Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central, from the most trusted journalists.
Speaker 2: At Comedy Central, It's America's only source for news. This is The Daily Show with your host Jessey Lightning.
Speaker 3: Welcome in the Daily Show. I'm Jennie Lighteck.
Speaker 4: You've got so much to talk about tonight. The Capitol bathroom has become a war zone. Thanksgiving Turkey is a lie, and Matt Gates finishes too soon. Let's get into the headline. Let's pick things off with some breaking news. If you've ever dreamed of being an attorney general, update your resume because they have an opening.
Speaker 5: Major breaking news.
Speaker 2: President ELEC.
Speaker 5: Donald Trump's pick for Attorney General is out.
Speaker 6: Matt Gates says he is withdrawing his name from.
Speaker 5: Consideration from himself.
Speaker 1: Has put out a statement, Matt has a wonderful future and I look forward to watching all of the great things that he will do.
Speaker 4: Oh you want to watch all the great things Matt Gates will do?
Speaker 3: Might I suggest downloading the Citizens app?
Speaker 4: But yes, this this was a shocking announcement from the Trunk team, and as you can say, no one was more surprised than Matt Gates. What a week Gates has had he resigned from Congress, everyone talked NonStop about how he's a sex criminal and a pedophile and now he doesn't even get to be Attorney general. This guy is so hard that he had to venmo himself. Ten grands pour out a Caprice's son for one of the goats. But let's move on. We've all heard the official story of the twenty twenty four election. According to the pundits, the Democrats were obsessed with woke. They then politics that didn't connect with voters, while Republicans were talking about real issues that affect people day to day. So now Republicans are in charge of both houses of Congress. So let's hear about the economy.
Speaker 6: On Capitol Hill, Speaker of the House Mike Johnson took aim of Democrat Sarah McBride, the first trans member of Congress eight borrowed transgender people from using the Capitol Complex bathrooms that do not align with the sex assigned at birth.
Speaker 4: Hmm, okay, forget about the economy. I guess the national mandate was making it harder for this one woman to poop at work. And by the way, who appointed and Mike Johnson is the king of bathrooms.
Speaker 7: Under House rules, the speaker has general control of facilities in the chamber.
Speaker 4: Oh, I guess he's the king of bathrooms. Pardon me, your majesty. Government is weird sometimes. This guy is second in line for the presidency, and he also has to refill the soap dispensers. So now, Sarah McBride, the first trans congresswoman, hasn't even started work yet, and she already has to run around the corner to Starbucks to pee. And she is handling this situation more calmly than I would when I have to get to the bathroom.
Speaker 7: Sarah McBride actually did respond in a statement, she said, I am not here to fight about bathrooms. I'm here to fight for Delawareans and to bring down cost facing families. I've remained hard at work preparing to represent the greatest state in the Union come January.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, Although did you just say that Delaware is the greatest state? Have you tried any other state? I mean, you won, You don't need to keep saying that. But the point is, Sarah McBride is not the one pushing this issue. The whole thing started because of one Congresswoman, Nancy Mace, the Republican from South Carolina, where things must be running so smoothly that she can devote all her energy to this.
Speaker 8: I'm going to file like hel for Women and Girls to keep men out of women's private spaces, to include bathrooms, restrooms, locker rooms.
Speaker 5: Changing rooms, you name it. You are not welcome.
Speaker 8: And being a feminist makes me an extremist or a bigot or a monster.
Speaker 5: I am totally here for it.
Speaker 8: I've said it before and I'll say it again. Come at me, bro are bros. In this case.
Speaker 4: I don't love her bigotry there, but I do respect her dedication to getting her steps in. I listen to podcasts, but holing your coworkers is also a choice. Honestly transphobic. Cruela Deville's logic might my backfire here because all of her drama ironically is affirming Sarah McBride's gender. There is nothing that defines the female experience more than starting a new job and a woman at work just decides she hates you. And Nancy Mace really seems to hate Sarah McBride. It's like it's her full time job.
Speaker 1: In just seventy two hours on X Representative, Nancy Mace has posted about trans women and bathrooms more than three hundred and twenty five times.
Speaker 4: What the three hundred and twenty five tweets? How can anyone else even use the bathroom when Mace's on the toilet tweeting all day?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Jesus, I have.
