Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by your neighborhood Ford Store Creator, Pittsburgh Community Food Bank, First National Bank. Let's Get Started Member FDIC West Shore Home Remodeling Reimagine by Leecom Digital, Dons Appliances Visit Donsappliances dot Com guaranteed lowest prices, free next day delivery, CGR Wholesale and by Hassa's Steak and Seahouse hass is Is Hospitality.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Steelers Nation, and welcome back to the campus of Saint Vincent College. Here for another day of Steelers training Camp coverage on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and the Gold. We Matt Williamson with you here. Matt on a little bit of a different Saturday on Cape oh Verry nice and aough quiet here at this time. You know, normally there'd still be some some conclusion of different things going out on the fields in front of us due to practice. But if you are on your way to Saint Vincent College now, do not come here you want to go to downtown Latrob Latrob Memorial because tonight is, of course the annual evening practice MATT used to be called Friday Night Lights. Now it's on a Saturday, and that will be tonight at six o'clock.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's a good time. I urge people to check it out. I mean, it can be a mad house. It's a very upbeat, fun situation. You get pretty close to the players that are usually really good about autographs and interacting with the fans. But I think campus is so weird this day too, you know, Like I woke up to the hotel and my first job for SNR was being here with you at three, and we decided would have a quaint little pre show lunch. We did, and we we'll meet you about two fifteen over the cafe here. All right, sounds good. I get there before you, and I'm the only non worker in there, just kind of sitting here. I'm like, am I am I the last guy at the bar, and everyone's.
Speaker 2: Like get this guy out of here.
Speaker 3: And like get out of here. They're flicking the lights. And then you came strolling NFL a little better, and then TJ. Watt came in with another player. So I'm like, well, if TJ's here, they're staying open. But I mean, like the campus is just so different.
Speaker 2: I texted Mat. I was like, I'm walking into the cafeteria now. He was like, I don't think you have any trouble finding right, Like it was the only literally other than the workers, he was the only one in there.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, buffling the floors and like I better get out.
Speaker 2: Of here, like geez, Louise. It's like it's like it felt like the last day when we're when we used to stay at the Combine like a day like everybody else, and they'd be tearing down all the radio row stuff around us while we were doing shows. Yeah, yeah, quiet one. Today, some players did start to trickle into I don't know if you want to call it lunch at about you know, closer to three, when you and I were heading back over here.
Speaker 3: There was nourishment available.
Speaker 2: Yes, which makes sense because I know I think they all slept in a little bit today. I know it was a more of a brunch than a breakfast for the team to make share makes sense. And obviously they have practice at six o'clock, so I'm sure you know a two thirty three o'clock kind of light lunch slash early type dinner for these guys have a little snack before practice, and then of course tonight, I'm sure they feast after They will feast afterwards. Tonight. There'll be all kinds of food around campus, like there're all always is food, trucks, Taco bell, pizza, you name it.
Speaker 3: And what is miss though in the dorms when you came back from Yeah, boy, there is so much pizza and so much taco bell thanks to the Steeler folks that do that. We're not gonna enjoy it this year. But you come home at eleven or midnight, or if you go to a little watering hole before go down the right wing, and it's like here, take thirty tacos because we can't eat them all. It's nuts.
Speaker 2: And then you could almost you could almost double all the amount of people in the dorms and there would probably still be enough food for everyone in there. Yeah, and typically you know, Friday night lights and then a Saturday practice and so we would all be back here. But with the day off tomorrow, unfortunately, Matt and I will not be gorging ourselves with a free taco bell and pizza and stuff. Later this evening we'll be heading home, but we have plenty of ground to get to before we get there. Matt, I, I don't know if you and I have ever really discussed this on air, but I when I have time to kill, like when I'm traveling somewhere, but I'm not in a hurry, a lot of times I like to take a different route. I'm a back roads guy when I can be Okay, that's probably that's probably the best way to put it. So today when I was driving out here, instead of getting on the turnpike, I kind of took the the longer way to get heretra exactly right, like Paul McCartney. It's uh, it's an extra way, extra, you know, fifteen to twenty minutes to get here, but it saves me a few bucks on turnpike tolls. And I wasn't in a hurry anyways. I was a little ahead of schedule, So the way that I took, Actually.
Speaker 3: I would never do that, No, I don't. I don't even know. I had no reason to be here early, but I just got to get there fast possible. See, that's that is bad mentality by me. That is, enjoy life, enjoy the journey.
Speaker 2: But see, I'm most of the time I'm like you.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I have to get from I've been in a car with you. I am shocked hear this.
Speaker 2: But today I left plenty early, like you and I were meeting for a two fifteen lunch. I was like, I've got some time. So I took the roundabout way, save a little money on some turnpike tolls to get here. And the way that I took on ways brought me through Latrobe actually, so I kind of came in through downtown Latrobe on the back side.
Speaker 3: Of camps and yes, oh it's awesome, yeah.
Speaker 2: Very very scenic, very pretty. And so it was a little before two o'clock when I was pulling, you know, probably one fifty ish when I'm humming through Latrobe, and already there's all kinds of people lined up, there's all kinds of oh, and there's already traffic. There's already like police officers on every corner like directing traffic and telling people where to go. And that was four hours before practice.
