Speaker 1: Welcome to Danielle with the Stars. I am Danielle Fischel, a TV director, a podcaster forever to Panga, and a mom of two. Currently, though I am learning how to ballroom dance one step at a time. You will see me on season thirty four of Dancing with the Stars, premiering September sixteenth on ABC and Disney Plus, and throughout the process, I am recording this podcast chronicling my journey, giving you the inside story of one celebrities quest for a Mirror Ball Trophy. I am in the mix as we speak, practicing every day for the debut episode, a night that will mark the first time I have danced in front of an audience since I recited a poem for Corey and applied lipstick across my face on Boy Meets at only twelve years old. Not kidding, but I figure the best way to prep for the moment is to talk to those who have competed before me, and today I have the privilege of talking to another superhero from the extended Podmeets World universe, a fellow tgiflum who already competed on Dancing with the Stars and lived to talk about it. She appeared on season twenty two of the show back in twenty sixteen and was partnered with dancer Kyo Mutzepi, finishing in sixth place and suffering one of the more dramatic injuries in Dancing with the Star's history. But don't get it twisted like her ankle. Even though week eight was her last, she went out with two basically perfect scores, a thirty on her jive and a twenty nine for her tango team up. She's the real deal and I know I need her help. Today on Danielle with the Stars, I am paired with Stephanie Tanner, herself the iconic middle child of full and Fuller House and the co host of How rutan Arito's Say Hello to Jody Sweeten. Hello, Hello, Jody. Thank you so much for agreeing to talk to me. I am for agreeing to.
Speaker 2: Talk to you as if I that's uh.
Speaker 3: You're right, because I don't thank you, my friend.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I have agreed for these purposes only for the next forty five to fifty five minutes, I.
Speaker 3: Will speak to you.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I really appreciate it. I know normally you have a strict no Danielle policy too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: From the second I met you, it's just been like, no, we don't get along.
Speaker 1: We don't will we will not discuss Yeah, no, okay, I know. But seriously, I really do appreciate it because I am in week one of practice and not since our Kushling's commercial have I felt this nervous about what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: So my god, Well, look, if you can handle Kushlings, you can handle dancing with the stars, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: They're very transferable skills.
Speaker 1: Oh, very friends, that makes me feel a lot better. I I just wanted to know. Did I make a bad decision here agreeing to do the show? I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know.
Speaker 2: Did you you like to dance and also be terrified on live TV in front of a large room full of screaming people?
Speaker 1: So were you terrified even though you're a great dancer? Absolutely?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, oh terrified.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: I will tell you this. I will tell you this.
Speaker 2: You will learn to hate those three clicks, oh gosh, because you'll hear them and that's when your music starts, and when you're in the ballroom half the time you can't hear it. Because people they want everybody to scream.
Speaker 1: So those the first.
Speaker 2: Like ten seconds when you're there and you're like, I just want to hear the music.
Speaker 1: Because if you know, if you don't hear that, you're like, you're going to be off. Yeah once if you start off on a bad foot, how do you ever catch up? Right? Right right right?
Speaker 2: But no, I and I don't mean to scare you because it was so much fun. It was such incredibly hard work, but I loved it.
Speaker 1: And I I did it.
Speaker 2: I mean I used to go watch ballroom dance competitions when I was like in my late teens.
Speaker 3: I'm a nerd and I love dance.
Speaker 1: That was your fun time.
Speaker 3: I mean not like.
Speaker 2: Every weekend, but I definitely went to a few because I loved ballroom dance and it was a type of dance that I never did, and it was partnering, but I just loved watching it. So when I got the chance to do it, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: How did you get the chance to do it? Did they approach you? What was the situation with how you joined the season? Uh?
Speaker 2: They approached me. It had been something I was like, oh, this would be fun, and we had talked about it a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 1: Maybe second season.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember what because we were shooting Fuller. We started shooting Fuller in twenty fifteen, and I want to say it was twenty.
Speaker 3: Sixteen, like season two.
Speaker 2: I think that I did Dancing with the Stars and they came to me. Max and Val had done an episode on Fuller.
Speaker 1: House oh famous a famous dancer brother doing.
Speaker 2: The Answer Brothers, the Schmikowsky's, and Candace had been VAL's partner when she did Dancing with Stars, and so they had done an episode and it was super fun and you know, and so then it was just kind of like I think that was maybe the seed planted amongst them a little bit, but it definitely once I went back to Fuller that that was kind of when it happened. And then I got eliminated the night before I went back to start working on season three, Season two season anyway, So yeah, I would have been doing both shows and I was like, yeah, I could do it. And then once I started back doing Fuller, I was like, I am so glad I'm doing too.
Speaker 1: How would it have been possible?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It was one of those things where like I do, I say yes and then figure it and then panic later.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So it's how I try to.
Speaker 2: Rule my life is just sure and then go, oh my god, what have you done?
Speaker 1: What have you done? Help me figure this out? Someone helped me.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but no, I was glad that because that would have been a lot, because it's as you do. Oh, I mean you're in just the first week, but it's a lot anyway, Yeah, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: And I think maybe the rules have changed. I don't know about when.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, what are the rules now post COVID post.
Speaker 2: It's been a long time. It's been almost ten years since I.
Speaker 1: Well, they they're limiting it, limiting us currently to only four hours a day, five days a week.
Speaker 2: That was, we have a limit, okay, have a limit four hours a day, five days a week. But I that was I went full out from.
Speaker 1: Day one, got it. That's what I figured. I figured you were. Yeah. I want to talk a little bit about your dance history, because I know you had never done ballroom before, but if people remember full House or have just kept track of your history and memes, they would know that if.
Speaker 3: You've seen a me, I mean you've seen me dancing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when did you start dancing? As a kid.
