Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: And The Savannas this morning speak at Johnson's Uphill Battle.
Speaker 3: Thevik and I talked last night about almost midnight, and he said, look, I get it. He said, we understand you're in an impossible position. Everybody knows that. Remember, guys, we still have just a razor thin margin of Republicans, so any bill has to have Democrat votes. They understand the situation. They said, it's not directed to you, mister speaker, but we don't like this spending. I said, guess what, Fellas, I don't either. We got to get this done because here's the key. By doing this, we are clearing the decks, and we are setting up for Trump to come in browing back with the America First Agenda.
Speaker 2: So here's the light. Say's President elect Donald Trump and Vice President elect jd Event supposing a bipartisan deal to temporarily fund the US government and avoid a shutdown. Right, sing, Republicans must get smart and tough. If Democrats threaten to shut down the government unless we give them everything they want, then call their bluff. Former House Majority Leader Eric Hansich and just now for more, Eric and Mornick Good morning. How difficult is it going to be to change the establishment in Washington.
Speaker 3: D C.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, you're beginning to see I think a taste of what is to come over the next two years, because this is just a real desire to want to you know, sort of clean up shop and to get on with a much cleaner, more focused pro growth agenda in DC. And you know the problem is, even on these spending bills, if Republicans have majorities in both houses, which will be the case in January, you still are relying on Democrats to get things done given the rules in the Senate. And you know when you see the activity online from Elon Musk and then the follow up from President Trump, you know, it makes it really tough. I mean because it's it defies the by partisanship that is needed to get things done.
Speaker 2: But spending taxpayers money shouldn't be easy. It should be tough. And that's the problem that a lot of people have got with this. They'll use technical terms like continuing resolution, this is just business as usual. Then it goes through all the other things that's stuffed into it, and the general public sits there and says, what's this about?
Speaker 4: Right? And I think that's where certainly the objection came from from Elon Musk and others to say, wait a minute, this was a continuing resolution, which is just a stop gap measure. Then let's just get over the hump so the government can continue to operate, but let's not do anything else. And this is the difficulty when you've got a margin the way you do in the House, and speak of Johnson's dealing with you need the Democrats to help you because you are not enjoying unanimity on the part of the Republicans.
Speaker 1: That's the issue that said this was led by Mike Johnson. Mike Johnson started the tip for tap by that ten billion dollar provision for farmers. Look, there's a bigger issue here, which is ultimately some of the bigger conversations about entitlements, about certain healthcare issues, about other big policies people aren't willing to have in an honest way, how much do you think that that ultimately is the questions You've got to kind of gussy everything up with all of these cute little tricks and get something through to just not do anything.
Speaker 4: Well, the discussions that they're having around this Continuing Resolution bill are what's called discretionary funding. It is not what you're saying. The entitlements and now, as you rightly point to, that is the real problem and it's causing disffortunately our deficit and the growing debt. There's no question, but President Trump has said we're not touching that.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: What I hope is with Elon Mosk and Vivek Ramswami overseeing this doge effort, although it's not technically part of government, it can have a lot to do with the actual debate on policy, and I hope they're going to come up with something to define the debate and hopefully it'll be clean up the way that these entitlements work so we can begin to see how we can reform those, because that's going to solve our debt and deficit.
Speaker 1: You're at an amazing vantage point understanding how the sausage is made, having a lot of contacts, and also seeing the business world react and being a part of that. And I'm just wondering how much the official that markets have been rallying on is jeopardized by the dysfunction of trying to fix something that feels very, very broken.
Speaker 4: So what I can tell you at MOLIS We are seeing our clients pick up in a big way, the dialogue, their deals being dusted off, those that have been put on the shelf over the last several years, in fact, turning into we've even seen a pickup in the acceleration, if you will, of completion of deals. And I think it's all about the optimism coming from deregulation, the fact that we're going to have an administration that is not an adversary to a pro growth agenda into business. And I think that just tells you where we've been in this country. You know, we have had and suffered a negative you know, it has been almost a war on a growth agenda over the last four years under Joe Biden. And so I think that's ultimately going to avail over any doubts about whether Washington in the end will get something done, because I still sit here today and say they will get something done to fund the government.
Speaker 2: Compare the mood to that in Europe. How different is it right now? People have fired up about America into next year and beyond, and by people I mean consumers. Confidence is up, businesses confidence is up. Compare that to Europe right now.
Speaker 4: Amazing. And I spent last week, all week in Europe, and it is amazing the difference of being here looking at the optimism, the momentum we've got is reflecting in the valuations of assets here, and you can see the unleashing of not only strategics here, but you know, our sponsor clients, you know, everyone is sort of you can really feel it in Europe. Everybody's looking here. I mean, that's the amazing thing because there is a huge difference in valuation between on assets here versus Europe. And you would think, well, that would push people to go look for bargains over there.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: You've got investors and folks looking here. It's everyone's coming here is striking. And now look their political situation also is now the additional somebling blocked that they've got to deal with, which doesn't bode well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, whatever the find looks like down in Washington, d C. I think it should be very clear on a relative basis, the mess is elsewhere Canada, Germany, France, the list goes on and on and on when it comes to political instability.
Speaker 1: And it's not necessarily because those politicians are that much worse than the US, but it's that the US corporate sector has managed to outperform again and again and innovate, and ultimately that's what it's going to have to come back to.
Speaker 4: I'll always say this though in our country, you look at the size of government as a percentage of GDP, we are much much smaller, even though we as a limited governor conservative. You compare that too through the EU and they're fifty.
Speaker 2: Percent, France pushing sixty. Eric is good to see it, buddy, Great to be all those to you as well. Eric Canter there, the former House Charcy leader