Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney Thorne Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphne's Aniga an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Melro's Minute Goals.
Speaker 1: We're bad.
Speaker 3: I have a lot of time, Ladies. Some stuff happened this week.
Speaker 1: It did happen this week. So Molrow's has been a bit in the news because Kristin Davis on her podcast talked about pressure to be thin on Molrow's Place. Mm hmmm, yeah, So I'm just curious. Did you experience anything like pressure to be thin in Hollywood?
Speaker 3: I'm just curious about you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm starting to learn your sarcasm. Court Gold, you love shooting dancing scenes.
Speaker 3: I'm like yeah, and you're like, I hate it.
Speaker 2: Didn't we as young actresses get pressure to stay thin?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah, No, that's the thing.
Speaker 1: Somebody said to me. She was talking about pressure to stay thin on Melow's Place, and I thought, and when I read closer, it wasn't overt pressure. It was that she felt the pressure because she got into this world where everyone looked thin and fit, and there's pressure, there's a tension on you. There's a lot of soul actress. She was an actress, so there were a couple of things who said things. We can get to that in a minute, but I think that's how it felt, right Like I don't think anyone ever said to me you need to be thin, but there was this competition and this sense in the press, and when you're going to fittings, like imagine going to fittings and standing in front of a big mirror and have them put clothes on you several times a week. It's psychological like And when I was thinner. It's interesting because even though when I was really dieting, had thought about food all the time, I didn't have to think about it when I was working. So it was like which devil do you pick? Do you pick the devil where you're constantly dieting and exercising. And I do remember that as a big part of Mero's place, right Like I would wake up no matter what my call time was, it was six. I woke up at four. I had a big cup of coffee, and I exercised, and I remember being very aware of everything. I ate it exhausting.
Speaker 3: Of course that was the era.
Speaker 4: Well, it's a particular business, like what other what other industry and what other business is gonna, you know, make women feel even more pressure to to be a certain way or certain shape or certain size.
Speaker 3: I mean, then we're doing it.
Speaker 2: We're yeah, we're doing it on camera, and we're we're.
Speaker 4: Faced with it in the mirror, and it's like, it's just a particular business. It's not it's not the healthiest you know, mindset for any of us.
Speaker 2: Listen, guys, I'm pulling up Kristin Davis what she actually said, and I'm not sure it was the producers.
Speaker 3: I think it may have been a co star of ours.
Speaker 2: That made her all neurotic. If you can guess, I'm gonna give you one guess. Is too freaked Kristin Davis out about her weight on our show? Would it be Heather No, No, Doug No, I mean Grant Andrew never.
Speaker 3: Who does that leave Thomas Collabora. Okay, now tell us tell us what was saying.
Speaker 2: Well, her memory was that Thomas Collabora said, hey, Kristen, I think you look great, and she's like, yeah, thank you.
Speaker 3: He's like, yeah, I know the producers are really worried, but I think it's great that we have a woman with curves.
Speaker 1: Oh, which I really should be a compliment, but it's not. I honestly think he meant it as a compliment. But I think that I honestly think he twisted it.
Speaker 3: I don't know effing way.
Speaker 4: Come on, Well, Thomas has a way of putting his foot in his mouth. But I think you're probably right, Cord. He probably meant it as a compliment, but it's like a little bit of like foot in his mouth.
Speaker 3: Collabra. You guys are so she was very thin.
Speaker 1: So that's interesting about it, right, We get so warped, and I think it's hard for people to really understand, Like you hear TV puts on ten pounds, TV puts on ten pounds, I can't. My girlfriends used to get so mad because I they knew that I was always way too aware of dieting and exercise. I talked a lot about it in the nineties, and I remember you would come up to me all the time and say to me, oh my god, TV really does put on ten pounds.
Speaker 2: Random.
Speaker 1: So when you're getting that message as you're walking through the street, it was so crazy making because just when I sort of get calm and quiet the noise in my head, some stranger would walk up to me and say, wow, you look so much bigger on TV, and my heart would just sink.
Speaker 3: And no, they said it nicely.
Speaker 2: This is what they always said, at least this is what I heard. You look so much thinner in person, or you look so much prettier in person, or you look so much you know, I'm like, thank you, you're one person.
Speaker 3: Those millions of people that are.
Speaker 1: Seeing me are like up right really spread the word either way.
Speaker 4: It's either word or bit of a backhanded compliment, right, like you can't sort of shake that. I mean, I remember like feeling when I got on like, oh, I was just like kind of a regular shape, Like I wasn't really conscious of, you know, being super thinner or super fit whatever, but.
Speaker 2: Being around other women who.
