Speaker 1: Episode three sixty seven of Bucco Banter. Today we recap the series loss versus the Colorado Rockies, and we preview the upcoming series versus the Seattle Aeriners. You're listening to the Bucko Banter Podcast, brought to you by the Just Baseball Media Network.
Speaker 2: To you the music I feel.
Speaker 3: One on one.
Speaker 4: You see a couple of me in my Taste with y and my lemonade? Does the leta wait taste bet cease at the Pirates? Can he let me run the base? Yeah? My time is like my money because I can't afford to waste. Oh why thee is alloyer? Take my date to my dates or to stick by the plate synick case pepsi case from my race at my pace clinic.
Speaker 1: Brans Ois Snakes, Welcome back to another episode of Bucco Banter, Episode three sixty seven, brought to you by Brave Bean Coffey Company on the North Shore. Get a cup of Joe and then hop over to PNC Park to hopefully watch the Buckos win because there wasn't much of that this weekend.
Speaker 2: Myself Adam.
Speaker 1: We got Jay producing the show and a new member for the Monday Monday show, Mister Jimothy Stam, how you doing, buddy.
Speaker 3: In the flesh, I'm doing good. Let me just send a shout out to all the dads today. Happy Father's Day. Yeah, so dad's in baseball go way back. So I just wanted to throw that out there for anybody that's doing the dad thing today.
Speaker 2: Happy Father's Day to you as well.
Speaker 1: Before we move on with the show, what did your family do for you today, jim in order to make it known that you are one of the best fathers on planet Earth.
Speaker 3: You know, it was just like any other day. We were up at five point thirty to get to a baseball field by seven am for an eight o'clock start, and uh yeah, so we did some Primanni's afterwards, because you know, dads get free sandwiches on Permanny's Father's Day. And then there was another baseball game later today. So I'm cooked. Man. I'd like to rely a little bit, but you know I don't. I wouldn't trade it for anything, so.
Speaker 1: Real quick, before we move on, you mentioned the Primanny's free sandwich. How did they enforce that.
Speaker 3: You bring a human being with you?
Speaker 2: You have to bring the human being with you, I.
Speaker 3: Would assume, so I don't know how else they're going to and then they just take your word for it. So I suppose you could just pick up a small child and take him to Primanny's if if it's worth the charges.
Speaker 1: Listen, I just got back from a small vacation on the weekend. I got no food in my fridge. It's the reason that I asked, so if you could drive Ben over here real quick.
Speaker 2: After the show.
Speaker 3: Oh, he'd do it.
Speaker 2: I need that. I know you would. He'd be more than happy. But I need some grub man.
Speaker 1: Or we could just rent a kid for his free sandwich, which might be more problematic per producer Jay in the chat here, So we'll move on from that subject. It was Father's Day weekend. The Bucko's got a w on Sunday on Father's Day. However, the rest of the series was not a the par with how they played today, and they were still a lot to be concerned with with today's game. I know the Bats got going a little bit more, but same old, same old Jim with the past couple of series where they get off to a slow start at the offense, kind of dragging missing O'neo Cruiz, missing Carr Griffin, and then just the.
Speaker 2: Woes from the bullpen continuing.
Speaker 1: And then on top of that, there's some more concerns that we'll get into with Paul Skeins, Tyler Callahan, people just up in arms with Jake Mangham, which I have some opinions about as well.
Speaker 2: But let's start with Game one. They just kind of go out there and drop an egg, and they did the same in Game.
Speaker 1: Two, Cornsfield. You perceived this team putting up numbers. They just couldn't get it going.
Speaker 3: Jim that could not and they wasted a good start from Bubba like that. Those are the things it's like, you know, not only are you kind of like blow games because of the bullpen, what you're doing is essentially just tossing a good start in the trash camp, you know. And yeah, I hate to break it to people, you know, everyone says wins don't matter anymore. Pitchers like wins, you know, and Bubba's gone through his problems this year. So I just thought that that was like one of the big things in that game is Bubba course Field. He finally has one of his best starts, and it's the first game of the series. Why do we have to start in a hole? Why are we zero in one before the clock hits midnight on Friday night?
