Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode can date spoilers for Plurists episode three.
Speaker 2: They're Grenade. Be warned.
Speaker 1: Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and on Merseay Night and welcome back to extra.
Speaker 2: Visions of podcast. Will be divetue to your favorite shows. Move becomes pot culture call we ye our prodcucts. We're ready three episodes weekday.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, it's Pluribus episode three, we will be recapping it and then bringing Ian in to join.
Speaker 4: The combo and a quick production note.
Speaker 3: Guys, remember this holiday season we are sharing some stocking stuffer episodes. With so many great shows, movies and TV thinger the Jiggy's coming out these next few months. These episodes will help us cover some extra content we wouldn't be able to get on our normal episodes, So stay tuned for our stocking stuffers starting the week Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Okay, episode three The Grenade. We open somewhere very very very cold.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: In the past years in the past, two thousand, six hundred and seventeen days in the past to be to be exact seven years, thank you, seven years before the outbreak in one of those ice hotels like in Norway or Scandinavia, somewhere Caroly and Helen are checking in being shown to their room, the Koi suite. It is, of course, very fucking cold. Carol is looking very suspiciously at all of this and is clearly not sold on the idea the experience, the whole thing. Helen is couldn't be more enthused. Is really really blown away, And you know, look at the ice sculptures, aren't they Maybe the ice sculptures.
Speaker 2: Were really quite striking.
Speaker 4: It was very beautiful, and.
Speaker 1: You know, as the scene goes on, it's very clear like Carol hates this or is most of the way to fully hating, while Helen is like, this is so cool, this is awesome, Like can't you just chill out, Helen. We learn talk to someone named Val, who we don't know who she is yet, and learned from Val probably their publicist or their book editor or you know whoever their direct connection is with the publisher that Carol's latest book is on the bestseller list. It's on the New York Times bestseller list. Where on the list Carol wants, specifically where top twenty? Well, is it closer to twenty or is.
Speaker 2: It like more like eleven?
Speaker 1: And Helen doesn't want to specify, but stresses to Carol, like, listen, you're a bestseller. You can credibly say I'm a best selling author.
Speaker 2: Enjoy that.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about where specifically, look at the northern lights through this ice skylight and just enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Very clear from this that Carol cannot enjoy anything, and even before I mean this is to show us like she is always she even when she was with someone she loved, she struggled to enjoy it.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that more later, because I think that that this scene shows an acknowledgment of something about Carol that m hm. Very clearly Vince Gilligan and the creators and the people writing the show understand. And I'm interested. It's interested to see the balance they strike me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 3: In the present day post hive mind, Carol is flying somewhere with Zosha. Zosha wonders, well, why don't you want to stay in first class? We got the whole plane. Carol is, of course, sat at the back, next to the toilet, in the worst seat on the plane. Carol decides the best way to spend this time is to grill Zosha on all the non English speaking individuals who are immune to the virus that she has not yet met. Carol is interested, are they like, is any of them doctors or scientists? And then there's the guy from Paraguay, who I feel like is gonna definitely be a massive part of this story, yes, who they just didn't know about for thirty six hours and will not pick up the phone and is not at any point been in contact with the hive mine.
Speaker 4: So she's like, this seems like we should just try him.
Speaker 3: Obviously, Carol decides she's gonna do that, and she's like, fuck it, and Zosha says, j you want us to translate you? Nope, She's fine, calls up. Carol speaks bad Spanish, she calls her hor and hangs up.
Speaker 4: She calls back and.
Speaker 3: Is like, fuck your mum, asshole and setting up a great friendship there.
Speaker 4: Clearly.
Speaker 3: Carolyn goes to the bathroom tied out. I really did like this scene. I felt like this is one of the strongest scenes in the episode because the episode is all about this vast space that she is now inhabiting as like one of the only people. Because we don't really know where other people are unless they are there. What theyreserve Carol doing like ups is working if Carol needs it, or the airplane is working if Carol needs it.
Speaker 4: But anyone can do those jobs, so we don't know where most people are.
Speaker 3: So I love this scene where she's just trying to be in the smallest space possible.
Speaker 4: Away from them.
Speaker 3: Eventually, you know, Soosha drops her back at the house, so she gives her her mail. There is a box and there is a bill with Helen's name on it, again telling us more about this obviously incredibly close relationship. And finally she opens the box and it is a parra gun.
