Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you Should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh and there's Chuck. It's just two of us, and that's great because I'll be playing the role of Billy Junie Kink and Chuck's going to play the role of male show Bennis Pig Bobby and produce. Oh man, take it, Chuck. Hey.
Speaker 3: Before we get going on this one, I have a quick shout out and this is coming out a couple of days after I did this because we're cutting it so close because of our week off last week. But that makes me happy because I was asked a friend of mine's son. His name is Royce. He is a student, a junior at Midtown High School here in Atlanta, and he has a teacher, Miss Smolcoe, who is a long time Stuff you Should Know listener. And when Royce told Miss smokeol like, Hey, I know that guy. We're buddies. We got hogs games together, kind of flipped out and was like, oh my god, I wonder if, like, would he be interested in helping us out with our podcast program?
Speaker 2: Oh cool?
Speaker 3: And they set it up via email and I spent yesterday which was in our World Monday at Midtown High School addressing the junior class about two hundred kids, and I gotta say, man, it was an incredible experience. The students were into it. They were engaged, they had great questions, they had great answers, they were you know, a lot of it was sharing, you know, what they're doing with this podcast project, which is based off of like stuff you should know style stuff, which was super cool, like these real philosophical questions that they're digging into and taking opposite sides and debating, and they were seeking advice and it was just it was an incredible experience. And I just I left like on a real high about gen Z and like where our future is headed. And it was just awesome.
Speaker 2: Great. So the broad strokes are gen Z got Chuck high yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they got me super high. It was really cool. They were all just amazing kids, and miss Smolco is wonderful. And the other teacher, I think his name was Alex, I can't remember his last name, but he was super nice. And they're just like, hats off to these teachers. What's going on in the at least at Midtown High School is amazing, And I just left feeling great. That was awesome.
Speaker 2: I think Royce is getting in a.
Speaker 3: You know, Royce wasn't even there. He's does like a late arrival thing because of like work study or something, and so I was like, dude. I text him, was like where were you? And he explained the whole deal like that he's not even allowed in school till later. So it was just one of those things. But everyone was super nice and it was just it was was so cool to see how into it everybody was.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Well way you go, Chuck, Oh, and real quick, there were a couple of students I won't name them. I have permission to name Royce because he's a pal, but there were two legitimate, big time stuff you should know listeners in the junior class that came up after and said hello, and they were both like really really.
Speaker 2: Nice, awesome shout out Thing one and thing two.
Speaker 3: That's right, way to.
Speaker 2: Go, Chuck. You were basically a teacher for that moment.
Speaker 3: I kind of felt that way. Maybe one day when I retire, I'll just like go and teach for real.
Speaker 2: I'll let you borrow my tweet jacket with the swedelboat watches.
Speaker 3: That don't be dumb jacket. Wow, that's a big deal.
Speaker 2: You have to overlook all the stains on it, all. Right, So we are talking about the Battle of the sexes today, which I guess. I mean, this is a tough act to follow after your story.
Speaker 3: Frankly, No, this is a great fun sort of pop culture history story and sports story. There was a movie about it just a handful of years ago, starring Steve Carell as Bobby Riggs and Emma Stone as Bill King, where they portrayed the very famous tennis match between a male chauveness pig and aging over the hill hustler tennis star that you know, basically came out and said, you know what, men are better at women than everything, and an old me can beat a young champion and Billy Jean King, and let's do it on national TV at the Houston Astrodome in front of a ton of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what happened the end, that's right. So this was a really big deal. I mean it sounds like just kind of light hearted, maybe a bit of a joke. This actually still happens today, their battle of the sexist tennis matches. Yeah, this was the first one and it was a very big deal for everyone involved. On the one hand, you have Bobby Riggs, like you said, over the hill. He was fifty five and he was trying to right, he was trying to fi two weeks he was, Oh, that's right, the IDEs of March are coming up.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, yeah, so over the hill, I get it, okay.
Speaker 2: Yes, although fifty five in nineteen seventy three was a lot different than fifty five now right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't look like Bobby Riggs.
Speaker 2: But he was over the hill, not just necessarily because of his age. He just been so far out of tennis for so long. He was an attention hound and he wanted to get back in the spotlight. So for him this was a gambit. It was a lot of work to do it, but it was something he was trying to do. On the other side was Billy Jing King, who he took this very seriously because to her this was symbolic of women's rights, which she was a tireless fighter for, not just before this but after for essentially your whole life still today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's great. Love Billy Jing King.
Speaker 2: She's a hero.