Speaker 1: Right, Nine whiffs, forty seven percent fastball usage, which I love because he kind of went away from the heavy fastball usage the past couple of starts to kind of get his bearings about him, and then he was able to go back to it and be effective, which was really nice to see. Nine whiffs, like I mentioned, gave up the one home run, only one strikeout on the day for Bubba, which I don't mind because he only had two walks.
Speaker 2: He only gave up six hits at course, and I remember, yeah.
Speaker 3: You have to be able to pitch without striking out guys sometimes, yes, And it's funny we mentioned that because I was just talking to a friend of mine who was shooting me some questions about the Pirates, and he was asking like, hey, do I have concerns about the starting pitching, like why aren't these guys going deeper into games sometimes?
Speaker 1: And I said, listen, guys at usually throw punches for a living, that like to throw doors and put guys on the bench. They're gonna have high pitch counts. They're usually not going to go higher deeper into games, and we need some of these guys to develop a little bit more to be able to be those strikeout pitchers video, but also to mix it up in order to get the most out of every start. And I thought Bubba did a really good job of that. And I know the score is three to four loss on the Friday night game, but man, they didn't put those runs up later on the game.
Speaker 2: It was pretty much nothing the entire game.
Speaker 1: And then Montgomery comes in right when you think the Buckos can put it away two thirds of an inning, three hits to earn, falls behind in that count three to one, and just puts a middle, middle pitch that everybody in Major League Baseball is going to hit, and the guy drove it into the gap. And that's all she wrote there. The only offense you really had was lou Valdez doubles. Triolo had a couple of hits. Here's my main concern all series, Jim, I don't know if you saw this the entire series.
Speaker 2: The Pirates drew three walks offensively.
Speaker 3: I did not see that three walks.
Speaker 1: It was a walk per game. I think you gotta get free bags. They did a really good job of that early on in the year of working counts. Horowitz has done a really good job the entire year. I know O'Hearn has struggled as of late. Again some discourse on that as well that we might get into. But you're going against some of the worst pitchers, yeah, in Major League Baseball, and Gano and Kyle Freelan, and they just could not get it together. They continue to make these guys look like they're saw young pitchers.
Speaker 3: Was that the worst series of the year, Yes, I think so, just based on opponent and starting pitching that they threw at us, I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I know we joked around about going into this series what a start against Kyle Freelan may look like, and it was just that a guy at seven plus ERA and you make them look like Randy Johnson.
Speaker 2: The guy had like a career high eight k's. I don't know when the last time he did that in a game was and he's going into the seventh inning. It's just really, really bad.
Speaker 1: And you could see how bad this Rockies team is just from playing them, and you just kept them around the entire time. It was Patrick Corbin all over again for this team and really frustrating. Yeah, I would put it up there with the worst series of the year man, and in game two was even worse, and then talk about even worse, they put up one run and then the way it ended was just mind numbing.
Speaker 3: Okay, so yeah, here here, okay, so here's here's the clip, and tell me what you're Were you watching it live because I was not. I yeah, okay, tell me your reaction then, and tell me how you've processed it since.
Speaker 1: My reaction was speechless because right when the play was over, I looked down at my phone to go look at some stats or like to go put out a word on Bucko Banter. Then I looked up. I hear my girlfriend's family screaming. They're saying he's out. I'm like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: He's out.
Speaker 1: There was no contact on the play. It looked like Billy Cook was already past him. He ran in a straight line. I could see if you know, he runs into him and he interferes with him.
Speaker 2: The guy's knocked on the ground, like, obviously you need to allow him to make a play on the baseball. But just from the naked eye, it didn't look like anything right.
Speaker 1: It looks like he's passing, then you sleep on it, and then you see the videos later of what the foot clipping the glove. It's like, yeah, I get it, Like I understand that's the rule. I think they got it right.
Speaker 2: They did. They got it right. Do I like it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. And I know Jay wants to hop in here, so allow him to make a comment. But they got the call right.
Speaker 1: But for a game to end like that, one sucks and two score more than one run.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe maybe don't let it come down to something fluky right exactly?
