Speaker 1: Hey guys, Saga and Crystal here.
Speaker 2: Independent media has played a truly massive role in this election, and we are so excited about what that means for the future of this show.
Speaker 1: This is the only place where you can find honest perspectives from the left and the right that simply does not exist anywhere else.
Speaker 2: So if that is something that's important to you, please go to Breakingpoints dot com. Become a member today and you'll get access to our full shows, unedited, ad free, and all put together for you every morning in your inbox.
Speaker 1: We need your help to build the future of independent news media and we hope to see you at Breakingpoints dot com.
Speaker 2: So the mass spread of flock cameras across the country has increasingly become an issue of deep concern to Americans. There's one organization that has sprung up called Deflock, which you can go to their website and you can see a map of where all the flock cameras are located. They're doing sort of standard First Amendment advocacy against the spread of this surveillance technology. Flo CEO was asked about this group and he labeled them as a terrorist organization.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen.
Speaker 3: You've got organizations like the ACLU and the FF who take an above a board approach to fight for their point of view. And thankfully we live in a beautifully democratic, capitalistic country where we can fight in court, and I have a lot of respect for those groups because they have reasonable debates and we follow the law. And then unfortunately there's terroristic organizations like dflock whose primary motivation is chaos. They are closer to Antifa than they are anything else, and now I think is unfortunate because we don't want chaos, or I don't want chaos. I like law and order, like a society that has a better rock of safety. So for those groups, I think it's just disappointing that they haven't chosen a more constructive minnerism to try to get what they want, which they have a right to have. But that's why we have a democratically elected process, right Like we're not forcing flock on anyone. Elected officials know that as a community, you want to be safe.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is complete insanity, Sager, but it also fits into the rhetorical and legal framework that the Trump admin has set up. It's not an accident that he named tex Antifa here because they've used NSBM seven and other tools to try to go after these left wing groups that they label as terrorists, and so he adopts that language to try to you know, put deflock in the same category as these other groups that have been identified by the Trump administration as terrorists. But literally, you can go to their website, the tagline says welcome to deflock and open source Project Mapping license plate readers, Like, that's just a basic service and advocacy group that is, you know, being provided to the public so that they can push back on what's happening in their communities where they've had very little.
Speaker 1: Say yeah, I think this is absolutely insane, and it's pretty obvious that this CEO first of all, dflock is a nonprofit organization, So if you're going to say that it's you know, terroristic or whatever, frankly, they should be able to sue if they want to, because you know, you can't just say sorry. So genuinely, I mean, like that's an actual term which has meaning. It's a nonprofit organization, which is open source, which allows people just to flag where flock cameras actually are. By that definition, weighs as a terrorist organization because it lets you flag where police officers are whenever they're trying to speed trap you. So let's start with that the second thing. And you know I said this, I got such an angry message from a right wing friend of mine where I said, I genuinely would trust a place like China or Singapore to surveil me and to a master avail me, then I would Flock. And I'm about to show you why is because it is a for profit company with very sketchy ability to actually hold to account and is, by the way, not wholly bought in by our democratic system, also with a profit motive. Okay, so you put those three things together, and oh lo and behold, you have the problems that befall all American institutions. Let's go and put this next one up here on a screen. In one California town, Flock misread license plates in seventy one percent of the alerts that it sent to police. Summer of twenty twenty four, a police called a man to discuss a persistent problem with his license plate. The city's AI powered license plate reader, made up by Flock, had repeatedly misread the plate six times. They had sent alerts to the Roseville Police Department, identifying the vehicle as stolen or used in a felony crime. Police could see that the flock software kept confusing nine four an eight. The car owner said he would take off his license plate cover, and soon after it happened again. So this guy is getting harassed by the police because the AI license plate reader is not you know, is not reading his plate correctly. Now again, if you're going to pay this company all this money, you're going to mount all these cameras in public and make it so that we're basically eroding all public privacy, you would at the very least say could it work? And yet in this case it's not working. Oh. Second one is that we also know about institutional misuse and abuse. This also happened many times with the NSA with their warrant list spuying program. Let's put this one up here on the screen. How raw rogue officers turned a nationwide camera network into a tool for stalking. So, for example, they interview a woman Marcy Bakley. She couldn't understand how her ex boyfriend always seemed to know where she was when she went to buy groceries. He would text her about it. Sometimes within minutes, despite he was working fifteen miles from her home as police chief in a small town in Atlanta. One day in twenty twenty four, when he incorrectly suspected that she'd gone to see a man against his witches, he messaged her, I didn't think he would slip up. She began