Speaker 1: Hello there, Welcome to another episode of the Chuck Podcast. Whether you're watching on YouTube, listening on Spotify, Apple, or wherever else you might listen, I appreciate you being there. And oh, by the way, I now have a free weekly sub stack. It's got to lead item and column in it every Tuesday. It's going to drop tuesdays, the one day we don't drop the podcast. So that's you see what we did there, So I hope you go over there and subscribe to it. In fact, it's something you've heard me dabble in before, but it's a more thorough analysis of how fragile the two major parties are in this moment. I think both the Democratic Party and the Republican Party. You know, as divided as America is between red and blue, right, we're polarized sort of between two sides. The two actual political parties that represent red and blue have never been weaker right and essentially more and they've been dominated by cultural personality over the last twenty years. When it just when it looks like they need refurbishing, occult to personality rises up to sort of paper over their problems. Think Barack Obama for the Democrats or Donald Trump for the Republicans, and yet we are watching around the world the movement where there's you know, we've seen this, there's clearly massive political realignment taking place globally. And what I saw take place in the UK that I brought up a while ago about what happened to the Tories there the fact that they, at least in these last elections were not treated like one of the two major parties. If you did not if you wanted to vote against labor, you didn't vote for the Tories. You voted for the Reform Party UK, the Nigel Farage Party, if you will. And it's sort of a simple premise to me, it's like, how weak are the two brands of the major parties right now? Think about it this way. If Donald Trump said today, we're going to disband the Republican Party and replace it with the MAGA with a new political party, the MAGA Party, who's with me, I'm going to guess seventy percent of the elected Republicans would sign up for the new party, and suddenly you would have a complete exodus from the official club known as the Republican Party. Similarly, if Pete Boutagic, Andy Basheer Gretchen Whitmer AOC banded together and said, you know what, the Democratic brand is broken. It is a mess. It doesn't you know, it's not what it used to be. We need a new left of center party in this country that is focused on preserving the democracy and expanding and thriving and updating it. We need a modern version of this. So we're going to start a new party. And you know, it's sort of like taking the Donald Trump Nafta approach, right, which is, can't stand nafta. So here's the new NAFTA. I got rid of NAFTA because we don't call it NAFTA anymore. But he kept NAFTA, he just renamed it, right. That is, that is arguably how badly the two brands are feeling these days, and how easily they could be rebranded into a new party. And the fact is, when I give you those two potential outcomes of how fragile the two major parties really are, the only thing that keeps them afloat is the duopoly they have on ballid access in the fifty States. If they didn't have this duopoly of ballid access, one or both of these parties would have probably disappeared at least a couple of decades ago. But because of the vehicle that they are for ballot access that actually is connected to my guest today, Rob sand the newest candidate for governor in the state of Iowa. He's basically the Democrats great hope for winning statewide in an actual red state. And I'll get more into Rob sand in a minute. He's currently a statewide elect, the only statewide elected Democrat in the state of Iowa. He's been the state auditor for two years and Democrats have been waiting for him, essentially to finally take the next step, whether it was for a Senate seat or a good natorial seat. And you will hear why he's a Democrat, and it's simply because there is no other alternative. If being an independent were a viable alternative, it sounds like he would be there. And it's for me a reminder of how fragile I think both parties are these days. The Democratic brand is so bad in some places, that is, it is more appealing to some Democrats to run as an independent. Take the newest candidate for governor in the state of Florida, Jason Pizzo, Do realize he was the Democratic leader in the state Senate in fact, just a couple of weeks ago. So here he is technically a leader of the Florida Democratic Party deciding to abandon the party. Now, some of that may be personal, some of that may have to do with personality clashes with the current head of the Florida Democratic Party. You know, there's a little bit of finger pointing than you know, because if he doesn't get his way, that's why he left the party. But the fact that he that he did, he has some resources to do it. And I've told you I think there's definitely Republican fatigue in the state of Florida, a lot of dysantists fatigue in the state of Florida. I don't know if the Democratic Party brand is strong enough to take advantage of it, but I do know if there's a strong independent candidate, it could. It's fascinating to me that the potential leading Democrat in Florida decided to run as an independent, this Jason Pizzo, and the leading independent candidate, a former Republican congressman and lobbyist named David Jolly, decided to become a Democrat and run for governor that way. So it'll be really interesting to see if you're trying to fix the Democratic Party brand, is being a former Republican turned Democrat the way to go as a way to sort of moderate Isaac or central centrism. It infused a little centrism in it and sort of deleftify the brand in Florida left defy de leftified that I inventor word there, or is it being a former Democrat running as an independent? And in some ways we were getting We're going to see both experience experiments take place there on that front. In fact, I'm fascinated to watch what's going on in some of the Senate races in twenty twenty six. You know, you've got John Cornyn, the incumbent Republican senator from Texas who's being primary by the state attorney general. Ken paxident accident is very maga was just like Donald Trump escaped an impeachment attempt. He was impeached but not convicted narrowly. Remember Texa pretty Republican states, so quite a few Republicans voted to impeach him in the state House, and quite a few Republicans voted to convict him in the state Senate just not enough. So you do have a pretty divided Republican Party. And it's a fascinating problem that the National Republicans have with their Texas primary. And this is actually a problem they're starting to starting to percolate throughout the set, you know, as more people debate. Is the Senate in play in twenty twenty six for Democrats? The map's terrible for Democrats, but Republican INFI could actually put more seats in play for them, just and we've seen It's not as if this movie hasn't played before in the theaters. Right. In twenty twenty, Democrats overperformed in center races thanks to bad Republican nominees. In twenty twenty two, Democrats overperformed in center races thanks to bad nominees. In twenty twenty four, Democrats overperformed in Senate races thanks to what say it with me? Bad nominees on the Republican side of the aisle. So here we go again. And so, if you're the National Republican Party and your job is to prevent the Democrats from winning the state of Texas, the best possible way to do that is to ensure that John corn is the Republican nominee. But what if John cornn is simply not popular enough inside the Maga magafied version of the Republican Party in the state of Texas to win that nomination Ken Paxton, if he's a Republican nominee, is makes that seat a lot more vulnerable to the Democrats winning. So if you're the national Republicans, do you convince John Corny to pull at Lisa Murkowski and just simply bolt the primary, run as an independent and try to win a three way race in Texas? I know, on one hand, you can think, well, that's crazy. On the other hand, John Cornan the only shot he may have to win this seat is if he leaves the Republican Party promises that he will cauc us with the Republicans. Like Lisa Murkowski, right, she knew she couldn't win a Republican primary in Alaska, but she also knew she was more popular with independence and with Democrats and with enough Republicans that she could easily win a general and she did it as a ride in and her last name is Murkowski. I still always find that it's like, you know, why is she untouchable? Why can't Trump get rid of her because she's so politically popular in Alaska that with a Murkowski with a three syllable last name that isn't quite easy to spell, she won us a ride in Okay. That's your mic drop, m u Rkowski. When you if your last name was Smith and you ran as a ride in not that impressive Markowski another story. So, which brings me back to Texas. I think the real dilemma there either they either because I don't think Cornin is ever going to win this primary, and what it's going to take for him to win this primary is probably going to divide the Republican Party so much that it may it may become an untenable situation in either direction. A three way race suddenly who knows right? It may? It may, you know, I don't think it works the way everybody thinks it works, that two Republicans on the bat automatically will help the Democrat there. I don't think that's the case. I think Ken Paxton would do more to get the Democrats a chance of Texas than a three way race would. But that's the type of conversation that I think Republicans should be having with themselves in Washington. Of course, it all matters is who's making these decisions. If this is Trump's polit team, well they'd rather have trumpy people. But if this is say John Thune's political team and Tim Scott, who's the current rs C chair, well they may have they may have a different, different point of view. But I do find what's happening in Texas now to be something that it could lead to. You know, again, if