Speaker 2: Uh, dance was the first thing I ever did. I started dancing when I was about three. I started in like ballet and tap and you know, just having fun. But I loved it. I always loved performing. And really my first day dance recital was where my mom kind of saw that, like not saw that I was like enjoyed performing, but saw that I had zero problem being on a stage and moving other people out of the way so I could excuse me, you get Oh.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I was dressed as a little cabbage patch with a giant nineteen eighty four ok so, okayay, five sequins satin homemade costumes I had. I had like a giant bonnet thing for like look like a little cabbage patch kid. And that was my ballet number. And then I was dressed like a small duck. Oh my tap dancing number called I Am a dancing duck. I am the dancing duck. I am Tap tap tup.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, do a video of this.
Speaker 2: It's on VHS and my parents have it. But I do have the costume some okay, I have Oh, I have the little duck costume. I've got little orange tights that are probably this big you hitting my little tap shoes and the little feathers and the hat.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah. So, as you mentioned, it's a difference than doing a partner dance. Absolutely. Do you think having a background and dance helped you or hurt you?
Speaker 2: Of course, no, having a background and dance definitely helps. I mean it gives you the baseline for everything, okay, for turns, for holds, for a posture.
Speaker 1: All of that kind of stuff. Great, I have zero I'm.
Speaker 3: Hand placement all of that.
Speaker 2: It just makes it a little easier if your hands don't look like this, you know you're used to kind of blowing them or whatever.
Speaker 1: What was I saying? It? Did dance help you work? Thank you?
Speaker 3: There we go, So it helps me.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing Dancing with the Stars now because I forget my own name. You No, it definitely helped. It definitely helped, and because I loved it, I wanted to do it every day. I mean I want I was like, I want to dance four hours a day every day and push myself right.
Speaker 1: And so how quickly did you adjust to being with a partner.
Speaker 2: Well, you learn very quickly that your job is sort of just to.
Speaker 1: Follow okay, which is hard. Yeah, and I think.
Speaker 2: You're probably much like I am, and you're like no, no, no, no, I'm I can't charge. Yeah, I gotta know what I'm doing. And so that was like the hardest thing was really holds. You think you're just in a hold and dancing, but like no, no, no, your back and your arms and you're like, it's And I remember when I.
Speaker 1: We had a switch up week.
Speaker 2: I was with Keo and we had val and he would make me wear weights on my hands so that then when you took the weights off, it was that much easier to hold your hand, you know what I mean. So you got used to having that.
Speaker 1: Sort of weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it was a lot, but it definitely having a back a dance background was kind of key.
Speaker 1: I think it helped kind of push.
Speaker 3: Me along a little further.
Speaker 2: And Okay, I definitely think it helped who I think who won our season was Gingersy, and I think she had some dance background as well.
Speaker 1: So it can help, Okay, it can help for sure. Okay, great, well I don't have that so but let me tell.
Speaker 2: You there's also been like amazing ice skaters, ice dancers and other dancers that just don't make it the show.
Speaker 1: You never do we know of any klutzy middle aged women who've won, oh, who've won? Because that's what that's what I'm going for. I'm a real, real klutzy middle aged woman. I'm gonna just try to learn some grace.
Speaker 2: I feel like, learn, learn some grace, be patient with yourself. Okay, somewhere around week three or four, you'll probably have a meltdown. Yeah, yeah, that's kind of what it happens. It's I found that like, by the like week four, I had been practicing.
Speaker 3: Every day, we had had a couple of show, Like, I was just.
Speaker 2: Burnt, and it was like my brain stopped being able to kind of absorb information for like two days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I yeah, it was did.
Speaker 1: You slow down during those days? Did you? Then?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, no, But I did throw a fit.
Speaker 2: I did in the middle of my rehearsal. I wasn't getting something. I don't remember what it was, but it was like one of those stupid things were for whatever reason in my brain, I was like turning right.
Speaker 1: And it was supposed to be left, and I just couldn't get it.
Speaker 2: And I was just frustrated, and so I tried to make a really dramatic exit to the bathroom, okay, and the door handle wouldn't work, and so I was just spinning the door handle on camera because you know, they precred everything while trying to and I actually it made me laugh at myself because I was like, Okay, yeah, I mean, what are you gonna settle down?
Speaker 1: You're really having a tanta Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean I still had to go have a little tantrum and like cry in the bathroom, and then I was like, okay.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, Well, thank you for thinking it's I'm going to get to week four before I breakdown.
Speaker 3: But I do appreciate that you are absolutely going to make it to week for.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you. Can we talk about wardrobe also, because I don't really fully know what I'm in for with the outfits, so any advice you have is appreciated. How much input do you have in the things you wear?
Speaker 3: A fair amount, okay, because they come.
Speaker 2: To your rehearsals usually, okay, the wardrobe people. They will come to your rehearsals and see what your dance.
Speaker 1: Looks like, so that whatever they are.
Speaker 3: Creating for you kind of work well.
Speaker 2: And there's also like you know, fox trot, some of the like baller dances like that you have to wear a long dress.
Speaker 1: That's you know, samba.
Speaker 3: You're always in a like sort of swingy little thing because it makes your hips look really great.
Speaker 2: But you will you will have people changing you and putting body makeup in places while you're standing in.
Speaker 1: A room full of crowded people, and you will.
Speaker 2: The thing about dance, live theater and live television is you learn there is no modesty. You're like, I don't I have a quick change. I have to change from one number to the next, and I'm getting.
Speaker 1: Naked right here. Yeah, I gotta do it.
Speaker 2: They don't make you get naked in front of the whole room of people, but it's you're like, just we gotta get this done, like you gotta go.