Speaker 3: Bobby Riggs. We'll talk about him in depth We're not going to make excuses for the guy. But I will say Billy Jinking remained very good friends with him and never came out and said like you know, I mean, when they were going at it, she was kind of playing him up as a male Chownes pig, which he was, but she would end up saying like Bobby Riggs was a man of his time and sort of a victim of being a man of his time, so she kind of went easy on him. I'm not sure I'm going to go so easy on him.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw, I saw in places that there's it's questionable whether he actually like even believed most of the stuff he was saying that all again, all this was a gambit. He figured out a really good way to yeah, get media attention was to just be like the most loudmouthed Chauvenes's pig, just saying the most offensive stuff and becoming loathsome to women. That this would this would just generate more buzz and more hype for what he was trying to do, which I mean, just doing that is a jerk move, but it's it's it's not set in stone that he was someone who actually harbored these feelings personally, So you got to bear that in mind while we're telling this, because a lot of people realized that, like anti feminists, a lot of men don't realize it, and a lot of feminists don't realize it. They took it everything he was doing very seriously, but like you said, Billy Jing King didn't, which is a huge signal right there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just hit this just hit my brain. If I'm going to go hard on Bobby Rigs, then I also need to do the same to Andy Kaufman and his whole wrestling stick, which I think is one of the great funny kind of comedy bits. But it was kind of the same thing, like playing a role to get women riled up to get attention.
Speaker 2: Well, really, if we learned anything from this battle of the sexist tennis matches, if you're gonna go hard on Bobby Riggs, you need to go hard on Billy Jing King.
Speaker 3: Right. Should we go back to the early seventies and set the stage, Yes, all right. Early nineteen seventies was it was a pretty volatile time. It was a big time for women to are kind of standing up for real and saying like, hey, we want attention. We want rights. We want the same rights as men.
Speaker 2: Roe v.
Speaker 3: Wade was decided in seventy three. The Equal Rights Amendment was all over the news, and the case of sports, certainly nineteen seventy two with Title nine of the Education Amendments Act that required schools to offer girls and women the opportunities to basically get equal funding and participate equally in athletics as boys and men. So it was a It was a big time for women's advocacy and feminism and women's rights between like nineteen and you know, certainly before that, but definitely between nineteen seventy and like nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just as an aside, we did, if I may say so, a pretty good episode on the Equal Rights Amendment in twenty twenty one called why is the Era still not ratified?
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is true.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, yeah, it was a big time. There was a lot of momentum for women's lib feminism. It was also a big time for tennis, which was becoming really, really popular, especially in the United States. The number of Americans who played tennis tripled from nineteen seventy to nineteen seventy four. And one of the reasons why is because the tennis world started holding opens. I never knew this before, but the US opened the Australian Open. The reason they're called opens because they're open to all players. You can be an amateur, you can be a pro, and you can compete in this These tournaments an open tournament that was brand new. I think Wimbledon was the first one to start it, I think in nineteen sixty eight. So a lot of really freaky, exciting stuff's going on in the.
Speaker 3: World, that's right. Billy Jean King was and we should also point out that, you know, as far as wage disparity, in nineteen sixty eight, if you were a professional tennis player, you earned two to three times as much as a woman. And when the sport grew, that gap actually grew, it didn't get more narrow, which was pretty startling at the time. But Billy Jean King was born in nineteen forty three, and by the time this event rolled around, she was huge. She had won ten Grand Slam titles by seventy three. She was a number one ranked tennis player six different times in nineteen seventy or by nineteen seventy three was the nineteen seventy two Sports Illustrated Sportsperson of the Year, and like you said, was a real feminist activist kind of from the jump. I think there was a story from when she was a kid, when she was eleven or twelve, a junior player, she was not allowed to be in a photo like a tournament photo because she wasn't wearing the tennis skirt. She was wearing shorts, and they said, you can't be in this picture. And immediately little twelve year old Billy Jean King was like, what the hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she was like, these are sports. They said, that doesn't.
Speaker 3: Count, right, that's not a thing yet.
Speaker 2: So yeah. And one thing about Billy Jean King from a bunch of stuff I read and saw about hers, that like she's she was tireless and still it. She's a tireless activist for women's rights, like she did ever slow down. And when you kind of learn about all the side stuff she did to promote women in tennis and women's rights in general, Like on top of that, bear in mind she's one of the top tennis players in the world by dominating in tennis, so that takes a lot of practice, a lot of dedication, and she's doing all this other stuff at the same time. So she's like basically the definition of tireless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she was doing this in the nineteen sixties because all those accomplishments I mentioned was by seventy three. But in nineteen sixty six she was the number one women's tennis player in the world and she was making one hundred dollars a week as a playground instructor at Los Angeles State College. So the money the athletes were making was not anything like it is today, and it was way, way worse for women. I think first Open you mentioned at Wimbledon in sixty eight, she won that tournament and won seven hundred and fifty pounds. Rod Labor, the men's champion, won two thousand pounds, and she was like in sixty eight, she was like, this is totally unfair. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and money comes up a lot. It was. The reason why is it's an easy shorthand to basically point out women's lesser treatment compared to men. It's also something that most people can just kind of wrap their minds around, like, yeah, seven hundred and fifty pounds is a lot less than two thousand pounds, but they're both the champions. That doesn't make any sense. So money is a big focus throughout this, but it's not just because everybody wants money, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally. So in nineteen seventy, Billy Jean King was like, we need to do something sort of official and sort of big here. So she looked to a woman named Gladys Heldman, who was the founder of World Tennis magazine. She was a very big prominent figure. You're in the tennis world overall, obviously because of World Tennis, and also because she was at the time the mother of a very high ranked player named Julie Heldman. That was her daughter. So she was a good person to go to. And they said, here's what we can do to make a splash. There's a tennis tournament coming up called the Pacific Southwest Open in LA where they're paying The prize purse for the men's champion is twelve five hundred, the purse for the women's champion is fifteen hundred dollars, which I mean, looking back at the Wimbledon disparity, that wasn't too bad compared to this. Yeah, and this was even after that, and they said, why don't we boycott this tournament? And Gladys Heldman said, you know what, why don't we start our own tournament that competes with this tournament, And everyone went ooh, this sounds exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so yeah, that was a huge step beyond what they were originally thinking of. And so the US Tennis Association at the time they were called the US Lawn Tennis Association also to They were like, hey, go ahead and try that, but we are going to suspend you. We might ban you from tournament tournament play, We're going to erase your rankings, like it's going to be a bad jam if you guys go off and form your own tournament. And that it took a lot of bravery because not all women tennis players signed on for this. In fact, only nine, including Billy Jeane King, said you know what, we're going to go do this anyway, and so they signed contracts with Heldman, and so they became pros on this other tour, which protected them from getting punished on the USLTA tour, and they started their own championship, which eventually was I think supported and sponsored by Virginia Slims Cigarettes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, and we should mention that contract was for a dollar each so they they clearly were doing this to make a statement and not to make a ton of money, right, But Philip Morris, Yeah, they stepped in because they there was a recent federal ban on advertising on TV and radio for cigarettes, and so they said, we got to get our name out there somewhere. So let's call this the you know, we've got these Virginia Slims with its quasi feminist message. You've come a long way, baby. That was our ad slogan for a long.
Speaker 2: Time, long time.
Speaker 3: And tennis, you know, the Original Nine is what they were called, those tennis players that went along or the eight that went along with Billy jen King and said they're like, yeah, I mean, we're athletes. It's a little weird to have a cigarette sponsor, but we need a sponsor, so we'll take it. And that tournament went over really well, and it was so successful that they said, hey, why don't we start our own circuit, and they had the Virginia Slim Circuit. There were eight more tournaments that they sponsored and the original nine. You know, they initially did follow through with their threat to like ban them. The USLTA, Yeah, the USLTA at the time, but they said, oh, actually they're doing so well over there, We're in trouble now, so we need to join forces. And they gave up and they merged with the Virginia Slim Events.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm not usually one to defend tobacco producers, but I saw a PBS I think American Master's clip that was interviewing some of the original nine and they were like, Virginia Slims showed up, like they knew how to market, they knew how to get buzz. They put a ton of money behind advertising and like they this was not like a just a whatever thing to them. They were actually a really great sponsor for this. So yeah, they yes, these nine women, and I think eventually more joined. They were like, if you won't include us, we're just gonna go create our own thing. Like they worked at it like that and it actually paid off in aces.
Speaker 3: Yeah for sure. Hey you want to take.
Speaker 2: A break, Hey, yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll be back right after this. All right, So where we left off, the original nine went off and formed their own Virginia Slim circuit. They were, you know, endangered the USLTA such that they partnered with them eventually, but money started flowing in a little bit. Nineteen seventy one, Billy Jean King was the first female athlete of any sport at all to make more than one hundred thousand dollars, a lot of money, and nineteen seventy one dollars still a lot less than her peers on the male side of the equation. And so she was still, you know, banging that drum. She wasn't like, all right, our work is done. And in nineteen seventy three, before Wimbledon that year, she got together in London where Wimledon is in a hotel room with sixty three I guess it was probably a large meeting room, Yeah, sixty three other women tennis players, and they said, all right, we're doing this today. We're going to form the WTA, the Women's Tennis Association. We're gonna have an actual union in place where we can, you know, do what unions do and stick up for ourselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, they threatened to boycott, like pretty much immediately after they formed the WTA. They said that they were going to boycott the US Open if we don't get equal prize money for women and men. And I believe that was successful. They got the US Open to agree and it was this is like things are moving along for women's equality in tennis at this time. Right, So it's a huge focus of conversation with tennis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was all over the media everywhere you looked. It was about sort of equal pay, equal rights. And that was in the regular world, and all of a sudden it was now like in the sports world in a big way.
Speaker 2: Well, put.
Speaker 3: So now we can talk a little bit about our our I'm gonna put it in scare quotes, our villain, mister Bobby Riggs, who was I'll tell you what man I mean, if you it is very Andy kaufmanesque. If you watch interviews with this guy. If he's nothing, he is entertaining.