Cornan's goal is to win the Senate seat, it may be his best path to win the Senate seats to leave the party, run as an independent and promise to caucus with the Republicans. You can't just not. I do think that, you know, trying to keep your you know, if you don't, you don't go promise to go there, then you would eliminate potential Republicans that might vote for you. But I think that would likely be and especially Colin Allred's the Democratic nominee. Colin Allred ran a race that basically said, hey, I'm a John Cornyan Democrat. You know, all he did was praise John Cornyan. So I think he'd have a harder time being able to differentiate himself from Cornyan, and Cornyn may may actually benefit from having having a third candidate in the race that's done nothing but praise him. So it is, it is I think something worth watching there is I've you know, I have a few other campaign nuggets I want to share North You know, the Republican Party is dealing with too many crowded primaries. With the Senate races. We talked about Texas, there's North Carolina where now Laura Trump is once again thinking about wanting to be in the Senate. Maybe she primaries Tom Tillis. Tom Tillis is somebody who's who's seen is quite vulnerable to the MAGA wing of the Republican Party. He's another one where is Pat McCrory's experience not being able to come even close to beating Ted Budd. He was the non Maga Republican. Ted Budd was the Trump endorsed candidate, and we saw what happened there. If Tillis, you know, is it in the best interest of the Republican Party in the Senate, if they're trying to keep that receipt to have Tom Tillis run as an independent. He's another one. Again, the ballot access laws are not easy in North Carolina. Ditto with Texas to run as a third party or as an independent. Don't get me wrong, but in both of these cases, and I'd throw in Bill Cassidy in Louisiana, where the governor is working with the president to try to find a Republican primary challenger to build Cassidy. Julia Letlow, a congresswoman, is the latest idea being floated. Would Cassidy be better off running as an independent? So you know it is. It is again my bigger theme being you know, you have two You have two party brands here that are broken. You have two party brands that I think are very distrusted by the public. You have two party brands that it where it may be easier running away from that party brand even if you agree with seventy percent of what that party brand stands for and running as an independent if you're a Democrat in Florida, if you're a Democrat in Iowa, if you're a Republican now on mega Republican in Texas, or a non mega Republican in North Carolina. So I definitely think it's something to watch for. There a couple other news topics from the last few days, and I want to I want to I want to talk about here. One is, of course, this Biden book. The excerpts are coming out the book. I'm going to have Jake tapperon pretty soon, who's co author with Alex Thompson of this of this book about uh that is about the Biden cover up? Was it a cover up? You know? Were there people inside the West wing not telling the truth or being disingenuous when people when people like myself would inquire about why Biden couldn't do this event or that event, or was afraid of doing a Super Bowl interview, all of those things. You know that we all saw with our own eyes that he clearly there was something foot. But of course, you know, you you're only as good as as your actual sourcing there, and it's pretty clear a bunch of aids did did their best to prove people from knowing any truths right, keeping cabinet secretaries away from him, keeping Biden away. But there's something as much as that. I think it's terrible that the Bidens are once again trying to come out and defend themselves, putting themselves before the party. You know, they ought to take a page from from George W. Bush. Right after Obama won, after there was. It was clear the Bush brand was done inside the Republican Party. He didn't go out there to try to fight for his legacy. He went and took up painting right, and in many ways by not trying to be out there engaging every day in his legacy, and thanks to Donald Trump, his legacy is oddly improved in the minds of many voters. Certainly his personal legacy, there's still a lot of people question whether, you know, the greatest mistake made and you know, since Vietnam was the Iraq War, and I don't think anybody that that isn't going to change. And what certainly his character and is in his sort of how he you know, how he treated the institution of the presidency as something that has only grown with time and not trying to make, you know, make people uncomfortable by coming back out to defend himself and to say, no, you know, my own popularity is wrong, et cetera, et cetera. So I do think that the bidens ought to take up. But I get human nature wanting to defend yourself. But there's something about these these books where you're gonna have all these people make anonymous claims that well, they were hiding it, or they were doing this, or they were doing that. Well, then shame on you. You know you own this. If you believe the country is at risk of slipping in the democracy, shame on you and all of these anonymous aids, and frankly all the people that work for him that are now they tell us. This is one of those. I think it's Brian Curtis of at the Ringer Is dubs these stories in the sports world. Right every time somebody gets traded, you're like, oh something, and then like right after the person gets traded, then all of a sudden, the beat writer for said team writes the big tell all story about how the relationship between player and the ownership totally broke down, and he calls it. Now they tell us, and this is a now they tell us, right, So now all these Biden aids who didn't say a word for two and a half years are suddenly now speaking anonymously to folks. It's it is or early aids coming out. Where were you at the time when many of us were pointing out he seems to be too old to be running for president. I know I did it quite a bit publicly. People like David Ignatius. And you know what many of those same aides did who are now talking to these authors, They would push back privately and publicly with me and others and say, no, no, no, it's fine, no, no, no, my interactions with them are fine. This is just exaggeration. You're buying into a right wing narrative. So you know, these people have talked about both sides of their mouth. So in many ways, I think this Biden book is only going to not just undermine Biden, but I think make it toxic for anybody that worked for Biden, because then it becomes where were you, How did you participate in the cover up? Pete Bootage? This may mean something for you. You know you were a cabinet secretary. A You're going to now tell us, yeah, I didn't have much interaction with him. Well, then why didn't you say something? I had a cabinet secretary tell me that they had no interaction with them, and wondered about that. I had that off the record. I've after Biden quit, I've since shared it with people. Still not going to share who the cabinet secretary was, because that's not my I'm trying to you know, I believe in keeping your word as a journalist, and it was an off the record as far as being told to me. And I think it's up to that person to decide whether to speak out or not. But I think it's a question anybody who worked directly for Biden, So Gina Ramondo if she thinks about running for president, Pete bootajej all of these cabinet secretaries are now going to have to answer for all of this. And I do wonder if it's going to make anybody that touches Biden persona non grata, not just anybody directly in the Biden world. As far as you know, it could be the way, you know, anybody touching Carter was sort of exiled for decades in the Democratic Party in the eighties and nineties. It really wasn't until Obama that sort of parts of Carter world were resurrected in a positive light inside the Democratic Party. That's some nearly, you know, nearly thirty years later. That's probably the best Biden world can hope for, is that they need to the generation that lived through this mess will have to go away before they maybe get a second chance at the historical record. A lot of it. Those are going to depend on on what the Trump presidency looks like three years from now and what kind of impact it has. Because everybody who worked for Biden, and Joe Biden himself to me, is directly responsible for everything Trump does in the second term, right They their behavior and their actions led us to this place, their contributors to the place we are at. So they better hope it's a successful second term for Trump because they own a piece of that failure too, and the recovery for America from its economic what could be an economic disaster. I mean, obviously we're escaping short term problems here by this pause with China, but let's be honest. Already his management of the economy has cost a lot of people, a lot of people money, and it is still going to create inflation. So it is. It is now. He's already done damage. The question is can he mitigate the damage he's done or is more coming He's just delayed when that happens. But mark my words, if you're not happy with any part of this second term and you're angry, some of that anger belongs to the Bidens, and some of that anger belongs to the people who had no guts to speak out when it mattered, and waited till talking to an author of a book. Finally, there's the story of the DNC in this issue of David Hogg. Oh, of course, was an activist born out of the Parkland shooting in Florida. I'll be honest, it's very personal to myself. I have my own connections to somebody who's in that school. Uh when when when it when it happened, So I have a lot of personal empathy for anybody that went through that, you know. I think the way David Hogg has conducted his politics is hard to It is hard to it's hard to to see him as a member of the leadership of the d n C considering what the role of the d n C is now. There's obviously