Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in. What's driving the great episode to eighty two? And we got to get right into it today demands because we're not going to be able to go as long as we typically do because I have had my Tuesday Coward hit time adjusted today. I've been doing this hit for eight years, same time, every Tuesday for eight years. One oh five Eastern. I get a text yesterday, Uh, there's a little scheduling conflict. Nick, can you come on at twelve forty? And I'm like, well, yeah, of course, do anything for Colin, that's no problem. But you know, out of curiosity who is the guest that is super that you're moving me for that? It was you need like it's not, oh you can only you know, can you come on at twelve forty because Nick Wright in the best, you know, twenty minutes of sports TV in America. You're herd hierarchy right into Nick and Colin together. We're not gonna, you know, screw up that almost decade long synergy. And the answer I got was Tom Brady, Like God, I knew it. I mean, he's uh, I mean listen, I mean to be now. I mean I have been with the company for eight and a half years, and Tommy for you know, I think two. But I suppose those seven Super Bowl rings carry quite a bit of weight. And so I'll be home with Colin today at twelve forty nine forty am Pacific while you're having your morning coffee, I suppose. So it's gonna be me and Colin, followed by hurt hierarchy, followed by Colin and Tom Brady. I'm gonna go ahead and say it might be the best forty five minutes in sports television history right there. I mean I don't, I mean I can't. I can't guarantee it, but that might be coming. So because of that, we got a motor through today's show, which means in the mist the cut department is the Monday night football game last night, I work. You're gonna have to what you tune into the TV show to hear my bon Nick's opinions? You know too long, didn't read version. I'm still not a believer. Oh my god, did you guys? Did you see the one play? Listen? The one play was a little lucky, pretty sweet. I give them credit for it, but that game was more about Jamis giving you the full Jameis Winston experience from start to finish and a crushing, absolutely crushing loss. If you had Cleveland plus six and a half, you had no business not covering that game. If you had Cleveland plus six and a half, they have the ball down to chance to go win it, certainly cover. Jamis picks six because the Browns forget to touch a guy down. But so now you're down nine. But even then, down nine, getting six and a half not a terrible spot to be in, because a field goal covers for you, a touchdown covers for you, and the other team's gonna be playing preven defense. They get all the way to the goal line with a minute left like this is great, Gonna take a couple of shots to the end and then if need be, just kick this chip shot field goal. Nope, Jamis pick immediately just I mean, just an unbelievable Jameis Winston experience.
Speaker 3: What demanse I saw what he was trying to do there, it was, it was was a good effort. No, it picked off.
Speaker 2: I mean it was the all time last night's game, the most yards by a quarterback in NFL history for his own team's passing yard and interception return yards. No, that's true, that's not a made up stet. Six hundred and sixty five yards came off, completed, Jameis Winston passes to his team and the other team six hundred and sixty five yards. Never seen an NFL game like it. And so all that's going on. Also, the other missed the cut. The college football rivalries I get you know, I'll give you a little mini takes on all these things. Whatever, Uh, don't lose whose home rivalry games? And you don't have to worry about a flag and he planted pretty easy, And part of coaching college of football needs to be for rivalry games, they're in your stadium. You let your players know. Guys, if you needed any extra motivation, know this. If we lose today, we're gonna have to watch them play in a flag in our in our mid at, you know, at our fifty yard line. So coaches need to have their teams, you know, prepared. And also, by the way I understand Ohio State Michigan got a little tough. Let's also stadium cops try to, you know, have our hand off the pepper spray a little bit longer if we could. Didn't love that piece of it. And last, but not least, a ziz All Shai ear So, I was so aziz All Shair. I don't think he's a bad person, but is a dirty player. It's just the way he plays. He punched a guy, he choked Tom Brady, he took out Caleb, he took out Tony Pollard. He just took out Trevor. He didn't give a veryry, heartfelt apology, which seems sincere. And I'm most like, okay, but you're not gonna stop like you know what I mean? You have a taste for blood and can't I get that. I don't get that but yeah, he choked Tom Brady, grabbed by the grabbing by the wind pipe. But I was nervous because I was like, oh, he's definitely getting suspended. And I was like, please, NFL either suspend him for one game or three games, not two games, because three games from now, the Texans play the Chiefs and I don't need Aziz al Shair having been sidelined for two weeks, you know what I mean, dying to get back on the field only to see Mahomes' ACL sitting out there. So the NFL announced today they did suspend him four three games, So he's not gonna be available for the Chiefs game, thank god. All Right, so there's the news. Let's get to the bigger topics of the day. Go ahead, all right.
Speaker 3: So everybody's saying that Josh Allen should be the front runter for MVP after two back to back statement wins. You say that there's a chance that the Bills, I mean that the voters might snub him this year. Why is that when this is his best case?
