Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh, and there's Chuck and Jerry's here too, And this is Stuff you should Know about earthquakes in Alaska in nineteen sixty four. I'm going to talk like this, Oh the rest of the podcast. What do you think?
Speaker 1: I think that sixty percent of the people just stop listening.
Speaker 2: Well, they are going to be sorry, because this is going to be an interesting episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is you know, I had no idea how earthquake prone Alaska is was and is until doing this kind of research.
Speaker 2: Oh. I was raised on that knowledge. My family talked about it a lot.
Speaker 1: No comment in Toledo.
Speaker 2: Hey, Chuck, I have a question. Will you ask me the first time I was ever in an earthquake or ever felt in earthquake?
Speaker 1: When's the first time you ever felt to earthquake?
Speaker 2: Yesterday? Chuck? Will you ask me a follow up question? Ask what I was reading while I experienced that first earthquake?
Speaker 1: Well, where were you and what were you reading?
Speaker 2: I was reading this article about Alaska earth the Alaska earthquake of nineteen sixty four, and I was at home.
Speaker 1: Wow, I didn't know that you guys felt a trimmer.
Speaker 2: There was one in Cuba, like a six point eight, and I felt it in Central Florida, plain a day.
Speaker 1: Wow, I've never I lived in LA for five years and I never felt a single anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I pretty much assumed I would go the rest of my life with that feeling an earthquake, and nope, nope. Cuba had other ideas.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean after reading about how like far away, Like there's some pretty startling stuff in this episode, like as far as how far away could feel things, and like the upset that it caused like around the world, it's nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of people were upset about this for sure.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well, we're talking about the Good Friday earthquake of nineteen sixty four in Alaska, which at the time was the biggest, well the second largest ever in the world that they had recorded at nine point two, just behind the nine point five that hit Chile in nineteen sixty. Yeah, and considering the devastation that happened in Alaska, and probably only because it happened in Alaska, it only killed one hundred and thirty one people, which is a lot. But I think the earthquake itself in Alaska. How many people It's like fifteen people.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, I think there was actually in the whole state something like.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I'm saying how many people it killed?
Speaker 2: Was only oh oh, sorry, I thought you're saying how many people lived in Alaska.
Speaker 1: No, just like the literal earthquake of people in Alaska.
Speaker 2: I think it was like, yeah, fifteen or sixteen people. That was it from the actual earthquake. Yeah, I wonder why he laughed. Yeah, that was why, because I thought you were making a joke and I thought it was hilarious.
Speaker 1: So let's get to today.
Speaker 2: Well, there was one other big thing about this earthquake besides just the massiveness. I mean, nine point five that is awfully close to as high as you can go on the Richter scale.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, nine point two was this one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nine point two? Sorry, Chili was the nine point five Still nothing to sneeze at, right, second largest earthquake on record. One of the other reasons that it's important or significant is because it basically opened up the door for seismology and our understanding of earthquakes and tsunamis and basically everything we know about those things today. Kind of kicked off with this nineteen sixty four earthquake because we were able to like go study it. It happened at just the right time in a.
Speaker 1: Sense, Yeah, for sure. And this was a mega thrust earthquake. And as it turns out, the most destructive kind of earthquake that the world knows is the mega thrust. Out of the ten of the biggest earthquakes ever recorded have been mega thrust. And that is where and you know, we've talked about this in the Earthquakes episode as well as other ones, probably the Japanese tsunami one as well. Sure, but this mega thrust earthquake is what happens when you have two tectonic plates hitting one another, and the case of the mega thrust, the heavier one slides below the lighter one, and that heavier plate just dives into the mantle. It's you know, we talked about subduction a lot, but it subduces.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, It's subdued by the top one, right, And as it goes further and further in like the whole Earth's crust gets recycled over incredible spans of time. The problem is what causes a megathrust earthquake is that in some places that subdued plate doesn't go down. It locks with the plate on top when they converge, and they just press, impressed and press and press, and then eventually one of them is going to give. It's like a game of chicken or something like that. And when they give, it just slips, and it slips really quickly, and the entire, an entire region of Earth suddenly lurches forward like fifty feet. And when that happens, that's where you get like ten out of the ten most powerful earthquakes. That's where they come from. They're all mega thrust earthquakes, and that's how they're produced.
Speaker 1: That's right. The one in sixty four in Alaska was at the Alaska Aleutian Subduction Zone, and that's where the plates here in North America side over the Pacific plates is where they meet one another. And I think it runs from the Gulf of Alaska, and as we'll see, the epicenter was kind of right there on the waterfront almost, but it runs along the Gulf of Alaska to Russia's Kamchatka Peninsula.
