Speaker 1: The volume. The eighty two game preseason is in the books, and it is finally time for the real season. Don't miss out on any NBA playoff action at DraftKings Sportsbook, an official sports betting partner of the NBA. From the play in tournament through the finals. Draft Kings Sportsbook as you covered with same game parlays, live betting, ods, boost and much more. Download the Draft Kings Sportsbook app. Use code Shannon. New customers can bear five dollars and get two hundred and bonus bets instantly. That's the code Shannon only on DraftKings. The Crown is yours.
Speaker 2: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler or in West Virginia visit one eight hundred gambler dot net. In New York call eight seven seven eight hop and wired text hope and y four six seven three six nine.
Speaker 3: In Connecticut, help.
Speaker 2: Is available for problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of Boothell Casino w and Resorting Kansas twenty one and over age varies by jurisdiction void in Ontario. Bonus beets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after issuans see DKNNG, dot co slash b ball for eligibility and depositive restrictions terms and responsible gaming resources.
Speaker 1: Guys, as O, Joe and I, we told you earlier we had a great conversation with the legendary Michael Johnson. And here's the here's our interview with Michael. We hope you enjoy it. Oh Joe, I told you we're gonna try to make this thing the real Olympics. We're gonna have people that anticipated in the Paris Olympics and we're gonna get we were I'm gonna going to have former greats. The guy that's gonna talk with us for about forty five minutes today is a former two time world champion two hundred meters. He's a former four time champion the four hundred meters. He was a former world world record holder at two hundred meters, at three hundred meters, at four hundred meters. He's still he's a current American record holder at three hundred meters and four hundred meters, and he ran the anchor leg on.
Speaker 3: The world breaking.
Speaker 1: World Championship four hundred meter relay team of two minutes fifty four twenty nine. You know, and he's a two time Olympic gold medal in four hundred meters. He's a one time Olympic champ at two hundred meters. He's the only man to successfully defend his four hundred meters crown and back to back Olympics in ninety six and two thousand and he's the only man currently to win the four hundred and the two hundred in the same Olympics. One of the greatest printers in the history of sprinting, arguably the greatest printer in American history.
Speaker 3: Michael Johnson, Mike's.
Speaker 4: Going on, guys. Good to see both man. Good to see you. I haven't talked to both of you guys in a while.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, man, Mike, when you hear the accolades, you know, four time world champion four hundred meters, two time world champion two hundreundred meters, a two time Olympic champion, four Olympic champion, two back to back, nobody into history. The game has been going on since eighteen ninety six. And we see some young guys come in and they win the four hundred early in their career at eighteen, I mean nineteen twenty years of age and can't replicate that you did it later in your career. Why has it been so hard for men and women to repeat? I mean it's more common in women repeating, But why has it been so hard for men to repeat the four hundred?
Speaker 4: It's some difficulty event, man. It's difficult for people to get consistent in that event. Like you will see somebody come out run forty three seconds, become a forty three second four hundred runner, But then you'll see them in some races running forty four high, forty four mid, not consistently under forty three seconds. The four hundred meters is one of those races where you need to be consistent in order to deliver that type of performance when it counts at the Olympic Games. And what happens is is you have somebody run the Olympics, they get it right then, and then if you see them in those races outside of the championships being very inconsistent running forty four highs and that sort of thing, then there's a likely chance that when they get back to that next championship, they're going to run worse, not better. It's just the way that it goes. You have to try to get consistent with that event. It's a really difficult event to run because it's such a long sprint. There's a lot of room for area, there's a lot of ways to make mistakes in that race. It's hard to get it right, easy to get it wrong.
Speaker 5: When I think about the four hundred race, obviously from the start you exert so much energy I would say from some zero zero to fifty. And then you have another phase that you kick into where it's kind of not a transition phase where you slow down, but where you build up enough energy where you're moving as fast as you can will not allowing that lacktic acid to build up where you're not able to finish and kick towards the end and when you the first thing you said was about being consistent. How difficult is it to be consistent when the field of competitive change is consistently each time you race, and some people push you, some people don't. So how do you find that happy medium where you can always run your race but still have a chance to always win?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it looks like when you look at track, it looks like you're just going out there, and you hear most people talk about just executing their own race because you're in your own lane and other people are in their lane. But you have to know your competitors. You have to know they are what they're capable of. So, like if I'm in a four hundred meter race, for example, and that part you talked about OCHA, where you know you come out sixty first sixty meters or so, you want to run its as hard as you can get up to your place, not slow down, but just hold that pace. It's like in your car, if you push your foot all the way down on the accelerator, you're using a lot of gas. But let it up for a little bit. Now you're not slowing down. You're just maintaining that speed, right right, Don't keep mashing on the gas is the thing that key down the backstretch. But in that position, when I'm going down that backstretch, if I see one of my competitors who typically doesn't get out hard, but today they get not hard, and now they're getting a little bit of distance too far away from me, I have to make a decision, right then, Okay, do I make an adjustment in my race based on what they're doing. But I have to know them. If I know that he's not gonna be able to hold that so I'm then I might decide I'm gonna let him go. But you have to be able to make those decisions. So you have to know your competitor. You have to be able to execute your own race, but you have to be really good at making decisions in the moment in the race, in real time. You got to make those decisions quickly because you can't just kind of think about it because the race is going to be over.
Speaker 1: Mike, when I look at you and I go back and little start of your career and you look at the runners, say I have to make split's take a decisions to what I'm gonna do. You look at some of the runners you ran against Steve Lewis, you ran against Quincy Wash, you ran against Antoine Maybank, you ran against Anton Pedigree, Alvin and Calvin Harrison, got Washington Everett. There was such a vast range of four hundred meters and all these guys could go sub forty four. And when you're racing these guys, you go into your mind says, Okay, obviously Steve Lewis is an Olympic champ. Quincy Watts was an Olympic champ. A lot of these guys you ran in the relay with. So when when you're trying to break down, when you and coach Heart your coach when you guys were breaking down a race says the world championship, Olympic trials, the Olympics and so forth and so on. How different I'm gonna turn it over to you, o Joe. How different is running a four hundred as a two? Because we understand two is half the distance of four. But what's the difference? Because you were able? You kind of started like as a two hundred. You won the first world championship at two hundred meters in ninety one, if I'm not mistaken, and then built up and then you got the courage to say I could do both. I can in the Olympics. Buddy, you know how what kind of brass? How long has you gotta have to say I could beat the world's best at four and two in the same Yeah, it's probably never gonna be done again.