Speaker 2: Well, so it's what I think. Is this? I think right now, Saquan's the MVP of the league, and I have been as we will get into later a legitimate Bills supporter in the national media, when other folks believed in the Jets and Aaron Rodgers, some believed in the Dolphins, I believed correctly that if you have a superhero quarterback, if you give them a legitimate defensive line to generate a pass rush, an offensive line to protect him, that's the way you need to build out the team. Everything else is optional. If you have the those two things, your team's gonna be excellent. That's what the Bills did, and the team is excellent, and Josh has been great. He's been great, He's cut down on the turnovers, he still makes the big plays. I think that this is the best Bills team he's ever been on, and he is a very deserving MVP candidate. The reason that right now I feel strongly it should be Saquon is if Josh wins it this year over Saquon, then we are officially saying, again, if it were to end right now, there's another five weeks, but based you know, if the we're season ended today, we're officially saying running backs can't win it. And that would bum me out because Josh Allen's numbers are good, but not unreal. The two quarterbacks whose numbers are unreal are Burrow and Lamar. Burrow and Lamar has one of the highest passer ratings ever. He has twenty nine touchdowns three picks. Burrow leads the league in passing yards, is thirty touchdowns five picks. Both have They have a one thirteen to one oh seven rating Josh right now this moment is fourteenth in the league in passing yards, is sixth in the league in touchdowns, is tenth in the league in rating. Those are good numbers, but they're not the best numbers of his career. That would have been twenty twenty, and they're not the best numbers any quarterbacks had this year. Saquan, on the other hand, is on pace to break the single season rushing record. And so if Saquan doesn't win it this year and the quarterbacks that's just having a good but not historically great season does win it, then in three years, you know what people will say when a running back's having an unbelievable year and the MVP discussion comes up, Well, how are we gonna give it to him? When we didn't give it to Saquon when the team went fourteen and three and he ran for two thousand yards. So it's not about diminishing what Josh is doing. It's just that I think Saquon is having an all time season at his position. Now here's the other thing about the MVP debate, and this is where some of the folks most more often than not, in the analytics community get a little aggravating to me when somebody sent a tweet yesterday since it was like, if you want to, you know, disregard the v the valuable in MVP entirely, so be it. But if you actually think that a running back can add more value to a team than a star quarterback, then you're just a fool or you donors in football, guys, everyone understands that quarterbacks the most valuable position in football. Everybody gets it. And if because of that you truly believe they are the only people definitionally eligible for MVP, then so be it. But then actually put that in the award. Then just put in the award. This is a quarterback only award. I look at MVP as an amalgamation of value excellence team success sprinkled on top of it, because if team success wasn't a piece of it, Joe Burrow and Lamar would be the two leading contenders. Lamar's kind of out right now because his team has five losses, and that's not how we've done the MVP, you know, the last twenty years. Burrows definitively out because his team has eight losses, and so of course, like I understand that this year, let me find a good example of it that Kyler Murray has been more valuable to the Cardinals than Saquon's been to the Eagles, because without Kyler they are totally unequivocally cooked, and without Saquon the Eagles might still be okay, because it's you can so much more easily replace a running back than a quarterback. But I don't look at the award purely like that, and I don't want it to be a quarterback on the award. So I just I don't.
Speaker 3: Think i'm getting I'm getting some notes that it's kind of been like that in the past, like Derrick Henry had two thousand yards a few seasons or in a season he didn't get a single vote.
Speaker 2: So that is true, but let's also look at what the context when that happened. So when Derrick Henry had two thousand, had two thousand yards. I just want to pull the Titans that year were eleven and five, which was good, and the MVP voting that season, I'm pulling it up right now twenty So this was twenty twenty, so that would have been Rogers' third MVP and Rogers that season had forty eight touchdowns, five interceptions, and forty three hundred passing yards. So that year, for whatever it's worth, Mahomes had thirty eight touchdown six picks. Rogers had forty eight touchdowns, five picks. I think his team went thirteen and three, ain't, Yeah, they did, and he had the he had a one twenty two passer rating. So that that was a year when a quarterback had an unbelievable team success and a historically great statistical season. Rogers numbers that year were seventy one percent, forty eight touchdowns, five picks, one twenty one rating. That's not what we're talking about with Josh right now. Yeah, So like when Adrian Peterson ran for two thousand yards, he did win league MVP. Now when Chris Johnson did, he did not. But we are not just talking about two thousand yards. We're talking about whether or not he is going to break Eric Dickerson's all time record, and so all of that kind of plays into this to me at least, and again like Josh having a good year. But it would be to me the Aaron Rodgers comp versus Derrick Henry would be more apt if the Eagles were a good but not great team like the Titans, and if Lamar Lamar's team was ten and two and you were like, this quarterback was having this unbelievable historical season and it was, for record wise, the best team in his conference. So that would be that. Speaking of the Bills, though, Demonte, there's one other piece of this which is such a happy accident of this season. