Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: You're listening to Bloomberg BusinessWeek with Carol Masser and Tim Steneveek on Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: JP Morgan announced a new program today. It's a venture aimed at expanding economic opportunity and local communities across the country. It's called the American Dream Initiative. It'll span six focus areas. It includes small businesses where the effort will focus initially on well housing and financial health.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we really wanted to talk more about the American Dream and how capitalism in the economy can be more inclusive.
Speaker 2: It is a.
Speaker 1: Subject of a new book. It is by John Hopebriant. He is the founder, chairman, and CEO of Operation Hope. It's the nation's largest on the ground financial literacy and economic empowerment nonprofit. He's also the founder of Bryant Group Ventures and Bryant Group Advisors. Previously led the Promise Homes Company. He's also advised the administrations of both George W. Bush and Barack Obama in financial literacy and author of many books, including his latest Capitalism for All Inclusive Economics in the Future. Proofing of America really gets to the heart of I think, really, what is a problem here in America when we think about where we are today. John is here with us in studio, so nice to have you here. I was telling these guys I'm a fan too of how many conversations we had around the pandemic and coming off of what happened to, you know, the murder of George Floyd. Like we've just talked so much about diversity inclusive. Tell us a little bit about this book, because you've talked about this subject a lot. Tell us about what your mission was with this book and what you were looking to get at.
Speaker 2: It's not the morals message, it's the math message. My goal here, I'm going on tour starting tomorrow, and I'm going to go to black and brown urban I'm gonna go poor white rule. I'm gonna go from Main Street to Wall Street. I'm gonna go from the penthouse to no House. And I want people, I'm literally looking for people to start like.
Speaker 3: This, to be skeptical in the beginning.
Speaker 2: And then my gold for myself is within fifteen minutes they're doing this and their heads are little cocked in there. This is interesting, So I don't I'd rather respect me and learn to like me. They like me and never respect me. The math is the message. And if I can combin in the math with a narrative and then layer in a little bit of emotionalism about all of us giving people an excuse to come back to the middle. I mean, most Americans and most people in around the world are somewhere in the middle. They're not in these extremes. And I found the only universal color is the economic green. It's not about black or white, or red or blue. It's not about some partisan view of the world. When you start understanding that, the really the lesson in my book makes us very clear capitalism for all, the lesson of KKR that just got announced, where they bought built a company, bought a company and sold it and then provided profit sharing to the employees. Watch the story, read the story, listen to the story. Look at the faces of the employees and they explode with I'm part of this. And you say, that's that's America. That goes back to the early nineteen hundreds. So the Henry Fords and the rocket failures, and that's America. Look at look at what Walmart did and said, I'm not going to lay off an employees. We're going to train them in AI and upskill them. They're the largest employer in the world. Look At what Apollo's doing with some of its subsidiaries around employee stakeholder stakeholder ownership. Look at what what Delta Airlines. One of the forwards in the book is at bashing and CEO of Delta is doing with their owne hundred thousand employees and financial coaching. I was on a Delta flight last night and on the way to the flight, the Delta person talking my ear off about her new credit card and now she's just got a limit increase and she's managing finances. I didn't as say a word to her for twenty minutes. Yeah, she's wearing me out about her credit score. And people coming on the plane, the flight attendants talking about one thousand dollars Emergency Saviors account they got because they got financial literacy and how that changed their life. Now they're all in on Delta. They feel like their owners and they've profit sharing. Delta does a couple of billion a year every year. That weds them to capitalism and free enterprise. The last thing I'll say is in the book, I knew there'd be skeptics and critics and people making assumptions. I put right up front a fifty year impact study that's already done on why inclusion works. Is a fifty year study about women in nineteen seventy two. And just to make this really clear, it was white women. Just to be really blunt, nineteen seventy two, a woman, a white woman, your mother, your mother, and by extension, my mother not white. All couldn't get a bank account, not eighteen seventy two. And there was a whole debate in this country about women's roles and should they have did it. And women couldn't get alone unless her husband co signed it. So women were outside the economy because of Black's pursuit of affirmative action justice, which is Kennedy Johnson, Johnson, Kennedy Johnson and then honorary President doctor King. They opened that door. And then Nixon comes in as a reaction to Johnson and Kennedy and King, and he codifies of her reaction for women. By the way, he doesn't get credit because of all the other stuff he did a lot of good stuff. Anyway, it gets codified. Make a long story short. Come now to present moment. Women are a third of the US economy eight to ten trillion a year. I got to remind myself it's a t nott of b because it's such a big number. Eight to ten trillion dollars or GDP are women's participation in the economy. If we had not gotten that experiment, right, we also ran a country in the world today. And there's so many more examples of the math in two hundred pages of this book, but I make it so that it is really there's no other door to go through.