Speaker 3: On the metis.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw a couple of people have tried since I did it. Nobody even tried before I did it. You couldn't even the schedule wouldn't even allow for it. So I had to get them to get them to change the schedule. But yeah, I started as a two hundred meter runner, but when I was at Baylor, I was on the fourth by four and I was always splitting forty three, So I knew I could run four hundred. But like in college, you always you can't really go back and forth between the two and the four very much because you're always preparing for got to qualify for nationals. You gotta get ready for conference, you know, in or it, and then the same thing I do in the Both of those seasons are pretty short. But I knew I could run the four hundred. Then when I when I started my professional career, I was primarily two hundred, but I was running four hundreds at meets on the Grand Prix circuit, and I was running low forty two's rank number one in the world. But the first couple of championships, like that ninety one championship, like you talked about, Sharnon, so I chose the two hundred. Major team in the two hundred, won the World championship in the two hundred. But I'm sitting there in the stands and I'm seeing Antonio Pettigrew win the four hundred. I'm like, I've been beating him all season. I should be the world champion in the four hundred, but I can't run the four hundred. Now somebody else's world champion. So I was telling my coach then, like, you know, I want to run both, and he was saying coach was like, yeah, we can do both. We just got to get them to, you know, work out the schedule for us. So over time that became, you know, my thing, I'm gonna go to the championships. I'm gonna run the both to two and the four. Nobody had done that before. The races are very different. The two hundred meters are all I sprint. For most people, there's you know, some of the guys that's one hundred meters runners that's not really don't have that type of speed endurance to be able to hold it. They can't run the whole thing. But if you come from like me, like having a four hundred background as well, I can run the whole thing. So the difference, you know, is there's less room for margin or margin for error. In the two hundred, you may be able to make one adjustment in that race because it's so short nineteen seconds, whereas in the four hundred you can make all kinds of adjustments. The problem is there's more room for error in the four hundred gonna make it. You can make a lot of mistakes, and you probably will, whereas it two hundred. It's much more technical.
Speaker 5: I think one of the most interesting things about about this and everything you've accomplished, the accolades, the four Olympic gold medals, the eight World championships. I think with people that are going to watch the show, like, what initially, Let's let's go back to the beginning, because we know, we know the finished product, we know if you've done, we know if you've accomplished, But what initially Drew drew the track and field, and how do you discover your passion for sprinting. Let's let's go back and take us where it all started so we get a better understanding on how everything came to fruition to where you are now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just always loved running man. I played all sports growing up in Dallas, played soccer, football, basketball, baseball. We were always outside playing right, and always I was always fast. I was always faster than everybody else. So of course, going up in Texas, you know, got to play football, and so all my friends, you know, and I did not like football. I love watching football, hated playing football, hated did not did not like football. Then't like getting hit, didn't want to get hit in like contact, and so I so they wanted me to play receiver. This is in middle school. They wanted me to play receiver. I was like this, that's not happening. Now I want to get hit. And uh so then they want me to play running back like same difference, you know. So I ended up So I ended up being free. I played I played safety. I played free safety some Roman and I was like Dionne. I was like, I'm going I'm going for interceptions. I'm catching interceptions, gonna hit nobody, right, And and then so I played football just because all my friends are out there.
Speaker 3: I liked it.
Speaker 4: And and then I remember I had one game where I have great game, two interceptions, ran one back for a touchdown, and uh and we lost. And I mean we on the bus going back home after the game, like everybody said, and I'm like, sure, why am I sad, I should you know, if I have a good day, I want to win. That's how I know individual sports is the path for me. Team sports I'm too selfish, but uh but yeah, so so you know, so high school just track and and then uh and then I started getting scholarship off as chose Baylor, went to Baylor, and I didn't realize until I got to Baylor that I could even have a professional career and track. Then he realized and so yeah, so so that was it for me.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: And then once I got to Baylor started running times that it got real coaching for the first time in my life, real treating. I realized that I had the potentially be world class because I was running some of the same times that the guys that was going running in the Olympic Games and running professionally were running.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, Mike.
Speaker 1: When you when I go back and study you a couple of years, you're only about a year older than I am. And so I was a track and field guy too, but I noticed, but you weren't tough. When in Texas when you talk about runners, Roy Martin, Roy Martin from Dallas Rose, I learned here's from every weekend.
Speaker 4: He could run against him every weekend on the four by four hundred, two hundred. Crazy, my my, he was a year old older than me. You're older than me. Yeah, my junior year, now my sophomore year. Sophomore year nineteen eighty four, he was all Tonant in the two hundred for the Olympic team in La We in high school.
Speaker 6: Yep, and I'm having to read a movie like that. Oh yeah, yeah, what do he was? He ran like a set the high school world record. And then also in one hundred. You were in ten ten ten o sumthing. Yeah, yeah, yeah, a lot.
Speaker 4: I didn't get out of district, so you got you got finished top two to get out of the district to advance the regionals. Then top two out of regionals go to state. I didn't get out of state until my senior year because of Run and those guys.
Speaker 3: And then my school we.
Speaker 4: Didn't really we didn't have it, you know, we didn't take sports seriously.
Speaker 3: You know, it was it was.
Speaker 4: It was an academically focused school that you had to apply to get in and everything I got in and sports was just like I after thought, you were in the hardest district in the country.
Speaker 3: For track.
Speaker 4: I mean the kids in that the district ten five A in Dallas, Texas was the hardest district and we in there with it was crazy. So yeah, I mean so I didn't and I didn't, and then I got out of district my first time as a senior one in one regions, got to State, got second behind Derrek Florence, who broke Royan Martin's high school record in the two hundred. So yeah, that's what I was up against as a high schooler.
Speaker 1: Right, Mike, When did you realize Because I'm I'm looking at your career and like I said, I love track and field, and I'll know a lot about the two hundred meters. I was at the trials in Atlanta when you broke phr A. Menino's record. He ran nineteen seventy two, I think it in seventy two and you ran nineteen sixty six. When did you know that you could break the world record into two hundred and.
Speaker 4: The four so you were claim, yeah, you were close. He bro it was nineteen seventy nine. He in nineteen seventy three in Mexico City at to Do and that record stip for a long time because I was nineteen ninety six, right, yeah, so nineteen six when I broke it. He broke it in nineteen seventy, nineteen seventy seventy nine, So yeah, I knew when I was in college. I knew when I was in college. My sophomore year of college, I ran twenty point eight, I mean twenty point eight and and I remember that race. That was the first time I really dropped the time, and I remember all the mistakes, and me and my coach were just talking about all of the things that we could improve in that race, and he said then, he was like, like, you can break the world record. I was like, I know, and that's what we just kept We just kept working on it from there. But I had a lot of injuries in college that kind of helped me from from reaching my potential. And I had to you know that I didn't like it was my fault. I was getting injured because I didn't like stretching, didn't like lifting weights. I just wanted to go out of the practice run every day, run and do it. So I wasn't strong, you know. And then I realized, you know, I got it. I really and my coach have been really telling me, you know, and I was just, you know, a hard headed kid, thinking I'm gonna do it my way. Don't really like weight. I'm fast, I can just be fast. But the fundamentals are the fundamentals. It takes what it takes, you know. There's not a lot of choices when you want to be successful. And I had to realize that. And once I did committed myself to the weights in the string training program, that's when I started seeing the results.
Speaker 1: You had some battles man, you and Butch. When Butcher said butch, Butcher said, broke the world record. He broke Levans world record eighty eight in nineteen eighty eight. He ran what forty three twenty nine? Uh, And so you and him had battles. You him, Steve Lewis, Danny Everett, Quincy Watts, guys. You guys were both going back and forth because all of you guys could sub forty four seconds. He breaks that record in eighty eight, and you ended up breaking the record. Mike, you didn't break the record until two thousand, nineteen ninety nine, so that was eleven years later. And you, I think, if I'm not mistaken like you in your thirties, that's unheard of for a guy your age to keep pr and pushing the record. How were you able? Like you said, you had some injuries earlier, and maybe that what saved you is that you didn't burn your legs out early and you had some juice still in the tank late. So what was the process of going through and breaking that world record? Because you knew you were gonna have to have the perfect race, the perfect conditions, and the perfect people in the race to push you to that world Yeah.