Speaker 2: For sure. He was a true great tennis player at one time, shortly after World War Two. I think he was the number one men's player in nineteen forty six and nineteen forty seven, and not just from like December to January like both of those years.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So he had, you know, the goods to back up like this. It wasn't just some dude who had a tennis racket. But after the late forties, he essentially like left the tour and he started hustling and taking bets from essentially anybody who who would play him in tennis pool. I think you saw a sixty minutes clip where he was gambling on throwing cards into a waste basket, like he would bet on anything. There was a quote on that sixty minutes clip where he said he likes to play for big money. If he can't play for big money, he'll play for small money. If I can't play for small money, I won't get out of bed that day. Like that's just what that guy did. He gambled, he hustled. Andy was known as a loud mouth too, but he also seems to be fairly loved. Essentially, he was like one of those people that you just kind of you couldn't help, but like even though yeah he was allowed mouth and trying to get you to bet some money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a troll. Livia called him a pre internet troll, and that's exactly what he was. It seemed like a bit of an act and a bit of a stick to get attention. Like we said, but he would say things, you know, a woman's place is in the kitchen, in the bedroom, and not necessarily in that order. Or women played twenty five percent as good as men, so they should get twenty five percent of the money men get. I was reading I think it was a oh was it Esquire or something, an article about him, and the whole idea of playing Billy Jean King was birth when I think a reporter was just talking to him about you know, can men beat women? Or who could beat Billy Jean King and tennis and he said, I think any guy in the top one hundred could beat Billy Jean King. And he went, in fact, I think I could beat her. And that's sort of when he seemed to hatch this idea for publicity and money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was like, oh, but there's good.
Speaker 3: Action there, Yeah, totally he so.
Speaker 2: Yes, so like he said these things. Actually at least one of those quotes is from one of his autobiographies. Yeah, so, like he wrote the stuff down. This wasn't just stuff he started saying. When he decided to play Billy Jean King. He was already known as a male chauvinist. But yes, he was an attention hound and this was again a way that he figured out how to do this. So he started publicly challenging Billy Jane King. He's like in his mid fifties. She's in her late twenties prime, and she's like, now that's okay, I'm too busy. And again, remember like she was genuinely tireless organizing the Virginia Slim Circuit and like creating the Women's Tennis Association, all the while winning all of these championships in Grand slams. So she had a legitimate excuse like I'm too busy. The thing is, there was also like a case you could make that she saw very clearly like I don't know if I have that much to gain by playing this, and I have a lot to lose for the women's movement. I could easily set it back if I lose. So there was she had good reason to kind of avoid this as long as she could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of a lose lose proposition for her. If she beats him, everyone's like, well, of course she beat this old man, right, and that's how he probably would have played it up as well. We'll see what happened. But and if she loses that, of course, like looks terrible to be beaten by the old man. So she was wise to avoid it, I think. But there was another woman In fact, she was the I think she was the number one player in the world women's player in nineteen seventy three named Margaret Court and Ozzy and she was like she wasn't super active in the politics of women's sports, and she was like, yeah, sure, I'll play him. She stepped right up and in May of nineteen seventy three, this was in San Diego or outside San Diego. They played a three set match where ten thousand dollars and about ten million people a lot of put people tuned into the first one on CBS. Thirty five hundred people were there live and he beat her. He beat her six two six' one by PLAYING i want to say a certain, thing BUT i. Can't he was playing like a. Punk oh, Yeah he's playing junk shots and like drop, shots and he wasn't playing like sort of real. Tennis he was playing sort of joke. Tennis and when you're playing against a player that can hit, aggressive strong shots and you're just plunking him over the, net like it's gonna you can't play tennis that way if you're a real, player and it threw her off her. Game she got in his. HEAD i think the moment was a little too big for. HER i don't think she realized how much attention there was going to, be and she ended up getting beat pretty.
Speaker 2: Badly, yeah he got in her, head, Right. Yeah so, yes it's called The Mother's day massacre because it was held On Mother's, day AND i mean it was really. Bad but there's a point THAT i want you to hang on to for. Later as much of a punk as he, played he didn't play actual serious. Tennis he's playing joky tennis to. Win he took that match very. Seriously he trained for months ahead of. Time he was playing or training like ten to twelve hours a day every. Day he really, trained and by the time he was by the time the game came, around he knew he was going to Beat Margaret. Court so just keep that in mind how hard he trained for.
Speaker 3: That. Okay, Yeah and also we should point out like at the very beginning of that, match to open it, up he presented her with a bouquet of roses and she curtsied back to, him And Billy Jin king is watching this just like you, know furious, inside like she's, like, oh he's, Playing and she in fact said later that she played right into his. Hands there AND i would have grabbed him and kissed. Him if he gets, DIRTY i can get tough. Too so she hated the fact That Margaret court went out there and sort of curtsied to him and took the roses and then lost on NATIONAL, TV i guess INTERNATIONAL. Tv and so she was, like all, right you know What i'm gonna do. It i'm gonna step up And i'm gonna Play Bobby. Riggs it's my.
Speaker 2: Turn, yeah so she agreed to do this and it became immediately, BUZZWORTHY i guess is what you would call it if you're into that kind of.
Speaker 3: Thing that's. Right the liver versus the lobber is how they dubbed.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, so LIKE i, said it's immediately generating. Buzz Bobby riggs starts giving television interviews to any camera that will stand still long, enough and he's a magnet for that kind of stuff because again he's a loud. Mouth he's saying horrible things about. Women he's accepting like the male chauvinus pig, moniker like With pride or. Whatever, yeah and he's just like one of, those like he would talk a mile a. Minute he had so much, energy he was just a little a little kind of squirrely, guy kind.
