Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Monday, March second, and we just heard from President Trump, seeing him live for the first time since the war with Iran started, and he gave us an update on the war, and then the next breath gave us an update on White House drapes. That welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. That was it wasn't I mean, it was weird.
Speaker 2: It was bizarre.
Speaker 3: There were several moments when you and I were listening to the President.
Speaker 2: Talk about being at war with Iran.
Speaker 3: This is the first time we've heard from him live since we went to war, because that two thirty a m appearance of his was a videotape message to the public. So, yeah, this is the first time we're seeing him live. This is serious. We have four American debts. He's honoring fallen soldiers and some of the things he said. We just kept looking at each other with a huh expression on our face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we always want to give space for President Trump to just be President Trump was, and we should. This is kind of an important distinction here. Didn't take questions and this was not an event set up for the President to officially give us a briefing about the war. This was a metal of honor ceremony, had families had, This was a big event at the White House, and they he took I'm not sure how many minutes off the top, there maybe ten tops to give some updates on the war, and at times he was immediately started cracking jokes a little bit and this weird moment, we'll let you hear it. In a moment in which he started talking about the drapes. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it just we went from one thing to the other end. He did not take questions, but roll as we got a significant update, I guess coming from the president. We heard from hegseeth earlier, but to hear this stuff directly from the President's mouth is making headlines.
Speaker 3: Yes, And in fact, Pete hegseth Or earlier today was asked about what the objectives were of going to war with.
Speaker 2: Iran, and President Trump did make it very.
Speaker 3: Clear what those objectives were, and the first one was to take out missile capabilities, because he has said and has told us that Iran is trying to and was close to or at least I don't know what close to means, but potentially could have missiles that could reach as far as the United States, so it was imperative we'll get to that second, your missile capabilities, But there were other objectives as well.
Speaker 1: Yes, take out their navy, that was once stated by Hexeth as well also keep them Basically, this is what they've been saying, and every administration for years has been saying, you can't let them get a nuclear weapon. He said that, but he's also said another objective is to make sure they don't have the power outside of their own border. They want to keep them from having their direct proxies outside of the border in other places, in other countries. Essentially an extension of their own army or their military, is what he's trying to suggest. Now. The reason we have to do all of that, and the reason they need to do all that stuff we're OBEs is because apparently now Ron was the gravest of grave threats and immediate threats to the United States in a way that's being explained now that wasn't necessarily the same tune that people were drumming.
Speaker 2: Yes, we discussed that, maybe a takeaway.
Speaker 3: There were a couple of them from what we heard from the President today, but among them was maybe that this is a situation where, yes, we went to war, and now we're hearing the justification for it. Typically we hear things in the other order. You make the case to Congress, you make the case to the American people, You explain.
Speaker 2: Why we're going to war.
Speaker 3: We've already been at war now for two days, I believe, And now we're starting to understand, or at least hear from directly from the President, the justification for going to war, and.
Speaker 1: They starting to they are starting to get a kind of a consistent message here.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: We certainly heard it from Hegseth, We heard it from the President, but it's sounds like robes. They are going to continue to make this case right now. There are plenty of experts who say it's not the case that Iran was not this grave imminent threat, but this is what they are standing by right now. We're used to the President saying this is a terrible terrorist regime, is what he calls it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: He said they were close. He even said something about a back and forth on negotiations. He said, we were close to a deal. We thought we had one, and then they backed out, they came back again. We thought we were close, and then they backed out, and he said finally they just had to say ah ah and move forward. But he made it sound like they were close and the Iranians kept renigging on whatever deal was close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it definitely. He made it sound as though it were imminent. He said Iran would soon have had missile capability of reaching our beautiful America and said that our country was very nearly under threat from Iran and the other.
Speaker 1: They were on the road to getting a nuclear weapon legitimately through a deal we signed food by our country, and that's where he mentioned former President Obama several times, but ropes. He's saying there was an imminent danger to this country. He said they were very close to having a missile that could reach us. That's new to at least the experts out there, the security folks who keep an eye on this stuff.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, and also a little puzzling. He did try to explain this. We were questioning earlier when we heard from Hegseth, because we heard so much obviously about Operation Midnight Hammer, where we sent our fighter jets to send those missiles bombs that went underneath.
Speaker 2: To take out the nuclear facilities.
Speaker 3: And he said it again today that we obliterated Iran's nuclear program. So if that's the case, how could they be so close to then developing missiles that could reach America nuclear weapons? He claims that they started rebuilding in other locations.
Speaker 1: But again, Babe, you don't have to be the way you just laid it out. You don't have have to be a national security expert. What you just laid out just common sensically. You're just you just obliterated it. And how is the new place they're trying to set up so far along in a matter of months that this action has to take place. Those are questions a lay person, and also members of Congress and others are starting.
