Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 2: You're off in God's Country with Reed, also known as the Brothers Hunt, where we take a weekly drive to the intersection of country music and the great outdoors, two things that go together like boys to men and I want my baby ba ba baby back.
Speaker 1: I want my baby baby. Everybody thinks they wrote that baby back being Barbara Sauce or.
Speaker 3: Garth Brooks and a lapel mic brought to you by Meat.
Speaker 2: Eater Kenneth Lee Bryce on the pod today, Out in God's Country with Us tell some great stories. Talks about a deer from last year named Baby Brow. That is baby bro shot the brown.
Speaker 1: It's a great story. I will get away.
Speaker 2: Talks about you know he he comes from a background of church and really learn how to cut his chops doing that thing, and learn how to sing harmonies and gets the soul and emotion from from growing up in the church like he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can tell him his favorite the boy got some He got some gravy.
Speaker 1: On does a killer? Does a killer gravet you want to stay around for.
Speaker 3: That gravy on his vocals?
Speaker 1: The Killer?
Speaker 2: Thanks Lee for coming out, got new songs out. He's gonna He's going on the road. By himself doing a you not just by himself. He'll have a he'll have a team with him, but his band, Uh, it's just gonna be him and a guitar and he's and he kind of walks through that process with us and tells what you uh, what you should expect when you go see Lee Bryce on the road this year. It's gonna be it's gonna be pretty special.
Speaker 1: Funny guy, talents. Guy, You're gonna love it.
Speaker 3: Just say sings a lot, sing a lot on this podcast. And I'm glad he did because it's not.
Speaker 1: In the same cloth.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of we have a lot of commonalities with with Lee.
Speaker 1: So it's a cool word. Is that a real word? Commonalities? Yeah, you know, smart smart.
Speaker 3: Words fight our word by anything. On the marketplace, Yes, I have.
Speaker 2: And and it ties into this town and and and and people's journey in this town a little bit. We talked about it in fifteen seconds marketplace minute. Dan bought a k a s KB acoustic guitar case. We've been doing these these gigs and and kind of flying to do them sometimes and and and we're of the cunt camps where terrible roads and stuff and so I needed one too, so on Facebook marketplace, been looking at him, found one north of Nashville. Actually went and got it on George's birthday. Did a little Facebook market Place deal on her birthday. After we got done with her stuff, rolled up to this guy's house garage, opens up, all kinds of music stuff in there. He comes out, He's like, hey, man, thanks for meeting me. Had to meet him at a certain time because he was in between rights. He was doubling, and I was like, hey, man, who are you writing with. He's like, oh, my roommate and you know this this other guy. And we kind of got into the thing and and uh, he had looked up some stuff that I had written. And we started just talking about journeys. And he was telling me, hey, he'd been here ten years and just grinding, man, and didn't know didn't know when it was gonna pop, you know. And and I just told him, you know, man, I lived on a house boat on person Priest for for five years and and and caught our dinner from from a Christmas tree that we dropped under the boat, and and it and and I told him, man, like like this town is crazy and your journey is crazy, because that when you're when you're in it and you're you're looking out at your future and your picture in your future, there is no house in your future. There is no family, there is no Number one parties, there's none of that because it feels so far away and it's such a grind while you're in the middle of it. But all of a sudden, one day it changes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the light breaks through, right, Yeah, and you never know when it's going to How many times when I said this analogy on this podcast, but it's the it's the mining for diamonds thing. Man, if you style how close you could be two inches from changing your life, yeah, or two songs for that matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So keep grinding, Keep minding. Market Place a.
Speaker 3: Minute was brought to you by Reid and Facebook. Marketplace. Uh we skb come on, we have got We have been roasted in our ratings and this one is really good coming from w s M two A three.
Speaker 1: That's the radio station I think it is wim IS.
Speaker 3: And the copy station calls me out so beautifully on canter when I was talking about the wheels and the it's really funny.
Speaker 1: Can I say the nut? Okay?
Speaker 3: The title of the roast for ratings five star. I appreciate you. WM three is numb nuts, Hey, numb nuts? Or is it numb nuts because I'm talking to both of y'all hillbillies anyway, Ouch camber is the correct term for the tilt angle of the tires, not canter. Is cantor is a gait of a horse. I'm not going to read the next line because defensive to my sister that he doesn't know. Bros, if you stuck with me through the banter, let me just say the podcast is legit.
Speaker 1: One of my favorites.
Speaker 3: Great content, awesome guest, sweet little diddies in a favorite segment, favorite song, slam, don't move on your part for having your guests throw out a few bars of songs. I got hooked on Cassie's rendition. Cassie asked us who he's talking about? What are you listening to? And can't miss this segment since now that was a loin tickler, Bros.
Speaker 1: Carry on, thanks.
Speaker 2: W just just kicked us on the just put us on the ground and then helped us out.
Speaker 3: Sour and then sweet, Yeah, that's what we're looking for. You don't have to be sweet if you don't want to but thanks for being sweet.
Speaker 1: W SM three.
Speaker 2: Dude, thanks for following along all of y'all. Thanks for following us on Facebook, and if you haven't follow us on Facebook, YouTube, you know TikTok if it's still around for how long is it going to go away? Nobody knows, Oh, nobody knows. But follow us on all the social media. Keep keep rusting us, keep you keep giving us five star ratings, and don't get a shout out.
Speaker 3: Don't rust us and give us on one star rating. Nobody has yet, have they Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, if they do, they're not going to get shouted out on the pod. It's got to be five star. We love y'all, Appreciate y'all, and enjoy Lee Bryce peace. All right, First of all, we got former Clinton University long come on, big fish catching South Carolina boy dad, a three three point seven seven billion with a B Dog Grammy nominee c M A and a c M Award winner. Mister Lee Bryce, some guy God in God's Country today.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, I mean this this seems like it's gonna be really hard.
Speaker 1: It's really tough. It's gonna be the hardest.
Speaker 2: Podcast you ever done in your life, really serious question.
Speaker 4: Surrounded by these kind of things animals, I feel kind of at home. I put some in my studio to just like when I'm working at a vibe.
Speaker 3: You got to all right, So we were just talking about because we're in the middle of a duck trip right now.
Speaker 2: Literally got back into it and then we're going back out.
Speaker 1: You said you're going back right Literally.
Speaker 2: When this is over, I have to go fix my dog's battery callers because I forgot to do that this morning.
Speaker 4: We're in the same boat. It's like y'all were duck hunting. You drove all the way back from Arkansas. You got it two or three in the morning. I wrote until about three, got to sleep about four, got up to and a half hours later, and drove down one hour from the farm.
Speaker 1: We're down there. I'm in spring Hill, he's in When did this happen?
Speaker 4: Well, I guess it's the eight to nine o'clock hour turned into Atlanta in Dallas.
Speaker 1: Do you have to do it a lot when you come to town? Do you come to town early?
Speaker 4: I never, I never ever come to town unless God's country.
Speaker 2: Spig Man, we love you for it, We appreciate you for it.
Speaker 1: That's a clip a clip that, but that's for sure, all right.
Speaker 2: So we were talking about duck hunting and man, I'm not a duck hunter, but I kind of want to be. And here's the deal, like, I don't, I don't have to have the extravagant thing.
Speaker 1: My what I want is.
Speaker 2: Me and my boy and my bro and his kids. Just a little spot, just just one duck hole, just to shoot. Yeah, five or six miles, five or six green heads, which is and you were and you were do that great day, right, That's that's kind of all you want is just to see some birds work, call duck call a little bit, watch a dog run out there and grab a couple.
Speaker 1: How did did you put your spot in or was it? Was it there?
Speaker 4: So yeah, I kind of put it in, but I put it in kind of dug out a pond and I just kind of let the overflow. There was already a low spot coming up to the kind of gravel road, just kind of going to the back of the farm. It's a small little farm, but a you're talking about frank Frankly, Yeah, I'm about four hundred yards from Page High School and we've been right, we've caught fish the pond. So the pond, if you're coming back towards where you drive into the pond, there's like a low spot. Well we got corn beans and stuff growing in that little spot. If the pond overflows, then it's just this perfect But I got these pines just lined up right and come right over your head and they really it's like so fun. It's usually like a fifteen to twenty minute thing. It's like you're going to get the birds that you've had for a week or two and then like you get your chance at them. And and that's like honestly really nice. Compared to I grew up, like down in South Carolina, it was like get on a boat early dark, you know, I go deep into the swamp and you might catch them. You're one hundred mile an hour wood ducks, you know, and you might you know, you might kill a couple, you know.
Speaker 1: But it was just about the that was hard hunting.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: I did get to do kind of what y'all do, like a couple of times because I knew a got down in West Tennessee and that real foot area past that and uh man, they had the they called it called it the money pit, you know, they drive you out and through the water, drop you off and you get down in the thing. They had a sausage lady boy.
Speaker 1: They had a lazy boy and.