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, usually you know, Bills fans hate here or whatever, you're on the wrong side of things. But they posted a video on social media and it kind of painted you out to be the good guy. Seems like they might have lost the plot here a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So here's the unbelievable piece of this video. It's ninety seconds long. We can't play it because there's highlights in it, but it's just a cavalcade of people being wrong about the Bills. And then me and Shannon Sharp being right. And then, by the way, I don't know if we can put that graphic back up, but my AFC's predictions, I might go one through four exact Bills, Dolphins, Jets, Patriots, with everyone but the Bills missing the playoffs. That might end up being perfect across the board. The only real concern there is are the Patriots gonna catch the Jets, which is possible. They're both three win teams right now. Here was what I found remarkable about that video the Bills posted. They included in it me saying I've been the only person in the media right about the Bills the last four years, and now I'm going to continue being the only person right about the Bills. That was a wild choice, because the way I have been correct about the Bills previously is by essentially calling them choking fake contenders like that's and Bill's social media teams like, hey, gotta give him credit where it's due. He's call us exactly right. Uh, but this year is different. I couldn't believe that was in there. Uh, And so yeah, that was listen, it is part of there is a world that exists where somehow the chiefs don't make the Super Bowl, and the Super Bowl is the Eagles, who I have been a constant doubter of, and the Bills, who I was probably their most famous detractor. It's an Eagles Bill's Super Bowl, and you see me on TV taking I told you so, victory laps because, as you guys know, the Eagles are my new NFC team, and as you all know, I've believed in the Bills this year. So what are you gonna do about that? Speaking of the Eagles, let's move on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So the Eagles, who are your new NFC Super Bowl picks? They beat my Ravens on Sunday. What is the case for the Eagles over the Lions as the best team in the NFC right now?
Speaker 2: So multi layered, The first case would be I am legitimately worried about the Lions' injuries. Listen, every team can't sustain injuries the way the Chiefs have been able to. The Chiefs lose their top two wide receivers, their top running back all in the first couple weeks of the season. They lose their second best corner and their kicker later in the season, and they just keep chugging along and people just talk about what's wrong with the team that keeps winning. Usually if you have injuries, particularly cluster injuries, and the Lions injuries are really clustering on the defensive side of the ball, that can bite you. So that concerns me. Another thing that I have been the one person kind of doing the clarion call on this, but I really think more attention should be paid to it is from a seating perspective demonse. The Eagles' worst case scenario is the two seed. They have essentially already locked up that division, and obviously the NFC West and the NFC South are not going to have a champion that has a better record than the Eagles as the division leaders there have six or seven wins right now and the Eagles already of ten. And the Eagles have games left against the Panthers, Giants, one other awful oh and Cowboys. So the Eagle's worst case scenario is the two seed. The Lions are oddly in a different spot where the Lions have a team right on their heels in their own division in Minnesota, and because of that, the Lions are one hiccup away from falling to the five seed, and if that happens, they are outdoors potentially for the entire playoffs. They are in cold weather for most of the playoffs, and everything about their situation changes. The Lions have Green Bay in two days and then home for Buffalo, Like, is there a scenario where the Lions find themselves in twelve days in second place in their own division? Yeah, and then they have the Vikings in week eighteen, which could be the division deciding game. So that I think works. The Lions are more likely to be the one seed, but it's also on the board the Vikings catch them and they all of a sudden fall to the five seed. And the other piece of it is I just think the Eagles, and this is shocking to me, defense is great right now, and I don't trust the Lions defense as much. Even the Lions Stephens has been very good. I think overachieved this year. Aaron Glenn's an excellent job. So when AJ Brown's healthy, Jalen Hurts is playing more like he did two years ago, where he's not trying to really be the star and he's taking care of the football. Saquan's been unbelievable, Sirianni's staying out of the way. I just think the Eagles look like the best team and are really well positioned and sneaky alive for the one seed, will not seeky live, but obviously alive for the one seed. But their worst case in area was the two seed, which is not the case for the Lions. All right, let's go on to the Chiefs.
Speaker 3: All right, So the Chiefs keep pulling it off by any means, but you gotta admit after a close game to like Vegas got a close game with the Raiders, you have a close game with the Panthers two back to back weeks for those better teams than Panthers.
Speaker 2: Panthers hot right well with those teams.
