Speaker 1: Native Lampid is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome home to the Native landing on the podcast face that's a for greatness sixteen minutes.
Speaker 3: If so, hit not too.
Speaker 2: Long for the great ship, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it, then digest it. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it.
Speaker 3: So get invested. Across the t's and.
Speaker 2: Doctor ods kill them back to get them staying on business with ride. You could have been anywhere, but you chose us Native Laying Podcast, the brand that you can trust us.
Speaker 1: Welcome home, y'all and shout out to Daniel Lauren for a new theme song. This is episode sixteen of Native Lampire, where we give you our breakdown of all things politics and culture. We are your hosts, Tiffany Cross, Andrew Gillum and I'm Angela Rye.
Speaker 4: What's good, y'all?
Speaker 5: Welcome home like that?
Speaker 3: I love it?
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yes the tea, don't cross the tea.
Speaker 4: Across the tea, but don't cross the wad.
Speaker 5: Don't cross the tea the tea, but you want to.
Speaker 1: I'm a strong five feet we stand on business.
Speaker 4: I listen here well.
Speaker 1: You know, as always, we want to thank all of our loyal audience, and we thank y'all for every review, for rating the podcast, for subscribing, for downloading, for following, for doing all the things, for fighting us on social media as you all like to do. We appreciate all of that. And you know, we got some places to go. I want to start someplace a little solemn today on the other side of losing Donald Payne Junior, who's an elected member of Congress, who I love, one of my forever CBC bosses.
Speaker 4: You left us too soon, and your legacy will be a remember forever.
Speaker 1: So everybody on today's episode, Louisiana is out here. Louisiana. The State House just repealed a law that required child workers to get d DA DA lunch breaks. Louisiana state representative and owner of Smoothie King franchises says he proposed the bill because children want to work without having to take lunch breaks. Oh okay, So the President signed a ninety five billion dollar for an aid package for Ukraine, Israel, and Taiwan into law. It also included that major nationwide TikTok band that they snuck into that package. And TikTok has nine months, not nine minutes, has nine months to respond and divest from its China based parent company. But they said, hoh my beer. They want to sue first. I guess all branches of government are busy this week with tiff level say it with me, Tiff nonsense, nonsense, because the Supreme Court hurt a case that could mean major consequences for the unhoused on a national level. The case comes out of Grant's Past, Oregon, where it's illegal to sleep in public spaces. A Ninth Circuit court struck down the law as unconstitutional, and now Scotus must decide whether they can make it illegal to sleep outside if they have a choice to be somewhere else.
Speaker 4: And today the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: We'll hear arguments on presidential community criminal presidential immunity. While the Court has already decided on civil immunity with Richard Nixon. Donald Trump's legal argument would be to extend civil immunity to criminal And of course there's no president for this, because we only have had one thuggish, ruggish bone unprecedented president. And yes, Trump has said unprecedented y'all we don't trust the system, right right, Okay, Tiff is on the fences.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, well I didn't know. I didn't get no, amen, it's I.
Speaker 6: Didn't want to.
Speaker 5: I was waiting to see what the second part of it was.
Speaker 1: But for the record, she was worried about she should be.
Speaker 4: Okay, And then y'all think it's been hard on us? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yes, now, I said us.
Speaker 1: So I just want to know when in the entire hell us started including Donald Trump, because I'm pretty sure he is them. But we're going to ask the blacks, and guess what, that's us. We're the blacks. We are that focus group. So y'all stay tuned for that very partial, yet persuasive focus group. We'll also brag on some Trump trial updates and what do Google more House, NYU, Columbia, and Yale have in common? They rich, they tug, and we have a very very important Justice for Marilyn Moseby update. And you know it's not home if we don't hear from the NLP fan so count on it.
Speaker 4: Let's go, Okay, Tiff and Andrews.
Speaker 1: So this week, I know it's TIFF's favorite subject, but we gotta go here.
Speaker 4: We you're talking Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: We are talking what has been named the hush money trial, but is actually the falsifying business records in the first degree trial.
Speaker 4: There have been some updates.
Speaker 1: From gag orders to David Pecker's testimony, and I think that what's really important here is we've got a perspective that you can't always.
Speaker 4: Hear everywhere else.
Speaker 1: So I love for us to talk about briefly our perspectives on this particular case and what's at stake.
Speaker 4: I'll say a little more.
Speaker 3: I'll say a little more.
Speaker 4: I mean, y'all were to sound. We all had no sound from this trout. I ain't no sound from this trout.
Speaker 5: And I'll let you there was some sound. But I don't think we need to plan on this show. But I do like what Mitt Romney said when he came out and spoke to cameras and said, I think we've all gotten to see a testament of Donald Trump's character. And you don't pay somebody one hundred thirty thousand dollars to not have sex with you, to pay it here, But I think that sums it up well.
Speaker 3: It's surprising that he paid the man. I mean that's the one. This is the piece of Donald Trump's reputation. Of course that Hillary Clinton pointed out several times. She even went to New Jersey at one of his clothesed casinos, because the man doesn't pay his bills. But in this instance, first of all, last week we talked on the show where he basically came out to cameras and said, Hey, I had a lawyer, look at it. I paid a lawyer. They told me to write it down as a campaign, you know, and so that's what that's what I did. So he said, admitted to having done it. What I found stunning was the admission by the National Inquirer, yes, of how they just wholesale went out and made up stories about Trump's opponents to elevate Donald Trump, diminish his opponents, and then stories where they have legit red meat dirt on Donald Trump. They go out by the story kill the story, a story that if put on the front page of the National Inquirer, supported by an actual bonafide witness, could actually sell more papers. So, when they were asked by the prosecutors, was it in your interest, your paper's interest to kill the Trump story? The founder rightly said mister Pecker, No, it was not in our interests. Which is what goes to the heart of this case, which is why we are seeing him in court in the first place, is that he used resources, could have bought it himself, but he didn't. It would have been legal for him to do himself, but he went through his lawyer. They tried to off escape, they tried subterfuge, they tried secrecy, they tried it all and now the man's been called to the carpet and we'll just see if he's held accountable.
Speaker 5: Well, I think a phrase that you hear a lot in this trial is catch and kill, and so just people understand what that is. That is when an entity, an outlet, catches a story, assumingly buys a story, which you know is an ethical in journalism. That's why people right, and it's important to draw that distinction, right, because they will buy a story which when you pay somebody for something, it automatically puts it to question in terms of credibility, and then kill the story. And that's what happened here. I think it's also important to note who reads the National Inquirer. These were people who were more likely to vote for Donald Trump. These are people who forgive the elitist nature of this comment, but these were people who I dare say were not the most intellectually curious if you're going to the National Inquirer for your news. And this is how we hear from our latest star. Last week we talked a bit about Stormy Daniels. This week we're hearing another old name uh makes all these charges and scandals, and that's Karen McDougal, the former Playboy model who says she had an afear with Trump in two thousand and six, and this was her whole case. She sued the American Media Inc. Which you know, David Pecker's company, which owns National Inquirer, because they caught her story. They bought her story, paid her I think one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, and they were going to just do away with it. She agreed to this because they agreed to then write, let her write columns, and let her be a model, but of course they never published anything for her. I think it's also interesting that she was talking about while she was a side chick, she met Malania Trump, met Donald Trump's kids, walked past Baron's bedroom and the weird stuff that she said. He said to her. He talked about how much he loves Ivanka and how beautiful she is, and he would tell her that she's beautiful like his dog. This weird, crazy, creepy stuff, and so to me, regardless of the outcome of this case, it really does put before the American people. This is the kind of person that seventy five million, mostly white people are voting for because he allows them the freedom to say the quiet part out loud. He allows them to freedom to hold mostly white power and white control. As the demographics of this country change, they would rather see it burned to ashes before they saw power equally distributed among the American body politic, which is a patchwork of all types of people, from all types of socio economic backgrounds, all types of hues. And it's sad to see. Really, I know, Angela, I'll go ahead, No, go ahead, Andrew.