Speaker 3: You bring up a lot of examples of companies that are private, sharing with employees, or are doing well by doing good, and I think a lot of the folks who work for those companies are already a step ahead of a lot of other Americans who don't have the opportunity to work for those companies, who are worried about the cost of education, who are drowning in student loan debt. How do they How do they get included the ones who don't yet work at these companies.
Speaker 2: So this is the reason for the book and why I think there's a fierce urgency of now. If we were just talking about poor people, and with the question you raise, I wouldn't be sitting here, not because you don't care, It just wouldn't be relevant to your audience. But half of was seventy percent of the US economy is consumer spending. Right, seventy percent of all Americans are living from patrick to paycheck. Right. If you're making one hundred thousand dollars a year, fifty percent of those a living from patrick to paycheck. Okay, let me get closer to your viewer. Now, if you're making a quarter million dollars a year, a third of those a living from patient to paycheck. And that's before cost of living has gone increased with the oil prices popping and all the rest of this stuff. So now you're a fierce urgency of Now it's gonna it's gonna affect politics, it's gonna affect lifestyle, it's gonna act choices you make, and now we get to decide what kind of country you want to live in? Is this okay? When the reality is is the third, the bottom third have always come from the bottom up to the middle class. The middle class is always pushed that that's what's driving the US economy. We have a K shaped economy now with the top end when and really the market gains giving people I think a false sense of safety. That group is now almost half of the consumer spending. Not good because not good because when they turn off the faucet.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So we are at a in the two hundred and fifteenth anniversary of America. To answer your question, we have to figure out do we reward work? Are we giving up on the worker and saying AI has the end of jobs? That's a false I think that's a complete false narrative if I can prove it. So, Uh, it's gonna be tough because everybody's being thrown into brutal capitalism and free enterprise with no or and no trainings, no training wheels. But this is the time to teach financial literacy and have the and have a fierce urgency of Now. This is a time for this legislation like the right to vote, where where we say we demand we the people demand K through twelve that this is taught UH and embedded in our school system. This is a time where we get tax codes for that incentivized uh internships and apprenticeships, so you have tax breaks for that. This is the time I think everything gets reimagined in the in the fierce urgency of now so that you support those are too much money at the end of their money.
Speaker 1: We've a million questions we're talking about answer no, no, no, no, no, no, no, do not extra time. We love it love. We just want to remind everybody we just kind of blew our break because we want to talk more with you. John O'Brien, founder, chairman and CEO of Operation Hope. So many other things, but we're talking about as newest book, Capitalism for All, Inclusive Economics and the future proofing of America. John, I remember one of these conversations during COVID and we talked about an individual and it was with regards to George Floyd and about we talk about having seats at the table, not everybody has seats at the table. And I feel financial literacy. I've been doing this for a long time and we've been talking about this a long time too. How do we really finally get there so that not just income generation but wealth generation. Right, we finally changed the conversation, hallelujah, But how do we then really move the needle on that because buying a home we've talked about this right, is also so important to creating wealth and generational wealth. How do we finally get there?
Speaker 2: So, as you know, since I've seen you last, we've had a reversal of our approach in this country. It's no longer safe just to be really blunt. It's no longer safe to bluntly support what people call I don't know, minority activities or black. To me, it's just greens, just emerging market customers. But it's more complicated now, okay.
Speaker 3: Fine, dea is a bad word now, yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Don't care about d Just to be really clear, we're black people were fourth on the list anyway, right, women, by the way, we're first, and veterans, et cetera. But I could care less about a program. What I care about is when you look at the CEOs who call me fortune. If I've heard of CEOs, they're like, sh John, We're still in. We can't say it publicly. We don't want to get our head knocked off politically or in the public. But we this is good business, right, It's not just about it Max feel good.