Speaker 3: It's a long time back. That is a very beautiful scenic route. You know, I often have come from a family camp that we go to. Then I come through all the way through there and there's some beautiful areas. But I see what you're saying. I hadn't thought of that though. I mean, like the whole town is going to be in and parking can Parking can be difficult, folks.
Speaker 2: It's probably difficult now already. Yeah, you know, almost still three hours away here, not surprised. And again it's always a mad house down there when it's on a Friday night. With this being a Saturday, I can only imagine it's gonna be quite the scene there at Latrob Memorial.
Speaker 3: Getting there earlier, there.
Speaker 2: Were already a few dozen cars there lined up ready to go at at two o'clock, you know, about four hours before things get going. Uh, it's always a lot of fun. As Matt mentioned, that's probably about as close as you can get to the guys. Uh. They usually do autograph sessions and fireworks and all that fun kind of stuff with it as well too. So big night down a Latrob Memorial. If you're heading to campus here for practice tonight, do not re route. It's only that don't.
Speaker 3: Come to campus.
Speaker 2: Don't come to campus.
Speaker 3: Someone always does.
Speaker 2: Somebody always I'm sure when we get close at the end of the show, we'll see some people coming up here in campus security turning them around.
Speaker 3: They'll be unhappy.
Speaker 2: They'll be unhappy. The good news for them is it's on. It's only about five minutes down the Yeah, it's not like your way out of your way. But do not come to Saint Vincent College this evening. You're headed to Latrobe Memorial High School or latrob Memorial Stadium. Part of me there at Latrobe High School Stadium because that's where the Saturday Night Lights proceedings will begin at six o'clock. Matt and I have you up until six. We've got plenty to get to Between now and then we will hear from some Steelers coordinators who spoke earlier today. It was kind of coordinator Day, which is always an interesting time because those guys, Yeah, we hear from them regularly enough, but not obviously as.
Speaker 3: Much as kind of special occurrence as you.
Speaker 2: Hear from Mike McCarthy and some of the players. So we'll get to some of that as we roll along. We need to wrap up our exercise last days of comparing last year's roster positioned by position too. Yeah, this year's roster. We still have a offensive line and defensive line to discuss, so plenty of ground to cover. But Matt, some news of the day items here as we get started, and I think two, you know what, actually, before we go across the commonwealth of Philadelphia, let's stay our very own division here where Zay Flowers, who, of course ravens wide receiver, just signed that contract extension a few days ago. Day to day now after a quad contusion in practice, left leg left quad day to day after colliding with a teammate in this morning's practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who's to say, I mean, day to day doesn't sound bad when you're looking at a star player who just signed a new deal like last week. Yeah, like very very recent, just tried. Yeah, I think just dried now it is a new offense. But still Lamar and Zay are gonna probably be fine. I doubt he would have played one snap in the preseason anyway, So I don't think this is, at least according to initial reports that happened today, right, I thought so this morning. I would not overreact to that. I assume they shut him down. He's too important, far and away their top pass catcher.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's I mean, that's kind of what Jesse Minter said, is that he's going to miss a little time here, but we don't think it's going to be anything long term, but certainly something to keep an eye on here from around the league today. Also, Matt, little scuffle between Kirk Cousins and mac Max Crosby. Did you hear about this?
Speaker 3: And I did?
Speaker 2: They both sat out practice today. They benched them both for a day after their scuffle yesterday.
Speaker 3: Tin foil hat if I'm the team that picked first overall last year and a highly respected new guy, Kirk Cousins, been around the league, model citizen. Nothing wrong with this guy, squeaky clean defensive player. You're clearly best player and foundation of that defense since he's been there and not much around him. I would have scripted this fight. I'm serious. I want to I want you know, I want to cause waves between you know, cause commotion and hey go take a shot at Kirk and Kirk Hey be be aware.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's like WWE, but it's not a bad thing. But those when when when I heard it was those two on that team, new coach, they were terrible last new culture new area, right right right. I want my guys fighting for me on both sides of the ball. Like if it had been some backup guard in mac Crosby, I wouldn't even thought twice about it.
Speaker 2: If it's Kirk Cousins, like Cousins fighting any backup linebacker. Yeah right, interesting.
Speaker 3: I bet you Max didn't take him by the face and throw him on the ground and stomp on his neck, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I bet he did not, right, I bet he did not. Though, Yeah, it was a wonder if he told Kirk Cousins you like that, you like that? But I thought that was the notable they had them sit out today. You might be onto something there.
Speaker 3: So it just seems a little fishy.
Speaker 2: Setting a bit of a new culture out there in the desert in Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: Could be good for all. You see those two battling out. I'm gonna battle it out.
Speaker 2: Heck, hey, that's ain't that the truth? If your if your top dogs are uh are putting that much into it, everybody better be putting that much into it, Matt.
Speaker 3: And we don't want Fernando throwing so we'll just.
Speaker 2: Like Kirk, we don't want him taking a taking an unnecessary shot to the face or anything throwing hand. And then Matt I think two pieces of news today just worth mentioning from across the commonwealth in Philadelphia, the first lane Johnson saying that twenty twenty six is probably my last year. So he didn't say definitely, but he said this is probably my last year.
Speaker 3: Certainly not surprising.