Speaker 3: To ask, yes, because as a lay person, I have no concept of how long it would take to rebuild or re establish a nuclear laboratory in which I'm trying to en reach enriched uranium to the point where I can blast off a nuclear weapon. No concept what that timeline is, no concept if I've retained some of those nuclear scientists who knew or know what they're doing, where they could start again from ground zero and build it back up in a matter of months, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It seems crazy to me, But what do I know?
Speaker 1: But he's saying new locations, different locations than the ones that were obliterated. That were his words today, and that is going to be a big part of the debate. But Robes, a nuclear program they've been working on for decades, was just obliterated, and you're telling me they got it up and running again to the point of threat in the time it takes to build a car. I mean, that just doesn't make a whole toilet a person.
Speaker 4: You know what?
Speaker 3: You you just hit something that that resonated with me, because anyone who has ever had new construction, whether it's a remodeling project or you're building a house from the ground up, nothing gets done in.
Speaker 2: A matter of months.
Speaker 3: But maybe if you have an entire country devoted to the nuclear new nuclear facility, maybe it's possible.
Speaker 1: Okay, So how long is this going to take? This is these were headlines already wrote even before today and before Hexceth and Trump came out and spoke. Americans want to know how long is this going to take?
Speaker 3: H As long as necessary is what we were told. We've heard four to five weeks, we've heard a couple months. I thought it was interesting this one was one of the moments where I turned to you and was like, huh. But he started talking about how some folks, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Know who these people are, suggested that he would get.
Speaker 3: Bored with the war with Iran after a few weeks if it continued past a week or two. And then he said, looking into the camera, I don't get bored. There's nothing boring about it. That was bizarre to me. Who's saying it's.
Speaker 2: Boring to go to war? I don't know what he was or who he was referencing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he saw some things where I actually do not know, but you could imagine that, right they think, oh, he's doing this. Now, he'll get bored of this and move on to the next thing, into the next thing. We were in Venezuela. We moved on to the next thing, kind of a idea, and he apparently whatever it was caught him enough that he wanted he wanted to address that today. We should address this is not a manner of his mental capacity here, but he looked tired. I mean, we remember sometimes this is a seventy nine year old man, and he obviously the past several days the weekend, we're roughing and demanded a lot of tension. But he was I mean, he was slumping on that podium at times, and he was rambling at times, he was speaking slowly, even slurre at times. He just looked and sounded tired today.
Speaker 3: That's a good way to put it, and I would go maybe even a step further and unfocused, distracted, and that could speak to a level of fatigue if you think about all of what he is managing and handling from the war in Iran, the situation in Venezuela, our world economy that's now tanking because of this war with Iran. That's just internationally, so to speak. We're talking about DHS isn't funded. You've got protests in the street, You've got concerns about retaliatory strikes here in the homeland from rogue terrorist cells that could possibly be activated because.
Speaker 2: Of this world.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's I can't even get my head around all the things he's juggling.
Speaker 2: And then we'll get into how he brings.
Speaker 3: Up the ballroom construction on top of it all, because that must be top of mind, because hey, he's got a construction.
Speaker 2: Project going on right around him with all of.
Speaker 3: This massive news of significant importance going on.
Speaker 1: Hey, the dude can walk at your gun at the same time apparently, and play the banjo and moonwalk and every whatever you need him to do. He can do it all at the same time. He gets bored, and he does not get bored. It doesn't seem like he does, to be honest with you, but yes, everything she just listed that the President is keeping an eye on right now, including war. He still has time for the drapes. We'll let you here for yourself. A turn that the President took in the East Room and explaining and explaining some uh, some de corps he's in favor of stare.
Speaker 3: Welcome back, everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ, where we are discussing hearing from the President of the United States for the first time since we went to war with Iran, and the President had a lot to say. Some of it was interesting, making headlines among them that he says, we'll stay in Iran as long as it takes, but he was suggesting four to five weeks or maybe even longer. Making sure that the Americans and the world understands that he has focused that all resources are going towards Iran, and that he is not going to get bored of this.
Speaker 2: War and move on to something new.
Speaker 3: He is certainly prepared to go the distance to see this through. And as we heard from Pete Hegseth earlier, even though this is not a regime change, we've certainly now seen a change in regime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know what, I guess maybe we're coming to expect it, but I guess heg Seth's tone and bravado was a little stronger today than President Trump's. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it was.
Speaker 3: And look, it was interesting because he started talking.
Speaker 2: You know, everyone wants to know how long. Oh, and he also this was interesting.