Speaker 2: Jay, Do you want to say something on this?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think definitionally they got the they got the call right. But the take I initially thought was just like, if he's able to steal feel the ball cleanly and come up with it in a place where he's ready to throw, I think it's pretty difficult to call interference there, honestly. And I think that he might have like the registered it with him halfway through the play because I don't know. That's just me and I mean obviously looking back on right, because he did touch it. But that's just what I was thinking, is that if he comes up with the ball cleanly, and I think that's pretty difficult to swallow.
Speaker 3: Right, now, did he did, did he go? Did it go to review? Or was the call made on the field?
Speaker 2: The call is made on the field, so.
Speaker 3: And then and then and then nothing's reviewed, right because reviewed discretion?
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so he goes, the play happens. They originally call everybody safe. Then the third baseman starts putting his hands on his ear freaking out, Rocky's coach comes out, umpires get together, then they decide runners out, game over. That's how it all went down, which was also really frustrating to take on that type.
Speaker 3: Of call because shouldn't it have been if you saw that, then shouldn't have been called automatically? That would be my gripe is that if it's there and it's clear and you saw the contact, that's when it needs to be called, not after the not after the dust settles. That's that would be my actual gripe, because I do think they probably buy the letter of the law, got it right.
Speaker 2: But that sucks, Yeah, it does suck.
Speaker 1: What sucks even more, you know, three for thirteen in the first two games is runners in scoring position and the only run that you score was the first batter of the game. In Spencer Horwitz, which, by the way, I think he's becoming one of the best leadoff guys in all of baseball for not your stereotypical leadof hitter or the guy Rakes.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you saw this, but those two losses, did you see the stat from off the stats about the Pirate the first two games that they are the only team in baseball in the last fifty years to have the tying run on third with zero outs in the ninth inning in two games in a row and lose both games.
Speaker 1: Yep, I did see that stat, Jim, and it made me sad. It made me really sad.
Speaker 3: It's actually almost impossible to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's like nothing seems to be going your way, and then in the ninth inning a guy boots a ball or you get hit by a pitch, bases load, it's like, oh my god, we're finally not cursed. Like, look at this, the heavens are opening up. I can see the light.
Speaker 2: And then it just shuts on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh times. Oh it's so demoralizing.
Speaker 3: But again back to what I just said before, which is, don't put yourself in these situations. Yeah, it's gonna happen every once in a while. Just don't put yourself in these situations against a team like that, and then you don't have to worry about it. You don't sweat something out or feel you got screwed, you know. So that's the that's the bigger issue.
Speaker 2: To me right Just by the way, per producer Jay Spencer, Horwitz has a higher w RC plus at one thirty eight than the following NL first baseman Bryce Harper, Breddy Freeman, Jonathan Ronda, Alec Burlson, and more Michael Bush and Alonso as well. So the numbers speak for themselves.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously he passes the eye test at the plate, but he's been that good.
Speaker 2: He's he's all star caliber.
Speaker 1: Right now, let's talk about Horowitz because I think right now, with Griffin and Cruise out of the lineup, obviously you're seeing some of the flaws with this team, especially at the bottom end of the lineup. But the reliance on guys like o'hearne, Lau and Horwitz by themselves is not sustainable and people are freaking out right now. Even saw somebody tweet O'Hearn was not worth the contract. One shut up. That's just a silly, horrendous take take a seat, buddy. He's been so good all year. Without O'Hearn, this team maybe loses a handful of more games. Okay, guys are gonna slump in major league baseball.
Speaker 2: I hate to break it to you.
Speaker 1: These as good as major league hitters are, hittings the hardest thing to do in professional sports. Guys are not gonna do well. You can't rely on him every single game to drive in runs. Last series he drove in six in one game. Okay, so listen, he's gonna slump a little bit. He hasn't put it together some good at bats, and I know he wasn't clutched in what games one and two here when they could have used him. But you can't rely just solely on three guys to produce all of the slug and then just have essentially zeros from like five to nine throughout the entire line.
Speaker 2: But nobody else is hitting either. Jay makes a good point, not just Ham.
Speaker 1: Nobody else was hitting, okay, minus Brian Reynolds and Spencer Horwitz, everybody's been pretty much flat, especially at course when you know it's elevate to celebrate.