Speaker 3: Of, like, Yeah Richard.
Speaker 2: Simmons did you ever See Richard simmons when he would go On? Letterman oh, yeah, Okay so it's great the way That letterman kind of Regarded Richard simmons, affectionately but also like this guy's he's moving around a. Lot. Yeah he was like, that but amped up on like speed. Essentially so he was a magnet for cameras and he was giving interviews all over the.
Speaker 3: Place, yeah and he was also you, know he's adding hype for the event obviously by saying things, like you, know she's a, woman they don't have the emotional, stability she'll. Choke he added more. Stakes he said that he would jump from The London bridge And arizona or The Pasadena bridge if he. Lost and you, know he was all over the. Place he was on the cover Of time magazine that year In. September it was a caricature of him wearing a male chaubeness badge and then there was a picture of a pig and a banner that said The Happy. Hustler so it was all working exactly as he. Planned But Billy Jean, king like if he took that first match. Seriously he didn't take this one as, seriously And billy Jen king was really taking it.
Speaker 2: Seriously, Yeah i'm not sure if he was just you, know resting on his laurels because of how badly he Beat Margaret court that he just assumed that that was going to translate into Playing Billy Jean. King but he did not train nearly as much as he did For billy For Margaret. Court, essentially he was out partying in the lead up to all of. This he was also really really getting more and more offensive as things went.
Speaker 3: On, Right, oh you're gonna leave this one for.
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: Yeah one of the things he did was he showed up to practice one day with the cameras there with holes cut out in his shirt so his nipples could, show and he said That Billy Jean king would look better in. This and she came out in public and she was, like this guy is a, creep which, was you, know about as tough as you could be in language back. Then, Yeah and he was publicly.
Speaker 2: And it was at a press conference with them, together and he, said, well you should take that back and she, said, nope creep Stands and she said LATER i saw in an interview she said, that, like she didn't take him, seriously but she knew that there were men out there that took him seriously and that he had crossed the, line and she needed to make sure that that was. Demonstrated that she was not okay with that.
Speaker 3: One, YEAH i think she kind of played it all just. Right it was really pretty savvy stuff on ther, end for.
Speaker 2: Sure SO i, say we take is this our second? Break?
Speaker 3: Yeah second?
Speaker 2: Break all, Right so the gun is going to go off when we come, back.
Speaker 1: Stop.
Speaker 2: OFF i wonder how many people are, like what is he talking about when he keeps saying the gun is going to go? Off Whenever act three comes, Around, WELL i would, say study your checkof, friend.
Speaker 3: That's, right and not your checkoff. Friend your checkoff come a, friend.
Speaker 2: Right not the friend that you're, LIKE i gotta hang out with him and then you do you real. Quick you check him off your to do. List not that.
Speaker 3: Guy, yeah we all have checkof.
Speaker 2: Friends, Yeah i'm Sure i'm a lot of people's check Off.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no. No all, Right so where are we are we? At match? Time, basically which was turned into a complete circus by the, Way.
Speaker 2: Yes this Is september, twentieth nineteen seventy. Three is that The Houston. Astrodome, man thirty thousand people showed up in person to see. THIS i saw all over the, place Including, britannica that ninety million people watched it around the. World that's.
Speaker 3: YEAH i Think olivia had fifty million. People BUT i watched an interview with her WITH i mean serious journalist it. Was it Was Kathy lee And hoda and they said ninety, million and they were just drunk on white wine at nine in the morning or, Whatever SO i trust.
Speaker 2: Them, man that was a weird, time wasn't it?
Speaker 3: That it was a very weird. TIME i did want to point out THAT i looked. UP i was, like, well how many people see a tennis tournament at like The Grandes stage And Center court At wimbledon is about fifteen thousand, People so this was double.
Speaker 2: That. Wow. Yeah plus it was in the beautiful New, astrodome so.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah so.
Speaker 2: Great so the odds were very much in favor On Bobby. Riggs the odds were six to one That riggs would. Win and this was like the whole thing was kind of presented in the media as like The battle of the sexiest, thing the man versus, woman and every juvenile joke or you, know quip or whatever you could make out of. That that is how the whole thing was being. Promoted that's how it was being played up in the. Media it was not like this is a very serious thing that they set women's women's rights back or move them. Forward then of that was was in. There it was all just this almost tongue in cheek approach to. It and that's how the whole, thing if you were a, viewer that's what you were kind of.
Speaker 3: Shown, yeah for, Sure and that's a good thing to point. Out there Was hollywood was. Involved there were a lot of actors and singers and stuff that were in a celebrity tournament. Beforehand they were really milking. It they when they came in The university Of houston band performed the Song, conquest which is an a them from the nineteen forty seven Movie captain From. Castile that's When Bobby riggs came. In they Played Helen REDDY'S I Am. Woman When Billy Jean king came, In lyvia pointed out That John, Wayne Bill cosby AND Oj simpson were in, attendance AND i had probably thirteen different comments or jokes written out for, that But i'm just going to let that trio stand without comment.
