Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Stat of the Day brought to you by Pennini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. I could never I could never lose you.
Speaker 3: I hurt my feelings for a moment, but then I realized you if I'm better not.
Speaker 2: I can't quit you. I've tried, but I can't quit you. I appreciate we are together forever.
Speaker 3: That's a lovely sentiment that you.
Speaker 2: Just well for the next here, the next three years, well, Christmas Eve twenty twenty, that's it. Then then lose my number.
Speaker 3: Yeah, its ago never.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: If you're watching on Peacock, thank you for downloading the app, we say good morning. If you're listening on our radio affiliates. iHeartRadio Fox Sports Radio over four hundred cities brave enough to carry this program. We'll talk to future Hall of Famer Justin Verlander, who quietly signed with the Giants in the off season. He'll join us coming up. I an Eagle, one of our favorites TNTCBS play by play voice. He was on the call with the Golden State Warriors in the Garden against the Knicks last night and Steph Curry and the Warriors picked up yet another whim A seven seven three DP show operator Tighters sitting by. You take your phone calls. Let's see pull question from our one and then what are we going with an hour two?
Speaker 4: Well hour one?
Speaker 5: We had one sort of pop up there last minute organically, if you will. Oh, and it is controversial. Oh boy, better movie the Godfather or Goodfellas? Okay, right now we're at about a sixty forty Godfather to Goodfellas. Okay, earlier it was the exact same, but Goodfellas to Godfather okay, polarizing, Okay, I like to call it Godfellas, you know, like combine them, combine them both.
Speaker 4: I like the movie. I like Goodfellas. I did. I liked it. I didn't love it. I'm just saying yes to how much?
Speaker 6: And you're like what I used to call good Fellows all the type until like today, now it's good Fellas all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had to call you out. That's right. You know we're all thinking it, and I'm going to verbalize it. I'm much shot. You just kicked me to the curb like three minutes ago. So are you gonna get that.
Speaker 4: I jokingly kipped you to the curb. You're being mean.
Speaker 7: She was meant to be mean.
Speaker 5: Spirit Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm gonna say we think.
Speaker 3: Father are good fellows? Which one? I don't know which one I like more?
Speaker 4: You know what those? If I said Godfather better? Oh it is?
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 5: Is it fair to say that you have a little bit of a blind spot for that genre of movie Mafia?
Speaker 4: I'm say no, no, I do I do? I do you do?
Speaker 5: Because you didn't really like the Sopranos, You're not really into any of the like the big ones, like you ever seen Donnie Brasco?
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you? Yeah, it's a good movie. Yeah, okay, once again, I've been married thirty seven years. I've been in the family for thirty nine years. You never talked about the mafia, even though you probably could find somebody in the family tree who could have been married to somebody who might have been affiliated with I don't know, the teflon don Oh yes, okay, yeah, So it never came up. It just never came up, and if it did, it was it quickly dissipated, and so therefore it's not you know, you get around sometimes you say, hey, have you seen that movie, and that never comes up with any of those movies with my wife's side of the family.
Speaker 7: So that's all all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 9: Yes, Paul, let's play or count this. If the Godfather is Tom Brady the clear best of all time in the genre, what is Goodfellas? What quarterback would Goodfellas be?
Speaker 2: I'll let you guys decide that, because I might go Ben Roethlisberger.
Speaker 9: I'd probably go Joe Montana because the work is similar, the resumes are a little better, like the Godfather resume is a little better than the Goodfella's resume.
Speaker 5: But Goodfellas never lost in the super Bowl, never lost in the super Bowl.
Speaker 2: If you know, yes, did Godfather three cost them?
Speaker 4: Was there four in there too?
Speaker 10: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but yeah, maybe they Maybe they stayed around too long, they played too long, and you know they they had a Hall of Fame career, an all time career, and then they gave us Godfather three.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Godfather one is Joe Montana, Godfather two is Steve Young. Godfather three is whoever followed those two guys with the Niners.
Speaker 2: Jim Drunken Miller no offense, Yeah, Jim Drunken Miller.
Speaker 5: It was like, if you see that commercial where it's all the old football players sitting around, They're like, Hey, why don't we run it back one more time? I bet we can still this like Marino, Rice, Emmitt Smith. That's what the Last Godfather was, like, why don't we run it back one more time? How bad could it be?
Speaker 11: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it turns out awful.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show. So are we going to go with a new poll question here for hour or two?
Speaker 5: Well, I'm sort of populating one from something we were talking about an hour one two of the most unbreakable sports records. But we have too many options. We have way too many options. I think Emmett is on there. I think Cal Ripkin consecutive game streak. I don't know how anybody's ever gonna bring.