to feel like she was constantly being watched. She installed cameras around her home and on her patio to see if he was stalking her. She bought hidden camera detective a detector. Three times, in desperation, she drove her car to a mechanic shop. Then one day she pressed him for answers, and he said he was using his flock access as a police officer quote like thousands of other law enforcement agencies, his police cars can his police force can follow cars spotted by flocks sprawling network of AI roadside cameras which record passing license plate into a mappable database that officers can then search while investigating a crime. However, they then note that it's obviously rife and abuse. Now, to be clear, he was arrested on charges of stocking harassment and license plate misreader abuse, but as you can see very clearly is that there are no actual checks within the system from stopping these small town sheriffs or any of these other places with very little accountability to be able to use it for whatever ends that they want. And I'm not, you know, against the police or any of that, but I do think it's very very clear that if we're going to have a system like this and then spread it very oddly with no real like federal government oversight, keep it to you know, contracts with localities and with states, that is clearly to the advantage of flock the flock the company, which is way less accountable, as I said, to some nationally organized system with at the very least you could have some ability to have democratic checks on this ability. And it also just gets to the point of these cameras went up. We have no say about it at all. Yeah, we're all out there here, Okay, they're here. Better deal with it.
Speaker 2: And think about how terrifying this was for this woman. Oh my god, he had looked up her tags and those of her teenage daughter more than six hundred times. More than six hundred times. By the way, you can go to have I been flocked, and they do a search that aggregates police search logs to see if your license plate has been searched. So at least that public tool is available to you. And I think it's no accident that the CEO of Flock finds this sort of you know, open access in for me to be such a threat to their business model, because you do start to see the public. The more they become aware of this, the more horrified they are by it, and the more sort of organic push back there is to it. But lest you think that this was a one off case with this, you know one bad apple who was using the technology, misusing the technology to stalk his ex and her teenage daughter. Authorities have charged your accused at least fifty law enforcement officers of using this for unauthorized purposes. You had one dude who was tracking an X to see if she was going to an abortion clinic. You had all kinds of stalking to see if they were with a new man, or stalking the new man to see what he was up to. Threats, abuse, horrifying, horrifying stuff that is going on with this, And to your point, there's really no laws around it, and you think the police departments are going to just on their own make sure that there's you know, limited use of this technology. No, they want a free hand to be able to do whatever they want with it, so that they can deploy it in the ways that they, you know, think are going to be useful and easy for them. It really is sort of like crack cocaine to these police departments, because even that one in California where they found the license plates were being misread seventy one percent of the time. You might look at that and go, this seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth. Maybe they'll just get rid of it. They're not getting rid of it because in the certain cases they find it useful. And so once this technology becomes embedded, even when it performs extremely poorly, even when it causes all sorts of civil rights violations and privacy violations, it is very difficult to dislodge because the police departments like it, They enjoy it, and just one other piece here in terms of you know, all right, so what's the big deal if they misidentify the license plate? Who really, you know, who really cares? Okay, it's kind of awkward for the police departments, et cetera. Maybe there's misuse an expenditure of resources that they wouldn't need. Put D four up on the screen. Just think about what this would look like for you, you and your family. So this is a guy who test drives vehicles, like that's his job. He like test drives vehicles and then he writes up reviews of them for this website called The Drive. Well, because of a sort of technical glitch and error in the way that they were tracking these test drive vehicles, the vehicle that he was test driving, this very expensive one, was flagged as having been stolen. So police in this town tracked him and his family for days. They had all this video recording of him, you know, going about his life, going to the grocery store, et cetera. He and his wife pull into a Kohle's parking lot. Multiple police vehicles like race up, surround them, pin them in. He's freaking out, like what is going on here, and you know, responds in a way that sort of de escalates the situation. Fortunately, these cops listened to him and believed what he had to say. One of them, luckily, was actually familiar with the drive and was like, Okay, this is legit. Because you can imagine this sounds like bullshit, Like no, no, I just test drive these cars for a living, these expensive cars for a living. You could see how that would sound like bullshit. And they told him, Hey, you're lucky that this happened here, because if it happened in the city, they would come at you guns drawn. Like that's what we're talking about here. This is complete insanity. And to the point about the you know, the rising political consciousness and why some of this just information being accessible to the public is creating a real problem for them. You can see some response on both the right and the left as politicians try to position themselves as caring about these issues in local communities. Byron Donald's down in Florida, we can put D five up.