Speaker 1: Carol calls Zosha regarding the box, and I was like, what's up with this box? What's up with the thera gun? And this the theragun is from a conversation that she had with Helen before the end of tour, basically saying, oh, I love that thing, and you know.
Speaker 4: They tried it out and like it.
Speaker 1: They tried it out, Yeah, but Helen didn't get a chance to order it for her and had intended to. And so now the hive mind has done it for Helen, who is part of them, right. Carol flips out but manages to keep it you know, below the level of fritzing out the entire hive mind. And she's like, listen, I order you delete everything you know about Helen. Don't stop using Helen's thoughts and memories to do anything for me.
Speaker 2: I don't want that.
Speaker 1: She takes a bunch of pills. She's watching The Golden Girls when the doorbell rings and it's a room service platter brought by the hive mind. Carol is mad about it, feeling like she does want to be infantalized by this highlind Right.
Speaker 2: She calls Zosha A Zosha says, do you recognize it?
Speaker 1: It's like the same meal that you guys had at this bed and breakfast in Provincetown from a specific memory of you and Helen on vacation in Provincetown. And again Carol's upset. It is like, didn't I tell you to stop using Helen's memories? Did I tell you that? And she's like, listen, leave me alone, and then.
Speaker 2: She throws up the room service.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back as we continue.
Speaker 4: To cover her purpose.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: So now Helen needs dinner because she threw out the room service. So she goes to Sprouts, but the place is like stripped, totally gone, stripped.
Speaker 3: Bear everything's there that needs to be there to run a Sprouts, but there are no products products they want, no fruit, no produce, nothing.
Speaker 1: So she calls Zosha's like, Zosh, what the fuck is up at this? And she said, well, you know, like obviously the world runs differently now, right, and so we've kind of centralized our food supplies for more efficient distribution across the country. And Carol's like, well, fuck that shit. Open my fucking sprouts, man, open it up. Like when should I come back in two days or like a day. She's in the store making this call on the landline. It's like, so when should I come back, like next week?
Speaker 2: Two days?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: And Soosha's like, no, no, no, we're coming now.
Speaker 1: She goes outside and the trucks are pulling up right then.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, crazy stuff And we see the whole store go from empty to set up in about twenty minutes. Then Carol goes shopping and returns time to watch Golden Girls. I do have to make quick just brief commentary here, guys. I would never be upset about people giving me free groceries.
Speaker 4: I think she's too upset about it.
Speaker 3: I'm like, if I could have my own sprouts and they set it up for twenty minutes, I would at least have a tiny wonder in my eye. And I do think this is an issue that we are going to have going on with this show unless we learn some more about Carol, and we'll talk about that more.
Speaker 4: But yees specifically, like this is actually miraculous. It's not good. It's still creepy.
Speaker 3: They're doing it because they're a high mind, but like, who doesn't want free food? It's inflation, guys. She doesn't look like she's been doing great, Like I feel like she would be a little bit more excited about being able to eat. But yeah, she goes home, watches Golden Girls with her many groceries, and then her lights go out, and this is very interesting because she looks outside and then all the other lights are out.
Speaker 4: Then her lights go back on, but it's just lights.
Speaker 3: And you're starting to get more of a feeling now that they need the electricity for something, like what is their plan?
Speaker 4: It seems like maybe they want our resources.
Speaker 3: Zosia calls anyway, before we can get too into our theories or Carol can and she's like, hey, it was a mistake.
Speaker 4: Turned off your lights. The conservation.
Speaker 3: Everyone's lights will be on in like a staggered pattern, except for yours. Your power will be on whenever you want it. And is there anything that can make you happy? Like what can we do? That's all we care about. And Carol has a simple answer, because she's an angry woman.
Speaker 4: She says, a hand grenade.
Speaker 3: Okay, she's drink or drink or drink, you take your pills, puts golden girls back on, and of course thinks there will never be a hand grenade.
Speaker 4: She was being.
Speaker 1: Sarcasticck Sosha's car pulls up and she's got the grenade. She brought it, even though she was like we well, we weren't sure if you were serious, but you did ask for us, so we brought it. So Carol invites Soshian for a drink and she wants to know, like, okay, like if you get drunk the hive mind get drunk, how does that work? AND's like no, no, no, don't worry about that. Carol by bye, by the way, at this point is surely blasted. She's been throwing them back for pails.