Speaker 1: You know. I remember thinking before I had children, someone saying like I don't remember what I had said, but saying something like and then so then you just have all those people in the room. And my mom said, oh, yeah, Dangelle, you're not thinking about it when you're getting burn And I was like, oh, I bet I'm gonna think about it. And then guess what I guess you're not about it.
Speaker 3: It's amazing how things certain things take.
Speaker 2: Over and you're like, I don't care, don't get it all of it. Yeah, but yeah, I mean that. I will say it's really fun. The costumes are really fun. But I will warn you you do not dance in your costume right until dress rehearsal.
Speaker 1: Okay, which is the day before the show. No, I mean the day of the show. Oh you don't you for camera blocking, you're not in your wardrobe.
Speaker 2: Uh no, wow, camera block and you're not in your wardrobe. You wear your wardrobe day of the show. At least we did our season day of the show for your dress rehearsal that day.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. And let me tell you.
Speaker 2: It throws things off sometimes because when we did our samba, I was used to.
Speaker 3: Turning with zero weight on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I put a beaded dress on that weighed probably twelve pounds.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: And all of the beating is at the hips.
Speaker 2: So when you're turning now, Kio was like, you got to turn harder, Like you can't, it's not reading. And I'm like I'm trying, you know, like swowing my hips around and yeah, like that's Another thing that you don't think of is all of a sudden, once you have that on things that you may have been.
Speaker 1: Doing in gym clothes.
Speaker 3: Yes, all of a sudden you It just makes it a little bit different.
Speaker 1: So wow, okay, that's really good to think about, Like, yeah, what am I gonna be wearing? How quickly am I? How am I gonna need? Does swing these hips? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How important does picking songs end up being? It's pretty important.
Speaker 2: But they have a lot to say, so, like, okay, they have most of the say is like it'll usually be like, oh, here's whatever, the few songs, the five songs that we like for this particular dance style or whatever, and then they'll kind of choose one and sometimes they'll be like, those are great, we didn't pick any of those. So here's what you're gonna do.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: It's yeah for week one? For you, who did you invite into the audience to watch? Uh? Week one? I believe it was my parents and my kids. Oh I think, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think I'm trying to think of people I invited kind of over time. I know Lori Lachlan came, Candice came, I believe Andrea came.
Speaker 3: And then just like you know, other friends and stuff.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think it was my parents and my kids and the audience theft for that first one that is so cute.
Speaker 1: Uh. Did you have immediate chemistry with Kio or was it something that grew over time? Did it click right away? What was your relationship like with him?
Speaker 2: It clicked right away. We got along so well and we had so much fun.
Speaker 1: And I.
Speaker 2: Was actually really grateful for him as a teacher because he was patient but pushed me, if that makes sense, like he it wasn't. I mean, look, Max and Val are amazing dancers, but the Ukrainian methods of teaching things are strict. Again waits you know you're dancing with a broom handle.
Speaker 1: And you're it's right, it's uh, it's strict.
Speaker 2: It's a lot and uh and and Q I think was able to push me in ways, but also knew when I was like again, having a frustrated moment, and he'd be like, okay, let's you know.
Speaker 1: What, let's say and we would just be stupid and laugh.
Speaker 2: And we had all kinds of little inside jokes and you know, code words and stuff, and you know, when you're dancing out there, doing the show. You're talking to each other the whole time. Yeah, and you know you are just like in it and yeah, you really.
Speaker 3: I mean, you definitely get to know and trust the people that you're out there dancing with.
Speaker 2: And I'd say for women on the show, it's a little bit different because the guys, the male contestants are kind of they have to lead and they don't know how, you know what I mean, So like it's sort of a I think in some ways, being a woman on the show is a little bit easier in that you can kind of fall into the trust of going with your partner a little bit easier, which is kind of one of the keys of ballroom.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting you say that because in all the seasons I've watched, I've always thought, man, the women have it so much harder. It feels like they have to do so many more, like they do somebody or spins and and and I noticed, no matter what my I is watching the woman, I'm just watching, well, I'm just watching her dance.
Speaker 2: That's why we get the fancy costumes and the thing. And it is true, you're as women, you you are expected to do more because the male dancer of in partners just kind of leading and sort of the position there while somebody else. So it is in that regard, like their partner can do a lot of showy things and you're like, I'm not even looking at him.
Speaker 1: You guys agree that dance was amazing, amazing you were there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, it's but also like knowing that you can kind of relax and you don't have to be the yeah, the one to remember every single next step right, they'll put you in right, although I did when we did our season, I did have to dance with another contestant. I danced with Nile de Marco, Yes, which was interesting because he's deaf.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you did have quite a season of fellow competitors, Heraldo Rivera, Marla Maples, Antonio Brown, Misha Barton. Did you did you do any fraternizing with the other kid? Not with those four?
Speaker 2: Okay, An, I mean I feel like the first two were fairly obvious. Yeah, uh no, I mean they were lovely. Everyone was nice.
Speaker 1: No, I would say that people I probably got closest to.
Speaker 2: Janye Morris was on my season from Boys to Men, Yeah, and I spent a lot of time together.
Speaker 1: Who else? Who else?
Speaker 2: Paige Van's aunt. Paige and I spent a lot of time together. Ginger z she was a doll. We kind of always had similar like.
Speaker 1: Rehearsal schedules.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Antonio was like never there. I felt so bad for Sharna, Like really it was kind of it was Antonio was Antonio all over the place and uh yeah.
Speaker 1: He would just leave, like the.
Speaker 2: Car would be there to pick him up and be like three hours later. John was like, guess we're not rehearsing today.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, gosh, yeah, okay, did you have any weird run ins?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, good no, yeah, no.
Speaker 3: Weird run ins.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Everyone, like I said, everyone was excited and like.
