Speaker 1: Hey there, folks.
Speaker 2: It is Thursday, April second, and President Trump made a major primetime address updating us all on the war in Iran last night. You might have missed it if you didn't stay up late. So how did the speech go? This tells you everything you need to know. Oil prices shot up, stock market shot down, and with that, welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 1: Robes. That's been the routine. Now. The president speaks, and.
Speaker 2: Then you go look at oil prices and you go look at the stock market, and one is going to go up, one is going to go down, and that lets you know essentially what he said.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the interesting thing is, normally, when he had said, at least previously, when he had said the war was almost over, we were wrapping things up, we saw the markets shoot up, oil prices go down. This time when he said kind of the same thing without any real specifics or verification, Yeah, they did the opposite.
Speaker 2: It's look that this has been the game almost daily. Robes is back and forth and look, we stayed up late watch the speech, and we're wondering how it was going to be received. We know how we received it, but it is an indication Robes oil prices went up six percent.
Speaker 1: After his speech. They're over around one hundred and six dollars.
Speaker 2: I believe stock markets all over the world as we're recording this have gone down, in particular Asian markets are down and stock futures in the US are down.
Speaker 1: Why Robes.
Speaker 2: The reason is people are looking for a way out and thought this thing was wrapping up, and he was pretty vague if you will about that timeline.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't you say that trust is down? Because what's what's important is when the president speaks, you believe him. When the president says something is so, it must be. This has been proven to not be the case. And so now when the president says something, unless he has verification, unless he has proof, unless he has specifics, no one is necessarily taking him at his word.
Speaker 3: And to that point, most.
Speaker 4: Folks are now looking at what he didn't say, trying to read between the lines to figure out where the truth lies.
Speaker 3: And that's a big problem.
Speaker 4: For Americans, for the world, for the markets. This is due territory. It's hard to imagine where at a place where we need receipts, we need proof from our president. What he's saying is happening is in fact happening.
Speaker 2: It was a famous Reagan line, right, trust but verify. He was talking about a Russian leader when he said that, trust but verify. So the speech last night, it was built as a big one nine o'clock. He got prime time coverage last evening, And to your point, Robes, we're going to go through the major takeaways from the speech based on what he said, Robes, let's start at the top here. Isn't the number one thing from this speech what he did not say.
Speaker 4: Yes, because it was a departure from what we've been hearing him say time and time again over the last several days, saying that negotiations were going on between Iran and the United States. They were begging for us to stop firing our missiles, they were begging for a cease fire, they had agreed to our fifteen point plan. Iran had said that they would stop enriching weapons, greed, uranium.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all of that. He said all of.
Speaker 4: Those things repeatedly and often, and yet in his speech last night he said nothing about negotiations, whether or not they had happened, whether or not they were ongoing, and least of which that they were successful.
Speaker 2: Passing mention. This has been talked about Robes for several days. He even moved a deadline because he said negotiations were going well. At various times the past several days, they have said, yeah, we're talking to this guy, well, yeah, we talked to some people, were talking to somebody. Yeah, this guy seems like he's in George, and then they would never say exactly who they were talking.
Speaker 3: Out of the safety of the people they were talking to.
Speaker 2: We don't want him to get killed by us. We're with one shooting anyway. Fine, but a lot of people said, what the hell, and the whole time he's.
Speaker 1: Doing this wrong.
Speaker 2: Iran has been putting out statement after statement after statements saying ain't no negotiations going on. So yesterday before the speech, he said, the president of Iran, we've been talking to him.
Speaker 1: He wants a ceasefire. What hey, look, Iranians used they use X.
Speaker 2: They responded to that so fast as baseless and false to suggest that we want to cease fire and that negotiations are going on. Robes, we have the leaders of two different countries saying exactly opposite things about what's happening in the background. Now the next question, who do you believe. Surely we would normally say, well, of course, the president of the United States.
Speaker 1: I guess we should do that. We're supposed to we should.
Speaker 2: Where is the proof, for the evidence of any kind that this is happening? Now, even if Iran was denying it, Robes, you turned the United States and they would say, yes, we've been talking to this guy. We understand the statements they're putting out, but we assure you that it we're not hearing that. We're just saying, eh, maybe somethings and some possibilities.
Speaker 4: And not only are we not hearing that, but then last night, when he had the opportunity, when he had the eyes of the nation, the eyes of the world on him twenty minutes uninterrupted, can say whatever he wants, he didn't mention it. That is notable. That is a deliberate omission. He knows that that has been his big I mean, he's been saying that this is why the war is nearly over, because we have obliterated that, because they are begging for mercy. And yet we heard nothing about negotiations last night.