Speaker 3: So Tiff. At least, at least none of us are confused about why it is they keep showing up for this man. This is yes, changing demographics, This is about power, and I just think none of us should ever forget what's at game here, even the ability for a man to be able to talk to a owner of a paper, get a story.
Speaker 4: Keelled, how about that?
Speaker 3: Get other stories that are not fact based whatsoever? Put in the cycle. And the one thing about you know, tabloids or tabloids, but some tabloids end up entering into mainstream media. They may be the first one to go that way, but they're the ones that make it a public conversation that then others can then riff from. And that's the power that this man had, and and Trump zeroed in on it and took it for a ride.
Speaker 5: Inside Edition said we were the outlet that everybody made fun of, and then the cable news outlets became.
Speaker 4: Lord, how about that? So here's the thing.
Speaker 1: So David Pecker, as Tiff described, talked about this twenty fifteen arrangement he had with Donald Trump. But more over, which you just said, Tiff, which I think is really important to our listening audience, is Donald Trump has had the ability to say the quiet part out loud. However, in this instance, in this trial, he has been reprimanded for ten instances of violating the order. Turns out the gag is up and he might not be able to keep talking as he has been talking.
Speaker 4: But on this since he's walked around immune.
Speaker 1: We know that at the center of this trial really is the intersection of white privilege and wealth privilege. And Donald Trump has escaped liability, escaped culpability because he's been able to pay his way out of everything. And so now whether or not he'll be able to continue the end that privilege is before the Supreme Court of the United States as they hear oral arguments in the presidential immunity case.
Speaker 4: Why is this different?
Speaker 1: His defense team is referencing Richard Nixon versus Fitzgerald, where the Supreme Court ruled that a president is entitled to civil immunity from litigation.
Speaker 4: What they've never.
Speaker 1: Had to decide upon, as I said in our rundown, is whether or not presidents are immune from criminal liability.
Speaker 4: And that is what is at play here.
Speaker 1: Donald Trump is saying that that immunity should apply to his criminal conduct. How do y'all think the Supreme Court is going to rule on this? They're just hearing oral arguments.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 1: We know we won't hear this until likely around June or July, But how do y'all think that they're gonna be SciTE on this?
Speaker 5: I have a question when you the law says that a president is immune from civil immunity, what does that mean exactly? That means that somebody cannot privately sue the president while he's in office. That's right, Sonny, acts done while he was in office, got it? So any suits that existed before they took office would persist, and any suits that happen after it just can't be okay. So then, or I was gonna say, because Donald Trump was doing all kinds of things while he was in office, I was going to say, in the private sector, his children the first year they were in office at Vanka and Jared, I think made over eighty million dollars. I think that first year.
Speaker 3: So I wonder I think part of the distinction Tiff and Angela, correct me if I'm wrong. I think part of the distinction is is while you may be immune from civil lawsuit while you serve as president for actions that you take in the interests of the presidency thereby the American people.
Speaker 1: So acts that you.
Speaker 3: Take that are individual. And this is the line this man is trying to draw, right, Well, he's not trying to draw the line at all. He's saying, basically, as I am president, I'm a king. I'm immune regardless of what I've done, whether it is in the interest or in pursuit of my job as president, or whether it's in my individual Donald Trump croning, crooning, whatever capacity is the what is that stake right now with the court, And I think it's It would even be a question if this were civil. Matter has got to be whether or not a president can be held responsible for acts that are not consistent with his duties as a president while he is serving as president.
Speaker 1: And official of official action.
Speaker 3: In this, man is basically saying, if I'm president is official by right of title, anything I do is all right. And the court, if the court goes that way we said this before. If he goes out and he kills his political enemy and then says I'm president and therefore it must be legal this they have to take this to the logical extreme possibilities, and nowhere on planet Earth could it be true except in Russia with Putin? Can you kill your political enemy and never face a consequence for it because you happen to be the president?
Speaker 5: Him saying like, because I'm president, whatever I do is legal. This is definitely very reminiscent of Nixon, and it reminds me of that infamous interview with Nixon and David Frost where he's like, look, I'm the president, so whatever I did, I think the scary thing that we collectively, no matter what side of the divide you fall on here, this is such a dangerous case, you know, because if the Supreme Court of Scotus rules, if they affirm Trump's claims, they will literally upset the separation of powers and usher in this regime of lawlessness. Right, this is an existential threat to America. And if that happens, this is not what the framers intended. So for all the patriots out there who love to draw up the founding fathers that they think were these magical people, there is no case that supports Trump's arguments that he's just immused. It's just unreal. So you are unraveling uh centuries of American democracy, which I think would cast a really dark shadow over the rest of the globe. The symbolism of America is important for world order. If that falls, I shudder to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Tip to your point, You're like, there there is no case. There really is no case, like the idea, there's nothing for them to harken back to, because there was a point in time in this country, not long ago, where even a tan suit was criminal in the in the old way, you know what I mean. But there is there is this this double, this triple, this quadruple standard where you can escape just because you're highly popular. You can escape because of your celebrity. You can escape because of the number of people who live in their fear, who aspire to be like you. And this is the indeed the problem. I am terrified about whether or not this Supreme Court, the makeup of this Supreme Court, can remember that their obligation is to interpret the Constitution and its intent for this country, not to protect this flamethrower. You know, like your your obligation is not to protect this reckless human being who will single handedly. And I should stop saying that because I know better. I believe what Harry Reid said when he said this was the Republican Party's freak, itsign, not single handedly, but as a result, it is building destroyed democracy.
Speaker 4: And hard.
Speaker 1: It's so hard every time I talk about the destruction of democracy, because I know that this very broken system hasn't served us, but it is the one we have. It is the one that we have the ability to repair unless we listen to Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: Look, why do you have to lose? You're living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs.
Speaker 7: Fifty eight percent of your youth is unemployed.
Speaker 3: What the hell do you have to lose?
Speaker 7: The black people are so much on my side now because they see what's happening to me happens to them. The mugshot. We've all seen the mugshot. And you know who embraced it more than anybody.
Speaker 3: Else, the black population.
Speaker 7: It's incredible. You see black people walking around with my mouth shut. I'm being indicted for you, the black population.
Speaker 4: Chow wow.
Speaker 8: You know what?
Speaker 3: I remember when he said the first part. I'll get to secondbout it in a minute, but the first part where he's going down this list of what he considers to be the eels that the black community in this country were facing. This is back in twenty sixteen, these campaign against Hillary. I don't remember the judgment Animus venom that was in his voice when he was giving that This wasn't a person listing issues and solidarity with a plight. This was a man from a Pejorada's standpoint, calling out all the things that they say in their quiet places about black folk. He's at a rally saying, y'all stink. You sit on the corner and you wait for the bus, you go to the groceryes. So what a plastic people had wrap on your head?