Speaker 1: Happy to be there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it was all super supportive and you know, but it was I think the people that go the first few weeks, Yeah, it's you don't. You just don't get as close to them because by the week one and two they're not They're gone.
Speaker 1: Right. So your first dance was to Confidence by Demi Levado. What do you remember from that first night? What were your nerves like?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was terrified, Okay, terrified.
Speaker 1: I actually have a picture.
Speaker 2: Oh I did where did it go?
Speaker 1: Someone stole your photo.
Speaker 2: Someone stole my photo. No, I have a photo of it somewhere, a picture from that first dance. Oh, it's terrifying. And you and and and then you think you did great, and then you get the judges, you know what I mean, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, what was you? Do you remember your first score?
Speaker 3: I remember I don't remember my first score.
Speaker 1: I think it was pretty good.
Speaker 2: It was like sevens, Okay, that's great, sevens six is sevens maybe, But I do remember Carrie Anne uh said something. She was like, your face the whole time you were dancing. I just didn't like you were face so that I.
Speaker 1: Was like, cool things. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: She was like, I just didn't like what was happening on your face. And I was like, it's called concentration.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what that is. Actually, it's funny that you say that, because now it's been one of the things that's been the hardest for me trying to learn. You think that doing what we do, our personalities would come through while we're dancing, But I'm so focused on remembering the steps and the form and everything else that my face is very different.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, or I just kind of like I get like an intense when I'm like doing something and so I'm like and and it was like I looked kind of angry.
Speaker 1: Right, but I was just focused, just focused, I know.
Speaker 3: No, But but yeah, you'll get notes on stuff where you're like really and.
Speaker 2: Then sometimes you'll be like, okay, now I see that, I see that. Yeah, but yeah, it's uh, it's nerve racking. And like I said, those when you get out there and the room start screaming and you hear the announcement of like it's Jody and Keo dancing that, and you're.
Speaker 1: Like, okay, hold on, I don't know anything. I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: And then like you just hear the three clicks and you're like it's time. It's like a roller coaster, like you get you're just going, going up to the top, and then the music starts and you're just kind of going and you go and you're just following along and you're like.
Speaker 3: And there's a sort of a freedom innute because once you.
Speaker 1: Get there, you're like, okay, yes, what am I gonna do?
Speaker 3: What am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like any live show. The terrifying part of stepping off the l edge.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, is actually really cool. Yeah, absolutely, and exactly once you get through that part or in your pants, which is always my like go to feeling like I'm I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna be sud I'm gonna tell you in those outfits.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, great. Okay, So I won't be staying hydrated on the show, is what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Oh no, you will be hydrated, but you'll be sweating so much that you you could drink just a giant arrowhead gallons.
Speaker 1: Of water and it would sweat right out. Okay, when you get a not so great score or a score you're not happy about, how do you maintain a smile because I'm worried they're going to give me a score and I'm gonna think I did much better than that, and then I'm gonna want to be like, hey, you let me tell you something right, Well, that happens the look that does happen.
Speaker 2: I seem to remember somebody on our season being like kind of being like, well, act that you know you you because sometimes they'll pick at something that you're like.
Speaker 3: Well that wasn't I mean, I you know, okay, but like I couldn't fix that, you.
Speaker 1: Know, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I can't fix my face that's just the face I got, Like whatever it is that you're like kind of frustrated by, right, But yeah, it's an exercise in.
Speaker 3: In uh grace.
Speaker 2: To have someone tell you something that you did wrong live on television and just go, yes, that's you're right.
Speaker 1: Yes I saw that too, thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 2: And then you're walking off stage with your partner and you're like, yeah, I can't believe I missed stupid term.
Speaker 3: Yeah all right.
Speaker 1: So then in week three and four you ended up being the last celebrity to be called safe.
Speaker 3: What is tormenting me?
Speaker 1: Does that feel like awful?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: The world awful. It feels awful because.
Speaker 2: Because you know, like there's some people you're like, okay, they're like and not to sound, but there are there's people were like, okay, I know they're probably like that the dance was maybe wasn't greater, you know, Yeah, but then there's some times you're like, I M M, no idea, I am not in the bottom, right, I know, I'm not in the bottom, you know, like rights, it's just a it's a mind game, you know what I mean, It's just sort of a mind game sometimes too.
Speaker 1: They got some.
Speaker 2: Several people have to be in the bottom and somebody's got to go home.
Speaker 1: So they have to scare people occasionally.
Speaker 2: But it's awful because you feel like you've worked so hard and you've done so much, and you're like, oh, well, I guess I guess that's the guess that sucked.
Speaker 1: You know, well, I you had a trajectory that I hope to emulate in the sense that your first week was your lowest score, but by the time you then got to week five, it all had just seemed to click and you never scored under a twenty five again. Yeah, what what do you think happened in those first five weeks that really just catapulted you?
Speaker 2: Well, after that first week, I replaced my face.
Speaker 1: Okay, you put a smile on? I did, Yeah, I put it.
Speaker 3: I just put the smile on.
Speaker 1: I think one nerves.
Speaker 2: But I also think that that first week, everybody kind of scores, you know what I mean, Like they got to give you somewhere to go totally, and that first week isn't great usually, you know what I mean. There's it's you're getting used to it, it's your first live show. By the time you're in a few weeks, you're kind of like Okay, I know the routine, I know what happens. This seems a little more like a normal schedule that I have that I can be accustomed to. But like that first week just feels like you're kind of all over the place, right, Okay.
Speaker 1: So it's then week six and you get injured and rushed to the hospital. Oh what happened? Here? Walk us through the whole injury. Uh.
Speaker 2: This was before I had my big injury where I snapped my ankle on my left side and cash a bunch of pins and a plate and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Still, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: This was prior to that, Okay, which probably made dancing a lot easier.
