Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Reason Choice Media. Welcome home, y'all, this is episode one twenty four of Native Lampard, where we give you I breakdown on all things political, with a little bit of culture sprinkled in there every now and again. I'm your host today, Andrew Gillum, and of course I'm joined by my amazing co host, Angela Ryan Bacari Sellers. But then there is the truly truly incredible, amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing.
Speaker 2: They've already introduced me one time, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Second, second only to not Bacari. We are joined today by an extraordinary broadcast journalist, co hosts of Flagrant and Funny with our other sister friend, Jamil Hill, and the host of her own Very Naked.
Speaker 3: With Yeah, very naked, now always it very It's not very naked.
Speaker 4: You said very I.
Speaker 1: Said very own with a very own with Carrie Champion. Y'all please help us welcome Carrie carry Champion, the amazing, the incredible, the indefeakable co host for today.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 5: Carrie?
Speaker 6: First of all those words, I need you to explain them all to me. You're so small.
Speaker 1: Indefatigable is a.
Speaker 4: Word you did not say. Indefatigable you say that, No, I think.
Speaker 2: With that one, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh many, Welcome Carrie, Welcome, welcome, welcome home.
Speaker 4: Thank you, also a machete. We didn't say that part.
Speaker 6: We saved that for me, he said, Hi, friend, thank you so much for having me on. I appreciate y'all so much. I know you're busy folks. Thanks for squeezing me in here.
Speaker 1: Oh please, thank you for saying yes. All right, So before we get in today's show, and we got a lot of topics that we got to cover with you all because we want to make sure that none of you, our listeners, at least are caught unawares about what's happening not only here in the country but around the world. But before we get going, I just want to make a personal, personal, personal plea invitation to all of our listeners to please join me this upcoming Monday, that'll be March thirtieth, for a very very special town hall meeting with mayors and leaders from across the country, people who we know and respect and love, have love for as we talk about some of the challenges that continue to rain down from this federal administration as they try to reign power over everybody and everything and every institution. How it is that cities, localities are fighting back. What we are doing on the front lines those your local leaders to make sure that democracy still stands at the end of the four years. Okay, So that'll be on Monday, March thirtieth. Begins streaming at two pm Eastern Standard time, and of course if you miss us live at two pm Eastern Standard you can catch us on the podcast feed. We'll make sure it gets right up for your listening pleasure. Now, y'all, we are headed into for your situational awareness. I want to kick off our conversation or at least our topics for our situational awareness with the fact that all of us have heard Donald Trump talking lately about the Save Act is really Save Donald Trump from Accountability Act. But but but he is putting all of the pressure on the Congress to pass no other legislation because he refuses to sign any until his voter suppression bill, the Save Act, is passed by the House of the Senate and sent to his desk for signature. He is invoking a power he concedes is even greater than him and trying to push this over the finish line. Let's hear it directly from the President.
Speaker 7: I'm tying homeland security into voter identification with picture and proof of citizen citizenship in order to vote, and those who are the most important thing having to do with homeland security. So it's part. It should be part of the Homeland Security bill, and I'm requesting that the Republican Senators do that immediately. You don't have to take a fast vote, don't worry about Easter going home. In fact, make this one for Jesus. Okay, make this one for Jesus. That's what I tell.
Speaker 1: Him, y'all. He called and on them come. My question is does he know them?
Speaker 6: No, No, he.
Speaker 3: Knows two Corinthians. You have to say nothing on this one. This is this is all a part of you know what he's been doing. He's been holding the Senate hostage to forcing the saveack down the throats of the American people, ensuring TSA workers are not getting paid for doing the hard work they do every single day, sending an ice to monitor and pass out water. I don't know if y'all saw that video. I wish I would have pulled that. But this is like all a part of this overall scheme to hijack American elections and to still continue to steal because the ain't a new still continue to steal democracy out of our hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'll tell you. I didn't put this in the announcements, but there were elections this week, and one such election took place actually in the area of Florida State House seat that represents mar A Lago and thereby Donald Trump in the Florida Legislature, where a Democrat actually picked up that seat representing the president of the Florida Legislature and had about a fourteen point swing between their victory and the Republican who last held that held that seat. And I'll just mentioned just parenthetically to this save accents, he's uh.
Speaker 2: The today he's.
Speaker 1: Railing against mail and voting, y'all. But guess how Donald Trump voted in this election. He used mail and voting to cast his vote against his new Democratic representative. So I just thought that was They're crazy, thought that that that that was interesting to note. We're going to get a little deeper actionally into some of the suppressive tactics that that we're confronting a little bit later, but right now, Bakari, I hear there's some news on the on the Taylor family front.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, first of all, I hope that we all take time to acknowledge those that we've lost in this kind of battle for soil rights and justice. People think that that we forget about them, But I just want Breonna Taylor's family to know that we remember her in a mode Aubrey and all those names that have been forgotten. People confuse justice and accountability all the time. And justice is Breonna Taylor still being here. Justice is George Floyd still being here. But here is Breonna Taylor's mother talking about her daughter and criticizing the Department of Justice. But she she says in our quote, she was killed because of their lives and negligence, and somebody should be held accountable for that. And that's as we look at d o J dismissing the charges for the officers that killed Brionna Taylor. In one of the words she uses in this which I think is so powerful, is accountability. And I think that we have to remember the difference between accountability and justice. But let Brionna Taylor's mother please have a moment where she's able to get that accountability. And the work that I do all the time, it's very ready that you get accountability or justice that civil cases are usually thrown out and the officers run scott free. And so here we are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean this is heartbreaking. Our listeners will remember that the Department of Justice, under the most unjust Attorney General, Pam Bondi, has moved to see those charges against those officers dismissed. Since the Trump administration has come into power, I believe a judge still has to make the final decision on allowing those charges to be done away with. And you know, I think at home, let's just lift our lift ourselves and collective prayer that the right thing can be done.
Speaker 6: At this point, the right thing I don't know what that is anymore. Do we get to.
Speaker 4: Definitely isn charges?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's for sure. Well, continuing along this theme of justice and what's right, Angela, I hear that there's a court case that that's moving.
Speaker 4: That wron afro Man. So shout out to Kerry Champion for calling this out.
Speaker 3: Our dear sister joy Read recently interviewed Afroman, whose government name is Joseph Foreman. It's all behind a lawsuit related to a twenty twenty two search warrant of Afroman's Ohio home, one of the homes. More on that in just a moment. It was executed by the Adams County Sheriff's Office and in response to them raiding his home for kidnapping and narcotics.
Speaker 4: The kidnapping and narcotics investigation, there were.
Speaker 3: No charges filed from Man did something that jay Z said maybe we should be done with.