Speaker 1: Some of that off air when we talk to people.
Speaker 2: Too, Oh, absolutely, And it's the same. I'm sure we could trade names either the biggest names in the most conservatively run institutions because these are emerging markets, not just a feel good look. I've already said a third of all customers, third of our economy as women. Okay, forty percent of this economy is black and brown. Forty percent of the country is black and brown. It's going to be a majority of minorities. Here's a shock here for you. Ten thousand baby boomers are walking out of the economy every day. Let that sink in for your audience. Ten not a year, not a month. Ten thousand a day are retiring. Bye, going to play golf. Everybody's going to play golf at the same time. Who's going to replace them? And even if you don't care about them, I mean the them. My rich friends need my poor friends to do better, if only to stay rich. Because it's a circular firing squad. You know, the way you're shooting, you're shooting your replacement. We have got to understand unless we want to speak Mandarin in twenty years Chinese and have them biggest, the biggest economy in the world. We are all we got. Here's another shocker for you. It's all this is in the book, and I have asked really smart people, these questions like what do you think the banking the traditional banking sector is what are you percentage do you think are non non immigrant foreign born people? What percentage of of the banking new account activity? Oh, five percent, fifty four percent, sixty eight percent. And people just shocked, what do you mean? Because ninety five percent of America is banked, ninety percent of traditional America has already has an account. So the new exectivity is coming to all the big banks. And I've seen the data from foreign born new to country. That's where the boosted. Well, that's what happened in the early twentieth century when the Irish and the Polish and the Jewish and whatever came to America. This is not a new story. It's just these folks look a little different, right. So I love the math to quote Melody Hobsing because it doesn't have an opinion. I think we had to push back, and now you're going to have to forget. Now the America is going to push forward, and the business plans, the balance sheets are going to push forward. Why you can't grow an economy by shrinking it, I'm gonna say that again. You can grow Can I grow GDP by making the economy smaller, and we have made this is not a political statement, it's just the facts. We have made the economy smaller because there's less people participating in it. The unemployment rate for after Americans has doubled the last year. Three hundred black women lost their jobs in the first two quarters of twenty twenty five. These are not These are not good signals for the economy. And these aren't lazy people are These are folks who want to work. So I think the City group reporting this in this book discrimination against black alone between the year two thousand and the year twenty twenty, twenty twenty call through UITs economy sixteen trillion dollars trillion, and if you just knock it off, it returns tree dollars a month. You add the twin dollars a month to the GDP. These are meaningful, big numbers.
Speaker 3: You were speaking our language when you're talking about these numbers. You're talking about GDP. You've advised a couple of presidents on financial literacy. Would you run for president?
Speaker 2: I've been asked a couple of times, never on air.
Speaker 3: Well ask me because when you said you were going on tour for this book, it sounded like the way you were approaching. It was almost like a politician approaches. And I don't mean that in a pejorative sense. A lot of people think, you know, that's a pejorative thing to say, but it sounds like the way somebody who's running for something approaches reaching everybody to get their vote or to communicate to them.
Speaker 2: So my model, I'm glad you actually said this, because this out of the way. My model is doctor King, not Johnny JFK, you know, or a president of Barack Obama or President Clint who I actually love. I think that guy is amazing what he did in reducing the deficit and increasing the economy for all people at the bottom. And but I know I have no interest in running for political office, and this is not what that is about. I am, though, moving a get it done party, not a party, but I am moving. I am moving like this is. I just told my team this morning, think of this as if it's a presidential national effort. I'm going on tour. I want to talk to everybody because if we need, we need to have a third way. We got to break this cycle of the far right and the far left going in their camps and just talking to their echo chambers when the biggest group in America are independents and they got to have a voice at all. And I just want, I want there to be a moment where the middle forces the edges back to the middle from both parties, because both parties, in my opinion, are out of sync with America. And if I can do that by not running, by not being political, by not being partisan. In fact, I said this morning, I'd rather I hope that the Mayor of New York and the mayor and the President of the United States in the administration steal every idea in this book. Don't you give me credit for it? Rip it off and use it because if they win, we win. If they lose, we lose. So I have no agenda personally other than continuing doctor King's unfinished work, the Poor People's Campaign when he's assassinated and Andrew Young my mentored Frederick Douglas's work one hundred years before that. I think this is the third reconstruction, is what I'm telling you. First reconstruction was after slavery, after Civil Wars.