Speaker 4: I really was like, oh my god, Josie Beuse that is the most beautiful and so she's a model both then and she's got legs for days, and like, you know, it's like, oh, I am not shaped like that at all, and I can I just never can be, you know, So just deciding that all right, I'm just gonna have to find a way to be okay with the shape of my body that has curves on the side, even though I'm a small person, like I still have like all those things that you nitpick about yourself.
Speaker 3: I mean I felt like that television show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my clothes were all baggy and stuff, like she would have these drawstring pants.
Speaker 3: And when I started, I think I was a size six four or six. But this is don't forget.
Speaker 2: This is the air they introduced, like zero, Like what does that even mean? Zero? Like negative small, you know, extra extra small, that kind of thing. It was really the air of skinny, and I just remember going, I can't apparently I can't be a six anymore.
Speaker 3: I have to be a four.
Speaker 2: So I remember that kind of like the numbers that you guys are talking about Courtney in my mind, you.
Speaker 4: Know those numbers like are they're they're different for every brand and whatever, Like just you know, to say you're a zero it means something.
Speaker 3: Every brand is different anyway. Like it's just, oh, it's just so much. How do you guys feel about it now? Like how do you relate to it? Deal with it? Think about it now?
Speaker 2: You've we've mentioned before Courtney, and not as tough on yourself.
Speaker 1: Or oh my god, by the grace of God, I don't have that anymore. It was so painful. I remember, you know, so for me when I finally decided to leave Melrose Place and I was like, oh my god, thank god, I finally get to relax and just like be in my body.
Speaker 3: And then I was on ale Mcfeel.
Speaker 1: Which is even more oh my god heart. And what really like shifted my thinking and made me really start to get help around it was I was featured an article about thin actresses and how they were impacting young women and impacting their body image. And I was like, oh, because I was beating myself up. And then when I had the reality of oh my god, I thought this was like a private battle. When I realized it was impacting young women, that's why I thought, okay, I've got to get this straightened out.
Speaker 2: Well, also, you think it's private, you think it's just you and you're the person wrong. You can't stay a size to you, and now it's.
Speaker 3: All in your head.
Speaker 2: And then you realize you know you because you're on TV or you impress, you make an impression on women watching you, young actresses, young people watching you, but also all of us in our own heads. There wasn't like, you know, meetings or support a lot. Yet we all feel so alone in that battle and not anymore.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, it was exactly. I thought it was a private battle and it wasn't. And it's you know, one of the interesting things about eating disorders is the first the most important indicator of eating disorder is the first diet. So it's that first time when you start to starve yourself. And what basically I did, and this is but I stopped dieting. I started listening to my body and it was so scary at first. I stopped compulsive exercise because the thing about eating disorders that I don't think people talk about enough is that they morph. So, you know, and I had a drinking problem, it was easy. I had a drinking problem. It was obviously. I stopped drinking and haven't had a drink in almost thirty four years. That was easy. But when with eating disorders, it morphed. So first it was starving and then I go, oh, that's then it was over exercising. Then it was messing with every new diet like so many of these like healthy diets that people do. I look at it and go, that's disordered eating. Like if anybody cuts out an entire food group, that's unsustainable.
Speaker 2: I mean, I feel like, ultimately, because I've done all that, diet's anorexic, I stopped eating. I had hair falling out. This is before Melrose. This is ten years before Melrose. You know, the hair falling out, losing the period, having no energy, all of that. But I feel that at the core of it is the sense of self your self love. You really, you're just comfortable beating yourself up, starving yourself, depriving yourself. And two books that I read that I really loved was Janine raw I loved Food Is Love. That was amazing.
Speaker 3: She's amazing.
Speaker 2: And then I also read The Only Diet There Is and I gave it to my girlfriend and she's like, I don't want to read it because the word diet's in it and the word die is in diet.
Speaker 3: But I said, you've got to read it. It was about love and it was.
Speaker 2: The first time I started to see every time, what is my thought process about deprivation, about not eating?
Speaker 3: What am I saying to myself?
Speaker 2: It's gets you more in touch with your negative self talk as opposed to your self love. And when you have a stronger sense of self love and habits that support that, it doesn't mean you're going to gain weight.
Speaker 3: It means you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna probably make choices that make you feel good. But you love yourself as opposed to being that size too and being scared and not liking yourself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the starving leads to the binging, leads to the it's the whole process.
Speaker 3: So it's learning.