Speaker 4: He brought fourth a dish track. Jay Z said, you don't know about these dish tracks no more. But Afroman had a little something on that. So maybe we can run part of the dish tract Nick and then.
Speaker 3: We can get to what he said about his second house from joy Riche.
Speaker 6: So let's tell let's start the surf in the beginning. I gave my rundown on a twenty twenty two How did you were not home?
Speaker 4: Were your wife and kids home?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 2: They were like, so, like, I have I have two houses.
Speaker 8: This this house is it's my company and it's my house when me and my ex get along, I'm gonna right there.
Speaker 2: It's anhinga.
Speaker 4: Got you the fact that he stopped.
Speaker 8: Joy.
Speaker 4: He tells you all you need to know. I want to hear from you on.
Speaker 6: This, Joyce said. Joyce. Joy's being a journalist, she said, and so were your wife and kids? Told he was like a damn, damn down, damn. My lady mad. My lady's sitting over here in the back. My lady not my wife, but my lady is mad. She's like, how is what?
Speaker 4: Two houses?
Speaker 6: I got an ex ye.
Speaker 4: I got a check it in a safe and.
Speaker 6: How it works is I was like, oh, she I've done that before. I have interviewed, you know, I ate the world of sports. I've interviewed certain athletes and I've asked about their family, thinking it's a it's a perfect, perfectly question, yeah, and they just get real uncomfortable, like I'm going through a divorce. How do you know? You're like, oh, you're cheating? Got it?
Speaker 4: Got it?
Speaker 1: Angela say, if if if your husband, your boyfriend ain't posting about you on Valentine, he.
Speaker 4: Got he definitely got a whole other piece. Afro Man said, I.
Speaker 6: Got two hous I got two houses.
Speaker 4: I loved it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and my girlfriend's right here and now now I got to explain to her when I get off this line, Joy read.
Speaker 4: You got did you guys speak that?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: That one of them green? That was a green screen backdrop.
Speaker 3: That greenhouse was not the house she was over in high behind that angela.
Speaker 1: How did the case turn out?
Speaker 4: So he didn't They did not win for defamation.
Speaker 3: They they tried to sue him over a dish track, and fortunately, I guess the jurors understand the assignment.
Speaker 4: They know that a dish track is not real.
Speaker 3: Uh, this is about you know, he said, I think the woman was a man, and that the uh that the the other officer was the son of a bitch, And I think, you know.
Speaker 2: It's just he was banging, banging exactly exactly his wife.
Speaker 6: He said, Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only the only witness that afro Man called to the to the stand was the ex wife of one of the officers.
Speaker 1: Wild.
Speaker 2: The trial was fascinating. I would I think legally it's afro Man is just as consequential as Uncle Luke for music in the first Amendment.
Speaker 1: That's all right, that's fair, that's fair.
Speaker 4: That is amazing.
Speaker 6: And I love I love Afromn. I loved I love this entire didj Okay so did y'all listen to the There is a y'all need to listen to some of his greatest hits.
Speaker 2: The pound because I Got High is the best song he ever made.
Speaker 6: Oh no, but Poundcake got over like four four and a half million streams, like because the officer he literally watched the He literally was watching them go through his entire house while they were raiding his house. He was, he said, he pulled over to the side of the road and watched everything they did. He was like, this is the only way I can get these people back. Man stole his pound cake. That's just respectful. The officer ate his pound cake while they raided in the house.
Speaker 3: If it was a seven upcake, he would have died. If it was a seven up cake, he would have died.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't. I would look at those videos so long as they have septime.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna tell you that you can understand we this is great and it might might have should have been a mini pot.
Speaker 4: But we gonna go to the next hot topic of.
Speaker 1: Winning or not winning. Okay, I hear Carrie, you've been following a particular team in her face, and I.
Speaker 2: Probably disagree with Carrie on this, I said, I probably am, but I want to hear what you got to say.
Speaker 6: You're talking about Yukon, and uh, well, you're talking about Syracuse. So so here's the deal. As everyone knows, March madness is happening right now, and there's one particular coach. Her name is Lagette Jack. She is a very well known coach. He's done well for herself. Before she was at Syracuse, she was at Buffalo, but she's in a particular part of this region where her bracket always finds her facing Yukon. Yukon, as we know, is one of the most dominant women's programs in women's basketball, and so essentially after the loss, she says that she's upset and she doesn't know why she has to continue to face Yukon. Take a listen.
Speaker 9: For us to do what we've done, to continuously have to come to Yukon and every single school that I go to, from Buffalo to it's unfair to the young people.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is.
Speaker 9: Somebody said, is there something that they might have against me? If that's the case, and we need to communicate about that. But for us to be what we've done and our body of work to have to come and play that best team in the country. I mean, Gino has this thing going and he is. I love what he's done, but we I thought deserved a little more respect after being in this business for thirty seven years and to have to come and be in this particular bracket every freaking year.
Speaker 3: Love shut up, brought you you.
Speaker 6: Nice. In my mind, I'm like, yeah, you know, you have to face Yukon. That's that's what it is.
Speaker 1: You want to be the best right.
Speaker 6: You want to be the best right, So here cruise like you have to have these people, just just like Don did. Don got tired of getting her ass beat by that particular team I'm talking about Don Staley, and she got people behind her and recruited and did what she had to do. While it may not be that easy, right because it does. It sounds easy, but everybody can't do it. In my mind, I'm like, coach, I hear you you. But she's making it. She's almost making.
Speaker 3: It about her, she said, And she went on to say, like, I don't know, if they got sign against me, why is.
Speaker 6: It about you? Why is it if it isn't really about these young ladies that you are trying to teach to be better humans. You're teaching and she and she said, I did a little further research. She said she knew they was gonna lose it two thirty because she couldn't simulate the surroundings of playing on you, playing in Yukon's arena and being with those fans. So the girls were already afraid. It was really a poor showing. But I'm like they learned that from you, Like I feel that that's set energy that they got from you. You may disagree with me Becaari, but I.
Speaker 2: Agree production car I did. I agree with that wholeheartedly. I just think that now that the reason that they are there, people need to know is that they they place people regionally so that fans can travel because in women's basketball, they're not neutral sites. The top sixteen teams get home teams. Except for the fact that usc did travel they little ass all the way over here to Columbia on Monday night and got smacked by forty points. So there are exceptions that are made to every rule there. So she may have a point, but you got to play the game. You got to strap up and go out and win.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm confused about what The point might be, if you eventually have to go through the better of the best teams, if they were the champions, they.
Speaker 2: Could have they could have swapped her out and made her the nine seed in our regional and the result was in the same.