Speaker 2: And Jimmy just like begsaqua.
Speaker 1: Like, how important let's put oneal Cruz aside. How important was the twenty year old Connor Griffin to this team?
Speaker 3: Glad you I'm glad you mentioned that because I feel like that's what they're missing the most right now. I feel like that there is there is a burst of energy and I don't want to be cheesy and call vibes, but like when he he gives them juice, I think it's in the field. I think it's as he was starting to come on hitting. I'm hoping that because I think we're close. Right he's supposed to go on a rehab assignment. Sounds like everything's been positive. I think they miss Connor g of him way more than I thought they would at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all around, because one, he plays a really good shortstop, then you don't have Jared Triolo every day in the lineup. Also just the ability to make something happen at the back end of the line because remember he really wasn't at the top of the lineup for most of it. He had a couple of games where he was at the top of the line but for the most part five through nine and probably the best base runner on the team as well.
Speaker 2: Jay brings up a good point.
Speaker 3: So it's so multifaceted with him, and so they're obviously going to get that piece back soon, I think. Obviously I don't expect it to be a super long rehab assignment, but hey, they want to make sure Arm's good and be that he gets the at bats right. They're not going to throw him right back in there against major league pitching, but they have to. It's still a week or two away, so they just have to figure out a way to get going. You can't wait for the twenty year old kid to come back to provide everything. It's just not fair to him. And they've got enough guys that should be able.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you should be able to do it. And I mentioned it on the last show. You just need to stay afloat right now. But this is a really good opportunity this past couple of weeks in order to write the ship and get above five hundred comfortably.
Speaker 2: You had the Marlins come into town. I know they were hot. They were eight and two out of the last ten. They're playing good baseball, a winnable series.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: You go to Sacramento, you get off to a slow start, you win the series.
Speaker 2: Good. Okay, it wasn't pretty at times, but good.
Speaker 1: Then you go to Colorado and you kind of chalk it up as like, hey, let's go in there, take care of business, and leave, and then you don't do that, and now it makes the next week all that more important with a five hundred team and the Mariners coming to town and then a division rival in the Red to you know, both teams average right now, and you should look at it, and you should look at the rosters and say, hey, this is something that we should be able to take care of. But it just the amount of weight that you're putting on yourselves going into the All Star break and heading into the trade deadline, it just becomes a little bit more difficult to pinpoint.
Speaker 2: What this team really is and what they need to do.
Speaker 1: Obviously, we know what they need to add in terms of bullpen help in order to try and at least fix that aspect of it, but it's a little bit more difficult of a conversation of hey, is this team good enough right now without these main pieces, And I think the answer is no. Unfortunately, Like they might be a good team, they're not a playoff team unless they're able to kind of figure this stuff out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they need to get a couple pieces back. And then also too, there's a couple guys that do need to get on track or that you need more out of if quite frankly, you know, and there's the ebb and flow of a season. Like you mentioned, slumps are going to happen. But you know, O'Hearn now they carried them. They carried this team early that has not really been the case of late. I think we're going to talk about Paul Skins at some point too, that you know, what about this version of these guys and what do we need more from them?
Speaker 1: Right, let's talk about Skins because this year they're one and ten. This season, when Skiings allows more than you ready for this, as this is just such a task number.
Speaker 2: I'm ready. When Paul Skins the pitchers, Paul Skins allows more than three hits? How dare he allows more than three hits in a game?
Speaker 1: You got to be kidding me, Like, guys are going out there and throwing one hitters every day. When this guy has the audacity to step on a Major league mound and allow three hits, the Pirates are one in ten.
Speaker 3: That almost doesn't seem possible.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 1: It's actually making me go a little bit crazy, Like I feel like I'm getting like an aneurism here. They're one in ten when he allows three or more hits and people are freaking out that he's not this god of a baseball player one he is.
Speaker 2: He is. He's Paul freaking Skins. He was Rookie of the Year, he was cy Young.
