots, and you know, with how good our defense is, we can't that's the that's the least thing we can do. You know, we can't give him when the balls in the red zone give him the other team the ball in the red zone just makes it hard on him. And you know, it starts with me and I think you know has some throws back and especially you know the first interception. Yeah, but after the touchdown, you feel like coming you're back in it, come out of halftime and it goes you know, you know, no turnover in the red zone. So just uh kept on, you know, hurting ourselves. And you know in this league, you know, these teams are too good to do that. And you know, with some great stuff to watch on film, you know, some times out there was it was a lot of fun on offense. So and so I told the guys in the whole the end, man, we got the guys in the huddle, we just gotta make a few few more plays and you can play complimentary football. Also, you know, coach Mayo just preached play complmentary football.
Speaker 3: We didn't do that.
Speaker 6: Today, Drake.
Speaker 26: As the game went on, did you feel it kind of slowed down for you, you know, in the pocket making decisions?
Speaker 19: Yeah, you know, I was a little ampt amped at the start, for sure. I think, you know, the biggest thing is having those guys around me. You know, they're great, you know, pump me up, coaches defense. You know, the guys around me were great trying to settle me down, and Jacobe it was a big part of that. Seld me down the sideline and you know, pre game, so kind of once you got that first drive and it was three and out and I'm probably have checked it down on the under. But uh, just some stuff you know, look back and learn from. But now I also feel like we did some good things.
Speaker 6: So Drake, you mentioned the interception, the first one.
Speaker 3: What sort of happened there would take us through?
Speaker 19: Yeah, uh, you know, pretty you know, pretty simple, you know, pop over the middle, and you hit him a few other times and wasn't that last time where he scored that I hit him in stride, So just gonna make better throws. You missed a little high and you can't miss high over the middle. You know in this league, that's what they always say, you can't miss high over the middle, and you know, tip balls on the second one turn and you know interceptions.
Speaker 3: Drake drug Mana just called it an encouraging performance on offense. A lot that came in the second half. What wasn't better for you guys in the second half than the first half.
Speaker 19: Yeah, you know we preach you know, abps, preaching fast starts, and you know, I wouldn't say it's you know, very you know, please them when you start off with the you know, turn over in the red zone to start start the second half and start off with three and out in the first game, I mean first first drivet. So you know, little things like that that we we're emphasizing on offense and we just haven't been able to execute. I think this's the things that come back here, you know what we're emphasizing, and you know, starts with me. We need to execute. But kind of got going there a little bit, made some thros. The guys made some plays and you know we got like I said, we've got those guys. We've got you know, guys that can make plays and ohod lines up there battling, battling their butt off and getting injured, towing back and always checking on me. So those guys, you know, fight their butts off tonight.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: Even Gerard was saying when he was up here that you took some big hits first full sixty minutes from you in the NFL as a quarterback. How are you feeling physically after the fascality of today's game.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think you know, hoo'ston who dextly a good football team. They had good defense and they got some good guys in the edge and up front, good guys in the back end. So you know, it's a good test for us. Like I said, I think you're right there. A couple times in the game we were calling back and we really just offensively, you know, put defense at a bad spot. So I feel all right. I think you know you're playing quarterback in the NFL. You know you're gonna be store the next day. You know it's part of it, and probably need to do a better job of getting down or or throwing it away. And I think it took a couple of sacks maybe today where I could have thrown away or your throw check down staff you know, getting a sack and step up.
Speaker 24: Trake, you mentioned you were amped at the beginning before settling down. What was the sideline like when you were coming back.
Speaker 22: What were some of the conversations you were having, and how is Jacobi helping during that time if at all.
Speaker 19: Yeah, you know, he's saying, we're good, We're good.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 19: And they went down there, you know, and scored on theirs possess so puts a littleressure on you. I think it's always a little pressure when they, you know, score for to make a seven to zero. So just settle down and trust the guys around me. And uh, you know, you gotta be able run the football little bit too. I think you know we preached that and you'll run the football in this league? Is how you open getting in Uh, you know, third and longer and third and long too much. I feel like today and it starts with me and you know, making better throws them and decisions on first and second down.
Speaker 24: Drake Wednesday mentioned this is a dream for you to get your first NFL start. What was dislike from from that perspective and also how do you self evaluate overall as to you know, how today went compared to what you wanted to achieve.
Speaker 19: You know, shout out the fans, and you know, I thought they were great. You know, you gave me goosebumps run out there the first time in this staid you know, you know, basically almost the whole way through cheering, and you know, it was pretty sweet to be out there in the reds. But like I said, I think now you don't didn't come out with the win, and that's kind of the goal, especially in your first start. You want to come out with the win. That's pretty something, pretty special. So I got to be able to you know, watch the tape and learn from it and and bounce back and to get a long flight so get ready for playing overseas.