Speaker 4: So my first year as a pro nineteen ninety, I ran forty three. I was running forty three two every time I stepped on the track, but I was That was my first year running the four hundred. I had never run, you mean forty four two. I had never really been running the four hundred, and at that point I was really a two hundred meter runner. So the first six years of my career I was focused on mostly the two hundred, primarily, even though in ninety six I ran both. In ninety five I bought won world championships in both. Ninety three I won the world championship in the four hundred.
Speaker 3: I would run.
Speaker 4: I would probably run my races every year. I'd probably be like, seventy five percent of my races are two hundred, twenty five percent of my races are four hundred, So I wasn't running a lot of four hundred. So I probably would have broken that four hundred meter world record a lot sooner had I been focused on that race. But I was focused on trying to break the two hundred meter world record first, and so I did that. Once I did that in ninety six, then I shifted my focus and started started running seventy five percent of my races were four hundreds, twenty five percent of my races were two hundred, because then once I had the world record in the two hundred, then I started focusing on breaking the world record in the four hundred. So it was like nineteen ninety six, I ran forty three thirty nine, which was a tenth of a second off the world record, which was forty three to twenty nine. It took me the next three years, and finally in ninety nine I got it because it was like, you just got to try to find those little areas in the make up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was in that was in Seville. Perfect conditions. Uh, trans you you transition. Let me ask you this in ninety three. I think that was the time that you guys broke the world record at the World Chip at the World Championship in the two, in the four, in the four by four, Andrew Vaman led it off. I think he ran split forty four to five. Uh, he passed to Quincy Watts. I think Quincy ran sub forty three to five. He passed it. The Butcher rentals and then with you with nothing to prove, Mike, you got it. You guys have gotten this. You already got a thirty minute, you got already got a thirty meter lead. They hand you the baton, you go, what's going through your mind? Because that was the first time in the history that somebody had a sub forty three split into four hundred meters.
Speaker 3: You stepped on the gas. I think you ran forty two nine.
Speaker 1: What's going through your mind as you're going around the track and you got nothing? You got a thirty minute, thirty lead. Mike, what possessed you to do?
Speaker 4: I'll tell you this is a story. This is crazy. So we broke the world record the year before nineteen ninety two, right, we just broke it by a little bit. Nineteen ninety two Olympics. I ran the two hundred. I didn't run the four hundred at the trials. I make the team in the two hundred. There's a debate about whether or not I should be on the four by four hundred meters because I'm gonna tell you go back the year before that, nineteen ninety one, my first world championship in the two hundred, US lost the four by four hundred meter relay to Great Britain because they didn't put me on that yet the hurdler, the herder probably ran down Pedigrew that you exactly right, Chris Akabusi ran down. Pettigrew. The team coach that year didn't like me, so he said, hey, we don't need Michael Johnson on out four hundred meter relay. He didn't run the four hundred meters at the trials. We don't need to put him on. We can win it without him. I'm readingumber one in the world, undefeated.
Speaker 3: For two years.
Speaker 4: Right, he does not put me on the four by four. They lose the next year in nineteen ninety two, I'm on the four by four. I got food poison right before the Olympics. You remember this, Shannon, We talked about this. So back then, what happened? So I got food poison, didn't make the final into two hundred. Theys like we still need you on the four box four. I'm like, man, I'm not, I'm I'm I'm not even I'm a shell of myself. I can't even run that fast right now, they're like a seventy five percent. Michael Johnson is better than anybody else, So let's go each on the street line Like, okay, So my split in ninety two when we broke the world record, I was the weak leg on that relay. I was still remember I was I lost weight. I'm still feeling I think I split like forty four nine or even maybe even forty five flat. It was horrible, but we still broke the world record. So fast forward to what you're talking about. Ninety three. I had just won the four hundred, beat all of those guys. Now we're coming to get other in the four by four. Yeah, at that point, it's like I'm gonna, I'm gonna, I'm gonna make up for last year. And then also if we broke the world record last year with me at forty five flat, if I can put it down like what I'm normally used to doing. We're gonna put this world record to a point where I ain't know. We got a nonybody gonna break it for thirty years, and that's where we are today. Nobody else still broke that record, so it's got a grand fast fan. I ran forty two nine on the anchor.
Speaker 1: Mike, do you realize that the record that y'all originally broke with the nineteen sixty eighteen Matthews, Freeman, James, Louie Evans, do you realize outside of the Americans, nobody else has ever run a time like they ran in nineteen sixty sixty fifteen.
Speaker 4: That two fifty Lee Evans, Larry James, those guys crazy. That's also where Lee broke the four hundred meters world record forty three eighty six.
Speaker 1: I believe it was forty three six. Larry James was said, I think didn't they didn't they? I think they might have took the one to him then, like, yeah, yeah, but we've been dominant in the four hundred meters if you go back from from nineteen eighty four to two thousand and eight, we dominated.
Speaker 4: Then it was sad to see what happened Mike, what happened? I don't know, man, You know, it does go in waves sometimes, but that shouldn't happen. We just had some like this cat Quincy Hall, right, what we always just talked about. You look at this profile. He has a dog on there, like a face of the dog, because he's a He's literally that, he's a dog, right, he is that that when you know the young kids say, oh he a dog.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: We didn't have that for a while. We did not have that for a while. I saw it and like, no, we didn't have that for a while. I mean, so right after me, it was Jeremy Warrener Taylor. You know, Jeremy was a dog. He's like, I don't care. You know, I don't care because he had that.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: If I lose, I lose, you know. If I lose, I lose, and I deal with that. Then. But the guys that come into an event coming to a race thinking about, well what happens if I lose? Before the race, you already lost, right, you already lost. And we had some of them, We had a few of them for a while. I think it's I think it's it's coming back now, coming back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 5: You know what, I would that that transitions me right into your next question, because I don't get ready to ask you what are your thoughts on the current state of track and field right now? And how do you see it evolve and based on where we are now, because you did just say it comes in waves, it goes in waves. Do you think we're right on the on the on the right track to kind of dominate in the sport again?
Speaker 7: And maybe the one, the two, and obviously the four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good question. Oho. So look, the Jamaican has been taking it to us for the last city. You know, I mean you got to give them credit. I mean, this is a nation of less than three million people and they go toe to toe and sometimes like I said, and for the last sixteen years, they've been handing it to a nation of three hundred million people. That's crazy. Where else does that? It's amazing. That's why the Jamaican brand from a sprint standpoint is so significant. They were known around the world as the sprint Capitol. They got great coaches, they got a lot of talent, and it used to be back when I was in college, all of the Jamaican athletes will come to the US for better training and facilities. Right around two thousand and six seven they stopped. They started they got some great coaches down there and they started saying, hey, just stay at home, we'll train you here. And that's when you saw that explosion. So you know, and it's just been it's been, it's been amazing. But you know, for us as the US, we saw what happened here in Paris. You know, Noah spread you know those guys, I mean, it's not any And look at Jamaica's have found some new talent. Shane Thompson, Kabel obliek obliic Seville, those guys, they got some talent. You know, they had a little bit of a board after boat left and now they got some more talent. But us got some too on the men's side. On the women's side, the Jamaicans have been it's been ridiculous. I've never seen a situation where they had two of the greatest sprinders of all time and then found another one on top of that with Shrikan converted her from a four hundred meters to a one hundred two hundred meters sprend and then now you got another one. It was just it's been crazy that that's that doesn't happen all at the time. So now what we're seeing is okay, those they you know, Elaine is pretty much done. Her body's just not going to be able to former coach you even said that her body is just not gonna be able to do that anymore. So she's probably on the way out and probably going to retire here soon. Shelley Anne is done. She's the greatest of all time. She's done enough. She's retiring after this year. And so so this is the first time, like in this women's two hundred last night the other day, I mean Gaby with Gaby one, there was no woman tamake a woman in that in that final, and a Jamaican woman has I sided stature today. A Jamaican woman has medaled in the two hundred every year, every Olympic years since nineteen seventy six. So it goes in stages and goes in ways. I think the US is at a position where, I mean we're always at the top of the medal table. But the events you talked about, Ohod Spence, right, yes, said Avoyd for us the last few years, I think it's yeah, it's coming back. It's coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've been having to share the table. You talked about Gabby Thomas. She ran blistering twenty one eighty two. If you go back and look at this before the Olympics, her pre race trial. She ran on the Diamond League and she faced Julian Alfred and she faced Dina asher Smith, and she let them get out and she came back in the last twenty meters. She was in third and within the with twenty meters to go, she shot the first. She did not make that mistake yesterday, Mike. She came when she came out that being, she was not bullgiling with Julian Alfred, she was not bullgiled with Dina asher Smith. She said, I am going to drop the hammer. I'm gonna leave no doubt in your mind that this race is over. And when she stepped out of the corn, when she stepped out of that.