Speaker 1: We were talking about how he looked like prime Pedro at the first part of the season. Okay, he's gonna get back on track. Last year he went through a little bit of a lull and he won the Cy Young. It's the same thing with guys like we just talked about Ohearn. I'm not putting them on the same level, but guys go through slumps. It's a long season for a reason. Major League baseball is really hard, no matter who you are. But there are some concerns that I think are valid in terms of like the fastball velocity going down a bit, in some control of the secondary pitches. But he still went out there at Corsefield and through a quality start, and people are losing their absolute gords over Paul Skins. And him not contributing to this team enough, and not only does it making me crazy, but it just adds to the situation of like, hey, you're trying to get the vibes back on track and then just you get this grotesque stat of him allowing three or more hits Again, how dare he right? But you talk about the need for these starting pitchers to go deep into games.
Speaker 2: I don't like Jim.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much more he can do, Like he's still a really good picture, Like you can't expect him to be just prime Paedro Randy Johnson every single time he goes out there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're not gonna get that for a whole career. It's just not going to happen. Like, go look at the finishing numbers of the Padro Martinez is and the Randy Johnson's. Yes, they have these spots in years of absolute brilliance, absolute brilliance, and then it's gonna be a tick below that. Like it just it happens. And I and I think that's where Paul's at, Like, I mean, clearly, you don't you don't ignore everything, Like obviously there's some things he's either not doing or seems a bit off on that are affecting, like it's kept him from being as dominant. I think we could say, you know so, I think there's there that's that's valid. The other part of this is I would say or ask the question, can should the Pirates should still be winning with this version, like it's not supposed to be, like, well, they can't do anything when Paul's not you know, sub to er, Like they should still be finding plenty of wins along the way with this guy, even as he is right now.
Speaker 1: Jim six innings, four hits, two earned only two walks, eight strikeouts. He gave a home run, which Jay, I'll have Jay bring up in just a second. Here he's got a two eight six ERA and he had nineteen whiffs at Cors nineteen whiffs, and people are ready to just send him off as.
Speaker 2: Not being a guy anymore, like he's a guy. All right, it's over, it's over, it's over.
Speaker 1: And then you brought in Carmen his first time, not piggybacking off of Jared Jones. He looked really good, but he had one run the entire game, and Jay bring up the mangum, we'll just hide this in so Paul skiings. He's let up what thirty home runs in his career, Seven of them have been the first batter of game, which is kind of a crazy stat. But then you get this little league home run of Jake Mangham trying to make a play guy, it gets by him alahand boots it in the outfield.
Speaker 2: He scores fairly easily. Mangham gets a lot.
Speaker 1: Of hate on social media, and I understand, like people who look at stat pages and analytics and everything, you see a lot of chase. You see stuff that isn't really going to pop off of paper, and then you get some some plays like this. I'm going to speak as a former outfielder here, and maybe people don't agree with this, but I'm going to speak as a ballplayer. I played college baseball, I played in the outfield. I understand what he's doing here. It's the first inning of a game, okay, And you're in a park where you run for days here and I think it was either Capper or Kevin Young who made up a good point here. You're kind of in no man's land, like you don't expect him not to run hard after a ball in the gap, Okay, Like maybe he makes that split decision where he goes, yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: What, that's a double.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna let it get to the wall and then we're gonna throw the ball in. But I have no problem with Jake Ingham going all out in the first inning of the game. Nobody on base, so what like, you know, he makes the play, people are freaking out, And I don't think he was that far off.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like he dove and he was five feet off from catching.
Speaker 3: Which sometimes you do see from players and it looks yeah.
Speaker 1: It looks awful, But like, I think he made a valid effort at this one. So you expect, you can't expect a guy to go all out, which Jake's gonna do every single time, and sometimes to his own fault, he gets away from himself. I mean, he had some base running blunders as well here due to that type of product that he puts out on the field. But this play specifically, and I think if you ask Paul like he wants him to go and try and make that play, like, go out there and try try to make that play, and you know it could.
Speaker 2: People off all they want.
Speaker 1: I also understand that as a fan, but he either going back to my point, he either goes out in a full sprint and getting in between Hopper and it's going to look awkward and he's probably not going to be able to keep it in front of him. You go and try and make a play, and there's a lot of land out there to navigate.
Speaker 2: So I have no problem with this.