Speaker 2: Dans on its.
Speaker 3: Own, YEAH i think.
Speaker 2: So SO abc made a fat one point two million dollars off of ads for this. Match, Yeah astrodome got about half that and people paying admission. Price. Yeah and the so with The Margaret Court Mother's Day massacre game that was played under women's, rules in that there were three. Sets that's how women's tennis matches are played three. Sets men's tennis matches are played five. Sets Billy Jean king was, like, no we're going to play five sets best of five, essentially so there were, five which was. Smart, yeah, yeah for. Sure She. Yes another thing that you'll see that's happened recently is sometimes so a woman's court might be smaller than the man's, court which makes it harder for the man to land a ball in.
Speaker 3: Bounds like in A battle of the sexist.
Speaker 2: Match, yes thank, you there was nothing like. That this was like a men's match That Billy Jean king was playing. Against Bobby.
Speaker 3: Riggs oh, yeah well she was, LIKE i got this fifty five year old, guy like he wants the three set match so we're going to go five Because i'm in great, shape. Right Bobby riggs enters on a carriage pulled by women that are outfitted As bobby's bosom. Buddies how Did Billy Jing king come?
Speaker 2: In she came in on basically a platform carried by men in TOGAS i also saw As, egyptians Like egyptian. Servants they were shirtless, essentially and they were brawny. Dudes so like mostly not her, idea but she was going along with, it, right, yeah she. Was, Yeah well you were saying that she was taking it, seriously and she, was but she was also like willing to play along with this, Too like she wasn't just some like stick in the, mud you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 2: So just very. Appropriately Bobby riggs was sponsored by Sugar daddy, candy, right and he Presented Billy Jean king with a two foot long Sugar. Daddy remember Those they would just pull the fillings right out of your head, Totally and So king was, like, OH i have a gift for you. Too it was a piglet that she Named Bobby riggs because he was a Male chauvenu's pig and don't worry about the. Pig she coordinated with the Promoter Jerry, perenchio very legendary, promoter that the pig would not be eaten or, harmed it would go to live on a farm, afterward and it.
Speaker 3: Did that says everything you need to know About Billy Jean. Kings, yeah, yeah she thought of everything she.
Speaker 2: Did she she crossed her t's and. Died oinks that's.
Speaker 3: Right so of course it's nineteen seventy, three so you want to get the best in the business at the time to do the play by, Play so they got none other Than Howard. Cosell, initially they had a tennis promoter and anti feminist Named Jack kramer who was going to Do they're going to do sort of a he Versus she, commentary and he was going to be on, rigside and one of the original Nine Rosie cassol's was going to be On billy Jan king. Side But, kramer and this also speaks To Billy Jing, king he was one of the guys behind that original tournament that they protested and wouldn't play in The Pacific Southwest open where they, said oh, yeah well we're going to ban you. Then so she was, like, hey this is all fun and games and, everything but if that jerk is, Involved i'm not even going to do. This so they Pulled kramer off the off the.
Speaker 2: Broadcast, yeah and they didn't Have Rosie kassall speak To And i'm really glad they didn't do. That THAT'S i, mean it's a gimmick and it's, understandable but it would have made the whole thing. Suck they brought In Gene, scott who was the publisher Of Tennis, week and he just gave commentary like it was a regular tennis, match which is kind of what he wanted in this. One. Agreed, SO i, mean Imagine Dennis miller And Dennis miller calling a tennis. Match you don't want? That, yeah, WELL i mean think about. It whose idea was it to put him On monday night? Football on the one, hand it's. Brilliant on the other it's like, What, yeah that was. Weird but it was it lasted for years, Too it's not like it was a couple of.
Speaker 3: Games, yeah, no HE i think it was a full, season wasn't.
Speaker 2: IT i think it was more than, that that was?
Speaker 3: It, Yea, yeah that was.
Speaker 2: Weird, Yeah so the game is on essentially that's that's the point we've reached. Here that's.
Speaker 3: Right So Bobby riggs takes a three two lead in the first, set and later On Billy Jean king would, say, LIKE i was in. TROUBLE i KNEW i was making some. MISTAKES i was in my head a little, bit AND i knew THAT i could not give this first set. Away, basically like he needed to get that set for his psychological, standing and so that first set was so so important for, her so she knew that she had to win. It she was down three to, two and she came back and beat him and won that first set six to, four which was a huge blow to his.
Speaker 2: Psyche, yeah she said that she could tell that that had gotten to him when they switched. Sides so she also changed her playing. Style, normally she would be like she'd want to win the point as quickly and efficiently as. Possible, instead she started drawing volleys out and basically put the ball in one corner and then put the ball in the other. Corner so she had this old man running back and forth chasing down these balls to purposefully tire them. OUT i, mean that's just so cool that people are capable of doing. That you, know, LIKE i want the ball to go ry, here So i'm going to go right there with this, racket even though the ball's coming at me at seventy miles an.