Speaker 2: It because Cal didn't have load management. We nowadays gotta have a you know, even the manager WI. Yeah, I'm going to give you.
Speaker 4: A day off, even if you're not managing your load.
Speaker 5: You need to get incredibly lucky to be that good for that long, to play that many games without getting hurt at all, even if you're not trying to sit out any games and rest.
Speaker 9: Yes, Cal Ripkins record is so safe that, let's say a star player for a team was twenty six, twenty seven to twenty eight, the manager would be criticized for playing them one hundred and sixty two games, like you're burning out your best player. That it would that is as safe as it gets.
Speaker 2: And we were talking about the movies, the big game or the big moment that ends with a loss, like Rocky, Bad News, Bears, Friday Night Lights, Moneyball, Tin Cup, League of their Own. If you're Russian Miracle on ice like that one in Russia.
Speaker 9: Of that movie, you walk into the theater like this is not gonna.
Speaker 2: But I wonder if they look at it like, hey, you know what, you kind of like a movie sometimes it doesn't end with a victory. I don't know if the Russians feel that same way that I do, that it's okay that you have a loss.
Speaker 5: Our time has passed a lot of people confused as who they're rooting for these days too, with that one, that's true.
Speaker 4: Wait, you're rooting for the Russian Wait a minute, no, I thought that we were. I thought which one was the miracle? Yes, Paul, you.
Speaker 9: Ever walk into a theater and you see a movie based on the name and you don't know the background. Imagine you're Russian and you go into the local cineplex like, oh, Miracle, let's go check that out without knowing.
Speaker 4: I don't think it plays at the local cineplex in Russia.
Speaker 2: You don't think they movie theaters of Russia. I don't think they play that. It did not make the cut, No, because they lost. They don't want to show you movies that. They want to show you propaganda.
Speaker 9: Honey, let's get some popcorn and see Miracle.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think the AMC and Kiev for about three or four weeks they had that running there and then they pulled it.
Speaker 3: One time one.
Speaker 9: Realized they were Chicken in Kiev.
Speaker 4: Uh you see what he did, Chicken Kiva in keV they would be rooting for the US. Oh that's yeah, that's right. Okay, well I don't.
Speaker 2: Get the wrong country. All of a sudden, we got political Chris in California. Hi, Chris, how are you today?
Speaker 8: The pub of the morning to you all have a several things for the show. I'd like to offer up a name for Hu's resume, and then I got a uh some mireable stating.
Speaker 12: For Todd.
Speaker 8: I think we can answered resume the Moyle and romentum because we know how to cut off the momentum.
Speaker 3: Show that's not necessary.
Speaker 4: Wow Moyle.
Speaker 8: And for us our stats, we got a Barry Bond was intentionally walked U in the lowest amount of times, more than like three or four franchises in their total history. So I think that would be pretty tough to break.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what what did he get intentionally walk like two hundred times one year, like two thirty two or something crazy pulling.
Speaker 9: He was Barry Bond's peak. Berry Bonds was once walked, just walked two hundred and thirty two games that times in the season that was four. He was intentionally walked one hundred and twenty times that season. That's double the best ever, like the second best ever. I think his poohole set sixty one.
Speaker 4: Jeremy in California, Hi, Jeremy, what's on your mind?
Speaker 11: Hey Dan, you guys were talking about movies earlier.
Speaker 13: Let me get this one thing out of the way.
Speaker 10: First.
Speaker 11: My nine er should immediately shine Darius Slay without hesitation. That dude's stud even at thirty four. But my main thing that triggered me to call you guys today was you were talking about great movies? Might I recommend Sacario and wind River along with Sandlot as a sports movie owning Sandlot. But the producer that answered my call, I was asking.
Speaker 14: Him if you guys might be able to continue to take recommendations on shows or movies that are stream or binge worthy and maybe have a link on your website to aggregate them so people know what where to go to look for new shows to watch when they're done watching everything that they think is we're a stream.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you, Jeremy. I have seen those movies that you brought up. Reacher is very good.
Speaker 4: I like Reacher a.
Speaker 2: Lot and I am watching White Lotus.
Speaker 4: It's it's a slow burn right now? Is that the third season?
Speaker 15: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Is it?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I haven't started the slow burn. It's in Thailand. I'm trying to think what else.
Speaker 5: I just rewatched Beef for the second time. Okay, that's really good. That's really good. It's about this like road rage incident. Speaking of dark, that gets extremely dark.
Speaker 2: I only got through half of the first episode. Oh man, yeah, I know, I know. You gotta get me. And if you don't get me, then I'm going and uh, I usually don't come back.