Speaker 4: She's crossed.
Speaker 2: It's not good.
Speaker 1: And Zosha's like dropping crazy fun facts like a vodka and spirits, like did you know vodka is actually a shortened version for.
Speaker 2: The word for water in She's just dropping crazy, crazy, crazy cool.
Speaker 4: Wikipedia friend to have Zosia and the like I get it.
Speaker 1: So Carol wants to know how long she's got before the hive mind figures out how to assimilate her, and she's like, well, it could be could be as short as weeks, and could be as long as many months.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're working.
Speaker 1: On it around the clock, but clearly they're stumped. And Carol's like, yeah, but I don't want to be part of the hive mind, Like can't we just get that through our heads?
Speaker 2: Like I don't want it, And so.
Speaker 1: She's like, listen, I feel really bad about that, and I acknowledge your resistance and you're the fact that you object to this, but we do have a biological imperative, like we actually genetically can't not.
Speaker 2: Do that's what we do, you know.
Speaker 1: So Zosha argues that Carol needs this essentially like listen, you're doing terribly, like you're depressed, you're sad time you're doing pills. You don't know how to deal with your negative emotions, your trauma, your depression. That was the case before all of this, and it's certainly the case even more now. By assimilating you, we'll be saving you, like we'll be saving you and the best parts of you from being destroyed by the worst parts of you. Carol is you know, of course she's like angry and drunken on pills, and so it's hard for her to receive this information from a hive mind. Also, like what's your You've just mentioned you have a by illogical imperative to assimilate me, so it's not like you're gonna be unbiased about this. And she begins monologue and Carol does about like all the places that she's experienced in her life that you know, and she talks about the Ice Hotel and Zosha finishes off, Oh yes, the Ice Hotel. The memory, and Carol like flips and she's like, I told you Helen's memories off limits. Stop doing that, and she gets really mad. She picks up the grenade, she pulls up pin oh, and like.
Speaker 5: This is She's like, that's oh sorry, no, no, no, It's just really funny because after she fiddles with the grenade, Zosh's like what they all wait a second, and Carol's pissed, like they gave her a fake grenade.
Speaker 3: But Carol just doesn't know how grenade works. So then Zosha jumps up, grabs it, throws out the window. It fucking explodes the whole front of her house. We get very breaking bad esque scene of this kind of mansion space in Albuquerque that's like on fire and the cars are on fire, and Carol like wanders out and shock. Zosha tries to follow her, but we see that her back is all fucked up from the shrapnel. I will say Carol actually does seem like she is upset and cares about this. In the moment she covers Zosha's back she tries to stop the bleeding. It's one of the first moments we really get her to see Carol being like an emotional kind of human being with connections. Carol then, you know, finds out luckily that Zosha is fine. She does have a concussion, which could interestingly bring some some theories into the conversation. When we bring an ian in a minute and via a handy delivery driver. Carol asks like, why did you give me the hand grenade? And she is kind of shocked to learn from this conversation that as long as she says it will make her happy, they will just give her whatever weapon she wants. They will give her a gun, they will give her a tank, they will give her a bazuka, they will give her whatever goes in a berzukra and has shot out a missile. She asks like, and she even asks if they will give her a nuke, and although they don't want to give it to her, they essentially admit that, yeah, we'll bring you a new if you need one.
Speaker 4: Which also which you know how to even set it off? I don't know. But basically, after what seems to be a pretty slow.
Speaker 3: Very small in scope episode, you get this huge explosion and then this realization from Carol that I'm guessing she can become essentially like a warlord and just take them down. That seems like what she wants to do, but also seems like it would be a huge jump. But I'm interested to see where this goes once again, and an intriguing end.
Speaker 2: Very intriguing.
Speaker 1: Let's take a quick break and welcome in and then discuss this episode, and we are back. We're talking about episode three of Plour of Us. Let's now bring in super producer Ian to discuss this episode.
Speaker 4: Hello, how's it go?
Speaker 2: What do you think of this episode?