Speaker 3: Hour, yeah for. Sure so she wore him. Out by the, end he was talking about hand. Cramps the levity had kind of lessened, because like you, said this fifty five year old was an old old, man.
Speaker 2: Right so remember we were so, old, right not fifty four fifty?
Speaker 3: Five, Okay, OKAY i got a couple more.
Speaker 2: Weeks So Billy Jing king, won and she won like, convincingly sixty four sixty, three sixty, three so remember best out of. Five she beat him in three straight. Sets, yeah and she got her one hundred thousand check from no less Than George, foreman WHO i read had hoped to Use Bobby riggs the pig to demonstrate his new type of indoor, grill but was disappointed that he wasn't allowed. To oh, No and so this was it was just an immediate. Splash remember this is a media. Spectacle everybody knows about. This ninety million people are, watching so the media just got right in on it again to let everybody. Know Billy Jean king won and let's celebrate her as a pro tennis. Player and that's.
Speaker 3: It that's. RIGHT i think we Know josh's coy voice by. Now that's not at all how it was. Reported of, course they kept reporting it sort of in the lowest common denominator. Way THE ap said that, screaming delirious women's livers lit up more brightly than the rocket shooting astrodome. Scoreboard even my Beloved New York times Said king, collapsed tears in her eyes and her husband's, arms adding, later all of a, sudden she was a, champion a, woman and a little girl all at the same.
Speaker 2: Time that one brings like my eyes water from that.
Speaker 3: One, yeah that's.
Speaker 2: Tough that's so much worse than the astrodome, scoreboard, RIGHT i, mean neither one are. Great, yeah that one is just like they meant. That they were trying to like really be poignant, there and it's just, like good, God.
Speaker 3: Yeah they missed the.
Speaker 2: Mark the thing About Bobby riggs is he wasn't, like, well you, know she obviously is some freak woman who who beat. Me that's the only woman who could. Be he did the. Opposite he accepted the defeat with dignity And. Grace, yeah he saw that.
Speaker 3: Coming he had a.
Speaker 2: Thing where he hopped over the net win or lose after the end of every, match and he. Did he hopped right over the net and went up to her and he said confidentially to her that he underestimated. Her, Yeah and then in the press conference he went on to basically say the same, thing like she beat him very.
Speaker 3: Clearly, yeah he said she was too strong for. Me there have since been rumors that he threw the match as a gambler with six to one odds, against that he threw the match and bet against. Himself there was a report IN i think twenty THIRTEEN espn dug into that and that there were like mafia figures he was working with to rig the. Odds we'll never know the, Truth But Bobby riggs said he didn't throw. It Billy Jean king said THAT i don't think he threw. It like she could tell what was going on emotionally on that court and could tell that he wanted to win and that he was. Losing you, know he might have prepared like he should. Have AND i guess we'll never know the. Truth but my money's on she beat.
Speaker 2: Him, yeah my Two but there's that rumor does have, legs like he did hang out with mob, guys he was a huge. Gambler the idea was that he was indebted to the, mob like one hundred grand for in gambling debts and they would wipe it clean if he threw, this and that he was also betting on, himself and his son, said it's. POSSIBLE i don't really think that's, true but it's, possible although his best friend is, LIKE i won't even entertain that that's, Possible like he just didn't do. That, yeah but one of the things that people point to is he was making some terrible mistakes during the, Game so either she got in his head and he was rattled or he was throwing. It it just seems like the general consensus is that now he it seems pretty fringe that to genuinely leave that he threw the.
Speaker 3: Match, YEAH i. Agree WHICH i saw bits of that. MOVIE i never saw the whole. Thing the casting was, incredible Like Steve carell And Emma stone were kind of. PERFECT i don't think the movie was reviewed like super, favorably but it looked. Okay it's supposedly very true to. Life, actually, yeah, Yeah Billy Jen. King at least you Told hoda And Kathy lee that it was pretty true to. Life she said. That she said they got the essence of. It she, said it's a, movie of, course but they nailed the.
Speaker 2: Essence, man have you Seen? Bogogonia oh, boy, yeah that is one of my new favorite. Movies that is so. GOOD i did not LIKE i can never remember his, name what is?
Speaker 3: It i'm glad you watched. That Oh Jesse.
Speaker 2: Plemons, no, no, no the?
Speaker 3: Director oh oh oh? Uh Yugust. Lanthemos thank.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't That let me try saying it, Too Yorgus. LANTHEMOS i don't Think i've ever tried it Because i've always been, Like i'm gonna screw this.
Speaker 3: Up WELL i might have screwed it, up but that's WHAT i don't.
Speaker 2: Think SO i think you got it. ANYWAY i did not Like Poor, things AND i was, like, OH i don't, know BECAUSE i liked everything leading up to, that but not. This and THEN i saw. This i'm, like he's.
Speaker 3: Back, yeah it's a. GREAT i told. YOU i texted you to see kinds Of kindness. Too have you seen that?
Speaker 2: ONE i still have not. Know i've been watching just tons of riff.