Speaker 6: Right she could have been, but she would still have to face the best.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying, you still have to be it's a widowing process that if you keep winning, you will ultimate to get to the next best winner, who may be better than you, or they may be worse than you, but I'll carry them with you on the attitude that if you are setting your players up, all jump like, oh god, how we gonna play them again? They on our calendar again. That's that's that's no way to approach competitive sports. It's unsportsman like, unsports woman behavior. And then to.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, I know I was gonna take a detour because I was going to talk about I was gonna see if Carrie wanted to talk about some of the mess we saw on the W that came across my feet this morning.
Speaker 4: You guys can't do that because topic.
Speaker 2: If you saw that that new relationship that then the W they broadcast himself online. We'll talk about the gossip Jackie and DJA.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean maybe the listeners want to hit the gossip.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I'm gonna leave, y'all.
Speaker 1: I want to hear the load.
Speaker 6: Like she said, it's a holder.
Speaker 4: We got to.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, the w is a mess and the relationships are even messier. And I'm here for all of the drama.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about We'll talk about it on the side.
Speaker 4: Y'all need to text in this studio chat.
Speaker 2: With Jackie and DJ and A. And you know she still has teammates with Well, go ahead.
Speaker 1: Well, as we are flying onto a new topic. As we lay, y'all, y'all can fly. Okay, We're gonna fly on to the to to what the heck is happening with these priced gug geam come up with a new category. You gotta buy your crackers and your soda and your water and you in your leg room. Apparently on the airliners. Carrie, what is this that we hear about?
Speaker 3: She might not be able to talk about United she can hit down to let me tell you this one hates United I will just say in economy they have a new class. Nick, do we have that picture of the United States so now you can buy three seats, and they got the seats that have flipped the legs up so you can make it a bed, so they can.
Speaker 4: Charge you a little more. Just so Carrie, Yeah, it's another layer.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: Nick will play the video. Let's do that? Are you lying down?
Speaker 3: It says nope, they shut here. Well you're about to be, so you lift up those arm rest, boo, and then you kick that seat up like a recliner like popos.
Speaker 4: In the middle of the plane. Lay it out, got a blanket to pillows.
Speaker 3: You can fly by yourself, or you could cuddle with your boo, naptime with your kids, family time.
Speaker 4: Just for carry carry you.
Speaker 6: Know, I came full with United. And that is such a lie because they're not even giving you a real simulation, because y'all know what it's like in the in the in the economies. Y'all know how funch it's back there. There is no yeah, there's no breathing room. That's not realistic. That's so unfair, that's so unfair for tiny people.
Speaker 1: Really sure you know what that was for Trump? That that's why he went out the Greenland. He saw it on the map. It was huge, and he's like it's.
Speaker 4: So big, it's huge.
Speaker 1: Well, didn't the US.
Speaker 3: Happy with Delta Delta snatching the members of Congress? That's the play said. If ts A can't do it, then you're not getting no perks.
Speaker 1: I don't explain it listens from from the top, what is doing.
Speaker 6: So if you are a member of Congress and you fly Delta, you get perks probably to the line. First, you don't have to go through certain certain areas of security. They take care of you in various ways. But they said, you know, the upgrades and such, and so they're saying Delta's like, you know what, until you all figure this out, you don't get any perks if you can't. If you can't, and I think to me that was much more of a political statement. That's why I said, that's why I forol Delta. I am ade Delta. Okay, so you get it. Not only is it the best airline. I appreciate them being bold enough to say we don't have time for this. It's like, guess what if you can't figure this out, no more perks. You wait just like everybody else, You get harassed by by ice like everyone else. You you sit with the pedestrians, nothing special about you. We'm putting you back in Jim Pop, and I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: We do have the video from Delta CEO, so let's take a quick listen.
Speaker 10: It's inexcusable that our security agents, are frontline agents that are central to what we do, are not being paid. And it's ridiculous to see them be used as a political chips.
Speaker 2: So you know, we're our age, you know.
Speaker 10: And if there's a call to action here, and I think open ninety percent of the American public support most people getting paid. Ask our folks right here in Washington to do their job, get our people paid. They can do it.
Speaker 1: That's leadership.
Speaker 6: Do your job.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. I think that's Ed Bastian is his name in correct me if I'm wrong, But I appreciated during the George Floyd protests the statement that came under his signature from Delta remembory pretty distinctly, and I also appreciate it. This is a little selfish and personal, but the great links they went through through COVID and recognizing that a lot of folks weren't flying for people who were regular flyers, and it achieved certain levels and statuses and points and that kind of thing. They like, rolled that thing over for three years. They sure did, you know, gave you opportunity after opportunity away. I just think that's the way that corporations can stand up during the age of Trump and Trump is to say that they matter. It may not seem like a big thing to regular folk, but those members aly on that thing when they're running from the Capitol trying to catch a flight to get to you know, back to their homes and enjoy their weekends and so on and so forth.
Speaker 6: Waitness line waiting is to our line wrapped around the corner.
Speaker 1: If y'all can't do your business, you can't do the work in Washington. Do it.
Speaker 2: That's just for just for people who were watching. The people need to know that you can fund t s A cleanly without funding the rest of homeland security. So that was the agreement, you know, if they want to.
Speaker 1: Know, that was the Republicans and the Democrats agreement that that soon took to Trump.
Speaker 2: Trump and Trump said no. So, I mean there have been bills. There have been seven bills, clean bills, clean funding bills to fund the fund TSA that Democrats have sponsored that eleven. Now I'm sorry side. Yeah, that's but there's been an objection from at least one senator each time. So at the end of the at the end of the day, people should know that this can be done cleanly. Republicans are objecting to that, that's right.
Speaker 1: And just you know, while we're on this to say, and I know we'll talk about TSA. We will be flowing into that real quick. But he used TSA because he knows the disdain that Democrats and the American people have, the fear that has now been instilled in so many of us about what people can expect when they encounter TSA. He used that as a weapon to basically say, Okay, Democrats, if you won't agree, if you won't come to the table and do what I want you to do, how about we dispatched TSA. And I think Angela, you've got a little bit more drilled down on how they're showing up in airport, what's around the country now.
