Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Single best idea, and it could have gone any number of different ways. Yesterday we didn't do when I was over at the Plaza Hotel, we did not get single best idea done. If we had, we would have led with a conversation with Admiral Mullen. Michael Mullen was piercing in a lengthy conversation yesterday the former Chairman Joint Chief's Staff on all sorts of Pentagon issues. We'll talk about that with Ethan Browner in a moment today. Wendy Schiller where this was brown University. She starts her fall semester there. And international relations. Wendy Schiller on the state of European politics and America.
Speaker 1: I think that a lot of these leaders are still somewhat stunned that America reelected Donald Trump. From the perspective, I think that they, you know, they come from parliamentary systems, as you well know, Tom, and in parliamentary systems, many of those leaders have what we would call absolute power. Right they have a party that elects them from the legislative branch, and there all their ministers run things, and that you know, the programs President proposes, you know, have to go through Congress and be compromised with not In parliamentary systems, the government owns the policy making outright. So I don't think they're at all surprised that the executive branch has become so powerful in American politics. I think their surprise institutionally were set up so differently. How did the president amass so much power over his own party when they're not elected electrially connected the way all across.
Speaker 2: Europe bruns It as simple as that. If you say, why is Wendy Schiller famous within international relations? That is what she's gifted at. Her textbooks are hugely acclaimed for explaining the complexities of international relations simplistically. That was a perfect DISCUSSI of something we don't understand, we take for granted every day, which is the Madisonian American system. And she says, guess what, they're all on a parliamentary system and they so it's sort of like Game of Thrones gone bad. But anyways, that was brilliant for Professor Schiller. What a joy to have Ethan Bronner in our studios today. Definitive at The New York Times, The Israeli Bureau chief for Bloomberg Ethan Bronner, on the Senate, the House in Washington and Israel.
Speaker 3: It's shattering, and there is a concern, especially the Democratic side, that it has lost its support for Israel. It has only the republic ends of the Democrats that I forget which what number, but a surprising number of them voted to pose an impose an arms embargo for offensive arms toward Gaza, and that's they're quite worried about that.
Speaker 2: I got to get this question in Pul's two important SI from Long Island emails in would President Harris do anything different?
Speaker 3: I think she would have done many things differently. I don't think she would have unleashed Israel.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I think the more interesting question is would Israel have done what it wanted to do anyway? And I think it's a decent possibility that it would have been nearly as militarily aggressive as it has been because it came to the conclusion that it had no choice. Whether or not you agree with that, but I'm certain that President President Kamala Harris would have acted very differently towards this government.
Speaker 2: Yes, Ethan Bronner in our studios in New York, riveting here on the Mess. It's a very sophisticated word, but I'll say it the Mess in Israel, on your podcast on Apple and Spotify around the world, on YouTube podcasts as well. It's single best idea