Speaker 5: Being, heyst when she when she came when she came over that curve. Yeah, when she came up that curve by that one one fifty that one fifty one for whatever whatever it may be, Man, that was that was a wrap.
Speaker 4: She she's a very unique athlete. She's got ranged from one hundred to four hundred. She's world class all of them. She's the ten nine one hundred meter runner, She's a uh sub fifty second forty nine low four hundred meter runners. She could improve on both of those. So she has that perfect combination. She got long stride and two hundred. Yeah, like Alison Felix. And yeah, and you know she was bronze. Gaby was bronze in twenty twenty one at the last Olympics, and and and this was the redemption and so yeah, it was it was. It was great to see. It's good to see her winning. It's good to see her bringing come back to the US under two hundred two?
Speaker 1: Mike, would you like to see her even though she hasn't run, I would like to see her on the four hundred. I think she should run a leg on the four hundred meter relay, kind of like Alison Felix.
Speaker 3: We know Alison, and yeah, she's.
Speaker 4: Run on that four by one before she ran on the.
Speaker 3: Fourth one, No run four. She's running both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's got on both and she's always in the relay pool for both. So last year Budapest World Championshi was I think she was on that four bout one and four by four. I know in you twenty two she was on both relays. Yeah, so she's gonna she's put herself like an Alison Felix in the because she runs the open Racers show. She ran one hundred meters four hundred meters. She's run open four hundreds and one hundreds against world class competition early in the season to put her name in it. So you got like, like Noah is talking about, you know, coming into these Olympics, like he wanted to be on the four bout four. It's like, no, you can't run any four hundred. That's nobody. Nobody's gonna put you on the four bout four hundred if you haven't gone out there and run against people world class.
Speaker 3: In the four hundred. What about Noah?
Speaker 1: I mean, everybody was thinking about talking about Kashane, and rightfully so he jumped out there. He ran ninety seven seven at his trials and the only thing that I had concerns about I've never seen him run like this on a global stage. Running like this at your trials are one thing, and we've seen guys, might guys at men and women run great at their trials run great, but when they get to that global stage, they don't perform. Because the heaviest thing you can carry as an individual athlete is expectations. The expectations what he had following you saying boat, what he's done the world fastest times this year? And no Allows says, sometimes you got to and that's exactly what he did.
Speaker 3: I think he needed to just get out with him here.
Speaker 1: The reaction time was very close to k Shane Thompson, and I felt if he could make him run because nobody had made him run one hundred meters. Everybody was out of the race at eighty meters, and he could drop off the gas. Noah Allows and Fred Curly made him run a full one hundred meet is we saw?
Speaker 4: Now you exactly right? So what happened was and Kashane is massive talent. I means huge talent. He is going to be a force to be reckoned with, just because he's still very young. This was his first championship ever of any kind. He never been in a World championship or any kind of Olympic Games, none of that. Never done that, So that was my only concern with him as well. I saw the nine seven seven. I saw his other races and they were very impressive, very impressive. So on paper, yeah, it looked like, yeah he should he should win it, or he could win. But like you said, Shanny, you got to come in here and you got to actually do it. The issue for him, I don't think it was so much the you know, like the expectation of the pressure from the Jamaicans, you know, which can be heavy, but they typically did. Jamaican athletes typically handle pressure well. The coaches do a really good job of bringing them up as young athletes, as juniors and helping them to understand how to navigate the pressure of a championship. Is shoe for Kashane was he had never been pressured at the end of the race.
Speaker 3: This race, he.
Speaker 4: Was, but it wasn't by Noah because Noah was way over on the other side of the t and you could see what he could see was big Fred Curly and Fred is big like Kashane. They both big dudes, right, and that looming figure beside you right there with you can possibly make you tighten up. He was, he was, and he had a Connie Sambini from South Africa on his other side, and Kanye had been running really really well. Also at ninety meters eighty meters, both of those guys are right there. So for the first time in his life, he finds himself Kashane in an irate race. It's not about now, it's not about it's not about execution of your own race and all that. You find yourself in a race, So what do you do in that moment, at that point that eighty meters you are already running as fast as you possibly can run. The only way you can get yourself to that finish line quicker than last twenty meters is to focus on maintaining form. And what's gonna be is gonna be. That's a hard thing to do because your instinct is run faster and hunk her down. As soon as you do that, your body tightens up. It tightens up, and that's exactly what happened with him. You watch his nine seven seven flewid the whole way. You watch that race the other night, last twenty meters. He's here, you know, like a boxer, and he's not just doing this thing, And meanwhile, you got no over there just doing his tha the long life, relaxed and running through the finish line and there you go.
Speaker 1: It was kind of like Sha Carrie. If you remember in the World Championship, Sha Carrie was in lane seven and then you had although you had the Jamaican if you had everybody bunch, and Sharika couldn't see your care way outside in lane seventh and the next thing she knows, she looks up like.
Speaker 4: And she was way over at nine. Because the thing is what happened was she ended up getting an atrocious start in that semi final lim Budapest last year in the World Championships, didn't get a great start that her frequency was so inact. But what happened was, I'm gonna tell you the truth, right in that race that semifinal, she didn't get a great start, didn't and she carry at that point had not proven herself to be a real championship racer, to be able to to do what Noah did. She had shown herself to be more like what we saw in Kashane to tighten up a little bit at the end, went under pressure right in that semifinal, she tightened up and ended up having to qualify on time. She wasn't an automatic qualifier to the final. She was the last person again and they took. There was three semifinals, they take the top two. She was third, so she ends up having to wait for the other semifinals to finish and finds that okay, I had one of the fastest two losing times, which means I get in. She gets in the final because she was had the slow time in that semi final and finished her. She ends up way over in lay nine and not in the heat. That benefited her because she's over there, able to run her own race, not coming to any pressure. When's the World Championship. We all know Sha Carrie's fast. We all know she's been fast. We all know that she's got massive talent coming into this Olympics running fast times against a lot of the Americans and everybody else. Get here. Look, this is what happened. I'm just telling you the truths. People can love Sha Carry, hate Sha Carry. You can call me a hater for saying, but I'm just telling you the truth of what is happening here. What happened was in that race. She's now under pressure. She didn't get a great start. She never gets grace to start, and that's fine if you can then come through at the end. But she got one of her worst starts, one of the worst starts. Last just left in the blocks, and now you're back in the race. You got to get back in it, but now you under pressure because Julian is gone, gone. Yes, right, but that never was able to get back in it. But that race was over before it starts. If you look at Sha carry it out, and it was so surprising, even to me. You look at her coming out before that race started, and she looked scared. She did not look confident. She did not look like she was like, I'm in champion, you know, mindset, I'm about to go out here and take what's mind And she just didn't look like that.