Speaker 2: Uh, but I definitely like, so we were doing there's things that you do and you're like, I don't know, this feels kind of hard. We were it was the week we were recreating iconic dances, and we were doing Pink's video for Try Okay, which I don't know if you've ever seen the video, It's like she's being thrown on the mattress and dragged, you know, and all this kind of stuff. It's very like intense and physical and very physical because Pink.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly goodness, an absolute athlete. Oh my god. So they're like, you're going to recreate that.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh okay.
Speaker 2: And there was one move that they did where basically it was a counterbalance of myself and Kio. Right, so we're leaning away from each other, but I am supporting our weight. My legs are the ones on the ground and hit and I forget how we were intertwined, but basically I have to keep my hips and my core up or the whole thing collapses down. We had tried it a couple times before cameras got there.
Speaker 1: We had tried it.
Speaker 2: We had tried it, and it was like, I was like, I it's a lot, it's you know, like, yeah, he's a big dude.
Speaker 3: And it was just the like the the balance of it.
Speaker 2: If you if you weren't exactly right, and if I didn't hold that strength, like if everything came crashing down. And that's basically what happened was the original choreographers came to help us with the you know, with our our dance and perfecting stuff and whatever, and they were like, Okay, we want to see you try this, you know, this move. Of course they wanted it on camera, and I was like, this one was hard. Okay, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I guess, and we did it.
Speaker 2: And then I was tired and so my core just kind of collapsed and my ankle rolled and Keio with his tailbone, came down right on top of my ankle bone and just shammed it into.
Speaker 1: The wood floor, wood floor. I was like, up there, we go there.
Speaker 2: It was so painful. It was the side of my foot, like the bones on the side of my foot on the outer edge, uh huh, those little metatarsals and the ankle bone. And I was cra I mean, I was like, oh my god, I it was really really painful, and I was like trying to.
Speaker 1: Put weight on it and it just hurt. And I was like oh.
Speaker 2: And I was so upset because I was like no, no, no, this can't be like, this is not this is not the way I go home like sobbing, crying. They called ambulance because of course, you know, ship you over there and drama, So they shift the ambulance. Keo gets in the ambulance with me. I remember, he's sitting there holding my purse and we're like on our way to the emergency room.
Speaker 3: I call my mom. I'm like, I'm going to the er.
Speaker 1: She's like, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, no, it's just my ankle.
Speaker 1: It's okay.
Speaker 3: Then my gosh.
Speaker 1: We're in the er.
Speaker 2: Keo's there with me, and we're there and they do all these X rays and everything, and they find out it was a like a severe bone bruise. So I like, okay, it bruised the bones on the outside of my foot and the soft tissue, so it was really really tender to the touch, but nothing was broken. I didn't feel great to dance on, but it wasn't I wasn't going to, you know, further aggravate anything. But while we were sitting there waiting for the doctor. I will never forget, that's when the news the Prince died came in and I was sitting in Cedar Sinai and then I started crying all over.
Speaker 3: Again because I love Prince. But I will never forget. I was like, oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That was when I was doing Dancing with the Stars and I hurt myself and I was in the hospital and Ko and I went, oh no, because we had just been talking about some song that yeah, so wow. Yeah, so weird random like things that I remember from.
Speaker 1: That, Yeah, you definitely win. You know, whenever somebody's like, I know you always remember where you were during yeah you have you You're like, yes, I do, I do. Yes.
Speaker 2: And then there was another injury where I thought he broke my nose where we were doing a hold and he had to like drop me really like into a thing really quick and like spin and I hit his face, just punched me right in the nose and I heard a crack and oh no, Like I ran out of the room because I thought it was blood. It was just like snot from getting hit really hard.
Speaker 3: But I was like, oh great, cool broke my nose, like.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, And then you ended up hurting your ankle where it like shattered and you needed a plate and screws or that was a separate injury.
Speaker 2: Oh, that was a separate injury. I was rescuing a one dollar toy for B like the next year sometime, and I went over a small fence and landed on the inside of my left ankle and then the bottom of my foot was pointing sideways.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, okay, yep, yeah, okay, yeah, you know what, It does make sense actually to me that children are how we hurt ourselves?
Speaker 3: Yeah more yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, I'll get it. Totally worth the one dollar toy, yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, anything to avoid the tantrum.
Speaker 2: Like right, I was like, well, I was being a hot shot. I was like, I can hop a fence, you know. I was like, I've hopped fence under way worse conditions than this. Yeah, and then I but apparently I'd never hopped a fence in ugs.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I do not recommend that there is the killer ankle support zero. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So were you at any point in time, I know you mentioned that when you were then let go from the show you then started season three. Was there ever a time where you were shooting season two and doing Dancing with the Stars at the same time. No, okay, because on hiatus, right, I was on hiatus because we had.
Speaker 2: I think that the season before they had asked me to do it, and we were trying to figure out how can I make this work? And my manager, Rachel, who you know, has had several clients on there as dancers and as contestants, and she was just like, I don't know, I don't think you really want to do this? And I was like, yeah, yeah, I really want to do this, and it just full House was like Fuller was like, yeah, no, we can't write this is we love you but no, And so it kind of happened over hiatus. But then, like I said, I got a perfect score all tens on my jove.
Speaker 1: Yeah this is week eight, one week before the semifinals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one week before the semifinals. And and I was eliminated. And literally the next morning was back on the set of Fuller.