Speaker 9: Yes, Pauline, I just started a series called Paradise with Sterling K. Brown.
Speaker 4: Heard great things about it.
Speaker 9: Good first episode, huge curveball at the end and it goes a completely different direction, but very good.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, I'm trying to think anything else that.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's see the Jeremy Renner series.
Speaker 4: Mayor of Kingstown. Oh yeah, that good. That was great, That was real good.
Speaker 2: Hacks is really really funny, really funny, very funny. It's kind of based off of Joan Rivers in her career in Vegas, and.
Speaker 4: Jeane Smart is fantastic in that. Yes, she is brilliant.
Speaker 2: She is really and her assistant is the daughter of Lorraine Newman, who was one of the original cast members of Saturday Night Live, and she does a great job as well. Spencer in Texas, Hi, Spencer, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 16: Hey?
Speaker 17: Dan toalking more and see you guys. Just wanted to get a shout out to Brown for hit his fifty thousand, but also wanted to shout out Thomas Harley last night for the game win goal with a doubt started at three point nine seconds less and the.
Speaker 13: Third against the Devils so I just want to give a shout out to those two guys.
Speaker 10: They're fun to watch.
Speaker 4: I appreciate all right, thank you, Spencer.
Speaker 2: It might be the only time that Dallas Starr is put in the same sentence with Lebron James. But big night for Lebron not showing any signs is slowing down. And did you have a bet with us Paulie or prediction that Lebron James that this would be his last year?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we were doing hot takes and I said before the All Star Game, Oh, that's right around the All Star Game, Lebron would announce this is his final season. M hmm, am, I sticking with that, is what you're asking.
Speaker 2: Yes, I tried to watch The Bear That's another one I tried. I think I got three episodes in. I think it was the pace that kind of bothered me.
Speaker 4: Yes time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everyone tells me what I said. I bailed after watching four or five. I was like, you really needed to stick with it. It starts, trust me, it starts getting all up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Seton said that to me, He said, just get through the first season. It's great. I was like, yeah, I pulled the ripcord.
Speaker 5: Yes, Yeah, it's like it like I found it entertaining all the way through, So I mean that might be a difference, but it does sort of like come back and swing around to really just like knock you over the head and you're like, whoa, this is what a series?
Speaker 4: You know? Al in Atlanta? Hi, Al, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Good morning, Dan? One quick thing a show to watch? Severance, great series, you guys, you get on that one. But I am calling because I have to agree with Doug in North Carolina. Hoosiers a little, a little hackey, a little eighties and the the speech that he gives in the replacements is better than the speech he gives in and Hoosiers. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I will not allow this to happen on my watch today, you know, out of respect to Gene Hackman, I will not allow this to happen. We will not denigrate Hoosiers. Not today, Not gonna happen. Still, I got to get Marvin to watch it, all right, you're not helping. I gotta get Marvin. You know, there's I treat Marvel the way I do my kids. Where I go, have you watched? Then they'll go, no, No, you got to watch that and you know, there's probably seven to ten movies where I say to my kids, you should watch that.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark.
Speaker 18: One of my first homework assignments was watching Caddyshack, and I thought it was good. There was funny parts, but the way people were hyping it up, it was like it was the funniest movie ever.
Speaker 7: And some of the jokes.
Speaker 18: Man, there's some Chevy Chase one liners that are great, But to me back to school, Rodney Dangerfield was funnier. So the only thing was people were hyping it up, and I think I was expecting it to be coming to America life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if I said, well, you didn't know at the time that Bill Murray had lived his lines with Chevy, and plus their relationship was an awkward relationship in real life. From Saturday Night Live, I found that interesting. Rodney Dangerfield. Ted Knight was great. Go back to the Mary Tyler Moore show. Ted Knight was Ron Burgundy before Ron Burgundy out the Triton missiles or whatever those things. When they had the gang fight there with all the other news anchors. All right, we're just getting started, I think, or actually we're halfway through.
Speaker 3: We're in there.
Speaker 4: Come on, let's go okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Justin Verlander is going to join us on loan from the San Francisco Giants.
Speaker 4: We'll take a break.
Speaker 2: More phone calls as well, and we'll hear from Lebron James and Steph Curry coming up back after this Dan Patrick show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 19: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together We're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 9: You could catch us.
Speaker 19: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 19: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 4: Going on in the world.
Speaker 19: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too. Take your phone calls, chop it up as they say. I'd say the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the.
Speaker 4: Most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 19: Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: Fritzie is connecting with Justin Verlander. We'll talk to him coming up in a moment. Michael in La Hey, Mike, what's on your mind?