Speaker 2: Which is an island in Russia.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's basically like the worst place to live. But at the time when people were settling along Alaska seward and what was the other big city that was affected by this anchorage and then a bunch of other slightly smaller cities, they didn't know that the subduction zone existed. It's nothing you can walk up to and point to. This thing exists under the oceans off shore. So they didn't know. But they found out in a big way after this earthquake that oh, yeah, actually there's a subduction zone. And as a matter of fact, the whole theory of plate tectonics is correct. This was another thing that it proved or showed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know, you said that that can happen really quickly. That's kind of what happens with these mega thrust earthquakes and why they're so kind of spectacular is that the speed at which it happens. And then in this case, just like how much was was moving. They said that the plates moved they estimate between thirty to six defeat kind of all at the same time, and that the area that moved, this is staggering, was five hundred miles by one hundred and twenty five.
Speaker 2: Miles suddenly moved sixty feet like in seconds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just yeah, it's hard to believe, right.
Speaker 2: And so again, like this five hundred by one hundred and twenty five mile chunk Anchorage, Valdez, sorry, Valdez, Seward and a bunch of other towns are like on that chunk of land that suddenly lurched forward. So not only did the land lurch, this earthquake just had all sorts of crazy effects, in part because the earthquake itself, nine point two, lasted for like four minutes. Yeah, four minutes of a nine point two earthquake sounds terrifying and crazy destructive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This was on March twenty seventh of that year, at about five thirty six pm is when it kicked out off. And you know when I talked about like how far reaching it was. Here are some like pretty startling examples. There were water level changes registered across every United State state except for Connecticut, Rhode Island, and Delaware. And when you see things like a well or a pond slashing back and forth, like water that doesn't normally move around is being moved, those are called seashwaves. And those were reported as far away as Australia and South Africa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't you see some little Australian can go a paw the pond's moving.
Speaker 1: It's a good Australian kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought so too. So those what'd you call them seiche waves?
Speaker 1: I called them siashwaves, seashwaves.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the Gulf, the Gulf of Mexico, fishing boats sank off Louisiana because those seishewaves slashing back and forth in the Gulf of Mexico was so potent so that it swamped some boats and sank them in the Gulf of Mexico, which is nowhere near Alaska.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it swayed the space needle. And by the way, you maybe had been reading too much of German on the show, because I think it probably would be siche in German.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something happened my brain like just ticked into just enough German that I mispronounced stuff a lot.
Speaker 1: Now, well I may be wrong too, but because maybe it's a German word, I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Well, let's spell it for everybody and then the listeners can make up for themselves how to pronounce it, shall we. I'll take the first letter, you take the second. We'll just alternate, like that.
Speaker 1: Okay, s E C H.
Speaker 2: E E E waves.
Speaker 1: Just want to get the end. Yeah, that thing rocked the space Needle, which is about a thousand miles away. And they did, you know, geological surveys afterward. They showed some parts of the coast were close to forty feet higher than they used to be. Other parts were, you know, a to eight feet lower than they used to be. It literally changed the coastline of Alaska as much as fifty feet in some parts. And this is like, you know, this is the kind of thing you think of when you think of an earthquake, like in a movie, Like you know, train tracks getting curled up, and telephone lines snapping like toothpicks, and cars being sucked into the earth.
Speaker 2: This is the kind of thing that presents a challenge to the rock.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, only he could save us, exactly.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately he was just a little tike if he was even born at this time, so he couldn't help anybody. One of the things that just fascinates me is that there were entire swaths of forests on the coastline that dropped into the ocean, not like oh, the lands caving in and all these these trees are like falling over down into the ocean. The entire stretch of forest still standing upright, just plunged downward into the ocean and was covered by the water. It just dropped. And that to me just is crazy fascinating. I like anything underwater I find fascinating, but also the idea of that happening like that suddenly is just mind boggling to me.
Speaker 1: Anything underwater's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Anything that's not supposed to be underwater that is underwater.
Speaker 1: Ah.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you seen the Drowned House?
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: It's like a found footage, but it's actually good found footage. It's an indie film where these scuba divers are exploring this house that was like at the bottom of a reservoir, so it's now underwater, and just that alone is awesome, But the plot's pretty cool too.
Speaker 1: So you're going deep with your horror.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's just so much bad horror out there that you really have to hunt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I didn't mean that to be a pun.