Speaker 33: Yeah, along those lines. Uh, there's no denying this is one of the biggest days in your life. I mean, that's that's that's a fact. Uh, it's also a fact that your team lost convincingly. Uh what are those emotions like, I mean, you're gonna be getting texts from friends, family who don't take the loss into account of what's going on right now in terms of the conflicting emotions.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I think you know, first fore most is just blessed, don't think the good Lord. You know, I'm in a great spot, you know, with the Patriots here and you know, playing your quarterback in the NFL, and most of my friends and family after a loss, you know, they're still you know word more about the loss than uh than kind of encouraging plays. That's kind of the people I'm around, and we care about winning and just hate losing. So that's the big thing. I think there's some good things to take away from it, you know today and and I think, you know, I think back to coach with coach may have got to play companary football and we haven't done.
Speaker 6: That in the front.
Speaker 27: Drake, can you describe your mindset during the two minute drill before halftime?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 27: Looked like you were able to try to fit some passes into some tight windows there. Did Did that maybe help you settle into a little.
Speaker 19: Bit I think two minutes, but two minutes of time, it's it's a great time for you know, quarterback to kind of get some passes and get some plays you know that we're comfortable with, you know, under my belt, and it's a lot easier, you know, in two minutes. You know, then practice when you know the guys actually come back there and tackle me in the back. So I be able to make some plays. And you know, Booty made a great play. And those guys, you know, I think pop down the sideline. That's, you know, great play on his part. And just get the guys the ball. And that's the biggest thing I got to do. I think you'll give them the ball and let him make plays. You know, you saw Hunter, you know on a flat route. You know early on we're backed up, you know, make make guy missed, get a first down. So well, things like that to get the ball on my hands and get into those guys that make a lot of money that getting paid to, you'll get first downs.
Speaker 9: Trey right here, could you just walk us through your forty yard touchdown pass to Jalen Polk and doing it in a game as opposed to a practice. How much did that help your confidence today? You had a you mean, Booty, I'm sorry to Booty. Yeah, you're good. No, I think you know, pressed up. I think we gotta give the jazz. You got to give him a chance. That's the kind of my thought process, give them a chance. I thought, you know, kind of the text was kind of squating us a little bit. They came out and challenged us and played a man, so try to you know, let one ride.
Speaker 19: And give us, give Booty a chance and many nice play and it's pretty cool, you know, I think both of our first touchdowns, so pretty cool moment.
Speaker 3: And you know fight.
Speaker 19: You know, in this group you can push the ball down the field and make plays in the passing game. So just gotta keep repping it and see what you like. And I gotta make throws. That's the bottom line. Make barre throws.
Speaker 5: And there's your Patriots quarterback today. The talk oh the town, Drake May you want to analyze the presser?
Speaker 3: How do you think you looked?
Speaker 10: And what do you think of this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean everything you want you want you want to hear about taking accountability? Uh, talking about want to get the win. You know, acknowledging the mistakes and the spots where they put their team is just in a bad spot.
Speaker 10: So you know, just good job.
Speaker 8: I mean I think a lot of these kids, I mean I felt similar with some of the you know, bad games we've had seen in years past. They know how to take accountability.
Speaker 3: So that was good with it.
Speaker 8: I was good with any understands. It's not good enough, and it's it's got to get better and hopefully that's what direction on the head.
Speaker 10: Buckley kind of. I think it was Buckley that was asking the question, but I would have liked to know, like, in a weird way, did you enjoy yourself today?
Speaker 4: Like you know, yeah, yeah, that's that. I think that is what buck was trying to ask. I think so mixed emotions.
Speaker 3: I know you lost.
Speaker 4: I know you're disappointed, but yeah, you got a chance to playing your first NFL game. You had some success, right.
Speaker 8: You know, you feel like you feel you feel like his brothers are like, so, dude, I mean three turnovers's probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no question he did.
Speaker 10: He did say, you know, on a lot of when he was talking about the negatives, it starts with me, you know, And that's accountability.
Speaker 3: For sure, but from your quarterback.
Speaker 6: But I if I was.
Speaker 10: Coaching him, I would say, when you're talking about the negative, I not we. This is this is the rule. When it's bad, I did it, When it's good, we did it, And when it's great, they did it. You know, that's the rule. So when you're talking about negatives, it's I, you know, leave the we out.
Speaker 3: Is that a fredism or.
Speaker 10: I think it's Paul Brown. Okay.
Speaker 3: Much like much like everything else, it originated elsewhere. I like it, Okay.