Speaker 1: On the screen.
Speaker 2: He's sounding the alarm about flock surveillance cameras. He's saying that they're impinging on constitutional rights. He's calling for a full pause. And I took note of this. Francesca, hang, how I think you know we talked earlier about the whole canceled Thanksgiving situation.
Speaker 1: There's a lot to say about that.
Speaker 2: In terms of why she's leading in the Democratic primary and certainly has a shot in the general election, is because of the range of issues that she has really chosen to focus on, among them data centers, and she gives a mention to flot cameras in this new ad that she just put out.
Speaker 1: Let's take a listen to that.
Speaker 4: I'm here at the failed fox Con manufacturing site. This is now a Microsoft AI data center plan. Just like in twenty eighteen with fox Con, Republicans will sell out our communities again.
Speaker 2: I think we can say this is we can say this is the eighth wonder of the world.
Speaker 4: Flock cameras, poison groundwater and eye source that don't create future good jobs, two billion dollars in tax breaks that you and I will be paying for. I'm the only candidate in this race to call for a moratorium on the construction of new AI data centers. We can't afford to be fox conned again. The people deserve a same.
Speaker 2: So there you see the mention of flot cameras being pulled into this broader issue said around, you know, pushing back on data centers, tapping into the whole Fox counn situation in Wisconsin as well. But I took note of she was the first Democratic candidate that I'd seen put this in you know, any of the ads, and so you ask yourself, why has she quickly skyrocketed to the top of the Democratic primary leader board and you know is basically FATA company that she's going to be the Democratic nominee against some very prominent establishment back candidates that she was up against. And I think it's because she really has had her finger on the pulse of some of these bubbling issues that are really also cross ideological right.
Speaker 1: And that's that's why we show the Byron Donalds thing, I mean, very likely to be the next governor of Florida. He is saying that you need a full pause. We've had a number actually of GOP representatives very recently who have been talking about flock. I mean, it's very obvious because at the high level, like I said, there's no federal regulation on AI license plate readers. It's all state and local. The company is getting fantastically rich. These have come across the entire name. You can just go to deflock and actually look at the map of where they all are. Very likely it's already in your community, or you drive one at least unwittingly. You have at a minimum in the last few months, and you have no say in this whole Like have I had been flocked. That's only because a foia information that you're able to see. But there's no actual regulatory body on whether this is okay that we're outsourcing all this info completely to a private company which is now saying that if you track where they are that you're somehow a terrorist. So I think that the political dynamics around this are very important. Anybody should be deeply concerned about this ability of a private company to just come in partner with the localities of which there's very little insight, regulation or even knowledge of the community itself. They come up everywhere and then you know, the justification is is that it's vital in helping solve crime, and I think that's probably true, But there's also a significant downside we're seeing already with the abuse, with the mystery. There needs to be the ability for the public to have some sort of say to keep things actually accountable, and it's become I mean, I've seen this spread like wildfire in terms of people who are upset about this, you know, general feeling not just with data centers, but with the cameras of being mass surveiled all the time. Imagine COVID if this type of technology had been as widespread at that time, they're like, oh, you got a ticket, you left your house during lockdown like that. It's so so easy. I mean to think about what you know, the state of California would have done in the middle of a lockdown if they had this type of technology, and how they easily could have made it and integrated it into their enforcement regime. If you're worried about immigration, yeah, well, oh you're an activist and you happen to be in the area. Here you go, here's a ticket. You know, beds are coming to your door, And frankly, I think that's already happening. I was just reading a Wall Street Journal piece passive this morning. But this is what enables it. This is the reason, and this is exactly why I think most people at the very lea should demand a hell of a lot more regulation and safeguard as opposed to just allowing private company states and locality just put these things up wherever we live, basically with no real notice, I think, to all of us.