Speaker 4: A TV eaters like like literally, I got out of my clothes setting a lazy boy and was watching TV and like cooking eggs, sausage biscuits while they're right through the other door, under the water, under the ground like going. Birds would come home, Like I get up in my underwear and go over there and shoes. That was awesome. But that's like a luxury cake, you know. I do like that. My son has been doing it sixteen and he he gets up by himself and he'll go go out there in the dark, put his decoys out, walk through the water and go sitting stand in the pines and you know, wait for that kind of twenty minute little window.
Speaker 1: That's also he it's cool to have you said he's sixteen. He's sixteen, dude, do one of that. It happened.
Speaker 3: It was I feel like I remember him being born.
Speaker 4: Yeah you do. I was a loser's crying. Yeah, like so happy.
Speaker 1: I got a boy coming, boy boy, and it used to be boy now it's boy boy boy. What wrong with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I gotta tell the story reads already heard it fourteen times. But since we're talking about boys, and then we'll do a quick little kid kid muma here. My son is part of training. He's two and a half and probably when he's sixteen, he's been like, Dad, I can't believe you told that on the podcast. But he's party training. And if you don't know when your kids are party training, a lot of time, you just like let him run around with no pants on, figuring it out, figuring out well, he likes full mommy, he's naked. He's naked, but he loves running around our house naked. Yes, so seven degrees outside, it's a little cold for that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: I was, I was putting my bets in. I was watching the Ohio State game, and he climbs up on my chair shoulder and I'm not paying any you know, you become nominates like stuffy or whatever.
Speaker 1: You're the tree.
Speaker 3: So he he somehow turns around and I'm still look at my phone. He grabs my hair and you know, like if you were to grab a pole and swing out, he grabs my hair, swings out halfway through the swing while he's his front is coming like this.
Speaker 1: He farts and then t bats me in one fluid motion like he's this tall, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, all my kids, oh me, I was just pushing the baby.
Speaker 4: Ed grabs a mic cable for the thing, swings out on the crowd and just comes. That's what it was. He swung out like this. Off your hair, your hair hitting that long though, I've got to just a little. It's gotta be a little.
Speaker 1: I just cut seven inches off.
Speaker 4: Of Oh wow, okay, never mind stand correct this day it was still still rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was rock. Kids of kids are great, man, kids are great. I got tired of my long hair, Dude, I got tired of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it's just such a like it's such a young man's thing.
Speaker 3: Totally ill. I went from like cool band guy to like virgin I t tech in like two years.
Speaker 1: It was like what I looked like. It's kind of midlife crisis stuff.
Speaker 4: Cott just hey, just you know what the George, George. I don't even think you can buy a straight drive. Really, I don't think you can buy a new Core Vent.
Speaker 1: It's like a manual. It's all automatic.
Speaker 4: I don't think they even I don't even think you can blasphem. I don't if I'm gonna buy If I ever am going to buy a sports car, I want to have control over it totally right hand, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Kind of hate that about.
Speaker 3: I hate people telling me what to do, and I really hate machines telling me what to do.
Speaker 4: Yeah up, I'm just saying, but you need to get further away from the yellow line. I'm like, dude, dude, stop the truck will literally stop it.
Speaker 2: I feel like manuals are kind of about to be a thing of the past, Like I mean, I know they're still making them, but it feels like it's not even I don't know, I don't know anybody that drives a manual anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know anybody that.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a couple of people I know that still that can or that do do. But like, I know a couple of people I can't remember who they are. I just know, I know I just talked to somebody about and they're like, yeah, it's a manual. I was like, you, a manual. I know, they hardly make those anymore. That's what they're the most fun thing. I mean, I had a three on the tree on this old Ford. I didn't as my daddy's Ford F one hundred two drive come on white and it's a three on the tree. And I grew up with a little seventy nine love Chevrolet.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: In fact, where the giarship was was like a hole through the floor. So when I was just going to church or going on a date with my girlfriend, if you went through water, like water came up through the thing and splash, splash you You're like, what's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So I got me a big piece of rubber, a nice piece of rubber, cut it really clean, cut a hole in it, put it over it, and I got me some self threatened screws and made like even like silver.
Speaker 1: Little make it worse. And it was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty old love Ford drive thirty fifties. Barely turned them tireds up. I meant that was a smooth ride. What it was like a four wheeler. You can take it anyway, as light as a feather.
Speaker 1: That's great. Did I have what were my I had some? I had some.
Speaker 3: I mean all I drove was a stick shift because I had to buy them on vehicles and there were as like six thousand dollars cheaper because nobody could drive them.
Speaker 4: You know what that Bronco I looked at. Uh it was like an older Bronco, a new one, but they have straight drive.
Speaker 1: It was a stick shift, man. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But it's not like old school eight throw on a tree like where you're locking it in and.
Speaker 1: This is through. Yeah's different. You're well, I'm saying, you're literally in those new ones. You're just going, oh, yeah, it is different.
Speaker 4: It's like it started a long time ago where your clutches only go that goes down about like that far.
Speaker 1: It's one movie you just barely eat up and back. You know, I got this. I thought this.
Speaker 4: My guitar player just got gets bored and he does random things like spent like a year and he just bought this old Samurai like Suzuki samard top or hardtop, and he and he like took it apart, rebuilt the whole thing, like just learned on YouTube and just just wanted to learn.
Speaker 1: Come on and just read the whole Samurai.
Speaker 4: And it's got like a little clutch like that, but it's old, but it's still got a little clutch. It's not like a big jeep like the mold jeeps. Like I got a seventy nine, Big long clutch. You really got to like know what you're doing. Well, my Riker got in there, my middle son, and in one minute sixty seconds he was we were going and he was shifting gears down the road and never driven on. No, he just learned it to say.
Speaker 1: We like to do.
Speaker 2: A little thing was started off a little little song called a little tegment called what you're mad at?
Speaker 1: Man, I'm tired this morning.
Speaker 6: We do what you mad? Just tell us what it is, what you're mad at? Itch and lost.
Speaker 1: Kids might be a.
Speaker 6: Boss man or your neighbors kid, just tell us what you mad.
Speaker 1: He like that. I like that. Oh, Barbara's old. I won't baby back, baby, bro baby back. I will my baby back baby.
Speaker 2: But that's my that's my that's my two year olds favorite song. There's a there's a video on YouTube of Voice of Men doing it. Oh really, and it's like I.
Speaker 4: Love, I grew up loving. They're they're like, we're.
Speaker 2: Not even gonna sing that song here, We're just gonna have We're just gonna have some ribs. We're not even sing that song because everybody thinks it's our song. And they do a thing.
Speaker 1: Baby baby, uh what is what you are you even talking more?
Speaker 7: Are you?
Speaker 6: We're even saying love you no more? Saying now we feel is no longer.
Speaker 4: What they do the harmony like that kind of song because it's gorgeous, so we're it's not like a normal gospel thing. So like they they got dialed that thing like, oh dude, oh.
Speaker 7: Come jui.
Speaker 8: The road, man, I care.
Speaker 1: Here's some natural jube alone, jui to me to face these white boys. Dude, come on boys, the boys right here, Yeah, baby, yeah, come on over the.
Speaker 3: Hell boys to real was that was a she watched the b Boys to Dad's Boys.
Speaker 4: Boys, Yeah, boys, the boys returning from a Boys and Boys boy he grew up boys never a man, never man. Don't even Brian Davidson. He's like, I'm grow up some day, you know, he said. He's like, you know, forty five some day.
Speaker 1: He's good dude. That was that was a made it moment for me.
Speaker 2: We were watching that Boys the Man thing on the TV and and we've written with one of the guys.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the guy, what's the guy? He uh, the.
Speaker 4: Face with the little what's this he's kind of like the sort of the lead yes singer, but he's not the guy, the fair guy, and then you got there's two kind of it's that guy.
Speaker 2: But we wrote, we wrote with him and wrote a song. He came into town and wanted to do some country stuff, so we wrote a song with him. And we were watching that and I got it out. I was like, man, I'm just gonna holler, just a dude. Boys, some men it's like Connick in my family, especially for my sister grade.
Speaker 4: Dancing in there like singing, you know, like this, you know, Jesus, Jesus.
Speaker 2: We got the adults on the side doing the thing. But I text him. I was like, hey, man, I just want you to know. We were sitting here. My favorite or my little girl's favorite song is y'all's version of baby Back Ribs. And I was like, I've watched him many times. I thought about it. You just thought he was like do we had so much fun? So much more?
Speaker 1: He's like, we had so much fun we had filming that video. That great. He's a cool guy.
Speaker 2: He's great. Sorry what you're mad at? You could be mad, it could be whatever. You know what I mean, you can be glad.
Speaker 3: I'll go, I'll go I'm mad at personalized license plate.
Speaker 1: Man, I hope you don't have one. Do you have one? Did you just say like hard to l u V. Dude, if you're a grown.
Speaker 3: Man and you to l u V personalized license plate, Like Okay, you're too cool for me. Whatever, get out of my lane, bro, Like I'm mad at that. I'm mad at personalized license plates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't like. I don't like.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 1: Doesn't make me too mad, but I can I can see that.
Speaker 3: I like doing some I like throwing some petty things into this segment instead of it all being traffic.
Speaker 4: I'm with that. I'm with that traffic. Let me see that guitar. I got a line of a song coming on my new record. Oh it's all let me get over there, and uh.