Speaker 3: What we are really starting to see, y'all is this overlap between the actions of the Save Act and Andrew, That's why I was kind of mumbling under my breath. It's actually a little more complicated than that. That compromise that Senator thom brought to Donald Trump was because what they're hoping for is that they can get at least most of the elements of the Save Act thrown into the reconciliation process, so they still force this thing down our throats. A lot of Democratic senators don't support that methodology, but they were trying to figure out a way to get the TSO's paid. Yesterday, you all may know, my solo pod was on this topic. Talked to the AFG president Everett Kelly, and then one of the local presidents, Aaron Barker, who was also ASO le' sorry American Federation of Government Employees, and they represent I think it's twenty seven thousand of the tsos, although there are a little under fifty thousand total, and so what I think is really important here is the overlay. So they are doing a dry run, as we'll see in this next clip from Steve Bannon. And then I'll yield to y'all of what it might be like to deploy ice where they do not belong outside of the jurisdiction as originally intended in that initial Homeland Security Authorization Act. If we deploy ice around the country in places where we can instill fear in the American people, at the airports, just to see if you have your papers, at election sites, just to see if you have your papers, and everywhere else that doesn't have anything to do with enforcing immigration the immigration laws of this land. So let's roll this clip from Steve Bannon because I think it's important, and then let's tie this into Project twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: Let's roll it.
Speaker 11: We can use what's happening with these ICE helping out, helping out at the airports. We can use this as a test is a test case to get it's really perfect ICE's involvement in the twenty twenty six midterm elections.
Speaker 2: Sir, Yeah, I think we should have ICE agents at the polling places because if you're an illegal alien, you can't vote.
Speaker 11: The ICE agents at the airports to help out. And remember they said they're not going to work the X rays is too complicated and they're not trained for it. But they're trained to wait for it, check IDs. That's what it's perfect training for the fall of twenty twenty six. This is why it's such a brilliant This is another five D chess move for President Trump. Let's get ICE into the airports to help out to the lines. And they can't work the machines, you know, what they do is walk them down. Hey, we're gonna speak things, SOO can we check your IDs? That's what's going to happen in the follow twenty six because folks, we're tired of having an election stolen. So ICE is going to be there in the in the fall of twenty six, just like they're in the airports today. So from the war room, suck on.
Speaker 4: That, Jesus Christ. Right, So there's that, and then I want it.
Speaker 3: While you guys are responding to this, Nick, if we can put up pages one fifty eight and one fifty nine of Project twenty twenty five where they reference TSA. They are at the same time where they're trying to intimidate American citizens, they also are working to make TSA clunky so they can privatize it. Why would they want to do that? They also want to deunionize it. Why would they want to put all of this in place around the twenty twenty sixth elections so that we are forced to have our IDs check? So it's in alignment with what the Save Act calls for. Even if they don't pass the Save Act, And all of this is happening with the backdrop of what happened in the Supreme Court, so we can hold that. But I want y'all to be able to respond to this.
Speaker 1: So if I could just say, for the benefit of our listeners, that there isn't a jurisdiction that I know of in the entire United States that does not have an ID verification when you go and vote, either an identification, a legal identification, or you would have to vote what is known as a challenge ballot, which is an affidavit that swears that you are who you say you are, and that vote then gets investigated and counted or discounted after the election day is done. That's part of the curing process. So when you hear the President say that it's just an ID, he's playing with you. It is not just an ID. We already have that in the fifty states and in the four territories in which voting takes place and is run by those respective states or territories. What he is suggesting, not suggesting, what he wants to mandate, is that we now not only have to show our identification, whatever that legal idea may be, but that we have to show our papers. And what do we mean when we say show our papers? It means that you need to have a birth certificate, a government issue birth certificate that you produce in order to register to vote. And saying, millions of people, millions across this country, including and I would say especially and Republican areas, do not have line of sight access to their birth certificates. I have had to requisition my own information from my state's government. And I mentioned before on this show, was sent two different Social Security cards with two different middle names for me on it, right, So the government, it's not as if they have the perfect solution for all the problems. I had to go through and get other documentation to cure that, and then get a single number and card that had my first, middle and last name actually accurate.
Speaker 6: And you know who doesn't have that? A lot of women, married, women divorced, they change their name often, and also older people. My friend is trying to get a passport for her dad, he's seventy some years old. She can't get his birth certificate. It's impossible to get his birth certificate in California, in Los Angeles County it takes her for the paperwork and the amount of time, and it's so intentional, and I'm thinking to myself, this is so disgusting, and it feels more, and it feels more to me. You think of women who have been married and they changed their last name, or they didn't change their last name, or they got a divorce and they didn't change it back, and it's impossible to find that to happen. And I think about that for so many women because that is the case, that's real.
Speaker 1: And you know what else, I think that's a brilliant point. I would also add, particularly in the South, the geopolitical South, but also the actual South, you have elders who were given a name, hospital changes it. They end up with different documentation that does not include the name that they go by. And so if you force those people to track down the ID that matches then the birth certificate name and have those be identical in spelling and in every other forms, we would run into some serious situations. And again that is at the hands of the government. That's at the hands of the government, not the fault of the individual. So when we hear the President talk about this, and everybody says, well, yeah, I mean, it makes sense to have an ID. We're not talking about an ID. That's not what this is about. This is about show your papers. And what they're creating is a problem in search of a solution, rather than a solution in search of a they have a solution that they're creating a problem.
Speaker 6: This is not a real problem. This is not a problem. It's not a problem.
Speaker 1: We're talking about fourteen people in what ten years who voted illegally as non citizens of the United States, and we're able to prove that it was an intentional act.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's incredible. One of the things that we are seeing right now, and I wanted to toss to a clip from Senator Ed Markey from Massachusetts, is that you highlighted this because a lot of people who watch the show, and a lot of my friends, barbershop friends, a lot of black men I talk to ask the question, like why is it difficult to show your ID when you vote? They think that's what this is, and it's not. It's a citizenship test, right, it's proving your citizenship. Those things And again we go back to the same point that we made last week and the week before lasted. If your vote went and so important, they wouldn't work so damn hard to take it from you. And along those same lines, one of the things that I found to be true is that if the Save I passes, it will be easier to buy an AR fifteen in this country then it will be to vote. And Ed Markey right here, Nick toss it up actually went to the well and illustrated this.
Speaker 12: The new requirement to present a photo ID at the polling place is more stringent than laws already on the books in all but one stake in the country. If to Save Act, if to Steal Act passes, it will be easier to buy a gun in many states than to vote. Can I say that again? The NRA does not want it to be difficult to buy a gun. Republicans go along with that. Red States standards are very low. To buy a gun, but to vote, Oh, now they're concerns. Now we need standards which make it almost impossible for tens of millions of Americans to.
Speaker 2: Be able to comply. So just let that sink in.
Speaker 12: It would be easy to buy a gun than to exercise the most fundamental right of citizenship in our nation.
