Speaker 1: You're listening to The Buck Sexton Show podcast, make sure you subscribe to the podcast on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcasts. Hey, everybody, welcome to the Buck Sexton Show. On this episode, we have the one and only Peter Schweitzer. You will know him from his many best selling books. He's an investigative reporter and author. His latest book, Red Handed, How American Elites Get rich. Helping China win is really important and I'm excited to talk toim about it now. Peter, Great to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, Buck, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: So just give everybody if we could start this because you know, we're going to talk Biden and we're going to get into some of that, and we're going to talk about some of the specifics here of individuals who it seems we're willing to certainly sell themselves, if not sell out their country a little bit on behalf of the Chinese Communist Party. Give us a sense of the scope of the problem.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the scope of the problem touches basically all the corners of America, Washington, d C, Silicon Valley, and Wall Street. And it's predicated on a very simple idea that the Chinese have, which they call elite capture. They've used it in New Orleans, sorry, New Orleans. They've used it in New Zealand. They've used it in Australia, they've used it in Singapore. And the idea is pretty simple. Rather than go to toe toe to toe with countries and have confrontations, you basically buy off their political elites, and you do that by giving commercial deals to their family members. And it's working very, very well in the United States. It includes people on both sides of the isle, and it includes some of the biggest names in Wall Street and Silicon Valley as well.
Speaker 1: So give me some you know, we're, like I said, we're going to get to the Biden component of this, but it's a lot more than that in China's efforts to undermine the United States from within, and a lot of ways I find even more frightening, Peter than some of the you know, the Soviets were relying on ideological fellow travelers comrades.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: For the Soviets, it was this false promise of a utopia. Find some malcontent in America who thinks that eventually he'll be greeted you know, it's back in the in the fifties and the sixties, the seventies, he'll be greeted as a hero. There were the occasional whether you know, an FBI turncode or somebody who was doing it just for the money, but you know, usually the money is not that good and if you get caught, you're gonna go to prison forever. Right, So it was people that were ideologically motivated. Usually with China. If they can give people millions and millions of dollars and they're not going to jail for it, I feel like that's a lot more problematic for us because it's a much more persuasive bargain and therefore gives them much greater leverage to undermine the US from within.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, this is a key point, Buck. We've never faced anything like this, and you're correct. I mean the Soviets others like the Cubans use an ideological appeal, or they find somebody that's got personal financial problems that needs election the extra cash. What the Chinese do is they appeal to our sense of capitalism, they appeal to our sense of friendship, and they embrace it. And it's very very effective. And where there are people that are so wealthy, like Bill Gates, who don't necessarily need money from China. They appeal to their sense of value as a world leader. So a guy like Bill Gates, you're not going to necessarily get by some commercial deal because he's already worth one hundred billion dollars. But you can name him one of the fifty most influential people in Chinese history, right next to Karl Marx and Mao, and you can give him awards, and President g will shower him with attention when he shows up. So they're very good at taking our weaknesses, taking perhaps some of our sins or sinful nature, and using it to their strategic advantage. And they've been masterful at it. And as you point out, not really any of this is illegal, which is what makes it so challenging.
Speaker 1: Right, you take a suitcase full of money to give the names of you know, US agents operating in let's say the Soviet Union. It's treason and you know you could even get the death penalty for this, right, I mean, you're you're in a whole hell of a lot of trouble. You get millions of dollars for consulting from China, because you're some kind of you have some kind of business interest in that country, or they're going to pay you for your expertise. That's just capitalism, baby, right, that's a whole different ballgame. Give us some sense of who who's involved in this in a way that when you were doing your research for Red Handed, the book that everybody should check out get a copy of right now, how American elites helped get American elites get rich helping China win. Who's involved in this that was a little surprising, or their involvement in getting rich from China was so egregious that you had to say to yourself, is this really what's going on?