Speaker 3: With them playing those teams that closely, don't you think it gives other good teams, like the Charges that they have coming up more hope that they can get them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, certainly they don't look invincible. But I saw folks trying to argue that this is the weakest or most vulnerable Chiefs team, and I just feel like everyone has such short memories. Do you guys know how many games the Chiefs won last year? Eleven all year in the regular season. If the Chiefs lost every single one of their remaining games, they would have the same record they had last year. Last year, the Chiefs lost five of eight games at one point, and they were some ugly losses. They lost to Denver twenty four to nine when Russell Wilson threw for one hundred and fourteen yards. They lost. They then lost to Philly right before Philly fell apart entirely. They lost to Green Bay. They lost the game to Buffalo when Mahomes flipped out about the offsides, and they lost that game to the Raiders on Christmas Day to fall to nine and six. And they absolutely and Mahomes' numbers last year were worse than his numbers this year. The offense was worse than it was this year. This chief team, on the other hand, despite the injuries that I talked about earlier, is eleven and one, despite the fact that Mahomes already went through a legitimate slump that he is clearly out of to start the year, is eleven and one. They have right now two significant weaknesses. What is the left tackle position. They have a new left tackle starting this week, Dj Humphreys, who was a Pro bowler in Arizona. The other is the pass defense has not been what it was, but they have Charles Amena who coming back. He just came back. Now they need to figure out the cornerback two spot, which hasn't been the same since Jalen Watson broke his ankle. But the Chiefs being discussed as if they have these major structural problems when they're like, oh, they're winning all these close games. They just broke the record for consecutive victories in one score games. That record was held by the three to four Patriots, which were the best two year stretch of the entire Patriot dynasty was three to four. The only back to back championships was three to four. So I just think everyone has it wrong on the Chiefs flatly. I think right now they probably should be nine and three, but they're not. And because they are not nine and three, and they are only going to be getting better because DJ Humphries is here, because Pacheco is now back, because Hollywood Brown comes back in a few weeks, because Mahomes is out of his slump, because Chris Jones is going to be Chris Jones come winning time in the playoffs. I cannot believe how many people, my buddy Adam Shine one of them, who were dead certain last year, the Chiefs would get got picked against the Chiefs in every playoff game they had, as I think Scott Van Pelt did, I think Shine did. As soon as the Super Bowl ended, they all swore fealty said, I will never make that mistake again. Now they're doing it again, as if the Chiefs were seven and five, they're eleven and one. And the other piece of it is where I said yesterday on TV that the Chiefs are making otherwise smart people dumb the mental gymnastics that folks are doing to turn Chiefs losses into win or wins into losses. Like, let's just go through it, because this is what you hear a week one against Baltimore, the likely toenail, Okay, give Isaiah likely that touchdown. Then what happens The Ravens either kick an extra point, which, by the way, these days not a guarantee, but let's give Tucker the benefit of the doubt, and they go to overtime. They still got to win that, oh, Nick, they would have gone for two, okay, So what they needed was a play the likely play to be in bounds in order to have a coin flip chance to beat the Chiefs the next one. People talk about that bangles defensive pass interference. Well, what is the argument there, because it was a It's not like that was Oh my god, that ball was incomplete and there was a foulow away from the ball that had none do with it, so perfectly thrown football that would have put the Chiefs in field goal range. The guy got interfered with, and then they made the field goal. Okay, so take that one out. People talk about the Atlanta game that there was a missed DPI on the Chiefs. So I went and looked that up. That happened with five and a half minutes left in that game and the Chiefs leading. So you're saying, give it Atlanta that call, and what they magically just win that game? Maybe that Tampa Bay, Oh Tampa they what they should have gone for two. Okay, if they go for two in that spot, what happens, Well, first of all, they have to get the two point conversion. And then if they do get the two point conversion, do you guys remember how much time was left when they scored, because I do. There was twenty seven seconds left. It would have been Chiefs multiple timeouts, twenty seven seconds left with at the time still at Harrison butker so okay, So Tampa could have won if they had gone for two gotten it in stop Mahomes from getting in field goal range. Okay, what's the next one? Oh, the next one is they blocked a field goal against uh against the Broncos, but they blocked it. And this one was the Raiders game, where again, let's just assume that they incorrectly call the illegal shift a false start and the Raiders keep the ball. Okay, great, The Raiders kicker, who had already missed three field goals, now is to make a fifty five yarder. So there's just a lot of the Chiefs should have lost and would have lost. But actually I need to pretend a million things happened that didn't. And that's been so much of the Chiefs discourse this year relies on this idea if only things that didn't happen did happen, like if only or if only things that did happen didn't happen. If they hadn't won the Super Bowl last year, but they did, if they hadn't won but they did. And I'm gonna add one last thing and we can move on. These morons that are like, oh man, this Chiefs team sure reminds me of And then they bring up ten and one or eleven and one teams from Christmas Pass that were frauds, and every single one of those teams that if you left the everything about the team the same and made Patrick Mahomes the quarterback or Andy Reid the coach, those teams would have been awesome. They're like, Oh, got a lot of shades of the Vikings a couple of years ago that were thirteen and four and went one and done. If you replaced Kirk Cousins with Mahomes, that Vikings team would have been awesome. Reminds me a lot of the twenty twenty Steelers. If you replaced fossilizing Ben Roethlisberger with Mahomes, that team would have won the Super Bowl. Oh, reminds me a lot of the Eagles last year who fell apart entirely. If you replaced forget even Mahomes there Nick Sirianni with Andy Reid and left everything the same, that Eagles team would have been fine. So again, yes, I agree with you. If the Chiefs didn't have read in Mahomes, I wouldn't be as confident. But if they didn't have reading Mahomes, they wouldn't be the Chiefs. So I just so much of this discourse is just idiotic, and it's people who made this exactness state last year, swore they weren't going to do it again, and now they're doing it. Despite the fact that the Chiefs have played five playoff teams, beaten four of them the one they lost to Buffalo, everyone thinks of the best team in football, and even the Buffalo game. I can play this game the other way. Oh my goodness. If the Chiefs get one stop on fourth and two against Josh Allen, they win that game and they're undefeated. They're doing all of it, even though they've dealt with the worst of the injuries. They have the best record in the league. Mahomes is playing great. So people are just dumb too long didn't listen for the third consecutive year. No, yep, maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: I think that's folks saying like they are getting lucky some of these times.