Speaker 7: H Good morning, Daniel, how are you today?
Speaker 4: Good Michael.
Speaker 20: A couple of quick ones for you.
Speaker 21: The unbreakable record that would be Cy Young's seven hundred and forty nine complete games. As much as I love the amazing Justin Verlander, he has twenty six, so not gonna be a broke it anytime soon. And then the quick one about Tatum O'Neal's pitching form. You are absolutely correct, fantastic form. Not quite as good as Nukle Loosh, but definitely better than Tony Dan's and Angels on the outfield.
Speaker 4: All right, thank you, Michael.
Speaker 2: I don't know nu k Leloosh is pitching form not great great character not great form.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, we.
Speaker 9: May have to categorize unbreakable records too. Cy Young is so far off the board, it's not even a discussion like breakable Ish, Jerry Rice's breakable ish.
Speaker 2: Well we should do modern day then, Yes, nobody's gonna average fifty points in a game in the NBA.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: I kind of started like whittling it down to stats based records, Like I get that a complete game is a stat, but it's kind of more of a like longevity thing, just like cal Ripken and consecutive games. So I tried to do it's more about say rushing yards or assists or stolen bases or points per game, that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, because if you did modern you know, I think we look at the NBA, there's two ways to look at it. It's like nineteen eighty, after nineteen eighty or before nineteen eighty when you're looking at stats and maybe even a little bit further back with some of those stats that are probably unbreakable. But I think when burd and Magic came in, that's when I think it kind of started, but yeah, complete games forget about because it's not that important. Now you go five, five and a third. It's like, man, you're a workhorse there. Speaking of which, seguees Justin Verlander just turned forty two years of age. When do you feel forty two?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 15: When I'm forty two, apparently I still feel great, So.
Speaker 7: Get I get out of bed in the morning.
Speaker 15: I keep expecting these ags and pains everybody talks about, but I feel pretty good.
Speaker 2: I'd like that you gave me a nice backdrop there at Scottsdale Stadium.
Speaker 7: We thought about it. You're welcome.
Speaker 4: I appreciate that instead of some stare old room there.
Speaker 2: I like that you got you gotta you got a career as a cinematographer.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 2: Let me start with the automated strike zone. With you having done this for so long and now you see the younger pitchers who were going to grow up with this adapt to this. Is there an upside in your opinion to an automated strike zone?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's upside to it.
Speaker 15: I I like the appeal system over the full automated zone, and the reason being, I think these umpires are are asked to do a really difficult job, and you know they're also the best in the world at it, even though they they're not perfect, but they're you know, that's that's a that's a tough zone to call, especially when guys are throwing one hundred miles an hour with nasty, breaking balls. So I don't want to take away the part of the game that I love, which is catcher framing, you know, the picture, hitting his spot and getting a call because everything everything presented correctly and it looks like a strike, and the umpire calls calls it even though it's maybe a you know, half an inch off and the batter doesn't quite no. So in a in a big spot, in a big spot in the game, maybe he challenges. But if it's the first, second, third inning, nobody really knows if it's if it's actually a ball or strike. So I don't want to take away that part of the game. But I think, you know, there's obviously opportunities where it's an egregiously wrong call where you can turn that over or late in the game in a big spot where you know both sides want to make sure we get it right. Well, I say both sides, but you know, everybody wants to make sure you get it right.
Speaker 2: I saw where Max Sure's there's not a in favor of this, and then I had to laugh because you guys are veterans. You know, you guys got calls like you know, the the umpire might give you the benefit of the doubt, you know, Greg Maddox, Tom Glavin, you sure's are you know, the automated strike zone.
Speaker 4: They don't know who you are.
Speaker 15: You know, I wish they don't. They don't do that anymore for us. You know, you go back, you know when I first came in the game, and you know you had those guys that you mentioned, Rocket Roger, you know, Uh Maddix, Uh Johnson, all those guys.
Speaker 7: You know, you come into a game and it's like, hey, you're gonna have a little bit bigger zone. Today. These guys have earned it, you know, they tell all the hitters that.
Speaker 15: And but with the umpire is being monitored now, they they get even though it's not an automated strike zone, they get they get graded on every single game. So you know, I'm sure some of these older school umpires would like to give us a little bit bigger zone, but we don't get that advantage anymore.
Speaker 7: Unfortunately, I would love it.
Speaker 2: How important is three hundred wins to you? You're a two sixty two?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah, Look, I mean i'd be lying if I said it wasn't it wasn't important. I you know, I see pretty clearly that, you know, unless something changes, that I'd probably the last to have a chance to do it.