people that are unhappy with him that as vice chair of the d n C he got elected vice chair of DNC, that he now wants to work with a group to primary essentially democratic incumbents in very blue areas who he believes are stagnant right who need generational change. In all of this, this has created an uproar that a member of the DNC leadership is talking about primarying elected Democrats, and I understand that criticism. It was like, wait a minute, you can work on the outside, you chose to work on the inside. When you choose to work on the inside, you're choosing to work with the Democrats that have been elected and help new Democrats get elected, not necessarily purge the party from the inside. So I have empathy for the criticism of Hawk. But now they're trying to create a So apparently now they've come up with a instead of instead of forcing the situation about Okay, you've got to make a decision, David Hog, are youre going to work on the outside or work on the inside, they've come up with a convoluted It feels like a pollit bureau decision. Well, we've got to figure out how to get rid of this person, but we don't want to make it look like it's politics. We want to make it look like it's a technicality. So in this case, there was a challenge. They's supposed to be gender equity in the leadership of the DNC. Well after when the DNC chair won and it turned out to be a man not a woman, it should have triggered that one of the vice chair can't you know that there was going to be gender equity on the vice chair level and there was not, so there's been a complaint file. So now the DNC has decided they have to redo this vice chair race. So all they've done is turned and David Haggas said, well, this is really about them being angry at me. They're just using this technicality to force a to force a new vote. Malcolm Kinyata, who is the other person elected vice chair, clearly doesn't like that he's been attached to the David Hog controversy. He's up said about this, let me just tell you something. I think that DNC looks ridiculous right now, just effing ridiculous. It's behaving like a pollet bureau and not like an actual functioning political party. In a democracy, a pollet bureau would come up with a convoluted technicality to purge somebody from the leadership because it's making other people unhappy, rather than actually dealing with the issue straight up front. So what they've done is they're actually going to make a martyr of Hogg. You know, like I said, I'm not sitting here. I don't I don't think what Hog was doing was was you know, I thought it was I thought it was poor form. I thought it was in bad taste right to be elected member of the leadership and then work to sort of purge Democrats. But I also think the way this entire episode is being treated, how the chair is dealing with this, how it's turned into this back room thing, only makes the whole party look even less organized than we all thought they were. Clearly there's a leadership vacuum. This has not been a good start for the new DNC chair, Ken Martin. I can tell you there's quite a few Democrats I hear from who are wondering why the chair of the Wisconsin Party, Ben Wickler, who now is leaving there, who's had a ton of success, why he was an elected chair, and openly wondering would he be allowed this mess to go on? And I think, for whatever reason, Ken Martin is not taking a strong hand on this, feels like he's almost letting, letting the letting insiders get involved too much on this. Either way, it looks ridiculous. It's going to make a martyr out of David Hogg. And either he's realized he's elected again, which is talk about major with with everybody knowing this giant amounts of egg on their faces, or they don't, and it looks like a bizarre party purge. And all you've done is is thrown fuel at the fire of the of the insurgent class wanting to get rid of the establishment. So it is one of those massively unforced errors. And leave it to the DNC to somehow get in its own way while they have this target rich environment in what has been a sort of incompetence on the Trump administration, whether it's in government cutting, managing the economy, or all these very shady deals that seem to be taking place in the new crypto capital of the world in the Arabian Peninsula there. And yet it's the Democrats shooting at each other, just making a mockery, frankly, of their own party here. And they're going hog wild in all the wrong ways. All right, So coming up, I got Rob sand And here's why you need to care about this race. This is easily the best chance Democrats have of truly having a red steak governor to stand next to Andy Basheer and Laura Kelly. Andy Bsher of Kentucky, Lora Kelly of Kansas. This will easily be their best shot at it. And I'll tell you this, if he wins, Iowa is going to be the first in the nation CAUCUSUS. They will get their place back if Sand proves that they can win in this environment, and it will be a better environment for him to run in than he ran in twenty two. If he wins that race, it will put Iowa in first in the nation, which will be really good news if you're Pete Boutagid's although as I pointed out, I do think his Biden baggage is going to get heavier and heavier as he goes about. But take a listen to Rob Sand, because this is a guy who's sort of you'll hear it, kind of reluctant Democrat. And you know, previous episode I had Jasmine Crockett, who's she's not a reluctant Democrat, but she's got a point of view of how the party should be messaging. Now I think you'll hear a different point of view from Rob Sand, So be curious what you think. Of course, let me know at ask Chuck at the Chuck podcast dot com. And with that I'll sneak in a break and afterwards you get Rob sand.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Joining me now is somebody who is a new candidate for office, at least a top statewide office. It is Rob sand He's been the two term democraticly elected state auditor of Iowa, and he's now announced that he's running for governor. And to timestamp this, I'm interviewing him about four hours after he unveiled his public campaign for governor. So, Robier, you've been arguably looking to this moment for a few years now. How does it feel now that you jumped in the water.
Speaker 2: I'm excited for this moment, Chuck. I think what really one of the things that really crystallized it and made it clear that it was necessary was the gutting of the Auditor's office bill that took effect I think about not quite two years ago, where the Iowa Legislature and the governor literally made it legal for state agencies and departments in Iowa to hide documents from the state Auditor's office. It's the kind of thing that just makes you go okay, like.
Speaker 1: What do you believe it was a direct partisan attack on your office meeting You had had a lot of success running, you know, doing public corruption, and because you're a Democrat and the legislature's Republican. How much did that factor into the defunding of your office?
Speaker 2: I would I would say this, it was really more of a question of being serious about trying to do the job and do public service, as opposed to being one of the insiders that's like, oh, you don't want me to dig into that program, well don't worry about it. Then I won't because you told me not to, and hey, we're all friends, right, you know that kind of stuff, because I wouldn't go along. I wouldn't I wouldn't do the go along to get along kind of thing. And so I think that, yes, it was easier for them to do it because I was a Democrat, But if I had been a Republican who was really serious about public service not politics, they would have tried. I just don't know if they could have gotten enough majorities to go along with it, because we had bipartisan opposition in the Iowa House to it as it was.
Speaker 1: Right, well, I would imagine. I mean, you know, again, public coruption is always one of those things that there's usually pieces of both parties that are that are bipartisan in favor of strengthening public corruption. You know, offices that target public coruption, and then those that believe for a variety of reasons, some may be nefarious and some may be me me maybe intellectually honest that oh, it gets in the way of business, right, it gets in the way of regulation, or it gets in the way of government service. So I buy that. But let me ask you this. I think that I think your job being auditor to me would both be interesting and also though sometimes a negative place to come from. And here's my and here's where I'm curious where if you the auditor's job is to find you know, to find ways fraud and abuse, right essentially right, And so if you don't find it, does it mean everything is going well or you didn't do a good enough job looking for it? Right? Like, I feel like it's a never like. I don't feel like you could ever feel satisfied that you're doing the job. You know that you've you've found every thing, because I think the public is probably like me, a little bit cynical assuming well, there's always a little bit of public corruption. The question is are you finding it all?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And I think that's there's going to be a great piece for this, which is a great answer for that. Here we uncovered a record amount of misspent money in my first term, and the answer to that from politicians in Des Moines was to go, hey, we got to stop this guy. He's actually doing his job.
Speaker 1: This is great. Should we reform our practices?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: You know, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'd think that that would be the answer. But that's the difference, and that to me is the like I think of the heart of this campaign. It's really the question of public service and government trying to serve all Iowans versus politics and having it serve insiders and special interests. And I don't think that you could have a clearer example of that than literally them looking at us doing our job really well and going we got to slow him down.