Speaker 2: I think that's okay, So who isn't? So who is it? Did the Lions get lucky that the Bears? Did the Lions get lucky that the Bears had such a catastrophic end of game? Meltdown that they fired a coaching season for the first time in one hundred years. Was that lucky? I'm just curious, Okay, the no, no, no, Let's keep playing the game. Did the Did the Lions get lucky that they won a game this year? When was it? Was it a sixty one? No? The Bills? Pardon me? Did the Bills get lucky when they're notoriously unreliable kicker made a sixty one yard field goal at the gun to beat Miami? Sure? Did the I mean we can go up? And did the Lions get lucky that they won a game when Golf threw five interceptions? Did the Eagles get lucky that they played so poorly against the Browns that their fans were booing serials so much that he's yelled at his own fans and they won that game? Anyway? Like it's the NFL, almost all the games come down to a few plays. Yeah, of course, there's some luck involved in a lot of things. But I just it's just gonna be another year where everyone's wrong and I'm right, So I'm fine with it. But I just would have thought folks were to learn their lesson. Let's go to the Niners. Oh another one. Oh, here's another one. So, speaking of.
Speaker 3: Forty nine Ers, season is just getting worse and worse. They've been dealing with injuries and Christom McCaffrey just went down on that game on Sunday. You know, they could keep bottoming it out and losing and drafting a quarterback. The question here is do you think that the forty nine Ers championship window is closed or did it just reopen? What's their situation?
Speaker 2: Well, so, no, I don't listen. The idea that the Niners could be in have such a bad that they consider drafting a quarterback is not something anyone's talking about. But it is an interesting thought exercise depending on where they fall in the draft order. And oh, they would never do that to Purty. Perty's taking them to an NFC championship game in a Super Bowl. So did Jimmy g And they gave up three first round picks to go get his replacement. Now, that didn't work out. But if they all of a sudden just had a quarterback fall into their lap in an offseason, when Perty's you know, gonna be wanting sixty million a year. Huh. But here's the thing that I want to say about the Niners. Demant say, you don't hear so much anymore? Nick, you disrespect Brock? Do you you don't hear so much anymore? What more do you want Brock to do? You don't hear so much anymore? Nick, you're unfair judge him because he was a seven round pick. Why won't you give him credit? Amazing? Uh amazing, How the moment Brock Purdy goes from having the most stacked supporting cast in the league to having a league average supporting cast. He looks like a league average quarterback. I'm not here to say I told you so, except for the case I effing told you so so many times, and so many people were so adamant that I was unfair that I wouldn't give the guy credit, when my argument was, I think he's the sixth best player on his offense. Trent Williams AYUK, McCaffrey, Kittle debo. Then Brock, that's how I stack the offense, probably Trent Williams, CMC, AYUK Kittle tebo. But all of a sudden he has a year where CMC is not there, Trent Williams in and out of the lineup as of late, and shout out Trent Williams, who's dealing with an unspeakable tragedy. Just awful. Ayuk gets hurt. Diebo's not quite the same, Kittle's still there, looks a little older, Well, he is a little older, doesn't look quite as dominant and listens I like, party's terrible. It's like he is a mirror. How good is my team around me? That's how good I'm going to be. And there is now a very real question about whether or not you want to pay that guy. I think it would be insane to pay him after this year. I would play him for another year on a million dollar contract and see what he looks like before I commit myself to whether it's fifty million or sixty million. If it's a mistake at fifty, I'm sorry. If it's a mistake at sixty, it's a mistake at fifty. The distinction is not, oh, is he gonna want Jordan love money or Dak Prescott money. That actually is I don't want to say it's irrelevant, but it's not that relevant. It's not it does he you know, does he get top top of the market or does close the top of the market. Because if you feel good about him at fifty five, you feel fine at sixty. The question is do you want him to be your quarterback at you know, top eight salary over the next few years. I wouldn't do it, And depending on how I think about quarterbacks in this draft class, would I consider drafting one and seeing quietly, hey, is there a team out there that loves brock Party that wants to give me multiple premium draft picks for him? Yeah, of course I'd have that conversation. But listen, just like I was always very and he's better than Jimmy Garoppolo. But just like I was always very confident that my Jimmy Garoppolo take history would say, oh he was right and all the quarterback whens sick of fans were wrong. I feel the exact same way about my brock Party take like he's gonna have a long career and keep playing and people are gonna be like, you, guys, remember when people were debating is he a top five quarterback? You remember when four days ago David Lombardi, who covers the Niners, used to beak for the athletic. Now he's uh independent, I think said that brock Party has accomplished more than Josh Allen in the NFL. Is a more efficient quarterback than Josh Allen. That was a conversation four days ago. So I don't think Nier's championship windows closed because I think Lynch and Shane are great, and I think Shannan's brilliant. And if Shannan can get to multiple super Bowls with Jimmy g and Brock Party, imagine if he ever has an actual awesome quarterback. But the Brock Party debate is winding down because the unpopular opinion seems to be the correct one. Quick break right back, What's right? Welcome back in What's Right? With Nick Wright. Sorry, I'm firing off an angry tweet to Colin Cowherd because he just promoted the Tom Brady appearance quote tweet. So this is why I got coming Eastern today. So much for loyalty at Colin cowhard S. M h. There we go post and send, done and done, all right, demons, before we get to our game, Nick Wright, private investigator, Uh, let's talk a little Kirk Cousins just a moment, Go ahead, all.