Speaker 7: So it's something that is off in the distance. Uh, I'm not I'm not saying that.
Speaker 15: I'm you know, the only reason I'm playing is he at three hundred, I still feel good. I still feel like I can be successful, quite successful. I don't want to go out there and make a fool of myself just to try to try to reach that goal. But you know, I think the injuries that I sustained last last year particularly actually I learned a lot from and you know, I I I think I can be the pitcher that I was three years ago when I won the cy Young So, you know, if three hundred happens, it happens.
Speaker 7: But it's something that like a lot of the things I've I've been able to achieve my career.
Speaker 15: Uh, it just happens because you're out there taking the ball and doing all the right things and just pitching.
Speaker 7: That's it.
Speaker 2: What's the conversation like when you sit down with Kate and you go, well, tell me what the conversations like where you decide you want to play another year?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, she's super supportive.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 15: I'm uh, you know, it's it's getting harder. Our daughter is six now and in kindergarten, so, uh, you got real school happening where they can't just pick up and transplant the family for the baseball season. But you know, she knows how much I care and how how much passion I have for this, and and and and My analogy is.
Speaker 7: You know, I want to set a good example for my daughter.
Speaker 15: And you know, my analogy is like I've spent my entire life training for this marathon.
Speaker 7: I literally since I'm five years old.
Speaker 15: Since I was five, I picked up at baseball and told my parents I wanted to be a major League baseball player. And here I am living my dream and still feel like I can can play at a high level. So you know, I've trained my entire life to be in the middle of this marathon. Here I am running it, and I feel like I'm you know, I don't know how close I am the finish line, but I'm damn close. And and you know what a disservice it would be to me and my you know, my daughter to to to give up now, So you know, I'm going to keep playing and working as hard as I can. And and then talking to my friends, they tell me the guys that are retired, they say, when you know, you know, And I don't.
Speaker 7: Know exactly what that means yet, so that tells me I'm not there.
Speaker 2: He's justin Verlander. And now with the Giants signed a one year deal. Uh do you have to hate the Dodgers more because you're a Giant? Is there a pamphlet that they give you on disliking the Dodgers?
Speaker 20: Uh?
Speaker 15: No, it's more just a vibe, you know. I think you can pick up on it. I'm actually excited.
Speaker 7: I haven't.
Speaker 15: Look, I've had some rivalries, but it's it's it's nothing like this. It doesn't have the history. It's had some just like you know in Detroit there were you know, for a few years, the White Sox were really good and we were battling, and then the Indians and then with Houston, the v A's were really good, and then the Rangers were really good. I haven't had a rivalry like this, so I think just it just happens when you start playing the games against each other and and you just feel it, and the stadium you know, has that atmosphere to it that's just different.
Speaker 7: Feels like a playoff game. I'm pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: If you could take one pitch off, and you know pitchers in your era, So if it's somebody's fastball, somebody's breaking ball, somebody slider, uh, give me, give me who you would uh.
Speaker 4: You would pick? And which which pitch?
Speaker 15: Geez uh does it have to I mean I would love Lemon splitter.
Speaker 7: That would be yeah, all right, all right that I.
Speaker 15: Have a hard time, Like my changeup hasn't been a pitch I've been able to utilize much the last like five or six years, even though I threw it a lot when I was younger. I don't have a pitch that really moves that way. So that would be that would be lovely if I could use that.
Speaker 4: Okay, but what about curveball? What about fast I.
Speaker 7: Mean Kersh's Curseh's curveball. You know iconic tea.
Speaker 4: Can you teach Kershaw's curveball.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 15: I think this is actually a problem that a lot of people fall into. It's a trap where everybody with all of the analytics now you can find out.
Speaker 7: You can watch video.
Speaker 15: You can see exactly how he throws it and and the spin that he gets on it, just like any other's any other anybody else's pitch. But I think there's something innate with the way that you throw a baseball. It's like the gate of a horse, you know, like it's just so unique to you, and that's what allows you to be successful at certain things. You know, you talk about a fastball, I would want. I want my fastball. I think my fastball is one of the one of the best, if not, you know, it's one of the best in the history.
Speaker 7: Of it's uh So, I think that's just how I.
Speaker 15: Throw a baseball though. It's just what I was born to do and and the way my body works. I can't throw a sinker to save my life, you know, I I it just it just it just doesn't work, you know. But the reason that it doesn't work is because, you know, the way I throw creates such a great it's beneficent forcing.
Speaker 4: But if you were coming up.
Speaker 2: Now, I wonder the longevity of your career because you would be a different picture.
Speaker 7: Very different.