Speaker 1: Did you think about out not running as a Democrat but running as an independent?
Speaker 2: Look, I guess i'd say this people who know me. I'm glad that you asked that question, because people who know me know that I'm not satisfied with a two choice system, and I think it's important that we talk about that. The bottom line is most of us have experienced this in the ballot booth, where we look at our options and we see Democrat, Independent, Republican, and we see the independent and we like the Independent, but we're also like, man, if I vote for the Independent, I know I'm just throwing my vote away. And there's that frustration of just sort of the being trapped right, being a prisoner of this system while we are also participants in it. That's the bottom line. It's the same question for a candidate. So I would love to have a system in Iowa where independent candidates can actually get elected very easily, but we're gonna have to change how the system works before we get there.
Speaker 1: How would you change that in Iowa to do that? I mean, look, I take your point here, and yet I would just sort of warn you and other people. I bet you the Tories didn't think that they were ever going to get knocked out from their top two status in political parties in the UK, and guess what they just saw happen to them. And the Democratic brand is quite weak, particularly in the agricultural Midwest, even at a time when it's not as if the Republican brand is doing great. It's just, you know, they've succeeded by not being the Democratic party brand. You, being an auditor, I would argue it's better to be an independent than to be a member of either political party, right to feel like you could depletely function in that. But again that's why I asked that question.
Speaker 2: Sure, but if you do that, then you get back to the same thing, which is, if I run as an independent, the Republicans go out and they collect petitions to have somebody run as a Democrat, and they have someone registered as a Democrat, or they find some absolutely furious Democrat who's so mad at me for running as an independent, and then you've got a three way race and we all know what happens. I am the spoiler, or maybe it's the Democrat that's the spoiler, but either way, so before it begins, because of the way we structure elections, right, So the answer to how you do that in Iowa is again like and well, actually I want to go to a different piece of your point here about the Tories and sort of being a favored party. This is supposed to be about solving problems. This is government is supposed to be about people coming together and deciding, Okay, what do we need to address this issue? How do we address that issue? So many of our founders warned us watch out for factionalism, watch out for partisanship. And we are at the point here where people actually say, you know, like, oh, well, you know, you'd have to be careful about that, because what if then you're not electing a Democrat. Well what if we were actually solving lots and lots of problems, but we were having people with a different letter behind their name, whether it's Republican or independent or anything else do it. I'm here for solving problems, and I think as long as we have a system that allows elected officials and candidates to sort of say, well, I don't have to solve your problems, as long as I can convince you that so and so over here is worse than me. I don't think we're solving in a lot of problems because there's no incentive to do it. So I think your answer to be more specific if you want the more specific answer. Right now, in the state of Iowa, independent voters are not allowed to participate in primaries that their tax dollars pay for. I think that's wrong. So I think we should have a single, open primary, and then I'd love to see approval voting on the second side of that for three or four or five candidates. So here's three to five that make it through to the general vote for all of them that you approve of. There is no rank choice. The tabulation is available automatically. It's easy.
Speaker 1: And then the general is a fifty percent. Whoever gets fifty percent wins or just top vote getter in your just.
Speaker 2: Top vote getter. So this is what Fargo, North Dakota does. You have four or five candidates in the general election, and you, as the voter, you can vote for all of them or one of them, just however many you approve of, and so whoever as the most votes still wins the election, plain and simple.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that seems rational and logical, which will be mean? So it could never succeed, right, never succeed You don't have the duopoly? Is it going to allow for it to happen? So describe your relationship with the Democratic Party. You've been a Democrat or your whole life. But is it you know, if you win, is it a victory for the Democratic Party or is it a victory for independence? In your mind?
Speaker 2: In Iowa, So I was registered as an independent when I first registered to vote. I did register as a Democrat soon after that because I realized in order to vote in the primary, I had to pick my poison. The differences. I still talk about the fact that it was poison that I picked.
Speaker 1: Do you still feel that way? I mean, I look, I feel there are political parties because I'm a character voter. I really am a character and a problem solver voter. And I'm lucky enough to live in a state in Virginia where I it's no party registration. You get to pick which you vote in. You know, you pick for that cycle, but you get to pick whichever one you want. It's a little a little more choice. So I certainly as a journalist, like that too, because you can't pigeonhold me by looking at my voting record always always voting Democrat or always voting Republican. But I like that just as a voter, and I assume more voters like that. But it does sound like you're you're a reluctant partisan.
Speaker 2: I'm a public servant. I live in a system where in order to be effective, just like when I was a voter in my early twenties, I have to choose one or the other. And so that's what I've done. If I win, Is it a victory for the Democratic Party, that would be for other Democrats to decide. I've never been to the DNC. I'm clear about what I believe. I'm clear about the fact that I'm a Democrat because I have to pick one or the other. I think. I think that if I win, then maybe that helps other people figure out what's effective out there. But I'm not doing it. I want to be a public servant to the whole state of Iowa. I don't want to be a leader for a political party. In my time at the State Ouitor's office, we had Democrats, Independents, and Republicans always in senior leadership. I actually appointed people to the most senior positions in the office who had made campaign contributions to my opponent from twenty eighteen. I think it's important to do that because do.
Speaker 1: You plan on doing that if you win this time?
Speaker 2: I would absolutely do that. If I win, Yeah, I would want to have a bipartisan camp at one percent or try that may I'd like to have some independence, yeah.
Speaker 1: Somebody that may be a contributor to the venture Republican nominee. And I saw that congressation.
Speaker 2: It's a lot easier to find, you know, You've got a bigger circle to cast from if you just say a voter or a supporter or a registered Republican. But if if I found someone who was a donor who also was well qualified to do the work, that wouldn't stop me. It hasn't stopped me in the past.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about You know, you're running because you think the direction of Iowa has been going in the wrong direction. So let's talk about that. You know, from the outside, the biggest change that I've noticed that Governor Reynolds did had to do with school funding.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And it's certainly when you're on the ground in Iowa, when you when you get past the sort of the the red versus Blue the national conversation and you ask what's going on in Iowa? That's usually the first issue I hear about? Is that still the first issue you hear about?
Speaker 2: It's that in its rising costs, which is obviously a you know, issue that's driven mostly by national politics and international politics. But yeah, education is way up there. And the bottom line on that to me is just the complete lack of accountability for how those vouchers, how that money gets spent. The money is required, So this was one hundred million dollars last year, and the Reynolds administration didn't let us audit the controls of the program. Again, they use that new law just as we predicted they would to literally hide our ability to see what was going on with money. But even even Chuck, if the program is working the way it's supposed to, all of that money, the whole one hundred million, has to first go to tuition. Once it's paid his tuition. There's only one thing on God's green earth that can't be done with the money. With private schools, they can't pay a rebate to parents whose kids are going there, but that's it. Any other way they want to use the money totally legal, and they don't, and we're not allowed to audit it. So I don't even know how we would find out that.
Speaker 1: To me, can say, you're allowed to audit the public school use of taxpayer money.
Speaker 2: Public schools are audited every year in the state of Iowa. Now we have one hundred.
Speaker 1: Private schools using taxpayer dollars are not going to be scrutinized at all.
Speaker 2: What are we doing here? What are we doing here? It blows my mind, But again it's part of the reason that it's like okay, like we need a change in direction like this. This state truly is in a moment where their focus on the people they're taking care of is tiny. There are three million people in this state taking care of insiders. They're taking care of special interests. Odyssey, the company that runs the program, We found out after months of stonewalling, they actually doubled the pay for Odyssey to administer the state's voucher program, with no additional obligations on behalf of Odyssey in return. They just said, you know what, we told you, we're going to give you this amount of money, We're going to double it. Happy birthday, have fun.