Speaker 6: I like the episode overall. It's not as not as spicy as the first two episodes, but I mean, I think by nature, the first two episodes were so insane and fantastical, especially just setting up the whole premise that this next episode was gonna be kind of maybe pumping the brakes a little bit. But I think that still had some really great moments and raise some interesting questions, like the sprout scene, that whole montage where they the trucks come in and they restock the store and you get to see like the peak like coordination and efficiency of the hive mind. Like, I thought that was a really fantastic sequence and scene. And I think the flashback at the beginning and the Ice Hotel gives us a little bit more insight into Carol as a person a character. Yeah, you know, she's always been like this, so there's there's something about her that I think maybe, you know, the reason that she might be immune may have something to do with you know her having like this even from the beginning. Maybe we'll learn more about that as the show goes on.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 4: I think that that's true.
Speaker 3: I would also see in something I thought was really cool that you noted was the way that when Helen died, she essentially loses any connection to anyone else in her life before the virus. I also wonder if that's part of it.
Speaker 6: Right, because all the other survivors have their family members or someone that they care about to still tether them to, you know, what life was like before the virus, and that they obviously still care about those people they don't want anything bad to happen to them. But Carol doesn't have anyone.
Speaker 4: So they'll go along with it exactly.
Speaker 6: But she doesn't really have anything to make her think like, oh, there's there's some positive to this, you know. But I also do think it's interesting that clearly she is starting to form some kind of attachment to Zosha. Clearly cares about her well being to some degree, Like when she got her, she tried to help her and save her. She wanted her to come with her instead of going on to Air Force One. She even invites her in a drink with her, like you know, so she's there is some kind of bond or connection there, So it'll be interesting to see how that continues to develop. But yeah, what did you guys think about the episode?
Speaker 4: It raised some issues.
Speaker 1: I liked this episode, although I think there are some issues. I think for me, the cold open is interesting literally cold actually physically cold open because it it it sets up the thesis of the show in a really interesting way, which is like, okay, the everything at your fingertips, but you're the our hero is like can literally can't be happy with anything. She can't be happy on vacation with the person she loves staring at the northern lights. She can't be happy when she's on the bestseller list because she's not number one on the best seller list.
Speaker 2: Right, nothing is going to make.
Speaker 1: Her feel as if she's worthy enough, she's good enough, what she's doing is enough, and so of course you're not gonna be happy with this. That said, there were multiple times during this episode, and that happened in the previous episodes to where I'm like, man, you're not going to solve this shit overnight.
Speaker 4: Like chill out, you know, like have a little bit more realism.
Speaker 1: Enjoy it a little bit like yeah, I'm not saying you need to get a harem, you know what I yeah, yeah, yeah, but you know, like whatever, enjoy it, like go see.
Speaker 2: Go to a spa like relax it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't go call in one of the hive mind and be like tell me what everything that we knew about at UFOs, like do fun stuff?
Speaker 2: You know actual.
Speaker 4: You know what conspiracies are true or not?
Speaker 2: Everyone has that stuff.
Speaker 4: People have a bat. Yeah, all of that.
Speaker 1: Stuff is at your fingertips. And again, you're not going to fix the world overnight, so don't try to. And I do wonder, if I do wonder how this show will strike the balance of centering a character that is kind of like unlikable, is it irascable?
Speaker 2: Is frustrating? Is like not ever going to be be happy with things? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was also the success of Breaking Bad, right, so we get why he's back here again, you know, but I definitely did have a similar feeling to Jason. I also spoke to some friends who are just kind of, you know, average like TV watchers, who wanted to check it, and they liked it and they were intrigued, but even by the second episode, they were finding Carol a little bit hard to like to follow or root for or kind of even understand.
Speaker 4: Like what her motives are.
Speaker 3: You know, I'm doing a screenwriting class right now. We talk a lot about the what, like what is her want? Like, I don't know what it is, but I'm guessing it's going to be to destroy the high mind, very traditional, classical sife I want. So I'm down, but I do feel like maybe this is a bit of an extreme shift for people who are not, you know, already fully sold because it's a really quiet episode. I also don't know if for me the writing is up to that one hundred percent quality that I need if I'm in like a bottle episode with just two people, you know, I feel like it wasn't fully there, But I do still I'm very interested. I want to know more about this. I also did think on a rewatch this morning, I was really feeling this notion of like this kind of is about We've talked a lot about algorithms and kind of this idea of complacency and comfort and how that can take away your initiative or even just your enjoyment of like you know that famous letter where it's the it's.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: It's one of those iconic, you know, old guy authors like William Burrows or someone like that, but not the one who killed his wife, but one of those guys I'm talking about, Like.