Speaker 2: And so, yeah, well, and Sager, you're making an important point here, which is, well, it may help solve certain types of crimes. It's also opening up an entirely new vector of potential criminality, as you can see with all of this stalking and harassment that is going on here. So yeah, I mean in kind of a similar way with the immigration crackdown, where on the one hand you could say, oh, this is law and order. On the other hand, you saw all the chaos that created and all the criminal behavior from the ICE agents in the street which just went completely unpunished. You can see a similar nexus here where, yes, on the one hand, it may make it easier to track some of the bad guys, on the other hand, it enables a whole other series of bad guys to do things that are really horrifying and terrifying and infringe on our liberties. There's always a balance in a society between you know, this sort of like authoritarianism, but you know, maybe the crime get solved versus people having some liberty that has to be struck. And I think most Americans are saying this goes way too far in the direction of just a complete, a total surveillance state.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's it comes down to enforcement, you know, it comes down to and you you could to it in multiple different directions. If you are in Seattle, people are literally smoking crack on the bus. But if you speed, you're gonna get a ticket. That's insane. That is a complete insane. Now let me do the other way. So I just talked about the lowest common denominor named lowest common denominator of society, a literal crackhead or a fence and all head. Well, let's switch it. If you are one of these people who Trump just pardoned for a multi billion dollars ponzi scheme, right, and you get out of prison, But I run a red light and I get twenty five dollars ticket. That's bullshit too. So that's what it comes back. There's no consistent enforcement. It comes down to run of the middle. Actual everyday citizen is dually screwed, and there's this type of system. We have a lot of compassion. You know, you got a federal government on the side of the ultra rich. But if you're just a normal everyday guy and you're just you know, you're not a fentanyl addict, you're not an ultra rich billionaire. You're the person actually who's has the most consistent law enforcement directed at you. And I think that's what is wrong with our country. So anyway, some free from free law and order discourse there for some of the candidates that are out there. All right, let's get to Japan. Joining us now is Daniel Besner. He is the author of the Imperious Realism substack, the author of Imperious Realism, the book which we could show all of you, and the host of the American Prestige podcast. That's a record intro here for guests. But again someone have corresponded with a few times and who really caught my interest with some of his writing and some of his analysis. So thank you very much for joining us, Dan, we appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me. Really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely so, you've been really lasered in on this theory of imperious realism which you've developed. Kind of the fallout of post Cold War liberalism and the rise of a new multi polar world one of the things topics that we cover pretty extensively here on our show. Just to link it to today's news, let's put this one up here for example, on the screen about Iran is said to get some Chinese shoulder launched missile systems in weeks made me think of some of your analysis. This is exactly the same type of tactics the United States undertook during the Cold War against the Soviet Union. But you know, Joe or generally, maybe give the audience an idea of your framework here around imperious realism, what it means for the United States and then the future of the world, and connected here to the Iran situation.
Speaker 5: Absolutely so. I think there's something interesting happening in how Americans understand their role in the world and what I would term the American Empire, which is this notion that there's really no changing it, that there's really no way to transform the American Empire, to transform geopolitics. And I think this is a transformation from how Americans understood their world role as recently as the nineteen nineties, when someone like madel and Olivery could say on the Today Show that the United States sees further than other countries, which gives us license to act in the world. I think the failures of the global War on Terror and also the end of what I would call mass politics, the inability of people to actually affect foreign policy and economic policy, and a number of other issue areas has engendered this cynicism about American power, but this idea that we must nevertheless act in the world, but then we feel guilty about it and don't think that anything could really change. So the way that I think about imperialist realism is that it's easier to imagine the end of the world than it is to imagine the end of the American empire.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean fascinating kind of to put in that perspective, but just break it down more towards the path towards multipolarity and how it fits within that framework.