Speaker 2: And the Eagles also is Sean Mannion saying today new Eagles offensive coordinator that they will plan to continue to lean into the push push in their new offense.
Speaker 3: Okay, there has been a little bit of speculation if it would be Hurts Stower's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Eli Stowers out of Vanderbilt.
Speaker 3: Has a background playing quarterback. I think Goddard has taken snaps of times before. Yes, Godard, I mean, Hurts is so good at it. I don't know why you change. But there is theories out there that whyever give your quarterback an unnecessary hit or in a big pile and somebody's chewing on his ankle or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, nothing, And I don't know because I didn't obviously hear the full audio. You just see some of the quotes, but I don't see anything about you know, was there a follow up of his Jalen Hurts still going to be primarily the guy in those duties, but basically he said, you know, it's something that we've executed at a high level. It's something that will be part of our our offense here in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: It's been pretty unstoppable for what like five years.
Speaker 2: I mean, in a large part there is not I mean, there's been a couple of individual times where they got stopped, but overall it's not like anyone is nable success right, exactly right, exactly right.
Speaker 3: Especially when Kelsey was there no.
Speaker 2: Doubt, no doubt, one of the one of the better centers of his generation. But that's kind of it. In terms of news of the day today, a little bit of a quieter day obviously today Gold Jacket Day. So congratulations to all those guys that was it that was at noon out in Canton, Drew Brees, Larry Fitzgerald, Adam Vinteri, Luke Keigley and of course Roger Craig, the five that were enshrined this afternoon. Congratulations to those guys. Always always a really cool day there and kind of another one of those it's another one of those benchmarks in the off season. That man, we are really getting close to this thing here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they just inducted them and we have played a football game. It's not the greatest one ever. But this week we have preseason games coming.
Speaker 2: We do, yeah, regulars play and what five days here? Thursday, Thursday against the past at.
Speaker 3: The earliest of any game this week, I think.
Speaker 2: So, I don't know if there's ones on Wednesday or not. That's a that's a good question. Let's see here. No, Thursday, Ursday, Thursday is the first one.
Speaker 3: The start of week one of the preseason.
Speaker 2: It is correct. There's games Thursday, there's games Friday, there's games Saturday. And I think these interesting, even a couple games Sunday.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I've been kind of joking all along. You know, the Hall of Fame games super anti climatic, These aren't. I mean there's a lot of rookies, in particular that you evaluated Eli Stowers from Vanderbilt and like, what's he looked like in the pros? You know, so these are important.
Speaker 2: I think by the time we get to that third preseason game, you're kind of like, oh, kind enough that I've had the first ones. You're absolutely right, We especially.
Speaker 3: For two weeks. I feel like I can't watch enough. Yes, Like even if I'm just sitting home doing nothing, I'll put on the NFL network and they replay the games all day and everything. It's like, I just want to get a little more glimpses of everybody, But you can't do it all.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys that we spend the whole offseason talking about through the you know, the combine and the draft process and all that stuff that you get your first look at in an NFL stadium. And yeah, it gonna be fun on Thursday when we when we finally get some some real tangible action between the Steelers and the Packers. So with that, Matt, I mean, this is a pretty important night tonight because the team is off Tomorrow, Sunday day off, Monday, Tuesday practice, and then that's it before your next preseason game. So you only have three practices here before your first preseason game because the guys will be off Wednesday, obviously game Thursday, they'll be off Friday, and then back to campus for kind of the final stretch of the Saint Vincent College proportion a portion part of me of training camp here. So an important one starting tonight in these kind of last couple of practices to really show something before you got to get out onto the field in the game setting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, if you're a borderline roster guy that the clock is ticking very rapidly. You and I you know, at lunch brought this up too. It's like, we really don't have that many more nights here.
Speaker 2: We don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's to be some back and forth and we're gonna be at Akushore and we're gonna be doing things like that, but we don't have that many more nights here. No.
Speaker 2: I think in fact now, in terms of a number of practices, I think we are now over halfway.
Speaker 3: I think we're definitely over half way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, night will be nine of four fourteen or nine of fifteen, so we're still we're we're definitely.
Speaker 3: It's an even number.
Speaker 2: Definitely over halfway. And and where again it always happens so quickly this time of year, but you're starting to run out of real opportunity to make a name for yourself in these settings. If you're one of these guys who's uh, who's vying for some of those spots at the bottom of.
Speaker 3: The roster, Yeah, you got to hit the ground running if you're those guys and make an impact. And I'm not being critical of the way camp is run nowadays, but I think it's harder now than it was back in the day.
Speaker 2: I would agree.
Speaker 3: By this point in Jalen Warren's rookie career a rookie season, Dale and I were like, he's a teammate or his number thirty, he's been great and backed on backers, How do you keep him off the roster? There aren't those undrafted dudes. Maybe we just missed them. Maybe the staff is like, there's two or three of these quote no name guys that are really good slaughter the corners the guy people have been talking about. Okay, but it's not as glaringly obvious as it used to be.
