Speaker 1: Hi, everybody. Welcome to another edition of Packers Unscripted from Packers dot Com. I am Mike Spafer, joint as always by my trusted colleague West Hodkowitz. We're coming to you here from the Potawatamie Sportsbook Studio inside the walls of lambeau Field and West. We've got a lot of ground to cover since our last show because there has been Family Night, there's been a couple of other padded practices, there's the preseason opener on the way in Pittsburgh. But I think the conversation today starts with this. Over the last handful of days, we have seen two distinct competitions starting competitions developing within this training camp. One at cornerback, one at right guard on the offensive line. I'll let you start wherever you'd like, but both of those are very intriguing, and neither one appears close to being decided. I.
Speaker 2: My heart of hearts, wants to start at the right guard position, but you wrote a wonderful story on Jacob Monk and I and the main reason I want to say this, I'm going to transition over to cornerbacks. But I've been so impressed by what Monk has done. This is a guy that he reminds me so much of that Lane Taylor type where the Packers put a fifth round pick into him and they wanted him. This is a guy they really were desiring coming out of Duke. He played a bunch of ball there. Yeah, you know, over those COVID seasons, I think he was like I want to say, like sixty two games or something like that. And it's just like every single time it appears like he's on the cusp of like maybe contending for a starting position. Something happens last year in training camp ended up being the hamstring takes him out half the season. Then you go to this past offseason, as you wrote about the biceps injury that he finished last year with that wipes him out of the offseason program. Right, But his body, the way he's built and for that guard position, I just think there's so many things that translate there. Well, maybe I'll just transfer this over to you because you did a nice job of surmising that and just kind of what why Jacob Monk has suddenly entered the chat now in regards to that starting right guard job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for those who want to check out the details the story is posted on packers dot com and had an interesting conversation with Jacob and a couple of other reporters. And you know, he's not getting caught up in all of this, like, Oh, he's running with the ones and he's got a shot at a starting job. I mean he when I asked him about basically, hey, what do you think of this opportunity in front of you? Like they're running you with the first team offense at right guard on a regular basis now so you can see what's in front of you. And his answer was just a reflection of everything he's gone through with the hamstring and the biceps injuries, like I'm just grateful to be out on the field. You know, he really just has this gratitude for where he is right now because of everything he's gone through. Everything we've heard from the coaching staff, they absolutely love the way this young man plays. You can't get into, you know, one sentence of an answer from a coach on this coaching staff without the word play style coming up with regard to Monk, he is quick off the ball, he is tenacious. He doesn't play to the whistle, he plays through the whistle. I mean, it's He's the embodiment of what how they'd like everybody to play out there on the field, and that's why he's made the strides that he has. As of right now, I would say he's ahead of Anthony Belton for the starting right guard job, but don't write off Anthony Belton. This thing is not over. You know, this is a young guy, a second year pro, a second round draft pick a year ago, who is a mountain of a man, and he's going to get his opportunities to play in the preseason and shore up some of the things that you know, some of the rough days that he's had in training camp so far. So this is a long way from over. And I'm not ruling out Jagger Burton either, the rookie out of Kentucky. Now, he's been taking a lot of first team snaps at left guard because Aaron Banks is not yet better back into eleven on eleven reps, but I think he is kind of in this competition as well. He missed a little bit of time early in training camp because of the hamstring, but he got back out there pretty quickly. And again, the preseason games are going to be a big time proving ground for a young guy like that.
Speaker 2: It's such a great point, Mike. I think there were so many people that want to pencil in a starting five at the starting training camp, and this is what I was guilty of it too.