Speaker 15: I I I often wonder about this because I mean, it permeates all the way down now to the to the little league level. I mean, you see all these Instagram famous places where you go to to learn how to throw harder, and and you.
Speaker 7: Know, I, well, look, they have a place they do. But for me.
Speaker 15: You know, if if I look back at my my trajectory when I was a young kid, and I clearly got to the point pretty quickly where my father was like, uh, you know, you're you're past my expertise.
Speaker 7: I don't know what the hell I'm doing here, you know.
Speaker 15: So he found me a local coach and that coach talked baseball back then, you know, talked about uh mechanics and feel and flow. And his name was Bob Smith and and Richmond, Virginia. And you know, uh that is gone now.
Speaker 7: I think.
Speaker 15: I think now if my dad were to be in the same position, he would send me somewhere that teaches me how to be a little more cookie cutter and try to throw as try to throw as hard as you can, instead of instead of learning your own mechanics and cultivating your own movement pattern and and learning how to pitch a little bit more. And and I don't know, I don't know where that leads. Yeah, I I talked about this a lot. I don't know if I would have been able to have this career had I came up in today's.
Speaker 2: Age, toughest out in your career, Like this guy came to the plate and you go, all right, let me just try something totally out of left field.
Speaker 15: Salvador Perez has done really well again me in division, Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 16: You know.
Speaker 7: The good thing is though he didn't have a ton of homers against me.
Speaker 15: So in Salvi, sorry Salve. He's not the fastest guy on the on the face of the earth, so it.
Speaker 7: Didn't bother me so much. But if he came up with men on base, it was trouble for me.
Speaker 2: But would you rather give up a bomb or one that trickles right over the left field wall?
Speaker 7: Great question. It depends on the situation in the game.
Speaker 2: Let's say it's just, you know, you're up five to nothing, bomb, I'd rather give up a homer, like, yeah, four hundred and fifty feet, You're okay.
Speaker 7: I'm completely fine with it.
Speaker 15: I at least I challenged you, you know, and you know I can move on from that.
Speaker 7: We're still up for nothing. There's nobody on base. I still feel comfortable.
Speaker 15: A little blooper, and then, you know, and then another guy gets a base hitting out's you know you got you know, then a guy hits a homer and it's a you know, two run ball game.
Speaker 7: That's a little different.
Speaker 2: Greg Maddox said, I said, describe the sound of a home run. He says, it's like a it's like a car crash.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean these guys, you know, do you know it right away.
Speaker 7: Without Sometimes? Yeah, a lot of times.
Speaker 15: No, it's kind of like, you know, you just had that reaction where you're like, you know, get down your you're in your head the whole thing. You got a few seconds, so you get down, get down, get down. You just don't you know it's going to be closed. And then some of them you're just like.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, when you're not pitching in spring training, what's what do you do?
Speaker 20: Like?
Speaker 15: You know, I uh, there's been a lot of guys here playing chess, so that's been fun. We've been getting some good chess games. Going on, and we're gonna start a San Francisco Giants chess club.
Speaker 4: Not in the dugout.
Speaker 7: Not in the dugout.
Speaker 15: No, No, in spring training, you don't really, I mean, especially especially with my tenure, they don't make me be in the dugout anymore.
Speaker 7: But it's been fun this year.
Speaker 15: I mean, that's one of the positives of my family not being out here, which has been difficult. Is my first spring training in Arizona, but I've had more time to connect with the younger guys and and spend some time at the field.
Speaker 7: So I really, uh enjoy just.
Speaker 15: Taking that, taking that all in, you know, and I think the perspective of where I'm at in my career, you know, I think you want to you want to enjoy it a little bit more and realize that it's not indefinite that you get to play this game. And so it's been fun being around and hanging around the park lot.
Speaker 4: What happened Will you wear when you go into the Hall of Fame?
Speaker 12: Oh?
Speaker 7: Gosh? Uh?
Speaker 15: You know, I I honestly, I I honestly do not know. I don't think I would tell you even if I did.
Speaker 4: But it's a good problem to have justin it is a good problem to have.
Speaker 15: You're right, you know, who could have known what would have happened in Houston when I got traded there in seventeen, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like, uh, like how much success I was able to have?
Speaker 15: No, like I I couldn't have forecasted that, you know, no nobody really could have. So you just I just have this mentality that, you know, just head down, I'm working hard and however far this career takes me and where it takes me, you know, when the dust settles, when I sit back and I look back, that's that's when I'll I'll ask those questions.
Speaker 7: But yeah, I mean I get asked.
Speaker 15: I get asked a fair amount, and and and quite frankly, I just haven't even uh tried to make that decision yet. It's obviously been thought of, but I'm trying not to make the decision.