Speaker 1: And and oh, Mike o'cho and I talked about it. I said it, that's what I say, though, I say she didn't seem like herself. Now, what role did the warm up? Because it would be reported that the athletes got that didn't ride the bus from the Olympic village and had to go into a separate entrance. She had that situation of Rise Shelley and Fraser Price had that issue. So how much how leg of a difference did the warm up? Did he properly warm.
Speaker 4: Up from what I understand they what happened was they have been going through They weren't staying at the village, right, So there's some athletes that don't stay at the village. I never stayed at the village. So you have your own transportation, you're not riding the team bus, you have your own car, drive, and all of that. I would always have to go to the US team and say, Okay, I'm not staying the village. I have my own car, I have my own drive, I have my own stuff. I need a pass to get through, right, So they would give it to me, or they would say, okay, well, if we can't give you a pass, you have to meet us and then jump on the bus. But you can come from your place, come to the village or whatever would meet you and you get on and jump on. They were getting through that gate for the first couple of days, no problem, and then the next day they I guess they clamped down and said, no, this is not supposed to be happening. You can't come through this. I've heard two different stories. I've heard that they had to walk an hour, which I've only heard that from a source that he wasn't really that reliable. The other source I heard said, and what I've heard more consistently, is there was another gate that wasn't that far down that they did have to walk but it was just on the other side of the warm up fair and they had to walk down there and get in. So and I've heard from very reliable sources that they had all of the time they needed to walk up. That's what I've heard, so I don't nothing official has come out yet, but that's what has been reported, so I don't think that that was an issue. The Jamaican camp has reported that Shelley and Fraser Price did not drop out of that semi final because of that. She dropped out because she had been dealing with an injury and a flare back up, and she had been dealing with injuries earlier this season.
Speaker 1: What about Srika? Why did Serika drop out? Has she been dealing with injuries? Because it seemed like a lot of the Jamaican women she hadn't run really great this year, so has she been dealing with it?
Speaker 4: She got injured actually in a track meet and stopped on the track about three weeks before the game. So it was always questionable coming into this whether she was even it was just a matter of how serious that injury was. And so first she gets here, they were being very and a lot of the jama Con fans are sort of upset right now because the coaches and the team were being very, you know, sort of clandestine about, you know, well, how serious is an injury. They want to know. These are our athletes, We support them. They want to know, you know, what's going to happen.
Speaker 3: What can you know?
Speaker 4: Don't get us getting our hopes built up if the athlete is injured. They never really said, you know. And then so she pulls out of one hundred, out of the two hundred. The day before the one hundred, she pulled out one hundred, said I'm just gonna run two hundred. I'm just gonna run the two hundred. She never said why, and then so we all knew why. And then then the day before the two hundred she pulls out of that as well.
Speaker 1: Right, Mike, handicap, handicap, this is two hundred meters. You got Noahllows, who's the American record holder. You got Kung Fu Kady who's run subten nine nineteen six. You have Aaron knighton who's run a blister return. You have a Tobogo the book Swana, who's run unbelievable hand to cap this? Can we sweep the podium? Will we sweep the podium? What do you think is gonna happen between Noah and Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think it's gonna be left. Let's talk about silver and brons because gold is gone. I mean, Noah's a three time world champion. I mean, I you know, as far as the one hundred, yeah, you know, he proved himself right now. No, and that's a good thing about Noah. You know, Noah doesn't have to prove anybody wrong. He don't care about what everybody else think. He's gonna prove that he's right. And that's what he did one hundred where there was some doubts. I even had my doubts at some points, but the two hundred meters, there is no doubt. Anybody saying that Noah's not gonna win the two hundred meters is an absolute certified hater and they just don't want him to win. But they're still not gonna get their way. Nobody in their right mind doing true analytical analysis and handicapping of this race is going to say that, No, it's not gonna win. He's a three time world champion, he haven't lost him forever, so he's gonna win it. I think behind him that's gonna be a battle with Yeah, Kenny bedn rig Arian Knight and you can. I mean, let's go Tobogo who was uh?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Was he bronze?
Speaker 1: He wrote the world record in the three hundred meters and ran forty four low in the in the four hundred meters?
Speaker 4: That kid, unbelieved unbelievable, silver medalist in the one hundred meters last year, bronze, uh, silver and uh and bronze in the two hundred last year. So he's a he's not a political kid. But he lost his mom uh just four months ago? Uh did it back? Not even in back in May. So really sad young kid though great talent. He'll be in there. He was disappointed in his uh in his one hundred meters where he finished I believe fifth, But he'll be in there and uh and then yeah and you got you got Kenny Arian. Yeah, those guys are gonna be battling for for bronze and silver and and the one person that you know just just for just because Andre Degrass from from Canada. This cat always finds his way in finals. He didn't for the first time. He didn't make his way in that one hundred meters final. But he always finds his way. So just for good measure, put him in there as somebody fault us. He might actually sneak up and get a medal too. Let's handicap this.
Speaker 1: I mean, just what everybody's talking about the four hundred meter hurdles. You got Allison Do Santo's, you got Carston, Walholme, you got Roe Benjamin and on the women's side it's a two. It's a two women race. It's famicable and Sydney Bigelock. Let's take the men first. Rit's been running exceptional. Carston, he hadn't been at the top like he normally is. Do Santo's. We know he can go sub forty seven. All these guys, what do you think the winning time is gonna be? Are we on world record alert? In the four hundred men and the men's four hundred meter?
Speaker 4: I would never say nothing. I'm saying that this track is ridiculous. It's it's even faster in the Tokyo track. This this track really fast.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a new it's a new type of server. It's mondo, yeah, but it's fast. All the athletes have been talking about it and they did some some some different stuff anyway, So it's possible. It's absolutely possible because those three guys are the best ever and they are all coming right at the right time. Carston is having a good season, but he's just not raced as much. But he trains so in such a unique way that he trains to be able to run the four hunchimeter hurdles all out, which is just crazy. That's the way they train, just so strong and it's all about strength. So he's going to go from the gun and all that, and he only knows one speed and only one way to run, and that's all out record. Rye is a sub twenty second two hundred meter runner, a sub ten second one hundred meter runner, and a forty four low four hundred meter runner, so he's got speed like nobody else in that race. He's got way more speed than Carston or Allison. But he hasn't in the years past been able to struggle with a few injuries and then hasn't been able to figure out how to use that speed in the hurdles to be able to stay with Carston. But I think he has now, So it's going to be it's going to be a battle. That's going to be a very interesting race. I think it could come down to the wire with all three of those guys, those Santos, all three of those guys aren't afraid to lose, you know, they all go out there and put it on the line. So yeah, that's going to be a good one one on the web side. Look, man, you know, everybody, you know. The thing about that is, you know it is a rivalry because the very definition of a rivalry is people competing against each other. They all want the same thing and only one can win, and that is this case. But it's not a back and forth rivalry. Has never beaten Sydney. She won the world championship last year, far square. She's an amazing athlete, but she hasn't beaten Sydney.
Speaker 3: Wasn't there.