Speaker 1: Hey. I want to dig into this because, to me, the biggest challenge for the school choice advocates is rural America. You know, I'd love you know if you live in rural parts of this country, whether it's in Iowa, Florida, Texas, these are three states that have been very aggressive about this. It's not like it's easy to start up another school. And either you're going to have some questionably accredited people trying to do startup schools in areas that they've never done it before, and they're going to be using taxpayer dollars to experiment and it could fall on its face. That's something we found out in Florida. You know, if you had a good administrator, maybe the school went well, but if you didn't, all of a sudden, money disappeared and parents were wondering where's all these promised teachers. But it's I've noticed, particularly in rural parts of Texas and Florida, even among very conservative voters, they're very nervous about this because they're like, where's the choice. You're really basically saying, I either homeschool my kids and maybe you're going to give me some money to do that, or I maybe get into a pod with some other like minded parents. But that is actually, why can't we just make the school in my neighborhood better? You know?
Speaker 2: Jim Pillen in Nebraska, Republican governor said what maybe three years ago, Hey, we are going to really increase our investment in Nebraska public schools. And what do you know? According to US News and World Report, Nebraska is now ranked higher than Iowa for public schools, which as in Iowan and someone that has a rivalry with Nebraska the way much of my state does really annoys me.
Speaker 1: And you grew up there, tell me correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe in the nineties and this is when you were going to school there Iowa, Massachusetts, they were in the top five all the time. As far as we was school, I'm always the Iowa Public school system was wash was something that was the envy of others in the Midwest.
Speaker 2: Was it not put we put it on our quarter, our quarter, our US quarter for Iowa says foundation and education. And now we're in the middle of the pack. It is in America because they've just.
Speaker 1: Just I don't I mean pulling again. I understand the frustration with a specific local school that parents can have, right, And this doesn't feel like solving a problem. This just feels like, we know you don't like it, So here go. Let's create competition, but not everything. Look, we can't create a competitive US mail service. Okay, A service is a service. You know what you do is you improve the service.
Speaker 2: Well, and I want to you know, they like to throw around this phrase school choice. What that really means is that private schools get to choose their students right right the public schools. You walk in the door, Hey, we're going to educate you. The rule should be, Hey, if we want real competition, well, competition means everybody follows the same rules and may the best fill in the blank win, whether it's a football team or a school. You want to have competition, all right, fine, private schools, in order to get this money, you too have to take every student that says they want to attend there. Oh well that's hard, it's hard to plan. Yeah, well that's a difficulty that public schools face. You said you wanted to have competition, same rules apply, job.
Speaker 1: You know what's common around here, and it's common everywhere. But this I could just tell you from experiences. You know, I have some parents who have a child that maybe needs some extra help, special needs, some you know, in different variations. Private schools can say, no, we don't have the services to help your kid. You should try this place. So then, of course your choice is actually smaller than it was because maybe there's only one private school that has decided to invest in helping kids with this same sort of you know who has a different learning plan than kids over here. And guess what happened. It turned out he was better off staying in Arlington public schools. And his kid got some services because the public school had to provide the services, and it was actually really good services.
Speaker 2: I know a family in our neighborhood that that same experience. They switched. Our kids are in public schools in Iowa. They switched from a private school to the public school and it's been going much better for them. But again, I just to me, this is just a question of Okay, you want fairness, you want competition, you want choice, then actually implement policies that do that, as opposed to just saying those words, because the law in the state of Iowa right now doesn't do those things. Most of the private schools have had their tuition skyrocket, So if the idea was to help you get this money to get so you can cover tuition, and then tuition skyrockets, it's still out of reach for those people. But I'm not sure that that's ever what this was about. Because we also have no income limits on the program. So the wealthiest islands this year are using this program where people in rural areas where they don't have private schools or paying state taxes, and now a lot of that money is going to wealthy islands to send their kids to private schools.
Speaker 1: No. I mean, it's what happens whenever you increase money into the system who the beneficiary gets to, it becomes inflationary. They get to raise their prices, and they will raise their prices. It's like that. All right, Look, we're making a pretty good argument against the school choice, but we're not. I want to hear you make your tell me how you can how can we get because I do think there's a lot of frustration that here we are. Basically it's over one hundred years since we started our public school infrastructure in this country, let alone in the state of ioware everywhere else, and it really hasn't changed, right, Like, I think this is why there's parental frustration here. I don't want to parents wanting something different is a real issue. Now, you and I were saying, Hey, what you think is a fix? Is it going to work the way you think it's going to work? So what's your plan to improve public schools and more importantly, to restore confidence in the public school system with these parents?
Speaker 2: Sure? So we started a government efficiency program in twenty nineteen that is so good at saving tax dollars it's actually been copied in two other states. It's called PIE Public Innovations and Efficiencies, and it covers cities and counties too, but it also covers school districts. We have an incredible checklist of ways that they can save money, and the more of them that they implement, the more money they're going to save. And So what I would like the state to do we have right now a really meaningful surplus that's presently just sort of sitting there. I would like us to actually start a revolving fund to help schools with the upfront cost for those efficiency investments, because most folks know, you know, if you're going to make some efficiency investments, you pay a little bit upfront and it pays off down the road. So we could use those state dollars to help dig in and make efficiency improvements. Those would help us do the things that we know make schools more effective, parental involvement, smaller class sizes, right, But you can do those if you're saving that money in a way where it doesn't necessarily cost more money. I think that's a no brainer. And I don't know why we're sitting here in twenty twenty five and it's only being proposed right now as opposed already being done.
Speaker 1: It does seem as if this has become such a partisan issue that Republicans feel like they have to be anti public school even if they want their local I mean, we've turned it into almost a litmus test on the right. So make your case to a conservative that they should want to spend more time investing in the public school system rather than in a private school.
Speaker 2: Carb app part of my belief in public schools is because of my patriotism. I love this This country is about democracy. It's about all Americans working together. The one place in our lives where we can meet everyone is when we are students in public schools. Whatever you do after that, whether it's you're going to college, while you're going to college with people who go to college. Are you going to be an electrician, Well, you're going to be an apprentice electrician with other folks learning to be an electrician.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Whatever path you choose after that point is a narrowing experience. One of the best experiences you can have to understand just how good the people are who surround us is being a part of and supporting public schools where the kids you are next to are the kids who are from wealthy families and from poor families. The kids you're there are from well educated families or not well educated families. The kids you're next to are from families with both parents working or zero parents working. You know, and you understand society, I think so much better. And that gives you such a better sense of who we are as a state or as a country. If you're participating in public schools.
Speaker 1: Look, I went to a public high school in Miami, Florida that was nineteen in the late nineteen eighties. It was a third to third third, third Latino, third African American, third white. It was pretty segregated inside the school. I'm not going to sit here and say it wasn't you'd have friend groups, but there were plenty of ways that it wasn't segregated, and in fact, you ended up with relationships because of a student activity. Maybe it was in sports, maybe it was in music, whatever it is, and it Look, it does give you a better understanding of the world we live in rather than some fantasy, you know, isolated bubble. No, that's a good argument. Let me ask you this on Governor Reynolds. What's a policy that what are some policies that you're going to keep if you're elected governor. What has she done right?
