Speaker 1: Welcome to Zero. I am Aksha Drati. This week the ice cream wars. Ice Cream is my guilty pleasure, and I'm glad to report that today I get to talk about it on this climate podcast because there's currently an ice cream war that's raging and it involves Ben Cohen, the co founder of the ice cream brand Ben and Jerry's.
Speaker 2: Put simply, the very values led business structure that's made Ben and Jerry's into the brand it is today is precisely the thing that Magnum is in the process of destroying.
Speaker 1: The best introduction to Ben and Jerry's is their ice cream flavors Cherry, Garcia, fish food, cookie dough, half baked, and the list goes on for this episode, though the history of Benanjerry's is probably more relevant. The company was founded in nineteen seventy eight by Ben Cohen and Jerry Grainfield in the U S state of Vermont and quickly grew to be a nationwide brand known for its chunky ice cream and support for social causes refugees, LGBTQ, communities, and climate justice. Just a decade after the business was founded, Cohen and Greenfield were named U S Small Business Persons of the Year by President Ronald Reagan at a ceremony at the White House. Now fast forward to two thousand, the company gets bought by the global food giant Unilever, with a promise that Beningerry's can continue its social mission. As you'll hear in the interview, Unilever did support that social mission until twenty twenty one. That's when Benanjerry's decided to halt its distribution in the West Bank as an act of solidarity for the people of Palestine. An Unilever took steps that angered the founders Ben and Jerry. Before those issues could be resolved, in July twenty twenty five, Unilever spun its entire ice cream division out into the Magnum ice Cream Company, with Ben and Jerry's as one of its leading brands. The way Unilever acted since twenty twenty one has caused Ben and Jerry a lot of grief. Jerry quit the company last year, and Ben went on to start a campaign to spin out Ben and Jerry's as an independent company. Magnum says Ben and Jerry's is not for sale and that the brand is thriving under its ownership. Ben disagrees, so I sat down with Ben Cohen at the recent south By Southwest Festival in London to ask about the Free Benanjerry's campaign, why he thinks it is important for businesses to pursue social causes, and what the future of ice cream is on a warming planet. Listen to the end for a full response to Ben's comments from Ben and Jerry's, the brand, and from its owner Magnum. Also, if you'd like to watch a video version of this episode, you can do that on YouTube. We've put a link in the show notes. Ben, Welcome to zero.
Speaker 3: Hi, good to be here at zero. So over the.
Speaker 1: Years, Ben and Jerry's has stood for a number of progressive causes, including acting on climate change. And this is a climate podcast, so we will touch on climate issues. But let's just start with why you've got a company involved in social causes in the first place. Because most people will say that the role of a company, what it's set up for, is to provide returns to shareholders, not to work on social stuff.
Speaker 3: What we discovered is that it's possible to do both.
Speaker 2: This idea that companies can't be responsible, can't care about the community, can't work to repair problems economic.
Speaker 3: Or social justice or the environment. It's just false.
Speaker 2: Businesses are incredibly powerful. They're the most powerful force in our society. And if business isn't going to be paying attention to the problems, they are never going to get solved.
Speaker 1: Ben and Jerry's was created in Burlington, Vermont in nineteen seventy eight, and since the nineteen eighties you're really known for not just the ice cream, but all the social causes that you've supported over the years. Until two thousand, Ben and Jerry's was very much run by you and Jerry, but then it was bought by Unilever. Now, at the time Ben and Jerry's was a public company.
Speaker 3: Then uni Lever was.
Speaker 1: Trying to take over. You and Jerry did not have a controlling stake, so you couldn't stop the takeover from happening. It sort of happened against your wishes, is what you've said.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: It happened because Ben and Jerry's was a public company. Do you regret taking Ben and Jerry's public in the first place.
Speaker 2: You know, I guess considering what happened, yeah, I do regret that we thought that we had legal controls in place that would have prevented that from happening, but apparently we didn't. I think there's there's other mechanisms that now exist, like B corporations and steward ownership models that would have prevented what happened, But yeah, I do regret.
Speaker 1: So despite selling the company to Unilever, at least until recently, Ben and Jerry's continued to push its social mission. And that was because of this unique place in which Ben and Jerry's ended up inside a giant corporation, but with this independent board of directors that you say has legal authority over the company's social mission in perpetuity. How exactly did you convince Unilever, a giant corporation to create the structure because you know, like I cover companies for my job, and I really cannot think of a company that would look at this structure and be okay with the liabilities that would come with it. How did you pull it off?