Speaker 1: It is that self life of learning when you're hungry and feeding yourself until you're satisfied. It's that cycle of if you're starving and limiting and restricting, there's always going to be a price to pay, even if it's just you go through your life starving. Right, Like, it's really hard to understand when you're in that because you think, well, wait, my body needs to look this way for me to feel good. When you start saying I want to feel good, When you start saying this food feels good, this food feeds me, then suddenly the unhealthy food isn't as appealing, not because it's bad and you're wrong to eat it, but because when you're coming from a place of self love, you're going to go what feels good to me.
Speaker 2: Not that you don't have treats.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you really should have treats sometimes, Like it's important, like Janine Roth says, which I love. So if you want a brownie because you're having a bad day, have a brownie, but sit down at the table and enjoy it. Don't go put down out of shame and then eat the pan of brownies because you didn't taste the first brownie, Like say, I'm going to consciously have this treat because i had a hard day. Okay, that's fine. Yeah. And also when you abandon yourself and leave your body so that you don't even get to enjoy it. I love that you talked about her.
Speaker 2: I love her so much.
Speaker 3: You also learn out of love as.
Speaker 2: Your needs and we used to when I was young, a young actress coming up in this business. And again i'd been working what for ten or eleven years before Melrose.
Speaker 3: But then you're doing it.
Speaker 2: You're in everybody's living room, so the pressure is really there. You don't know how to get needs met because you're insecure. You're you're afraid of talking to the boss, as you're afraid of talking to the boyfriend. You're not sure of what you need.
Speaker 3: And in this.
Speaker 2: Business, you know, because you really need to be a business person and.
Speaker 3: As an actress, and we're not taught that.
Speaker 2: So when you employ, when those needs are repressed, I would go to the food or the self control to manage those needs. And they cannot be met through eating.
Speaker 3: A bag of chips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to be met taking the chance to voice your request, to voice your opinion, your feelings. And once those needs are met and you're doing it appropriately, you have the courage to do that out of self love, then you don't crave it that much because you're not imploding all those feelings.
Speaker 4: And these are all like pieces of wisdom that have come in time to like you guys are talking about all the things you've learned over the years, but like we're you know, we're also on this podcast, we're going back in time to who what our mindset was in our twenties, and it's just so much harder, I think when you're a young girl to have this sort of of course, you know, recognition of what's healthy, what's not.
Speaker 2: That's the great thing about getting older, guys, is experience and confidence, and I think taking the edge off things. It's not like wisdom, you know, think of this and that, or get afraid of this and that.
Speaker 3: But the edge has taken off for sure.
Speaker 1: I have no Like, if you look at the show and I look at I was, you know, twenty four. Look at say, even if I had been to say to myself, sweety, you're not the size of your body, I would have been like, how do you know? I'm pretty sure it's true. And those voices were so loud and they were so overwhelming, and I couldn't say. I remember being on Alan McBeal and Lucy Lou who's super gorgeous and super healthy about everybody, came back from doing Charlie's Danels. She's like, oh my god, I'm too skinny. And I was like, excuse me, is that a thing?
Speaker 3: Is that a thing?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: How healthy that was that? She was like, oh, yeah, no, I don't feel good.
Speaker 3: I'm too thin.
Speaker 1: And I literally I remember I still remember it right.
Speaker 4: That was like twenty nine pactful to hear that, yeah, And I.
Speaker 1: Was like, wow, and now I recognize that, Like if I'm stru someone who when I'm stressed, I don't eat. I don't think that's good anymore. I don't think it looks good. I don't buy clothes. I go, oh, this isn't healthy.
Speaker 3: I check in and then do you check in with yourself. What am I feeling? What's my stress?
Speaker 1: It's not a victory anymore, but that's I would rather be healthy now than thin, and that that shifts everything. But I didn't have enough of his self to even know that. As to your point, I didn't have enough self love to even know that because I thought, but what if I am the size of my body? What if that is the most important thing about me? Now I know it absolutely is not.
Speaker 2: But you're right, Laura.
Speaker 1: You have to grow up and mature and become more of a whole person to even understand that. We're so young. That's what's so heartbreaking about these young women who are suffering so great.
Speaker 3: Kristin Davis, we are with you. We hear you, girl, Yes, we love you.
Speaker 1: We wish you'd talk to us.
Speaker 4: We all were stressing. We had this wonderful conversation. But we would love to also have Kristin on our.
Speaker 3: Podcast something O. Yes, that would be great.
Speaker 2: Other Memories Melrose Memories.
Speaker 4: Thanks for tuning into the Melrose Minute. Be sure to tune into Heather locklier Part one. It is up right now and Part two will be dropping soon, so you want to be sure to catch part One Before You.
Speaker 2: Part two drops more adventures and memories with Heather Locklear. So fun, I think she should be called Heather no Filter Locklier