Speaker 2: Things have changed around here a little bit, Matt Williamson, some some of us are still trying to have a full grasp on all the different movement and shaking here all the grounds. But we are getting closer and closer, I think, to figure in that whole thing out here, and obviously tonight a big step in the process. Hopefully everybody who's maybe you're in the car now getting ready to head down this way. Maybe you're sitting in the car over at Latroe Memorial. Whatever the case may be, hopefully looks like a great weather night and and a lot of fun for the fans and a lot of work to be accomplished by the team. Matt and I have plenty of ground to cover here over the next three hours. We will lead up until six o'clock in the start of Saturday night lights right here on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold. It's all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: Please please live Covery Jump Dot twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp by the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control Making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one twenty three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx, the new Power Move Independence Health System Expert Care here, Remax Select Realty, Visit Remax Select, Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania Visit go Laurel Highlands dot com, the Steelers Pro Shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com, and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here on this Saturday edition of the Drive washuler Matt Williamson, of course, all in anticipation of tonight's Saturday Night lights over at Latrow Memorial, always one of the biggest days of training camp for your Pittsburgh Steelers. Matt, what do you say now? Though? We uh, we transition, we change gears a little bit and hit a little fantasy football focus. See Okay on this Saturday.
Speaker 3: Pretty hard yesterday, but I'm ready to dig in.
Speaker 2: We sure did I think we did like a whole fantasy football hour yesterday. Yeah, we'll just do a segment here today. But uh, Matt, I can never remember if it's Okada I think is how he pronounces his last name. Of NFL dot Com. I'm not sure if you're familiar with him, but he's the fantasy He's one of the fantasy writers for NFL dot Com. He gave fourteen of the best breakout fantasy football candidates in twenty twenty six. Okay, so a few quarterbacks, running backs, few wide receivers, et cetera. And I just want to roll through the sky.
Speaker 3: Think you take a lead this guy.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly right, guys who were as you can imagine, most of the name on this list are like second and third of your guys. But you know who who is maybe undervalued in a little bit in this sense from fantasy football perspective.
Speaker 3: Along these lines, a big topic of conversation in the fantasy community is who's this year's Jackson Smith and the jigbo the very good player, the guy you take in the fifth, sixth round it's a starter, but can become a league winner totally, you know, totally. Or there's guys that are unrosterble last year that all of a sudden you get super late that or every week starters for you. That's how you went.
Speaker 2: That is one hundred how you win. Like I told you, I mean Justin Jefferson was in my big money league with my buddies, the one that I really care about, Justin Jefferson. I got him like fourth or fifth overall, which I was stoked with at the time. He obviously has having by his standards, a very poor year. But I also got Trey McBride way late in the draft. And he had an unbelievable year, So those things kind of balanced each other out a little bit.
Speaker 3: And frankly, there's not a lot of skill to drafting in the first two rounds. I mean, anyone that really doesn't know anything's working off a list. Whether I wrote the list or you wrote the list, it's still you're gonna take basically the same.
Speaker 2: People, Yes, albeit maybe just in a little bit of a different order.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So two quarterbacks listed as Fantasy football breakout candidates for this season, Matt, I think I like one of these and I don't know how I feel about the other. Let's start with the one. I'm not sure about Jackson Dart although.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's better for fantasy than the real world.
Speaker 2: And that's something I always have to remind myself when we have these conversations.
Speaker 3: Runs a ton. I don't know if Harbaugh will be his you know, last year's head coach was basically trying to save his job and the offense is falling apart, and he's calling a lot of design quarterback runs and it wasn't real smart, you know. I mean, in terms of big picture for the Giants, I would think Harbaugh with much more job security calls, fewer runs, but the lines better looks like neighbors is healthy. By all accounts. I think he's a fine Fantasy's player, and I understand it. I don't love the player overall, but it's not like he's gonna get bench this year either. If he's not the long term answer, so what, he'll be fine. I think he also durability worries.
Speaker 2: Durability is worrisome, but he's got a better supporting cast around him, or real least should this year. That is an interesting angle, though. Will Harbaugh run him as much? Probably not, But you know, I mean, even if he's still I guess similarly close, he could still.
Speaker 3: Do things on his own. One note, though that works in darts favor is at quarterback in a traditional like one quarterback league, I'm not real worried about their ability. I can always find if my guy gets.
Speaker 2: Hurt in week four, here's Trevor Lawrence out here.
Speaker 3: Somebody or I can make a deal with it. You know, they're not that hard to acquire. Somebody that can keep me alive.
Speaker 2: Tell you what, though, it is while twelve starts last year, Matt he had almost five hundred rush yards for eighty seven and nine touchdowns rushing in twelve and twelve starts.
Speaker 3: I mean, even if he has had in seventeen games, that's a massive fantasy commodity.
Speaker 2: If he does that again, he could end up being one of the top.
Speaker 3: He could be a top three or four.
Speaker 2: Here, four or five fantasy football quarterback.
Speaker 3: Never underestimate rushing for quarterbacks. It's a cheeka.
Speaker 2: The second the other and the second quarterback on this list is cam Ward.
Speaker 3: Yes, but he's still a long way from being fantasy relevant, Like, is he really even a top twenty four guy? I love him, you know, I think if he told me the Steelers first round pick could turn into cam Ward next year, sign me up. I think he's gonna be really good. Might have the worst oh Lion league, still have subpar weapons, doesn't run like you think he does, though, even though he's a pretty athletic dude. I probably could come up with twenty quarterbacks. I'm still drafting ahead of him, you know, Like, do you take him or Stroud? I mean, like Stroud's a much better player and more established, but they're both a long way from being. Like we were talking about Schuck yesterday, he makes more sense to me than Ward, even though I think Ward is a better.