Speaker 1: I love this little little thing. So you'll see the title real quick. Not that key. We had to go to Nylon this morning. Yeah, we left everything on.
Speaker 5: And so.
Speaker 1: I said, the end of a verse is a.
Speaker 4: I'm mad, I got so many guns, and I'm gladdern Heart's gone. Sitting No country boy, this is a.
Speaker 1: Weed been around.
Speaker 4: So the mad thing, I'm mad, I got so many guns and I'm gladern Heart's gone.
Speaker 1: I see people go what you say said.
Speaker 5: No country boy, but says weve been here around sitting the country boy subtractor on the plows.
Speaker 4: My babies kisses didn't last, so dast.
Speaker 1: Sitting no country boy country boy. That's perfect for this segment.
Speaker 8: What are you mad at?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 1: I got so many guns and I'm glad it's going. I see people go what did you just sir? It happened to me. I was like, oh, you can started getting starts beating. It makes it work the segment. I'm I'm glad at today.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: Jordan's birthday was a couple of weeks ago. Birthday. Jordan last week went and did a did a nice little couple's massage. Man, it was great.
Speaker 2: Gonna go eat some sushi. We got to the sushi place. It's the two part two segment One. I'm mad at restaurant prices. Oh, unbelievable, dude, unbelievable. We go to sushi place, walk in. I'm like, oh, dang man, these crab dragoons. I would like some of these crab dragoons A million dollars for four. And I was like, you know what, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think I want to anything. I think I wanted. I would love to have something, but I don't want I don't want them that bad. I don't want that bathroom. So we eat.
Speaker 2: There's a table right here of some girls from out of town. You hear them talking from Chicago.
Speaker 1: You can you can?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's another couple over here, one waiter. Middle of the day, lunch, not many people in there. Everybody leaves. I go to the bathroom. I come out and I'm looking. I'm looking at the table.
Speaker 1: Where the girls.
Speaker 2: This big group of Chicago girls just left. What's on the end sitting there? Perfect Chris Chris be Fried didn't crab dragoons. And I stopped and I was like, I would really like to eat those.
Speaker 8: They gone.
Speaker 2: They I went to the table, sat down with Jordan, and I was like, hey, what what would you do if if I just happened to show up with two grab room ragoons in a second.
Speaker 1: She's like, we're you talking about that I didn't pay for.
Speaker 2: I looked, I looked at the waiter. Waiter walks around the corner listening. I was like, eat it quick, because he knows we didn't order crab ragoons.
Speaker 4: It's like better than the five second rule. Touch it all, dude.
Speaker 1: It was like the light was hitting them too, and you know, like it's it's like there glowing.
Speaker 2: But dog, they were literally for four of them, it was like thirty seven dollars and it's a fried tortilla.
Speaker 6: At home.
Speaker 4: I just flew back like a day and a half ago from Mali with eight hours flight, you know. Now's but we got to the place and they were like, hey, here's a here's like a bunch of a handful of like all these like breakfast vouchers. We're standing at the ritz car and we're doing like this. They put us up and we're doing this. Uh benefit just no, it's not it's actually it's now changed, but it's it was kind of more for the fires and stuff that we're out there all this stuff. And so we were there, got a little vacation out of it. I played a big show. But anyway, we got there, like hey, they handed me a big handful of like breakfast vouchures. You know, I'm not a big breakfast guy anymore. But my wife vacation. She's up at freaking six, and I'm like, this is a vacation.
Speaker 1: Can we sleep in it? Maybe once?
Speaker 4: Anyway? So I went to breakfast for every day, and so we were using our vouchers. We didn't think ano another, you know, leave a little tip.
Speaker 1: You know, got vouchures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then like the last day, we had like one voucher left, and I was like, I'm not even hungry, I said, but I'm gonna go with it. I don't want you to go by yourself. So I go over there and I get there, I'm like, you know what, I'll just grab a plate.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: It had one vouchure, and I figured maybe it's like and I said, whatever, I'll pay for the other if that.
Speaker 1: If it's not, I said, no, this one will be fine for both of you.
Speaker 4: So I sit down and I honestly I went over there and got a little plate and I got like like one little piece of sausage and like a tiny little bit of scrambled eggs like I brought over just.
Speaker 1: To have just salmon and capers. That's it.
Speaker 4: And then just so I could be sitting there eating while she's eating, and then the dude comes over to wait after he's so, do you have the other vouchuer? I was like, oh no, I said, I don't. We only had one. I was liked, but I'll just pay for it. He goes, okay, it comes back over and I'm telling you, like it was like a plate like like my two year old eat right, and because I didn't even want it, and I had like a glass of iced tea and he said, didn't even go mimosa, just no mimosa. Nothing right, six seven dollars.
Speaker 3: You et a thirty seven dollars piece of sausage.
Speaker 1: I was like, and then you know your chip.
Speaker 4: It was eighty dollars for one baby plate for two year old, even one.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't even I mean.
Speaker 4: Eighty bone eighty dollars. I was like, holy crap, we saved some money this week because we had had like five days in a row for free. That would have been one hundred and sixty per.
Speaker 1: Day for five days. I'm like six, I'm like, man, And then I'm like but but I was like eighty dollars scrambled eggs like one sausage full and like one like turkey sausage. And how I don't know.
Speaker 4: She's a rich Carlton in MAUI okay.
Speaker 3: Well this ain't the ritz I swung by shyinge salon other day she said, get me some lunch. I was like, I don't really want to, kind of get in a pinch, but.
Speaker 1: I'll go do it. Don't go by chick fil a. Went by Chick fil A. Don't go by Chick fil a. She I was like, what do you want?
Speaker 3: She goes twelve nuggets, fruit cup, coke, lot ice, got your baby roll up in there.
Speaker 1: I didn't get anything.
Speaker 4: It's all you got. So you got nuggets. Guess the fruit cup twelve now twelve grill no true grilled?
Speaker 2: No, just not the eight count, the twelve B, twelve count fruit, twelve count, twelve c two cook yes.
Speaker 4: Thirteen fourteen fifteen dollars?
Speaker 1: What you got? Who do you think it was? You know? Eighteen dollars eight for fruit?
Speaker 4: Remember you could go like you could go there for like four dollars and ninety five cents and likes bus.
Speaker 2: You could eat eighteen dollars. Used to it would buy you the whole menu and Donalds eight eighteen dollars dollars. It was like seventeen sixty seven or something for fruit and some chicken.
Speaker 3: I literally was like this is I was doing the math in my head of like if I had just bought it and cooked it at the house three bucks.
Speaker 1: It is out this crazy. It's crazy. We spent thirty dollars last night at uh at Popeye's.
Speaker 4: You know, if it was if all that money was going to the farmers who grow the food, be okay where it's going on.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. Absolutely they ain't getting pennies on it.
Speaker 3: And Chick fil As Jesus is Chicken Maryland. I took it easy on the side here.
Speaker 4: You know what, if you gonna charge that much, you need to be open on Sunday, preach, run for office.
Speaker 1: Hey what a deer season or what did hunt season look for?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: You look like? For you? Last year? Do you have time? Did you go? This past year was a weird year.
Speaker 4: Last year I I killed probably up on my little farm. Like he's probably called the baby brown. Had no brow ties. They were like an inch long. But he was probably one hundred and fifty five inches nine points on your phone on my little tiny farm. How he was probably four four and a half beautiful, but he just so he called him baby brow. It's actually funny called him baby brow because he just didn't It's a genetic just didn't. So if he'd had six ins Brow times he'd have been on.
Speaker 1: Big Bug. So but he was he needed to be, he needed to be so. Uh.
Speaker 4: The cool part is we called him. He called him Baby Brow like cameras all year.
Speaker 1: Do you know he was in there?
Speaker 4: Is this the first year he showed up? Did you It was the first year he showed up. I mean he I think he was there year before, but we didn't really have him on camera really, but I'd seen him franding him, but there was another bigger bug. They were I just I was like, right, two monster bucks on this year anyway, called him Baby Brow. And my brother Lewis, he's a like crack shot, I mean, you know, and I got this gun that never misses anything ever, like something about it. I mean, you can make a terrible shot and somehow just stuffed up. It's a three hundred win bag Ruger, just bold action, just wooden, just American built. It just seems it just doesn't well. Louis he runs to the farm. He goes, hey, man, I'm gonna go go hunting, and I s all right going out there. I can't be there, said, He goes, you know, if I see like you know, he knows what we're kind of keeping or not shooting or this and that. He said, what if I see you? I said, man, it's late, getting late in the sea, it's late in the season. I said, yeah, if you see you know, one of them bucks. Obviously we hadn't seen him because they left during the rut.
Speaker 1: I just heard one of them.
Speaker 4: Came came came out here, Louis because can. I said, he's in front of you.
Speaker 1: Shoot him a boom right here across the farm.