Speaker 1: I'll say it. I was guilty of it as well. But sometimes it doesn't necessarily go that way. And you're reminded the way this played out that if Jacob Monk had not had the hamstring injury that kept him out almost like into October last year when they needed a new right guard when Sean Ryan had to play center for Elton Jenkins, Monk might have gotten that shot, but they gave it to Belton because he had been there all along and he wasn't coming off of an injury. So it's just the way these things fall sometimes, and now maybe things might be taken a different direction.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and credit to Anthony too, because I mean he's taken on this tab of trying to play right guard head on, as is a guy that did not do it. At NC State. He was a right tackle. That was his spot. He played against really good competition, but that was his home. So now he's kind of been in a little bit of this limbo spot where obviously still factoring into the right guard thing. But now that Zach Baku Boele I almost said Tom Baku Boele is back in the lineup and taking team reps again, as we've seen this past week. Now you have Belton sort of rotating in for him with the first team unit in that spot after Zach takes usually the first first two snaps. I think it's been a team and then transitions out, so everybody's still in this competition. But I thought you raised a salient point too about Jacob Burton, because this guy would not be in the conversation for a starting spot with all of these various people competing for these positions if he wasn't showing the pack or something right away as a rookie. I think he maximized those reps that he took in the off season program. He's having a chance right now to work at left guard with Aaron Banks still sort of getting worked back into team periods. He's been obviously on a little bit of a maintenance program with his knee. But Burton's a guy man. I've said it time and time again. When you look at the starting five, you need the chemistry, you need the camaraderie Matt Lafuer said to himself, there's a time that comes that you need to have that locked down, but you also have to have guys that are ready for those moments too, And I think Burton and Monk collectively what they've been able to do on the interior has been very valuable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this we'll have to just see how this competition plays out over the next few weeks. The other one, of course, is at cornerback. Jonathan Gannon's new defense Carrington Valentine is currently sidelined by a hamstring injury, and now over the last few practices, we have seen a steady, essentially a constant rotation as far as who the two starting cornerbacks are. With the first team defense, they paired Nixon and Brandon Sisay, then it's Brandon Sisa with Benjamin Saint Jus, and then it just keeps flipping back and forth as they go from from team period to team period. The one thing that seems constant, Brandon Ceesay continues to take first team reps. He's not getting relegated to the second team. The rookie, We've talked about him a lot already, the rookie second round pick out of South Carolina has done nothing but impress. And I mean he from what we've seen on the practice field. I hate to say this about a rookie in the middle of August, but he looks like he's ready to go. He looks like he's ready to play in the NFL right now.
Speaker 2: Which I cannot believe at twenty one years old. Yeah, for being a true junior coming out. I'll tell you what, Mike, all these years that I've covered Packer training camp practices in terms of the non takeaway because we always so we perseverate so much on interceptions. By the way, Jalen Simpson had a nice one to end practice on Monday, but it's always about hey, who has these big picks. The coverage that Brandon Ceesay had on that corner route, I want to say, near the end of practice working against the ones, Jordan Love trying to hit Christian Watson, one of the toughest receivers to match up again in terms of the speed and the size, and Love forced the ball in there and Cisa plastered the coverage. Yeah, there was not a window to get that ball into Christian Watson. I haven't seen a lot of that in terms of rookie ballplayers coming in here and showing that type of ability straight away, especially being as young as Brandon. Cisa is so for a guy again, kind of like we were talking about with Burton in the offense, this is a guy that played a lot of ball, took a lot of first team reps in the spring, a lot of the because of how things sort of shaped out. Now he's putting that all to work and it creates a lot of competition. I think that's a positive. That's a net positive for Green Bay, especially considering some of the injuries they're dealing with in the secondary. But it now leads to this question of Okay, well you got Keyshan there, you got Benjamin Saint Jus who the more I watch him, the more I understand how the Packers back in March, we're looking at his skill set, his size and being like, yep, this guy is prototypical for what we want in a Jonathan Gannon defense. Brandon two weeks ago was saying that to me and some of the other reporters. He felt like this was the perfect fit for him defensively, it's looking like it and then karenon Valentine working through that hamstringer is kind of in the back shadows too, So a lot for Green Bay to consider at a very very important position for them entering the twenty twenty sixth season.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's really interesting. This is where this competition feels so different from the right guard one because, aside from CSA being a rookie, when you're talking about Keishawn Nixon, Benjamin Saint, Jus Carrington Valentine when he gets healthy, you're talking about veteran guys who have been there and done that, right, And because of that, I think, however this shakes out and whoever the starting cornerbacks are come Week one, that's not the end of the competition, right, because we know Jonathan Gannon is going to use different guys, He's going to use different packages, and the guys who are playing well. When you're a veteran player who's proven yourself, if somebody isn't up to the task, they'll make the switch. And then you know, if you go out there and show that you can do it, you have a chance to hang on to the job. So this is one of those things that could go well into the regular season before we really know who's at the top of the depth chart, but there will have to be decisions made at the end of camp when Week one rolls around.