Speaker 5: Sure, so I think this is why it actually matters, because I think that the world is becoming a more multi polar world. The United States was uniquely powerful both after World War Two, were controlled something like half of the world's manufacturing base, had an atomic monopoly, that is, a monopoly of atomic weapons, really had the world's only real air force, and the more we learn about the Soviet Union, particularly in the fifties, sixties, and seventies, the more we learned that it was actually incredibly weak, much weaker than Americans could have really known at the time. And then, of course, after the end of the Cold War, the United States was the last remaining superpower. It was really the global hedgemon. This was the so called unipolar moment, which Charles Crowdhammer term that Charles Crowdhammer basically identified. But I think that two things have happened in the last twenty five years when the United States squandered its global power. You see with the global War terror and just failure after failure there, whether you're looking at Iraq, Libya, or Afghanistan, just total disintegration of American farm policy there. And then you also have the recession, which I think has really damaged the United States's global position. And so you have those two things coupled with the quote unquote rise of China, but really the re emergence of China as a major global power, which it was for most of human history, and also the re emergence of Russia as a global power. So you have this new multipolar world. And just to wrap up here, why this is important is that this is precisely the moment where we need to imagine alternatives to American global empire, because this alternative is going to happen. The question is not a matter of if, but when, And the real issue for us in this country is how we manage this transition to multipolarity. Is it going to be violent or is it going to be not violent?
Speaker 2: Danielle talk a little bit about the shift away from even rhetorical support for the quote unquote liberal international order. So for my entire life, you know, all of our wars and interventions have been framed in these liberal international values. We all know the ways that the American Empire has fallen short of that rhetoric, but the rhetoric was deployed, We're going to bring freedom to the Iraqis et cetera, et cetera. And now between the genocide and Gaza, and you know, the attacks on Iran and the enabling of any number of continued Israeli war crimes, there's really not even a sort of gesture towards that liberal internationalism. You could see it also with just kidnapping Maduro and saying we're going to take Venezuela. There's no wrapping it in oh, human rights, and he was a bad guy. It's all just like, no, we want their stuff and we're going to take it, and we're going to be overt about it. You write that this is effectively a sign of the times, and that We're moving into an era where no longer will there be this sort of overarching ideological frameworks that are used to justify actions in the world. So talk a little bit about what that shift, how that shift is occurring, and.
Speaker 5: What it means absolutely, and it's a really important question. So it's perhaps the easiest way to see this is to compare something like the George W. Bush administration's national security strategy with national security strategies. And this where I think it's interesting from not only the Trump administration but the Biden administration. When you look back on the War on Terror George W. Bush national security strategies, you see consistent references to democracy promotion, to democracy promotion being the key to American security, and this, you know, I'm an elder millennial, This really defined American foreign policy in the two thousands and really even into the twenty tens. Obama himself also talks about things like democracy and humanity and humane war and bringing effectively liberalism to the international space. But I think that this is, as you said, Crystal, this is just impossible to believe after the global war and terror and what you see, and this is really interesting, this transition to begin not even really in the first Trump administration, but more so in the Biden administration. So if you remember, Biden came into office framing international politics as a struggle between democracy and authoritarianism. But when you actually look at how policymakers and the Biden administration talked, for example, about the Ukraine War and Russia's invasion of u and why the United States should, for examples, and weapons to Ukraine, they almost never talked about democracy or protecting Ukrainian democracy. They talked totally in the language of interests. Lincoln says, like, the United States needs to do this, otherwise there'll be another power and that will be bad for American interests. They never talk about democracy. And obviously this is tripled down with the second Trump administration, who never even pretends to have this sort of global human rights vision. And what I think is really interesting here is that this is something that you don't only see in the United States. You also see it in China, and you also see it in Russia. When you look at the national security strategies of China and Russia, there's almost no discussion of ideology. For example, the Chinese national security strategy, you'd think they'd mentioned communism or socialism. They mentioned it like something thirteen times, and they mentioned security hundreds and hundreds of times, and in the Russian national security strategy they barely mention ideology. So what you see here, I think, and then we could talk more about this. This is the consequence of what happens when all major nations on Earth, basically every nation except in North Korea, has embraced a capitalist form of organizing the industrialist and industrial and post industrial economies. There's nothing really ideological to fight over any longer. No one's promoting a fascist way to organize an economy. No one's even promoting a communist way to organize an economy. We're all different forms of capitalism. So where Francis Fukuyama said that the end of history would mean the triumph of liberalism, what we see is that the end of history, which is to say the spread of capitalism, actually just means means that liberalism itself is withering away. And I think this explains a lot about international politics and also domestic politics.