Speaker 4: Never hated anything so much that I had to buy a new data plan. That is way too much tweeting. Even Elon Musk is like, have you considered joining Blue Sky? She's not just posting on the Internet, she's posting on the balls.
Speaker 9: South Carolina Congresswoman Nancy Mace hanging signs for biological women on restrooms.
Speaker 4: Tutta, your tax dollars paid for this, But hey, she's getting a lot of attention for her bullshit politics, and even if it's pissing off a lot of people, you know who would not be happy with Nancy Mace right now twenty twenty one.
Speaker 10: Nancy Mace Back in twenty twenty one, she said, I strongly support LGBTQ rights and equality. No one should be discriminated against. I have friends and family that identify as LGBTQ. Having been around gay, lesbian, and transgender people has informed my opinion over my lifetime.
Speaker 3: HM wonder what changed.
Speaker 4: I guess the biggest transition was Nancy Mace wanting to identify as the center of attention. Here's how you know that this is all performative. Well, first the performance ta da.
Speaker 3: And also here's what she claims. The problem is.
Speaker 8: I'm not going to stand for a man. You know, someone with the penis is in the woman's locker room.
Speaker 5: That's not okay.
Speaker 8: I know how vulnerable women and girls are in private spaces.
Speaker 4: Yes, of course, you just want to protect women from hypothetical predators. That would play a lot better if you weren't trying to get actual predators into the highest levels of government.
Speaker 3: Pete Heggsi, RFK, Matt Gates.
Speaker 4: If Donald Trump nominated Bill Cosby, Nancy Mace would be walking in circles in an ugly eighties sweater, eating a pudding pum bottom line.
Speaker 3: Shit like this.
Speaker 8: Men are not allowed in women's spaces, period, full stop.
Speaker 4: In the story would land a lot harder if you weren't rolling with the guy whose attitude about women's spaces is this.
Speaker 7: They'll go backstage before a show, yes, and everyone's getting dressed and ready and everything else.
Speaker 9: And you know, no men are anywhere, and I'm allowed to go in because I'm the owner of the pageant and therefore I'm inspecting it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, tut up.
Speaker 4: When we come back, we find out the truth about Thanksgivings.
Speaker 3: Couldn't go away.
Speaker 8: Love the Magniney Show.
Speaker 4: We live in a time where everything has become the conspiracy theory. Vaccines have microchips, and then elections are stolen. Jay Leno is in debt to the mob. But those are just the obvious ones. Now there's a new show where they reveal the conspiracies we never even knew about.
Speaker 5: Check it out Conspiracies. They're everywhere? Or are they nowhere? Or is that exactly what they want you to think?
Speaker 12: So that's where my wallet is.
Speaker 5: Well for every day there's a meet I'm Kevin Matthew Kelp.
Speaker 12: Follow me as I pull back the curtain to find the truth behind the curtain.
Speaker 5: This is Project Conspiracy.
Speaker 13: Thanksgiving.
Speaker 12: It's a time to gather with friends and family and celebrate the birth of autumnal vegetables from a great horn vagina. But what if I told you this innocent fall festival that has no dark side whatsoever, has a dark side like most sheeple I used to believe in the myth of Thanksgiving as a time of peace and harmony. But then I started to notice a curious pattern.
Speaker 4: God damn it, Kevin, if I hear one more freaking conspiracy theory.
Speaker 13: It's not a conspiracy, Dad, The earth is actually a triangle. Every year at Thanksgiving, I would try to inform my family about new and brilliant ideas.
Speaker 5: You bisexual, Kevin.
Speaker 12: Look here, what's wrong with you? Do some research, and every year, without fail, my entire family would act like I was the crazy one.
Speaker 2: The Chinese are not spreading propaganda and maroon five songs.
Speaker 12: Maroon is a shade of red, and there's five stars in the Chinese flag.
Speaker 1: Do I have to spell it out for you?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 12: What is it about this holiday that warps my family's minds and turns them against rational thought? It's time to give thanks for the truth, Gobble gobble. Thanksgiving is in every nook and cranny of our culture. But I had to start somewhere. As we all know, Thanksgiving was started by the Pilgrims, a shadowy cabal so devoted to suppressing good ideas they literally force people to.
Speaker 5: Put locks on their brains.
Speaker 12: In eighteen sixty three, Thanksgiving was declared a national holiday by Abraham Lincoln, the king of making Americans fight each other honest abe, more like.