Speaker 2: I was delighted to see the state require that public schools have a cell phone, Paul, to limit the usage of cell phones. And I actually want to go back to one thing you had just said there about you know the friends that you made. This weekend, I went home to Decora, my hometown, and invited high school buddies to come over. And I was sitting there with two of my best friends from high school. One does construction work, bridge construction, the other one does autobody work. And their wives came over, their kids came over. We had a great time. One of their wives is a public school teacher, although she's in Minnesota. The other one, until very recently, was a teller at a bank. These are smart people, and I know them, and I know they have tons of common sense, and then they have great worth a work ethic, and that they're smart because I spent twelve years in public schools growing up with them. And it doesn't matter what people's choices are after I think that they're smarter or than some of the people that I went to college with. And I think it's important to understand that but you need to get that experience before you can understand that.
Speaker 1: Right. No, it's good. Go back to Governor Reynolds. What she done, right? Oh yeah, yeah, school phone, cell phone ban, anything else that, Yeah, policies you'd like to keep that she's been doing.
Speaker 2: I was happy to see that one done. I was glad to see the state government reorganization done. For the most part. There were pieces of it that I wouldn't have done. But we had thirty six cabinet level agencies in Iowa. I don't think that we needed that many. I don't know, thirty six that's more than the federal government. Yeah, so now we're down to sixteen. I don't know that sixteen is the magic number, but certainly we did not need thirty six. So that was a good move. Wow, thirty six.
Speaker 1: So you came of age politically during arguably the most bipartisan era in the history of Iowa. Right. It was one R and one D for senators, literally two and two, you know, be it two to two of the congressional delegation, three to two when it was five, you know, going back and forth, you had a you know, what was it twelve years of sixteen years of Republican governors followed by twelve years of Democratic governors, right, and it was a very even now right, there's not a clean It wasn't a clean Republican suite. But Iowa has shifted, or it feels like it's shifted. Has it shifted or is this a is this a red mirage? Is this a Trump phenomenon that will look like an outlier ten years from now.
Speaker 2: So there's kind of two pieces of my answer to that question. One is there are still a huge number of islands that are focused on the candidate, not in the party, or you know, public service rather than politics. In twenty twenty two, Tom Miller and Mike Fitzgerald both ended up about one percent shy of winning theirs for state treasure and Attorney General. If those guys had won, we would be the only state in the country with an evenly split delegation for the state offices stay wide offices. That would be a measure where you could say, literally, we are the most purple state, right, and we were one percent off of that. So Republicans have won a lot of elections in Iowa lately, but Iowans are still just sort of looking for the person, right, and this is why this state I think went for Obama twice and then Trump three times, not because the state changed overnight, but because both of those guys were outsiders who promised to change politics.
Speaker 1: No, it's I completely agree that they have more in common than they don't, that that is what they're that bond of the voter was looking for an outsider, shake up the system, don't keep the system running as it's been. Yeah, so does that mean you're gonna do you think it would behove the Democratic Party if Iowa were first in the nation on their side of the isle. Again, I do.
Speaker 2: Make we're gonna and we're going to follow Iowa law. I'm not confroned with what the d n C says, but sure.
Speaker 1: But but yeah, the case to the d n C like why should they why should I you know, I I can I know the case i'd make of why Iowa should be first of the nation. And I and I you know, folks who listened to know my father grew up in eastern Iowa, Waterloo. I've got more family buried in Edgewood, Iowa than I do a live in the state of Iowa. So I'm a I'm an Eastern Iowa guy, I know, I know the area well, and I think Iowans are good at doing this. But but make a make up, make the case that you have to make to the d n C.
Speaker 2: To do this. Sure, pretty straightforward. Iowans have been doing this for a very long time, folks like yourself. I don't know if you ever said it specifically, but there are other reporters who, when they were here for the Caucuses would say, Man, I've been in every state and I've done this for years. Nobody asks better questions than Iowa voters. Nobody's more into it, No one is more you know, I appreciate that you made a personal phone call to me, but I'm gonna still yeah, I'm gonna I'm still going to make sure that I have a chance.
Speaker 1: To like, I love my friends at New Hampshire too. There they asked tough questions to the New Hampshire voters. Good at this too. I've always said the two of you together are good at this, by way, go go for it now.
Speaker 2: Well, but then, you know, then the DNC comes in here and says, okay, well Iowa, oh uh, they complain about uh diversity, and they complain I can't remember what the other thing was. But then they added a state that was less diverse, own competitiveness, and then they added another state that was also less.
Speaker 1: Competitive, less competitive. Right yeah, Now, look, I actually think they're the real rejecting Iowa first in the nation status is also sending a message to a whole group of voters that they don't want them to be Democrats. And I think that is here, you know what they subtly this is the message that I think this is not too subtle, not at all. And I mean, look, Eastern Iowa was the great example. This is as democratic it used to, you know, you like, I don't have to tell you this. The state was basically the east side was Democrat, the west side was Republican, and literally des Moines in the middle was the swing area still is the swing area. But Donald Trump racked up all sorts of support along the Mississippi River and in Bait where you grew up in the court you've seen it firsthand. Is it as much of what did what did the MAGA movement do in Eastern Iowa? Or is it what the Democratic Party didn't do in Eastern Iowa.
Speaker 2: Look, it's always a little bit of six on one and a half dozen in the other. Right, I mean two things can be true at once. Again, keep in mind that during those presidential races, Democrats also nominated consummate insiders. Right. I don't think that that helped, not in a place where people look at politics and they see a bunch of bs when what they want is people working together to just solve problems.
Speaker 1: You know, the last time you and I were face to face, I think it was into Korra and I was doing a piece about what happened to the Democrats in eastern Iowa. And you know, the one Democrat that these folks kept bringing up was Pete Bootage. They don't bring it up. They were like Hillary Clinton never came in sixteen I'd hear that all the time. She never came. She'd fly to Des Moines, do a few events within driving range of Des Moines, and then leave again. And I heard similar complaints in twenty twenty by Biden and some of these others. But Pete was the one doing it the old fashioned way, and he was showing up in these towns and then, oh look who ended up overperforming in the caucauses. I'm shocked that campaigning worked you know.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think that goes to the idea of listening and how much that can matter to voters. Let me tell you a story from a month ago, Chuck, that still blows my mind. There's a conservative group in northwest Iowa in what you would probably pronounce Gaza. It's Gaza here in Iowa. Gaza. They're the gay patriots in their conservative group, and they have a hard time getting some of the Republican elected officials in the state of Iowa to come there to do a town hall. I'm an open book. They reached out said will you come to a town hall? I said absolutely. I went up there. We had a great event. I don't know if we had seventy eighty ninety people. We had Q and A, which they ended up pre screening. It wasn't my request. When I do buy one hundred town halls, I don't spreak, prequeens, spreek, I don't pre screen questions. But times I can't. I can't. I can't even say it once slowly. But when they announced, Chuck that I was going to come talk to them, the Iowa GOP headquarters read them the Riot Act. They treated these Iowans like they own them, and that to me is the kind of stuff that man, it just makes me want to fight the idea that a political party would call people and sort of tell them, don't you go listening to your state wide elected official. Don't you go and asking questions of the state wide elected official. There's something deeply wrong in the establishment of that party right now, and that, to me is a great, great example of it.
Speaker 1: Well that look, that's usually how party runs end in a state, where there becomes where you're so entrenched, you're so used to winning that you you think you can bully, you know, you think you can keep it up. That's usually the beginning of an unravel on that. Let me let me get you out of here. I want you to do a shorthand version of the of the of the lottery scam because you wrote a book. You wrote a true crime book, and I think it's pretty good. It really reminds me of the McDonald's monopoly scam because it was a similar it was a similar discovery. And for those that remember that Netflix special about the McDonald's thing, this had to do with was it Powerball and the Mega Because I des moins headquarters for a couple of a hot lot of these multi state lotteries, and I'm guessing you didn't even think it was as corrupt as you ended up finding out. Give me the Give me the elevator, I guess the long elevator ride version of the story.