Speaker 1: One of the things that you said which is important there is, you know, the World War two, at the most reductive level could be understood as a battle between authoritarianism and fascist organization alongside democracy or the people's way to One way is literal Bolshevism, other is democracy. A lot more complicated than that, but that's an easy way to understand it. However, you know, the Chinese are just better capitalists than we are at a certain point. Russia itself is like state sponsored capitalism. We're not fighting about that. We're fighting in the language of interest. But as I understand it, I actually think that maybe makes the world more dangerous, because if we're all just scrambling for interest and not even having ideological underpinning, it seems to make conflict more likely. I'm curious for your reaction.
Speaker 5: It could go either way, because when you look at what the United States thought about the Soviet Union, particularly in the nineteen fifties, effectively until the Cuban Missile Crisis, American policy makers viewed the Soviet Union as totally illegitimate because it was so ideologically different. They thought that you couldn't actually make deals. Now, why is foreign policy makers in a world organized around interests might actually find it easier to reach deals because there are just these quote unquote objectives. Now, nothing's objective, but you know what I'm saying here, there are these spaces where you could agree. You could agree to work together about climate change, you could agree to work together about global inequality. The problem is that American foreign policy is still ideological in the sense of not liberal based. But Americans still believe they need to dominate the world. The Americans still believe many Americans at least still believe that there's no genuine alternative to American empire. So an American foreign policy elite that embraces a form of imperialist realism, even as they know the United States is not going to make the world a better place, actually makes international politics more dangerous because then maybe you're not going to leave East Asia, maybe you genuinely believe that you have to stay in East Asia for American security. And even someone who's genuinely good on some of these things, like John Mersheimer, he argues that the United States needs to maintain its forward position in East Asia basically now until the end of time. So I think it's those types of ideas that the United States needs to maintain a global primacy now and forever that could actually make the world more dangerous. Soccer, like you're claiming but doesn't have to be that way, but it currently is now interesting.
Speaker 2: Dan, how does AI development fit into your analysis? You've got Elon Musk in a Reason interviews saying, not only is everyone going to have universal high income, but money is not going to be a thing. You've had books written from the left about, you know, fully automated luxury communism that could potentially be enabled by AI. You have all of these technolog arcs who are basically talking about how we need to rip up the current social contract and do something completely different. I mean, doesn't that potentially augur for a new ideological valance and you know, new systems that break significantly from the capitalist order that we have now that could come into could come into play over the next decade or so.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, I think it's really important. And I think to my mind, and I think I'm perhaps a little unique on the left where I situate myself on this. I think the major problem with AI is that it's going to exist in under capitalism because to some degree you could view it as achieving Marxist fantasy where you no longer have to engage in the types of BS jobs that someone like David Graeber wrote about that it would actually free you to rear cattle in the morning and criticize in the afternoon and drink beer in the evenings. But in actually existing capitalism, all it's going to do is basically destroy labor. And I view AI primarily as related to the falling rate of profit, which is this idea put forward by Marx and other economists, not just Marxists, which is that over time profits become more difficult to basically squeeze out of a capitalist order. I mean, the way that I talk about it to my students is if you build Saint Louis in the nineteenth century, you're going to make a lot of money. But now in the twenty first century you have to basically manipulate financial derivatives in order to achieve a stable level of growth. So I think that the capitalist class, whether consciously unconsciously, is trying to de industrialize the white collar and professional managerial class. So that's what I think artificial intelligence primarily it's economic incentive is. And when it comes to international politics, I think the major issue that we could face is something that we saw in Iran, which is AI doing target selection based on houtmoded data and you get the it seems to be, you get the destruction of you know, children's schools, and there's also potential for AI arms races and things along those lines. But I think the technology is a bit too immature to see where that will go. But like atomic weaponry, you would ideally have some form of international regulation of it. But again in this interest based world where the United States thinks it has to be primed now and forever, it's unlikely you're going to get that.