Speaker 1: Now you know, has Jake again had some blunders on the base paths as he made some mistakes there's a lot of chase in the plate. Yes, I understand that, but Jake Mangham should not be your everyday centerfielder, and he's been put in a position where he needs to be. Right now, the type of play that Jake Mingham gives you is really good fourth outfielder, which I think was by all means and intent, the Pirates objective going into the season, and you're just seeing how more important guys like o'neo Cruz and having like this full lineup in and here actually means. Regardless of O'Neal's defense in the past, it was getting better. But like again, I just want to put my opinion out there. I don't care about that at all. Like I get it, but I don't care about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the big point there is like the situation and the time in the game than it was. You know, if that's the eighth inning and there's a runner on like a close game, like sure, obviously you've got to be a little bit more smart about what you're doing. I have a way bigger issue with Jake Mangham running to third on a ball that's hit right in front of him to the shortstop and he's out by ten feet. I mean, that to me is stuff I don't buddy. I mean, I don't care how fast you are, You're not gonna You're never gonna You're never gonna beat that out. So I take way more issue with that stuff than anything about that play in the first inning. Yeah, so I'm with you. I'm with you on that one, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jay brings up a good point.
Speaker 1: I think Callahan booting the ball is I mean, he absolutely does not score. If he doesn't boot that ball, it's a triple. Probably people are gonna get be hard on Jake Mingham. And again, I know he's not like the analytics darling that people have fallen in love with nowadays. And if you don't check all those boxes and people are going to be pissed off at you, no.
Speaker 2: Matter or what.
Speaker 1: But the guy also has been getting on base and he's been hitting, and I think he's doing a lot more than what you originally were going to ask for him.
Speaker 3: So just as yeah, I mean what seven shops right now, you know that a lot of teams would be in worse shape than that having to fill.
Speaker 1: In Yeah, one hundred percent. So I just kind of wanted to put it out there. Some other news, O'Neil Cruz is getting checked out this week. He has an appointment today Monday when this episode comes out to determine the next steps. Warbur Hotel through a bullpen in Denver. They said he looked okay, so we'll see how that develops. Still going to have to make some moves in this bullpen. Man like Mason Montgomery has shown that like the high leverage situations might not be for him. Dennis Santana has like a two hundred and eighty era in Colorado. It's actually impressive how bad he's been in the state of Colorado.
Speaker 3: Well, he was a big part of that one last year, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Yes he was, he was, And he's been good in the pass like ten games, and they're even talking about how they talked to him before the game and him getting that slider back and locating a little bit more and then just boom, can't get now right, and like they let him work through the inning. I get that, but man, that game was a lot closer at the end than I would have cared for well.
Speaker 3: And that's another thing I think that is piling onto the Pirate fans psyche right now, which is, even when they win, you can't feel particularly good about it, you know, because it ends up being way more dicey than you need it to be, and so you're not even getting the break of a win in one hundred and sixty two game season. It's still oh my god, the problem is still there. And yes we won, but who cares because it's still a huge issue. So it's killing Pirate fans in that regard.
Speaker 2: You know, what you shouldn't do is kill other people.
Speaker 1: But if you do, you should definitely call the folks were at Farrell, Weaver, and Oakin because they fight for your rights, providing aggressive criminal defense and appellate representation when the stakes are highest, when it counts. Most experienced matters call Farrell Weaver and Oaken today for any of your legal needs and get a free consultation. I'm not telling you to go out there and commit crimes, but if you do, I would call the fine folks over at Farrell Weaver and Oakin. Oh God, I did want to commit a lot of crimes this past weekend after I was in the state of Texas, and that would have been bad because Farrell Weaver and Oakin they're not licensed there, their license here in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'll go on records saying murder bad. So well, don't do that. But you know, if things go sideways on you, they've got your back.
Speaker 1: They do got your back. And I listened. Jay says it's big if true.
Speaker 2: Jim mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I've always felt very strongly about that, no matter what other people think. I like to get out there in front of some of these hot button issues.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: I know Scott's busy out in Rome or wherever he's gallivancing, committing crimes and doing heinous acts overseas. But when he gets back, I mean, if he gets extradited, whatever it may be, hopefully Farah Weaver and Okan can represent him.