Speaker 2: Well, what happened was that Unilever and Neslei were the two global ice cream players. They were arch competitors, and Nesley bought Hagendas, so they had a super premium ice cream and Unilever didn't, So they really wanted to have one, and Ben and Jerry's was one, and so they wanted to acquire it. As you said, Jerry and I were very resistant to that, and we were resistant.
Speaker 3: Because we thought.
Speaker 2: That the values would you know, would disappear, that the social mission would you know, would essentially evaporate. And so Unilever kind of understood that and UH said, well, we can write the social mission into the contract, into the purchase and sales agreement. And when we tried to do that, we realized that you couldn't do that because the social mission needed to evolve and change.
Speaker 3: With the times.
Speaker 2: And so what was set up is that the structure that was purchased became a wholly owned independent subsidiary.
Speaker 3: So the way it was explained to.
Speaker 2: Me is that well before we had thousands of shareholders and now it would be just the same, except we'd only have one shareholder. But our concern was that Unilever didn't have the same social so if the owner doesn't, then you know, we figured it would go away and we couldn't write it in. And the solution was to form this independent board of directors for the holy owned subsidiary inside Unilever that has legal authority for the social mission and the quality of the ice cream, the use of the trademark and a few other things.
Speaker 1: But you did not have much of an ownership stake at the time. So what was your leverage to make Unilever to create the structure at all.
Speaker 2: Well, there were when you have a public company and another company makes an offer to buy it, then the company becomes what they call in play, and other companies can then make offers to buy it. And there were other companies making offers, and Unilever wanted to make the best want.
Speaker 3: So I think that's.
Speaker 2: Why they came up with this, why they agreed to this independence and board.
Speaker 1: So beyond the social mission in a way, resistance to large corporation is also something that has been part of Ben and Jerry's work. So talk me through the very first resistance campaign that you and Jerry ran against Pillsbury. What's the dough boy afraid of? What was that about?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: So, you know, in the early days, Ben and Jurry's was just starting to sell its ice cream over state lines beyond Vermont, right beyond Vermont, and so we sold into New Hampshire and Maine, and then we went into our first major market, which was Boston. When we went into Boston, what happened was that Pillsbury had purchased hoggand Us and both brands, hagened Us and Ben and Jury's were being distributed by the same distributors. They distributed about twenty different brands of ice cream. And the Pillsbury guys ca to our distributors and said, if you continue to sell Ben and Jerry's, we're not going to sell Yahagan Dos anymore. So, you know, and the distributors came to us, they said, hey, Ben Jerry, we really like you guys. It's really good ice cream. But you know, Haggen Dost has been around a long time. It's the biggest selling thing we have on our trucks. And I said, we can't have both, and so we're going.
Speaker 3: To have to drop your ice cream.
Speaker 2: And you know the problem was that we had just had an in state Vermont public stock offering, so we had sold shares in our company to our neighbors. One out of every hundred Vermont families had become an owner.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: So here was this existential threat to the company because if we couldn't sell to a distributor who was already carrying hogen dust. We really couldn't sell to any decent distributors all around the country because they were all carrying Hagendus. You know, we've realized that, you know, it's a restrain of trade under federal anti trust law. But uh, you know, we were this little company and Pillsbury was this huge company with a lot of lawyers that they could afford to spend a lot of money on and we didn't. So we figured what we would do is we would let the public know what's going on.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, so we started the what's the Doughboy afraid of? Campaign?
Speaker 2: We had aerial banners flying over the sports stadiums in Boston saying what's the dough boy afraid of? And we had you know, bus signs on the sides of the buses that showed these two pudgy white hands coming out from behind the sign squeezing Ben and Jerry's saying, don't let Pillsbury's dollars strangle Ben and Jerry's ice cream.
Speaker 3: What's the dough boy afraid of?
Speaker 2: And you know, we were making a little headway and then we thought, you know, who really cares.
Speaker 3: If Ben and Jerry's goes down? The tubes said, well, it must be our customers.
Speaker 2: So we put an eight hundred number on our pine containers with a sticker, and you know, eight hundred numbers were new at the time, and you call it up and you get an answering machine with tape. They were new at the time too, and you know when you call it up, you know you got a recording from Jerry and myself telling the story of what was going on and asking people to leave their name and address for a dough boy kit and we would mail them what's the dough Boy afraid of bumper sticker for their car and a write in letter to the chairman of the board of Pillsbury and a chance to send in ten dollars and get a t shirt that said Ben and Jerry's Legal Defense Fund major contributor.