Speaker 3: He made a very specific point to say that he, unlike other presidents, is not afraid to put boots on the ground, and that would even take what we heard from Pete Hegseth earlier to another level.
Speaker 2: I mean, he flat out said I am.
Speaker 3: Not ruling out boots on the ground, that he's not afraid to do so. But then he also said that the plans were ahead of schedule in terms of the timeline. He said it took them about an hour. Is that what he said? About an hour to take out the top leadership of Iran acting like.
Speaker 2: That was a breeze, so to speak.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, we just started to get into his mindset and a little bit about how long he thinks this thing will go, and yes, letting the world know we are in it for the long haul, but we're not nation building.
Speaker 1: Not nation building, but building. At the White House he actually said we're not nation building in some kind of way. I can't remember the actual transition he made, but he went directly from war to decorps in the White House. He absolutely did. Now wrote we have to remember this was a medal of honor ceremony and there were families in there, and it would have probably been an upbeat I know some of their family members had passed and what. But it did have kind of a a not even celebratory, but a nice feel. It was a warm feeling event, or it should have been, or would have been, had he not have to give the war updates. So in the context of not giving the war update, this might have seemed to fine.
Speaker 3: Yes, I think that's that's a very generous way to look at it. Absolutely that this would be the tone of the room had we not been at war, would be a tone of I do think you're celebrating the service, and you're honoring the service of FeH.
Speaker 2: That's a good way to put it, of these.
Speaker 3: Members of the military and their families. And so, yes, there is a warmth. There is there's gratitude. There's yeah, gratitude and celebration.
Speaker 1: You know what that helps me better? It was warmth. What the president was doing was something warm just in the moment. We didn't know what was happening where he was going, and he made this coming. Folks, this is not the biggest deal in the world, but this is the part that threw us off right at the top. Soon as he got done talking about war.
Speaker 4: The building a little bit. We're improving the building. See that nice drape. When that comes down right now, you see a very very deep hole. But in about a year and a half from now, you're going to see a very very beautiful building. And there's your entrance to it right there. In fact, it looks so nice, I don't think i'll even I think I'll save money on the doors, because you can't get more beautiful than that. I picked those drapes in my first term. I always like gold. But I think we can save a lot of money I just saved I just saved curtains. But it will be it'll be spectacular, be the most beautiful bull I believe it's because I built many a ballroom. I believe it's going to be the most beautiful ballroom anywhere in the world. And when you hear all that hammering out there, you know why the first lady is not thrilled exactly? She said, Well, the pile drivers ever stop. You know, they go from six in the morning till eleven thirty in the evening. Can you imagine here? You know what? To me, that's a beautiful sound. She doesn't like it. I love it, you know what? To me? Other than here, because we're donating it not a penny to the taxpayer. It'll be under budget, ahead of schedule. It'll be four hundred million or less. Most people say four hundred million or more. No, it'll be less. But when I hear that sound, that beautiful sound behind me, it means money. So I like it. But my wife is thrilled.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's classic kind of Trump.
Speaker 3: Yes, And I think in any other moment, it just came directly after talking about Americans and sacrifice and taking out Iranian leaders and the fact that there will be more American casualties almost certainly as this war continues. It's just a tough turn and an urn.
Speaker 2: We call it in the news business.
Speaker 1: A transition. You hate when some producer puts you in the position where you're talking about death and destruction that I have to turn to puppies surfing it. That's it was that kind of a it just feels weird. And this was not the biggest deal in the world, And that was kind of classic Trump. He literally just looked to his right, saw drapes and started talking about him right and to your point, unfocused kind of today. But no, no, no, that's it just happened, and it just kind of threw us off. And it was and then the moon fude kind of changed again. He went to these cracking jokes and being kind of jovial to now telling these very serious stories about these family members and people who have sacrificed for these middles of honor. So I guess this is what we've come to expect and roller coasters, and he took us kind of on an emotional one in just a matter of thirty minutes a day.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: I will say this he liked to say he wasn't boring, or he wasn't bored. It wasn't a boring press conference. I was waiting for the next thing that was going to come out of his mouth the entire time because I didn't know where he was going and what he was going to say next. And look, he captivated my attention the entire time.
Speaker 1: And again we'd need to at least a reminder here that as of this recording, the President did mention as well, we've lost service members in this war, at least four at this point, and this is war. We are at war right now. We don't think I haven't seen robes if there were any other plan press conferences today, but at this point we do not believe so. But the updates here are coming almost literally by the minute on this story. So keep an eye on us our feed top right corner of your Apple podcast app, where you see our show page. There's a little button that says follow. You can hit that make sure you get our updates coming directly to you. But for now, I am TJ. Holmes on behalf co My dear Amy Roboch. We all talk soon