Speaker 4: Oh, I.
Speaker 3: Love going to buy stamps because I go out and when I buy stamps, I meet a person who is at the shop and I get to speak to someone and I pick up a treat on the way home.
Speaker 4: This is about how algorithms.
Speaker 3: And the notion of like ease can take that away from you. But I felt like this episode had a really interesting thing to say about basically right now, what Carol is dealing with is like if somebody you know dies and then your phone is constantly serving up those weird movies with emotional music behind them, and they're like best summer of your life, but it's like the year they died or something like. She's kind of living through that experience of they're trying to please her and understand how to connect with her emotionally, but it's just not working. I thought that was pretty cool thematic thread through this episode.
Speaker 1: I will also say that I felt as if, obviously the show the themes and the kind of ideas that this show is grappling with really interesting you know, whether it's.
Speaker 2: AI, the way AI has.
Speaker 1: Influenced our daily lives, the way we shop, the way we ask questions, the kind of instant, teneous gratification of like the Amazon economy. If I can get something right away that whatever you want, you can get it. I'll just can see, Yeah, I can see a movie, I can get a product, I can watch more like whatever it is exactly. And this was the first episode where I was like, Okay, I know it's about that, but we know, like you're making it too obviously that it's about that from and I will be interested to see how they balance it. That said, now, some interesting mysteries I think were kind of sprinkled throughout, one being this gentleman, this Paraguay gentleman. Oh sorry, were you going to say something.
Speaker 6: In yeah, just to kind of piggyback off of what Rosie was saying before we move on. You know about Carol being increasingly unlikable as the series goes on, which I think we'll learn more about why that happens. But I think going back to that sprout scene, I understand her defiance of like not wanting to eat the food, and she wants to shop for herself and stop making dishes from my memories. Which is funny that even though she's like stop thinking about Helen and her memories, they still have the memories of every other person she's ever interacted with, so like, oh, we know your coffee order because we know the barista's memories and we remember you love this breakfast and whatever. So it's like, no matter what, she can't escape from it. But I feel like when I was watching that Sprout scene where she was like, I want my sprouts back. I just want to shop for myself. I was like, low key, you're being like kind of selfish, straightness.
Speaker 5: Sanely selfish, and I think.
Speaker 6: You're gonna have them stock this entire store for you just to like buy some like frozen dinners. Because when it cuts back to her eating, she just had like a TV dinner. She'd even like make her food.
Speaker 1: And to your point, it's like the food is packaged out of your site, is harvested out of your site. The idea that like somehow because you are making it at home, you frosting it at home. Yeah, this guards you from whatever virus is out there.
Speaker 2: That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Also, they she should cook the she should eat the cook food they cook for Aaron.
Speaker 4: This is one of his biggest takes away.
Speaker 3: And I agree because like she's drinking the water at any point, if they wanted to do this non consensually to they could of and they're trying to. But like, eating the food from them that they cook for you is no different than eating the nasty prepackaged meal that they could have injected food, like something into. And I do agree with you, Ian, like why couldn't she just have been like, hey, can you bring me a bag of groceries?
Speaker 4: Like I get it, aliens have taken over her whole planet. But yeah, she's a She's definitely, I think he.
Speaker 3: I think Vince would probably loved tar Us having this conversation because I'm sure him and Re talked consistently about like how far can you push like an unlikable woman on TV and.
Speaker 4: In a story like this.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I definitely I need to know more. I need to know the one. I need to know something.
Speaker 6: If you think about it, this whole scenario is essentially like her personal hell. She's already like the most like cantankerous, angry person, and then she realizes, like, I can't be angry, I'm gonna kill a bunch of people, So she has to like keep her shit under wraps. And it's like this is literally like her personal help.
Speaker 4: I like that read.
Speaker 3: So she's having to be unselfish in some ways, but the selfishness is still there. I mean, yeah, she needs to start thinking about these people, and I'm hoping she will post the grenade with Zosha. She needs to start realizing those are still human beings in like human bodies at least, you know, whatever hive mind situation there is, and she is essentially currently using them as servants.
Speaker 4: You know, let's start there. And yeah, it's not.