Speaker 2: I'm very interested to see how this plays out because you know, Keishawn Nixon has been playing on the perimeter now for two seasons. Yeah, he broke his way into the starting lineup three years ago as a nickel cornerback, as a dime cornerback in the slot, so he does have that versatility. But you also have you know, Javon Bullard is locking down the nickel spot, although there's an injury. I'm sure we'll be talking about here with him right now. They've had so much perimeter depth now that you go back fifteen years ago, ten fifteen years ago, a lot of times those competitions, well, if it didn't work out for somebody on the perimeter, they would be in the nickel spot. That isn't necessarily the case. So I mean, it's extremely high stakes right now. But I'll say this, when you were going back to April, after the moves that the Packers made in the offseason program, these are the problems that you'd want to have. You want to have a problem where Brandon sees is pushing that entire room straight away. Yeah, you want to have an issue there where you know BSJ has come in and is impressing. That's what the Packers wanted to do, That's what Brian Gudikuntzk was going out to accomplish when he acquired those players. And certainly in the long term that depth is going to be necessary as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so. And that that's what I like best, is that I think you and I would both agree the depth at cornerback is in a better spot right now than it was a year ago.
Speaker 2: And you know, the best example that Michael, the fact that Kamal had and who just can't got back from his ankle injury. This is a guy that was on the starting perimeter. Conversation with the assid he's now learning how to play nickel at the NFL level because of all the bodies that they have on the outside. Yeah, that just tells you right away that the Green Bay not only are they that deep now on the perimeter, but now they want to figure out, Okay, which of these guys can now push inside if we need them there?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The land Yeah, the landscape. The landscape has certainly changed. Well, let's go through the health update. As far as where things stand right now, you mentioned Zach Bacoboweli. He's been working his way into team reps. He's now taking some eleven on eleven at right tackle. So is DeVante Wyatt, coming off of another season ending injury from last year. Wyatt has been working into the eleven on eleven. Both of them also doing so in pads, not just in the shells practice, but in pads as well. Tucker Craft we have not seen him in eleven on eleven yet. Aaron Banks dealing with some knee soreness. We have not seen him in eleven on eleven yet. New injury since our last show. You mentioned Javon Bullard now has a foot injury he's dealing with. We've seen Katan Oladappo take his spot. As far as the nickel corner with the number one defense, Josh Jacobs is currently out with a groin injury. It's not considered long term. They're being super cautious with Jacob's He missed Family Night because of that injury and almost certainly is not going to play in Pittsburgh because he hasn't back on the practice field yet. And then at wide receiver, Matthew Golden toe injury, Jaden Reid ankle injury. Their absences the past couple of practices has created a lot of opportunities with the number one offense for Saveon Williams, for bou Melton, for sky Moore at the receiver position, and to a certain extent Wes. All three of those guys have delivered they over the last couple of practices. They have all made their share of plays with Jordan Love and that's something that's good to see because you feel like there's a level of reliability there if something were to happen, and if those guys were to be counted on, maybe more than expected if something like this happens in the regular So.