Speaker 2: Sure. Bottom line is there was a guy who had the job of writing the code that was going to pick random numbers through a computer program. And you put a little bit extra into that code so that on two dates a year, if that date fell on a Wednesday or a Sunday, I think it was, if the draw was happening after eight pm, if all three of those things would meet, then instead of using a random number generator, it would use a six variable formula to sort of pick the seed. And so, of course, because he was an insider, he knew, he knew, he knew what day this could happen, right, and he would know what those variables were so he could go out and buy a small number of tickets and guarantee a win. He his best friend, his brother, and then some guys who are big foot hunters because his brother is one, and they're believers.
Speaker 1: Meaning like bigfoot, like bigfoot sasquatch.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah somewhere. Yeah he might be somewhere, but he is, but he is definitely. In my book, which is called The Winning Ticket, they.
Speaker 1: Were able to have a big foot story that only helps your true crime maarity.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well they were able to get away with this for effectively for a decade, and we found.
Speaker 1: Out how often did they win? I mean, so they and what would they do? Were they being careful, like not trying to win the whole thing, winning small like because you know, sometimes the best way to rip somebody off is not to try to get the big score, but like you get ten medium size scores.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I mean the Iowa one was a very big one. They had a couple of tiny jackpots in there for twenty k, but they were winning jackpots of over a million dollars. And one of my favorite stories in the book actually is about how the first one they actually had the FBI come and question the brother about how the money had gotten one. He was questioned while he was in a hospital bed because he broke both of his legs while falling out of a tree big foot hunting. So there's that. But when Eddie the Mastermind was trying to convince his best friend. Hey, it's okay, don't worry about it. We can do this a second time. One of the things he shared with him only at that point, after the best friend had already won one jackpot, was.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, this is how easy this is.
Speaker 2: This is how sure I am. The FBI actually questioned my brother when I did this with him before I did it with you the first time, and the guy I blue was top because he hadn't. That was the first time he learned about this other jackpot. Not only was there another jackpot, but also the FBI had questioned some of the people involved, so he got very He got a lot less happy with his best friend after that.
Speaker 1: It's always nice when the when the people you're you're investigating aren't that bright.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know what, This is human nature, and Chuck, you wanted to We wanted to wrap it up. This is why we have checks and balances. This is why we want people to be led, not into temptation. This is why the Constitution is a genius document, because when you give one person all the power, eventually they're gonna misuse it. And they also they're gonna make mistakes.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go. These what's been harder on the Iowa farmer, the tariff uncertainty or the aid contracts going away.
Speaker 2: Good question. Most of the folks that I'm talking to right now are pretty focused on tariffs. I mean, it's just you want to be able to grow what you're going to grow and fight for the price that you think is the right price. But when you don't know where the price is going, because you have no idea what's going to happen next, it is so hard to make that decision. And most people want to They want to sink or swim according to their own decision making. But when there's all this uncertainty out there, they they they are sort of trapped in this system that they have no control over, which then means they have very little control over their own success.
Speaker 1: This is going to be one of those rare occasions where there's full bipartisan support against these tariffs. And I have seen Chuck Grassley. He came out very quickly trying to you know, because he's the only one.
Speaker 2: He's the only one.
Speaker 1: I am curious. Do you do you is? And that's why I was going to ask you. Has the State of Iowa filed onto that lawsuit against the tariffs or not.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, and I would be shocked if they do, because our attorney general.
Speaker 1: But if you were sitting there, if you were working with Tom Miller again, would you would you be pushing him.
Speaker 2: In that I think they I like. I like Chuck Grasse's answer. I would agree with if these tariffs work, I'm going to say, amen, helllujah. But I don't think they're going to work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to see how they're going to work. I don't This is not the nineteen twenties. And by the way, they didn't really work in the nineteen twenties either. Rob said, it's going to be a fascinating campaign. You're going to be you know, there's a lot more riding on your on your campaign than maybe you may realize, which is, you know, belief and whether I was a swing state again, belief of if you win, I bet you first in the nation status comes with you. I know that's not why you're running for governor, but I just have a feeling that that sort of the perception of the Midwest is a swing territory, the perception of Iowa. All of those things probably on your shoulders. Whether you like it or not. I don't know if you whether you appreciate that or not.
Speaker 2: I'm just going to do my job.
Speaker 1: Well, look, it's going to be an interesting race, and do you expect a primary.
Speaker 2: There's someone who's said that she'll run. We'll see if she really does. I got no problem with the primary.
Speaker 1: And there's gonna be probably a pretty big primer around there on the other side, I.
Speaker 2: Would imagine, so, but you know, we'll find out. I'll tell you this, whoever comes out of it is going to be an advocate for lockstep, the agenda that Kim Renolds has run that I think is unpopular in the State of Islands right now. I think it's a change in a new direction.
Speaker 1: You're betting on that this is going to be a change a change environment no matter who comes out in anomine.
Speaker 2: I'm a guy that looks at politics and is mostly disappointed with what it is, so I might change you guy regardless.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, Rob, I'll be watching closely, as you know, and hopefully i'll get you back here again.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks, Joe.
Speaker 1: Well, I have a feeling you should pin that interview with Rob sand There'll be interesting things in there. We may revisit it when twenty twenty six comes. But you know, you could argue how Rob sand goes so goes the future of the Democratic Party as a national party. They need to recover in places like Iowa if they're going to be a viable national party. All right, let's do a little ass Chuck, ask Chuck. First question comes from Peter and he writes this, I listened to Jasmine Crockett interview where you discussed the Obama election. I was working in Texas one day. Many of my colleagues came back after lunch, all very joyful and happy, and one colleague told me that they had registered as Democrats to vote for Obama. Reason being Russia. Limbaugh told people to do that as no way USA would vote for a black man, and they could somehow get Hillary to the Democratic to be the Democratic choice, which in turn would mess up the Democrats. I wasn't a US citizen, so I didn't know what the effect of this Limba idea was. So my question was there a study made on the Limbaugh effect? Best regards Peter, I remember this. It was an Operation Chaos. I think Limbaugh called that he was trying to encourage Republicans or independents not necessarily read, but where they could vote in a Democratic primary to vote for Hillary to extend his theory was the longer the primary process, the mess here, it was the better to keep the Democrats all tied up the Republicans McCain was largely locked up the nomination a bit earlier than Obama did. I believe there was an academic study or too, and it didn't. Really. There isn't many places where that seemed to have an impact. And I think whenever you get people trying to do that kind of voting, trying to organize sort of you know, you know, vote in the other primary for somebody to mess things up, you know, I think the informed voter might do it. You know. My old man was a registered Democrat in the state of Florida at a time where if you wanted to participate in most elections, the only primaries that were competitive or Democratic primaries. But he was a Republican voter, but he was a registered Democrat. A lot of southern Southern Democrats were in this vote where they were registered as Democrats but almost exclusively voted for Republican in general elections. So I remember in eighty four distinctly, and not only that, in the Democratic primary in Florida back then in the eighties, you voted, you could there was a beauty contest quote unquote where you picked the candidate that you wanted in the primary, but then you had to actually pick the specific delegates for said candidate to represent at the national convention. So my father was one of those. He was petrified in eighty four. I'll never forget this. He was petrified that Gary Hart would be the nominee because he thought Gary Hart actually could beat Ronald Reagan in eighty four. He didn't think Mondale could, and he didn't think Jackson could, so he believed he was trying to support Jackson. So he ends up voting Jackson in the primary and the delegates, it was less about voting for Jesse Jackson and more about trying to deny, you know, trying to improve Jackson's chances to weaken heart sore. And there certainly is plenty of evidence that the long primary campaign hurt while her Mondale in eighty four. But I think in hindsight, the