Speaker 2: And so worldes is difficult when we keep hearing the wars winding down and that we have one. He literally said this more than a week ago. We have won. That encourages markets, investors.
Speaker 1: The public.
Speaker 2: But then he goes in last night and talking about we have this left to do. We're gonna hit them harder, We're going to blow him back to the stone Age, and we had this passing mention of negotiations quote, We're going to hit them extremely hard.
Speaker 1: Over the next two to three weeks.
Speaker 2: We're going to bring them back to the stone ages where they belong. In the meantime, discussions are ongoing.
Speaker 3: That's all he said.
Speaker 2: And he didn't say negotiations. Discussions could be with your own staff. He look words. We do this all teign ropes. We see pr statements, what they choose words for a particular reason. Discussions are ongoing. If that was in a press conference, your arm would have gone up. Who you're talking to?
Speaker 1: What do you mean? What's happening? We didn't get that match.
Speaker 4: And when we do have reporters actually follow up and ask those specifics, we don't get any and we are told it's out of security concerns, we can't give you that information because we want to make sure we ensure the safety of the folks we're talking to, And to your point, what sense does that make.
Speaker 3: We're the ones who are firing the missiles. We are the ones who are.
Speaker 4: Reportedly trying to take out leadership, So why would we take out somebody we're negotiating with. We're the so I get the enemy of Iran in that sense. So who else are they fearful that their own people or people within Iran could target that person knowing they're negotiating.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's with Americans the other possible No.
Speaker 2: Because he get called then yeahoo up and said don't kill the guy we're Yeah, So I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: But if it's so dangerous that you can't ensure the safety of the person you're negotiating with from people in his own country, what does that tell you? What what type of leadership could that possibly even ensure going forward?
Speaker 2: What's the word he keeps using about the folks he's talking to, you reasonable? They're more reasonable than the previous regime.
Speaker 3: So it's the third group of people who are unnamed and unknown to anyone.
Speaker 2: That is actually accurate right now. So there's arguments about the regime roads. We keep hearing about regime change regime change. They say the regime has changed. There are other experts out there that would tell you, no, you just killed a couple of leaders of the regime.
Speaker 1: It's the same regime. They just playing. Was it musical chairs?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 2: Right now? To see who was the leader. But this happened last night, nine o'clock. He came out right on time. He started at the top, and I guess this should have been expected. But that was a pretty big victory yesterday for the United States. Artemis was cool to see and he did make comments off the top of a look.
Speaker 4: It was much needed enjoyment, excitement, and just a feeling of pride that has been long missing. I believe in this country for quite some time. And so yes to see Americans and a Canadian blast off into space on a spacecraft that has never been manned before or sorry, crewde before, and we'll be going further into space than has ever we've ever seen humans go before. This is all very exciting, cool stuff and leading to a larger mission on.
Speaker 3: The Moon where we're potentially going to have a base on the Moon.
Speaker 4: This is all really cool stuff that should be exciting and should be celebrated. And yes, the President did acknowledge it, because that was the one bright spot.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then well it went all downhill from there.
Speaker 2: No, it was about a twenty minute speech came out the red tie. He was standing at a podium by himself in this room. It seemed like early at the top he might have been not maybe with staff.
Speaker 1: I don't know when he.
Speaker 3: Said thank you. That was weird. He started off.
Speaker 4: He walks up to the podium in dramatic fashion and begins to speech with thank you.
Speaker 2: So it might have been some people in the room he was acknowledging or something. Not sure exactly what that was. But yes, the major takeaways here we talked about the thing he didn't say. Something else that was major here we'll get into is that he is pleading with you Americans, for your patients and for you to keep some perspective in this war. And he also made a mention of oil and that we don't need theirs. We'll get into that, but the plea to Americans ropes. He's trying here. He was asked a question in the he kind of got into a little back and forth with a reporter in the Oval office. I think it was yesterday who kept trying to ask about gas prices and oil part prices, and his clap back was.
Speaker 1: You're safer, aren't you. Yeah, deal with the gas prices.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they'll come back down.
Speaker 4: Small price to pay for being safer because you don't have a nuclear bomb being lobbed at you, or you don't have incoming ballistic missiles from Iran, so you can sleep safely at night. I think you can handle paying a little more at the pump.
Speaker 2: It was a little condescend, you know. It didn't sympathize at all with what Americans might be going through. He just said, yeah, pay for gas. I'm making you safer. But he did go a little farther ropes in his comment last night, pleading with Americans and going through and listing other major wars and essentially comparing the timelines of those wars to the timeline so far of the war in Iran.
