Speaker 1: I am all in again.
Speaker 2: Oh, I am all in again with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in podcast.
Speaker 1: iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: iHeart Podcast, iHeartMedia. One to eleven productions. One on one interview live at Warner Brothers Studios on the day of the big event, December eighteenth, live podcast in front of thousands of super fans, and I am joined by the illustrious Emily Carota. Missus Kim is in the house. How are you, Emily, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Thank you for inviting me, sir.
Speaker 1: Excited, You're very welcome. Excited. Can you feel the energy here today?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's crazy, It's like twenty years ago.
Speaker 1: It's so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 3: So tell us about, if you don't mind, your first introduction to Gilmore Girls, the script. Do you remember getting the script, reading the script, your reaction to it.
Speaker 1: Yes. When I read.
Speaker 6: When I got the script, I thought I really liked missus Kim because she wasn't stereotypical. But yeah, I thought, I'm so used to like using an accent and everything. So when I went in to meet Amy, I did my Korean accent. She goes, wait a minute, what are you doing, And I said, uh, Korean accent? She goes, no, no, no, she didn't have an accent.
Speaker 4: Really, and yeah, because it was great.
Speaker 6: So Amy was like breaking all the stereotypes from the get go, right, I was right, I said, this is a good show.
Speaker 1: Why so, but you got the accent in.
Speaker 6: No, the accent as actually, she goes, but but you do kind of talk like a general.
Speaker 3: Okay, so it wasn't really an accent, no, so it was removed it and purposes, gotcha, gotcha, that's how her mind works.
Speaker 1: Right, sure, sure, short short.
Speaker 3: Working with Amy, right, dream come dream you know that right, being directed by her saying her words, Dan's words. Yeah, I mean really special, right, we got very lucky.
Speaker 6: And really fast and word perfect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 3: They asked me all the time if I well, how much we got to improv?
Speaker 1: And I just laugh. I said, what's that?
Speaker 3: Well, when you have somebody that good writing, you don't need to improv, you know, but you can.
Speaker 4: Kind of tell because the product was so good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think it was because she had such strict standards.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's get into that.
Speaker 3: Why do you think it has stood the test of time the way it has and continues to grow.
Speaker 6: It's one of the best shows around. I don't know exactly was it's because it's based on reality too. I think it's not catering to Oh, I think the audience will like this. It's it's real stories that comes from it all started from her, her heart, and I think we all felt that, and I think the audience feels it, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very personal stories that she lived or can relate to and wanted to write about. She must have had an interesting upbringing in the valley, huh. I tell you those that Sherman clan, you know, be a fly on the wall there. I understand her father, Alan Sherman was was a top comedian. Oh, that's right, and the house was filled with all of the leading comedians of the day, you know. So she developed a sense of humor in that way. And boy, it's just what a sense of humor that is. I mean, the wit, and that's what I love about the show so much. Tell us about your experience watching the episodes. You watch the episodes, what's your what's your behavior towards the show? Do you actually consume the show?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a there's always a little things that I've missed the first time, and you catch the second time, you know, right. The humor was interesting because we couldn't sit on it. We couldn't you know. Amy would just say, just barrel through it, you know, so you couldn't do normally like in a sitcom. You'd pause and you'd say the gagline and then it would get a response. But the style of the show was so different because we would just barrel through and either the audience gid it or they didn't.
Speaker 1: Right, I don't care, right, right, right?
Speaker 3: Who'd you love working with the most? Not that I'm asking you to pick a favorite, but what I mean, working with Keiko must have been a real pleasure. I find her one of the most unsung, underappreciated actresses in this town. I thought she was just incredibly skilled. Yes, uh, and she worked very deep, Lee and Uh tell us about working with Keiko.
Speaker 4: Oh, Keiko is a dream.
Speaker 6: By the second season, I didn't have to work because we had built this like for her wedding or when I kicked out of the house.
Speaker 4: You know, I just I was so moved. I didn't have to do any preparation.