Speaker 2: But if not, he's out of luck.
Speaker 3: Let me, he's just throwing one more thing before we look at it. I'm gonna I'm going to give you Pedro Martinez his career, all right, two point nine to three, and Adam I'll give you one better. You know what Randy Johnson's career are.
Speaker 2: Is two point eight four, three point twenty nine.
Speaker 3: Everybody relaxed about Paul Skins.
Speaker 2: Johnson sucked, dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, terrible, both those guys terrible, awful. So you know, let's keep it in perspective.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's good. Perspective is good.
Speaker 1: The Mariners to town, all right, if you called last year, myself, Scott and Deebo went out to Seattle and we saw this Pirates score zero runs in Seattle. The Mariners come to town as a five hundred baseball team. They're forty and thirty nine. They were able to salvage the Red Sox series and win today, but they've kind of had the same issues as the Pirates. They cannot hit lefties, Jim. This team has absolutely struggled. They're not getting you know, the cow Rawley production. Obviously, he went on the io and he's on a rehab stin they're just things. Are yeah, very pirate esk They're they're the pirates of the West.
Speaker 2: Okay, and.
Speaker 1: They even have too many starters and they're going through the whole piggyback situation. You're gonna see some of their best this week. Okay, Tuesday, you get Keller versus George Kirby. Jay pull up these graphics for our fine viewers here and if you're listening, listen along. This year George Kirby is five and seven with a four tint era, a seventy nine k's and a one to three to one whip, the Arsenal four seam sweeper, sinker, curve change cutter, tall frame. You're getting a large human being with a fluid delivery, elite control, low walk rate. The sinker is able to induce soft contact early in counts, and you can work both sides of the plate slider and curve tunnel well off the fastballs and generate excellent horizontal sweep. Here really good first game with George Kirby versus Mitch Keller. Remember, if you're missing all these or you want to get more in depth breakdowns, make sure you go to Bucko Banter dot com put in your email hitsend.
Speaker 2: Then very important listen to me.
Speaker 1: Go to your email opt in and these will be sent directly to your inbox before the series. Let's go to Wednesday, you get Brax and Ashcraft versus the twenty twenty five All Star in Brian Wu this year, he's six and five with a three nine four ERA eighty eight k's with a one whip. Might see a piggyback situation here. This is how Seattle is operating nowadays. But the Arsenal four seams, snker, sweeper, slider change, low slot release, excellent command with riding fastball works well at the top of the zone. Slider sweeper compliments off the fastball with excellent command on the glove side on right handed hitters, He's going to be in the zone ninety seven percent in the walk percentile still generates a ton of chase. So while he's going to command the zone a lot, he's able to put you away with their secondary pitches. And then Thursday you're going to get another Bubba Chandler start versus Bryce Miller, who is three and one this year with a one to five to seven ERA forty three k's with a point seven whip, the arsenal four teams, split finger, slider, cutter, sweeper, knuckle, curve, sinker. The four seam is his signature pitch since mid nineties, high spin, rates, late, explosive life, attacks the zone with fastball, and generates tons of whiff. The slider is a primary breaking ball that works well off of the heater.
Speaker 2: Command and control are his biggest strengths.
Speaker 1: It is I mean, like, again, the Mariners have not been playing great baseball, but this is going to be a difficult series for the Pirates.
Speaker 2: One.
Speaker 1: You're facing a lot of good arms here, and it's it's just not gonna it's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Be easy smooth games here.
Speaker 1: Like you're gonna have to go out there and get solid outings from your your pitchers. But then you're also going to have to hit the baseball as you should every single game.
Speaker 2: But like you're gonna have to put up some runs here.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to put up runs. And the Mariners are one of those teams where they're what a game over five hundred, they just happen to be in the right division to where that lead. They're leading their division because of it, right, but they're they're I mean, so they have, they have some They have just as much to play for right now as the Pirates do. I mean to be quite honest with you. Now, I know that Julio Rodriguez had some things going on, but it looks like he's back in that lineup. So obviously streaky guy. You catch him on the wrong week and it could be bad.