Speaker 8: You do?
Speaker 9: You know?
Speaker 3: He's going down all of the judgments that are made by his folks and basically saying, you live in shit and squalor what the hell else do you have to lose by electing me? This was when usually people go down a laundry list. It is in solidarity with no one should have to face this. That ain't what he did there. And I just picked it up listening at that clip. I knew it was wrong from the moment I heard it. But yeah, but the animus and the venomous didn't come through quite the way that it did just there. And then just one last point and I'll give it up, which is to say, for those who may think, why would you hold a president immune in any at any point because they were president, let's just understand that the law is based in something the president is based in something real, which is you wouldn't want a President Obama being sued by a bunch of different states or senators or Donald Trump's or whomever because he decided to pull troops out of Iraq. That is an official act of the presidency. He is the commander in chief. He executed that, but by doing so, maybe there were some other consequences that fell from it. You don't want a president being wrapped up and having a second thought, second think every judgment decision they make as the executive of the President of the United States, acting in fear or trepidation because he may be sued while he's still president. Those are called official acts, right. What he's trying to do is extend this definition of official acts to say anything that I do, any conduct that I have while I'm President of the United States, I'm immune from it. That ain't never been the law. And that is the question that is before the Supreme Court.
Speaker 1: That is the question that is before the Supreme Court. But the question is before us. The Blacks have convened their focus group is whether this is relatable to us, not just what in the hell do we have to lose. We know how much is on the line, we know we're threatened, but with it every time we walk out the door. But then he says that, like we're walking around with his mugshot on. And then there are black folks who have used their platforms they shall not be named on this here podcast, but have used their platforms at talking amongst families, saying that this is in fact relatable, that we do know what it's like to be testing and tried by the system, that it is reminiscent of the government going after folks like they did doctor King and Malcolm X. I am looking around, like where sway and how sway? Because what I know is that this same trial that we were just talking about, Like, what happens if we violate a gago to y'all, we get held in criminal contempt of court? What happens if we pay off someone to do if we even have the resources to pay off someone to not run a story about us, What happens we already talked about tansuit, happens if we wear a tan suit? Or what happens if we get mad and say, for the first time in my adult life, I'm proud of my country Michelle in two thousand and eight, Right, like, let's be very clear about the fact that there are not a whole lot of parallels here. The fact that you can speak to our plight, as Andrew said, with disdain, does not make you one of us. It does not make you us. The system is not trying you. You're actually abusing the system. Who among us could stand ten toes down with eighty eight indictments and get three.
Speaker 3: Discways for president and nominee again of one of two major parties.
Speaker 4: Tiff is swermy wormy, So I want to hear what's on her.
Speaker 5: I'll be brief because I want us to get off Trump, as you know, But I would just say Donald Trump says Asen nine things all the time, and it's I often said trying to cover him when he was in office was like trying to catch confetti, because there was some new stupid thing that he would put in the atmosphere every day, be it tweet or you know, some press conference he would hold. The disappointing part of this is I think the lowest common denominator among us echoing this message. And Angelae you said family talk, but the thing is this was not family talk. This was somebody going outside of family carrying the water for this half witted politically inept president and carrying this message to people. And I don't believe the people who say this would ever say that to family. I think you say something like that to get the adoration of white people, to get the Ada boy from white people, and it just I think makes people who are out there saying these ignorant things. It makes you look like the small person that you are. And I don't even mean in height or stature, I mean in intellect and intelligence. And I expect ignorance from some people. I'm not remotely interested in somebody's political opinions on a large platform. You're tax paying citizen, You have a right to vote, and you have a right to your opinion. I just don't really care about it. The disappointment I feel is when members of the media elevate certain voices who really have no business weighing in on such things. And I think that only happens within our community. I can't remember somebody asking a white sports commentator to weigh in on foreign policy or domestic policy, and it just drives me a little nuts. So I would just challenge the media, maybe do a little background and consider who you're putting out there, and if you're finding somebody that makes white people comfortable, then you're probably you have the wrong voice.
Speaker 3: If I take slight departure and I hear where you're coming from, just on this piece around the resonance of a mugshot and his tangling with the criminal justice system, of the justice system so publicly in the way that he has of late, and what residents that may have with some black folk. Some of the names that we're not going to check. Some of the black folks Angela you're alluding to who have given audience to this, who've echoed this belief that he know us a little better because he's gone through what we've gone through, are legit folks. And I don't think they're just making it up. I think they think that man, seeing this guy go through this kind of lets them see out loud that white people go through it too.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: Let's be clear, first of all, white folks have always been entangled in the criminal justice system. They pre existed us. We were property they you know, So that part is not new. What is new here is obviously the way he's trying to play us. I get that it would be nice and relatable to have a president who has some shared experiences, but let's not get it twisted. Trump does not share our experience in any way, shape or form as it relates to how black people encounter the criminal justice system and how powerful white men I e. Donald Trump, encounter this system. And I feel this personally because I've been there when I was accused and guided and I had to surrender myself to the government a day I will never forget, one that will live in infamy for me. I showed up, and first things first is I had to take a mug shot. When Donald Trump showed up in New York for Alvin Bragg. There was a fingerprint he was handed his indictment, but there was never a mug shot. The next thing that I had to do was I got handcuffed not only by my wrists, but then by a chain running down to my waist, and then a chain around my waist, and from my waist a chain going down to both my left and my right foot with two more handcuffs, and I had to walk at the distance of a baby's legs with because that's how constrained I was. Right, So Donald Trump didn't have a handcuff on him. Let's get that correct, and hadn't had one in any of the surrendering that he's had to do around any of these cases. When I was accused, I lost a bank, I lost American Express and four credit cards associated with him with a near eight hundred credit score. While Donald Trump, who isn't just a que but was found responsible liable five hundred plus million dollars, he got to pay and he didn't lose nothing. He went and got two hundred almost two hundred million dollars secured to back him up. So while he goes through appeal, right, that didn't happen for us, didn't happen for me. I lost it, Yet this man so so for money he legitimately owes. I was just accused. Right, we beat their asses, and in his case, I think he's going down. My only point here is, do not get it twisted just because the man is purping like he has a relationship and understands our plight. One, you misunderstand us. One because all of us don't have that lived experience. Number Two, you misunderstand us, and actually you're not trying to understand us, because this is never about a system. It's always about Donald Trump. This is not about how people are treated in the criminal justice system. This is about how Donald Trump is being treated in the criminal justice system. His level of privilege, no matter how why he is, is not privileged that I would believe is extended to all white folks. It is extended to him at his level of power and influence. And his grievance is only with the way he's being treated. He is not dismantling a system for the corruption of a system. He wants to dismantle a system, but because of the way in which he has been treated in that system, not because how you and I fare in that system. He can't even dream of how to relate to a criminal justice system that treats him the way it treats us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, it's a word.
Speaker 1: It is such a word. And Andrew, I thank you for your vulnerability and sharing it. I think that it has been a point of privilege for us to have you free.
Speaker 5: Some started. He's getting some started.