Speaker 2: Good question. Well, I'll give you a couple of examples. One that was particularly appalling to me. I think it's an illustration of what selling your soul looks like. Is a Wall Street Titan named Ray Dalio. Ridgewater Associates the largest hedge fund in the world. Ray Daalio in twenty seventeen wrote this glowing book called Principles Ironically, and in that book he describes a gentleman from China who's had this profound effect on him, and he writes glnely for seven pages, how Wonki Sean has been this remarkable force for good on a global scale. He talks about him as this sort of philosophical giant that's unlike any leader that we've had in the last one hundred years, and he just gushes on and on and on. So I'm thinking, who is this guy, Wonky Sean? I look it up, and of course he is She's enforcer. The Economist magazine calls him the most feared man in China, because if you get disappeared in China, Wonkyi Sean is the guy that makes it happen. And so I thought to myself, what prompts a guy like ray Daalio, who's clearly smart. He can go and look at what the Economist says about this guy. Why is he gushing on and on and on for seven to ten pages about how wonderful this person is as an individual. Well about a year after he publishes the book, Wonky Sean is the Chinese official that approves his company, Bridgewater Associates, to become the first Western financial firm to offer hedge front products to the average person in China. So, to me, that is a classic example of the appalling lengths to which people are willing to go in order to cash in before I go to the I'm trying to hold myself back here a little bit on the political want.
Speaker 1: I want to know the full everything you got on Biden, everything you got on Pelosi when it comes to this stuff. I think's interesting though, on the cover of your book Red Handed, Lebron James is there. How does Lebron James find himself on the cover of a book about people selling out to China?
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting. Lebron James actually probably make some more money from his deals in China that he does in the United States, and he has some very lucrative deals with Chinese state media and other entities. And while people are familiar with sort of the kerfluffel in twenty nineteen when the Houston Rockets general manager, you know, stood up for the freedom protesters in Hong Kong and Lebron James told him he was uneducated, his appeasement of China actually goes back a lot longer than that, which is one of the things that was surprising. In two thousand and eight, there was a big petition drive in the NBA concerning Darfur, Sudan, where there were millions, sorry, hundreds of thousands of black Christians being massacred in Sudan. The government was backed by the government of China, and so the petition drive called for a condemnation of the Chinese government backing a government that was massacring hundreds of thousands of black Christians. The petition went around the NBA, A lot of people signed it. One of the people who did not sign it was Lebron James, and the reason was that he even then had clear signs and designs on expanding his business empire into China. And that's why to this day he will not criticize China and is an example to me of this kind of sellout mentality. So you have, in this case an athlete who talks about black lives matter, but apparently these two hundred thousand black lives in South Sudan did not matter because the people that were perpetuating the massacre were people that were also paying him money.
Speaker 1: I want to come back now. I'm going to allow myself to start asking some of the political questions that I held back as long as I could. But first I want to tell everybody at home, please, if you're watching this on YouTube, make sure you subscribe because we have a whole lot more YouTube interviews like this that will be coming up in the weeks and months ahead. Also are going to have some of my rants, some monologues will be appearing here on the channel going forward, So please click subscribe bottom of your screen. And also you see all the headlines these days about what's going on in the economy. We got a rolling bank cry sins it's not over yet. We've got high inflation, got a lot of the big hedge funds out there are preparing for a brutal summer in the markets, and that could mean massive recession. Who knows. Look at the commercial real estate sector. The dominoes could fall at any moment. So what do you want to do in the meantime sit around and wait? You can take action. You can prepare for the future with the purchase of gold. Look, I want our dollar to be the world's reserve currency forever, but you might want to take a look at what's going on with the dollar and with the debt these days and take action by having real solid precious metals gold and silver at home. The value instability of gold. That's both an investment and a hedge against inflation has been proven throughout history. Gold and silver can be a protection plant for your portfolio. Call the Oxford Gold Group. It's who I use, it's who I trust, It's who I've been getting my gold and silver from for years. Eight three three four to three zero buck. That's eight three three four three zero bucek. They make it easy. They've been at this for a long time. They can send it right to your home. It's secure, it's safe, it's DISCREETE called the Oxford Gold Group today. They're knowledgeable and trustworthy. Eight three three four sorr eight three three four three zero two eight two five. That's eight three three four to three zero buck b u c k or two eight two five. All right, Peter, so we know that the bidens we're going to build up to. That one got a lot of money from China. What's the Pelosi China connection? Yeah, this is very interesting.