Speaker 1: But KR, you say this all the time that none of these things are high happening in isolation, separate and apart from each other, That all these things, these systems at every level, are working together in conspiracy to produce a particular outcome. Angela. Before we go to the or arguments that were before the US Supreme Court this week, give us an example of how out there on the West Coast we are seeing the local leaders take it into their own hands to try to bear down again on this intimidation tactic around voting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that what we're seeing is states across the country are emboldened by what we are witnessing Republicans do, which is to make it more difficult to vote and to intimidate voters. So the Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, who also happens to be a front runner on the Republican side in the California governor's gouvenatorial race, is trying to seize more than six hundred and fifty thousand ballots under the auspices of conducting a recount effort.
Speaker 1: I believe he already sees Yeah, he did.
Speaker 4: He already sees them.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, and I think that what is fascinating here is the Attorney General, Rob Bonta, said that this sheriff has no probable cause for such an investigation. The court actually did not agree with the Attorney General. What I think this does is put people in harm's way. They are afraid about what is happening Again, Andrew, you talked about a solution in search a problem. They're going on looking for voter fraud when in fact it says there have only been seventy one cases a voter fraud in the past thirty two years in California, and those are voter fraud convictions despite California County more than eleven point five million ballots in November in the special election alone. So that, I think is what is an issue here again, then being emboldened by the Steve Bannons of the world, by the Heritage Foundations of the world by Project twenty twenty five that also deals with voting. So yes, what's happening in Mississippi and why this case was before the Supreme Court have everything to do with this. So from Mississippi to Cali, we see this problem happening.
Speaker 1: So in California. Just so that listeners, all of us can let this sink in a sheriff of a county is able to not off of a referral from the prosecutor's office. Right, that's genuinely generally how a investigation out of nowhere thin air comes in to formation, because you don't just investigate for no reason. You investigate with the intention to prosecute and hold accountable people who have done something wrong.
Speaker 4: Or unless your intention is intimidation, which.
Speaker 1: Is who are guided by other intentions, that's extrac That's exactly right. So all I'm saying is that if imagine where you live, your county sheriff deciding that they have the power to go and seize the ballots of another constitutionally elected officer. Almost in every place, Supervisors of elections are elected, Secretary of states in some cases are appointed, but many of them are elected going into that jurisdiction off of a right wing conspiracy. That's right, that the votes that were tallied don't match what they believe the actual turnout numbers represented in that county.
Speaker 6: Right, Andrew the Attorney general not to cut you off, even said no, he said, please, let's let let me let me investigate before you, before you continue down this path. Let me see where these allegations are coming from, if it's even founded. He's like, no, I'm all sat, I know. I haven't talked to and I'm like, this is wild the world that we live in. Again, to your point about literally creating a solution for a problem we don't have. This administration is good for that, Maggan is good for that. I think of the trans issue in sports, there really isn't an issue. There isn't if this is a big issue and trans boys are taking over girls' sports in high school and in college. But you ran on that like it was such an issue. These are not real things, and people are being sit in their mind, They're like, this is happening. One is too many? By fourteen people who voted illegally? Is too many? Forty seventy seven people throw out these random numbers. It's just too many. And that's what's happening right now in real time.
Speaker 1: I'm curious from y'all's perspective whether or not you think, and again we'll get to the Supreme Court cases. Is really important that we all stay abreast of this. But what do you think democrats forget democrats, lovers of democracy, people who value the rights that we have and want to see them expanded and not constricted. How should we be talking about this if we know that most reasonable people, but Car, you invoked this folks in the Bibles are saying, what's the problem with you're being able to produce ID when we know it's more complicated than that. How should we be talking about this in a way that validates some of the reasonableness of the of the argument around identification with what is draconian and what they are doing as as repult. If we had advice and somebody was on the listening end of our advice, what would it be around how this thing ought to be argued innovated?
Speaker 12: Car?
Speaker 1: If you're talking, you're muted.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry my house phone was ringing, so im mute at myself. But I don't even know what we got no house.
Speaker 4: I'm impressed you got a house, got some new headphones.
Speaker 2: Do you see what I go through? Do you see what I got through? I've actually talked to hr at iHeart, and they said they just said stick with it. I mean, r.
Speaker 3: Okay, Michael bar Jordan, every name, his name is Andrew.
Speaker 2: Yes, anyway, all right, all right, anyway, back in two thousand. In two thousand and six when I first read for office, ran against Thomas Road, who was eighty two years old, have been in office for twenty six years. And on election day at one of my biggest precincts in Denmark, we actually had two white guys pull up to the precinct and a pickup truck and they got out of the pickup truck with the shotgun and they literally just sat in front of this all black precinct for hours with a shotgun, like counting key. It's not open carry, but it's Denmark. Were close enough to open carry right. We're open carry now, but at the time you had to have a license. But weren't nobody gonna bother them. It was that type of intimidation, that kind of overt intimidation, we're gonna see you up with physical I'm sorry, Nick, we're gonna mess you up with physical vie violence type of intimidation that we could see, and we just built our mindset to say that nobody was going to stop us from getting to the polls. Black folks always say, you know, we're going to overcome this, whatever hurdle they put in our way. We're going to overcome this. So my first piece of advice is one that nobody's really going to like. Right The first piece of advice I have is begin now working for what the possible outcome may be. So with our seniors, with our older people. NAACP, by the way, shout out to Kristen Clark for being the new announced as the news General Counsel of the NAACP. Begin organizing right now, helping people get their papers for November of twenty twenty six, Begin working on what the possible outcome may be, so we're not scrambling in November doing provisional ballots and having all of these ballots and a very consequential election tossed out. That's first and foremost. The second thing is we're in the middle of filing periods right now. In a lot of states. People are fire to run for office. We need to make sure that one of the biggest and most sexy races that people run for a secretary of state. You know, for a long period of time, we haven't focused on secretary of State. We haven't focused on judges, we haven't focused on Supreme Court justices, and that's coming to bite us in the ass Supervisors of elections, supervisors of elections, those things matter. And actually what we're seeing right now because of the West Coast the sheriffs. Because if the sheriff has the audacity to walk into a precinct and seize ballots, what is he doing on the side, He's probably sprinkling a little coke on your son when he pulls them over for a minor traffic violation, right, So I mean there is a direct correlation, trust me. So I just think that we have to begin to prepare ourselves for what the endgame is. Work backwards and preparing for an election, running for office, electing to people, and right now, it's important for our local elected officials mayors. Shout out to all the mayors we love, but they're going to have to utilize their platform to raise their voices about this issue because they are closest to the ground. Mayor, city council people, school board people need to be teaching people about what the Save Act is. Of course, you don't have a vote on it, but Randa Woolfin's voice is probably more powerful in Alabama than even those people who are federally elected. Frank Scott's voice in Little Rock is more powerful than people who are federally elected, and so I empower all of those local elected officials where we still have some success. Chris Hollins in Houston, Texas. I mean, make sure that you're raising your voice using your platform so people really understand what the Save Act is when we talk about it and mention it. So those are my three kind of tangible things that we have to do to prepare for what is this tsunami.