long primary campaigns for Obama and eight and for Trump and sixteen didn't weaken the eventual nominees. They actually strengthened them. And I think one of the things that hurt Joe Biden in twenty twenty was was cutting off the campaign so quickly. I wonder if the Democratic Party would have been better off as far as field. But I'll give you a perfect example in OBAMAA Obama had that thing wrapped up. I would argue, we knew after Super Tuesday he was directionally going to be the nominee. He had to collapse. And then, of course, after he did his Philadelphia speech race speech, he put it away because there was just never going to be enough delegates the delegate path, the way the Democrats distributed delegates. But Hillary kept marching on just in case, right, just in case there was some revelation that would come out and destroy his candidacy, and she'd be there to pick up the pieces. So deep into May, right, they went all the way to June, deep into May. We had a big primary night Indiana, North Carolina. This was the night that Tim Russell famously said, we now know who the Democratic nomin and he's going to be. It's Barack Obama. And he declared the race closest to anybody came on TV to declaring the race. Although we had kind of been hinting at this, it was always funny to me that him saying it became became such a gut punch to the Clinton campaign. They got really angry about this, believing this was now. But the fact is North Carolina and Indiana. Why am I singling those two states out? Well? Those were the two surprise states that Barack Obama ended up carrying in two thousand and eight. Does he carry those states in a general election without actually having to run a competent primary campaign in Indiana and North Carolina in May of that election year. So my point is is that by having to organize in more states for longer during that process. Inaight, what if rush Limbaugh thought he was helping the Republican Party, extending the primary only made Barack Obama's organization better and strong in more states. So I actually believe the more contested a campaign is towards the end, arguably it has in the twenty first century, it has actually helped that party in the general election. All right, Next question comes from Steve and Vernon Hills, Illinois. He writes, you're double the size of the House idea may have merit, but where would one physically put them all? How would it work? The seating in the House chamber would look like economy seats on airplanes. And wouldn't that be great?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Shouldn't they all have to be stuffed next to each other? It's the people's house, right, Look, this is always I don't want office space to be the reason why this goes. This idea doesn't happen, but I do think that there is. Look, we're due for a new house office building. I think that the first woman Speaker of the House probably ought to have a building named for her. We have one for Joe Cannon. There probably ought to be one for Nancy Pelosi. And I'm not sure you strip off a name and put on a name. So I think we're due for one office space right now. Some argue is tight, but I actually would double the size of the house, but not double the size of the staff, right so that you would have so I'd have, you know, one more office building, but essentially you you would you would you would narrow it down. I'd like to see members of the House have their bigger offices in their district, and that's where a large majority of their staff ought to reside more. The staff ought to be in the district than in Washington. That you really, your Washington staff ought to be literally the chief of staff, the legislative director, your communications director, and and and some and and maybe maybe a few other helpers. And that's it. That the large chunk of your work, if it's constituent services, should actually be taking place in the district. So that's to me, I would sort of we reimagine what office space is like, and it really should be about office space in the district, not necessarily office space in Washington. And as for where do you see them in the large Chamber book, you know it's it was, you know, they they've added seats to that chamber before since we've been We expanded the house for one hundred and twenty years. So there's no reason why you can't come up with different ways to continue to expand the house seating chart and things like that. You know, I think you could do it without making us feel like we're all sitting in Southwest seats. But I certainly, I certainly think the bigger question is where do they have their offices? And this is where I would flip the script here, districts should be where a lion's share of the staff and offices are, and literally you should it almost should feel like a cubicle when you're coming to Washington. That's to me what a citizen legislature for a representative democracy ought to behave. All right, last question for the for this episode, dom from Easton PA. I believe that's the home of one Larry Holmes, the most underappreciated all time heavyweight champion of the world. Let me go. I've been thinking a lot about the issues facing American democracy. Wouldn't it be smart for a group or party like Andrew Yang's Forward Party to become dedicated to this one cause. Similar to how the Forward Party endorses candidates that are registered Republicans or Democrats, this new American Forward Party can support candidates and officials on both sides and independents who decide to support legislation that would end jerrymandering, overturn Citizens United, or vote to expand the US House. Is there an appetite for this? Well, you just described the much of the agenda the Forward Party, and it's funny you bring up the Forward Party. I'm actually going to have the chair of the Forward Party on this podcast pretty soon, hopefully before the end of this month of May, and we will ask her about that. I've been doing some deeper dives on what they're up to. You know, in theory, No Labels was trying to get to this place that you're describing, where they could create sort of a caucus or a coalition of the willing, if you will, have left and right on different issues. I think I've always thought if No Labels made a mistake, it was assuming there was an actual centrist ideology. And I think that what what there really is is a pragmatic ideology, meaning people that are willing to compromise to make incremental progress versus people that want the issue and it's their way or the highway right. And that's to me, is the difference between a partisan legislator and a and a politician.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: A politician figures out how to do the best they can with what with what is offered, and so but I look, it's been the theme of this podcast at the top. I think there's a vacuum out there for a whole bunch of Americans who feel like they're not represented very well by the Democrats or the Republicans, and there are pieces of ideas that they like in both parties. So it's you know, the idea that you can have one third party do anything is I think is I get why that? That seems like you know, there's no there's no perfect compromise there. But I do think there's something there is. I think there is a vacuum out there and there's going to be an appetite for this. And again, look, some of it is going to be by necessity. Do we have a John Corny and decide he has to run as an independent? That's an opportunity for the Forward Party, right, Ditto with Tillis or ditto with this Jason Pizzoo in Florida. So some of it will have to do with what kind of well we see ah a better quality of candidate running as an independent in some of these spots or running as a non traditional member of what either party an. I think that's you know, some of it is you know, you have you have an idealistic you have an ideal in your head of what that candidate would look like. Is there anybody that will actually resemble that ideal? And we'll see. I think it's a little early but I know, I'm hopeful that there's some attempts to shake up the system because it's clear the two party duopoly is not good for the democracy.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: With that, I ought to lament the lottery. I know. I closed the last podcast with a with begging you guys for good vibe. So thanks for nothing. I have tease. By the way, as somebody paid attention to what's going to happen to the three teams in the state of Texas, Dallas, Houston, San Antonio. Those three NBA teams, they're all on the rise, They're all in a position of strength all of a sudden, and it's a state that prefers football and baseball over basketball. It's you know, we'll see if it's a if this sort of changes, but this is a state that loves its football and loves its baseball, and basketball has always been fine. And there's certainly you know, been your Baylors had a good program. Tex UT's had a good program, don't get me wrong. But in Houston obviously has been one of the powers in college basketball off and on for years. But as you know, it is never it has never been that the core and yet the NBA three the three franchises, there have never all three been on this strong of footing at the same time. Anyway, that's going to be fascinating to watch build on that front. As for my poor Wizards, I mean, it was such a wizard's ending. Not only did they not get it, they didn't even get a top four pick, didn't even get a top two pick, end up in the sixth spot. You know, who knows. You never know who you draft in six You know, Jokic was drafted in the second round. Yannis was down in the deepen the lottery, and you know, grew three inches after he was drafted, So you know, you can always hope. But boy, go look at the NBA draft history and see how many players in the top three become All Stars versus how many players in the rest of the first round become All Stars. So it's a bummer not to get one of those first three picks. All right, that's enough with my sports update again, Like and subscribe everywhere we are, YouTube, Apple, Spotify, you name it. And oh, by the way, we now have a weekly substat that you can subscribe to as well, so go check it out there and with that until we upload again,