Speaker 2: You know what bo Melton can do. He's been in the league for three years. Sky Moore was a former second round pick that has played a lot of football. I think he has fit over fifty games under his belt now at this point, Yep, Savion Williams is the ultimate kind of wild card right now for Green Bay and I would maintain maybe you disagree with me, I don't know that we this past week we've seen the best version of Savion Williams totally in his time with the Green Bay Packers, totally, because we've seen the end rounds, we've seen some of the gadget playwork. Because of these injury injuries, We've seen Savion Williams running more routes. We've seen him, you know, being part of more longer developing plays. We've seen him work more slants in posts. That's critical, I feel like, because realistically, when you think back to his rookie season, there's that moment in New York that everybody remembers him fifty to fifty in that ball making a tremendous catch in a critical situation. But there weren't a lot of those moments. It was a lot of stuff within five yards or even behind the line of scrimmage. So for Savion to have a practice like he did, a close practice inside the Hudson Center because of weather in the area. As Matt Lafleur talked about, they had him charted for eight targets. He caught seven of them. He had a sixty yard touchdown pass in which there was more. There was a blown coverage there, but it showed you at six foot six or six foot four, excuse me, two hundred and twenty two pounds. How quickly that guy can disappear in a secondarya if you give him a free rein and that's what he did. So I think Savion is in a really interesting spot right now. When they made the move to trade Don Tavian Wicks, when you made the move to let Romeo Dobbs depart in free agency, they were looking to clear opportunities up for Williams. They were looking at clear opportunities up for Golden. Unfortunately Golden had the toy injury coming out of Family Night, but he's capitalized on him and now number eighty three is doing the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's a good point you raise about seeing Savion Williams now because of these injuries, seeing him more in the conventional part of the of the Packers offense, because even his one touchdown as a rookie last year was just a wide receiver screen in Pittsburgh. And he makes a couple moves, gets a couple of nice blocks. Great, he gets into the end zone. But again that it has that gadget feel to it, right seeing sort of the rest of Savion Williams now, And I agree with you. I think it's a great sign. It's a great sign heading into his second season, what he's been able to show in this training camp.
Speaker 2: And they if they want to keep those concepts in the playbook, they have somebody in sky Moore who can do them. I mean sky Moore the way he's built. It's not a conventional receiver, whereas you have a guy like Savion that's six foot four, two twenty. Sky goes five ten, two hundred like in that range, right, He's more of a shifty underneath receiver. We've also seen him in a lot of these practices when Jonathan Gannon's been sending heat, he's been the hot read for Jordan Love. There's been a lot of times where Love is dump stuff off to him in the flat and allowed him to make some plays are wheeling underneath. That's going to be critical. So yeah, I think I just people they see injuries and they think it's so dire, and sometimes it is. Sometimes bad things do happen, But like I just think they looked people were looking for a reason to kind of panic about the red and Golden thing. Both of those guys are out at practice on you know, we'll see what their timeline looks like. But I don't get the impression these are significant injuries. They wouldn't be out there at practice if there were significant injuries. So again, glass half full hod quits here. But yeah, I think if anything, it opens up some of these opportunities for guys that are going to play deep into preseason games, that are going to get a lot of opportunities in the next two weeks to show what they can do.
Speaker 1: And it's a reminder to injuries on August tenth are treated very differently than injuries on September tenth or October tenth. I mean, you know, we're still more than a month away from the actual Week one game. So if somebody's just being nagged by a little something they don't feel quite right, the last thing they want to do is make it worse, and so they just they go on the high side of caution with this, with this stuff all the time. So hopefully both we'll be back soon. But there's no need to get them back into things too soon, because what matters is Week one, not these preseason games. That's for those types of players.
Speaker 2: Andrew Cooper was out of practice on Sunday with a foot. Everybody's like, oh, and then he's just out there in pads on Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was back on Monday. This guy take a brother, Yeah yeah, absolutely. Well, a couple other topics to get to, but we do need to pay some bills, so let's hear a quick word from our sponsors. Serious XMNFL Radio delivers hard hitting analysis and up to the minute NFL news that true football fanatics need. Twenty four to seven, three sixty five. Did you know lambeau Field is just one of our state's many wonders. Start making unforgettable memories on your next vacation. Discover the Apostle Islands and more at travel Wisconsin dot com Slash Wonders. Welcome back to Packers Unscripted.
Speaker 2: All right, Wes.