Speaker 1: Carrion Angela as well as Bikari speaking of the preparing for what may be right, the potential, the inevitable, the possible, the plausible, and.
Speaker 2: Nobody knows.
Speaker 1: This week, the United States Supreme Court heard or arguments based on a case coming out of Mississippi where the state of Mississippi, run by Republicans during the COVID era, passed the law that allowed for ballots that were mailed and postmarked by election day to be counted in the total count of the votes that are cast. And just so that folks know, it's about thirty days or so after the election the actual election day takes place that those votes then are formally certified, which then leads to whatever the official outcome is of that race. So there is already a period that is built in for the curing and the certification of the votes that are cast. Well, the National Republican Party took issue with the Republicans in Mississippi taking their marching orders from Trump and are saying no election days. One day you vote, you count those ballots on that one day. In any that comes in the mail after that should not be, should not be, should not be counted. So that's a very hairy, just sort of picture of what the case is. That is before the courts and the jurists had their opportunity to ask questions, which oftentimes gives us a window into how they might decide the ultimate case. Let's hear a little bit of what we here heard from the justices this week.
Speaker 13: Should ballots that arrive after election day be allowed to be counted even if they're postmarked by election day? Mississippis Solicitor General says yes.
Speaker 5: States have allowed that for over a century. Congress has respected it, no one challenged it until now. The question is whether Congress in eighteen forty five blocked that practice. The answer is no.
Speaker 13: Fourteen states plus Washington, d C. As well as the territories of Guam, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands accept late arriving ballots, a practice lawyers for the Republican National Committee and the Trump administration say should be banned.
Speaker 2: I would say that the day of the election is the days the last day in which all the ballots are cast and they are received into official custody.
Speaker 13: The three liberal justices raising concerns about ballots received from those serving in the US military, also citing the long history of counting them after election day and the lack of federal laws prohibiting it.
Speaker 3: Congress just said, whatever the state has decided with regard to ballot received dead lines is going to apply here.
Speaker 2: Correct, And that's been the case for one hundred and eighty years.
Speaker 1: Y're on, So one hundred and eighty years. This has been a practice in the United States of validating and counting those votes so long as they've been postmarked. And y'all may remember this with joy. When the Joy was appointed the Postmaster General by Donald Trump, and we had all these delays and then shut down enclosures of post offices around the country. A lot of us were really operating in fear that they would use the postal service and mail in ballots as a way to slow down, potentially the delivery of mail from some places, so that if fail outside the reasonable period for votes to be counted, so on and so forth. So what you could depend on, and by the way, the federal government depends on this when it comes to our taxes, that so long as your taxes are postponed by the date that taxes are due, they are technically on time at the point that the federal government receives that mail and to their offices. The federal government already recognizes postmark date as a legitimate date to meet the deadline. Right, but in this case, somehow the law's been transfigured. What do y'all thay, what's your take on this case and what you think may happen?
Speaker 6: The overall issue for me, and when I listen, and I'm glad that I'm a guest, but when I listen to you all talk, and I know that everyone at home who's watching and listening understands that the issue is is that this man is trying to steal the election. It is in place, and it's happening, and we can talk about all these different specific ways in which it's happening, so that we can be well informed. But all I'm saying is that I sit here and I watch in real time, and I almost and I don't want to use the H word, but it feels very hopeless. It feels like and that's when you said, where do we get this? What kind of advice? And then McCary says, Okay, we should make sure that we pay attention to different different elections and make sure that we are putting people in places and positions where they can stop this from happening in real time, but preparing for the worst. I am watching that no one has any real integrity, No one within this no one within this administration is a leader. Everyone is following suit and it terrifies me in real time. And for someone who grew up in California and it's always late, trust me, my ballot was just right on time, and put it right. It's six fifty nine. You still can come and get it whatever time it was. That's what it is. And I'm watching every single thing put in place across this nation to make sure that this man stays in this position of power. And it's terrifying to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that should be, I mean it should be.
Speaker 2: It should be terrifying. But with that, with that terrifying, terrifying feeling, it should not necessarcessarily be hopeless. But I would articulate that we should hope that people have a sense of urgency. And I think and I think that the urgency is missing from this discussion because we have been so beat up and put upon for the past eight ten years, and you know, and black folk much longer. But just since Trump came down that escalator in twenty fifteen and just a degradation and the language and you know, calling Mexicans rapist. That's how he came out the gate, right, you know, all of these things that we see. And I was telling people, I was describing people about being on CNN when when when I got higher, Barack Obama was still president. It's like we had one new cycle a day, right, you talked about one issue a day. Now it's like perverbably drinking out of a fire hose. You have eight nine news cycles in a day. So it becomes exhausting. And what we're asking people to do is and it's hard. The audacity of us sit in these beautiful homes and sit in the comfort of our chairs, and people are trying to make ends meet, they have kids that are sick. You know, they are trying to make sure that they work there forty hours a week and still work their other job and do all of these things. And we're still asking them to have urgency about a process that they now see is so fragile. Democracy is so fragile. The audacity for us to do that, I think also lacks some self awareness, because we have to be empathetic enough to understand what they're going through, but also understanding the preservation of democracy is of the utmost importance right now, and there.
Speaker 1: Is push back there. Yes, I agree with you that there is a need to recognize what people are feeling and how they're being put upon. But I think part of our jobs here is to one distill as best we can what folks have coming at them so that they're not surprised, called unawares, and then retreat because they weren't prepared for it. I think part of what we have to do is not only make people feel urgency, but also help people to build a plan of how they're going to navigate all these challenges that are coming at us to still get that vote done. Because if we disconnect in any way, shape or form the struggles folks are having to make their forty hours a week to keep their kids fed, to keep a roof over their head. If we disconnect that from the people who are in the positions of power making those decisions, shame on us. Because if you think you can sit where you sit, wherever it is you sit in this at this time, in this conversation and disconnect your issues, your highest hopes, ambitions for your family, or your deepest, darkest fears that that for you, yourself and your family. If you can disconnect that from the politics that are at work, then you are a fool, because they are not disconnected.
Speaker 2: They are one in sense. I hear you and I agree that not you. No no, no, no no no no no, I mean I mean no. You just do that off air consistently and it hurts you. Oh no, I thank you, But but I wanted to I want to thank you. I wanted to quote. Let me let me quote Mike type in here to respond to you. Okay, I think it was Mike because.
Speaker 4: That gets us into sports. Keep going.