Speaker 2: You still have your tiger uniform, don't you. Of course I did, Yeah, and your Tiger had I have.
Speaker 7: A lot of a lot of gear. Every year.
Speaker 15: Every year, at the end of the season, I send it all back to my house and and just it's like, I'm honestly not looking forward to going through all of it.
Speaker 4: Could I get the Mets gear? I mean really, that's not I mean yeah.
Speaker 7: I'll send you something. Okay, I'll send you something.
Speaker 4: We'll put it in the man cave here.
Speaker 7: That sounds good, I'll send it.
Speaker 2: Uh, Hey, have fun. Good to talk to you. Thank you again. How best to your wife?
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 8: All right?
Speaker 2: Justin Erland Giants pitcher, two time World Series champ. Yeah, Kate was Uh we had her on a couple of times. Uh before or they got married with Kate Upton swimsuit mom supports till Stream. All right, we'll take a break. That phone calls coming up eight seven to seven three DP show. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I tend to geek out on some things. And one of the things is I like when a pitcher has to work out of a jam. And I think today's pictures are taught you get into jam. We'll just bring in another picture and the older school pitcher was out there might be the fifth inning, sixth inning, maybe seventh. Maybe you're kind of holding on. You got to pitch out of the jam. You don't want to go to the bullpen too soon. And I think that's what today's pitchers are lacking, that opportunity, the necessity to pitch out of a jam, because then when you get into a jam playoff time, then all of a sudden, you know you should be ready for it. You're familiar with it. And a lot of these pictures they don't have that opportunity. Let's see Bill and Florida. Hi, Bill, what's on your mind?
Speaker 16: Come going in?
Speaker 17: Dan?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 12: Bill couch question.
Speaker 16: At my age, you kind of round up on your height and you round down on your weight. So I'm still five to nine, I'm still above sixty five. I've got a suggestion for Marvin that he watched Hoogers, but then follow it up with the Best of Times with Robin Williams and Kurt Russell. I think that'll clean his palate.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 7: Bill.
Speaker 15: Is that.
Speaker 2: Quarterback wide receiver with Robin Williams? Is see the wide receiver in that movie?
Speaker 9: Yes, it's about a small high school in California. They lost the big game, the town has gone downhill. They all get back together. Kurt Russell was the star quarterback with the white shoes. Of course, great hair.
Speaker 7: Of course.
Speaker 2: Let's see, it was a few years ago when we had a poll question. It had to do with Justin Verlander, and Paulie suggested it, and of course green lit it or green lighted it.
Speaker 4: What is that when you green green light something green lit? Green lit? In a Hollywood? I think, can you green.
Speaker 9: Light past tenth present time?
Speaker 4: I don't know, Todd? Would you know that?
Speaker 10: Being?
Speaker 4: I think it's you green light something green light?
Speaker 3: That's what I think.
Speaker 2: Okay, to make sure, okay, all right, So the poll question a few years ago that I green lit with Justin Verland.
Speaker 9: Verlander, at thirty nine, had just won his third career Cy Young and the poll question was would you rather have three Cy Youngs or be married to Kate Upton? And Kate Upton won fifty.
Speaker 4: Six forty four.
Speaker 9: You can it?
Speaker 4: Take one, yes, Todd.
Speaker 6: When talking about a movie being a proof they're go into production, the correct phrase is green lit.
Speaker 3: Meaning the project received the go ahead and officially allowed to move forward.
Speaker 2: Okay, green lit. That's what I was at Woody Harrelson's apartment. I was green lit. See what I did with that? Marvin, I got it. Yeah, Pott was green.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, no, no, just just to call back then, okay, yeah.
Speaker 7: Lipt.
Speaker 4: Ryan in Detroit, Hi Ryan, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 10: First time, longtime, six' seven and a soft to. Forty i've got an untouchable record that hasn't been hit. On, Okay Wilt, chamberlain fifty five rebounds in a game and all time. Career there's one person that's currently playing that's in the top twenty five all time, rebounds and that's number twenty, Five Lebron.
Speaker 2: James, okay, yeah once, again you got to separate the, era certainly With wilt. BASKETBALL i know we don't do this With Babe, ruth but with, basketball nobody's going to average fifty a, game and they.
Speaker 4: DON'T i, mean you, know do the.
Speaker 2: Math the number of Rebounds will, got every, rebound you got fifty five. Rebounds, NOW i think that was Against Boston bill In New, York Hi, bill what's on your mind?
Speaker 20: Today, hey first time long Time? Dan, yeah six one two. Fifteen i've got an unbreakable. Record maybe it's more of a trivia. Question there was AN mlb team with three players with fifty or more stolen.