Speaker 5: Dis honest abe. Of course, the main event of Thanksgiving the turkey.
Speaker 12: We don't eat turkey as a main course any other day of the year. It's dry, it's bland and frankly, it's just playing fuggly. Why is the government pushing turkey on us for this one day every year? Time to go to the source.
Speaker 3: Look at all this.
Speaker 5: They push this stuff hard.
Speaker 12: Huh, buy one, get one.
Speaker 2: That is a good deal, though.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's a lot of turkey you got there?
Speaker 12: Eat all that you're gonna Oh d on? Tripp to van?
Speaker 3: What tripper van?
Speaker 5: You know, the weird chemical and turkey. You're fool You've given the whole game away. Well, you gotta pay for that.
Speaker 2: Money.
Speaker 5: Isn't real turkey.
Speaker 3: It's got the trip to fan that knocks everybody on at some point.
Speaker 12: So what does trip to fan do to our bodies?
Speaker 11: Side effects of too much tripp Deman may cause agitation and confusion.
Speaker 12: Oh d on, it made perfect sense. Drowsiness, agitation, and confusion. Turkeys turn our families against us with their mind altering chemicals.
Speaker 5: Of course, it was.
Speaker 12: The turkey, and they're rewarded for their work with a presidential pardon and granted unlimited access to the highest corridors of American power.
Speaker 5: This has gone on long enough.
Speaker 12: If I'm going to end this foul play, I'll have to execute a plan with all the trimmings. This might look like a regular turkey, but don't let your eyes fool you. It's completely fake. And now we'll see if removing the mind control turkey and serving them my untainted meat sets my family's minds free. Perfect, let's eat testing.
Speaker 5: Here we go, Operation Gobbler begins.
Speaker 3: Now, hey, glad you made it. Listen, don't be weird this year.
Speaker 5: Okay, what, of course, not even about a normal turkey?
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you mean normal? Hilarius?
Speaker 5: Excuse me, Lisa got a normal turkey. Everybody who's loving this turkey?
Speaker 14: Huh?
Speaker 12: Come on? Everybody dig in? Speaking of digging, you know, dinosaurs aren't real. All those bones are a hoax to market the Jurassic Park franchise.
Speaker 5: God damn it, Keurviy you promised you wouldn't do this.
Speaker 8: This is just like when you said ancient aliens built mount Rushmore.
Speaker 5: You don't believe me.
Speaker 13: Oh, have some turkey?
Speaker 3: What would you do to it? It smells like spray paint.
Speaker 5: No, it doesn't look.
Speaker 1: The best turkey I ever have. I have about Bramla.
Speaker 3: West Peace, Trevin and we have that.
Speaker 4: Brittany Howard Hope joining me on the joke, says.
Speaker 14: Welco away, welcome back to thank the show.
Speaker 4: My guest to night is the Grammy Award winning artist whose latest album is called What Now.
Speaker 3: Please welcome Brittany Howard. You're so cool. What's it like to be this cool?
Speaker 11: No one ever asked me that.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, am I you are? I mean, come on? Is she the epitome at Pool?
Speaker 11: Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Wow, congratulations on your Grammy nomination.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Why this says.
Speaker 4: On your new album What Now? Are you a fortune teller? How did you know we'd all be asking ourselves that question?
Speaker 5: Listen?
Speaker 11: It was crazy when I wrote the album, and there's no stopping it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You wrote the album out of not being able to tour right during lockdown.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 11: It was during the pandemic and I had finished watching Tiger King and it wasn't like the good part of the pandemic where you're like, oh, I might not have to go to work for like a month. You know. It was like I got into the dredges of it. We all know about it, you know, and started just having kind of like an existential crisis. Not a crisis, but more just like, well, I got nothing better to do with my time, let me just like figure out who I am real quick. And that's really where the album started. It was just some crazy times we didn't know what was going to happen next.
Speaker 4: It's so inspiring because you you take that lockdown and you're like, let me figure out who I am and write a Grammy nominated album. And I was like, how many housewives are there? I mean, that's what most people did. It's really remarkable.
Speaker 11: I'm not going to judge you for your use of time.
Speaker 5: Ways to get through it.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: I think one of the things that sets you apart from so many artists is that you really are genre defying. You don't you talk about not really wanting to be boxed in by any particular type of music, and you have all these different influences funk and R and B and soul and dance, music and exploring with all of these different vocal techniques, particularly in this new album. What was behind the creative inspiration for that?