Speaker 1: So my gosh, okay, so you score a perfect thirty on your drive and then you also got a twenty nine on your team up tango and yes, somehow you were eliminated. Did you feel like this was coming? This seems like people should have been protesting outside of CBS.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I was super happy to go out, how I did. I loved that jive, it was one of my favorites. Got a great score. I felt like I went out on top. And I was like, and I didn't have to like kill myself to get right to do both jobs, to do both jobs, because I think I would have sucked at both of them, you know, like that would suffer and I wouldn't have been very funny. So yeah, it was probably better that I just tried to do one thing at a time.
Speaker 1: After you were eliminated. Did you watch the Semis and the finals or did did you just need some distance from it?
Speaker 2: I didn't, But I was like I knew all that was going on, you know what I mean, Like I didn't care about watching it on TV. I was like, oh, let me just hear the gossip from everybody. Yeah, you're still in the MA and people on said and contestants, you know, just sending pictures or doing all all this one really well, yeah, no, I wasn't. I I was really sad the night we got eliminated. And I remember, because you get eliminated and then they're like, okay, now go do a press line, and you're like, we did our press line. And then Kio and I went back into the ballroom and it was empty. They cleared everything out for the night, and he and I just went and sat in there for a while and talked, and it was really nice, and it was like a really nice way to feel like, Okay, I gave this floor everything I could. I gave this partner everything I could, and we he went further than he had ever gone in the show. His mom flew in from South Africa to see his dance. He hadn't seen her in like nine years. So yeah, it was really cool and really special and yeah, and I didn't but I didn't. I didn't watch the rest of it after Wow, I saw highlights. But yeah, yeah I have And I have a picture of Key and I sitting on the steps of the ballroom floor like where the band aid stuff is, and somebody took a picture of us from behind just kind of like that is like looking out at the Yeah. Yeah, it was a nice moment to get to say, like, thank you. I'm really glad I got to do this.
Speaker 1: There is one more dance I want to ask you about, because when I first signed onto doing the show, Jensen and I decided to just pick one of our friends who had been on it and just see how they did. And we picked you, and we were like, let's watch one of Jody's dances.
Speaker 2: Which one did you watch?
Speaker 1: Tell me didn't watch the Disney word samba.
Speaker 3: Oh, the samba, Yes, the samba with the dress that weighed so much.
Speaker 1: That's the one that weighed twelve pounds, well, weighed.
Speaker 2: Like twelve out And that was the one that I that I had put on and I was like, Okay, we're hauling ourselves out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I watched that dance and I said, how did she not win? It was spectacular?
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. That one was really great. I loved that dance.
Speaker 2: That dance was amazing, and I think Hailey Herbert and Jenna were I think it was Jenna and Haley were like the other two kind of backup dancers for like the first little moment or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean really incredible. I think you that you scored a twenty one for that dance, and I that's one of those moments where I want to be like, hold on, I'm gonna need you to put the scores down and and rewatch, let's replay play the play the clip and then and then give her a better score, because I literally implored if I was even do it every one of those where I was like, yeah, I won a twenty one, that was not a twenty one. Yeah, definitely not. So I just have to tell you how how incredible I thought, specifically that dance was.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: That one was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that one was really fun and like the costume was amazing. But that was one of those where I was like, oh this is this is the costume challenge where you're like I just figured this out two hours ago and now I have to relearn things.
Speaker 1: Yes, So looking back now, how do you feel about your overall performance? Do you think you exceeded your own expectations? To be honest, I wanted to make it to the end. Okay, you wanted to make it to that.
Speaker 3: You wanted to make it to the end.
Speaker 1: But I was really happy with how I did.
Speaker 2: I had to let go of this idea that everything was going to be perfect and just do my best, you know, right. I mean I think everybody that goes on is like I want to make it to the end. Maybe, I mean, maybe not like Geraldo, but right, I think most people, if you're really serious about it, or you have any kind of dance or you just are loving the show, like I really want to make it to the end. But no, I I was really proud of how hard I worked. I was really proud of what Kio and I did. You know some of the things that we fought for to get for set design and stuff like that. You know, it's you, you are, You have a lot of input. You and your partner have a lot of input and sometimes you got to really fight for what you want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And I was just really proud of of what we did and what we accomplished, and I thought it looked great except for my Disney Week.
Speaker 1: I hated my Disney Week. What was Disney Week?
Speaker 2: What did you do? God?
Speaker 3: This Shakira song from Zouotopia it still gives me nightmares.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh no, it was so Disney Week because like they do a big you know, Disney whatever crossover or did when it was on is it's still on it, It's still on ABC. Yeah. So yeah, they do like a big Disney crossover week or whatever, and they give you Disney songs to do stuff to. And that fricking Zutopia song.
Speaker 1: That Oh that was the week.
Speaker 2: I think it was week three or four, And that was the week that my brain uh less, I had my melt down.
Speaker 3: I could for whatever reason that dance.
Speaker 1: It was that week I was.
Speaker 3: Broke you no, we're not, No, we're not.
Speaker 2: And so I got out there and in the middle of the dance, at one moment, it was like my entire mind just went.
Speaker 3: Wow, blank blank, And.
Speaker 1: I will never forget ko sees the terror in my eyes.
Speaker 2: And I was like, I forgot and he's like, just keep going, just keep going, just give it thing okay, and turn. I turned and then we're like communicating the whole time and he's just telling me step by set because I it was it was like someone snatched.
Speaker 1: My brain out of my body. Can you hear him? Even with the loud music? Can you hear your broth when you're right here? You can he yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're like in each other's here. The only thing you can really hear is them, Okay.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's you.
Speaker 2: Come to rely on them very yeah, because you're like, if all, if I fail, you're the backup engine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, you have to. You're the copalt here.
Speaker 2: You're gonna have to throw me around and jar something loose till I remember where my feet are supposed to be. Yeah, and I and I remember I got I think that was one of our lower ones.
Speaker 1: And uh.
Speaker 2: And of course, when you get a low score on something that you're already kissed about, you know what I mean, You're.