Speaker 4: And I heard the boom, and he goes, all right, I got him, said he kicked how I kicked, spun around, jetted into the thickest stuff ever. And I said, come on out and come hang out. We'll hang out in studio for a little bit and then we'll go you know, yeah, give him some time. So we go, we go back and there's not and this gun is almost too big for a white tail. But it just happened and just I always know it's on, you know, over there, not I drop a butt. Normally, this gun like there's like a like a tree would be splattered like if there's anything behind it, you know, nothing right, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing looked everywhere and he's like, I mean Lee Like, he's like he was one hundred yards away, like he was a chip shot. He's like, I mean he was quartered away a little bit. He's like, but he's like maybe I just got the butt fever and pulled it. You know, he's quartered away to the like yeah like this way. Yeah, we just like, man, you just didn't hit him. I mean, there's no way, there's nothing. Well, the next day, I sat in my stand, the same stand that Buck comes walking out, the same exact spot where Lewis shot the day before, and I did, look, did he look hit at all? Just walked out, just stood there like a perfect picture.
Speaker 1: I'm like that.
Speaker 4: Same thing spun around, high kicked, jetted into the thick stuff.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: I never missed anything with this gun. So I was like, I kind of like I did the same time. I said, Lewis said, let's come to meet the studio for a little bit. But I kind of drove by where he was just to see if I and I drove by and I started throwing out because I was like, there should be blood everywhere. Okay, let me just keep going. So I kept going and then I said, all right, I said, well, I drove by it. I said that, but that's obviously can't be true. He has I said, if it is, it's like some kind of ghost bug, like it's odd. It ain't like you're shooting a bow like you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I go back and I sit. I go back to the stand.
Speaker 4: I said, I'm gonna just go sit in the stand and just I sat for another two hours and just sat to about nine thirty.
Speaker 1: Got out.
Speaker 4: I went so I said, all right, well let's go over there and let's just go let's go find him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I just go over there, not a drop of anything anywhere. I mean, I had to move the cart because I thought I pulled it up too far or something. I was like, maybe there's blood under the cart. I'm like, this is insane. So look for like thirty forty minutes. I'm like, I mean, this is insane.
Speaker 1: We were.
Speaker 4: I was like, I mean basically kind of like must have this must be some kind of ghost buck. Yeah, missed him. Go to walk to the car, and I just how much go over this little path you know where he ran in one more time. I look in my eyes are right, you know that the hay and the big straw that's got the little red spots all over it kind of yeah, kind of looks like yeah, but I like six feet in, I'm like, I'm like, it's probably the rest spot. But it looks a little bit like I'm talking about, like the tiniest, tiniest little spicket of blood, I thought. And I look over and I'm like, I mean, it looks But then I went and rubbed my finger on it. But I've been there for like three hours, you know, and it was dry, and I was like, but it still looks like blood. And as I was up six feet and I look another six feet and there.
Speaker 1: He is laying there.
Speaker 4: No to go over, He's laying there, and you know, and I picked him up and on his left eyebrow, Lewis had had literally burned him, burned his eyebrow. A gash in his eyebrow was not a fighting thing, it was he was quartered away from Lewis and Lewis must have pulled it like a little bit. And his name was Baby Brow, and my baby brother shot him in the eyebrow the day before. I have him mounted with a big scar over there. That's awesome in that wild that's crazy. Baby yeah, Baby Brow my baby brother missed it with the gun. That doesn't miss shot. But I was gonna and shot him in the brown. I was gonna cut his shirttail. But I was like, you actually hit him basically, so I didn't have to cut his shirt tail?
Speaker 1: Well, why didn't? Why didn't he bleed? Where did you hit him? Great?
Speaker 4: I just I just hit him, well, I purposely. I kind of been I want to thing lately, I don't where I'm at. It's so thick in there. I don't want him to even if you shoot through heard, they'll still run twenty thirty put him down. And then I like to shoot him a little high on the shoulder that way break it. It'll just go normally. But I shot him a little high on the shoulder, but not quite high enough, and so it just he It still only ran probably seventeen yards. But that's what I That's why I didn't bleed.
Speaker 1: I didn't.
Speaker 4: I didn't kind of bust through his Yeah, you know, I might have hit the top of a loan or something. That's why he but he went down. But that has a good dear dude, he's a great deal for work picture. Yeah, I mean, I mean he's he's bigger than these in here, a.
Speaker 1: Lot bigger than these in here? Man, what did uh?
Speaker 8: I feel?
Speaker 10: He's bigger like that one except sept with no brow, bigger than that one. I didn't know Lee Ris is a Buckshamer, dude, What did U but Shamer Bruck Shamer Brice?
Speaker 1: What had growing what? What had growing up in South Carolina?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: What did the outdoors look look like for you?
Speaker 11: There?
Speaker 4: Every single Saturday, are I mean Sunday here at church, the night you're at church. Wednesday, you're at church choir practice, probably on Mondays? You know, it was our life. And then Saturdays, every Saturday during hunting season we were dog driving with the club. My daddy had a whole kennel of walkers really, you know, the beagles with long legs. And daddy had one called trains. First song I ever wrote, well, second song I ever wrote, it's called train and it was it was called God gives every man one great hound. Like I'm I'm eleven years old, and I made my daddy and his best friend like ball their eyes a great hook actually and uh and uhs Saturday and they still have the club. Because there ain't many states anymore that that runs in Texas, Georgia and South Carolina. I mean it's not a lot, right, And so I even went and did it this year. We went and you know they still do it. It's not the same it used to be. You know, we were like, oh yeah, so many dogs and I mean, you're like Duke's hazard. Everybody's got cebes. We gotta get to the pine block.
Speaker 1: Got to get to that.
Speaker 4: And we're Daddy's hauling but across the field and I'm hands on the dash. My head bounced against the you know, windshield and great stuff.
Speaker 1: That was probably the biggest no seatbelts. We no, you gotta take it on the.
Speaker 4: Seat with my hands on the dash of my face pot and he's I mean, Paul and just across our field or who knows where it's wear.
Speaker 2: But my dad's face lights up when you ask him about because he grew up in Mississippi and you asked him about like some of those stories and so they drove that was his upbringing, his driving, you know, deer with dogs and the same thing. He's like, We're flying down dirt roads and people flying out the back of the truck and then we couldn't you couldn't stop to go get him because the deer.
Speaker 4: Dogs jumping, and you're shooting a deer just running, you know, full speed. You got to shoot it like a rabbit or a dove. I mean, you know, they're about this little of the ground hauling across. Unless you're on the backside. They're trying to creep out because they hear the dogs and they're not being run yet, and they'll be creeping out and you're already there.
Speaker 2: And they look up like, hey, yeah, yeah, that's awesome. Man, that's awesome. Are your boys getting into it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They Takota has been eat up with turkey hunting. Our farms just got so it's arounded by the Harbor River and it's like so there's all that's route, the whole farms. They're roosting literally on the whole farm. Beautiful, and so you let he'll go, like he I told you, we're not far from pay Page High School in Sains Middle School. He get up in the morning and go to the stand like that like a little kind of a turkey blind that's covered like a tent sort of one, a groundblind, and he would like just just in time. He would leave his gun there, walk through, cross the fence, go through the neighbor's yard, through their big field about three hundred yards, go down their road and he take his boots off and a ham in a tree, put his shoes on, his backpack, go to school, get out of school, come back there, put his bootspack on it, go get back in the standard. And it's like, who got to do that to walk to school through the woods. So yeah, so he's headed with that. Now he's loving Duckhut and he was on the trap team this year.
Speaker 1: Awesome. By the way, don't ever let your kids do that. Don't. I thought you're supposed to let him do that if.
Speaker 4: You want to pay seven thousand dollars for the shells. And I'm not I'm not saying like a million. I'm saying seven thousand dollars to pay.
Speaker 1: For what's that a year? One season? Man, that's like a that's like a I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, I said, yeah, you go do this, but ball he goes, all right, here, we got to get these shells. I'm like, okay, I'll get the shoves on.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, well, what's paying another admission?
Speaker 4: I'm like, I could have bought you a truck for this.
Speaker 1: That's a East Kentucky you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm like, what, so well, I will say, here's there's a I think he kind of went through half of them. So he's going to do it again this year. Because he said I want to do it again. I said, well, you do it again because you have these shelves left over. You ain't doing it after this.
Speaker 1: When you run out that last I'm sorry but practicing to.
Speaker 4: Tell you, but you go back to throwing your discs and being inside linebacker, like I can buy you like three discs.
Speaker 1: Well, he may make up for he may get a scholarship man to make up for all that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, Man, he's shooting my dude, he's a trap shooting right. I'm like, hey, man, go take my over and under like trap shooting gun, right, he said, Dad, I like this this Winchester automatic duck gun. I'm like, dude, you gotta have And he's like, well, I just used to it. I said, well, okay, well I know, and he's he's good with it, you know, but I'm like, yeah, but this is a different level of thing. These guns are a little more set up for that now. So he shot the whole season with the Winchester. Look, Brian gave me this.
Speaker 1: Is it cam odaw twelve games, twenty games, twelve gage Luke.
Speaker 4: Brian gave it to me for like a end of the tour gift like ten years ago, and like it's a good gun. It was like one of those it's like, you know, twenty five gun. It's a nice gun. The other day he goes, well, Daddy, I said, I'm going to go. He said, what are you doing? So I'm going to go clean my gun. I gotta go do this. He goes, well, oh, clean your gun? He said, I needed probably clean. I've never cleaned my gun.