Speaker 3: Right, man. So Kirk Cousins is out there showing his age. He threw four picks. Against the Chargers in that crazy defense. So they obviously owe him a lot of money. But they also have Michael Pinnox over there. The Bucks are now breathing down their neck. If you were in charge in Atlanta, how would you handle the quarterback situation?
Speaker 2: All right? So listen, I let me see if this is correct. So, oh my goodness, gracious, I thought that might be a lie. So I knew it. So I have to clarify something from the show yesterday. So I was listening to Bill Simmons podcast and he said that next Gen Stats said that Cousins didn't throw a single pass faster than thirty six miles per hour on Sunday, and I on the TV show. I kept attributing it to Simmons because I'm like, I don't even think that's like a thing. Next Gen stance tracks it did kind of pass the eye test, so I've now found the genesis of it. And Hayden Winks on Twitter wrote, Kirk Cousins the game first quarterback, the next Gen stats here and not throw pass over thirty six miles per hour in a game minimum twenty attempts. He then tweeted, this is a completely made up stat for what it's worth. I thought that might be fake news, but like, yeah, so now it did seem like that possibly could have been true. Uh and Kirk Cousins does look cooked like he does. He does look cooked. Here is what I will say. I am hesitant to give the Falcons too much credit because people are like, oh, savvy Falcons, this is why they drafted Pennix, as if the exact people who drafted Pinnix weren't also the people who gave Kirk a hundred million guaranteed. So it I mean, there is a bit of a an element of oh, my goodness, look at how smart you were. Nick. You didn't sell your old car when you just went him out and bought one hundred thousand dollars sports car because you knew that sports car was a lemon I was gonna break down and you were gonna need the other one. It's like, well, I mean, kind of smart, but also maybe a bad purchase. I would not bench Kirk yet, but the leash is very very short. And I thought if people didn't watch that Chargers Falcons game, the Chargers didn't exactly cover themselves in glory in that game, but Kirk played impossibly bad football and now the foulcons after starting six to three, they have lost to New Orleans horrible loss. They have lost to Denver thirty eight to six in a game I picked him to win, and they lost to the Chargers seventeen to thirteen in a game Herbert threw for one hundred and forty seven yards. Also, Justin Herbert's numbers this year are hard to believe. Thirteen touchdowns through twelve games, not great, one interception. So the thirteen touchdowns, one pick for Justin Herbert for a team that just wants to take care of the football and play good defense. And their defense has been great aside from that Baltimore game. So but to answer your question, I would I would give Kirk at least another week, especially he is playing the Vikings now. That Brian Flora's defense. Oh boy, I wouldn't want to throw Pinnis into that Brian Flores defense. I also wouldn't necessarily want to see totally immobile Kirk Cousins hobbling around against the Flores defense. But I would give him another week see if he can pull himself out of it, because if he can, you then have Raiders Giants Commander's panthers. You have three awful defenses to you over your last month, and you probably do still trust Kirk more than Pinnis. So I wouldn't go to Pinnicks yet, but for next year, the Kirk Cousins thing could be ending faster than most of us anticipated. All right, let's play Nick right, private eye.
Speaker 3: All right, after many sleepless, sleepless nights down at the stations, me and my boys, Yeah, we couldn't figure out and crack these cases. So he decided to call out private investigator, mister Nick Wright. Welcome back two generations. Yeah, you went all in on two generational number one picks, or at least that's how they were build. An investigation is needed, Detective right, Is Caleb just just as Caleb just Lawrence in disguise?