Speaker 3: Tracks, yeah it's hard to get out of the cycle what you get in? Sure all, Right so back to this after the back to The battle of The. Sexes after, this he wanted to kind of keep the media spotlight on, him so he tried to jump off The London bridge In, arizona but the sheriff there so, like he can't do, That so he had his picture taken on the, lake blow it and a. Raft Billy Jean king went on to just keep Being Billy Jean. King in nineteen seventy, four she founded The Women's Sports, foundation which is a nonprofit for women's and girls and. Athletics and she would end up sort of very publicly coming out of the closet after being married for a long time to a, guy not The Larry, king but Her Larry king in nineteen eighty, one her longtime manager and, Assistant Marilyn. Barnett it was very sad what. Happened she filed a lawsuit against her which revealed their affair that they had from seventy two to seventy nine because she had fallen from a balcony Of Billy Jing's Billy Jing king's house In malibu and lost the use of her legs and said, that, Hey Billy Jing king promised to give me that house and support me. Financially so she took her to court and it got really.
Speaker 2: Messy, YEAH i. Saw so the fall from the house In, MALIBU i saw was an attempted, suicide and that she Had Marilyn barnett had Blackmailed Larry king And Billy Jing king before the, lawsuit basically said, hey if you don't want this to come, out let's settle BEFORE i actually go public with. It they. Didn't she went public with, it and, then to her great, credit after being outed in nineteen eighty what eighty one eighty, One Billy Jing kink, said you know, what we'd never promised The malibu, house but, Yes i'm. Gay larry AND i have an open marriage and we're actually going to stay together for the time. Being and they stayed together until nineteen eighty, seven and they divorced Because Billy Jean king fell For Elana, kloss a fellow tennis, player and they ended up getting married in twenty. Eighteen so this is. Enormous she was. Outed she hadn't outed. Herself her choice to do so was, removed but she stood behind. It she didn't deny, it she didn't deny who she. Was she, said, Yep i'm. Gay.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was pretty. Great as far as equality and pay and pro, sports that's obviously still a. Thing it was two thousand and seven when all The Grand slams agreed to pay women equally in, tennis and they still don't and some of the other big, EVENTS i think just a couple of years, ago the twenty twenty Four Canadian, open it was a five point nine million dollar pool for the men in two point million dollar pool for. Women and if you, know if you come back with an argument of, like, yeah well the you, know the men's events are they get more viewers and more advertising because they're in those better time, slots then you kind of just said it. Yourself it's a lot of it has to do with the fact that they're in those better time slots and they tend to schedule the women's events in lesser time, slots and so they don't get as much. Advertising they don't, have you, know a great maternity leave and professional tennis for, Women so it's you, know there's still battles to be. Fought But billy Jing king is still out there fighting them.
Speaker 2: One last little, Thing. Chuck that always it struck. Me before he died in nineteen ninety, FIVE i think like the night before he, Died billy Jing king Visited Bobby riggs to say.
Speaker 3: Goodbye, yeah it's pretty. Great they had a, lifelong you, know tie in. Friendship so that's.
Speaker 2: It that's the battle of the. Sexist it.
Speaker 3: Was it was.
Speaker 2: Great how about? That, YEAH i feel LIKE i feel Like Tim robbins In, anchorman remember The he's, like you know we HAVE pbs are really done with women's. Lip.
Speaker 3: Yeah Also Steve carrell was in.
Speaker 2: That, yeah he loves. Lamp he loves. Lamp Since chuck said he loves, LAMP i tricked him into. It he just unlocked a listener.
Speaker 3: Mail, yeah this is a listener mail Where i'm going to apologize To epha From ireland because apparently we have here and there dabbled In irish erasure in our, show which is something that is a total accident and something That i'm going to be more aware of moving. Forward and here's the. Email hi, guys longtime listener, Here i'm so sad to hear Two irish erasure moments in one, episode in The Third Man syndrome, episode you use the example of The endurance expedition to show how it, works and you Called Ernest Shackleton, british and If i'm not, wrong Also Tom, crean but both men were reborn In. Irish shackleton was born in Kil Key county Kill. Dare DID i say that? RIGHT i THINK i? Did you said, Ki, yeah Kil Key County killdare just under an hour From Dublin, city And crean was born In, Anascaul County. Kerry this is a sore spot For irish people as we are often so often Called british and we don't take it so. Well, example look Up Killian murphy also being Called. British but we will forgive, you, However and that is From epha And. Ifa that is me being an ignorant, person AND i certainly know there's a, difference AND i have a hard time keeping tracks, sometimes BUT i need to do better at.
Speaker 2: That so.
Speaker 3: Apologies nice, Work.
Speaker 2: Chuck i'm Sure i've done that before, too SO i want to apologize.
Speaker 3: Too great two apologies in one, yes and who is that? From that was FROM efa spelled A i F e.
Speaker 2: Beautiful THANKS a LOT efa and if you want to be LIKE efa and call us out on something we stand for that you can send it in an email to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot.
Speaker 1: Com stuff You Should know is a production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts my Heart, radio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite.
Speaker 2: Shows