Speaker 2: I mean Nancy Pelosi, when she came into Congress in the late eighties, was actually very anti CCP. She at one point in the nineteen nineties was part of this congressional delegation that showed up and tried to unfurl a banner on Taneman Square and the Chinese police kind of went answer after a congressman Pelosi and took it away, and it was sort of this big incident, and she had that reputation for a long time. That started to change in the two thousands, and it changed critically around on the two thousand and eight Olympics because her husband, Paul Pelosi, was the owner of a luxury limousine company and they were sought out and offered and given an exclusive, very nice contract to deliver VIPs in Beijing as part of the Olympics. And that was the beginning of the commercial ties that started to exist between the Pelosis and China. They took a big stake in several China investment funds. Nancy Pelosi's son made several trips seeking business deals in China and secured some there. So Pelosi has kind of reversed course. And while she does things like take these trips to China, sorry to Taiwan that was so high profile, her general posture towards China is exactly what Beijing wants. And this is really important. Buck what the Chinese are looking for from elites that they capture is not sort of a robotic the CCP is great, we love Mao. They describe it as big hell help with a little bad mouth. In other words, they want help on the big things that matter, which is trade policy, military policy, not calling them out for COVID, those sorts of things. If you ding them on human rights, if you say Taiwan's a great place, they'll live with that. So Nancy Pelosi is absolutely a captured elite, and you see this dramatic change in her posture that begins to happen when her family starts securing commercial deals in China.
Speaker 1: Can you also give us a sense for these elites on the political side or on the corporate side of the downside, if you will financially of crossing China, How on it are they right? I mean, are there examples that you came across with this where someone either broke from the line that Beijing wants or refused to play the game that Beijing was trying to dictate to them and they got hit.
Speaker 2: Well, the most dramatic examples would be in Hollywood, guys like Richard Gear and Brad Pitt, who did movies that were favorable towards the Dali Lama or Tibet and they cannot get any of their films distributed in China, which is a huge limitation in the political world. In the corporate world, it generally doesn't happen. If you look at Mitch McConnell, for example, his wife Elaine Chow, they have a shipping business that really beginning in nineteen ninety three. The Chinese government said to the Chow family, Hey, tell you what. We will build the ships for your shipping business. We'll finance the construction with state owned banks, we'll provide all the crews, we'll give you all the contracts to ship those goods around the world. The Chow family said, yes, absolutely, we're on board, and the business grew exponentially. A problem is now that it's generally acknowledged that if Mitch mcconough were to lay down the gauntlet on China on these issues again big help with a little bad mouth, they'll tolerate some criticism. But if he were to lay down the gauntlet, the Chinese could destroy the family shipping business overnight. That has a massive detern effect, and I think that's the reason we don't see too many people defect once they've been captured by the Chinese.
Speaker 1: Did you think it's fair to say at this point, I mean, do you feel like we can't trust the Senate majority leader on issues related to China because of this? I mean, is he compromised?