Speaker 6: Because she became like a daughter to me because everything she does is so honest and real right yeah, not pushed right yea.
Speaker 1: And working with Lauren what was that?
Speaker 6: Like? I love Lauren, She's so quick. Yeah. One time I was late. They said we're ahead of schedule. So I came in and I found out they had rehearsed without me. So we get so, I, you know, get through a makeup and everything, and then I show up on set and she goes, just shoot it. Emily's got it, and we did and then I went home. But she was like she had total trust in all of us, I think, and brilliant.
Speaker 3: What's what's your impression of Adam Brodie? I know you worked really great scenes with him.
Speaker 6: Yeah, here, I don't know. He was one of my favorites. And plus he played the guitar so well.
Speaker 1: Oh did he? I did not know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh really he's a guitar player.
Speaker 4: Okay, got a lot of musicians on this show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 1: Huh Yeah. So what are you working on now?
Speaker 6: I'm doing a workshop in New York in a couple of weeks and then a show in the Bay Area.
Speaker 3: Oh great, great, Greg, Well, good luck with that. Listen, thanks for stopping by, And I think it's time to get ready to go out on stage. We're getting We're getting pretty close there. The troops are gathering out there. There's thousands of them. My god, I just walked from the diner to here, which is you know this used to be the old cake shop, right, Wasn't this a cake shop set?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: So it was like a mob scene out of just fantastic. It's fantastic. The fans are great. Anyway, thanks for coming by. I'll see you out on stage in a minute.
Speaker 1: Okay, Thank you, Ted Rooney.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, Maury is in the house. What's your favorite food?
Speaker 5: Oh boy, a Dues fast food on Sandy Boulevard in Portland, Oregon. This is my second plug. Three years ago on your show, I plugged Dues and the owner thanked me so much.
Speaker 3: Tell us about your first experience with Gilmore Girls. You got the script you read it? Was it an audition and an offer of what happened? How'd you get the show?
Speaker 4: How did we get to fall in love with more?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: My goodness. I read my one page that I got, which was it says Maury plays the piano. Okay, so that was me my preparation for the audition was to play the piano, which I'm a hack, and so I came into the room with no lines and they laughed, and I think that's what booked it, because they saw me standing next to Sally Struthers and they laughed, and then they sat me down to the piano and I played a little bit and they said say this and say that, and I said this and that, and that was it. I walked out of there and I went to Mexico's one week tour of Mexico, and back then didn't have cell phones. My pager went off and I went to a phone and they said, we've been calling you for two days. Man, you've got to come back up here and shoot an episode of And so I left my three week tour of Mexico and shot the first episode I was in, and flew back down and finished the vacation.
Speaker 1: Great story.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a movie like that where the guy goes away and everybody starts in the business starts calling and we've lost several messages.
Speaker 5: We really need to talk to you. We'd love to make it able to get amped up as the messages go.
Speaker 3: To tell you did you get more money as a result of that you have a little more clout going into the negotiation.
Speaker 5: I was just happy to be there, Scot. I was hired from my you know, my skinny build and my height. I'm glad to have done it. I'm so lucky to just show up in my you know, with my hat and my sunglasses and stand there next to Sally.
Speaker 3: And I always envied you because you got to work with Sally all the time, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Sally and our friends and we actually went to the same high school in Portland or right yeah, Grand High School, and she was the big star because of all in the family in the seventies when I was still a kid, she was the big star that came out of Grand High School. So the first day on the set was kind of special because I sat down next to her in the director's chairs and I said something about she said something, oh, it's so hot here, and I'm like, yeah, I know now, like the summer is in Portland. She goes, h are you at Rooney's son? And that was her favorite teacher in high school, my dad, So he had my dad. She had my dad in math class, and she remembered she put Rooney together and she realized at Rooney's son. Yeah, so tell us what it's like working with her. I just think she's brilliant. I think she's the best actress out there. Oh well, she can do anything. She's amazing. She's got the energy and the humor. But she also was kind of my caretaker. She kind of looked after me and made sure that I you know, yeah, she's real sweetheart. You needed looking after I did well. I would always forget to put my glasses on, and so she in my mind at that, and actually no, she actually.