Speaker 4: But like it didn't have it didn't have to be that way.
Speaker 1: Like the thing that is so alarming and unnerving about what he's saying is it literally is a slap in the face for everyone who is fighting with everything they have, with every dime they have with every ounce of energy they have as they contemplate whether they should be here or not. That is a completely different battle that he has never faced, that he has no idea about. So any moment, in any moment where we are, you know, kind of confused, Like something that he's saying sounds right, the unjust system sounds right.
Speaker 4: It rings true to me. I want you to take.
Speaker 1: A moment to tap in with someone who has experienced the other side of the criminal justice system and ask them what their journey was like, because it didn't look like his.
Speaker 4: That is the part for me.
Speaker 1: And as much as like I'm tired of talking about him too, Tim, I think that we have an.
Speaker 4: Obligation to our people to just take a beat.
Speaker 1: Sometimes and remind us all why what he says is so triggering, why it is both infuriating because we know what he means and what our experience is and how he's using it to juxtapose it against and lean up against our actual struggle fake in the face of a fake foe struggle, Like how dare you use what our people have been through, how they've sacrificed their lives for righteousness, for justice and throw that in our faces as you are like able to just escape scott free all the time, you know, like that.
Speaker 4: Is the part for me.
Speaker 1: And so I just want to tap in with my brother for a minute to say I am so glad that you leaned on faith and you leaned into courage and you were able to take this on and you were successful. That is not always our testimony, you know, it is one in a million, Andrew like, normally the FEDS prosecute, the FEDS win, They bank on that and even when it is false, when it is wrongful, and Donald Trump is not, you don't get eighty eight indictments wrong at every level of government.
Speaker 4: That just don't happen.
Speaker 5: Well, can I just tap in on something because I hear you Angela about talking about Trump. I just think you know what we get to do here is have a different lens that you don't hear on cable news. But we are also overlooking news. You know, there was a piece in the New York Times this morning right on target what we're talking about about the disproportionate number of botched executions that impact black men directly. This man is not worried. Donald Trump is not worried about that is not his life. That's not his testimony. Andrew, your testimony is harrowing, for sure. There's also testimony of people who had swat crashed through their house, break open their windows, harm their children from their mothers, their daughter, the you know, red dog police teams in Atlanta, and with what they did, and then the name of justice of targeting parents who lost children. That is what our criminal justice system looks like. So I just challenged the media at large to not turn this into a reality show with wall to wall coverage while overlooking things that can still speak to these issues, but don't give him the attention that he soul craves and desires.
Speaker 3: And the media ain't interested in that larger narrative that we're talking about, right they.
Speaker 5: That's why Native landa.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump ain't here for it either. And that's why we have to as as as gut wrenching and mind numbing it is to have to talk about this guy. It's important because the story, if we allowed his story and his his his his embrace of us to go unchallenged just because it has a resemblance a very a very shadowy resemblance. Because you threw criminal justice out there in a mugshot that somehow you understand this thing, and your point is well taken to the story. The harrowing experiences of people go so deep, so many places within our community with regards to our confrontation with law and justice and our mistrust of it. That this like again, just just know this man ain't he ain't even not on the page. He ain't in the book. He's not in the book we're reading.
Speaker 4: Well now, we just spend so much time on him.
Speaker 1: To take a break, you know, y'all we got bills to pay because, unlike Donald Trump, we can't escape this. All right, Well, after much debate, we've decided that you're also going to ban TikTok from our episode today. We don't have enough time. Well, we're gonna talk about it, and said, is HB to use? They don't always get enough coverage?
Speaker 4: And you are right, brother, I'm good.
Speaker 3: You know you always always have children.
Speaker 1: I love my niece and nephews, but Jesus always keeping.
Speaker 4: My brother sick.
Speaker 1: Joe Biden was invited to deliver the commencement speech at Morehouse College and it is being met with mixed reviews.
Speaker 6: The timing is bad, I mean it would almost be like inviting Linda Johnson to come and speak at Morehouse at the height of the Vietnam War.
Speaker 10: Mitchell is a civil rights attorney with the Council on American Islamic Relations and is himself Muslim. He graduated from Morehouse in two thousand and nine. Until speaking out against justice is woven into the fabric of the Storage.
Speaker 6: School, I do expect that there will be a vocal outcry about this, But I do think in the spirit of more House in the history moreuse, it will be respectful, It'll be intelligent, it will be affected.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't expect anything less. But y'all, this is it is interesting timing. And the most students, folks on the faculty and alums have something to say about Joe Biden delivering the commencement speech in the middle of what's happening in Gaza.
Speaker 5: Well, I think this is clearly a campaign ploy. I think they are paying attention to. I believe the false media narrative that Joe Biden is losing support among black men. And I wonder if more House invited the President or if the President offered Hiden.
Speaker 4: In September, but he just he just said yes.
Speaker 5: Which is but we don't think anybody from the well, I don't know, I don't know. I don't eve want to speculate.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I got an experience of what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: I hear you right right, I mean I think you know it benefits him, just for our listeners who may not be as familiar with Morehouse. I mean, this is very much is like the Ivy League of HBCU's previous speakers. Wes Moore was a commencement speaker for black Governor of Maryland. Raphael Warnock is a previous commencement speaker. We all remember when billionaire Robert Smith was the commencement speaker and paid off everybody loans. Yes, yes, President Obama spoke there in twenty thirteen. So the young men who attend Morehouse College are some of the best and the brightest. And that some names you would know, Bacari Sellers, Mark Lamont Hill, our friend Albert Sanders, he hates when I talk about him, but I'll just say he went to Morehouse and Sirmichael Singleton, Republican. You see him there. So they have a very Distinguishedst. Martin Luther King of course went to Morehouse so I'll be interested in hearing how President Biden connects with the students. I think he has to be aware that it will not be a completely warm reception. I think we can expect anticipat seeing protests, and I wonder how those protests will show up during his remarks. But this is something that I have to say. We try to tell you you cannot convince an oppressed people that other people are not being oppressed. We are the best at recognizing it, and so I I just I wonder what their plan is, because this bridge is their domestic policy and foreign policy that very few people support. I don't know. Angela is so disgusted by it that she is slapping herself with a face. She can't take it.
Speaker 4: You emagine on my lip you didn't see that. It was like a little fruit flap, like what the hell? And it's like sticky.
Speaker 5: I know that feel. I had that feeling when you wearing them juicy tubes and you're like, what is laying on my lip? I don't like is that that pete sparkles.
Speaker 3: It's just best to ignore it when it happens. Just literally not talking about that. I'm talking about when when does what it does just be like, no, that didn't go in.
Speaker 5: There Ala this guy. So she was like this looks up. She was beating herself in the base like Angela is passionate. Please Angela, you say your remarks on this moral thing.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, I think I agree. He's lucky that this is morehouse in this since I think I think this will be a very organized If there's a protest, it will be it will be incredibly respectful. And I'll just say I I think it will be a one reception overall for him here because I think, yeah, because largely they're going to talk about issues that confront black folks written large and I think the White House probably didn't deeply contemplate how international affairs might intersect with this visit. But but but we know that it will. Speaking of people who invited themselves, when I was stud by President fam you Jeff Bush invited himself. Isn't known it is it was said he was invited to be Famuse commencement speaker, and no, the real story was he invited himself. Had the president it would have been my graduation and of course hail No, it wasn't innounced that student body president that if Jeb Bush accepted the invitation to be Famus commencement speaker, that the students of FAM you and the grad led by the graduates would stand up, turn our backs and walk out on him. It would have been hell.