Speaker 2: I think he is. Yeah. I mean, look, the family shipping business is now enormously successful. They're highly dependent on the Chinese. His father in law gave him a gift of I think twenty five million dollars sort of a friendship gift to his son in law that directly came from the shipping business. And you look at the other members of the Chow family. His in laws. Angela Chaw, who's Lane Cho's sister, sits on the board of directors of the Bank of China, which is the state owned bank. You look at some of the other businesses that the Chinese State Shipbuilding Corporation has started. That's the biggest military contractor in China. When they launched those businesses, they put Mitch McConnell's father in law and sistern law on the board of those entities. So yeah, I think it's very very hard for him to extricate himself. Again, he will be critical of the Chinese, but when push comes to shove on these issues, he will not push and support legislation that will sort of lay down the gauntlet, whether it's on COVID or national security issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get this sense that you hear a lot of talk about standing up to China, and you hear from Republicans and Democrats now and then I always wonder how right like what this is, and I feel like this is now the expectation. It's, oh, you know, we're gonna sure, we're gonna do so much much China. But the Chinese know, as long as everything stays as it really is, nothing really changes for them. We're going to get into Biden here in just a second. But first off, you know, this week I did something really special. So the first for me, I got to interview this amazing market analyst with a tremendous record of incredible predictions, including going on TV and calling the nineteen eighty seven stock market crash for it happened. That guy was my dad, Mason Sexton, and he launched a new product this week, the first time in thirty years that he's come forward. He's been advising hedge funds behind the scenes for years now, but he decided, given where the market's heading now, he wanted to tell people what he thinks is going to happen, and how you can get ready for it, and how you can actually make money. You can defend your capital and make money if you know how to make the right moves. He's worried about what's happening, and he says, it's just weeks away before you're going to see some massive moves in the market that he's predicting. You want to see what the predictions are. You want to see how he wants to guide you through this turbulent time in the markets. Go to Disruption twenty twenty three dot com. See how my dad, Mason Sexton is going to be predicting the markets Disruption twenty twenty three dot com. That's Disruption twenty twenty three dot com. All right, Peter, the Biden crime family and China, tell me what I need to know?
Speaker 2: Well, I think what you need to know first off is that, in contrast to the McConnell's or even others like you know, the the Trump family who has had commercial ties in China, the Bidens don't actually have an underlying business. You know, the Kushners have real estate that you know, Avanka Trump had her shoes made in China, but she actually had a shoe line. Mitch mcconnald's company actually has a shipping company. The Bidens don't have a business. That's the first thing that you have to understand. The second thing is the flow of money from China began when Joe Biden became Vice President of the United States and shortly after Barack Obama anointed him publicly is the point person on policy towards China. That's when this bigot began to open. And if you look at the emails, the laptop emails, you find that some thirty one million dollars has flowed to the Biden family based on the wire transfers and the communication and the emails. But I think the most troubling part of this buck and I think you know, with your background you'll appreciate this perhaps more than anyone, is you can identify the four people I'd name them in the book, the four people that made it rain for the Bidens in China. Each one of those four has ties to the highest levels of Chinese intelligence. So for example, Chai Feng, he got that BHR private equity deal. It's worth about twenty million dollars to Hunter Biden at the same time that Chae Feng secured that deal for Hunter Biden, he was business partners with the Vice Minister of State Security in China, the vice of State Security responsible for the recruitment of foreign nationals to spy for China. If you look at Henry Jao, who transferred six million dollars to Hunter Biden at the same time he made that happen, he was business partners with the family of the former head of the Ministry of State Security. All four of the people that sent money to the Bidens, again with no underlying business, no service or product in return for that money. Each one of those individuals was tied to Chinese intelligence. That in my mind is not a coincidence, and I think we have to stop looking at the Biden situation not as just corruption. This is a foreign intelligence operation. This is a Chinese effort to capture America's first family, and I believe they have successfully done so.
Speaker 1: How much money went from anything connected to a Chinese national, okay, any bank and he to Hunter Biden directly, Like, do we have an aggregate total?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, so we know that there was six million sent to him by chairman Yee. That's the CEFC Energy company. Before he ended up CEFC, he was the head of a Chinese military intelligence operation that was exactly so he sent six million dollars to Hunter Biden. We know that Henry Jauss sent five million dollars. He's the guy that was the partners with the former Minister of State Security. And then we have this BHR private equity deal. We don't know the valuation of it, but the University of Chicago Business School did an estimate and said that his stake, which he was given by the Chinese government was about worth about twenty million dollars. So there's thirty one million dollars right there. That doesn't include other deals that we know of, but we don't know the dollar amounts. And I think that thing we have to remember with this Congressional committee, the Oversight Committee, is they've gone through four of twelve banks that the bidens used for the transference of this money. So they have the total at eleven million right now. That number is going to continue to go up, and I think it's going to probably ultimately surpass thirty one million dollars.