Speaker 2: But Mike Tyson, I think is the one who said it best. Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face, right, And so you know, we talk about it on this show a lot of giving. Carrie asked me for some things, and I gave some tangible things, and her response is is very on point and correct, like those plans sound good, but day after day we're getting punched in the jaw like we are. It's hard and when you take those beatings consistently, we have to find some way. My only point is I don't know if it's through uh you know, a charismatic figure in leadership, or I don't know if it's through continuously preaching the same message we're preaching. I don't want people to have a Messiah complex by any stretch, but we have to find some way to kind of bridge that gap of that hopelessness with that urgency and find find a way for people to meet somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree. I would just say, imagine how many punches Tyson was able to avoid because he anticipated, right, we know the ones that landed and must have done. They were few.
Speaker 6: And probity that it takes both. Everyone takes both.
Speaker 1: It takes both. But the last thing that I think we can do is in any way delude people into thinking that this is going to be a walk in the park, watchewing gum. It's not gonna be that.
Speaker 3: It's not, And neither is the month of March in twenty twenty five or in twenty twenty six. There March madness means something completely different these days. We spoke a lot about the March madness happening politically, but we got Carrie Champion.
Speaker 4: Here, Andrew, So what you say we pivot to March madness?
Speaker 6: Beautiful transition?
Speaker 1: What's your gay? From madness to madness.
Speaker 4: From madness, from bad madness to good madness? Andrew? Unless we talk about that Syracuse clip from earlier? So are we are we gonna hit these brackets, y'all? Carrie cheat, We get these brats.
Speaker 6: So look, So yesterday during the production meeting, which Cary did not attend, I said, I want to give this right now.
Speaker 2: I don't work. I'm taking notes.
Speaker 6: He goes, get you, go get me. So I said, why don't we all do just a little, you know, a little final four, just your final four. You don't have to walk us through the whole tournament. Because everybody's bracket is busted, no matter what so I want to know one on the men's and the women's side, And it's pretty easy if you just say the final four teams that will ultimately be vying for the national championship, and then it's dumb down to two. You can have a prediction if you want. It's up to you. I I don't mind. But Bakari, did you submit? Because I know you.
Speaker 4: I know you didn't do his homework.
Speaker 6: He didn't do his homework. He can guess though, right he said, he said, give me your final four on the men's side, we'll start there, unless you want to go on the women's first.
Speaker 2: No, we I want to save the women's but I can do the men's because my final four is busted. Just the f y I have climb because I had. I have Florida going back to back and winning national championship on the men's side, but on the man I have Michigan, Arizona, Houston and Yukon uh, South Carolina huh. And on the midside, no, and then I have Arizona winning it all. I think Arizona has been the best team all year.
Speaker 4: That's fair, okay.
Speaker 6: And then on the so on a women's side, you want to do it.
Speaker 2: That on the women's side. On the women's side, the final four is gonna be amazing. I think South Carolina has to go through ukon next Friday if we do it, we're supposed to do this weekend in Sacramento. And then on the other side, I think you have l s U and Texas. The LSU beat U C l A, And I think L s U and Texas and I think I think LSU have they beaten Texas this year, So I think LSU wins that game. And I think South Carolina beat you, Khan, and I think you have a l s U South Carolina matchup in the National Championship, the highest rated TV women's basketball in the history of all things, all things, and we beat l Shit.
Speaker 6: He's doing emotion, that's all emotion. You go emotional, that's all.
Speaker 2: Why is that emotion? Give me some give me some locker room material.
Speaker 6: First of all, I'm going to tell you I think LSU is going to lose a duke. I think Caro losson and when he's doing that duke is something special. You got to watch that game for a lot of different reasons. And I think and also Flaje, who who Well.
Speaker 4: Now you better do your bracket care a.
Speaker 6: Minute, You're right, okay. I just think they're going to I'm going with the men's side really quickly. So I got and this is just truly my and I and I'm doing this because on the men's my men are out. I went to U c l A so in Michigan and Michigan State Houston, Arizona, Michigan. Those will be the final four. And in the big game, I'm going with Michigan State in Arizona, and I think Bakari is right. I think Arizona's gonna win it all. That's on the men's side. On the women's side, I'm clearly going to go with my team U c l A Texas. And then on the other side, we're gonna have Ukon c and I think at the end of the day it'll be Yukon U c l A and U c l A won it all. Let's go Bruins, get them fours up and no, at least I got Yukon making it. I mean, come on, I mean they are dominant, they haven't lost all year.
Speaker 4: Andrew bracket, Nope, I want you to go, no problem. Andrew's last all right.
Speaker 3: So for my men's bracket, I have Duke in Michigan and then Arizona and Purdue. I have Michigan and Arizona and the championship Arizona winning at all.
Speaker 4: For the women, I have.
Speaker 2: Three Arizonas, three Arizona.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I know, I was like, dang, y'all saw my answers, but maybe we just let the stats do that.
Speaker 4: Okay. For the women's I have Virginia and Yukon and then South Carolina u C LA carry and then.
Speaker 3: I have you know, I gotta have some West Coast come on, and then the championship game. I have South Carolina, Yukon. I have South Carolina with Don Staley winning it out.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, all right, well, since I.
Speaker 4: Have a click click, I promise.
Speaker 3: I know we've running out of the mini pot, but I wanted to play this because I think that money makes the world go around, and apparently it does with basketball. To Alexis o'hannian, that's how you say that man's last name, right, Yeah, he gave a significant donation to Virginia women's basketball.
Speaker 4: And I want to run this clip really quick.
Speaker 14: I called up, I said, hey, I want to I want to make you via a contender, let me know what to do, and so very grateful to be a big donor there the women's basketball program. I think, look, what is undeniable here is you're seeing this professionalization of sports at so many different levels in college. I think it will be a net positive. It has already been a positive in women's sports because the free market doesn't care about your feelings. The free market just wants to put dollars to where it thinks it can generate value. And when you have, for instance, women of basketball in college making millions of dollars, my friend Flage Johnson, she stayed an extra year at LSU because she was getting paid.
Speaker 2: So well, there, God blessed. That's amazing.
Speaker 14: And again, it doesn't happen because of feminism. It doesn't happen because of social issues. It happens because the free market is saying you and your following are so worth it, I need to give you money in exchange for your audience.
Speaker 3: I just wanted the part where he 're clear that he's invested into University of Virginia with Virginia's women's basketball program, and it did make a difference, and that's why they're in my final four Andrew Guild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, like I said, I'm dutiful in my assignments, except I fell off on this one. So I'm just gonna decide which if you had the best bracket in the one that I think is going to go all the way.
Speaker 2: Hell for not miss missing a production.