Speaker 4: Is he didn't he.
Speaker 5: Just drop off the face of the earth.
Speaker 3: I mean, as far as I can, he could fall all the way off the earth. In that case, all I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: Is he means figuratively. For those of you that might think that that's yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he just you know, it all works. But but I think they they have not really, in my opinion, fully appreciated how deep this this this divide is in America generationally, particularly as a relation to the the Israeli UH and Palestinian conflict. The folks here, young, Jewish, non Jewish, black, white, everything in between. They they know right from wrong. And when they see children, women, family spokes who did not wage war, would not want for war. They just happen to live in a war zone and are and are living through that under the hostageship of Hamas every single day in and outside of conflict with with with with Israel for them to pay the price for the actions of terrorists to the tune of some thirty plus thousand. Now there's no humanity in that. That's right, and this and this generation of folks is that they're like democrat, I don't care who you are. Wrong's wrong, and we're not down for this. Something's got to happen, something's got to change.
Speaker 5: And it's I mean everywhere.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of respectful and peaceful protests, students are speaking of and they are loud, and they are clear. They are not just online, they are on campus, you know, speaking of respectful protests. What we know is the students have something to say, especially on what's happening in Gaza. There are it's not just more house. It's not just on TikTok there's about to be banned potentially. It's not just on social it's all over campuses throughout this country. What's really been in the media lately are Columbia, mostly Yale, NYU, MIT, University of Michigan, California State, Berkeley, and many others. And what I think is so important is that folks are kind of talking about this like student protests are.
Speaker 4: In a vacuum. They've been largely peaceful.
Speaker 1: Of course, There's been some conflicts, some folks on extreme sides of the issue, but this is not new. Students have been protesting on college campuses since the beginning of time. Andrew just referenced his time as Student Government Association president at FAMU. What he didn't say is he also was protesting in the governor's office while at fam You.
Speaker 3: Angeline, what's your best one? I ran for SJA president. My opponent said, this is college. If gillim WINZ all he gonna do is have us protesting. We're supposed to have fun here too. It turns out you lost, you lost.
Speaker 1: And on that they said, no, we're gonna use our voices in the Student Activity Activities Fee to get what we want. The Greensboro sit in in North Carolina A and T Alabama State University back in the day at Kent State students who protested the Vietnam War at FISK in nineteen twenty five, they were students were protesting and it ended in police entering their dorms and they were you know, it's there are also some violent ends.
Speaker 4: To this BLM.
Speaker 1: We've seen women's rights, we've seen gun rights, we've seen or gun.
Speaker 4: Control, climate change, anti apartheid.
Speaker 1: This has happened since the beginning of time, and testing was at one point our right, and now students are facing some very different kinds of threats, suspension, and a lot of other things.
Speaker 11: I empathize with individuals who feel uncomfortable with certain rhetoric, but.
Speaker 9: I remind you that we live in a country and we go to attending university that extremely values free speech, open dialogue and.
Speaker 4: Rhetoric, and I would encourage.
Speaker 1: Everyone to listen to a variety of perspectives and to analyze what it means to.
Speaker 11: Not like something or disagree with something, versus to actively be in a position of being unsafe.
Speaker 1: You know what I think is so important about this is what has often missed in narratives that I've read, is the fact that this is a protest and a moment and a movement really of solidarity between Jewish and Palestinian people. What you see in that clip and hearing that clip is a young woman, a young Jewish woman on campus who's saying, I understand the inflammatory rhetoric. What I'm talking about is our First Amendment right to peacefully assemble, and that can include protest for whatever reason. What is starting to happen now, and y'all have seen this is anarchy is being conflated with anti Semitism, is being conflated with protests, and I want to talk really about the dangers of those things and how they are all separate. If this young sister could stand here and say I'm standing in solidarity with this because not on my watch, why does her voice not matter? Is she herself an anti Semite for standing with folks who are saying I don't want to see innocent children and people killed because of what Hamas has done in Israel and Gayza.
Speaker 3: Right, and Hamas again a terrorist organization by the United States who has overthrown pretty much the power of the Palestinian authority, which is the actual governing body and leadership over the Palestinian territory. Hamas a terrorist group who obviously undertook those horrific murders and attack on Israel, which none of us, not even the protesters at least, none of the ones I've heard from and that I know, would condone this is Angela. I'm so glad you're My big frustration here is that it seems, if you are protesting in humanity or war, that somehow that makes you anti a group of people based off of their religion, the color of their skin, their nation of ancestral or heritage. It would be one thing if you were saying I hate Israel and I hate Jews. That is antisemitic, that is hateful, that is racis that is wrong. It is another thing to say that you hate war or you hate war and the consequences that are right now being had havocked over the people, the innocent lives and the Palestinian authority in Palestine. I don't mind referring to it is that, even though it is not yet recognized, it is fine in my opinion to be for in fact, every one of us should be abhorring that kind of loss of life, every single one of us. This is what Governor DeSantis and Florida had to say the inmates run the asylum, criticizing pro Palestinian protests happening on college campuses in the state of Florida. He goes further to say students should be expelled for protests and if you are at a university here in the United States on a visa, that visa should be canceled by the government. If you participate in protests. So just a quick note for the governor and those who think like him. First Amendment of the United States Congress shall make no laws respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. I know that was boring text, but that is the Constitution of the United States, the First Amendment. These people don't even believe in the First Amendment when it runs county, so when it runs counter to what it is that they believe. And for y'all who keep talking smack trash about protests interrupting your lives, if it ain't interrupting your lives, it is likely not protests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's important for us to understand. Beyond the college protests, there are also folks inside organizations, big organizations like Google that also have taken history issue with what's happening in Gaza. Some employees have protested an Israeli contract of Google, and Google responded by terminating those who protested. It's now more than fifty people who have been fired. They're saying that Google is quote no place for politics, gonna fool me.
Speaker 12: I was fired about a month ago.
Speaker 5: This is Eddie Hatfield. He lost his job last month after disrupting an Israeli tech conference that Google sponsored and.
Speaker 8: I refuse to build technology that powers genocide. It was sickening to see Google's name all over the walls of that room while speakers come up and use genocidal, violent language to refer to Palestinians. That room is a place where they're making decisions about how this technology gets used, but not everyone who's affected by those decisions is get let's to have a voice in that room, that being the people being bombed.
Speaker 12: By AI systems in Gaza, people moving between checkpoints in the West Bank and beyond. When when this technology eventually gets exported.
Speaker 3: All over the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I don't I think that we really are at this interesting crossroads where and you know those moments like when Congressman Barbara Lee was on the House floor and she was the lull like the loan.
Speaker 4: We were just.
Speaker 5: Talking about that, you know, we were waiting, Yeah, we were just talking about the courage of Barbara.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like saying this is not the war and then come to find out people are like what happens in mass destrection?
Speaker 4: Where are they?