Speaker 3: So it worked. In the end, it did. The media started to pick it up.
Speaker 2: Well, what happened was because of that eight hundred number, we started getting several hundred calls a week, mostly between the hours of midnight and three am, which is when people are eating our ice cream, I guess us. And the media picked it up, and the Pillsbury dough Boy was getting such a black Eye that Pillsbury relented.
Speaker 1: And you've used this essentially customer love for the brand to try and get a lot of your social mission also heard and fought for now under Unilever, there was an interview of yours for the podcast How I Build This by Guy raz And twenty seventeen. Under Unilever, from until twenty seventeen, it seemed you and Jerry were quite happy with how Unilever had managed the company because it continued to support social causes like occupy Wall Street as a corporation going against other corporations, or you know, even the climate change ice cream that you'd put out. What changed because right now you're running a campaign against well Unilever a is part owner, but Magnum Corporation, which has spun out of Unilever. What changed between twenty seventeen and now that you don't think what Unilever or Magnum is doing is right.
Speaker 3: The major change that happened was in twenty twenty one when.
Speaker 2: Unilever and the independent Board of directors of Ben and Jerry's and the management of Ben and Jerry's, after a lot of study, all agreed that Ben and Jerry should stop selling in the occupied territories in the West Bank of Palestine, and so we announced that we were pulling out. And what I'm told is that the head of Israel called up the head of Unilever and said, if you don't.
Speaker 3: Get that ice cream back here, we're going to kick out all.
Speaker 2: The Unilever businesses from Israel. And they had quite a few there. So, you know, Unilever on its own sold off the rights to Ben and Jerry's too in Israeli and that was something that Unilever wasn't allowed to do.
Speaker 3: That that was the purview of this independent board of directors.
Speaker 1: So Unilever has since then gone even one step further. It's spun out its entire ice cream division, including the Ben and Jerry's brand, under Magnum correct now for Magnum. It is now a nine billion euro company and something like ten percent of fifteen percent of all its sales are down to the Ben and Jerry's brand. So it's very valuable as a brand to them. But Magnum has also made it clear to you that they are not selling the brand because it's so valuable. You are now running a campaign to try and free Ben and Jerry's from the Magnum brand. How is that campaign going? How will you succeed?
Speaker 2: I think the campaign is gathering more and more traction. You know, there's over one hundred and thirty thousand people that have signed petitions and letters to Magnum. Our supporters want to do more than that, so they've been kind of infiltrating the Magnum social media, you know, saying free Ben and Jerry's. And you know, that's been going so well that Magnum has changed their settings so if you tag Magnum, it doesn't show up on their social media anymore. So now you have to actually go to their page and comment. And in terms of media coverage, there's there's more and more attention being paid to it.
Speaker 1: After the break, I asked Ben Cohen whether people really buy Ben and Jerry's for its social impact because they just like the taste. If you're enjoying this episode and everything we do here at Zero, please take a couple of minutes to write us a review on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or YouTube, where you can watch a full video of this conversation. Getting one hundred and thirty thousand signatures, you know, an important achievement, but the way I understand, if you're going to remove free the Ben and Jerry's brand from a giant corporation like Magdem, you're going to have to convince the shareholders who own the company to allow this kind of thing to happen, right, And so far I've only seen like one letter, it was dated May first this year, from a set of shareholders who own about one million euros worth of shares in the company, asking questions of Magnum what is it doing to respect the independent social mission of Ben and Jerry's. That's roughly point zero one percent of the company is total value, So you have a long way to go to convince shareholders. What are you doing to convince the people who own the company to let Ben and Jerry's be free?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that the decision making body is actually their board of directors, and that's.
Speaker 3: Who we're trying to influence.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're making two major points from a fiduciary point of view. One is that they ended up charging their shareholders quite a bit of money for the Ben and Jerry's brand, and that by not allowing the brand to actualize its social mission, especially today when trump Ism is essentially the biggest attack on the values of Ben and Jerry since the company was founded, and Magnum has said, you cannot criticize Trump, you cannot do things that Trump doesn't you know, you can't criticize things that Trump likes. And you know that kind of makes Ben and Jury's pretty hypocritical, and I think it really damages the brand. And so put simply, the very values led business.
Speaker 3: Structure that's made Ben.