Speaker 4: That's the smart complete But she threw you off on U C l A. That's the only place to bring it. That is gonna They're gonna be in the four. I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: They will be in the four. And then this is let me tell you, let me tell you the best. What people are betting on and what neither of us said is everyone thinks Texas is actually gonna upset Yukon. That's that's where the betting money is right now. Because Texas been that would.
Speaker 2: Be in the national championship. That would be in the championship.
Speaker 6: I would be a national Championship's what people are saying.
Speaker 4: At the end of the day, South Carolina to go.
Speaker 2: But listen, we're going.
Speaker 4: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Speaking of basketball, the NBA has decided that you know, they're going to take a hard look at Vegas and Seattle.
Speaker 4: So I might get my son.
Speaker 2: You're gonna You're gonna have the fire anyway, don't you?
Speaker 4: Ain't she the fire?
Speaker 6: The new they have Seattle storm, which is already there, set, already there fire fire.
Speaker 2: Maybe I missed up maybe as somebody else.
Speaker 1: Of me being on fire and fire. I want to invite you guys, is uh, what are your what are your ct as? What do you want people to know?
Speaker 2: Things?
Speaker 1: Do?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 1: As we as we wrap this episode, and by the way, before y'all start those, I want to invite everybody to please join our mini pod on Friday. We're gonna be having a little conversation about what age is too young or too old to be dating?
Speaker 4: You know nothing but another?
Speaker 1: So here is debate the question.
Speaker 2: Who cares about truth?
Speaker 15: In the last morning?
Speaker 4: Seen it.
Speaker 1: Carry? You're our guests and amazing guess you've been what's your CIA?
Speaker 6: First of all, I'm so grateful that I get an opportunity to sit with your change makers and what I have what the call to action will be based, especially on this conversation today. It's let's add some urgency to making sure we understand what's going on in the world today. I need you to be urgent. I need you to talk about this like you need it for rent money, like you needed to keep your lights on. I need you to share this information with your friends with a sense of urgency, because there is it's so easy to get caught up to your point in the day to day. I'm trying to make ends meet. But at the same time, we need to be nuanced. We need to be we need to be a multi hyphenate. We need to be able to be aware of everything that is going on. We can't escape this. I can't turn on Paradise and watch the entire season one and season two and enjoy myself like I like to do. You know what I mean. So I'm asking people to be urgent because it is important, it is necessary, it is needed, and I don't want to be I don't want to feel I feel guilty for feeling hopeless and helpless because there is an answer. We've seen this done before, there is a blueprint. But my call to action is urgency.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it. Thank you be what you got.
Speaker 2: Want people to run for office?
Speaker 9: Man?
Speaker 2: I mean I think the Carrier struck a chord today when she talked about the lack of moral fiber and character of the people who are representing us right now, and a lot of people feel some contempt for Democrats, maybe not having that same issue of a lack of uh moral character or fiber, but just a lack of or courage on our side. So I want more good people to run for office, and don't run for office thinking that you're gonna lose a race and end up on TV, or that you're gonna that you're gonna end up with people. People. People think that they're gonna run for office just so that they, you know, can improve their lot in life. But I want people to run for office because they believe not in politics, but they believe in public service.
Speaker 1: Perceive that what you got now, how you do it.
Speaker 2: That's how you do it? Are it?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 2: You know because I eat that. I hate that. That's an etymology for it. That's eight that you go.
Speaker 4: Man, Is you finished? There? Is you done?
Speaker 2: Done?
Speaker 4: Is you finishing? Okay?
Speaker 3: So mine is And I'm sorry because it's a little more somber. I learned yesterday that a good friend of mine from high school, Aqua Jamal you Moorn, was killed tragically in a motorcycle accident in Dallas, UH this past weekend, and he's forty five years old, and so my my call to action is twofold.
Speaker 4: Please stay off these motorcycles. Please.
Speaker 3: I know that a lot of people find a lot of you know, find it enjoyable, the need for speed, all of that, but y'all, I know too many people close to me who have been tragically hurt or killed.
Speaker 4: In motorcycle accidents. Just stay off of them.
Speaker 3: I know I'm get hail raised from all the people that like the bikes, but I just please, y'all. My other peace is to enjoy every single day like it's your last, you know. Again, watching my mom battle cancer, losing loved ones, it just deepens you into the preciousness of each and every single day. Taking that moment to ask someone you love how they are doing and really waiting to hear their answer is so important, and so I would ask you all to cherish the days you spend and cherish your loved ones on each day.
Speaker 4: Jamal, rest in power.
Speaker 1: Love that I'm sorry for your loss. Sorry, And to the family, of course, my CTA, y'all is one starting with an apology to our listeners that we have just been falling down on questions and remembering to emphasize please, please, please please please record your questions, get them sent over to us. There's so many ways in which you can get them in our hands, and then on the show, we'll make sure we include those in the show notes, so you can go there and get all the email links that you need in order to send that that question in. But we value, we value tremendously the relationship that we have with our listening audience, your fam and it doesn't work when we can't hear from you. So I just want to put in a plea to all of you to if you've got questions, you got comments, but hopefully more questions, that you get those on record and that you get them sent over to us so that we can hear them on the show. If you're thinking it, please believe many, many, many many others out there are thinking it as well, So don't second guess yourself. We know that you have a choice about where you spend your time, and we are extremely honored, privileged, and we take it seriously that you choose to spend a little bit of it with us. So I want to just say, along with my co host, welcome.
Speaker 2: Home, everybody, Welcome home.
Speaker 1: As always, we want to remind everyone to leave us a review and subscribe to Native Lampid. We're available on all podcasts, play platforms and YouTube. You can follow us on social media in substack or check out Native landpod dot com. If you're looking for more shows like ours, check out the other shows on our recent Choice media network, including Politics with Jamil Hill, Off The Cup with se Cup, and Now You Know with Noah de Barasso. We are Angela Rai Bacari Sellers and I'm Andrew Gillam. Thanks again to our co hosts, the incredible Carry Champion. Welcome home, y'all. There are just two hundred and twenty two days too too two until midterm elections.
Speaker 2: Welcome home to the Natives.
Speaker 15: Landing on the podcast space tess and for greatness, sixty minutes is so hit, not too long for the grave shit, high level combo politics in a way that you could taste it then digested. Politics touches you even if you don't touch it. So get invested.
Speaker 1: Cross the t's and doctor I kill them.
Speaker 15: Got them as sellers, staying on business with why you could have been anywhere.
Speaker 6: But to trouse us.
Speaker 15: Native layd Pod is the brand that you can trust.
Speaker 1: Native Flampada is a production of iHeartRadio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.