Speaker 11: I think the creative inspiration was really just who am I now and who do I want to be next? And really taking responsibility of who I become, you know, and creatively, it was just like, you know what, if I made something and it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it, and it doesn't matter what genre lies in, and it doesn't have to be necessarily like anything I've done before, and I just pray, I just like play homage to all of these artists that have come before me and really connecting my emotions to music, and every emotion's different, and I think they all deserve their own soundtrack.
Speaker 3: I heard that.
Speaker 4: You've mentioned being influenced by a lot of different artists, and you mentioned being very influenced by Prince and studying Prince and his techniques. Do you feel like musical ability is something that you can study and perfect or is it something that you're just sort of born.
Speaker 11: With you can absolutely perfect it. When I started, I was terrible.
Speaker 3: I doubt that.
Speaker 11: No, it's out there, and I had a computer with all the songs on it from when I was like thirteen fourteen and it's gone now, just took it out back never to be seen again. And I had to practice. I had to practice. I feel like the curiosity was there, and I think that's the most important element of creativity, is just being curious about, well, what if I did this and what if I did that? And having that spark, And that's what keeps me going. I just you just never know what you can make and what it can mean to you in the moment or later. And especially it's amazing what it means to other people and how it can connect it to each other. And I think that's why I just keep doing it.
Speaker 3: It's so interesting that you say that.
Speaker 4: I think that that transcends all types of not just art, but just experiences. Curiosity, just the idea of being curious kind of keeps everything alive, right right, You have an interesting Prince Store.
Speaker 3: You actually got to play with.
Speaker 11: Prince I did.
Speaker 8: I did.
Speaker 11: It was just a call out of the blue. So what happened was we played Minneapolis and some of Prince's band was there, and they went back and they were like, Yo, this band's great, and so Prince calls my management, not him personally, you know, but somebody with Prince adjacent sure calls my manager and was like, hey, can they show up tomorrow to play Paisley Park? And I remember my manager's face when they came in and they were like, they're like, you know, do you think you could do a little detour on your tour and go to Paisley Park and play with Prince. I was like, uh duh, yeah. So yeah, we show up and Prince is there and he's welcoming us into the studio. He's like super funny, super cool. He really does have a very low voice, and he was like, oh, I like this song, you got what kids it in? I want to hop up there and play with you. And I'm like what, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, I forgot the key.
Speaker 11: I was like I don't know. And we're playing the song right. And everybody always has a story about how Prince can like levitate, or Prince can disappear, Prince can you know, you know, all kinds of crazy stuff, like he's a ghost apparition, and I found it.
Speaker 12: To be true.
Speaker 3: Did he disappear?
Speaker 11: What happened was I'm up there playing the solo and I'm like this is about time where Prince is gonna come out right, And so we're just he's not showing up, and we're just like playing the same things over and over again, and I'm hoping he's gonna show up. And then out of nowhere, he just pops on stage and I'm like, okay, maybe I didn't see him get up here. You know, he shreads the solo so sick we start double sewing in my mind. I'm just like, I can't believe it. You know, this is the greatest story of my life. And we finished playing a song and he kisses me on the cheek and then he just jumps in the air and vanishes. Gone. Yeah, And I'm not the only one with that story that is.
Speaker 4: I mean, what an experience to have that you will always be able to look back at the time that you played with Prince and he just vanished into thin air.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I can confirm it. I'm one of those people who saw him vanish.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The song to Be Still, which is about a flower being taken care of in someone's garden, is this about someone in particular or is this just about the idea of being taken care of?
Speaker 11: You know, I'm a libra.
Speaker 3: I love love.
Speaker 11: It's my favorite thing on this planet. And it's just a very good thing. And I think love can grow if someone waters it. And so the song was just my imagining of what if I could quit looking for love and I could stay in one spot and I could blossom and I could put down roots, and I could be the greatest thing that I was always meant to be. And it's with support of something else, you know, And I just want to to write a song like that, And it just came to me and to me, it's just my peaceful place, this song.
Speaker 3: Oh well, we're so grateful that you're sharing it with us. Thank you for being here. I could talk to you forever, but you have to perform. So What Now is available everywhere.
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts. Watch The Daily Show week nights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 5: Plus Paramount Podcasts