Speaker 2: And Jerry's into the brand it is today is precisely the thing that Magnum is in the process of destroying.
Speaker 1: But this is in a way, you're trying to convince the shareholders that the reputation of Ben and Jerry's, the thing that makes them sell Ben and Jerry's and earn so much money, is at stake. But Magnum doesn't think so, and sales of Ben and Jerry's continue to do well. So do you think people are really buying Ben and Jerry's for the social mission or they just like the ice cream?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean some people are just buying it because of the ice cream, and some people buy it because of the ice cream and the social mission. And you know, if you think about how traditional companies do advertising and marketing. I mean mostly it's about kind of making up, you know, funny stories or emotional stories to get people to like the brand.
Speaker 3: But it's a pretty ephemeral connection.
Speaker 2: And for Ben and Jerry's, the relationship that it has with its customers is based on shared values, which is a.
Speaker 3: Very very strong and deep connection.
Speaker 2: So I think that's what's at stake here, and you know it's the destruction is going to happen gradually. It's not going to happen overnight. People remember the things that it used to do.
Speaker 1: One thing you can do in making this business case is go to the shareholders, who are people who run other businesses. Right. I was looking at the top twenty shareholders in the Magnum corporation and you have the big names. You have black Rock, you have Vanguard, you have Goldman Sachs, you have Wellington Management, you even have the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund in there. Have you tried to make a case to them that the social of Ben and Jerry's is what is providing them with the returns that they are gaining right now and that is under threat.
Speaker 2: We have not, but especially when you mentioned the Norwegian Sovereign Wealth Fund, My understanding is that they've got some social values.
Speaker 3: We should probably talk to them.
Speaker 1: Take a step back, and you've run a business that has had a social mission. There are not that many businesses. You talked a few about B corporations. They're growing in number, but really, if you think of a recognizable brand that continues to have a social mission and generate returns, Patagonia is the other name that comes to mind. What is holding back more companies from having social missions? Of working the way you have to show that the people who buy it with that care and then they come back to support the types of causes that you are fighting for. Why is it that more companies aren't doing it?
Speaker 2: I think that the traditional business man is that the purpose of a business is to maximize short term profits.
Speaker 3: And that's what they do. That's what they learned in business school.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know that the people that are running them don't understand that it's really possible to combine both things. It's easier to just hire an advertising agency and U and a PR agency too to make up stories that people like that make them feel.
Speaker 3: Good about it.
Speaker 2: You know, I think a lot of businesses, business people are concerned about taking a stand on something where not everybody is going to agree with it.
Speaker 3: What I've always said is that if.
Speaker 2: You're going to take a stand on something and everybody already agrees with it, you didn't need to take a stand on it to begin with. But the other thing to understand is that, you know, no business has one hundred percent market share. You don't have to appeal to everybody. You have to appeal to a few, you know, a percentage a lot. And I think by by having a social mission, by by having this relationship based on shared.
Speaker 3: Values, you do appeal to people a lot.
Speaker 1: Benejei's has been around for fifty years, You've seen this change in how business is done over those fifty years. Do you think this recent backlash against sort of environmental social governance factors the things that would make companies go towards having a social mission and building a company around not just profits, but also providing services that people want. Do you think that backlash is you know, a trend and that it will reverse at some point, or do you see that this is a real rupture from what was in the past that was helping more companies have a social machine.
Speaker 2: I think, uh, you know, companies that were just following the trends following maybe they thought it was fads following the following the market. You know, the market says black lives matter. Okay, we're going to say black lives matter. The market says diversity equity and inclusion matters. Okay, we're going to do diversity equity inclusion. And then you know, the President comes in to the White House and says diversity equity inclusion is bad, so they jettison diversity, equity and inclusion. The issue is that they were just kind of tacking these things on. It was not part of the mission of the company. It was not part of the purpose of the company. So they just thought, well, this is the latest trend.
Speaker 3: I'm going to do it. Now it's not the latest trend, I'm not going to do it.
Speaker 1: So one of the things that is core to Ben and Jerry's is relying on dairy. Yes, dairy as you know as a big contributor to climate change.
Speaker 3: You're talking about cow farts.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well a lot of the emissions are actually cowburbs rather than farts. But now the parts always make people laugh. Now, it is something that not just Ben and Jerry's, but other ice cream brands have to deal with. What is the way in which if a company is not just fighting for social causes but also has to act on them. You know, Ben and Jerry's has gone down the renewable energy path, but dairy isn't something that it's been able to address. What can be done for ice creams to cut their emissions to zero?