Speaker 2: Prospect fantasy football versus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, They're two different worlds.
Speaker 2: The one thing that they outline here about cam Ward is that after his Week ten bye week last season, he threw ten touchdown passes just one interception, nearly doubled his Fantasy football points per pass attempt down the stretch.
Speaker 3: That's a great point. I didn't realize it was that strong. I do. You got better as the season went on despite having a horrible situation. I mean, the old line was crumbling, there was no one to throw to. Those things are a little better now, but I mean, imagine being the first overall pick and your head coach gets fired in like October. I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh man, that's a rough.
Speaker 3: That's tough sledding, and he did recover and put up numbers.
Speaker 2: Four running backs listed here, Matt the first, Quinn Shawn Jenkins of the Cleveland Browns earned ninety three point three percent of his rushing yards after contact last season.
Speaker 3: That's funny he went down there. I was about to say the same thing, more.
Speaker 2: Or less, the highest of anyone in the top fifty of rushing attempts.
Speaker 3: Like if you look at I don't think offensive line stats are a real thing. You know, pressures and all you know, but they are at least a guideline. They're not cutting dry like catches and yards or blah blah blah. But if you look at the Browns run game last year, yards before first contact a distant last it was not good. And they and they threw away their whole line h.
Speaker 2: Four new O line starters this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I love this player. I think Judkins is really good.
Speaker 2: And they're young, but some more viable wide receivers ye to take some attention away too.
Speaker 3: The problem with the Browns though, or Judkins, to me, is all that change isn't necessarily good. It's probably better than last year, but I always be careful to say that things can always.
Speaker 2: Get could always get worse, or they can at least take a good amount of time to get.
Speaker 3: Better or a tiny step better and go from thirty second to thirtieth. And that's still not where I want to be in terms of churning out touchdowns and first downs and those type of things. But they pulled Judkins off the field a lot in passing situations, and if they're losing in the fourth quarter, he might just sit there with holding his helmet on the sideline. You know, it gets frustrating.
Speaker 2: Another one second one on this list, Matt is A is a one of those, as you would have kind of just described a few minutes ago, almost out of nowhere type guys. Jonathan Brooks running back of the Carolina Panthers. He has just twelve career touches for forty five yards and has yet to score his first NFL touchdown at this point, but apparently they've been raving about him in camp. Yes, and obviously there's a lot of room for growth in that Carolina backfield.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And I mean he was the first draft back drafted several years ago out of Texas. He was kind of overshadowed by Bejean for a while and then he stepped up and had a huge role there. Unbelievable injury history, but he looks like he's over it, or at least has been totally cleared. Having a great camp. I mean that's come from multiple sorts as national people, local people, and I like Chewba Hubbard, but he's not the hardest guy to go past, you know, I mean, on their best day, Brooks is the more talented player, so he's a target of mine too, because you can get him late enough, like, oh, you.
Speaker 2: Can get him real late.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, He's an interesting one to keep an eye on. Write that down class at home. Third one maybe a similar type conversation. Jordan Mason is his third running back listed here.
Speaker 3: I think it has a chance to be a very good offense. He's a Viking by the way, folks. Aaron Jones is up in age.
Speaker 2: But turns thirty two this season.
Speaker 3: He also never seems to die either. I mean he's still hanging around in effect that he used to be productive. And they drafted this kid, Clayborne out of wake Forest who it is a smaller scat back type that can fly. But his reports have been really good. I get it, though. I would think Mason's going to be the short yardage guy, be your touchdown getter. It's fine. I just don't think he's a real high ceiling I would rather roll the dice on backs like Jonathan Brooks that might hit big, hit big Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: This next guy, Matt the last one running trying to.
Speaker 3: Come in second here. I should have said that when we start talking fantasy regularly. Like I'm trying to build a team, not to like get in the playoffs. I'm trying to win the league by far and embarrass my friends.
Speaker 2: You're not trying to hit doubles into the gap. You're trying to smack grand slams out of the park.
Speaker 3: Every pick needs to be swing for the fences because I need four or five of them to hit.
Speaker 2: Last running back listed here Matt and he might be the most boom or bust Fantasy football candidate this season. It's Cam Scataboo old Johnny Knox Bell himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he puts up numbers when he's out there. He's not for me, but he catches the ball more than you think they are gonna They have a better row line there. They're trotting out Patrick Ricard and know it's gonna be a bunch of big people. But his injuries hurt you more than darts, you know, Like if you only get five games out of him and you use the fourth round pick and in your league for him, because he's not super cheap, I don't know. I mean, he's a little bit of a shy away.
Speaker 2: He scares me, he does. And he's another one that could absolutely hit massive, but he could he could play four games and be out for the rest of the season. Those would be running backs on the Fantasy Football Breakout Candidates list, Matt Now. Wide receivers first up on the list here. This is actually a name I think we discussed maybe a week or so ago. It's Parker Washington of the Jags.