Speaker 1: You don't want to find yourself on the wrong side of history. There are are student protests again from the beginning of time, trying to ensure that we never betray our moral compass in this country. Where will we stand even in tough times? Where where were we stand on courage? Where we stand when we see what what folks are up with against? You know, these young people dying, these innocent people dying, starving, can't make it to hospitals, don't know how they're going to see their next where they're going to see their next meal?
Speaker 4: Like this is a really I don't know. I think that the way that this is.
Speaker 1: Being handled, both in corporate and on college campuses is just wrong.
Speaker 5: But the root of the problem is is our foreign policy. You know, what we are seeing take place in Gaza is collective punishment. You know, it is hard for you to try to convince me it's not. That is an international war crime. Mark Lamont Hill have to give it to them. He did an amazing interview on Al Jazeera where he was really cornering government officials saying, but you are punishing all these people. We've seen grandmothers, grandmother's with their hands up like this, shot dead. We've seen children and starving, a mother holding her two year old. Biden said, if they kill Americans, then we have an issue. Well, they've killed Americans. We have crossed that red line at this point. And I don't think American life is any more valuable than Palestinian life. We are seeing murder. We are seeing murder, and we have to start calling it what it is. And I see time and again on media interviews with a lot of young Jewish students who are on another side of the divide and saying, yes, it is anti Semitism, and we're, you know, on the receiving end of this, And my thought is I get so angry you got I mean really to the point where it crushes my mental health for today, where I find myself consumed by it, because I want to shout where the are the Palestinian students who are harassed every day, the Muslims who are harassed, the policies that impact them, And if you just put out one voice, you might start to think, oh, all these Jewish students are getting harassed. You never hear from the Jewish students on the other side who are saying, hey, we stand in solidarity with you. We don't support what's happening over there. So Mike push to young.
Speaker 4: Young her out there today.
Speaker 5: Thank you Angela for planning that sound bite. And that's why Native Land exists because you will hear. And thank you Nick, our producer, Nick, Thank you first show that other side because you don't see it happen all the time. And so my advice. First, I want to say kudos to this young man at Google, and kudos to everybody out there making their voices heard. Kudos to the people at the Columbia Daily Spectator, the Young j School students there, you know jeln and Cobb dean of the Jay School over there, who tweeted out if you're being denied access, you know, DM me, I'll make sure the press has access. Bear witness, tell your story, speak out. Don't be the last person to speak out, you know, don't be the last person when it becomes cool to say, oh, this is a problem, like you have skin in the game, and right now this machine that silences you, that says you have a different point of view being run. But we don't have time to get into it. But I want people to look at net and Yahoo's cabinet. I want you to look at the backgrounds of the people that this man is empowered. Look at his own record, the way he disrespected the United States during Obama's administration, the way he disrespects President Biden to this day, the way that Israeli's are calling on his resignation. To Angelo's point, we cannot conflate protest with anarchy or.
Speaker 4: Or the Israeli government with Jewish the same thing.
Speaker 5: It's not the same.
Speaker 1: It's so dangerous, it is so dangerous, it is so harmful. We are not anti Semitic, because we are not going to support that. The the white supremacist Israeli government like that.
Speaker 4: We have to make a.
Speaker 3: Decision government correct. A man who had intelligence, by the way, plenty of it prior to the seventh prior to could have helped, could have prevented right what occurred on that day, could have extracted even more hostages up to this point, which is what the families are calling for. Bring our loved ones home. But he has assuaged. He's sidestepped bringing home hostages so that he can continue to persecute, an un unhumane war to annihilate a group of people, right, he wants to extinguish. And what bothers me the most is that folks are making no distinction between the terrorists of Hamas and the people of I said Palestinian authority before, because that's the governing body, But of the people of Palestine yet to be named, who are just living their lives, or at least trying to Jose undressed in his group, who had clearly labeled vehicles that they were there for humanitarian purposes, who had coordinated their movements with the Israeli Defense ministry, who had three vehicles systematically taken out in innocent people who were just trying to feed starving people in Gaza killed. Right, there's nothing which way around this way, this word, in the way it is being persecuted, that is right. And I'm so sick of people telling us in anniversary and memorials, never again, never again, this never again, for we shit idly by, never again what we watch as such and such happens, never again. Well we're at it again. We're at it again. And in this package, we are sending a billion in an aid for the people of Gaza and multiple.
Speaker 1: Billions and weapons seventeen, multiple millions, and we thank you, thank you making it makes sense.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense, and I don't want your thoughts, prayers and all that other stuff. And years later your memos and memoirs that say, the biggest regret I have was that we didn't do more to save innocent life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and we know said that before.
Speaker 1: Of course, isation happens. You know this is this is how that happens. And I think you know this is a conversation that we're going to can We know that it's risky for us to talk about it, but we know what's riskier is not being able to sleep at night, being on the wrong side of history, knowing what it's like to be an oppressed people. If we can stand in solidarity with these folks to say, you know what, not on our watch. We're going to talk about it here every week if we can.
Speaker 3: And Angela, I know you're rapping, but I just we also as Americans have to acknowledge what our documents are founding, what we believe in our nerve, heart and sin you, which is even if I don't agree with you, in a democracy, I still have to stand and protect your ability to say what it is that you think. And simply because we disagree with each other, we want to squash out free opinion, protest people's ability to peaceably assemble. And I've got too many Jewish friends, too many who I know to a fact would never ever, ever want to look back and be reflected in history as having stamped out free speech simply because we disagree.
Speaker 5: And just for this package, I just wanted to really drive his point home because I think Andrew you said it, but we kind of moved past it. This would be this package in like aid to Gaza and then weapons. It would be the equivalent of a foreign power sending a million dollars in aid to the enslaved while sending billions of weapons to the Confederacy. Come on, I think you cannot save me and kill me at the same time.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 1: It's impossible, and I don't know how your moral compass is telling you that's okay.
Speaker 3: So we and you can morally reject an assault on innocent people which occurred in Israel and could have been prevented by the horrible president, and at the same time you can decry inhumane and unjust war practices and tactics being waged against an innocent people.
Speaker 5: In fact, we.
Speaker 1: Must we uh, we definitely stand with and insolidarity with the students on these campuses, with the workers who just want to be heard at Google.
Speaker 4: And we'll be right back after this break.
Speaker 2: Well come, well come, well come, well come, well come, welcome.
Speaker 4: There's a gospel. So I don't know who's saying it, I'll fly away. Who did that? Was that haze Ky Walker?
Speaker 3: Now I don't know, but those movements were pretty hip hop fish.
Speaker 4: Oh it's too early, you know, it's two seconds.
Speaker 3: It was of the world.
Speaker 1: I remember there was a pastor that said, when you know, Kirk, go Jesus, go Jesu, let's go.
Speaker 4: To pass that. How you gonna tell Jesus to go? So there's always gonna be a reason for something.
Speaker 1: But in the meantime, I'm talking about flying away because American is trying to restrict your ability to do just that.
Speaker 4: Can Airlines said, not on my watch.
Speaker 1: If you don't book on my app, called my customer service, that you might not be able to get through.
Speaker 4: You ain't getting no miles, which y'all think about that.
Speaker 5: First of all, I didn't know we were in the show. I thought we were just.
Speaker 1: Talking gospel song because that was a thinking about flying.
Speaker 4: And so you know how my brain works, I gotta always harken back to a song gospel.