Speaker 2: By the way, going deep with the horror, yeah underwater? Oh oh yeah, German part of me, I'm taking everything quite literally. There's no such thing as anything funny.
Speaker 1: You know, we're going to talk a lot about the effects of the water, because again it's some pretty like devastating and remarkable stuff happened. I was right, It was only about fifteen people were killed from the actual earthquake. Most of the people died in the tsunamis that followed, right. There was one big one and a lot of smaller ones. I think the big one reached a wave reached a height of about two hundred feet, which is incredible to think about it. You know, as far south as California, like twelve people died in California from an earthquake that happened in Alaska.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went southward. It also went westward, went right past Hawaii all the way to Japan. It it kind of petered out by the time it hit Japan. But I mean, like that's a long way for a single wave to travel. I mean two hundred feet that's just nuts.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, this is a big wave.
Speaker 2: It is. It's a giant So with a tsunami, though, you have a really long time, you kind of have some warning after an earthquake, you can expect if you're along the coast that a tsunami is probably coming, so you can get away from that. The problem was is that all sorts of different towns and communities along the coast got swamped like almost immediately with tsunamis, not two hundred foot tsunamis, but still enough to like reck an entire town. And that was another thing that kind of the science finally got to the bottom of. But in some of these tsunamis, like for example, there's a village called Chenega, and four minutes after the earthquake, it just got washed away. There were sixty eight people who live there, twenty three of them died and the only thing that survived as far as their buildings are concerned, was the schoolhouse, which was built on higher ground one hundred feet above sea level. So like everything else in the town was just gone thanks to a tsunami that hit like lightning fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've got one for everyone here. Valdis, at Port Valdiz, they were, you know, everything kind of along the coastline. There was obviously swept into the ocean. Thirty two people very sadly passed in Valdiese and it ended up catching on fire, the oil tankers and stuff that were there, and then those were brought out to see so like you talk about a movie like oil tankers on fire in a wave being transported across the ocean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And then one of the other problems with Port Valdez was that the town was built on sand and gravel, not bedrock. And one of the things about Omega Thrust earthquake is it liquefies the soil. It turns what seemed to be totally solid ground into essentially a liquid and it can swallow stuff up like almost immediately. So huge parts of that town were also swallowed up by the earth all of a sudden, like this is Biblical end Times kind of stuff. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, at the risk of just going on and on, I got one more, I think, and then we can probably take a break. But if you're talking about Anchorage, you know, the biggest city there that got you know, an Alaska at least that got hit. There was a landslide because it also triggered landslides. We should have mentioned that, and the entire business district sank about nine feet. There were some building collapses, to be sure, but others just look kind of like the forest just dropped, like you know, anywhere from nine to twenty feet below ones that were just on the other side of the street.
Speaker 2: Did you see photos of that?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, Life magazine has a I mean there's a ton of good photos online that are just kind of hard to wrap your head around, like what you're looking at sometimes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it takes a section for sure, like one of those three d I posters, but with earthquake stuff instead.
Speaker 1: We did a whole episode on those.
Speaker 2: We did, and if I remember correctly, that was pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the magic I think.
Speaker 2: You want to take that break you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll take a break and talk about sort of what happened after right after this.
Speaker 2: So four minutes later, the earthquake stops, but there's still tsunamis, there's fires at sea, even like whole towns of collapse, Like it takes a little while for the dust to finally settle. When it does, I think, like the next day, Lyndon Johnson, who was president at the time, said, Alaska as a whole is a major disaster area. Remember I said, like telephone poles snapped and there were no roads anymore or railroads. That meant that people couldn't communicate with the outside world. So if you had family and friends outside of Alaska and they heard about this earthquake, they couldn't get in touch with you, and you couldn't get in touch with them. So it was a very hairy time for a lot of people until they could find out whether their loved ones were alive or not. And I think that damage is something like three billion dollars in today's dollars. Yeah, which again, like this is a state with like a population of I think two hundred and fifty thousand people at the time, Like it was not populated at all, but that's how much damage that earthquake did.