Speaker 3: Yeah. He's just a really good football player, and he's gonna get extended here soon. I would imagine people be like, Wow, that much money for Parker Washington. Yeah, he's checked every box, good after the catch, kind of a Golden Tate type of power, shorter slot guy, really good with the ball in his hands. I think he's a real good player. It's just we mentioned this yesterday with Jacksonville wide receiver.
Speaker 2: Because some people are saying to stay away crowdide receivers. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I like the player. I wish he was a Steeler. It'd be like a great number three here, But I just don't know where the ball's going in Jacksonville. I probably staying away from all Jag receivers.
Speaker 2: Second wide receiver Listen is a name that we just discussed from the AFC North Zay Flowers. Yeah, fine and everything.
Speaker 3: For him to make a leap and really fit the title of this article, he needs to go from like four touchdowns to ten because he still gets the ball, it's just he didn't. He's not getting in the end zone a lot.
Speaker 2: One of the stats that you liked, Zay Flowers ranked third in yards per route run among players with three hundred plus routes last year, only behind JSN and Puka Nakula.
Speaker 3: And I think there's some misconception that he's just a little gadgety type dude. He runs the big boy routes. He does in breakers, he runs deep outs, deep ends. I mean, so he's a pretty developed player.
Speaker 2: He's just smaller third wide receiver listed here heading into his sophomore season fresh off the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year tet McMillan.
Speaker 3: Yes, and what I really like about him, and I hope the Brasle injury doesn't get in the way of this is they're gonna move him around a lot more. He was just like the big outside X running you know, outside the number of stuff, and then they got Brazzle to be that tall take the top off dude. But now he's out. But I assume the offense will all go through McMillan in more of a Ceedee Lamb type of way. And he's really good. He's he's exceptional.
Speaker 2: He gonna has a chance to be special certainly. Number three, maybe not maybe not quite to the Jamar Chase type tier, but I think he could be in that, in that next uh, that next grouping firmly by the end of this season. Number three, Matt a guy who's gonna have more opportunity because Michael Pittman Junior is no longer in Indianapolis. It's Josh Downs.
Speaker 3: I love Josh Downs.
Speaker 2: T You've been talking him up since last year.
Speaker 3: Him and Jaden Reid are two guys that are smaller that have been slot only or slot mostly than now. Some of the guys have kind of gotten either way. However, Josh Downs is like one hundred and seventy pounds. I mean, there just aren't many one hundred and sub one point eighty wide receivers in this league. They're consistently putting up points week after week for you. But I love the player. I think he might start to get over valued.
Speaker 2: Here's an interesting one, Matt. It is Michael Wilson Cardinals wide receiver.
Speaker 3: That's a tough one for me.
Speaker 2: Just because of like, he had a really good back half of the season, phenomenal and you know, some some speculation around Marvin Harrison Junior's future and just not another a lot of other than Trey McBride kind of pass catchers in that offense. But that's a volatile situation.
Speaker 3: Fattal situation because their passing pie was so large last year. They threw all the time, partially because they were losing, and that might keep up too, but it was almost an unsustainable amount of pass attempts. And Wilson really came on when Harrison was out. McBride was great top to bottom. I have no worries about McBride, but I wonder is that Wilson or Harrison and can they coexist? And I also think Love's going to catch some balls.
Speaker 2: He better better? Right, you drafted draft drafted that highly? You better? And then Matt last one on this list, sorry, two tight ends here to round out this list. The first and there's a lot of giants on this list. Isaiah likely maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe, I mean I think they went out of their way to get him to feature him. He's a dark friendly guy. Obviously the Ravens connection with Harbaugh, I'm fine with it. I don't know that he'd be my starter. Like if I was waiting on tight end, I might take likely and another one quickly after and kind of platoon hum until see who emerged.
Speaker 2: Then the last one, Matt is Chiggy Oconquo of the Commanders.
Speaker 3: I really liked him as a super late like last pick in the draft type of guy, especially before the step one Diggs situation.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, because.
Speaker 3: Now I think he was. He went from two on the pecking order to three, which still makes him relevant, and he is a pass catcher. He's not a bad late flyer though. That gave him decent money.
Speaker 2: That is a good point though, because a few days ago he was probably their number two, number two, number two target, and three is still good.
Speaker 3: It's so fine for a tight end two.
Speaker 2: You could see some real value there if you.
Speaker 3: Can find tight ends that you're pretty confident or the two I mean there's like Bowers is the one that's rare. Of course, you're usually not going to be unsatisfied.
Speaker 2: With that little fantasy football focus for you all on this Saturday. As we get closer and closer to draft season, we'll round out the first hour of the show when we return. Reminder, it's been a little bit of a tradition here throughout camp. We'll start the five o'clock hour, the Bonus hour with your tweets, your questions, your comments, concerns and reactions. So get those in now if you want to get involved with the show. Wesheeler, Matt Williamson. It's the Drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steel Mine Melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shot visitshop Dot's Stealers dot Com.
Speaker 2: Coming down the home stretch here of the first hour of the drive, as we have some some.
Speaker 3: Groundwork being done and I don't know this technique.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, this is a new piece of equipment, new piece of machinery that we have busted out here on this Saturday.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's an aer rator?