Speaker 4: She's never beaten Sydney this year because having the season of her life four one hundred meters indoor world record, she's running some amazing times. You saw her run that blistering leg on the four by four mixed for about four on the second day of these these these Olympics, and that was impressive. But you got to then look at Sydney. Sidney's Sidney broke the world record again just a couple of months ago. She ran coming into the Olympic trials. Even after that, she had the second fast time, second fast time in the world in the two hundred two hundred flat. You know, I mean so so you know, I don't see Sydney losing this unless she underperformed some kind of way, which she typically just doesn't do. I think Fimkah is the nearest challenger. That's why we talk about Sidney versus Semka, because she is the nearest challenger. I think it'll be Sydney and I think that Fimka. The gap may be closer this year than it's been in the past, but I think it's still gonna be a gap, and then you're gonna have everybody else battling for for third. But look, that's why we have the races. You know. I come Binger Berenson was supposed to d under fifteen hundred meters and no, that did not happen. He ended up out of the medals and you got Cole Hawker is the Olympic champion in the fifteen hundred.
Speaker 1: Right, Hey, when you mentioned Ry the foot speed that he has, and it seems like he's trained, he's changed a little bit that he's not afraid now to drop the hammer to go out. It's like, okay, catch me instead of and because because he has that kind of hundred meter speed, because he has that kind of su two hundred meter speeds and the open four, like you said, he's faster than all these guys at all three disciplines. If you line them up one hundred meters, a two hundred meters and an open four, Roy Benjamin will outrun both guys Carsta Walholme and Yo Santos. Now it's if you watch him now, Mike, he's he's running that race a little different than what he has.
Speaker 4: Ryan is smart enough to know that you can't just use that speed any kind of way you want when you got ten hurdles to clear. That could be a detriment to you if you did the wrong way. And he's been trying to figure out how to use it in the right way. And I think he's I think my senses that he's figured it out now. You know his coaches Quincy Watts and Quinceland while of me a couple of months ago that you know, it's.
Speaker 3: A new Rye.
Speaker 4: He's like, look this guy, he's he's he's. What he's been seeing in practice indicates to him that Ryot is going to be running some some some some special times this year.
Speaker 1: Mike, we're gonna get you out on this. You established a new league Grand Slam Track. The league has said the revolution out of the track world, with like tennis golf schedule, four major championship Slams each year. Slams would take place in four global cities, two domestic in the US, two internationals. Starting in spring of twenty twenty five. Forty eight of the fastest racers in the world would be signed to compete in all four Slams. In the other half field would be filled by challengers looking to prove, oh I'm making a racer. What made what's what was the concept behind this and what made you decide to come up with your own track?
Speaker 4: And you know, like what we're talking about in the excitement that both of you guys, we both talked about track before we all talk we we both talk about track all the time. I talk to both of you guys over the years about track, and y'all are excited about it. You want to see, right, you want to see track. You see it during the Olympics. You get excited, and then the Olympics are over and it's like, I want to see some more track. You can't find it. It's out there, but it's fractured. It's not organized a scale. The athletes on organize that scale. The meets don't pay the athletes enough, so they don't really want to compete in those meets because it's not worth their while, right, they don't want to travel all the way to the other side of the world and hey, if I win, you're gonna pay me ten thousand dollars. These athletes, the best athletes in the world, do make good money. They just don't make the type of money they should be making because the sport isn't doesn't have enough visibility in those times in between the Olympic Games. So that's what Grand Slam track is about. So if you think about tennis every four years, you know you got your four Grand Slams Wimbledon, US Open, Australian Open, French Open. You know you got your four golf majors every year, and those are the ones that the best athletes want to be at and they want to compete there. It's big prize money, it's best of the best. Fans get into that, they know those athletes are going to be there. That's what we're doing with track, So the best of the best athletes, the best racers. We're not we're not doing field events. We don't we need to. We want to focus on just the racing. Who want to focus on just the fastest people and where we can storytell around that get people to understand who these athletes are. Like UFC, like WWE, like Formula One, like golf, like tennis, these athletes are the best. So when we organize them and next April when we start, you will be able to see the same sort of stories, the same sort of all of this stuff. We're talking about handicapping this race, Hey, what's going to happen in that race? That doesn't happen in track and field outside of the Olympics. But starting next year when we launch ground some track, it will who that's lying.
Speaker 3: Excited for you? I can't wait. Hopefully we can be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Anything that we can do as far as you know talking about it on Nightcap, we love.
Speaker 4: To we we got to get you guys in to the meet and and then and we will have a celebrity race too. So I need to see it.
Speaker 3: I know, challenge the meet to racist man.
Speaker 5: And like I said, hey, hey, Mike, whenever you read it, baby, one foot in front of the other, I'm gonna I'm gonna win.
Speaker 3: I got, I got two artificial helps, so both of y'all go past me. So I'm good.
Speaker 1: Mike handicapped this the four hundred meters we got Karanie James, he ran the fastest time. He ran forty three seventy eight, his fastest time since twenty sixteen. Matthew Hudson Smith, who has the world's fastest time this year. You mentioned Quincy Hall, you mentioned Michael Norman, who underperformed in Tokyo, and he's put together some races. He's run forty three four, but for whatever reason, on the global stage, he has been unable to put it together.
Speaker 3: So if you had the handicap this for me four hundred meters, who you like.
Speaker 4: It's tough man, because if everybody ran their best, Michael Norman wins that race. He's fashion everybody else sub ten, sub twenty second hundred to some two hundred. But like you said, you look at his history, he underperforms more often than he reaches his potential. So and he didn't look in that semi final. He left it late.
Speaker 3: He did, he looked better. He looks like exactly. So he just goes like blank.
Speaker 4: Sometimes. Quincy is also his coach, and I've talked to Quincy about it, and Quincy tries to work with him, and it's just Michael's got to be able to focus in the race. But so so I would It'd be hard for me to say that he's gonna win it. He shouldn't medal, he should win it, But I'd say medal, I'd say right now, I would go Matthew Hudson Smith or Quincy Hall. Quincy Hall is a dog and Nick you're just man. He just and he's new to it techniques a little bit on at the docks, but I had on authodox technique. You know, it's like and I don't. He's he can clean it up a little bit at the end, but right now it's working. You know, just keep doing what you're doing. I wouldn't try to change this technique in the middle, so I would if I was gonna go out on a limb, I'd say those two are gonna be balanced. But Karani looks good and he got so much experience he got he already has any Olympics four hundred meter final. He's got a goal A and a BRONC goal, so he's gonna get another. I think he's gonna get another one of them in this Olympics. So I think he's on the podium. But I think it's gonna be a really good race. And that's what gets me excited. You know when it's you know, not like that. You don't want to have these races where there's one clear person like way ahead and you know that they're gonna win and nobody's gonna touch him. Like I mean, Noah's rased like you interesting enough because it's no and he makes it interesting. But we already know who's gonna win that race. That's not as fun as this race where it's like if you race this race four or five times, you might get four or five different outcomes.
Speaker 1: Right, One last question, Mike, could you see us where Sydney wins the Olympic the four hundred meter hurdles, and Bobby says, okay, that's enough of that. We're gonna focus on taking down that thirty five forty year old record of Manarina Coke forty seven to sixty. Could you see a situation where where they focus and she goes from the four hundred meter hurdles to the open four hundred.