Speaker 1: So just going forward, like what exactly? So we're gonna have a new world order? Obviously that loaded term, but it's actually literally quite coming. So what's that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: What are our different options here? You just said there's one East Asia. I agree with me. I'm or Shira. For the record, we could debate that a little bit later. That's one option is kind of retrenchment, focusing on core objectives. The other is the Iran option is you break the back of the empire on a stupid foreign conflict, which is completely meaningless. If you were to look at history, that's usually how an empire dies. I guess another option is that we end up potentially fighting home. You know, the mythical Taiwan conflict. Where can we end up?
Speaker 5: What do you think I mean, I think the choices between restraining and reduction of American presence abroad or fighting wars. I think this is put it in starkest terms. Either the United States is going to reduce its global footprint. It's you know, at this point seven hundred and fifty or so military basis, it's going to accept that it's no longer the power it was in nineteen forty five or eighty nine or ninety one, and it is going to come home, which I actually think is a much deeper health strand in American politics. And actually the period since World War Two is quite unique going.
Speaker 1: Back to I totally agree. Yeah, that's how it I go to a normal outcome for the majority of history precisely.
Speaker 5: And you look at George Washington's farewell address, which was actually a letter. Fun fact, he warns against not participating in foreign entanglements in Europe. But you know, people have talked about this South Rouayre. This isn't to deny that the United States has always been an empire westward expansion. Native tribes are understood as foreign nations literally, which is why Neil Gorsich is ironically good on native relations, but I think that we're entering a moment where we really need to rethink global power, and if we don't accept novel realities, I think we're going to get violent. Let's just link this to Iran, because I think it's difficult to know right now, but I think we might look back on the Iran conflict as auguring a revolution in military affairs of the type that we haven't really seen since the invention of the rifle in the middle of the nineteenth century and then later the machine gun. Because before the rifle and the machine gun, you had basically Napoleonic battles. Armies would face and they'd go at each other. Robert E. Lee discovered that that wasn't how it worked during the Civil War, and then all the European leaders discovered that wasn't how it worked in World War One because the machine guns could just mow you down. I think that the biggest thing happening in military affairs right now is the effects of jeron warfare. The way that I put it, Think about what if one day the United States puts in an aircraft carrier in the South China Sea, and China sends literally one million drones at that airraft carrier. This is the transformation in warfare that is also, as we've already seen, going to force a wise American foreign policy elite. Not sure we have the wise blob, but imagine that we did to actually rethink basing bait. These are structures, literal American bases. A lot of these were bases that were taken over from the British Empire during World War Two. They are artifacts of a different age of warfare and the age of drone warfare. Literally send a million drones to the Middle Eastern bases. But it doesn't seem like the foreign policy establishment is rethinking those fundamental premises. And again this is imperialist realism. This notion that you really can't think on alternative world, which is the type of thing that could lead to violence.
Speaker 1: Well fascinating, Dan, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Are you're welcome. Everybody go buy the book, listen to the pods, subscribe to the substack, any other things I need to promote.
Speaker 5: No, I mean, really, the only path forward is to subscribe to the podcast and the subset. That is the first thing, and that's the only way for the world.
Speaker 1: I hear that one. See you man, Thank you very much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 1: Thanks Dan. All right, everybody, we're gonna kick the Japan segment to Thursday. We talked a little bit too much with Dan, but we will have of course, our lives, so you got a lot of content, so you shouldn't complain. There's a live stream today seven thirty pm Eastern Time with Crystal and Ryan. There's a Wednesday show, and then there's still be our normal programming on Thursday and Friday. Don't forget we got a free month trial going on. Go ahead and take advantage of breakingpoints dot com. So I guess Chrystal and Ryan will see you at seven thirty pm Eastern Time right here on the Breaking Points channel.