Speaker 5: It up about to make the audience suffering gospel. So this is what I have to say about that. I just got off an American Airlines flight, so it's very apropos and timely. I'm so over these airlines. Okay, the three largest carriers in the United States sponsorship. I love American Airlines except for this really big problem I have right now. Except for this tiny little problem American Airlines. No, I think that the three largest carriers in the United States have turned a profit. You know, there were things that happened during COVID where you know airlines because they mishandled and misappropriated funds before that that they found themselves with their pants down during COVID, and so everything was tight and you know, people, you could fly to California for twenty two dollars, you know, right, But now the I think Q two last year, the second quarter of last year, the airlines said hey, yes, we are seeing profits now. American Airlines specifically said that passenger revenue from international travel alone rose twenty two percent, so they can certainly afford. I think some of these points. It's like the seats are getting smaller, the planes are falling apart, everything twice trading so that they are regulated. What body right, I know they've gone before Congress. The FAA regulates them.
Speaker 1: That would be second Terry Pete, under Secretary. The perfect transportation is that fat mayor Pete Secretary Pete. We got a thing to say because the song said, I looked it up. It definitely as a car walker, I will be free one day I'll fly away. I would like to, but I don't know if I'm being able to afford these plane tickets, that's the thing. But they're saying, if you can't get my anywhere, because sometimes I need to use my mouth. Oh by the way, you guys, I can't forgot to tell you no. Do you know somebody hacked into my American Airlines count.
Speaker 5: And no thousands of miles.
Speaker 1: So not only am I now not gonna get miles potentially from these new trips I booked, but they literally it was like three different people. I should name them on this podcast, But how was.
Speaker 3: At first one.
Speaker 1: I was literally not to book my god son a ticket with my miles, and I was like, how.
Speaker 5: Do I got I just want to say I apologize. I needed to get the Turks and Caicos. I knew Angela's American Airlines number and this was not you.
Speaker 4: I'm going to prove it. I'm going to pull this up. It was crazy.
Speaker 1: You know who did it because I looked it up and then I just remember they told me I need to file the police report.
Speaker 5: And now now you don't know these people. No, how did they get to your.
Speaker 1: They had to tell my account somehow they had so they changed, like my mileage number, you should, but they like, send you Andrew.
Speaker 4: This is so rude. It's not first world to need your miles.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when it's to fly your cousin across the country wind.
Speaker 4: It's not my cousin, it's my godson.
Speaker 3: Because most of most of the godsons who ain't in first world problems are taking Greyhound across the countin.
Speaker 4: And that's a lie.
Speaker 1: Tell me the last time and tell you know what, how long does it take to take the damn bus from Tallahassee to LA Please tell me? Tell you when the last time you was on a Greyhound bus.
Speaker 3: Listen, I said, First of all, I didn't say I wouldn't in it.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 1: For those of you who have empathy and can understand what it's like to be stolen from you, guys know I have person no beef and trauma around people close to me being but not only that.
Speaker 4: Now it's the damn Rando's. I don't even know I'm gonna name these people.
Speaker 3: There's so much commercial.
Speaker 4: I can't name the people. I don't know miles I know, but I can say allegedly these people did.
Speaker 5: It, okay, never mind assent attorney out of the practice in l A law. I don't know if you can say that.
Speaker 4: If you know you're about to get anyway, it's fine.
Speaker 1: All I'm saying is, beginning in July, travelers will only receive loyalty points and advantage miles if they book their flights directly with American or what.
Speaker 5: If you're doing on an American Express, if you do it.
Speaker 1: Now, hold on your that's that's right. But I don't know about that answer. We gotta find the answer. But Andrew, here's the thing. Here's the part that is first world. You know how you can get your miles if you book with a preferred travel agency.
Speaker 4: Who's the preferred travel agency? So we need to see that.
Speaker 5: Is our person a preferred travel agency.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's not us, it's not us, but that is first world. I don't appreciate you calling me get my mile stolen.
Speaker 4: First world.
Speaker 1: I'm mad at you. Was already mad at you last time about Katie. Now I'm mad at you about this, and I apologize for showing out today.
Speaker 4: I'm not apologiz.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is that you apologizing to me for going off of me. I'm like, you do it every time we're tall.
Speaker 1: That is at Andrew to tell him that's not true. I don't be going off, no, brother, I normally am on your side and I fight somebody.
Speaker 4: Else about the public. Okay, tell me, tell me, give me an example.
Speaker 1: We're gonna move away acting like Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: No no stories that that was unnecessary.
Speaker 5: Well, so is this lie you telling that was unnecessary? And I said I never say fake news on this podcast. Well we have it anyway. I'm mad about the airlines thing. I don't like. The airlines got to do better, Like we spend a lot of money with these airlines, and we as you know, the people who patroon these airlines because we have to. How else are we going to get across the country. I think as customers we deserve a little more regard and respect. Nobody is getting on Greyhound, Nobody was light red bus?
Speaker 3: What that red bus?
Speaker 4: What is red bus?
Speaker 3: That's how the kids go home spring break? Every weekend. They jump on the red bus. They got internet, they go to Atlanta.
Speaker 4: Oh that sound that's like the fancy bus. I think I have heard that New York bus.
Speaker 5: The Hampton Jitney.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, either way, this conversation is over.
Speaker 3: Remember air trans Now back to the real world.
Speaker 5: Air train you can fly fifty dollars each way.
Speaker 1: You know what's crazy you can make in front of Spirit Airlines. I bet you they door and flowing offline.
Speaker 3: Nowhere where I gotta fight you for seats?
Speaker 4: You got seats. You gotta fight the plane to pack toilet paper?
Speaker 5: Are you paid for a c You ain't pay for no leg room.
Speaker 4: Okay, So now we are gonna listen to comments.
Speaker 1: We don't have questions. We have two comments from Native Lamppod's audience. We are going to start with Mark, Hello.
Speaker 9: Native lamb pod. My name is Mark Clemens' from Fairburg, Georgia, originally from California. I'd like to address Kelsey Plum's statement regarding the WNBA. She speaks about the w NBA and the CBA. First off, there's really no collective bargaining to be had there seeing that in twenty five years from the inception of the WNBA, they've never turned a profit. So if you want to be paid a fair salary, then you're gonna have to generate income more than what you're doing now. So what's needed. You need more people watching your game. Without TV money, there's no way you're going to add to the salaries. You need to think about what could be done to add more people watching your game instead of moaning and groaning about not being paid. There's so many athletes that wish they were able to go to a professional league where the WNBA is a league for women. So Miss Kelsey Plumb, instead of whining, let's come up with some ideas to create more people watching your game that will add to TV money and we'll add to your salaries. Thank you so much, have great day.
Speaker 5: I have to say thank you first of all for sending in that comment, I have to say, I find it incredibly disrespectful, and I can't imagine that he would talk to a woman that way, although I or a man that way, I should say I do again, though, I want to make sure that we invite these comments. We appreciate it, and we invite people who disagree with us. So, sir, I actually hear you right. So I hear your point. You clearly disagreed with Kelsey Plumb, and perhaps some of our words following it up. I do think you suggesting that Kelsey Plump is whining about not earning a fair wage. I do find that language a bit disrespectful. The WNBA brings in just two hundred million dollars annually, and so they do rely on the NBA for some of their funding. I think this young woman was well within her right to say that they just want to benefit from the profit that they do bring in. I hear you that, yes, we should all start watching. And I believe the TV deals and rights are up in twenty twenty five, so they're actually negotiating those now. And I hope that the WNBA is being heavily considered given how much excitement was generated around them. But I would invite you and just ask you respectfully to watch how we talk to young people, young women in particular, who are demanding to earn a fair and equitable wage. I don't know that I would call that whining with all this respect to you, Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got slightly less respect than Tiff. I'm working on it. God's not through with me yet.