Speaker 2: That's what I'm thinking, Okay, And it almost looks like the you know the things that pull out the the little plugs on your lawn and drive you and your buddy's crazy when you're a kid. And I do think that that is a that is an errator there right now.
Speaker 3: I think they're just doing that really rough beat up brown spot right between the hashes.
Speaker 2: Field still looks really good in front of us, but between the hashes there are some beat up brown spots, as Matt mentioned, particularly between the thirty yard lines to the center of the field.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just on one side, but yes, the other side, the little but it's like.
Speaker 2: The thirty to the fifty yard line there. That must have been where the big boys we're doing some hamhocking.
Speaker 3: I'm wondering if that's where they usually kick field goals. That way too, I bet you that's part of that's part of the definitely, yeah, definitely, Matt.
Speaker 2: We have an exercise to wrap up that we started at the beginning of camp. That was a pretty simple one, just picking a position group or two and going through the steeler man. That machine is moving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is a lot going on there, right.
Speaker 2: A position group and comparing where they're at this year to where they were at, you know, three hundred and sixty five ish days ago last year. Yep, we still have to do the offensive line and the defensive line. Let's take a look at the offensive line here, Matt. We'll start on the offensive side of the football. A lot of familiar names still, but certainly there's been some change.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Last year in twenty twenty five, it was Broderick, Sayamalu, Frasier, Mason McCormick, and Troy Faltanu from left to right.
Speaker 3: That was our starters at this point of the season.
Speaker 2: That was your starters at this point in the season. You had Spencer Anderson, You had Calvin Anderson as as depth pieces there as well as Dylan Cook. So that was the twenty twenty five group. This year obviously similar names, but in different order left to right now Troy Falton, Who, Mason McCormick, Zach Fraser, Spencer Anderson, Dylan Cook, Maxie Honatcher, brock Hoffman, Jennings, Dunker, Broderick Jones.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't think it's close.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's close.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean so if you kind of go through it super quick, my opinion of Fraser or McCormick certainly hasn't dropped. I mean, at a minimum, it's the same. I mean, at the worst, if you're trying to fight for last year's group, it's like, well, they're the equals. Well, I probably even like them more now.
Speaker 2: In last year's group too, we had barely seen anything at Troy Faltone at that point.
Speaker 3: That's what say. He was much more of an unknown, and you're much more confident or happy where he is in his career too, so that he blows the doors off his former self. Broderick, Unfortunately, you have to think less of Yes, I mean you have to, Yes, you have to, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: But he might be the only one that's kind of done the arrow down thing with the rest.
Speaker 3: Are I mean, Spencer is an arrow up Dylan Cook's an arrow. Dylan Cook's a monster arrow up, no question on those guys. See them all as a good player. And Arizona I think he's a really nice signing for them on a rebuilding team. You hope you can replicate that from the guard not named McCormick. That's really the only place you can stand that one of the guard spots might not be as good. Okay, yeah, that's fine, And see them all as a good player, very useful around here. But then you add two draft picks to the mix. I mean, it's really the only camp of note that Omar has been in charge of that you can't have the rookie optimism last year. I mean, so I don't think it's close.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 3: And then you throw a Hoffman in there for fine.
Speaker 2: I think particularly when you consider the depth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because last four tackles.
Speaker 2: Last year there was a lot of unknown with the depth and there were questions about Progerick on the left side, and yeah, questions about Faltanu is he was kind of still very wet behind the ears. This year, I think you're right, four of the five starters you have to feel better about, or at least still good about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, at least, but I think I would say about.
Speaker 2: Four feel much better about the depth. I mean, Matt, you could if you had to, you know, break glass in case of emergency, worst case scenario, you could start a game with Roger Jones, Jennings Dunker, Ryan McCollum, Brock Hoffman and Maxie Honachor. I mean your second team offensive line. Those five there might.
Speaker 3: Be not a bad player. By the way, he never gets brought up.
Speaker 2: He's limited in the sense that he only plays center. It really hurts you, but you know, and so ideally at that position, you like to have someone like a Hoffman who's more versatile, but just for a backup center and a vacuum. He's he's more than fine, he's more than adequate.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's better than like J. C. Hassenhower was, you know, and some of the guys that were center only backups over the years.
Speaker 2: I think that that second unit for the Steelers. Heck, there might even be a couple of teams in the NFL that would trade their their starting five for that second five for the Steelers.
Speaker 3: I'm not quite there yet.
Speaker 2: But we need to see, we need to see more from Max and Dunker.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, I hear what you're saying. It's a really a lot of riches that are all playable. They are all NFL players. So people might be like, well, why does it hurt to be center only? Because on game day only one guy can get hurt for you to get in the game. You know, like, that's unless you're one of the best thirty two centers walking the planet and all you can do is center. You bet, Yeah, that's that's really rough. I'm sure some really really good center only zone over the years have kind of gotten washed away because they're five eleven six foot or whatever. No one ever thought they could play guard, but they weren't the best center on their team. It's like, what value to me you have on game day?
Speaker 2: So you want the brock Hoffmans who can play all interior spots, the Nate herbigs who could play alls.
Speaker 3: We always talk about BJ Finney and those type of dudes too. I mean, you must be great, but you have to play all three because even you know, even if the death star was really thin, if you lose a guard, you're not putting McCallum in and moving Fraser to guard. Ever, No, that's just not right.