Speaker 1: What is that money supposed to be for? You know, I often make jokes. This is true, by the way, Peter. You know, back in the day when when they actually would allow Republicans or conservatives to go on CNN and argue with people, I would point out to them about the Hillary Clinton Foundation, which I know you've done a lot of work in the Clinton Foundation, that at some point paying someone eight hundred thousand dollars for a speech is just a legalized bribe. The same way that you know, if I were if I were in public office and all of a sudden my wife was a painter and people were buying her paintings for a million dollars apiece out of nowhere, that's a brillact, right, I mean, this is this is very and Hunter Biden's actually doing that, which is what I.
Speaker 2: Think is so amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's selling these paintings for fifty thousand dollars apiece. What is the money that went from China to the Biden interest supposed to be for? Like, what's the cover story, if you will? And is it illegal? You know that's always it's gross, But is it illegal? Yeah, that's a great question. I'm not a lawyer on the legal part. I would just say if it's not illegal. It should be because I.
Speaker 2: Mean, do we really want do we really want to live in a country where the President of the United States, family, the Secretary of Defense, the Senate Majority leader, their family can go to China and just scoop up gobs of money and they could say, well, it's not illegal, everything's fine. Nothing to see here. I don't think anybody wants to live in that country. So the legal part I'll set aside. But you know, if you look at these emails and you look at the communications, this money is for quote unquote joint ventures that never appear. So Henry Jao transfers five million dollars to Hunter Biden in twenty fifteen to four a quote unquote joint venture. Does a joint venture ever emerge? No, it does not, And the money goes into Hunter Biden's personal pocket. It does not go into a business account. When the when the House Overside Committee released their recent report, Hunter Biden's reaction when they disclosed that, you know, millions of dollars had flowed to him from this energy company, he said that that money was a good faith seed money. I don't know what that means, and I don't know why good faith seed money going into a business ends up going into the pockets of family members rather than actually of the underlying business itself. So the subterfuge is joint ventures partnerships, but they never emerged, they don't exist, and there, as you said, just to cover for the transfer of money to the Biden family.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so effectively, if if I told somebody, you know, if my dad was the president, and I said, you know, I'm a I'm a world class chocolate chip cookie maker, and so my cookies are worth a million dollars each, you know, people are supposed to accept that that's they're paying for the cookies, right, joint venture Like, I've tried to raise money for things before, I've been in I've been in venture capital meetings. I've you know, if you just said, hey, give me twenty million bucks for a joint venture TBD, I mean, people would think you were out of your mind. I mean they would think that there was something truly wrong with you. But not if you're Hunter Biden. And I think it's remarkable that this is where we are and the pollution of both parties that's occurred is really stunning. Peter, I want to come back and ask you, what is the what is the cleanup process to this? If we were willing to do it as a country, what does that look like? But before we get there, you know, I recently heard from a listener to the radio show who's traveling on airplanes constantly, and he said, look, I made the ultimate business travel move. Left his laptop behind the airport security line. Now you leave it behind, and now what do you do? You freak out right because he doesn't find out to the lands of the next destination. Is he ever going to get back? The good news is he had I Drive. Our friends that I Drive had him backed up. This is the same company that Rush Limbaugh was talking about for years on his program. Iedrive provides an online, off site computer data backup service for just seven dollars a month, So no matter where you are, with or without your regular laptop, you can access your most recent computer backup and lose all your data. It's most helpful to our listener who found himself, you know, a thousand miles from his laptop, but his data was available to him and his data was secure and safe. With I Drive, you can back up all of your PC's, max servers and mobile devices into one account for one cost. It is PC Mag's winner eight years in a row for best cloud backup solution for everybody, consumers, businesses. Everybody. I Drive is the easiest, most secure backup cloud solution. Plants started just less than seven dollars a month, so it's really really cost effective. Get ninety percent off your first year when you use my name Buck in the sign up process, or just go to iedrive dot com. That's iedrive dot com. Okay, So how do we clean up the mess of China making so many of our elites red handed the title of Peter's excellent book by paying them off in various ways? What does that look like, Peter?