Speaker 5: I want to remind you that a big thank you to our partner microscoft. Surface the official sideline technology provider and laptop of the NFL and the New England Patriots. It provides players and coaches with the tools to succeed both on and off the field. Check out the new Surface Pro, designed to keep up with you as the most flexible, most powerful two and one laptop and tablet out there at surface dot com. Uh, this is another England email.
Speaker 23: This is.
Speaker 5: Do I have a name Damon from Shrewsbury, England, not Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, who claims that he broke out the Zoe versus Saints impression on the first touchdown pass.
Speaker 3: That's your quarterback, Zoe Bonies.
Speaker 5: That's the beef, that was the what's that stiff's name, Kemberrell Tompkins who caught the ball from Brady when they beat the Scents. This guy eleven years ago to Damon, is saying that he went that's our quarterback after May's touchdown to Booty.
Speaker 33: I like that.
Speaker 3: Excited for a weekend in London.
Speaker 5: I don't want to sit through a one hundred and twenty yards zero touchdown passing game next weekend.
Speaker 3: Not perfect, but it's more fun. Yep. Here's the fans sentiment of the day, right yeah, yeah, And I'm with the fan who knew Fred Man of the people, I'm with the fans. I'm with the funds.
Speaker 10: Paul red Zone Paul twenty seven to three Lions over Cowboys. Could McCarthy be walked out of the of the game.
Speaker 3: I just think they have so many injuries. It's it's tough.
Speaker 10: He gets a pass.
Speaker 4: He might, but you know, there's no excuse for only having three points. Yeah, I mean you got Dak Prescott and Ceede Lamb. You should have more than three points on the board, especially against the defense like Detroit.
Speaker 3: So's just average at best. Fred.
Speaker 5: Does Doug Peterson get the you have the privilege to coach the Jaguars against the Patriots?
Speaker 3: Does he get to stay in London for the week or do they send him home?
Speaker 10: On people were thinking that he might get the hook.
Speaker 5: So if you're thinking about it this week, the Patriots could maybe put a nail in that coffin.
Speaker 10: You lose next week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would be a tough one.
Speaker 10: We're supposed to be you know, London's supposed to be like your second home. And you lose both games, You're not going.
Speaker 8: To spare the fan base there to root for you if you can't win.
Speaker 5: But Brendan and Edmonton writes, fill in the blank, this is the worst Patriots rasta since.
Speaker 3: God, I don't know, do twenty twenty?
Speaker 10: Yeah, twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Right now.
Speaker 10: You don't think there were bad rosters in like the nineties and you know, early ninetientes.
Speaker 3: The worst since twenty twenty, twenty twenty was was not the worst of all time.
Speaker 8: I think it was also that I saw a stat somewhere on Twitter that was the last time they gave up like back to back one hundred and fifty yard plus whatever it is for the real games. So, I mean, we said it this summer. It was once those injuries started happened. It feels a lot like that defense in twenty twenty, where you had a lot of fill ins and guys who weren't really going to be part of things. I mean, I think the offense is a little bit different and that you have some young pieces that you're hope and grow. Like you didn't really have a d Mario Douglas on the team back then. In twenty twenty, you know guy it was it was kind of who was that guy who played outside corner, gie, outside receiver. I'm totally banking on his name.
Speaker 3: The oh they have really forget about Kobe Myers.
Speaker 8: Was was a good Yeah, that's actually that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Good point, and they I mean Edelman was kind of done it. That was there. He got banged up and yeah, played like five. Yeah, it wasn't as productive that year.
Speaker 8: But I think twenty twenty is a good woman it was that was that.
Speaker 3: Was a roster that was similar to this. That roster struggled.
Speaker 8: But I think the quarterback is the big difference though. That's you know, you have Cam Newton at the end of it, when you know now you have a young quarterback that and that that's the biggest difference to me.
Speaker 5: Here's my question to you, Michael. I know you probably haven't started a crack open. What is that guy's name, Dane Buglers the Beast his draft book, But here's my question. A little bit regardless of where you're picking, but assuming you're going to be in the top five, maybe top five, certainly top ten. It looks like trending in that direction. The best defensive lineman available versus the best offensive lineman available, best offensive.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean, I think it's interesting this week.
Speaker 3: I mean, and I don't know that I would be so quick to say that answer Fred. I would with Fred.
Speaker 8: I think it's interesting because this week there were some reports out from Jordan Reid from ESPN that talking to people around the league, there isn't really a strong consensus there's a top ten tackle anymore. As much as everybody wanted to talk about Will Campbell offensive tackle, offensive offensive tackle.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, if you wanted to tell me there's an edge guy, Yeah, that's like a dynamic that's rusher.
Speaker 10: If the guy's available.