Speaker 4: Bases, okay and it's.
Speaker 20: Nineteen you, KNOW i can tell you the. Team you probably get, two BUT i don't think you'll get the. Third but you'll like. It, okay all, right it's the seventy Six Oakland.
Speaker 2: A's all, Right so the seventy six nineteen seventy Six Oakland a's had three players with fifty or more stolen, BASES i, Think, so, okay all, right anybody.
Speaker 4: Want to offer?
Speaker 2: UP i know it was in Sal, bando And Campy campanairas would probably be the first guy who comes to mind that. One, okay Got campy Campan. As Was Bill north on that.
Speaker 20: Team Billy north at seventy five that. Year, yes he.
Speaker 4: Led the, LEAGUE i.
Speaker 2: Believe, Okay so There's Ul washington didn't get on base. ENOUGH i don't think to have fifty stolen. Bases CLAUDE. L washington Gues Pone claudell is. Close he had thirty seven.
Speaker 4: Steels, oh, okay can CAN i get a? Hint sure went on to be a.
Speaker 20: Coach coach of The YEAR i think for THE, nmlb.
Speaker 2: All Of Ron. Washington, No, oh, okay, Yeah, paul here's a.
Speaker 9: Hint this player had fifty two stolen bases that, year but he also led the league in being hit by, pitches AND i think he's a career leader being hit by pitches.
Speaker 4: Over Craig bigio And Ron.
Speaker 9: Hunt it's, Up he's up, There Don, Baylor.
Speaker 4: Oh good, Call thank You, Bill Don, baylor he had power? Too was it number twenty? Five?
Speaker 2: Don number twenty? Five Don? Baylor luke And, Charlotte, Hi, luke what's on your?
Speaker 4: Mind?
Speaker 13: Then his name Is Dana altman and he Aligns Rubik's cube's the Little John rossy shout.
Speaker 12: Out BUT i have a stat of the.
Speaker 13: Day since twenty, ten When Dana altman was hired as coach At, oregon The ducks have the most wins In march out of any of The, wait.
Speaker 4: Wait where where did this come?
Speaker 9: From?
Speaker 4: Where, LUKE.
Speaker 2: I put on the left turn signal, occasionally but where Did Dana altman And oregon basketball come? From gotta give me a heads up?
Speaker 20: Here, Well ducks are.
Speaker 13: On a, heater they're win sixth, straight and they're pushing for a FOUR c in the.
Speaker 2: Tournament thank, You. Luke Now i'm prime For March. Madness i'm Taking oregon to win it. ALL i was, like, wait What Steph curry and The warriors they want to get now they have a game In brooklyn and then they have a seven game homestand you want to talk about how they could get on a, Heater they're already on a. Heater Here's Steph curry on performing In Madison Square, Garden.
Speaker 22: This massive square. Garden it speaks for. Itself this is this place that brings it just naturally has, great, unique authentic basketball, energy and like the fans are, unreal like the who's who a celebrity rowing on, that but just everybody's anticipating great.
Speaker 3: Basketball and.
Speaker 22: From my first game here in college to, now like it's always. Delivered so and for us on The Western, conference we'll only get one chance here And i'm trying to take mate the most of.
Speaker 2: It Thank, god it's not The Tostitos Madison Square garden and they probably had to fight that off of. That you, know The Great Western, FORM i mean it just sounded great even though it's a.
Speaker 9: Sponsorship was it The Western form originally and someone threw great in?
Speaker 4: THERE i don't.
Speaker 2: KNOW i just remember it's, like, damn it's a Great Western. Form it's not a Good western. Form it's not The western, form it's The Great Western.
Speaker 12: Form.
Speaker 4: Yeah, SEE i kind of Like.
Speaker 5: KIYA i, like if you're giving me the, chance you, know the choice between the Two Great Western form or The Kia, FORUM i might Go, Kia, yes touch you can steal those white.
Speaker 3: Columns you're landing at la seat in the.
Speaker 5: Distance that is one of those things when you're flying Into lax you're, like oh, man we're almost.
Speaker 4: Here there's The Great Western, forum, yeah Pauling.
Speaker 9: Uh it started as The forum from nineteen sixty seven to eighty. Eight then in nineteen eighty eight someone said it's now The Great Western. Forum why the?
Speaker 20: Change?
Speaker 2: Hmm, OH i thought it was a sponsorship in, there The Great Western. Form Final hour on The, way spend a little more time on The warriors with their win against The, knicks more of your phone calls as. Well two hours in the books on This. Wednesday we're back after This Dan Patrick.
Speaker 4: Show