Speaker 6: Especially if she's trying to save them from the high mind. It's like they're gonna be regular people again after that.
Speaker 4: Isn't that the point?
Speaker 6: Isn't that the point? So, like what.
Speaker 3: I wonder if the art is gonna be in its own way after this conversation, a relatively simple one, which is simply like that journey of going from I want to destroy everything to realizing like, oh maybe there's some stuff I shouldn't destroy, you know, which I think for angry people is a really and people have sort of struggled with severe depression like I have, like the feeling of hopelessness and the void and there's no one out there for you. It can be changed simply by just like having a nice cup of tea with your friends and you're like, ah, life's worth living again. I wish I fucking had left my house six months before this or whatever. And I think I would love to see her go on that journey. We don't expect Carol to become like the world's nicest person, that's not the point. But I would love to see her have some kind of personal growth on this journey.
Speaker 1: For sure. That must happen, right, because I do think this very clearly. The show is asking you to be critical of her, you know, it's showing you moments from her life where she just can't be She can't She's mean.
Speaker 4: To the people who read her books.
Speaker 2: She's so them.
Speaker 4: She doesn't respect herself.
Speaker 2: Even like the sprouts thing is.
Speaker 1: So Boomerish in it's like in the way that she's clinging to this idea that she could somehow.
Speaker 2: Isolate herself from the virus by.
Speaker 3: And ignore all this bad stuff that's happening to other people if she can keep her normal life going.
Speaker 4: That's actually pretty deep.
Speaker 5: So.
Speaker 2: She must.
Speaker 1: All of which is to say there there will be some personal growth because there she's gonna learn how to how to use the mechanisms of the Hive Mind in a way that will will better allow her to fulfill I guess some sort of vision that is to free people from this.
Speaker 3: I think, actually, you guys are sparking something in my head where I think part of what we're seeing right now is her inability to enjoy it and her inability to have somebody they can bribe her with, like, oh, your family's already here, Helen's already here. That doesn't work. She knows she saw Helen die. It's gonna be harder for them to find a way to get her to do it. So I think that is going to also be like the growth is by the end, does she have someone in her life that she would be willing to join the Hive Mind four, which gives out even more reason to fight for them to do.
Speaker 2: I think there's also.
Speaker 1: There's an interesting thing here of it's not the show is not inviting you to ask Carol to surrender, but it's also for me asking you to wonder if, like what odds, at what odds are a battle worth fighting? Like the entire world is this way? Okay, you don't like it, it's wrong on probably several different levels. But everybody, literally everybody who is alive, is part of this and agrees with what's going on. So do you care about their opinion or do you care about yours? How much can you change a world that you don't agree with? And how much should you try and change a world that you don't agree with? I think all those things are really interesting. Yeah, let's talk about because I do think that the show gives us, like a breadcrumb that it might be possible with this guy from Paraguay.
Speaker 4: That's definitely well.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that it took them thirty six hours to find him leads you to believe that maybe he was under the influence of the hive mind but got out of it somehow, and got out of it in a way that is so quirky, weird and uncommon that only one this only happened once. Like, it's not like a Felon hit, because if it was the zosia thing with a concussion that could bring you out of it, how many people in the world probably had concussion from just like four when it had Yeah, yeah, five hundred million, right it like, so there should be a lot of a lot of people if it was that. So it's got to be such a weird set of circumstances that allowed him to escape.
Speaker 2: And I can't.
Speaker 1: Wait to because we literally have no information, but I feel like it must be that. What is your thoughts about this guy and what it portends for the story?
Speaker 6: Well, based on that phone call, we can tell he's also kind of like an angry, cantankerous son of a bitch, So I do think there is something to that thread where like all the people that immune, there's some character trait or something about them that predisposes them to being immune. So I think we can tell from the phone call he's skeptical, doesn't want anything to do with the hive mind, he's an angry son of a bitch, So I think there's gonna be something there with that.
Speaker 1: Ian yes to push back, I thought about that too, but like, how many cantankerists, angry niche people that you can't satisfy are there, Like it's gotta be even.