Speaker 2: Well, we have come out with non dairy quote unquote ice cream. It's other sorts of creams. I think we're using oats and you know, the product tastes great, and you know, if people buy more of that, we're going to make more.
Speaker 3: And less of the stuff with dairy.
Speaker 2: But you know the reality is that real milk and cream tastes really good and you don't need to use artificial ingredients, you don't need to use chemicals if you're using real milk and cream. I mean, it's you know, it's the same issue as say butter. I mean, I hope we're not saying that butter should not exist or that milk should not exist. You know, yes, I mean any business has a negative environmental impact, it has a footprint, and yeah, dairy is one of our footprints.
Speaker 1: And is it something that you've been able to do with Ben and Juria's. Where you educate the people in the choices that they are making. Can you help change the types of choices people are making as a company.
Speaker 2: Well, all Ben and Jerry's has done is provide an alternative, which is the non dairy frozen desserts that we make.
Speaker 3: We have not you know, gone out and said that milk and cream have a negative environmental impact. Should you.
Speaker 1: It's a good question, you know, I don't know when all these changes to the business were happening that weren't things that you liked. Did you ever consider starting a company that is I don't know, Jerry and Ben's and just coming up with your own counter brand to show what your brand used to really stand for?
Speaker 2: You know people have suggested that, but you know, starting a new company is a whole lot of work. And you know, Jerry and I were twenty six when we started Ben and Jerry's and had a you know, I had a lot more energy than we currently do. And starting a new company from scratches, you know, not not something that you know that I've thought of doing. I mean, I think that the important thing is is the power of Ben and Jerry's because it's gotten to be such a large company and it and its reputation is so good, and it's you know, well known in a large section of the world.
Speaker 3: You know, So.
Speaker 2: Starting one from scratch, trying to do that, it'll take you know, it took fifty years to build Ben and Jerry's. It would you know, it would probably take another fifty to do that.
Speaker 3: And the and the other.
Speaker 2: There's two other factors, which is the reason why I decided to put all my energy into freeing Ben and Jerry's. One is that Ben and Jerry's is one of the leaders of the social and responsible business movement. And if we lose that, if we newter Ben and Jerry's, it loses that leadership, and it's a real setback, I think.
Speaker 1: So in this process, you have this campaign, it's been running for some time now. You've also had a partner throughout this period in Jerry Greenfield, who you and Jerry have been friends for life and you continue to be friends now. But Jerry has quit in September twenty twenty five, he stopped being part of the resistance campaign. You continue, Why did Jerry quit?
Speaker 2: He resigned in protest, you know, Jerry is an amazing guy. He's my best friend, incredibly compassionate and kind and loving, smart, everything you'd want in a friend. But by his own admission, he's extremely conflict averse.
Speaker 3: And you know, I mean, I don't.
Speaker 2: Particularly like conflict myself, but I can take it and it you know, this is a conflict situation. It's kind of a battle, and it's not the kind of thing that Jerry could do.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Ben, you bet, and thank you for listening to zero. For a full video version of this conversation, search for it on YouTube or find a link in the show notes. We reached out to the Magnum company for comment. A spokesperson said, and I quote Ben and Jerry Rees is not for sale and is thriving as part of the Magnum ice Cream Company. Ben and Jerry's continues to advocate for a range of causes and is a bold voice for social justice. It has recently spoken out on ice, on the conflict in Iran, on freedom of speech, on migrant and refugee justice, in defense of democratic processes, and in support of No King's Day. In the US, the brand grew its sales three percent last year and gained market share in the US and Europe. As separate spokesperson for the brand, Ben and Jerry said, we are grateful to Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield for all they have done to inspire and build this company. Their vision and activism have shaped our mission for almost fifty years, and we continue to steward that mission forward. The company's program for dairy farm workers in Vermont, the Netherlands, Germany and the UK has worked for nearly two decades to advance climate smart farming practices, support farmer livelihoods, farm worker rights, promote strong animal welfare standards, and reduce the environmental impact of dairy production. End quote. If you enjoyed this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar Boyd and Meghan Olson. Our theme music is composed by Wondering Special thanks to Charlotte Hughes Morgan, Kiiran Banerjee, Kalum Baker, Soamersadi, Nour Milan and Sharan chan i'm Akshadrati bak Sui