Speaker 4: Yes, so he went on to say this, it is very important that we keep this conflict in perspective. American involvement and World War One lasted one year, seven months and five days. World War two lasted for three years, eight months and twenty five days. The Korean War lasted for three years, one month, and two days. The Vietnam War lasted for nineteen years, five months and twenty nine days. The Iraq War went on for eight years, eight months, twenty eight days. You see what he's doing here, obviously creating the perspective, y'all are being impatient. You want results, And it's only been a matter of days, he says. We are in this military operation, so powerful, so brilliant, against one of the most powerful countries for thirty two days, and the country has been eviscerated and is essentially.
Speaker 3: Really no longer a threat.
Speaker 4: They were the bully of the Middle East, but they're the bully no longer. This is a true investment in your children and your grandchildren's future.
Speaker 1: Does that land?
Speaker 2: Does that land in making a case to people right now who are dealing with airports, dealing with gas prices, dealing with an increase and prices of all kinds of stuff and uncertainty?
Speaker 1: Does that? Is that a good pitch?
Speaker 4: It would be if Americans believe that Iran was an imminent threat. And I think there is the problem for the president in that most people did not walk around, did not feel on a daily basis that somehow our safety, our security as a nation was under threat by Iran, so we're supposed to believe him when he tells us that they were about to be able to strike the homeland.
Speaker 1: That's the thing.
Speaker 2: I think a lot of Americans most were willing to listen, Okay, we're going to we'll right now.
Speaker 1: Why did we have to do this?
Speaker 2: And I think Robes and immediately twenty four forty eight seventy two hours afterwards, we were hearing from so very many different members of the administration, and we didn't get real clarity on what we were doing, why we were doing it. And you remember, they're going to have a nuclear weapon within days if we didn't strike.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen that.
Speaker 4: Yet after we obliterated their nuclear capabilities months earlier this past summer.
Speaker 3: So there's the problem.
Speaker 4: When you tell us one thing and then six months later tell us a completely other thing to justify a war.
Speaker 3: We weren't even anticipating.
Speaker 2: You got a problem, and Americans aren't stupid, Robes. When you say a line like that Iran is essentially really no longer younger a threat, then what are we doing for the next two or three weeks?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and what about all those caveats? Essentially really, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look that matters. Words matter.
Speaker 4: He is couching everything he's saying with adverbs or whatever descriptives that contradict certainty.
Speaker 2: Well, you say it like that generally for the most part, I mean, I mean kind of sort of. I mean, he's using kind of language like that when it comes to war. But he's telling us that they're no longer a threat. We hear that, and that Robes is supposed to be encouraging for Yes, investors and Americans, but he tells us they're no longer a threat two or three weeks, two or three weeks. He's telling us all to get buckled in and this war is going to go another two or three weeks. Nobody liked hearing that yesterday, Robes, because we've heard this, have we not from day one? You should wrap this up in a week or so? Eh two or three weeks. We've heard these numbers and these timelines.
Speaker 4: It feels like after the first day we were told everything was gone, the navy was obliterated, the army gone, the regime completely murdered, killed everyone, like it was as if everything was wiped out and mission accomplished. He didn't say that, obviously, but but in so many different ways. He has been saying that we've won from almost the first day he used that word.
Speaker 2: He said, we won, So, yeah, mission accomplished. He didn't have a banner up behind him. Sure, maybe everybody's learned that lesson, but he said we've won, and it had the same impact. He might as well have had the banner, Babe, He might as well have been on an aircraft carrier. Because we listened to the president's say we have one a war that has continued weeks after he said we want it, and it still doesn't look like we have a good way out of it. So, like I said, folks, don't just listen to us. Oil prices went up, stock prices went down. But stay here. He made two other comments that really got attention, one of them having to do with oil, saying the US doesn't even need your oil. We got plenty. That didn't sit well with a lot of folks. And you remember that deadline, Well it's coming up on April sixth, a deadline that if they don't open the straight or her moves, we will blow them to smithereens. Well, didn't hear anything about that last night? All right, continue here, on Amy and TJ a late night a lot of people might not have stayed up and seeing the Prime Time addressed from the President but addressing the war in Iran, letting us know where things are, and Ropes said, two or three weeks coming up on Monday is a deadline that he set saying if we don't have a deal by April sixth, then I will blow up your energy infrastructure and your main energy power, all this stuff.
Speaker 1: Didn't hear a word about it last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you said a deadline, he said a deadline. He's pushed back twice.
Speaker 4: So he gave them what was at forty eight hours. Initially that it was five days, then it was ten days. So he's literally pushed the goalpost back two times.
Speaker 3: It is now set at April sixth.