Speaker 1: Still, Yeah, they had to you know, I mentioned earlier that it changed the shape of Alaska and its coastline. It was so drastic that they had to kind of redraw the shipping lanes and say like hey, like you can't go that way anymore because of this, and they had to kind of, you know, redraw all of that area. Some people were, you know, Alaska strong, so we're not leaving. We're gonna build on top of where we were. Other people said, you know what, I'm going to go higher. Entire towns were gone and then popped up in other places, and Valdis is a great example because the Army Corps of Engineers came in and said, you know, Josh Clark one day will say that this was built on a gravel foundation, so you shouldn't even rebuild there. And there were only about five hundred, you know, plus or minus people living there at the time, and they said, you got three years to get out of here. We got a new Valdis for you about four miles away, and that's generally what happened. People left set up the new town of Valdis, which now has close to four thousand people, and they burned the rest of what was there down just to make sure that people didn't kind of like set up and squat there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of cool. You can go hike the old Valdis town. There's an intersection still of the two main drags, and I think, like there's the street sign up still and then they have plaques showing what used to be where. It looks like a pretty cool hike.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, we talked about how this kind of changed science. I think we should really kind of expand on that because it really changed science. Chuck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, this next part we need to think specifically, I think Livia used a Smithsonian Magazine article by Christian Elliott for this part. So big thanks to Christian Elliot for all the hard work and Livia so well of course in Libya always she's our north star after all. But you know, we've already kind of said it, but I guess more specifically we should say that, you know, at this time in nineteen sixty four, the idea of what we knew about plate tectonics was not you know, entrenched, Like people kind of had a good idea of what they thought was going on for a long time. People had been checking out maps and saying like, hey, I think that this used to be connected right here, and maybe things stripped it apart, but it was still sort of being actively debated at the time, and this really kind of like laid bare, like, yeah, this is not a hypothesis anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's crazy to think that plate tectonics wasn't accepted until the sixties, but that's that's exactly how it was. So this was such a massive earthquake, it just presented all sorts of different places where evidence kind of came along that said, Okay, explain this, what explains this what explains that? And it turns out that plate tectonics essentially was the only theory that fit, you know, that explained how the earth went up here, or how it sunk here, or how it moved fifty feet onto the sea here, or why this you know, this town just got swallowed up. All of this could be explained by plate tectonics and not the other rival theories. I think the the other rival theory was that earthquakes were God's will, and play tectonics just explains it better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. This is obviously a gold mine for the US Geological Survey. So they got people to Alaska like really quick, and you know, got out all their do hickeys and whirley gigs and measuring tape, and we're like, hey, we can really learn a lot from this stuff. You know, people are being taken care of, so now we need to kind of figure out what happens moving forward. One of the interesting things they found, and some of the stuff gets really really interesting. I think that popped up especially. I'll just tease out the fungus that's coming among us soon.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: But they looked at those forests that you were talking about that sunk below the ocean they you know, filled up with like sediment and seawater and stuff. And they were digging around down there trying to just study it. And they kept digging and they said, you know what, there's other like below this stuff. We're finding older land plants. And so this has happened before, you guys, like probably more than several times over the last like thousands or millions of years, and it's gonna happen again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can't you kind of just see like if you sped it up like a forest just sinking into the sea and then being covered with sediment and a new forest grows on top of it, and that sinks in the sea, and if you do it fast enough that bugs Bunny Powerhouse song just starts playing like it just becomes a conveyor belt.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just nuts to think about.
Speaker 2: But that's exactly what they found with that. And they found that from the Alaska earthquake. And they were like, Okay, didn't know that this happened. Now that we know this, this is a thing, we can start looking for it in other places we think are earthquake prone. And they started looking around and they found it in other places as a matter of fact, the big one along the Cascadian subduction zone that threatens California every moment of every day. We know about that thanks to the science that they figured out thanks to the Alaska earthquake of sixty four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at birthed a new science in paleo seismology, which is that I meaning that didn't happen every day. We try all the time to birth new sciences and no one's listening.
Speaker 2: Now, but we don't have cool names like paleo seismology or megathrust, and maybe we should rethink things.
Speaker 1: That's true. Mega thrust is the sexiest science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like a Guar album.
Speaker 1: Oh it does actually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Another thing was that we kind of talked about that we didn't really understand before were tsunamis title waves, And of course we knew about tsunamis and title waves, and I guess science has kind of had a pretty decent grasp. I'm like, Okay, an epicenter of a major earthquake out at sea is going to send a tsunami and maybe we can't even calculate how long it'll take to get there and all that stuff. But they were baffled by why some of these coastal areas were hit by tsunamis within just a couple of minutes of the earthquake. It just did not fit into the understanding of tidal waves at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. So they you know, did some literal digging and some figurative digging, and they came to this was the unique shape of Alaska's coastline at the time, where you know, very jagged and you'd have some deep fiords where glaciers had cut into the land that would send silts onto the ocean floor. And the quake just kind of stirred all this stuff up, like you know, sand in a glass that had been settled down there for centuries and centuries. And these were basically underwater landslides that caused these waves. So it was I think that a new term was birth, which was land landslide tsunami.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, it's like dropping something heavy in a bathtub and preduke like that. But it's a little different, but the same thing kind of.