Speaker 1: I said, what what?
Speaker 4: Because he calls it his he's been shooting it for like two or three years. Say wait, you've never cleaned your gun ever. And you actually shot trap with it all year long, all year long, and you've hunted with it, duck, hutting, muddy, all of it. Never cleaned it. Now we'll say that that's the sign of a pretty gun for sure.
Speaker 2: Ain't no.
Speaker 1: Got to clean the boy. That's awesome. Did you cut your teeth in church?
Speaker 5: Like? Is that?
Speaker 1: Where is that? When he started to first time I ever performed ever. I was seven years old and I played.
Speaker 4: I caught it with both hands because I was proud of seven and I was singing in front of the whole church.
Speaker 1: OHI I loved Jesus.
Speaker 4: It was my first time I ever played in front of anyone, and I just learned how to play the song because I had already dabbled on pianos since I was a baby. But yeah, I mean, and then you know, singing solos, and you know, you know when you're giving the message specials, and I mean, it really is that way. It's like, but in church, it was more about getting that message across. And I think that to this day when I'm singing any of my songs on stage, I'm the first thing I'm doing is getting the message across.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. And that came from me seeing my mama up there.
Speaker 4: My mama would like, stop singing. She's a great singer. She'd stop singing in church and start talking the words if she felt like she needed to do that for you to really get. And so it's part of that that I've blessed with is from like her and from church, and because that's what it wasn't. You didn't get up there to like perform.
Speaker 1: You got up there to sing about God.
Speaker 4: You were a part of the service and part of the message. And so yeah, definitely. I mean church is the number, you know. And I was a staffer counselor music leader at a camp for like ten years in a row, like a summer camp, and you know we I led worship and all that kind of story.
Speaker 3: There's a stinky soul come from it. You got some stink on that thing.
Speaker 4: Aunt Henry, my mama's oldest sister. She played a piano and she taught me how to play the you know, she taught me how to play by ear when I got to Nashville and they had this number system. Yeah, one, four, five, six, you know whatever. She I didn't know, but she had taught me that. She wrote the chords down in order, and she's like, look, if it goes here, here, here, and here, then if you want to make it go lower, this is your list. Just if you start here, just do the same pattern. I was like, oh, so she's caught it learning to play by ear, right by ear, And she said, well, by ear air. I never knew by air. I didn't know it never air or ear when I was a kid, but church was all of it. And that's so she I mean Aunt Henry.
Speaker 3: See, had you got some R and B on it? Though she was it was otis some of them?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well I grew up.
Speaker 4: I mean I love like we were talking about boys to men earlier, you know, I mean Brian McKnight, Whitney Houston.
Speaker 8: And you know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know, I know I know I know, I know I know I know I know.
Speaker 1: That you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like it's just that's that. Yeah, that's stuff I was drawn to.
Speaker 1: You can you can definitely tell.
Speaker 4: And I mean my traps trip to like trap like soul for soul, you know for sure?
Speaker 1: What's the uh uh we're going around? Is that too high?
Speaker 5: No? Do it?
Speaker 1: I used to do deep that guitar. Ain't loving that? Hey do it? That's fine, I can we can do it. And where were you at? Planet in sea? That's fine? That's lower. Actually, the girl, you know, I haven't known you forever?
Speaker 11: How many nights if we hung out together, same little boy, little crowd of the town round so dank ever nine take you on the shoulder and makething motion like a joke. Ain't any closer. They want to know us up. Why I'm still holding even when the song is over. There's a aroma going around about me.
Speaker 1: You staring up.
Speaker 8: At little Town.
Speaker 1: The last week or two. This is to tell me why we.
Speaker 8: Eat and trying to deny this feeling.
Speaker 6: I feel it.
Speaker 1: Don't you feel it too?
Speaker 8: There's a aroma going round and round and around what you say?
Speaker 1: We make it true? Make it true? Baby game.
Speaker 4: That's for a combination of like eight hours of sleep between us three.
Speaker 1: It's not too bad, but not too shabby, not too shabby.
Speaker 3: Hey, we came up with we were jamming all your stuff and the wee and and we came up on our drive home last night, delirious came up with a with a uh, with a game, with a game for you, and uh it plays off your song hard to Love, which is always a Billy Montown right. Yeah, he's in there too. Love those guys, a great song. I love those guys, Randy Love. But we were we were jamming that song and I said, man, I think it would be funny or no you did?
Speaker 1: You said, yeah? Was it?
Speaker 2: This year always thinks But this is Actually I probably solid it up a little bit.
Speaker 3: But the concept is what makes you hard to love?
Speaker 1: Right, like what why? And and the way we planning on doing? So how we doing? I'm hard love? Hard love.
Speaker 6: No one don't make it.
Speaker 2: And sometimes I act like I don't smell dirty dappers, I'm hont change them.
Speaker 1: That's you know what I'm saying. You get to get dude. Okay, I do that sounds like me. We had a deal.
Speaker 4: I rub her feet every night. She changed the poopy diapers. Wait said again.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was great.
Speaker 4: Now, I mean unless I was like if I was, you know, with baby by myself I and that poopy happened, I'm like, so, how far are.
Speaker 1: You away from home? Like are you in the grocery store yet, or like something like that.
Speaker 4: If it was within like fifteen minutes twenty minutes, you know, might stretch it. You know, I had to change a couple. But for the most part, Look, I'm talking about rubbing her feet every single night when before you goes a bit like for real massage, and it's still to this day and now she's it's been extended to her hands. So it's like, as soon as I get done with each foot now do her hands, but it pays off. But anyway, yeah, it was a great here's mine. I'm hard of love, hard of love. Don't make it easy.
Speaker 1: I fixed stuff with duct tape.
Speaker 3: And my wife don't think it's fixed if you fix them with duct tape, Like, what what are you fixing? The other day our battery powered vacuum fell over and it broke the suck connector thing, the sucky connector.
Speaker 1: Well, I slip together dted.
Speaker 2: It perfect, and she so you ain't never take it off, Like if you want to get in between the cats cushions, you don't do it.
Speaker 1: An't happen with that, you don't do it.
Speaker 3: So she comes in, she goes, is it time for a new vacuum? I was like, how that one's fixed. She's like, it's got duct tape on it. I was like, yeah, exactly fixed right with that?
Speaker 1: All right? You're up?
Speaker 4: Oh lord, hard hard I don't make it.
Speaker 8: Why.
Speaker 11: I thinks they got so much stuff powered up, but I know exactly where everything is, and you don't believe me.
Speaker 1: So much stuff.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I know where my at No, no, right, it's it's organized, kr, I got it. Yeah, you know what I mean sorry, let's go another round.
Speaker 1: I'm hard love, hard love. No, I don't make it easy.
Speaker 2: I string her clothes because I don't know what's nothing supposed to go on the dryers decent. I don't man, i'ma I'm gonna throw it in there, cold wash, throw it in the dryer, warm it up hot as it can go.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I'm sorry, it fits our dune. Sorry, hard love, hard love. No, I don't make it easy.
Speaker 3: I leave hair all over the sink when I shaved my beard.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Sometimes I don't have time to get I almost wanted to.
Speaker 4: Make an invention, but a tower works. But like I thin, it like molds over your sink. You shave and then you just take you.
Speaker 1: Just go dunk. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used toilet paper. I do like strip I do like four or five strip power.
Speaker 4: I mean paper towels work back. Yeah, you got to get the service. That's why I said a whole towel, the whole town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, towns. You got to go outside, like yes, yeah, you're up last one.
Speaker 8: I'm hard and hard.
Speaker 11: I don't make it, and I swear I smelled good because I showered yesterday morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I almost did that one. I almost did that one.
Speaker 4: I mean it's only fin. I mean I showered yesterday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm fine two days now tonight, what's up?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's only like it lasts.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. It wasn't honest, I didn't do anything. I sweat right right, Yeah, I'm fine with that. I'm good with that. Dude, she's not apparently. I love it. I love that savment.
Speaker 10: I'll go to that.
Speaker 3: But why does he sounds so good even faking around? He sounds like a billion dollars ten fifty?
Speaker 1: This is stupid.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: You're a killer. Dude, Man, you're a killer. You're a vocal kill.
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 4: I'm impressed? Like y'are singing like I love the church harmonies, the church. But it is and a lot of people don't get that.
Speaker 1: They don't.
Speaker 4: And siblings is a big thing too. Well, my mom and all their sisters they actually cut a record when they were children in Nashville.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, the Lewis Trio. That's awesome.
Speaker 4: My mama's maiden name is Lewis is where Lewis got his name. Yeah, and they they were real and to this day, this year's it's a lot different this year and last year because they're kind of getting to some ages where they've got some real health stuff and they're getting older. But man, my whole life consisted of every holiday. Anytime the whole family got together, they were full on for an hour or to sit around in Henry's flampn they would do their parts, sing every gospel song you can ever imagine.
Speaker 1: They remembered every word. They did it all the time.
Speaker 5: There.