Speaker 4: And when you draw a line in the sand like that, when you give somebody an ultimatum and you've pushed it back twice, Now, what are you going to do on this third time? Are you actually going to follow through? If you say something. I remember someone giving me this advice as a parent. If you threaten a punishment, if you threaten a consequence, you absolutely have to deliver because if you do not. You will never be taken seriously again by your child.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And I think about that.
Speaker 4: Just on a micro level as a parent, and then applying that to the macro level of yes, we're in the middle of a war and you are making this hard line.
Speaker 3: You've said it. What are you going to do when they don't blink?
Speaker 1: They didn't blink.
Speaker 2: And what he's been able to do Rope so far is to say, well, the reason I haven't followed through is because negotiations are going.
Speaker 4: So well, negotiations that he didn't mention last night, the deadline that he didn't refer to last night.
Speaker 3: Notice also he went a lot softer on NATO allies.
Speaker 4: He had been eviscerating folks in Europe for their unwillingness to help us in our war, them very clearly, many of them coming out and saying, yeah, it's not our war, We're not about to do it. We heard even Marco Rubio saying we don't need to be in NATO. President Trump basically saying the same thing, let's get out of NATO.
Speaker 3: No mention of that last night, whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It was a I was I don't know what we were expecting.
Speaker 3: The information, Yeah, you know, what.
Speaker 2: We just said is more notable for what he didn't say. A lot of what we heard last night wasn't new. No, he just had a bigger audience for it, and he had this prime time But if you raised the level, if you say, I want a prime time address, and we didn't hear anything new.
Speaker 4: We were thinking there was going to be some sort of information, something we all needed to know as a nation.
Speaker 3: This was going to be a big deal to have this formal address.
Speaker 4: It's not supposed to be a pr campaign where you're trying to get people on your side, and that's basically what this was. He was trying to convince us still that the war was worthy and that we were winning it.
Speaker 3: But he was not there to give us.
Speaker 4: Any new information, any new update, And so that was where I think a lot of people were just scratching their heads.
Speaker 3: What is this for? Why are we watching this? What are we listening to?
Speaker 2: So much talk about the straight of horror moves as well robes and twenty percent of the world's oil going through there, but a lot of it is not making his way to the United States. We don't get a lot of oil from Gulf countries, but the President said, we don't give a damn about the straight of horror moves last night and say not yourself out. We got plenty of oil. We don't need the oil. That might be true. There's a problem though, we have to care because of that oil is not on the world market. Oil prices will continue to go up. Gas prices will continue to go up. So a lot of people heard that it's almost being dismissed if like it's no big deal to us, to the straight up wour moves. It is a huge deal to us.
Speaker 4: And it also twice in the face of prior statements he made just you know earlier this week saying I love taking Iranian oil.
Speaker 3: I want to take their oil.
Speaker 4: So it just he says one thing one day, he says the complete opposite the next day.
Speaker 3: Which one is true? Which one are we supposed to believe?
Speaker 2: It's an evolving situation, Rose, it's an evolving situation. Hey, it's war man, It's an evolving situation. But last night we were expecting, and I think a lot of people Rose, maybe we're hoping for and expecting more guidance the off ramp people keep talking about.
Speaker 1: Didn't hear it last night.
Speaker 4: And there was not a plan for an off ramp. There wasn't even any cifix for how we're getting out of it. It was almost as if because there was no mention of negotiations, no mention of a ceasefire, it was almost like, we're just going to keep blowing things up until we can't blow anything else up anymore, and then we're just going to leave. Because there was no mention of ground troops, there was no mention of all of these other possibilities.
Speaker 3: And actually that was one of the possibilities.
Speaker 4: I think people were expecting he might be saying, either there is a ceasefire, there is negotiation, or we're sending troops in. There was like to me to put up and to ask for that prime time bit of airtime from all the broadcast networks. You would think it would be something like we are sending troops in. Our men and women are are going to invade Iran in very targeted attacks or floors over something.
Speaker 3: Nothing and so right.
Speaker 4: There was no specifics about any change of course, any new developments.
Speaker 3: It was just like, here's why it's.
Speaker 4: Not so bad, and it's not been that long, but my goodness, there really wasn't a headline of any new information.
Speaker 2: We're keeping an eye on it today as always, Folks, top right corner of your Apple podcast tap where you see our show page, a little button says follow.
Speaker 1: Click that make sure you subscribe and always get our updates coming to you.
Speaker 2: And like we always say, ropes, there have been a plenty these days. We always appreciate you spending some time with us. You can look for the morning run. It'll be up on the feed here in just a bit. As always, we always appreciate your spending time with us on TJ on behalf of my dear Amy Robot.
Speaker 1: We will talk to me all soon