Speaker 1: That's right. And you man, you got to tell them about this spungus.
Speaker 2: This is it I hard to believe, this is yours. I'll tee it up for you, all right, there is a mystery with some fungus. Get to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Crypto caucus, that's pretty easy. Cryptoccus Gatti too, TI's two eyes.
Speaker 2: No is Cryptococcus Gotti?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got Ti? That's right. And how you have to say it?
Speaker 2: I think so, but you have to go up really high.
Speaker 1: Pitched got te. So this is a microscopic fungus. It can be pretty bad. It can cause fatal infections. But it's like this native to the tropics, So Alaska's like, we don't have to worry about that kind of thing. Sure, it grows on rotting wood in the tropics, and apparently it survives pretty well in seawater. At the turn of the twentieth century, apparently some of this fungus ended up among us and by way of a ballast in the water of a ship that was going on a route from Brazil to Vancouver and off the coast of the Pacific northwest there. Once this stuff was spilled out of that ballast, it said, Hey, we like the seawater. We're going to adapt and we're here. You don't know we're here yet, but we're going to be here. In nineteen sixty four, when this tsunami happens, and it's going to spread us now far and wide, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean that tsunami took this stuff that had just been hanging out off the coast that no one even knew was there except maybe that ship captain if he was nefarious, that's right, and just spread it inland. This is nineteen sixty four, and now all of a sudden, the fungus is like, Okay, we're in a new habitat, new ecosystem. Let's get to adapting here. And it did. It survived that tsunami and started to readapt to life on land, but life on land in the tundra essentially. And so as that stuff started adapting and adapting, by the nineties it was capable of infecting people again. And there was this mysterious outbreak of Cryptococcus gati and they could not figure out what the heck was going on because, as far as anybody knew, the only place you found that was in the tropics on rotting wood. I guess some epidemiologists kind of put two and two together based on the tsunami. He was like, basically, the only way you could have taken this stuff and gotten it all over the land is from a tsunami, so he figured that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's I just I would love to know more about the story of how they traced it to this one ship that went from Brazil to Vancouver. You know, obviously shipping records, but it's still like quite a bit of scientific detective work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure. And I'm not sure if he figured that part out too or not, but I know that I was reading in that article by Christian Elliott in Smithsonian. He's talking about how the guy figured out how it got onto land at least.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty cool. All right, So we'll take our final break here and we'll talk about maybe a silver lining that came out of this right after this, all right. So, you know, anytime something like this happens, there is usually a scientific silver lining as far as just learning, you know, about things that took place, learning how to maybe not prevent in the future, but at least get more lead time in the future. And then also and most importantly probably is like how to build and where to build moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the Alaska earthquake taught us not there, Nope, not there either, Yeah, not there, not there, And it just goes on like that, right, But people were like, no, we want to build there. So one of the things that we learned how to do was to number one, figure out where not to build, but also how to build so that like buildings just didn't immediately call apps and whole towns weren't just swallowed up at the drop of a richter. You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, Alaska as a state started adopting you know, obviously new building codes, and you know, especially if it was like a big building, if it was like a like a large apartment building, which I mean I don't think Alaska has a ton of those, but you know, larger buildings. They are now kind of neck and neck with California for having the strictest building codes, and it's worked pretty well. There was another big earthquake and Anchorage in twenty eighteen that injured about one hundred and seventeen people. That was a seven point zero and caused seventy six million dollars in damages. But and you know, stuff got destroyed, like roads and stuff, to be sure, but no one died. There were no like really serious injuries, and a lot of those buildings stayed you know upright.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And So one reason or one way that they developed those building codes and also where to build was the widespread deployment of seismographs. Right. I think in the nineteen sixty four earthquake, there were only two seismograph stations in all of Alaska, right, and the oldest one had been installed sixty years before. Right after that, they started throwing seismic stations up all over Alaska, around California, in western Canada, and we started to develop more and more information. One thing I saw is that the thing that really got seismographs out there though, was the arms race. The nuclear arms race.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we.