Speaker 4: I'm telling you that that is the situation. That is the situation, Sydney. The only reason Sydney's running four hundred meter hurdles this year at the Olympics is because she wants to put that world record so far out there. She knows that if she leaves that world record too soft, it's not soft, it's unbelievable, but she knows that Themka could possibly come and break it and then she'd have to come back into the event to try to keep that. So her position is, I'm gonna try to put it out there so far that then I can leave it and it's it's safe with Memas not gonna be able to go get it. Now, I'll go over here, and now I'll go over here and focus on this open four hundred, because remember last year she didn't run for the World Championships last year. She decided, I'm want to focus on the four hundred. That's what she did at the beginning of the season, but then decided to just shut it down for the season. So yeah, so I'm telling you, yeah, I do see that scenario. I think that's exactly what's going to happen. You know, she's a first Could you see her cliding grand some check. We already signed her. She was the first person we signed.
Speaker 3: And Josh Kirk, could you see her going sub fifty in the full end the hurdles.
Speaker 4: I think that's her goal. I think that's what she wants to do. This track is fast, and now it's just a matter of whether or not she can go out there and put it together. But I think then in her mind, yeah, she thinks that that's where she she can take this event.
Speaker 1: Well if she put that thing sub forty, So she goes sub fifty and the four hundred hurdles for the women, ain't nobody touching that anytime soon.
Speaker 4: I agree. I agree, Mike.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that. Bro, Hey, I really appreciate you taking time out of your day. Man.
Speaker 3: Like I said, Mike and I we go back a long low way.
Speaker 1: I used to see him all the time here and my boy Ray Crock are the best friends, and so he used to be in all the game and talking and so we it's great to catch up with you, Mike. We really appreciate nightcap. The fans are gonna love this interview. Man, thank you for your time. Enjoyed the recter the Olympics, and we'll see you in Aproyd.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks, Man, appreciate you. Shane, appreciate you. Ojoe, Yes, Jerry, all right, man.
Speaker 1: Guys, we really hope you enjoyed that interview. That was Michael Johnson. Yes, that interview was pre recorder. You have to realize there's a nine hour time difference between myself and Mike. There's a six hour time difference between Ocho and Mike. So we had to pre record that early in the morning. He was obligated, he's a BBC for him to take time out of his schedule to give us some insight and handicap some of these races and offer some insight because you're talking about one of the greatest sprinters of all time. He is the greatest four hundred meters sprinter in the history, and it's not even close. He held the world record at three different disciplines hundred meters, three hundred meters to four hundred. Now he still has the American record at three hundred meters and four hundred meters, and so for him to take time to give it with us, we greatly appreciate your time and patience.
Speaker 3: And we had a great time talking with Mike. Like I said, I've known Mike thirty years.
Speaker 1: Uh, and uh, we're glad we got some other Olympians that's gonna be joining the show tomorrow and I think Friday. So we got a couple of more Olympians, people that actually competed. You're not gonna tell them. You're not gonna tell you. I'm not gonna tell him afterward. They gotta wait and see.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, okay, yeah, So oh y'all.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get right into it tonight. Well, like I said, hopefully you guys enjoyed in that interview. And again, oh cho and I we're gonna have I think tomorrow and Friday, we will have people that actually participated in the Olympics. So give you their forgive you their experience what it was like the electricity and the atmosphere of them winning.
Speaker 3: So thank you guys.
Speaker 1: Uh So, without any further ado, Oh Joe, we're gonna get right into our last segment of the night, and it's called Q and A.
Speaker 3: M hmmm, Uh, oh Joe, stand up.
Speaker 1: Stan asked the question, Uh, would you put Noah on the four by four for the four gold medals? No, because he can't outrun anybody that's in the medal pool. He didn't run any four hundreds. As why you heard Michael say Gabby has run four hundreds, Sidney has run four hundreds, so they put their name into the pool. Ry has run four hundreds.
Speaker 3: He hasn't.
Speaker 1: So who on that relay team? Is he gonna outrun Rye? Is he outrunn outrun Chris Bailey? Is he gonna outrun Quincy Hall? Is he out gonna run Ernie nor Wood? Is he gonna outrun dead Man?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: No, we're not No, it's not no. No, you don't get gifts here.
Speaker 1: If he wanted to be considered taking for the four hundred meter relay, he should have run.
Speaker 3: Some four hundredths, Oh Joe, to get those up under his belt, so he could have been entered into the pool.
Speaker 1: Right, That's how it works. That's how Alison Felix did it. That's how Abby Steiner did it. So yeah, that's that's how it works. But no, I don't I don't think he's I don't think he should and I don't think he will. Uh d Love said in Track and fee field, are those staggers starting positioning the two hundred, four hundred and eight hundred meter really the same distance for each runner? You do realize, like, yes, But the thing is with the eight hundred meters. While you start out, you only you and the four hundred and the two hundred, you have to stay in your lane all the way around. In the eight hundred meter, you start those staggers and then you get at a certain point you get to cross over, and then everybody's in the first two lanes basically.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but they are if you have to stay in those all the way around, then absolutely are the same distance. Yeah, because you don't have I mean the bend.
Speaker 1: It's hard to win from lane one though, to win the two hundred because if you remember the Americans, the women, what was that was that real?
Speaker 3: Might have been real? Was it real? It might have been real? Ojo. We were won the four by one. The women from lane one. Remember they ended.
Speaker 1: Up the ladies knocked the baton out of Allison Felix and the exchange partner. They picked it up, finished, protested, they had to run by themselves. They qualified, They got lane one and ended up running and winning the gold medal from laye one.
Speaker 3: That was that was real twenty sixteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah they got out bright Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Keimper Norwood Jr. Said Oh do you think I could beat Ojo in AE hundred meter dash?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Man, stop playing, man, Ojo, Let me tell you something. Pull them on.
Speaker 7: I still training like I'm playing. I ain't pulling nothing.
Speaker 1: Told the people yesterday, oh Joe, ain't nothing, do nothing get you ready to play football?
Speaker 3: But playing football? Right?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 3: What you not soccer.
Speaker 4: For next season?
Speaker 7: Matter of fact? Hat Listen, half of the people competing in Paris can't even beat me running right now? Honestly, who who?
Speaker 3: If you can? Who you can hear you must be talking about.
Speaker 1: You must be talking about the people that check it out, making sure they light their hands behind the line.
Speaker 3: Those are the older people. Those are the older people that can't outrun you.
Speaker 7: Hey, we'll see watch what happened on Quincy? When Quincy come down here?
Speaker 1: Uh, let's talk sports? Three thousand said, is it is it hard talking about the same subjects in different environments? And have you ever slipped up?
Speaker 3: Mmm?
Speaker 7: What do you mean slipped up?
Speaker 3: I guess, uh say ninja? Uh yeah, I mean.
Speaker 5: Look, if I say I can, I changed completely from from I am on Hill the inside NFL, I'd be a completely different person, talk different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the accent is gone. Yeah, I think yeah, for sure, Like you know, I'm I got ESPN Shannon, I got night Cap Shannon. Night Cap Shannon is totally different than anything that's on television for sure. That's one thousand, and He's totally different from Club Shay Shane. Shannon is an entity like this, night Cap Shannon is only for Nightcap.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: Hey, he gets hung up in the closet until it's time for him to come out again tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but it's it's uh. You look, if you on TV long enough, you're gonna have a mishap. You will say issue and you gonna say add. So you're gonna say something you I said F I said if I've said f on on on Undisputed before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so this me, this is a combination of like.