Speaker 2: I think it begins with public shame. I think shame still works. And I think you're starting to see already that Apple and some of the big tech companies realize that this sort of panda embrace that they've had is not popular. So Apple's starting to ship shift its subproduction of iPhones to India. That's going to take a while. I think in Washington, d C. It begins with disclosure. Think about it this way, Buck, Joe Biden has to disclose every two hundred dollars campaign contribution that he gets, he has to disclose every thousand dollars in ge stock or whatever he has in investments. But if his son goes off and secures private equity deals with the Chinese government with twenty million dollars where he has no expertise, doesn't do anything for the money, there's no disclosure requirement. So that's absurd. So we have to change the disclosure laws. I think if you have a if you are in government, elected or unelected at senior level, you have to disclose if your family members have commercial ties with China or other state back companies. That's the beginning of the process. But I think the Bidens will be a test case. And I think the fact that Joe Biden had to commit in twenty twenty to no more foreign deals, and I think so far he seems to have honored that is an indication that people know how unpopular this is. So this Congressional Oversight Committee investigation of the Bidens is key, and it's important it needs to be disclosed. When people say is going to end in a prosecution, I don't know if it is or not, but the American people need to know what the first family's commercial ties are to China and it needs to be pounded into them, and that I think is the beginning of the process, and I feel like it's starting to turn. I just saw a Harvard poll that came out. It showed sixty three percent of independence believe that the Biden's engaged in illegal influence pedaling during his vice presidency. That's among independence. Among Republicans is even higher. So it indicates that attitudes are starting to shift on this. He's in it.
Speaker 1: And also remarkable, I'm sure Peter that you haven't had for your research on this, particularly as it pertains the Bidens. But you point out, Mitch McConnell, Trump's a business interest, but it doesn't you know, I don't think that leveraging Ivanka's shoeline being made in China was going to change the trajectory of Trump foreign policy, to be fair. But I remember the Washington Post writing pieces about the emolument's clause. I'm sure you remember this too, right, like just the notion that there were foreigners going to the Trump hotel in DC to buy you know, the hanging bacon they used to have there with a little blow towards I won a few times and the cheeseburgers. That was a violation of the emolument's clause. Joe Biden's son is a bag man walking around the globe to the worst. You know, our biggest Ukraine. Oh, cand you talk about that first. We didn't get into that, did you. Well what's the Ukraine? I mean, we all know Barisma, but remind everybody would have it with Barisma and Hunter.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing with Hunter is it's a veritable United Nations of corrupt people. I mean it's China, it's Ukraine, the energy company Barisma, which you know was giving him a million dollars a year, something he didn't know about. Let's also remember that he was working for Elena Boderina. She sent three point five million dollars to him. She was the wife of the former mayor of Moscow, who was by the way, identified in Wiki leaks in a State Department cable as somebody involved with Russian organized crime. So, I mean, this is the thing people have to realize. With the Bidens, their quote unquote global business did not include companies in Tokyo, companies in Berlin or London. They went to Ukraine and China, which were the two countries that by the way, were Joe Biden's portfolio as vice president of the United States, and then they went to Romania and Russia. This is where they found their business partners. So it is a consistent example. And the notion that somehow, well, that's Hunter Biden's business, Joe Biden was not involved is also laughable because the target of the money was Joe Biden via his son. That's why these foreign entities were paying Hunter. And there's evidence in the laptop that, in fact, Hunter Biden was providing funds to his father as vice president, which is not legal. He was subsidizing his lifestyle. So Joe Biden himself was a beneficiary of this foreign money that was flowing to Hunter Biden. So you are quite right this notion of double standards. I believed at the beginning of the sort of Russia Gate collusion investigation it ought to be looked at because it was so shocking, and then we realized it was nothing behind it. But the fact that Democrats in the left have resisted investigating the bidens, to me is just appalling, and I think it is going to really damage the reputation of the mainstream media as this information continues to spill out.
Speaker 1: The book is red handed how American elites get rich helping China win. Peter Schwitzer always appreciate your work man. Thank you so much for being here with us. And if you happen to write another book, you need to come back on the program and tell us about it. What do you say?
Speaker 2: I would love it, Buck, Thanks, it was a great time. Thankks so much.