Speaker 1: Does all the change happen in the private sector? And I'm just curious, you're really smart, by the way. To answer me that question, have you talked to mayor Mom, Donnie? Have you talked I have been asked a White House.
Speaker 2: I haven't asked if I would not debate, will not have a conversation with the mayor? And I said, yes, be happy to a public conversation. I have met last year with Secretary Bessont, who I've considered a friend. I like him. I don't think the environment was right for him to talk to me, and for this to have a bipartisan I called it a Lincoln Douglas conversation, Abraham Lincoln and Frederick Douglass to bring the country together through financial literacy. I don't think the environment was right a year ago. It's not still quite right. But I think it's warming up that the country is going to force, not me, but it's going to force this conversation because affordability is not affordable, because folks got too much month at the end of their money, because we've broken the promise that if I work hard, play by the rules, do the right thing, keep my nose clean, pay my taxes, I'll get a reasonable shot a success or failure on my own merit, and I'll say something about the administration. I don't care how smart you are, I don't care how well meaning you are. And I think most people are well meaning. But if you're a billionaire, for whom we all should aspire to be, okay, you can't do anything broke. If you're a billionaire or a cent a millionaire and you've got private planes and private security before you've got secret service, if you haven't been to a grocery store in twenty years, I mean, I don't care how nice you are. How can you possibly understand the pains of somebody who's got a red notice or cut off notice. And I'm not being pejorative or in any way political, It's just common sense.
Speaker 1: It's similar. We had a conversation with Peter Atwater, who is an economist or teaches economics at William and Mary. But this whole idea that people in terms of the k you know, the upper rung, need to spend some time with the lower rung to really understand.
Speaker 2: You know, a delta fighting coach for a week. Yeah, right, go go through the airport, through the terminal, stand in line.
Speaker 3: Those are still wealthier people, Those are the ones that can afford to fly.
Speaker 2: Go to a grocery store. Yes, by the way, still those are still middle class people. If you're a if you're at a decent grocery store, you're still middle class. I think we everybody just needs a dose of reality. I go to what I call the hood. I go to the community once a month. Just drive through it if I can. If I'm on the highway and I can get there and have some time. I get off the highway, I go through a working class neighborhood, and I'm nosy. I'm just looking around, and it's amazing what you see. Check Casher payday, long lender, rent own store, title lender as in car title, liquor store, forget your problems, pawnshop one block church down the street, trying to make you feel feel a little bit better once a week. That's your neighborhood therapist. Right in that neighborhood of five hundred to six twenty, you lived at sixty one years of age. We by the way, I've mapped every zip code in America by Credit Score with the data from Experience, thank you very much. In from the US the US Census, and we found you lived a sixty one years of age for every fifty point increase in your credit score. You live five more years, so fifteen minutes away from every five hundred credit score neighborhood when live sixty one years of age. You lived at eighty one years of age, and your credit score is seven hundred plus, and the economy is taken off.
Speaker 1: John, just forty seconds, if you could change one thing beyond reading your book and sharing the book and the message, what would you change?
Speaker 2: Just quickly, anger O the Bible says the house divided that cannot stand. It's also just good common sense. We have to all row the boat in the same direction. We have got to get out of our own way, our problems us. Everybody wants to be an American, but Americans, we've got to knock it off. We have to knock it off. Russia wants our way of life. North Korea wants our way of life, China wants our way of life. They can't win in a fair fight. They got it. They need us to destroy us and that we are helping them with. And so I'm hoping to shake up the debate and the discussion. So it it's so an outsider, maybe forceing people to come to the inside of the hearts and minds of the average person. Washing this in their head is nodding, saying my God, finally common sense.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. We know you're starting a tour with the book. When you circle around again, come back.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest anytime. We haven't talked about AI and I know, but but you've given a lot of time to unpack. And and one question I was never asked on air. I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Running for president.
Speaker 2: Oh God, I don't any repeat it. I have no angel.
Speaker 1: We try to do here, John O'Briant, so great to have you here. The new book is Capitalism for All, Inclusive Economics in the Future, Proofing of America. John, thank you