Speaker 1: I would just say, as a as a factual matter, that there actually is a collective bargaining agreement with the w n b A and we can move on to the next statement.
Speaker 4: But thank you, Marco.
Speaker 1: Next time you'll consider weighing in uh and checking your facts first.
Speaker 3: Can I just say, where where do we ever blame? Do we blame the flight attendants for the new policies at American?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: Do we do we the baggage chandler for a delta because they had to get stimulus money during coches?
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 3: All I'm saying is the people who see it at the intersection of the impact are not always the ones who are responsible for the cure. These women are getting out there every single day, giving their heart, giving it all, leaving it all on the core and because big moneyed interests to back basketball decide to invest more in the camera, and then the person carrying the camera, and then the technology of the facility for men's basketball sports, And therefore when you look at certain women's games, it looks like a throwback to the high school, not because of skill, but because they didn't invest in how the thing gets recorded and projected, the dynamics of it. And we've come to expect that that's all that is asinine, except for the fact that we don't necessarily need to blame the people with the grievance for the structures that they have inherited. We don't blame the slave for slavery.
Speaker 4: But I'm gonna blame you for this podcast running over, So we don't go to the I'm done.
Speaker 1: I'm ov y, Mark, send me a better comment next time. Delete my comment too, No, don't delete it. We go keep it in there.
Speaker 11: Hey, Native lampod, I realized that I have the answer to your question that you asked a couple of weeks ago. What do we want our p s as to sound like? What do we want our political ads?
Speaker 3: That was the question, And.
Speaker 11: It occurred to me that the ones that have been most effective are when we get those mailers and they have the the side by side comparisons of here's a question, and then this candidate believes in this, This candidate believes this, this, this candidate believes this. Reading the data like that is what has been most effective. That's what I would like the p s as to be, Like, there's the answer.
Speaker 5: Okay, gotta go.
Speaker 11: This is DONALDA from Florida the teacher.
Speaker 3: Hi Andrew girl family, we can't ask questions already.
Speaker 4: Turn out she was the bag.
Speaker 5: It look healthy and full. I want to know your whole regime, girl tag looks like But let.
Speaker 4: Me tell you all this.
Speaker 1: I I theoretically like the approach. Think that works for a graphics ad. I don't know how well that would work visually speaking through those things. I'm a visual learner, so auditor. Hearing those comparisons to auditor at least probably challenging for me.
Speaker 5: No, but she's saying, as a mailer right on the.
Speaker 3: Fly, most effective for her. Yeah.
Speaker 1: She was saying, using the mailer model for a p s A or a political ad either.
Speaker 5: I think if you do it in print or yeah, but even if you did that and on social if you did that as and as broadcasted ad I think all of it works. I think for what she's saying, yeah, just contrast. The problem is though, even that that that opens people up to disinformation because you know people always say, oh, this person uh supports you know, murdering babies. You know, like people can can manipulate language and misinformation and disinformation and start telling our folks to be like, site a source, and when they cite the source, and that source be like boo boo.
Speaker 1: Toofood dot com. Yes you know it's not a reliable one. We'll have TIV do a primer really soon on how to know if a source it is a reliable primary source or not, or if it came came for your little cousin Rubu and them, are you heard, or.
Speaker 5: Is some random video on YouTube? Like that's not a source. I said that I can't remember if it was a Native Land page or the other show across dinner reasons, but I was saying, well, what are you talking about? Can you site your source? And the young lady responded, cite my source.
Speaker 1: This is Instagram, you said, And facts matter everywhere, darling.
Speaker 4: So to that point, because facts matter.
Speaker 1: And so does time, we are almost out of time today. We will not end our show without having a call to action segment, which of course is one of our favorites. We do not like to talk without and leaving y'all without anything to do.
Speaker 3: So I'm gonna defer my time to you, friend, because mins long.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, then I'm gonna take your time reclaiming your time. I will say to you that we have received such a wide and huge, loving response to our podcast about Marilyn Moseby and what happened in her case. Since then, we have been working diligently to figure out the best ways to support Maryland. And one of the things that became really really clear is that in order to ensure that her case is heard from this administration, from the Biden administration, is to ensure that we have a petition, and so that petition is now live. Color of Change has a platform called Organize for and you can find Pardon for Mosby there.
Speaker 4: We will have a QR code on our page.
Speaker 1: We'll have links on our social pages as well as in our podcast description for this episode, both on YouTube for visuals and on audio on iHeart. And so we hope that you will join us and signing that petition. It is our honor, our greatest honor to host this petition for our dear friend, a hero of ours and someone whose legacy is all about righting the wrongs of the criminal justice system, even some of the past from the President himself. This gives them an opportunity to join us in writing some of those wrongs and supporting Maryland some of that incredible work, including the work she did to stop prosecuting marijuana possession cases in Maryland. Testified, Yeah, testified before the House and the Senate at Kamala Harris's invitation on that robust and progressive policy. So if you're standing on her shoulders to implement some of those policies, perhaps you can stand with us and ensure that she's pardoned. Maryland is facing forty years in prison. She is scheduled to be sentenced on May twenty third, and we're hoping that we can halt that by getting her pardoned as she deserves.
Speaker 3: You're here.
Speaker 5: You shouldn't serve a single day day spending her money. He literally did nothing. And now we'll just invite you all to remember Andrew's testimony that he gave as a mini pod, but also what he shared today that she would be handcuffed. Cavity searched put in a maximum security prison away from her two young daughters who she's raising, and she stood on the front lines for us during Freddie Gray and she said to young people, our time is now, so to echo what Angel was saying, our time is now to show up for Marylyn.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, before we end the show, I want to remind you all to please not only leave us a review and subscribe to our podcast, but also be sure to sit in your comments and questions.
Speaker 5: We love hearing from you.
Speaker 1: We love to argue with y'all, We love to hike you up high price these apps, but we also want to make sure you know that we are available on every platform and get your podcasts and also on YouTube. Our episode dropped every single Thursday. We have a mini pod every now and then that drops on Monday. You hope that you'll check those out as well. You can also follow us all on social media at Native lamppod and our respective handles that I won't name right now. We are angela Rie, Tiffany Cross, Andrew Gillim and just in case y'all missed it, we are a mere one hundred and ninety three days until election day. Nevertheless, welcome home y'allo foo.
Speaker 2: Thank you for joining the Natives attention of with the info and all of the latest rock gulum and cross connected to the statements that you leave on our socials. Thank you sincerely for the patients reason for your choice is cleared, so.
Speaker 3: Grateful it took the execute roads.
Speaker 2: Thank you for serve, defend and protect the truth even in paste. We welcome home to all of the Natives.
Speaker 6: We thank you, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Y'all, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Native Lamppod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media. For more podcasts from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.