Speaker 4: But they would start bigger now supposed to listen you you why your flat low read?
Speaker 1: Pick it up?
Speaker 10: Pantons, judy, you know, on top of the note, you don't pay attention.
Speaker 4: Now let's go girls, here we go. The note is here, you're here. She would go, that's too low, Okay, let's go up, just transposed just immediately.
Speaker 1: I'm like that was called playing by air yea. Yeah, we played by her for sure, saying by her, that's it.
Speaker 4: It is a it is a family at church. It's harmonies were just as natural to me as a melody.
Speaker 3: You know, I think harmonies are more natural to me than lead because Reid was always like the lead guy, you know, and we there was four of us, and we all sang harmony. When we were in church so much that we got bored and we would learn each other's parts and before we knew it, you know, read you take the baritone, I'll take alto Yeah, yeah, let's do it a half step down and uh, the low were offtive and that's that was just just a yeah.
Speaker 4: My daddy is still to this day in a gospel quartet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and.
Speaker 4: The believers. But it's funny.
Speaker 1: They were the glory.
Speaker 4: They were a glory road, and now we're getting in there.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: They it's like the old school. They stand up, you know, they have a little have a little bit like and so you know, Daddy sang you know, Daddy, he sang bass because nobody else could. And then but like in this one thing, it's funny because like if I got you know, I told you where I got from my mama, right like this kind of like believe me when I sing to you, you know. And then Daddy they never sing until he married Mama. And then all of a sudden, I'm watching Daddy like and he can he's singing these just range because he's sing based because nobody else could.
Speaker 1: He just learned how to you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I'm like ten years old learning how to do that, you know, but yet you know I can, and so he could so in his things that he said he's the bass singer, but like certain songs like the lead singer or the tendor guy couldn't actually do it. So he would just do flip it like and he would be singing tenor parts, you know, because it just needed to be covered because they wanted to do the song.
Speaker 1: And so he's got this range.
Speaker 2: But you have that, dude, you Yeah, listening to you, there ain't no doubt. Let me get it from I think what makes you next level? Like vocalists even in Nashville, like which is arguably the best vocalist in the world. I feel like the reason you were next level is because there's no what was the one we were listening, Uh, the the Garth Brooks song he wrote.
Speaker 1: More than You.
Speaker 8: Monster, but that but that.
Speaker 3: Chorus, the chorus, there's a there's a gradual Yeah, it starts and there's no loss of power. Uh, when you're making that move and and it's I mean usually if you have somebody like that, there's a there's a week spot something, there's a week stuff, you know, and you can kind of hear it. Bro, you got it, dude, you got an unbelievable gift. And I know you're going to credit your family and your church to to carving that out of you. But man, it's special, Bro, You're special.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: I appreciate man, I honestly, it's some some of it comes from if I'm just thinking I'll top man. It's like kind of being selfish because it just feels physically good to do that. It's like the reason I recorded Love Like Crazy was because I listened to, you know, growing up here in big long notes, right, and then like Vwa McCain, like an i'lb right, one of my heroes in South Carolina, you know.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: When I heard Love Like Crazy for the first time, I was like, Okay, cool, it's really great song. I sidn't up it was quite tough enough, but then I said, you know what, let me put a vocal on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As my producer wrote it. He never pushed a song on me ever, and he didn't push this one. He said just before I pitched this, I just want you to hear it. The only time I ever did it, I said, let me put a vocal, And when I got to that chorus love like I went, Okay, let's go, let's cut it, you know what I mean. And it was to this day I get on stage and people just, oh, it's a monster. They love that song and that. But that makes me physically feel good to do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: It's like of like.
Speaker 1: Scratching an itch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like connected and as a as a creator, when you're able to connect with something that you're making up in your own head or your own melodies or your own words, like bro, that's what that's what turns us on.
Speaker 1: That's why we get That's why we do it. But you ever did you ever did you ever think you would you'd be here? Like?
Speaker 2: Did you ever think you'd have hit after hit after hit of just iconic songs and and and be a part of of a of a generation of music, yea fabric of country music forever.
Speaker 4: I mean, I don't know how to say that without say this without sounding you know you Just the truth is I was a kid and I I absolutely did like I was I'm going to this is what I'm gonna do. And you know, I think I do believe in you know, manifesting anything like say you want to be the guy and you want to be go down in history and be a great, say country singer, like not just to and make it for fame.
Speaker 1: It was just I want to.
Speaker 4: I want people to I want to be one of the best, right or I wanted I'm gonna be a great cook one day, even if you didn't come from a family of cooks, or I want to like you. It's power of positive thinking. And then obviously you got to follow that with working harder than everybody else, you know, and like sacrificing and taking risk and all that, and so yeah, I honestly I came to town and I was in town one day and I met Lisa Hensley, who's now Lisa Johnson, Doug's wife. She was over publishing company. And I was staying with this girl like she was just a friend of mine. And I came for spring break just to visit Nashville for the first time, and she goes, who are you? This other her roommate came in and I was just sitting on the couch with their couch playing shit, who are you? I was like, I'm just I'm friend of Mary Alice's. She goes, what were you just saying? I was like, I just think I wrote. You know, she was all the back and tire Reabe's knees actually, and so she she goes, play me another song. So I played another song. She's like, okay, you need to meet my boss. And so the next day I go to this building, the roy Obston Building, and Lisa's just laid out I never met. Was in the little office and she was running the publishing company. And she's and she says, go, well, Lee, you know, it's good to meet you. Come and sit down, you know, play me a song.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: She's so positive, just you know, she's like my mama in Nashville. You know, I always has been since, you know. And so I met her and she said, well, you know, so she says, I played her a couple of songs and she said, okay wait. She like took her phone off the hooks supposed to be like a fifth team at me. And I was there for like two hours just playing. But about after a song or two, she went, okay to stop.
Speaker 1: She's like, all right, so who are you? Where are you from? And then she's like, what what do you want to do?
Speaker 4: And I just I mean, and I said, I said, I want to be Garth Brooks. She's like, oh, like Garth Brooks. I said yeah, she said, well I think you can be. She said, I want to introduce you to my fiance. And that night went to that remember the best Western that was over there that had the little song writer around right across some tin roof. Now it's all gone. And I went in there and Doug was in there and I met him. That's the same night. The next morning I went and I had never co written anything with anybody. I just always been writing since I was ten by myself. Went in there and he said, played me a song, and then he said, I'll play you. When he played me, he said, I wrote this last week. It was three wooden Crosses. I'm like, okay, I'm going on you know. Then I don't even to play skin, you know, like and I'm like, okay, but that's where it all.
Speaker 1: But yeah I did. I was like, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I didn't have a backup play. I mean I did technically if I wanted it. Daddy wanted me to run his electrician business. But and I was in college for four years for civil engineering, and but I just knew this what it.
Speaker 1: Was going to be. And I Yeah, I did it. I expected it. Yeah, that's awesome. You know, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: It's like, we asked that question a pretty good bit in this podcast, and a lot of people say that and they all start with man.
Speaker 1: It's a common thread.
Speaker 3: They're like, I don't know if I need to say this because I sound kind of braggy when I said, but I always knew I was going.
Speaker 1: Everybody says exactly what you said. It's crazy, it's pretty numb.
Speaker 2: And I asked that question because I feel the same way, man, Like I knew that it was gonna something was going to happen, and even in my life now, but this day, looking into my future for my family and where we want to be in ten fifteen years, I see myself where ye where I dream a little bit, you know, absolutely.
Speaker 1: And I think that's that.
Speaker 2: That's good of you to say that, is like put yourselves in those in those pictures in your head, you know, and and let them come, let him come true, work at him, worked hard trying to make them come true, and good a chance they will.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Yeah, that's cool. That's cool. Hey, talk about your cry, talk about the song that's out man. Uh, Dallas.
Speaker 3: I was about to say some some just absolute trash wrote that song.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dude, Dallas came over to the farm to the studio and he was actually I brought him over because I was like, hey, I want you to hear some of the stuff I'm doing on the record. I just want you to, you know, I want to hear your opinion on because you know, he's a real like hit factor kind of guy. Like, yeah, not necessarily totally, he's not and I don't dance kind of guy. Not ninety nine point nine percent to this day, he'll tell you he's like, I've never written a song like I don't dance. Yeah, I just I don't write those, you know. It's just all that that's his thing, right, he got ninety five thousand number ones. But he's over there going through some music and he and he was like, yeah, it just randomly said I got some me and me and Teddy Swims. Teddy Swims was just standing, I think I was, And I was like, what what is it. He's like, well, that's his song cry, you know, And I said play for him. Were you in the studio? He said, oh, okay, and it just plays a song. I was like, and it's his demo. You know, he sings.
Speaker 1: He's an army guy. He's a great singer. You wouldn't say he's a killer. He's a vocal killer. And I'm like, so Teddy Swims is recording.
Speaker 4: He said I was going to record it, and then Teddy said he wanted to record it, so he wants to do it with me. And I said, I said, well, is he going to? I mean I think so, you know, I said, well, why don't you do it with me? I mean, you're not an artistda Yeah? Literally, He's like, how I bet he would?