Speaker 2: That ain't happening. No defensive line, Matt. Let's take a look at this this year as opposed to last year. So last year's defensive front you had Derek Harmon, Keanu Benton, Cam Hayward, hy A Black, Logan Lee, Isaiah Loudermilk, Dean Lowry, Daniel Kualley to Marvin lel is that the right I think that's the right nine to mention there of guys who were involved on that. I'm talking true defensive lineman right right, right now, not edge rushers. This year you have Derek Harmon, why A Black, Cam Hayward, Keanu Benton, you add Sebastian Joseph Day, you add Gabriel Rubio, Logan Lee still around as Z's AUTUMNWAYO is here. And I think those are probably the eight guys there that deserve a mention at this point.
Speaker 3: I think it's better now, but I think guys like Lowry and Lee probably his book has been written. And I thought the same thing a year ago about louder Milk. Its like, I've seen you for three years and you never broke out, and you were never horrible, but you're always a borderline roster guy and kind of a roster clogger. I know he's a year older, so we should say we feel slightly worse about Cam. He's coming off an awesome video, I mean, right, I mean.
Speaker 2: Even if we're just plateauing, I think we're still in.
Speaker 3: The exactly it's a great plateau. So that's probably a wash. You got to think about though, when you have a first round pick, you know, like put your mind around like a haunted chore. Now you're super excited about Benton or Harmon Harmon, And I wouldn't say he disappointed, but it wasn't like that. It's that box that that that box of the unknown, you know, like, boy, he may be Aaron Donald and we don't know it. You know, like you have a little bit of unrealistic optimism around a first round pick. And by no means I think he's disappointing, and he actually having a very good camp. I used to podcast this morning about how good he and Black have been of just shutting down the Steelers run game. Black is definitely more valuable.
Speaker 2: His arrows straight up, Ben and I don't know what.
Speaker 3: To do with because there's a little position change there. So I have a lot more optimism because I don't want him on the nose at all. No, I still think he has a lot of value, and I wouldn't be shocked if he gets signed in the next two or three days. Even you know that, I think they like him, and so I think he's equal. Just Sebastian and Joseph Day by himself is enough for me to say I like this year better. If he's your fourth or fifth guy off the bench, that's way better than it's been in a long time for that for a fourth or fifth guy.
Speaker 2: I think in terms of your sixth and seventh guys, the arrow is probably pointing down. I think in terms of your top guys, Cam Heyward kind of his own unique case, the arrow is pointing up. Sebastian. Joseph Day is a real he's a legit, he's a he's a real he's a real kind of change change up in this in this group compared to last year. But I regardless, and even if your point is as well, like even if you have to factor in some decline for Cam Hayward, which hey, let's see it before. So but at this point in his career, you know, at some point it's gotta happen like father Tomas, Yeah, undefeated? Why a black arrow up? Hopefully? I think you're right. You make a good point about Derek Harmon, that we were all very excited for him last year, whereas now it's a little bit more of a wait and see approach. We know he can play, but how good can he be?
Speaker 3: Like next year, we might be like, boy, Ohannacher had a really good rookie year, but remember how unbelievably excited we were, which is probably not fair. But that's thirty two first round picks around the league.
Speaker 2: Right, that box of unknowns. Like you say, there, I do.
Speaker 3: So there's been a couple of people that have really gone another way to mention on a way though they think he's a keeper, he's making this team, that he has talent, that they might have found a sort of diamond in the rough, like not a diamond, but a yeah, some just cheaper gemstone in the rus, a cheaper gem stone, right right, that he paid nothing for.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's gonna have an opportunity, I think.
Speaker 3: Because I don't know if like Lee and Lowry are making this team if you only keep seven, I.
Speaker 2: Was just gonna say Rmon's making the team. Why he's making the team. Cam Hayward's making the team. Fashion, Joseph Day, Keanu Benton.
Speaker 3: That's five, that's five guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Gabriel Rubio, I mean he's round pick, he's probably making it. That would be six, could be your seven, right right right, that's that would make some sense to me. That's starting to come together.
Speaker 3: There because those two guys on the way you and Rubio, I don't think their books written. They may never turn into starters, but they won't be that louder Milk guy described. I think Lee's quickly becoming that where it's like.
Speaker 2: You just someone who's just taking up a scholarship.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, Like we can trot you out there for ten snaps, but you'll probably never be more than that, and you're just an ending eater that you know, the other team says, thanks for putting out there.
Speaker 2: Is that the Dan mccullor's memorial scholarship there.
Speaker 3: He got He got too many more, He got more years than he should.
Speaker 2: He was he was on scholarship for a while. That big guy.
Speaker 3: One out of ten plays looked really good.
Speaker 2: One out of ten. That's like me on the golf course. Matt Williams and one out of ten swich, dang that kid could be on the corn ferry tour. And then Banks spray one right into the woods baby, and start over hour of the books. Two hours to go, we'll hear a little bit from offensive coordinator Brian Angelico, and yeah, in the four o'clock hour, keep those tweets rolling in. We've got a lot of ground to cover. West Jeweler Matt Williamson. It's the Drive Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.