Speaker 1: We talked on our last show about one of the call it a long shot, the roster hopeful, the underdog story, Anthony Campbell at defensive tackle. You mentioned his name earlier in the show. He's another guy that in my mind falls into this category. And his defensive back Jalen Simpson. This is a young man, a fifth round pick by the Indianapolis Colts two years ago. Spent time with the Colts, also spent some time with the Jets. The Packers get him last summer, he spends the bulk of last season on Green Bays practice squad, ends up playing in that Week eighteen game in Minnesota when it was kind of all hands on deck with the starters resting. Jalen Simpson is making a push for a roster spot here. Now it's crowded in that defensive backfield. It's not an easy group to crack. But you mentioned the interception that he had on the last play of practice on Monday, an impressive play at the front pylon where he jumped a quick out route there. But it's not just the interception. We've seen him over the course of several practices get his hands on the ball, make you know, make a play, get a deflection, you know, make things difficult for receivers. Now he's doing all of that with the twos in the threes. You know, he hasn't really gotten the first team reps on any sort of consistent basis. We talked about how that's all rotating with that competition for the starting jobs at cornerback. But Jalen Simpson is a guy to keep an eye on here. With this preseason opener in Pittsburgh, in two more preseason games after that, it's a guy to keep an eye on as one of those you know, call it an underdog story. Who has a shot at this fifty three.
Speaker 2: Really interesting guy to talk to. Chatted with them at the end of last season, circled back with him in locker room on Monday, and he brought up a really interesting point. You're right, he has been working with the second team units. But one thing about him, again, a guy that was drafted in the fifth round by Indianapolis two years ago. It's not like this dude just came out of nowhere. Yeah, but what has happened is it's been a lot of scout team work for him. So he's kind of sharpened his iron against Christian Watson, against DeVante Adams, as he said when he was in New York at the Jets. Yeah, you know, you go back to his time in Indianapolis against Michael Pittman junior, and like he's gone up and tested alf against some of the best that the NFL has offered. You know how some of those scout team periods are in the seasons. They're not asking them to just go out there and go through the motions. They want to give them a look. He knows what it's like to compete at that level. Now he needs to prove to the Packers that he can do it when the film is on, when everybody is watching, right, And he said last year he goes back to his preseason, he wasn't overly happy with it, obviously. He started in Indianapolis, got cut, finished the training camp with Green Bay. That is a tough mountain to climb when you get here in the the eleventh hour of a preseason, and ultimately ended up on the practice squad. But green Bay thought enough of him they kept him around all season. He worked the nickel all season, started to do a little bit more on the perimeter near the end of it, played in the game against Minnesota, and he's champion at the bit right now to get out there in Pittsburgh on Thursday night, he said, I'd played one football game, one meaningful football game in the last year. Even when you go back to the previous season when he ended it in twenty five with the Jets, he was inactive for those four games. After he signed from the practice squad in Indianapolis to the fifty three man roster in New York. So this is a dude that's very hungry to prove himself. And I think when we talk about Brandon Cisa and some of these guys that have been afforded these opportunities, it's also important to mention the trickle down effect on the other teams, Guys like Jalen Simpson who might have been working on the third team units or might not have had opportunities to get as many first team or second team snaps. Well, now he's running consistently with the second team. He's the guy that's been across from either BSJ or Nixon. With these twos the last week and when Demani Jackson still being out, the Packers' rookie sixth round pick, Simpson has given Green Bay a lot to consider. Now, can he carry over some of the good things that he's done in practice, including how he ended it on Monday, into preseason action against the Steelers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's what I want to close on here, because whether you're talking about Jalen Simpson carrying it over, Anthony Campbell, what he has done on the defensive line, like we talked about on our last show, what else are you watching for when we go to Pittsburgh. We're sitting in the press box at Acchrisure Stadium. I'm always gonna call it Heinz Field in my head, but still Heinesfield to me, darn it, what are you gonna be watching for? Like, what's what's top of mind for you here in this preseason opener, knowing that there are still two more preseason games to go at.