Speaker 5: You know? Bah?
Speaker 4: I said, well, I tell you this, I don't care whether he or anybody else, but I will cut that song tomorrow on my own for this record, probably first single type thing, because it's just got this really throwback.
Speaker 1: I mean it's.
Speaker 4: Legitimately like this fifties duot which when Jared and I got together started, I mean I started building the track. I wanted to pay homage to that fifties duop thing, but also put some you know, put some new on it and some some like heavier my kind of soul, you know, like and man and it's cry I mean it releases I mean kill the Ranges, and I just love it, and and I knew, I know that things kind of in Nashville, trends kind of go around, and sometimes you could be one hundred miles from one of the other people and you might write the same song or type of song or titles even kind of start getting written because you know, people see movies and they kind of go through the everybody's seeing the same world go by everythingday. So I'm thinking, you know what if I'm if I've been here long enough to know this is if somebody wrote because they had like a fifties sort of that groove and was that and the demo and I thought, well, somebody else has got to be doing it too, So I need this. I need to need to be the first single because if I do it, if I put this out after somebody else possibly goes and does it, nobody cares, then it just doesn't look like came something cool. But I loved it, and so we did it that way, and it's it's getting shipped to radio in like a week.
Speaker 1: Nice it's you talk about the studio.
Speaker 2: And that's one thing that like I'm impressed, you know by you for is that your creative process and going in and actually being not just showing up and singing a vocal, like you want to be ground floor of seeing the whole, Like, give us a little bit of that process and where you going.
Speaker 4: It starts for me that like now because I have the studio and I have a studio, I've built a studio bum on two hands, like you know at the farm, and I got a studio on the bus so that I can get worked out of there. But like for me, it starts the second I start writing a song. I start like a lot of my record has a lot of the stuff that I recorded when I was writing it on the bus or in the studio, because I just go ahead and record an acoustic. It's like like one of them girls there, the head leg acoustic that was literally the first thing that came out of anybody's sound that came out that night. I had an eye.
Speaker 1: I just I didn't have an idea.
Speaker 4: I just felt like I needed to write a song that night, and I was recording, like I had a big tracking session for my singles already picked out. The next morning I got there. About once a year, I'll get this weird feeling at nine or ten, and I'm like, I feel like writing a song. I called Dallas and Ashley, you know, let's go. I made up so we wrote, but we got in the room and the first thing I did was d and just recorded with that some seven just like this. Next morning we got in we they you know, a couple of co producers, Kyle and and Ben. They were like, well, this is we have to record this song. Yeah, and they're like, why do you do this to us? I was like, I was like, I already got the tracks ready to go.
Speaker 1: Let's wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well at the end of the day that stay that riff, the actual one that I played in that So I've got so many things that I do while I'm writing the song because I've always heard it in my head anyway. But back in the day, you didn't have most people didn't have. You didn't write in the studio around here. You wrote in a room. You'd get a work tape on your tape deck or your phone at some point, you know, or your computer, and you didn't really have a chance. And that's why I started bringing like electric guitars and amps and like, uh, like a speaker with a drum program on my phone so I could like by that time, you've got to if you got some drums going a grove and then you have an electric guitar or something like that on it, it might as well. It might as well kind of sound like a band, so you can kind of But I always hear what the song's gonna be as I'm writing it, so I now I'll basically record it as I'm writing it, and then I might add that maybe that if I need a full band to come in or if I need to, which I always do that, and then pick and choose between the two and kind of like make it out to together. But I it's one process for me, and then getting it out on stage is the last nugget, and it's like, now I get to take this and see what because it's a whole different thing when he gets on the stage from you know, but it's all one thing. People are like, you like songwriting the best, or you're like producing, or you're like singing. I'm like living all one thing, and since I was a kid, that's always been one thing.
Speaker 3: I just feel impressed of you brought up Kyle Man, and I don't want to you can totally shoot this down if you want to our Nashville song arounding community lost a gem of a human and h to to a mental health battle and he was real close to you, And I don't Like I said, Man, I'm not trying to pry, and we can cut this completely out, But what encouragement can you give to people who are who are going through things that are just trying to trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And like I said, Man, I ain't looking for no clickbait. I'm not trying to We genuinely try to help people on this podcast with some of the stuff go through the stress of the business and the stress of life. I mean, how you know, how could how could he have? How could we have?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: The only I mean, you know, that's one of those things you can never have answers to as like you know, right, like why you know?
Speaker 1: Like I had no idea?
Speaker 4: And then you go, well, maybe I should have looked a little harder, maybe I'd have seen some things. But were you guys best friends or yeah, we were like soul mate brothers. And uh, I mean I would say the one thing I don't understand. I would say that you know if somebody's going through stuff and you're like a lot of people like he was like the strongest, toughest.
Speaker 1: He might as want he want to be a Navy seal.
Speaker 4: Like this guy was like untouchable and positive and like praying with you every chance he got in the middle of Walmart if you felt like, hey, man, let's pray. I mean, just this the opposite of what you would think. And so he was also stubborn and he wasn't gonna burden anybody or talk to anybody about, yeah, any problem his insides. And I would just say, you know, if you're going through something, you know a lot of times you're not going to be able to do it on your own at the end of the day. And that's proof, Kyle's proof of that. And so I would just encourage you to at least can fight in a friend or somebody and like act should I let them know, just voice it, I think, because sometimes we're all we're so close off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, he's cool, it's Kyle.
Speaker 3: Sure, it's fine for sure, especially in like tough god culture ryes like we you know, I mean, dude, bro dear hunting, music, singing, chicken gun wrestling, and wife.
Speaker 4: I broke to Kyle's ribs. You know, he always wanted to fight me and he was always really little. I'm like, dude, stop trying to fight me. You get a broken bone. I broke his ankle on time, and he did it. I mean, he broke his own stuff and he we you know, we talked about his wife can was. I said, he attacked me off. He's just this big beast, a little beast of a man. But yeah, that tough culture growing up and sure, man, but you that's the ones aren't gonna say anything. And I could be if I was in a state like that, I can see myself being like, I'm not gonna like I'm good.
Speaker 1: I'm not a thousand people about it. I want to overcome it. I'll fix it.
Speaker 4: I'm overcoming. Yeah, I'm good, But like, you know, just talk about it.
Speaker 3: I think we're in a day and age where you can talk about it, man, and it's not viewed as like a weak.
Speaker 4: Thing, and like it's almost stronger to be able to go to be able to go there. You know what, man, I need I need to talk to you.
Speaker 3: And you know what, I find myself identifying with more people like that, that that that that admit I don't have it figured out.
Speaker 1: I don't have it all. Figure.
Speaker 2: Let's be honest, man, we're all even in this industry or whatever industry, it is life in general. Man, sure we all go through some of that stuff and maybe to not not to that extent, but like we all feel that pressure at times. We all feel that anxiety.
Speaker 8: We all have this.
Speaker 2: Battle that demons that we're battling, and and and yeah, that's that's a great that's a great word man to to just as hard as it is, man, be be vulnerable, be open.
Speaker 1: Be open to talk about it.
Speaker 4: Tell somebody something, you know, you've got to tell somebody, Hey, I'm I'm literally having these thoughts of you know, you know, aiming that far. Just just vocalize, Man, I'm having a hard time. Man, I ain't sleeping at night. I'm i feel like I'm being a you know, spiritually attacked, you know, and I'm scared to walk in my own house like talk about this stuff with somebody. So you go, Okay, whoa, bro, let's talk about it. You know, that way, somebody is aware of it and they can maybe be of support with you. You know, if you've got a good friend, They're gonna support you, ain't gonna like call you a you know, I mean yeah, like, okay, whoa dude?
Speaker 1: I got you? What's up? One thousand percent? Man? I mean we're lucky.
Speaker 3: We're we spend so much time together and have literally shared a bedroom until eight years ago, we shared a boat. But you kind of, you know, we were lucky to kind of get to, you know, talk about what's going on. I always had some even if you didn't want to or not, you had somebody in your face. Yeah, so you end up talking about it. But I think it's such a important thing to bring to light, especially you know, as a big, old tough football beard guy that you are and that we are. It's like, man, being vulnerable and and being honest and and being able to communicate is so important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially for the mental state.
Speaker 4: Because we lost there's not another human being that guy.
Speaker 3: You know, he's a pillar, the pillar of the of the community in the town. And we still love him, you know, and we love you.
Speaker 4: He's still helping his songs that are still around in his totally the people he touched in positive ways absolutely just kind of.
Speaker 1: And continue to touch and still right. Yeah, So why didn't me to get too personally.
Speaker 9: I know you.
Speaker 3: I know you want to help folks where you can, and we do too, and and just want to encourage folks out there to talk to somebody if you need to.
Speaker 1: Uh well, well, well I know.
Speaker 2: We've kept you here a long time, but uh we'll uh you Me and my guitar tour coming twenty twenty five acoustic headlining The Rhymen on tour to eighteen.
Speaker 1: What uh what was your thought process? I'm just I'm just putting a guitar with you, and you know, and.
Speaker 4: I've always been the guy like I played so many places. I never did get on like Broadway and get in the band thing.