Speaker 1: Was like, take your glasses off.
Speaker 5: Your eyes are so beautiful, don't they won't notice?
Speaker 1: Take your glasses off?
Speaker 5: And then some way to come by, Ted, could you put your glasses on? Please?
Speaker 1: So it's always positive with her, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It's just like super sunny and great and laughter and she just lots of stories.
Speaker 1: She makes you happy to be.
Speaker 5: She's a bit of that, you know. Uh, comes from that old school in vaudeville kind of training and lots of stories, So lots of Hollywood stories. There was always some good story I could get.
Speaker 1: What's your most memorable guild more moment.
Speaker 5: With because for a couple of reasons, but because me and Babbett were on It's It's early on, and we have a little romantic moment on the steps there and in front of our house, the house they built for us, and they finished the interior and everything amazing thing. We had a little moment, a little romantic moment, and Sam Phillips wrote the music specifically for that moment. So when I met Sam Phillips at the Christmas party that year, she said, I wrote that for you guys, And I was like, because she had been one of my favorite singer songwriters for twenty years and it was phenomenal to have a writer like that. Right, the backs led the sound for a little kiss moment like that. Yeah, so that was very special.
Speaker 1: Right? Who else did you love working with the most?
Speaker 5: Every once in when I'd see Sean and we would talk about theater, you know. Yeah, by the way, I'm sorry, I'm not Kirk. I wish I could be here. But where is Sean? Why he shot that Walmart commercial with you guys?
Speaker 1: Yes, where is he? Sean?
Speaker 3: He's off in Guardians of the Galaxy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like Marvel movies. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well we were both two kind of oddball, skinny guys, and so I think we kind of hit it off right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, two eccentric characters delivering the humor for the fan base. You get recognized a lot. It is weird us about that. It is so weird.
Speaker 5: Well, on the plane over, my son is so is with me. He was so embarrassed because this woman just stood there. I don't know where she came from, but.
Speaker 4: Are you Ted Rooney?
Speaker 5: Yes? And so she was, you know, gushing there and stopping traffic in the island. One of the one of the attendants had to make her sit down, and she while she was focused on was me and the fact that she was going to be here too at the event. So she was so thrilled about it. And that's it's just a little weird. On a red eye to Chicago, it was two in the morning and I was finding some place to sleep out of sleeping bag and three Australian girls come out of nowhere. The place is empty and there they're rabid fans. You know, I've the Australian girls. They come in three.
Speaker 1: What is that? What's going on with that? I've had extra nights you deean, you two.
Speaker 3: It's always always always a strands in threes usually yeah.
Speaker 5: Ah, yeah, it's good to take advantage of the opportunity. Yeah, smart guy.
Speaker 1: Does that mean we have a hecklor off stage? He's actually been loving and speaking here.
Speaker 5: Got in Uh yeah, what placement.
Speaker 1: I'll look at that. Yeah, I got one. Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is a gift to the cast about twenty years gifts every year. You know, I thought i'd wear that.
Speaker 3: I used to wear that stuff to the gym, the hoodies and all that. I didn't care i'd get laughed at. But then I you know, I dropped the weights on my foot and leaving tears, you know that.
Speaker 1: Kind of thing. Ted, it's been a blast. We got to get back.
Speaker 3: Out on the live stage now to do that. I think they're you know, they're giving us the signal.
Speaker 5: I did want to mention tell Yes, twenty one Theater, Portland, Oregon is my theater company that I started up three years ago. We're thriving and we do great work. And I just had to mention that I live in Portland, Oregon.
Speaker 1: Thank fantastic.
Speaker 3: Go see Ted at the twenty one to ten Theater. He's a fantastic guy, a fantastic actor. Thank you for your time, my friends.
Speaker 5: On Stuy see out there, buddy, all right.
Speaker 1: Everybody off again.
Speaker 3: Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In Podcast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.