Speaker 2: Were using seismographs to listen out for other countries secretly testing nukes, and that that's what we were using them for initially, and then people were like, huh, let's start actually listening for earthquakes. So by being able to get a lot of information about big and small quakes, how frequently they were, where they were epicentered, we were able to really kind of zero in and come up with entire maps of where to build, where not to build. There's this National Seismic Hazard Map, which is a party in a map from what I understand, and we have that thanks to this earthquake in the science that it kicked off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I think just like less than ten years later, there were up to ninety seismic stations in Alaska alone, and then by the mid two thousands, I think one hundred and ninety seven sites in Alaska and Western Canada. That was just over like a three year period through the National Science Foundation's us Array project from twenty fourteen to twenty seventeen is when they got all those and then what we learned about, you know, tsunamis and people living along the coast like that led to a lot of new information as far as what was ended up being the National Tsunami Warning Center.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we definitely got way better at predicting where tsunamis would hit, how bad it would be. And one of the other things too, is I guess people didn't really realize this, but if you were living on the coast, probably if you were of European descent, I'll bet if you were indigenous, you already knew this. But if you feel an earthquake, go run to high land, Yeah, because there's probably a tsunami coming within a couple minutes. That seemed to have been widely understood only after the earthquake in Alaska, which I guess makes sense if we didn't understand local tsunamis at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure they. I think the retreating glaciers are potentially causing even more trouble as far as today goes in Alaska. That permafrost could make the land more vulnerable to you know, destruction. I know, I mentioned the twenty eighteen one. There was even bigger one just a few years ago in twenty twenty one, that reached eight point two, but being Alaska, it was fortunately in a more remote area. Yeah, and so a lot less damage. That's kind of you know, the one benefit of Alaska. The reason this one was so bad, it was because it hit the towns and cities along.
Speaker 2: The coast right exactly for sure. Yeah. And the fossil fuel industry was joyous because there pipeline, the Trans Alaska Pipeline, did not suffer much damage in earthquake in two thousand and two, I.
Speaker 1: Think, Yeah, I mean that's one of the big worries is that there's so much oil activity there in fossil fuel infrastructure that you know, an another big one that did a lot of damage to that could cause you know, big obviously human concerns, but very much could devastate the region environmentally for sure.
Speaker 2: And I mean in part because so the Trans Alaska pipeline. In this case, it was the Dnali fault that caused a seven point nine magnitude earthquake the two thousand and two to one, and that pipeline goes right across the fault. So yes, it is a very seems like a tenuous technology as it stands. For sure, you got anything else about the Alaska earthquake of nineteen sixty four, I do not. Nope, Okay, I don't either, So I guess that means it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to forego listener mail for the next couple of weeks to chat a little bit like at fireside chat about our upcoming sea voyage with Virgin Cruises above the Valiant Lady, We're going to be taken to see, Okay, taking and taken to see. We're going from New York City to Bermuda October second through seventh with our colleagues, our old pals. You know that we started the stuff shows with way back in the day, A couple of which stuff Mom never told you, and stuff they don't want you to know. We'll be there with us, we'll be doing a live show, we'll be doing some other stuff. They keep talking about these other events we're going to do. I don't know if it's like a trivia night or definitely like meet and greets and stuff. But we're pretty excited about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. And I think, did you say we're going to Bermuda? Yeah, okay, so I think it's worth saying again we're going to Bermuda on this and it's going to be a pretty fun five night cruise. And I believe there's still passages that can be booked, but they're actually selling like pretty fast. I'm impressed with us, Chuck.
Speaker 1: I know, I'm excited. And we just found out, you know, Matt and Noel and Ben with stuff they don't want you to know, have been on one of these before. And they said it was a great time. And they said, here's a little pro tip. You know, the venue where we're doing our actual the live podcast portion, you know, can't fit twenty seven hundred like everybody on board, right, And they said, hey, pro tip here is when you get on board, you sign up for the different stuff. So I think through the app, so they like tell everybody to get on there and sign up for your live show. But I think they're also like, they're gonna have cameras and you can watch it on TV in your room as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, Nate, closed circuit Is there anything more wondrous than close circuit TV?
Speaker 1: I don't know. We should do a show about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that should be our onboard show, that's right. Yes, So you can go to Virgin dot com slash Stuff at Sea.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, or just google Stuff at Sea Virgin Cruises, Stuff you Should Know Cruise. It'll all get you.
Speaker 2: There, and there really is no better time to learn how to walk around with a parrot on your shoulder than this particular.
Speaker 1: Cruise, agreed.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So we'll see you guys in October, but even before then, we'll see you on the next episode of Stuff you Should Know. And in the meantime you can send us an email to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.