Speaker 1: Kind of like Nightcap, but this is more like in the locker room in to Battle State, in Different in Baltimore, at the barbershop when I'm with my boys, if you were like with Privy, I mean all the guys like Rod Smith and all the guys that I played with and different like he liked this every day, I mean everything to what you hear him saying, he said that now I just get I just get paid. I just get paid to you know, I had a job on on Undisputed. They paid me for all the look the quick went first take now pays me for. But yeah, this is a I'm a totally different this person that you see that's talking to you right now. He don't come out only on night cap. Yeah you're vampire o Jo. You only come out at night That's it.
Speaker 3: Day, said Chad.
Speaker 1: Just to let you know, shave by Laportier is top tier, best Kangjac out there. Had a bottle last week. Amazing, Just letting you know, Derek, I appreciate the support, bro, Thank you very much. I really really appreciate that. Ron DeVos Uh, it really brings back some PTSD here and O Jr. Mentioned cl final between Liverpool and Real Madrid. Sergio or Ramos and his dirty plays are the only reason Madrid won all won it all? Oh Yo, what you say about that?
Speaker 7: I mean he's probably right, He's probably right.
Speaker 5: Listen, Real Madrid has some type of voodoo that they always have and find towards the end of games almost similar to give you better context, like throwing a hell.
Speaker 7: Mary with two seconds on the clock.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they scoring at the last minute when it matters most every time.
Speaker 1: Uh, you're wrong, Kamani love the show today, it's my birthday. Me and my girlfriend are watching. Well, would also be seeing you, hope in Atlanta. Hopefully you guys still going to Magic City.
Speaker 7: I don't know where you're going.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be there.
Speaker 7: I'm trying to see what these wings. I'm trying to see what these wings hitting on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm trying to say I will keep on tipping the sippings, see what we can do. Okay, the top twenty for the bottom is all to get those you know things to fall. You know what I'm saying, what time of them?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You ain't going nowhere?
Speaker 5: Like yeah, Hey, madame. Are you are you know listen, didn't even waste for me to invite them. Oh yeah, are y'all going on tour? Okay, I'm coming to what I ain't even invite you yet.
Speaker 3: Talk about?
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, I'm going. I know you're trying to go to Magic City. I'll be there. Wait a minute, like how you know, uncle, want to show me around? You You trying to be my chaperone?
Speaker 3: No no, no, no, no no a rail bait?
Speaker 7: You know, baby, Now, we don't need no bait. Hey, we've been fishing for thirty years. We don't need no baby.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 1: Real real that rail the baby, real, the cute little you know when you walk, you got a little cool little plelly doll.
Speaker 3: Oh quet up here they are, but they gonna na real. Who is that?
Speaker 7: That's my uncle, man, I'm the match maker, man, I got you.
Speaker 3: Everybody need a ring woman. You know you got a ring man. I got a wing woman.
Speaker 7: No, no, no no, because she's gonna have you at the wrong people.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: That decision making it ain't nah.
Speaker 3: A real Let's play a shot, uncle and nice. That's my uncle. That's a good one. That's a good one. That's a good one. Oh Joe, that's my uncle. He's shadow you know.
Speaker 1: You know he ain't really been out, he ain't been on a dating a long time, but he really shy harmless though.
Speaker 7: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Uh Nigga Grant said, today's my birthday and as a gift, can chafford tell me tell the truth for one whole day?
Speaker 3: And Shannon no notes, change nothing, love y'all, No, no, what she wanted. She wants for her birthday. Her gift is that you tell the truth the whole day.
Speaker 7: Well, hell I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't lie.
Speaker 5: Anything I talk about on Nightcap is about personal experience through my lifetime. You have to understand, I've been doing this fifty six years. I've done everything that we've talked about, and that's what that's what people fail to realize. I've done and experience everything. I've traveled the world. I've been through all types of all types of different things that people don't even know. You know, I've done trades and done all types of stuff. So it's good for me to have this platform to kind of share with y'all because you only see me as a former football player, not realizing I've lived I've lived two three lives already, So nothing I've ever I might exaggerate a little bit, I might exaggerate a little bit.
Speaker 7: But everything I talk about I've done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, that what we do.
Speaker 1: So Nicki, happy birthday, Happy birthday, and hopefully you enjoyed the day, did something special, had a lot to eat, got some good food, hung out with some family and friends and loved ones. And so thank you for Nikki, for always You've been great. Nicki was probably probably one of our first five. She had to be like, I don't know if she was first, but she had to be top five for sure. And you want us to go ahead and Nikki, you want them to know Nicki is now an official member at shay Shape Media. We just hired Nikki. Hey, congratulations, So Nicki is officially on the payroll.
Speaker 3: Damn, how much you gotta pay? Now? How about y'all? How much? Oh these are? How about y'all?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: How much is my bill? He went up with up some more?
Speaker 1: Damn I'm probably not about three hundred fifty thousand now, huh three twenty five?
Speaker 3: Damn?
Speaker 1: All right, y'all better hurry up. I ain't paying no more than five hundred. I got five hundred. Y'all been trying to break a world ricking. After five hundred, you out of gas.
Speaker 3: That's it. That's it. Yeah bad.
Speaker 1: Uh. We've had a couple of people, mean Shannon, Adrian, he runs Shannon Sharp, burner account.
Speaker 7: He works he that at Burner count funny brother, he worked for us.
Speaker 1: Uh and now NICKI so uh, Nicky has been great, Like I said, she's been great. Adrian is great. He was my burn account and so you never know, guys, you never know. I like I like, you know, helping people. I like people that want to see Chase shed media grow. I like people to have a vested interest. And that's that's gonna work hard. And we understand we do one thing here.
Speaker 3: We work. Yeah, there ain't nowhere around it. We work here.
Speaker 1: And so congratulations Nikki, well deserved, well earned. I appreciate all your support that you've given us. Thank you guys for tuning in. Hopefully you enjoyed the Michael Johnson interview.
Speaker 3: Mike was great.
Speaker 1: Like I said, I've known it for so many years. And what better way you talk about one of the most distinguished sprinters in all in all in history. Oh yeah, the greatest four hundred meter runner in the history and it's not even close. So thank you, Mike. I really appreciate that we got a special guest for you tomorrow. Make sure you tune in tomorrow. H thank you you guys for joining us for another episode of Nightcap. I am your favorite on Shannon Sharp, He's your favorite, Number eighty five, The rock Runner Extraordinary, the Bengal Ring of Fame, Artery, the Pro Bowler, the all pro Liberty Cities Own that's Chad o Cho Senko Johnson.
Speaker 3: Please make sure y'all hit that like button.
Speaker 1: Please make sure you hit that subscribe button and go tell family, friends and loved ones. Man, y'all really should subscribe to a Nightcap cause yeah, and oh Cho Man, they be on one all the time. Guys, please make sure you go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. We value all subscribers. Every subscriber counts, so thank you for helping us get to the top of the charts. Hopefully we'll continue to stay there by bringing you great content. Please make sure you take check out my shave by La Portier. We have it in stock so we'll be able to get that to you promptly. Please make sure you go follow my media company page on all platforms, shay Shape Media and my clothing company eighty four. That's eighty four speiled out. Thank you guys for telling out our Olympic merch. Please link the rest of our merch in that pen at the top of the chat. Uh. If you order Olympic merch, it will be shipped in under two weeks. Remember under two weeks. Again, thank you Mike for joining us. Hopefully you enjoyed the conversation. I'm uh, he's ocho. We're back tomorrow, We're out.