Speaker 2: Okay, well listen. First of all, I don't like Trevor Lawrence being used as the kind of the control group for underwhelming number one picks, But to be fair, that's what he has been up to this point. I really like how Caleb has played the last few weeks. I thought he was good on Thanksgiving. Now obviously he was an accomplice in the butchering of the very end of the game. But he's a rookie quarterback and that's what coaches are for. He won't make that mistake again. But I thought Caleb after an awful first half, rallying the way he did through for two point fifty three touchdowns ninety eight rating. Like, Caleb has had seven uh no, six, pardon me, really good games this year. Now he's also had five awful games. But he's not turning the ball over. He's starting to run a little bit more. You're starting to see more of the big time talent that you saw at USC. So if they get the coach higher, right, I'm optimistic about Caleb. So no, I am far more worried about Trevor than I am about Caleb.
Speaker 3: Next, Justin Tucker went from being arguably the goat of kickers to completely broken. My god, he's missed ten total kicks this year and has cost the Ravens games. Detective right, what cost Tucker's fall off?
Speaker 2: Listen, he stopped being money from fifty plus a year and a half ago. So that happened last season. Now, I know people want me to say that Travis Kelsey broke him when he tossed his helmet and kicking tea when he was warming up, you know, the chief side of the field, and I think that played a small part. A lot of people are saying it's age. The thing is this Demanse kickers typically age quite well. The oh I see Kelsey, Yeah, I see the If people are watching on YouTube, there's a whole little detective board. He's only thirty five, so kickers are usually good. You know, Vinetari was kicking into his forties. I think it's in his head right now. Now. I will also say this, everyone's like, oh that the Ravens should cut you know, cut him. Guys there are not good kickers on the unemployment line. Like Tucker is not good right now, he is still likely better than a guy who's there's only like twenty good kickers in the world. There's thirty two teams, so the guys who aren't even on a team are typically super shaky. So I wouldn't move on from Tucker. But I will tell you this, A guy who now sneaky has a chance to take Tucker's goat spot is Bucker because what Justin Tucker doesn't have is these all time playoff moments. He just like he doesn't have a ton of you know, like, oh, or really, I mean he has high levery, but he I mean he they won a Super Bowl when he was a rookie. But you don't think of like Justin Tucker playoff game winning kicks the way you feel about Bucker, like in the thirteen seconds game in the AFC Championship game against the Bengals, in the Super Bowl, the against San Francisco, not San Francisco, pardon me, against Philadelphia, and so many superols they run together, and so that there is just like Buckker now, thanks to Tucker's misses, is the most accurate kicker in NFL history. He has the record for the most accurate kicker in NFL history is Bucker even while he's injured, because Tucker's missed right now, like Vina Terry obviously has I think the mantle for goat kicker. But I wonder what Buckker if Butckker can catch him, and how much this impacts Tucker. And so I do think that it is a intriguing spot we find ourselves in with Justin Tucker, and the fact that the Ravens are openly talking about if they have to replace him is not a good sign for them all right? Next?
Speaker 3: All right? Uh, the Steelers have revived Russell Wilson and are the surprising leaders of the AFC North Detective Right, what evidence is there that Pittsburgh can win their first playoff game since twenty sixteen?
Speaker 2: Oh, I think there's a lot of evidence of it. So even if they fall so oddly to win their first playoff game, they might be in a better position if they don't win the division. That's probably not true, but it wouldn't be as bad as you think, because if they don't win the division, if the Ravens catch them, then Pittsburgh's first playoff game would be going to Houston. And I just think Houston's a wounded team right now who would not be able to block Pittsburgh, and the Pittsburgh defensive front would beat them. If Baltimore doesn't catch them, then their first playoff game is either going to be against Baltimore, the Chargers, or the Broncos. I think they would be legit favorites against the Broncos, coin flip against the Chargers, and slight favorites against the Ravens, And so yeah, I do think they break the streak. I do think this is the year they finally won a playoff game. All right, next, all right?
Speaker 3: Uh, The Patriots had a questionable decision at the end of their game versus the Colts. The only seconds remaining, they opted to kick a sixty eight yard er over a Heil Mary. You guessed it. The ball fell short, Detective right, Why did they kick it?
Speaker 2: I because jid Mail is not a good coach. I just don't know what to tell you, like the maybe he will be one day. Up to this point, he hasn't been go ahead.
Speaker 3: No enerject. This is the small investigator, many investigator. The chances of you completing a hell Mary or what like? I get it, Like the the kick looked pretty good. I will say that he got the kick was the obviously didn't get there.
Speaker 2: The kick was the kick was zero percent, Like that's he hit it perfectly as hard as he could hit it. Everything went right on the kick and it was short. You know why, because you can't make a six eight yard field goal outdoors in the cold unless you're maybe Brandon Aubrey certainly not the kick or the Patriots have the kick was at zero percent, so I thought it was dumb, like hail Mary is at close to zero percent, but it's not zero percent. We've seen one. I guess my point would be this, we have literally seen a hail Mary work this season, this season and countless in our lives. We've never ever, ever, ever, ever seen what he tried work. We've never seen a sixty eight yard or work in all of football history. We've seen a hail Mary work a month ago. So I just thought it was dumb, that's all. Like, I just it's not the move I would have made. All right, Next, Uh no, that's it.