Speaker 1: Like, oh, damn, I know, I know, I know, I know, I don't Yeah, I know, we get it, we get we can just speak through it. Just you know, just just I'm just gonna go backstage.
Speaker 3: That was kind of how that one fell. I was like, I know, you don't need to rub it in that it sucked and I forgot, you know.
Speaker 2: But that was the week that was like the mid because I did I made it to week eight, so that was it was like week three ish for was the midpoint where my body and brain went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you doing? What are you doing ma'am, I'm giving you four weeks of this.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know what to take in any more information.
Speaker 1: We'd Would you do it again if you were given the chance at an All Star season? Absolutely? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm an idiot. Well you know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 1: I'm a glutton for punishment. I am.
Speaker 3: I'm a glutton for punishment. And you know I did so.
Speaker 2: I've done three different like reality show competition ones like that, and it was because they were all three things that I really wanted to learn how to do ballroom dance yep, cook yeah, and push myself physically to the limit like on a survival sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I did that, but.
Speaker 2: I would definitely go back and dance again. It would be interesting to see. I mean, I I feel like I would do Okay, now that it's been long enough from my injury, like that doesn't really interfere anymore. But for a long time it was, you know, I wouldn't have been able to dance in heels or do anything like that.
Speaker 1: That was from the the B injury. From the B.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from the the B injury.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was the It was the small to the fence and the ex which, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Zoe and her dad because they were it was Zoe's soccer tournament that we were at when this all happened. Zoe's dad and her went and retrieved the little toy and put it in a shadow box, oh, framed, and that was like Christmas present, and it's sitting upstairs on my Yeah, oh, to remind you if you remind me. But also don't remember the broken ankle, you know what it was? Uh, that broken ankle led to a lot of reevaluation of a.
Speaker 3: Lot of things.
Speaker 2: So if anything, I look at that little thing as like remember to be still before life forces you to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wow, good lesson to take from that.
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't learned it.
Speaker 2: It's probably still you know, but I look at it and I think about.
Speaker 1: It, right, you think about it, I should do that memory memory there. Do people still talk to you about Dancing with the Stars everywhere you go when the season is on? Oh yeah absolutely.
Speaker 2: Again we're like, I mean I get a lot of people like you and Keio should have gone further, you know, And yeah, there were we had a lot of really great support on our season and a lot of really great fans. And you know, at the end of the day, like there's how well you do, which is its own thing, and then there's the popularity contest of it, all right, and that you can't account for.
Speaker 1: If if it's a sports person that has.
Speaker 2: A bazillion fans, they're gonna get a lot of you know. So there's part of it that you're like, I can't take that. This isn't personal, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like it exactly. There's also the aspect of people who were thinking like, oh, that dance was so good, I bet they don't need the votes, like people thinking like, right, they're safe, they're safe. I'm going to put my vote over here. So yeah, there's so many things you can't account for. Also, you know, they don't tell you what the math is they don't tell you like it's here's how much of it accounts for the judges, and here's how much are the fans. It's based on the week.
Speaker 3: Before your elimination, right right, So so you're not so like I.
Speaker 2: Knew I didn't get eliminated for the perfect score for the job, exactly.
Speaker 3: I got eliminated for the week before, which I was like, oh I could have done that, you know. But that's the thing is you're you're like, oh, I'm gonna get eliminated.
Speaker 1: But I had my best night and I just did. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I just told me like they're a strading part, but also kind of the part where I was like, Okay, good, I got my perfect score and.
Speaker 1: Now I can leave exactly, thank you. I am going out on a high.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that honestly we did. We went out on such a high with that dance. And we had so many we had like people's you know, in like the little choir that we had all the dancers with us, So it was a big number and it was high energy and just it was so much fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I got to wear tennis shoes.
Speaker 1: I think that's why I.
Speaker 3: Did so well, because I didn't have to dance.
Speaker 1: In those stupid heels.
Speaker 2: I had plant refeshion, I had plantifetchitis. By the end I had, my feet were a nightmare. Oh gosh, by from all the dancing and heels.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and how are your feet now? Uh?
Speaker 2: Still a nightmare. I've had a bunyan ectomy on my right foot. I've had yeah's, you know. Take care of your little tootsies.
Speaker 3: I will tell you, voltairean.
Speaker 1: Gel yeah, buy it now, buy it nowel it is.
Speaker 2: It's like an anti inflammatory gel. It used to be prescription only. Now you can get it over the counter at a IT. I would rub that on the bottom of my feet to help the inflammation from my ankles and my feet because you're dancing, as you know, in two to three inch.
Speaker 1: Heels, five hours a day, six days a week.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it becomes a lot.
Speaker 2: O comes a lot on your feet. Okay, Voltaire, I will I'm I'm telling you, I yeah, I should have been sponsored by them when I was.
Speaker 1: You're like, I'm just putting it my whole body, my whole body everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, can I get another? You will also love the spray tanning.
Speaker 1: Oh, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: Every week you get SPRAYTND. But let me tell you there's some interesting things that happen. One is, uh, your body really only holds onto so much spray tan, so by like week three, it's your gross and they will tell you go to the Korean spa, go get everything scrubbed off of you and start over. And you literally like, by week three you gotta just We're like, I need a whole new layer of skin. And with all the physical therapy because you're constantly seeing the physical therapists for like, oh my shoulder hurts, my me this, so you're getting.
Speaker 1: Taped up with all this physiotape.
Speaker 2: Well, the physiotape is sort of that weird like wavy thing and you put it on your shoulder or on your back or wherever. Then when you take it off, some of that spray hand and now you have all of these strange patterns all over your body that you're.