Speaker 1: And like do that stuff.
Speaker 4: But I would go play at a Mexican restaurant for four hours alone, or I go play at a you know, you know, just by myself.
Speaker 1: That's what I did, me and my guitar.
Speaker 4: You know, I would sit like a bunch of covers and I'd play a bunch of my original stuff. And and that's how I just always up my teeth. I was by myself when I was writing songs for ten years before I came to Nashville, you know, And.
Speaker 1: I always wanted to do it, but I I didn't. I never just I never understood like how do I do it?
Speaker 4: And it actually is cool, you know, like don't sit up there for two hours and just sit on a stool and play guitar like and sing. And so I went to I went to see John Mayer in Atlanta, and and obviously I'd seen kind of Garth walk around do his thing, like you know in Vegas where he's like going through this story and kind of it was more about about a musical journey for him, and he's it's like this thing, it's like this flowing. When I saw John Mayer, he kind of was on the stool, but then he kind of had another little space over here and he'd go over there and there was another guitar. He'd go over there, and there's another Like I had these couple and I thought, you know, that's and so I kind of honestly took those two ideas and then made my you know, just thought about my own story from the time I was talking about Aunt Henry teaching me, oh, how I Love Jesus when I was seven and singing for the church till.
Speaker 1: Right now, and.
Speaker 4: I have kind of different stations on the stage and there's I wanted it to be just as like just as worth the ticket price by myself. I wanted to be something special, not just me sitting there is it would be if I was there with a full band and I didn't know how I was going to go.
Speaker 1: I was scared to death. It's like because I don't.
Speaker 4: Usually, but I actually stepped out a little bit because I've never I've never ever like planned out any type of thought process of sort of what I'm gonna say on stage or any of that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Gar so great at that right it's like he just flows and he but he didn't. That's I don't think that's just off the cuff. I think he thinks about that, you know, and like has a little bit a little bit of an outline, an outline, you know.
Speaker 1: And so I did that.
Speaker 4: Jared Neman actually sitting down with me, and I said, man helped me like kind of. So we said down and we wrote out stories this song and you can go in and talk about this and do this story when you met. So this like all the way down through and so I had this whole long thing drawn out and then got up there had this set figured that out and I know how I was going to go.
Speaker 1: And I got up there the first time and.
Speaker 4: It was like two and a half hours went by in a blink of an eye, and people were laughing badly laughing, people were balling their eyes out, people were, you know, an experience man there and it's you know, just me and normally, you know, I wont stays I'm going, man, you know, ninety minutes or if I was acoustic, I'm like, you know, I'm up there two and a half hours alone and like gone quit. And it was the best time of my life. And I had so many people who had been a million of my concerts, full band and stuff that were like, this is my favorite thing we've ever seen you do by far.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: It just turned out magic, like completely magical. I want to come see yeah, man, I mean it's something I'm gonna do forever.
Speaker 1: Wow. That's awesome cool.
Speaker 4: And like I said, it's not just a guy sitting on a stool playing at that same I go grab other guitars, I tell the stories behind them, or I'll can tell the story about you know, my kids and all these different stories. And I mean, honestly, I leave off I'm only play. I don't play all the hits, you know, I really I play some covers. I play Oh Jesus, I mean, there's there's that's my whole life, I mean. And so the only problem with it is I realized that I basically told every single thing about myself. So whenever I run out of places to play with this tour, else to tell you, you got it all play twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Well dude, we love you. We're coming on. It's coming on.
Speaker 2: We do one last thing at the end of these shows, and it's it's a it's your favorite song, so like a song that it was greatest slash your favorite.
Speaker 1: We used to ask people what's the greatest thing? This was too heavy because it's like the greatest song of all favorite It was kind of the same thing. So it's it's just the blend of like a corner you know.
Speaker 4: That's a very difficult, very huge question, especially if you're like the greatest song ever, right, it's possible.
Speaker 3: So I think the way we were the question is basically like what's a cornerstone country song in your life when you think about the past twenty years, Like, what's just a song that and and uh, it doesn't. It's not like what you've written or what you've sang. It's just what's a song? You don't have to be country mean whatever, I mean, Please tell me you're riching for this guitar.
Speaker 5: To do it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I can give you a piece of something. I mean, I'm just trying to think of a totally didn't mean I was reaching for it, but I was.
Speaker 5: Not.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. That's a good move. This is a good one too, dude. This is the first time we ever used it here, well like a corner stuff.
Speaker 4: For me, it really made me the connection because I told you about the connection.
Speaker 3: He's a connector. He's a connector, even with the twenty twenty five tour. Dude, that's connected. It's it's what's that.
Speaker 1: And I know we talked about a lot, but it's that church influence, right, It's that feeling.
Speaker 4: It's there's more about the communication of the song, his singing of the song. And so my first big experience with that other than church, you know, I was like the eleven ten or eleven I got my first like alarm clock.
Speaker 1: Radio, you know, a little wooden one with the red light. Yeah, red lebh and so excited.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean I had it in my you know, I got my own bedroom finally me and you know, we had a like a you know, shared bathroom up top of a log cabin had you know, to Drewsy and my own room had a bed.
Speaker 1: It had like a headboard with like shelves in it. This is the coolest thing. I made it like a double bed doing it, not a twin anymore.
Speaker 4: And at that thing, and I remember I was laying there and I heard I heard Garth Brooks come on the radio, and I was just like and through even through the radio. You know, he's like a master communicator. Like when you heard him sing, it didn't matter where it came from. You were just listening. Yeah, you know, just a big rocking song. But you know, I mean everybody strives to I mean, I got a billion And he was a big influence on why I wanted to do this. I saw, I'm seventeen.
Speaker 3: We must be close to the same age because he was like major influency on my stuff.
Speaker 1: It's just.
Speaker 4: I loved it because he had he was diverse too, Like sure at that time. It is kind of like the way thing you know, this this Wow, this guy Garth Brooks. You know lapel Mark, what she doing in the country. That sounds pretty country people like it to people.
Speaker 1: But uh, I remember when I learned this.
Speaker 4: If I can remember all of it, you know you forget the national anthem in front of pus.
Speaker 1: I'm excited already looking by the dance ship.
Speaker 7: Scars forready all all the world was right? How could I have no.
Speaker 1: That you ever say good bye?
Speaker 9: And uh I'm glad I the wedold the way old, like better than left in your change. I couldn't missed thing.
Speaker 8: I had to me.
Speaker 1: Dude, you did it right? Then, you did it right. Then that took me somewhere, dude, take you back.
Speaker 4: Guys pretty deep, But I mean you can't you know a little note about that. And I've thought about this a bunch of times and people are like, you know, you'd have to write your own songs, Like, yeah, I'd love to write every single song, because I mean I love to write songs. I think I write pretty good and get I get the job done. But I also came up in the school of write songwriter in Nashville, like and understand that there is a billion songs out there every single day.
Speaker 1: That are amazing.
Speaker 4: So if you are an artist and you don't go listen to songs outside, I think you're an idiot, because I mean I found some of the biggest things in my life because I listened to thousands of songs, even though it might only be one or two that make my record, because they are special. I drive your truck, you know, drinking class, you know, hard to love. But and I thought about it, And Garth is a great writer. You look at the songs he wrote, and you're like, and he's just he's a genius in so many ways. But he did not write friends in those places. He did not write the dance, And if you think about it, I'm sure he's probably thought about this, like who knows what his career would have been without the dance, Friends of the places?
Speaker 1: Who knows? Who knows? I mean, he still might have been who knows, But those songs different level iconic.
Speaker 4: And he was smart enough to go find him too, even though he could write them all day long.
Speaker 1: But he was smarter to that.
Speaker 4: And I just encourage any artists to listen to this. Don't don't be hardheaded and think you all all right these I just want to be to pride. If that pride is that's not pride. That's just like to me, it's like kind of like like an idiot, it's just being dumb.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 4: You got you got Tom Douglas over here writing like you know, life changing songs every single day.
Speaker 1: Listen to them at least at least spin them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so well man, as a lunch pale songwriter, we appreciate you saying that because it literally is what puts butter on our biscus is being able, you know, to have artists cut outside songs or at least listen to something that maybe be inspired.
Speaker 1: And yeah, come, come on, you're the freaking man. Dude, you're freaking y'all are awesome and I am.
Speaker 4: I appreciate y'all stopping your duck hunt driving over here just to hang out with me and anybody.
Speaker 1: Go get in your truck and drive that. I just can't believe you'll do that just for you.
Speaker 4: They come with us next year. I would love to bring some money the dates. I'll trade you a date. You give me that date, I'll give you the date for the dove hunt. Come it's great, sounds great, let's get it. Maybe we can write a song in there. Sometimes, man on the studio, you kill the doves off the back porch of the studio.
Speaker 8: Trust.
Speaker 2: That's hey, everybody, Thanks for hanging out with us in God's Country. Y'all go check out Lee Brice's new song cry. Check him out on the road.
Speaker 1: You me and my guitar.
Speaker 2: We're gonna come see that show. Yeah, I can't wait. Please hanging out God's Country. We'll check out next time.