Speaker 3: We'll go going into the season.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's it. Sorry, my computer died, so I didn't know where we were in the rundown. All right, quick break, answered some listener questions. Next, what's right? All right? Welcome back in What's right with Nick? Right? All right, demons, let's get through these listener questions quick.
Speaker 3: Tyler Fisher, Nick, I know it's not basketball discussion season, but can you talk for a minute about how Lebron's ten point streak is likely coming to an end very soon? In three games this year, he's gone to quarter four under ten points.
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen, I would be surprised if it survives the season, and Lebron wanting to play all eighty two games makes it less likely it survives the season. Listen, it's lasted for years, longer than any other player in league history. This is one of the many records that when Michael Jordan held it, people cared about it, and when once Michael Jordan didn't hold it, everyone acts like it doesn't matter. It's a fake record. But the fact that Lebron's gone what is it now, fifteen years, sixteen years and not had scored in single digits once, not got thrown out out, not got injured, not had just one horrific night is a remarkable achievement. But yeah, it probably ends this year. I'm okay with it. I've made my peace with that. I used to sweat it the no. I love that. I love that he's not doing load management. It's like a final gift to the NBA. Is like showing then on his way out.
Speaker 3: It's like, hey, you guys need to be playing.
Speaker 2: I get it, Yes, I you know, like the Lake. If I thought the Lakers were actually a championship contender, then I would want him to make sure he's at peak performance for the playoffs. They're not, though, so it's like one last gift to the NBA.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, Isaac merbrathu Hey Nick? Last year? Yeah, MOBRATU Sorry? Just last year McCaffrey had an incredible stats on a great team. They gave the award to Lamar without eye popping stats. Can we argue that they did the same thing that they're going to do to Barkley last year or last year this year?
Speaker 2: Well, listen, here's the distinction. CMC had great stats. He also, though kind of split his portion of the vote with his quarterback with Perty because party had great stats too. CMC didn't have like the record breaking numbers that looks like Saquan's gonna have. And Jalen's not an MVP candidate, So I don't think it's gonna be. It might be the same thing, but it wouldn't. It's not the exact same circumstance.
Speaker 3: All right, Next, uh Ronnie, who do you think is the best coach? The best coach to coach the Prince? Next?
Speaker 2: Uh Man? Everyone wants Ben Johnson. I don't know who's gonna get him. I would, I would, truly in Jacksonville. Not I would love Mike Vrabel like I don't think he has to be an offensive coach. I would love just a no nonsense guy. It's gonna clean up a lot of the issues with the franchise. I think Brabel would do that and could have a long runway there.
Speaker 3: All right, next, Isaiah, give how many extra games the Chiefs and the Niners play in the playoffs the past years? Why are only the Niners getting significant injuries that make them worse?
Speaker 2: Well, the Chiefs can just sustain them better. The Chiefs lost their number one, number two receiver for the year. Then their Hollywood's gonna come back, but they haven't had him all year. They lost for shoot Rice in Week three. They lost Isaiah Pacheco. Shortly thereafter, they lost their number two corner. Their kicker's been out. They the Chiefs are just sustaining it better. It's not that now the Niners have had a spate of injuries, but they're also a much older team. When you have an older team, that happens as well.
Speaker 3: All right, last one, Batman, why are you talking? Why are you taking victory laps on party? You were consistently wrong about how far the Niners would go last year. No one said that he can crush with replacement level guys.
Speaker 2: They're not replacement level guys. And by the way, people absolutely did say that if you say he's one of the best quarterbacks in the league, then you need to hold them to the standard that we hold the best quarterbacks in the league. That's first of all. Second of all, he doesn't have replacement level guys. He has league average guys. If all, you go from six All Pros on your offense, five All pros on your offense, to just a good offensive line with the best left tackle in football there most of the year, a top three tight end Deebo Samuel, Juwan Jennings, Jordan Mason at running back, Kyle Shannan calling your plays. Now, all of a sudden, you are just in a median circumstance. You're not in a He's not out there playing for the Patriots. The Patriots have replacement level guys out there right now, right The Panthers have replacement level guys out there right now. The try to find another team that's just reft of offensive talent. The the who Juice I didn't know, Daniel said, but the the Titans, that's the Titans probably have you know, above replacement level, but not not great. Like there are teams out there with replacement level. The Niners ain't one of them. They have league average. But if you if you're born in a thirty bedroom mansion and all of a sudden you live in a six bedroom, four thousand square foot house, you might feel like, oh, I'm poor. Like no, you just don't have the best situation in the world. So why am I taking a brock Pardy victory lap? Because it's well damned deserved. See you guys on Collins Show in like a half hour. I gotta hurry see guys later. What's right? Hey, thanks for watching. If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget. We're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand, Get Demondday. Another plaque, so like subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,