Speaker 1: Let's wrap this up with our hitter and Pictures of the Week that's presented by Smashed Waffles in Oakland. Go to Oakland mention the Bucko Banter home run of the Week, which we will decide as a Bucko Banter team, and you get twenty percent off your entire order. This episode's also brought to you by sports card Junction Baseball, basketball, football, soccer, Pokemon. Whatever your heart desires, they have you covered ninety eleven Perry Highway. Go in rip some cards or go to sportscard Junction dot com for all of your hobby needs. The picture of the week is none other than mister Paul Skeins. I know what horandous, just career altering start from him with six innings, four hits, two earned, two walks, eight strikeouts, gave up that Mickey Mouse home run.
Speaker 2: He's got a two eight six era and nineteen whiffs.
Speaker 3: Here's my issues. You mentioned you gave a four hits, not so that's three or more should automatically disqualify him.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, I'm sick of guys on this team just thinking about themselves.
Speaker 3: I really out there and getting hammered.
Speaker 2: You should know that this team is one and ten. When you give up more than three.
Speaker 3: Hits, yeah, I mean, who is that on when it all comes down to it?
Speaker 2: Ridiculous? And then hey, the hitter of the week is Brian Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Mister June himself eleven for twenty three with three bombs nine RBIs five extra base hits.
Speaker 2: He's been having a career year and I.
Speaker 1: Really hope he's able to continue this and in the production that you're seeing from him, it's good to see that after last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jay even mentions he's working on that bat drop, which you know, there's some stiff competition on this team for that.
Speaker 2: There really is. I mean, Spence is just an all timer.
Speaker 3: He's got some ps, he's he's he's a straight up pimp. When he hits a homer.
Speaker 1: One percent, well, hey, this is a good episode. Was a little bit of a venting session. I knew I had to get some stuff off my chest. I just got off a flight that was maybe the worst flight of my entire life. I won't go into details.
Speaker 3: Oh I wish you. I wish people could have heard the story before we actually started recording, because it is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe if you go to the Patreon and you subscribe for three dollars a month, you know, put inside that avocado toast, throw that three dollars a month to Bucco Banter Patreon, get the Bucko board breakdowns, the Banter Cast, and maybe you'll get my airport story only for three dollars a month. I think that's worth the juice there. So we appreciate everybody for listening. Make sure you subscribe, leave a comment, tell a friend to tell a friend, download the episodes, leave a five star review. Jay mentions this year's this week's Banter Cast on the Patreon will be about airline suggestions, and I'll tell you what you're not getting mine.
Speaker 3: And airline etiquette.
Speaker 2: Perhaps etiquette as well. I'm telling you, man, we've lost ourselves as a country, and.
Speaker 1: You can all find it on our Patreon this week, Scott's away in Europe, so you'll see some familiar faces in myself, Jim Jay, Noah Hiles will be co hosting with me on Saturday at the Allegheny Coffee Show. That's gonna be a mailbag episode, so submit your questions there and we'll take some man on the street questions as well.
Speaker 2: And then the.
Speaker 1: Buco Banter Tailgate fellas July eleventh versus the Brewers at twelve o'clock.
Speaker 2: We got some really good sponsors lined up. Caliente Pizza is going to be Backsmashed Waffles, Brave Bean, sports Car Junction, Tom's Tents, and a really really good drink sponsor. I think Jim's gonna be really happy about this one. I'll put it. That's a clue I'll give you, hey, Jo, Yeah, that's a big clue out there.
Speaker 1: Jim's gonna be pumped about it, and you'll be able to see Jim there as well as myself and Scottie. So again July eleventh, if you go to any of our social media as you click on the link for the tailgate, make sure you ARESVP so we can get a head count.
Speaker 2: We're gonna have a DJ as well, and maybe some fun and guest.
Speaker 1: Appearances, some really cool ones that UH have been circulating around the Bucco Banter universe.
Speaker 2: So really pumped for all of that and more.
Speaker 1: We'll see you at the ballpark this week and until next time.
Speaker 2: Hoist it hoisted, best.
Speaker 4: Seats at the Pirates, get it, Let me run the base. Yeah, my time is like my money because I can't afford to waste h. Why see is a lawyer take my date to my dates or to stick by the place