Speaker 2: Mar Sean Lloyd, I want to see Marshawn Lloyd. And you know, we did get Chris Brooks back this week. He's back off of NFI. He had a hamstring injury that he suffered during his training that kept him out the first two weeks of camp. But you know, who knows how much he'll play. I'm sure Pierre is strong, I'm sure Damian Martinez are gonna get opportunities. But the Packers, however many snaps he plays, whatever his action looks like, these next three weeks, Green Bay wants to put everything to the test. Now. You know, this has been a really strong start for Marshawn, not only with his performance, but the fact that every single practice he's been out there, he's taken a lot of first team reps with Josh Jacobs being out, and he looks as explosive as he was two years ago. Whatever he's gone through at these lower bodies injuries, with the hamstring, with all these these various things that he's had to deal with, it doesn't look like it's zapdam of any of his speed or his explosiveness. Right. Uh, Marshall Lloyd's the biggest headline for me, and and beyond that, Yeah, it's gonna be Hey, which guy in the edge rush rotation is going to impress? Right? These these positions where there's so much depth, Uh, who's gonna stand out? When you look at the offensive line, Whether or not the first team Unich goes out there, we're going to see a heck of a lot of the second team unit. Do they push the line of scrimmat? Right? A bevy of tight ends right now on this roster, very few of them with any NFL experience due to injuries. Who's gonna take Who's gonna take that moment to show what they can do? Tray Smack trying to show that, Okay, there's been some ups and downs and kicking game. Am I going to be able to go into a state NFL stadium like Pittsburgh in a difficult, cult environment somewhat similar to green Bay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not the most friendly, not the most friendly kicking stadium for Tray Smack to uh to have his preseason opener, But maybe that's gonna be a good thing.
Speaker 2: So my answer to you, Michael, in a very long winded fashion, is that there there's probably more to look at in this preseason opener than I can ever imagine. And that's not even talking about the fact that Matt Lafuur hasn't really said whether or not the starters are going to play. Jordan Love's first three years as the Packers starting quarterback, he has played in the preseason finale or preseason opener. Excuse me. Unfortunately last year he gets the ligament issue in his non throwing hand, has minor surgery, kind of keeps him out for a week. So there's a lot to consider from that regard. But you ask me what my headline is, Number thirty two is my headline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And with regard to the starters, we're expecting them to play at some point, whether it's in Pittsburgh or whether it's in Denver, or maybe it's a little bit of both. We don't know. Matt Lafleur is not tipping his hand there and it's he basically said, it's going to be a feel thing for where he feels the team is. Most likely, the starters are not going to play in the third preseason game. He did say that because they're gonna get all their reps in the joint practice against the Cardinals two days before that preseason finale. So in terms of seeing maybe the starters in some preseason action, it'll probably be either Pittsburgh or Denver, maybe a little bit of both, and we'll see. But I am one with you that that Marshawn Lloyd is the headline here. We thought he was on his way to showing us what he could do in the preseason. Last year, he had a really good joint practice in Indianapolis, makes that great play down the sideline, but suffers another injury, you know, another in the long list, and then that injury ends up keeping him out for an extended period of time. So he is absolutely the guy to watch. And quite frankly, we'll have this discussion again next week, but when it comes to this first preseason game, you know, on our next show, we're gonna be talking about, Okay, who you know who did this and who did that and who caught everybody's notice. But then it's going to be can they do it again in Denver? Right, because you don't make a roster in the NFL, You don't make a fifty three in the NFL with one good pre season showing it's you have to be able to stack it. You have to be able to show you can do it on a consistent basis.
Speaker 2: So this is the.
Speaker 1: Starting ground of the proving ground with this preseason opener, But it's going.
Speaker 2: To be just the beginning, and I'm excited for it. I'm just so pumped for it. There's just when you get to the preseason, Family Knights like that first checkpoint. Preseason is when the game really starts, though, and it's when guys make their moment. It's it's when Emmanuel Wilson came out of nowhere, made himself undeniable, ends up carving out NFL career for himself in Green Bay after being an undrafted free agent, a guy that was a late addition to this.
Speaker 1: Roster at the Division two level two level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and certainly there's a bunch of quarterbacks that have shined here in camp. I thought Tyrod Taylor had his best practice of camp on Monday. I think you look at Kyle McCord and Kyron Drones, both of those guys have had moments, have had throws, very different quarterbacks, but have had success. I think it's going to be an exciting watch and seeing who can separate themselves over these next three weeks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be it's gonna be fun. But we have to get out to our next practice, and because the preseason opener is on Thursday, we don't have time to do a show another show this week. So when we come back for our next show next week, we will be reviewing the preseason game against Pittsburgh and then previewing the next one coming up against Denver. But for now, we'll call it a rap on this edition of Packers on Script. But be sure to continue following all of our coverage of the team, all of our coverage of training camp on Packers dot com for West, I am Mike, Thank you to me.
Speaker 2: Will see next time.