Speaker 3: Just gonna spray over again. Yeah. Like, and you are never your hair, girl, I don't know how, oh no, what what your hair?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that I my one of my best friends, Brooke that you met in San.
Speaker 1: Francisco for the live show. Brooke came to the show.
Speaker 2: One night and he was staying with me, and of course I get home and I'm having.
Speaker 1: To take my hair out.
Speaker 2: There were over eighty bobby pins.
Speaker 1: On my Oh my gosh, because to mention it, not to say.
Speaker 2: Anything of the extensions. So I had all kinds of extensions. Plus for the last group number we did the Beyonce Medley thing, I had a half leg clipped to my hair, plus extensions in the front.
Speaker 3: Like my head.
Speaker 2: Not only did the does a dress weigh twelve pounds? You don't have your hair done and all everywhere until dress rehearsal right, So now all of a sudden, you're like, oh my god, my head, my head weighs as a ton because my hair's piled up and you're sprayed, like I mean, there is nothing moving.
Speaker 3: And I'm just saying that because you got hair.
Speaker 2: Me and my three strands of hair, it was heavy because they had to attach a bunch of stuff. It might be okay for you because there's no room to attach any more hair to your head, but for those of us who are follically challenged, it was a lot of extensions.
Speaker 1: This is good for me to know because I hadn't even thought about, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Your hair will be so dried and crispy and fried from the gel and the heat styling and the hair spray and the bobby pins.
Speaker 3: And the yeah it's yeah, your skin and your hair.
Speaker 2: Basically the outer shell of you when you're done is just you're just gonna want to just scrub it all off, just in an air fryer.
Speaker 3: Internet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just crisp yourself, peel it off, start over.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, this was all very good advice. But as my last question for you, if you could just give me like one piece of advice as I prep for episode one, what do you think is the most important thing specifically for week one?
Speaker 2: I would say the most important thing is oh god, that now to see I've had like three ideas. But I would say have fun, okay, and connect to the audience.
Speaker 1: Both in the room and at.
Speaker 2: Home, okay, because that those are the people that like, you know what I mean. You have to give them an interesting story, give them, you know, you got to give some reality TV.
Speaker 3: Moments that they love, because that's you know, the show.
Speaker 1: But have fun.
Speaker 2: And the more you're having fun, the more the audience at home sees it, more, the judges see it, and also the less you beat yourself up right right, which is and I know you and you're like, it can be you can be like I'm an idiot, yes, yeah, could I screw that up?
Speaker 1: You stupid? Just have fun, And that is the hardest part, is overcoming that when that happens, when you, like you said in your example where you were like that Disney week and you kept wanting to turn it right once, I'm upset with myself and I'm and I'm so else talking in such a negative way to get it, forget it. I'm never I can't I can't learn anything. I can't pay attention to anything. Things I knew for sure I had locked in a second ago. Now I no longer have.
Speaker 2: Well, you will probably also have a tantrum, but I suggest just check the door handle first.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, So it really.
Speaker 3: Ruins the mood when you're like, I'm pissed, door handled, door handled?
Speaker 1: Right, I can't get out of their Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, have fun because it is really fun, Okay, and it's unlike anything you've ever done in your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely, Okay, good, I'm still very excited. I can't believe how nervous I already am leading into week one. But it does make me feel a little better knowing that even you, who it was such a good dancer, is such a good dancer that you were that nervous, Because I'm like, maybe I'm just a dummy for taking this on knowing I have no dance experience, but yeah, even though a dance experience, i'd be this nervous.
Speaker 3: But people your topanga girl.
Speaker 1: People love you. Scott, You're gonna you're you, You and your hair will go far. I just want me and my little Crispy here to go far.
Speaker 2: I said, yeah, that's it, you and your nine thousand Bobby pins.
Speaker 1: But no, it really is.
Speaker 2: It's fun, but it is I think more so. It's not even the dance necessarily. I mean, that's one thing, but it's the live show of it all. Yeah, I mean watching what happens in between commercial breaks or what's going on over here as they're hosting, and there's a set being built and there's like things flying in and it's kind of incredible to watch.
Speaker 1: And be a part of. Like I love live theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a fun you know, So in that regard, it is it's really exciting because you're like, we're we're on the razor's edge of like if something goes wrong, what then?
Speaker 1: Yeah? You know? Oh so great, Jody, thank you so much for agreeing to be my friend for this hour. You're so welcome.
Speaker 3: I'm so glad. I can go back now to not talking to you.
Speaker 1: Your number you can block me again. I love you so much.
Speaker 2: I love you too.
Speaker 1: I really so appreciate you, and thank you for the advice. And will you will you come visit me?
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I was like not to invite myself, but I will watch you.
Speaker 1: I would love to.
Speaker 2: I would love to come sit in the audience and support you and cheer and be screaming for your hair and for you, but no, mostly my hair, but mostly your hair.
Speaker 3: No, I would absolutely be honored to come support you.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you so much. And I will bring I will.
Speaker 2: Bring all of the kushlings I can find. Bring all the cush lings and instead of roses, I'm gonna throw kushlings at you when you do it, when you when you have a great number.
Speaker 1: Perfect yeah, yeah, fact, just aim low. I don't want to get hit in the face with a cushlin.
Speaker 2: No, no, you'll have like four sets of lashes on. We don't want to do that now, you'll just kind of at the you know, at.
Speaker 1: The floor, per your feet, at my feet. I love it. Thank you so much, Jodi. Always always a pleasure to see you. Thank you so good to see you too, Danielle. Thanks bye. Danielle with the Stars Produced and hosted by Danielle Fischell. Executive producers Jensen Carp and Amy Sugarman, Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer, editor and engineer Tara Sudbasch. Theme song by Justin Siegel. Follow us on Instagram at Danielle with Stars and vote for me