Speaker 6: More's be something deeper than that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so interested in what it is because I do think the Paraguay guy is the wrinkle I'm living for right now, because I do think he could be a NASA librarian or archivist who's kind of had always thought about something like this, or he could be a prepper, or he could be a conspiracy theorist, or he could just be someone who's a survivalist. He could be a homeless guy, and that's why they could find him, because he's not like easily, he doesn't have a lot of interconnected personal you know, ways that people can remember.
Speaker 4: Him or recall him. So I'm I'm most interested for that.
Speaker 3: I would love for episode four to be focused on him, or at least give us a little bit more insight there, because I can imagine it's probably gonna be an interesting casting and they'll probably drop him near the end of the season, but I would like to know more about that sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: I think it's got Yeah, it's gotta be like genetically predisposed to being immune, plus some fluky weird set of He was tying his shoe while eating bubble while chewing bubble gum while thinking about this, while like touching his eye with his like pinky finger, and some weird, very very rare fluky combination of all those things allowed him to like snap out of it. And we're gonna that, I'm guessing is gonna be careful.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 4: I'm very how did you do it?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: What happened? Do you remember what happens?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: That makes so much sense.
Speaker 3: And then together they're trying to work out how they can snap people out of it.
Speaker 4: That's going to be really interesting.
Speaker 3: And how much of it are they going to be able to get done in season one because they already approved season two?
Speaker 4: True?
Speaker 2: So how many you'll go ahead?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Anything good?
Speaker 6: I think. Another interesting thing to that we kind of briefly touched on, but I want to talk about a little bit more, is you know this compulsion that the high mind has to assimilate everyone. They keep saying it's it's a biological directive. We like have to do it, We're compelled to do it. And even though Carol's like, but you say, my life is my own, you know, but how long? And once you figure it out? Like what then you know?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 6: And and that drowning metaphor that Zosha used, I think is really interesting because from their perspective, it's almost like an act of compassion, like we're trying to help you, We're trying to save you, Like why wouldn't you want to be a part of this? But it still has that sinister undertone of like gonna get this work no matter what. So it's like I just yeah, how they balance that will be interesting to see, you know.
Speaker 3: Well, I think the biggest thing is is like, there's so it's such, it's an it's a fantastically simple, out there concept.
Speaker 4: But now we're already three episodes. We're only three episodes.
Speaker 3: In, and I already need to know more about law. I need to know more about how it happens. I need to know more about what is driving people. I need to know either I either need to know what's driving the Hive Mind or what striving But either way, what's the want? And yeah, and I'm I'm unclear, but I'm still vibing.
Speaker 1: Do we have any theories about the end goal of the Hive Mind?
Speaker 2: I have one. Here's my is this is there is a.
Speaker 1: Uh, some sort of being. Maybe it's like a supercomputer, right, some kind of space super AI that was built by other creatures.
Speaker 2: Or whatever.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, like a supreme intelligence or some kind of thing, an alien something. And the way it reproduces is by seating this RNA virus to other biological so that they can, as one mass harness a planet's entire like resource tree to build another one to make another one that and then it bursts another baby super computer and then it keeps spreading like fantastic.
Speaker 4: Honestly, that would be such a brilliant way.
Speaker 2: But I feel like we'll never find out.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like it's gonna be one of those where Vince is gonna never really tell us what is behind all this.
Speaker 2: Do you have a theory in.
Speaker 6: I mean, I was thinking something similar, you know. I think, yeah, once everyone is fully assimilated, they're just gonna, like you said, use all the resource on the planet to continue spreading this virus from world to world to what end. I'm still kind of unsure what like they could possibly want with that, but yeah, I was thinking something similar. I'd be very curious to see, like, yeah, like once everyone is assimilar, like then what you know, because they.
Speaker 3: Use them to terraform the planet so that other aliens can come. Jason, I like your idea where it's more about just creating entire planets of people to just build more supercomputers that have this, you know, ability to run because we know how much water and memory and energy they take. So I think, I think that's a really cool and I think it's gonna be hard to top that.
Speaker 1: Well, a very fun show to talk about. I can't wait to keep watching it. Coming up on the next episode of x ra Vision, we're diving into it Welcome to Dairy, episode four recapping Stranger Things season four two shows that if you like one, you'll probably like the other. And then we're off to see the Wizard with our Wicked for Good, the sequel to Wicked coming out soon, our coverage of Wicked for Good. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, Bye bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason SEPs Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcast.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are just Al Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman, and Heidi our discord moderator,