Speaker 5: But whoever, I should have been, I should have been more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now I'd rather have I would rather have a tackle. But if I'm like, I don't know, if there's like a game wrecker von Miller, Like if von Miller's in this draft class, then I would I would certainly think about that. But that's like, that's a dynamic, athletic right edge guy. Pevon Thibodeau a couple of years ago was like the fifth pick.
Speaker 3: I think Will Anderson.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, those kinds of guys I would think about. I don't think those aren't defensive linemen.
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: If it should have been more clear, no, but that's that's I just wanted to make it clear. Like if people are listening, like Paul doesn't want no, I would absolutely be with Matt.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I would absolutely with Matt. But if there's a blue chip talent available, take him. Yeah, whatever position.
Speaker 8: I think that there might be that kind of player. But I mean, I just I look at it. There's what five key positions to me in the NFL you need to check the boxes of it's wide receiver, quarterback, defensive end, cornerback, and uh and left tackle. And I think they have one of them in the cornerback, and I think they might have the two of the corner So you got to find the other three. You gotta find an edge rusher who can who's a game changer. You got to find that left tackle, and you got to find that number one receipt and you get those three more pieces. That's why when the kids have said something about the rebuild, it's like, Okay, well you might have two of the five. You might have two with the five, and I don't think it's crazy to think that you can find potentially those other three in one off seas.
Speaker 3: We got a lot of time for draft picks, a lot.
Speaker 10: It might be that's a lot of time for draft prep.
Speaker 5: Mic, But I'm gonna ask you this because you brought it up, because I think the fans would definitely wide receiver or left tackle.
Speaker 10: Again, if one of them's a blue chipper, you take that Travis Hunter from Colorado left tackle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't even say to me, it's not even a decision like you I as you know, I'm like an offensive.
Speaker 10: Lineist, right, right, do that on your own time.
Speaker 4: You cannot function an offense correct until they get some semblance of pass protection.
Speaker 33: Right.
Speaker 4: It's so like I always say, like it's never going to be that bad, Well, this year it's been that bad. Like every three dropbacks, they have absolutely no chance to complete a pass. And until that changes, I don't care if you have Travis Hunter or or you know whoever else out there. Do you need to find a way to shore up your offensive line now? If there's not, if Mike's right, if Will Campbell's no longer at top ten pick, then trade down.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what I was gonna say. That's what I was gonna say. If you're at three overall and there isn't that generational pass rusher or generational tackle, now this lines up to trade down you got. This is supposedly a pretty good depth wise edge rusher draft. So if you could hit Will Campbell at ten and then maybe near the end of the first you're gonna get another guy, and then you've still got your other pick early in the second round. I mean that's you know, now you're really talking. It's not quite what Houston did last year, but it's in the same universe of hitting on multiple top round kind of kids that you need.
Speaker 5: As we wind down, let's go to Mike on the Jersey Shore. You'll be the last caller this evening. Mike, Welcome to the Patriots postgame Show presented by DraftKings.
Speaker 34: Hello Mike, Hey guys, So I'll make it quick since it's the end. So I think everybody's kind of had the census what you saw from the quarterback, which I think we should have seen on Day one. So my question to you guys, and I'm gonna leave it at this What are the next two things you want to see with them the next week going forward? Tell me two things that you think he needs that you want to see him improve on.
Speaker 5: Great question, and I can handle at least one of them.
Speaker 10: Accurate, ac accurate, and don't turn it over.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's it. Sky Lest passes and turn them all over.
Speaker 4: I would say I'd like to see him make more plays that aren't the first read and less plays with his legs.
Speaker 3: He set a bar. It was exciting.
Speaker 5: They lose forty one to twenty one of the Patriots due to the Houston Texans, But Drake May set a bar now. I think the expectation is we want to see improvement every single week.
Speaker 8: And put down on the coaching staff overall as developed of that development. We need a team to start for the most critical mistakes, and we especially need Drake May to make them progress.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: The Patriots lose today to drop to one and five. They lose to the Houston Texans, who go to five and one on the year by a forty one to twenty one score in in a relatively impressive debut for Drake May. That'll do it for us here at Julette Stadium, for Chris Judge and for Josh Davis, for Matt Morele, Matt Lapan, Paul Parrillo, Fred Kursch, Tamara Brown, and Mike do So. I'm Matt Smith. Have a great week, everybody. We'll be Upcross the Pond Mate next week.
Speaker 12: Thank you for downloading this podcast, Subscribe on Apple, google Play, and everywhere else you listen.
Speaker 3: Like the show, Please rate and review us.
Speaker 12: Listener comments and ratings help keep us high in the podcast rankings so new listeners can find us.
Speaker 5: Be sure to check Patriots dot com for more news and more podcasts.